Speaker 1: Cal Poly is in session. Students swarm through campus and file in and out of classes. They're thinking about the chapter reading.
Speaker 2: They have tonight, their next class, their new door, their senior project.
Speaker 1: Got to get to the gym.
Speaker 2: What's for dinner tonight?
Speaker 1: Where's the nearest bathroom? Kate and I know things can get a bit chaotic as a student navigating the inns and out of college life.
Speaker 2: At cal Poly. We focus on learning by doing, but sometimes you don't know what to do well. Emma and I are here to answer your who, what, when, where, why, and how's here? On CP one oh one Learned by Listening, presented by KCPR ninety one point three. Hi Mustang, I'm Kate Lopenske, a fourth year journalism student, and.
Speaker 1: I'm Emma Hughes, a fourth year English student here at cal Poly.
Speaker 2: And we're here to share our tell all guide on how to survive and thrive at cal Poly San Luis Obispo.
Speaker 1: So grab a notebook. You may want to write this down.
Speaker 2: Today we are talking about one of my favorite places at cal Poly, the rec Center.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that big building with the treadmills, StairMaster and waits. That's the hot topic of the day. We're going to be giving you the need to know on all things cal Poly fitness.
Speaker 2: We'll be covering the basics like different facilities and amenities, the exercise and kinesiology classes, and we might just have a special interview set up just for you.
Speaker 1: With that being said, it's time to get physical.
Speaker 2: Physical.
Speaker 1: I want to get physical.
Speaker 2: Oh it's so bad, but I love it. Okay, let's just backtrack a little bit and talk about the overview of the rec center and what it's like, the allure of it. Yes, So, Emma, why don't you start us off and just talk to me about the rec center?
Speaker 1: Okay, So, after the remodel, the cal Poly Recreation Center now has twenty thousand square feet and is composed of two stories. WHOA, yes, so it has an upper exercise room, a track exercise room, and a lower exercise room.
Speaker 2: Do you use the rec center?
Speaker 1: I did freshman year when I was living on campus, and now that I don't live on campus and I actually live like far away, like i'd have to drive to campus to use it, I more so just work out at home.
Speaker 2: That makes go for walks.
Speaker 1: So personally no, So doing this research, it was kind of like a refresher of like freshman year time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm really fortunate in that I live pretty close to campus now, so I'm able to just walk on over right and it's like less than ten minutes. So I'm living the dream. And I love the rec Center. It's just she's perfect to me. Yeah, the rooms are definitely different vibes, Like the lower weight room is a little scary. It's a little darker, and everyone that knows what they're doing are down there. You know what I was doing, like my heavyweightlifting, I was down there all the time. But now that I've kind of moved away from that, I mainly do exercise classes like we're gonna talk about later, and I use the upper weight rooms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember. I would always use the upper weight rooms. Yeah, totally, especially just because like it felt more open. Also wanted to let y'all know that in case you haven't yet been to the rec Center and you want to get like a lay of the land before you go, there are guided tours available with no reservations needed, and that's an in person tour, so someone will kind of just walk you through the rec center, get you familiar with the different rooms and areas available. There's also virtual tours on their website, so feel free to check that out in case you are unsure of how to navigate the space.
Speaker 2: This is especially great if you are a prospective student, yes, and wanting to check it out. I know that we're kind of in like application season right now and people should be hearing back around March. Yeah, so this what this episode is actually going to be a great resource for you, so you can learn all about our amazing rec center.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then once you're here, just want to preface the hours. So Monday through Friday six am to twelve am, so it's open like all the time except for like late late at night, but you have it all day, welcome to use it. And then Saturday and Sunday from eight am to ten pm, so again it's pretty pretty open and pretty there at your disposal.
Speaker 2: I remember once I showed up at seven am on like a Saturday, just because like I was having problems sleeping or something and close. Yeah, that's brutal. It was brutal and it was really cold that morning. So I recommend taking those hours to heart.
Speaker 1: That's just a recommendation, but also listed on the website, so if you're ever confused or want to double check really quick search.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't make my mistake. And then so going off of the overall layout and just like facilities and amenities, so it has those rooms I've already talked about, and then there's also a matte room where there's wrestling karate classes and Emma likes to take the kids from the Children's center there.
