Speaker 1: It's time now for Edmond O'Brien as Johnny Dolla, Liukraiger, mister Dollar. Yeah, Lou, what's up?
Speaker 2: They found the bolt a few miles off the Atlantic side of Saint Croix.
Speaker 1: Oh, she was empty. Neither one of them aboard.
Speaker 2: No, from what I understand, it looks like there was trouble.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: How's that blood stains? I guess signs of a struggle. The engine had run until it was out of gas.
Speaker 1: As sure as the boat. Huh, yeah, they must be. Oh, they're sure. It's registered to Willard South. All right, where can I see it?
Speaker 2: Well, they won't have it in for another thirty minutes. The police doctor is next to Royal Mail. You can't miss it. I'll meet you there if you want.
Speaker 1: Good Lou, I'll see in about twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: Edmond O'Brien and the Transcribed Adventure of the Man with the Action Packed Expense Account, America's populous freelance insurance.
Speaker 1: Investigator, Yours truly, Johnny Dalla. Expense account submitted by special Investigator Johnny Dolla to Great Eastern Insurance Company, Hartford, Connecticut. The following is an accounting of expenditures during my investigation of the Willard South medic expense account IDEM one hundred and forty three dollars and eighty cents airfan incidentals between Hartford and the city of Charlotte Emily Island of Saint Thomas, Virgin Island Group. I arrived there two days after the disappearance of your policyholders Willard South and his wife Georgina, and one day after the report had been made by his foster mother. She was too upset to be questioned. But I did find a local guide and boat owner who claimed to know the boating habits of Willard South through a number of fishing trips. I made arrangements with him to start my own search the next morning. But it was this guide, Luke Craiger, who phoned that second evening to tell me that South's crew have been found empty old taller over here yellow. I didn't know if you'd spotted me or not. I hadn't you could do better on light down here. That is part of the romance of the island. MM. This is the boat. Huh?
Speaker 2: Police officers still a board a native by the name of Shore.
Speaker 1: I told him you were coming, that we can go aboard. Now the cabin officer. Show, yes, mister Dollar is here boor to come inside. Then thanks for letting me aboard.
Speaker 4: I was glad to meet you, mister Dalla. I was sent to your University of Iowa's to learn to be a policeman, A good school, I learned, but they taught me. But I've had no chance to learn. If what they taught me is right, it is our boast. There is no crime in the Virgin Islands that has been right.
Speaker 1: But now this, well, that happens in the best of circles. Sooner or later. What do you make of it? Let me show you with my light near the wheel. See the bullet still in the wood.
Speaker 4: Yes, I will take out the piece of the panel with a saw and they take the bullet from that.
Speaker 1: There's bloodstained under the wheel. Are they more like it? This is the large one, as if somebody fell there, As if somebody fell there.
Speaker 4: There are more here and more on the passageway, then on the deck there on the rail, as if somebody climbed over the side or was pushed over. There's one other thing back here, this piece of line. Look, it's been cut, mister Craig says. A small boat was usually tied to the stern.
Speaker 1: You're sure that I love?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm sure will had always trailed a dinghy, you know, a skiff unless he was trolling.
Speaker 1: Then he oystered at the board. But where is it now? You're searching for it, aren't you? Yes, so is the coast Guard boat. I wish you're luck. A little skiff will be a lot harder to find than a cruiser like this. Well, I'll be anxious to learn of any developments, Officer Shoy. I'm staying at the Grand. Nothing had developed by noon. The next day. I spent the morning on routine legwork. In the twelve thirty I was back at the Willards South address. There was an old building with enough elevation to give its windows a view of Charlotte Emily's pleasant Harbor. I'd known Willard South.
Speaker 4: Spost aimother lived there, but I hadn't known about the man who met me.
Speaker 1: At the door.
Speaker 4: I'm Willard's brother. I was told you'd call yesterday, mister Dollar.
Speaker 1: Come in. Your mother was too upset to talk with me yesterday. You've gotten the news on what they found. I suppose, yes. I went down to see the boat. Has anything further been learned. Oh not, you sit down, mister Dollar. It's cooler here on the Verandah, ain't you.
