Speaker 1: The Earth is the pale blue dot, a precious planet in enterpse stellar space. Opinion has caused more trouble on this little Earth than plagues or earthquakes. A quote from the philosopher Voltaire thirty three minutes after the hour in our theater to mine and on stage, doctor Christian Christine Gulay. She is the director of the center. Director that is for the Earthquake Science Center of the US Geological Survey. Go to the website USGS dot. God, doctor, thank you for being with us. This is awesome because so many people, I'm sure, have questions about the unknown, what's going on here on the Earth. Let me throw this out there because I think this is interesting. I've read that there's no possibility of having a ten plus earthquake due to the fact that the fault length would have to be at least this what nearly stretched the entire planet. Is that true? You cannot have earthquakes.
Speaker 2: In the ten Yes, And that's the question I used to ask in my mid term exam them on straight why a magnitude ten is not possible? You are absolutely correct, and I think that's a good time ting to mention magnitude. People still use the term rictor magnitude, and the rictor magnitude was developed in the thirties was very useful, but has its limitations, and we don't use that type of magnitude anymore because basically it cannot characterize any earthquake above six point five or so it's saturated, it doesn't so we simply use the term magnitude sometimes moments magnitude. I just wanted to throw that out there because you're the fact that the lights. If you describe that, it would literally a ninety ten would need to basically rupture the whole earth to be impossible. But I well, all half, all half, then well if half of it is broken, that's that's a very good point. I'm glad you found that. But doctors, guy, I want to resk it something your first scholar asked if New York City is prepared and I don't know the details. I'm blundy, you're not female, You're not female, No, exactly. At the same time, it's a big city to deal with other disasters, so I'm sure they have a preparedness level there.
Speaker 1: For Well, we hope, so, doctor, we hope.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: But later in the show, I want to get into another area of expertise, and that talks about in the simplistic way. We'll save it for later if you don't mind about building constructing buildings and how to at least want put them up to special code as best as we can in areas that obviously could drop them, you know, like a ton of rocks. And that's a fascinating story. But you know what, doctor, this theater of the mind is getting very very popular because you're on the air with this. Let's go to line number one. We have Gary, he's been patient in Arizona. You're on with doctor Goulay.
Speaker 4: How are you, Gary, And good evening, Doctor Sky and doctor Goulay. My question is really not specifically about earthquakes, but it breaches reaches out brought more broadly to your interest in natural disasters. So it has been said that the United States has more natural disasters and any all the countries combined around the globe. So I'd like to know what your thoughts are about that interesting.
Speaker 1: That's a different twist on a subject that we're talking about, but it kind of relates to it. So Doctor, that's pretty pretty interesting what Gary's talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very interesting. I have a checked to all the natural disasters and how you define them. I think that when I think about all those natural disasters. Of course equakes is my focus, but all of them. But the most important thing I think for people is know what you can do to prepare for them. Right for earthquakes. Sure, we know to prepare in places where it shakes more often. We have earthquake kids and all that. But even in New York, if you're there, if you're in Michigan, if you're anywhere in the US and the earth starts shaking, do you know what to do? What can you do to prepare?
Speaker 1: But no, I'll be honest, there is I could give a litany of things here, but I'd rather hear what you have to say because you know, let's put it this way, food, water, you have to have an escape or go bag. You need to have something and may not necessarily mean that you're able to drive somewhere because imagine that disaster. I mean, what else would you say to this audience? Gary brings up something very powerful? I mean, preparation is the name of the game.
Speaker 2: The most important thing. If you start, if you feel shaking and or you feel something you don't know what it is it is and it's shaking. The first thing is to protect yourself. Go load to the ground. The tagline is drop, cover and hold on. Low to the ground, so you don't like fall over and saw on. So you drop on your knees if you can. Ideally you go under a sturdy table. So you drop, you cover, you cover yourself. You hold on to your leg of the table. There's no table around. Drop in the corner of the room. Put your hands behind your neck and protect your neck. Most people will get hurt by falling objects and so on. Sometimes people want to run out of the building. Sure by running out, your trip, your fall. If it's a large earthquake, it's going to make you stumble and then and then you hurt yourself and objects fall. So if there's one thing people can learn, the thing is that when an earthquake happens, it's so sudden, it's so violent, it's so distressing that people panic and they don't know what to do. If you think about it, the first thing is drop, cover and hold off.