Speaker 1: Yes, so the young like babies, people who are not even like one years old yet, will keep go. The people the little like the little tiny children. The babies will just run around the mattroom. So that's a fun little amenity. Also the courts, the racquetball courts, gyms, exercise studios, also indoor track that's there.
Speaker 2: Like I've walked on the indoor track before. I feel like that's a little bit more accessible. Kah. People usually just use that to get from place to place. I don't know. There's also study spots which is really nice. I've definitely used that before when I've been in between classes because it is a really nice place to study because it's very well lit. And then there's also the bean bags and I've seen a few people sleeping on those same in between classes. It's not a horrible.
Speaker 1: Idea now because it's comfy. Also, something that was really cool that I found on the website was is their open Recreation Center schedule where they kind of list out when you can just go and like play different sports and do different exercises and things. So they had like certain hours during the week when you could just go play basketball, go do some volleyball things like that. So definitely the website is a great resource to check out, so highly recommend if you're looking for something to do, why not check out the rec center schedule And.
Speaker 2: You can borrow that equipment that you're gonna need for open gym at the pro shop. And so this equipment is offered for only personal use and it can't be used by clubs organizational events, so remember that that is important. And rec center members can check out equipment for up to three days and equipment must be returned at least fifteen minutes before the rec center closes on that date, and that will help you avoid a late fee charge and users will be charged with a replacement fee for any lost or damaged equipment. So important information to remember. So now let's just step outside and let's just talk about all the fun things you can find outside of the rec center that is still part of it. So they have a lap pool, my favorite, the leisure pool so fun during the spring and summer.
Speaker 1: And then tennis courts, sand volleyball courts that are right there, also multi purpose field, and how can we forget the climbing park. I'm sure we've all seen it. I personally don't even know how to like use the climbing.
Speaker 2: You go to the paly the escapes office, you like fill out a way where you get like a wristband, and you can rent climbing shoes okay for the day, and then you just climb that rock wall. I did a freshman year. Was it second? It was fun, but it was kind of scary because I free climbed, like I didn't use a harness or anything. Oh yeah, so then I liked it though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I've always I see them out and they play like the best music and they're just having a blast. But I like never knew it was through the rec center, so now you know.
Speaker 2: And then further away from the rec Center, but it's still kind of in that umbrella are the basketball courts and the sports complex that's pretty much everything that you can find there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the rec center does span like it's a pretty large twenty area yeah, like inside and outside.
Speaker 2: And part of that rec Center building you can find the poly Escapes office. And this is super cool if you're into all of that outdoorsy stuff they have. You can rent equipment to go camping. You can rent paddle boards, surfboards, wetsuits, all that fun stuff. And they also have guided trips and you can get certifications.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they offer like training and certifications such as CPR, Wilderness First Aid, and like BLAT qualification. So like you with the free climbing, you know, we can go get blayed and then help you out.
Speaker 2: I know, but you should get your bullet certification.
Speaker 1: And now I got it in middle school because we had a rock climbing unit for pe and I was the only one in my class who decided to be a blayer and then I was stuck never getting to rock climb and I had to belay for everyone. So kind of a poor decision on my part.
Speaker 2: But but you're really good, is what you're saying.
Speaker 1: So I'm a plan bro. Actually. Anyways, one important thing to note about the rec Center, apart from all the facilities and things that it has to offer, is that it also has fitness classes, both for class credit and for fun.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's start off with those kinesiology classes that actually count towards your graduation credits if you have any free units. So I was fortunate enough to have a couple of units in there that I just got to take for fun.
Speaker 1: I'm jealous.
Speaker 2: So I took a jogging class, which literally put me in the best shape of my life so far. And I went around like back to track out there, and I was just doing a thing, running like three miles ever.
Speaker 1: Class, and she would have this right after our class together, and so she would show up and be like, I got my jog after I'm already show.
Speaker 2: Up in my like same worry out clothes all the time. And then I also took the weightlifting class, so that was fun. It's just like obligatory workouts, which I really like because like, I love working out, I absolutely love it, but I won't do it unless there's some sort of obligation, whether it be like a class or like I pencil it into my calendar, like you need to work out at this time.
