Speaker 1: Well look at that. Here we are gathered around the old podcast on this Thursday. Today is the twentieth day of November, Year of Our Lord, twenty twenty five. My name is Tom Sullivan. Where do you want to start Today? We've finally a jobs report out, We've got some things on the economy. Dick Cheney's funeral was today at the National Cathedral in Washington. Well, let's start with Maam Donnie. This is going to be interesting to see. I don't know. People are all worried about his supporters think that he might be walking into a trap because Zoran Mondnnie is going to the White House tomorrow to meet with President Trump. And well, he says that he wants to talk to the President about affordability. The President says he's willing to talk. Here's what Mom Donnie has said, what he's going to talk to Donald Trump about.
Speaker 2: I want to just speak plainly to the President about what it means to actually stand up for New Yorkers and the way in which New Yorkers are struggling to afford the city and frankly, cost of living is something that I heard time and time again from New Yorkers about why they voted.
Speaker 3: For Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: So the President was getting on Air Force One the other day a couple of days ago and was asked about would he meet with ma'am Donnie. Here's what he's the mayor of New York. I will say it, would like to meet with and we'll work something out.
Speaker 4: But he would like to come to Washington and meet and we'll work something out.
Speaker 1: We want to see everything work out well for New York. So everybody talking nice, nice about a meeting with each other. But this is what ma'm Doney said in his speech just a couple of days ago. Not it wasn't. It was a different tone.
Speaker 5: If anyone can show a nation betrayed by Donald Trump how to defeat him, it is the city that gave rise to him. So, Donald Trump, since I know you're watching, I have four words for you.
Speaker 1: Turn the volume up. Well I'm not quite sure what that means. Turned the volume up. I really don't. I don't know. I don't know how you take it. But the other part about it, did you hear what he says? He says, and I know your watch Donald Trump. He's been saying that at almost any gathering where there are television cameras. He is saying, I know you're watching Donald Trump. He has a big view of himself. He may be a socialist, he may be a communist. I don't know. All I know is that he's a big narcissist. Hey really thinks that he is the center of the universe. But here's the thing, and I'm glad that Mam Donnie brought this up because everybody, every politician, always talks about in one way or the other, affordability. And at first President Trump was, you know, that's a Democrat thing. That's not true. It's a hoax. He's embracing it now because every politician in the two ladies that won the governorship of Virginia and New Jersey, they promised that they would get prices down. President Trump promised that he would get prices down. Ma'am Donnie is saying, I'm going to get free buses and free childcare and freeze, and I'm gonna get prices down, and we're gonna make it. We're gonna make New York City more affordable. I can tell you, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, New York City has never been affordable. It's a very expensive city. It has for us as long as I've lived here, and long before I moved in, it's always been probably one of the most expensive cities in the world. So are people going to if if people are gonna hold Donald Trump to you said you were gonna make it more affordable, You're gonna bring prices down. Are they gonna hold the new governor of Virginia, the new governor of New Jersey, Uh, the new mayor of New York City? Are they gonna hold them accountable for getting prices down? And bottom line is there's some things that government can do, but they can't do a lot. It's the private sector is the marketplace which deturn rmans whether prices go up or go down. So we'll see what happens. But the meeting's going to take place tomorrow, and people are warning ma'am Donnie his supporters, Ah, you're walking into a trap. I don't think so. I think Donald Trump he's a slick guy. He knows what to do. So this whole thing about Democrat socialists is starting to spread. We told you the Bear of Seattle is another one that is basically echoing Mamdannie and uh, we'll find out how she does But now there's a new filing for a Democrat socialist has filed to run against Hakim Jeffries, the Congressman from Brooklyn. And now the question is are the Democrat socialists taking over the Democrat Party? And if so, should HAKEM. Jeffries be nervous? Well, the question was asked of Harryington, so.
Speaker 6: I don't think he should be preted. I mean, look, you're either running unopposed or scared. Is for Talings, the great senator from South Carolina one said before he lost before, No, he.
Speaker 1: Says a retired you're retired, You're retired.
Speaker 6: He got out of South Carolina before they really run against the Democrats.
Speaker 7: But take a look here, I think this really gives.
