Speaker 1: You will listening to game Spot after Dark episode one one one. That's right, we've done one hundred and one episodes and what didn't you know? We were also highlighted as one of the gaming podcasts that listens to by the Apple podcast Twitter page, a surprise to many of us. It was nice, it was love it. I was like, oh, I'm surprised they picked us. But if anything, that is an official seal of quality. But you shouldn't be persuaded away from recommending the podcast to other people. So make sure you go to Apple and up vote and review and subscribe and share it so we can get even higher. Let's crush all the other podcasts out there, all the other worthless podcasts that were in our category, like what is this one called? Giant bomb cast? Bullshit? Get rid of it. I am joined by I'm your host Tamo saying, joined as always by Jean Luke Snipeke, how.
Speaker 2: Do you do? Baby?
Speaker 1: I love it?
Speaker 2: Different of it? I like that one. I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a good one. It was good. That voice, of course, is the one and only newly minted twitch streamer twitch dot tv. Lucy James games Hi, thank.
Speaker 3: You well, I mean Tom is doing more to pip my streams than I are. I'm like sliding twenty dollars across the internet by Venmoir.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and for making his debut on the Game Spot after our podcast. It is the one and Only. You may have seen seen him on YouTube dot com for Slash Game Spot doing intelligent, smart analysis of mental health and video games. It is Chris Morris.
Speaker 4: Hello, the one and Only Chris Morris.
Speaker 5: The One and Menace Morris.
Speaker 1: That's what we call it.
Speaker 5: I have some kind of wrestling though, like Chris the Menace.
Speaker 1: Morris, Chris the Menace Morris, Chris the Mental Health men Morris.
Speaker 4: The Mental health Menace is anything I'm trying to I'm trying to do the opposite healthy.
Speaker 5: I just said menace in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we're gonna go with the Menace Chris. Of course. I don't know if you listen to this. Should you listen to the show?
Speaker 4: Chris? Yeah. I was really kind of put off by the fact that the theme tune didn't kick in right the start there, because I'm just so used to used to that coming in. Also, is no one else going to mention the fact that Tam you said it was episode one one one and then said we've done one hundred and one episodes.
Speaker 1: Is that what I said?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh mate, absolutely biffed it. Don't take let's throw all of this away. Let's throw all of this away.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, like one on one, like the non emergency number here in the UK because we have a British majority.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the British majority.
Speaker 1: Finally, how does it feel, Jean Luke, how does it feel? I'm terrible with numbers, so I'm not at all surprised at myself for looking at those numbers and then incorrectly speaking them.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean I might be wrong because no one else put it up. So if I am wrong, just cut out, because I don't want the first thing.
Speaker 5: For me staying in regardless, staying in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the menace and getting numbers wrong, Chris, As with all first times, you have a we have a little segment that we call the Chris from day In Ohio segment Chris, which has the theme tune that goes like but uh back. We are like ninety nine percent sure that Chris from Dayton, Ohio doesn't listen to us anymore, because we've reached out to him via this podcast to give us signs of life, and he has not. But he introduced this thing. He messaged in and I was like, I don't know any of you, and this podcast seems all right, But I don't know any of you. Who are you? What do you like? So, Chris, but the people who don't know you like, we know you. Tell us what you do at GameSpot. Tell us what you like, what games you like? What what rustles your Jimmy's, what helps you put in the morning? You know, one of the things that you love.
Speaker 4: Wow, what an introduction. I'm Chris. I'm a video producer here at GameSpot in the UK, permanently in the UK, not just a flying visit like Lucy and Tam. I'm sticking in.
Speaker 5: Can you call it five months of live visit?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So let's not go Let's not forget the fact that Lucy was born and raised there and I lived there for most of my life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you've left us, so you're basically dead to us.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I make videos, all kinds of videos, really, but you may have seen me talking about time splitters or mental health or some other kind of psychology adjacent things. And I've also worked on some of the shows we've made over the past couple of years, like Load Out, Audiologus, remember when. There's probably some others that I'm forgetting.
Speaker 3: And I just watched an episode of Expert Reacts you edited as.
Speaker 4: Well, so that is true. Yeah, if you're listening to this on Friday and you're a fan of the work of our friend Jonathan Ferguson, then and look out for that the usual time and place on YouTube. It's a good episode.
Speaker 5: I hope it's good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, he's on. He's on spicy form.
Speaker 3: I think he's very spicy. Even calls himself out. He's like, I'm being I'm being very nitpicky today.
Speaker 1: You Yeah.
Speaker 4: In fact, a little bit behind the scenes trivia, he had just had a packet of Mexican spicy rice before we started recording, So perhaps that is exactly want to.
Speaker 1: He's so British that simply eating something spicy changed his very demeanor. Yeah, that's how Brita's reactive food.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So what are the things that what the Chris from Day in Ohio thinks?
Speaker 1: What? What games do you love? What things do you love? What games, movies, whatever? What defines Chris Morris. We talked about this. I talked the aout the other day. If if if you were an RPG character and you were on RPG NPC and you were killed, and the game was designed for like the loot that was found on you would be a representation of who you are. What ship would they find in there in your backpack? Let's talk about media specifically, that would be Leia, I get a feel for what this person is.
Speaker 4: Hmm, okay, well I reckon certainly. I mean the easy answers would be things like Bloodborne or Discolysium, which you know is very much preaching to the choir I think on this podcast. So I'm going to say something a little bit different and go with I think I would drop an anthology collection of the roller Coaster Tycoon games because they are like the defining or you know, they're there have been the constants I was about. I don't know, whenever we got our first computer back in my family my dad's house, roder Coasta, Tycoon two, three Planet Coaster Parchitect. Yeah, they are great. I think they're just like I was thinking the other day, like how many games are there where you where you're just like creating stuff rather than destroying it and specifically just things to make people happy. There are so few games which are just about like bringing joy to people, which I think is really which is really sweet.
