Speaker 1: You are listening to the IFH podcast Network. For more amazing filmmaking and screenwriting podcasts, just go to ifahpodcastnetwork dot com.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Bulletproof Screenwriting Podcast, Episode number four forty eight. Your dream doesn't have an expiration date, Take a deep breath and try again. Kat You Whitten broadcasting from a dark, windowless.
Speaker 1: Room in Hollywood when we really should be working on that next draft. It's the Bulletproof Screenwriting Podcast, showing you the craft and business of screenwriting while teaching you how to make your screenplay bulletproof.
Speaker 2: And here's your host, Alex Ferrari. Welcome, Welcome to another episode of the Bulletproof Screenwriting Podcast.
Speaker 3: I am your humble host Alex Ferrari.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Today's show is sponsored by Bulletproof Script Coverage.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Unlike other script coverage services, Bulletproof Script Coverage actually focuses on the kind of project you are in the goals of the project you are, so we actually break it down by three categories micro budget, indie film, market, and studio film. There's no reason to get coverage from a reader that's used to reading tempole movies when your movie is gonna be done for one hundred thousand dollars and we wanted to focus on that At Bulletproof Script Coverage, our readers have worked with Marvel Studios, CIA, w MEE, NBC, HBO, Disney, Scott Free, Warner Brothers, The Blacklist, and many many more. So if you need your screenplay or TV script covered by professional readers, head on over to covermiscreenplay dot Com. Enjoy today's episode with guest host Dave Bullis.
Speaker 3: My next guest is actually a forty five time award winning screenwriter and he's the founder of the popular Facebook group Screenwriters Who Could Actually write. We're gonna talk about a lot of this stuff, including templates, and we're gonna talk about his process of writing. We're gonna talk about Save the Cat and all that other good stuff. What does he think about all of it? Well, why don't we all give it a listen with my guest Mike Bierman. Hey, Mike, thanks off for coming on the podcast.
Speaker 5: Oh my pleasure. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Oh it's great to have you.
Speaker 4: Mike.
Speaker 3: You know, you're somebody that's been on my radar for a while. You're you're the host of the Screenwriters Who Can Actually write. Facebook group you're a forty five time award winning screenwriter, so you know, obviously you're somebody that I've wanted to talk to, and you know, just to get started, Mike, I wanted to ask you. You're a trial attorney, you know by day, and I wanted to ask you, when did you get bit by the screenwriting bug.
Speaker 4: I'm actually not.
Speaker 5: I don't. I hardly ever practice anymore because between managing my daughter and doing the group actually takes an enormous amount of time. Given the number of posts I do, which you've seen, I'm sure you can understand that I rarely practice law anymore. I'm licensed, I can practice, you know, do all the things I used to do. I just don't do it anymore because what happens is I end up with a bunch of court dates that I can't contryle scheduled out at infinitum, you know, out into the future, and cases can drag on for years. So rather than commit to those types of things, I'm doing something else. I try to avoid trial work, although I do still practice some entertainment law behind the scenes, including recently I've done some of that, but generally I don't practice that anymore. And the way I got started in screenwriting is my daughter, Erica Bierman. She's in Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Hunger Games, Mocking J one. Her scene was cut from Mocking J two it revealed too much too early, But she was also in Dumb and Dumber two. She was when she started. She was getting auditions, even very high level stuff. And I'd read the scripts and I'd say, Wow, you know, I just don't think this is written very well.
Speaker 4: I think I can do better. And so.
Speaker 5: I bought The Screenwriter's Bible by David Trotier, which is one of three or four books that I recommend everybody should have. I skimmed through it, I didn't read it. Wrote a nineteen page short script submitted to Page Awards, which is top three contests in the world, and took top twenty five scripts out of something like seven thousand scripts. So just self taught and started off with a bang.
Speaker 3: So the first screenwriting book that you ever bought was actually David Tardier's book. Is that was that correct?
Speaker 5: Yes? And it's a great book.
Speaker 4: It's a really good overview to.
Speaker 5: Screenwriting. There are other books that I like for different purposes, but that's a great first book. It's hard to imagine a better first book to start with, and Dave Trider is actually a member of the group, so I highly recommend that book. And while we're on books, I also highly recommend Linda Aronson's The Twenty first Century Screenplay, which is all about different structures non three acts, all types of different jumping time structures and very complex structures, and.
Speaker 4: It's a great book piece.
Speaker 5: You can actually figure out what structure would best suit your story idea. If you know what you're doing when you start writing, you can custom pick a structure that would be the best skeleton to flesh out for your story. So that's that's an incredible book, very very complicated. She's a very high level writer, she's from Oxford University. A very meaty book and it's one you can spend a lot of time with for formatting. I like Your Cut. Two is Showing by kJ Alex, which is a pen name. I know people who know who that is. I haven't bothered to ask, but that's the best book for formatting. It goes into the most depth any given situation. There are typically three to five professional acceptable ways you can choose from him to do it, and that is an essential book for screenwriters. Rick Toscan also Richard Toskin also wrote Playwriting Seminars two point zero, which is mostly a playwriting because he was dean of theater at USC for I think about thirty years, a very long time. But that book also crosses into screenwriting and it's an excellent book that breaks down the analysis of story, whether it's playwriting or screenwriting. And so are Those are four books that I highly recommend.
Speaker 3: It's funny, Mike, because the first book I ever read about screenwriting was also David Chardier's book about formatting. I went into a borders and remember them when they were still around, but I wentn't.
Speaker 5: I was sad when they went away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because now all that's left is Barnes and Nobles and maybe a few independent stores here and there. But you know, it's sad to see that that part of it go.
Speaker 5: You know. Yeah, the brick and mortar bookstores are deaf. They're they're really enjoyable because you can you can browse and there's a certain atmosphere and you can you can kill a few hours and find things you have no idea exist.
Speaker 4: The end of the internet.
Speaker 5: Internet squad, but there's a certain allure to a brick and mortar bookstore, and hopefully those will come back. I should have mentioned also that Rick Toscan that I just spoke of, who I think recently got a Lifetime Achievment award from the I guess National Damone of the Arts. He's actually in the screenwriting group as well, So we have some really high end gurus in there, lots of pros. Well over one hundred produced films, films you've heard of written by members of the group. So I thought i'd.
Speaker 3: Mentioned that, Yeah, the there are some you know, members of the group that i've you know, I've seen their hosts about, you know, different things that they've they've written that have you know, been produced. For instance, I know somebody just wrote a the the the screenplay for the latest Steven Sagal movie, and I remember he was in the group and I was talking to him briefly. I think that's is that Charles or Chuck I think his.
Speaker 5: Name is Chuck Meyer this End of the End, the End of the Gun, and he has I think he actually has another film coming out on that same deal with the same producer, not starring Steven Stagall. I know more about it, but I can't. I can't say at this point got infos under wraps. But what I what I just told you is fine. He does have another film under that deal, and I think he's either optioning or about to fell another script imminently. So we have a lot of activity. I have. I have two feature films in production myself right now.
Speaker 4: So you know, there are a.
Speaker 5: Lot of There are a lot of people in the group with a lot of things going on, some really great stuff.
Speaker 3: So that's why the name fits so well. Screwrits who can actually write it, not just not just talk about theory right.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, you know there's a certain haughtiness and snottiness to it. I'm the first to admit it, and I actually did it on purpose because in reviewing screenwriting groups, there's one group in particular it's just enormous. I won't name it, but it has nearly twenty thousand members, and the type of questions asked in that group are just mind boggling.
Speaker 4: The lack of.
Speaker 5: Thought going into you know, posting a question with your name on it before you put it up, it's just incredible. I think when I started the group, in my in my group description, I named it kind of sarcastically.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after a word from our sponsor, and now back to the show.
Speaker 5: Because I was leaving the other group just in disgust and wanted to try and get people who were, if not more experienced, a little bit more thoughtful about what they were writing and what they were saying, a little more educated people in the in the craft.
Speaker 4: And so I think I posted, you.
Speaker 5: Know, screenwriting screenwriting forum, hopefully without questions like is water wet?
Speaker 4: And is it okay to kill my character?
Speaker 5: So the whole thing kind of started out as a sarcastic announcement of a departure from kind of like the Great Unwashed, with people saying, you know, I'm a screenwriter because they you know, wrote something on a nap and wants to try to attract people, even beginners, but people who are more serious about learning the craft, who are looking at it as a profession rather than as a hobby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's you know, I've joined other groups in the past as well, and a lot some of these questions. There was way too many questions about formatting, and for instance, there was actually a group that meant physically here in Philadelphia and these the beginners who would showup, woul always ask about formatting.
Speaker 5: And when I said the book, buy a book, read a script, buy a book, it's it's just not that. It's not that tough. And unfortunately, sorry to cut you off there, but you know, unfortunately that is all too common in a lot of screenwriting groups.
Speaker 4: And one of the rules.
Speaker 5: I have a rules driven group for this purpose to try and keep the group on focus. And you know, no political posts, and there are a bunch of other a bunch of other rules, but you know, one of the one of the basic tenets of the group is search the group itself before you ask a question, because there've been in people been in there for over a year, answering in depth almost anything you can think of.
Speaker 4: And also.
Speaker 5: Search the internet before you ask a simple formatting question. Buy a book. It's just not that tough. And so all you're going to do by by asking that type of question in an open form is attract ridicule, show you have no idea what you're doing, and get a bunch of troll responses, so you actually never get the right answer because even the people giving you the right answer will be deluded by all the trolls. So and that's very common as you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, absolutely. You know, when when people would ask that in the group, in the physical group, I'd always say to the other person that was running it with me, I'd say, why don't we take these people, put them in their own group and we can go over like formatting, and then the other half of the group, you know, we'll work on actual you know, writing and get into the structures and you and you know, we kept going back and forth on this, and I said, because every meeting, we're sacrificing our strongest for our weakest. And what I mean by that is.
Speaker 5: You know, we'll know exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just just you know, spending all this time on formatting when you either buy fade in or final draft the writer's duet or whatever, and it takes care of their all for you or you know, like you said.
Speaker 5: No, there's a myth, a little bit of a misconception. It takes it takes care of the Uh. There's a difference between formatting and element placement on the page. And this is a common uh misunderstanding or or people misstate this. The screenwriting software. There isn't any screenwriting software that actually formats per se for you. What the screenwriting software does is it actually puts the elements in place on the page so that you don't have to.
Speaker 4: Work in word counting spaces.
Speaker 5: For example, Uh, you know, if you're going to do a parenthetical under dialogue, the screenwriting software will put the position the cursor in the right place for you know, a play format or screenwriting format for character or shot or transition or dialogue, action note, special, whatever it is that you're trying to do, it'll actually sit up on the page for you with the right number of preceding, following and intervening carriage space is in intervening carriage returns. But what it actually doesn't do is format And so that's one of the things that happens in beginning groups a lot. And I've seen it. I've seen professional scripts where people actually said when I was script doctoring or rewriting a script, I'd say, hey, you know this is going to be a lot.
Speaker 4: More work than you thought. Well, why is that is the story? Dad?