Speaker 1: And well, you know, doctor that not to be on the side. But it's interesting. During the Cold War, we were told in the event of the nuclear attack, tuck and cover. That's a whole differ story. Gary. If you're still with us, you get an opportunity to respond back. If you're still there, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think in regarding natural distastors in Gerald today we're hearing a heightened alerts and more reports about earthquakes, particularly in California now, so there seems to be an increase in activity over there, seismic activity. I could say that seems to be a concern for a lot of people on the West coast.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Thank you Gary in Arizona for joining us in the Theater of the Mind, bringing the best guests, obviously to the table and to the theater about the things that they know about the great mysteries of the universe that we have. Let's continue, Doctor you become very very popular here, and now you're realizing just how popular because we have like a full board of callers and our job, my job is to make sure that we try to get everybody on. Let's go to line too. Welcome Tony in Clifton, New Jersey. You're on with doctor Gulay.
Speaker 5: How are you, Tony, Hi, Doctor Sky, Hi, doctor Gulay. What an interesting topic you know. I am in a Jersey, So I think about hurricanes and I also think about earthquakes. Because I was on the phone that night with Doctor Sky. It was like shortly after we had it. We were all talking about it. It was someone on WBC, so WABC is always there for us. But I was reading that there are some scientists that are doing research in the connection between earthquakes, and it's not they're still researching it. So they say earthquakes could disrupt the Earth's crust. And there have been some earthquakes that have happened and they list them. You know that there was a they came after or coincidentally with a hurricane, and I think this is fascinating. Can you talk about.
Speaker 1: Before you respond? Here, sorry to cut everybody off. I just want to mention something about the power of AM radio. And remember there was a big petition to try to eliminate AM radio. So in the event of these type of disasters, man made disasters, natural disasters, what would people turn to. What they did was the AM frequency much very much more reliable than many people's estimation. But Tony, thank you, but doctor please continue. I'm sorry to cut everybody short, but the power of AM radio is important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's important. It's definitely important. And if you can, if you want to be ready for it, not just earthquakes, but other natural disasters, you can get those crank radios right that don't be power and your your AM radio will work and you'll have information. So in general, whatever is happening in terms of weather and all that, it doesn't tend to impact earthquakes. Earthquakes again, happen deep in the cross forces that happen over hundreds and thousands of years, and it's stresses that really build inside the planet and that that really that that really shaped. So what's happening in the atmosphere doesn't tend to impact earthquakes. People still do research on this. I've not found that there's been a compelling evidence that there's a systematic effect with anything related to weather or storms and earthquakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, doctor, you bring up something, and Tony brought it up just as powerful that everyone within the sound of this host boys and other great stations and other great hosts is that you need to have a preparation plan. And here do I say, what do I say? I do it myself, whether we're here in Arizona, What food, water, the ability to communicate. Let's say your cell phones go down. Are those little handheld personal little like walkie talkie radio is important? Absolutely? Would they be overwhelmed with people on those frequencies, don't know, But an action plan that you would have not to be paranoid and right, Tony, you get the last word. I mean, this is powerful stuff and preparations the answer whether with these earthquaces, it.
Speaker 5: Is the answer. And also I think there's a lot of false information. So I'm so glad that doctor lay you clarified that for me that when I see a lot of hurricanes, I don't have to like stress about earthquakes. That was a big stress releaser.
Speaker 1: Thank you don't have to go to do not go to Costco or the big box stores in anticipation for toilet paper when you know that everybody is going to go there for that and want the special chicken, and don't forget the dollar sixty two or dollar fifty hot dog and drink. But do that in a day that's not necessarily about a panic or a big crisis. The doctor, we're coming up on the break here, and I keep saying it always seems like we have a break and that's a good thing because you know what it means that we're moving through time and space and there's a lot of interesting people that are on the line. We're going to get to you. If you're on the line, like line three, ist Do in New York, Line four Christine in New York City, Line five all in New Jersey, and how about line one Mike in lower the Lower east Side. Will do our very best to get back to you, and thank you once again for spending time with us on your weekend on the Doctor Scotty Experience. We'll be right back forty eight minutes after the hour. Casey reminds us to shake our booty howe propos when we talk about earthquakes. But on the serious note, our very special guests of the two hours is doctor Christine Dulaye, the Center Director the Earthquake Science Center of the US Geological Survey. Doctor I thought, playing that KSE thing is putting us in a little, you know, a little light mode too.
