Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H. Garden Line with Skip Rictor. It's shoes crazy trip.
Speaker 2: You can just watch him as worlds. There are so many good thanks to sleep bats in gay gass, back sides, gas, sun beam and down between gasp.
Speaker 1: Well, good morning, Good Sunday morning, gardener. Good to have you with us this morning. Welcome to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Rictor, and we're here to help you have a beautiful garden, a bountiful garden and more fun in the whole process of it. Gardening is a blast. My happy place. One of my happy places is out in the garden. Another one is talking to gardeners. That would be you. Whether you know it or not, you are a gardener. I believe that with all my heart. I really do. Don't tell me about brown thumbs. There is no such thing as a brown thumb. There's only uninformed thumbs. And we're gonna inform your thumb. And if you want to talk about your thumb like it has a color, well we're gonna turn your thumb green by teaching your thumb a few things. And all of a sudden you'll find that, I don't know, you may be walking across the yard and drop a pencil on the ground. Next morning you come out and it's rooted and grown into a pine tree. I'm just saying, right, okay, I mean that's that's making a big claim for garden Line. But we're gonna give it our best shot. How about that. If you'd like to give me a call, here's how you do it. If I can find my number from me seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k TRCH believe it or not, I have to stick that number up in front of me because as many times as I've said it, in the moment I need it, just that's not always there. Right, all right, we'll give us a call. We'll talk about the things that you are interested in. For sure. You hear me talk about Peerscapes a lot. Pier Scapes is the professional landscape company. Then we talk about all the time on guarden Line. The folks at Peerscapes, I don't care what you need, they can do it. And it's really true. Go online, look at their website Piercescapes dot com, Pierscapes dot com and just kind of click around in it. Look at their social media too. Lots of pictures of jobs they've done. Maybe you are looking at that backyard spot kind of outside the back door alongside the house, and you're thinking, you know, a patio would be really nice. Maybe some stone out there, we could set up some tables and just enjoy things. How about a little barbecue put over here in the side. Maybe we need a little rock wall going around this bed. And you just keep imagining and get the inspiration from pierscapes dot com. You can find a lot of things there. Now you give them a call, you get set up, come in, let's talk about what you're going to do. What do you want. Maybe it's revamping a bed, Maybe it's just the whole landscape. You know, I want to do a complete landscape. They can do that. You're driving around one night and you see beautiful lighting on somebody's home and you just think, you know, that would be a good security thing to have. Plus it's gorgeous going out at night. They can do that. You got a wet spot that doesn't drain well, they can fix that. Pierscapes does it all. Also, they do quarterly maintenance, like, for example, once every three months. Coming out looking at your beds, sprucing them up, getting any weeds out, replenishing the mulch that's in the bed, making sure that irrigation is working well. As the season's change, you can arrange for various we call them color changes, you know, going from pansies to petunia. In other words, as you come out of winter, there's there's nothing that they can't do, and when they get through doing it, it looks great. Pierscapes dot Com. Here's the phone number if you like to call them. Two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty two eight one three seven oh five zero six zero. This afternoon, I have some things I'm wanting to get my hands on, uh in as far as gardening is concerned, and one of them is some plant propagation. I've got several different plants that I want to propagate, in other words, make more of and you can do that by seed. That's what nature does every day, is casting seeds out from one plant to grow more. And you can also do it about cuttings. There's other ways to propagate as well. But I'm going to be doing some cutting rooting myself, and I just haven't gotten around to it. I've got a little light table indoors. That's a nice quality light. You get a good loose media one that grows. Excuse me that that you can moisten, but that isn't sop and soggy wet. Really important to have good oxygen down at the bottom of the cuttings when you put them down in a growing mix to root them. I've got some rooting hormone I keep in the refrigerator. That's how you keep it fresh. And it's just a dust. You can also buy it as a liquid. Just put a little around the cutting, put it down into the mix that you are going to use for rooting, and then some kind of clear cover over the top that allows all the light to get through, but it doesn't allow the moisture out. You don't need them to dry out. Think about this, that cutting has no way of taking up moisture. It is rootless when you put it in there. But as it develops roots, then it can begin to take up its own moisture. And you don't have to pull it out every day to look at it and see if it has roots. If you do that, a little tender root will break off and the cutting will die. So you just wait and when you see new growth starting on your cuttings, new little growth starting to grow out. You know it's got something down that's taking up nutrients to support that growth, and that means it has a root. Rather than yank it out, I'll take a little fork, like to use a little plastic fork just to get underneath the cutting, kind of lift it up with the fork and then kind of shake it just a little bit and you can see the rooting media begin to fall off and you can see the roots. Then you pot it up into a new container and you're good to go. Anyway. I've got several people that are wanting some plants that I have, and so I'm just going to root some cuttings today and get some of that done. It's some the other day as well. It's a lot of fun to do it now. Once they're kind of established with some roots on them, they don't need to stay indoors under lights. It's just it's so blazing hot in the months to come that I just usually start mine inside to do that. There's one other way that you can start a cutting that's almost like guaranteed success. It's close to guaranteed success, and that is with what's called a layer la ye er. So let's say you have a vining rows, you know, a climbing they call them climbing roses. But and you go out toward the end of the vine and you bend it, and as you bend that it sort of cracks and it becomes like a hinge, like an like your elbow. Okay, so picture your elbow. Your fist is the end of the vine. And you put that elbow under ground or in a pot under the soil, have some way to pin it down. Set a heavy rock on it, take a little bent coat hanger and pin it down into the soil. Keep that area moist. That wound will begin to callous where your elbow is, and roots will begin to form, and you just kind of have to check on it periodically, not very often, every couple of weeks, maybe a little bit. And once it's going got roots of its own, you cut it loose from mom. In other words, between your I keep using my arm as the example, but between your elbow and your bicep. You know it's connected to your body that way, right, So you just cut it off there and now it's its own plant. You can dig it up. I like to do it in containers, because then you've already got it in a container and you just keep going anyway. There's a lot of ways to propagate, and propagating is fun. It's a great way to share things also that you just can't find anywhere. You know, maybe or maybe a plant has a wonderful memory, you know, like it's one that you got from Grandma's house before she passed. And now the house is gone, it's no longer in the family, but everybody remembers that you fill in the blank a shrub that was outside, uh, and now you can share that with your other family members as a memory of Grandma, for example. See what I'm talking about. It's good to know how to do some cuttings. Well, I'll tell you what we are getting my excuse me, uh, looking at a time to take a break here. I'll come right back, and Lisa in Seabrook, you're gonna be our first stop when we come back. Alrighty, welcome back. Good to have you with us here on garden Line. Look forward to visiting with you about the questions you might have this morning. Seven one three two one two kat r let's go out to the phones. Now we're going to head out to Seabrook and visit with Lisa. Hello, Lisa, Welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Good morning. We're looking for a small white flowering tree, and yesterday I saw something called by Burnham. Does that row well here?
Speaker 1: Well, there's about one hundred and fifty different by Burnham's literally probably more than that out there. There's some that make little small bushes or some that get a little bit taller. Some do okay here, and some do very well here, and some need to be further north. It's kind of a it's kind of hard to answer as a single question, but there are a few that do really good. There one that you might like. There's some native ones, and if I were you, I would you're done in Seabrook, I'd run over to Moss Nursery and ask them what kinds they have, what kins they can get that will be more tree form. If you go a little further west from here, Rusty black Harvo Burnham is really popular as a native tree. We have a number of native I Burnhams here in the country, and so that one is good. It can be a little tricky to get started, but once it's established it's nice. It has fall color and makes little berries that attract the birds and things. But yeah, it just depends on which one. The southern arrow wood, I wouldn't say it's tree size, but it can get a little bit larger. That would be a possibility. Just make sure you get the southern one. So those are some of the things if you're looking for other kinds of trees. Now, the Chinese fringe I like a lot, but it gets it probably you're going to see it eventually up around twenty feet maybe tall is a tree. I don't know if that's too big for what you're looking for or not. Okay, okay. It has shaggy white blooms in the spring. You can do an online search to see pictures of it. And the blooms have a nice little fragrance, very light fragrance. But there's so many of them that when you walk around, you pick that fragrance up, which is nice.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you, you bet.
Speaker 4: You bet.
Speaker 1: We'll go over and talk to him at mosque because they know what they're talking about over there, and they can you know, they can point you in the right direction. If there's a specific by Burnham you like to, you run across and you want to call back some time, I'd be happy to visit with you about you know, more specifics, but most of them think of most by Burnhams as big shrubs, and some of them can be trained into kind of a tree form and do pretty good. All right, Lisa, Well, thanks for the call. Good luck with that. You take care if you are dealing with gray leaf spot in your Saint Augustine, and you may well be. Listen, gray leaf spots everywhere and the conditions, environmental conditions make it become a problem. Okay, So you go all through the heat of summer and you see very little greatly spot at that time. But about now the temperatures are a little milder, but we're getting more rainfall. And then some people turn their sprinklers on way too often, and that's when Gravey's spot takes off. An eagle turf fungicide from nitrofoss can shut it down. It can shut it down. Just remember your overwatering is one of the things contributing to gray leaf spot in your Saint Augustine lawns. So number one's let's back off good soaking not very often when you need to treat for it. Eagle turf fungicide, Eagle turf fung aside from nitrofoss You're gonna find Eagle at Ace Hardware. City of Memorial. You're gonna find an m dat and Rosenberg Bearings hardware on Bisonette and on West Timer, and also plants fall seasons, plants for all seasons as well. All righty, let's now head out the League City and we're going to talk to Walter this morning. Hey Walter, good morning.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 5: I sent you an email with quick tim regarding the lawn changing colors to yellow, and I sent three pictures along with the emails. Now, I forgot to mention to you as something funny. Something funny is that I have two oak trees and the leaves are like green and yellow, and it seems to me that the lawn is taking over the color of the yellow from the trees. I don't know if that's a possibility or not, but I follow your schedule and watering and fertilizing, and I'm not really sure why this yellow. And it looks like I'm the only one in the block that getting the grass that is yellow.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I have your pictures. I want you to after we talk today and the sun comes up, go out and pick some of the yellowish grass blades and hold them up to the light. And I think what you're going to see is when you look close, it's striped yellow and green through up and down the length of the grass blade. That's an iron deficiency. And I'm ninety nine percent sure you're going to see that based on the photos from a distance that you sent me. If that's true, you can try an iron supplement on the lawn and that will help replace the there's iron in your soil. The grass can't get it because it's in a form. Grass is not able to pick up right now. So a supplement can help green it up for you, and that would be a good idea. Be very careful with your iron supplement because you've got driveways and walkways and things. And if you get iron supplements on concrete, it stains at a rust color. So after you apply it, get your blower broom and get it off the surfaces and then watered in really good. It should do pretty good. I think you will also do well if you get it as a liquid form. A fertile home has a micro nutrient iron and other micro nutrients supplement. It's by fertile home. It's in a gray bottle, and it has more than just iron, It has manganese and other things in it. And I might just do it that way, maybe a hose hose en sprayer, and that ought to green it up. Now, having set all that, the question is why isn't the grass getting the iron that's there in your soil one form One reason may be if you have high pH or hyphosphorus or other things, or there's a lack of iron. But another may be a disease called take all root rot, which kills roots. And when roots die, their ability to take up nutrients goes down, or you may if they're not there, they can't take them up at all. So the overall grass plant is lacking because it doesn't have enough of a root system to do that. If take all is the problem, you're just going to need to go to my schedule, my schedule on my website UH for UH Lawn Pest Disease and weed Management, and you'll see take all root run in the fungicide row going across and it tells you when, and then at the bottom it tells you what to use to control the take all. I can't diagnose take all just from a distant picture of a lawn, but having seen this so many times, I would say there's a fifty to fifty chance that take All may be involved. But still that fertilum supplement would be a good IDEA.
Speaker 5: Great, thanks so much. That's very comprehensive, and have a wonderful.