Speaker 5: Well, the story's okay, the problem is the formatting. Everything's off. Well, that's impossible. I used final draft. Well that's a very naive comment. That shows how many screenwriting formatting errors they're going to be because the software doesn't actually format, it just puts things in the right place. The formatting is the understanding of how to how to direct the camera without using shot direction, for example in the specscript, and how to properly write down the entire skeleton of a visual film in writing using as few words as possible, leaving as much white space on the on the page as possible. And screenwriting software is just the beginning. It's kind of like saying I have a Ferrari, so now I'm going to be a you know, a champion driver. There's an enormous difference between having the car and being able to drive it.
Speaker 4: Does that kind of make sense?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does well because you actually touched upon what I was gonna was. Actually I was going to say, was there were people who had Microsoft Word open and they were using like four tabs for a character, three tabs of this. That is yeah, because they would turn in a script and I would look at this and I'd go, it's all off, and I said, what did you write this in? And and that's why I'm saying, you know, the screen because they would always say, well, Dave you know, how do we write this blah blah blah. I'd say, no, no, you just use you know, drive this soft. That's what I mean about, you know, buying final draft or whatever and.
Speaker 5: The positions the elements correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that and then the other.
Speaker 5: The other thing beginners don't understand is, you know, they'll go out and pick Helvetica or you know, I don't even know the names of all the fonts, the crazy fonts, swirls and you know, HP Lovecraft fonts, And Okay, that's great, h if you're if you're writing a free verse poem or something. But screenwriting is designed for every page to be one minute of screen time. Now, obviously, depending on action, uh, depending on on dialogue, the level of vocabulary, the the way the script's written, each page is going to vary. Obviously, you have an enormous amount of action, tightly written action a page to go conceivably several minutes. But if you you know, okay that if you write there's a two mile car chase down the dirt road, that's not gonna happen in one minute, Okay, so it the page length for filming can vary. But the whole idea is on average, one page is one minute of film. Now, the only way you can do that, if you think about it, is if you have a particular font style, which is called a fixed pitch font. And the standard for that is Courier, which is an old news font. It's I find it fairly ugly font. But they've developed all kinds of variant Courier fonts. There's you know, Courier Final Draft. They've patented their own Courier New Courier Dark, which is one I really like, and there there are a bunch of other variants of Courier. And and what it comes down to is, no matter what character you type, whether it's a special character, dollar sign, hashtag or pound sign, exclamation point, period, comma, capital, p small acts, it doesn't matter whatever character you type, they all take up exactly the same amount of space on the page. And that's why you have to use a fixed pitch font. And some people will try to cheat. Let's say you're a novelist and you're overwriting your script and you want to get it down from one hundred and sixty five pages to one hundred and twenty where somebody might actually read it, and you can't figure out any way to do it, because you're overwriting everything.
Speaker 4: You're too green to rewrite your script properly.
Speaker 5: So what you do is you get the bite of THEA to go in and change the font to some font other than final draft. Go ahead and add a couple of lines one top, one bottom, cheat the margins left and right, and all of a sudden, your page count drops down to one hundred and thirty pages and you're within striking.
Speaker 4: Distance of your goal.
Speaker 5: The problem is, any professional looking at a single page of your script will immediately throw in the trash. H.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know again that's something that also seen two, especially on the cover page, like they'll use like a different font for the title and uh, you know, like like in all those specialized fonts and.
Speaker 5: Some artwork, artworks thrown down the margins and yeah, in in spec scripts. You know.
Speaker 4: I have actually have a book coming out.
Speaker 5: Being published by dose Blant Publishing, and it's, uh, it's gonna be called It's it's coming out fairly shortly. I'm essentially finished with the manuscript, the body of it. I'm working on the uh some of the pictures, clearing copyrights things like that, but the uh, the book's going to be called Secrets of Screenwriting, with the subtitle of uh Collected Essays. I don't want anyone to think that this is like any of the other screenwriting books. It really isn't. It's a collection of my long essay posts from the group over the last year.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after a word from our sponsor, and now back to the show.
Speaker 5: And it's kind of a rambling, disordered.
Speaker 4: Volume full of all.
Speaker 5: Kinds of prolls of wisdom that just occurred to me from a post or someone's comment or something.
Speaker 4: I would pull out.
Speaker 5: My phone and write these gigantic, sometimes five and six page posts. They probably have a mental problem. I don't know why I do it, but I do. And a lot of people asked me to collect those, or they wanted me to archive them somehow so they could reference them. Several pros have have used my rewriting post, which is very popular.
Speaker 4: It's about six pages long.
Speaker 5: They one pro actually printed it out and glued it onto the wall above his computer messaged me to tell me how useful it was. And I have a copyright post. People tend to like screencraft. Publish part of that copyright post, and I'm going to publish the whole thing in the book with Screencraft's permission.
Speaker 4: They've already given me permission to republish the whole but.
Speaker 5: That that should be useful. I've kind of lost track of where I was. But there's there's a plug for the book.
Speaker 3: Do you know when that book's coming out?
Speaker 5: Like, I'm with their contract to get it out in the next Uh. I think I've got sixty days or so to get the manuscript and that's not a problem because the manuscript's essentially finished and then the publisher has to publish it within six months. So, and we're shooting for Barnes and Noble, you know, the brick and mortar stores. I guess there'll probably be a hard hard copy hardcover version and the you know, standard.
Speaker 4: Paperback type version.
Speaker 5: We suspect it'll be oversized, probably a fight by eight or five y nine. It is probably gonna be out two hundred and sixty pages, and it won't be like any other It won't be like Trottier's Guide or anything like that. That'll be fully index where you can go in and anthy you know, gee, I have this particular question.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna look this is this is more of.
Speaker 5: Different subjects, the philosophies behind different ways of writing story, things like that. It's it's more s a forum rather than subject driven like a lot of books, so it'll be very different. It's more of the kind of the book you sit down in a in a coffee shop and and read it to get It's kind of like a mixture of opinion and method and things like that.
Speaker 4: So it'll be very different.
Speaker 3: Oh, very cool, because you know, I have a ton of screenwriting books and this does sound very different than than all the rest that I have. Obviously, because this is a podcast, you can't see it, but next to me is is my library of screenwriting books.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that sound you know, that's just smart.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is a is a very estheteric craft. It's a very closed industry. A lot of the really good screenwriters either don't have the time to help or don't want to help. And I've actually seen sabotage in groups I've seen. I won't name any of them, but I've seen professional or advanced writers who actually get paid all the time to write giving wrong answers on purpose to spoil off either someone they don't like or somebody that you know, they just decided to screw with And of course that doesn't help anybody except the pro who's keeping down the competition. So opinions are going to vary in screenwriting books, and I have my own very strong opinions. My book is going to be full of them. It's going to be full of cursing. It's not edited. It will be edited, but the language won't be edited out. Sometimes if I'm angry about something, you know, I'll flavor the post with a sprinkling of cursing, because that's just how it came out. To keep the book genuine, and it's the posts are actually going in as the original essays. They're not being edited down to make it politically correct or anything like that. So the book will offend some, it will amuse some, and it should help everyone that reads it.
Speaker 3: And that's fantastic. You know, sometimes we need it. We need a little tough love, Mike.
Speaker 5: And that's and that's what the book is. I'll yell at you, I'll prop you up, I'll beat you down. Then i'll i'll lift you up again, and and i'll i'll inspire you to write better and to keep going. And then I'll i'll beat on you a while for doing something a certain way that's that's not a very effective or good or or or smart way, and then I'll build.
Speaker 4: You up again.
Speaker 5: So it's it's it's kind of a tough ride, but enough people approached me to write it and said, geez, you need to put all these things in a book. These are terrific that a publisher actually approached me to publish the book. So, you know, situation, Yeah.
Speaker 3: It is an amazing situation. And you know, sometimes we need that tough love, you know, just a funny anecdote, Mike, I think that you'll really enjoy, you know. I one time had a beginner approached me with a script and they came into one of our group, but one of my groups I was running, and their script had several pages within within the in the script with design drawings on them of what they were talking about inside the script.
Speaker 5: It's not good and it doesn't you know, it's it doesn't matter if they're Picasso, and it doesn't matter if they're Hemingway. Those things are not a good combination for a spec script. If you're if you were hired by somebody at dream Works who's absolutely visually driven and you've already got the job, and they see you doodle in the margins and say, jeez, what a great drawing. I short like to see some of those in your script. By all means stores some artwork in the script, But in a regular SPECS script you don't do that. You don't put art work in. Every rule is made to be broken. One of my most award winning scripts, it doesn't have artwork in it per se, but I do some interesting things with a couple of different fonts that are cut in as JPEGs. One of the languages that the script is written in is Galileean Aramaic, which was the language spoken in the early Middle East which ended not too long after Jesus' time. That's one of seven languages in the script. Well, there's no font for that, so I actually had to cut JPEGs into the script to put in the original Galilean Aramic, which actually mattered because at one point the language actually appears on the screen.
Speaker 4: As a special effect.
Speaker 5: So to save producers the four months it took me to get four or five words, let me see, we have a four words to four months to get translated by one of the world's experts in this language, so to say, producers to time, if anyone picked up the script, I went ahead and had the translation already done and put in a script. So you know, rules are made to be broken, but you need to learn the rules and get good so you can decide when you need to break them. I've never put our work, per say, in a script, and I'm up to I don't know, thirteen features, with eight solely written and then others co written with best selling authors and people like that. And I had one person that wanted to put artwork in the script, and had a very frank talk with him, and I said, look, you came to me, you want me to write this with you. I like the idea, I like the story. If you insist on putting artwork in the script, you're going to write it along. And that was it.
Speaker 4: And no artwork.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's something I want to get into.
Speaker 4: Mike.
Speaker 3: Is you your screenwriting? You know your methods and you know so when you were starting out, you know, you had David Tardier's book and you obviously you're reading, you know, you say to skin through that, and you were writing down ideas, and so I wanted to ask, did you ever adhere to any sort of like method, you know, whether it be three acts, five acts, any of that when you were writing, or did you just simply just sort of had you had a starting point and you just.
Speaker 5: Went, okay, so three acts and basically didn't read the book, just looked at the book for formatting, hadn't read any any professional script that you like, of any movie that I liked. Just had seen a bunch of scripts that I didn't think were written well, had been sent to my daughter. There were some that were written well. They were you know by all means that someone researches this. Oh she auditioned for that. Mike said, the script is crap. Now, some of some of the scripts were crap. A lot of them were just mediocre. So, and I'm unusual in that I don't outline, and most writers do outline. There are just a few, I would say, maybe less than four percent. Probably closer to two percent don't outline. I don't know if I want to call it a gift or if it's a curse. Most writers will actually execute a complete, fleshed out outline that maybe thirty forty to fifty sixty pages before they write the screenplay and they'll actually write it from the outline. I have never done that, and I write natively. But I also have developed my own trademark writing method that a lot of even pros have commented publicly. They said that it's helped them a lot, and a number of them are adopting. And I call it BAM, which is the Beerman asynchronous method. And with BAM, what I do is I write the almost always write the end first, and sometimes I write the beginning first, but it's always either the beginning or the end, and then I wrote write the other.
Speaker 3: We'll be right.
Speaker 2: Back after a word from our sponsor, and now back to the show.
