Speaker 1: Remy Live on the Ihearts Radio WIB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Man, the next time I come into your show on that announcement, I want to hear Steve Rivera and Lemon Huntley.
Speaker 3: Can I get it?
Speaker 4: This might be your last. That takes a lot of work. I don't even know when you're coming in outside. No, man, you didn't give me no proper time.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm giving you enough time to make that announcement.
Speaker 4: Could you put the special announcement? That's right, trumpets and everything, red carpet, that's right. Now. We have breaking news from Kobe Baby.
Speaker 5: No breaking news sound today, I guess, okay, okay, breaking news. Arizona Softball named unanimous top ten as they head into its first Big twelve series this weekend.
Speaker 3: Have you gone to see him yet? No, I haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: They're pretty good. Yeah, I may read and I see that very good. Yeah, which is great for her.
Speaker 5: Yes, beautiful Caleb Love named finalists for Jerry West Shooting Guard.
Speaker 4: Of the Year. Yeah, surprising to me. Shooting but not making guard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's been up and down and again shooting guy, shooting guy.
Speaker 5: Okay, The Eagles are rewarding Saquon barkley first historic season with a two year, forty one point two million dollar contract ascension that makes him the highest paid running back in NFL history.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you.
Speaker 2: You don't have to tell me this because it's personal. What was your contract like? Like, not even a fraction, not even close to it. It was a point just cause you imagine this is forty years later.
Speaker 3: No, not even No, I can't imagine the type of money. I'm sure it's guaranteed. Oh yeah, his money is. I think most of it is guaranteed. Yeah, no, I think all of his money is. Garrett.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there was no guaranteed money when I was playing, no at all for anybody, nobody. John Alway got the first guaranteed contract, Noel first year of his contract.
Speaker 5: He was the first player. Yeah, it's thirty six million guaranteed. So yeah, guarantee jets released.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Let me say something about that kid.
Speaker 2: What do you guys think about the fact that he did not try to win the the.
Speaker 4: Oh it's not that he didn't, they didn't allow him to.
Speaker 3: Well, you have a say in this.
Speaker 4: As a player.
Speaker 3: I don't think he did. Why not?
Speaker 4: I don't know he just I don't think they did. You're not the boss of your.
Speaker 2: Gonna you have the right to say you're gonna play, you're gonna play.
Speaker 4: No, No, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: So the boss say I'm gonna sit you down. Yes, say no boss, I'm sure this record?
Speaker 4: Why when?
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't the team want the record? Didn't want to get him hurt? The kid was not gonna get hurt. He can get How do you know that? How do you not know?
Speaker 4: You must be difficult to live with the kid with the phone.
Speaker 3: But that's what I'm trying to figure out.
Speaker 4: The reason.
Speaker 3: He had to have a no Google, we're gonna google.
Speaker 2: He had to have a say in regards to playing or not playing.
Speaker 4: No, if your employer says you can't go, you're not gonna go.
Speaker 3: So he had he had to have a say in it.
Speaker 4: First of all, I don't think he said, okay, I'll abide by that. That's what I was to say. No, I can't believe. I'm sure I would bet you a training session. I think Eric Dickerson guy in that kid. No, No, no, no, god No.
Speaker 2: I think Eric Dixison stopped that kid from getting I'm taking his record.
Speaker 4: No, I don't. I don't think so we'll google the rank. Google tell you everything.
Speaker 5: The New York Jets released wide receiver Dawnta Adams. The Jets will save twenty nine point nine million in salary cap space. He had no guaranteed money remaining on his contract.
Speaker 4: Well that was they got him for for the quarterback, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Do you have asked you this? Because I talked to you so often Aaron Rodgers? Have you did you play for with a guy like that? In terms of ego? I'm sure, Hell you.
Speaker 2: Guys, but I didn't have an ego, you know what I'm saying, just like, just play the damn can't.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's that that hasn't changed.
Speaker 2: I mean that's still players just like Aaron Rodgers, that that thought that you know, he was special and.
Speaker 3: Management treated him that way.
Speaker 2: So when management treats you away, he expects everybody else to treat you that way.
Speaker 4: You know, isn't that the first rule of bad chemistry and karma and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: To me, it is as far as bad you know, sportsmanships for you know, as far as you know, as far as putting the team together that's team together, and I wouldn't want good management.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't want him on my team. I wouldn't either.
