Speaker 1: I want to welcome everyone back to the Peking Jana Show. I'm here with Jay Otto. That's your whole name, I want to I want to say your whole name. I'm going to call you Odo.
Speaker 2: But Jonathan Auto Pole.
Speaker 1: Is awesome, awesome. How are you doing Ato?
Speaker 2: Knowing? Good?
Speaker 1: Good? Tell everybody a little bit about yourself first time on the show.
Speaker 2: I have a PhD. I got fairly late. I was in my thirties from the School of Oriental and African Studies at the University of London, and I have a total of four books published, the most recent one two years ago. The year is a Great Silence published by Ibidem ver Lagh and Stute Gart, dealing with the ethnic Germans in the Soviet Union during World War Two, mostly, although it has chapters both before and after the Second World War. I worked overseas as a history lecturer for twelve years in Kyrgyzstan, Ghana and Iraq in the Kurdish region, and I am currently living in New Mexico, where I came originally to be a middle school teacher, but the dress of it almost caused me to die in the classroom, so I am now currently working as a janitor for a grocery store.
Speaker 1: Do you see yourself possibly get getting on with a university or do you now.
Speaker 2: The overseas jobs are pretty dry much dried up, as as anything in my specific disciplinary field. But I've applied to maybe three thousand jobs in the US for assistant professor positions, and I think I got maybe ten interviews, but the last one would have been in two thy twenty one, So it keeps getting more and more difficult. At this point, it's a better use of resources just to buy lottery tickets.
Speaker 1: Well, someone turned me onto your sub stack twentieth century musings in the twenty first century, and I read two articles specifically that I got a lot out of, and that's what I wanted to ask you to come on and talk about. They both deal with the same subject but different different operations in Soviet Russia. So the first article that I read was the myth that Jews were the ethnic group most persecuted by the Soviet regime the Great Terror and national operations? Why do people think that the What has caused people to believe that Jews were the most persecuted group by the so.
Speaker 2: Well, for the thirty seven thirty eight I think it's because there is a even a book, but you personally used to be a good historian, and then she completely sold out out of Canada. Lynn Viola, she wrote a very good book on de Koulokization, the deportation of culos to special settlement areas, particularly in the far North in the Arctic Circle, called the Unknown Gulag. But Lynn Viola then wrote a book I kind of remember the title of it, but basically it was about the purge of Jewish Nkvday agents, a couple hundred of them from the top ranks of the NKA Day in November nineteen thirty eight, and how they were the real victims. But if you look at how many people were arrested and either executed or sent a labor camp by the same people, it's obviously you know, this would be like writing a book saying that the people that tanged at Nuremberg with the real victory of the Holocaust. But because of the way political power is structured in North America, she can of course get away with it. So Yagoda, the head of the NKVA Day from nineteen thirty four to nineteen thirty six, who was executed Israel Leaplevski, who was the head of the NKVDAY in Ukraine during the thirty seven thirty eight terror including the Polish and German operations. Boris Burman, the head of the NKV DAY in Belarus during this time in thirty seven and thirty eight. Genrik Lyushkov wasn't executed by the Soviets that he fled to Manchuria and the Japanese executed him, but he was responsible for the thirty seven ethnic cleansing of Koreans from the Far East. So these people are prominent in the show trials and execution in November thirty eight, all the way up until the nineteen forty one. But they're only a couple hundred of them. But I think where they're looking at they're saying, well, look at the prominent Jewish communists, like and even earlier kamen ethan Zineviv. The first show trials executed were former Jewish Pullet Bureau members. But if you take the total numbers, it's only a couple hundred people. And at this time you had almost seventy eight thousand ethnic Poles and forty six thousand ethnic Germans executed. Specifically because they were German or Polish in thirty seven and thirty eight.
Speaker 1: So what do those numbers look like? What was the Jewish population of Russia at that time? What percentage were they?
Speaker 2: They were one point eight percent of the total population, about five and a half percent of the Communist Party, But under Yagoda and Yejaf the NKFA day they were between almost forty percent I think, with thirty eight point five percent and twenty percent up until the purged by Beeria of them in November thirty eight. Of the top one hundred or so NKVA Day officers, including and I said, the Jagota himself number one man Lapleski, number one man for the Ukrainian Soviet Solis Republic, Boris Berman, number one man for bill Russian Soviet Socist Republic, Genrik Lyushkov, the Far Eastern Kry, the head of the Gulag from nineteen thirty to nineteen thirty eight, the three men Kogan, mattve Berman, who was the brother Boris Berman, he was in power as head of the Gulag from thirty two to thirty seven, and then Israel Plinner. So you really have during the nineteen thirties when you have de kulakization, the Helota more and of course the Great Terror in thirty seven and thirty eight, complete with national operations against diaspora group but not Jews because they didn't have an independent homeland at that time about two hundred and fifty thousand, the largest group being the Poles and second German and then coming up Latvians.
Speaker 1: Well, what was the justification basically for the extermination of Poles and Germans and.
Speaker 2: Latvians because they were they were diaspora groups that had independent states outside of the Soviet Union, and so it was deemed that because as they were ethnically and the Soviet idea of ethnos is that culture is primordial, it kind of combines idea of primordial culture with biological determinism through indogamy, that is, the groups don't marry out much. Culture continues to be reproduced through intermarriage of their only within their group. So it deemed that these people ultimately were politically suspect that they when it came down to it, they would owe their political allegiance not to the Soviet Union, but to the government in Warsaw or the government in Berlin or the government in Riga, depending which the Asport group you are talking about.
Speaker 1: Is that why they didn't go after the Jews because they didn't have a homeland yet.
Speaker 2: In big part, yes, because they start to in a much less violent and much more toned down measures, because they've gotten rid of the massive violence by then at the end of the Stalin era, so you have the anti cosmopolitan campaign under Jondanov and then of course the Doctor's plot the very end of Stalin's life, and in the post Dollen era you have later after the break between the Soviet government and Israel, anti Zionist campaigns within the Soviet Union. But there's never any mass arrest or mass deportations or mass executions of Jews with Soviet citizenship. The one case of mass deportation of Jews by the Soviet government was about fifty thousand Polish Jews that fled German occupied Poland into the Soviet occupied Era area in nineteen thirty nine nineteen forty, and in nineteen forty they were given the choice they either accept the Soviet passports and citizenship or they would be forcibly relocated as special settlers, and so about fifty thousand refused to take Soviet citizenship. Wanting to keep their Polish citizenship and were forcibly resettled, but almost all of the survivors and their death rates were much lower than those The Polish Catholics that were deported this time were released two years later in forty one, with the agreement between the Polish government and exile and the Soviet government to allow Polish citizens to be evacuated out of the Soviet Union into Iran.
Speaker 1: Going back to the two hundred that Stalin killed, why did he get rid of them?
Speaker 2: Because they were closely associated with the former heads of the nkvaday that had been removed, In part because Stalin believed they were creating their own kind of political fiefdoms that were independent of him and could challenge him, and also largely because the Buria, who was a fellow Georgian appointed by Stalin, wanted to clear out all of the men that had been appointed by You go to Yashav and appointed own men. So you see the NKVA day after November thirty eight, far fewer Jews, they go down from twenty percent to four percent in the leadership, but a lot more Georgians, a lot more Russians, a lot more Ukrainians and a lot more ethnic Armenians, and most of those Armenians from Georgia, people like the Kobolov brothers associated with Buria.
Speaker 1: So a lot of people point to the Doctor's Plot. I think Francis Parkriyaki looked at the Doctor's Plot and deem that the Soviet Union at that point was going in a anti Semitic direction. Do you see that because of the because of the Doctor's Plot and how it was handled or was that a misreading?
Speaker 2: Well no, I mean it was aimed at Jews. But the thing is the number of people that were arrested and killed is still name, you know, a small fraction. We're talking hundreds of people, whereas we look at just the executions and the German operation and the Polish operations, we're talking tens of thousands of people. Ultimately, the diaspor groups targeted in thirty seven thirty eight were all together equal to the Jewish population one point eight percent of the population, but they formed two hundred and fifty thousand out of seven hundred thousand executions, so over a third.
Speaker 1: So let's go back to the to the executions by the I'm out executed by the nationality polls were the biggest, were the biggest. How many Poles were there?