Speaker 4: End of it, whether it's the beginning or the end.
Speaker 5: So I always start with the beginning and end when I start a script, and frequently the very first thing that I will do is write the end and write fade out the end, and it'll be the first scene I write.
Speaker 4: That's very common for me.
Speaker 5: Then I'll go back and write the beginning, and then typically what I do is I will tie scenes into the beginning and end scene the first and last by definition, and I will work backward from the outside end, which sounds strange until you try and see what it does. I will tie you know, I might write the end, then I'll write the beginning. Then i'll write the second scene of the screenplay. Then i'll go write three scenes back from the end. I'll jump back and write, you know, the third scene at the beginning. And then I'll know that I need a particular second act scene or a break, and I'll go in and i'll write that, and I'll just float it in the middle of final draft a writer duet, which is what I use now.
Speaker 4: I'll just float it.
Speaker 5: In there and I will then write whatever scene occurs to me that I'm inspired to write that I know needs to be written at the time, and I fit them all together like a jigsaw puzzle, and I attach them to the anchors, which are both ends, and as I develop scenes in the middle, I'll when I know I have two scenes, sorry is a long answer. When I know I have two scenes that are going to stick together, I won't put any asterisks between them. I use like three asterisks when i'm floating a scene, and I'll pull the asterisks out when I tie two scenes together and I know that nothing will go between them scenes, and then they may still be floating somewhere in the in the second or third act, somewhere in the middle of the script, and I just build the whole script that way. When I write the last scene, it's it's almost always a second act scene somewhere in the middle of the script, and I write it, rewrite that scene, and I'm done, because I also rewrite as I go, so then the whole thing only needs to be skimmed for continuity and for proofing errors. That method is a method that I developed on my own and gave a name to because people wanted to know how it was writing. A lot of people who said it sounds crazy tried it and they absolutely love it. What it does is it prevents writer's block. If you're writing from the beginning of a script, scene by scene, and you know where you're going, you may have a bunch of things you already know you want to write, but you can't link it up because you get stuck earlier on on. With my method, you never get stuck if you if you don't know what you're gonna do next for a second, you just jump ahead and write the next thing you know you're going to put in, even though I may not be connected to what you just wrote.
Speaker 4: Does that make sense?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes sense.
Speaker 5: But and so I've had I've had several protos, you know, one guy eighteen produced movies, another guy twenty produced movies, another guy six produced movies. They've actually all used it come back and said, my god, this this method is wonderful. I don't know, I don't know why. I haven't, you know, used this before. I never thought of it. I've never seen it before. David Silverman, who is the creator of the Wild Thornberrys, actually just recommended and endorsed this method and said it was genius. So that's kind of nice that. The interesting thing is, I haven't had anybody given an honest try after understanding the method which I described in my in my upcoming book. I haven't had anybody give it an honest try and say that it didn't work for them.
Speaker 4: I've had a number of.
Speaker 5: People who've refused to try it, you know, geez, that's scary.
Speaker 4: I can't imagine it.
Speaker 5: But I've never had anybody who actually sat down and gave it a good try who didn't benefit from it. So and that just developed again from learning to write my own way. I didn't go to film school I didn't go to. I wasn't a film major. I wasn't a screenwriting major. I don't have an MFA in screenwriting. I just did it on my own, and it works for me, it works for a lot of other people, and interestingly, it works for people who outline and for people who don't outline, because all of the writers that I just mentioned, with the twenty and eighteen and six movies and the Thornberry's creater, they all outline extensively. One of them is just an absolutely encyclopedic outliner and the math that still worked for him. So just kind of made sense to me, and I started writing that way.
Speaker 3: You know, you mentioned, you know, beating writer's block. You know, I think that is. You know, that's something that I've dealt with too, Mike Is. At first I thought it was writer's block, and I realized, you know, what I think it was was decision fatigue. And what I mean by that is, you know, you start your screenplay from the beginning, so here we are, you know, Act one, page one, and you know, we start to sort of write this.
Speaker 5: The dangerous and deadly scary blank white page.
Speaker 3: Fade in interior. But but you know it was a.
Speaker 5: Dark and stormy night.
Speaker 4: Oh damn, I'm stuck.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like that movie Throw Mama from the Train and Billy Christal keeps writing that same sentence and you can't figure out what to go next, and and so you know, and it's basically, you know, a decision fatigue where you realize, oh my god, this screenplay could go in like ten thousand directions. And there was actually a book I was reading about this, uh, the same sort of like you know, principle of you know, decision fatigue and you know, what're you know, obviously it could go in ten thousand different directions. And his argument was, if you actually, you know, go back to the theme and the and the the whole you know, the main tension and everything of your screenplay, there really probably isn't ten thousand ways it could go. Really, it has to all tie in together. So that way, you know, see one, you know we're not you know, we're on an island, and then seeing two, you know, all these other different things are happening that have never been established. If you know, if you get what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 6: I do, and what the the decision fatigue problem that that you've labeled and that you've designated is a very common problem.
Speaker 4: And uh, the band mess said what I just said.
Speaker 5: You can see immediately how that prevents it from happening. If you know the end, you know where you're going. So, by definition, everything scene you write is going to do one of three things. It's either going to develop character, or it gets thrown out, or it's going to advance the plot, or it gets thrown out or the holy grail of a scene is that it develops character, reveals character, deepens character, and advances the plot. That's what you should name for in every single scene. If you write a scene that doesn't do any of those things, throw it out your you know, kill your baby, because it's not getting you to where you need to be. And because budgets are determined by page count, and whether your screenplay is picked up and produced or not may very well depend on what your page count is. If you can tell story A in ninety pages, or you can tell story A in one hundred and ten, and you can't get it down from one hundred and ten, story A ninety pages is much more likely to get made than one ten. Because line producers and people who determine how much a movie's gonna cost to make. They will assign, depending on genre, style, a bunch setting, you know, costume requirements, things like that, locations, they'll figure out special effects CGI.
Speaker 4: Goes on and on. They'll figure out a per cost page on average of the screenplay.
Speaker 5: They'll multiply that out and they'll say, Okay, your spring to make this movie is going to cost us one hundred and ten times whatever that page cost is. That's gonnad up being a lot higher than what ninety times whatever the page cost is, right, Yeah, So if you can write the same story, tell the same story more efficiently in fewer pages, even if nothing changes.
Speaker 4: I've rewritten scripts for people.
Speaker 5: I did a reway for creative Artists and untitled Entertainment Package project, and the original script was I think, oh, I've been looked at this in a long time.
Speaker 4: Was a couple of years ago. The original script.
Speaker 5: Was somewhere around It was one hundred and twelve pages, and they wanted it to be one hundred pages before it went to budgeting. They wanted one hundred. They did one hundred and twelve. So first thing, one of the first things I was asked to do was reduce the page count. So when I rewrote the script, not only did I I told them I said I think I can hit one hundred pages. They said that would be great, that's what we had in mind. We'd love that. So I actually hit ninety nine and a half pages, which is one hundred pages. Okay, you know ninety nine go to the one hundredth page halfway down. So I hit the goal. But not only did I do that, I filled five major plot holes and I added a whole new story.
Speaker 2: Arc we'll be right back after a word from our sponsor and now back to the show.
Speaker 5: So I was able to make the story more complex, more complete, get rid of problems, and still knock twelve pages out of the out of the thing. And so that's a successful rewrite, and they were. They were very happy with it. So I kind of forgot how we got here. But it is again why you have a goal post in mind. You don't wander off and get lost. That's the how I found I found my way again. If you know the end, everything that you write is going to be advancing your characters, your plot, moving all of the things you've created toward that end. If you know where you're going. You don't stumble and get lost. You always move toward that goal tost There are going to be a lot of choices on the way that you're going to have to make, but those choices are now narrowed.
Speaker 4: And focused by the fact that you know where you're going.
Speaker 5: A lot of people who overwrite I don't have an ending in mind, and they'll wander this way and that way, and they'll end up having, you know, five or eight or ten scenes that don't contribute to where they eventually end up.
Speaker 4: And you know, it happens all the time.
Speaker 5: I read somebody wrote a comment yesterday, Gee, I just finished my screenplay. I hate it. I hate my own screenplay. It's not what I set out to write. I don't know how I got here. I don't like the ending, I don't like the story, and it's not what I intended. So now I've got to do a page one rewrite. That's because you didn't know where you were going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know one piece of advice you're years ago that I heard from the writer of Fight Club, Chuck Paul Knook.
Speaker 4: He actually terrific writer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's phenomenal. He gave me the advice that he's like, right, right, your beginning. He goes, literally he goes, right, you know, whatever opening, what do you want to do? And then he says, go to the go to your last page, whatever that might be. And he goes, just write the end. And he said, you're gonna do is because he's going to feel comple if you do it this way. He said, then what you're gonna write? So that way? Again, like you just said, it was a goal, and that's what he also, you know, told me a couple of years ago, was it it's a goal and that way you know at least you know what you're going towards, and that way you correct.
Speaker 5: So he has a similar uh that I didn't know he said that, but he has a similar philosophy to to what I do. And it sounds like he starts off writing the same way. And by the way, you should note I do that whether my screenplay is linear or nonlinear. Uh, it doesn't matter. I write the screenplay nonlinearly, even if it's going to be a linear form.
Speaker 4: So let's say it's a straight three act you know.
Speaker 5: First the second act break, you know, page twenty three, what you know, if it's going to be a straight three act screenplay and it has a linear plot, without flashbacks, without jumping around, nothing fancy, just a simple straight story. And that could be anything from a family film to a military film. You know, you can do anything that way. The subject matter doesn't matter, it's just how you choose to write it. Time wise, you can use my form, and I do use the form to write linear screenplays. I just don't write them in order. I write the whole screenplay out of order, but when you end up reading the screenplay, it's in order. And it also works for nonlinear methods. If you're writing something like fight clubs nonlinear. If you're writing something that jumps around, and you have an unreliable narrator and he may or may not be crazy, and he may may not be who you even think he is, you can still use that method and jump all over the place and write the screenplay that's going to be nonlinear, and write it in a nonlinear fashion, which sounds very chaotic but actually makes sense when you're doing it.
Speaker 4: So, as I always say, if.
Speaker 5: You know where you're going, and you know where you're coming from, a nice to find world that you're working with in you're not going to start writing, you know, crazy stuff about Mars in your story about you know, the kids starting school in new school district because the parents got divorced. You know, all of a sudden, you're writing about Martians on Mars, right, and you're having a space shootout because you had no idea where you were going with your screenplay. And I've actually came crazy stuff like that.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you have too.
Speaker 5: People end up with like three different stories in one screenplay. They get horribly lost, and then they get right or back to writer's block. Oh you know, I don't want to write next. Yeah, because you jacked the whole thing up. You got yourself in a jackpot. You've written yourself into a corner and nobody would know what to write next because none of it makes any sense. So you know, learn and writing method and stick to it. Like I said, my method works for me. It's worked for everyone I know that's trying to who's gotten back to me on it.
Speaker 4: But you you need to learn to write in.
Speaker 5: A consistent method that works for you however you write and stick to that, develop that method and make.
Speaker 4: It work for you.