Speaker 3: Do you know that was the original picture of the SIMS as well. It was meant to be like in the original SIMS game, you had all of your your sort of mass mass Love's hierarchy of needs, but you also had one for just like how nice your house was, and so it's like that was kind of one of the mini games within the SIMS. It is like making a house that your sim thought was nice.
Speaker 4: And much like with Roder Coast Tycoon, the first thing everyone does is like set someone on fire in a one by one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul Ladder in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, stick a roller coaster that just flies a one hundred miles an hour into a crowd of people. All those sorts of things that people do.
Speaker 1: What about Chris a movie and a TV show? M hm, well movie.
Speaker 4: I am a big fan of the Coen Brothers, so I'd probably go with Inside Lowyn Davis.
Speaker 1: Because I'm a big fan of films.
Speaker 4: Is oh mate, if you're a fan of Oscar Isaac. Oscar Isaac has never looked finer more when he was inside lowin DA when he was playing Lowyn Davis.
Speaker 1: That phrasing, Isaac has never looked finer than when he was inside.
Speaker 3: Yeah he's Oh actually, no way. I did see a picture of him smoking a cigarette and window Yeah, okay, good. However, I would say, do you know he looks unbelievable in June?
Speaker 4: Hmm, yeah, that is true.
Speaker 5: But I mean I'm.
Speaker 1: John Trouser snake or is this just uh, I'm on Google while Lucy is uh having a trip down and sync memory lane? Give us a TV show mate? Uh?
Speaker 4: Dark?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, I'm with Dark, Yes mate.
Speaker 4: The first few months as a game spot in the UK a couple of years ago, I was banging on about Dark and everyone thought I was a tedious bastard and they were.
Speaker 1: I listened. I listened.
Speaker 5: Dark watched it eventually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I listened. I got there eventually, and you are right. It is incredible. It's just usual.
Speaker 4: A teen ninety nine. I think they're still making it. They're doing it. I read this week they're filming it on like a volume like they do with Mandalorian, like the big led wall thing that they have, which is interesting because especially I think Dark is like the best looking TV show I've ever seen, and a big part of that is where they shoot it in these like amazing German forests. So it'd be interesting to see if they can do the same kind of visually striking thing with eighteen ninety nine. But yeah, everyone should watch Dark every everyone. I think. I think everyone thinks it's like German Stranger Things, but it's so much better than Stranger Things.
Speaker 1: Oh, the Stranger Things is like not even close to as good as that is, like the thing that I saw, Like every time I see it, I'm like, this is somehow just intensely death stranding vibe. It's like, yeah, it looks it looks so much like death Stranding or vice versa that like, sometimes I think Kajima must have thee. There's no way, because like Norman Readers's character like Sundporter Bridges and a character in almost the name The Stranger, they look the same. I was like, oh shit, this is the same, like we're in the backpack everything. But yeah, I think that show is incredible as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and certainly for the first I think couple of series. It's one of those shows that kind of you can have a scene where nothing much happens, but the kind of implications of it, like within the context to show, are huge, and the telltale sign is always like someone will like pick up a piece of paper and look at it, and then the score will come in with this like absolutely haunting, like based synth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of bass and synth, let's move on to a game that has a soundtrack with a hell of a lot of bass and synth, some saxophone, a bit of jazz. Well, of course, talking about Death Loop, the big game of the week. Everyone here has been playing it. My opinions of it are thoroughly documented now at this point on the video game website www dot GameSpot dot com, where I gave it a ten out of ten and called it an essential video game, importantly for the crybabies that have been in my mention on the internet. I didn't say it was perfect. I said it was essential, and I stand by that. I'm going to go to Lucy first. Lucy, what do you think of it? Talk to us about Death Loop.
Speaker 3: I'm in the same boat as you, I feel, because there's I mean, when we were filming last week, I'd already was it last week the week before I'd already finished it. My opinion of it is unchanged. I fully I am in agreement with you about the ten out of ten. I think it is wonderful. These an incredible game. I've been having more fun now as Juliana invading people, which is because I wasn't really turned on for like a lot of the time that I had code ahead of release, and so that is just like a very very fun, like completely optional multiplayer mode, and I've really been enjoyed because I'm not very good at it. Sometimes I feel like I can do really well. I did feel so bad I invaded this person. Dave, my housemate, was getting a bed delivered, and he was like, can you help me take my current bed and put it outside? And I was like, yeah, I'll put it like in another room. I was like, yeah, yeah, I've just loaded into this game and it loaded me in and I was like, I'm just gonna hide and I'll get mad points for like just existing and just being alive. And so Dave and I took us like twenty minutes through this bed down and then I went down and I was still alive, like the person hadn't found me. So I went and found them and they were in the middle of killing all the Wendies and I think they had one or two left, and I and there was a roof hatch and I just popped in and just snapped his neck and then waited for him to you know, rupries back, and then obviously hold down on the on the dpad, and I alerted the final Wenji's to his position, and then we all just shot him. And I felt really bad, but I got Hella points.
Speaker 1: So loosely is out there being a menace on the servers for Death Loop Chris, you started it recently, right, what do you reckon a bit?
Speaker 4: Yes, so I've played maybe three or four hours, I think, and I like it. I've never played an arcade game before, which I think is probably really a bit of a unique position, certainly on this podcast, and there's no kind of reason for that. Like I always thought I would enjoy Dishonored and Pray, but I just never got round to playing them for one reason or another. And there's a lot that I really like about it. I think it's so stylish and it feels like such a confident game, like the retro future aesthetic of it is brilliant, Like you said, The soundtrack is great. It kind of reminds me of in a weird way, like Thirteen, but toned down, like the kind of the kind of slightly unreal art style and like when everything is like flowing it's it feels really fantastic, although I haven't had that much of that because I'm still not very good at the game. I'm just still kind of figuring it out.
Speaker 5: But are you stealthy? Are you stealthy on going or guns blazing?
Speaker 4: I'm definitely stealthy, And I mean that's not that's that's a horrible term. I've just realized you've walked into that track.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a bad term. Now, how do you play.