Speaker 2: About total seventy eight thousand were executed, not all in the Polish operation, some of them in what's called the Kulak operation and some other operations, but and the Polish operation itself, not everybody executed it. With Polish it was about one hundred and ten thousand people executing it, so you know, some almost thirty thousand were bil of Russian and then Ukrainians and other nationality. The German operation had about fifty five thousand execution, of which about twenty nine thousand, I mean fifty five thousand convictions, which about forty two thousand were executed, about twenty nine thousand the Germans. But when you add in Germans executed in other operations like the Kulak operation, which was much harder than the German operation. In the Voca German assr most of the German executions for the German operation we're in Ukraine and then the next area hit hard with Siberia. We're talking forty six thousand or so Germans executed in nineteen thirty seven nineteen thirty eight.
Speaker 1: How did they execute them?
Speaker 2: Bullet to the back of the head of a nine millimeters pistol usually tokarah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, let's move forward to the deportations and resettlements. Why only the deportations and resettlements. Why aren't they why aren't they going through the uh through the trouble of killing these people.
Speaker 2: Well, when Berria replaces Jajov and most of the executions for political reasons as well as other reasons. There's there's under the stalin are. Almost all executions are for political crimes. They occurred at thirty seven and thirty eight, which is the time Yajaf who was a mixed ancestry. His father was Russian and his mother was Lithuanian, and he was from Vilnos. One of the reasons they suspect he particularly hated Polish people on the Polish operation. When he was placed by Berria, it was it deemed that these maths executions were wasteful because you did not get any labor out of the people you were shooting, right, So instead it would deem that the better way was to punish people in a way which you could get some work out of them, although conditions were so horrible. Often people would not be able to work for very long before they became sick or even died, so Biria moved everything to forced labor from the execution that had been prominent under the Yeja.
Speaker 1: How are there so many at one point Jews in Possessions of Power? Celes Kin's book The Jewish Century, you know, shows that even in the beginning it wasn't great, but it grows, and it grows famously. People said, when Trotsky came back from New York, the people he brought with them were almost almost every single one of them were Jews. Were they Russians? Were they born Russian? Were they from somewhere else? Was this a Jewish?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean in the Pullet Bureau, the first Pullitt Bureau after these Bolshevik tic power has seven people, and four of them are Jewish according to the Soviet records, So those are Trotsky obviously born in Ukraine. Kamin F' his father was Jewish, but is identified in almost all the literature as an ethnic Jew Zenoviv and a guy named Solokanoff, which I can't find much information on him, and it doesn't seem anybody else can, but the Soviet information indicates his Nasanale notes was Jewish. That's about all I know. And there were some other high ranking officials later that were not in that in the Pullet Bureau for very long and Sparedlofsk who was responsible for the killing of the Czar, led the hit squad, but was also the man who kept the records for organization of the party, a position that Stalin later took over and allowed him to consolidate control over the Communist Party of the Soviet Union. But so in the beginning, you see there's at least three powerful Jews Trotsky, Kama athan Zenevich in the Soviet Pullet Buro, and they're there from nineteen seventeen to nineteen twenty six, and by in nineteen twenty six. In nineteen twenty seven, Stalin begins removing them as the potential actual opposition until called left opposition, and they are by nineteen twenty eight. He has consolidated his power and there's a brief period of time and there's no Jews in the Pullet Burerou, and then Stalin appoints Kaganoch, who was fiercely loyal to Stalin all the way up until his death, right before the Soviet Union collapsed. So Kaganovic, if there had ever made any criticism of Stalin near the end of his life's veiled that Stalin wasn't harsh enough, didn't kill enough people.
Speaker 1: So is it a lot of just nepotism where one person would get appointed and then they'd bring in somebody, and they'd bring in kin folk and it would just start growing and growing. Like you said that one of the reasons for the purge was it seemed like they were trying to consolidate power into themselves.
Speaker 2: Well for Jewish domination of the NKVT officer corps and going back also the Oka pay Ooh, it's the predecessor. We don't have as good of records. Memorial, which is now illegal in Russia, has compiled off the Natinale nots of all of the high ranking NKVD officers from nineteen thirty four to nineteen forty one. It appears that a lot of these people were appointed by Yagoda and they continued on under Yeja and then Biria removes them. But there's also the fact when you look at the Gulag leadership, which is a subsection of the nk day and later and earlier had been under okay ooh. What Ann Applebaum says is that the Gulag leadership and administration with a dumping ground for those people in the nkvday that were considered not to be very competent or smart. But the leadership you look at Berman is really responsible for growing it from nineteen thirty two to thirty seven. Is number two man is Israel plinner and nathlete Frankel, one of the few Gulag chiefs that stands out as actually being very, very smart, has a lot written about him by Alexander Solzanitsen and the Gulag ar Pellago. He had originally come from Haifa and God to the Russia to be a merchant and then ended up getting incarcerated during Lenin's time in the Slovaki camps in the Far North, but he kept giving such great advice to the camp administrators on how to squeeze more labor for less food out of the inmate that they made him a Gulag official, and he became one of the top officials in the thirties, particularly early on with the building the White Sea Baltic Canal.
Speaker 1: Why is it that when we look at communist crimes I mean, some of the stuff we've already mentioned is, you know, Heinus is just if you're going to kill one hundred thousand people with just bullets to the back of the head, that takes some kind of will that I don't think the average person can even fathom. So why is it that we don't talk about communist crimes, but say, you know, anything, you know, anything that the Germans have ever done gets brought up, or anything you know, you know, anyone who's ever tried a bad look at a Jew has their crimes are amplified.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I think there's been some some good academic literature by Jewish scholars on this. One. Work I would recommend is Juris les King, who was from the Soviet Union, is a professor of history at University of California, Berkeley. Technically, I guess he's only half Jewish. His father is Jewish, but under the Soviet system he was considered Jewish. But he writes about how Jews in the Soviet Union and elsewhere became interested and successful in running government, becoming dissipants in disproportionate member numbers in government the same way they did other industries like Hollywood or banking right, so it's becomes an ethnic industry. So the nk A Day and Okpu are literally viewed as kind of, this is a Jewish business we can go into because Jagoda is a you know, knows our family, and we can get appointed and go up the ranks. And Berman, you know, he had not only Boris Berman, his brother, head of the NKV DAY in Biliruths, but another brother, Solomon Berman, was also a high ranking officer in the NKVD. So he had three brothers all in the NKV DAY during the Stalin era in the thirties. So that's one explanation. And as far as not remembering it not talking about it, I think Peter Novic's The Holocaut and American Life where he talks about starting in the sixties, you start to see this use and intermentalization of atrocities and victimization and particularly called the victimization Olympics for political power, and he specifically talks about the use of the Holocaust to get support for the state of Israel starting in nineteen sixty seven with the war.
Speaker 1: What do you when you look at the attitude towards Jews in the Soviet Union what is it.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, throughout the entire we have probably best term user the z Geedleman called it the ambivalents. Right, So the policy oscillates, But initially you have after Stalin died in fifty three, you're not that the head of the MK the NBA day at the time is still Beeria, but he is so close to associated with Stalin. Khrushchov and Mahlankov want to get rid of him along with Kaganovich and Malotav. Now Berya is executed, Malotov is sent to me ambassador to the People's Republic of Mongolia or I guess Mongolian People's Republic. Obviously, since it's almost just another Soviet republic, this isn't a big diplomatic posting for Malotav. And Kaganovich is appointed I think as a director of a cement factory in Siberia. All right. So after this time, with Kaganovich removed, there are no more Jews in the Soviet Pullar Bureau for the rest of its existence. But they still remain overrepresented in the rank and file membership of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, in part because they have higher education, in part because they're more urbanized, and also in part because they have put effort into it as a group to try and have as much representation as possible. It's using the government as a type of ethnic industry, as it were. So there's no longer a domination the way there was in the early Soviet regime with the Trotsky and Kamenoff and Zeneviev. And there's no longer any section of the Soviet government that's important, like the political police that has a Jewish domination. But they are overrepresenting the Communist Party. They are overrepresented in a number of desirable positions in the Soviet Union, white collar jobs, but particularly things like scientists, university lecturers, published writers. At the two best known and probably best quality wise science fiction writers out of the Soviet Union, of the Strugatsky brothers, who were Jewish, they wrote Roadside Picnic, which was the inspiration for the movie Stalker. So they have a pretty good position as far as that. And there is no persecution of Jews quad Jews in the post Soviet era, but there is a strong crackdown after the break with Israel on political Zionists, particularly those who are actively petitioning to emigrate out of the USSR to go to Israel. But again, when you look at total number arrest total number of incarcerations, we're only talking a few hundred people, which puts it on about the same par as much smaller groups that were doing the same type of things, such as the Korean Tatars, add only one tenth the total population that the Jews had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that reminded me of something I wanted to ask, just going back, So nineteen forty eight, you have the foundation of Israel and now there are a diaspora. There are diaspera people with a home. Was there any talk of getting, you know, deportation or I guess at that point it would have been deportation.