Speaker 2: I mean, I wouldn't want to be a I wouldn't want to be on a team.
Speaker 3: With him, right right? You know I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think he was good for the team at all. Do you still think he has a future? Oh, someone's gonna get him opportunity. He'll get and and and and Dante probably will be playing right beside him, true, because of a package package. Do I think he's gonna be probably end up being with the Raiders? Oh, which could happen because owns the part of the team too. He's kind of calling the shots to Yeah, he tried to get Stafford there, it looks yeah, didn't didn't work out that way.
Speaker 4: Are you a fan? Are you a NFL fan?
Speaker 2: Or you just I just watched it because every now because somebody I know? Or why aren't you a fan of the gang? Yeah, because I wasn't an employee. Once you worked a gang, or you work for someone, you'll become a fan. So you So when I say that, no, no, perfect. When I when people say am I a fan sports fan?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I go to the games. I know what job. It's my job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I respect that. Yeah, and I know that there's more to the story. Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: It does? I mean it really does.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure you knew stuff that what really Yeah, behind the scenes, that really didn't happen that way.
Speaker 3: But you see it that way. Enjoy it, right, but I can't.
Speaker 4: No, No, that's that's exactly why exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay, that makes sense. I respect that.
Speaker 5: Okay, Dallas Mavericks all star Carrier Irving suffered a season ending toward a c l was left knee.
Speaker 3: That yeah, that's too bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that team that the franchise has gone to crap and last month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why would why did Cuban trade?
Speaker 4: Cuban's not the guy.
Speaker 2: And why did he sell the team his percentage of the team.
Speaker 3: You know what his reasoning was.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what the reasoning was. Yeah, but he got out at the right time. Uh yeah, yeah, because he and he has no say in the day to day operation. He's a minority now and it's a female right. Yeah. Well, although the guys are calling the shots. That's why, that's why they got rid of Luke. You know, Luca, he was too heavy, not working out.
Speaker 4: The dude, if you scored thirty points in your three pounds, I don't care.
Speaker 3: Let him play. That's something he's doing well in l A right now.
Speaker 2: And actually I wasn't a fan of that because I was like, well, shoot, I mean him and Lebron.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean no, no, you know, I was just going to work out. But it's working out nicely.
Speaker 4: Another number two in the in the league, in the.
Speaker 3: That's right in the West.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I saw that the Angles franchise tag wide receiver T Higgins for second year in a row.
Speaker 3: You played for Colts in Minneapolis. Rick got drafted by the Beingals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 3: I never never showed up and played in Denver. Never showed up.
Speaker 4: You just played for the Colts. Just well.
Speaker 3: Had a weekend in Miami after your how many years? Four years? Four years? And then you went to Miami. Yeah. Did you have fun in Miami though? No, I hated it.
Speaker 6: Really.
Speaker 3: It was a beach in the ghetto. Oh I Steven, Okay, that's it. I mean, that's all I remember. When I first got there, I was in a hotel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I go to the I'm driving over to the to the facility and I go underneath the underpath, yeah, on the highway, and I see lion.
Speaker 3: Outlines of bodies just got killed that night. I'm like, dude, I can't.
Speaker 2: Oh really, this is like nineteen eighty. It was like nineteen right at eighty nine ninety, I said, no, this is not me. Yeah they did.
Speaker 5: Sam Darnold said to be free agent as he did not get franchise tagged by the Vikings.
Speaker 3: Wow, that can be a raider. He can be.
Speaker 2: There's so many needed quarterbacks. And he's so young too, that's the thing. Yeah, I mean he did a great job. He got a lot of upside. He's still a young player, and I think that the ceiling is bigger for him than the other guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's It's for today's breaking news.
Speaker 3: Is nothing for you, bay, I haven't really seen just tonight's game. Everyone's going to play tonight?
Speaker 4: Yeah, night.
Speaker 3: Over again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you've seen you've seen something the two from last year, right, white Man and and love from last year party until you can't you know, until you get it right. Uh So I guess, I guess. So he got to do a stand up and say ditto from last year, the same things you wanted. They gonna bring the same jersey from last year. So he's gonna have two jersey.
Speaker 3: What a deal?
Speaker 4: Well, come on, some of the kids are playing for seven years.
Speaker 3: Eight years, you know, I know that's crazy. What'd you get your degree in business? Business?