Speaker 2: What do you say, It's a happy it's a happy shaking mode made for sure. That's you know. I'd like to say. You know, I've felt quite a few earthquakes, and the first one I felt was in eighty eight and it wasn't Quebec to smort of New York, right, it was a four point line and I was maybe one hundred miles away, more than one hundred miles away, and there was still damage where I was at. It was very traumatic and everybody remembers where there were during that earthquake, and who's moving in California. I felt larger ones more frequent. I mean, I was really close to a seven point two where I was in the field to go measure, but make measurements following a six point four, and boom, there was a seven to two right there. It is very distressing and I want to acknowl so I do this for a living, and earthquakes happened suddenly there's and it's just really distressing and it's important to know what to you.
Speaker 1: Well, we want to maintain the seriousness about this. But the lines are lighting up here. You're just incredible here as far as popularity line number three, he's been patient still in New York City. You're on a doctor Gulan, How are you this morning too?
Speaker 6: A good morning? Actually it's still reads huge, but it doesn't matter. No, I guess this goes about twenty years back. I was living on eighty sixth Street and New York Avenue on the east side of Manhattan. I guess mostly don't know where that is, but it's on the east side of Island. And during the night, maybe about two three o'clock in the morning, I felt an easy, a little ceazy. I shook around. I didn't know what it was, and then I had a cat at the time. The cat jumps up on the bed, started dancing around and acting theuris. So I put my arm around the cut, calmed it down, and I went back to sleep. The next morning I found out that New York City had an earthquake, maybe a two or three or something like that, and I checked into it, and there is a fall that goes from west to east from the George Washington Bridge all the way across Manhattan, the Gracie mentioned on the east side, and with all the tunnels and tall buildings. I understand you're going to get into this later. What if Manhattan were ever had a giant earthquake, consider a tiny one?
Speaker 1: What is your name? What is your name?
Speaker 7: Sir?
Speaker 1: So I get it correctly. They were telling me it's Stu. What is your name? H h h g oh, okay, thank you. You know this is fascinating, but you want to go back to something before the doctor responds. The love and depth of animal perception cats and dogs, don't you think, doctor, they also have some kind of very amazing ability to sense these type of events. That's amazing. Of the earth frequencies, this is what you was talking about. I'm sure he's really revealing their earthquake. What say you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the animals feel earthquakes, we do as well. And the thing is that there was actually a lot of studies done in the seventies to try to correlate animal behavior with earthquakes. The thing is, animals behave in odd ways so for so many different reasons that we cannot correlate that. But some animals feel things more than others, and they can feel the beginning of the earthquake before you. I'm very sensitive personally, and when an earthquake happens in the middle of then I wake up and screens the earthquake and my husband said no, and then it's part shaking. So some people, some animals detect more than others.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Quick as we discussed the can happen anywhere, and in New York it's more rare. It's every couple of years or so that you have a small magnitutor, right, But it can happen. That's that's a fact.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. Christine joins us online four in the theater of the Mine. Good morning, Christine, how are you doing?
Speaker 8: Rning everybody. I had some weird experiences very recently. If I may, I'm going to speak fast. I can squeeze him in. There was a an earthquake in Granada, Spain, the same day an earthquake in Indonesia. There was an earthquake in Marrakesh recently that destroyed a thousand year old Islamic tower. There was a friend of mine who just came back from a family vacation in Europe. He was supposed to fly back from Sicily. He goes to Sicily and Mount Etna. The volcano blows up right in front of them. Then there was a few more things. I went to see a friend. I had to cancel the meeting with him because I said, there's going to be some tornadoes and I don't want to get caught in the tornadoes. The next day there are tornadoes also there was a recent volcanic eruption in Guatemala. I don't know the results of that, how strong they were.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of them, but it's just.
Speaker 8: Happening all over, like the Granada Indonesia, one with two different sizes of the world at once.
Speaker 1: Well, Christine, let me, yeah, let me ask our guests this. Because of limited time here, doctor, so you can address Christine she's I mean, you can address what Christine is saying too, about in your opinion, are we seeing more earthquakes by what measure?
Speaker 7: I mean?