Speaker 2: Well, there isn't anything in the official Soviet archives about any math deportation of Jews with Soviet citizenship. They said, the only case where we have is those that refused Soviet citizenship who had Polish passports. In nineteen forty there has always been a lot of writing that there were rumors going around that they kept cheering on the Metro and other places that there were planned to deport all the Jews and Thebijan, which was the Jewish autonomous Obla established by Stalin that almost no Jews moved to. But there's nothing in the archives, so if it was any planning stage, it was very very embryonic as far as that was going. And of course then Stalin died on fifth of March nineteen fifty three, and the entirety of the Soviet policy changes. Now. Initially, the Soviets in forty eight and forty nine were strong supporters in the un of Israel. A lot of the armaments that were crucial for the Israeli victory of the Arabs came from Czechoslovakia after the communists coup in nineteen forty eight in that country. And it appears that the reason for the break between the Soviet and Israel had to do with the Israelis, not the Soviets had to do with Israelis. Not at the very top. That is, Ben Gurian liked the fact that he could get a lot of Soviet assistance. He admired the Soviet Union as kind of a strong model for state with a socialist economy, and of course its policies towards the Vulgar German the Korean Tatars being one to emulate regarding the Palestinian Arabs. But the ambassador to Moscow was gold in my Ear, who was very rude to the Soviets. Gold in my Ear essentially said to Jews in the Soviet Union they should owe their allegiance to Jerusalem and not Moscow. Told the Soviet government should allow all the Jews, especially the educated ones, to go to Israel rather than rebuild the Soviet Union the damage caused by World War Two. And then the Soviets said, well, why don't you have like Jews from the United States, you know, the evil capitalist country obviously anti Semitic. No, we wanted to use the US to stay there and just send us money. And so this type of insults were just almost too much, and coupled with the fact that under Krushchev they looked and saw, particularly after nineteen fifty six, that there are a lot more people in Egypt and the Arab world and supporters of them and former colonies than the small state of Israel, that perhaps they should completely changed sides. Is what happened. So the but if Golden my Ear had not been ambassador, if somebody who had the same outlook as Ben Gurion had been ambassador, I think the Soviet Israeli alliance would have lasted.
Speaker 1: Longer after the war. The United States pretty much want the Soviet Unions to be like a junior partner to them, from what I understand, and Stalin tells them to take a walk. And then you see the Neo Khans, who are founded by Jews and are mostly Jews, come into existence. Why did the Neo Kan what was the reaction? Was there anything happening with Jews in the Soviet Union that would have caused the Neo Khans to you know, have like some kind of ethnic animosity or was it or was.
Speaker 2: It depends on where you want to go. But I mean a lot of it goes back to the Tsarist era and the pogromes Kishniev in nineteen oh three, because the most of the Ashkenazi population in the United States are descending to people who left the Paleist settlement in the Russian Empire following the pogroms in the early twentieth century, and of course, so there's that, but of course that took place under the Tsaris government and then during the Civil War. While there are a couple of cases of Bolsheviks engaging, for most of them were by white forces or Ukrainian nationalists forces or anarchists rather than Bolsheviks. But I think a big thing of it was that after World War Two, all right, there wasn't any real Jewish you know, influence the way there had been a in the twenties in the Polar Buro and in the thirties in the NKA day. And there was also the fact that there was an affirmative action program from the very beginning in the USSR which favored titular nationalities, particularly for higher education. So this meant that if you were in Tashkent and you were an ethnic Uzbek, you got reference to go to the university in tash can Right now, Jews were overrepresented greatly in Soviet universities, but it was kept to the level was was not dominated completely because there was active discrimination in favor of Uzbek's and Uzbekistan, Ukrainians and Ukraine, Georgians and Georgia. So if you lived in your own national Soviet Social Republic, you got preference, particularly for higher education, but also for desirable jobs in the government, desirable jobs in industry, positions in the local Communist party. And so this was always portrayed in the Western literature as discrimination against Jews because they said, well, you know, majority of people go to the University of tash Can must be ethnic Uzbeks. We can't have majority of them being Jewish when Jews are only four percent of the population. But the American Jews thought, well, no, you know, if we can, if we can score the test tieing up, we should be able to have one hundred percent of the position to us back as down and leave the uzbex with none.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, great attitude, especially when you consider the attitude in Israel since nineteen forty eight worse. It's like good, good luck getting getting anything good if you're if you're not Jewish. You made the comment about them being Ashkenazis and the pograms. Is that further Is that further evidence? Just pointing to evidence that the the the initial revolution was funded by them, funded by I mean, I think.
Speaker 2: They can get some funding from it. Yeah, I think a lot of the resentment again both the Czaris Russian government uh as well as Russians in general and certain particular. The word in Russian so Slovia, it means like a status kind of like it's it's like an ethno class status. But the Cossacks they particularly did not like, and there is actually a math extermination of Cossacks during the Russian Civil War when Lenin is still in charge and you have Trotsky cabinet and Zeneviev in the Pullet bureau.
Speaker 1: So the I wanted to go back to the programs for a second. Researchers like doctor Matthew Rafael Johnson says that the h a lot of the times the programs were basically what would happen was is that revolutionary Jews would start, you know, start acting up and committing violent ones, and then you know, like the Black Hundred or groups would come in to stop them, and then the Jewish owned newspapers would you know, be like, oh, look these you know, they're just attacking Jews for no reason at all. Is do you have any any reason to believe that that would.
Speaker 2: Be It's not my expertise. The person's now dead. That's probably the best researcher audit was that I believe he was that he was at one of the University of London. I think it might have been Burkebeck, but Johanna and John clear Yeah. He wrote on it and he said, you know, one of the myths when you look at the archives of the Tsar's government. One of the myths is that is clearly not true is the idea that the Tsar's government was instigating uh and supporting The Tzari's government had a very low opinion of the programs and tried to put us suppressed them because it viewed it as chaos and anarchy that threatened the rule. So even while the Tzar's government was obviously no great lover or Jews, although it was always open under the Czars, if they converted to Russian Orthodoxy, they were no longer considered to be Jewish. It wasn't an ethnic or racial classification until the Soviets took took power, ironically, and then it becomes one of the national But interestingly enough, only Ashkenazi's got the designation Javans, which literally means Hebrew. So other groups the Buharan Jews for instance, or the Jews in the Caucuses, which are often called tops, but I'm told that's the derogatory term. But so Mountain Jews and Buharan Jews, the other Eastern Jews, they were considered separate ethnic groups from the Ashkenazi, which were classified as Hebrews.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the offering them to convert, and immediately your mind goes to Spain. It seems like they've that's been, that was tried throughout the last two thousand years. Is sure, you can stay as long as you convert, and then you know, of course Spain had ther the Morano problem.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, Spain is a bit different. But there were some Jews that did convert and become Christians, just as there were Muslims. In fact, there were a number of Tatar Muslims that converted to Christianity and joined the Russian nobility after the Ivan the Fourth took Kazan Hanate, so it certainly wasn't at least the Tsar's government was in good faith. If you actually, you know, get baptized and become a member of the Russian Orthodox Church, right then you are considered to be the same as any other Russian Orthodox Christian and the fact that you were born Jewish and have Jewish heritage becomes irrelevant. Right in the Soviet state, you couldn't change after I believe in nineteen thirty eight, you couldn't change your nationality legally, So if you had two Jewish parents with a jew on your identification documents, you had two German parents with a German. If you had a mix, you could choose one of those two at age sixteen, but not another. So if you were half German and half Polish, right, you could choose one or two. But you're still going to be screwed.
Speaker 1: Well, let's finish up with this. The Revolution, everything that happened afterwards the Revolution, the way that people like you go to treated treated Christians, treated Russians. Was this all animosity for the last six hundred years of Russian history, How they feel they were they were treated the pale of settlement Kewlnetsky is this is that what I.