Speaker 1: Day, all right, hopefully not too comprehensivell right, thank you, Walter. I appreciate, appreciate your call very much. It's it's summer season, and when it's summer, there are storms, and whether there are storms, our trees can sustain severe damage. Remember last summer, two storms came through and what was power out for two weeks with each one, and at least some places around town. You need to pureniture right to develop good structure. And by the way, printing starts when you put the tree in the ground. It's a little scrainy tree in the ground. That's when we call it training at that stage, but it's pruning that's when it begins. If you wait until the tree is twenty feet high to begin pruning, you're messing up because you've already developed narrow branch angles. There's already structural things that aren't going to be good and strong. So you want to start your trees early. And that's where I would hire someone to come in and help you with the training from the beginning. But if you already have an established tree, you need someone that knows what they're talking about to do the pruning. And that process is not it's not that difficult. Just remember that. It's like a lot of things in life. The sooner you deal with an issue, the less problems you're going to have, the less difficulty you're going to have and trying to deal with it. Okay, don't put things off, don't be an ostrich, put your head in the scind if. I like to tell people this, if if you go outside with a saw, you're admitting guilt. And here's what that means. If you have a young tree and you see branches and you go, this isn't a good spot. I'm going to take my lopper prunters and prune this off and you stay with it diligently like that, you almost never need to get the saw out. Okay, now, I realize there's situations where you got to solve branches, but I'm just trying to keep create the concept that the bigger the branches you're sawing off, the more you have put off a problem that could have been dealt with earlier. So don't from the time it goes in the ground begin the prunting process and get somebody that knows what they're doing. Affordable Tree Service Martin Spoonmore's company. You heard about him on garden Line for a long long time. They know what they're doing. You can call seven one three six nine nine two six sixty three get an appointment. It's a family company. Martin's mom's probably going to answer the phone. UH, and just tell her you heard about it on Guardenline. Because Guardenline customers go to the front of their line. They're the priority. They're the priority. So and they fill Affordable Tree stays busy. They they fill up really quickly because they do good work and people know them. So seven one three six nine nine two six sixty three. And it's not just for pruning, it's for advising on your trees. If you're going to do construction around a tree, you gotta call them to come in.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is a third generation company that's been in the Houston area taking care of our trees for a long time. Affordable tree Service seven one three six nine nine two six six three Important to take care of your trees, all right, take care of your trees, all right. Well, I'm gonna take a little break here, David and Tumbull. I don't have time to give you justice on your call. Will take you first when we come right back. Oh yeah, welcome back to the guard line. Folks. What are we going to talk about today? You told me. I mean, I got a lot of things I can talk about a lot on my mind gardening wise, but hey, this is about you. It's about your yard, your garden, your flower bed. Let me give you one encouragement today this week, well this week, how about today? Today? Be a good day anyway, Get involved with a kid with gardening, if you've got children, if you've got grandchildren, however you go about it, get a kid out there in the garden, get their hands in the dirt, and let them just get dirty, make a mess, and have fun in the soil. That is part of the fun of gardening. I know some of you, you know, have sterilized kind of situations. You keep kids in because you know when to get sick. A kid that plays in the dirt. And this is medically true. When we're exposed to a lot of things like that, running around barefoot and stuff, it builds your immune system and you're healthier. But a child that learns to grow flowers and vegetables and things is more likely to eat healthier Because I grew it, I'm going to eat it. It's really different. Broccoli looks different when you grew it, as opposed to when your mom's trying to shove it down your throat.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: Oh, by the way, today is National go barefoot Day, so throw the shoes off. Nobody wears shoes today National barefoot Day. Oh boy, I remember those days running barefoot all summer. There we go. All right, we're gonna go out. The phones out, I'm gonna head the tumball. We're gonna talk to David this morning. Hey, David, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Good morning, sir.
Speaker 7: Hey.
Speaker 8: I've got a grapefruit tree and a meyer lemon tree that I planted about the same time, about a little over a year ago. And the grapefruit tree, they both were probably about a foot and a half tall when I put them in the ground, and the grapefruit tree now is about four feet tall. It's it's the limbs are spreading out. It looks really good. It's doing real well. The meyer lemon, if it was a foot tall when I planted it, it's only a foot and a half tall now and it's not doing at the same rate. Is that just normal for that type of fruit? Or doing something wrong?
Speaker 5: Not that not that.
Speaker 1: Unusual? Uh that that lack of growth. So it could be a lot of things, and it could be more than one too, probably not just one. Uh, lack of sunlight, lack of good drainage in the soil, lack of moisture, depend upon the soil going into a stress. Well there erutriance done in them.
Speaker 8: Well they're only about ten feet apart from each other. And I'm putting the microt the tickers and fruit. I've been putting that down about every two months, and I'm going it's just not seem for what there it littles healthy.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, you're doing everything you should do. Uh, good sunlight. Let's see the other the other thing. And I doubt this is the cause. But just keep in mind that in the early days of these the early years for two or three years of these plants getting the fruit off so that it puts all its energy into growing gives you way more fruit in the long run. You know, I know, we want we've got a little bloom. We want to have a fruit, a few fruit. But that also really stunts them back. But I don't know what else to tell you if it's really too early for it to be a girdle a girdled stem. But you might just dig down around the base of the stem and make sure there's not something strangling the stem. Sometimes the little tag, those little tags that loop around and go through you know, there's a hole in the tag and you wrap it around the tree and go back through the hole. Sometimes those can be real tight on the base of a stem or something else strangling like that. I don't think that's the problem. But we're kind of grabbing at straws here because everything else that could go wrong you seem to have done right. So I'll just continue to fertilize. You might want to give them a little boost of something with some nitrogen and see if you can push a little bit more growth on them. That would be good. Are you real sure that the soil where that lemon is is very well drained.
Speaker 8: I only imagine because I mean they're both on pretty level ground. They're only about ten feet apart from each other. So I'm going, well, I don't know, Okay, I'll take and see you.
Speaker 1: But okay, well, okay, well I'm going to eliminate that then from the possibilities, but I would get a booster nitrogen.
Speaker 9: You know, the.
Speaker 1: Product you're using for microlife is excellent, but they also have a supplement that it's called bio bio Matrix. It's a little orange quart bottle and you can folier spray with that as well, and I would try a drench of that. It's a seven one three, I believe I need to look at the bottle again the third number. It's something like a seven one three. It's got mostly nitrogen and you just drench it over the soil in a watering can. Can spray it on foliage. It's hard to get folier feed and a citrus, but if you try to do that, do it early, early in the morning when it's cool, and spray your folier spray upward to hit the bottom of the leaves, and you may get a little bit of a boost into the plant. That way, but a good drenching of the root system is also good. That That's about all I got for you now, other than going out there and uh, threatening the plant that you're going to yank it out of the ground and throw it in the burn pile if it start growing, and that I go out there and sing you how's your well? Do you have a good voice, because that could also be the problem that might be growth.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you for the call. Appreciate that. All right, let's see here where we we're going to go now to a task. Casita and doctor Jim, Hey Jim, welcome to guarden Line.
Speaker 10: Good morning.
Speaker 11: The best way check moisture in the ground.
Speaker 3: How do you do it?
Speaker 10: Another one?
Speaker 11: You're checking your trees?
Speaker 1: Are we talking about fairly new planeted trees, you know, in the first couple of years or what are.
Speaker 4: We talking about?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Okay, all new, they're all new.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, the just the simple primitive way would be to go out there, get you a hand trowel or something, dig down about four inches or so, about four or five inches, and then just feel the soil and see how it's doing and kind of get a feel from it. That way literally a feel from it.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: There are moisture meters that are very erratic in their accuracy, depending on so particle size and as to how well they actually measure. When it's a tree in an area that you think maybe getting could get too much water, some people will put a pipe down into the grain. And let's say, I'm going to just make up a number here, but let's say you got a pipe that was about oh an inch and half in diameter and you put it down into the ground at the depth of the root ball that you planted. Then you can come along with a little doll stick and stick it down in that pipe and then pull it back out and you can see if it's wet at the bottom or not. You can see if they're standing water in it or if you see what I'm saying, and you always want to water it and don't overwater it. That that keeps you from kind of overwatering it, because if water is coming up in that pipe, that's not good. But the only other thing is just going by the temperatures and doing a good moderate soaking just periodically to help it along. And that's you know, you kind of have to learn your soil, if you have sandy soil or clay soil or whatever, frequency of watering is going to vary a lot. Okay.
Speaker 11: And also was just told that you should never water a newly planted tree day. Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Well, that is a very good question.
Speaker 11: And the reason why they said that because you should give you should give the roots a chance to expand and find water on their own. Is that true?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say it that way. I tell you what here in a nutshell is the deal on this when you buy it. Let's see, you know, butterle of tree for a tree whatever, and it's sitting in a garden center. They're watering it every day to make sure it has a good soaking and it stays wet. It depends on the time and it's cooler and cloud and stuff. They're not watering it every day. But my point is it needs constant water because the whole root system is right there in the pot, and the holes drain out well, so you don't overwater it, so it doesn't hurt the water like that. When you put it in the ground, the root system is still the same and the top is still pumping water out through the leaves on warm sunny days, so you are having to water frequently to keep that little root ball moist. You don't want to overwater it and get soggy. That is deadly to a tree. But on the other hand, even in moist soil, the water can't wig end fast enough into that root ball to supply the tree. You're going to need to water the base of it. And gradually you're watering a bigger area but less frequently, And it's just a it's a transition. That's why it's so much better to plant and fall and winter in spring because the demands aren't so high. When you plant in July and August, you can you can plant then and keep a tree alive. But that it's a touch and goat thing. Not too much water, not enough water, you know what I'm saying. So what you said about watering every day, Yeah, I could see a situation where you would water very lightly every day that rootball, just don't overwater it. That's early on, But as soon as you can, you're wanting to back off, and you're wanting to switch your watering cycle to where eventually within by the time that you get the end of the first summer, you should be watering about once a week, and that ought to be more than enough.
Speaker 10: The next question you mentioned, Hey, hey.
Speaker 1: Jim, I'm gonna have to put I might to put you on. I got to put you on. Who go to a break? Hang on, we'll come back. Alrighty, we're hopping here on Guarden Line. Good to have you with us. I guess what I did yesterday? I barbecued. I had a go ahead time barbecue with my new pellet grill that I got at Ace Hardware. Our ACE Hardware is yours if you are thinking, if you're in the market for a barbecue bit or any accessories to go with it. And I'm talking about the best brands you can think of out there. I mean the you know, things like Big Green Egg, things like Trager, things like Rectick, things like oh gosh, what's Weber? There's another one in there more. I mean, I'm not naming them all. Ace Hardware has got it and they've got all the accessories you need to go with them. Uh, you need to find your local Ace Hardware store Ace Hardware Texas dot com. Listen, ladies, Father's Days coming up. I'm just saying, wow, this would be a good one. Ace Hardware Texas dot com. Find your local ACE Hardware store. They're all over the place, and at Acehardware Texas dot Com you can find out of course when you're in there, get some fertilizer for your lawn, get all the kinds of things you need to have a beautiful outdoor living experience. You can go to All Star Ace and Spring up on Rayford Road. You can go to K and M in Kingwood, which is on Kingwood Drive. There's also a K and M at task Asita, which is in an humble address out there on the east to the north and east of us Cyprus Ace on Jones Road another good example. And if you're done in Deer Park, there's deer Park Ace, deer Park Lumber, Ace Hardware on Center Street. That's just a few of the many, many ACE Hardware stores that you'll find at ACE Hardware Texas dot Com. We're going to go now back to a task Asita and Jim, I think you had a quick follow up question.
