Speaker 1: All right, here we go, Fred Rogan or Rodney Peach on a five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 2: We've got a big three hour program for you today. Rodney. How are you.
Speaker 1: I'm doing just fine there, Freddy. Getting closer and closer the Christmas day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In the holidays, Freddie, in the holidays, all of that, all of it. So happy Hanikah, happy Kwanza, happy Christmas and all of those things. Freddie, it's right around the corner. I'm man it excited. It's my favorite time of year. All right, Well, let's get to this off the top. A surprise? You ever had a surprise? I mean, do you like to be surprised?
Speaker 2: Rodney? I don't. I don't either. I'm not a sur Some people love being surprised. My daughter loves it.
Speaker 1: She loves being surprised, and she loves to give people surprises.
Speaker 2: But I'm more like you. I don't need a surprise. You know.
Speaker 1: Tell me what's going on and I'll be excited. Give me the word and let me get ready. Are you the ones that are you? Are you one of those guys that your family or a close friend, they they they tell you the surprise. They let you know. Fred they're gonna give me a surprise. You just act like you're surprised your wife, that's fair, your friends, kids that yeah. And here's here's why that doesn't happen, because first, nobody gives me anything like a surprise, and they know I'm bad at them. Hey Dad, we're gonna surprise you. Actually that's never been said.
Speaker 2: Never.
Speaker 1: No one ever surprises me because I don't like surprises. I like to know what's going on. That's just who I am. And if there's gonna be a change in my life, I'd like to know about it. If something's going to occur, and I want to be in on it. And that's kind of the story of Devin Williams, the closer for the Milwaukee Brewers. Now, we mentioned that the Dodgers were interested in Devin Williams and Tanner Scott. Tanner Scott's going to cost money. And I even said, when this news broke, Rodney, my god, get Devin Williams. That guy is a stud closer. So the Dodgers were interested. People were talking about it, and apparently we've now learned that Devin Williams thought he was going to the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Here listen, was this anything that was on your radar? Did you think this was a possibility, To be honest, I didn't really think so. I thought, you know, I kind of thought i'd be going to LA. I was what I was being told.
Speaker 3: And you know, the Yankee snuck in there under the table and you know, got the deal done.
Speaker 1: So Devin Williams was told he was going to LA. I'd said, what a great move it would have been. Yeah, So he's probably going, let me see where I'm gonna live out there. I mean, I'm going to La. The world sooner he's picking it out. You think he's going to let me see Manhattan Beach, Newport, you know, Glendale, you know Pasadena, La Studio city, where Camp Beverly Hills.
Speaker 2: Where where am I gonna live? Right?
Speaker 1: Going through it, so many choices, yes, yes, And then he gets the word that you are traded. So I guess he's looking for the first flight to LAX. But then he's re routed from Newark because he's going to the Yankees. He even thought he was coming to the Dodgers. He thought he would be closing for the Dodgers next year. Instead he will pitch for the Yankees. Now I don't know Devin Williams, but just hearing that, he sounded absolutely miserable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't sound very good, right, he didn't sound happy. How'd you about this?
Speaker 1: Will, To be honest with you, I thought I was going to LA That's what I was being told, But then the Yankees snuck in at the last minute.
Speaker 2: So I wonder what happened there.
Speaker 1: How do you think that lands in New York on the fan or one of those one of those sports radio channels that people call in and talk about it. How do you think that lands brutal? I mean, he was honest. I'll give him credit for that, but that's not going to suit him. Well there, he better be lights out right from day one, but he couldn't because he's really good.
Speaker 2: He's really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'd be curious to find out, and eventually David Vassai will come on and explain what happened. But the Dodgers were interested in Devin Williams so much so he thought he was coming here. But that didn't work. Crazy, it's crazy. I might fire my agent, might fire my agent. If I don't know, you know that I get kind of thrown in that kind of loop.
Speaker 2: Red.
Speaker 1: You know, he's supposed to know these things, right if you're the agent, you're supposed to know what's going on and kind of be in the mix. And they're calling you, they're trying to figure out, Hey, we need them to come in for a physical.
Speaker 2: All those things start to happen. We've got to come in for a physical.
Speaker 1: We got to get you know, looking into some flights to New York, you know what, we're getting ready for this thing. So there's a there is a there's some sort of knowledge that is that happens even with the trade.
