Speaker 1: How's uh oh, have you been noticing how like our government would fall apart if anybody wanted the role of prime minister but nobody does.
Speaker 2: Have you?
Speaker 1: Are you aware of what's going on over here? I guess that's a question.
Speaker 2: I mean I saw like Keith getting he was like trying to call I guess it was called a session of Parliament together or something like that, and like like he got booed and like people yet like, yeah, it seems like he's the most cucked man in the world.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: No one else wants the chair right now.
Speaker 1: That's basically it. Yeah, so like what happened because we talked about it before, you know, there was the guy Peter Mandelsson, who was one of Jeffrey Eveseen's close personal friends that kir Starmer appointed to the ambassadorship of America anyway, so you know, and then that was a bad idea in and of itself. We can all agree on that. We can all agree on that. But then also like then everyone suddenly noticed that he was like good friends with Jeffrey Epstein, Like when the Trump administration did that, like latest Epstein league, everybody knew already every leftist in the UK had this picture of Peter Mendelssohn belt shopping with Jeffrey Epstein like saved on their phone. Okay, so we all knew anyway, but then suddenly everybody noticed. And then anyway, it's like come out more recently that when he was put into the position, he failed his like security clearance check. But they were like, but you know he was put forward anyway, Cures Starmer's line about this, and he said this in Parliament, which is the big deal, is that he hadn't known that Peter Mendelssohn had failed his security clearance and his line last week was that he learned about it on Tuesday. But the thing about it, it was that story had actually broken already in September, and it's just kind of like no one had like pointed out. And also it doesn't make any fucking sense, right, So anyway, he fires the head of like a long standing civil servant who was like the head of the Office of Florid Affairs because he's like, you should have told me. I didn't know this. And the guy then got called before like to testify about this and was like, well, here's the thing. They announced that he was the new US ambassador and then had him start working immediately before any of the checks got done anyway, so he was already working. He was already like had all the documents in front of him. And then basically they were like told, Okay, well that's the guy, and they were like, uh, seems like he failing the things. And they were like, well, there's nothing we can do about it because they already announced it, and like by behind the scenes, like Starmar's right hand man Morgan McSweeney, who was already forced to resign over this, had apparently told him to just get it fucking done unquote. And it's like the whole thing, it's like super super obvious because it's just like a quid pro quote because basically Mendelssohn and Morgan McSweeney had run this whole like really in depth operation called Labor together while Jeremy Corbyn was the leader of the Labor Party, where they were like essentially sabotaging the Labor Party from within, and that was the whole where the whole anti Semitism thing came from. So because Mandelssohn ran all of that and it worked, basically, his payoff was you get to be the US ambassador, right, And anyway, it's very very funny because now Kerre Starmer's like, like, what's an appointment? I've never met that, but I don't know anything that ever happened, And it's like everyone is like a dog, like this is literally unbelievable, and like apparently he was in a parliament yesterday and he was like, I know it beggars belief, but I simply didn't know, and everyone started like laughing at him because it's like, bro, it's literally unbelievable, like you're just lying. But the thing is, nobody else wants the job, like especially because we're about to have like an election on the ninth where we're gonna we elect our counselors, so like our our local people, and like Labor is gonna get absolutely fucking destroyed in the pulse. They're gonna get like decimated, they're gonna be gone, and so basically nobody else wants to take the fall before that happens. So he's just like hanging around like a ghost. But also like the Labor Party is just like completely toast because like they've just destroyed it. So yeah, it's it's interesting over here, but I'm not getting a lot of work done. Like I basically got nothing done yesterday because I was just like enjoying schadenfreude.
Speaker 2: Who you know, so who, like, who else in the labor party is there to take this? Are they are?
Speaker 3: They?
Speaker 2: Are they finally gonna They're just gonna put David Lammy in there or something?
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so no, because like David Lammy is totally tainted by this as well, I thought. And so interestingly, like before all of this, they had been sort of setting up this one like odious little Mark west streeting for the job, and he is like a genuine piece of shit like transfo but he was super good friends with Peter Mandelsson too, so like he can't come in because he's like Mandelsson's guy. Could be at Billiband, could be like on the news yesterday, like there's a there was a good kind of clip circulating where he was like on the news and someone was like yeah, dude, But like the trouble is everybody knew Peter Mandelson was a piece of shit, and like you watch him being like yeah, yeah, like and then he was sort of like it was just like no, it's a fair point, Like at a point tell you just like let him be, like watch him be, like I'm not gonna do this anymore, Like I'm just not going to toe the line.
Speaker 3: So could be him would have been the Mayor of Manchester, Andy Burnham, but Cure Starber blocked him from running for.
Speaker 1: MP so that he wouldn't be able to challenge because like that's how much everybody hates Cure Starber. So like, yeah, like the whole thing, it's it's just like an incredible it's just very funny because like all of the Centrists when these guys got in, were like finally the grown ups are back in charge, and it's like yeah, by that you mean it's just like the same like odious group of pricks that you know, Like it's it's just really incredible stuff. What can I say, the worst to ever do it. He's genuinely the most disliked prime minister since anybody started like counting records. I'm talking less popular than Margaret Thatcher m because at least, like Margaret Thatcher did stuff for rich people.
Speaker 2: Like did I read correctly that they're banning the sale of cigarettes to anyone born after like a week ago?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like two thousand and eight, yeah, which is like, how is that's not lee, Like you can't just you can't just do that. Like so if you're like born in two thousand and eight, you can have cigarettes, but if you're born in two thousand and nine you can't.
Speaker 2: Boo, Yeah, what what is that suppose?
Speaker 1: I don't And also it's like bra vapes are available, like it's just like it's just nanny state stuff. That's the only thing they're interested in doing, right, Like it's.
Speaker 2: But I just don't, like, cannot comprehend that just seems like something engineered to piss people off and not like I don't know what possible upside, Like I can't imagine there were people who were like I wasn't going to vote, but now that they've put those young whippers staff, like all those old people are going to vote. Any I just don't understand what the like hmmm hmm man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh, I don't really understand who it's for. Like literally nobody was asking for this, right, so it's just like the entire thing is just like the like I mean, and and that's what we're offered, right like in lieu of any form of like governing, you know, like no good things can happen, right, it's just like only stasis, and so it's pretty funny. It's a pretty good, pretty good time to be alive over here. What can I say? We're doing great.
Speaker 2: You know, I uh, I'm having fun at least, that's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think that's important.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't.
Speaker 1: Man, it's difficult to say, my friend, it's difficult to say. Like, I mean, the one thing that I am really enjoying is like the tears of my enemies, you know, like I want revenge.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well good.