Speaker 11: Right, and also to help you out on that that Microlife Biometrics is a seven to one three Ye that last call you have seven three okay, yeah, okay, yeah. When mixing I mix the four to two three with the microlife, soil and plant energy. I made a mix of that. You have mentioned something about spring. You said spray upwards under the leaf, but if you just spray inside and under it and all around, that also helps correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the reason folio feeding is an unnatural way for plants to kind of take in nutrients there. Plants are designed taking nutrients from the roots. Okay, but if you follow your feed in the morning, the stomates, which are little openings in the bottom of the leaf are open, and you get better take in of the nutrients. And not all nutrients are taken in the same on leaves for folio feeding. Centris tends to have a waxy kind of leaf surface anyway, a little shining, and so just spraying over the top you're not going to get the uptake. But in the morning, when the stowmates are open, spring upward to the undersurfaces would be the way to go about that. All righty, thank you sir. I'm gonna I'm gonna need yeah, I'm gonna need to run, but thanks for the call. Jim. Look forward to, uh, you know, seeing some pictures of these these beautiful trees that you're taking care of you take care you too, talking about the ace hardware and just you know, find everything you need there. They have everything. I mean they have. You can get the propane tank there. If you've got a gas type grill, that's another another thing. Uh, and any kind of outdoor beautification around, you know, a patio of landscape stuff. They've got all this good stuff for it. Hey, have you been to Plants for All Seasons recently? Plants for All Seasons is at Luetta and Tumball Parkway, which is highway to So if you're going north from Houston toward Tomball, you exit Luetta across over Luetta and it's right there on the right hand side. And if you're a green thumb, you probably already know about Plants for All seasons. If you think you have a brown thumb, well, I'll take your thumb in there and they'll educate it. They know what they're doing. They're true lawn and garden experts. They really know their stuff. Right now, they've got some beautiful hidden gingers in a number of different types of hidden ginger. They carry a variety of plants. I'm just picking one out hidden ginger. If you've got a bright, bright shady area is a perfect plant for that. It's got a big kind of a can of leaf sized leaf, maybe a little smaller than that, and then these bloomstalks that are just beautiful. They make a cup flowers too, by the way, but they come up from the center of the plant. That's why they call it hidden because it's not like the bloom is just sitting way above the foliage. It's kind of in the top of the plant there. Beautiful and you got they got them plants for all seasons, which isn't a surprise. They carry everything that would turn your lawn into a more or your landscape into a more beautiful place in the springtime. If you want to get them a call two eight one three seven six sixteen forty six two eight one three seven six one six four six. You're listening to Gardenline. I'm your host, Skip Richter. We're about to take a little break here for the top of the hour news and we'll be back with your calls. Sunday morning is always a good time to call because it's a little bit quieter. People more sleepy heads on Sunday mornings seven one three, two one two fifty eight, seventy four or if you want to dial by letter seven eight seven one three two one two ktr H seven one three two and two k t r H. And we're going to take a little break here in just a second. I want to remind you that my schedules are online and they are free. Go to gardening with Skip dot com. Gardening with Skip dot com. That's where you're gonna find him.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 1: The lawn care schedule is there. The pests, disease and weed management schedule is there. The publication on herbicide products for application with my weed wiper or without the weed wiper is there. I got to call yesterday someone had a grassy weeds and they wanted to kill the grass, but not kill their pretty flowers in the bed. Well, there are actually some products on the schedule they just kill grass. So whatever kind you're going after, it's right there. Good article on lawn care long Care one oh one. I would highly recommend that you read that. It talks about some of the basics of success with lawns and then, of course, you know me, you got to talk about dirt. Great gardens begin with great soil. Another new publication up on Gardeningwiskip dot com well, welcome back to gardening. Gardening on garden Line. That's what we're doing here, plant in the airways. I guess you could say, I don't know, tell that sounds a little bit corny to me. But we want to help you have success. And today is going to be a good day to get out and enjoy this afternoon, we're gonna have some nice weather at least, you know, as far as I'm concerned whether we can we can actually get out and get a little bit done in Sometimes when it comes to gardening and gardening tasks, I think we we tend to kind of make something bigger than it needs to be. You know, we think, oh my gosh, I got to do this, I don't know how to do this and stuff. It's really it's really not that difficult, and when you take it in small chunks, it works pretty good.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm I need to take my own advice there, because I get out gardening and I feel like I got to get it all done today, you know, and I go and go Instead of spending a short time out getting some things done and going doing some other stuff come back to another time. I just tend to stick around and nothing else nothing else gets done that day but my gardening. And when summer comes and it's blazing hot, that is not a good way to do. Get a little work done early, early in the morning, get maybe a little done toward the end of the day. It's still warm at the end day. But pace yourself. Take care of yourself too, by the way, take care of yourself because a lot of things that they sneak up on us. For example, a heat stroke is one that can sneak up on you. I remember, I've never had heat stroke. I have had heat exhaustion, and that scared me enough to kind of get my attention. But skin damage, you know, take care of that. I bought some little sleeves that you slide up your arm. They're actually a kind that like bicyclists might wear. On one end your thumb, there's a hole for your thumb and your fingers to come out, and the sleeve just goes over the top of your hand and all the way back, all the way up into your bicep underneath your short sleeve shirt. And I use those driving in the car, but I also get out there and do some gardening. There's some nice brands out there. Come in different colors and shape, sizes and things. But take care of your skin. Sun damages is cumulative. And these sleeves you may be thinking, yeah, it's blazing hot. I don't wear them. It's cooler to wear them. When I put that sleeve on, it's very it's very thin, a very kind of spandexy, I guess very you know, stretchy. And when I go out and if your body perspires just a little bit, it cools off real fast. It blocks the direct sun from getting on. You just got good SPF factor and it makes gardening easier. The first time someone convinced me that gardening in a long sleeve shirt was actually cooler than gardening and shirt sleeves, and it's really true, especially if it wicks the moisture away pretty well. All right, well that's enough advice. I'm not your mom, but I do. I do like to remind people of those things because they are important. We want you to take care of yourself. Out in the garden yesterday we were watching the birds coming to our feeder. I have the eliminator feeder from wild Birds Unlimited. It's one of my several feeders, but the eliminator from wild Birds on Limited. The squirrels can't get in it. They climb up the pole, they try to reach over there. When they grab a hold of it, the door shuts and they can't get to the food. And they don't like that, and I do like that. And we were watching birds coming to the feeders, and just so many kinds of birds now are out and about. You know, it's nesting season. This is a time when birds need an extra powerful blend that's going to have the oils, the proteins, the calcium and things like that that are all part of everything from laying eggs to skeletal development of the birds. And wild Birds Unlimited has something called Nesting Super Blend. It's only available there. You can't get it anywhere else. You can buy it in bags, you can buy it by those compressed seed cylinders. So whatever kind of feeder you have, you can put the Nesting super Blend in it, and you need to. It is a good support for our birds at this time. Now you're going to find Nesting Super Blend at any of our six wild Birds Unlimited stores here in the Houston AIO. So if you're listening to me and you're up in Cypress, well, there's one on Barker Cypress. Maybe you're kind of West Houston and a Memorial Drive store would be the one close to you. Maybe kind of south in a little to the west, the bel Air store may be the best one for you. If you're in Pairland on East Broadway, you'll find a wild Birds. In clear Lake, there's one on El Dorado, and in Kingwood on Kingwood Drive another wild Bird's unlimited store. Now, while you're there, check out everything they have and spend some time talking to them. Take your questions, and these folks know what they're talking about. They really do. They're experts, and if you have questions, they can help you. They can help you find the solutions. I love their bird seed for a number of reasons, but mainly because it is quality seed without all the filler. If you want to sell bird seed and you want to sell it cheap, and I use the word cheap not in a positive way, you just fill it full of the lower red bebes. And I've seen bird seed that is like sixty seventy percent red bebes. That's a sortum and it just birds don't like that. That's not I mean, if they're starving to death, de leat it, but that is not what they like. It ends up on the ground and it sprouts, and now you got weeds under your bird feeder because you planted the weeds there by putting that in the feeder. Get a quality feed. Wild Birds Unlimited has blends for different seasons. They have different blends for different kinds of birds, different groups of birds, and then they have something called no mess blends. So when you get a no mess blend, you're getting this certain amount of certain kinds of seed blend, but you're getting it so there's zero mess. For example, if there's sunflowers in it, the shells are already off, so you don't have a blow pole sunflower shells underneath the feeder. That's the no messed option, no mess option, and they will will sell you probably and cylinders if you want to go that way, or loose bags, however you want to go about it. They have quality products and you see the difference. I've seen it in my feeders, just the enthusiasm and the amount of birds that are coming. They're just lining up down the block to get in there. Because I love quality seed, and that's exactly what they get from wild Birds unlimited. All right, So there you go. If you've never gotten into birds, you need to try. Just get one bird feeder, put it out where you sit in the morning with your cup of coffee, and you will really really enjoy it. It is addictive. Though you've been warned all right on talking about gardening and garden line. I wanted to talk a little bit about some herbs today, and I'm not going to have time to get too far into them here before I take a break, but I just wanted to start with basil. Basil loves hot weather. I didn't even want to grow when it's cool spring weather. It wants hot weather. And there are so many kinds of basil from the standard Genoees kind of type basil that you would think of when you're thinking about cooking with basil and making pestos and things like that, to all these flavored basils. You know, there's basils that are a lemony flavor. I have the African blue basil. I'm not particularly fond of it culinary wise, but some people love that flavor. There's basils with the licorice type of flavor, the tie basil and things, and I grow the African blue just for the pollinators. I've never seen a plant that's just so covered with pollinators all the time. Is African blue basil when it goes to blum. It's a very good, hardy plant. But why not add some basil to your gardens this year. It could go in a flower bed, it can go in a vegetable garden. It doesn't matter where you put it in a container. But we went out the other day and we were harvesting herbs. One of my daughters was out chopping through our oregano bringing some in because we were doing some cooking. And it's just nice having fresh herbs yourself, and they're not hard to grow. I'll talk about that more. We come back. All right now, we're gonna take a little break if you'd like to give me a call. Seven one three two one two KTRH. All right, folks, we're back. Good Davey back. Thanks for hanging around with us on garden Line this morning. We've got some interesting questions here. In fact, let's head up to Cyprus and visit with Martha this morning. Hey, Martha, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Thanks Jim. I had this plant. I got it a couple of years ago and had it repotted into a bigger pot, and I put it out on the atrium for.
Speaker 10: The cold weather and when I look and then.
Speaker 12: I forgot about it. So I looked at it just recently and it had grown tremendously and the big leaves had fallen down as you be. And I don't know whether to cut them off whether. I don't know what I should do with that plant. It's pretty healthy, but I don't know what to do with it.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, that's a kellal lily, the one you sent me the photos of. And Kellalies are wonderful plants, that is. You know, there's eight hundred thousand bazillion kinds of plants out there, and believe it or not, in almost forty years now, I haven't gotten around all of them yet. And so keller lily is one that I began working with more last year, and we planted a bunch of it, and I thought it in a pot, and we thought they had all died because they kind of shrunk back and shribbled. But I just set the pot out of the way because and the time at the moment to mess with it. In this spring, we came out the same thing as we looked and all of a sudden, here comes kllalilies out of the pot. Oh that's great, But yours look a little lanky and kellalily And it's a native environment. It's an African plant. I'm pretty sure that. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's right. Anyway, it gets a lot of sun, full sun kind of thing. Now, I've always felt like maybe we should put it in a little bit of a break from the hottest time of the day. So when we get into hotter summer weather, maybe give it a little bit of a very late day shade. But it'll be a more compact plant that way. When it gets super lanky and the petiols are thin of what you described, Martha and what's in your photos, they kind of flop over, and I wouldn't remove them. If they turn yellow, go ahead and cut them back near where they attach at the base. But they are capturing sunlight, and they're making carbohydrates, and they're feeding the little bulbs that are that are in the soil there. So make sure that you leave the leaves on as long as you can, as long as they're doing something for you.
Speaker 12: Well, is it better to plant it out in the ground.
Speaker 1: Some people do. Yeah, some people do. They they like consistently moist soil. It's a little dry, they're not going to be happy. So in a container, you need to water them regularly to keep that soul moist. Some people even go to the step of getting a tray that they can put water in and then they set the plant in that tray. And I don't mean like the plant is immersed in water. I mean just like maybe the bottom inch of the soil in the pot is underwater, and so it can constantly lick the water up. And that way you don't forget to water it. You just have to throw some mosquito dunks in there periodically, so you don't breed mosquitoes in that.
Speaker 12: Oh okay, okay, okay, all right, I'll try that. I mean because it looks really healthy. I was shocked when I looked at it because I hadn't looked at it for a lunch.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, look, no, it does look very healthy and it's beautiful.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 1: The sunlight they're capturing now helps build the energy reserves. And I said earlier a bulb, it's actually a rhizome to produce the flowers. So at the end of the season, your foliage is gonna, you know, just kind of disappear away and the plan will go dormant. And then in winter let them be dry, just let them sit, let the pots sit there, and you don't have to worry about water or anything in the winter. And then when the spring growth comes, you will have those bulbs that have the energy they need to be able to bloom better for you next year.
Speaker 12: Okay, okay, okay, all right, okay, thanks, I guess I'll keep it.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, you got to keep it? Yeah, you bet, you bet.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: Enjoy it. They're beautiful.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's in an atrium and it does get some there. But I should put it out, probably right, I mean I put it, I think so, yeah, from the winter.
Speaker 1: And yes, I but pot we had last year that I didn't have in good sunlight, uh, and then it came out this year. It was lanky like that because it's not an enough sun uh. And it had one we call them blooms, but their spaths, those those colorful structures that are on top of a calo lily. It only had one for the whole plant. And it's just because it didn't have the energy. It's all about sunlight. Carbon energy for any kind of I didn't.
Speaker 12: See any flowers at all. I didn't I've never seen any flowers on it. Do I need to feed it?
Speaker 1: Then we'll take good care of it, okay, all right? Well moderate, just just moderate something with a good phosphorus content. Yeah, just a oh gosh, yeah, just a moderate amount. As you can see, it doesn't lack for nitrogen. It's it's got some bigger in it. It looks okay, but just a moderate amount. Don't don't overdo it because then it gets real floppy and lanky. All right, thanks for the thanks for the call. I appreciate that, Martha. All right, next year, when you take care of it, uh, send me a picture of all the blooms on it. Will take a look at those. Uh yeah, kalallyes. You see those in stores now, they're selling them, you know, full of blooms. They have been for a little while now, they've been probably the last month I've been seeing them out there in stores. It's a good plant.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of plants like that. We just don't we don't use them enough and and deal with them enough, and they end up it's like that's hard to grow. It doesn't work.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: All you had need is to know is what a plant wants. You got to think like a plant, you know. That's why I said there's no green thumbs, there's just informed thumbs. Well, now, if you got a kalally, give it good sunlight, keep it constantly moist, do not let it dry out. Let it dry out in summer I mean in the winter, and set dormant and bring it back out and you'll have It's easy care. It really is easy. We did nothing, do nothing for our calilies from the end of the season all the way up until spring. When you start to see new growth. That's when you bring it out and give it some good sunlight again. All right, there you go, and some people, if some of you grow them in the shade in your beds, give me a call. I'd like to hear about what you do, how much light they get, and everything like that. I know you can, and so maybe that that would be of interest to some other folks to hear about your success. Medina. Medina is a lawn and garden product source for all kinds of good things. There are two products I want to tell you about right now. One of them is and they both go on a hose end. They're a bottle that has a little screw attachment onto the garden hose. One of them is Medina has to grow lawn, has to grow lawn. Remember when a bottle says the name of a plant, that doesn't mean you can't use it on other plants. It just means that's what they're primarily marketing it for, is lawns. Okay, it's a It is a twelve four eight. That's a three one two ratio, which is what I like to see in a lawn fertilizer. Twelve for a Medina has to grow on You look it up at the garden hose, you go over your lawn, just follow the instructions. It's easy. It's just really easy to do. I like it because if you've got some spots that they just need a boost, you can go out there with your hose end sprayer. The hose end sprayer be in the bottle itself and you can just kind of dose those areas, I say, feather it out into the others. You know, just you don't have just a line like with a dry fertilizer, where you drop it and then where it's not it's like green here, not green there. You can just kind of feather it out and really kind of give a boost to some little spots. But it's not just for that, it's for your lawn. The other product for Medina is called Supergrow Plus. Super Grow Plus same thing, bottle, hook it up to a garden hose. I mean these things are for sale in larger quantities too, like gallons. But Supergrow Plus is a sixteen zero two that is a boost of nitrogen and it's excellent for lawns. It works very very well. I've used both of them. I like both of them. I would recommend that you use both of them. And so it just gives you the ability to do that precision application. Now, if you get anything that needs a boost of nitrogen and get it growing. Could be your herb garden, could be your tomato plants and a vegetable garden or something else, you can use these Medina lawn products for that and it'll do the same good thing for those other plants as well. All righty Medina products from Medina. Now you're gonna find Medina products everywhere you go to Southwest Fertilizer. I mean they got probably every Medina product under the sun. You're going to find them at garden centers, you know you're your independent garden centers. You're going to find them at feed stores. You're going to find them at these hardware stores. They're widely available, easy to find, and they work, that's the bottom line. As they work. You're listening to garden Line. My number here is seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kt RH makes it really easy to give a call and we'll talk about the things that are of interest to you. I'm going to go back to herbs. I was talking about herbs before break and I mentioned the fact that basil loves heat. It's easy, easy, easy to grow. Give it lots of sun and enjoy it. Most types of basil will start to bloom and set seeds. If you're going for basil foliage to eat, that's not a good thing because when it starts blooming and setting seeds, it doesn't produce the big, old, nice leaves that you're wanting to harvest. It kind of runs out and it puts all its energy into blooming and setting seed. That's when the pollinators get very interested in it, though, so you can go for that. I will share my basil back periodically to get fresh new growth on it, give it a little boost of energy with some nitrogen that has to grows twelve four eight has to grow on would be a good one to use for basil to give it a little boost. But anyway, you give it a boost and get some fresh new growth out and then you just can enjoy it. Again. Consider all the different kinds I mentioned oregano. There's several types of oregano, several types of oregano that you can plant. Oregano makes a great groundcover. I would highly recommend you get herbs out of the herb garden if you want to make a beautiful Louis the fourteenth type geometric, all trimmed up in everything herb garden, go for it, do that right, but put herbs in your vegetable garden. I have chives at the end of my rose. I have a regano growing at the end of the I put basil at the end of the tomato. In fact, if you're going to grow tomatoes, why not put basil on one end and a regano in the other. And you're just ready to go for all the stuff you do with tomatoes right there in your garden.