Speaker 5: You know, Chuck has his own method that's apparently similar to mine, and I think that's a very smart method. It's funny. I admire that writer. Maybe that's why I like him so much, because we write in a similar convention. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, great mindstick, I like.
Speaker 5: Right, So well that's what that's what they say.
Speaker 3: You know, because you know, just to continue with what you were just saying about, you know, no no writer could fix, you know, a screenplay that has all those problems because you know, there's no goal, there's no sort of central narrative to it. You know. I remember when I read a screenplay years ago and it was this this guy had this idea for the this like anthology, i'm sorry, a horror movie trilogy, and I read the first part of it, the first screenplay. I read all one hundred and some odd pages, and literally it was about these two vamp hires who live in like this old mansion or something has all these catacombs underneath it, and it's just about like it's almost like.
Speaker 5: We haven't seen that one before.
Speaker 3: And it's just all these different people, like groups of people go in there and they're getting killed. There's no there's no goal, there's nothing.
Speaker 5: Literally, there's no story exactly. And unfortunately, I'm hearing a lot of reports of this from screenplay contest screenwriting contest judges that they're seeing a lot of screenplays that have essentially no purpose. There's no story being told. You know, Okay, I get it. It's slash or genre, and we're going to see a whole bunch of blood, a whole bunch of people killed, and then all of a sudden we decide that's enough and we stop the movie. But it never tells a story. That's that's not uh, that's not screenwriting. That's just dribbling out garbage. And this is what happens when you have an unfocused person writing that doesn't know why they're writing or where they're going. You end up with something like that. You know, a lot of writer's block. Also, jumping quickly back to that as it ties in here, is if you have problems in your in your opening, in your first act, and the first act is unfocused, not set upright, not structured right, you really don't have any idea why you're writing. And that'll be very apparent to the reader very quickly. By the way, you don't know why you're sitting down and writing to tell this story that is going to cause you massive writer's block, because if the first act is poorly structured and poorly set up everything that comes after. It's like Domino's, It's like Jenga or Jackstraws or any of these things. If you if you've set the foundation badly, there's no way the house will stand. I even have a post written on this, so right about making an analogy to you know, building a house. You know, don't build a a house on sand, Okay, building on rock. I have a whole essay on this, and that's it's all about first act structure and knowing what you're doing in the first act because that sets up the entire story, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really does. Like they say, if you have the second or third act problems, you have first act problems.
Speaker 5: Really correct, and again, most of those problems can be solved by knowing the beginning and the ending right when you start. But David Silverman I just mentioned that while Thornberry's creator wrote a it was very gracious and he wrote a recommendation for my book that'll be on the you know, fronting.
Speaker 4: Side or back cover.
Speaker 5: I don't know where it's going there are a bunch of recommendations to fit. And he said that using this particular method, you end up with a much twistier, surprising plot, with all kinds of fresh takes on things that isn't stale that may even surprise the writer. By writing using a different method, you end up with something that may even surprise you.
Speaker 4: It doesn't surprise you.
Speaker 5: In that you at the beginning in the end, but how you get there can vary, as I said, and so you may discover some ingenious twists and things along the way, but you always know where you're going. So there are a bunch of different ways to tell the story, and the details may vary of what is going in the story, the different moral lessons, and the different challenges that characters face, the internal and external challenges. You know, no stories, no story works if the protagonist is perfect. Okay, we work with flawed characters, and some of the best stories are told from the most damaged flawed characters.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after a word from our sponsor, and now back to the show.
Speaker 4: And the story.
Speaker 5: As they get the external challenges, you look at how their character, their internal character reacts to that, and you see the character's character arc, which can be you know, learning improvement, change changes the mechanism that drives the character arc, or you can have you know, some characters will go through some things in as sociopathic characters, other damaged characters, and they may actually not have a character arc. The secario, which I really like, evokes strong reactions. Some people don't like the film because they think Emily Blunt's character, the Agent, the FBI agent she plays, doesn't have a character arc. I argue that she does have a character arc without getting too far into spoiler. She's completely by the the book and incorruptible at first, and then at the end when faced with her own death, because she's going to go forward and reveal by the book, reveal all the criminal and sketchy things that were done that Josh Bolan's character very much, the CIA guy wants her to say everything went by the book, to cover up all the things they did.
Speaker 4: In the end, to save.
Speaker 5: Herself, she falsifies the document to save her own life. So my argument has always been she does have a character arc. She changes from the incorruptible you know, perfect if you will agent, the idealized agent, and she changes to somebody who to save.
Speaker 4: Herself, falsifies the report of what happened.
Speaker 5: So but anyway, you know, you start with with damaged characters and you move them through the story, and that's that's the story arc. That's why we're entertained, is because we get to see change.
Speaker 4: In a character.
Speaker 5: If you have a character that you know is waterproof and bulletproof and you know, nothing ever happens to them, which I've always felt was a big danger with Superman, by the way, you know, that's why there's Kryptonite, right, yeah, because if he has no fault, he has no weakness. What are we going to do for a story?
Speaker 4: You developed the the.
Speaker 5: Ultimate badass Marvel superhero that can't be touched, that nothing can ever happen to them, Like the Silver Surfer. There's there's really not a whole lot you can do with that character. And that's why The Surfer had limited appearances and things. You look at somebody like Deadpool, who's in a very very damaged character who may or may not even be sane and Marvel finally, you know, Ryan Reynolds fought ten years to make Deadpool, and they insisted on you know, the script being genuine to the source material, and Marvel is very worried because you know, totally not PC and it's dirty and filthy, and he curses and he has sex, and he does all kinds of bad things that heroes shouldn't do, and that makes him fascinating. And that's why Deadpool killed it at the box office. I honestly believe it was. It was probably my favorite movie of the year. So probably not gonna win any Oscars, maybe special effects, who knows, but entertainment wise, you know.
Speaker 4: I thought it was.
Speaker 5: I thought it was a terrific film because you had such a flawed character and it was just so entertaining to watch him go through all that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and I also agree with that. The reason I liked it was because it was so different than all the other superhero movies that are coming out. Obviously, you know, it didn't take itself too seriously. It was completely different. It was a complete one eighty from all the other superhero movies that were coming out, and it's I think that's why I enjoyed it so much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he break they break the fourth wall the time, you know, he turns and looks at the camera and goes you know, you know, gee would a superhero really do this, and you know, there's a fourth wall break within a fourth wall break.
Speaker 4: And they they constantly pull the audience in. And those are things.
Speaker 5: Those are things that were pretty much although you know, even in Greek theater and Roman theater, those are things the aside where the actor turns and talks to the audience. Okay, those are things that have always been in storytelling. In modern screenwriting, they were pioneered by Shane Black, of course, with the with the Shane blackisms, you know, one of the most famous being and he's describing a mansion and I'm paraphrasing, I don't remember exactly, but he'll say, you know that he's describing the place, and he stops and he says, you know, look guys, basically, and he's writing like this in the script. Look, guys, basically, this is exactly the kind of place that you would buy if you hit the lottery and you had millions and millions of dollars and you wanted two great parties for all your friends. This is this is the shit you would buy. And he puts that in the script. So Deadpool did much the same kind of thing. You know, when I set through the opening of dead Pool by the time they finished writing the credits, you know, calling the director an overpaid tool and the writers.
Speaker 4: You know, the real heroes. General, I was fully.
Speaker 5: Satisfied with the price that paid for the movie, just getting through the opening credits. You know.
Speaker 3: Also, like you mentioned Shane Black, I saw that you actually were able to meet Shane Black. Was that a writer's conference.
Speaker 5: That was at Austin Film Festival. So I script called Needles, which is an allegorical diabolical, diabolical thriller that I found myself talking about a lot because people are curious about it, and that's how I went to Austin. I wasn't going to go, and the director of Austin, Matt Matt Dee called me, I think, a couple times, convincing me to go because apparently my script was going to finish pretty high. Frank Airbahn, director Showshank Redemption, Walking Dead creator, and you know, a bunch of other stuff. He'd picked Needles top ten. Of course I didn't know this at the time, but he'd picked it top ten scripts for the Science Fiction Award and top ten scripts for the Horror Prize out of eighty six hundred and twenty seven scripts. So when you do really well at some of these film festivals like Austin, I made the top group where I got to have, you know, secret meetings in special places with great people that nobody else could go to. And those meetings often had you know, twenty thirty forty people that's it from the whole film festival, whereas people who wrote scripts that did decently but finished lower, they'd be in a room full of you know, hundreds of people. And so I ended up in a room, a very small room, you know, size of a small dining room, maybe a little bigger, with Shane Black and a whole bunch of high finishers, and he was taking questions. So everybody was kind of shy, and I think I asked the first question. I'm not shy. I jumped up and I asked him about It was something about working with Robert Downey Junior and Val Kilmer. Their methods are very different, and what was going on in Robert Downey Junior's life, which I won't rehash here at the time, and you know, got to ask him one on one questions right there, which I think they actually put on a podcaster on the radio, which is kind of cool. But he had actually auditioned my daughter for a film, and her audition went straight to him, and he really liked her. And we went back and forth in a couple roles on that. Ultimately we didn't we didn't finish one of the auditions. We chose not to do. But I was a terrific guy, very very generous guy with his with his time, and just extremely gracious to other writers. So you know, I got some great pictures with him. I can prove it happened.
Speaker 3: Well, that's how I actually saw it too. I saw you met him because when you were on John Fallon's podcast, I actually saw That's one of the photos he added was you and Shane Black. And I wanted to make sure I asked you that, Mike, because Shane Black is uh. I don't think there's a screenwriter alive right now who hasn't who doesn't envy or you know, look at Shane Black as sort of like a guide in one way or another.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean he's you know, he's he's a pioneer. He's the guy that did something that you know, in modern times in screenwriting, nobody had done, and he did it with he did it with dash and and and bravado, and he nailed it. So he he's a guy much to be admired.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I also met Terry Rossio, who was just absolutely incredible guy, and he was very, very funny, and we were standing outside in front of the hotel and I asked him for I asked him if I could get a picture, and you know, a lot of people are walking by him. Had no idea who he was, and so he went walking by me, and my you know, ears pricked up, and I said, holy.
Speaker 4: Smokes, there he goes.
Speaker 5: And so I went out politely introduced myself and he said, he said to I don't know if it was his driver or somebody that was hanging out with him. He said, he said, I like this guy. Let's take about a dozen pictures. And he turns to me and he starts to direct to see. He says, Okay, we're just a couple guys hanging out talking here. There's a there's a strange accident or happening in the distance, and all kinds of weird stuff is going on, so we start acting like we're watching this. Of course, he was much better at it than I was.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after a word from our sponsor, and now back to the show.
Speaker 5: And I got like a dozen pictures of us making stupid faces and kind of grabbing onto each other and going ooh, went on, He's just hilarious, just a terrific guy. And I met uh uh uh John Lee Hincock, and I met uh with the blind sigh, I wrote, I met Andrew Kevin Walker, who that was great to meet him. Yes in the game, and yeah, I those there are a couple of my favorite movies. So uh, you know, the Evolution of Seven. Any anyone who aspires to be a screenwriter really needs to read the story of Seven. And what he went through, you know, is a towered record tower, records clerk.
