Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from k f I A M six forty.
Speaker 2: This listensch says it shut work out, this patch workout.
Speaker 3: It's Later with mo Kelly. We're live on YouTube. That's real important because Claudine Cooper joins us in studio. The nice exercise lady. You can go to Claudinecooper dot com. Claudin, it's great to see you. How are you this evening? Turn on that microphone.
Speaker 2: There I'm doing.
Speaker 4: There we go.
Speaker 2: How are you doing?
Speaker 4: I'm doing well. How you drive in?
Speaker 3: Because I'm always appreciative when you drive in with all this craziness outside.
Speaker 5: You know, it wasn't too bad. I just was listening to my Beyonce Cowboy Carter. Since going to the concert, that's kind of been on rotation.
Speaker 4: Oh you went? Did you walk to the concert?
Speaker 2: I indeed walked off.
Speaker 3: My goodness, you just gonna rub it. It didn't have to park ninety dollars park and I'm just.
Speaker 4: Gonna stroll too.
Speaker 5: Even better than that, I taught my plate's class, showered at the gym, put on my outfit, and walked straight from work.
Speaker 4: You didn't even go home?
Speaker 3: No, it must be nice to have most of your life stuff contained in a small area.
Speaker 5: I gotta admit people were like, oh, what are you gonna do about living next to a stadium and all these things going on over there, But honestly, it's been really great for us. I mean, minus the traffic every now and then you run into it. But you know, for the most part, I'm not one to complain. I also am not one to start to think about a negative outcome before it even happens.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I wish I could be you, because I'm always worried about the negative life. Look if I go out to this party tonight, I have to worry about this. I have to worry about that, you know what, time about to.
Speaker 4: Get up in the morning.
Speaker 3: I'm always thinking about these contingencies of if I choose to do this, how might this adversely affect me?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 5: I feel like so for me, I was raised in an environment where a lot of people lean towards the negative outcome of everything, right, so take advantage. Take, for example, me moving out here to La La is such.
Speaker 4: A scary play from where at that point?
Speaker 5: Oh, I mean, like I've lived all over But let's just use from my hometown Minneapolis, and the people who were the most like LA is a scary place, It's a terrible place. Are the main ones who are like, mmmm, the winter's getting cold. Sure would love to come visit in La. You know, I've been here for twenty five years now, so it ended up working out for me.
Speaker 2: But mainly, I believe that our.
Speaker 5: Thoughts manifest, our thoughts come to fruition. If you continue to think negative about things, there will most likely be a negative outcome.
Speaker 2: If you believe that the positive is possible.
Speaker 5: More than you ruminate on the negative, chances are you'll have a positive outcome.
Speaker 3: Look at you coming in here preaching, but in a good way. Let me ask you about that. In a roundabout way, I gave you this story about the rise of what is called the crunchy teen wellness influencer. YEA long story, short is there is this health and wellness movement amongst teens as far as diet and lifestyle, which is supposedly opposite the generation before them and parents. But the downside of this, to connect it is some teens start obsessing thinking about the negative regarding health and wellness, diet and exercise, worrying about what diseases they may get in the years in the future, what life is going to be like for them, because someone in their family might have gotten cancer. They're just worried about all these other things that they shouldn't be worried about.
Speaker 5: Yet you're saying that they're ruminating on a possible negative outcome. Correct, Okay, that's not what I gathered from reading this article.
Speaker 4: So go ahead.
Speaker 2: And here's the thing too.
Speaker 5: How we receive information is through our own lens, our own perspective. When I read this article, what I saw was teenagers who are willing and able to disrupt the generational patterns of poor health. And they're doing it, and they're on a journey, and they're putting it on social media. And sure, they're sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen years old. So do they have all the scientific backing and the education.
Speaker 2: And all the things. No, they don't.
Speaker 5: But what they do have is a passion for not being medicated for their whole adult life, because they've made choices at sixteen seventeen, eighteen nineteen that will then have to be undone at thirty nine, forty and forty one.
Speaker 3: We're talking about this article in the New York Times called the rise of the crunchy teen wellness influencer. And you may think young people are disinclined or less inclined to worry concern themselves with their diet. I'll say, the genealogical history what they may be predisposed to. But it's a different type of thinking for teenagers because they're usually just thinking of whatever is in the moment. But now there is a rise in i'll say thought surrounding the subsequent decades in front of them.
