Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I am six forty.
Speaker 2: I love listening to radio whenever there's an earthquake because we immediately start taking phone calls from people. What do you feel? Oh? I felt it was shaking, and let's go to Fred.
Speaker 3: Listeners like that. They do they want to hear what's going on, and they don't.
Speaker 2: I'm just taking fuck Neil, I'm making fun of it. Okay, Wow, am I making fun of listeners?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I've never done that before in my life.
Speaker 1: And now Handle on the news. Ladies and gentlemen. Here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 2: Good morning everybody, Bill Handle. Here. It is a Wednesday morning, hump day, August fourteenth. Already. You know my birthday is at the end of the month, on the twenty fifth, so I'm gonna be taking two weeks off from my birthday. You know how people do their birthday week. I was thinking of doing my birthday month as personal time, and yeah, I'm gonna do that.
Speaker 4: What would you do with all that time.
Speaker 2: I would have?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You know. Michelle used to who used to be on this show, was the producer on this show. She was our Anne for twenty five years. She would always on birthdays bring in balloons. We walk in and there were the balloons attached to the chair, you know, helium balloons. And he'd be in the studio and the first thing I would do is come in and pop them. I just was not interested in having balloons sitting in the studio. Pop pop pop pop pop. Thanks Michelle, she stopped doing that a little while ago. So I don't get a happy birthday anything on my birthday. And then I called Michelle and go, come on, everybody else gets one, gets a birthday shout out with balloons. How come I don't.
Speaker 3: And I are going to fill up pianta with pig's blood, yeah, and bring it in just to celebrate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be here. What day, by the way, I'm just twenty fifth is what day? And I'm my calendar here. Let me take a look at it. Calendar calendar August twenty five. Oh it's a Sunday, okay. Oh I'm taking Sunday off.
Speaker 3: We're all coming to your house. Oh yeah, that's celebrating. We're gonna wake you up with balloons.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna bring up Mariachi band to come wake you up.
Speaker 2: So I'm probably gonna do uh, you know, I'm gonna you know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna have a lunch and I'm gonna take a small group of people to Costco and we're gonna do samples for lunch.
Speaker 3: That's your party. Everyone will wear party hats. Every year, I go around to all the sample stations.
Speaker 4: Oh, cous, cous and whatever.
Speaker 2: You know, have you noticed number one the uh? I was there yesterday, of course, uh and uh so I walked in and tried all the sample stuff. And you know, again, because there are a lot of it's some Asian people can be rude making a mad dash for the samples.
Speaker 3: And again I do them being Asian because they are Asian area.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's for one, Yeah people, that's true. And the other reason I don't want I don't want to point out any specific ethnicity Korean that they are just it's well, just in general, I get you pushed aside a lot, and damn it, I I just don't take it. You have a little ninety year old lady gets in front of me, God help her man. She is just pushed right out of the way.
Speaker 4: So anyway, like elbow pads.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. The point is the point is is that what was I going to say? Oh, the number of elderly people that are now doing those that sampling is extraordinary. If you notice that that has many men meet more elderly people, and whether or not that's a statement of we are now we are now extending our workpace or a lot more elderly people just don't have the money and they need the work.
Speaker 3: Oh you mean the servers, yeah, the sampler people yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, the sampler people.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean people that go up for you know, for the samples are in great shape. They're so used to pushing people around. And I'm going to talk more about this at eight thirty when I talk about social security and elderly people and the problem that a lot of folks have. Okay, so, h one other thing about Costco where I'll be doing my birthday yesterday. What was it? They were sampling Panco shrimp yep, oh yeah, and that line was forty deep.
Speaker 4: And then the proteins go hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you have the electro light juice streaks, something that no one touches.
Speaker 4: So there was some weird green slop that they were serving the other day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well there is like young people were lapping it up.
Speaker 4: But what the hell? It was all right like soup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just that they have some pretty disgusting stuff. All right, Just a quick hello, and we'll get right into the news because we have a lot to cover. Good morning, Amy, Hi Cono, good morning. You were late this morning, wasn't Oh you weren't.
Speaker 4: Not for your show?
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, for MI just in general. I want to make fun of you, not worry about it. I'm not worried about it. I'm just about it. I'm not worried at all. I'm just pointing it out to embarrass you do that. It's just it's strictly to embarrass you.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You're you're looking at me like you're actually upset. No, okay, that's too bad. Yeah, okay, and Neil, good morning. See I go to all the trouble to make someone feel bad and they refuse to do that. What a waste of time? Good morning and good morning. Okay. I think I have everybody there, don't.
Speaker 5: I you do, that's all of us. That's it.