Speaker 4: Trying to get anybody interested in this thing.
Speaker 5: He finally gets an agent on the phone, starts talking as fast as he can and spitting stuff out, and the agent doesn't hang up on him, actually is interested, starts asking qui lessians, agrees to read the script, and then boom, all of a sudden, it takes off from there. But you know, all the time to get to that lucky break, and then you know, director after director had him rewrite the script. The original script had the Head in the Box ending, which was, you know, shocking.
Speaker 4: To the studios.
Speaker 5: There's absolutely amazing ending, and you know, oh that's too much, we need to rewrite it. So they kept having him rewrite the script, and then that director would go off the project. The next guy would come in, Oh, I love this project, Let's rewrite the script. So he kept doing that, and then finally David Fincher came in and apparently I read an interview recently, I wasn't clear on how to tappened. Apparently Andrew Kevin Walker sent him the wrong script. He sent him the earliest, the first version with the head in the box, and Fincher loved it, and they went together and fought with the producers in the studio to get it made. And my understanding, if I recall, is Morgan Freeman is actually the reason why the movie got made the way it did, because at some point Morgan Freeman came forward and said, look, if you don't make it with that ending with the head in the box, I'm gone, I'm walking. And so that did it. But I got to meet him, I got to meet his brother. They were very nice, and I just heard him talk and I waited around, and you know, these people are normal people. I mean, they're not gods, and people idealize them and oh, I know who that guy is.
Speaker 4: I know his name.
Speaker 5: I've seen that actor on TV. Well when you really need him, they're just regular people. Some of them act like they're not regular people. Some of them act like regular people. Most of them want to be treated like anybody else. They don't want to be you know, they've had enough of that. Some of them aren't that way, you know, some of them have viewed egos. A lot of them just want to be left alone and treated like anybody else. So I waited in a very short line because people were afraid to approach them, and went up and got to talk with him for you know, it wasn't long, maybe five minutes. But I've got pictures with them too. So, so is there what's the what's the saying the essay fortune favors the bowls?
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, it's yeah, there's also, uh, what's the essays saying?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I was going for.
Speaker 4: The essays?
Speaker 5: I don't remember if it's Fortune favors the Bold it's something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I forget what that actually is. But I think, but it's very similar to that. I think. But is there any screenwriters you haven't met yet, Mike that you really wanted to meet?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: I mean, I suppose there are a lot of there.
Speaker 5: There are a lot of great There are a lot of great writers and a lot of great screenplays out there. I mean, my my favorites just you know, like you, Shane Black and and Andrew, Kevin Walker, Terry Ross you. I mean, it's just amazing to meet them all in one trip. Just just amazing. But you know, I don't know if I really have an answer to that. One the one of the shocking movies for me of the year that didn't get a lot of press and play expensive. I don't know if you've seen it, yes, Yeah, the acting is terrific, that the dialogue is wonderful. It's just it's a beautifully made film. It's a very simple film, but the acting, the quality of the acting and the writing the dialogue will just draw you in. I couldn't turn the damn thing off. I sat down and started watching it. I had places to go, people to see, had things to do. I had no intention of watching the movie. And I mean, I've fat there with my jaw dropped. Found that I've been standing there fifteen minutes with the remote my hand watching this thing. You know, my daughter got it as a sag screener and came in. And that's probably I would say that's probably acting wise and script wise, probably the best film I've seen this year. I don't know what it's going to do with the Oscars. I suspect Denzel Washington will probably win a Best Actor. Biola Davis certainly should be in the running for Best Actors. I know that she had enough screen time for it, but Denzel certainly should went.
Speaker 4: And you know, that.
Speaker 5: Movie, as they said with Deadpool, with the opening, that movie is worth the price of admission if you only watch the first scene where Denzel Washington is talking about death. The scene is so mind blowingly great that the whole movie is worth watching just for that one scene. And you know, it doesn't stop there. So I can't really say, you know, any one particular writer, A number of the writers that I'd like to meet her dead, So you know, that's kind of a kind of a bummer.
Speaker 3: But as you're talking about, you know, Defences, I thought it was phenomenal as well. I think you know, Denzel Sole the show in that movie. You know, he just plays that charismatic, tragic hero obviously because there's a lot of regret in him in that man's life, in that character's life. And you know, as he's sort of talking to everybody, everybody in one way or another, sees him at his best, sees him at his worst, and it's sort of you know, one way or another also at the butt end of his worst. And you know, his son, he talks to his one son the one way his other son. You know, he constantly wants more from him, and he's he doesn't go about it the right way. And you know, it's just a phenomenal movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because he wants to, you know, he wants to make the changes he couldn't make himself in his own life in his have his son live those and and also you know, excel as he did the way he did, because he's getting older and he sees you know, his own mortality, which we we know from telling you about that, so he he you know, wants to live vicariously through his son. Also, it's just an absolutely phenomenal movie. I'll probably watch it again when we get off the phone. Wonderful, wonderful film. I don't know if it if it kind enough circulation buzz the box office to uh to win Oscars. You know, the what the Oscars people pick frequently isn't anything near what I think is the best.
Speaker 4: And other people agree with that. But that's terrific writing.
Speaker 5: The dialogue is phenomenal. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, And it's almost a self contained movie because a lot of it happens in that one house. And you know, I wanted to ask you too about about you know, your screenplay for The Grocer, because that's completely containing self you know, self contained screenplay. And that won third place in the London Film Awards.
Speaker 5: Correct, Yeah, it won, it won third. It's won a bunch of awards. It just took third at London. It's uh, it's in the running in in another contest. That just made another cut. The Grocer is completely contained, if one hundred percent contained. It is one location the entire screenplay.
Speaker 4: There there are some movies that try to do that.
Speaker 5: It's very difficult to do it and carry it off with a with a very entertaining movie, because a one location screenplay is going to be very dialogue heavy.
Speaker 4: It has to be.
Speaker 5: Unless you know, you do something completely avant garde and have a bunch of people sitting in a room watching paint dryer ants crawl around, you know, some experimental thing. You know, I'll eraserhead meet Salvador Dali or something like that.
Speaker 4: You're you're gonna tend to be dialogue heavy.
Speaker 5: Needles is ninety seven percent one location, which is a desert saloon, which may or may not be in Needles, California, in the Mojave Desert. It's it's actually purgatory, but appears otherwise.
Speaker 4: And it is.
Speaker 5: Only two other locations that occur as flashbacks. One is a very brief flashback to gold Gotha and it's I think a quarter page. And the other flashback is is like a Pacific Northwest, rainy mountain, rainy mountain, winding road.
Speaker 4: And that's it.
Speaker 5: So you know, ninety seven percent contained grocers, one hundred percent contained The entire story happens at a grocery store in its parking lot.
Speaker 4: That's it. The one location for the whole thing.
Speaker 5: And of course, you know, you hear all the time, that's what everybody's looking for, is one location. You bring the you bring the cats and crew in, you set the date, you get everything set up and you never have to move anywhere.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: You look at a movie like Spy Game, for example, which I love, they have, you know, Hong Kong, they have you know, settings in Vietnam.
Speaker 3: We'll be right.
Speaker 2: Back after a word from our sponsor, and now back to the show.
Speaker 5: Langley, Virginia, China, Coastal China. You know it to Tony Scott, you know, big, big bang, big budget, big stars, and it goes all over the world.
Speaker 4: The Born films do that too. Those are very expensive to make.
Speaker 5: And a lot of the places where films like that want a film, like the Middle East, these are not stable places where you can just go set up a camera crew.
Speaker 4: This is covered in Argo. You know, it's no secret.
Speaker 5: There are a lot of places you can't film and you have to try and mimic, you.
Speaker 4: Know, find an other location that works.
Speaker 5: Then you have to you know, if you're not filming where they are, you have to build sets that make it look like you're really there, and.
Speaker 4: Things like that, you know, bridges, buys, they had to had to.
Speaker 5: Uh, they're showing Berlin being divided east and West, the communists and the and the democracy and they've got the they've got the wall being built right down the middle of the city. I mean, that fall an incredibly expensive scene to film. I turned to my wife. You know, I've seen it many times. She hadn't. I turned to her. Last night, we watched again. I watched it again. She watched it, and I said, I said, imagine the cost of the scene. How many people are there, all the soldiers in uniforms, you know, as far as the eye can see, and it's just very, very expensive. Well, it contained screenplay does the exact opposite of that. It minimizes your your actors. It minimizes your locations to minimalist as low as you can get one location. Now that there's even an extreme un contained screenplays. If you look at Ryan Reynolds buried, essentially the whole movie happens with him in a coffin. H That's that's as contained as you can get. You're in a coffin. Okay. So but anyway, that that's considered a very desirable thing these days. Hopefully somebody will hear this and ask to read the script and buy one of those those scripts.
Speaker 4: I keep having people rave, man, this need to get made. Well, I agree, with you.
Speaker 5: Let's let's sell the screen, you know, contact my manager, we can make a deal. But that's that's also a smart way to start off for writers that want to learn to develop character and get kind of be fuddled or thrown off by changing locations.
Speaker 4: They'll always posting my group.
Speaker 5: You know, what do I do?
Speaker 4: You know, how do I move the camera?
Speaker 5: I have a camera, you know, in a bedroom shooting out the window at stuff happening outside.
Speaker 4: How do I write that?
Speaker 5: You know, a lot of people get hung up on all that, And that's all formatting. A lot of people get hung up on that stuff. If you have a single location, you can concentrate much more character, can't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's very true. And then with like.
Speaker 5: Fences, you mentioned Fences was a play, okay, and the movie the movie feels like a play when you watch it very much. You know, Samuel Beckett Theater of the Absurd, he has he had a play that was I think half a page or a quarter of a page.
Speaker 4: He has plays.
Speaker 5: Where the entire play there are two people in trash cans talking to each other. You talk about dialogue heavy, you talk about illusions. You need to get encyclopedia out and people said this about Needles. You need to get an encyclopedia to understand everything going on because it's so deep with illusions, because you know, they've got a talk, or it's gonna just be two people with their heads sticking out of trash cans. The whole thing. You know, Beckett has somebody buried up to their neck and fans. The whole play is one character buried up to their neck and fan.
Speaker 4: All you see is their head.
Speaker 5: That's minimalist. Okay, well, that's what you shoot for. Maybe not that extreme, because it's very hard for something like that to be entertaining.
Speaker 4: You have to be a master to pull that off.
Speaker 5: But what you want to do if you're starting out is pick a setting that you don't move from. Work on developing and deepening and broadening your characters and examining the moral challenges, the philosophical ideals they have as they deal with whatever situation you're creating, and go ahead and develop the characters and worry more about that than jumping all around in like a borne. There's nothing wrong with the born fields, but you know, jumping around, you know, elevators and trams and planes and going all over the place concentrated on the character and building develop the character. There was a there's a play on Broadway called Blackbird and Sandasty subject matters, say Cha, Mall Station and stuff like that, but it basically has a Erica was up for a role in that. I was playing I think one hundred and fifty five shows at the Belasco Theaterre with Michelle Williams and Jeff Daniels, and they were gonna make it three Erica Bierman, and she actually got the preliminary offer on that. We were waiting for the final contract to come through, and the director wrote the little tiny part out at the end, so they went with a cast of two. The whole play is a cast of two for whatever the length of a full length Broadway play is. And it is a woman grown too. I don't need to go into this too much, but basically it's a woman grown to womanhood who was basically a child, young adolescent when she was entered into a sexual relationship with a guy. It's not like forcible rape, but it's statutory rape. And he and up, you know, living his life and having a family and the business, and she actually shows up at his business years later and confronts him. Oh wow, yeah, and so very very intense, very dialogue driven, character driven, and very contained.