Speaker 1: Right, just hold yourself accountable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but other than that, they have like tennis, swimming, yoga, pilates, and even pickleball that could count towards class credits.
Speaker 1: And pickleball is all the rage I would face. So yeah, my parents have a set, so every time I go home, cute, I like force them to come out with me and do pick a ball.
Speaker 2: That's super fun.
Speaker 1: So yeah, love pickleball.
Speaker 2: You can also opt for the free workout classes, which happen throughout every weekday and Saturdays. There's nothing on Sundays, but these examples include Breakaway which is cycling, body Pump which is weights, Zoomba one of my personal favorites, yoga, aqua Fit, and more so, so many different things to choose from. It's so fun because it kind of takes all the pressure out of working out off of you because you don't have to think about designing your own workout. They're telling you what to do, they pick the music for you, and I really enjoy that because it's my list, but I'm able to put my one hundred percent effort in well.
Speaker 1: I also feel like Zoomba is almost like just dance for adults. It's so fun, like live action. Yeah, like just dance because like.
Speaker 2: I take it a little too seriously. Like my friend and I are at the very front row at every single class, Like go to Zoomba at six thirty pm on Wednesday, you will see me there. Love it, Like it's practically like a class that I'm obligated to take. My presence is necessary.
Speaker 1: It's not a real classify, it's not there.
Speaker 2: So much fun. And to tell us more about these classes and what it's like to teach at the rec Center, we have a special guest, Christiana, and she's just gonna tell us all about what it's like to be a rec center teacher here and give us so many fun tips and tricks.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're so happy to have her here with us.
Speaker 2: So why don't you introduce yourself? Just your name entitle to get us started off.
Speaker 3: All right, So I'm Christiana Schrute. I'm a fittest instructor at the Capollio Recreation Center. I'm really excited to be here today.
Speaker 2: Well, we're so excited to have you because I single handedly credit the abs that I have coming into you. So yeah, I'm excited about that.
Speaker 3: I take full credit in seeing her in my classes, and that's probably the beauty of this episode you today that we are kind of connecting in real life. Believe it or not. The Recreation Center is gorgeous right now, it was not always gorgeous, right, and there was a time and you you can maybe ask your parents if they studied here or maybe like dig a little bit through the archives when the Recreation Center was a little bit that's maybe some more.
Speaker 1: A cake.
Speaker 3: Right. So it was a long stretch up building didn't really lead to community interaction and anything like that. So just after it got remodeled, I want to say in twenty thirteen, right, that's when I became really active in the recreation center. It really made sense for me. And you need to pick that time in your life out personally, because my daughters are born in two thousand and seven and in two thousand and nine, right, so you kind of need to think a little bit in your own life. It's like, all right, so what in my life is it? What's my why that makes me go to the recreation center. So for me, I wanted to be a role model for my children, but I also want to take care of myself. I'm a busy mom, I work full time, and I needed some incentive to do something fun, and I mean, what better way to do it? Because I'm a professor on campus I teach innovation entrepreneurship to do it right there where I work, So I kind of put the workout classes on my calendar. That's my first secret. You have to schedule your workout classes. And then in between my academic classes, I went and I worked out, and eventually the fitness instructors started noticing me. They were like, oh my gosh, I see you here all the time and it's really great. And then I thought, well, hold on, if I were to teach these classes, I have an extra bonus of showing up even more because I need to teach the class and I'm already a professor as it is. So I love teaching and I love inspiring people. And then I became certified.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. That balance is extremely impressive. The fact that you're able to be a professor and an inspiring and motivating workout in structure as well.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I also love the like penciling it into your schedule, so it's like holding yourself accountable and being like, I have to show up and other people will show up as well.
Speaker 3: When people walk in honor that they spend this time with me. I want to make it as special as possible. I just taught a spin class and I heard somebody say I heard you singing, and I was like, yeah, I'm incredibly bad and I'm singing. But the reason why I'm doing it is not to impress you, is just to let you know that I'm doing this to make this a fun workout, and if it involves me singing really badly, let's.
Speaker 1: Do it right totally.
Speaker 2: Can you just tell us a bit about the different RAC classes that you teach, and like, do you have a favorite one or are they all like your babies? You all just love them equally.