Speaker 4: Taking this stealthy route? Yes? And yeah, I think part of that is just because I want to kind of explore each area and there's it feels very dense, like there's lots of buildings to go in and out of, little hidden corridors and pathways and things like that, and all that stuff's quite fun and I'm really enjoying just kind of untangling the world and trying to figure things out. It feels a bit like the kind of wider setting of it feels a bit discollesian to me, like this kind of I'm getting the sense that there's lots of like political stuff going on that you're not going to see for a long time. Like there's hints of like that it used to be an army outpost and things like that. So I'm very keen to kind of figure that all out. Then again, I did only play Disco Liesium like two months ago, so it might be that I just want everything to be on the brain. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I do think like for me as an arcane novice, I don't think it when it starts, I don't think it puts its best foot forward in terms of kind of starting you very underpowered, because I felt for a few hours it was kind of frustrating going around these areas and there are very obvious routes that are kind of tied to powers that you don't have access to, and I felt like I was being kind of funneled down kind of going in the front door a lot. And yeah, and like I totally understand that, and it's but I guess I want it to be a bit more. I was hoping it was going to be a bit more kind of the hit Man free form vibe like one of the first things I did when you first get to Updam, which is like one of the first things that you do or the first kind of area that you go into. One of the first things I did was turn off the waypoints because I wanted to kind of like figure out stuff myself, like where I was going and all that kind of thing. And that works really well just for that one objective because you get like a postcard which says which gives you an address, like a vague location and a picture of where it is. And so that was great because I was like figuring out where this thing was and it says, oh, Juliana says something about it being by the cliffs, and I was like, oh, brilliant, I'm going to figure that out. But that doesn't really apply to any of the other objectives in the rest of the game. And so that I found.
Speaker 1: So far, Yeah, not for the main objectives.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I guess I'm missing that thing where you can pick up a clue and then examine it and like really piece together something yourself. And it's more like you pick up something and it just opens up a new waypoint for you. So I think, yeah, I don't know that's like a very kind of like minor thing because I'm still enjoying it a lot.
Speaker 1: You get way more of that with the other leads and objectives. I think that I think their goal is like always have the main objective pointed out, and even if you kind of like turn it off, they make it obvious. But I do remember a bunch of things like that are like sub objectives that will feed eventually into some of the main objectives. But that felt a little more like, Oh, I've accidentally stumbled upon this thing. I'm going to figure it out and then go from there. Some of them are like arsenal things, and some of them are because it tells you it's got the same kind of like quest chain system for weapons and abilities and that kind of stuff, and there is a bit more of that in there, So I do think that you won't be completely without that, But yeah, it is I think that the tricky part of it is like aimlessness is not part of the design in terms of his his thing is like, narratively speaking, the objective is to do something swiftly and and figure it out in a way that the empowerment comes from doing something quickly. If you get what I mean, yeah, it's the same. It's the same reason that a lot of people have like replied to me, being like, the AI sucks, why did you give it a ten? And like my response to that always is, the AI doesn't suck. The AI serves a purpose and you just don't understand what that purpose is within the grandest scheme of the game, because the AI is just challenging enough to take you out, but it's not a dark cells enemy system where it's not trying to put our brick walls in front of you because that ruins the momentum that it's trying to build. And I think it has a similar kind of approach in terms of that kind of how guided it is because of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the enemies are definitely there for you to have fun with, aren't they. Exactly? You don't. It's not an accident that half of them are kind of stood looking out over a cliff and with your back with they're back to the pissing into the wind, right exactly. There's just every kind of encounter seems to be set up to like it's the opposite of the dart Souls because it's not there to kind of like teach you something. It's just there for you to like have fun, like use your power, see you know, see see what you can do.
Speaker 3: And it's also like the start stop nature of it in that, like in Dishonored, I feel like if you would accidentally muck up a stealth section, everyone would be on you and it would just be like, oh, well, that's that you. You'd have the feeling of like, oh that's that ruined, that run ruined, whereas in this one, it's like it kind of calms down way more forgiving, and it's like they don't even talk to each other.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to kind of get myself in that frame of mind, I think, because certainly I think the first what the boss character is called the visionaries Visionaries. The first visionary that I took out is, I mean, without wanting to kind of like go into spoilers, he's set up in a mansion that's been turned into like a role playing game.
Speaker 5: Sign Oh you weren't there first.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 5: He's my favorite. He's my favorite.
Speaker 1: That's the same one I went to first because of that. I knew the power he has because of the and I was like I need that power.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I got that power earlier because I killed Juliana when she invaded me.
Speaker 5: But you couldn't infuse it right.
Speaker 4: No, and I couldn't, but but I had like ten minutes of using that power and then I was instantly like, I can't live with that. This I need to figure out. But in that one, that was kind of like I did. I did a lot of the stealth, like most of the way up the building. But then when I think specifically with him, when he panics, do you get everybody coming after you? And so that's that's quite good that I'm glad to hear that. It's not always the case that that happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that one as well, Like when you do that run, when stuff goes south, it it goes south in that place very very quickly, because there is there is like a narrative reason why it does go That sounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, John Luke, you've been playing a bit of it. What do you make of it so far?
Speaker 2: I am having a fantastic time with it so far, with a couple weird technical issues. I started it on PS five and then I ended up switching over a PC because originally I was gonna play with Georgia and then she was like, ah, this isn't really that interesting to watch. So I was like, oh'll just play it on my own and I switch over to PC because I prefer playing these games on PC. I like the precision controls, a get mouse and keyboard. But I haven't getting like a couple of weird technical issues like some crashes and stuff like that. Nothing like that's been like outright ruining my time with the game. But just like I'm a little like eh, like like I'm it says something about the quality of the game that I'm like, I'm powering through it regardless, where like maybe other other games, I would like give it a couple more days of like I'll give it a give it a day for them to patch it out. Meanwhile, I'm like constantly thinking about Death Loop and just wanting to keep playing it. Like I like, the first night I played it, I went to sleep and I had a dream where I was in a death loop, like a just completely like enveloped my brain. I don't know I was. I was really tired when I that night, so maybe I was just I was just on one. My brain was just playing tricks on me. But uh, yeah, I don't really know what to say that you guys like haven't already said about other than like it's it's fucking fantastic because it's really.