Speaker 5: Here's what I read, Okay, I read that there are teenagers they're calling the crunchy teens. Because crunchy refers to granola, that's what we used to call it. It refers to hippie, it refers to all natural, no medication, holistic. That's why they're called crunchy. However, what I'm getting from this is that the crunchy teen does not want to eat ultra process No. No, they do not want to go get fast food. They want to try alternative ways to stay healthy. Now, the negative outcome that I gathered from the article was that this could potentially promote people into eating disorders. Yes, now that's a whole nother subject that I don't know enough about to weigh in on. But what I can say is that any time you're taking in content, videos, posts from people on social media, take it with a grain of self, whether you're sixteen, twenty six, or seventy six, because what you are receiving through the video and through content is simply one person's point of view.
Speaker 3: I always say that not all opinions are created equal, and we should distill them through a common sense filter, if you will, because everyone has an opinion about everything, but not all opinions are created equal. Some are more informed, some are less informed, some are altogether uninformed, And I have to look at each opinion or each editorial or each post, each thought and distill it through some sort of like calllender, if you will, and kind of shake it. It's like, Okay, is this person credible? Are they knowledgeable? And we'll go from there.
Speaker 5: What a sixteen year old who is weighing in on the health and wellness industry as a whole have a vast amount of information?
Speaker 2: I mean they're sixteen.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think they have a lot of information about anything.
Speaker 3: If that sounds dismissive, is because life experience does matter.
Speaker 2: It matters.
Speaker 5: Also, there's another scientist in this article that says, there's a whole educational background that you have to have to start weighing in on nutrition as well. Right, However, these kids, being that I'm a parent of children of this age, these kids have access to a lot of information and they have the ability to research in ways that would take us days, weeks, hours, months. Right, So now they can gather information that will support their point of view.
Speaker 4: They call that confirmation bias.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're more ways to investigate, but there's all so more misinformation, more disinformation, more confirmation bias out there. If I believe the world is flat, damn it, I'll be able to find something that confirms my belief that the Earth is flat.
Speaker 2: Just google it exactly, Just google it.
Speaker 5: And I say that to say, you said, oh, I filter it through my calender of common sense. But I'm gonna tell you my day I used to say common sense.
Speaker 3: And all that common It's later with Mo Kelly and Claudinancooper. Go to Claudinecooper dot com. If you want to know more. We'll have more in just a moment. It's mo Kelly. We're live on YouTube, iHeartRadio app and Instagram Live. If you want to see the show.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: It's Later with mo Kelly Live on YouTube, the iHeartRadio app and Instagram. And we're right in the middle of conversation with Claudinecooper Claudinecooper dot com. If you want to know more, I encourage you to go there. But in the last segment, I mean, we were talking about this New York Times article, the rise of the crunchy teen wellness influencer, and how both of us extracted different things from it. We interpreted it differently, but at the end of it all, it had to do with teen wellness influencers exerting their influence over their peers. As far as dietary choices, I found it strange, if only because teens don't really have any say right wrong, and different as far as what they eat in their individual households and Carnesia. You were telling us about someone who wrote in the YouTube chat that go ahead and tell us real quick tourn your might there.
Speaker 5: Yes, Reep said, I do not support teens controlling their health when their brain is still developing.
Speaker 3: There's something to that, because teens think a whole lot of stuff which really should not be given the time of day, me included when I was a teen. We think a lot of things, probably not well informed. I'm the mother of teens and I am a crunchy mom. What Yes, I am a crunchy mom. I allow my teens to have a say so. I want them to weigh in on their nutrition. I want them to eat or cook for themselves. I actually wanted to. I love that comment. By the way, thank you for leaving that comment in. Anyone who's watching, please leave us comments.
Speaker 2: We love it.
Speaker 5: I will say this, I take my kids to the market. We all get our own little basket and we get the things that we need to meal prep and to cook for the week. It's a way to foster independence as well as allowing them a freedom of thought. I don't want to control my children. Control is not love. But you're gonna get me on a parenting vendor right now.
Speaker 3: We need to have this conversation and maybe a generational But I grew up in a household which is the exact opposite.
Speaker 4: You're gonna eat what I put in front of you.
Speaker 3: And you're not gonna have a say in whatever's gonna be chosen at the supermarket. You might have a vote for what maybe for dessert on a given evening, or do you want to have breakfast for dinner on a given evening as a as a treat. But other than that, I was very much from the scene, not her generation of children raising.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm of that generation, and I hated it.
Speaker 3: But are you that Are you the cool mom that'll have a party let all the kids drink.
Speaker 2: We're not gonna try.
Speaker 5: Oh momo, I'm gonna just say this. My garage is the landing pad for all the kids in the neighborhood. A war has been say no war, and it always has been. I want my kids around me, and I want to have an been, honest and trustworthy relationship with my children.
Speaker 2: I do not want to control them.