Speaker 2: Think this is part of the motivation for a number of them, particularly when you go on the lower levels. You start thinking things like the dekoulakization, where they're using open racial epithets again Germans and polls, and this is in nineteen thirty already nineteen thirty one. But I think you look at somebody like Kaganovich. While he never denied he was Jewish, I don't think he was being motivated by the fact that he was a Jewish ancestor. I think he viewed himself as an international communist and a loyal supporter of Stalin, and he did what Stalin said, and necessary to bring socialism, we're going to have to be very violent, and certain ethnic groups weren't going to make it because they were inherently counter revolutionary. And so the Volga, Germans, the komand Tatars, the Chechens, these were all peoples that had proven themselves unable to integrate into socialism and so had to had force said to be you to help them along by destroying their organic compact settlements. But I think when you higher levels it's more ideological. I think somebody like Trotsky, somebody like Kaganovich, even somebody like Yagoda, I don't think they were thinking I'm doing this to get back for the fact that Russian and Ukrainians and other people's, you know, engage in progromes and other violence against Jews. But I think, certainly, since the party and the apparatus is so large, when you get to the lower levels on the ground and the implementation, there is quite a bit of that.
Speaker 1: It is interesting that they there are so many revolution era there's so many groups with revolutionary thought in Russia. It just it's I mean, that's going to the butting of heads is going to be incredible because when those revolutionary groups, they're not backing down for anything. So it's either going to be accept who I am or and we're going to work to try to take over, or you're going to have to kill us.
Speaker 2: Basically, well, yes, there was an extreme amount of violence, and then of course as violent as nineteen eighteen nineteen twenty one was and it led to famine in twenty one and twenty two, which was particularly harsh on the Germans in Volga and Ukraine, it became much more violent in the nineteen thirties and nineteen forties, and so it's it's as Dollin said, we want to compress the hundred years of industrialization, which involved of course a mass dislocation of people from the countryside into industrial factories in Great Britain. They want to compress that into ten years, right, one tenth, which of course means then that the suffering of involved in that gets multiplied by a factor of at least ten. So I think these people were looking at we want to accomplish creating an industrial, powerful military, you know, super state along lines of using the power of the state to basically, you know, bootstrap everything up, so everything is controlled by the state, which is controlled by the Vanguard Party, so that it has a clear trajectory. Right. And of course this was considered to be the ind just to fy the means, right, that is, the in reality they were right that the Vath majority of the descendants of the survivors had a much higher standard of living than their grandparent. That is, and by the time you get to the nineteen sixties and nineteen seventies, there is a much much higher standard of living both materially but also culturally for people in the Soviet Union then existed under the Czar. But to do that you have at least ten percent of the population violently killed, and of course large numbers of people who weren't killed, you know, displaced to special settlement, sent to labor camps to work for years, deprived of basic human dignity and rights. So it becomes you know, this injustified the means by by by being very violent and oppressive. Those who survive physically are killed by this, their descendants, their grandchildren will have a better standard of living than existed previous. The problem with this is countries that didn't go through this, like Western Europe and Japan and the United States had even higher standards of living.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I have two questions. One is in reference what we've been talking about. The other one is going to be a little bit off the book. But like the Black Book of Communism throws out amazing numbers of debt by the hands of the government in the Soviet Union, whether actually executed or worked to death in a gulag. Do you have a Do you have a number?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my personal number. Yeah, I would say I'm probably getting at well, it depends what you include, but somewhere between ten and fifteen million. But if we it probably is not higher than that, just because it's just not enough people. If you include the losses in the World War One and World War Two for the demographics to make sense. It also turns out people are harder to kill than you would think. So if you remove all the food from Ukraine, it doesn't kill all of the Ukrainians. It kills about fifteen percent in a period of two years, which is significant. But you know, almost logically think, well, if nobody has any food, should all of them die? And yet somehow eighty five percent of the population managed through various ways to just physically resist through survival to find enough food to eke out until that two year period without. So it's the amazing how bad conditions can get in things like a Soviet labor camp, even one north of the Arctic circle, and people still physically survive. So I think this is one of the things that's not taking an account. But you know the Black Book of Communism, I would say the numbers in the chapter on the Soviet Union itself and it birth to the French scholar. Whether that doesn't give a total figure, his figures are pretty accurate. I would say overall what got controversy was one hundred million figure by Quartou for all communist regimes in the front of which some twenty million was supposedly the USSR. And then of course the big chunk is going to be China, particularly the famine after the Great Leap Forward, which is less direct than something like the Heloto more, where you have a targeted area being deliberately deprived of food for a couple of years.
Speaker 1: What's the numbers on the whole little more?
Speaker 2: The official number of the Ukrainian government now I believe at three point eight million.
Speaker 1: All right, So This was the last question I wanted to ask. You're when you look at Israel today, how much of do you how much do you think of what they're doing, especially when it comes to just seems like the extermination of populations has to do with that revolutionary spirit that you talked about, like the higher. You said, some of the ones on the lower may have like animosity, but some of the higher have that revolutionary spirit, that socialist spirit. How much of that do you think carries over to what we're seeing today?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean in forty eight, this is what the Arabs called the Knakaba, which means catastrophe, where vath majority of the Arabic speaking Christians and Muslims are forced out of their home, is forced out of what becomes the state of Israel and forty eight into Jordan. The Gaza Strip which is under Egyptian administration. Syria Lebanon the West Bank is annexed by Jordan, but a lot of the Palatinians, refugees and expelles go there. Ben Gurian certainly wanted to create a socialist Jewish state. The difference between the early left wing socialist Zionists and the Soviets was there was no pretense to any internationalism. There was only going to be one nationality. It wasn't going to be an any federation between different ethnic groups. It wasn't going to be right. So something like the you know, Uzbek Soviet Social Republic, right, it was never on the table for the Palestinians by people like Ben Gurian and others that were closer in their mindset to the Soviets than people like Yabatinsky, who was heavily influenced by Selini. But I think there is this idea that, yeah, it is kind of a creation of a revolutionary state in forty eight, that by creating the first modern Jewish state, the first state since the destruction of the Second Temple and seventy a d that the models to look at were successful socialist revolutions like the USSR, where the power of the state had managed to accomplish what you know, we considered great things against great odds, and part of that the ethnic angle, and that the Soviets had dealt very harshly with ethnic groups they considered to be enemy nations, and the Israelis viewed that as a positive model regarding the Arabs came under their control. But of course, there are a number of key differences, particularly geography. There's no Siberia or Kazakhs dan send them to, so they just kicked them out to the nearest Arab states bordering Israel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's interesting that Israel right now is and you know, from the start, it is such an anachronism in that, you know, World War two is basically fought to destroy states like them in ethno state. But one of the things I like to point out is that they may have an ethno state right now, but they're still multicultural, and they're multicultural within Judy. You know, the Jews there are multicultural, and that is a.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, you know, my one trip to Israel, the one because I was invited and they paid for everything to give a paper on the neighbors of Jews in Central Asia. So I gave a paper on the deported German in Kazakhstan. But the one thing I kind of noticed was the only thing that held a lot of the various Jewish groups together in Israel was their opposition to the Arabs. So the preferred language everybody I was in contact with was Russian, not Hebrew. They used Hebrew to speak to other Israelis, but among themselves they used Russian, right, And I think this is a pattern that has existed earlier, with the Moroccan Jews using Arabic, yay Many Jews using Arabic, Iraqi Us using Arabic, Persian Jews obviously using a Parsi. But the thing is, you know, the Russian ones, they're so much larger. It is over a million of them, So they have for a consistently long time kind of resisted assimilation. That is, they'll go with general Israeli opposition to the Arabs, but they're not giving up Russian for Hebrew.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really interesting that an ethno state that it tries to bond itself based on the hatred of one people. I wonder who else in history has been accused of that. I don't know, I must be imagining it. Why did you tell everybody where they can find your work and support your work?
Speaker 2: Well, I have a book that you can get off of a Columbia University Press to use a great silence. I have a Patreon. It hasn't been too active recently because I haven't been doing any thing regarding it since for a while. I've been working a physical labor job. But currently I have a article I'll be writing for the yearbook of the Ukrainian Studies Institute at University Wafflaw and Poland on Korean Tatars their deportation eighty years ago. My last academic publication was at the end of last year, was a chapter in a book on Russian Germans on four Continents. I again wrote about German reported to Kazakhstan. But my email j dot auto pull at gmail dot com is connected to my PayPal if anybody interested in sending me any money if they really want to. But the big thing for why I would like to come on with these shows as possible right now is my book has not done as well in the last two years as I thought it should, so not that i care too much about the money from it, but I'd like people to at least read it. And I spent probably better chunk of more than ten years doing all of the research. I was in Kyrghyzstan and even Ghana and Iraq, so a lot of Soviet archives from Moscow, some from Bishkeek, some from Tartu in Estonia, and some from on the force repatriation, some from Washington, d C. The role of the US military enforcing ethnic Germans back to the Soviet Union to be sent to special settlements. So yeah, I would if you could buy my book and ask your local library to buy my book, that would be great.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna I'll make sure to link to it in the show notes, linked to your substack, links to the Patreon link to everything. All right, thank you, Ada, I appreciate you. I want to welcome everyone back to the Pekanana Show and I want to welcome back Jay out O, Paul. How are you doing? How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: Cool? So let's get into some history here. When you reached out to me, I guess you decided upon a little history of Germans in the Soviet Union prior to World War two and during World War two, And yeah, I don't think. I think last time we touched more on the polls and just really touched upon this subject. So where do you want to start.