Speaker 4: I wasn't here yesterday because I was searching for Willard's boat too.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised to learn Willard has a brother. I've asked a lot of questions about him in the village. Nobody mentioned you.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm only here a few days a year. My home is in Tampa. I arrived the first of the week Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Mmm. I'm glad I met you before I had to see a mother. It's a lot easier to be blunt with a brother. Blunt, mister Dollar. About Willard's reputation on the island, I can't seem to find anybody who doesn't hate him. I'm afraid you won't either. Do you know anyone who hated him enough to shoot him? Well, I hardly know how to answer that. I know a number of men have been hurt seriously by the ones that have lost wives. Yes, do you think he's dead? I don't know. The Only thing I'm sure of is that there was a shooting on his boat and somebody was hurt. I'm told your brother and his wife were seen leaving on it. At dusk night before last. Is that right? Yes, they'd packed an even meal. Meal had never been eaten. Well, little trips like this a regular habit of the Oh, no, they weren't at all.
Speaker 4: It was a special occasion. Georgina has never stopped hoping she could reform Willard and win him back.
Speaker 1: This trip was one more of her efforts. Did they say where they were going? No, but I thought it would be Cobra.
Speaker 4: That's a night at about twenty miles from here, in a westerly direction. Mother said, they started that way, but the boat was found almost forty miles in the other direction. It's a matter of sixty miles, Yes, sixty miles, mister Dollar.
Speaker 1: What could have happened in those sixty miles? I don't know yet, but I hope to find out. You knew about the skiff being cutlers, Yes, they told me.
Speaker 5: But well, dear yes, mother, who's with you?
Speaker 6: Is there any news?
Speaker 1: Nothing yet? Mother, This is mister Dollar from the insurance covernment.
Speaker 5: How do you do, mister dollar?
Speaker 4: Missus south, I'm sorry I have to meet you at a time like this.
Speaker 6: A great many crises in the past ten years have revolved around my son Willard. I've conditioned myself to expect him, even his death by violence, if that should be, Mother, please, But if harm has come to Georgina.
Speaker 1: There's no evidence of that, missus South, well, if.
Speaker 6: It does, I shall hold myself responsible mother, because I allowed her to become the wife of the beast I have called my son.
Speaker 1: There was a rare situation. There was no actual evidence that Willard South had been murdered, but almost everyone I talked to seemed to think he had been, simply because there were so many motives. One of the people who didn't think so was a newcomer to the island, So Robertson there to take advantage of the six weeks divorce law.
Speaker 5: Who told you about me?
Speaker 1: A bartender up the street? He said, you and South had been seen together recently.
Speaker 5: Yes, I know him.
Speaker 7: As a matter of fact, I've spent quite a bit of time with him in the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Where do you think he is?
Speaker 5: But I I don't know.
Speaker 1: Do you think he's dead?
Speaker 5: No? No, I don't.
Speaker 1: Most people do.
Speaker 5: Well, I can't help that. I know a lot of people don't like him.
Speaker 4: Would there be anyone close to you that doesn't like him.
Speaker 5: No, there wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I'm here alone when you see him.
Speaker 7: Last the afternoon before he and his wife disappeared in their boat.
Speaker 1: You answered that almost as if you knew you'd be ansked the question.
Speaker 5: Well, I didn't. I just remembered it was only a couple of days ago.
Speaker 1: But you wouldn't remember his mentioning anybody who might be out after his scalp. Eh. I understand he enjoys.
Speaker 5: That sort of thing you mentioned anybody.
Speaker 1: Why are you holding back, missus Robinson?
Speaker 5: Nothing. I don't have anything to hold back.
Speaker 1: Did he ever say anything to you about getting rid of his wife?
Speaker 5: I don't know what you mean.
Speaker 1: Look all we have to work where there's a bullet hole in the boat and some bloodstains that could have come from her or from him.
Speaker 5: He never said anything.
Speaker 1: And what are you afraid of?
