Speaker 1: But eight, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety, Holy crap, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know who the hell we think when we are getting off our show, idiot.
Speaker 3: The kids are playing or trail off their countries.
Speaker 2: Are screwing it up.
Speaker 3: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 4: I'd say since a little bit under a year ago, right about maybe eleven eleven and a half months ago, since that moment until now, we've had moments as Louisville basketball fans where you start to feel alive again.
Speaker 3: You start to.
Speaker 4: Get that feeling of you know, able to care and not be miserable. And I think last night was like the full moment because in the first half I started to think, you know, maybe maybe things were better whenever we were dead and we didn't, we didn't have any emotion attached to what March can do to us. I mean March madness, postseason success for your team. It's it's the best of both worlds. It's awesome, but like when it's not going well. It put me in a place that I didn't miss kind of forgot how awful it is to be watching your team play postseason basketball and you know, have that feeling, and I know many of you listening had that feeling, and then you know you didn't. And the feeling was maybe the best feeling I've had in a long long time.
Speaker 3: And uh, what a what a fun ride. It has continued to be.
Speaker 2: Five to shoot.
Speaker 1: Five for the game, Edwards, don't fail missed it, three pound talks Pard.
Speaker 4: I still don't understand why there was an uncontrollable, uncontrollable urge just to say no, no, no, bye bye, Crispin. But anyways, welcome and everybody, Happy Friday, Happy game Day. It's coffee and company fueled byth Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: What a night it was.
Speaker 4: We'll certainly talk a lot about that and everything else. I mean, it's been a crazy last couple of days when it comes to college hoops, and we've already got some good games underway right now. I think some of them have already concluded. But you know, for me, it's just this is I don't know, I mean, I last night was great as far as you know how it ended. And I guess had we just kind of cruised to a victory, still would have been fun. But man, did they make it interesting. And if you were if you wanted the thrill of what last Night can do, you got that again. The sadness early on was was a real reminder of what it's like to again watch your team struggle in that moment. But I mean, today Louisville's playing Clemson and I feel like they're playing in a national championship game and all this is is the semi finals of the ACC Tournament for a chance to get to the ACC Championship tomorrow.
Speaker 3: And I mean, I just it's.
Speaker 4: It to go back to what I said at the very beginning of the show three and a half four minutes ago, just there's emotion that's coming back. Feelings that you get, you know, when you're obsessed with this stuff like we are, that I don't really recognize maybe just because we were you know, we were dead. We were numb to all of this for so long that you know, when you experience something like this, when it's been this long without it and given just what it is, you kind of feel it like the first time.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like I'm playing in a game tonight. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know what I'm saying, Like to have those nerves about a postseason game, I mean, it's awesome, but I need to keep reminding myself like this is, this is.
Speaker 3: I mean, if they win tonight, they'll play tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I mean, like, I don't know if I'm I don't know if I'm prepared emotionally, Austin to handle what we've potentially got over these next next week or so. I mean, look, tonight, we'll see what happens. We'll certainly talk a lot about the game, but then next week, you know, the NAA Tournament. I hope this thing lasts for a long long time. But I just I'm still feeling the effects of everything that came with yesterday, and I kind of love it again.
Speaker 3: I feel alive.
Speaker 5: Brother, I am actually like I literally forgot what that felt like. I forgot And sometimes I get like a diet version of that, just because like you know, when you bet on something, you have like that sort of like emotional attachment when you got wagers on the game, but just nothing like when it's your team, what you're like a die hard over and it was just like I mean, sure was thrilling. Thrilling was I guess the word of the day because it didn't look good, you know, and you know I was. I was hitting you with the panic text yesterday.
Speaker 6: Brother.
Speaker 5: We were going back and forth with it to pull the old walk the dog trick because I'm not watching this, and then usually what happens, Like I said, I've only had to pull that trick out once a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: When it works, we don't have to do it again.
Speaker 5: I hope that that's not the superstition, because I'd like to watch the game, so I don't.
Speaker 4: I mean, the power of positivity, that's up for debate a subjective as far as you know who believes in any anything like that. But because of how much I really love this team and want them so badly to keep playing, because I don't want this ride to end, you know, I mean, I typically would be all right, well, you know, gloom is doom. There's you know, there's no chance that this is over. And it certainly looked like it was gonna. I thought it was gonna get uglier than it was. They were down fifteen, But my point is this time around, I don't know if it's maybe maturity for me, or if it's growth, or if it's just because this team is different and it's special. But I never I mean, I didn't feel great about it, but I didn't go to the to the to the lowest that I've been before when it comes to just assuming, you know, assuming the worst, and I guess, you know, hope for the best. Like I didn't feel good about it, but with this group, you kind of feel like they're always gonna continue to fight, and that's exactly what they did.