Speaker 1: Good at its almost it's almost kind of annoying in it because like what if a game, you get a game that's good, uh, and you can but like has some issues, you can talk about it. But when a game is this good, it's just like, yeah, it's just it's just really good. Man. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've just heard you guys talking about the last couple of weeks in the podcast. Now I'm playing it and I'm like, yeah, yeah, they're right, They're right about everything. It's real. It's real damn good. I oh boy, I uh I did if it real bad?
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: When I was playing last night, I had just gotten the ability to infuse, and it was like, ah, perfect, I'm gonna go on this great run. And I went on this like fantastic run where I like I soaked up like a ton of a ton of what do they call like the infusing residuum, and then I was like all right, I gotta leave now so that I can spend these points. And then on the way out I got killed and then it was like not thinking about it and I was like, oh, I just got to leave so that I can uh infuse all this stuff and didn't. I didn't go back to my body. So I went I went back and I was like, all right, time to infuse all this stuff I got, I got powers, I got guns, and I was like, why why is that at zero? Why? Oh I don't know. Oh no, So hard Lesson learned?
Speaker 4: Which is which was it at night? As well? Was it the last chance that you had during that day to do anything?
Speaker 2: I think I know, so I had one more chance, and I was like, maybe I'll just go around and get some things and then and then I immediately got killed and that was my last life. And I was like, all right, I'm just gonna go to bed because it's twelve thirty. But hard Hard Lesson learned. But that's also what I really like about the game is I feel like every time I die, I'm just I'm learning new things I've been experimenting with, like turning like the objective markers off for things that I haven't like, like the first time I go through an area because I don't want to, Like, I really like that the game does tell you like, hey, here's where the person is, and it certainly helps later on when you have like so many like stray observations and you just need to be like, oh, where's that one building that burned down? Like I just need to go there again, and you can just like click a thing and it tells you where to go. I love that, But the first time I'm going through, I'm trying it with all that stuff off so that I can just sort of like I don't know, like soak in the environment and kind of like poke around and find things out. So like I think like the first quest where you have to find a battery, oh yeah, to turn on that projector the battery is like right to the left. Because I had the objective marker off, I ended up going all the way around the map until like I'll bunker like forty minutes later and like found a battery there, and then I accidentally exploded that battery, and then I spent like another ten minutes searching for a different battery, and I was like, man, wow, this game is intense, Like just finding this one battery and then like I was like, oh, it was right, it was right, It was right, But.
Speaker 1: It doesn't look like a battery in any meaningful, Like I ran past it like two or three times before I realized, oh, it's right there.
Speaker 2: And that is one hundred percent because I specifically turned the objective markers off, because I did this when I was when I tried on PS five and though I switched to PC, I kept the objective marker on and it was like, the battery is right there, idiot. This was supposed to be easy. You weren't supposed to do all that. And I was like, oh, but honestly, I like it was cool, like because I got to explore a part of the map and like see you know, like a hidden rooms and I'm like, oh, like that'll be useful later and kind of like taking those mental notes and yeah, I think just like the the level of freedom the game has in the way it kind of like like seeds, you throughout all these areas in your and you're like kind of putting the pieces together of like, uh, oh, this will be useful later. It feels so masterful, like it should be overwhelming. Uh And it kind of is a little bit, but I think just they do such a smart job of not making it like feel overwhelming, if that makes sense. Yeah, damn good game. Again, I like it a lot, and I really I just want to keep playing it.
Speaker 1: A game you have been playing A lot of though that we can talk about is Lost Judgment.
Speaker 2: How is Judgment? Oh, Lost Judgment. I have a lot of feelings about it, mostly good, couple a little a little negative, but I would say overall it is a fantastic RGG game. If you're like RGG games, if you like Judgment, I think this game will be a fantastic time. Our review already went up by this morning by Richard Wakeling. I cut the video review. Go check it out. It's really good spoiler free. I kept it spoiler free as possible. Something he touched on at the beginning of his review. He spent a lot of time on That's probably my biggest observation is just how damn good the mini games are in this one. That's like kind of the Yakuza series. I would say, like the hallmark that makes it stand out from like other kind of open ended, open world RPG crime games. I don't know, there's there's really nothing like Yakuza, but specifically like the mini just the variety of mini games and Yakuza games are always so impressive, and this one they throw so god damn much at you. There is drone racing.
Speaker 1: There is.
Speaker 2: Like a dancing mini game. There is a a robot like territory controlled minigame. There's a skateboarding mini game. There's a biker minigame. There is the arcade games. They have gone all out. They have a a a like House of the Dead style like un game which was in the first Judgment, but they did like a follow up to it, so it's like they have their own like in Universe House of the Dead style mini game series. They have a ton of really fun obscure mini arcade games this time around. They have like the usual ones that they normally have, like Space Here and stuff, but they have Sonic the Fighters, which is a terrible, terrible fighting game, but God bless them for putting it in. They also have like they have a couple of really good obscure like late era like early two thousands, late nineties, like Seguard Kade, which is a lot of fun. Like I feel like they're really like pulling from their like obscure lexicon of arcade games, which is which is great, and all of them like are fantastic, and they so they surround them all in this school like sub story where Yagami as part of as part of the main quest, Yogamy has to go to this this school to investigate like some bullying, and then that kind of like ends up relating to like the main murder plot. Uh So, in order to stay at the school, he becomes an outside advisor to the Mystery Research Club, which is like a club where this this girl is like I'm going to become a detective and I want to solve mysteries. And so it spans out into this whole like insane subplot where you're trying to find this like mysterious being called the professor who's like corrupting the kids and and like giving them like he has like a website where you can like go on to it and be like I want to get revenge on this person, and then he'll like give you like some illegal thing that like helps them do it. And so he's like he's corrupting the youth, and you have to your job is to stop him. And so as part of that, Yagami has to infiltrate all of these other clubs in the school, So you'll like infiltrate the dancing club and it's got this fantastic like dancing rhythm mini game. It's really funny because so the actor who plays Jagamy is a is a dancer, so like obviously like he can dance really well, and like that is reflected in the choreography. I assume they probably like he maybe helps with it. But in the game, Yagam is like, I can't dance at all, but I do know kung fu. Let me try, and then like he does this like amazing choreo craft dance where he mixes kung fu in there. But what's really fun is it's not just like, oh, you're going in you're just doing mini games. It's they also add in these like pretty well written, heartfelt like storylines into each quest that has I'm gonna say it mad Persona five vibes. They feel like Persona five social links where you're like, okay, I'm going to go through. Each person has like a different like problem and you're kind of helping them out and Yagami's like giving them advice and then you're doing like the minigame and that'll progress the your social link a little bit more each time. Even the music that plays at one point is just has that like same like funky poppy persona energy, And I'm sitting there like, are you guys this is this on purpose? Did you guys? Like you know, go go go a floor over to the Atlas people and be like.