Speaker 2: At least it should.
Speaker 1: At least it should, and I'm saying that it does, and somebody's withholding the information because it can't just happen on a whim. I mean it can. You know, people say, yeah, we made a last minute deal. But even if it's a last minute deal, somebody's calling the team, the agent, somebody, Hey, we're about to make this trade for Devin. Where is he right now? We just want to let you know because they don't know Devin makes it. I'm retiring, I ain't playing for the Yankees. You know, they don't know that for sure. So there's got to be some sort of contact, and then where does that fall Who does that fall on?
Speaker 2: Is it the agent?
Speaker 1: Is it the club that he's being traded from, But it's somebody that's got to let him know, Hey, this is a possibility, this is real. These are the two teams of all Oh the latest is and you got your phone in your hand walking around if you're Devin Williams going okay, where's it going to be? But for him to say, I thought I was going to LA and that blindsided me. It's just that bad business. Yeah, number of levels, a number of levels. Could you imagine his phone rings and he goes, Dave Andrew, No, this is Brian Cashman.
Speaker 2: Why are you call?
Speaker 1: I'm expecting your call. Could you hang out? I'll call you back. No, I am the call you're expecting. Congratulations.
Speaker 2: That's bad business, Frid that business.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just don't see how that can happen, you know, and it get I get guys, you know, certain things happen with like with guys don't know, guys get cut or released, you know, And it happened so fast that that you know, certain guys that you've heard the stories, guys find out through social media that they got cut or they got released before trade to go through. There's so many there's so many factors too that have to happen.
Speaker 3: First.
Speaker 2: Got to figure out the guys.
Speaker 1: I mean, even even if you don't have a no trade clause, there are guys that just say I don't want to play for that team and I ain't going. So you can try to trade me all you want, but I'm sitting out or I'm retiring. Don't you need to know that first? So somebody knows. Somebody knows, and that's holding back and just maybe they do it to social didn't get ahold of it first. Yeah, Well, as a player, I'm mad. I'm upset about that whole situation. Not upset at the Yankees. And you went to the Yankees because obviously a good organization. But the fake, the way it went down, the way it went down, and me not knowing and thinking one thing and it happened to be another, that's the problem. So he ends up with the Yankees, but he was on the Dodger radar right now, what you confirm that? Let me give you another player that's still out there now, Dodger fans, I want you to think about this. You know there were three big pictures that were free agents, Blake Snell, Max Freed and Corbyn Burns. And the funny thing was we had a conversation, oh a month ago and Rodney, I think you asked me which one would you pick? And I said Corbyn Burns, that'd be if the guy would pick you took Blake Snell, and then Max Freed. Yeah, and then Corbyn Burns Yep, okay. So the Dodger signed Blake Snell, Yes.
Speaker 2: They did, Paddy.
Speaker 1: The Yankees agree to a deal with Max Freed. Why is Corbyn Burns still sitting there? Why is he still available? There's going to want to be a ten year deal. Fred, like you hate at okay, you know what? You might be a thousand percent right. On the other hand, maybe somebody knows something and no one's saying it. But the sense now is that Rodney, he might do the old Blake sneill give me two years a lot of money, and I can opt out after the first year. I'll do the short one for more money per year, and then I'll try again. So if he says, you know what, pay me twenty seven million this year, give me twenty seven give me thirty, I can opt out after the first year if I have a great year. If he says that and you're the Dodgers, you bite it that, Yes, Yes, I do, Yes, I do. You're talking about a short term deal, guy one of the best in the business. Yeah, I bite at that. I buy it that because it it leaves your issue Fred with the number of years. So you got a guy for two, possibly three. He's he's the top three to five pitchers in the league. Yeah, you're not locked in forever. He kind of already know what you're gonna get with him because he's a stud. So absolutely, I'm jumping all over that two years. I'm not committed long term. I got an opportunity. Yeah, yeah, Yeah, I'm doing that deal.
Speaker 2: I think I would too. What about you? I think I think I'm doing a heartbeat. Honestly, I doing a heartbeat.
Speaker 1: Twenty seven million, twenty seven that is that the average of what Freed got in au per value average out.
Speaker 2: I think think.