Speaker 5: I'm not.
Speaker 7: Look, mister Dollar, Please, I I don't want to get my name mixed up in this.
Speaker 5: If I can help it, I'm here sort of. I'm good behavior.
Speaker 7: I know I was wrong to see him because he was married, But but what just because I.
Speaker 5: Did see him?
Speaker 7: I don't think I have to get mixed up in things like shooting something. I don't know about it all.
Speaker 1: I guess you can't be blamed for that. You don't have to get mixed up in it unless you already are all. That day plane searched the sea for the miss skiff. Boats too swept back and forth between the islands. It wouldn't seem possible that anything they missed would ever be found. But it was that evening, after the planes had given up in order to get back to their fields before dark, a radio report was received from one of the boats.
Speaker 4: The skiff had been found, and in it, still alive, was Missus with itself.
Speaker 1: I was with Officer Shoy when the boat was docked under the steady hand of a leathery old skipper with the help of one get some pains over, General, what's got here? All right?
Speaker 5: Take a strain now.
Speaker 4: If you can go aboard now, mister Dollar, right, Allo, Captain Breacon, throw yourself off the luck.
Speaker 1: He's good.
Speaker 8: Use these eyes for seventy two years from nothing else.
Speaker 1: Surely as Missus South, can she talk to us?
Speaker 8: She cannot. She's been put through a hard time.
Speaker 9: She gets turned over to doctor Gorr before she talks to anybody else.
Speaker 1: What about her husband? Did she say what happened.
Speaker 8: Yes she did.
Speaker 9: She's seen him shot down before her very eyes, and his dead body heaved to the sharks.
Speaker 5: And then somebody go fetch doctor Gorr.
Speaker 10: She needs some work, else she'll die.
Speaker 3: We'll return you to the second act of yours, truly, Johnny Dollar, in just a moment. Have you heard the news sing It Again? The new comedy of Jan Murray, your host on that Coast to coast bone, The new cash prizes for cracking the mystery of singing against pantom voice, The new speed and color of the tuneful little riddle songs that make Sing It Again a Saturday night must.
Speaker 1: For radio listening.
Speaker 3: You'll like the news sing It Again be listening for it tonight on most of these same CBS stations.
Speaker 1: Now, with our star.
Speaker 3: Edmund O'Brien, we return you to the second act of yours, truly, Johnny Dollar. It wasn't until the next morning that doctor God decided Missus South was strong enough to be questioned. He'd taken her to the single small hospital and Charlotte Emily at ten, he beckoned from the door to a room.
Speaker 8: I think it'll be all right, but please don't tire her.
Speaker 4: Mister teller. Yeah, I want you to question her. I never learned about a case like this one.
Speaker 1: I never did either anything. You say, all right, doctor.
Speaker 11: Georgina, this is Officer Shoy and this is mister Doner. Yes, mister Dollar is here to ask you some questions. But I don't want you to let him tire you. I'll try not to. Missus Allen, why are you here? I was sent down from the.
Speaker 4: States when you and your husband disappeared by your insurance company.
Speaker 5: Huh I see.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know it's pretty horrible to go back over it, but we've got to find out just what happened in that boat, and the quicker we do it, the quicker we can get to the bottom of it.
Speaker 5: I'll try to help.
Speaker 1: Captain Bracken told us just the bad details.
Speaker 8: He is the boat captain who found you. Remember I mentioned his name.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yes, he told us you saw somebody shoot your husband. Who was it?
Speaker 5: I don't know. There were two men. I've never seen them before.
Speaker 1: How did they get aboard?
Speaker 8: Missus?
Speaker 1: Sound?
Speaker 5: Oh? We run a widow glibra almost halfway.
Speaker 7: I think it was dark, and we saw a light blinking from another boat. Will said it was signal and somebody was in trouble, and we went over. This man said they'd run out of fuel and asked if we had any despair. But when Will pulled alongside it, this man jumped on our boat.
Speaker 5: Gun.
Speaker 8: Fuck d It's all right, Georgina.
Speaker 1: Don't go on if you don't want to.