Speaker 1: For me, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, revenge is is what you need to get by. You gotta you gotta you gotta see you gotta see them suffer to some degree. Uh.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely, So yeah, yeah that's great.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean we're just uh whatever, We're just heading towards the abyss.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Trump will either go too far and do something that gets around round to like really retaliate and and destroy uh you know, the uh the Pedro dollar, or he'll back down and try to like make him ends of the run, and Israel will just release like some of whatever they have on him, just like they have on so many people. And yeah, and then you know, then we'll get to do that. So like I mean, I don't know, We're all just like we're all just continually waiting on the edge, just like the precipice of the end of the world and the end of everything we got going on, and mm hmm, I mean and it like, I mean, it just depends like what happens first is like, you know, does does the Iran situation like really like just flare up to such a degree that that the economy gets destroyed? Does the AI bubble crash does like some video of Trump doing something horrifying beyond measure like come out, like what what is the what? What is the thing that pushes us over the edge, Because I mean like there's like a million of them and they could do it, and like you know, right now the US is you know, you got spinning plates and we're like stepping over banana peels and everything, and we got forty spinning plates, you know, like and they're all going and the thing is like when one of them falls, the rest will fall because the state isn't it's it's not uh, it's been hollowed out and out of the point where like you can't do that. We can't. We we don't have global soft power anymore. We're basically the global hedgemon now because of the entropy of empire, like and China doesn't feel that they're ready to push us over yet. Yeah, so, uh, I don't know. It's it's all incompetence. All the way down over here, Democrats aren't doing anything. It's almost like we need a third party of some kind here.
Speaker 1: Uh well, listen, look it happened here like unfortunately for us, like our white our right wing got even crazier.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's a I don't think I think that's an inevitability.
Speaker 1: Like I just think it's uh, but yeah, I think that kind of comes with the territory. But you know, like green parties are doing good over here, we're doing really well.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry to see what we do in the midterms. But yeah, like at this point in time, we're we're basically just taking over all that. But and it's a genuine leftist alternative and it's it's really exciting, you know. So that's cool. Yeah, like it can happen, it's but there has to be like I mean, I guess also it's true that it's like, of course we have the parliamentary system, so it's, uh, it's a little bit different, but you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I mean we got you know, we get the majority two party system here. And that doesn't mean that third parties never happen. It just means that it takes a little bit longer and things have to progress to a point to to to to to create the conditions for those things to happen. And I mean that is I think, I think that's what you get with like with with this if you who are fed up and they don't have anywhere else to go right now, and I mean I would guess it probably happens in twenty twenty eight or early twenty twenty nine after like a dim whoever it is, wins the election and they come in and nothing changes at all. I mean even if they even the most good hearted them, they're not going to have the votes to change things the way that they needed to that they need to be and they'd have to fight their own party and everything, and I mean it's just going to tear them apart, just like Dems are going to fall apart or Republicans are going to fall apart. Whenever Trump dies, you know or what I don't know, whatever happens first anyway, Yeah, let's let's talk abou.
Speaker 1: Just some questions. Yeah, let's do it. It'd be good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do that. All right. Hello, and welcome back to We're Not So Different podcast about how we're all staring into the abyss. This is staring back and we're laughing and the abyss is laughing and we're all having a good time. Hello. Today, folks, we are going to do some more mail more, more, more, more.
Speaker 1: Et cetera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we all remember that one gift. Y'all remember that movie, folks. As promised, we're back with another mailbag episode for April. As we said last time, we will be starting a short series on pre modern Iran next episode. But for now, it's a male time. We Today, we're gonna answer questions about Boulogne's medieval tower blocks, cuckoldry, medieval sex said, state monopolies of for So, Gregorian chance, and more. Enjoy first, we got one from oh and if you want to ask us questions like these, please subscribe to Patreon Patreon dot com, slash wnst pod. It is five dollars a month you get access to this bonus episodes, access to the Discord, et cetera, et cetera. So check that out. And while you're there, you can also check out Eleanor and Phoebe Roy's limited series on wolf Hall, the TV show. Check that out. You can get access to all seven episodes for just fifteen dollars. So yeah, that is cool. Yeah, anyway, here we go. So first one we got is from dog God who says, regarding rushes as a floor covering, are they always woven into mats or is it something more of a hamster cage style situation.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is a great question and the answer is sometimes it is like like a fancy people. Okay, like fancy people are doing the woven thing, but if you're a peasant, do do you like have time for weaving rushes less? So right, so they might like hamster cage it and basically after like a day or two of trotting it down, it's fine, and they change them super regularly. So it's like, really, if you were gonna sit there and like redo the rushes like completely woven every time, it's too much. So you're fancy people, they've got woven once your regular ass peasants a little more, little more, hamster cage a little more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh, rushes are what are Russias exactly? Like it's like a It's like they're.
Speaker 1: Like like I kind of oftentimes a plant that lives in quite boggy conditions. So they have these like big long spear shaped leaves. That's right, And that's and that's essentially what you're doing. They smell nice, you know. It means that you're not like damaging the floor under it. You know, a lot of people have a compacted earth floors, so you just you don't necessarily want to be like on the dirt all the time. Yeah, so it just gives you a little bit.
Speaker 2: It gives you. It gives you something like yeah, you know and uh you know when you've got to pee in the corner like a dog. No, I'm just kidding, Yeah, that's right. Yeah, right, yeah, there you go. Uh And now I'm just thinking about like keeping a house clean when you live on dirt floors, and well that's I mean, that's what the Russians are for, right, No, I know, I know, but like I'm just like like the whole I'm just like compounding it, like oh it feels so gritty under my feet. Oh god, I hate that all your feet would.
Speaker 1: Like ah anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I wasn't built for those times. Uh, I did not. I do not have the medieval dog in me. Dog God. Yeah, thank you for the question. Next we got one from A J. A me and oh so many players of Crusader think kings have an unhealthy question mark exclamation point interest in incestuous relationships, at least within the confines of the game. Well, that's a very good qualifier there at the.
Speaker 1: End, you know. Yeah, well done you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so my question, uh so, my question is how common was this in the Middle Ages with the nobility and normal folks. Was there different views within different strata of society. Have people learned from royals of classical age that this was not a good thing for your kids given a generation to if nothing else? How bad of a sin did the Church find incest to be?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's enough of a sin that like you can annul marriages for consequinity, right, so that that's something to keep in mind. But also, like I mean it, certainly they don't think that you should like marry your brothers and sisters and things like that. And indeed, actually one of the things when the church starts getting more involved in marriage, there's a real pushback to it on the behalf of the nobility, because the nobility don't want their children to make their own decisions about who can get married. Yeah, and the church is really big on no, No, you need to be able to marry who you want to.