Speaker 3: So again, we'll certainly get you set for a big weekend.
Speaker 4: Obviously a lot of college basketball and hopefully Louisville is still playing tomorrow night. Obviously Kentucky would to win for them. Last night, I mean, March is back, just an absolute choke job down the stretch only to then be bailed out by Otega Away. Who is I mean, I said it a couple of weeks ago, and I don't think anybody really was.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't remember there being a whole lot.
Speaker 4: Of pushback for it, But to me, it just felt like, why is there so much talk about Jackson Robinson and Lamont Butler good players, and clearly they're talked about because of the uncertainty if they're gonna be able to play because of the injuries they've had. But Otika Away has been Kentucky's most valuable player, like the one guy they can't live without all year and last night, I mean, how about it. I mean, that guy's insane, and this is something that's low key like this. When I think about it, I'm like, damn, that's insane.
Speaker 3: That is impressive. That's that's something you see in a movie.
Speaker 4: But then when I say it out loud, it doesn't have the same effect. It's like it's like it's maybe not as impressive as I think it is. But to go against your former team to transfer and then beat them in both games at the buzzer, that's I mean, does that not? I mean, again, it doesn't sound that crazy, but there's no way that's happened before. I mean long ago. You couldn't really transfer and then play right away. So anyways, I mean, what a finish for Kentucky. I think they're as vulnerable as as they've ever been. But I mean, Mark Pope, last night's just one of the many games his team when it just doesn't look good and it looks like it's about to be you know, not only a bad result, but like maybe maybe they're about to you know, implode or something. They they they hang they hang in, found a way to win. That's what they did last night. But I mean, with Kentucky being in Nashville, obviously it was a home court for them last night. It will be tonight as well. But you know, they were they were fortunate to win, right So I still feel like their home court advantage and the way they can play is is gonna give them a boost to where I felt like before yesterday that that Auburn is a team that that may struggle against Kentucky just because of what that environment is. And Auburn has or not Auburn, but Alabama, I'm sorry, Alabama that has nothing to really play for here because they're there. They're set as a two, and I guess maybe they could play for a one. But what I'm getting at is that could still all happen. But after watching them last night and just seeing you know, an Oklahoma team that's not very good certainly got some you know, a couple of really good players, fears is amazing. But you know, like Alabama's just a lot better than Kentucky, and they're they don't have Butler, they don't have Robinson, and again, it's just setting up to what it's it's setting up tonight to be a similar situation they've been in many times this year where you go backs against the wall, gonna be really tough. You know, they're shorthanded, teams are team. The team they're playing is really good. Man, They've done a good job at this point, but I don't know about it. And I feel like more often than not, when they've been in that situation like they are to night, they mess around and win a game. So I just think Bama is a much better team given the Kentucky's injured in Bama's Bama.
Speaker 3: But we shall see.
Speaker 4: But anyways, let's get back to last night, because you know one thing I said for I mean probably probably said it something something like it or something close to it, maybe every day on this show since we've talked to love of basketball, really since they've put themselves in a position where you felt like, Okay.
Speaker 3: They're gonna be a tournament team.
Speaker 4: And you know, even when they've not played well, they nearly lost some games. They did lose to Georgia Tech. You know, it never to me was because they they weren't themselves.
Speaker 3: It's just things weren't.
Speaker 4: You know, they got out of sorts against Virginia Tech on the road, and we're making some mistakes that you don't typically see. But you know, they came out and were up eleven, nothing like. It wasn't as if they came out and were a different team and they didn't show up and they were you know, they were scared and they weren't ready, and sure enough last night that happened. I mean, I don't I hate using the word like scared because that's it's a there's no way to say say somebody is scared and it not sound like you're saying something personal about them and you have no way of knowing. But they just seemed more complacent. There wasn't as much of there wasn't as much urgency, and they were just passive guys, you know, I mean again, it's well, first of all, let me credit Stanford Standard did a pretty good job making adjustments defensively to where you know, they you know, they realized who was a threat to do what for Louisville, and they took that away as best they could. They did a good job on the pick and roll. That of course led to Reynaud finding himself in foul trouble, but they were willing to take that risk.
Speaker 3: So credit to Stanford.
Speaker 4: I thought their coach did a pretty good job of, you know, countering from what he saw against Louisville just a few days ago.
Speaker 3: But Louisville was.
Speaker 4: A factor too, because again, you know, Terrence Edwards was his usual self, that guy. I don't know if there's ever been a moment in his life where he's not comfortable being aggressive and trying to score the basketball, and he is really kind of coming to it. He's been great all year, but when they've needed some buckets, really since rain's been out, and I feel like, honestly, for the most part of the entire season, he's been able to go get it.
Speaker 3: And I've said this for a while.