Speaker 7: He shot shot Will, that's all it. He shot him, and then the other man jumped aboard to him.
Speaker 1: What did they say?
Speaker 5: I didn't say any anything.
Speaker 1: You think your husband knew them?
Speaker 5: No, No, he didn't know them.
Speaker 1: What did they do? Then?
Speaker 5: Well, one of them hit me because I was screaming up. I was wearing a bracelet me. He grabbed it off my roost and and then me take off two rings and get him to women.
Speaker 7: They took Will's wallet and they dragged him out, and then they pushed him into the water.
Speaker 5: Now I don't remember anymore, but.
Speaker 11: It's all right, Georgian, and nobody can hurt you now.
Speaker 8: No, generally, I think we'd better.
Speaker 4: Let her rest now, sure, doctor, I'm sorry we had a barley of missus.
Speaker 8: Sum I'm I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Don't be Considering what she's been through, I think she did very well.
Speaker 11: Actually, her physical condition except for exhaustion is quite good. She did have water during the time she was adrift, and some shelter from the sun. What do you make of it?
Speaker 1: The whole thing seems pretty brutal for simple robbery. Say, where's the nearest present? Surely for Puerto Rico.
Speaker 8: Now that's something that had not occurred to me.
Speaker 11: Escaped vis might carry out such a ruthless attack, might they not?
Speaker 4: Yeah, even more so, I will send cables to both of those prisons.
Speaker 1: I think you'd better. There was little enough to go on, but it was obviously useless to try to get any more information from missus South thing. Doctor Guy at every right to insist that we leave his patient belong. I was ashore. He went to his headquarters to cablest questions, and I went back to the waterfront. The skiff was still on the dock, but before I even got to it, I was hailed.
Speaker 8: Hey you're there. Whatever your name is?
Speaker 1: HOHI Captain Bracken, boh oh?
Speaker 8: How's the invalid? Have you heard?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I just left her. She'll be okay, Eh, lots of spunk that one.
Speaker 8: What are your figures behind it?
Speaker 1: She wasn't strong enough to tell us much, and I was a show. Is checking the possibility that those two men she talks about might be escaped convict say they might have been.
Speaker 4: I can't see anybody like that leaving her alive to talk about it.
Speaker 8: No matter how low the get. There's then the can't kill a woman. I suppose, Eh, what are you doing down here?
Speaker 1: I want to take a look at that skiff by daylight. The escape prisoner theory is too long a chance to rest on. It still may have been a local job. Now.
Speaker 9: I hate to see it turn out that way somehow.
Speaker 1: Why do you say that, oh, this wants to.
Speaker 9: Be a peaceful island. It's the truth. Nobody wastes any affection on willing. But if it been downright fitting, if two escape convicts done that devilion.
Speaker 1: I spent thirty minutes looking over the skiff, in another hour going over will it South's cruiser again? Nothing I dug out of either one added up. Neither did the results of a trip to the cable office. There had been no recent escapes from the prisons right from the beginning. For all my prying and all my questions, I hadn't gotten one positive lead. But by this time there were so many things I couldn't put my finger on that. I began to reason, why not make a weapon? But just that? So I started again with Luke Crag, the first person i'd met in the investigation. I found him about his boat. Donald once got into you anyway. I'm sick and tired of the run around and double talk I've been getting. I don't get it. You will. You were quick to make yourself available to me when I showed up here. Why, Gregor, I thought you needed some help. You wanted a boat, I had one. I think you mean somebody else needed help. That piece of line you pointed out, I was a shaw in me on South's cruiser, A short piece. Who cut it? I don't know how should I know who cut it? It's one of the things you better get straight. You said it had been used to tow the skiff, that the line of the skiff had not been cut. What does that mean that you were lying? Now? I'm no sailor, but why cut a line when loosening a couple of half hitches would free the skiff? But it was cut, wasn't it? The line you pointed out was cut, And you made your point that Will at South always trailed the skiff. Why because you wanted the search for it to go on, because you knew his wife was alive and would be found in it. I think the tropics have got you. Dollar. You don't think I can break this case down, do you? Because half of the non tourists on the island are willing to lie to cover up for her. I don't care how noble their loyalty is. This case is going to be broken down because there's a reason Coast Guard planes can search for three days and not find her. But that night after Doc, your friend Bracken can her story of the other boat and the two men. If the South Cruiser had been stolen, the other boat would have been found. Or do you know what happened? I know that a doctor will be here unless than eighteen hours. It will prove that Georgina South did not spend three days adrift. Dollar, you don't know what you're talking about. Where are you going the cad of the dock? No, wait a minute, you don't know what you're doing. Dollar.