Speaker 2: And I had no idea I was going to be in it though. Oh I was gonna say, you no idea. But what happened, well, I didn't At that time. The business school was the schools to be in. You know, they directed you to.
Speaker 4: Those, so okay, so then you got your degree, you went to the NFL, played your four years. Uh, and then I stumbled. I stumbled into my business.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's basically the gentleman who started Arizona how forty one years ago?
Speaker 3: Gosh, what his name is?
Speaker 2: Scott Tongeah, he's no longer with us, but he started the business. And he actually was my trainer and Ricky's trainer. He used to he was our trainer, and you know, and then I got back in town trying to figure out what I'm doing my life. I got my real estate license, I got my insurance license. You know, I was going to go and become a teacher or coach, football and things like that. And then I called on him and sold him some of his and then he said, well, you know, I'm trying to expand the business and stuff, you know, thirty two years from since then, that's what I've been doing.
Speaker 4: Well, well, then, you did you have the business acumen to do it or he kind of helped you into it?
Speaker 2: Well? On the on the again, the book side of it, I learned that from him, I did. I mean, as far as the book side of the business, how to run the business properly or that that was learned through him.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, one of the things that we talked ahead.
Speaker 2: But as far as the you know, out front, you know, it's just the person out.
Speaker 4: Well, that's where I wanted to go with it, and we talked about this before the show started. We live in a people person world, right. A lot of people aren't people personally agree and and a lot of the people who succeed at are people personally here. Why are you? What can I do for you? Good?
Speaker 3: To see you?
Speaker 4: YadA YadA? There's not enough of that. There's not enough of that in my in my world, in my view, Okay, you do it, oh man, I mean it, And you have to do it.
Speaker 2: I have to do it because you know, I want people to you know, I'm gonna be a part of what we do as a living there.
Speaker 3: Would you agree with me or no? I totally agree with you.
Speaker 2: And I think people, you know, people make things happen. You know, people is the difference in everything we do, you know, and I enjoy you know, going in a situation or sitting or or or Michael, you know, you go into a basketball game and people recognize you for what you do today, you know, I know, I know a lot of people recognize me for what I did forty plus years ago, or that it's the same people. But it's the same people it is in that case. But the fact is they recognize me for what I do today, and that's very.
Speaker 3: Special because they've dealt with you the.
Speaker 2: Business exactly, and they see me on the commercials, they see TV and things like that, and they think they know you on that aspect.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: So I'm not gonna be a butt heead you know, I'm gonna be that that saying, you know, joyful, loving guy and and hopefully that turns into the fact that you have a need for me and come to my store.
Speaker 4: Sure, sure, or you can tell somebody and say, you know, he's a great he's a great guy.
Speaker 3: And we are, I mean, we're great people. We do the right things. But I don't think there's enough of that.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: I take pride on that. I mean, I take pride on on doing the right thing for people. And then you know, and I mean you you, you know, it doesn't cost much to smile. You have a smile on your face, constantly, have a smile on your face. The right thing and kindness to others the rent we pay for being on this earth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I wish it was nice with me that you are talking about it. Whatever.
Speaker 2: You just gotta learn to call me at the right time, like give me a day notice, at least not an hour.
Speaker 4: And then you can wear the Dawnace cowboy shirt.
Speaker 2: Man, Like I said, don't talk about my sweater like this because it was a gift.
Speaker 4: It was the only thing you're gonna wear. Red.
Speaker 3: Now I'm over red.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're you're red guy.
Speaker 3: I'm a red type of guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's take you got a call, Okay, Okay, what do you want. Let's go. Let's go, and then we'll get a hold of Hod Rubino from Tempe. Are you ready?
Speaker 8: Is ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 4: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 8: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready? Enterprise so Fasco Yuki trye.
Speaker 9: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom.
Speaker 3: And let our experts guide you.
Speaker 9: Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location. I'm near you at the Window Deepot dot Com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 4: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 2: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 6: Arizona Health man an exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of will Not.
Speaker 11: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Recognize your employees.
Speaker 11: Salespeople, managers and agents with a creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman. Visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five two O six eight today in MLS three or eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine four two Equal housing Opportunity, How to commitment to Lindrixson credit rates and avaiable loan programs or subject to change the un notice.
Speaker 13: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking to start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in.
Speaker 2: Sports cards and trading card games.