Speaker 4: You've got something that is more than one location.
Speaker 5: It does have more than one location, but the vast majority of it is one location. And so that's the kind of thing that for a play or for a film, cuts your costs down dramatically. And that is what has has recently of.
Speaker 4: Late been in demand.
Speaker 5: And you hear people screaming all the time, I want contained screenplays.
Speaker 4: So that's what they're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know that, that's something that I try to do as well, Mike. And what the way I tried to do it was, I wrote I wrote three films, three screenplays out of Summer Camp. I called him my Camp trilogy, and in great and so that way, you know, it's kind of sort of like Finding the Thirteenth in a way, you know, because always gonna be at this camp, We're not really there's no big set pieces.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And it can be done, you know, where horror is the sort of the main character, and you don't have to you know, go out and get you know, a list actors. You could just you know.
Speaker 5: Happen that horror is very profitable. They can be made for not a lot of money. And if you're getting into contained horror where you got very few locations, that should be very desirable material.
Speaker 4: If it's written well, should be very marketable.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I've actually pitched a few of them, and well that's a whole nother story del Thegether. But but you know, but, you know, just going back to Buried, you know, I agree. You know, I actually knew what the whole concept was going in and I always wondered, how are they going to carry this for the whole movie. I was pleasantly surprised at how they carried that throughout the whole movie and adding different things.
Speaker 5: Well, he's acting, you know, in Deadpool, it's full of all kinds of self deprecating humor, of course, and Ryan Reynolds says at one point, Oh, Ryan Reynolds made it this far, and it's superior acting method. You know I'm talking about he's a good looking guy. Okay, Well, in in Barry, he acted the hell out of it.
Speaker 4: You know, you're not. You're not the best looking guy in the world.
Speaker 5: With a blue light, a little you know, low wattage blue light in a coffin the whole screenplay that was carried by his acting. He killed it. He did a beautiful job acting, so you know he needed a strong actor to pull off. You you put somebody who's just a pretty faith in the box who can't act, and you got a flop.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, it's very true.
Speaker 5: But you know, Ryan Reynolds happens to be a pretty face and he also can't act, and he ended up nailing that.
Speaker 4: And yes, it was.
Speaker 5: Engrossing from beginning to end, another film that I expected. I watched it for the novelty, which I suspect you did too, knowing what it was going in saying you know, there's there's no way they can pull this off, and then found myself via very entertained in watching the whole movie. And that's that's a great example of a successful contained almost completely contained. There are some other locations, but not much. I think maybe three locations the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just Also, I made sure to go out and get the screenplay because you know Scott Myers from Goldenstory dot com, he was always mentioning it, and I made sure to coach you got his posts about it where he dissected the whole movie. I was, you know, I was blown away again. You know how they were able to do that, and they always The way they did it obviously is they raised the stakes, you know, constantly adding in new twists and turns. Okay, you know he has you know, well, I probably shouldn't go into it because in case, everybody hasn't seen it yet. But but you know, it always reason.
Speaker 5: It's kind of old to worry about spoilers now, but I mean, yeah, you know, the one thing goes wrong and then the next thing goes wrong. You know, his light starts running out. I mean, you know, it just goes from one thing to the next.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after a word from our sponsor and now back to the show.
Speaker 5: And that's what you have to do in a screenplay.
Speaker 4: You need to keep raising the tension. You know.
Speaker 5: One of my criticisms of Manchester by the Sea is I just never felt the stakes were that high, and I never it just didn't feel like it was increasing tension. It's a very stately paced piece. Yeah, Case the Afflet did a fine job acting, so did the others, but it's not a short movie and it just moves along at a very very stately pace. I like the film. It wasn't my favorite film of the year by far. I suspect the Academy'll like it as kind of a downer ending for them, but it's a film that's a good example of one I didn't feel that they kept raising the days they didn't have sufficient stakes.
Speaker 4: Now to give you an idea of what the effect.
Speaker 5: Of that is, my wife fell asleep four or five times trying to watch the movie. We got a huge fight because I said, I said, now's the time, let's watch man Chester.
Speaker 4: I said, no, I'm not watching that thing. You know, I can't stay awake.
Speaker 5: I said, no, No, like you, you really will get in it.
Speaker 4: You know, it'll have an interesting emotional.
Speaker 5: Impact on you and you'll you'll get, you know, very particular feeling, and I want to talk to you about it. So you know, let's, you know, drink some coffee and let's let's set up and watch this thing. And I've watched it four times. I like it more each time I watch it. And you know, let's tell one of the ways that I learned to write well is by watching movies. Okay, I don't it'll probably surprise you, and I do not recommend this for most people. I read very few screenplays by other writers. I don't go read all the Oscar winning screenplays that are depending. I don't do it. I watched the movies and I absorb it that way. Is there a reason to read the screenplayce Absolutely most screenwriters do, and I strongly recommend that people start out that way. I don't think I've read more than five pro scripts on produced movies. I just don't. I just don't read them. I'll watch the movie. There is a reason, if only to see the differences in execution and planning, there's a great reason, you know, looking at the spec or the shooting script and then what they actually got can be a very rewarding and instructive experience.
Speaker 4: It's just not something I do.
Speaker 5: That's me personally, which again shows you that you know there are different ways to do things and still do well and get to the endpoint where you want to be. There are pro writers I know that read every single script for Academy Word scripts. They read every single script for every blockbuster that comes out. I don't do that. I would rather write natively without I'm not gonna say copying, but you know, just my own way. Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes perfect sense, Mike. I. You know, I like to I have a whole collection of screenplays, and you know, I always find that my favorite person to write screenplays and my favorite author is Quentin Tarantino. I just love the way he writes. I think it's entertaining. And I also feel though that I also can pull from the movie so if I like, for instance, I have the screenplay for Hell or High Water, but I actually saw the movie about three days ago before I actually heard the screenplay, and I like the movie, you know, just as well. And I will probably probably end up reading the screenplay as well, just to see what the differences are. But I really enjoyed the Hell or High Water? Have you seen that yet?
Speaker 5: Yes? And for you know, I don't want to say anything bad about Quentin.
Speaker 4: He has movies that I.
Speaker 5: Absolutely love that are wonderful films, and he's a groundbreaking guy. I will say, he overwrites. And you know, if you look at the screenplay for Hateful eight, is I don't like the film, And you know, the screenplay's one hundred and eighty nine pages or somewhere thereabouts, and a lot of people I talk with think he could have cut an hour out of that movie. But he's also written some just you know, some phenomenal stuff, you know in Glorious Bastard's Reservoir Dogs, pulp fiction. I mean, he's great stuff. He's another one though he's an outlier. He's he's very very smart, he's very gifted. He you know, he still likes screenplays out long handed, a square deal notebook. Okay, So he's a different kind a guy, and he's made his own path. He's not somebody that I would emulate writing, because there aren't. There are a lot of people that try and they just don't get.
Speaker 4: Away with it. They can't pull it off.
Speaker 5: He's a very difficult guy to try and copy, not copy like rip off, but to try and emulate his style. He's a he's a really difficult guy to do that on you know there are it'd be like it'd be like trying to write poetry like E.
Speaker 4: Cummings.
Speaker 5: You know me up it does out of the floor quietly, stare a poisoned mouse, And now I lose it?
Speaker 4: Who asks, you know, what have I done? You wouldn't have?
Speaker 5: Okay, all in lowercase, no punctuation. You know, Cormack McCarthy, same thing. Go read James Joyce, you know, go read one of the Cormack McCarthy books. Where's the punctuation? Did the printer lose all the period that gavas that you know, there isn't any So why can he do that?
Speaker 4: Well, he blazed his own way and he's phenomenal.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you know, do you want to go be the next corner at McCarthy and go turn a book into your publisher that has no punctuation marks? Probably not a good idea. It's just like copying Shane Black. There's a conversation in my screenwriting group brought up by a pro today this morning about how a producer wanted him to add back a bunch of unshootable commentary into the script that didn't have any well, traditional wisdom says, And I wrote a post going to my book, you know, on Sally Bigfoot. I wate this big scenario about Sally Bigfoot and her family, okay, about unshootable garbage in somebody's head that you can read on the page, and then when ends up there, so I write this big, long thing about Sally Bigfoot and it's like a page and a half long, and then what somebody could actually shoot from that script is like five words one line long, because none of the rest is shootable.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, there was just a.
Speaker 5: Conversation that strangely, a producer was asking this professional, multi produced guy, novelist. I'm not going to name him here now for certain reasons, but this guy has multiple films out and he turned in a nice titleing script. He's an action writer. And the producer said, you know, this is crap. What are you giving me? I'm not saying he said, it's crap. Okay, he said, I'm not happy with this. What are you doing here? I want a bunch of commentary and other stuff you know built around here. And he said, you know why you can't film any of that.
Speaker 4: He said, yeah, that's great. It's the exact opposite of traditional wisdom.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: He think he asked to write.
Speaker 5: Stuff into the script to make it longer, to entertain the reader, and to try and get a particular a list actor. I can't mention who they think they can lure in with this particular technique by writing a bunch of stuff that they will never be able to film. They will not change the film script one bit, but that they want in there. Now. The producer's the boss. If your producer tells you to do that, then you do it. And that's the right answer for that project. This is why you know rules are made to be broken. Quentin Tarantino broke the rule. Shane Black broke the rules. Cormac McCarthy broke the rules. He Cummings broke the rules. James Joyce broke the rules. Uh, there's a guy. There's a guy I can't remember his name, which is sad name, who wrote a novel.
Speaker 4: It's also in my book called Gadsby.
Speaker 5: I think it's called and this writer Sadly again, I can't remember his name, but he wrote an entire novel fifty thousand words without using the letter E.
Speaker 4: In the whole book.
Speaker 3: So it's not the Great gas it's just Gatsby.
Speaker 5: No, it's Gadsby. Oh Gadsby, It's like Gadsby.
Speaker 4: So he managed to write.
Speaker 5: He managed to write an entire novel without using the letter E in any word inside the covers. It appears on the cover as they describe what he's done. Because if you use the word novel, it is an e obviously, So no, when they say, oh, this guy wrote a novel without the letter E. Well, then you've used several e's avenue on the cover. But if you go to the actual story itself inside, nowhere does the letter HE appear. Now you talk about writer's block, and that's that's what my essay was about. Next time you think you have writer's block. I've written a number of these. You know, look at what Lucretius wrote.
Speaker 4: They rare.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure on the nature of things, this epic poem that this guy wrote, you know, in a toga in a cave with a candle, using squid ink in a feather pen, and the type of Einsteiny and physics and philosophy. You know, the incredible deep thinking this guy did under these conditions. Abraham Lincoln studied law by candle. Okay, that's that's that's tough. Okay. Uh, this guy did it, you know, in like fifty four BC.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after a word from our sponsor, and now back to the show.