Speaker 4: Everything works out for Louisville, meaning their offense in Terrence in general, when he stays aggressive, even if he's missing shots, if he starts one of seven, if he stays aggressive, that is good for everybody because eventually shots are going to fall for him. He's gonna get to the free throw line. And when he's aggressive, you know that that just keeps the opponent. When Terrence is going downhill and he's you know, turning, turning, what looks to be just you know, not a whole lot to him slowly but surely maneuvering his way down near the rim. Rather it be him using his rear end or him just being shifty with change of pace like he is.
Speaker 3: But like that keeps it.
Speaker 4: When he's doing that and he's operating, that keeps the defense on their heels to where you know, in any given moment, like you know, there's two guys on the floor that that I you know, Rain Smith clearly is somebody that is such a such a weapon and the opponent always has to account for him that it's gonna it's gonna open some things up for other guys. But I think the way Terrence plays as well, you've got guys offensively that find themselves in great spots because you can never really if Terrence Edwards has the ball in his hands, you can't really take a playoff. I mean, you guess you could say the same thing about Chucky. But anyways, Terrence Edwards was great in the first half, and then obviously Noah Waterman for him to double his point per game total at halftime. I mean, if that doesn't happen, Louisville's down probably twenty at halftime, which is crazy to think about.
Speaker 3: Noah Waterman.
Speaker 4: What a moment for him to at least just you know, finally start to get a little bit more comfortable in the last few games, have a big first half, you know, made some place to help you win that game. Also, if he doesn't help you beat Eastern Kentucky, who knows.
Speaker 3: What we're doing right now.
Speaker 4: So in a weird way, Noah Waterman has kind of been a kind of been a savior for this group. And that speaks to everybody playing a role that is valuable and it may not be you know, like, for example, nobody's getting the same love that Chucky is getting nationally, and that's because Chucky's phenomenal. It's a legitimate All American player And how about last night?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: So Chucky gets all the love, But there's other guys that men their role is important and they bring it every night. And that's Terrence Edwards. I mean, even James Scott who I've never loved a guy more because I can tell he plays his ass off, he plays so hard, is so selfless, doesn't care about anything but winning, will do anything. I mean, I can tell when Pat Keolsey talks about coaching James Scott that he cherishes these years coaching this guy because he's he's so coachable. And again he's a good dude. But when he has the ball offensively and he's not dunking, I have a panic attack. I mean, love him, but he's so bad offensively if he's not dunking, has terrible angles underneath the rims. No, doesn't seem to have a very good touch. He's not a great you know, he's not a great free throw shooter by any means. So he's still But with all that said, he's still, you know, is phenomenal defensively most of the time. He's really good late when it comes to just being there right place, right time, not getting out work by somebody. So love all these guys and they're all really important. But back to the beginning of last night. Outside of Noahen Terrence, I mean Chucky, you know, he was just missing some shots. I don't think he played poorly, but I didn't necessarily get the sense of urgency and really just you know, like he took as much initiative as you typically see him. And then with javaon, I mean, I don't know if it was I mean, he just kind of was out there, right. He didn't didn't have a good first I mean, I don't even think he had a really good game. But you know, what it comes down to is I think it was a reminder that they're human, you know, regardless of this team's approach that they've i think been able to really maintain throughout the entire season, and it's probably a lot harder than we realize. Is that absolutely taking the same game to every approach, not you know, not thinking about the next game or the game after that, or thinking about the postseason or the NCAA tournament resume, and just focusing on who you're playing, keeping that, you know, keeping keeping the focus, and not you know, not not getting complacent. I think they've done a really really good job at that, and I think yesterday they weren't complacent because of the opponent.
Speaker 3: But I'm just gonna.
Speaker 4: Guess that they were a little bit tight and dare I say just I don't want to say nervous, but just not as comfortable as we typically see. And it wasn't because they were imploding. It's just they weren't themselves. And what a story we hear after the game that when it got when it got bad. I mean I remember. I kind of feel like I'm always gonna remember the time out when it got down fifteen, because I can't be the only one who thought to myself, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Sure i've ever or or ever thought we would see this group.
Speaker 4: Get a time out. You need a time out to kind of get their ashtewed, you know what I mean. Like that's even when they've not played well and they've had bad stretches and certainly they've lost games. You know, it wasn't because of what we were seeing early on in the second half, like they were just kind of you know, they were just kind of tight, and that timeout happens, and the coach doesn't say a word nothing. It's just the players collectively realizing, all right, let's let's let's not let's not go out like this. We're gonna win this game. And Chucky told his team we're gonna win this game. And I kind of you know, I didn't none of us knew at the time that he said it. But now that we see it happen the way that it did, I mean, it's a beautiful fate. But also who knows what happens. But I kind of feel like when I watched Louisville play Chucky, Hepburns is not gonna let us lose.
Speaker 3: I mean again, it's.