Speaker 13: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 11: Richard bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to ROH twelve thirteen. Browd sponsor of I on the Ball Go Cats.
Speaker 14: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Controllers complete desert pest management specialist. That's can't run or hide from Arizona pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson in southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 15: Why is mining so important? It's the foundation of everything, that defines the society. Everything you see is a product of mining, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the mineral's af process. That's wilining is so important.
Speaker 4: God to bybm dot com.
Speaker 9: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress. The Window Depot is here to help. At the Window Depot, we're your one softwarehouse for every you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between. You'll find it all here at the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Subscribe now to the.
Speaker 1: Podcast on the iHeartRadio wipp just search I on the Ball.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, your Lamont and your Kobe. We were talking too much and we forget the call.
Speaker 2: Hode, I have them calls, so go ahead and tom Oh, we're gonna talk amongst that.
Speaker 3: Solah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he just tested me. Why not?
Speaker 3: So tell me?
Speaker 2: Hey, tell me about the Jets. How did you come we're such a Jets fan. Are you from that area?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm from Long Island. My dad was a Jets fan. Yeah, it's been rough. I mean, longest playoff yard in sports. But Long Island is in New York. The Jets are that's playing Jersey.
Speaker 2: That's why I can't understand why you got people from New York Jersey fans. I could never understand. My wife, she's a she's that way, and I can't understand. And the only team that plays in New York is Buffalo the Bills. That's true, because everybody plays in New Yeah, that's true. You're just looking for some success. Yeah, well Buffalo don't have my success when it comes to Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so keep an eye on that. He just just.
Speaker 4: Wait, it's raining busy, it's ringing busy.
Speaker 3: We're gonna call him then.
Speaker 4: I think that's something must be wrong with our phones now, Yeah, because what's is Steve didn't pay the bills again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Steve, Steve Stavero even got the Beata bill a Yeah. Yeah, we got in trouble with the last week.
Speaker 4: Fridday, we were totally off there for an hour because the Micxican work it's headquarters somewhere messed up somewhere, so, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and someone who's driving your van down here. Yeah, he took two spots by the way.
Speaker 4: Oh, let's say, I don't know, I don't know what I just I just I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I mean it's like, you know, you got people coming into your studio here.
Speaker 4: Oh is this year?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh thanks? We were just gibber jabbering, so we got to call hot God, are you on your way down here? What?
Speaker 7: Uh? No, I'm actually actually not able to make it. I am going to have a staff member there, but I'm I'm fortunately not able to make it.
Speaker 4: You're not here for the last Bobby Hurdy game here ever.
Speaker 7: Wow, So it's a game here on Saturday, you know, at all, last game of DFA.
Speaker 2: I'll be there down here. So what do you think about that? What do you think about Bobby in the future.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I just really can't see any scenario that he does stay unless a SU feels very very cash strapped that they're not able to, you know, pay the three and a half mil more or less to buy him out. I mean, you have like the outside possibility that you know, all the freshmen decides that, you know, they're they're going to stay, Bobby stays, But to me, that really really seems far fetched. You know, they're supposed to have this documentary, They're supposed to generate the NIL for those players, and that never happened. They're still able to pay him what they said they're going to pay for them, but you know, I just don't see you know, a SU going into that, you know adventure once again. You know, it's not knowing that they have the NL stream. So it's it's it's really really tough. And I think Grabbersony knows that the spotlights on him. This is going to be his first real decision, important decision as a as athletic director, and I think you know, a decision to retain Bobby at this point is not really going to bode well, you know, for him either.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you talked about the new ad U, the cut lighting and lightning in the bottle for football. No, I'm sure they thinking they can do the same thing in basketball in other areas because it's possible.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, you know, football right now is is really on cruise control, you know, and folks, uh, you know, if they're looking at football, it's definitely not with a critical eye or anything like that. They're just really pleased of all the growth that they're able to see from that program.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 7: You know, Baseball is uh, you know, as far as another major sport, is this really TVD It's been a very mediocre uh season to date. You know, you probably throw a hockey in there as a major sport, and hockey is doing great obviously in his first year at the toughest conference in a in all of college hockey. So all eyes on basketball right now as the major sport that people are paying attention to. People want to see it, you know, rise to the level of football and maybe that's asking the impossible, but at least be more relevant and have more much more success than it had this year.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, let's.
Speaker 7: Face it, this is the most balancing team that Bobby Hurley assembled. So to see this team not only not qualify for the Innsulay Tournament but also finished the regular season with a losing record, that's something that really doesn't sit well with the fan base and with the boosters.
Speaker 4: I think you would have thought he's ten years right, this is ten years yeah, yeah, so you would have thought, you know, given the name and he did well at Buffalo, that this guy who knows basketball apparently and played it very very well would have had some marginal success at a issue and it just didn't happen. There has to be some I'm asking you, did you partly know? There has to be a reason or two or three because for it not happening.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, you know, Bobby Hurley's tenure at ASCO is not a total failure, and I know maybe some of his critics would probably point to that, but look, I mean there's definitely been some pretty pretty impressive moments, pretty impressive seasons all throughout his tenure. I think that you know, by and large, Bobby Hurley has not really surrounded himself, surrounded himself, I'm sorry, with a group of good competent assistants and a lot of assistants that he has hired, not only this past season, but really throughout his ten uere were really just you know, good recruiters and maybe sometimes even't didn't deliver all that well in that department. But as far as really good x's and O x as and o's guys, he really did not attract those kinds of assistant coaches all throughout the years. And you know, I think that there were many years that you need an assistant coach over there that to be an offensive or defensive coordinator for that matter, somebody that could really, you know, stand up to Bobby and say no if he felt that a decision or philosophy wasn't really you know, going the way it should go. I mean, Bobby really, you know, had those assistants here and there, but it's very, very few and far between.
Speaker 4: And I just.
Speaker 7: Think that especially this year when he had so much talent and look, i mean, injuries have definitely plagued this this team, there's no doubt about that. But you know, you take a player Likensanan, which I'm sure is going to get quite the welcome in Tucson later on tonight, but you know, he's a player that hit that that that freshman wall really early in Big twelve play and again and you have also the objective element there of a of an ankle injury in the Big twelve opener. But to have a really competent assistant coach that can develop him from the x's and o's perspective, to really help him as a very young player just overcome the fact that he has become a focal point of a scouting report that he cannot really deal with the defenses that that the teams are throwing at him. If as who has such an assistant coach on the bench right now, you know, we're definitely seeing a different so none I think and definitely saying maybe a different ASU team because we saw how well the Sun Devil team wasn't was a non conference play on nine and two some impressive wins against multiple teams that are going to hear their name on on selection Sunday, and Sonan was absolutely phenomenal during the during the non conference season, but once Big Twelve plays started. He really was an absolute, you know, shell of himself, and that's where the absence of a development de a mental assistant coach really really hindered the sun evels.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let me ask you, do you think there'll be any hangovers not the right word, but a residual effect from the last time they played tonight?
Speaker 7: Look, I mean I think the fans and tooth and are.
Speaker 4: Always into it.
Speaker 7: When when when a su comes to town, and are they going to be a little more amped up than usual?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Sure, I think that the defice that that is going to be there. Uh, you know, because Bobby Hurley is squarely on the hot seat. I think that also, uh, does charge up the atmosphere that much more. I talked a second about Sonnan obviously a former you have a commit that they decide to make the trip up north on the I ten. Uh, that's another element, uh that to consideracy. I think there's definitely a lot of aspects in play that may make the atmosphere there and Michel center a little more charged up than he than he usually is for these acu of a games about you.
Speaker 4: You're right behind the you're right in the middle. Right, you've been to these games a thousand times. You're I'm sure you're not giving him grief, but you've seen.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well to is going to be crazy. I mean, I mean, they're they're going to be after him tonight.
Speaker 2: I'm four, I'm five rows right behind the visitor team, and there's a couple of regulars that's there that constantly goes after the coach. And there's a couple of that in the past, constantly goes after Bobby, and and and and and and Bobby does he feeds into it. I mean, he has a way of feeding into it just as well. But you know, this game might be a little different because you know, obviously it may be his last game. So I'm not sure what kind of reaction he's going to really show.
Speaker 4: To this old Let me ask you to I think what this is about up I think maybe even in Phoenix media and I'm not sure who asked it, but it was it was. It was profound. I thought, Uh, he's animated, he enjoyed. I don't know if he enjoys it, but he's animated. He gets in the refs, does a lot of antics and blah blah blah. Do you think that carries over to the kids that play for him. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean, I say, think the fact that Bobby Hurley is a very, very emotional coach, and you know that's not exactly breaking news for anybody. Let's follow Bobby Hurley not only in the games against U of A, but really just in any game as play. I do I do think players do take after the personality of their coach.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: There was a string of games.