Speaker 6: You an indication of why I think the primary challenge. One of the big reasons I think the primary challenge that King Jeffies will likely fail net favorability among Democrats. You know, nationally, Remember there was all this energy not just locally but nationally from Mamdanie, and there's all this national energy against Chuck Schumer. But Akim Jeffries and Chuck Schumer on different planets. Here you look at January, the net Fairbrilly rating, they're pretty close, plus twenty two for Jeffreys, plus eleven for Schumer. But over the course of the year, Jeffery's net favorability among Democrats, he's actually gone up. That's gone up to plus twenty nine points. Look overhere, Chuck Schumer is he's underwater with Democrats in the most recent Fox News pault minus two points. But at this point Hakim Jefferies is running over thirty points better with Democrats nationally than Chuck Schumer's. The anger on the left is much more so against Chuck Schumer than it is against Hakim Jefferies. Most Democrats think that the King Jefferies is actually doing a pretty good jea. This is okay, So we can go into New York City, right, we can go. And we had that mayoral election just a few weeks ago, and I think there's this idea, right, you know, obviously it.
Speaker 1: Is around Umdani very much on the left.
Speaker 6: But what was the percentage of Democrats and the percentage of Mundanni voters who actually consider themselves democratic socialists.
Speaker 7: In the election a few weeks ago?
Speaker 6: In fact, it was the minority of Mumdani voters forty three percent. Phill a pretty large number, but the minority forty three percent who said they were Democratic socialists. And then you look among Democrats in general, and it's thirty six percent. And it's thirty six percent. The majority of Democrats in New York City and the New York eight district looks a lot like New York City. And look at least in terms of the mayoral vote back in the primary.
Speaker 7: You see it here thirty six percent.
Speaker 6: So the majority of Democrats in New York City and likely in New York eight do not consider themselves Democratic socialists. It's a fairly large percentage, but thirty six does not get you north of the fifty percent that you would need to defeat you. The Democratic parties become more left, but not that far. Y all right, Okay, see again, you know, you look at the prediction market odds. Here the chance to win the New York LA Democratic nomination. You see a Kim Jeffries has the majority chance at this point eighty percent chance in twenty twenty six. That number has actually climbed over the course of this week as Mamdani has come out against that primary challenge to Hakeem Jefferies. And I actually think this number is a little bit. Well, look, anything can happen in politics, but at this particular point, Hakim Jefferies looks like the likely favorite, likely to win another term, likely to win renomination.
Speaker 1: Well we'll see. I mean, all of a sudden, you got this Democrat socialis who's running against Hakim Jeffrey. So we'll see what comes out of all of that. So, speaking to politics, I know this is a strange segue, but the funeral for Dick Cheney was held today at the National Cathedral in Washington, DC. And the reason why I tie this next to the political topic is because of the fact of the people that went to the funeral. This was a who's who of Washington DC. You had all the well, most of the recent vice presidents were there. You've got Mike Pence was there, Joe Biden and doctor Jill were there. Kamala Harris, the previous Vice president, she was there. Al Gore, Dan Quayle, John Bayner, Lindsey Graham, Nancy Pelosi, who had nothing good to say about Dick Cheney ever, was there. Mitch McConnell, Bill Cassidy, Lisa Murkowski, John Barrasso. Anyway, there's a whole bunch of people's gray hair that were there that I don't know who they were, but the catheter was full. But it was all these big Democrats and big Republicans. I mean, you've got to look back at Dick Cheney's time in Washington. He was in high office in Washington for fifty years. Five oh. He was youngest chief of staff. He started Richard Nixon's administration. He was the chief of staff to President Gerald R. Ford. He went on to become a congressman for a decade. He was a defense secretary under George H. W. Bush. He was Vice president under George W. Bush. So you look at this and you go, Okay, he's been there a long time, and a lot of people certainly cross passed with him. But I thought, I don't know, I thought it was kind of phony that all these people who had nothing good to say about Dick Chenney when he was alive were all there at the funeral service at the National Cathedral today. I don't know. I mean. And by the way, he wasn't just a Republican. He was This is the part that bothers me about the fallout with Donald Trump. And by the way, Donald Trump and the Vice President JD. Vance were notably not at the funeral today. They were not invited. So there was bad blood between Dick Cheney and his daughter versus Trump and JD. Vance, which is sad, but it just was what I mean, It's okay they disagreed with each other. But Dick Cheney, I don't want to see the fact that he was probably the most conservative Vice president and congressman that you will find in the Republican Party. But what he represented was the old guard, the old Republican Party. Certainly the mag of people turned on not only him but also the old Guard. I'm totally convinced of it. Here's a little bit from Mike Pince who was asked about Dick Cheney when he before he went into the into the National Cathedral.