Speaker 2: Well, start anywhere. So the German colonists started arriving in the Russian Empire in the late eighteenth century, the first German colonist proper outside of the Baltic region, where they weren't really colonists but Conquerors was established in seventeen sixty four in the Volga and then after that, starting really after eighteen oh four, although there's earlier settlements in the Black Sea region, particularly Ukraine and Crimea, and then later the Transcaucasus. In eighteen eighteen settlements in Georgia, and they spread out eastward into Kazakhstan and Central Asia and starting fairly late in nineteen o seven into Siberia. Most of them are still living in the Volga and Black Sea regions up until the Second World War, when they are forcibly deported into kazakh Dan and Siberia, and almost the entire German population of European USSR is ethnically cleansed. But this is a process that begins considerably earlier in the Soviet regime of kind of ratcheting up anti German repression through the nineteen thirties in particular.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the last time you talked to you, you said that basically what was happening was there was a growing suspicion of diaspora peoples within the Soviet Union that actually had a homeland.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, so all of the diaspora groups except for Jews, Assyrians and Gypsies were subject to national operations in thirty seven and thirty eight. By the NKVA day, we had mass arrest and executions in the diaspora population on the basis that they were spies for their home government, or in the case of the Koreans who were forcibly resettled in Central Asia in thirty seven from the Far East, that they were working for the Japanese who were their colonial power. But the Germans were hit the second hardest after the Poles. In thirty seven thirty eight, about five percent of the entire German population union was executed, but it was pretty much the top five percent as far as education levels, and it was particularly hard hit in the area around Odessa in Ukraine, which had a population of almost one hundred thousand Germans before the Second World War and being ethnically cleansed into Kazakhstan.
Speaker 1: Is there are there any numbers on how many of those were how many of the Germans who were there were actually ethnic Germans and not German Jews who just made their way into Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, the Soviet nationality classification have nemets for German and yevre for Jew. So when they say Nemets. In the Soviet archival documentation, they're talking about ethnic Germans, people that are predominantly of Lutheran background, with a large Catholic minority about twenty percent and a smaller Mennonite minority depending on the region between five and ten percent, but mostly Lutherans by religion, and they were still mostly practicing all the way up into the nineteen thirties before the massive anti religious campaigns.
Speaker 1: So you said about five percent the top, the top five percent were taken out. I assume that would be educated business owners, things like that, people of means, people who people who thought they may have influence outside of the country. The other ninety five percent what happens to them as as war grows and.
Speaker 2: Well, so thirty seven thirty eight comes after the dispossession and decouplocization of the richer Germans. But with the case of the Germans, unlike with Russians and the Ukrainian, the Soviet officials pretty much decided that all Germans were kulaks. In certain areas. For instance, in Turkmenistan, the government actually stated that it was impossible to collectivise the Germans, so they all to be deported as kulak because they were all Kulak colonizers to the marrow of their bones, with the phrase used by the officials. But also there admitioned that the vast majority in some areas of Germans being deported as kulaks to special settlement villages in the far North and the Euros were in point of fact not kulaks by the Soviet definition, but Middle peasants instead. But because they were ethnically German, they are automatically assumed to be Kulaks by the NKVT operatives working on the ground. So this is already a nineteen thirty happening, and that's about maybe fifty thousand Germans, maybe four percent of the population, which is considerably greater than the one point two percent of the population Soviet know the whole that deported as kulak at this time, but you can see it, darts rats up. You're four percent deported, five percent executed. And then in forty one, one hundred percent in the European areas forcibly relocated into Kazakhtan and Siberia, and then later all of the able bodied adult men first and then after October seventh, nineteen forty two women as well mobilized into the labor army to work in gulag camps, mostly in the eurals felling trees or in industrial construction.
Speaker 1: When you take into consideration that the attitude of internet national jewelry outside of Russia towards Germans over a long period of time. But let's just go from like nineteen from the time the National Socialists take power in nineteen thirty three, how what percentage at this time from thirty six thirty seven and then going through thirty seven thirty eight going through to the war, what percentage of the NKVD and these groups that would be concentrating on Germans are actually ethnically Jewish, And I assume it's just the same kind of animus towards the German people that they that was happening in the quote unquote free world.
Speaker 2: It was very high in the thirties. So I don't have exact numbers on the before the formation of the NKA in nineteen thirty four, when it's still the okpay ooh, but the de facto the head of the Okapayu for most of the detakulacuisation period of time is Genrik yea Gooda, and he's number two man do Urrey at the peacetime where he's a sidelined, but the number one man do Yuri Manzinski was very ill with heart disease all from nineteen twenty three all the way till nineteen thirty four. So the main man in the Okapayu with Genrik Yagoda becomes the first head of the NKA day in nineteen thirty four. So that's when you have the first mass wave of repression in the terms of nineteen thirty thirty one roundup of Germans being accued of being Kulak's and sent to special settlements mostly used for fourth labor and forestry to cut down trees, places like arcangles in the far North and of course in the Euros with a lot of forestry, and in the Vogan German Republic itself at about six point six percent, that was higher than the German population as a whole. But there are certain areas like Evapatoria, which is a district in Crimea where seventeen percent of the German population is forcibly deported to the special settlement villages for fourth labor in nineteen thirty So after nineteen thirty four we have figures. So in nineteen thirty four to all the way to the end of the Great Terror and Yejav's removal and replacement Beria November thirty eight, between twenty percent and forty percent of the top one hundred or so NKVA and A officers are ethnically Jewish. And in the period of time we're talking of the Great Terror at thirty seven and thirty eight, as I say, it concentrates in Ukraine. So the German operation of the total of fifty five thousand convictions, of which forty two thousand almost are death sentences. Of those forty two thousand death sentences eighteen thousand and five take place in Ukraine. The head of the NKVNA and Ukraine in thirty seven and thirty eight is a man named Israel Leplevsky, who was a former Bundist the Jewish Nationalist before he became a Bolshevik. The Boon was absorbed into the the Communist part what becomes the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, and he specifically asked the head of the NKBA Yejia offer with not Jewish. Although he is the number two man Belski his original name is Abraham Abraham Levin was Jewish during the first part, during the second part of the National the operations, so we see Lapleski asked geijav through up his quota for political arrest, including the national operations, three separate times. So it wasn't that you hear that he had no agency. It was all dollin in Yeasia. Lapleski was pushing to arrest more people on the national operations from Yasia and did it more than once.
Speaker 1: Well we know that. I mean even up to through today, you see the evidence of the ethnic hatred for Russian even for not only for Germans, but even for Russians. So at this point have the Russians, that the ethnic Russians that needed to be eliminated, Have they already been eliminated?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure I understand the question.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean there was there were there is an immediate purge after the Bolshevik Revolution, right, there was Russians, were ethnic Russians were killed by yes, who were Just how long did that continue? Let me I guess how long that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the movement to as it will rehabilitate the Russian nation from this period of time between nineteen eighteen, really picking up in nineteen twenty three with the twelve Party Congress in Karnazazia, all the way up until really nineteen thirty six, when you have the first phrases of the Russian nation during the Communists there are in Pravda. Yeah, this was a period of time you have, so it lasts in nineteen eighteen nineteen thirty six you have really kind of a campaign, a systematic get what they call against great power chauvinism, but by great power they meant the ethnic Russians who were more greater percentage of the Soviet Union than they were Tzaris Russia because they lost Finland, Poland in the Baltic States, so they were over fifty percent a majority, but there was no affirmative action for them like there was every other nationality during this time. And in thirty six you start to change with the new constitution written by Buharan and then you see at the end of the Great terror, Ya Gootazori been replaced in thirty six by Yejaf who was half Russian. His mother was Lithuanian, but he wasn't Jewish. November thirty eight, Bria comes in and the percentage of Jews in the top ranks of the NKFA day plummets from twenty percent to four percent. So a few guys still around, like Brenzon, who controls the finances of the NKA day nafterle Frankel, who was famous from Sulzanias and Gulag Archipelago. He's still head of the rail construction for Gulag gula Hid during the in part of Stalins well all the way to the end of Stalins reign, all right, but there's a big decrease then, and it really I think had to do with a kind of a conflict based upon region and ethnicity within the NKA day. So originally the leadership of the Cheka, the gay peu Ohau Nka Day are all people from the Palist settlement, and they're not all Jewish. Jagoda is the only one who makes it the very top Jewish, but they all are from the Palist settlement and a lot of them have Jewish spouses. For the first head of the Chaka, Dzinski, was Polish, but his wife was Jewish. The second guy, Vinzinsky, is Polish, but as I said, already assuming power in twenty three he's already ha to basically give over running of the organization to Yagoda because he's not physically able to do it himself. After you go to Yaja. So all these people from the areas that were in the Police Lithuanian Commonwealth and then they get basically removed by Bria, whose center of powers in Georgia. The ethnic Georgian people like Rapava and Carredza are also ethnic Georgian ethnic Armenians from Tabilisi like the Kobolov brothers, So they replace a lot of the Jews that were in this kind of circle, along with some Poles and people from Lithuania like Gaijav that had dominated the Cheka Gaypeiu ob Payu Nkva day all the way from nineteen seventeen up to nineteen the end of ninety thirty eight.