Speaker 7: I think it was maybe four home games in a row where a player got ejected by an ASU player I'm sorry, got ejected and obviously one of them happened against against U of AD Adam Miller. You know, you know, but but but at the head of of of a U of A player, and Adam Miller, by the way, is questionable, uh for tonight. So if he does play, you can just add that to a long list of an extra charge up atmosphere at Mcheal Center.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 7: But but yeah, but I think that, you know, as much as you want to see a coach fight for you as a player and really getting get into it, the rest and everything, I do, I do feel that that is that thin line that does cross that it does get cross, and sometimes there is more harm than good that that's being done. And when your coach is frustrated and been sure he can't blame him. I mean, everything that could have gone wrong in this season, at least from when Big twelve plays started did go wrong. I think it does bleed over to the players. So yeah, I definitely think that. I definitely think it's a correlation over there. I mean, you have a player like Anna Miller, who I do feel is a true leader of this team and definitely not a hot head by any means. I mean every time I post a uh a post game video interview with him, I mean even fans of other teams are just floored by how well spoken he is and how class he is. And this is the player that already got ejected now once but twice this season. And I just feel that if the Waters were calmer on a bench, as would be comrade.
Speaker 4: On the court, right right, And one last thing or another thing, he said, Bobby said, I don't know, a week or so ago they had been beat right. He goes in the locker room and says, they don't even want to hear from me. You know what can I tell him? Blah blah blah. You remember what I'm talking about. That was very strange.
Speaker 2: That was very strange to me because Bobby said that by his players.
Speaker 4: These players said that that they didn't want to hear from him anymore than what are they going to tell him? Is that accurate? And how did that come about?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I just think Bobby's somebody that, again going to what he said a second ago, very emotional, always wears his heart on his sleeve, and and he just probably knew, you know, probably even weeks before he made that statement on record that he just cannot get through to the players, he can't get them to play better. Yeah, again, there are some key injuries that to to keep in mind. I definitely don't want anybody to lose to lose sight of that. But I think that he felt, maybe even four or five weeks ago, he just cannot navigate this ship out of the rough waters. So that's one example where he was honest to a fault, you know, I mean, he can think it was after the last home game against by U, he talked about all those injuries or probably the universe trying to tell me something, and he said he's doesn't if he's gonna wake up tomorrow at the rate these things are going and if he does wake up, he doesn't know what bad news he's going to get, you know, when he does wake up, you know, So all those statements, you know, I mean, sure there's a lot of citizens and then sarcasm in it, but I think it just really just reflects the frustration that.
Speaker 4: That Bobby Hurley is having.
Speaker 7: And again going back to an earlier point, you know, when you have the players just seeing that upward frustration in public and I don't even talking about what's happening in the locker room behind close doors and practices, does everything is really compounding. So again, just a really really tough situation and a really tough environment that Bobby Hurley is trying to navigate through.
Speaker 3: Do you do you.
Speaker 2: See if Bobby is not if Bobby is dismissed from his job this year, do you see a place for Bobby in basketball?
Speaker 7: I mean, I think that there's definitely one team that would take a flyer on him. I definitely could see that. I mean, you know, obviously, when you have a coach coming off back to back losing seasons, you're not exactly.
Speaker 3: A hot commodity.
Speaker 7: But the Bobby Hurley name, I think in some circles and some airs of the country is going to carry more weight than others. I mean, would it be surprised if maybe a team from the East Coast, you know, close to his hometown of New Jersey, would want to take a chance on him. Would it be a mid major versus a high major? Yes, I think that would be fair to say in terms of in terms of a probable scenario. I mean, look, I mean, you know you know that sports is what have you done for me lately? And again, I mean when you talk about a coach that's coming off of a back to back losing season, your stock is it's not going to be that hot. I mean, that's not really any big revelation. But by me stating that, so, I think there's a place for Bobby Hurley. But I also think that it probably be a mid major, not a high major, and maybe again summer closer to the East Coast, where you know, his name does still carry a lot of weight. Obviously, you know, he comes from you know, you know, the basketball royalty, in terms of his dad being in the Hall of Fame, his brother winning up you know, back to back championships with Yukon, so I think that maybe the East Coast might be one area that might be more apt to hire Bobby Early compared to the rest of the country.