Speaker 1: Or is it just a matter that we have better instruments to detect this? What would you say?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 2: I think that we detect more today, that's for sure. But you know, I know that this year there's more and more people asking me, is there more large magnitude earthquakes in general? Every year? Yeah, it's a very good question. Every year, we can expect around the world to have above seven something like ten to twenty, maybe a little bit more. This year we've had eleven. Okay, we're jely, we're in We're in August eleven. It's not out of their ordinary. You know, in twenty ten there was twenty four above seven. So it's normal the thing that we hear more about earthquakes when their current near population, when they cause damage, when they cause death, and we've had a few of those that had big impacts on people, and so then they become more prevalent in the news and people recognize them and think, oh, there's more earthquakes. But there's not more earthquakes. It's about about the in average, the same roughly every year, and again in the time span of earthquakes a year, that tiny fraction of time. These things developed over hundreds and thousands of years. So right now I don't I don't see that there's more earthquakes. There was a period last year in California where there's a little bit more, but it happens we're all overall, there's not There's not a big difference, you know that that we can speak of. It is like, oh, there's more earthquakes.
Speaker 1: Well, that's exactly the crux of our one. We wanted to find out if there is a higher instance, and you've kind of calmed us in that as we get into our number two in just a few moments. But it's rare to have one. To Christine's on at the same time. So Christine in New York City, a quick follow up if you do, because we're going to the top of the close of hour one. Have you still with us?
Speaker 8: Go ahead, Hi, Hi, doctor Christine. This is a fascinating subject and so many things that seem to be happening so close together. But the thing that really freaked me out with my friend coming back from Sicily having seen Mount Etna, the terrible volcano explode. He had to get a different plane because it ruined his chip home. Amazing, and that's a big one, Edna.
Speaker 1: Well, Christine in New York City, thank you for being part of the Doctor's Guy experience. I appreciate you as I want semi regular caller and hopefully you'll be a regular caller to our shows as we go and well, go out and get one the best guest we can in these subject matters the great mysteries of the universe. Thank you, Christinea in New York City. Doctor, this is something fascinating. And see how fast an hour goes when you're having fun. Yeah, So in our number two, I mean there's so many questions and by the way, ladies and gentlemen, if you're still on the line, like Paul in New Jersey, Mike in the Lower east Side, Pamela and New Jersey stew in Brooklyn. Will do our very best to get you on, of course, in our number two. Your patience is greatly appreciated here and for everybody else I'd like to do in US one eight hundred eight four eight nine to two two one eight hundred eight four eight WABC, how amazing is not an incredible set of numbers nine two two two WABC. So in hour number two we'll take your calls and obviously talk more about these mysteries, the great mysteries of earthquakes, and you know, dorectory if we go back into biblical stories eschatology of course, which is the end of times Greek for the expression last things. Again, many people that are extremely religious have a big connection to the Book of Revelations and all the things here that occur on the Earth, from asteroidal impacts, giant earthquakes, volcanoes and other amazing things. Here we want to keep not only our eyes to the sky and talking about that as we close out hour number one, a little live sky update. We have a partial lunar eclipse coming on Thursday evening the New York City and eastern daylight time. Look to the moon, the full Sturgeon Moon on the twenty seventh, nine to twenty three PM. That was when the eclipse begins. Partial maximum eclipse for the New York and Eastern daylight time twelve twelve am Eastern daylight time, and the whole thing ends sacred geometry at one fifty one am Friday, the twenty eighth. Convert your time zones across the nation. The planet Venus is in the west at sunset. You can't miss it. That's the thing that people call the UFO, but it's really a major planet, the goddess of love and beauty and Saturn high in the southeast at eleven PM. You can see it with the naked eye. But oh boy, imagine what you'd see if you had a moderate science telescope. One eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. And again our special guest, as we move into our number two, doctor Christine Doulay, the Center director for the Earthquake Science Center of the US Geological Survey, And you can check that website out. We have other websites we want to mention, and we'll talk in hour number two about her expertise in building construction and what we need to know about building big buildings, doing it by code to mitigate the devastating effects of earthquakes. More on the Doctor Skuying experience in our number two.
Speaker 3: Flock Radio seventy seven WABC, WABC New York, wrc R Haberstraw and one oh seven one wl R Hampton Bays.
Speaker 1: The universe is living inside you. You're on the Doctor Sky experience. As we move to the top of our number two, as we say moving through time and space, Doctor Doulais is our special guest and what I wanted to get to you doctor, and I appreciate your time as always is your connection to building risks and what happens with buildings today. That's another area of expertise. Describe that to the audience because it's a powerful thing in today, you know, blending architecture construction, How do we build safer buildings knowing what we know about earthquakes.