Speaker 3: Do that.
Speaker 1: Time is another great one. It's not as vigorous as a regano and spreading, but it stays nice and low for the most part, and it does really well. I think we My wife has like three a time growing in her planting garden and it looks really good. Makes a good good groundcover. You can do all of these and containers as well. So if you have a big old pot full of flowers and things, why not you let some oregano or time spill over the edge of it. There's always a place for herbs. They're fun to grow, and it's not a healthier way to season up your food than with the herbs you grew yourself fresh from your garden. I need to take a little break here and we will be back with your calls at seven one three two one two kt RH A little bit of a Sleep at the Wheel for those of you who love that band from Austin, Texas. I do sleep at the Wheel. Hey, you're listening to Guarden Line. Our phone number here if you'd like to give me call seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t R. H. Houston Powder Coders. That's the company that can transform your outdoor metal into something really special. Maybe you've got one of those old time chairs that there were tubular metal, you know that you kind of bounce on and they rock or bounce a little bit. They have the typically primary colors you like, red and green and blue and everything pink. Well, they can take those and they can transform them again. You know, any kind of outdoor metal furniture, whether it's cast iron, rod iron, or aluminum, patio furniture, cast iron, axcume, any of the metals that are outside, Houston powder Coators will bring them in. If they got some rust, you know, they deal with that. If they got old rusty bolts and things on them, they'll put fresh new stainless steel hardware in them. Any kinds of straps or sling fabric or anything that's part of the kind of furniture you have, they'll they'll fix that and then they powder cot it. Powder coating is better than painting. And over one hundred color options is that enough? I can't name five colors and they have over one hundred color options that you can choose from. So, whether it's furniture, or maybe an ornamental metal hanging that's on a fence that's resting and you know, or brick wall and the rust is running down the wall. Let them let them coat it if you like the rust. Look, they can coat it and it looks rusty, but it's not. It's powder coated. Do you see what I'm saying. They can do it all and all you got to do is take a picture of what you want to get a quote on and email that to sales at Houstoncoaters dot com sales at Houstoncoders dot com for a quick quote, and they'll send you a quote. If you go with it, they'll come pick it up and they'll do the job. They'll bring it back and drop it off all for you. If you're in the Houston area. Houston Powder Cooders dot com is the website. Go look at what they do. Look at their social media too. They put pictures of all their great jobs on there and it'll be inspiration. You go, oh, I've heard Skipp talk about that all the time, but I just said and pictured it like the well. Houston Powdercoders dot com two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight please write that down two, eight, one, six, seven, six thirty eight eighty eight. We're going to go back to the phones now and we're going to have the spring branch and talk to Herda. Well, hello, Herda, welcome about the morning.
Speaker 13: My questions about day lilies. Okay, I have a number of them that have shrouded up, and I find out why they call them day lilies. They roll up at night or in the evening. But anyway, what is it okay to put them in a container?
Speaker 1: You can grow day lilies in the container if you keep it adequately watered, and do it in a container with a volume of soil in it, not just like a little gallon bucket, you know. I mean you need you need to give them plenty of soil to work with, but you could do that. They're pretty tough plants, all right, all right?
Speaker 13: Do I feed them anything?
Speaker 1: Get you a fertilizer that has a good middle number content that's phosphorus, and apply it just periodically. You can do it in the spring. You can do it in the summer if you need to. But the bottom line is you just want to keep them healthy. You don't want to push them into lots of growth in our lawns. We're always pushing them with nitrogen to make them grow because we want them green and full and thick. With daylilies and other flowering plants for that matter, our goal is the flowers, and so we don't have to over push with nitrogen and things. But you can get a lot of good products. The folks at Nelson Plant Food have a number of different products that will do very well. There's one called color Star. Color Star you'll find it little in your area wherever Nelson products are sold, and follow the label on it. But color Star would be an excellent one for use on your.
Speaker 13: Dayly Lisa, I put one of them in a quart container and took it to my neighbor as a gift. Would that be too small for it.
Speaker 1: For long term? Yeah, for long term it would. I'm not sure what we're I'm not real sure we're talking about day lilies here. Are you real sure that that's the name of this plant?
Speaker 13: No, I'm not really right now. I don't have a way to get the information to you. I can ask a friend maybe to do it, but it may be another.
Speaker 1: That's fine. Let me ask you this what color of the blooms?
Speaker 13: They're a cream white.
Speaker 1: Okay, creamy white. And are they shaped like a trumpet? Or are they shaped like a.
Speaker 13: Trumpet? It's just one boom to a stam. This stem is the size of a straw. It looks like about okay, well over foot tall, and they have a ball at the bottom.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, maybe maybe we're dealing with the dailily. There are several plants that have that fit that description. But whatever it is, the the advice I gave you is is going to be sound for the whatever kind of plant that fits that description.
Speaker 13: All right, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, all right, you take care of yourself. Good to talk to you.
Speaker 13: All right, thank you, bye bye.
Speaker 6: M h.
Speaker 1: All right, there we go. You know, some people can't walk in shoe gum at the same time, I can't use the right mouse when I have two monce. I just and you to step away from the mouse and let somebody else drive. I guess. Anyway, we're back with your questions. Listen, phone number you need this one seven one three two one two k t r H. You don't talk about today. I'm kind of going on about herbs. And we'll continue to here for a while because I'm trying to convince you that you need to grow more herbs. I really think you do. There are very few plants that are so versatile as herbs. There are herbs that bloom. I planted some pineapple sage the other day. Pineapple sage is a Salvia, Okay, so there's a lot of great Salvius. Salvia is my favorite genus of plants that is out there. If I had to pick one genus, it would be Salvius. And I like a lot of plants, but I would pick Salvius. Anyway. I planted some pineapple stage in late summer, and in fall it puts out even the most for the whole year. Red tubular, long, skinny blooms that hummingbirds love. Of course, it has a pineapple fragrance to the foliage, but in fall it is quite the bloomer. Another fall blooming herb is Mexican mint marigol. Some people call it Mexican marigol mint. That is not the name. It's not a mint. It is a marigold Mexican mint marigold. Okay. It has a licorice smell smelling foliage. So think of black jelly beans. That's what the foliage smells like on it. In fall, it loads up a clusters of little yellow daisy like flowers that are absolutely beautiful. So that would be another good one to plant now so that you could enjoy it in the fall. There are herbs for flowers, There are herbs for flavors, There are herbs for beautiful foliage. Try some herbs this year. I'm going to take a break. We'll be right back with your calls. Welcome back to Guardline. Good to have you with us today. Hey, uh, bugs bugs in the lawn? What do you do? What do you do for chinchbugs? It's not quite chinchbug season yet, it's coming. If you get my schedule, the long pest disease and we'd management schedule. You see when we start to look for chinchbugs, you see when we treat for grubs. You see when we deal with you know, various things through the year. That's what the schedules put there. What about fire ants, that's another one they're always around. It seems like, well, bug Out Max Granules covers it all. Bug Out Max is a lawn and garden insect control and you put it out on your lawn and it deals with all the different things we're dealing with, from grubs to fire ants to caterpillars that are chomping on things. Even if you have fleas out there and the maybe you got a dog and there's fleas living in the thatch. That's part of the cycle of fleas and then they bring them inside. Bug out Max granules by Nitrofoss that will shut them down. Now, so where do you get that kind of thing? Well, for example, you could get it at RCW Nursery on Tomball Parkway. If you go to Langham Creek Ace Hardware that's on five pot twenty nine backside of Copperfield. There Plantation Ace Hardware on three point fifty nine that's north and Liddle to the east of the Richmond Rosenberg area, and then out in Ankleton, Lake hard where in Angleton on Velasco and Lake Harbor and Clute on Dixie Drive all places that carry night Foss products. Let's go to the phones now. We're going to head out to Magnolia and talk to Jane. Hello, Jane, Welcome to garden Line. Hello, Hello, Hi, how can I help?
Speaker 14: I have a really tall crate myrtle like it's over my rooftop and like every time this tiny year, I feel like it's raining underneath it.
Speaker 4: But it's really not raining.
Speaker 14: It's kind of like a gummy white substance.
Speaker 10: And I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: Gummy white. Well, I'm not sure if it's.
Speaker 14: White or clear, but it feels like it's raining underneath underneath that tree. Nowhere else in the in the whole ark, but underneath that tree.
Speaker 1: Well, well, uh have you ever you know, you know how people are like sitting outside and they got drinks and they got the little umbrellas in their drink. You've seen that, right, Yeah, you need to get umbrellas because of what I'm about to tell you. Oh, bugs are peeing on you. That's what's happening, and so you need a little umbrella for your drinks, so your iced tea or whatever. Out there. Bugs there are insects that suck the sap out of plants and they get the they get the minerals and nutrient kinds of things out of it. But they drink so much that it's going in one end and out the other end of the bug. And they're just constantly squirting that little little bits out and so it doesn't really hurt the tree much. The trees able to more than make up for it, but it does. Sometimes some of those substances are very sugary, and we get honeydew, and therefore we get a city mold, the black city mold growing. That's some types of insects are causing that. There's other types that they just pe out a little watery substance, and that's what it is. Now. You can look at it two ways. You know. You can look at it for what it is and get grossed out, or you can look at it as a nice missed system that helps cool you last summer when you're sitting underneath getting a little spray of the let's just say.
Speaker 10: A little bit.
Speaker 14: There's a little bit of black black on the bark at the very bottom of the tree, like a dark Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, crape myrtles also have crepe myrtle bark scale and aphids, and both of those put out the sugary water that causes the city growth. What you're describing to me as a different insect is more of a plant hopper, and so yeah, that's that's it. Well, I don't know, I mean, you could nuke your tree and kill everything. Now it's not. And I just don't like, you know, sending people out to nuke the tree with insecticides because something with six legs is crawling around on it, So I would I would ignore it. Just yeah, just you can get you can get the little umbrellas, I'm sure on Amazon for a good price. And so there you go. Maybe get your an umbrella while you're at it. Sounds good, all right, all right, thank you, take care you best. Thank you. It's go to League City and talk to Carol. Hey, Carol, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 13: Hello.
Speaker 9: I spoke to you last year about my white beach spider lily that have fungus on them, and you told me to get two products, the try try dimophon and my clothes get to nil. And I found the second one, but the first one the only place I can find that is online for two hundred and fifty dollars a gallon. Do you have any alternate in or anything.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah, you're talking about try a dimophon, Yes, sir? Was that the first one? Okay? Yes, sir, you know I I'm actually not remembering exactly what it was. I think you was the problem some little spots on the leaves and then if you turn a leaf over, there's kind of a dusty, rusty colored thing underneath there. Yes, okay, well there are there's triadim ifon in more economical packages than that. That's just a fun just side. I wish if I saw a picture. My hesitation is this, I could suggest some things. But really, if I could see a picture of the spots again and make sure I know which disease it is, I could better target recommendation to you. Okay, so.
Speaker 10: Excuse me.
Speaker 9: The second one you guys made is uh, it controls it somewhat, but it just comes back with a vengeance before I can put it on there. Even every ten days.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, we'll see Michael. Butte nil. It's systemic and so it should last for a lot longer than that. I'm not sure.
Speaker 6: We can do this.
Speaker 1: A couple of ways you could. You could get a product called daco nil d A C O N I L. That is a brand of the ingredient that's in it. Uh, the ingredient. I keep giving you these long chemical names, but that's really the best way to recommend something. But Chloro thallo nil is dacoil and it is very good against rust type diseases. If indeed this is a rust. So I I just I just want to know that we got we got the right disease. And so if you want to do this, if you'd like to go and take a picture of what you're seeing, show me the whole plant, and then show me up close and good sharp focus, check focus before you send them the top of the leaf, and then show me the bottom of the leaf on these spots. Then I can nail it down and get it right and not waste your time and money on something that may not work that well. Because Michael buttinhil if it quickly is not working, then we don't need to be using it because it if it works, it works, and you shouldn't you shouldn't have that experience with it. But that's how it is. You just like you go to the doctor and they don't have like one medicine for everything that could make you sick, right, and so that's how it is with these fungicides as well.