Speaker 2: Okay, there we go, let's do a show. What do you think guys? Yay? Onday August fourteenth handle on the news Amy neil Me lead story, I got big guns, hey, kay. As all of this mischieg gots is going on in the Middle East, the State Department announced that it is selling twenty billion dollars worth of fighter jets, military equipment, ammunition, tank tank parts, and the tank rounds. The ammunition is going right now. The fighter jets going to take years. Now, this gets interesting because Israel not only buys this from the US, which is great for the armaments manufacturer industry, but usually it's a combination of Israel actually writing checks, borrowing money from US to pay US for this military equipment, and or outright grants that the US gives. But needless to say, while this is going on, this thing is ramping up, and the question is does the US get involved if Iran attacks Israel to any great degree. You've got two aircraft carrier groups out in the Mediterranean, the new powered submarine cruise, missile submarine. I mean, it's going to get pretty hairy. But here's twenty billion dollars for arms, big.
Speaker 5: Bank, big bucks coming from Biden for a pet project. President Biden was at Tulane University yesterday to announce that eight research centers, including one at tu Lane, are going to get one hundred and fifty million dollars in research awards aimed at pioneering new methods of precision cancer surgery. It's part of his Moonshot effort to sharply cut cancer deaths.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and paying particular attention to colo rectal cancer, you know, with moonshot. Yeah, why'd they call it moonshot because it's for colorectal cancer.
Speaker 4: It's a butt joke.
Speaker 5: I know it's a butt joke, but I'm asking the real question.
Speaker 4: Six twelve in the morning. It's a butt joke.
Speaker 2: The reason they call it a moonshot is because of the money that was spent taking Americans to the Moon. It was jfk in nineteen sixty that said in one of his speeches that in this decade, we're going to take a man to the moon and return him and return him safely to Earth. We do things not because they are easy, because they are hard. And that was the announcement that the moonshot was going to take place, and the tens of billions of to make the Apollo program go. By the way, NASA had no idea. He did not tell NASA, and effectively NASA then started to work on how do we put someone on the moon. By the way, this is nineteen sixty when Alan Shepherd went up four miles and then came down and he called for the moonshot. That's where they get the moonshot. Does that help this?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 5: It it does.
Speaker 2: Okay, the cade this right, the cave this we're going up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look at that.
Speaker 3: What you go from butt joke to wonderful historical insights. It's like I get emotional whiplash listening to you.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: So Monday we had the four point four magnitude in northeast Los Angeles here jolted a good chunk of us. And this seems to be an increased seismic activity going on in southern California and it's likely to continue.
Speaker 4: So run with me on this.
Speaker 3: Since nineteen thirty two here in southern California, we averaged about ten to twelve earthquakes of magnitude four point zero or greater per year. However, in the past twenty years we've seen an average of just about five or so quakes of that magnitude. So now you have our very beloved doctor Lucy Jones saying that twenty twenty four has had more earthquakes than any year we've seen since nineteen eighty eight, and that she believes that this we're going back more towards the trend that we had seen for so many years of about ten to twelve earthquakes of magnitude four.
Speaker 2: Okay, at seven o'clock, I'm going to do this, and we're going to and I'm going to tell you that we hear about the San Andreas fault. We've got a fault that is so far more dangerous than the San Andreas going on. And here's the bottom line. I'm going to start with that you better get your affairs in order because you are going to die by next week. I just want to give you just a heads up on that one.
Speaker 5: Thanks Bill.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're welcome, your motivational speaker, Bill a hand there.
Speaker 5: Puerto Rico's not taking a direct hit, but they are still taking a big hit. Tropical Storm Ernesto is powering toward the island country. They're expecting flooding, heavy rainfall, heavy winds. Ernesto is the fifth named storm of the Atlantic Hurricane System. It passed over the Virgin Islands yesterday. It's not going to pass over Puerto Rico, but it's going to skirt it and is exposed expected to dump about eight to ten inches of rain, which could trigger landslides, splash flooding.
Speaker 2: It's going to be bad. It's going to be bad, I mean.
Speaker 4: And Puerto Rico just gets nailed.
Speaker 2: Their electric grid is already in the toilet and it got hit badly by Maria. They haven't rebuilt it at all. And when the winds come, you know, every hubcap on every car is blown away. No, no, wait a minute, they're not there anymore anyway. By the way, that is a very dated joke.
Speaker 4: You joke.
Speaker 2: That is a dated joke, because it used to be that you'd make fun of Puerto Rican's you know, the Puerto Rican gangs, the Jets and the sharks. They would steal hubcaps. That was sort of the thing in the Puerto Rican world back then. So a hubcamp joke.
Speaker 4: Care of them as a as a territory.
Speaker 2: You mean the hubcap owners, No, oh, Puerto Rico them because they're not a state. It's a territory, I get it, okay for that, if they were a state, there would be a lot more and it's simply up to Congress to decide whether or not. And Puerto Rico they can they can treat people in territories the way they want to.