Speaker 1: Hey, can we can we copy your homework?
Speaker 2: Can we copy your homework? Just just a little bit? But it is that has ended up being like, weirdly like the thing I like the most about the game because it is massive. You can devote so much time to this, to these substories, and like they just they don't get old at all, like and it's it's shocking to me how much of it is, like because it's all completely optional. Like there's the introduction to it at the beginning, like as part of the main story, but after that you're like you can completely ignore it. And but you can. I want to say, you can put like a good like twenty hours of this like forty to fifty hour game alone into the school stuff if you want. Wow, which is crazy. I've just been rambling for a hot minute.
Speaker 1: I guess the questions.
Speaker 4: I've never played I've never played a Yakuza game. Judgment. Okay, so would this be a good place to jump in?
Speaker 2: Ah, maybe it's so, I will say, well, okay, so my my requisite as a Yakaza fan, my my like obligated answer is play zero. It's the perfect starting point. Judgment itself. The original judgment is also a good starting point as well. I would say this one is a it's a good starting point in the sense that nothing about that game's previous like main case, comes back into play in this one. It doesn't spoil it even so, like you could kind of play this one without really getting spoiled on what happened in the previous case. And but but I do think that original game does a better job of like introducing the characters and setting them up. I think this game's actually kind of got like a little bit of a rough intro, Like the first hour or two was a little slow, and I was like, I don't know about this, But then like once it gets going, it got a lot better versus the other game, which I the previous judgment, which I thought was like a stronger introduction to the character. So I would say you totally could, like, I think the game does an admirable job of setting it up, but I would still in my heart recommend either starting with the original judgment or if you really want go back, go back in the play yakis zero.
Speaker 1: The thing like a dragon is also a good starting point.
Speaker 2: Like a dragon is also a good starting point until it's not at the end.
Speaker 4: But the thing that I always see people saying about this this series is like, you know, oh, it's this detective game and I spent twenty five hours playing a mini game in a like like, I just yeah, it's such a it's such a bizarre like as someone who has no kind of like context for it, obviously not having played the games, it just seems like such a bizarre series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that mini game, I mean, the one that we also rotten after dark is the Club Club Manager, and that club is so fucking good, Like I just want it as a standalone.
Speaker 2: I think that's the thing is that it's like there are so many mini games in these games that and you're gonna always find like a couple that you like hate, but the game never forces you to play a mini game more than maybe like once if that so, Really, it's just like I think what I like about the games is they just have this like freedom to them where it's like you can really decide how much you you personally want to spend with that stuff. You can absolutely just blow through the main story, do it in twenty hours and have like a good video game experience. But you can also be like, yeah, but I'm going to spend twenty hours at this high school teaching these kids. How do I reach these kids how to read? How do I reach these kids with the power of friendship and being a detective? It's a.
Speaker 4: It does it get on this on the on the yak scale, how you know.
Speaker 2: It gets it gets pretty weird. There's some there's a h there is a dog detective you get who who helps you because he has a he has a nose that can specifically, he's been trained all his life to to smell mysteries.
Speaker 5: And I'm happy.
Speaker 2: To crimes that you can then solve.
Speaker 1: Is he like the sub story detector in this game?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: He is one of many?
Speaker 1: Uh, there's usually they have the they have the the little device that will tell you where sub stories.
Speaker 2: Are, right, Yeah, No, there's multiple. So there's like they have a they have the dog. They have the online social media feed called chatter that also leads you to stuff. Sometimes you just find him on the map. You have the school stuff. Like there are so many different avenues to get side stuff. There is a one objective of there's a series of minigames involving or sorry, of side stories involving a uh uh. It's called the uh I forget his name. He's the Dastardly Detective and he runs the Illegal Detective Agency and he does uh he gives people illegal things to for. He's not really detective, he's just giving people things to do, like crimes. But he's like Yogamy. He's like evil Yogamy and you're like trying to like stop him. That's like a whole series of sub stories you can do. There's uh, there's a whole boxing sub story where you go to this like uh boxing club. That's that's all like you know ex cons who are her you know, just trying to like find a new life and they're finding their outlet through boxing, and Yogamy can box with them. And it's got its own separate like skill menu that you can put points into, and it's got its a whole separate mechanic like it like you'd think like, oh, we'll just take the fighting the normal fighting mechanic and put into the boxing thing like No, they built an entirely separate combat system for this one thing. And you're like, and it's good, You're You're It's like, it's it's insane. How how good all the mini games are at this one? I think like the quality is top tier. Uh, it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: I think the You can read all full review of Last Judgment on games dot com. Richard Waitling reviewed it for us and gave it a seven and said a lot of similar things to what you were saying. Very minigame heavy, a lot of it fun and tries to tackle some heavy themes. Does it okay that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That's the one thing I wanted to touch on was the the the theme so the game. This is where I give like the big warning is that the game uh talks a lot about bullying and sexual battery and it does uh go into that stuff in to to a level that I wasn't expecting, Like you you don't with the with the bullying, they like do show some of it. And so if you were a sensitive to that kind of thing, I think that is absolutely worth knowing going in and maybe like asking or like looking up some spoilers and kind of seeing like if that could uh, you know, be an issue for you. Same with a sexual battery. They don't show anything, but you kind of see like the like security footage aftermath of of a woman getting like groped on a train, you know, which is obviously like a big, a big issue in Japan. And at first I felt like the game was handling both those topics very seriously and in a way that I found to be uh, pretty nuanced. And then there's this there's this like potential plot twists that they kind of seed that starts to undermine some of that, and I was I was sitting there and we were like, oh, game, don't do this. I don't think this is the right way to go, And unfortunately kind of goes in that direction. And I think that there have been some very mixed reactions from from the internet. Is definitely go check out the Polygon review. They did not like that stuff at all and thought it was it ruined the game for them how badly they thought it handled that stuff. So I think people are going to be sensitive to that and and kind of have their own feelings on it. But I really do think that's worth knowing going in because that, to me is like the one sore spot on the game, which is is a real shame because I don't think they needed to go that direction. And overall, I do find the main mystery quite compelling, and you know, like the villain is excellent, and there are some really good good moments, and Yogamy and co are fantastic. But yeah, that's the one thing about the game that kind of kind of sours the experience, not enough for me that I you know, I didn't enjoy my time. I obviously still love it, but I do think that is worth worth knowing going in.