Speaker 9: Okay, okay, well I'll do that. Then I'll send your picture and see if we can get the right products for it.
Speaker 1: All right, happy to do that. Thanks for your call, Carol, look forward to that. I'm going to put you on hold. I'm gonna put your hold and I'll handro pickout and he'll give you the email that you're gonna need. All Right, folks, the music means time to go to a top of the hour break. Well, this morning is flying by already eight o'clock almost. Well, I'm glad you're listening. I hope you're having a good day, and I hope you have plans for a really nice afternoon getting out there in the gardens. Remember that herbs are for everybody, and herbs are for everywhere. Containers, flower beds, I can even I've seen people use solid burnett, which makes a little mound of leaves that tastes like cucumbers. Solid burnett as a little lining around the bed like you would use litt riopy or something. I've seen people do that with chives too. That's another idea. Just a pute for you. Well, welcome back, Welcome back to the garden Line. We look forward to helping you with the kinds of questions that you might have today. I want you to have success. Listen, Gardening is fun. The best hobby there is period.
Speaker 6: It just is.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm okay, I'm biased, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong, you know what I'm saying. It is a great, great hobby. I've enjoyed it my whole life, considered a blessing to be able to be for my whole life really working in a field that I absolutely enjoy. So two happy places probably near the top of my list. One is visiting with gardeners. We're doing that right now, did it for thirty five years in the agrofe Extension Agent Texas A and M. And the other is sitting out in my garden and just messing with plants and watching bugs. You know, I enjoy learning and watching. It is a fascinating world to go out there and just be still a while and see what's going on.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I talked about African blue basil being such a great pollinator attractor because it gets a a pretty good sized basil bush and it it just blooms and blims and blooms and blooms and blooms, and you sit there and you look at them, and you see the different things coming in. You learn a lot about them, and uh, it just it's a wonderful field.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I know some of you arek go sit and stare at your basil. But whatever kind of gardening you like, I don't care if it's houseplants, if you like just playing with plant propagation and starting seeds and growing transplants. If you maybe the lawn is that, maybe you are the lawn ranger of the neighborhood and that is what makes you happy, A perfect pristine lawn that just looks good. Well, go aheadside and be happy, enjoy that. Gardening has something for everybody, no matter what you're growing. And I've gotten a lot of emails Toda. I'm waiting on some follow up calls from these folks that have done emails. But lots of pests, lots of disease problems and things. If Southwest Fertilizer, you just need to put that on your rolodex. Remember we used rolodexes. Southwest Fertilizer corner of bus Nutt and Runwick website, Southwest Fertilizer dot com phone number seven to one three six sixty six seventeen forty four seven to one three six sixty six one seven four four. They've got everything that you need.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, a while ago someone was calling me and they had well it was Carol talking about the the lily and want to make sure we got that disease right. Well, I don't care which of the many types of leaf spot diseases and things that attack a lily. She has the answer and the solution to its at Southwest Fertilizer because they carry the whole thing. That is, when it comes to diseases. It's like the pharmacy for plants. Everything that you would need to manage or deal with the disease is there. If it's insects, same thing. If it is spider mite's same thing, If it's weeds, same thing, they have it off. They don't have it, You don't need it. It's as simple as that. Southwest Fertilizer corner bus Nutt and Runwick stop ey there, say to Bob and the team, if you've got a question about something, you can take a picture in. You can take a sample in samples even better, put them in a little ziplock bag so something doesn't crawl away, and take it to them. They'll do an assessment of it and you know, points you to the right thing. So anyway, that Waspertilizers the place you need to know, and the phone numer you need to know right now, is seven to one to three two one two KTRH. So you can give us a call and we can talk about the things that are of most interest to you. Yesterday I was talking about Moss Nursery and I made a statement. I saw some information from us about a place called the Clay Pigeon. It's a grand opening and some of the bands that are going to be there and the fact they're having a crawfish boil and everything there, and we got some calls on it. And as I looked into it, what I found out was, well, actually Jim's got a new place in Austin, Texas, South Austin on Slaughter Creek Drive. Now, I know we have people that listen from Austin and from that area. But if you are inclined to go over there, if you live over there, the klappage in Grand Opening Extravaganza Saturday, June fourteenth, from twelve to six pm. There will be a crawfish boil. There's gonna be music. Of course, it's Austin. You've gotta have music, all kinds of interesting stuff, pop up market and a lot of other fun things. Anyway, that is, if you want more information, just follow the Moss Nursery on social media. They've got stuff posted. They even have a little qurer code you can click on with your camera to find out more. If you don't have plans for this afternoon, how about a plan? The plan is to go to Moss Nursery and go check out.
Speaker 15: What they have.
Speaker 1: Moss has got every category of plant in spades. As they say, it is an outstanding place. If you are looking, I'll say house plants. You know, house plan is a term we made up. No plant is native to houses, but plants that can take a very low light or prefer a low light environment. We typically them houseplants, but then a lot of those, like cactine succulents, they need more light. And you can find the same things at Moss's Houseplant get any kind of category you want. They have gorgeous staghorn ferns hanging from trees out there. You just have to go see them. They're unbelievably beautiful staghorn ferns, whatever kind of plant you're looking for. Hanging baskets, hundreds and hundreds of hanging baskets for summer color. Things that will look good today. You got folks coming over this afternoon or this evening. Go get you some color from Moss Nursery, hanging baskets, container color, whatever, and you can have beauty instantly. Moss Nursery, Toddville Road, Seabrook, Texas two eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight two eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight. We're going to go down to Tomball and talk to Jody. Hey, Jody, welcome to garden Line. Good morning, Thank you for having me morning, Happy to do it. How can I help?
Speaker 16: Yes, sir, I've recently purchased some guardinas and they're still in the containers that I purchased them in. I've only had them for a week. They're on the northeast side of my home, which is where I wanted to plant them. But I'm doing something wrong. I'm either overwatering or not watering enough because they're literally turning black.
Speaker 1: Okay, is a tissue itself? It's a tissue itself collapsing or is it like a coating that if you wet your thumb and rubbed it, you could rub the black off the leaf?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 16: Well, I can't get anything to rub off on my hand. It just literally looks like it's dying like it's burnt. I'm thinking maybe they're just they can't tolerate the heat.
Speaker 1: Oh, they can take the heat. That typically if you give them a little late day shade is good. But they need plenty of sun to be able to bloom their best. So I think the problem is in the roots. Lay one of those containers over, kind of bump on it a little bit, and then slide it sideways out of the container. And if the roots on the outside aren't nice and creamy white colored, then you had a root loss. And that could have been due to soggi, it could have been due to dry Either one kills roots and they need to probably be moved into a very bright shade so the demands are lower on the plant and given some time to recover and be real careful with the watering during that time. Hopefully it's not so far gone that you have difficulty saving them. But that that is what I would do on those. And make sure and get you when you get guardian, You'll always get you a good acid loving fertilizer. And you know up there and which which direction from Tomball or you.
Speaker 3: Northwest?
Speaker 1: Oh? Okay, well there you go. I mean Arbigate's kind all kinds of good stuff in there that they know what to give you for guardena so they can get you all set up. But first let's just get those things on their feet. Check the roots. If you've lost a lot of roots, it's gonna be touch and go. But just wait before you plan them. Let's try to get them some new growth on them and get some healthy roots on the outside and then put them in the ground. Okay, okay, good, perfect, Thank you all right, Jody, you bet, thank you for call. Appreciate that very much. You two. I've got to run to a break here. Kevin or Kelvill and Tomball and Bill and Galveson you'll be our first two up. Welcome back to the garden Line, folks, Little Dolly Parton to get us go on this hour. We're going to head now down to Tomball. Let me get my right mouse. We have problems with today and we're gonna talk to Kevin. Hey, Kevin, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 3: Good morning ship, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 5: Molds.
Speaker 6: How can I get rid of moles?
Speaker 3: Yeah, warns don't seem to work.
Speaker 1: Uh and and I just want to make sure we're talking about moles and not gophers, right or do we need to picking that one out? And okay, all right, so moles. First of all, I'm gonna I'm gonna point you at a publication that will be very helpful for you. If you go to the agrolife Learn website agro Life Learn, there is a publication on managing mold damage and you just do a search for it. But managing mold damage it goes into the oh gosh, I can, It goes into the specific options that you have, some options involved bringing a pest control operator around to do it and whatnot. But it's just agro Life Learn a mu dot Eed, you do a search for mole, so mole publication when you go there, when you look at it, what it's going to tell you is your your basic options are trapping from a homeowner standpoint, okay, And there's a couple kinds of traps. One kind is a loop. The trap sits on the ground. The loop is underground, the mole goes through. It's kind of gross, but the mole goes through and that loop snaps up on the mole. The other is a spike that goes down from the top. It's called a harpoon type trap. It tells you how to find out which it runs, are active, where to set the trap, how to set the trap and stuff. Uh, and that is the that is kind of what's in your control. The idea of poisons don't really work the toxicans because moles don't really eat grain baits and things. But and the and then other things that only a PCO can do are out there, but that that's probably the best way for you to deal with them.
Speaker 3: The traps are better than the poison.
Speaker 1: From what I hear. Now, I'm not a wildlife damage management expert at all, but from what I've heard, the toxican the baits that are available for moles not usually that effective. They just don't eat grain baits and stuff. Maybe something new is on the market, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: They haven't work so far. Okay, I'll get that.
Speaker 15: To try and thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you very much, appreciate your call. Let's see here, oh, Airloom soils. Heirloom soils is kind of a one stop shop for anything you need to get the ground ready for planting or to improve the ground around existing plants. Bed mixes like things for roses and other bloomers, things for fruit trees, things for vegetables and herbs. Whatever it is, airlom soils has got a blend for you. Just go to the website airloomsoils dot com and learn about it all the products they have, and then head out to your local garden center, feed stores. All kinds of places carry airloom soils products. You can buy them by the bag. If you're going to do a big job and maybe revamping a big bed or building a big bed, you can have them deliver by the cubicyard to your place, either dumping it on the driveway or bringing it by what they call supersacks cubicyard holding sacks, or you can go out there and get it. Go to Porter. It's out on Highway fifty nine Inporter, Texas, the Warrange Rock and Malt location where airloom soils comes from. They have that stuff out there as well. But start by going to airloomsoils dot com airloomsols dot com find out the products that they have, all kinds of things. They also have shale too. You hear me talk about expanded sheales sometime and how it holds up longer than organic matter. Does even in keeping a clay soil open. You can get it from there. Airlom Soils makes a combo of malt or compost and shale too. You can buy them both together in a bag. Airloom Sols quality products. I say that because I've used them and I've seen the results. Let's now, let's see we're going to head to Bill in Galveston. Hey, Bill, welcome to garden Line. Thanks get good morning. I sent you two photos good morning of some powdered plants. One has its leaves as well, the other one's doesn't have it. So what's the difference and they got the same treatment, same place. Yeah, those are angel wing bagone. Well not angel wings or regular pogonias.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 1: And you know, different things can cause the foliage to fall off. It could have gone through a dry period. That's very likely, Uh, saggy wet soil. If the those hanging plastic hanging baskets the drainage holes are plugged or whatever and they're not draining, well, it could be that. But that's the difference. And I know what you're probably gonna tell me is, Yeah, but they're hanging side by side of water and the same and I don't have an answer for that. But it's not an insect, it's not a disease. It is some sort of a stress in the root system that's causing that defiliation. So I should make sure that that the drain holes are up from that flog. Yeah, make sure you know, water it a lot and see if a bunch of water runs out the bottom. If it doesn't, then stick a pencil up through the holes or something kind of open them up. So I don't know what could be done there clogging them, but just check for that. Bottom line is it's in the roots that we're seeing the problem.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: If it a root rock got into them, then it may eventually kill the whole plant. You know, it may may not be that. You just wait and it gets better, but you just have to wait and see on that one.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks so much.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks for the call. Appreciate you call very much. You take care. Well, what are we looking at here? Yeah, we got some time. Let's now head to talk to John and Tom Ball. Hey, John, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, I bought some a couple of months ago, some Ingleston Hollies and some magnolia.
Speaker 1: Okay, So.
Speaker 6: How often show fertilized in the beginning and for how long consistently?
Speaker 1: Okay? Yeah, So when when you put a new plant in the ground, new tree or shrub in the ground, it does not need fertilizer for a while. You get it, let it get established. When you start seeing new growth occurring, like the plant is getting established and doing doing well, you can begin to fertilize it gradually. Uh, you said Eagleston Holly. And remind me of the second plant that you.
Speaker 6: Said, Magnolia, Magnolia little Jim.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I would get I would get a plant food for acid loving plants.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And so depending on you know what, what kind of product you prefer to use.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: The folks at Microlife have a microlife product for acaid loving plants. It's kind of in a deep pink kind of bag, pinkish red bag, and it works really well. It being an organic not salt based, it's you're not going to burn plants with it. You can mix it into the soil a little bit, scratch it into the surface so it can decompose a way. But it's gonna take a while before those plants have the root system that's out now in your soil and your planting beds to be able to need and take up the nutrients that they need. What was in the container when you bought them is enough to hold them for a good while, at least six weeks.
Speaker 6: Okay, So I have fertilized it through arburgate. They're they're fertilizer. So I think they told me once a month, and I wouldn't show them that. Is that just too much monthly?