Speaker 4: They can make them a state.
Speaker 2: That is the problem because there's been a couple of elections and they have said no to statehood and all they have to do is vote into statehood because they also get some benefits by being a territory, for example, tax breaks. There are people who very wealthy, people who make a ton of money that actually move to and we know some and I'm that I'm not going to mention names that have their residence is in Puerto Rico. Their official resident toy live there six months in one day because it all boils down to virtually no taxes. If you're fairly wealthy and you're earning over a million dollars a year and you live in California, you're paying fifty two fifty two percent taxes between state and FED. You move to Puerto Rico, you're down to about six seven percent tax Wow, because it's not a state, it's not the same. The FED tax rate doesn't connect, so it's it's a mixed bag.
Speaker 4: I'm going to become a territory.
Speaker 3: Yeah that sounds great, all right. Federal judge ruled tuesday that such a no brainer that UCLA cannot allow pro Palestinian protesters to block Jewish students from accessing classes to other parts of the campus.
Speaker 4: No crap.
Speaker 2: Well, they they did not do that until the lawsuit was filed, arguing, hey, it's not we don't get involved. What I don't understand is how they defend themselves. If it's UCLA property and they're being blocked now on on the street, that's a different issue. UCLA can say, you know, out in public land, that's not us except to the police, et cetera, et cetera. But this is on campus.
Speaker 3: That is politically correct garbage and they have no spine and they should have put a stop to it immediately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's what caused was it? Those three those three school presidents to resign. This was Harvard because when asked in con Congress, do you think it is appropriate for a group of people to actually utter genocide and pitch for genocide on campus? And they said it depends on the context, and Congress just nailed them and they were forced to resign under political pressure. You can't say that, all right, I think we do one more and then take a break.
Speaker 5: Ukraine's leaving its mark on Russia. The Russian border region of Belgarod has declared an emergency and is trying to get Moscow to declare an emergency well as well. After new attacks by Ukrainian forces, Kiev has claimed control of hundreds of square miles of Russian territory. Is the first time that anyone's invaded Russia or crossed over the border since World War II.
Speaker 2: You know, we think of Russia as in the Soviet days, this massive military power, kind of equivalent to us during the Cold War, it was tit for tat back and forth, a number of nuclear weapons. Russia has a very deteriorated armed forces, nothing near what it was. It's not considered a world power at all. And so you know, otherwise, how can a Ukraine invade Russia? And I'm talking about going in dozens of miles and it's still happening, all right.
Speaker 3: Strange twist here, an investigation into an armed robbery of a one million dollar watch in Beverly Hills just spun in a whole different direction when authorities turned up a handgun that once belonged to Cop Killer and Build Handle listener.
Speaker 4: By the way, Christopher Dorner, you.
Speaker 2: Remember, I do remember Chris Dorner nine day Spree, a former cop and he remember and they had to well, they finally got him was the San Bornino Mountains, up in the mountains in a cabin or whatever, and they were able. There was a shootout and he was killed and they burned the place down. In any case, you remember the manifesto that was published, this multi page crazy ass manifesto that just rambled on. Except turns out that he was a KFI fan and in the in the manifesto he said, I love Bill Handle, I love John and Ken. Those are two radio shows that I would never miss. This is in his manifesto. Crazy guy who was shooting people up.
Speaker 4: And you bet on GMC, didn't you and told him to give him?
Speaker 2: Yeah I did. Yes, they turn yourself in as if he paid attention to me. Okay, so he didn't either way, he didn't pay attention.
Speaker 3: What No, he's he's all the way dead now, Yeah, but how could the gun that he used to shootout?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And they burned the place down and all that craziness that took place.
Speaker 4: It's the weird as that, which must have gone into evidence. Get back on the streets.
Speaker 2: You have no idea. Yeah, But the other thing I don't understand. It's a million dollar watch that was stolen. I'm assuming it was a break in. Yeah, who they Hell no, it was.
Speaker 5: A guy sitting on the street outside the Beverly wilshir and.
Speaker 2: He was wearing a million dollar watch. Apparently, who is crazy enough to wear it has to be like a one, like a seventy protect folie, I mean, just weird.
Speaker 4: He also was wearing a T shirt that said rob me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, still fighting for refunds. Remember when Delta had their meltdown because of the crowd strike debacle. Well, they said that they were going to have an expanded reimbursement policy for affected travelers because they were grounded for more than a week. But a lot of passengers are saying they're still not getting their money back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Delta doesn't want to know what to do. I mean, the refund on the trip itself, that's not gonna be a problem. The problem is the delays for a week or three days, hotel stays, cruises that were lost, just other connecting airplanes or airlines. They they're going to be spinning because man, this went across the system. They just got killed on this.
Speaker 4: Isn't that the cost of doing business? And then they have to sue.