Speaker 4: Not as if he's got years of repetition of bailing us out. But you can just sense. I mean, he's when he's got his confidence rolling. I mean, he's dangerous and what's crazy. I mean, Austin, you did you did up seeing the end of the game, right, like, I know you went on your walk, you watched on your phone, I'm sure, right.
Speaker 3: But you stayed with the dog. Ye yeah, you just didn't go back in the house.
Speaker 5: Well got did not touch that for saken inside the house, just pulled it up on Hulu want.
Speaker 4: And that's one of the reasons why I think we won is because you you were you were self disciplined when it comes to that. But right before, you know, the late not a great no rhythm. I mean, I know, I don't fault edwards for the shot but obviously he didn't get a clean look at it, and then it you know, we know how it played out from there. Right before all that, Chucky committed one of the worst turns over you'll ever see from.
Speaker 3: A senior point guard.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean that was as uncharacteristic of a play from Chucky hepburn in that moment that I can think of. But he's just wired different, as the kids say, he's built different. Because you know, I don't mean the fact that he was just right there right time comfort like so many guys would have would have shot that like a cannon right because they would have been realized, there's no way this is happening. And I don't want to act like the shot he made is something that only you know, legends of the game of basketball could make.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 4: It was a very easy shot, you know in most situations, but that situation was crazy. I think most people would have just they would have jumped weird. They would have had you know, it was like they would have had ants in their pants while they shot it.
Speaker 3: That's right, I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: So you know, he's he's calm and cool, and he doesn't waiver. He's gonna make mistakes, and again he made a big one last night. And trust me, I don't bring that up to say, you know, let's not forget he also screwed up. That is not at all what I mean. In fact, what I'm saying is that it's a reminder that these guys never get too high or low. I mean, they were getting pretty high and I was, I mean I was ready to just go ahead and start celebrating when they were up eight and then all of a sudden, you know it, it went away. So what a wild, wild evening for both teams locally because Louisville. I mean, I guess you could say it would have been a choke job had they lost that game with that and one and like that was it and they had to come to Like if let's say, let's say that free throw put them up one, I mean at that point, your last shot would have been a desperation shot and you miss it and you lose. I think that would have been one of the worst ways ever because yeah, you came back, but then you choked again, like then you choked it away. Like that would have been maybe the I haven't even tried to process what that would have felt like because God, that would have been painful. But it didn't happen, and that's amazing. Same thing for Kentucky. They've got a lead on Oklahoma, they're about to put it away. They absolutely choke it away and I mean give up the lead and sure enough they you know, make It's.
Speaker 3: Just it's just a wild and I mean a while old wild.
Speaker 4: Thing to think about when it comes to these two fan bases in this state, in this market, who care about their programs as much, if not more than anybody else, right, And last night things played out at the end the exact same way for both teams. And just consider this the joy that you got from watching Chucky Hepburn do that. I mean again, it makes you feel alive. This is what's sad. My wife made this point last night. There are fans that are probably you know, young adults then aren't even old enough to remember, meaning they don't they've probably never experienced, you know, like.
Speaker 3: They hit fan puberty, right, they grew up a little bit.
Speaker 4: They probably last night created the first of hopefully many moments where you see that kind of thing happen. And again, it's in March, it's in the postseason. So again, think about how awesome that felt. Same thing for Kentucky fans when it comes to watching Otaga away go coast to coast, when you feel like you just choked the game away and get the get the bucket at the buzzard to win. I mean again, the high you get from that, I mean, it's what crack addicts are made for. But think about the opposite. Think if you just fell short there, Oha doesn't make it. Let's say again, instead of it playing out the way that it did that and one for for club for Stanford would have would have would have beat you. I mean, think about how down in the dumps we'd be. We'd be we I mean, we would be beyond miserable. Because again, that's what March postseason basketball does to you when you lose. And if it would have been in that fashion, it would have been insane. But instead you get the you get to experience the same effect, but it's on the complete opposite side. Instead of just pure hell in agony, you get you get pure joy. I mean, it's like I mean, it's it's it's probably better than sex. I mean, I don't know what kind of sex you guys are having on me like a It's just I mean, like I can't. I can't think of things that have felt I can't think of things that have felt better.
Speaker 3: You're waiting for marriage, aren't you.
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you guys are. I know you guys are gonna be married soon.
Speaker 6: Chastity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let me let me know if you need if you need any uh you know, some chips. Yeah, I can send video, I can, I can have you the old I can have the old talk with you. Whold birds and the bees. Just want to make sure you know what you're doing. So you're an experienced sex have her yep, two times.
Speaker 3: Sex have your two kids, baby, that's right.
Speaker 4: I think that's been probably my most uh my most viewed tweet ever with somebody was it was random as hell that it popped off like that. But somebody you know insulted me and you know, called me names because sometimes people do that on the internet.