Speaker 1: Freed got two hundred and something right, two hundred and eighteen. May believe he got yeah, stff like that. I think he got more than that. But I'm just saying make it around. How about twenty five thirty twenty five. You're on the hook for fifty five million if he stays both years. He stays both years and it's it's his option. Yeah, give him an option after the first year, do it. Let's just bring him into the rotation.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Now, if that were to happen, and again it's odd to me that he's still sitting there, but if that were to happen, Now you look at the pitching staff, Blake Snell, corn Burn, saw young guys whit Snell, Corbyn burns class now Yamamoto Otani when he's ready to go, whatever young guy is ready to go with the rest of the group. If they get Sazaki, that would be the greatest rotation in baseball. That would be like the old Baltimore Oriel rotation when they had four man rotations. That that would be like wow, that would be mind me believe if they could do that.
Speaker 2: They would be I mean, it would be unfair. It would be unfair.
Speaker 1: I mean, look what the Dodgers did with the half the rotation or three fourths of the rotation hurt this year, and they way they were able to go and dominate most of it and then win the World Series and figure out how to work the bullpen the way they did. As you got that staff going for you as their room. Here's a question, though, is their room? You know you got all these guys, is that what are you gonna go for an eight man rotation?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: What you make for them in that scenario, you make room. Yeah, we'll find a place. Don't worry about it, because someone is gonna get you know what. Someone's gonna get a sore arm. Someone's gonna have to miss a couple of starts. Okay, but soon they're all healthy to start the season, well except for Otani, uh, to start the season. How do you how do you manage that rotation you got? You got six guys at six legitimate starters? I know, I mean what do you do?
Speaker 2: Can you have that.
Speaker 1: Somebody being either pissed off or somebody not being You're not getting the most out of your staff.
Speaker 2: Here's what you would do. Now.
Speaker 1: I don't think they've considered this yet, but since we discussed it, I will give you the solution. Okay, every game you use two guys, so one guy goes five innings, one guy goes four. So in this game, it's Blake Snell and Corbyn burns. Those are your pictures. You don't even need a bullpen the next game. If you have that many pitchers, you just split them in half. What do you think of that plan? Terrible? It's being ridiculous. Why you only use two pictures. You don't need a bullpen.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about, Well, you still have to bullpen guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm saying if you have that many starting pitchers, then a guy doesn't have to go all the time. Then you preserve his arm. Then he's good for when he needs to be good at the end of the year. So you go into the game planning on using two pitchers, two of your starters. Yes, that's how you going into every game. That's how I would do it. And then if it plays out where you use the bullpen later in the seventh, eight or ninth in and then you use the bullpen. But going into it, your starter is gonna give me four, and the next guy coming in, the second starter is going to try to give me three or four correct, whatever whatever.
Speaker 2: He can give me.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be the first finish it off. The first guy goes five, the starter, yeah, then the coast starter goes four or four or five however you want to play it however you want. But I get the guy that starts should have the right to win the game. So he goes five innings. Okay, Now look at this, you're saving wear and tearing their arms and they're not throwing as many innings. So if you sign Corbyn Burns, that's.
Speaker 2: What you do. So you would the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: You would need twelve people with a six day rotation, and the guy your starter and your coat starter, your starter's going he's at five innings with only forty seven pitches, right, he's throwing a one hitter. Yeah, shut out, Yeah, you're still pulling him at five five innings.
Speaker 2: He's the starter, he's not the coat starter. That's right.
Speaker 1: We're gonna save everybody now for the playoffs. We're gonna make that decision in April. That's how Regardless, he's not going sixth inning, he's not going into the sixth or the seventh inning, all.
Speaker 2: Right, if.
Speaker 1: But then the coast starter gets to start tomorrow night. So there's a good things I'm saying. There's always gonna be factors that you add on. You just gonna keep adding on, adding on like sprinkles and strawberries and nuts and everything on it. If the starter happens to go and he's rolling and he's dealing, and he goes to six or seventh inning, then you scrap the coast starter. You just go from the starter to the bullpen, and you use the cot starter as the next starter for the next day. Listen, if you had not brought up the insane notion of well, where are you gonna pitch everybody? I'll find a place to pitch everybody.
Speaker 2: It'll be easy for me. I'll find places for everybody to pick.