Speaker 2: Is very clear about the like, yeah, say what you will about the Bible, but it's very clear having sex with your immediate relatives bad. Forcing people into marriage also bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, So, like they very much don't want families making these ideas. And also they're a big part of who is like pushing to say no consanguinity like no, like to stop marrying your cousin's dude, Like it's it's not a good idea. Now, people do know that you are essentially you are tempting fate if you, if you like, get too married in inter family, right, Like they are aware of that they do attempt to marry someone outside of the family, and indeed, like they are usually using marriages to try to make more alliances. So like they are probably going to try to, for example, get married to like someone from a kingdom a little bit farther away, like you know, people that they know they can make strategic alliances with. So you know, yeah, like you probably already have the stuff covered from families, so that that does kind of go away. Now this isn't to say that incests doesn't happen, but like, so for example, you know, obviously every single thing I do is about ghosts at the moment, but like we have particular ghost stories that crop up where specifically they're like, oh, yeah, this guy who was like shagging his daughter came back. So I got this one out from the Dialogue of Miracles of these areas of Hesterbach. So he's working kind of in the twelfth century outside of Cologne. And let me just read this to you. In the diocese of trevs that where the former vision occurred as a former gross story. Before this, there was another knight named Henry Nodys like name him, name him and shame him. Now. He was deeply mired in wickedness and sin, and regarded rapine, adultery, incest, perjury, and other such crimes as deeds of virtue. When he died in the province of Menevelt, he appeared to many in sheep skin, and kept frequenting the house of his daughter, as he had been wont to do when alive. Whether admonished by the side of the cross or threatened with the drawn sword, he would not be driven away. Indeed, his specter was often struck with a sword, but could not be wounded, giving out the kind of sound that a soft bed makes when it is struck. I really like that. That's very evocative. His friends consulted John, the Lord Bishop of trevs and he advised them to pour water on a nail, which was a relic of the crucifixion match, and to use it to sprinkle water around the house and on his daughter, and on the man himself if he was present. This was done, and he never appeared again. Although he was legally married, he had fathered the dog on his maid servant, and rich that he was, he had to botch the daughter when she grew up. It is not long since these things happened. So Jesus, what does this tell us? It tells us in the first place, that like people may do be having incest, but that people take a low view of it. Right, the church is like and you will turn into a demon after death, and everyone will hate you, right, So it shows us that it's possible, but certainly frowned upon, if that makes sense. So yeah, like it's out there, it's within the things, but I mean, I it's not really until the early modern period, and like the Habsburgs are kind of the best to ever do it, right, like in terms of the inbreeding thing. But yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think I think it was much more of an issue within the nobility.
Speaker 1: I yeah, like an ordinary people, that's not a thing.
Speaker 2: They're not gonna unless unless there's something kind of weird going on, or you were just like incredibly secluded in a in like a very crazy ass way.
Speaker 1: Like look unless you get your head stuck, yes, the wash house and your step brother walks by, okay, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's just like I mean, people have known. We can tell from from genomic evidence that that people have known for a long time that you're not. It's really bad to like fuck someone who's related, who's closely related to you, because it messes up the kids that you have. Like this is something that predate like is like it predates human civilization. Like you very very rarely find something find something where uh, two people who are you know, one who are brother and sister or you know, parent and child where they're procreating, and then it's all it's basically always associated with royalty, which you know in the past did happen you know they were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, yeah, like I mean, and it's it's only the sickos of the ruling classes.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, you know, yeah, yeah you're not. Yeah. But then as Eleanor said, like the secos of the ruling classes, like they're the what you know, you don't ever need to feel bad for nobles or royalty, but in the case of them like wanting to just marry someone that they like or can tolerate or of their choosing, you do just kind of have to be like that fucking sucks, man, I'm really sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah yea, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, uh, don't don't feel bad for them all the time or anything, but like they didn't get to marry for love. If they got if they got to marry, if they married someone that they tolerate they enjoyed being around, that was.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, that's good as a guts basically for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, but yeah, and you know, you do have to go to the church to get exceptions for contanquinity, uh for anything. I think it was within like fourth or fifth cousins something that Yes, it's Look, they they didn't understand the DNA and and and uh and Janes and everything like that, but they understood that like you don't do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they understood that was a bad idea.
Speaker 2: It was a bad idea. Not only did the Bible say it was bad, like you can tell like you know when like wow, those those children are really not holding Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: A j A.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for the question. Next, we got one uh from Alie can't and actually got two on the same thing. One from Ali Can't and then one from Mr Face And these are both on the famous bolgns medieval tower blocks. He says, what was the deal with the famous medieval tower box of Bologna? And m Junior Face says, did many other did many or any other cities have towers like these or this many towers? I have to assume few, because it's something you know, you don't here mentioned that often? How common was this?
Speaker 1: Okay? So well, the answer is that Bologna is the best to ever do it. Yeah, like this friend of the podcast, The Beautiful City of Bologna, l Rosa comrades all the way they invented the university, they invented being a sick ass communist who kills fascists, and they also invented lasagna. So, you know, thank you to my good friends there as you know, the people who know you girl know, I go there a lot because since there's a lot of leftists there, they're always like bringing my boyfriend over to teach sex said and things like that, and yeah, they've still got a lot of these And it's really interesting because so, for example, they will depict all of the towers when they're kind of drawing things, so for example, statues of like their patron saint whose name escapes me off the top of my head. He'll be holding a little miniature version of the city. It's got all like the little tower sticking up like it's a little porcupine. And the answer is that they have the most of them. The deal with them is, you know, it's a couple things. One of the main things it is is basically just a dick wagon contest. No yeah, I know, right, Like it's it's mostly just being like, oh, yeah, I've got to who you guys are. I got a tower. So if you're like one of the big patrician families, you sort of have to build a tower to prove you're one of the big patrician families. It's just like it's just sort of what it's done. In theory. They can be used for defensive purposes, but if you I first see them, they're like really really thin. You know. It's kind of like building an ordinary house up like ten stories in the air. Yeah, so like I mean you could dump things down on people, but they're also kind of easy to catch on fire yea, and things like that. So I mean, I think probably when they started out, it was considered to be a defensive thing, and like certainly you can like look out from them, so it sort of tells you what's going on around you. But yeah, it's by the end of it, it's just kind of like the thing that you have to do in order to perform patricianness. Right now, they are not the only city to do this, they're just the one that did it the most. So for example, Florence also does this. And I found out about this just the other week when I was out at the Bristol Medieval Postgraduate Conference. I saw a really cool paper by this guy who did an analysis of all the tower blocks in Florence and there there are a bunch of them, and he was the one who was like, yeah, I mean, like it should Can we talk about how it's probably not very defensible and we were like looking at him, it's like, yeah, I mean there are yeah, like there are cases apparently where like they'd be getting attacked and that like someone would escape from one to the other by like putting like a plank across. But you've got to in theory, like be willing to run that gauntlet. Well, you've got a lot of angry people below you and stuff, but it's this really important thing in order to show who you are. So yeah, they're they're incredibly cool, and you gotta be very careful if you There are some that will be open sometimes in Bologna, but like check ahead. I've never managed to make it inside one yet, but I'm always there on like a Tuesday as well, so it's like weird. But yeah, if you're thinking about going to Italy, I just recommend going to Bologna so fucking hard. Like I mean, I promise you, I promise you. You don't really need to go to like Florence as much as you think you do, because you're just mostly going to see a bunch of tourists. You want to go to Bologna, that's the one, that's the one. Okay. Yeah, if you're going to go to Milan, you don't have to go to Bolan. But if you're going to go to Milan, go to the Communist Club for dinner, okay, because there's a really good Communists restaurant. So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: The the towers themselves, you know, just a little background. They were mostly built between the twelfth and the thirteenth century. There were in total, the estimation because it's not really known because while we do have a lot of people being like, wow, they got these really tall towers, none of them really say what they were exactly for or you know, any like they don't they don't include like any info. Like that's why like it's like was it a prison, was it a shop? Was it residential? Was it for defense? And the defense thing is exactly what Eleanor said, because everybody goes like, if you like, if something takes out a small chunk of the bottom of that, the whole thing could just lean over and fall like it's not that, you know, it's not that it's not that sturdy. And I mean, like some of they range in height from like thirty nine meters to ninety seven meters is about one hundred and five feet to three hundred and thirteen feet, And I mean, I think the way that the reason that this was such a big deal is like you don't see many of these things at all. The ones in Bologna were apparently quite beautiful. There are there's called some called the two towers, which are known as Azanelli and Garrisinda.
