Speaker 1: Where'd you grew up New York?
Speaker 2: I grew up in New York.
Speaker 1: I grew up from Williamsburg.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Williamsburg is actually a section of Brooklyn. Just whether Whitnimsburg Bridge enters Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: It's the only thing that's not afraid to enter Brooklyn. Welcome to this special Happy Birthday mel Brooks episode of Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. With mel Brooks becoming a centenarian, it's the perfect time for a retrospective. I'm Jonathan Friedman, and I'm Joey Angelfield. Producer engineer Mike Tomren is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of a Dot Javareem Congregation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Museum of the American West, and Atheist United Studios.
Speaker 2: To chat with Patrick mcgillian, a biographer and film historian whose books include Funny Man mel Brooks. Patrick, Welcome to Amusing Jews.
Speaker 3: Thank you for inviting me.
Speaker 2: So, Patrick, why mel Brooks, Well, the.
Speaker 3: Honest answer is the contract always. But I lived in la I used to see mel Brooks around at restaurants, I was on the set of History of the World. He was a good At the time that I chose him, I thought he was a really good subject. There was one book about him that was a smaller book, and it was pretty good, but I thought there was a better story, more deeper story behind his great success and his great comedy brand.
Speaker 1: Speaking of a deeper story, your book is very expansive, with six hundred and fifty pages, somewhere in that ballpark, and you do a good job of showing the two sides of mel Brooks. Right there's the charming, endearing, antique, lovable mel Brooks, and there's also the controlling, insecure, even angry mel Brooks.
Speaker 3: I didn't know very much starting out, but you know, having met him and having paid some attention, and you know this, some of his comedy is very, let's say, adamant. He's sometimes angry, but certainly the seeds of this comedy are angry and usually I wrote a book about Clint Eastwood, and I think my entire pitch was behind a guy who plays such a you know, hard tough guy on the screen has to be a guy who's hard and tough, you know, in private, or he's the greatest actor of all time. And so I went back into Melic's boyhood in his professional life to see that there was a lot of There was a lot of disappointment, failure, seeds of anger controlling everything that you said. And I think for me what was turned out to be really interesting, which I hadn't anticipated at all. It was there was a whole struggle to define himself as a writer and to be a writer, and to do that he often had to control writers and have secret collaborators. I think he's a great editor of writers. You put him in a room with three writers, He's going to choose the best joke. But that's in a way that was that was part of his neurosis, if that's the right word. That you know, he was acclaimed early on as a writer, and he was more of a joke smith, a guy who could come up with jokes, and he had to learn to be a writer. And he was surrounded by great writers and famous writers on staffs where he worked, and that made him insecure and to a certain extent that made him angry, you know, not at them, you know at himself.
Speaker 1: I know with the writer's room on Sid Caesar's shows, he was known more as a talker, right, he would kind of like shout people down and that sort of thing. I don't know if he wrote anything down on paper.
Speaker 3: He had struck up a friendship with Sid Caesar after World War Two and since Or was surging into fame, and Sid Caesar, to his credit, recognize this guy as a great joke teller at a great quick wit, you know, and brash, brash wit. And he hired him as kind of his personal joke teller and started bringing him to you know, writing meetings and sometimes against the opposition and to the consternation of the you know, highly paid professional writers there. And but Mel you know, immediately started making contributions. Sometimes he had to stick his foot in the door and bargin, you know, in order to scream out his jokes. But later on he's on staff with you know, Larry Galbart, Carl Reiner, Woody Allen. Eventually these are consummate writers besides being consummate funny men. And by consummate writers, I mean they could sit down and write. You know, Mel had to for a while find somebody who would sit at the typewriter. You know, he wasn't even able to do that you know, and then all the way up through most of his career he has ghost writers, so that there's a ghostwriter behind the producers. The story is very fascinating. A lot of people in Hollywood knew it. There's you know, Gene Wilder is the writer of Young Frankenstein. Has many writers on blazing saddles with Mel controlling them and picking out what's best, and then he has writers all the way through the rest of his career. I'm not saying he didn't become a writer, or that you even have to sit down and type to be a writer, or that you even have to write to be a writer. You know, because Billy Wilder was kind of famous for in his collaborations for being the walker. It would be a walker and a sitter, a sitter would be typing, and you know, Mel would be the walker and there would be a sitter, but Billy Wilder could pretty much dictate, you know, the dialogue and the scene, and you know, the sitter was earning their money just typing and then pitching in and doing little bits here and there. And Mel was a he was a bit more at sea to be in with. And then it took him a long time and I mean you're talking about him being to some extent his comedy being fierce and adamant and angry. I think today, you know, especially verging on one hundred, you know, he's he's seen as a very cuddly tiger, you know, and a lot of that, a lot of that anger was taken away by success, sophistication, experience, etc.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I found really interesting as well looking through your book is that when mel isn't performing, it isn't like the mel Brooks character that we all know. His personality isn't quite as strong. Maybe it's almost vacant at times, kind of like since Caesar. Sid Caesar's reputation was that when he wasn't on, he almost had no personality at all.