Speaker 3: That's such a great word, because that's how I look at them, right. It's just like if you have siblings, you might be drawn closer to one sibling or another sibling, but in reality, you know, you kind of relate to all of them. So when I started with les Mill's Body Pump, I would say, if you have not tried that class, it's a barbell based, choreographed weightlifting class, that one will change your body a lot, right.
Speaker 1: It's as it's.
Speaker 3: A one hour you're running through all muscle groups with weights, and especially as females, we tend to not want to work out with the machines or with weights. That class will change your body a lot. So that was my first baby, and then after that I became certified as a spin instructor. And I know I'm using the word spin now at the recreation center, please look for the word breakaway. It's taught in Studio one. You need to look for the word breakaway. So that's how we call it because it's cycling or breakaway. So that studio one, Studio three is where the weightlifting and cardio classes take place. In Studio two, I'm teaching the class that Cage just talked about, which is that bar or pilates class, and that's another certification that I have. And in a little while I'm going to go over there and teach total body resistance training, which uses straps that I attached at an anchor point and you're using that to use your own body weight to build brasilience and using bait. Basically very simple things that you could do at home, but you get stronger without always using weights. And then I teach a six back apps class as well, and again my goal is to look at them like they all work together, like you're creating a really good meal and you're using spices. So they're all spices in my little portfolio, and I wouldn't want to put any other ones in there right now, and my spice cabinet is pretty full. But at the same time, they all have a great place in there, lovely.
Speaker 1: And then as far as your class is going, it might be different for each class. But are they for everyone? Are they for like people who are beginners, experts, things like that, or can anyone show up?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a great question. So it's kind of like the mind and the body connection. Right there is a beautiful schedule when you walk in a weekly schedule, look at the schedule and then read the class description and see whether that's something that your mind and your body kind of resonates with. And I would say say that all classes could be beginner friendly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What I appreciate about your teaching style is like, for example, I just keep using bar because that's the class that I take with you, whenever someone's doing a modification, you'll look at them and say, I love that. Keep listening to your body. So I feel like that's the appeal of these recenter classes that maybe come off as a bit more challenging when you're looking at the overall description, but like you are able to modify, which kind of leads me to my next question. So Emma and I were talking before this and I was like, you have to come to one of Christiana's classes with me, like there's so much fun. She's like, I'm scared, Like it's a it's an intimidating environment being in that room with all those people, having to push yourself physically. So what would you say to someone who is like more hesitant to take one of those challenging fitness classes.
Speaker 3: So it helps to go with a friend, right, because that friend then can help you, Especially in body pump, there's a lot of setup that goes into this and the other thing that helps, and I'm picking body pump non purpose is to go a little bit earlier and connect with the instructor. So I always help people get set up at the beginning of class. I always ask is there anybody here for the first time, And then people raise the hand and we give them like a good round of applause and they're like, oh my gosh, it's great. I'm getting like you know, and standing ovation here so the instructor will help you, and that is something that's really important. You can't walk in when the class is starting because at that point the instructor has to get started. So sometimes in body pump, I have people that come in just as I'm starting, and I know that they are there for the first time, and I so wish I could go over and give them like a welcome spiel about what they need, et cetera. And it makes it challenging because that class again needs a lot of setup, or a spin class which might need a setup of your bicycle. So go earlier, ten minutes earlier, and tell the instructor I'm here for the first time, can you get me set up? I actually celebrate modifications because it's just like having allergies or food sensitivities. If you're aware about it, you can really like thrive in your life. Right. I mean, it's no like one box fits all. If you know how your body responds to a certain exercise and you need to modify it, I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, then once you have people set up and in your classes, how do you keep people motivated and keep people going during the actual work.
Speaker 2: I know the answer to this, but I want to hear it come from you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I mean, like I just pointed out, I was singing this morning, I am definitely. I don't want to say you know that it's it's really good, especially with my accent. And then I change the words of the song to match what we are doing. Okay, it's like making it like about a hill because we're going up a hill on the bike right now, making it about a sprint because now we's sitting in on my going fast. And so the people, whether they like to singing or not, just have to laugh. They're like, oh my gosh, this lady, she's.