Speaker 1: That's right. I would find a place for him to pitch. If you could get Corbyn Burns, I would find a place for him to pitch. I don't think it would be an issue. Wow, Diet, you imagine though, good glass now snell Yamamoto, burns Otani in your rotation.
Speaker 2: With and all those guys coming back, the possibility of the return of Kershaw.
Speaker 1: Oh that's too much. They would call unfair. They would call they would call bs unfair, dodgers, unfair practices. Okay, but here's the thing. Last year everybody complained about their hitters. That was unfair. They hit too well, they had too many guys that could hit too many MVPs in their lineup. All right, well, we won't really improve that this year. We'll just go get another cy young pitcher. We'll just have everybody went to sign Young in our rotation. How about we do that. We'll change it up this year. We're not stuck on one thing. We could do any number of things. I think that makes sense. That would be better than the Maddocks, Glavin It Smolt Atlanta Braves of the nineties. This would be the greatest rotation built in baseball history if they could go out and get him. No, there's no guarantee they're gonna sign them. There's no guarantee the reaction of the reaction of the rest of the league if they did that.
Speaker 2: I don't know what they complain about.
Speaker 1: Tell you about Hayton boy, they would be they would be beside themselves. I don't know why they would complain. They didn't go out and sign another real hitter. That was their complaint last year. They just went and signed pictures. This year, this should make everybody happy. We didn't get one, so noo, everybody should be relieved. Now you see, we didn't get them. We're not those guys. We're not going to be crazy. We'll just go sign corpor and Burns instead.
Speaker 2: We'll put him in the rotation.
Speaker 1: God, it's fun to live here, so much fun to live here with this team.
Speaker 2: Dodger fans, come on, be happy. There's so much fun.
Speaker 1: I mean, you could be living in Kansas City right now with the Royals, which it wouldn't even speak of because you're too worried about the Chiefs. Here's the real problem. We just can do whatever we want. So we're not sure what we should do because we can do anything. Yeah, we own a monopoly team, a video game team. We're playing Madden. Except it's real money. It's real money, and that's okay. We're good.
Speaker 2: Now here's another question about real money.
Speaker 1: And look, we only know it's been reported, but it seems to be according to reports. Where is Tascar Hernandez? What's the deal with Tiascar Hernandez. There are unconfirmed rumors that there were at odds over the length of the contract and deferred money. Allegedly Tayo doesn't want money. Deferred length of contract and deferred money. Now, I don't know how you bridge that gap. I think you could convince somebody about the deferred money. Yeah, but the length of contract is a different story. And that was my concern from the beginning here Rodney Well, I mean from his standpoint, Look, he bet on himself, he had a great year, wants to be a Dodger, very clear. And if you're him, you want to try to finish your career here. You want to go out as a Dodger, so you want to try to get as many years as possible as a Dodger. You don't want to play here two more years, three years and then you know, in your mid thirties, try to go find another team for three years. You'd rather play it out as a Dodger. And if you happen to play, say it's six years or whatever it may be, and then you want to retire, you retire. But if you want to, you know, tack on an extra year, then that's gravy and you can give a home count, hometown discount, or goes and will else to play for a year with.
Speaker 2: But I get it.
Speaker 1: They want to play here and finish out their career at you know, as as a Dodger, win a couple more titles and and be done with it the deferment thing.
Speaker 2: I think you're right.
Speaker 1: I think you can be That can be explained, that can be altered, that could be changed in many different scenarios to make that work. It is the number of years. So what if it's the same number annually but less years? Would you be okay with that? It's like twenty five twenty five? Yeah, say yeah, if he's if he's or you would have to bump the annual salary because he's knocking off.
Speaker 2: You're knocking off the number of years. So instead of.
Speaker 1: But five years, five years, one hundred and twenty million dollars, But that wouldn't make it because he was getting twenty he was going to get twenty one anyway, five years, five years one twenty five, five years one twenty five for tail And you say.
Speaker 2: You're not doing five years? What would you give him for three?