Speaker 5: Writing in squid ink and he's talking about where the universe ends. I mean, really, so you want to you want to talk about writer's block, Uh, do something that's that's a remarkable achievement, but certainly less than than that. Look at at this Gad Gadspy book and again it's going to be in my book.
Speaker 4: But the guy writes the whole novel without the letter.
Speaker 5: Next time you think you have writer's block, imagine writing a novel without using one of the letters of the alphabet a vowel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I want to link to that in the show notes as well. Actually, uh, I'm gonna about that about that novel too, Mike, because that is uh.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I don't get you the info on him.
Speaker 3: Well, I was gonna look it up to when I put it in the show notes because I you know, I I don't know if that if that's an exercise in bravery or or it just admit complete madness. Maybe maybe both, right, but uh.
Speaker 5: I think it's the next It's brave and it's also stubborn.
Speaker 4: I mean, you've got to be let me see something fine for you.
Speaker 5: You've got to be mentally tough.
Speaker 4: Too. It's gadsby G. A.
Speaker 5: Dsb Y nineteen thirty nine by Ernest Vincent Wright with W R I G H T.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: The sad thing is, you know nobody remembers this guy's name, Ernest Vincent Wright.
Speaker 4: So did he take a gamble?
Speaker 5: You bet he did. He turned a novel into his publisher with no ease in it. That's a gamble, okay. And did his gamble payoff? I don't know what's the payoff? His book got published. You can still read the book today, you can. It's it's a novelty item. You can go look it up and say, holy smokes, how does this guy do this? And go skim the text? And he doesn't read like a tradition book because he can't use the word e He's got to write very strange, you know, circuitous roots to avoid using ease.
Speaker 4: Was he a success? I don't know.
Speaker 5: I couldn't remember his name and I'm a writer. His family didn't renew his copyright really, so yeah, I mean, none of his heirs after he died, none of his copyright ran. None of his heirs cared enough to pay the copyright feast to recopyright re up the novel.
Speaker 3: Jesus, I know. So that's amazing. You know, you know, we were talking about copyright stuff, and you know one of the things that you mentioned too in the group, you know, as you talked about copyrighting was about you know, about the WGA and also about you know, the US Patent Office, the Copyright Office, and I mean, you know, all of that is is really good stuff. And when I hear stuff like this happening, because I when I hear stuff like this happened, or where I hear stuff like you know what happened with Georgia Merrow and and and the original Living Dead, I mean, you realize just how important all this stuff is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's another thing most uh, you know my book will help with that. Shamelessly plugging the book yet again, but I mean the I I'm I'm involved in the project where they had they had some issues because somebody tried to steal the project. There are other in my in a year or so in my group, there have been I used to have them written down something like between nine and a dozen stolen scripts where people have actually come in and said, you know, my script got stolen and actually had some kind of substantial evidence in and significant data and.
Speaker 4: Story behind it.
Speaker 5: Not just like oh I wrote a script and don't damn that Star Wars they stole my script. No, nothing like that, like actual matching dialogue. And I've had a happened. I've had happen to me. I won't say who.
Speaker 4: I had another writer take some stuff from one of my scripts.
Speaker 5: And there are, you know, in a group of less than three thousand people. And it wasn't three thousand the whole time the group started at one. Me, it's not advertising. I reject about ninety percent of applicants. But in that small group, in one year, we've got somewhere approaching a dozen stolen scripts where people someone ripped off somebody else's work. And there are trolls that go in these groups. That's why I've got people very careful about this. They're trolls that go in groups and they'll say, you know, producer, looking for someone to write our story, and you know, we need you to submit ten pages. Well what they do is, you know, and then we'll judge and we'll pick who's going to get the writing assignment. Well, Dave, who gets the writing assignment? Tell me, guests they're running assignment. They they assigned the ten pages that say it's the one hundred page screenplay, so that's ten ten page divisions. They assign it to twenty writers, so they have they put up an ad in the group for you know, no money. This is year you have to prove to us who you are. You're gonna write ten pages. We'll tell you what to write, and then we'll get back if if we like it. Well, keep holding your breath. We'll call you blue boy. You'll be in the corner turning blue because they're never gonna call you no matter how good you were, because what's gonna happen. They don't have any money, and what's gonna happen is they're not really looking to hire a writer. They're looking to steal writing. So they give each they give ten ten scenes they want written ten pages. Kind of a simplistic example, but I'm making it easy for the math. One hundred page script, they divide it into ten segments, however many scenes each. You know, script's typically sixty eighty scenes. But let's stick with this example. So you know, you're gonna write these ten pages for us, and they give that same pages to the same ten pages to two writers. Then they take the next you know, eleven to twenty, and they give that to two more writers, and they do the same thing all the way down the line, so they have twenty writers writing their one hundred page script twice, so they What they then do is they then.
Speaker 4: Pick through it all. They pick what they like, what they don't like.
Speaker 5: They throw it all together and they have maybe even that guy rewrite the whole thing, the whole script sitting they're written for him. They just rewrite it, pick what they like, pick well that was the guy had a great idea. Well, you know we'll keep that. We're screwing him, so why not keep it. And then they get the whole script written for him that only need to rewrite, and they pay nothing. And you know, these people aren't scrupulous. This happens all the time in writing groups. You know, send me a writing sample, send me, send me, you know, ten pages of my original script. Here's the story. You give me the first ten pages, so you know those are those are all pitfalls, not copywriting. You want to register with w g A you got an extra twenty bucks. Sure, register with WGA. Is your script copyright protected? Absolutely not. WGA serves a lot of good functions. The script Registry is uh does not take the place of copyright. It's it's it's the It works as some evidence of when something was created, not a copyright. Don't even get into federal court with a WJA registration on a copyright case. So, you know, beginning writers need to learn that kind of stuff. And a lot of it's counterintuitive, a lot of it. You know, people aren't going to tell you. They don't know.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of terrible information.
Speaker 5: I'll do it here. I'll kill the poor man's copyright for you. Tell me it's copyright, write your script, fold it up, seal it up really well in an envelope, and mail it to yourself and there now your a year protected right. No, absolutely not does nothing. It's never protected anybody in any court that I can I can name, or that anyone I know can name. It's absolutely worthless. And yet this myth of the poor man's copyright persists. These are things that you need to learn, and and books like you know, David Trottier, Dave Trottier's Screenwriter's Bible and others will address some of this stuff for you. So you think you're going to be a screenwriter, spend twenty bucks by a book, read it or's something. Yeah, And I get into arguments. I get an arguments to people in my group. I'm a I'm a lawyer and they want to argue with me about the law. Hey, tell me I'm wrong. I had somebody do it a couple of days ago. She was, she was somebody asked a question that ran into legal territory and didn't ask it to me, just threw it up in the group. And I'm not this person's lawyer, but you know, I can give you throughout general advice to writers and stuff.
Speaker 4: So I answered the question and she's like.
Speaker 5: Contradicting my answer with the complete wrong answer. So I tried to gently guide her back and now, no, no, look at it, it's really this way right, And she told me I was wrong. So you know, you really writers need to have a basic understanding of certain things just to survive and be viable. The writing is a strange occupation. You have to be able to actually write stuff. But then there's the business end of writing, which is completely different from the creation end of writing. And again, like David Trottier's book, and you know other books, they actually will talk about both, and you Linda Ayrinson's book talks talks about you know, completely story story theory and structure and plotting the whole book.
Speaker 4: Genius genius book.
Speaker 5: Rick Toskin's book talks about playwriting seminars too.
Speaker 4: He talks a lot about the business.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after a word from our sponsor, and now back to the show.
Speaker 5: And his very practical guide. He analyzes plays, he bridges the gap between playwriting and screenwriting. And then he talks about the business of you know, Okay, you're sitting in your in your room over your garage in Kenesaw, Georgia, churning out this stuff. Isn't it great? Oh? You love it? And what are you gonna do with it? No one's ever gonna read it if it doesn't leave the garage, right, Yeah, very true. So there's a business set. And if you're let's say you're an idiot savat, let's say you're you know, a beautiful mind, you're this gifted mathematician, or you know, if this guy was in a cave in Afghanistan scribbling the most brilliant mathematics anyone had ever seen, all over the cave walls, using you know, burnt bone and uh, scratching with a and you know, highlighting with a with a piece of u ashed out stick and a little blood dot here and there.
Speaker 4: No one's ever going to see it.
Speaker 5: Right, So the most brilliant mathematician in the world, no one knows who he is, he ends up, you know, he he demises, and then you know, three thousand years later, someone finds his cave art and recognizes at his high level mathematics, which is wonderful. And you know everyone else, all the uninformed, think it's cave art. You know, look at this, Let that some let add some fags to this.
Speaker 4: Right, and modifying the formulas.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you know there's a business send to this too, unless you're going to be a pure hobbyist and just write this stuff for your wife or your spouse, your grandma, your dad, your mom. Oh look how great this is. Give it to your kids. There there needs to be a goal, and that's the business end. And so like the books like I said, Playwriting Seminars to two point zero and the Screenwriter's Guide, a Screenwriter's Bible, those are books that discuss the business end as well. Okay, books like Aaronson's is, you know, focused all on structure and plot and story function, character function and all those things to an extreme depth, like biblical depth. It's that in depth, but it really doesn't. There's some in there, but it really doesn't approach the business as much. Your cut too is showing by T.
Speaker 4: TJ.
Speaker 5: Alex I recommend. I think there's a little business in there too, but that's not why I go to that book. So you know, you need to learn you need to learn the business stuff too. And that bridge is a knife gap to contest, which you mentioned earlier.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And one thing I want to ask Mike is have you ever I mean I wanted to obviously ask this because you know we're talking about books again. Have you ever read any of the like the Big three or four books that sort of come across you know, everyone sort of comes across them, and those books obviously screenplay by sid Field, Uh, save the Save the Cat Story? Have you read any of those books?
Speaker 5: Let me be as fair as I can be. I I read Save the Cat. Save the Cat is an approach. It's extremely formulaic. You need to know it because a lot of studio execs will be expecting, you know, Save the Cat story beats and they'll go to, you know, page sixty seven of your script, page twelve of your script, page you know twenty four of your script, page five of your script, and they're going to be looking for story. Save the cat, story beats that. Blake Snyder, by all, by all reports a wonderful guy who died young. It's a shame. Supposed to be a great.
Speaker 4: Guy, and he wrote two of the worst movies ever written.
Speaker 5: You know, blank check or shoot a Stop or my Mom Will Shoot, which could have torpedoes of uster. Stallone's career dodged a bullet on that one. So you know. That book was an analysis done by Snyder over a great deal of time looking at looking for a formula common theme as thread running through the most successful and admired movies, and he distilled it down into a formula, just like a log line formula distills everything down and you start plugging your stuff in to get a good log line. Well, at some point, not every film has a log line. You can write with a standard log line formula. Once you understand what you're trying to accomplish, you may want to vary from the formula for a particular project because you may not be able to capture the log line well in twenty five words written, you know so and so must do this, or you know and beat such and such villain or this will happen, you know, blah blah. Okay, so that may not be the best approach for a movie that that you're working on. And so yeah, I've read Save the Cat. I think Save the Cat tends to put writers in a box and it makes you stick to story beats that people pull their hair out. Oh my god, I added a scene in my Save the Cat moment, my dark Night of the Soul moment moved and now it's you know, for pages past.