Speaker 2: So we know that earthquakes bring shaking, and shaking is different than just the natural loads that we have. It shakes in three dimensions. It's left and right and up and down. So that creates as you can imagine it generates a lot of forces on buildings, so they need to be designed more safely. So there's building codes that get updated regularly, and there's different techniques that are used to make buildings safer and so over the years, over the use of the building code improves, the newer building tend to be more resilient to earthquakes. The goal of the building code is to prevent collapse, and one thing that people don't tend to realize is that, well, something built to code doesn't mean that the building is usable after an earthquake. It can be damaged beyond retair. The goal is to save lives, so to really reduce the chances of collapse. But after that maybe it's too damage and needs to be torn down and rebuilt, so not on. Yeah, that's the purpose of the building code is really to save lives, not necessarily to make a building last forever.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Am I correct doctor in this assessment. I've read somewhere. Can't see where I read this, but I think it's in the back of my head that on certain tall superstructure buildings they have this gigantic weight or something up on the very top of the building, not outside but inside, so that when the building's way by wind. Describe that? Am I correct in this? Am I describing it correctly?
Speaker 2: Yes, it exists. It's called the act. There's active or fastest tune dampers, so it's a massive There's one that you can find videos that are amazing online in Taiwan. I think it's the Taipei Tower and maybe I got the If you just search Taiwan earthquake damper, people find that there's videos of that. Yeah, so some some are so you have the weight on top to to to reduce the motion on top because the building it shakes at the bottom, but the waves move and it wants to make the top move a lot. And so these big masses, some of them are are are moved and controlled. But just the fact that you have a lot of weight on top, it reduces the motion on the top and so and it's also useful for those very it's all buildings when there's a lot of wind because people it sometimes gets sick even from the motion in thongs.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, never thought about that. And look at Bill's big structures like the birds Khalifa. I mean in other buildings, it looks like they're continuing to build I've read somewhere. I think Saudi Arabia is looking to build a building. That's what well upwards I think of, even like a half a mile. Maybe I'm incorrect, but I hope they're paying strict attention to what's under that ground. Obviously, let's go to the callers. We continue line number two. He's been patient Paul in New Jersey. You're on with doctor Goulay. Good morning, Go ahead, Paul. If you're with us, well, we're not making contact, Paul. We're going to move forward. Let's go to line number three. Stu's been patient in Brooklyn. You're on with doctor Goulay.
Speaker 9: Hello, Yeah, he's eating doctor. After the last time I sailed past the Azores, we had no Surmarnis and there was a very famous s Knew Me that wiped out Lisbon a couple hundred years ago. So question one, what sort of seismic activity does it take to trigger that type of event? And question two is the children of Crackataa as they called in Indonesia, why do you do a repeat performances blow up again? Which would be very saying because I love savatric coffee and the impact I like it too, would be consider it right.
Speaker 1: No, that's interesting, doctor. He brings up some very interesting points about I guess what would take what type of an event, size of Richter scale earthquake would of course do that. And about Krakatoa of the past. That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Krakatoa. I mean it could it could erupt again. It's an active volcano that was a massive, uh eruption. I mean I don't know the average recurrence of the eruption, but it's active, so it could it erupted again.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's incredible. But also, Stu, I want to add in the doctor I think has a lot of information on this, more so that the loudest sounds in the world that was ever recorded. And this is again with primitive interest. This is incredible, Doctor. It stated here and I've read this. I'm not reading this. I'm just remembering it. Over three hundred plus decibels was the loudest sound. But here's the story. A British ship was passing forty miles away from Krakatoa and ear drums were blown out, I mean punctured. Can you imagine a sound, Stu, if you're still with us three hundred plus decibels on the scale. Imagine the energy that came out of Krakatoa. And you're saying, doctor, what it's still an active volcano.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, Yeah, that was massive, and it's true what you're saying. There's a lot of very interesting videos that explain how this also, you know, show how the Earth is a globe and how the sound and the waves traveled around the world multiple times.