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's what I think the problem is. Let me just tell you what I think the problem is. I think they're willing to give him the money, but I think they're saying, for whatever amount that is, we'll add on an extra year. But if we add on an extra year, then we want to start deferring it. I think that's the problem. I think that's how they're trying to get to the number. So there's saying, we'll give you that extra year, but we have to defer part of your salary. He's saying, I don't want anybody deferred. I think that's what this is. Look, initially the feeling was he was gonna make twenty a year, Rodney, twenty a year Detroit, right out of the blocks, three years sixty. Then you heard Yankees five years, one hundred. It's twenty million a year. That's what it's going to be. Maybe a scoch more, I would think, but that's really the ballpark. Okay, now we know what we're playing. So what number do you want to get to? I want to get to one hundred. We can't do that. We're not giving you five years. Okay, Maybe we'll give you twenty five a year for three years and get you to seventy five.
Speaker 2: Right, you want that fourth year?
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what. We really don't want to go, but we will. But now we have to start deferring it. Are you deferring the entire four years or you deferring just that last year? I don't know. Maybe you defer the first two. Mm hmm, there's gonna be you're gonna get deferred money. That's how we're gonna do this. Yeah, we deft the first two. We're gonna get you the four year deal.
Speaker 2: Last two.
Speaker 1: You make your salary back, and you help us in these first two years. Right, it's somewhere in there. It's just where is it? And I think that's the issue. Where is it? And how does it get us to that number? Yeah, because this is what I thought from the beginning too many years.
Speaker 2: If the Dodgers are willing to.
Speaker 1: Say, okay, all right, we know who you are, we know how valuable you are, we know what you've done for the franchise, and in return, in return, we got to defer a little bit to get that extra year in there.
Speaker 2: I think that's where we're at with this.
Speaker 1: And it depends on what that deferment is, right, because it's not everybody's O tani where you can say, oh, okay, I only take two million dollars salary, and because I'm gonna make sixty off the field every single year, if not more so, I don't need the seventy or sixty eight seventy million dollars that I was I'm old, I'll just take two of that because all the marketing stuff that I do off the field is gonna make up for it for the next ten years that I'm playing here. Taylor didn't have that luxury, you know, so depending on where he is, it just could it could be one of those I'm not Otani. I'm not making that kind of money off the field. I want it now. So maybe it's part of it is how much we gonna defer it. Could it be half? If it is twenty a year, then we defer half of that the first two years you get to ten. Who knows, I mean, we don't know. It's just speculating right here. But hopefully they get it done because I think he uh, he was so big for for the Dodgers in their run, and it would be it would be just just synergy wise, it would be fantastic to bring him back. First ever West Coast Hoops Showdown takes place Saturday, December twenty eighth. UCLA and Gonzaga square off in the first ever college hoops game to be played at the Intuit Doom at Englewood. That game will be followed by a matchup between San Diego and Grand Canyon University. Tickets are on sale now at ticketmaster dot com. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, But what if you could a very important decision the Lakers made and it went the wrong way? Would you do it differently if you could do it again?
Speaker 2: That's next. Oh what a classic. I hear you writing all this.
Speaker 1: Queen's run demn s. Happy holidays, y'all ride to Pete fred Rogan on the two.
Speaker 2: Day. Let's go Freddy? All right?
Speaker 1: If you had to do it again, you can't. You can't go backwards, but you can sit and reflect because we learned from things when we think about what we've done in the past. If you had to do it again, if you're the Lakers, would you have selected Jason Tatum over Lonzo Ball? The Lakers had that opportunity. This was at the height of LaVar Ball and the ball saga nobody wants never mind. Yeah, it was the height of this and of course Magic and Rob Polinka were there and they picked Lonzo Ball. They did not pick Jason Tatum. Rodney, if you could go backwards, you think you'd make the same choice. Oh no, not even clothes. If you're going backwards and you got a chance to do it.
Speaker 2: Do over.
Speaker 1: You don't take Lonzo Ball, you take Jason Tatum, for sure. That's not even a question. Yeah, that's that's not even it's a no brainerd okay. So you would take Lonzo Ball, well, you take Jason and Jason Tatum, Jason Tatum. So Magic was asked that question and he answered, and Jason Tatum's agent was asked that question and he answered, and let's hear the sound.
Speaker 2: Of magic.
Speaker 4: We were top heavy and forwards. I couldn't take him because we had Brandon Ingram who was only in his second year, Julius Rando, Larry Nance Junior. So I had already too many forwards already there was already problems because they all wanted to play right. And so if I took another forward, we wouldn't never see this Tatum if he had end up with the Lakers, because he would have been sitting on that bench because we were already had Julius and Brandon Ingram starting right. So I'm just happy that we needed a point guard at that time, and that's why we took Lonzo Ball, and we didn't need the locker room to have any problems with another young forward. But I'm happy what's happened for Jason Jason because he's been amazing with the Celtics.