Speaker 1: So do you consider it to be something targeted when Baria takes over for the amount of Jews and power in the MKVD two.
Speaker 2: Well become there are a lot more Russians, Georgians, Ukrainians appointed, and they said the Jewish percentage plummets down to four percent, although there's still some high ranking Jews like Baronzon and Frankel.
Speaker 1: But that was targeted. But was that done on purpose?
Speaker 2: Yes, because they were basically different gangs. I mean, it's just like in the US. Gangs in the Soviet Union are based upon ethnicity or what they call natanal notes, which is really ethno racial. In this case, it's a little bit more complex than that. It's kind of coalitions of different ethno racial groups. For by geography, and that you had the Jews and Poles in the original dominating the original political police, and then Georgians and Armenians allied with Russians in the second version of it under Berriam. But the one big change you do see is that the mass execution that took place in thirty seven and thirty eight under yezav And Belski, and then in Ukraine Laplevsky was head, and then Belarus it was a Boris Berman, the brother of the head of the Gulag from thirty to thirty seven, Matve Berman. Those are largely replaced by forced labor, either in labor camps or special settlements, because Biria thought it was a waste to just shoot people when you could work them to death.
Speaker 1: So the in studying the Spanish civil war, and you look at the officers that were sent to advise there. Overwhelmingly I think last I counted, out of eleven of them, like nine or ten were Jewish, and it seems like when they got back they were executed. They were the majority of them were summarily executed. Was what was that movement in thirty eight and thirty nine to remove it? Was that targeting Jews or was that just targeting?
Speaker 2: I think it's targeting people that were outside the Soviet Union because they also had one of the national operations is not against the nationality. It's called the Hudderbdzi operation. And when in thirty six they sold the Chinese Eastern Railroad in Manchuria to the Japanese, they recalled all of the Russian workers back into the Soviet Union and the people that were stupid enough to return were either shot, the vast majority of them, or were set into time in a labor camp. When I would live in Kyrgyzstan, I knew a guy who spent ten years in a labor camp because he had returned from working on the Railroaduria. But he was still alive and spent every day drinking beer and smoking cigarettes enjoying the fact that he'd outlived all of his professors. But the reason was because they had spent time outside the Soviet Union and therefore been exposed to foreign ideas or perhaps engaged in conspiracies. So there was that paranoia. I think that people returning from Spain the same idea that they were a suspect for having been outside the USSR and in contact with foreign environments.
Speaker 1: When it came to Russian forces during World War Two, were were there any German conscripts into it? Or were there any Germans who actually volunteered to fight against their own Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes. In the beginning there were over thirty three thousand Volga Germans who were fighting in the Red Army again the Wehrmacht. They put up a Alamo type defense at Breast where they were wiped out by the Wehrmont. They were not removed from the military forces of the Soviet Union until seventh September, and then they were all sent to force what they called Construction Battalion. And then they were mobilized into the Labor Army when it's created and sent to the corrective labor camps of the Gulag in the Urals primarily the fell timber and industrial construction. Some avoided it by changing their nationality in collaboration with their commanding officers. Was one famous German soldier who claimed to be Alzerbaijani. He took the identity of a fallen comrade. There were some that managed to work in the Partisans organied the Nkada to fight against the Germans, but the numbers are limited because there was in eight September or the decree to remove all ethnic Germans from all Soviet military institutions. So there were a handful that we know of that managed to kind of work around us by claiming other nationalities and having their commanding officers that go along with the deception, but not very many. The Vath majority were of the over thirty three thousand that were Volga Germans that were still fighting in the Red Army by September nineteen forty one, were all sent to labor camps by the Soviet government.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that certain groups were considered to be cool ocks, even if they weren't. How much of how much of this was at this point, how much of it was actual ideology, the ideology of communism and Bolshevism and how much was it Just basically they're operating on autopilot and that's just what you declare somebody at this point.
Speaker 2: I don't think it has much to do with any type of Marxist ideology. I think a lot of it is just the prejudices these people already had against these groups. So they have Zaris roots. But of course they're not all. It's not limited to Russian. Everybody that was in the kind of Russian environment you read the kind of old nineteenth century of Russian literature, there is a stereotype of the Germans as being a rich, undeserving colonizers in the Voga in Ukraine or being exploiters. So during the Civil War, right the anarchis Undernester Makhna, they go after the Mennonites because Makna had worked for the Mennonites as a farm hand and didn't like the way he was paid and treated. So all of the Mennonites.
Speaker 1: That became that's ironic, but in.
Speaker 2: Particularly it's quite violent, so much so particularly with the rapes of women that for the only time ever the Mennonites in the world, they took up arms, being sponsored by the German governances. During World War One, still nineteen eighteen before November to create self protection units, and this was a big deal for a creed that had been pacifist in the early sixteenth century.
Speaker 1: How much was Asian Russia involved in this? You know, most people when they think of Russia, you really only think of European Russia, and that decide that his But there's this whole other side which even though much more sparsely, much more sparsely populated and diverse. Actually, how much were they pulled in? How much of the Soviet ideology and the Soviet the crushing Soviet hand did they have to suffer all the way in the East.
Speaker 2: Well, there's not a lot of Central Asians. There are quite a few Caucasians involved in the Soviet government, particularly before the nineteen fifties, in large part because they're not educated, in large part because the traditional way of life is not congruence with the Soviet ideology. So the memberships in the Communist Party are quite low, and the involvement is largely just on the local basis. But you do have some groups. So one group which is not well studied. During World War One, the Russian government brought in a large number of China. These workers from China, and during the Bolshek Revolution most of them sided with the Bolsheviks. A lot of them joined the Red Army, and there was a Chikai unit noted for its brutality composed entirely of Chinese that operated in the Ukraine.
Speaker 1: So let's switch over a little bit to the war and the Eastern Front. So do you know, do you have any like general numbers of on the eastern battlefield, on the Eastern Front, how many what the population of Jews was. And obviously the Germans are accused and rightly so in many cases of them just not caring about any Jewish populations that are on the Eastern Front. When I say, rightly so, they're accused because they didn't. How much did the Soviets care. It just doesn't seem to me like if you're at war and you're at war with the Wehrmacht, then you're taking special care to be like, oh, wait a minute, we can't hurt these Jews over here.
Speaker 2: Well, the Jewish population in the Soviet Union was probably about three million at the start of the war when Germany invaded, and probably about a million were either evacuated or made it on their own east of the Front. I went to a conference in Jerusalem was called Jews and their neighbors in Central Asia about this. So they were disproportionately evacuated because they were disproportionately members of the Communist Party and disproportionately working in industries that were considered important by the Soviet government and needed to be evacuated each of the euro to prevent the Germans from conference. So as a percentage, much larger number of Jews of their population than non Jews were officially evacuated by the Soviet government. It appears to have been on basis of party membership and necessary occupation rather than natsanalos. So over a third of them were evacuated East and a lot of them ended up in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, and they didn't get like with the German departies. The Kazakhs who had to share their house with Jewish evacuees in Kazakhstan, we're not very happy about it. I talked to one Jewish guy in Israel who ended up as a child in one of those and he said, yeah, they didn't really like us coming there because we didn't speak their language and they had to give up their space in their house. But I actually understand why they didn't like it, though there is at least among among that with that guy, an understanding of the problem. But yeah, they did have it wasn't it. I don't think we in the ethnic preference, but certainly due to their higher membership in the party and needed economic industries, they had a much greater number percentage evacuated than your average Russian or Ukrainian.