Speaker 1: It's very interesting, totally amazing. And another event that happened here and I'm not reading this, is that we had the amazing submarine volcano a few years ago, and that particular the submarine volcano in the South Pacific that sense shockwaves around the Earth. Can you imagine being there do actor near those islands? And that was the Hunger Tounga submarine volcano. That is incredible. So the Earth, we have to look at it this way, as it's said many times, the Earth, for all the beatings it's taken over the course of history, you know, geologic time, it has a living, breathing entity inside of it that keeps us going. Not a reason to pollute the Earth, but certainly something fascinating. Let's go with the callers again, Line number four. Benny in Bayside. You've been patient. You're on with the good doctor Gulett. Benny's gone. Let's go to line number five. How about Nick in Virginia. Nick, you're on with doctor gula Good morning.
Speaker 10: Good morning, Doctor Scott and doctor Gulay. I have some a lot of concern actually about politics interfacing with science and somewhat distorting it. I'll give you an example. There's been a lot of underwater volcano underwater volcanic action in the oceans, and that's heated up the oceans. But it seems like the CO two and the Sun is getting blamed and that's driving cars or getting blamed for the earth heating up. And I'm not so sure that's true science. But when I hear commercials on the radio that are that are in disguised as public service announcement saying, well, the Earth is running out of natural resources and in thirty years we'll need three times you've got. I've lived a long time and I've seen these hoaxes, and I'm wondering, Doctor Scott, you and your guest, how concerned are you about politics entering the world of science and influencing people to stam six feet apart and wear a paper mask and you know that's none of it was good.
Speaker 1: Well, Nick, it's another subject. But I'm with you, brother, because obviously gain of function is the thing that we were talking about a long long time ago and people are still talking about it. And what's interesting about that the intercession of science and politics. Well, let's help we don't get another repeat performance of what we had with the COVID situation. But doctor, if you want to comment on that, that's a little out of the realm of what we were talking about. But hey, Nick, you bring up something very positive, go ahead. Doctor. If you want to take a told him you we used to stab at that shake on that one, go right ahead.
Speaker 2: So for me, science is not politics and it's not related. And all the scientists at work and that I work with and that I know, really the goal is always to find the best science, the best knowledge, and with with data that is ver verifiable and all that. To me, these things are completely separate. Science informs us and really helps society be safer, and it's really important that we continue to do science.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I mean, it's look at what happened again. Not to be overly repetitive, I think you're saying it very well, Nick in Virginia, that when that happens, that's a really amazing collision course. And I think if we can try to separate that, But the bigger point is right doctor, and right Nick in Virginia. But can't we all just simply get along? Wouldn't that be a great, a great thing to do? That I saw this planet with about what eight point seventy five billion souls running around as we had with some of the better voices than mine, or those little pieces that you hear right after the thirty minute mark of the show, after the heartbreak you hear about the pale blue dot that Carl Sagan talked about eight point seventy five billion people sitting on that tiny little sliver and that tiny little round ball. So a lot of positives that can come out of that on the side of all getting along. Well, we're just about at the next break here, But doctor, I do want to talk about something when we come back, and that is not to forget the December twenty sixth, two thousand and four Sumatra, Indonesian quake, and also what seemed to got more coverage on that was the entire tsunami and that a totally devastating thing. You see the water, what people are on the beach, and all of a sudden, one of the telltale signs of a tsunami. What the water gets pulled out and then all of a sudden, this thing comes through. And I can only imagine, God bless those that lost their lives in such a horrific thing. What an amazing story. Isn't that something else? I mean, tsunamis are just off the charts, totally incredible. Well, you know, ladies and gentlemen, still time to get in on the conversation one eight hundred and eight four eight nine two two two as we continue to talk with doctor Christine Goulay. And don't forget check out these websites. I'm gonna give a couple really quickly here.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to learn about builders risks in certain areas, you can put your address in there. It's called us seismicmaps dot org. Us seismicmaps dot org and so many other great websites like FEMA dot org. If you want to look at earthquake hazards and without a doubt, go to USGS dot gov. Doctor will be right back in our last break as we move through time and space, concluding our number two of the Doctor Scully Experience. Forty seven minutes after the hour, we continue. We bring Carl and line three in New Jersey to the microphone in the Doctor Sky theater of the Mine. Good morning, Carl, you're on with doctor Gulai. How are you doing?
Speaker 3: Good morning, Doctor Sky and Doctor Galley. I have a question, and the question is there a direct connection between volcanic activity and earthquakes? And and so what is that connection?
Speaker 7: Doctor?
Speaker 1: Do we lose you for a moment?
Speaker 7: Oh, I'm sure, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Did you hear the question from Carl.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Go ahead, I'm sorry, Yes, can you hear me?
Speaker 7: Clear you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So they are connected the whole concept of the tectonic place.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: And we talked about the subduction zone where the ocean cross goes under the the the continental cross. You will see that most of the volcanoes, not all, most of them are along that that subduction zone. These things are related, they all work together. The volcanoes are are are are related to the all the dynamic fluid motions and and the conveyor belt we discussed at the very beginning of the show here and so they are related. And so that's that's my very uh ineloquent short answer. But yes answer.
Speaker 1: I like the answer. Thank you, Carl and Jersey, appreciate you. Sorry to cut you off, doctor, I just want to try to get as many people in there. They've been patient Line number three. We welcome Tom and Long Island. Tom. Good morning, you're I'm a doctor Gulain.
Speaker 7: Hi question is we know every action has a reaction, and I recall the owner A. S. John Kenneth. Excuse me. I said that the oil is basically a fluid that lubricates the Titanic plates. Now, if we take too much oil out, leaving the Titanic place below a level that makes a lubricant, could this cause more earthquakes?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 7: Do we see so many countries around the world pulling out this crude oil?
Speaker 1: Low? Tom, that's pretty powerful, pulling oil out of the earth as a lubricant. What does that do? Is there any scientific signs to that, doctor?
Speaker 2: Well, what we definitely see more earthquakes where we do oil exploitation and whenever we touch the cross So there's there's been increase in seismic activity and to access Oklahoma and other places. Same thing when we do geothermal this is something we study. We call that induced earthquakes, and this is something that we measure as well, and we study them. And there's been a increase in the earthquakes when the production increases. That's just a general trend and but those things are monitored and we keep an eye on it. And then yeah, the humans can can create some level of earthquakes.
Speaker 1: It's neat, Tom, Thank you so much, very inspirational. There about something I had no idea of and you bring that to the audience. Thank you for your participation. We close out the show. Hopefully we have more time in the future to talk about the subject. And we'll ask the Good Doctor later if she'll rejoin us as time goes online. Number four, Kevin and the Long Beach. You've been patient. You're on with doctor Gula.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Hey, great Joe. Thanks to mister Cassmithides and his wife were a great network to do this. I'm almost happy he's not Mayor. I don't know if he would have done ABC Quickly. Time is running out the Yellowstone buffalo or leaving and the animals, and they say there's things with Yellowstone. Second thing is is there anything with the alignment of full moons that create that. And thirdly, and most importantly, one of the evidence that they say, and they say it would have registered. If two one hundred and ten story buildings went down, there would have been a seismic register. And since it disintegrated into thin air, that's one of the theories of nine to eleven. Can you answer that first? And then because they say that is a hole.
Speaker 1: In the story, So I guess you're asking, Kevin, was that when the buildings came down on nine to eleven, did they create a seismic wave? Is that what I'm hearing? And the good doctent good?
Speaker 3: Then, but there was there was no seismic wave, and no.
Speaker 2: We can we can measure that anything from building falling down, explosions, mining, all those things are detected by by by the seismic networks and they can be measured. Indeed, Yeah, m hm.
Speaker 1: And your first point, Kevin, I don't know if we heard it clearly, but police continue before the clock runs out. What was your second I mean your first concern? You?
Speaker 3: Oh, the first concern is all the animals leaving Yellowstone. Secondly, the any any full moons have an effect. And thirdly, there was no seismic detection of those buildings coming down because they disintegrate into thin air, a scientific impossibility, and the story is a false story.
Speaker 1: Kevin, thank you for your information. Good as we close out the show, Doctor, this is interesting about as we talk about animals and perception of what they can feel, and they know things that we don't and they feel it, and then that's a very interesting thing. The moon, of course, has some tug on the earth we know astronomically because of tides. How do you respond to those?
Speaker 2: So it does have a tug and it creates some some pressures. As you know, we do have the sides and they're due to the moon, but we've not seen a correlation, and it doesn't it doesn't act in a systematic way that suddenly we can see a difference in earthquakes because of that, So that's not something that we've been able to observe. Animals feel things, but they're not magical. They react to things, so they may sense vibrations and and I don't know if they're leaving Yellowstone, I'm not aware of the animal behavior, but certainly animals react to the environment if it feels shaking or something unusual. They will they will try to get away from what appears to be express its survival instincts, and I think we will do the same.