Speaker 3: You guys won't believe it.
Speaker 4: But uh and then they said I was a virgin, like they just threw among the tenth among the ten things said to insult me. I think they said I look like it. I looked like I was conceived by a beaver and a bald, lesbian or something.
Speaker 3: It was real. It was real graphic and uh but then.
Speaker 4: They included that I was a virgin too, and then I was like, yeah, jokes on you pal two kids, maybe two times sex have her.
Speaker 3: It's a good feather in your cap.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, look, I don't want to brag, but it's just the truth. But anyways, quick break, we'll get you caught up on what's going on across the country. A lot of games going on right now, as Auburn did survival miss sixty two to fifty seven. That I mean Auburn. I don't have any issue with anybody claiming they're the best team and that they're the deserving favorite to win it all. But the more I watch them, maybe I'm just not realizing how good the SEC is. But like, I don't know if they're like if they lose early, I'm not going to be totally stunned.
Speaker 3: I mean, anyways, we'll talk more about a lot of things. Stick around. It's game day.
Speaker 4: It is coffee and Company, and we are feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: All right, So Clemson one and a half point favorites tonight, which this is the first time Louisville's been an underdog in quite some time. I think the last game they were underdog was when they went to SMU and obviously I think they were up forty point in that game. And Kentucky tonight they are seven and a half point underdogs to Alabama. A little bit surprised by that line for both sides. Honestly, you know, with Louisville, I I mean, I'd say Clemson is the deserving favorite, So you know, maybe I.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't be surprised, but.
Speaker 4: Louisville has has already beat them now again, it is worth mentioning that tonight you get another win here.
Speaker 3: Clearly that gives you two of what is.
Speaker 4: Already your best win on your resume, but it would actually end up being the best win because technically beating Clemson now in a neutral site would be would be considered a tougher thing than beating them on your home court. So you have a chance tonight. Again, It's it's not much, but it's something, right. I talk a lot about, you know, a little value, and in these wins and look, they would they Clemson was always going to be a win that would help them. But it just kind of felt a little bit flat knowing that when you were talking about two really good wins for a lot of people would wonder how good those wins actually are. And then if it's the same team, I don't know many Again, you'd rather have it than the loss. But for what it's worth, Tonight in March postseason play, Louisville technically could get their biggest win of the season so far, which again is saying a lot about their schedule, but nonetheless, one thing that did end up at least as of now, helping Louisville is quad one wins. You're gonna hear a lot about it, and it's the most valuable when you can get. There are like three First of all, there's four quads, but there's like three different what would be smaller than a quad, there's three different sections tiers of the quad one wins because summer try, yes, somebody, some of them are really valuable, others are not as valuable. So for example, like you want to have as many of these as you can, you would absolutely want it to be quad one and not quad two, that's a no brainer. But with Oklahoma finishing at number fifty today, I'm sorry, now Oklahoma West Virginia finishing at number fifty at least as of now, that is a quad one win for Louisville. If they fall to fifty one, which they were yesterday, that is a that is a quad two win, which again one and two. We know there's a difference and there's value. But I do think the committee will use their brain and look at hey, if you've got, like, for example, if you've got six quad one wins, which Lowell doesn't, and five of them are in that range, right, like you beat teams on the road that are ranked between fifty and seventy five because those are quad ones technically, So like if you know ninety percent of your quad ones are that, I mean, you still like to have those numbers, But I just think you can't. I mean, there's just no way anybody's gonna look at it the exact same. They're gonna look deeper than just seeing that it's either quad win or quad two. But if you're somebody that has the same record in quad one games, but yet your quad ones, five of your quad ones have come.
Speaker 3: Against top twenty teams.
Speaker 4: You're talking about different sides of the bracket potentially, meaning like different sides of the you know, the seeds. So I don't think it's again you'd rather have it, but I just don't think in at the end of the day, no matter what plays out from now until selection Sunday, which of course is only a couple days away. You know, your win against Indiana and your win against West Virginia, let's hope they fall.
Speaker 3: The quad one.