Speaker 3: I wish I knew whether it was true of Sid Caesar, even though I met him, but it was much later in his career. But you know, Carl Reiner off camera was was gentlemanly and sweet and quick, you know, but never angry. But you know, you could hear mel shouting in the room, you know, at his staff and boss as staff as the boss, you know, as they're coming down to his room in the studio, you know, in the seventies and eighties, so he had a side in private that was very domineering as well charm more charming, but I wouldn't say more charming, because you know, part of his greatness, I think is that he took that likability and that charm that only Sid Caesar saw, you know, early on, and he gradually brought it into the room and onto the screen so that we see a guy on the screen who's in your face, you know, frequently, but it is very funny, which is a winning quality, and very charming, sometimes dapper, you know, and singing and you know, being you know, giving us his Frank Sinatra imitation inside. So I mean his I think his greatness as an entertainer is that he took that brand and all of the sort of complexity of it, and as you say, sometimes it was out of balance, you know, off screen or on screen, and he found a balance in most of his greatest work that people love as a brand. You know, he kept that whole idea of vaudeville, stick and kitch and bad puns and you know, fart noises and any kind of noise that gets a joke. You know, he took that from the twenties in the thirties when he grew up and when he loved it, you know, when it was dying, you know, and he took it off the screen from the people who were then really prominent in movies and on the stage, who were very well known entertainers. He loved that, you know, he loved that in a way, it's dumb comedy, you know. And he took that dumb comedy and he alone carried it into you know, the post sixties, and had carried alone for a while before he handed it over to you know, the next generation. Who who the judd apatous and uh, you know, the dumb and dumber people, and who took it farther and farther, you know, So it's no longer fart jokes. It's shit jokes. And but it's it's it's a Jewish tradition going way way back in vaudeville. In comedy. Uh, it's sometimes verbal quick wit, and sometimes it's very clever, clever, clever wordplay, and other times it's it's you know, uh, it's it's dumb jokes, you know. And sometimes it's slapstick and knock about, you know. And he's pretty good at slapstick and knock about comedy too. And he, you know, while Woody Allen is on you know, the East Coast in the seventies making Annie Hall and trying to be sophisticated and cosmopolitan and more deeply and deeply serious and bergmanesque, you know, Mel is honing his own little like you know, workshop of keeping this other tradition alive, which wood he knows and understands and loves, and so you know, he goes back to it in films like Broadway Danny Rose, which is you know, the kind of movie that Mel would love to have made, you know, whereas would he always would have loved to have made any movie that Mel made because they made him laugh, you know. And then he'd say that the greatest thing about Mel is that Mel loves his own movies, you know, and he loves his own work, and he loves himself, and the audience loved that about him. Wood he couldn't love his movies, you know, they were they were always imperfect. You know, they weren't as great as Igmar Bergmann or great as Felini, you know, his great, his great idols. But it didn't matter to Mel because he was not trying to perfect anything other than like a longstanding it to exist in a long standing tradition and do it the best he could.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting comparison because, you know, mel Brooks's movies are kind of big movies in that sort of over the top way, and Woody Allen's movies are small, and so in some ways we can understand why mel Brooks didn't make that many films and Woody Allan made perhaps too many films. But what you're saying is interesting that maybe Woody Allan kept making more films because he was never satisfied, whereas mel was very satisfied with his movies and wanted them to kind of have their own space.