Speaker 1: And they are like right next to each other. It's really fucking weird.
Speaker 2: So they they are right next to each other, both appear to be leaning to some degrees. Yes they do, and they lean in different directions. Garrison, the top of Garrisenda is missing. But if you remember, uh the inferno, and you remember the ring of giants that guarded the hole down into it's either the eighth or ninth circle. I can't remember now where Antaeus and Nimrod and all those are. Dante says uh he. He compares their height to the height of Garrisinda before its top got knocked off. And so.
Speaker 1: Like you know, you remember these are basically just.
Speaker 2: Like the tallest like you know, these the tallest things these people you know, would have probably would have seen, like they just like they're just incredibly impressive, and they don't they look out of sorts. I'll probably include, Uh, there's a pretty good engraving of what it might have looked like at the time, and uh, it does kind of like it looks so weird because it has castle walls, but then you have these things in there that look like skyscrapers and you're like, what the fuck? And then you think about how many stairs would I have to climb to get up here, like oh so many? Oh god, this is yeah, I don't want to do this.
Speaker 1: I mean it literally also just might be there living in an environment where space is at a premium, and like it's just like true density for a household like that. Can that's like also in theory on the cards. But it's just it's such a it's a really interesting one because we just don't fucking know man, like yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Olie and MG, thank you very much for the questions about the medieval tower blocks of Bologna.
Speaker 3: Fact.
Speaker 2: I love to talk about so weird. I love I love how weird the Middle Ages are because you just have these things and they're beautiful and people talk about them all the time. But like if you if you try to nail down exactly, like what was the purpose of this? Literally every person for the past, like I don't know, six hundred years been like bah yeah anyway, uh yeah. So thank y'all for the questions. Next, we got one from Bachanoia Lover sixty nine, who says, hi, a huge fan of the show. I have a question about the relationship between the literature and reality of extramarital affairs in medieval In the medieval world, as has been off remarked on the podcast, the medieval world loves to get their cuck on. But I'm curious how you actually properly cucked your liege lord in a world where your every moment as a noble was waited upon by servants a part of the fantasy of court. They love literature having fifteen minutes of privacy. Are the servants just in on it? As an attached question, what does this decision making calculus look like for a servant whose lead is stepping out in the marriage? What risk do you run for keeping your mouth shut versus speaking up. Is there an implied obligation to secrecy, et cetera.
Speaker 1: I think, as we demonstrated in our de Cameron reading club, for a lot of the thing that you got to do is you've got to get the servants on side. You have got to get the fucking servants on side, because they're going to be the ones who do things like pass notes, and they are going to be also indispensable in terms of like letting people in and out of places. Yeah, so like opening doors, like doing this, like covering up for you, sounding the alarm, et cetera. And it is possible because people do be going places in doing things. The wealthy often have their own bedrooms and things like that, and people are moving around a lot, so there are a lot of moving parts that it is in theory possible. Like are you going to get a whole night together? Probably not unless, like your liege lord is one hundred percent out of town. But these motherfuckers also go on campaign. You know, if you are especially high up, the king might send you somewhere and then you're just away and then it's like a free for all, super easy to cook then, And I mean I guess that this is just kind of like one of those lessons about like who's being nice to the servants. That's a big one. Like so I mean obviously you're gonna probably have to pay them off, like money is going to have to change hands, but like if you beat your servants or you're horrible to them, then they're gonna be a lot more likely to like help you get cooked. I would just say yeah for example, So yeah, yeah, it is one of these things where like a household as much for a broad but also because culturally it's just more understood as like on the cards. It's more understood as on the cards.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I also think there could be not could be. I would bet a solid amount of money that there is like a part of part of the stories that we have and part of the obsession with it or whatever is that it is titillating and it is wrong, and it is something that like most people like you know, it would it would be difficult to find yourself in that scenario. Like even if you are a very wealthy noble, it might it's it still might be extremely difficult if you live, depending on where you live and you know, any other circumstances of your life. So like you get that and it's something and it's like oh okay, like this is you know, like this is you. It's like roleplay. You know. Yeah, well we called roleplay now like a version of that. I'm not saying that that was all it was, but you know.
Speaker 1: It's in there. It's in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think I don't. We know, people have liked to dress up for a while. As Eleanor said, if you go back to the de Cameron, there were a couple of incidents of dress up and so you know, why wouldn't this be another version of that?
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, exactly to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you very much for the question. Baccan Oli, lover of sixty nine. Next we got one from a grinch pinball. Having failed my dry January. Are there any fun, funny, effective, or downright dangerous medieval hangover cures without the modern miracle of paracetamol. How did they cope? Or did they just hair of the dog?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 1: Uh? Well, so, in first place, me and all my homies we hate dry january, just the anti dry January action. Your pub needs you more in January than ever. And also it's this is what separates the true professional drinkers from the fucking amateurs. You know what, Like the amateurs are doing things like they're going too hard in December. You need to slow down, babe. You need to go for dinner before you go to the pub after work in December. You need to just like keep your fucking powder dry. Because January is when legends are born. Okay, right, Like you know your your January drinking form is really you at your best. So I'm glad you failed because it, you know, that means that you're doing the right thing. Dry January is for perverts and sickos and also amateurs. Anyway, I learned a really good hangover here the other day from this new book Celtic Magic, where they were like, yeah, you take a chicken and you chop its head off and then you put its anus on your foe head and it'll suck the hangover out. I mean, do I think that worked?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: But it was proffered.
Speaker 2: As chicken ain't it's I gotta be honest that that makes about as much sense as some of the hangover cures that people have now. They're like, oh I do this and this and this. It's like just drink a bunch of water, get some caffeine in your or gatorade or pedia like, get some like get some liquids float in your body. Get get some carbs of some kind in there to soak up the last stuff and you know, nurse the headache and you'll be fine at some point. Like it's you know, it's just a it's just it's just.
Speaker 1: A Yeah, Anthony Boardings is like something spicy in a coke, which I think is correct. But I mean like they also have so they have willow bark, which is basically like proto aspirin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's an.
Speaker 1: So they will do that. But then also like they are drinking small beer all the time, so that probably helps, yeah as well, So like when you're hungover, you can hit the small beer. It's gonna have just teeny bit of alcohol on you. And so that like a hair of the dog, is it, but in like a pretty chilled out way. But I mean they're probably just gonna be on the petage uh and and small beer for for the most part. But on the other hand, we do see a desire. But like some people want answers around here, you know, people are demanding hangover heres.