Speaker 2: I was told to do when I was sent down here, Lee thinks, as they are ill to believe me, it's the right thing to.
Speaker 1: Do where I come from. Well, I can't let you stop. You heard her, Craiger, you heard him take it either, listen to me.
Speaker 12: Sometimes right the way you find it in the book isn't right? Remember that I told you?
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm sorry, missus sounds I didn't see you in the swing.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have barged.
Speaker 5: Then you startled me.
Speaker 6: I must have been dozing, it's been so little sleep.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know. I went to the hospital first. They told me that Georgina had come home. Yes, I'll have to see it.
Speaker 5: Please, Why must you see her, mister Dollar?
Speaker 1: I think you know. You know Willard's brother knows Captain Bracken as crewman, know Lu Craiger, doctor guard, and sure how many others? Well I'm afraid of Please please watch the use. You shouldn't have tried it, no matter how you felt, you should have realized that it wouldn't work, even way down here in the Virgin Islands. A murderer is hard to protect.
Speaker 5: Where is she who told you this?
Speaker 1: There were too many mistakes. Lou Craiger made the biggest one.
Speaker 6: You too are making one, mister Dollar.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, missus. South murderer's murdered.
Speaker 6: They speak of heredity and environment. Many say that heredity will never be overcome. Others say that environment will win out. But both are right and both are wrongs. The South, my husband and I took our boys from the poorest foundling home we could find. Paul Is one of the best will it Willard didn't deserve to live. He became more bestial every day. He couldn't live any longer. No more secrets, georging h my dear, I must tell mister Dollar the truth. It's I Who've been hiding behind my friends. I'm the murderer. I killed Willis. I have I had to before he destroyed us.
Speaker 1: All expense account Item too eighty five dollars and forty cents miscellaneous expenses and Charlotte Emily I had am free same as item one transportation back to Hartford expense account total three hundred and seventy three dollars. Remarks I'd have the confession as a false one when I heard it, and I'm not charging the company over the time I spent trying to prove it false, but it wasn't. It was true, And so is awkward fact that a large number of the lead villages are liable as accessories after the fact of murder. It should develop into quite a trial. Yours Truly, Johnny Donar.
Speaker 3: Yours Truly Johnny Dollar stars Edmond O'Brien in the title role and is written by Gil Dowd with music by Wilbur Hatch. Edmond O'Brien's latest pictures, the Paramount Pictures production, The Redhead and the Cowboy. Featured in tonight's cast were Irene Hubbard as Evangela Jan Minor as Georgina, Gilbert Macuslow, Fran Lafferty as the Leste, Ed Latimer s Sam Maurice Tarplin as Shoy, and Bernard Linrowe as the Doctor. This is all Entice inviting you to join us next week at this time when Edmond O'Brien turns, and another transcribed adventure.
Speaker 1: Of Yours Truly, Johnny Darwin.
Speaker 3: Everybody wants to help America's defense program, and part of everybody's duty is to be extremely careful with the handling of fire.
Speaker 1: This is especially true in wooden.
Speaker 3: Territory, where forest fires can cause terrible losses in valuable natural resources, lives, and manpowered Nine out of every ten of these disastrous fires can be prevented because they're man made. Don't leave fire prevention to the other fellow. Only you can prevent forest fires. Stay tuned now for five minutes of the latest news. This is CBS where you laugh attack Benny every Sunday night. The Columnia Broadcasting system