Speaker 1: Kevin and Long Beach, thank you. I appreciate your contribution to the show. Let me ask this because we only have a few minutes. Your description of December twenty six, two thousand and four so much or the Indonesian earthquake. I always saw this as what more of the impact of that was the tsunami and it went far and wide.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, yes, so yeah, that that I mean the earthquake itself was the eight hundred miles long, and it moved in several several feet in different places. So imagine that eight hundred miles and you move, you move under you moved the floor of the ocean by several feet. So it's generated just big waves and of course those that were very close and then that actually received the weed. The first thing that happened is that the ocean receded. We often see that it's the opposite of the tsunami. And then the waves come in and there's multiple waves. It's not just one and and they're not waves.
Speaker 9: It's really it's really.
Speaker 2: The ocean moving in and then but then it moves away and it can reach far lands. And when it's traveling in the very very deep ocean, you don't you might not even see it at the surface. It's like it's very small, like it it's not, it's not, it's very small, but it it travels at the seed of an airplane, and it travels super fast. And when it reaches the shore and it becomes shallow, the water needs to go somewhere, so it rises and it lifts up. It becomes this big, massive, uh wall of water that that reaches on land. And yet it was absolute devastating.
Speaker 1: Well, the March eleven, twenty eleven, that one, of course, a powerful nine something on the scale. There's also I saw videos of this. I never knew that. I thought it was just the damage was the earthquake itself, the shaking. It was also a lot a very powerful tsunami. I mean describing that it was going higher than a ten story building. That's just it's hard to even imagine that, right.
Speaker 2: Doctor, Yeah, it is hard and the nature is powerful. So those two events were very traumatic and a lot of people lost their lives. That's very sense, that's very yeah, it's very sad and.
Speaker 1: Mother Earth is very resilient. Not a reason to pollute our planet. But obviously through dinosaurs, asteroidal impacts of you know, moving out dinosaurs and different species, all the extinction events on the Earth. Obviously, as Carl Sagan said, we need to cherish the pale blue dot because we haven't found anything like it right doctor out there in the deep universe, at least at this point in time. And that's a whole other subject. We wrap it up with you. You get the last word. We got about it minute and a half and tell us how can people get in touch with you if there's another way? Is there a direct link to you off of USGS dot go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they can. They can find me on the by looking for my name and the USGS and you'll find a lake there to reach out to me. One thing we talked about preparedness, not just for earthquakes. I think there's a lot of things people can prepare for. If you go to Earthquake Country dot org, that's a place where it's really focused on earthquake preparation. There's earthquake kits, but it's true for storms, lots of power and all apples there's there's a lot of ways you can get prepared and be more ready for these things and and and know what to do if it shakes. Drop copper and hold on, protect yourself and go on the USGS website and fill out the did you feel it survey to tell us how it helps for you and what the shaking was like. And we use that in addition to instruments and real, you know, scientific data, we use thank your information to learn.
Speaker 1: A privileging honor to have you. I hope you'll come back again as we talk about this as the Earth continues to amaze us deep from within the Earth. I appreciate your time doctor here USGS dot gov, and I want to thank you for spending time with us in your busy schedule. I know you were recovering from some temporary things going on there and it's now it's been made possible, So thank you for joining us on the Doctor Sky experience.
Speaker 9: Appreciate, thank you, and thank you to your callers.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, what a wonderful time. More information, folks, as we continue to talk about what's happening the live sky. As I mentioned, a rather deep partial lunary clipse. This is plus ninety percent don't forget Thursday evening, August the twenty seventh, you'll start to see this eclipse. The beginning of partiality is nine to twenty three pm eastern daylightfetime. Maximum of the eclipse moves on to Friday February twenty eighth, twelve twelve A, So if you wanted to see the best of this, that's when it would happen eastern daylight time. Thanks again to our helmsman Bill and Jackson, and stay tuned to seventy seven WABC for another side of Midnight with Lionel as he takes us to the break of dawn. As we move with light speed through the month of August twenty twenty six, more of these great subjects, mysteries of the universe and mysteries of the mind. We hope you learned something, and that's our goal. We'll see you in a little bit a short time there we in next week. Clear skies and good health as we say thank you to this audience.