Speaker 2: There's a guy who's like, let me let me at that uh chickens, let me hit that chicken an. Let me don't worry, I got thist me at the perpetual There's one guy who just swears by the perpetual stew. He's like, I'll no better if I just get some perpetual stew. Look that's all you ever want? Bill fuck? Oh yeah, willow bark. That's great, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got to hit the willow bark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you gotta hit the.
Speaker 1: You've been there, you.
Speaker 2: Know, the day after a really rowdy festival in the town and you just see all these people walking around with like bark, like out of their earth.
Speaker 1: Just gnawing on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, yes sucks. Oh yeah, grinch Pinball. Thank you very much for the question. And the podcast does, of course support people who are trying to quit drinking because they need to.
Speaker 1: I'm we are pro. We are pro are sober homies. Yes, I want to make that clear, like a shout out to all of the sober homies and those trying to get sober. Well, we do not like that efforts. Yeah, who plan to keep drinking, like who give up in January?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. I don't do it. Uh yeah, it's yeah. If if that's something you need to do, then uh, you know, definitely do that for your health. But if it's just something you know, you know, like an Instagram thing or people are just uh, you know, they're talking about it a lot.
Speaker 1: No, No, listen, there's no there are no actual benefits to giving up drinking if you go back to drinking, that's that's the point. There are tons of benefits to just giving up drinking altogether, but fundamentally, if you ever plan going back, there is no benefit. So so and you know, and I'll tell everyone that to their face every January.
Speaker 2: That's right. So that's right there you go, grunt Pinball, Thank you very much for the question. Uh. Next, we got one from Benjamin Cisco, who says, how old is the Gregorian chant? How far back does it go? Or is this particular sum more recent than we were led to believe? Now, it's pretty old, man, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It is, like uh like so basically monks chanting. It goes back a really long time. But we definitely know that it kind of develops from at least like the ninth century. And we know that because we have manny scripts for it, yep.
Speaker 2: Right, So the earliest, the earliest version with musical notes attached to it that survives is from about nine thirty CE, So yeah, like it, it had to have happened, you know, in the few hundred years before that, at least for them to get it to a point where it could have musical notation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's right. So we know what's happening before that, because you know, it doesn't just kind of spring fully formed from the head of Zeus. You know, we know that before Gregorian chant, there was Roman chant, which is slightly different, but that's kind of like a part of like the Latin rite, and so Gregorian's kind of like decided they needed their own version, which is cool, and it is a little bit more influenced by Gallic chad. So yeah, basically we know that it is around at least from the ninth century, just based on what Maddy scripts we have and how reception of these things work. So it had to have been around long enough for them to then develop the notation system and that write it down.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And it was known as Gregorian back in the Middle Ages, and they had their own myth for a pop likely myth though, I mean I guess possibly possibly true to some degree that either came from Pope Gregory the First who died in six oh four, or Pope Gregory the Second who died in seven fifty one, because they had asked for psalter type books uh to be produced to to to kind of do this stuff, and so it's it's attributed to them, But you know, that could have been a myth or just you know, uh an urban I guess, not a a oral legend at the time.
Speaker 1: Like greg Gregory the Great, everyone's obsessed with him. So like if you just say, oh, yeah, this has to do with Gregory the Great, everyone's like, oh, so, yeah, it's one of those things.
Speaker 2: Right yeah. And I mean plain chant has been around for a very long time. There is the they're they're surviving uh manuscripts and instances that talk about the early early Jewish groups in the first and second century BCE chanting psalm chanting some of the psalms in a version of plain chant, and it's believed that this might have developed from that, along with the Roman chant and other versions. You know, as we've talked about before, there are you know, many kinds of monophonic chants across across the ancient and medieval worlds. But yeah, it's been around since at least the ninth at least the ninth century, probably a little earlier than that too, just to get it to musical notation. But yeah, it's you know, it's a thing they did in the Middle Ages, and they did call it their gregory. They didn't call it gregory, and I don't know if they called it a chant, but they definitely named it after after one of the Gregoris. So yeah, Benjamincisco, thank you very much for the question. Next we got one from the final vow who says, I have a question about sex ed, both for peasants and nobility. Besides having a vague understanding of what sex is, was anyone teaching children adolescents about the birds and the bees, the storks, the cabbage, and whatever local euphemisms there are? Occasionally I hear about noble and politically important marriages that don't produce an air, with the wife being under pressure about it, only to later find out that there was no sex happening to begin with. That seems ridiculous. Why would someone whose sole entire purposes the production of an air not be told the basics of how to do that to begin with? Or is that just a modern thing being projected back?
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so to an extent, this is a modern thing being projected back. Like quite famously, this is one of the rumors about Marie Antoinette. Yeah, was that she didn't know, which is why it took her so long to produce airs, you know. And indeed Louis the seventeenth I think was her husband. All Louise sounded alike to me. Sixteen, yeah, sixteenth. There you go. They they didn't know what the fuck they were doing. But that is like quite modern. So you know, ideas about sex have really changed by them in terms of peasants and things like that. One of the big things that is really different is you live on a farm, so you see animals fucking constantly. Yeah, like, and this is a world where you know, you don't for example, even Spain new to your dogs and cats. Occasionally you will geld pigs or horses, but you're gelding pigs and horses so that you can make them bigger and so that they don't fuck. And even then you they're they're gonna be like, why is daddy chopping the horse's balls off? Yeah, right, so you're seeing a lot more animals have sex, So like it's gonna get explained to you like that real quick, right, just because of how how things work. You're just gonna be like, yep, that's how babies are born, and you're gonna see baby things being born all the time. There's a fucking lambing season, right.
Speaker 2: Like you're going to help or see probably if there's any livestock around you, you are going to bear witness to the beauty and horror of nature, like.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. And it's quite likely as well that at some time in your life, if you survive, you're going to see your mother get pregnant and like you know, she's going to give birth in your house, right, like.
Speaker 2: You might have you might have heard her get pregnant. Yeah, trying to be weird.
Speaker 1: But but it's true. And that's and that's the other thing. They don't have the same forms of privacy as we do. A lot of times people are sleeping in the same room. Do they have curtains around their beds? Yeah they do, but you know, people.
Speaker 2: Curtains stop everything.
Speaker 1: Not the way I'm doing my thing, not the way.
Speaker 2: Anybody throughout history has been doing their thing. Even if you like, even if you're like as quiet as possible, you know, you're still gonna hear a little. You're still gonna hear the slap a little. I don't know what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what to tell you, dog, Like that's just how it is. So that is going to be a little bit more of a thing, Like, you know, peasants are just going to know more. And indeed we do see this in terms of like criticisms of the peasantry. So for example, in when we you read Deane Moray or The Art of Courtly Love, you know, one of the things that they say is like, oh, yeah, well peasants are incapable of love, and they run like the beasts of the field, right they you know, so they're they're just like they're they're kind of like a form of livestock such cope.
Speaker 2: They're like they'll.
Speaker 1: Never know what it's like to try to cook their master or whatever the fuck. So like, yeah, that is that is like a big thing that's going on now. Four four the average noble person, they are more likely to receive an actual education, if we're if we're being honest, because it's like, uh, it is like one of these things where they are just educated in a lot of things. So they're the ones who are going to be like reading Aristotle about this, you know, They're gonna be the ones that are like getting a kind of a Gaalenic education about whatever the fuck this means. And that makes a big difference. So yeah, I just don't think I don't think that it's really all the cards in terms of the medieval world.