Speaker 1: Are there any numbers on the percentage of the civilians on the Eastern Front that were killed.
Speaker 2: It's disputed, but the numbers range from four million civilians dying in the Soviet Union during the Second World War due to the Germans. That's in addition to another two million plus that Stalin killed through labor camps and special settlements and execution, all the way up to ten million civilian. I tend to go with the lower number, particularly because the person who came up with the lower numbers, Viazemskoff, was now dead. He was the first person who would not a member of the Communist Party allowed into the Soviet archives to study the Gulag, and he wrote a fantastic book on the special settlement regime kulaks and deported Germans and other nationalities in two thousand and five, which is still one of my go to references always, so I'm more likely to trust Zemskoff and I am the official number from the Russian Academy of Sciences, which is of course as an interest in blowing up the number of Russian civilians that were killed during the war for its own purposes support the government in Moscow.
Speaker 1: What do you think the numbers were on the war total? You know, Darryl Cooper mentioned recent in the first episode of Enemies Is German Is German Series that sixty million. We could it could be sixty million, some say forty million, some say twenty million.
Speaker 2: Are we including Asia in the Pacific?
Speaker 1: I don't know if he's including Asia, well, I know, I mean total.
Speaker 2: The numbers, you know, range from the Soviet Union, which would be the largest number absolute, from twenty to twenty seven million. Twenty seven million is the official figure. Twenty million is somewhere with Zamskoff is advocating, although the majority of those, the military losses and the German losses, from what I can say, are about eight million, five million military and three million civilians. So sixty sixty million looks high, but forty million probably around right, lots of people. It's hard to do a tabulation because you have to be an expert on every little country in Europe. And you know, some countries in Europe they look small, but you know they have large loss of places like Yugoslavia and Poland because the war was quite fierce.
Speaker 1: Was there any hope at all that packs between Russia and Germany, the Soviet union in Germany before the war could have could have lasted, that that it didn't have to happen, that there there could have been peace.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Everything I've seen suggests this. Daalin thought that the pact was only temporary so that he could build up enough forces to invade Germany. So if the Germans didn't attack earlier, they were going to get attacked by the Soviets and be on the defensive, all right. So I don't see a scenario where the Soviet government under Stalin decides that it's going to have a permanent peace with Germany. In fact, if say somebody like Trotsky, there wouldn't have been any piece at all. Thirty nine forty one wouldn't have existed, he would have already in the nineteen twenties been trying to push revolution into Central Europe.
Speaker 1: So then you take the narrative of Icebreaker that super Off's narrative.
Speaker 2: That I don't take it necessarily is because I think super Off is pushing the date in a way that we don't have enough evident support. But yeah, I think eventually, when the Soviet forces get large enough, they would have invaded everything. You know. You hear from defenders of Stalin today is that the pact was only temporary because the capital those powers wouldn't support him earlier over Czechoslovakia, right, so eventually he was going to you know, quote unquote liberate Central Europe. It was just they had to get enough military forces. Now I'm not sure when that would have exactly been, it's not my area of expertise, but yeah, eventually, you know, a couple of years down the line, they wouldn't have.
Speaker 1: Held well obviously because of American backing, and not only that, but goods transfer, the transfer what was the agreement where the United States was manufacturing the United States was manufacturing and delivering goods too lean LEAs. Yeah, Lenley's because of len Lea's well, at the end of the war, the Civic Union ends up with half of Europe anyway, Do you think that if if Operation Barbara it doesn't happen, if he doesn't invade, that if they would have been on the defensive, that the Soviet Union would have taken the whole peninsula.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think. I think if the Germans hadn't attacked the Soviet Union in forty one, that eventually, I don't know, would have been forty three or forty four, the Soviet Union would have attacked Germany. They would have gone to take the parts of Poland that Germany had taken in nineteen thirty nine and tried to move as far west as possible.
Speaker 1: Is that a Is that one of those opinions that you that gets you in trouble and keeps you out. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've been out of academia for so long. There's no trouble anymore. I just clean toilets. Now.
Speaker 1: Well, we're not ending right now, but this, I guess this is a good point as any as anybody who's watching who has in at any university or any school whatsoever. Doctor Pohl here is looking is looking for a job because it seems he seems to have been locked out of academia, and not only in the United States. I think you overseas, you you're having problems too, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the jobs dried up overseas as far as foreigners. But the last place I worked, American University of Xulamania, is basically a CIA front who had two goals. One to keep the curds in Iraq so that the all the oil is under one central government, and two to impose the lgbt Q upon the Muslim population there. So they didn't renew my contract when I said they were stupid.
Speaker 1: Well, anyone who has uh, anyone who can help, please you can reach out to me and I'll make sure to get get through to doctor Paul. The United States doesn't do len lease, doesn't join the war, there's a Soviet do's the Soviet Union defeat Germany. I was saying, if if the United States doesn't do lend lease, doesn't completely support the Soviet Union, how does the war go?
Speaker 2: Uh? Soviets still might win, but they would take much much greater losses. It would take them much longer a period of time. And instead of talking twenty to twenty seven million. We might be talking one hundred million out of one hundred and seventy two million people in the Soviet Union dying to try and and win. It would be a very purehic victory if they did win.
Speaker 1: Seems like the meat grinder that we're seeing there today is some somewhat not similar. But the numbers, at least on the Ukrainian side seem to be seem to be piling up. And when you consider some of the numbers that are happening today and you compare them in scale, you know, to the scale of World War Two, we maybe even be seeing at that scale when you just consider that this is a historic kind of local war.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, some of the local wars get very high percentages of young men dying. So I think Serbia during World War One, that's something like a third of the young men total died in combat. The war between the Triple Alliance with the Paraguay a similar percentage.
Speaker 1: I think, Perish when it comes to let's go back, let's go back to Russia a little bit and to their to their diaspora groups. You said that clearly that the reason why certain groups were targeted were well, they were members of an ethnic group that was considered an enemy, and they had a government. And then what happens when Israel comes into existence in nineteen forty eight, what is the attitude towards the diaspora. Do Jews in the Soviet Union automatically become a diaspora Now they can be looked upon with ye with suspicion.
Speaker 2: It's not automatic because initially the Soviet Union believes that it can create a socialist state allied with the USSR in Israel, and it is particularly eager to reduce British power. And it views the Arab monarchies such as King Abdullah and Jordan, the King Abdullah, the first of the grandfather of the current monarch, but also the government in Iraq with British puppets, and also Egypt Evan before Nassar's revolution overthrows the monarchy, so they support the Zionists initially in nineteen forty eight. In nineteen forty nine, the way of weakening the British way of opposing these reactionary pro British monarchies and the Arab states established really through the League of Nations mandates which were to give self determination an independence to the Arab states that were taken out of the Ottoman Empire, and this becomes changed later primarily because the Israelis don't want to go along with the Soviets, and after Stalin died, there is a change of policy starting in nineteen fifty four with the Soviets approving a large sale of Chech weapons to Egypt. After NASA comes to power, and basically the conflict goes that the Soviets get tired of Shenanigan by people like go to my ear who keeps wanting Soviet Jews to come to Israel, claiming the Soviet Union is anti Semitic, but it's okay with all the Jews in America just staying in America sending money. That didn't go well with the Soviet leadership. And also the fact that Soviets looked at the map and said, there's four million Jews in Israel and one hundred million Arabs, maybe we should support the other side, especially after the monarchies. Jordan, of course never got overthrown, but in Iraq there was an overthrow of the monarchy to a secular nationalist government that was much more friendly to the USSR, and of course NASA coming to power in Egypt much more favorable to Soviets, which is why they green light the Czech arm sales. So by the nineteen fifty six, when the British and French and Israelis try and take the Suez Canal back from Egypt, which had been nationalized by Nasar, the Soviets are on the Arab side against the Israelis on this Ironically, the United States is as well, because the United States threatened the British or to evaluate their pound but if they don't pull out of attacking Egypt. This is the same time the Soviets are crushing the Hungarian Revolution in Budapest, so it provides a good diversion for the Soviets if everybody's looking at what the British, Frenchs and Israelis are doing in Egypt rather than what they are doing in Hungary. And then but of course, by nineteen sixty seven, the Soviet governor Brezhnev thoroughly with the rest of the Third world, supporting the Arabs against the israel And in sixty four they start they officially recognize the PLO as the representative of the Paladinian people. So there's a big change, a lot of it driven by pragmatic geopolitics and real politics that it would be much better for the Soviets internationally to support the larger Arab population against the smaller Israeli one.