Speaker 1: That's fine? Yeah, you could do that and arbigate. They're fertilizers organic. It's an organic type fertilizer. So again you're not salvation. I come them. Just gradually feed them as you go by a little bit at a time. You're getting the soil built, you're getting the soul better, and just what they're telling you there, just follow out. That would be just fine for their organic Yeah, all right, sir, you take care. Thanks for the call. Appreciate that very much. Whenever we are fertilizing plants, I just want to remind everybody of something sometimes I talk about fertilizer like you're giving a plant a boost. Like I was talking about, you know, the Medina Hosen spray application of a higher nitrogen product where you're just getting that nitrogen out in there to give it a boost, and that nitrogen is very volatile. That comes, it goes. The nitrogen that's there today is not going to be the nitrogen that's there a month from now. I mean, it gets taken up by microbes, it goes off, it's a gas, it washes away. There's a cycle in the soil of nitrogen, but all the other nutrients, especially. We're building a bank account in this and so when you're using a product and you're doing it over and over again over time. You know he was talking about the arrogate organic product. You are putting lots of nutrients in the soil, lots of different nutrients, not just three, and as a result, you're building that bank account. So as these trees began to grow, he had magnolia and eaglestunt whatever you're planting. The roots go out there and they go, hey, I need a little bit of this or that or the other. It could be phosphorus, or it could be potassium. It could be magnesium or sulfur or zinc or manganese or whatever. The bank account has it and it's ready to go and That is how we think of fertilizing, not just a boost that's more than nitrogen, but building the bank account so the plant can have success. I'm going to take a quick break and Mike and surf side, you're my first step when we come back. All right, In our continued effort to find songs you've never heard before, one which reminds me if you're dealing with mosquitos, pest Bros. Pest Bros. Is the company you need to know about. Here's a phone number you'll want to write this one down. Call them for a quote. Two eight one two oh six forty six seventy two eight one two six forty six seventy. I will be posting something this week on my mosquito buckets that I got from pest Bros. Or that pest Bros. What they do is they go out to your place, they set up the buckets, and they come monthly back to service them. That's how that works because they need to be maintained. These buckets have in them something to attract mosquitos, so they come in there, they lay their eggs. Those eggs will hatch into larvae that will never become an adult mosquito and then mama mosquito flies off with two substances on her feet. One is a disease a fungus of mosquitos, and that mosquito won't last a long time. But anywhere it stops with a little bit of water, maybe your neighbor's got some old tires in back that are holding water, or a bur bath that they haven't tried to clean out for months. When it lands to lay eggs there, that water will get a little bit of a dose of that stuff that won't let the mosquitoes go past the nymph stage. And so basically your buckets become bait stations to make sure that other stagnant water spots around your landscape and your neighbors hopefully will be shut down. It works, it's ingenious, it's excellent. Love that stuff. Now you can go to the website thepestbros dot com. When you get there, you're gonna find out other things, like they deal with fireance, they deal with wall of varmits running around the property, like mice and rats and other things. They deal with termites, one of the worst pests we have in our home because they do so much dollar damage to our homes. They have a product that goes in a little trench around the outside perimeter of your home and it lasts for ten years and controls termites, and so you minimize issues of well, what if my pets exposed to this or that or the other. Best pros focuses on doing effective treatment what works in the safest possible manner, so you get those long term results without worrying. Dpestbros. Dot Com two eight one, two oh six forty six seventy. We're going to head now to surf Side and talk to Mike this morning. Hello, Mike, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 17: Hey, thanks Kip. Hey, quick question for I was just thinking about this today. When is the optimum time to pick your vegetables. Would it be the morning or the evening or the middle of the day or does it even matter?
Speaker 1: It can matter. Some things don't matter, like potatoes underground, it's not they don't technically ripen. They get bigger o carrots, for example. I try to do my harvesting in the morning, and so do commercial farmers. Once the day heats up, there's something called field heat that's in the vegetables. You know, those tomatoes are hotter hanging on the vine if you will when it's twenty five degrees outside, and so if you when you pick things in the morning, especially things that are prone to declining and quality, like sweet corn being the ultimate. You pick it while it's cool, you bring it in. You either use it or store it or refrigerator, you know, whatever you're going to do, and it lasts a lot longer than if you waited until mid afternoon to pick sweet corn and you bring it in. The declines is going much faster at that time, So avoid the field heat. Pick in the morning in general that it doesn't matter for everything.
Speaker 17: That's exactly what's kind. For tomatoes would probably best in the morning, I'm guessing probably.
Speaker 1: Also be a little better. But tomatoes, yeah, tomatoes and cucumbers, a squash and things. But it's not it's not a big deal, you know, on them. I mean they you see tomatoes sitting outside on a road sides down for days, you know, underneath the cover of shade. Uh, and they're getting hot. But it's not as big a deal for them. But you know, all things being equal, just.
Speaker 17: Pick in the morning, okay, cool, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Here here's when here's when you pick a tomato an hour before the bird shows up to pecket. I understand, all right, Mike, thanks a lot for your question.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: You take care, Bye bye. That is true. We're gonna go to Follsher now and talk to Bob. Hey, Bob, Welcome to the garden Line.
Speaker 3: Hiki.
Speaker 10: Thanks thanksgaking my call. I've got these tests that have been attacking some pottered plants that have in my patio, and I sent you some photos. They're they're not all the same. The one that's thinks the most prevalent is this. It's this white material. I'm assuming it's kind of an insect, but I can't really finding me on those. It's but there's all this kind of black gunk that it's leaving, and it's it's gone over four different plants of line. And then I got a couple others, one which has some little white bugs on them, and another one they're kind of I wondering if there's the mighty spider mites that they're kind of like a very very very very tiny kind of brownish color. Yeah, yeah, And I'm just wondering the uh.
Speaker 1: Is one of those that it looks like a camellia. Is that what it is, that's right shrub. Okay, Yeah, that is called T scale, that little white scale. It sucks the juices out of the plant and then it basically peas out sugar water. And that's why you get a city mold that'll be growing there. It's already starting but growing pretty soon. The best thing on that would be a systemic insecticide that gets into the plumbing of the plant, so when those scale insects suck the juice out, they get the point in that way, something on the outside of the leaf will be poisoned because it's not sucking juices out of the plant, and a product ingredient mid oh cloprid im I do clo p r I d e mid oh cloprid on the camellia specifically, will help shut that down. The T scale. All right, there's some other systemics, you know, depending on where you shop. You're out there in full sure, you've got a really good ACE hardware store not too far for evening plantation ACE on three fifty nine. They're going to have a number of products like that out there, and I would try that. Then there's another plant that has white stuff, but it's along the veins of the of the leaf that is also a scale. There may be some meai bugs on that one too, but they're on the veins because that's where they can get the main pipeline of the plumbing and get more juices out of it. And it's the same solution for that plant, Okay. And then the final one, I am amid cloak prid I AM I D O c l O p r I D. And there's a lot of brands of a middle clo prid in fact, oh gosh, yeah, there's just there's just a bunch of brands of it. You don't you don't have to really, Uh yeah, it's the the I just tell telling them about a product a little bit earlier, uh, that had some in it. But the other thing, uh, the the plant with the kind of silvery centers of the leafs with green edges that could be spider mites. I'm too far away in the photo to see for sure, but it looks a little like spider mites to me. Blasts of water from up underneath that plant, up under the leaves to dislodge them insecticidal soap spray early in the morning before the sun comes out and starts baking down, but both waters and insecticidal soap. You have to get the plant the bug wet. You have to blast it with the spray of water or soap. If a one leaf is over another leaf and so those bugs are protected by the leaf below it, You're not going to get control with those products.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 1: So thorough, be thorough.
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 10: And the one with a little white bug are those the photo with a little white bugs? Are those spider mates? Two? Are those like acids?
Speaker 1: Is this the one? You only have three photos?
Speaker 18: Right?
Speaker 10: Four?
Speaker 6: One two three?
Speaker 1: Four? Okay? So we did the scale, We did this silver leaf plant, and then the other comments I'm made Where there are along the veins of the leaf that is scale, also are mealely bugs. It could be mealy bugs also on that leaf. I'm what I'm seeing is a combination. But that's another amiddo clopri job right there.
Speaker 10: Okay, okay, okay, okay, got it all right.
Speaker 1: Good luck, Thank you you bet appreciate your call. Glad we could be of assistance to you. Microlife fertilizers, so many good brand are brands, so many good types on the market. This stuff works. I would recommend right today you grab some Microlife Biomatrix orange label seven to one three fertilizer and Microlife Ocean Harvest blue label four two three fertilizer product based on a fish. As a matter of fact, the first one orange label for inside or outside blue label for outside. The label will tell you how to apply it, how to mix it and everything. They'll both give your plants a good boost and it's a good way to get things going so you have success with those plants. I'm gonna be back in just a moment.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Guardlande and good to have you with us this morning on a nice Sunday morning. You got a question, you'd like to give me a call? Seven one three two one two k t r H. That's the number you can dial. Got room for a call or two here before we get to the end of this hour, Maybe one call, I believe looking at the clock. Nitrophis super turf is a product you hear me talk about all the time, and it's because it works. It was designed many years ago based on research from Langra University scientists turf researchers throughout the Gulf Coast region. If you get down to places like tex A and m LSU, Oklahoma State, Mississippi State, all the way across the University of Florida and everything. You're going to find a consistent message from the turf folks, and that is your fertilizers need to be in a three one two or four one two ratio is a general general guide. That's that's a good ballpark to aim for. And they need to release the nutrients slowly over time. That is the best way. Now, you can take an immediate release fertilizer and if you overdo it, you get a lot of top growth. But what happens is you get to mowmore because it grows like crazy on the top, nice deep green, but the root system actually is less than if you fertilize properly. That's a weird thing, but it's true. And so with nine to five superturf, you put it down and for four months it is feeding your lawn for you over time. It's designed for that design for our hot, humid summers and our Southern turf grasses like Saint Augustine Bermuda enjoys you. Now, when you put it down and return your clippings, they are going to release nutrients slowly over time is they decompose also, which means the next fertilization you've got is going to be the one if you put it down now, the next fertilization you have is going to be the one in the fall. This false fertilization nine five superturf is available a lot of different places. You're going to find it at places like maybe down in the Sage Mind Area M and D. Beamer. There's an M and D Clare Lake as well on Bay Area Boulevard. If you go to Alvin Stanton Shopping Center on North Taylor carries night Foss products, and then in Baytown Fisher's Hardware on Alexander and Brenham Plants and things on Highway three sixty five Night to five superturb the silver bag makes it easy to find. And remember, let's go out now to League City, Texas, and we're going to talk to Carol. Hello, Carol, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 9: Hello. Did you get my picture skip of atha lilies?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I did, yeah, that those are excellent photos. By the way, they are very ugly that I was looking at them, though I didn't see the under Oh yeah, you did send me an underside of the leaf. Okay, it could be rust, or it could be what it is is it's a fungal leaf spot that that I'm sure of, and so any kind of a systemic fungicide should do a good job of shutting that down. It could be rust at the stage it's in right now, I can't definitively say, but watch the bottom sides of those leaves. If it's rust, out of the bottom, it's like the little leaf explodes out these little, tiny, tiny microscopic orange spores, and you'll see them coming out of the bottom. You rub your thumb across it, and there'll be orange on your thumb, like you rubbed it over something rusty. But that's the why they call it the rust fungus. But a systemic would be a good way to go. I would probably try did you tell me you had tried the one called propacnasole, no shock? Okay? Okay, I would try one called propa conasole, okay. And it's p r oh pr oh p I co o n A z o l e pro con a zouls o l E. Propa Conasol is a good funda side for a number of different things. It's available over the counter and you can just basically get it pretty much anywhere. Garden centers and feed stores, H eight hardware stores, places like that. Okay, City you've got some. Yeah, you've got You've got a League City feed store that I'll bet you has Propa Connasol. It's right there just south of Highway three.
Speaker 9: Starting appreciated because last year I ended up just cutting them off to the ground in about August and they came back real nice without the rust on them again. But then my pros and now we're starting all over again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that's it. And you know the bottom line on it is you just have to stay with it. Diseases are better prevented than cured. That's just that's just the bottom line on it. And what I've seen, you know, and looking at things, if you wait, like the leaves you sent me that have all those spots, they're gone. I mean, if you don't leave them for a while. But I would take everything out, it's gonna be a pretty good printing and I'd get it all out of there. Because that's like when they say typhoid Mary, you know one sick person that gets all the others sick. Uh, And I think that, Yeah, yeah, I think that that would be probably your best bet, but I would try the proper condis. I think you're gonna probably have the best bet with that for an over the counter should that for whatever reason that work, there is something like the resistance in diseases. We can switch you to another one, but let's start with that one.
Speaker 15: Okay.
Speaker 9: I hope I can find it at my League City Feed. I appreciate to hear.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Oh, League City Feet'll have it. If not, you've got a nice hardware store there down there, they'll have it. To Propagonazo. Just go go ahead, talk to Jeff, one of the folks there at League City Feed. Well, all right, thank you. All right, folks, we've got to go to a break here, Glenn and Richards, We're gonna come to you first when we get back from this little break. Hey, I want a low public service announcement. On Saturday, August second, Saturday, second all day, eight am to four pm. OBA, the Organic Horticulture Benefits Alliance is hosting their Oba Palooza, the fourth annual. I'll be there speaking. Joe Gardner, awesome speaker, will be there and many other great speakers. Go to OBA online dot org. Slash register. All right, folks, we're back. We got one hour left today, one hour left this weekend on garden Line. Oh the way, We're glad you're listening in with us today. I hope you're enjoying the show. I'm gonna head straight out to the phones this hour. We're gonna go to Richard's and talk to Glenn. Hey Glenn, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 18: Good morning.