Speaker 1: That's good to know. Well, it's the games out of the way. Let's get those filthy games out of the way. Let's talk about some emotion pictures, shall we. We've a few of us have seen shang Chi, but I'm not going to start with shuang Chi. We're gonna start with White Lotus, Yes, which Chris has been watching.
Speaker 4: Oh guys, you got to watch the White Lettuce. It's a new well, I think it's I don't know if it's new. It came out over the summer. I think a lot of people were talking about it recently. HBO show is on now TV in the UK and it's a limited series of six episodes, but it's since been turned into an anthology series because it's just that good. I am four episodes in and it is one of the best things I've watched in ages. And it's three different groups of kind of wealthy people staying at a luxury Hawaii resort, and it's kind of about the rich people and also the people who work there and have to put up with them and deal with all their kind of rich people issues. So there's like a family with a kind of Sheryl Sandberg mum, a honeymooning couple and their honeymoon gradually gets worse and worse because then kind of piss off the hotel manager. And there's also a woman who is there to scatter her mother's ashes. And she's played by Jennifer Coolidge, who.
Speaker 3: Okay, I was going to ask because I know that she was in it, and she is a fucking love Jennifer coleage.
Speaker 4: She is having the time of her life. Every single scene she's in is either like either you're like covering your face because it's so uncomfortable because of how awkward, or you're just it's just hysterically funny. I just rewatch Succession, and it feels very much cut from the same cloth as that in terms of its kind of this is how the other half live. And in Succession you often get like kind of cutaways of service staff arriving and waiting tables and cleaning up after the roy family after they like smash something up or whatever, whereas in this they're given kind of as much screen time as the rich people and kind of are their own, fully fleshed out characters. And it is. It is genuinely laugh out loud funny in a way that I don't think a lot of shows are, but also has like a kind of dramatic conceit at its core, which I think is really compelling. But it's just so good everyone needs to watch it. The this central the hotel manager is I should have looked at the name of the actor, but he's like this ki Week guy, and he is. He is hysterically funny. He's he's also best best mustache in a TV show, Tony Tell You One.
Speaker 1: I'm calling it wow, calling it like.
Speaker 3: I really want to watch it, obviously, I'm I'm deep in my Sopranos watch and but this does feel like quite a nice a moose bouche a little palate cleanser before Succession series three, which I am very like. I'm not even watching the trailer for it because I'm just so in day one on Succession.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you watch, if you like Succession, you'll I think I love Richard Murray. Murray Bartlett is the name of the if the actor.
Speaker 5: By the way, Mary, I'm going to watch that.
Speaker 1: I'm going to watch that anyways. Shang Chi, what a fucking film.
Speaker 2: Ah, so good.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad that it's good. I was hoping, like I was. I was waiting for them to do a kung fu like martial arts style entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and I was praying that it wasn't Iron Fist. As much as I like Iron Fist as a character, he's wildly problematic as a character. Also, Like goes to a TV shot Yeah, and it was ship it was terrible. But like Iron Fist, Danny Rand's whole thing is like he goes and he like goes to a far off nation of like of people and like becomes the champion white Man appears and captures the abilities of like eternal Dragon, and it suddenly crowned the iron Fist, and I was like, that's not gonna work. I hope they don't use him. And instead they did the right thing and they brought up Shang Chi and now that, like, I'm my favorite thing about it is it's just incredible. It's got so much heart. Like that's what I really love about it. It is a story like Aquafine is amazing in it, similarly is amazing, Michelle Yoh's in it, Gemma Chan's amazing in it. It's got like music by Rich Bryan, who's like amazing. The soundtrack is so good, and like it it reminded me of how much I love like martial arts movies, because that's what I grew up watching, like our resident, like Jackie Chan fan is Kurt, but like I grew up watching like old Bruce Lee movies, loads of Jackie Chan movies, like Western Marshal Arts movies as well on for my sins, I watched a lot of Steven Sagall movies, but like, like I love that stuff, and like, watching this movie reminded me how much I love that, Like seeing that first boss fight on the on the on the bus and like, yeah.
Speaker 3: Also captured the unique fear of being in San Francisco and going down as it fell on a bus when it.
Speaker 5: Just goes over and you think you're on some kind of rollercounts that.
Speaker 2: Like fights breaking out on the on the But.
Speaker 5: No, I was.
Speaker 3: I saw it in forty X because I'm a legend, and that bit went in particular was very very tense.