Speaker 2: The whole oh we.
Speaker 1: Didn't know what sex was, because it's just like it's just a really different world. You've got to invent privacy in bedrooms and all these other things hallways, you know, you know, in order for for like you'd have absolutely no contact with the concept of sex, like unless you're growth, you are a novice monk or nune and even then you know they're fucking each other.
Speaker 2: So like yeah, yeah, I mean yeah, it's uh And I mean, look, you I'm not saying that that the parents are gonna like sit down and be like as open and forthright and sex positive as as we like to to be now or we like to think we are or whatever. But like a decent even a decent parent is going to be like, look, what you got to expect, like and especially like for like a mom, like this is what you got to expect, like this, like you know, this is childbirth is terrible, is beautiful and terrible and and your body's gonna you know, and and you you know, And I don't think that people didn't have those conversations in the past. That doesn't seem Uh, that doesn't seem sane to me, because even even the most prudish people like you know, if you if you love and and want to look out for your kids, having them understand the broad basics of this thing that it, you know, that can bring you so much happiness and can you know, also be forced upon you, you know, against your will. Uh. You know, I think that is is just part of good parenting, you know. And I mean so maybe they were having the birds and the bees conversation, but that just doesn't you know, they it didn't it didn't ever become enough of a problem that the church was like, stop it, stop telling them how to fuck, stop doing the finger, stop doing the finger and the circle finger thing. Stop it.
Speaker 1: No Nope, bad dogs dogs Uh yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, final val, Yeah, thank you very much for the question.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Next, we got one from gafsei. Uh, this is super broad, kind of loaded, but I'm curious how Islam was able to basically bootstrap an entirely new civilization that scaled from city state to world empire in a matter of decades, not in terms of conquest of conquest, but in terms of creating or adapting law, administration, culture while drawing on various sources. How did they do that and turn it into its own thing?
Speaker 1: I mean, this is a good question because it's like it's difficult to actually say, I guess, is the problem that we've got here where like how do cultural things trickle down exactly hard because they don't generally say to us, yeah, like like this is this is how we're seeing it. Like, I mean, I guess that one of the big things that they managed to do is at first they're not trying to do a new civilization, right. I think that that's kind of like the things of like eventually adapting law, Like the adaptation of laws, what's the most important thing, right, Because they're basically coming out, they're doing some guerrilla warfare, they're taking over varying cities and then the city and they're like, oh, yeah, we control the city now, and then everyone goes, do I need to do anything? And they're like no, not really right, And I mean basically, you know, my argument is that the the major thing that they've done within all of this is just the Jizia. Yep, really, because it's like with the jizia, ain't nobody wants to fucking like a deal like they are are like, okay, well, you know, new people took over my town. Well whatever, it didn't change my life that much, and it's like, oh what, you know what might change your fucking life not having to pay tax anymore because you've accepted the light of Islam, right, And so it's more kind of like pan Islamic. I mean, like I guess in terms of like, yeah, then they don't want to make pictures of things anymore. So like horror vacuie as an artistic style is invented, right, which is that and that's cool? We like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So yeah, yeah, I think yeah, I think a big thing and I mean we'll talk about it when we talk about medieval Iran, but I think a big part of this is that especially early on, the Muslims, they took whatever administration was there, and even when they got even in the six fifties when they got to Persia and the Iranian Plateau, they did it like the vestiges of I came in in rule and the administration that they had set up were still kind of in place because they had been held over by the successors of Alexander the Gray blah blah blah blah blah. But they were able to do They were able to use the systems in place to take these people over from the top. They had to, of course win military victories first, and there were you know, campaigns of pressure to you know, like the soft pressure of like the not having to pay the jiju to to convert and the soft pressure of of you know, wanting to ingratiate yourself more to the people in power. Uh. Those are both very big deals. So you let that do the work over time. But I mean, like, uh, the the one of the first commanders of the arrate. Uh, the one of the first commanders who was dealing with the uh Islamization of Iran was umar Ibin al Katab and he was like his whole thing. There are surviving letters that he wrote. He was like, look, don't like, don't go so hard on basically like you you shear the sheep, you can only skin it once. So don't you know, don't skin these people. Don't like, uh, help out, help out the week, you know, but don't just like retain your title and your command. But you know, help these people. And if they want to convert, that's great, But at the beginning they didn't do. There are very few, if any, legitimate records of forest conversion because the jiju ameliorate, and you know, it ameliorates that you want a lot of a lot of people, you know, who aren't who aren't dimmy, you know, the protected you know, Muslim citizens you want like you want that. And so they were able to just glom onto that. And as they came in and they built mosque and their military power was there, they could just take over. And some of the places they went to were like you know what fine, like you know, it's this place is disunited. At this point, the Selki kids, you know, falling apart, the Sasanians are falling apart, like it's it's just you just go in there and you just and you you have a light hand about it now. I mean they did force Zoroastrianism out, but are not out. But they they forced it to the margins. But like they didn't fully eradicate it. They didn't for a long time. They they weren't bent on just completely destroying Zoroastrianism as more as it was just like it's going to get thrown out as like a as a consequence of what we do, because you know, they're they're the non believers. And I mean at the beginning, they they let they let captured Zoroastrianism who were captured as slaves. They they freed them if they converted to Islam, Like you know, that's not you don't do that if you're if you're doing like an actual like genocidal or cultural genocidal thing. So yeah, I mean I think it was they The way they bootstrapped it was they pounced on existing government state apparatuses that existed and use those to springboard to power. And they had the military might. And once they had the military might and they set up their rule. As they did it, people just started coming to the faith. I mean, of course they did some of that by the sword. I'm not lessening any of that, but from an administrative perspective, I think that's the only way they could have done it, because it's not like they were calling back on It's not like they could call on an administrative framework that had been around for a few centuries. You know, Muhammad died in it was six point thirty two like something like that, you know, and this is six fifty one, nineteen years later, you know, so it's yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Like I mean, I think we have a tendency now to look back in time and say, okay, well there is like this completed project of Islamic culture, like Capital I, Capital C. But that's kind of an anacrotism because what we're doing is we're we're looking at what that is now and we're saying, oh, and here are the hallmarks up it. I think that it's actually a project over a series of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, were they were able to take political marshal and legitimate control.
Speaker 1: But certainly, like.
Speaker 2: When we taught we look at the Zoroastrians now and there are less than two hundred thousand of them worldwide, But like the Zoroastrians in on the Iranian Plateau weren't really like annihilated to like the tiny fragment we know of now until like the eleventh or twelfth century like, so it's not like they didn't just do that, you know, just to start out with. It was a long process. It took forever. Yeah, Gaffzie, thank you for the question. We got a couple more. First is one that I just found incredibly Zany from Pearl River, who says I was reading cod by Mark Kurlansky, and it opens with an idea that the Basque knew that the Americas were there before Columbus, given their long journeys into the Atlantic, which brought them into contact with North American currents and fisheries, if not the continent itself. How likely is this given that I've never seen any evidence of it before we go on. The Basque are a Spanish people's from the from Iberia and parts of southern France, and they are in central and northern Spain. Some of them are along the coast. But to be clear, if you want to go this far, you have to cross the widest part of the Atlantic. Uh. Weird. Look with with pre with pre caravel boat technology and uh, I'm not saying it was totally completely impossible, but I am saying that, yeah, it's un based on what based on what we know.