Speaker 4: But I think we all know what those are. The good they're not bad wins. It's just you know, and that's why if you're gonna end up playing Duke, I mean, the quadrant system, the net rankings, they don't know that Cooper Flag's not going to play right, so you know it'll it'll definitely help you on the resume. Look, I'm not even ready to go there. Yeah, because Louis has got to get past Clemson the night and obviously that'll be a that'll be a tough game. And I remember being at this game. This was the family night when louisll play Clemson. Earlier this year, it was me, the kidd, ohs, my wife in Austin, and it was the Hadley game. I mean, he put up thirty four I believe it was in that game, and it was just kind of, you know, Louisville had, you know, everybody I feel like, playing solid, but no double figures from either Terrence Edwards or Chucky Hepburn in that game. Louisville was still able to win by double digits against a good Clemson team, and again, part of that is because of Javon Hadley just having the game of his life and recreating that. As far as production, that's going to be pretty difficult for sure. But I do like this game for him because, to be honest with you, Clemson has a lot of guys that, you know, I feel like, play like Java. I shouldn't say a lot of guys, but they've got a couple of bigs that are kind of hybrid like like Javon is, but they're not as athletic as Javon. I mean, for example, and by the way, this guy Ian Scheifflan really good player. I mean he's averaging non rebounds a game. I think he's leading the acc and rebounds are close to it. He's also given you twelve so and him and Javan are somewhat statistically similar, and he's really good rebounder. Probably not there's probably better rebounder than Javon, but Javon has the ability to step outside more so than other guys that are going to be matched up against him and potentially take advantage. So I don't know if you know Hadley played poorly last night. I mean, I don't think you played good any means, but you know, he just needs to be aggressive when he's an option. Like Rain Smith is clearly a weapon, and we don't have him to night, which sounds like Wolves is not going to have him in Charlotte at all. But anyways, when Rain's out there, you know he's a weapon because he can flip a game in an instant if he gets hot from three. Chucky, hepburnt, disrupted defensively and clearly just a great All American caliber player that is going to give you problems in many ways. Terrence Edwards just a volume score, a guy that you know, if he stays aggressive, you might get a couple of stops, but he's gonna keep coming and he's probably gonna finish between fifteen and twenty five a night. So those guys, you know, those are real strengths when you think about, all right, this guy does this well, this guy does a lot of things well, this guy does that well. But with Javon, he's also kind of in that he can do a little bit of everything. He's good enough defender, he can shoot it a little bit. Obviously, he rebounds well. But like when he's got I feel like he's the real like he's the last topping on the pizza that takes it from being a pretty good pizza. Do you thinking like, damn, this is perfect because you know he's been consistent. His numbers are solid. He's about eleven twelve points per game, seven and a half boards. But when he does step above his average production wise, it usually means that everybody, you know, the other guys have become a real focal point for the opponent because man Rain's hot or you know, Chucky's got it, Roland or Terrence, one of them usually is having a night scoring more often than not. So when those things are happening and there's not as much attention on Javon, that's when he can really take advantage. So I kind of feel like, you know, not to I'm not just saying this because he put up thirty plus against him last time. But I do feel like this is a this is a it's a matchup for him where he could really really have a night. Now, just to clarify, I will say this, I'll admit to you guys when I'm an idiot, and I probably do that every day when I start the show and just start yapping. But I didn't realize there were two Hunters on Clemson. Did you know that Austin No. I know Chase Hunter because he's a first team All acc guy, a senior sixteen points a game. I did not realize that that there's another Hunter that is it his brother? I think it might be, so my dad, I'll I'll give shout out to him. Pops Mark Coffee is the one who informed me. He's the insider of the family when it comes to keeping up with, you know, the opponent. He's got the scout for this one because I thought that there's just one Hunter, But there's a second Hunter named Dylan Hunter, and he is his brother and he's the one who's hurt. He So when I heard last night that there was a you know, Hunter had a broken hand, and clearly Brad brown Well was gonna be you know, was having a tough time talking about it because of the emotions that come with losing a guy. And I think Brad ben Will actually said we're pretty sure he broke his hand. I'm thinking, oh crap, that makes like Clemson much more easy to get because that's their best player. Turns out it's his brother who does play, but he's only averaging five points a game. So the more dangerous of the two Hunter brothers is still out there and he's their best player sixteen points a night again, first team all acc So we should have a real good matchup between the guards to night, between Chucky and Fat as well as a Hunter and Zachary who's not as much of a scorer but really just a good defender, smart veteran and guard. So anyways, what a night last night. Will continue to relive that if you want. I mean, I'm ready for tonight. But last night we haven't had a moment like that in a long time, and damn it, it feels good. All right, stick around, It's coffee and company. Feel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: That's right coffee and company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for hanging out with us here on a beautiful at least it's beautiful right now. I think we've got some other weather coming our way. But the vibe is beautiful when it comes to basketball, because what a what a moment last night. I mean, it looked like it was about to be a reminder of how painful march can be when you're in that situation and something like that happens. But chuck you Hepburn saves today and Louisville moves on. We'll talk more about that throughout the show today. Get you set for all the games tonight this weekend, best time of the year. But joining us now is a former colleague of ours, a good friend of ours. He's Jeff Milby. Used to hear him on these airwaves through at iHeart Media. Now you hear him calling the games for the soccer clubs around here. Joining us and talk some racing Louisville soccer.
Speaker 3: What's up, Jeff? How we doing? Brother house life?