Speaker 1: Like you're squeezing exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: So I make the song work, and that helps. Another thing that helps is again sharing a little bit about yourself, right, so I weaven little stories about my daughter, about my daughters, about my husband. Again, speaking about the mind and the body, to not only work your body, but also do something fun with your brain and maybe just do something listening to something different than and I usually talk about inspiring things too, and how people are like, oh my gosh, this lady she's actually doing some fun things. Maybe I should try something like that too. She's already smiling right there.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking about how, like when I'm just in pain, trying to like be in the moment, I'll play Christian A Bingo in my head because you'll like break up similar things. My ones for you are your daughters, the color pink, tailor swift and right now Valentine's Day.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, it's the best.
Speaker 2: So I'll be like, there it is. It's so funny and it definitely keeps me engaged. So it works.
Speaker 3: This is one of the biggest compliments, Christiana Bingo. I love it. How amazing, Thank you.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. And then so a lot of people show up for your classes again and again and again. So what would you say is your key to having those same students show up to your classes a week after week.
Speaker 3: I think the results build the movement that you're kind of generating buzz, and I think that's really really important. I would see people taking selfies after my class and they post it, and I think that's just the very best thing because it builds accountability. You could take a picture before you walk into the rec center and take a picture after the rec center and say this was really fun. I'm so glad I did that and somebody will see it and they were like, oh my gosh, let's do it together next time. So I think that I really treasure that you do that and please coming back. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Perfect, So switching gears here, We're coming up in our last three questions and we wanted to keep it kind of fun. But what is your favorite part about being a rec center instructor?
Speaker 3: The people? For sure, Yeah, it's the people. It's making the people smile, appreciating that they are there to get healthier, and really sharing that moment with them.
Speaker 1: Wonderful.
Speaker 2: And then we also wanted to know do you use the rec center for your personal fitness or are you just there to teach classes.
Speaker 3: That's a great question. So now with my schedule, how it is. I mostly use the pool for my personal fitness, not in the wind, I have to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then our last question here is just in general, which you might have already answered it, but what is your favorite part about the rec center? Just overall?
Speaker 3: I like that there is so much light coming in, I think.
Speaker 2: But actually I really thought to think about that, all.
Speaker 3: The big windows, it's really smoothing your path to a successful workout because you see the sun coming in, you connect with the world outside. And it's just such an important piece that there are all these windows everywhere. You can see the pool outside, you can see other people working out. It's very open and airy and filled full of light.
Speaker 2: And then, real quick, before you have to go teach your TRX class, go ahead and plug your podcast in case people want to tune in your Instagram where people can find you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so please connect with me. My podcast is called Happy Healthy Hussle. Of course, now listening to me, I see nodding heads here, You're like, that totally makes sense because I want that you keep hussling, but that you stay happy and healthy. And yeah, it's actually ranked top one percent globally, so I would love for you to check it out. I have cool interviews with other fitness experts, but also lots of business advice there for the students that want to maybe start their own companies or just interested in management or marketing tips in general. Check out my website. I have lots of recipes on there, including some amazing workout smoothies. It's called Hello Happy Nest, hellohappinest dot com. And then, of course come to my workout classes see me in real life right, check out some podcast episodes, check out the website, grab a recipe, and then schedule that first workout.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for doing this interview, Christiana. We loved hearing from you.
Speaker 2: And we're gonna link all of her resources and like where you can find her in the bio, so please check that out. I know that we will. Right after this, I'm definitely gonna make one of those smoothies.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, that sounded so good. Well, that's all the time we have for today. One last piece of advice, don't be afraid to go to the rec center and try something new. Whether you are looking for an intense cardio workout, or same day at the pool, or just a place to study, the rec has it all, so make sure to get your money's worth while you're still paying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when are you going to ever have this opportunity again? But anyways, we'll be back with more tips and tricks next time on CP one on one learn by listening. You can find us on any preferred streaming platform for the next episode.
Speaker 1: And to keep up to date with CP one on one and all KCPR podcasts, follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Spotify, TikTok or Facebook at KCPR nine one three.
Speaker 2: Or check us out on kcpr dot org slash Podcast. Signing off, I'm Kate Lopensky.
Speaker 1: And I'm Emma Hughes. Thanks for keeping up with all things cale poly