Speaker 1: It was like, yeah, look, you know, having just come back from an island in the middle of the Atlantic, missen homie, I don't really think so. So we have some weird evidence that people have got to the Azores from kind of early on in that they found like mouse skeletons on the island and mice and mice aren't native there and the but the my skeletons seem to have DNA that is possibly from northern Europe or Scandinavia. And then so some people have argued that means that the Vikings made it out there, but then other people pointed out that like mice just be getting places. So it's just like a mouse could have been on a Viking ship and then gone off and got on another ship and then ended up in the Azores. Right, we know that from at least the fourteenth century, the Azores are mapped. They show up in the mediit Atalysts and then of course the Catalan Atlas. But also, you know, like this idea that you know, the enemy of the podcast Columbus like discovered the Americas, or that nobody knew that they were there, isn't exactly correct either, right, Like as is you know, I'm sure all listeners of the show know that nobody thought the world was flat, but people had a good idea that there was probably something else over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they like they had they had suggested it. Ancient Greeks, I can't remember which one off the top of my head right now, posited other continents on the other side of the Big Ocean from them. Yeah, but I mean, like the Azores are, Yeah, they weren't settled until like fourteen thirty two. Like, yeah, they take them that long to get to the Azores and those are technically off the coast of the European peninsula, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and like I mean, so here, here's the thing is, like, you know, we'd travels. Everybody knew that the Vikings made it to Labrador, yeah, and shit, like and they they knew, they knew there was something over there. But also, like, I don't know, the idea that the Basque like had had a unique knowledge seems weird to me, even though I love our good comrades the Basque, who should be free from the oppressive yoke of Spain obviously, but like it just doesn't really line up with what we know about movement at the time. So yeah, like it's people knew that there was likely some land out there, they knew the Vikings had got somewhere, and they couldn't They just kind of couldn't get there. So all of that is true. But like specifically linking this up with Basque miss is an odd one to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't. I mean, I don't know, I just don't. There's nothing that has ever suggested that they could that the boating technology as it existed, that the boating technology of the time would have allowed someone before the like fourteen eighties or so to really make the entire trip across the Atlantic, because the Atlantic is not terribly calm, especially the North like any any North Atlantic stuff is. The weather is not great. It's like the current it's just a rough it's just a rough road to hoe. And they don't and I mean, if it took it till fourteen thirty two to get to the Azores, like it's just not like, I don't see how sense. Yeah yeah, And I mean people we're talking about this when the question was asked in the Discord and found like an old article from the New York Times in nineteen twenty seven that said that they you know, it was suggesting that they had the Basque had discovered codfish in America long before like Columbus or something like that. And I have no fucking idea how you arrive at that conclusion.
Speaker 1: But I mean, like, I mean, maybe cod, but I'm not quite sure, Like maybe they're just like some wandering cod you know, yeah, they do be getting around, right, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would I would have to do or research on that, but I just can't think of a plausible way in which that expanse could be covered given what we know. Because again, the you know, we've talked many times about the Pacific Islanders and their ships could could cover such long distances based on how they built them and everything like that, and then comparing that to the Vikings, who were very prodigious sailors, and they were of course very hardy and were very good at what they did, but like they still had to to island, jump from you know, from Norway into the British Islands and everything around there, and then to Iceland and then to Greenland and then they finally humped over jumped over to Newfoundland for a little while, and it was you know, they had to do that because they didn't have the same ship technology at the time, So you know, I just don't Yeah, I don't see how you accomplish it without that.
Speaker 1: And like, look, it's it's an interesting theory. I would need to see like way more on it, because it's just at this point it doesn't it doesn't quite line up with the information that we have, is what I would say about it. I'm not saying that it is impossible. I'm saying it is unlikely, and that given what we do know about settlement within the Atlantic and spheres of influence and ship technology, I just don't think. But and there's a difference between people knowing there's land over there, which everybody does, right like, and I think that is important to talk about because I think that the way that we relate to you know, ideas of conquest and you know, colonization and things like that are incredibly problematic. Like acting as though fucking christic for Columbus did anything good ever in his life is a real issue. But having said that, that's that's not quite the same thing.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, yeah, I mean, yeah, columb was a Columbus was a fine sailor like that, Like he you don't you can't cross the Atlantic like that and not be at least pretty good at it. But he was like a demonic and awful person. He was like terrible at basically everything else he tried. He was a slaver, you know, all all the stuff. But you know, like it at some point the technology comes into like the hands of new people and then they you use it how how you know it gets used And that's just that, you know, that historical happenstance. So yeah, he's just you know, I just don't see how you're doing it without the technology. But uh, yeah, I guess it all means on what what all of this?
Speaker 1: I guess hinges on what we mean by no. Yeah, that's you know, something is somewhere, that's all.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I I'll say this, if we did find evidence of it, I'd be very happy about it. Anything to like cut Columbus down even more is funny and be funny.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think that someone would have written it down too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think someone would have written it down, and I think it would be a much more well known thing because like even though the Viking settlement isn't quite as is definitely not as well known as Columbus, Like it's still out there in like the general milieu. It's not just tied into like extreme academic circles or anything like that. Anyway. Yeah, Pearl River, thank you for the question. Last one for today from vast and trunkless Tosies. How were medieval conceptions of property different from modern mons and how did they change over time? Or put it more crudely, today we think of property is a right that the state enforces with its monopoly on violence. Who is doing that if there's no police?
Speaker 1: Okay, so the courts do it. And so this is the vast majority of medieval documents that survived to us outside religious ones are motherfucking charters yep, and to me is just charter town. There are, like I mean, within medieval studies, there are all sorts of people who they just do charters, and God bless them for the work they're doing. I do not give a shit. I'm glad they're having a nice time. I'm not saying that it isn't important. I'm just saying I will never do that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, their studies were incredibly important to us when we were doing the land management series. You get a lot of that info about like this is where the ponds were, and this is you know, this is what they were complaining about to each other. But yeah, it's a painstaking, meticulous work to say the very least. Yeah, And like.