Speaker 2: All right, So that's what Magic is selling. Are you buying it, Rodney? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's just it happens. It happens in a lot, you know, a lot of situations where you got too young guys playing the same position that you believe are going to be elite in this league and brandon Ingram and Julius Randall and and Larry Nance Jr. Behind it that that you feel like we're we're loaded at that position. We're loaded right there. So what we need is somebody to run the show. And I don't know any people you know, don't forget at that time, Lonzo Ball was as big as it got.
Speaker 2: And the run that U. C.
Speaker 1: L A had and then ended up losing to Kentucky in the in the NCAA Tournament, but the run that they had and the excitement that he brought to this city, it was humongous. Fred I mean, I know people don't want to remember that and remember that time, but it was big and Lonzo Ball was at the height of it, and the the center of it. And here's a guy that's you know, six to six second play defense. He wasn't a great shooter, but he could handle the ball and run the show and play d so at that time, and he was a local kid, so I understood it. I think everybody believed that Jason Tatum probably was, you know, at the maybe the better player, but the fit for what the Lakers were looking for.
Speaker 2: It made sense.
Speaker 1: I mean it was the same that was the same Draftably, Markel Folts went number one, right, so a lot of people, I mean he was does not shy away from that to either, because everyone had him number one. For whatever reason, people had him number one in that draft, and he ended up going to the sixers and just was not the guy people thought he was, but had an unbelievable college run. And so look, there are a lot of things that you can look back on we should have took. I mean, I'm sure all the teams that passed on Brady had passed on my Homes, Like, oh, we had him and down.
Speaker 2: In the third round. We should have got him in the first round.
Speaker 1: If we had to go do that over again, we were certainly pick Patrick Mahomes are you kidding me, So it happens, but at that time, being a local UCLA kid, with all the hype and what they did and mad that run ran to stay in LA and be a Laker, it made sense. It made sense at the time. Now, Adam, you have sound from the agent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Jason Tatum's agent, Jeff Wexler, spoke about this, and he responded to Magic Johnson specifically talking about how Jason Tatum didn't want to do a workout for the Lakers and that was part of the reasoning going behind this. Here's what Jason Tatum's agent said.
Speaker 6: Magic's correct in what he said, but the way it was presented was a little different. I mean, everyone knows that the draft starts in June and guys finish the end of March, Madness, and they work out for months. Will Jason worked out in LA for months, training with Drew Handlin there and the Lakers knew that he was in LA and never called, And in late June they called and wanted to bring him in for a workout, but by that time everyone knew that they were taking Lonzo Ball. So when Rob Polinka called me and asked if they could work Jason out, I said, well, if you're not going to take them, why are you working them out? And so I said, get me on a call with Magic and we'll talk about it.
Speaker 3: So he set that up.
Speaker 6: A few days later, get on the call with Magic, I think it was around June thirteenth, and I said, Magic, you know everyone knows you're taking Lonzo Ball. He goes, yeah, well we're really heavy at forward position and we need to take a point guard, and so you know that's probably who we're going to take. He says, but we'd like to look at everybody. And I'm like, well, if you're not going to take my guy, he's been out there all summer, he's now in St. Louis, he's working out for other teams. I'm not gonna fly him back across the country for a workout when you guys aren't going to take them. And that's that's how it went down.
Speaker 1: You know something, I actually buy all of that. I buy Magic's explanation. I think the agent pretty much confirmed what Magic said. Yeah, I wish it wasn't that way. And as it turned out, Larry Nance, Julius Randall, and Brandon Ingram not even here anymore correct.
Speaker 2: But then they were.
Speaker 1: And that absolutely makes sense because even when they took Linzo Ball we were doing the show, I went, now, yeah, no, no, no, it was not that the Ball family was affecting a lot of that too, and it's like, oh, do we need them and just say, oh no, don't do it, don't do it.
Speaker 2: I remember that.
Speaker 1: But at that time, again, much like Markel Folts, people had him highly ranked. It was back and forth between him and Tatum and who should go second and all those things.
Speaker 2: I couldn't.