Speaker 2: Who are they going to sue the hackers?
Speaker 5: CrowdStrike?
Speaker 4: CrowdStrike?
Speaker 2: I mean it wasn't and then and then CrowdStrike would grow, would go broke, probably if in fact they're held liable, and then who are they going to sue? Counter complain?
Speaker 5: Microsoft?
Speaker 2: Okay, well and then well my Microsoft could probably pick it up, all right, Oh buy that?
Speaker 4: Okay, all right?
Speaker 3: If you have a Ford or Masda, you better list not Forward and Mazda are warning the own more than four hundred and seventy five thousand older vehicles in the US not to drive them because they're dangerous. Takata airbag inflators have not been replaced.
Speaker 4: I don't know how that company is, but that's their fault.
Speaker 2: No, No, that's not Takata's fault. That is they called, they had recalled all of those airbags, and a lot of people just didn't show up to get the to get them fixed. And I get a question, now, yeah, well, I've I get questions like this all the time. On handle on the law, and my response is, Okay, there's the recall, and I haven't been recalled yet. Okay, I have to stand in line. Okay, there were a million cars that were recalled, a million of these airbags. Someone's got to go first, and someone has to be nine hundred, ninety nine and ninety ninth because that's simply the way physics works. So I'm surprised that this these airbags have not already been recalled. Maybe this is a brand new one Takata, And remember Takata, I don't know how they stood in business at all, why they had to go bankrupt.
Speaker 3: Of course I get or because their name pops up with these things, and they're still the line that this warning covers more than three hundred and seventy four thousand and ford. I know Lincoln and Mercury vehicles from twenty four to twenty.
Speaker 4: Fourteen, and nearly eighty three.
Speaker 3: Thousand mazdas from two thousand and three through twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: And Takata was I don't know if it still is by far the largest airbag manufacturer in the world.
Speaker 5: Actually, so Newsom wants schools to Nick's cell phones. The governor is sending letters out to districts urging them to restrict this student's use of smartphones on campus. The governors's districts should act now to help students focus at school. He also cited risks of the well being of young people, and he said every classroom should be a place of focus, learning and growth.
Speaker 2: You know, he's not pushing for a law, state law. He's asking school districts on their own to do it.
Speaker 5: The j LA School District has done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Melle Unified has done then, a few others have done that, And I sort of have mixed feelings about that because for the safety factor, you want your kid to have a cell phone, and at the same time, you don't want your kid texting in the middle of the class. So it goes both ways.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: New bill in California would require warning labels dummies placed on all gas stoves starting next year. If past AB twenty five thirteen, introduced by Democratic assemble Woman Gail Pellerin, would mandate these labels to be placed on gas stoves starting in twenty twenty five. Just ventilate. Get good ventilation, people, No matter what.
Speaker 2: You want to now, it's really important that you be told that stoves I don't know gas and that can be dangerous. It's like you can go to jail if you tear off that label on mattresses. Have you seen that.
Speaker 3: I think that's I think that's before they're sold, after they're sold at all.
Speaker 4: Okay, comes knocking at your door.
Speaker 2: The mattress police don't come over there and checking. Yeah, stuff like this is so stupid. It's just for example, on every building, right, if you're pregnant, don't walk in the door because there are toxics here that your kid may be born deformed, or you may die or just yeah, it's all warnings now.
Speaker 5: Well, and when when did they decide this? Because we've had gas stoves for what thirty forty years? When you switched over from electric, it's the greatest thing ever.
Speaker 2: And it is, by the way, I happen to love gas tooves. I cook on gas tos. I hate electric and the future those induction stoves.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the deal is, gas is great for a stove, Electric is great for an oven. So you get duel is what I have here, and it's the best way if you like cooking. But what about the fact that you know, I live in a one hundred and twelve year old house or whatever. There wasn't electricity when this house was built.
Speaker 2: It was gas.
Speaker 4: All the lamps, everything right, gas.
Speaker 3: It just we continue to put these warnings on everything. Life is dangerous. You can't nerf the world go enjoy.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine if we should put warning labels on our show every two minutes? What we used to remember when Michelle used to do the apologies at the end of the show, we had a recorded apology of who we offended during the show.
Speaker 4: It's time to have and bring those back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, let's bring those back, Neil and talk to Michelle about that. The recording may still be there and we can end the show with that as we used to. All Right, well, I think we're done, guys. That's it. The only other story we were going to do is that fun story. Of course, you were going to make fun of me. The first the first Afro Latina to appear on the US quarter Celia Cruz, Oh, come on, Americ Cuban American singer, because she has to be the first. I cannot wait for the first dwarf to appear on an American coin, just because it's going to be a first, although you'll only be able to see the top of his head.
Speaker 4: Okay, and the coin would say actual size.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just drives me nuts. We're done, guys. That's it. This is KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.