Speaker 4: So so last question, I know you you probably do your due diligence very well. If he's not there, I'm sure you have a short list already.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I short list rather not said on the phone on an interview, but yeah, I mean, I there are some candidates which which have expressed the you know, a desire in in the ac job. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a bad job at all, you know, I mean what is attractive about coming to issue for basketball?
Speaker 3: I mean, where's the attraction?
Speaker 7: Yeah, look, I think I think just uh, you know, really maybe a lot a lot of it is off the court, just living in a place, you know, like like Phoenix, like like Maricopa County, which is in an area that is very very attractive. You do have an NBA team in your backyard and in the in the Phoenix Suns. You know, the news just came out a couple of weeks ago James Harden, one of the most noble players in the n b A and the uh and the really uh high high dollar amount of nil that he contributes. I really do things as their practice facility, it's definitely one of the better ones among among high major programs. You know, you can talk about you know, there's a financial arena but being you know, you know, being antiquated, but you know, it's still not not a whole goal or not to play basketball in. And you know, like others said, it really is more about the NIL money rather than what kind of arena that that that them that you are playing. And you know, in a su being one of the biggest universities in the country, I think there's definitely some elements that go into ASU's favor. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that's the most desirable head coaching job that's going to open up over the next few weeks, but I definitely would put it in the top ten versus versus the top twenty, you know, in terms of the jobs that happen.
Speaker 3: Will open up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just real quick, I think they if they find the right guy, and maybe it doesn't happen this year, when I find the right guy, this team could or this program could really take off. I did up briefly with brief fader Feeder Fraider of Jesus Christ. Bill uh Uh it did for you know, a moment or two, ninety five, ninety six, whatever it was. Uh, they can they can happen. You know. I have a couple of names out there too that could fit perfectly here. But unless it happens, it happened.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, yeah, that is true. I mean I'll just drop, you know, a quick nugget and say that you definitely want to keep an eye on coaches.
Speaker 3: They do have ties to the Valley of the Sun, you know.
Speaker 7: Those I'm not saying they're shoeings to replace Bobby Hurley. And again, and I'm not here also to suggest the decision was already made, But I just feel that that's that's the current uh that is taking place right down to MP. I think that's that's something fair to say. But yeah, I would say that any uh uh current head coach of another team that does have ties to the valley, if you're looking to make uh some kind of hot list, uh, you know, on a piece of paper, those are definitely probably the names that you want to look at.
Speaker 4: Nice I'm gonna google it right now. Thank you man, thank you, good luck. So appreciate it. Yeah, I still think there's the New Mexico coach Rich Bettino. Rich doing very well. And there's a guy you at Mississippi State. He was at New Mexico State. Killed it there. Now I was doing pretty well in Mississippi State. Heck of a coach, because if you can win in New Mexico State, you should win there. You could win. Thank you. Okay, we hold that up. We got to take a break and we'll come back for the last ten minutes. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Hey wilk at Nation.
Speaker 6: Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team over at Arizona Health Insiders. I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for a lesson two hundred dollars a month. If you want want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four AH three five five one four four four four ah three five five one four.
Speaker 11: Four four what's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you.
Speaker 2: Learn how at Pima dot Edu.
Speaker 3: Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 4: Tucson, Steve Rivera here and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roofed, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save Call them today. Score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency.
Speaker 3: You're always in good hands.
Speaker 4: Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Nord Campbell or colum At five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 14: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 2: Leading and exercise equipment on twenty.
Speaker 10: Second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 16: At Pyramid Federal Grandit Union. We believe less is more. Let's pies mean more money in your pocket. Less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future Pyramids lessons. More Philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two Sound Spectrum PAIRMIT Federal CRDIT Union, where less is more generally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera, he's got his eye on the ball on Tucson sports station Fox Sports fourteen fifth day.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back to the bar here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You're Lamont Hunley. Got Kobe with the directions over there handling the phone calls if you always want to call. We're trying to solve the world's problems. I can't even solve my own. But you know, I'm sure you're looking forward to again. Anything interesting that Hot said about ASU Did you already know you? You you you came here right? What was their what was their image back in the day in basketball? No, no, no, football?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean everybody, when you think about when you talk about the state of Arizona, it was a sup before. I mean, they were the the team in the state of Arizona.