Speaker 1: I do remember distinctly that Markel Folts was pretty much a consensus number one piche.
Speaker 2: And you know it's it's it's.
Speaker 1: Hindsight's easy, right, It's easy to look up and go, yeah, look at what Jason Tatum's doing now, and he you know, he's killing it and he's you know, top three to four player in the league. Blah blah blah, and they should have Lakers had a chance to get him and they didn't get them. That happens every year, happens all the time. And you know, time will tell on certain guys. There's guys that been can't miss, guys that didn't didn't make it, or guys that you know, this guy's gonna be a bust and turns out to be a superstar.
Speaker 2: So it's it's it's.
Speaker 1: Hard, And I guess the problem is if maybe Magic plays it differently and says, yeah, no, we're thinking about taking Jason and have him come out for a workout, instead of saying maybe we're taking a Lonzo. Probably gonna take a Lonzo because we need a point guard, which probably offended the agent and offended Jason Tatum.
Speaker 2: And you know you're not gonna take me. Why you work why you want me to come in for a workout?
Speaker 1: So, I mean, you know, those you know, egos get involved a lot of times, not only just with the players, but also with the agents as well. It's like, my guy is gonna go in the top five, you know, So I'm not gonna pander anybody. We've we've got the cards on our side. So you had a chance to see him all summer and you didn't, so why should he come in for a workout. I get that part of it too. All right, next hour, we'll do uh, we'll do more on the Lakers, the Salta Adam Arsenal Jonas will also talk some Clippers as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Today.
Speaker 1: Afternoon delight is thank You by Snoop Dogg. This is one of sixteen tracks. It appears on the Snoop's new album entitled Missionary, which dropped over the weekend. The Doctor dre produced album features artists like Bitty cent Eminem, Staying, method Man and more. Again Today's afternoon delight is thank You by Snoop Dogg.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: One Weekly Chat with our good friend Jacob and Ronnie. Jacob, how are you.
Speaker 3: Today, Good afternoon, How are you guys doing doing well?
Speaker 2: Good, doing good?
Speaker 1: You know, Jacob, we were kidding us around the other day about Magic's personal reasons absence.
Speaker 2: Then we find out that he's got a bad foot. I mean Lebron. I mean Lebron.
Speaker 1: When I say Magic, Lebron, Magic h Lebron's personal reason absence. And then we find out he said he has a bad foot. I think that might have been a better play at the beginning of the whole thing, like my foot a sore.
Speaker 3: I mean, it would have been nice so that you know, there's not a thousand stories going left and right. I mean, at the end of the day, you know, in the world of social media, everyone's gonna have their own twist on it. But you know, as Laker fans, you know, we would understand that he needed a break, and we were wishing that it was nothing more than just the need of a break. And he comes back and you know, you could tell what a bit of rest does for.
Speaker 5: You, Right.
Speaker 3: They not caught a hot team in Memphis, and you know, you're hoping that they're going to get on a you know, little run.
Speaker 1: If it's Lebron and he would come out and say, I just I need a break for a game, four days, whatever it may be, I'm just taking a break. He would have got crucified for that, right, he would have got crucified. People would have not because there's always that balance of people that either love Lebron hate Lebron. There's very few people in the middle that will just you know, understand. And if he had come out and said I just need a break, people would have killed him, don't you think.
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely. But I think the other part of it is you can never you know, you can never keep everybody happy, right, And I think based on the trajectory of how he had been playing, you know, they could have just basically you know, tried to you know, wind down his minutes or just give him a night off. I mean, I understand there's all these brand new elite rules that are going on, and you know, last year when somebody didn't want to play, they would just say, oh, he's got a toe problem, or he's got that problem, or he's you know, his nail fell off or something like that. But I mean, I think it was pretty obvious that he was pushing himself, you know, at a high level and it wasn't working out and he needed to get a rest. And I'm glad he got a rest because I mean, again, you don't win, you know, you don't win playoff games in November and December, and this is a time for the coaching to have to be you know, to be smart about it. But what I wasn't very sure about it that every time they would ask the coach, he would say, I don't know. And I mean, I think that kind of set into it, you know that people started to go rampant with the story.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jacob, So, I think the Lakers basically are exactly where they're supposed to be. I'm not saying I'm not saying it bad. That's exactly where they're supposed to what do you.