Speaker 7: Things are good, Nick, things are good. Glad to be with you. Yeah, I swapped in the early morning wake up call to go do the news over on eight forty to hang out at the soccer stadium every couple of Saturdays. So it's you know, I miss it over there, But tell you what, I don't miss the three forty five alarm every day.
Speaker 3: I'm sure.
Speaker 4: I'm sure that's something you will never ever miss. And I know you're super passionate about soccer and have been have been involved with with with racing the lou and Louisville City FC here the last few years. So tonight or tomorrow, I'm sorry, they've got the home opener coming up before we get into to the match tomorrow and whatnot and getting the season started when it comes to coming off of last year obviously another year where the club missed out on the postseason. Just kind of for those who hear that and think, man, the team has had a tough time kind of getting things going. They've yet to break through and make the postseason. Is it more so just the part of the process. Whenever you know you launched, I mean, this is still a baby in the grand scheme of things, or has there been some movements made throughout the club that you know you feel like now you know they're in a better direction than they were previously.
Speaker 7: Yeah, certainly, I think they definitely are in a better direction than they were previously. And look, it is part of the territory. They were an expansion team just a few years ago in twenty twenty one. I mean, you look at any other professional sport, the expansion team doesn't succeed right away in most cases in.
Speaker 3: A way, you get a cut your team.
Speaker 6: We're an expansion team. That's right.
Speaker 7: You've got to cut your teeth and racing louisvill has certainly been cutting their teeth. But they're right there. They were right there last year. Nick, I'm telling you, ninth place, the top eight make the playoffs. If they had one tie become a win or two ties become a win, they would have been in the playoffs safely last year. And this is a team that has as much talent as they need to make the playoffs. If anything, the argument is maybe that they underperformed a little bit last year.
Speaker 6: First year head coach for.
Speaker 7: Beban Z, She's grown, she's learned, She's talked a lot about the self reflection that I went through in the offseason, learning from her first year as a head coach and now year two under her, They've got a bright, young core of players. They've added a group of really talented rookies in the offseason that will hopefully push this team a little bit forward. And yeah, if they can just turn one or two ties that they had last year into wins this season, they will be securely in the playoffs. And once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen. We're talking here and you're talking about March madness and the wild things that we had happened last night across the country in both the U of L and the UK game. Well, when Racing Louwell finally does break through into those playoffs, anything can happen in this league, especially because parody is the number one factor in the National Women's Soccer League. So certainly, coming into twenty twenty five, the expectation is playoffs.
Speaker 6: The goal is playoffs.
Speaker 7: And I think that is absolutely a reasonable thing for anybody who maybe isn't totally plugged in to expect from this group, given the talent that they have. Talking about players like Mscars, I mean, over the off season, she had a huge offseason. She was a rookie last year out of Ohio, broke onto the scene. Wasn't really expected to do a whole lot as the second round pick, but broke onto the scene and was tied to the team lead and goals with five last year, and then got called up to the US women's national team multiple times toward the end of last year and then through the offseason when they've played in tournaments and in exhibition games. So she's now a national star. She's burst onto the national stage as a US women's national team player, starting games for them as well. So she's just one example of a player that coming into twenty twenty five could just take a few steps forward and that's all this team needs to push them into the playoff field.
Speaker 4: Jeff Milby's our guest joining us here talking some Racing Louisville soccer. The home opener tomorrow is against the North Carolina Courage. What do we expect from the first opponent here as we get the new campaign started.
Speaker 6: Well, look, it's going to be a difficult test. Nick.
Speaker 7: North Carolina's a team that's given Racing Louisville a lot of trouble over the years. They've met eleven times. Racing has only been able to win one of those meetings, and North Carolina has won all other ten. There weren't any ties and any times that they've met, so it's been a team that's kind of had Racing Louisville's number, and they had an eventual offseason as well. They brought in a brand new player to them. Her name is Jaden Shaw. She's another US women's national team star, big deal within the league, a headline making deal within the league to acquire her via trade from San Diego in.
Speaker 6: The off season.
Speaker 7: She's a forward and attacking player, a dangerous player. So that Racing Louisville back line, which is still trying to kind of find itself coming into twenty twenty five, they've had some changes back there and they're still trying to figure out who their best back four is coming into the year, They're going to have their hands full with Jaden Shaw. But in terms of the rest of the team, I think pound for pound, Racing Louisvill's probably got a little bit more talented North Carolina maybe a side from the back line in that matchup with Jade and Shaw, So it should be a really intriguing battle. And what I'll tell you, Nick is this Racing Louisville team this year, they are going to ramp up the intensity. That is the new strategy for Bevan as the head coach. They are going to be a team that runs, runs, runs, and works hard. It's going to be a press that they are going to install as the main strategy this year. So think about a full court press like a Rick Patino era.