Speaker 1: Morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 18: I had a question on uh, different type of grasses uh that you see you might see in h field black fields and the ditches and whatever, you know, driving in rural areas.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out I need to I need to get some seed down some bear property. You know, it's a pretty pretty large area, and I'm just trying to figure out what type of seed I would need, you know, something that's kind of low maintenance. Beat got hogg it, you know, a couple of two or.
Speaker 15: Three times a year. Uh yeah, kind of low maintenance and just to kind of fill in.
Speaker 18: Or fill up, you know, fill the.
Speaker 1: The payor dirt that I have right now. Yeah, got you. Uh so that's a it's kind of an agriculture pasture, uh type question. Uh, I would recommend that you give a call to your agg agent with Aggerlife Extension for Grimes County, and that is mister Matt Pfeiffer. Matt Pfeiffer is over in the office. Uh yeah, to Grimes County.
Speaker 6: Off.
Speaker 1: Let me just give you a phone number. Ready, you got you got a pin or paper paper handy hold on?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yes you bet nine eight seven three thirty nine O seven eight seven three thirty nine O seven. He's going to have access to a lot of the agrolife information on pastures, the best best pasture grasses and management of them and things like that.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: And he he could point you in the right direction most likely. It's give me something that could be seated. There's a few, like certain types of bermuda that are used from spriggs. But I think you're going to want more of a native pasture type grass most likely. And that's going to be the guy that can He can better point you to that than I can. I. I I focus on grass that you grow to look at in the lawn, you know, and and I get you a better answer for what you're looking. Yeah, yeah, tried, all right?
Speaker 15: That some common bermuda and I mean it took, but uh, yeah it is and it's very expensive, the common bermuda.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well yeah, well you know, maybe Matt and the last name I wist spell it p p f e I f E r p f E I f are all right, okay, by just give him out a call telling skip sent you and uh and he'll he'll be able to walk through through it with you, get you in the right direction. Thank you, okay, sir, I appreciate that. Thank you, Bet, thanks for the call. Appreciate your call very much. Uh you too. For everybody listening. Every county in Texas is served by an AGROLFE Extension office, and in that office you have, uh all the counties are going to have somebody that works in agriculture in general, and that would be everything from raising livestock to growing pasture grasses and things, uh to farm ponds and whatnot. They're going to have a four h and youth agent, which pretty much I've just heard about. Four h It's an awesome youth development program teaches leadership and all kinds of wonderful skills for youth that's not just about stock shows. Four each is good. And then a family and community health agent, and back a long time ago, the Family and Community health position focused on things like sewing, making clothing and canning vegetables and food and other things. Now there's still those kinds of educational materials, but they do things they go away beyond that, like health prevention diabetes and heart disease, things like exercising programs like Walk across Texas wonderful progress. Listen, the extension service is something everybody outn't know who your agent is agunts are and reach out to them to take advantage of that. In all the areas, all two hundred and fifty four counties of Texas in this part of the state, every county has an office. You get out far enough in West Texas where there are jackpipe rabbits than people, and you may have an office that serves more than one county. But over here everybody, every county has got an extension office with several agents. Now, just while I'm rolling on that, if you are in Harris County, or in Galveston County, or in Fort Bend County, or in Brazoria County, or in Brass County or in Montgomery County, I'm probably forgetting somebody you have a horticulture agent as well in those counties that run the master Gardening program and do all the horticulture education. All right, so public service announcement. I'm getting a bunch of those out today. Let's head now to Missouri City and we're going to talk to Ray. Hello, Ray, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 4: Hey, good morning, Skipton, thanks for taking my call. I don't know if this is your area of expertise, but I'll give it a shot.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 4: In my backyard, I have Saint Augustine grass and there are a few places that's sinking and it's not level, so I want to put some top soil to level it off. My question is will the grass grow back or do you think I'm going to have to reside those areas where put the top soil.
Speaker 1: How deep do you think you're gonna need to put the soil?
Speaker 4: Maybe no more than three inches, maybe not even that high.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, So, and you did say Saint Augustine? Correct?
Speaker 11: Correct?
Speaker 1: Okay, So Saint Augustine, if you completely covered up, it kills it. It can't, you know, if it's got a few if it's got grass blades sticking up, they get sunlight, the end of those runners will push on up and come back to the surface and you'll fill back in. So if I were you, I would do it in small amounts, maybe do an inch at a time, and I would use topsoil, a good loamy topsoil blend on the surface there. Some people use a kind of a sand and loan blend, and some people put a little compost in it, but not too much compost because that shrinks back down over time, and you're trying to raise the soil level, not raise it up and have it go right back down again. So a topsoil about an inch at a time time, let it grow back in and get thick and pretty, and then do another inch in those areas, and that'll kind of give you a way to you know, as you're looking at it, going now, I need a little more over there, a little more over here. Now. If you want to get it all done at once, you can do it all at once, but then you're going to need to put some side back in on those spots where you've covered it with three inches of soil. Okay, I would I would.
Speaker 4: Do exactly That's what I needed to know, all right, Appreciate the information thank you.
Speaker 1: You bet, thank you. Appreciate your call. Ray, thanks a lot. Uh listen, if you are trying to reach us here on garden Line, I just won't tell you that you can do so at seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. I'll take a break and I'll be right back. Hey, welcome back to garden Lines. We're looking forward to talking to you today. I got some show left here in our final hour of garden Line this morning, So uh, I guess call now or forever hold your piece until next Saturday when we'll be back again. Arctic Insulation Solutions I talked about them yesterday. They are pretty much the experts the way I look at it when it comes to cutting down on your heating and cooling bills. So, for example, they do things like foil radiant barriers. It's not aluminum foil. It's a quality product on a very stronger base. It's an excellent product. But think of it like you would think of an aluminum foil that reflects heat back. Well, this goes up in your attic and it goes on the rafters across the attic. Because I have an opening at the top so he can escape out from behind there, and it can make thirty degree difference, and the temperature inside your attic, you know, addicts can get I've heard people have been attics and it was like one hundred and sixty degrees. I've been there. I mean definitely one hundred and forty hundred and fifty even. Well, what happens to that heat. It's radiating down on the ceiling in your home. And if you've got gaps around like where the registers are, that the little grades that put the air conditioning out, or around a light fixture or ceiling fans or wherever. If there's gaps around there, I mean, it is making a significant difference. Artic insulation solutions can also come out and they can do a seal up of all of those gaps and things and the difference that makes. It's like, well, if you left your window open all day to day in your living room or something, your air conditioner would be working pretty hard to keep up with that, and you would not be as comfortable in the room, would you. Well, that's why you need to have these guys come out and do what they do. Now, the radiant barrier that's one option. Another option is they can put in insulation. They can do any kind of insulation that you want done. The one that I would suggest you take a good hard look at is blown fiberglass. It costs less and it works very well. And they'll they'll put an I stick fluffy layer in there that'll go up to about R thirty eight on top of your ceiling. And that is really important if you already got some stuff in there and they're just gonna come in and top it off and get it right everywhere. It just takes a few hours for them to do that. They are very budget friendly, and so that means you go to them and you go, look, my electric bills are killing me. What can you do?
Speaker 10: You know, I.
Speaker 1: Don't own Fort Knox. I need to know, and they'll tell you, okay, well with your budget. These are what I would suggest. Here's the one, two three options that I would start with. One, go to two, go to three, however far you want to go. That's the best bang for your buck that you're going to get. They work with you like that. They have solar attic fans. That's a fan in the attic that's solar powered. You don't have to run electricity to it, and anytime the temperatures in the attic get above eighty five and above seventy five percent humidity. By the way, you don't want mold in the attic. This fan comes on, and I mean it moves there about fifteen one hundred cubic fee per minute. It moves air out of the attic. Go up in your attic on a sunny day, or least stick your head up in there. Be careful because it is unbelievably hot. You change the temperature up in attic thirty degrees, you've made a big difference in your air conditioning bills. So this kind of service ends up giving you money back over time or saving you money over time if you will, and as a result, it is worth the investment to do that. Now you can go to their website. It's arctic Houston dot com. Now most of us don't know how to spell arctic, so I'm gonna spell it for you. It's not art, it's a arc tic Houston dot com, arctich Houston dot com, or call them call them at eight three two five eight six twenty eight ninety three eight three to two five eight six twenty eight ninety three. They can do anything needs to be done up there. I mean we're talking about old insulation, dusty, moldy, pestin, invested whatever. They get it out there for you. They disinfect the attic area for improved air quality. They're air seal all those things we were just talking. I was just talking about their Arctic Solutions. Arctic Insulation Solutions, by the way, they cover all the way from on the west over in Berkshire, the east on the Bay Town up north to Willis and south of Galveston. If you're hearing my voice, they probably service your area. Eight three to two, five, eight six, twenty eight ninety three Arctic Solutions. Tell them you heard about it on Guardline. So I've been talking about herbs today. Herbs are one of my favorite types of plants to grow because they're so dad gum versatile. I've talked about herbs. Of course, everybody knows herbs and cooking and that that alone is worth growing herbs. But herbs can be ornamental. I talked about using solid burnout or chives as lining about like you would line with the little riopy or something. Herbs can be ornamental, like rosemary. If you have a Let's say you have a like relief in your landscape topographically, you know there's a high bed and then something lower. You can have rosemary spilling over the side the trailing types and they bloom really well, which attracts pollinators by the way it supports pollinators. Or you can have upright rosemary shrubs very drought resilient. Give them good drainage. They don't want to be in a swamp, but give them good drainage, and once they're established, you're going to be doing very little, if any watering to your rosemary because it's a very very good tough plant. There are herbs that are groundcovers, like oregano and thyme, we could be using those. And there's herbs that have beautiful flowers. I mentioned Mexico at myrgold and I mentioned what was that pineapple, sayes salvia that have beautiful flowers. Those are just two examples. There's way more than that. The term herb can be spread pretty far and wide over a lot of different things, and they are beneficial. One time I was in a garden up in Montgomery County, had the extension office there, and I saw a little mud Dauber type wasp and it was on time blooms in their herb garden, and oh, that's interesting, And I thought that mud Dauber is getting something out of those time blooms. And it flew off and I saw it flew off to a fence, and I followed it and it was making the little round marble shaped mudballs. I'm not talking about the big long cigar shaped things that are underneath your eaves that you hate. About a little tiny round marble. You've probably seen them on the screen to your house. I took that mud ball and broke it open. You know it was in it almost a dozen looper caterpillars. They were out in the garden eating leaves. So that mud Dauber was out there getting loopers and bringing them back and feeding it to its babies. And the herbs were also serving a function in that whole cycle. Herbs bringing in beneficial insects, parasitoid, wasp lay eggs, and aphids that cause the aphids to turn into a mummy. It's really cool if you're an aphi. It's like watching the movie Alien. But that herbs are an important part of our landscapes. Again, containers in beds wherever you want to grow them. They are herbs to grow and you should try some. And plus I just like smelling them. You know, I cannot pass by rosemary without rubbing on the on the leaves of it and just smelling my hand as I go buy same thing with copper canyon daisy and some others. When my kids were little, one of my daughters, we had one of those topiary rosemary's inside that's like shape like a Christmas tree. You know, you buy them at Christmas and bring them in and you know they're shape like a Christmas tree, and then you put them outside and plant them when the holidays are done. She would go out and hug the thing. I mean, she would bear hug that rosemary and she'd run down the hall. And I'd walk down the hall later, and I think Mussolini had invaded or something. I mean, there was like this Italian scent of wonderful rosemary fill in the house. I love herbs, as I hope you can tell, and you should too, give some a try. You can grow culinary ginger. There's another herb, I'll call it a herb. You can buy the little ginger sections in the store, plant them in the ground about two inches deep. They need lots of consistent soil moisture, don't let them dry out. And they need shade, but bright shade. So under the eaves of your house is a great place to plant those. If you keep them moist molt the soil that little bit you planted will expand and you can actually harvest a crop of ginger from your own beds. Just remember shade, shade, shade, but bright shade and moisture, and you can do that. People. Some people grow all kinds of things like that that are culinary. All right, well, there you go. That's my best shot at trying to get you to grow some herbs this year. Try something new. Every year we ought to be trying something new, maybe a new plant. It may be no way to grow a plant, however you want to go about it. Try something new. Too much fun to have in horticulture in your lawn. It's time to be doing the slow release fertilizers, the ones that take a long time to gradually release those good nutrients into the turf. And Neilson plant Food has a product called Slow and Easy. Slow and Easy, and that's a good name for it. It has it's designed. Dean designed that with several different types of nitrogen fertilizer in it, nitrogen compounds and some types of nitrogen. Some forms are immediately available. Some forms with some soul moisture and some warmth, they begin to release faster. Others it doesn't matter how wet it is, they're not going to release the nitrogen. There's biological activity that's going on to help break that down and get it out. But the combination is with Slow and Easy you get a gradual feed over four months plus. I mean, it really feeds long term. And you can find Nelson Slow and Easy in a lot of places that carry no some products. And when you put it down, you're good. You're good to go until my fall schedule application. If you download my lawn care schedule at gardening with Skip dot com, you'll see when to apply it in the fall, when to apply fall fertilizers. Slow and Easy will take you from now all the way through there. It's a super product. It works very very well, and it's widely available here in the Greater Houston area. Take care of your lawn and return your clippings now. If it rains for a week, and by the time you get out there. You know the grass is the tall. You could lose a toddler in the front yard. Well, then you're going to have to bag those up. But I would use them as mulches. I would use them as walkway materials. Put them in a compost pile. Don't throw away those are free nutrients. Listen, when you put fertilizer on your lawn and you grow grass clippings, and you cut off those grass clippings, they are full of the nutrients that the plant took up. So do you want to, as I say, rent fertilizer, put it down, grow grass clippings, pay somebody to haul it off your curb, or do you want to recycle your fertilizer grass clippings or nature's own slow release fertilizer. You just get to decide when you mow. Am I going to mulch them back in? Or am I going to use them for my compost in my beds and I walkways? Or am I going to pay somebody to haul away the fertilizer I bought? All right, Time for me to take a little break here. We'll be back with your calls seven to one three two one two KTRH got wide open lines right now. If you don't hesitate, you can be one of the first one or two up. All right, welcome back to Guarden Line. Folks.
Speaker 6: Have you with us?
Speaker 1: Uh, let's see here, I'm gonna just go straight out and talk to uh. Let's see. We're gonna get on the phone to Houston, talk to Glenn. I think this morning or this next call here. But first I've got to grab the right mouse. It's an epidemic today. There we go, Glenn. Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: Hey, good morning, Skipt. I wanted to ask you some things about my pecan trees.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 7: I don't want to say trees plurally, because what it actually is it's it's two trunks coming from the same root system, okay. And I've never had any pecans on it. And I was told by someone that I would need to have a female pecan tra I don't know. I couldn't tell you a male from a female tree, So I don't know what I've got out there, Okay, But but it's been there for some years, never had any pecans on it. And there's some neighbors behind me that have some pecan trees, probably within fifty yards and I don't know what that they've they've buried pecans in the past, but they've always been rotten inside, so I don't know what's going on on with those. But okay, what do I need to do to get this pecan tree to bear bear pecans?
Speaker 1: What is the rough diameter of those trunks about? You know, waist higher, so we're talking about eight inches ten inches? Four inches?
Speaker 19: How about well they're roughly twelve inches.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So just a clarification first, the people that said there's male and female pecans, that's not true. But what they were trying to say wash There's two types of pecans. One the pollen those little pipe cleaner looking catkins that hang down and fall on the ground later that they come first, and then the individual little tiny pecan nutlets become receptive to pollen. The other type, it's vice versa. The pecan nutlets are receptive and then that tree's pollen is shed toward the end of that or a little bit later. So you want one of both types, either pollen first or nutlets receptive first. There are so many pecan trees around the area, and there is some they're wind pollinated, not be pollinated. That generally, you don't have to worry about putting two different types of pecans in your yard. They'll pollinate themselves. And if you've got a neighbor with trees, they probably are the are going to pollinate your trees for you. If you don't know which type you have. Next spring, go out and if you can reach a branch to look at it. Notice when the nutlets come out, little tiny ones, I mean they're like a quarter inch long when they first come out. And then look at the pollen, and you're going to see one is going to be before the other. If the ends on the nutlets are already black or brown, that means they're done. They've already either been pollinated or not. And just see which happens first. And that's the type of pecan you have. So I suspect around your neighborhood you're going to have some pecan dust pollen that is adequate to pollinate your tree. If that's not the case, then you would need to plant one that's the other type from what you have. There's a website. Do you have a pin or paper handy there where you could write something down?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, I want you to go to a website and the name of it is Aggie Horticulture. I'm not going to read out the URL. Just do a search for Aggie Horticulture. On that page. There's the very front page you'll see where you click on fruits and nuts and you click there and you get a list of ever possible kind of fruit and nut you could ever grow, and go down to the pecan one and look at it, print it out, read it online. It's free to do whatever you want to do with it. And read a little bit about those and the varieties and that thing I just got through describing to you about pollen first or nutlets first, and when you determine what you have, you can use that publication to pick a variety that's the other kind from what you have.
Speaker 3: Alight.
Speaker 7: One more thing, very quickly is last year I had a real issue with the webworms on this tree.
Speaker 4: It was they were really really bad.
Speaker 1: Do they watch come out later later on, like in the fall?
Speaker 3: Is that is that when they make their way back.
Speaker 1: Around the worst webworms or late summer and fall, we have a spring population that ever now and then can be kind of bad. Usually is not too bad, but start looking in August for webs and and you can break those up with a long pole or a strong stream of water. You can spray the trees. Most people in a residential neighborhood are not going to go to that, but just breaking them up. But they're number one predator is paper wasps. They build a little paper nests under your heaves. They eat web worm and other caterpillars all day. That's their number one food.
Speaker 7: Well back when I was in the pest control because I had a spray rig on my truck where I reached.
Speaker 19: Okay, very high, but I don't know there you go there, but that's fu of them, you know. Yeah, all right, Glenn, good luck, Thanks for you all right, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, thank you very much. Appreciate the call.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Nelson Water Gardens. Nelson Nursery and Water Gardens is out there in Katie. It's your West Houston destination garden center. It is, and it's a great one too. You go in there. First of all, drive to Katie out I ten turn north on Katie for Ben Road, and then just up the street a little bit on the right will be Nelson Nursery and Water Gardens. You're going to find the most beautiful pottery I've ever seen, and all the kinds of those tall vase like urns that you used to make a water recycling or yeah, recirculating kind of fountain that by the way, Nelson invented that. Uh you you can buy them there or you can you can take any container that can turn it into one of those. But they are just beautiful. They have the fish to go in ponds, they have the things like lily pads and others to go in ponds. But their nursery is just loaded with gorgeous plants, all kinds of things, from the houseplants that are inside to the plants on the outside. This is a good time. And I'm telling you, as we get into summer and things get hot, you need heat loving plants like vinkas and like pentas and zinnias and other things. They've got all of that at Nelson Water Garden. And also at Nelson Water Garden, you're going to find the beautiful sound of water that alone is worth going and grab a kid to go with you and go in. When you and some child you know there, your kids, your grandkids, whatever, or maybe your spouse, I'm just gonna leave that one there. They tell them you would like some fish food to feed the fish, and they'll give you a little a handful of fish pellets and the kids can go out in the back. There's a big old pond in the back where you can reach down and the fish literally come up a little bit out of the water and you can just drop the fish food right in their mouth and kids will love that. I love to go and just listen to the sound of water. There are a few things as therapeutic as water. But I got to warn you you're gonna want to come home with some kind of a water feature from Nelson Nursery and Water Gardens because they are so so cool. Well, I need to take a little break when we come back. We got two calls and that is Dwayne in Mount Bellevue and Jim in a task Casita and y'all will finish up the day. Welcome back to Garden Line. Listen to Ace Hardware stores or the go to place for all the things you need for the outdoors, for the outside, for your lawn fertilizers. You hear me talk about all these fertilizers. Ace Hardware carries them. You hear me talk about pest control, disease control, weed control products. ACE Hardware carries them. You need tools, They've got them there ready to go on that. And they got staff there that can help you, that can point you in the right direct help you have success. That's what ACE is all about. They say, ACE is the place, and you get to fill in the blank. ACE is a place for you fill in the blank. ACE Hardware stores are all over the greater Houston area. My group for garden line here. You just go to ACE Hardware Texas dot com. Ace Hardware Texas dot com. Find the one near you. Stores like Bakelface on Grand Avenue and Baycliffe, All Star, Ace and Magnolia on fourteen eighty eight, League City ACE down in League City, Lake Conroe, ACE on Highway one oh five out almost to Montgomery. Out there Port Lavaca, ACE, Calhoun Plaza and Port Lavaca Memorial Ace Hardware a Memorial Drive. I was there earlier this year, had a nice appearance there. Child's Building Supply out in Orange, Texas on sixteenth Street. All examples of the many mini ACE Hardware stores you'll find at ACE Hardware Texas dot Com. Go into an ACE Hardware store, do a little shopping this week. And hey, if you're looking for Father's Day, I guess Ace is going to have tons of stuff for the guy on your list. I'm telling you. If they're into tools, they got you covered. They're into barbecuing. Oh my gosh, that they got you covered everything you would need. It's a great place. Not just guys too, ladies and men both all kinds of specialty gifts that you'll find in your Ace hardware store. What's that out now, Tom up Bellevue. We're going to talk to Dwayne. Hey, Dwayne, welcome to Guardenline.
Speaker 3: Hey, good morning, Skip, thanks for taking my call. I sent you some pictures of a fist tree that I planted in early twenty twenty four, and unfortunately it didn't survive the freeze. So I have new limbs coming up in the picture you can see. And I read all kind of articles. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to cut some back to send it out to get more fig down the road, or if I just need to let it stay like it is.
Speaker 1: If I were you, I would not prune it at this time. The fig lost, you know, its top growth to the freeze. But basically it needs to get a lot of leaves in sunlight, making carbohydrates to build power and strengthen that plant so they can grow faster and bear well. So for now I'd leave it alone. But what I would do is I would get rid of the grass around it. You can find a product that kills just grass. You got bermuda grass around it, and you got your Saint Augustine around that. If you could give that fig about a two foot in all direction circle, whatever you can afford to give it esthetically, go ahead and kill the grass in that big circle area and put a nice mult over the top. You can even compost over the surface of the soil and get that fig growing. And that was that will do more for making it grow and become a nice big tree that will bear for you than even fertilizing will. Just that grass is a strong competitor with the fig. So that doesn't mean don't fertilize. You could also fertilize, but I'm just and uh, if you're looking, have you ever been to my website gardening with skip dot com.
Speaker 3: I've been there a few tip.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, okay, good, Well, when you go there, there's a thing called herbicides for skip'sweed wiper. Basically, it's a list of herbicides according to the weed you're going after, and there's two on there. I think there's two, uh uh, maybe more that are just grass killers, so you can spray them. If they get on the fig, it won't hurt it. If you spray them in your contunity bed, it's not going to hurt the petunias. They kill grass, and I would use one of those. You're gonna have to probably do it more than once, but that's the safest. If you get in there, you know, with the equivalent of the old round up type stuff, and you get it on the figure, you're gonna kill your fig. So I like that grass on the killers. But they're there. It's on the website herbicide less set up there. But I would get going on it. That's the biggest favor you can do it. It also keeps the weed eater in the lawn mower away, which which is important.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So one more question is you can see where the day it stop is it's still about three foot Do I just go ahead and cut that back?
Speaker 1: Okay? Okay, yeah, you can just if it's dead, just cut it off there at the ground. Yeah, all right, good luck. Now you know, the rule on garden line is I don't well. The rule on guardline win is I don't charge for advice, but I do expect half the produce you grow as a result of my advice. So I love figs. Just bring half of what you produce to the to the show and we'll call it even.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, once I get some strawberry big failure, I'll bring you some.
Speaker 1: Have a good well, I am pulling your leg. I gotta have a little fun with you. Thanks a lot, ma'am, appreciate it. Have a good weekend. We're gonna go now to Tascasita and talk to Jim this morning. Jim, you are the caboose of the show today. How can we help? Okay?
Speaker 11: So today's question is about technique application.
Speaker 3: Okay, and here's what it is. I spread some good compost.
Speaker 1: On the bed.
Speaker 11: Now I've got shredded tee deer bark.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: What I'm doing.
Speaker 11: Question is when I spread it, I'm spreading it wet because it spreads a lot easier, believe it or not, and more evenly. Now, the next question is do I keep the bark tight or do I keep it loose on the ground, on the bed itself.
Speaker 1: You said.
Speaker 11: The bottom line is, I'm looking at it now and it looks really good wet underneath.
Speaker 10: But you tell me what to do with the rest of it.
Speaker 1: Now, just leave it loose. I don't I can't quite picture it. But like if you have long strips of cedar and so it literally was just like all this light and air going through, because it's so like a pile of sticks, then you probably need to grind it up a little bit more. But you don't need to press it down. You need to press it down.
Speaker 11: Don't need to press it down.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh I skip, thanks a lot for help.
Speaker 1: I have a great day. Thank you, Thank you man, you too. Shit you call well, folks. I've got a little bit of time here for me to talk about one or two things, but I just want to thank you for listening today. It's been a good day on the phones with you. Guys. We want to help you have success. Just remember, if you have questions during the week, send me a photo, but then follow up with a call, follow up with it all. I'm just not able to take on answering emails and you know, kind of end up a lot of times questions you sort of like you become pimpals going back and forth, and I'm just not able to I wish I could. But if you'll send me your question with some photos attached, then call on Saturday or Sunday and we'll talk about it. We've had a number of people that have done that.
Speaker 6: So the.
Speaker 1: Idea is when you send a photo, to make sure it's in sharp focus, and I need to see what you're seeing, and so I usually like a picture of the overall setting. So I get a picture of that overall plant, and then up close, maybe turn a leaf over, take a picture of the underside. Check them before you send them. You want a good, sharp answer, not a fuzzy answer, So don't send me a fuzzy photo, send me a good sharplaint and we will help you. Looking forward to helping you and pointing you in the right direction. It's time for us to go. I hope you have a wonderful week out there in the garden. Get out and visit one of our independent garden centers this afternoon. These mom and pop local businesses deserve your support. They help make it possible for you to get to listen to Guardline. Have you ever thought about that the reason you get to listen to guard Line is because they are sponsoring the show and support our sponsors. I just asked that you do that, but maybe get out there and just have fun. There are so many good things to do, so much time, so many plants, so little time. As the way I like to put in, have a great week.