Speaker 1: So really when we talk about court in the medieval period, you know, now, when we think about courts of law, we tend to think about them as being like specifically legal for the enforcement of law in terms of like criminality. But in a medieval sense, courts existed to enforce charters, like to enforce property law. That's all they are there for. Like, the only thing that they are fucking there for really is is the legal things. Because you know, if you are found guilty of a crime, then usually it just like kind of gets taken care of. Like yeah, you might get two set before a court, but that's not the major thing they're doing. And you have to produce your charters. There will be a bunch of arguments about that. There are like acute things that people will have in order to kind of show that a charter is real. Like sometimes they will make a parchment and then cut it in a particular style so that the two halves of it have to bind together, so that everybody knows that they're that they've got the right part of it. But it's interesting because it's just like exactly the opposite to now where it's like now we're like, oh, you go to a court because you know, you stole something, and also they enforce law. Medival people are like, you go to the court to enforce your property lines. Yeah, and that and that that's what it is, that's what it's there for. So yeah, and you just do it because obviously this is the sort of things like this is the people who have the monopoly on violence are the ones with the property mm hmm. So like you don't need cops because this is all a bunch of nobles that they are. They are all the cops.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, yeah, it's the state. So it's been said that, you know, there's no history of the state that is not also a history of violence or something like that. And you know, that's not to say that that states inevitably create violence every at all times, regardless, but it is to say that wherever there's a state, somebody has had a monopoly of violence over someone else, and that takes on different forms, whether that's the tribal leader with his thugs, whether that's a king with his arm me, whether that is you know, an emperor with a with a coterie of of officials who were you know, just putting out decrees for their satraps to do or whatever. Like, the state has always had a monopoly of violence and has always enforced uh itself in that way. And I mean, you know they that that's been happening for thousands on thousands and thousands of years, probably before we technically got civilization together. As we understand it, there was probably some monopoly of violence for like tribal leaders of some kind, but like, you know, none of if the king didn't have some kind of power to enforce these edicts that these people have agreed to or whatever mechanisms they've been agreed, then they wouldn't be the king. Someone else would step in and do it, or if the name didn't hold enough power or something like that, because I mean they're like there's always a scheming vizier, there's always a grasping noble, there's always a you know whatever who can probably pay enough people or mercenaries to you know, do whatever they want. But can they pay enough mercenaries that they'll have more than the king's personal cavalry guard and archers and the armies or you know, the retainers that are loyal to him. I mean, you know, probably for most people, probably not, because in order to do that for a state of any size, you need to be able to play thousands upon thousands upon thousands of people you know of mercenaries or you know, whoever, and you just don't have even even if like for for William the Conqueror to do it, like he was only able to do this because he was from a unique warrior culture and they were looking to expand. He came over and he had you know, six to eight thousand like hardy like soldiers around him that were gathered to him through different you know, bonds and their relationships have been cultivated, and I mean he did pull some more people when he came over here to his side, but like that's what you have to have if you're going to do that, and and the number that you need only continues to grow the more, like the longer you go on. That's why like revolutions, when you study them, they never happen overnight because like even if everybody in the country is really frustrated with something there has to be stuff that like that melds the people together and they come together to understand, like we have to fight this for like X, Y and Z reasons instead of like, well, we're just a bunch of separate people. Like it takes a lot of effort to be able to take down an entrenched state. That's why, you know, that's what the entropy of empire is, interpute monarchy, the entropy of capitalism. And yeah, but I mean they they did. They did have different ideas of property to certain extents, but like the enclosure process and the primitive accumulation of capital, those things have been happening for eons, Like even though it took until the High Middle Ages for it to really start to get going in places like England and stuff. I mean, China privatized a lot of their land two hundred years before Jesus was born, Like you know, it's just like it's it was a different it was, it was it wasn't a full privatization, but they still did it. Like it's the problem. The thing about Marx, and the thing that Marx was right about is that the problem is the way that we treat property as this inalienable thing that has this like right, and the person who happens to own it at this time as long as they have a long as they have enough of a connection to the monopoly of violence to defend that right, that's the fucking problem because like you know, even when two people are fighting over a boundary line and it's going to move like a foot in one direction or the other, like, that's still using this system to decide what property is what. And and you know why why you can like court an off property and tell people that they cannot come on it for any reason, even if they need it to you know, survive. Like we talked about when the forestry episode, like if you're going to go into the forest, like you know, and they cut the peasants off from that. So, I mean that's you know, we've never fully undone the primitive accumulation of power. We've never fully undone, uh, the systems that have been piling on top of each other from you know, uh since since civilization began and since we uh, since class was delineated between people. Whenever you want to say that that actually happened, Yeah, we've never done that. And that's the thing about communism and socialism. That's why it's hard, That's why it's it's an insane thing.
Speaker 1: We're fighting against a lot of very entrenched ideas from the rule in class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and not to like excuse people, but like to be completely honest, that's like why it's so difficult for a lot of people to accept commune, like to accept these things, even if they see everything is wrong and they completely agree with you. And that capitalism is just a fucking like endless hell disaster, a horror show like that that only grinds people to dust. That's all we've ever known. That's all we've ever known. And when you're talking about this stuff you're talking about like the elimination of borders and like the destruction of these things that have been around since summer, like you know, and yeah, that fucking terrifies people. And yeah, I mean I wish it didn't, but like you get why it does. Like it's like, yeah, well.
Speaker 1: It's like a better the double you know situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean so that's basically it. Like, you know, if there's a state, somebody has a monopoly of force of some kind, and if there is private property, meaning you know, uh, you know private land private Uh you know.
Speaker 1: We differentiat here between private property and personal property.
Speaker 2: Obviously personal properties, yeah, the stuff like it's basically the movable stuff that you own that like you can like you know, like your uh you know, your book, so you're you know, your phone and all that sort of stuff. And and that's different from from private property, which is like where we have privatized like the actual ownership of parcels of land and you know, trespassing blah blah blah. Yeah anyway, yeah, uh, Aston Trunkle was Tozy's thank you for the question. I do wish that we had a better, more cheery answer for you, but unfortunately, uh yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Not yet, comrade, not yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well we'll get there, though, we will. We will get there. Inchila, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Uh, that's going to do it for us today, folks, Thank you very much for listening. As I said, next time we will be back. We're going to talk a little bit about uh pre modern Iran. We're going to uh probably kind of start with the Achaemenids because it's very interesting and uh yeah, why the hell not, and then we'll talk a little bit about the rest of it. It'll probably be a couple episodes. Uh, but yeah, we'll we'll see. Iran is very interesting and uh, as we're going to see has actually had a line of kings that stretch for longer than the line of emperors that had so that is pretty fucking crazy, but we will Even even though Arama was of course ruled by various other states during that time, they still had their own kings. Anyway, Yeah, check that out. That'll be coming next week, eleanor what what you got going on?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't even fucking know anymore. Dog, Mostly I've just been writing at the middle, which is at the middle at the moment, which is probably a good thing. Uh So yeah, like that's what's up. Oh, if you want, I forced them at work to let me do an entire episode about the avenue on papacy over at Golm Medieval.
Speaker 2: So nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like that's what happens when Trump mentions it. I was like, ho, so, yeah, you're gonna go check that out if you want to hear more of my bullshit.
Speaker 2: Otherwise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like I've got a bunch of things that in the work that haven't quite come up. Yeah, so I'll let you know when it's out, but otherwise, you know, I'm on the socials at Going Medieval, in particular on bluesky Dot app. I'm over there yelling about British politics at the moment. That's mostly what's up.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: You can find me a people's history of the Old Republic. If you want to hear my old show where I yap about Star Wars. You can find me on the socials. Luke is amazing. I try to hit both of them, but I don't always do. It depends on the day and how annoyed I am at various things. But anyway, yeah, thank you all very much for listening, and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: Bye. Keep a sloppy I don't keep doing it.