Speaker 5: I do not want to assert my authority over them so that they are scared enough of me to lie, because that's all you're getting. You're not getting kids who are going to adhere to your strict rules. You're getting kids who will lie to you because they fear you, and that is not a relationship.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you that because I grew up in the fear me too complex me too because my father was going to beat my ass.
Speaker 4: Yes, and he did and did.
Speaker 2: We are victims of abuse.
Speaker 3: But but but but I can't say they protected me in the sense of we would rather you fear us that engage in behavior which may lead to your demise. The reason why I'm Marse paul O'Kelly, my father am so hard on you, Morris William o'kelly's because I would rather teach you boundary reason parameters so the police don't have to so the world doesn't have to so you don't end up in either jail, prison, or the morgue or some combination thereof.
Speaker 2: And thank god you're sitting here right now.
Speaker 5: Butjah, but I can tell you right now that that method doesn't always work. But what you did say that does work is that Morris Paul O'Kelly was in that house. Oh yes, Now, that I can say is probably the bigger game changer than me telling you you need to eat what I put on this plate or you're not getting up out of this pet.
Speaker 4: Got to sound just like my mama. Work for words. Let me watch it right now.
Speaker 5: Only because I had to say, Mama.
Speaker 4: Hello, true story, but let me tie it all together.
Speaker 3: There is something to be said for the health and wellness, the emotional wellness of a child in an environment where he or she feels they have a say, and my sister say in our household had to do with like, for example, if we want to go to a party. If I want to go to a party, my parents will say, why should we allow you to go? What is the argument?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 3: I want you to think through this. It's not how are you going to get there? Who's going to be there? What problems might you have? And it got me to think about safety in a different way and also learning how to articulate these things which I may want in life. I didn't know it at the time, but looking back, oh, that's what they were doing. But there is a wellness component to this parenting thing right.
Speaker 5: In my opinion, social and emotional wellness starts at home. It starts at home with the relationship the children have with their parents. And if the child feels unseen or unheard, as you said, I feel like they will continue to show up in life smaller than what they should be and could be. Now I will say this, I was not asked for a whole dissertation on why I want to go to the party. I had one parent who was like, I'll drive you to the party and i'll pick you up from the party. That way I know where you are. But I had another parent who was like, you not going to the party, and that's that on that and I'm not.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt wat here because.
Speaker 5: I said so yes, and I promised myself I would never do my children like that. You can pitch your argument and I'll listen and we can come to maybe some middle.
Speaker 3: Ground that's completely foreign to me because I did not have a vote. Now I may have had the floor to make an argument, but I didn't have a vote. That vote and that final say was going to come from her or him or them, but it wasn't going to become coming from me.
Speaker 4: Look, if you get to.
Speaker 3: The right endpoint, then I don't quibble too much about the journey in the path to get there.
Speaker 5: Well, you don't get to quibble because guess what, it's the person's journey, it's the parents' journey, it's the child's journey. And that's another thing too. I stand on business when it comes to my kids. They're going to go through their own journey and they're going to face their own consequences, and they're going to have to live with those consequences.
Speaker 3: Hopefully it won't be prison or death. That's what my parents were worried about. Yeah, well you don't always get a say either.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 3: Before we get too far, Afield, I know you're back with your Saturday free workouts.
Speaker 4: Very quickly tell us about that.
Speaker 5: Every Saturday, nine am and Inglewood at the Hollywood Park Retail District a free workout, no equipment needed, no registration needed.
Speaker 2: Just pull up on me, y'all.
Speaker 5: It's ninety seventh then Prairie in the heart of Inglewood, especially if you live over there. You know it's right by Sofi Stadium and it's all levels in all ages. Families come, so come on and see me. We do a nice little movement break, we talk, we get to.
Speaker 2: Know each other.
Speaker 4: It's fun and she's gonna work your ass out and just let you know.
Speaker 2: That's a nice exercise.
Speaker 4: Mark, Mark, don't let the title fool you.
Speaker 2: You're welcome, Welcome for that, appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Claudie Cooper is always a pleasure to see.
Speaker 5: Always a pleasure to come into the studio with you mouth thank you.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: In next week, I won't be here guys, Just so you know, I'm doing a corporate wellness event with the NFL headquarters.
Speaker 2: Did she?
Speaker 4: Did you hear how she just threw that out there like she's big willie little humble bragging. Yeah, she could have just pulled it off off air, but she said no, let me tell on air.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me tell him what's up?
Speaker 3: She just she just big time does I can't come in because the NFL is calling.
Speaker 4: I think she's too big for this show.
Speaker 5: Now let me come back the next week.
Speaker 2: I'm not too big for you, guys.
Speaker 5: Love y'all.
Speaker 3: It's Later with Mo Kelly KIM six forty live everywhere on YouTube, Instagram, and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty