Speaker 1: Welcome to Jewish History Uncensored with Mark Shapiro. This is season sixteen, episode thirty two.
Speaker 2: We're in part uh, this is part thirty two. We're two thirds of the way done. So you've been with me so far. We'll take it to the end of theres Sesshia. I, since you read the Rabbi Calman mentioned rabi, you know, I had an epiphany that I raised the question why it's called Robunniat, like I'm not talking about today when they rabbit sens they called him rabb Neat. And also I said, refers to like women, rabbis is rabunnique women tell Meami, So he's using a femine and why not Rabba? Why because that Rabba is with someone that picked today. And I had the epiphany that it comes uh, like, how do you see a righteous woman? Well, there's two ways to say it. One is sadekas and one is sad khan eat. In fact, we would talk about the nushing sudcannios. So it's obvious to me and I didn't know I because I raised the question a number of questiones ago, where did they get the studia rob Anita. I think it's parallel to sud Khanat. Strangely enough, I checked the gestro, and so you have Sadekas. The poor of sadekas is Suddi cot you think there'd be a woman female sadi Ka, but it's not. It's Sadeep Sadekas or khan Eat. So I think rob Anat is along the model of Khanat. So thank you, Rabbi kilvin Uh. Okay, a couple of things before we get going. Oh and I hope melts with us, because if he is met with us, text MeMail. If not, I'm going to hold off. I'm with you, okay now, borfisham. But before we get to that, I'm want to show you something here it's relevant to we spoke about last week when I mentioned young orthodox public intellectuals, and if I had more time, I'd play you something from one of my favorite public intellectuals, Glenn Lowry, speaking to one of my other favorite public intellectuals, John mcwarder of Columbia, and he gives his definition of what a public intellectual is and why Abram Kindy, if you know the culture wars, why he is not he's an empty suit? He calls him. He's not. But this Rabbi Harie Lamb. I don't know if anyone knows him from the Lamb family. He is I guess grandson of Norman Lamb. He is also one of these young up and coming public intellectuals doing or by Sachs said to do right for you know. I don't know if he's in Walls a journal yet, but Newsweek other things. So this appeared just two weeks ago when I just saw it By, I saw it randomly. And what I want to share with you and why it's relevant to what we were doing is uh, he's he doesn't. He's talking about how the base Medriss. He quotes how with George will went to the yu Yshia University based Meatris. She said, how can anyone learn anything in here? There's too much noise. So he talks about the idea of rabbis and the base meadress through arguing, and that's as long as you accept certain basic presumption. Is nothing wrong with having strongly held opinions, et cetera. But Denny says in the middle, he says, you're talking about the Gamarra. He says, one might imagine that discussions among such a stem and holy rabbis will be conducted in hushed, respectful tones. Instead, the ancient sage just cracked jokes, traded vicious puns, and insulted each other's appearances. And then he goes on with another example. So, uh, that's exactly what I mentioned, that all these insults and other things. When you look at it, you're like, why would they speak this way? But rabbi speaking to other rabbis is like a club we when we look in and it's like strange because we're we're sort of on the outside looking in. That was at least my point. Okay, now you got to ring the bells here because it's correction time. And I always very hap there's no embarrassment making corrections, especially maybe if it was an area I'm expert in. But what I'm gonna tell you now is something I'm just there's a few experts areas. I guess I can say I'm sort of expert, but this is just derivative from what I've learned and what I've seen. And it's not my mistake. It's all the people, even online you see a lot of people. It's what I was always under the assumption. And I think Howard Handler for this, and uh, now raised the question about I don't know what you know that uh biro that's what it should be. And I said, well, look at the rhyming. It's obviously you're ah. And I played you the MW the the different uh renditions of a dono lum. Also I showed you how uh in the first line it goes and there's a name for this, uh this where you do unstressed stressed, unstressed stressed uh do oh lum, and then you get to melech. So it has to be lech and uh so if you look around the way I described it is exactly how it's described that uh uh. In fact, if you google it, you see in the old Wikipedia before it was corrected that they give this example for the special type of figure what they call it, of type of poetry where it's unstressed, unstressed, unstressed. They give that very line of adno um. You can find all sorts of other examples, and you can also find exactly what I said, discussions of it that uh. It has to be the last syllable, even though it's from a grammatical standpoint, it's a bira ach birah. Okay, now what Howard uh. And and based upon that, I said that this is an example like we see later with poets that even though the grammatical rule is one thing, they intend you to pronounce it the way I said. And as I said, that's not my idea, that's what's out there. And all, well, thank you, Howard Handler, he points out to me and Raymond Schindlin. I don't know if Schindlin or Shandlin taught for many years at the seminary, an expert in Hebrew poetry. He takes up this issue and he says it's not true. He believes this is an achronistic thing. You can see, and I thank you Howard Howard, who himself studied this years ago. You can find an essay of Schindlin, a guy to Golden age Hebrew Prosiby. He basically says his follow what his point was. And I saw also in the encycled A Jahica, because then I started investigating it that the Spanish poets were not at all interested in rhyming the way I mentioned, And that's that comes later. Schindlan says stress plays no role in rhyme. Thus a stressed syllable may rhyme with an unstressed syllable. The point is that for the Spanish poets, the only thing that was important was the meter yet tayed to Noah, et cetera, and that when you sing it it has to be recited the way we do, because when you sing it, that's the way it has to be. But the idea, so the idea that I said, that I expressed in which I've seen, it's all. It's all out there. It's according to stress of Scheindlin and others. It's not true at all that all they cared about was tayd and and therefore what I said was incorrect. That the poet did not intend you to intend it to be read as be raw rhyming, because for him the only thing that mattered was the meter. And I take Professor Schindlin, he's the expert, the real expert. Furthermore, then, so then I looked back again at the Judah lady, and also with parjon Uh in his work, because they what are they doing. They're criticizing all the people who, for the sake of poetry are putting uh mila l migla all the things I mentioned. If you read it, you see though he's only referring to where where for the point set where for the meter you add let's say, an extra vove that then turns at Mila l or Mila raw. He's not referring to the rhyming that will come about two hundred years later. But it's not. It's so mel I I correct myself and uh, it's uh. I take back what I said that it's obvious that the poet had to have that rhyme. And as I said you, the funny thing is that when I Google and I found that in the old Wikipedia, they say this, But then you have these chats. I don't know if you ever noticed Wikipedia. They have discussions chats and someone explains to the person in road just that no, that this form of poetry you're speaking about it's not chanistic. The Spanish poets didn't use it. They only used and no one has yet corrected that. So uh, there you go. So I will thank I'm thankful that I could uh correct that we spoke about this. Citter Well on behold, these classes are now having an impact on the next version of the arts. Gul Sitter. I don't know how many people actually get it, how many shows, but you'll see it. Why because I told you that in the Brookol in the morning it says the art sport sitter says sally called Sarki. And I said that not the art spoil. The Koran which has followed the vocalization in the RCA is exactly from Korn, and I said it should be uscily called Sarki. So they put it first. So they booked at all the differently durium and they put it to the expert professor Richard Steiner, and he concludes that what I said is absolutely correct. So the next version of the RCA, sitter it's to us so Lee, because remember Lee, it's you push back in the previous word, the syllaba goes one back. Since I just gave a correction, gave credit for art scroll, let me tell you something. You know, I went with this that the art scroll gets it wrong and Coryn and RCAA gets it right. In Kiddish, where is it in Kiddish Friday Nights, we say ki hum terrilla? What comes after that? Well, in the song sort of quasi song, we say, let me karai kodish. That's how arts girl has it. The Koran has it let me kra Kodish. Now this one. It's uh, it's not so problematic here. It's time to figure this out. All you have to do is look here in the hummish. There you go, Loo can post peak houff gimo there Pussoka base it says it explicitly mikra kodesh and then look down, Uh Meladashian mikra ko dish. Now, so why isn't it Why is it this not with nasoka hor Why because ko dish the accent's on the first syllable, so you would expect the previous word to be mekry like artsrow has it. Well, that's it's an exception, and people have offered reasons why. Uh, there's an exception there the olive so whatever. But whatever it is, we see clearly that Corn is right and RCA is right, and uh we can get into this if you want. Maybe next class, I'll talk about hamote cy or homoe c because they get another big mahokus. There is it? How most the kamin arts or homoz arts and it's not Israelis versus Americans because again for syllables, then you'd expect nasoga hor in the previous one. The last thing I want to do before we begin is I've created a lot of questions about the Dryasneh situation. Before I do, though, just let me show you a few things on your own. You can look at I mentioned Bosnian SS troops. By mistake, I said Serb officers. It's crows. You can, for instance, look at your whole big article here in Wikipedia, and this is called the Hanshard Division. These are Croatian officers Bosnian Muslim uh fighting on the side of the Nazis. Here you have a picture of there's the Mufti he raised, these SS office, these SS soldiers among the Muslim population. You can also, as I found another article on this is another division of the SS, also Bosnian Muslims. Here are German officers and Bosnian Muslim soldiers. The other thing I wanted to show you is if you look in the we spoke about the your good, if you look at the the terrorist attacks in the thirties, you have all sorts of things that I'm not prepared to defend. For example, bombs thrown into crowded marketplaces, bombs detonated in buses. This is exact sort of thing that the Rabbis were very opposed to. If you start from the during the insurgency. Then you notice they're all attacks on soldiers. You have the the incident I mentioned last class, the Sergeant affair, where in response to Jews being executed for their underground activities, they executed two sergeants, which by the way, led to five Jews being killed by British policemen taking revenge. So this is a different sort of You know, they thought they were fighting a war, a battle to a free Israel from imperialists, which explains, by the way, why they were interested in allying with the Soviet Union over Shampas. I finished up Heller's book on and let's let me just read to you page three forty seven. This is a letter from L. Dodds in which he writes in nineteen forty eight he says add was one of the leaders of him Manuel and of Rechi. He says, there is no doubt that there will be a world war between the USSR and the USA and Britain. We shall fight on the side of the USSR. So that that's Lech, that's not your good. I already mentioned that for Lechi the most important thing was freeing the land of Israel, and they were prepared even to ally with the Nazis, if the Nazis would help, would stop their extermination the Jews and would help them free the land of Israel. But if you do go further during the war, it's civil war itself. You do have examples again of bombs at the Damascus gate, at the cinema, et cetera. I'll leave it for other people to discuss the morality of this. What I do want to mention, however, is the Dieocen situation, because I don't know if the word I use massacre, which is the word you often use, is the correct word. No one was ever taken out and shot against the wall things like that, But I think you know, if innocence were killed, I guess you can call it a massacre. So did it happen or not? The number in Daria scene is one hundred and fifteen. You have two different versions of what happened here. Now, first of all, understand the Israeli government, of the Proto government, the Jewish Agency and Haganah, they acknowledged that they were innocence killed and they sent a letter of apology, et cetera. So normally people would say that's an acknowledgment by the government. It's a little more problematic for the defenders of the other side in that the claim could be made that they were very interested in getting rid of the your good and you know, having them discredited so attributed to them a massacre which they didn't take part of, would serve those purposes. Incidentally, the number you might hear of two hundred and fifty people killed, that's a phony number, but that's near good number. They're good wanted to make it seem as if we want to scare the and say they killed all these people. So a couple of you emailed me and that There's been two books that have challenged this. One is by Ury Milstein and the other is Eliezer Talbert. Yes, they all acknowledge that innocedence were killed, but in what context were innocence killed. Their argument is that these were all in houses, and to get into the houses they through hand grenades and things like that, so they were all killed in that way. Although Eliezer Talbert does say he gives he says as follows and the heat that the only example he thinks of innocence being killed was this one family that came out with their hands raised and an individual, your good fighter shot at them, killing eleven, and he did this in his mind for revenge. But other than that, there were no examples. So look at the end, as I said, I don't know. I'm not an expert in this. This is a debate between people. RYE. Bulstein, who's a you know, a renowned and important historian of of the War of Independence. He's not some like orthodox type person trying to put forth a position. He's a real historian and he totally rejects. On the other I'm Benny Morris, who's done important work. Uh, he thinks differently. Everyone acknowledges there were war crimes. There's no question there were war crimes. But we're not you know, if an individual killed here were a woman rape, we're not talking about that. We're talking about more, you know, more people were killed. So the point I wanted to make though, is that I don't care really it's it's not it's not really important for my purposes. What I was saying is that number one, you don't discredit Zionism based on that if you have soldiers who behave improperly. And remember I was responding to our anti Zionist person who was saying here you want you and your state, look what it did. I mean, I can go down the list of the Arab massacres out. Do you know what happened when he going up to Hebrew University was at seventy eighty people killed? And go to Professor Freeman who is the editor of the Chuva Tarambam. They were simply how many times Jews were just stopped and massacred like that. I can go down a very very long list. So the fact that let's assume it did happen, Nah for the sake of argument, it doesn't discredit it's not an original sin. It's not it's it's people doing the wrong thing. And and my other point is that we shouldn't be afraid of the truth. If this thing can never be proven one way together, then it remains a dispute teku as we would say. But if it's true, and if it is, it isn't we we should be able to look look in Tanach, you see Jews and the Danah did bad things. If Jews can do bad things too, it doesn't we can we can accept that and understand know that we're pained by this. If it is, if it did happen, and we're bothered by this. We don't celebrate this, we don't like this, we don't want this. And I have to say, I think that makes us different than the other side, which celebrate these sorts of things. But so what is it authentic? Did it happen or not? Again, leave it to Milstein and Benny Marris. Benny Morris, by the way, he argues, I mean he is the one who uncovered, based on the government documents, that Israel actually expelled many Arabs, contrary to what we were told growing up that you know, they all left on their own because they were told by the Arab governments. And Mars claims that they should have expelled more because then they would have been an end to this whole problem, because the two populations would have been so normally you think of people denying the expulsions for political reasons. Bennie Morris argues, basically, I don't think it's argument anymore. I mean it's factual based on government documents. This is hog and I we're talking about now. And he says that the mistake of Ben Gurion was not expelling more Aros because in a wartime this is a fifth column and uh, these things happen and then you have to look at the larger pictures. So it's not like Benny Morris is some I'm believing heart liberal here arguing when he talks about Daria scene. So well, let's say that. Let us now pick up on where we are. As I said, we are about two thirds of the way done. We're picking up Simon Kufio tests number one, nineteen page race Mamazie and the question I had and this went. We're going to be interest to be introduced to some new people soon. But their high rappaport is as follows the Tanya. Question about the Tanya both about a textual matter and an ideological sort of position. I want to show you what appears in the Tanya. I don't know if we have any people here who learned Tanya, anyone who spent any time in Kabad. Of course, this is their their major text. It's been published basically every place on earth where I don't know what that means. When I talk about publishing, like in the North Pole, or if they did go there, I don't know. I don't know how you publish, how you set up Maybe they published too, they set up a portable printer. I don't know what they do, but you now, in the end of the time, ya, you have something called e garatta kodish and from the Balatoni or Shani Zamnavaladi, and I want to read you something that he says here in section twenty two. He says, an open rebuke out of concealed Come now and let us a judge. Remember the days of old, consider the years of every generation. Has such ever happened since the days of the world? And where, oh where you have found such a custom in any one of the books of the earlier and latter stages of Israel, that it should be usage and regulation to ask for advice in mundane matters. He's saying he was asked a question like like, well, what type of house should I buy you? Something like that? And the Balatonia says, whoever heard of such a practice? That you asked the rabbi a question like this in mundane matters? Such was not a even of the greatest of the sages of Israel at the time. When I'm Ryan, you never would. The only people you would ask things like this about is maybe he've had a real profit. So he says the Valatania says, we don't have this concept of asking questions of great rabbis, So already you see, this is very much an odds with what do you think of him today? Hassein him today? Including obabachers who would go to the rebbe ask about everything. Should I take a new job, should I go to the university? Uh in lebamacha Rebby. I knew someone who Obabaca Rebbi. I was in Brandeis with him. I was a student and he was a student with me. Dobabacarebbi told him to go to university and told him. I guess he told him to go to Brandeis too. I don't remember if he did, but he told him to go to university. So uh, I'm assuming he asked him which university. Uh. This was a guy who's a Baltuva. He was a Russian and he was very good at mathematics. So the rebbe would give different answers to different people, but they would ask the rebbe everything. And in the Hasidic world, you can't get married, of course, unless you get approval from the rebbie and all sorts of things. So here you see, uh, maybe marriage is not mundane but in terms of jobs, in terms of all sorts of stuff, you see the Bollatonia giving a very different perspective. Now that that's not what I there's a question I asked, although this is important because this text is always cited. Maybe if you have some habbotniks, they can say, well, you have to read it differently, but this text is always cited as showing how things are different today than in the past from the Balaton and I'll read your mazous in a second. My question was, as follows that if you go back, if you go to the Hebrew, it says, as follows, He says the beginning line for he says, where have we found Where did you find min hugs at of macaroni? Where did you find such a practice? And all the whole Jewish holby books leos min hug the tikun. It's a goshs cads malos. I go back and forth, phardacushions, I can't keep trying. He says, where do you find in all the holy writings that there's a minhug vitikun to ask advice some great rabbis what to do if it's you know, mundane matters oh magashi. Oh magashi means you know, I want to get a new house, should I buy here or here? Or should I get a four bedroom house or a two bedroom house, et cetera. Well, what about this word minhuk fatiquin. So if you look at the English translation, he translates it as usage and regulation. But I don't know if you read it, it's it's obvious. If you know we're beIN a keeper, it should be minhug vatikan a sikhin. Now, well, we have this phrase the vasikin. They referred to the pious, the pious people pious of old in particular. Uh, that's where we get the expression dovin vasikin. And you have the expression minhug masiqui in all over rabbinic literature. That is, you have minhug of the harmonam, which often the rabbis tried to get rid of. But then if they think that it's a min hug of good standing, where even if it's problematic, but the earlier rabbis vouched for it or established it, they then they always say, well, this is a minigma sekin, so you can we can keep this minhak. So if you read it here it's seems to me, at least I thought it should be clear that it says where did you find the KOs minigma sekin? Where do we find it? This is, you know, an authoritative type of minihal. So I asked her by clime Rappidport clime rapport. We spoke about it. Show this picture again. What's going on here?
Speaker 1: Is this?
Speaker 2: Uh should this? This is a printing error in the Tanya Isntania. Every single person uses they were print over and over again. So he writes to me, and he says that I'm not the first person to suggest this. The Kousenberger Rebbe also uh quoted it and changed it to the Sikins. We're gonna deal with the Kousenberger Rebbe and a couple classes. But then he points out that in the first printing of this letter it does say nan ask. So it seems apparently that there's a that in all the standard tanya is now, including the one of they just translated. It's it's a mistake. It is a good possibility. It's a mistake because the Levavic authorities they know about this, but they still they changed it. It's so I'm really not sure, but Roby Ropmore thinks it's a mistake. A few weeks ago in Rabbi Mazous, we know rebeen Mazoo's. We'll come back to Massoo's in a couple of weeks again, or a few weeks. But in his number two thirty nine, I think that's four weeks ago, his weekly Torah newsletter, Lo and behold, he deals with this very same passage passage, and I'll read you what he says. He says, this is on a section nine. He speaks about how the time has printed every single place, uh, everywhere, and then he mentions this letter and he quotes this letter which I just quoted you from the Ballatania, And he says, after quoting, whoever heard is such a thing that you ask the great Rabbis about matters of goshmush mundane matters? And he says, how you coolam? Demon say? He says, today everyone knows this. What do you mean? Ever? No, no, he says, he says today everyone knows it. Says everyone knows the opposite that that you do go to the rabbis. And he gives the example, if you have a he's a slower, if you have any if you have a problem if you didn't get a business question, et cetera. Or if there's someone who's ill, poet miracles say late, so you go to the rabbi who bosses you and gives you advice. You have people in the Haadi world who won't take the vaccine unless they go ask the rabbi. The rabbi, where's the rabbi know about the vaccine house? Since when is the rabbi an expert in medicine that you're supposed to ask him? It's there's what the dying from Brooklyn who listens to the show. He was shocked because on you you now have people going to the Monorthodox rabbis, and you have the well, I don't know if they're asking, but you have the modern Northnox rabbis for Shafter and the others. They're out there saying to take the vaccine. And he's astounded by this. He comes from a casenic world, because what us in the modern Orthodox world, we care whether the rabbi says take the vaccine or not. Raschachter himself says, you have to do what the doctors say. But the whole concept that we put a rabbi up to tell us uh at listen and part what people I know, they care what the doctor's saying. They're not deciding one way or the other based upon even a go to biser like for Shachter. So it's it's sort of like bleed in maybe from the Haredi world, but in the Hairadi world. You needed the ministers of health in Israel. They need to go to bed Brock, they need to get the do and they need to get r. Kondievski to announce you have to take the vaccine. It's astounding, but that's that's the way it is. Uh so Ramazusa quote he says, but in the days the Balataanya, this was a new thing. It meeans because the Balatania doesn't understand. What are you asking me a question about goshnias uh i'm our Indemarca said along the balata such concept uh lohaya minato the Bollatonia saying there's no such man ugain, don't ask. And then he says, and what it says in the letter minavatikun. This is not the tikun. It should be minatikin and uh and then he goes on and and he says at the end, he says, I recently saw in a hover that's like a little booklet. Melli it's higham America, say irsha mia fatikun ski.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: He says, I recently saw in a pamphlet, uh, it's high from America. That someone pointed it out. There is no It's high American journal. Why that's not true actually, but that's not where he saw this. He saw this in this book. How do I know this because he sent me four pages of notes, Borrow said. One of the notes is on this letter of very by bapp Board, in which he said, I too agree that it should be Vasikin. So I believe he's just forgetting now. In the note here, Rabbi Mazeus says he gives a story an example. He says, he says, once they uh, they woke up. He says, these people go and ask the rabbi everything he goes. Sometimes they really go crazy. Once they woke up with Vinci and abash Vince was from Poat Yosei Yeshiva Big Startagrabbi in the middle of the ninety three am, and he said, he said to them, what do you want? And uh, he said, tomorrow I have he must have heard this from reventure. Oh tomorrow, I have a brist of my grandson. Which color sweater should I uh bring to him for the the you know, to dress the grandson?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Well, he wants to know is sagua? What? What? What type of sweater should he dress the child? Who's gonna have the bristle? So the rabbi said to him the color of a sweat or why is that important? And he says, well, there's a dispute between me and my wife, that is between this grandma and grandpa. Uh, what the child should wear? So they go into the rabbi to ask him what to do. How one of them says it should be yellow and the other says it should be white. What should we do? And uh, rebby Bench says to them he feels it I wrote night because of this you woke me up. And the man said to him, an I thought that you don't sleep. You're like an angel, you don't sleep.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then Red Mazul says, is a shoot a slut? Is a bahroot? What idiocy? And then he says it's good sometimes that your phone is off or that no one knows your phone number.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: So they don't drive you crazy, Matifa, what is this craziness? I'll ze me to name Khan Balatanya And this, he says, is what the Balata is complaining about. That people were starting this nonsense that every little thing, you need to ask the rabbi what sweater you're gonna wear, because he's supposed to decide work it out with your wife. That's why you're in. You don't need to go to the rabbi to decide. Uh, but uh what sweater to wear? Let's see, uh, Simon. And it's just a protests that uh we we came that Revos happened to speak about that. If we didn't have all these tangents, we probably would have spoken about it the same week that he dealt with it. So is that just random? Nothing in this world is random? According to some According to the summary show okay on to Simon Koff and the title of this is called, Oh We're back to the vavin Air. One of the leading rabbis of the religion of the Hardal world in the cob the right wing religious Zionist the world, but of the the Mamachti type. The uh, the real connection to the state can do no wrong type of I don't know how else to describe it. But the very influential of Evinir, one of the most influential of the hard Delhi rabbis in both camps, who lives in bay Tel. Instantly they say he doesn't get along with the other side of Beakedel has Rebbisama Muhammed also Hardhal, but from the other side of the card doll and apparently they don't get along. But if my son and daughter right before the lockdown had a tour, if any of you go to Israel when we're able to, you want to get the best tour of the old city, it's by Rabbaillo. Let me show you a picture of this. He's a good friend of mine. And but if you want a tour, hold on. Maybe some of you have even heard him in lectures Robiio gold Hubber. This is Rabba Llachio gold Hubber, and he's a he's stolen Carlin, stolen Hassen. He's he's an expert in so many areas and uh and one of the areas he's an expert in is the Yshev Hayasham, the old community of Erisistah and Jerusalem. So it gives these tours of the old city. I had it and I paid for my son and a few Shiva friends and my daughter and they went on the tour. And one of the site places they go to is the the Yeshiva Revavimir used to be at Tara Koni and now the Quanitaria shall Line. It's in the Muslim quarter of the old city. But I told the boys to wear their baseball hats and uh. Although walking with Yeo Goldhamber, it doesn't I don't know. But if you've never been, if you've never seen the Koto Katan, there's a section of the Koto Marv which is in the Muslim quarter which people don't know about. It's the actual Kotel except we see it on the left side. It doesn't end there. It continues and it picks up. I remember when I was in Israel once in the summer a tishaba. People go there. But if you want to take your tour with uh, he gives he gave the Mormons a tour last year. Of course, obviously the Torri gave the Mormons will be if he's not talking about Rafemul Savant and other things and showing them the Yeshiva's but he's really he's really something else. Uh so Revvener Yeshiva's in you know, in the Moslim quarter a territoryhal Alum, and uh that was one of the places they visited. The question I asked for Wavinaire is as follows. I don't want to get into really he's he's quoting of Cook. I don't want to get it's about Ari and uh. In his book he quotes ROF Cook that the prophecy of Adricho was above that of mosh Ravino. So I don't want to get into rough Cook is how he understands Adam Maricio. Is this a historical person that we're reading stories about? Is this an archetype? Went to the new book and uh, you'll see uh. But uh, this but the idea that he says that uh, anyone's prophecy could be greater than Mosha said, it's very problematic the Rumbum seventh principle. This is his e car that no profit, either before Mosha or after Mosha would be greater than him. And that that means, for instance, that you can't you can't have Mohammed come and say, well, he's greater than Mosha or anything like that. There's a disagreement with the round bumb Some speak of the mashiach as being greater than Mosha, a being that's the round Boumbs principle. So what he says his follows is very short note. But ad Hariso is not included in history. He's before history. He's outside of what we regard as history. He's the showish of everyone. And there's a sites, there's a passage and it's a famous cabalistic idea called the Zierra Rico, the the special shine, as it were, of Adam Harisio. So he's sort of I don't want to get too cabalistic things amy Aspinistar, as the expression goes, I don't know about cabalistic stuff or what I do know, I really, I mean, I might read stuff, but I don't really know it. But there's some concept of Ada marishown as being like encompassing all of humanity, which again this is going to be part of the issue of you know, as an archetype and you know what is the what is the serpent? Is this on all these sorts of things that I'll deal with in the book, But that this I thought an interesting concept that history doesn't begin in prime the primeval, it begins later. So when the round Bump speaks the counter of Cook at least speaks about prophets. He's not referring to first man. Okay, just a small point. The next point, though, was a big one. And that's another letter to Evolving Air. And I can't remember why I wrote to Revolving This is the last the letters to Revolving Air. I think I wrote to him, if I recall, because has this idea which I don't buy at all, and it shows that the hard delim are really, uh quite fundamentalist, even more often than the hari Ding. In fact, soon we're going to see something by ravari Leabe or friend rabari Ela, which is pustle in the eyes of Revavin Air. And he's coming from the Haredi world. Revolvinair. When I say fundamentalist in the sense that to the point that he refuses to acknowledge that are reshown. Maybe even an apron I don't know could be influenced by his environment to come up with ideas this this. Uh I mentioned this example already because he was asked about a Barbonelle shocking idea that the only men are created with Soma came, not women because success men, because men's job is to understand matters intellectually, and that's not the job of women, and they don't have that ability. And uh so, I mean, so someone raised the point, which appears perfectly logical to me, that he was influenced here by Christian views about women, et cetera. I don't see why that's a problem. But Ravaviner won't say that. He says, no, no, we say we don't accept the Barbonelle, but we will never never say that he was influenced by non Jewish ideas. He came to this idea through his reading of Torah. It's too we just don't accept it and we have a different approach. I don't know why. I know, for a fact, for Salvechik, who didn't think very highly of the Barbonelle, I do think highly of him. But I know that for Slovezchich wouldn't have that opinion about the Barbonell. Maybe Baltosos, but not the Barbonell. But Sofavinier. So I wanted to give an example of something to Avavinir that what he would say about this. If you're going to say that everything derives from too sources. Then what about what I'm going to throw you now, what I'm going to show you out now and I'm going to show you inside. This really fits in with what we spoke about last week as well about the rambam and different truths for different people. What I'm going to show you now, no rabbi would ever mention from the pulpit, and for a good reason. And I don't think most rabbis, even in a sheer, would mention it because it's problematic and raises questions. I don't have the answers to the questions. We'll try to work through the answer possible approaches now, but first you need to be shocked a bit. But I'm going to show you and and then we're gonna hear a very interesting explanation from Herbie league. Let me get it handy. He even wrote it up in a I don't know if you could see it here. He wrote it up in Hebrew, in Hebrew. When he publishes his on he's already published a number of sorry, but when he publishes his on Torah, he can perhaps include it in. And look, I'm honored already that Mahaber Safer sorry of session really valuable works is listening to us. But let me play you something. You're gonna look at it, and then I'll read you my questioner. Okay, this is the tour. Actually I don't want you to see this and yet, because let me just tell you something about the tour. We have Jakobinasher is important medieval authority, the son of the great Rush. His father comes from Germany, comes to Spain. The arbitur Arbiturim, so we that's where abother the order of comes from. Or ohaian Kosha mishima your day, it comes out of the tour. He also a commentary on hummush. We're familiar with it because if you read the Mikroscadolos, you have the Balaturim Balladerium is great, you get the gamatrias and all sorts of interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: He points out to you, like Remnis Tora has this four parts to Taurium shot of the Drashia of the Rems. And so many people assumed for a long time that this is it that the great Polatarim, who are such important Altic works, that he spent all his time with gamatrias and things when he were in a hummish. But that's just what happened, is when he wrote a long commentary and the printers, however, they just they just pulled out those what he called these are like the spices. And so that's what everyone knows about the Gumatrias, and not just Camatria's the first the first letter and the last letter of words. He finds all the remas. But he also wrote a parish on Tomra and it was published in nineteenth century and recently reprinted in a nice goood edition. They call it a parash. So well, it's a regular commentary, just like all the great other great and shooning. He wrote a commentary on hush. So I want to read you something here, show you something. This is uh in the story with Leah. And we all know the story that Yakhov married Leah. Let me first show you the Pussek's commenting and let's see Eric this okay, Lhamad, sorry Lamad the page that I need, okay. So it says that uh, you know the story how he got uh. He was supposed to marry Rachel and he said he married Leah. Now in in puss Lamad Alif, it says that God saw that Leah was hated, and he opened up her womb and then look. In verse three two, it says Leah conceived Naboora's son that called his name Ruvin. What what does she say, camera kira ah ashm on ye, God has looked upon my affection and then uh, and now she said, my husband loved me. In the next puscle, it says that, uh, she conceived again and she had a son. And what does it say, he shamma sham. God has heard because I'm hated, He's there forgiving me another sum. So let's look at what the tour says. Here hirosham, you got to see my affliction, it says the ruven A mark regarding Ruvein, it says he saw and with shim own he heard. God heard her affliction with shim Ruven. He saw why lu At the beginning Kodu Shanoa moving before Ruven was born, hayamakaba Yakov would hit her, beat her omishlak, and once uh Ruven was born, Yakov stopped hitting her. And that's why the alan I'm that's uh, you know, it's when he was hitting her. That's what it means. God saw this and therefore gave her the child moving and he stopped. But he's still I would uh ma contra of environment. He still would speak badly to her, rebuke her, et cetera. And when Shimoh was born, nim Nagai stopped this. And that's why it says that by Shimoh that God heard, because he wasn't beating her anymore. He was only saying dead things. Torresto says God heard her affliction before if you remember before it says God saw my affliction. And now it says God heard that I'm hated. He heard because he heard Yakov saying all these terrible things to me. And then it's but he still wouldn't have relations with her until she had Okay, So how can you say, I don't mean to be disrespectful about Yakobanasha. How can you say this about Yakovino, that he would hit his wife. It's it's shocking, and I and I actually come straight to her by your leg. I like his shock, which I'll read you in a minute. But uh, this must be some mid rush. I can't imagine a rashow making this up to me. It just it has to be. And people were troubled by this because the first printing of the tour this was left out. If you read my book you get the details. They didn't include this because in the nineteenth century this is two shocking. But it's in all the manuscripts, and now it's in the new editions. I think this has to be some mid rushing. No one would come up with this on their own. It's interesting that a similar type of passage from the Rush is found in the standard bollator and commentary that the Pussi says, we show you the pusser a little different. Actually this goes the other direction. Who's doing the hitting? But look in in Pussa. This is part of Gimmel plus your baze, that says the man said, the woman you gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat. In Hebrew wits he means it doesn't say she gave me of the fruit of the tree. She gave me of the tree. So the Volatorium says that Hava took a branch of the tree and kept hitting me with it until I agreed to eat the fruit. Okay, this, by the way, though, was not unique to the Balturium it's found in numerous other passages. Well, what to do with this, uh message? I asked this through revolving here before reading you. What revolving here said, do I want to read you or value? Label ham in residence? So one of we have a number of telling me how in residents writes because I think your price surprising. Find it surprising also perhaps me. He begins very much to moving me old. This is very strange because we know we've seen it throughout Hazao, and we received from Rabu Saint Rosseau, and how great the others were, especially Yakov, and how could he do something like this? But he says, as follows Cocree differing the most open to busin my name, he says. Modern scholars have written about that. It was accepted in medieval times among the non Jews that the husband, in order to quote educate his wife just like he has to educate his son, just like the son. The father would occasionally hit a child. I mean, I think parents still do that unless the new parent king has conquered the world. So too, it was taught by many medievals in the Christian world that the husband has to do this to the wife as well. Not want me talkas not because of anger, just because that that's it's a toe ell it. And then he says, Oosa, you must be a Simona. He says that the the culture of the non Jews influenced the culture of the Jews. In other words, in that time where the Tour was living in Spain, it was thought that this is how you train a woman, not because you hate her or because you're punishing her. This to keep her in line. Viking is so therefore the Toro also did this. And he thought that it's possible to explain that Yakov occasionally would hit his wife Rockney Schanto, only I guess to rebuke her and give herrino. And this is and he thought, this is not a Mysa Chaffel, but this is my shoe book. And he sent me your by. They've sent me an article, a summary of a lecture in which you have various medieval uh scholars here you can. It's called spare the rod, spoil the bride, and it's all about how the Christian's loving Christian husband's duty is to maintain order. And a man may he quotes one of the medieval uh walkotes, a man may chastise his wife and Peter for her own correction, for she is of his household, et cetera, et cetera, and uh Srevalulpe says that this is an explanation with Ramafimer would not accept that this is in those days, this was thought to be acceptable and therefore for the tour it makes sense that he would give such a druss about. I mean, I don't I think this probably goes back to earlier. But let's say he did like a violet things he derived himself. Because this is in line with contemporary Moorish and all the passages on us all that speak about how terrible it is to hit a wife and all these things. That's not referring to like uh, to correct her from her bad actions. It's referring to you know, just bad people just lose their tempers and things like this. Not no different than a child, though, you know you could some people go crazy and they hit their child. They have to have the children taken away from them. Others do it carefully organized uh, you know, a punch when they feel what's needed. So and that's that's and especially in those days that the women were often viewed as like children because they had no education, et cetera. So uh yeah, that's her bale, it says. But it's still a shock. You tell this to people, you show this to people, they won't know what to make of this. How could even Ravie Thede gives the best possible explanation, I think you can. Revaviner didn't give this explanation. I asked Revviner's phones again. He I knew he couldn't come up with that sort of explanation, which is makes sense to me. I said, how can we explain to people in our day and age what the tour says? I say that these words that he says by yachtkov a nuncupl hime on le's money, who don't really work for contemporaries, the low Rock's money. No, are not just people today already, as I told you one hundred and fifty years ago, they they censored this out. Revolviniers stumped and the awful shap shift shout of their own. She says, I don't think we can explain it, and then he give in parentheses he gives I mean, he says in I mean, he says he was angry at her because she forced him to be married with her. I mean, what's he is He offers that like in parentheses that I think he's trying to say, like that's the best we could say, perhaps, and it doesn't that's not going to solve the problem. So he doesn't have an answer. And this is a sort of passage that I think it bears in mind what reb Yaka couple Schwartz said, and he said it about us, all about rashowing me leave aside the explanation of of Rabaria lab which I hadn't thought of. He sent it to me a week ago. A couple short that, a couple of shorts said that there are certain passages that we just say, well, we don't accept it. It's not ours. That's how I looked at it before I saw Rabario Lede's understanding. You know, Rabbinic literature was full of all sorts of things. We saw the passage about uh, the the man. The grandson says, I'm not gonna help you, grandpa, I'm not obligating keep it all they sa couple. Schwartz says, fine, but we don't accept that as a way to lead our life. What is he even saying by that? Because we have all the other passages say otherwise, it's not we're not rejecting it because it doesn't fit in with our morality. We have a total morality and this is sort of not in line with it. So it's like one of these out of the way, unusual passages. We don't have to answer for every passage. And I always think when you see passages like that, it's the same thing that it's uh, these are just they're outliers, they're unusual, and I don't feel that we need to explain every passage. Sometimes you can say we say, well, we don't accept that. That's not the way we look at it. Again, we can't be an appronistic. You know, this country in America, there's all this anacronism. Now they have to judge people we have two hundred years ago. So even Abraham Lincoln, all the great things he did, because he didn't have a twenty first century view of you know, of men and women, of whites and blacks, and all of a sudden he's canceled, he's out. You got to be realistic here and how generations have changed and people think differently. Nevertheless, there will be times when I think you'll say, I guess the tour said it. Of course we love the tour, we look up to him the tour, but not everything a tour says is all of a doros. And I think we can say that either by elibe, I think either of this. He doesn't think that's a day you're gonna do this in those day and day in that time though, that was what was done. And uh, we do believe that we've advanced, to be honest, it's not that we think it's just a different culture that in their days it was okay and today it's not okay. No, I think we all agree that it wasn't right then either, just like it wasn't right to have slaves in the eighteen hundreds. But those people had a different perspective, so you know, you can't really judge people. You know, they were convinced that this is how you do things. Mcavelly has a passage in which he says that the way to get people just to learn in school is to humiliate them, because they'll be so humiliated. And if anyone's heard stories about certain great roaching achieve including our favorite, the way in the forties and fifties when they would rebuke people. That was enough that learning today we would never do not do it. And I don't know if we wouldn't do it just because we think it wouldn't work for us. I think we think it's it doesn't you know, it's uh, it might work for some people, but the average person, it's just this isn't the way to I think we recognize that's not the way to educate. So I think that's the thing. Passages like I just saw with the tour and your passages in a round bum And I even spoke to a well known radio of every person basically listening to us. Now I would know the name of this rabbi, but I don't. I didn't ask them if I could say it's I don't want to say. But I gave him one of these sort of passages, not the tour, but another one. And he says, he says, what's the problem. You don't accept that? And I said, I I probe further. I said, so you think that our morality is different? He says, I have no problem saying that we have a different approach to this. I said, would you say as publicly? He said, no, I want to say it like that. He said it has to be phrased in a certain way. But he says, we approach matters differently, we view as incorrect. The Reshow name could have a different view. But here's an example of where you have these hard passages, these troubling passages, which in yeshivas we all struggle with them. I don't think it's such a struggle once you recognize that we're more let's say it, and if Cook sees this as part of the move to to the Messianic hero, that we're more for for example, we're more sensitive to certain matters of human rights, and you know, slavery. None of us can imagine having slaves or anything like that. But three years ago, who thought of that? This is us four years ago. That's just the way the world. As Aristotle said that some people are just born to slavery. So how is it that we today are more sensitive to things that others weren't in the past. We're not greater than that. Or if Cook develops the idea that as we get closer to the Messianic ear, or more and more holy sparks, or let go so that in certain areas we actually are moving in the direction of a of a, I guess more refined sense because when the Mahia comes, that's where we need to be. Doesn't mean we're better than the p on the past, but we're in this circumstance and we're standing on top of them. We're the midgets on top of the giants. Here the rough Cook explains very well, how is it that people in our day and age seem to have these more sensibility sensitive approaches that previous generations in, including non Jews, which is a problem because don't the generations the collides and seeing ice, or of Cook's explanation, which is very capitalistic that explains that if you don't adopt this explanation, then you have a problem, because how do you explain when you see passages, let's say in the Ahronyme, which strike you as just they don't work with your ethics, and you can't tell someone, well, your ethics are not pro ethics because your ethics are coming from Torah in many areas. And so I think for Cooks, well, wait, wait to the book Commared Sasha, and you'll see Rough Cooks is this point explicated. I see it's already nine twenty nine. Next week we're going to I'll introduce you to a couple new figures, including this individual who unfortunately well he was ninety eight years old but died of corona. Schmuwashkenazi tell you about one of the most interesting people lived in Jerusalem for many, many decades. And then we're going to finish the section of the book where this section we'll do that next class. This section of the book we called it Tiko Sofri. Then we move on to India. Name show name that basically all sorts of other stuff thrown together that we didn't have a good place to put them. We'll here our first question from a dove, answer from Kiam Dovid Halav. Great great figure. And okay, I see we we've gone long enough. Lots of good stuff coming. As I said, this is class thirty two. I'm estimating fifty five fifty classes. I say fifty classes, but who knows. I will get Robert sent me something really interesting. I'll get to that next class, Robert, and I'll tell you is tell the class exactly what I told you, and I think they'll agree with me and you. But we'll get to that next class. Let me take the questions. Yes, Susanna, tell me. This is what I said. Well, people often say tell me do ham or tell me it's this is a constructor. What it's saying is female students of the wise. It just so happens that today all these great figures, the women that we know who are right beginning to write starring, they all trained under men. Given another thirty years, and you could have like the like my daughter's generation and Nerabaikelman's daughter, they're training at schools. Well they'll they could be telling me do haamot because their teachers are the women. So that that's all it's not, that's all it is. Michael said. By the way, fully I to you in g pats it's still uh more men than women teaching. But okay, we're we're we're on the way, we're getting there. Okay. But I don't believe that it's is positive that should be old women. I believe that, But I also believe that men should be able to learn from women also, Okay, Yellen Michael says, Yellen Moore became or maybe always was an extreme leftist. Yes, he was an extreme leftist, as was l Dudd Chamir. Really and I said last week's Gula Cohen was not. She was also Uh Shamir wasn't so into the the the ideology, and in fact, forty six to forty eight he was out of the country. That was the point I made, unlike you're goun Uh. I don't look anyone who could say that if there's a war between the USSR and America, we're going to side with the USSR because we don't like these Western imperiodists who are controlling the land of Israel. That that is like so uh backwards and force. I don't look unlike you're good, which I mean, who doesn't admire bacon? But to look to these lacky people, I understood they were nationalists and everything, but they were they were Marxists, and uh they I don't see them at all to be admired, uh, other than the fact that they were dedicated to the land of Israel. But iPad says, there's really got the Labor government to discredit You're good. Transformed one of the greatest successes prison break of a British prison into a mental hospital. The same population in Pakistan India. But refugee status was not hereditary. We know that the Labor government, although at the end it seems that Ben Gurion came to a different viewpoint. He was able to tolerate Bacon, but at first they could not. They hated them, we know that. And would they would they acknowledge a massacre in order to make them look bad? Perhaps we you know, they in the house of the Haganah, they put uh what was it pottery or something? They put bombs underneath a boat to prevent it from sinking to like put it out of commission, so the British wouldn't take these refugees and send them to where cypress wherever they're send them to. And it's they put too much explosives and they killed like twohundred and fifty people. Uh hold on, is it the uh Patria affair? Is that what it is? Oh? Yeah, the Patria disaster? How many here? Let me show you if you haven't heard this, but they're the hot they had them had your gun done this? Then here you look up where the Patria disaster? This is nineteen forty they what did it say? You're two hundred sixty seven people the the Hakaak killed. Of course it was an accident. They didn't try to do it on purpose. But uh so, yeah, you know what everyone. There's the problems. I guess on all sides read a frime harsh. Michael says, Palestine betrayed for and there's awesome treatment of how the Arabs and their leaders, Jews and the leaders behaved during the forty eight forty nine war. Felix email me and I'll tell you. I'll connect you to Ramasu's weekly total letter, Or says, have I learned through the Lavavatur Tanya as opposed to the original medieval Tani Rabatti with commentaries? How old do you know it? No? I've just read sections of it, and I tried. It happens to be a very profound work and very complicated work.
Speaker 1: And I.
Speaker 2: There have been times when they've offered to teach to me, and I have to say that I just I'm not attached to it. I'm not attracted to it. But so no, I have not learned other than certain sections of it. I have not studied it. So I guess that means I'm lacking in like the essence of being a Jew because I haven't learned the Tan yet. So but okay, I can email me private agity that information from ya. Feel Goldhubbor Schmoel says to him, Report discussed how and when the Bodneckt started to ask the rebbies about the Pakashimia's thing. I'm assuming some Casidum always did. Yes, somehow about Assidum did always, because we see they were coming to the Bladonia and he was saying, what's going on here? Whoever heard of this thing? Perhaps they just wore the rebbies down. The Rebbi's acquiesced to such demands. I don't know him. Repport does not discuss it. I don't I don't know if they wore them down. I think many rebbies are happy to do that. It gives them a position that they have this power to I think this says that Ronolviner think that the Rama was not influenced by Aristotle. No, no, he would acknowledge the Rama's influenced by Aristotle. Rome tells you, he quotes Aristotle. He tells you that. But the issue with the Barbonelle, you're dealing with like a moral issue of how to you know, Torah, the place of a woman in tower, that sort of thing. That's I think that's least how I see the difference there. Ellen says, wife beating. So why was Leah distressed if it was the normal thing. Uh, well, it could be the normal thing, but I think he could still be distressed. Or maybe she assumed she's marying a nice Jewish boy and therefore he would treat her like the ironyans treated her. I don't know, I have a Zachary asks the notion that Leah was relieved with the hitting by God answering her prayers suggests that the hitting was bad. Yes, it does, but and the tour is not necessarily saying that the hitting is right. But Marie laid Is is well. I guess Rbaria the Aide's explanation is putting into the context. Maybe you could say, in the context it's understandable. But in that circumstance, she didn't need the rhino or something, so she won't likes Baragave's explanation. But is there any indication that Yakov would ever beat Ruccia. No, he would not beat Raa if not their affects poor Lenyakov as well as raven Era suggests, almost as Yakov was annoyed with Leah because he has to be married to her. Yes, there's no indicationation that, Uh, there isn't. But there is he does say. I mean, there's another passage where he says he suspected Lea of sexual immorality before their wedding.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think, Uh. The lady quotes in the book, mh these are strange things here. I think if you look in yes, looking, if you look in the tour in the tower a huff, Teslam and Alice, it says that Yakova suspected her, that that suspected Leya, that that she had engaged in uh, sexual immorality. Uh A very strange. I don't understand what's going on, Or says perhaps you should add, sir along the following lines. Maybe she was a relative child. How well was she then? That's an interesting point. At least from the tour we don't know these things. But from the tourist perspective, yes, he would regard her for leaving out madrashic things. Even I'll be up shot, what is she thirteen? Fourteen? That's true? Twelve even we can say that, as with hitting a child, what was meant was not out of anger, as Roman says, not in the rage, but a controlled measure way. Yes, And you know that's that's the explanation. You know, when we think of Leah as equal, like a romantic partner the same age, then it's more striking than if we think of it more a child. But he doesn't. Ravinair doesn't say that these are all good explanations. In the end, they might not be completely satisfactory, but these are good explanations. And some on emails me privately that when as a husband allowed it is why you. In my book Change and Immutable, I cite all the passages and I have to say, though, it's a little bit this distressing because all these people who claim, well, you know you can do it for free enough, we all know where that leads to. And uh, it's not, and the and the you know it's not. Maybe it was taken over from the Muslims. This is this is the Jewish way, at least not today. Burrow says times have changed, society has changed, and se Us has changed. Lea did not go to Basankov. Now, she didn't go to Basanciv. She didn't go to bas alcoh word based Beth Jacob or anything. Incidentally, what you say is it is funny because we get the pa the tour. He's trying to understand how Leya. Remember Leyo went out, not Lea, Dina went out to dressed inappropriately. I guess this today is not appropriate to either blaming the victim, and that led to the whole business with Shlim. And so the tour connects this to Laya that maybe just because it's unusual, and then there's someone privately mentions and maybe yacol indications or father's behavior that he did unconventional methods for review. We can give all sorts of explanations at the end of the day, though, if you ask me, I don't believe it. I don't believe Jacko Evert did this. What we're all trying to do, though, is explain the tour his understanding, what he could be thinking. These are all good explanations, says. Some people will be a believe that our sense will be a poll that we ate meat. You know, when they get this this fake meat, this lad grown meat, and then we don't have to eat meat. You're right? Uh? Then will people walk back and say that we are barbarians. We'll meet our rabbis. Don't tell us is it meat? Is it busser that can't be with Hallover or not? I know there's a big mahocus. Now, if you grow this beef in a lamb, what is it? I bet you it's gonna end up being a mahookus. Some in the end of the day, David says, it's interesting to note that thema Ram, the rede of the Taurus' father, writes that any husband who beats his wife should be excommunicated, and the court may even cut off his hand. If you look in yeah, you see lots of sources. One of the big ones is the rumbum. The rumbum says, if the woman doesn't do what she's told, the kofin until you can force her, even with a rod. So the wife on the spot there says, we never heard of suching. He's writing from you know the ash consequence, We never heard of such a thing beat your wife, And the commentary say, though the rumbum's not referring to most of the commentaries say he's referred to basset him because he uses the word koffine the robum. But there's an offer. Em Grossman has written about this, and Rock Shapiro has written about it. So if you don't mind being a little bit distressed that some of our great figures Flan Pallacchi and others didn't see it as a problem if there was good reason. I think today we realize this thing is good reason. Like what they say that if the husband also curses out the wife's parents, the wife's allowed to beat the husband, and if the wife person at the husband parents, husband beat the wife. But in the real world, we you know, to hit him in a real way. We know it's not how it works, it's not even and uh uh So I'm totally comfortable in saying that in earlier times people didn't see wife beating as the horror that we see it today. And therefore, when you see a rabbi, a woman comes that she wants to get a gett because the husbands beating her, and the rabbi says, well, go back, try to make show him val yous. So things don't work out in another year. I mean today, she goes back to kill her the next week. So I quote it in one of my blog posts the case of the mens arheim been Venisti in Turkey, where the husband was chasing the wife around with a knife, and they didn't think that basedon didn't think that was enough of a reason to order a divorce because the husband promises he'll be good and he won't do it again. I mean we we've learned I guess maybe through bad experience, and also we understand things I think differently. I don't. I don't see anything unquote orthodox about saying that someone asked me about the picture of Rabbi Felder. I said, I said, show you it now. The picture of right Felder will be in my blog post that comes up tomorrow. But since you ask and you're with me, and it's on my screen because I sent it in, I will show you it. Uh, and even how I'll explain to you what's what is being referred to here? We just got one more minute. I think maybe you'll appreciate this, all of you since since I was asked about it. Right now, let me show you something. I'm gonna show you a screen now of when I was in osh. I was in Philadelphia. So here is a picture of Can you see it to me and Rebbie I will. He was the love of show in Philadelphia. He was the Hallak consultant for the huff K. He made all the decisions the huff K. He unfortunately passed away. Wasn't that old seventy, I think, and he's a hobbre Safer. He's a pulpit rabbit and the Haber Safer. So now I want to show you something though, I mean this will be my Bob post that appears tomorrow. I want to show you a different picture. When the Aeshiva World News and also when the Keystone Kosher that's the Kastious Organization of Philadelphia wanted to use a picture by Felder the the Shiva World News after he passed away, and the other one after he's on their website. Now this is the picture they used. It's my picture, but I'm cut off. I'm on the well with you. I'm on the left. They cut me out. I get it. It's not a problem they but that's what I'm referring to the person who asked me that they use. This is now the picture used on the Internet of Rabbi Arounfelder, but yours, truly is has been deleted from the picture. Okay, just two more things here. Who's ever sending me private things? Mail it to my email and I'll send you all the contact information of Rebbie Goldhopper. You can hear good talks from our Goldhopper also on when it comes to America, I'll give a talk in Lakewood, let's say, in Yiddish, in Yu in English or another place in Hebrew. You can see some of them on on a serrogame. He is an expert on a thro game. You can see it on YouTube. Varses the Bala dosa kay name speaks of friction Giyakovleya because they're going on with her father's deception. Okay, Uh, she and love un engaged in a terrible check. You're you're right, that's it doesn't seen Lea went out just in appropriately. It says that the idea is that Dina did. So if you hold on a second, as long as you're here, wait one more minute, I'll read it exactly what he's says there with me for one more minute. You gotta finding papers with you know. It's in volatorium huff tests uh lamed Olof and it says as follows, I was looking at it earlier today, I was looking at the Derris Leo de Robinetz Tayomi. He has shocked his commentaries in the back. But this is what he says in lamed Olaf that what does it say that God saw that Leah was hated and opened up her womb, it says Yakhov. Yakov suspected that because she uh chief kiro low, because she gave herself willingly. I guess uh without even knowing him. I guess you could say to uh had sex with him just on the first date sort of thing, without even knowing him. So forth, If Kira, because remember Leya, I mean she was supposed to be rockall and then all of a sudden she just jumps in bed with him. So, he says, Yako suspected that she's a cup of woman? Is she she was? If kirats Malo so too, If Kira are so too, she must have been sexually immoral with others as well. Uh So the book at the adoris his commentary in the back of the edition. I'm reading it right now, is hold on? So, he says, uh his the Adoris's commentary. He says his follows. He he ties us into Leya, he says, I mean ties us into Dina. He at first he says, this is this is shocking. How could how could anyone say this? Hold you gotta find you. I'll read you what the Adora says? Adaris or Cook's father inlawer's a bit of stone. So this is an answer to Borrow's question problemise doesn't give you the It doesn't tell you here in the pages and the back here what uh parrot we are? What? Uh? What parrot? Is this? Haf tess Uh, I'm just gonna doesn't doesn't get it? Okay, it's on pages yes, okay, pages forty two and forty three, so uh yeah, Dearis says this is uh, this is strange. Where does he? Where did he get this thing? And then he develops the idea here that I don't want to spend too much time here, that I believe it's here? Yeah, where does he? Where can he say this about Leya? I think it's here. I can't see find and I'm just gonna leave it here. He he. He makes some connection between uh Dina Dina went out looking that way and calling uh attention to herself. So therefore he connects it to where did I believe it's here? Where does Dina get this from? She must have got it from her mother, and that's I don't see it here, but I think that's what it is. Okay, now, Barak, when I say jump into that I'm not saying. I'm saying that that's what that's what bollatur maybe that's the language I should use. But he says, she kira otzmolo what is he f kiratslo. It means that she just gave to him in more like she has garas like just like that. So what he's saying is it's like he's never met her, there's never any dealings. He wakes up and who's he's next to. Somebody's never been with the nor known. I mean she did the sister. I mean, it's like it's a shocking thing. And and the language that the bollaturm uses he kira is that's the implication just you know, jump into dead. That's that language. And that's uh now, of course, uh we know this was done and there's all sorts of reasons, but that's it's still a shocking thing for the vouchering uh to say the language he uses, Uh, let me just do two more minutes. We can go on. Yes, that's what I mean. Sure you like Dina's behavior, Okay, start talking to hum. He might quote it. I couldn't find it and I don't. But he he connects the two, because he begins by saying, how is this going? How could he say this about uh Leya. He's not saying Yakov is right, but where yall could get this idea and it could be uh from that? Yeah, well we know that you used to be permitted for husbands to rape. Wise, Yeah, I published the photo previously. Yes, I published my photo with Rebee Felder exactly. But I just saw that I was cut off. So Schmol says that Dina is called boss leaas Yaku. But I mean, the whole thing is I don't get I have to look at it again because why would he I mean again, that's it's disparaging Yakov to say that something happened years later because of Dina, that you see that, because then you're implying that Leia did have these bad characteristics, because if Dina adopted these characteristics, I thought we're supposed to say even according to that. I don't like these explanations that the Adaris it might be someone else I saw, because I think we're supposed to say that this is what Yakov flowed according to the tour. But Yakov is wrong. Lead Obviously Leia doesn't have these bad characteristics But if you're going to connect the Laya with Dina, then aren't you concluding that, really that there were some of these bad characteristics. Maybe that makes Yakov look a little better because it shows that his suspicions were not just out of thin air or a crazy thing. But still you're gonna say this about one of the ems about Leya. Either way you go, it's a problem because if you if you reflect poorly on Leya, you spare Yakov because you don't want to say that Yakov suspected such a terrible thing of ley On the other hand, if you make Yakov look good and you make lay look terrible, So it's a it's a my email is Shapiro M two at Scranton dot ed or. But you say it was it was a proper wedding. How could it be a proper wedding from the standpoint that we do it because you can't get married. Do you have to see someone before he get married? Precisely, when you make a wedding, you have to have kavana who you're gonna marry. He didn't have a Kovna Lea. Now grant this is before Matintara, so it's a different situation. But how could you say it's a proper wedding. He didn't have kavanas for marrying her, and how could she fool him? If you look in the verses, you see the word the word mishta is used. Uh, it's it's it's used also by Lot and the daughters. This word is used by by not missed the route. Shata is used with drinking of wine. So if you read carefully the psukia, you can see that he was presumably drunk, that that word shata was used, and he didn't know what was going on. But how could that be a proper way? Uh uh? Find chose afraid you can match up to asum. Granted we know all these things, but the I'm trying to explain why the tour says that Yakov thought he kira. He kira is a negative term to say about a woman. You don't say that about a woman if you want to respect her. And he's saying that, So it's it's a strange, strange passage. And the the acronym don't know what to make of this. I don't know what to make of it either. I'm just sharing it with you. I'm putting it out there. But I like your explanations, all of them. And uh, I was just trying to explain why the tour would use that word if kira, because Yakov wakes up and he sees his wife's sister in bed with him. What's incidentally, I'll just send with this one thing. I also think we're a little more sophisticated because in some areas I found a tuva where the cases as follows, someone walks in and a man and a woman is in bed with a man's with her husband's brother, literally in bed under the blanket, and the rabbi sock was They claimed that they were just doing it. It was cold outside and they and they and the rabbi thought that that was a good Uh. It's, you know, we don't break up a marriage because of that. It's you know, I don't know. Maybe maybe we're too cynical, but I don't. If I don't, I can't imagine a rabbi today, knowing what goes on in the world, would see something like that. And Uh, okay, Barth, you're right. They didn't have modern heating.
Speaker 1: This series was originally recorded in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one as part of an ongoing lecture series. To sign up to attend the lecture on Zoom, please visit toronmotion dot org. Please rate and review us in your favorite podcast app, or even better, tell a friend to give a podcast to listen