Speaker 3: Think there you go, Fred?
Speaker 2: I mean it means don't get too excited, don't get too depressed. It's it's right where they should be.
Speaker 3: Listen. I mean we talk about this, right, we talk about it every year. It's December. Uh, you know, the trade opportunities are opening up. We want to always get better every year that goes by, and some of our player put more mileage on. You need pressure legs to play that defense, you know, on the wing and try to stop some of those guards. And uh, you know, I won't disagree with you that you know, we are where we're going to be. I guess I'd like to be positive and think about where are we going to be? I mean that's what I'm kind of looking forward to, right, Which direction are we going to go? And what can we bring on in order to help you know, some of those veteran legs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Jacob as this Cup comes down to Okay, see in Milwaukee and obviously Lakers won it last year and and only people that really care about it are the players that are involved, teams that are involved in it, really because the players, you know, I don't care how much money you're making when you get, you know, a million dollars for winning something real quick. That's a that's a nice chunk of change in your cut in your pocket. But what do you make Because a lot has been said of the of the NBA and it's lack of ratings, it's uh, it's decline and viewership and all those things. What do you make of that? And what can the NBA do? And then there's complaints now about the All Star Game and entertained in the format and what the format may be. What can the NBA do to kind of boost itself and bring back the fans for watching at least during the regular season.
Speaker 3: You know, that's a great question. I mean, obviously, you know they get paid the big bucks to come up with the ideas. But I mean, you know, I just read that viewership's down twenty eight to thirty three percent. Yeah, and you can tell even with the NBA Cup. You can understand that with this Cup unless you got some big markets going at it, I don't know how many people really care about, you know, Oklahoma City winning this or not. Of course, if you're making half a million dollars or more, of course, you know people are going to be excited about it. I just feel like, you know, in a in a world where there's so many more options, and I mean more like even locally here in the United States, for people to be watching so many other sports, it's difficult to continue to keep people engaged. And I thought it was a good idea to bring this Cup in, but then now you end up seeing you know, Oklahoma City going to be playing against Milwaukee, and you would think, okay, people are going to be following Milwaukee, but Milwaukee's had their ups and downs as well. I don't know how much following they got, so I don't know how much rating they're going to get. I think this NBA Championship, like this NBA Cup Championship, is going to come and go, and I don't think they're going to get much rating for it. I haven't watched any of them. I don't think I'm going to be super excited to watch it. My kids keep asking me, who do I think is going to win? And I keep saying, I think it's going to be okay. See, but you know, those kids are watching it because Fantasy, you know, is now getting people, you know, to watch everything, not because that's their favorite team. It's just because they have them as part of their fantasy team, so they're going to keep watching, which is incredible. It's another conversation on its own.
Speaker 1: All right, Jacob, this will be our final time talking to you this year. Any advice for folks during this holiday season if anything happens to.
Speaker 3: Them, Yes, please number one. You know, holidays are coming. Happy holiday to all of our amazing listeners. I fersontally want to say thanks to the two of you guys for everything you've done and your team over there. But I will tell you in December, we normally see a rise in motorcycle accidents, and we haven't talked about motorcycle accidents for a while. The injuries are massive. There are always a lot more serious than people who get injured in car accidents. And I just want to you know, I just want to encourage people to put on your helmets, you know, be a little bit more careful. People are driving around trying to get you know, holiday shopping done, trying to get everything that they need done. People are not paying as much attention and just be very careful. And when it comes to motorcycle accidents, you really need to make sure that if you are in one of those accidents that you do, you know, talk to a lawyer, make sure that you know your rights, because with motorcycle accidents, your rights disappear real quick because the evidence disappears real quick. And we handle a lot of those, who have handled thousands of them during my career. And I do hope that you know people are safe, but if something occurs, I want them to know we're there for them throughout the holidays. We don't stop, we don't close, We're always there for them.
Speaker 2: Got right, Jacob, Thank you, Thank you for a terrific year. Seriously, thank you guys. We love you. Have a safe holiday and we'll talk next year.
Speaker 3: I love you, guys, and stay healthy, happy holidays to your beautiful families, and thank you for all you do.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, if you want to win in one specific division, we will tell you where the money is being spent. And when we come back, there's some tweaks to the NBA All Star Game, so who can wait for that? You'll have to