Speaker 3: In some way, wood he's a writer. While we're having this podcast, wood he is writing something. Okay, it may never get published, produced, scene, it may not deserve any of those things, or it might, but he's a born writer. He's going to die a writer. You know. That was Mel's psychological you know thing, But it wasn't something that got him up in the morning and made him go back to work. Got him up in the morning, was wanting to go on top of the mountain and say my name is mel Brooks. And what he admires that, you know, even though that's not what he's doing at all. So I would say he always had trouble telling a story. That's why he needed writers. He could tell jokes, but telling a story, being a storyteller from beginning to end, that takes a writer. That's that was his that was his hang up. And I think there's a certain point in the early eighties or late seventies, depending on when you want to date it, where he just starts retelling the same story, the same jokes and the same stick and some movies are better and some movies are worse, but it kind of peters off. Then he goes back to Broadway and he tells the same story that he was telling in the movies, which isn't you know for him, as actually a kind of step higher because he always in love, was in love with the stage and Broadway. So to take his greatest works to Broadway and have them be one of the greatest, you know, among the greatest musical hits of all time, is another zenith, you know, for him. But I think you know, when you're doing Robin Hood and uh Dracula and uh you know, the movies towards the end of his career, some of which are good at times, very good. At times he's repeating ideas you know that we're on Sid Caesar that were sketches that he's now stretching out into a movie that's less exciting than the first time anyone sees something like The Producers, which is, you know, a very astonishing movie, or Blazing Saddles, which I think is for me is his masterpiece, or Young Frankenstein, which is a perfect movie. It too is a Sid Caesar sketch drawn out as a movie, but done by Gene Wilder because it was written by Gene Wilder. So and mel Co wrote it. Then you know, he came in to give it the professional gloss and to be the producer and director of it. And it's beautifully directed. So and Jean didn't even want mel in it because he didn't want mel winking at the audience. You know, he didn't want that wall broken. So I think if there's a point after that where the movies are you either like them or you don't like I happen to love Space Balls and find it very fresh and original. Of course it wouldn't be fresh and original today, but it was fresh and original for mel because that really wasn't a genre they had spoofed.
Speaker 1: You have the read and I see your schwartz is as big as mine.
Speaker 2: Now let's see how well you handle it. I grew up with Spaceballs and Young Frankenstein, and I remember when I had like a coming of age birthday, my parents showed me Blazing Saddles and I quickly understood why, you know, I had to be a certain age to see it, you know, because it took a certain amount of maturity to take it on. But I also, you know, I remember at the end of History of the World Part one there was a joking reference to being a part two, and my parents told me, like, that's mel Brooks. He's making a joke. He's never going to make that. So then I was pretty guffawed to see them make a History of the World Part two. But yeah, I'm wondering, have you watched History of the World Part two where you disappointed? What did you think about it?
Speaker 3: I did watch it out of curiosity, because when I'm done with the book, then it's work. But I did watch it out of curiosity and also to see not really what I thought about it in terms of its merits, but what I thought about it, you know, and look, someone's editing him, but he's no longer the young pup that he was in the nineteen fifties where he's spewing out brilliance every minute, and everybody who is in comedy adores him. So everybody would love to work with him. And it doesn't mean that people aren't good or aren't first class. You know. I thought jud Appetow's documentary about mel Brooks was was great, not because it was one hundred percent truthful, not because it was the greatest documentary ever made, but because Judge Appatow understood he was incredibly fond. Judd apt Appeta is a towering uh comic talent, filmmaker and writer. So there's you know, I don't want to say they're equal, because it's somehow it it it's not fair to either of them, but he's equivalent to to a mel Brooks, you know, and so there's nothing to say that there were there weren't parts that made me chuckle, but it was it was diminished capacity, you know, and Mel, not mel being in control at the top of his form. You know, he didn't have have to be quite so much for the Broadway shows because he wasn't directing, he wasn't doing all the writing as other people came in, and he was working from his own script thirty forty fifty years old, or a script whose properties he possessed and owned. But to go back from to the start, you know, and at that age, you worry. I mean, I worry about Larry David doing his show with Barack Obama. I want them both to look good, you know. And Larry David, he's older than me, so I don't want him to lose a step, you know, I want him to be great. So I'm sure all the people did that did that with the best hopes in mind and the best ideas in mind. They probably took the best ideas in the room. They have to respect Mel's opinion regardless, And so it was. I chuckled and I was amused. But diministry turns, I thought.