Speaker 1: Well, you see that clearly in the fact that most of Israel's enemies are using AK forty seven's that are built in factories. In that the Soviets actually went to Egypt and went went to other countries and built factories to basically.
Speaker 2: Including in Egypt, the AK forty seven factory in Egypt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I actually own one. I actually owned one of the ones out of that factory. The yeah, they're It's really weird to me when people say that, like historically Russia, that the Zionists controlled Russia, when you consider that all of their enemies were using Russian weapons against them.
Speaker 2: It just changes. They initially, I said in forty eight, forty nine, they support the Zionists, they want to weaken the British, they want to weaken the Arab governments that are in their mind reactionary pro British. But after you have a series of left wing they're not communists, but they're certainly not favorable to the West. Revolutions in Egypt and Iraq and Syria, the Basis coming to power in Syria and Iraq, NASA in Egypt. This all changes. So by nineteen fifty six you see the Soviets, certainly on the Arab side, they had already started supporting with military arms the Egyptian government of Nasa in fifty four. So there's a change from the late Stalin as there era when they think they can get a Jewish Soviet People's Republic in Israel versus supporting what they call the progressive regimes in the Arab world, these kind of regimes like the Bassist in Syria and Iraq and NASA in Egypt.
Speaker 1: So the Soviet Union basically wins World War two. Stalin at some point once he once the bomb is acquired, you can consider him to be maybe the most powerful man in the world, one of the most powerful men that ever lived. What starts what starts their slide? What do you see as their starts their slide down to where ye empires don't fall overnight. They It takes a.
Speaker 2: Well, really ideologically, I don't think anybody believed in Marxism Leninism even by the time of World War two. But they then can switch to the Great Patriotic War. Uh, it's kind of a way to mobilize. But then, of course all the veterans die off, and this is not sustainable, so then they switch like many countries. Ironically a good parallel to South Korea, where they switched from the nationalist anti Japanese sentiment under Sigmund reed to economics under Park chunghi. Because Park chung he fought with the Japanese. They switched to, Okay, we can maturely give you a better standard of living than your parents and grandparents had. But the problem was they could look and see that, yeah, well, our standard living is greater than our grandparents, but it's much lower than Western Europe, and it's much lower than Japan, and places like South Korea are becoming richer than us. This is not sustainable we're becoming and when it totally stagnates in the late bridge neverra it's not getting any better, And then it starts to get worse, particularly you see things like the life expectancy of men start to decline. I think that was the end of it. They had nothing less to legitimize that the revolution itself hadn't been as they say, probably since nineteen forty one a real reason. And when the German debadd it'd rather than appeal to Marxism, Leninism, Dowalent, appeal to Russian nationalism for the majority of the population. And then there were kind of parallels appeal to each non Russian national nationality that it would for their nationalism. So, you know, you do this for the Curgous nation, or you do this for the Uzbek nation. It wasn't you do this for Marxism, Leninism and the Bolshevik Revolution.
Speaker 1: How much of it had to do with just sort of empire where you have satellites in Central America, Islands, South America, all through Eastern europe An empire is very hard to keep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's very expensive. I mean, the Soviets were giving billions of dollars to places like Cuba, Vietnam, Ethiopia. And one of the first things, you know, Gorbachev did was he cut off these client dates, right, those are Cubas. You know, the deal of one pound of one you know, barrel of oil for equivalent volume of sugar is over because oil is worth a lot more than sugar, and that really, you know, crippled the Cuban economy for a while because they were dependent upon this heavy subsidy from the USSR. And you know, certain places like Vietnam were managed to reform in nineteen eighty three to starting a ninety three to avoid famine and did fairly well. Other places like Ethiopia, you know, the regime ended up being overthrown and it still got problems of civil war. Cuba did some reform, so it's not as bad as it was, but they're still hurting because they still have a largely socialist economy that is not nearly a dynamic as the reformed ones in places like Vietnam and China.
Speaker 1: So after Stalin dies, do you think that a lot of it just becomes anti West and and they see the West as being Zionists controlled. I mean, Yaki writes about this. There's a lot of writers on the on the new right, on the well the post war right, the the illegal right, start writing that, you know, you have to make your choice. You're either with the Zionists or you're not and the United States or Zionists controlled. So this is why Yaqui was like, well, you know, this is why I'm siding with the Soviet Union. Basically or with the warsaw with the warsaw pack game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the Soviet Union warsaw Pack state. After nineteen sixty seven War, uh, they said, the second and third World, this is one of their pillars. It was the kind of there are certain things that kind of like unified them, and beyond that, there wasn't much that unified the third world. One of them was opposition to Zionism. Another was opposition to PARTEID in South Africa, another was opposition to the US mention in Vietnam. And there was also opposition of what remained of European colonialism, although as time went on there were fewer European colonies and they were pulling out and domestically. It was a way to oppose Jewish immigration movement. So the reason why the Soviets and they got more grief over this one issue than anything else they did, even though by far not the worst thing they did, was they wanted to maintain the retain the educated Jewish population in the Soviet Union that were doing things like being engineers and professors and whatnot, because they didn't want to lose that human capital. But there was pressure from the United States on behalf of Israel to allow them to emigrate and leave the Soviet Union, and they were Domestically there were a movement by Jews, people like Nate Sharonsky probably the most famous one, to engage in pressure that would be visible to the rest of the world on the government in Moscow to allow them to emigrate. And this emigration movement was actually copied by the Germans in nineteen seventy to nineteen seventy three to allow them also to emigrate to West Germany. It wasn't as successful, but it kind of did have a parallel imitation by ethnic Germans. So the opposition to Zionism domestically was they didn't want to lose the Jewish population because of disproportionate number of them were in the higher economic workings of the Soviet economy such as it was, and then internationally to get support from first and foremost of the Arab dates, but also the Third World in general. And also I think there was still this resentment of the way the Israelis had treated their original alliance in nineteen forty nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that one of the easy examples from history from the twentieth century you can see of the Zionist Russian fight is the fact that the Soviet Union backed the Kamis in Rhodesia, and when they did, the Zionists armed the White Rhodesia. You had this war going on just in Rhodesia where you can see that where it's actually clear.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I don't know. I know that the Israel had close military relations with South Africa, accumulating in the joint nuclear test in the Indian Ocean. But this is of course, as I said. By nineteen sixty seven, both for domestic reasons the movement that emigrate out by some three million Soviet Jews, and international politics, particularly dealing with the Middle East to oppose Western interest, especially the United States, the Soviets had become strongly in the anti Israeli camp, although interally enough, unlike some of the more radical Arabs, the Soviet Union never advocated that Israel itself ceased to exist. They were always officially in the un that the West Magan Gods the Strip become a separate Palestinian state, but the nineteen forty eight borders continued to be the state of Israel.
Speaker 1: All right, well, let's wrap up there. How can people support you? Right? Now we want to find you a teaching position somewhere, But in the meantime, how can they support you?
Speaker 2: Well, you can buy my book, which is distributed by Columbia University Press, and also write to your local library to ask them to acquire a copy of it. It's currently in one thousand and fifty eight libraries worldwide, but I haven't sold many copies of the individuals. I don't know the exact number, but it's probably a tenth of what the library sales are. I have a Patriot which has a five dollars subscription, and I am always available for editing, research, writing, and even translation jobs. So I've gotten a couple of translation jobs recently that subsidize sole my wages. But yeah, that's If you wanted to support me another way, then I've listed You can contact me by DM on Twitter or my email, which is available on my academic EEDU site if you go to my CV it's written right there. But yeah, mainly if you have any work for me, I'm pretty good at the research and writing stuff by now, and my rates are very reasonable.
Speaker 1: Remind everybody at the title of the book.
Speaker 2: The years a great Silence, and then the subtitle the Deportation, Special Settlement and Mobilization the Labor Ethnic Germans and the USSR nineteen forty one to nineteen fifty five, published by ibidem verir Log out of Stuttgart, but for the US and Canada, Columbia University Press the distributor. So if you go to their web site and look up either my name or the title of the book, you'll find the order sheet.
Speaker 1: I'll provide links to all of that in the in the show notes. Again, thank you Atto, thank you Peter