Speaker 6: A full court press. That's what this.
Speaker 7: Team is going to try and emulate on the soccer field. So it's going to be intense. Hopefully they can turn the opposition over in this case, North Carolina turned them over in their half of the field and generate some quick, easy goal scoring opportunities. That's going to be the recipe for success this year for this Racing Louisville team.
Speaker 4: Well, obviously winning is what fans pay attention to most, but if you can play a competitive, a hard playing style, and we learned that around here with Pat Kelsey. Obviously winning has been the biggest factor in fans getting excited feeling alive again. But these guys playing hard, playing a fast, exciting style that has certainly helped things along the way. So tomorrow at day five o'clock, for those unaware they're going to be debuting some new kits. Also green beer in honor of Saint Patrick's Day. The green beer taste the same as non green beer, but for some reason people seem to enjoy it even more and drink more of it, So it should be some good vibes out there at at Lynn Family Stadium. Now, speaking of the fan, obviously, as we discussed, this is an expansion team that's still cutting their teeth in the early stages, a little baby. Compared to some other clubs within the league, have you guys noticed a real uptick each.
Speaker 3: And every year.
Speaker 4: The more you guys, the longer you guys have been around, I sence folks who you know clearly love and support soccer there that's just what they do.
Speaker 3: They're passionate.
Speaker 4: But others that you know, maybe weren't big SoC they weren't exposed to the soccer culture a whole lot. They bring their family, it becomes like something they do every time there's a home match. So I'm sure that's got to be exciting for the organization overall to see you guys continuing to grow with just getting interest. I mean, the question was out there for a while. I think It's been answered for quite some time now that this is a soccer city.
Speaker 3: It's not about can it be? It is one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it absolutely is a soccer city.
Speaker 7: And I tell you what, anybody out there listening who has not been brought into the fold yet, here's the date you need to pinpoint. Yeah, certainly come atter the opener this weekend. By the way, Nick, I don't know if you've seen the weather forecast. It's looking a little ominous, not very well. So there is potential for them to potentially move the game the Sunday afternoon because we don't want to play in a driving rain.
Speaker 6: Let's just be honest.
Speaker 7: That's not finalized, so pay attention to our website and our social media channels. I think something may be announced on that this evening if they do decide to move to Sunday. But the green beer and the green jerseys, the Green kits, it'll all be in play on Sunday if they do move. But the other date, what I'll say to to anybody listening who's not plugged in, not coming to every game, not watching every game, the opportunity to come see this team play that will be memorable for you and your entire family is on Thunder Over Louisville. It's a new tradition that we're planning on having every year with Racing Louisville. Now, last year they did it for the first time, had eleven, three hundred and sixty five fans, the biggest crowd to see a Racing Louisville game here in Louisville at Lynn Family Stadium. It was an electric atmosphere and they put on a show. They beat Utah five to one. I mean, they absolutely thumped them. So we're trying to do that again this year on Thunder It's on April twelfth. You'll be able to watch the air show from your seats, watch a really entertaining soccer game, and then afterwards stick around the stadium for one of the more unique and best views of the Thunder Over Louisville fireworks show. So that's on April twelfth. I head to racinglufc dot com to find out more on that. It's going to be a new tradition in the city of Louisville. Last couple of years, everybody's really enjoyed it. Two years ago we just opened up the stadium to have people come. Last year we added a game to the overall day and then it'll be another great day this year. So if you're out there, you've got kids at home, you're looking for something to do after basketball season's over in mid April, that thunder over Louisville game is going to be memorable. We're expecting another record type crowd eleven twelve thousand on hand for that one, So certainly make your way out to every game. I'm not trying to tell people not to come out the game. Come out to every game, but if you're only going to do one, that might be the one to pick this year.
Speaker 3: Exciting stuff. Great to catch up we did, Jeff.
Speaker 4: I'm sure we'll be talking soon as the club gets the season started. So have a great weekend. Hopefully the weather cooperates and we'll talk soon, my friend.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I appreciate you. Nick. Always always enjoy chatting with you, friend, All.
Speaker 4: Right, take care of that is Jeff Melby miss him around here, but obviously he's doing great things for Racing hold Earth Soccer Holdings and helping out with Louisville City FC, Racing Louisville and they are set for another season.
Speaker 3: And telling you there's not a more beautiful place I feel like.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's so modern and still brand new, meaning Lenz Stadium, but the view of the stadium from the interstate, the view of LOUISVILLEQEU. Imagine thunder over Louisville from there, I imagine didn't get much better than that. All right, let's stick around. Well I want you to stick around. I don't know why I said let's stick around. We should stick around too, right Austin, Because you know, if not, then there wouldn't be a show. So we're gonna stick around as well, and hopefully you guys do too. Right here on Sports Talk seven ninety