Speaker 1: In your book also you write about how mel Brooks's comedy is consistent to a fault, and by the time we get to the nineties with Robin Hood, men in tights and Dracula dead and loving it, basically fans had abandoned that kind of humor. He wasn't keeping up with the times.
Speaker 3: I think that's what it was. Those films look pretty good when you see them now, like Robin Hood men in tights, I'm kind of fond of. They all look good. They're well cast, the people are, the performers are great. Mel himself is very funny. He's he's a consummate director at that point. And I think the movie, the remake of Ta Be or Not To Be is pretty good, considering it's impossible, you know, and that it's possibly a dumb idea, you know, to remake that movie, but I think it's pretty good. I think, yes, he's he's his carrying forward of that old tradition where you know, Madeline con shows her legs and we go, oh, those are beautiful jewels you have on, you know, or you know, whatever the joke is is no longer funny. You know, the Harvey Korman Carol Burnett school of comedy on television, which is kind of lewde and lascivious, but never really it's gone, you know, because we've seen women on the bathroom farting and shooting and dumb and dumber people doing that and all kinds of scatological you know, dialogue that was shocking. You know, it's more shocking. It's probably not more shocking than Blazing Saddles in the N word, it's not, you know, but it's as shocking and a whole whole different cultural sphere. So so they brought it in and it is never going to go away. Now the N word comes in and goes back. It depends on like sometimes with this black filmmakers, the actor, it's not as certainly, or it's hip hop music, you know, so it goes in and it goes out. But it's still shocking in Blazing Saddles because you don't see it, you know, used in that kind of way by anybody else, in a Richard Pryor esque way. And possibly you couldn't do it nowadays, but you can do everything else.
Speaker 1: I remember at the Society for Nineteenth Century Historians presentation that you gave on Blazing Saddles, you mentioned that it is the only true Western.
Speaker 3: I think it's a Western, you know, you know Western, like who is a Richard Slatkin his name, you know who wrote Gunfighter Nation, which is a famous, famous like history of what the gunfighter myth, and it examines literature and films too. He notoriously or famously opposed, you know, considering Blazing Saddles a Western. I think it's a great Western because it gets all the cliches. It reminds you they are a cliche. Then it breaks the fourth wall into like the studio to show you they're filming it as a cliche. And then it ends up with the actors, you know, watching it eating popcorn and then writing off into the sunset in a limousine, you know, which is exactly Adam. You and I've probably discussed as I'm not the world's greatest fan of Westerns because I find they're full of bs. You know. Julius Epstein, who wrote Casa Blanc I told me, you know, he never wrote a Western, or he might have written a semi Western, like with his brother on assignment was but he said he couldn't take him seriously. There's such bs, you know, and they're usually historical bs, which is worse, you know, because all Westerns are an argument about what is factual and what is historical, and you see just horrible things, you know, that are accepted as truth, you know, in American culture because of Western So I like the ones that are completely opposed to all that, or completely diverge from all that, or try to be honest or realistic about you know, what the West happened to be? And Blazing Saddles does you know it?
Speaker 1: Does it?
Speaker 3: You know? You said Joey talked about how you know people you watched Blazing Saddles as a kid and you got it. But you can't show it to college kids today without them first laughing but not getting it. You know. So when I show it to my film classes, I afterwards come in with a list of like thirteen questions or you know, however many there are saying, you know, why is it funny that there's only one ice cream flavor? You know at the Howard Johnson's ice cream stand. You know, they don't know, but they're laughing. You know, who is Madeline Khn making fun of or vamping in the movie? They don't know, but they're laughing, so they don't know. It's actually a richly textured script from you know, we only mentioned you know to the writers mel Brooks and Richard Pryor, but it was originated by Andrew Bergman as a as a as exactly what it was about a black sheriff comedy about a black sheriff coming to a white town. So he has a huge hand in it. And then he and then there are two other like really well known comedy writers who became or were really well known for being experts, you know. So it was this superbly textured, layered, dense comedy in which you could be laughing at one joke, like, you know, the Indians come on and they speak Yiddish. The kids don't know what they're speaking. I teach them, Marquette. You know, they don't know what they're speaking, they don't know why the jokes are funny, and they're laughing. That's good. But still it's a movie. And again you can see Young Frankenstein, and it's a sophisticated movie. It's a dumber comedy, but you have to know what it's making fun of for it to get the joke. And that's a level of sophistication that I think even if I showed Young Frankenstein and asked everybody, why is that funny? You might have had to read the novel, you know, to know why it's super funny. You know, the producers, the producers, they couldn't possibly get I don't think they could possibly get it. I'd have to explain it. And when you explain a joke to someone sometimes they go, oh, I get it, and they laugh, but you know, it's the moment of laughing is really gone.