Speaker 4: Well, I think Vice President Dick Cheney is going to be remembered as an American patriot, but an extraordinary public servant when you think of a lifetime that spanned and not only service in Congress where he was in leadership, but being one of the youngest chiefs of staff for a president with President Gerald Ford going on to be the Secretary of Defense for President George Herbert Walker Bush and then, of course Vice President of President George Shelvy Borsh.
Speaker 2: And there are very.
Speaker 4: Few Americans who have served at such levels with such distinction as Dick Cheney. But I think more than that, Jeff, I think he will be remembered as a man who was there at critical moments in the life of the nation. In the wake of Watergate, we had President Gerald Ford who made that hard decision part of the president mixing and moved the country forward to a time to heal. Dick Cheney was there as as Chief of Staff Operation Desert Storm under President Georgia, but Walker Bush, where he was Secretary of Defense in an extraordinary American military victory, and then of course being there on September eleventh, a day those of us who were serving in Washington at the time will never forget. I believe his steady hand through all those years contributed mightily to the life of the nation, and who we remembered an honored for that.
Speaker 1: Well. Mike Pint obviously he's always sounds like he's scripted, but I thought his comments were nice. Timneth Polly, who was a presidential historian, reflected on Dick Cheney today.
Speaker 8: I remember I took a group with my colleague at the University of Virginia. We took a group of students to the CIA for a visit.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 8: We were at a pretty high level. It was a guide, but let's say a guide who was complaining to us. He probably shouldn't have been about how difficult was because the Vice President had just been there with a team to scrub some estimates and scrub some intelligence. And this was something completely new in the in the history of US intelligence for the Vice President to go to Wrangley and basically to tell the analysts and the and the operators to show me this what he believed this, And Jene was pushing the line that there's a connection between al Qaeda and it's I'm the same at that.
Speaker 9: Point, and he was very upfront again about the fact that being the one in the White House on nine to eleven, when the President was traveling that day, being the one in the White House bunker to have to give the orders to potentially shoot down a commercial aircraft fell filled with civilians, but potentially to be used as a missile.
Speaker 7: After we saw that happening already changed him.
Speaker 1: From so I guess that's what you do at funerals, you say nice things. Even Jonathan Alter, who is a far far, far far left guy had no use for any Republican ever, made these comments about Cheney.
Speaker 7: Well, he was the most powerful vice president in the history of the United States, full stop. You know, the role was not considered very important until Jimmy Carter's vice president, Walter Monde. That's where it started to become of more important office of government. And non Bald. Some other vice presidents, including Alba and had a lot of authority, but not anywhere close to what Cheney had. And so his fingerprints, especially in the first Bush tram run everything, particularly in the national security area, and particularly in that world Rock, which mars his record because even the Bush administration don't believe it was a successful room.
Speaker 1: So even Jonathan Alter recognized that Dick Cheney was the most powerful vice president we've ever had in our nation's history. So, as far as political stinks go, there's one going around today on the left side media, they're all upset. They're all upset because President Trump reacted to the tape that six Democrats put out yesterday reminding members of the military that they can disobey on illegal order and I'm very I haven't had a chance to go back and look at the six and see if they spent any time in the military. I highly doubt it. I did see an interview with a Democrat congressman who had military experience, and he said, exactly what any of us that ever served in the military know. They drill it into your head from the first day, whether you're at boot camp or at branch school, or wherever you might be, They've drill into your head that you can you do not obey illegal orders, but you must obey legal orders. And so these Democrats decided to go out, Well, let me play the tape for you and you can. We'll talk about here in just a second.
Speaker 7: This administration is pitying our uniform, military and intelligence community professional steak against American citizens like us. You all sworn oaths.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 7: The threats to our constitution aren't just coming from road, from right here at home. Our laws are clear. You can refuse illegal orders. You can refuse illegal orders. You must refuse illegal orders.
Speaker 1: So the President reacted to all by saying that that was basically sedition and is punishable by death. And so all of the all of the Democrats and had spent some I don't know who comes up with this idea to have this tape where they were all going to say that you do not obey an illegal order. So the President was just said, well, it looks like it's sedition that's punishable by death. They're all having major cows today about what the President said.
Speaker 9: It.
Speaker 1: Come on, Democrats, why do you let Donald Trump pull your chain so easily. You're the one who did this kind of stupid tape. Anybody and everybody in the military knows you do not obey an illegal order, but you do obey a legal order. And that I saw one of the anchorrets I forget, one of the one of the cable channels was talking about the fact, well, you can't leave this up. No, I know who it was. It was Jillian Turner on Fox and she I don't think she knows what she's talking about. She said, well, you don't leave it up to the individual member of the military to make that decision. Yes, you do, as a soldier, as a sailor, as a marine, all the branches. It's up to you, as an individual member of the military to decide whether you're going to obey an illegal order or not. And if you're wrong, well you're going to spend some time in the break because if you're wrong because you disobeyed a legal order, that's what is over the head of every single member of the military. Anyway, there's a big deal being made about it today and I thought it was rather ridiculous. You want to talking about jobs. The jobs report came out today, Today's November twentieth. Yeah, the job report came out today for September. Huh, what you think that's a little late. Well, well, you know why is because they shut everything down, so they had this September jobs report. Now, remember when they do the job's survey is called the payroll reference week, which is the pay period that includes the twelfth of the month. So that means they had the September twelfth. They took the numbers and then they weren't able to produce them on the first Friday of October because the government was shut down. The government reopened on November twelfth, so we didn't get Septembers. They never did the survey for October. We will get the November numbers on December, the first Friday of December. But this September job report is ancient history. I think it's meaningless. Bottom line, one hundred and nineteen thousand payrolls were added. That was much stronger than the estimate of fifty thousand there were. Unemployment rate went up to four point four percent, that is a four year high. The participation rate, how many people participated in working, unchanged at sixty two point four percent. Average hourly earnings this is how did your paycheck do versus inflation. It was a little weaker than expected. Average hourly earnings up year over year three point eight percent. Inflation's at three point one percent, so you earned more than inflation, but by a hair The U six which is the long term unemployed eight percent. So this is an okay report. But what it says to the Fed who going to be meeting in the second week of December, So this is the last unemployment report they'll get before their meeting. No, they'll get no, I'm sorry, They'll get the November report then they'll have their meeting, and I'm What it says is that the labor part of this is worry. People worried about labor slowing down. It looks like it's weakening, but it's not that weak. It's not that bad, not at all. So now the President, of course wants the FED to cut interest rates, and he was in his speech last night brought up that point. He was making a reference to Scott Bessnt, the Treasury Secretary, who was in the audience.
Speaker 7: I mean, Scott, you got to work at this guy. He's got some real mental problems and there's something wrong with him.
Speaker 1: It's just.
Speaker 7: I'd be honest, I'd love to fire his tea should be. Guy's grossly incompetent. The only thing Scott's blowing in on is the FED, because that's fed.
Speaker 1: The rakes it to high. Scott. I want to get him out, Scott.
Speaker 7: Please, he's avosive reason.
Speaker 3: You're very lucky you have him.
Speaker 1: Many Howard would say, get him to hell out of there. So that's that's President Trump being President Trump. He does not like j. Powell. He's made it very clear. Pal Is. His term expires in May, so there will be a decision made probably next month on who his successor will be. Former Vice Chairman of the FED, Roger Ferguson I like him a lot. He's a very smart man, and he reacted to this jobs report this way.
Speaker 3: I think all, all these numbers suggests an economy that's still hanging in there, not a dramatic move one way or the other. People should take note of the slight uptick and intent great, but late participatient still looks pretty strong. Ad early city looks strong or strong enough. And so I don't think this sort of shows stay the cut decision much one way the other. Frankly, anyone to look at this and find what they want. But overall, I think this is the sign of a labor market that's turning in there and the economy of atturning in there against the background as you put out of acting markets at Seiney rally.
Speaker 1: So now the betting is on about what will the Fed do in their December meeting. You heard President Trump once rates cut, but the Fed future's rate Wall Street betting on will the Fed cut rates in December, And the answer is sixty four percent say that they will not cut interest rates in December. So we'll see what happens. But that's where the future, the Fed funds future is guessing on a Fed cut rate in December. Sits as of this report that came out this morning. So watching the markets today after the Nvidio came out with their earnings last night and were solidly above on revenue on income. Just to put everything, they did so well, they beat the guidance from Wall Street the revenue of the income. Now everybody's was thinking, well, that takes away the fear of a of a AI bubble because the Nvidia is the big I guess, the indicator that people are following about whether or not we have an AI bubble, and they've been on a very strong up trend. So once they beat everything, people said, well, therefore there's no AI bubble. Well, that's that's some people. So the market started off this morning with a lot of people buying. In fact, the market was up four or five hundred points right out of the gate this morning. Then people started well, first of all, I think there's a lot of peopleeople who wait for that because it was predictable, and then stepped in and sold. But there's still a worry about an AI bubble. So Ray Dalyo, who runs the biggest hedge fund in the world, he is a multi billionaire. He calls the market extremely well, that's why he has the biggest hedge fund, And he was asked about are we in a bubble.
Speaker 7: There's definitely a bubble in markets bumbles. What is a bubble? What is what is a bubble? A bubble is that there's a lot of creation of wealth from various ways, such as you decide that you're going to have a sell fifty billion dollars with the stock and value it out trading dollars, or you have multiples of that, and then you create the wealth out way. And then the question, if they love this wealth relative to money is who needs the money? So it's a matter of who the buyers and sellers are. For example, if we had a wealth tax, or if you have a type in a monetary policy, then there has to be the selling of those assets so in order to pay those things. So there's a mechanics of who owns it, is it over owned, and so on. It's not the long term duration of the earnings. So you think about it, isn't it interesting that we have such a short term reaction. It's great that what the results are, but this is what it's valued as a long duration asset. So for twenty five years, the next twenty five years, it's very unknown. We don't know what's going to happen, and bubbles don't go happen because of good estimates of what in the future. It happens because of the need for cash. Do you sell that asset? Do you have to sell that asset for cash for someone.
Speaker 1: That isn't a game? An interesting example about if there was a wealth tax and a bunch of wealthy people had to sell their wealth in order to raise cash, that could cause a bubble to pop. And I don't see any support for a wealth tax other than maybe the Democrat socialist but other than that group, I just don't see it in the near horizon. The judge that ruled on the case of the state of Texas doing the redistricting and the fact that they had to throw out that they could not use the new map that they drew, which then changes the balance where California went ahead and got their map drawn that will provide more Democrats, Texas had their map drawn that would provide more Republicans. Judge throws out Texas. Does that mean that California then has the upper hand and will provide more Democrats for the midterm elections? Well, Governor Greg Abbott of is not happy with this particular judge.
Speaker 10: Well First of all, with regard to that statement, there was actually zero adveress of any racial judgment playing any role in the decision making process. But that Judge Brown who wrote that opinion, he was just reversed last year in a different redissrating decision.
Speaker 7: He was wrong last year, he's wrong this year.
Speaker 10: The senior judge you were pointing out, Jerry Smith, he was the only person on that panel from the physical Court of Appeals.
Speaker 1: He was exactly right.
Speaker 10: He's never seen and I have never seen a judgment an opinion so erroneous in its writing, And it looked like Judge Brown geared his writing to try to achieve a result. And that's something that the United say Supreme Court, I think, is just not going to tolerate.
Speaker 1: So, in other words, this goes on, it's going to go to the Supreme Court and they're going to get it reversed again. The Supreme Court in the past has said you can readistrict all you want states as long as you do it for political reasons, because we the judicial branch, are not going to interfere in political affairs. But we will interfere if you draw a map based upon race. And that is where the judge said the Texas map was based on race and that the California map was based on politics, so that still has a long ways to get sorted out. Wall Street today, well, like I said, it started off up four five hundred points, but that is not where we finished. This is the biggest midday reversal since back on Liberation Day back in April. And this is all about Nvidio. So the Dow today down, like I said, it was up for five hundred points, finished down three hundred and eighty six. The Dow closed to forty five thousand and seven fifty two SMP down one hundred undred and three. That's a huge drop for them, Nazdak even a bigger percentage, dropped down four hundred and eighty six points. It's more than a two percent drop. Price of gold fell six dollars to four thousand and seventy six. Oil fell less than twenty cents down to fifty nine dollars for one barrel of oil. So that's it for today. Thank you for coming by today. We'll dry this again tomorrow. Hope to see you then.