Speaker 5: I felt very immerse. It was very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, like I think it's like, at the heart of it, it is a story about family and the misguidedness that can come from one like being too attached or like not being present enough, and also like looking away from your duties and what you sacrificed in like looking after yourself instead of preserving your family. To a degree, it comes at the theme of family from so many different angles based on the characters that it's currently like portraying that it's just like a really narratively texted movie. And then on top of all that is just the cool Marvel shit that you want from it. The fight scenes are easily the best fight scenes in any Marvel film, like everyone loves like Civil War, Winter Soldier or whatever it is, which has like it's got good Western fight sequences, which are lots of cutaways and like dramatic things happening. This is like intricate martial arts that it's like beautiful to look at, and it's like such a thrill to see, like the stunts happening and the choreography of the cantor hand combat, and even when it goes into like the slightly more fantastic at the end, it's still got that amazing It goes full anime at the end, and I was like, yes, this is what it's about. This is so good. But yeah, Lucy, you watch it as well. What did you make of it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I fucking loved it. I almost cried at one point because it's so heartfelt. I thought like it was a rare one for me in that every joke landed, which normally never happens in a Marvel movie. And also there's a there's a cameo guests who fucking steals the show that I really really loved.
Speaker 5: But also it.
Speaker 1: Was going into that movie, I was like, I wonder if they'll like reference this character, and they absolutely reference it in a way that I was like, yes, you guys, yeah, I'm sure you can get if you've seen any of the any of the relevant movies to this one you will know. But yeah, it's so glad that he was in it. But yeah, it's just like a really solid film. And I was kind of waning on Marvels. Not waning, but like Black Widow looks absolutely chronic chronically bad.
Speaker 5: I've still.
Speaker 1: I just have No, it doesn't bad, it doesn't look bad. It just looks so bland.
Speaker 6: Like there's only one that's the one thing that I'm like, Rachel periods in it, but like Rachel VISs is the one thing where I'm like, I want to see Rachel Visce doing some shit, but like in all other respects, like it looks very bland.
Speaker 1: I don't care about Black Widow as a character. She's I'm just gonna say she's ship in the main films, Like she's only good when she's like paired up and has a kind of relationship with Bruce or is like doing the Sun's getting real little big guy thing, and you're like, oh, she's got the ability to like keep this monster in like restrained. Outside of that, could not care about Black Widow one bit. You could remove her from the entire franchise, and I think that you wouldn't lose that much like the character. Everyone hates his Clint, but he's more impactful to the Avengers or like every phase of like the MCU movies than Black Widow. Is we all know, yeah that that thing happened in Avengers Infinity War and End Game that in those Black Widow, but like the fact that you happen to her says more about how disposable she is as a character than anyone else. So like, but like watching this movie, I was like, oh, yes, I'm excited about this again. I'm hype for Marvel again in a big, big way and I really want them to just I want I want a shang Chi like two tomorrow if I can have it.
Speaker 5: When I'm very excited for the future.
Speaker 4: When you say about the fight scenes the choreography, are we talking like because for me, the kind of high watermark of that of modern films is like the Raid. Is it kind of that sort of level?
Speaker 1: No, I don't. I don't think it comes to the Raid level because there's a like a there's a brutality and like a raw list to the rave, which is like and it comes a little bit from like the choreography, but it also just comes from how it's shot, right, It's like, yeah, well that's that's the kind of lighting and yes, because like it yeah gone.
Speaker 4: Because like in The Raid, obviously a lot of the kind of the way it's shot is to let fight scenes play out so you can kind of see the choreography right and and get a kind of sense of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like I'm like, similarly is like amazing as shang Chi, but he's athletic, He's clearly super talented as a martial artists, but like Eco Oas is on another level, like he's that man is a killing machine and like his body moves in ways that doesn't seem human and like that's kind of how what those movies hinge on. The kind of like fight sequences in those and there is that also brutality of it where you know they have the knives knives element and like weapons are involved and it is like bone crunching. This is a little more like palatable for mainstream, but it still has the intricacy of it feels like at times it feels like a crouching tiger Hitden dragon style fight sequences. They have that kind of stuff where it's like Chinese cinema like almost like wire stuff where it's got like a majestic quality to it, and then other times some you have some fight sequences that are a little more like Jackie Chan, like in without the humor part of it. There's some human actually, but like it's not like slapstick in the way that Jackie Chan's stuff is to be, but it's got say that same kind of rhythm and like momentum and also like kinetic movement to it, where similarly like a Sean Cheese like moving around environments in a big way. And then it also has the kind of like straight up like channeling some energies kind of stuff like gonna do a cameha baby that kind of stuff. So it's like a bunch of flavors, but like I don't think it comes anywhere close to like the raid levels of like fight by choreography. Yeah yeah, uh, Chris, are you planning to see it? Or Jean? Look? Do you? John look? You watch it right?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I want to see it, but I refuse to go to a movie theater, so I'm waiting for that that Disney plus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm definitely gonna go see it. I think I don't know about San Francisco a bit like I've been to the cinema a few times over here and it's like basically empty every time I go. Yeah, even when even when it's kind of like peak times around where I live. So that's that's really handy. Yeah. No, I definitely am definitely going to go see it at some point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like I had the same experience. I was very nervous about going to the cinema and I went and it was like just empty. It was like me and my younger brother and there were a few people scattered around, a few loud people. I will say, people haven't developed any good cinema decorum in the times since I really wanted to. But it was like a group of girls, and it would have been really awkward if I was like, can you be quiet please, Like.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I live for it. I live for it.
Speaker 3: If you bring out a fucking mobile phone, I'm on you. I give you ten seconds.
Speaker 1: To They weren't. They weren't doing that. They were just like they were like laughing at a joke and then like if it was just laughing at a joke and then ending there, it's fine. But they laughed at a joke and then they laughed at each other, laughing at the joke, and then they'd have like a few comments about the thing, and I'm just like stop, stop, You're like, fucking I don't have that. The other thing was like, if they were nearer to me, I would have been like, can you shut the fuck up? Please, But they were like I would have to have walked across the screening to be like please.