Speaker 4: Where it's supposed to be.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I'm gonna jump off the roof. No, tell your story, Tell your story and learn what Save the Cat is. In case you have somebody that really wants the beats to line up and you're writing for them, well then maybe you've got to break out Save the Cat. As far as the other ones, you know, did Field and all, I've started to read some of them. I find a lot of their stuff. Yes they're acknowledged the experts. Yes they're much better known than I am. Of course, I'm just a guy. You know, they're famous. Well, a lot of their stuff is very philosophical and kind of hard to put your finger on exactly what they're saying, and how do I apply this to my script? So you know, I look at some of the stuff and didn't find it immediately helpful, so I ignored it. I taught myself, and you know that's you know, there are conventions, there are rules, and once you learn them, you can also learn to break them and get away with it if you know what you're doing.
Speaker 4: And as far as.
Speaker 5: Those guys go, some of the most most well read writers, screenwriters I know that have read every single one of those books. They can quote you from the books and tell you what page number is on They've never written a good script. There was there was one guy in my group who's no longer a member, who's any social guy. Threw him out, But that's an aside, and he just incredible knowledge on all these all these writers theories, and you know all you know McKee and Fidfield and you know every other uh, every other theoretical uh theoretician on storytelling.
Speaker 4: And by the way, Aaronson also.
Speaker 5: Is big on that, except she wrote a book that's a very practical nuts and bolts guide.
Speaker 4: That is is it's not all just theory. It's loaded with theory, but it gives you.
Speaker 5: Guidelines to actually fix the engine. Okay, they tell you how to build the engine, tell you what the engine is, and then it'll let you put the engine together.
Speaker 4: A lot of these guys will say, let's talk about.
Speaker 5: An engine, and you know, before long you're sitting there in a yoga position, staring out at a little plant growing by itself in the desert. Okay, like then in the art of motorcycle maintenance, right, yeah, So you know, there's practical and there's impractical, and there's there are people that write all kinds of great stuff and I can't I'm not knocking these these great you know, well known philosophical guys like the Key and Field. I haven't read them. I've skinned little bits of him and said, you know what, this isn't answering my question, or this isn't for me, and maybe for you. I'm not saying it isn't for you. It could well be for you. My book isn't going to be for everybody. That's for damn sure. So you know, find your approach that works and stick to it. But the guy that I was talking about a minute ago, he bloviated endlessly in the group and everything. Oh this guy knows everything. Oh my god, he's the best expert anywhere, and he really didn't know a lot.
Speaker 4: It was incredibly impressive.
Speaker 5: And then one day he came into the group and he said, I've been doing this twenty years and I've never finished a script. Can you guys help me. I'm not kidding. I could show you the post. I mean, so this guy, this guy could quit you chapter and verse from Sidfield McKee, from any any but you know, the the hero's journey.
Speaker 4: You know all the different.
Speaker 5: Theories and story methods of writing, and there are a lot of different people that have you know, the two hundred and thirty seven steps of the Hero and all these other approaches. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those. They may be the best thing ever for you, but they may not work for me.
Speaker 4: You got to find what works for you.
Speaker 5: And so this guy could tell you what anybody wrote about anything, very convincingly. And you know, six months later you find out the guy has never finished the script.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, that's I wonder. You know, it's almost like a fear of failure to start or something. I mean, but then again, twenty years I mean, wow, I mean that is just maybe he just maybe he's got a ton of screenplays started but never actually finished.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back. A word from our sponsor, and now back to the show.
Speaker 3: Really, you've never owned sort.
Speaker 5: Of one that's well on, one screenplay worked on over ten years, never finished it. You know, I knocked out. I knocked out a rewrite in five days that was accepted. Ninety nine out of one hundred pages were accepted. First pass. I got some notes. They said, we want to change a couple of things on this one page that may cascadeness something else. Can you do that for us? I said sure. I rewrote it in about ten minutes. I spent about twelve hours rereading the script, thinking about everything, making sure that I wasn't setting myself up for a jackpot, a story hoole, a continuity. Ear couldn't figure out anything that was affected by this in any way. And when ahead and turned it in and they said, oh my god, we love it. You're done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I want to do a guy Mike he couldn't write ten pages in three months, and uh yeah, I and he wanted to be a screenwriter, And I said, you got it. Turn in three or ten pages at least ten pages, and I give him three months to do it, and because each month I would check back in, because that's what you had to do to join the one writer's group, was that you had to actually have written something. And I said, just show us something. I said, write ten pages. And the first month I didn't do it. My wife, my wife, and.
Speaker 5: I told you got it.
Speaker 3: And in a second month, another excuse, third month, and finally I said, you know, I don't think your heart is into this. I think your brain is. I think you want that, that notoriety. And then when we want that exactly, And I have a whole post on this.
Speaker 5: I have a whole post on you know, staring at the blank page and being able to put anything fucking commit write something. You're not a writer if you don't write. So I have a whole essay on this that people found very useful, and with seven or eight different bullet points about what what is really going to happen in your life? What is going to go wrong if you write a piece of shit? What is really going to happen to you? If you sit there and you hack away at your keyboard and you write just a piece of roadkill, a dog wouldn't eat. Guess what, nothing happened. You can rewrite it. You could start over three years later, after you've written two good ones. You'll laugh at your first one, and maybe you'll have ideas to go back and fix it. But that fear of writing, Like I said, I wrote a whole essay on this. It was very well received. If you be in the book fear of writing, if you don't put it down on the page. The one thing I guarantee you is you will never get anywhere. If you don't actually commit to write, You will never accomplish anything. Mike.
Speaker 3: That is so true. And you know, Mike, we've been talking for about an hour and forty five minutes now, Wow, I haven't even Yeah, well I have a timer writing to me. How long everything? But but so that's the other reason, I know, you know, Mike, I don't want to, you know, take up any more of your time. I know you know. You know you've got a million things going on as well. So you know, Mike. Inclosed, and I just want to ask you one one final question. Is there anything that we didn't sort of talk about that you wanted to get a chance to or is there anything that you wanted to say to sort of put a period at the end of this whole conversation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, every writer is different.
Speaker 4: What works for me works for me.
Speaker 5: That's a good place to start to look at, but it doesn't mean it's going to work for you. If you find a method that works for you, no matter how many people tell you it's wrong. If your work product is good, it doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you're not stealing it. Do whatever works for you. Learn the rules, the conventions of the trade. Some of them people can't even say why it's done that way. It's just done that way. Some of the rules you're gonna not be able to break, and some of the rules you will be able to break. When anyone tells you absolutely, oh this is wrong, that's wrong, absolutes usually don't work. Learn a way to write that works for you, and use that method. It probably won't work for me. Mine may not work for you. But there isn't necessarily a right way or wrong way you need to get a high quality finished product out. If you stand on your head and gibber and shriek and write upside down left handed, and that gets it done.
Speaker 4: Go for it.
Speaker 5: That's what you need to do, and you need to write. A lot of people say, right, every day, you know, write three pages every day.
Speaker 4: You have to where you're not a writer, Well, I'm not a writer. I don't write every day.
Speaker 5: I write every day in my group, but as far as writing content, I don't.
Speaker 4: So that's another rule.
Speaker 5: You know writers write every day, Well, thumb writers write every day. There are plenty of writers that don't. I write when i'm inspired, when I have great ideas, when I'm on an assignment, if I don't have anything going on, I don't feel like writing, and I sit down to write, I'm going to write crap. Right, I'm not inspired, I'm not motivated, I have no direction. Then without a goal, I'm just going to meander along and write a bunch of forgettable stuff that will end up in a folder that I just wasted a day. Instead, focus before you start to write. Common writer's errors. A new writer has no idea what they have to say, what their voice is, why they're writing. You need to try and discover your own voice and figure out what you want to say. You need to have something to say when you sit down to write. I'll close on.
Speaker 3: That I couldn't agree more. Mike, Mike, where people find you out online? Sorry, I know I said that was the last question, but this is the last question where people find you out online?
Speaker 5: No, my information's up on IMDb under Micha Lee Bierman. Most of my projects are in development, which means unless you have a pro you can't see them. But there's plenty there my contact information. I'm also I can also be reached through the Facebook group screenwriters who can actually write if you're going to apply.
Speaker 4: I do vet people. I do not let people.
Speaker 5: Unless there's celebrities and they contact me separately, which has happened a few times.
Speaker 4: I don't let people in using false.
Speaker 5: Names because deals are made in the group contracts form. You need to use your real name, and you need to show interest in writing. If I pull up your profile, it's got a bunch of stuff about playing on the Xbox and what's your favorite whiskey and what's your favorite color Ferbie, You're probably not getting into the group. So those are a couple of ways to find me in my emails online at IMDb and everyone.
Speaker 3: I will link to all of that in the show notes. And again, I just want to say that Mike's group is phenomenal. It is the best screenwriting group that I'm aware of on Facebook, and it is just everybody in there is always doing awesome things. And that's sort of what I want to always want from a a screenwriters group, you know, is people actually doing things. There's actually like three screenwriting groups I'm a part of on Facebook and and finally you know, they're they're great. They're yours. Mike Screenwriting You has one, and Scott Myer's going to Stories another and those three.
Speaker 5: Sure, he's great. He's a Facebook friend of mine. I don't really know him very well, but he's great, no question about it. Yeah, what one, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. I was just gonna say those three are what actually keep me on Facebook, because otherwise I'd just be like, there's nothing really keeping me here.
Speaker 5: Hey, one finals thought, shameless plug. You can look for my daughter and uh look for me. I'm I'm finishing with co writer co producer Ramsey Stoneburner, exec producer Guy Francisco Poland and associate producer Craig Talis. We're working on a feature film called The Shoes, which we've finished, uh shooting about two thirds of it. We've just added nay list person and uh we're going to be finishing that up in the next couple of months. So got a couple of films in development, but that one is one that is directly at least partially under my control.
Speaker 3: Oh awesome, fantastic, Mike. And you know, I looked forward to seeing you know everything you're up to, and I know we'll be talking in the group. Michael e Berman. There, I finally got it out. I have a head cold, by the way, that's why I sound so terrible.
Speaker 5: But uh, oh you actually sound great and no idea.
Speaker 3: Oh good. Yeah, that's why I'm having some trouble talking. I can't really breathe my nose too well. But it's been a pleasure having you on, Mike, and I want to say thank you so much, and again I will be talking to you very very soon.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for the opportunity.
Speaker 4: I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you did. My friend take care.
Speaker 5: Okay, bye bye.
Speaker 2: I want to thank Dave so much for doing such a great job on this episode. If you want to get links to anything we spoke about in this episode, head over to the show notes at Bulletproof screenwriting dot tv for it Slash for forty eight. Thank you so much for listening. Guys, as always, keep on writing no matter what. I'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the bullet Proofs Screenwriting podcast at Fullip Group screenwriting dot tv
Speaker 5: MHM