Speaker 1: I have one last question for you. Maybe it's a difficult one, but what would American comedy be without Mel Brooks.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, if you asked any comedian you know, would they would tell you there would be a big hole in the middle. You know, there would be the Golden Age and then there would be today. But the transition aged the post sixties to the like late eighties, early nineties, when the when the new generation starts to emerge. You know, the airplane folks you know, for example, are Jewish, and that's that's an old tradition comedy. Even though they were very funny and risque and good filmmakers, not where you know they are but the middle, but they didn't really command, you know, attention in the same way that Mel did. He commanded attention. He took that brand, He made that brand so that today if I go out on the street with my microphone and say, what do you think of Mel Brooks, you know, and I live in a like immigrant graduate student university neighborhood. Probably nine out of ten and the tenth would be a Chinese, you know, medical student who can't understand what I'm asking, you know, or something. But nine out of ten would know who he was, and they would smile and they would laugh, you know. He he was very very important as a as a to keep that part of comedy alive. And you know what, all comedy shouldn't be Ern Slubitch who is you know, the master and there or Billy Wilder, you know, both of whom are very risque, you know, comic directors. But you know, comedy also has to be rude, uh and arrogant and naughty in every possible way. Uh and uh. Mel kept that alive. And and so when we see somebody today and say we love Seth Rogan, you know you say you love Seth Rogan, You know I do love Seth Rogan. To me, Seth Rogan is a marker of something I want to see that will probably be funny. You know, Well, ask Seth Rogan about Mel Brooks. I'd be very surprised if he didn't say, I'm here because of Mel Brooks. You know, he's not gonna say I'm here because of Woody Allen, although a lot of them will say that too.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting what you're saying. There's kind of two streams that come out of, in my mind, the early days of film comedy. There's the Three Stooges on one side, and there's the Marx Brothers on the other side, who are the sophisticated version. So in a way like mel Brooks blends them together.
Speaker 3: He does. He does because he doesn't quite go down to the Three Stooges level. But that's why we love the Three Stooges. You know, there has to be three Stooges comedy today, you know. I mean, so he blends them. So, yeah, he's gonna in a scene he's quite capable of going oh, you know, or doing something really really stupid on purpose for a laugh. That's part of comedy.
Speaker 1: And then on the other side, of course, there are messages in mel Brooks's films if you look in the right places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I would say less, you know, mostly not like he's not political except he's against Hitler. Well that's pretty important, you know, it's very important to say you know, because it's very important to say that he was. He was proudly Jewish, and he made that. He made that popular in American culture. And he was of course virulently anti anti Semites, you know, so uh and made that funny and made that popular. So he'd be a good antidote for like, you know, white nationalists. Stick them in the jail cell and make them watch mel Brooks movies. You know, they'd probably end up laughing after a long time when they were forced to watch, and then they might get their brains cleaned, you know, because he did stand for something. Maybe it's a little more mysterious, you know what he or a little bit more scholarly to discuss what he stood for, but not not when it comes to being a proud, proud banner wearer of Jewish identity and comedy. You know, he banner waiver.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think one way to some of mel Brooks is that he is the quintessential New York Jew.
Speaker 3: He is, he is, He's probably going to be California Jew when he dies, though, because he's made himself, you know. That was that was the thing in the seventies at Woody Allen was the East Coast Jewish New York director, and Mel was the West Coast Jewish movie director. And really you have to say that Mel is he's really striving for entertainment, the broadest possible entertainment, the biggest possible laughs, the biggest possible audience, the hot, biggest possible recognition. And what he's not really doing that. He stumbles into that now and then, but he doesn't do that, and he looks down his nose at it, or he envies Mel being happy with that.
Speaker 1: You know, well, thanks so much for joining us, Patrick.
Speaker 3: And give us a good subject. I like talking about.
Speaker 1: It and to our audience. Now back to your regularly scheduled lives. Amusing Jews is here to amuse you.
Speaker 2: If you like being amused, go ahead and click like and subscribe,