Speaker 4: Friends, I've been with people who have like walked across to do.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 4: One of my one of my friends, went to see Tenant last year and it was just after cinemas had reopened, and he was very excited and he went with his wife. He's like, he's in his thirties. And he sat down and some girls, well some people behind him were talking loudly, and he got progressively more and more angry as like their first kind of half the film went on, and then he turned round like it just had enough. I was just like, shot the fuck up. But like as soon as he turned round and started shouting it, he realized that all the girls were like twelve, and he is like a hairy, thirty three year old man, was children exactly. It was like they didn't say a word afterwards, so I couldn't.
Speaker 1: I couldn't make out how old they were. That was the other thing, Like they sounded really young because I didn't want to run up on them and be like I just screamed a ten year olds.
Speaker 4: And it's like the Simpsons where the guy gets the really tall guy gets out of the tiny car. It's like a you think it's three girls, but it's actually a bodybuild. You think it's three girls, but it's a bodybuilder lying across three seats because he's so big.
Speaker 3: God, I mean, well, the worst one I've ever ever seen, just a flagrant disrespect for other people in a theater was where and we went to fucking go and see Hamilton, and the prick in front of us had a laptop.
Speaker 2: In a show, a live show.
Speaker 3: And I and this was like on the second or third night, because Tam is incredible at getting tickets to things, and so I just I saw Red and I just like tapped him on the shoulder and I was like, I'm sorry, you're recording this or something. Oh, I actually work on the show. And I was like, go work on the show from behind the stage then and he shuts.
Speaker 1: But the thing is like his laptop was like full brightness and he was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean like and.
Speaker 3: He was would have been polite if he hadn't have been so such a prick about it.
Speaker 2: Oh that beats mine.
Speaker 1: Mine was that.
Speaker 2: A like young couple brought their uh I'm pretty sure a three year old and a five year old to the showing of Batman v. Super Man, which was which just made it already bad movie experience ten times worse because the five year old in particular, like could not give less of a ship about what was happening on that movie. Like that movie opens up with like Bruce Wayne's parents getting murdered and like, these kids don't fucking care about that at all, and the five year old was like literally running back and forth through like around the seating, and eventually the the the dad had to like take them out and like leave, and we were like, oh, thank god came back like twenty minutes later, We're like, no, that's when you leave. That's when you're like, uh, Like.
Speaker 5: I had to understand the math a bit.
Speaker 4: I had that a few years ago. But it was Widows, like the Steve McQueen film which opens with Widows, No, there's a guy. There was a guy with like his two kids watching Widows, which opens with an incredibly loud and violent, like fucked robbery that ends with like that ends with a lot of violence. I mean, my friend were just like, this is this is them traumatized for life.
Speaker 3: Wait, not not to not to be like a one upper, but we went to see Hereditary and a guy, oh my god, like eight to ten year old kid and we and the kid looked so bored because obviously herd is such a slow bird and like, I just I remember walking past him as we came in inside out, and I was like, are you serious?
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to talk about the other guy to the right of us, who was like the perfect like mark for every single scary movie. Every reaction he had to the movie was like exaggerated by a million. There was one point where he leapt up off the floor and onto his seat and went, no, my god, relaxed, brought.
Speaker 3: A pint of milk and was just taking it from the bottle to the cinema and I was like a serial killer.
Speaker 1: I think my favorite all time cinema moment, like interrupting moment actually made me laugh. It was like we were. I was in a East London cinema I think I can't remember it was. I think it was bethnal Green or like Stratford at this point, and we were watching one of the Fast and Furious movies. I can't remember which one at this point, but it was one. Inevitably, they have that shot where lady gets out of the car. It was an early one because lady gets out of the car and camera does slow panning over her curvaceous body and framing the car and like the sweat and man and is an Indian man. I only I highlight it it is an Indian man because it's part of this story. It's dead silent while this is happening. There's like just music and then from next to my hair so sexy. I was like, I just burst out laughing. Looked at it. I was like, you little relaxed. Anyways, if you've got any memorable cinema going experiences, please send them in. We're not gonna do emails today, but we will do and you can send us your cinema experiences to after Dark podcast at GameSpot dot com, or you can help myself for Lucy to join the discord. I've got a bit of a backlog on admitting people into the discord. I say a bit of a backlog. It's like three people that I can do in like five minutes, but it's very busy and we will read any notable ones out. They could be good cinema going experiences, or there can be ones where you've absolutely popped off at people for being loud. In the meantime, John, Look, where can people find you and what you're up to?
Speaker 2: You can find me at Tomic Sipeke on Twitter. Go check out Boss Judgment review. Like I mentioned earlier, Pretty proud of that edit. I think it's it's a good game, and otherwise I'm gonna be doing stuff nice. I love stuff, Yeah, I love Stuff's great.
Speaker 1: Lucy, where can people find you and what you're up to?
Speaker 3: I'm on Twitter at Lucy James Games. I'm at work stuff. I don't know what I'm doing very online shows. Taking a break this week, but we'll be back next week. And I'm on Twitch now at Lucy.
Speaker 5: James Games there as well. You're not at on Twitch, are you?
Speaker 1: You're just you're a slash Chris. Were you at what you've been doing?
Speaker 4: You can find me at Chris Morris nine to one on Twitter. Like we said earlier, Expert Reacts live this Saturday. Where I say live, I mean it's going live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: It's not live.
Speaker 4: That'd be exciting though, And I'll be doing some more videos that I can't really talk.
Speaker 2: About right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love how Old.
Speaker 4: Just working on video, coming up to coming up to embargo season. Isn't it serious? Embargo?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: For me. You can find me on Twitter to more H. I am also working on stuff. Read my review death Loop on GameSpot dot com and you can find me on twitch twitch dot tv for slash to more H. I'm currently playing Hades. Good game, good fun game. And I'm also like getting angry at Twitter. I g n's brackets. That's what I did yesterday. They were like best game of all time, Brackets, let's do it, and I was like, I'm gonna do my own one. And it ended in heartbreak. I had to make some absolutely devastating cut yesterday.
Speaker 5: It was heartbreaking watching you some of that.
Speaker 1: It was rough, but yeah, you can see that on twitch and we will see you next week. Goodbye. Frump.
Speaker 2: Don't trunk, don't trank, don't trumping