Speaker 4: We were not.
Speaker 2: We was always the step How was that being the step child, Well, it motivated us to kick their butts, you know, and rename that, you know, become you know, not the step child to that school. Okay, so now now for most of the part it was kind of like an even step child after all that, because you went on the street, right, they've.
Speaker 3: Took it around. I think I think we took it, took it over over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then and they did, they came back back, you know, always just lost my train of thought, which is not a surprise. But you would think you would think in the population you know that school is in would kill it, that it should be much better than particularly basketball, you know, because you have sports, well all sports, you absolutely, but but basketball should be like a dream place, dream place for for kids to come to and a coach.
Speaker 3: To be that.
Speaker 4: We've always said it's a sleeping giant. They just having a weekend or whatever. Uh So the push ourselves, having your little brother blah blah blah. Uh And now it's obviously kind of even in a lot of different ways. It's for basketball, for basketball. Yeah, I was gonna.
Speaker 2: Ask me softball. It used to be softball one time. Yeah, yeah, no jealousy from your ends. No, no, none, whatsoever. I mean I'm so past that. Yeah, yeah, you know, I mean if I was in the meat of it, i'd probably be a little jealous.
Speaker 3: But I'm so past that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not at all so but but but it's gonna be interesting to see if there's some changes up there and how they're gonna, you know, deal with those changes. Right well, to your point, I was gonna ask you, okay, you asked them about just the facility and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: They've never really put that money money into it. I have no idea they're gonna start now with a new ad. They're gonna start kind of doing that stuff. You built a hockey facility, which is strange, strange, Yeah, exactly, beautiful hockey facility. Yeah, I mean you put money, they're pretty good football stadium, which is one of the best football stadiums, and you still got a nice outdoor turn and just recently I think they got lightning in a bottle with doing how right they're doing exactly what was one that did for that one year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had a good year. Right now we're got to see now we're gonna see trying to continue exactly instead, So he that that one good year?
Speaker 3: Is it that twelve and one year?
Speaker 4: Right? Okay?
Speaker 2: And then you get back to where you normally are, so you know it's but but.
Speaker 3: Again it baffles me.
Speaker 2: With the population up there and the opportunity to to get kids to that that community, why not.
Speaker 3: Well, the funny thing is.
Speaker 4: You asked him, and I think the world the uote about what's the what's the uh what what is it about it? Right? And he brought up, well, you have Phoenix, it's a metro, you have the sons, and blah blah blah. I think the sons are.
Speaker 2: Against you because this competitions competition, right, whether you live in Phoenix from scott Still or whatever, and you have to come down to the school to coach.
Speaker 4: There's plenty of places in tenp It's a nice place. It's a it's a huge place.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Also where it goes against them too? Is it too big? You know, you got you got families and kids that don't want to be in that big population.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: I mean me personally, I hate for you. I mean I can't deal with the traffic. I can't deal with you know, getting around and you know you go out, you gotta wait in the line for an hour before you go in the place. I mean, you really can't plan a uh you know, Friday afternoon date because you never get on it.
Speaker 4: And you're right now. It's all the little pockets. You know. Well you you living Masa. You got to get to Glendale AND's and now it's like traveling to right and some people like it. You know, it's a great place to visit. From my end, also, that's it. But we'll see what happens. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to a great game, good get good game, and an exciting game, a fun game. And you know, I think I think it's it's going to end up that way. How long have you had those tickets, those tickets that I said at it's it's.
Speaker 3: We had those. We've been there for so you kind of still knew there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna ask you who your favorite coaches to to watch and to listen to at that spot.
Speaker 4: Maybe Oregon State's big cool guy.
Speaker 1: The.
Speaker 4: Organs.
Speaker 2: You know, Actually I like the Utah coach they got fired, Cristo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that cat was. I mean I really liked.
Speaker 4: That you weren't there like for the Bibby's and for the ravelings.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, actually I had tickets behind the team for that further up, okay, which team, don't team? Our team. It's like ten rolls up, you know. But then we moved over to the middle, to the middle, to the right side. But it's gonna be interesting. Like I said, man, there's a couple of people that say, you know, exactly purposely they're there for that reason. I think they're just to just the you know, hammer on the.
Speaker 4: Days to get along. They've been there for a long time.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, it's just so comical to listen to you. Were you there when they hit the last shot two years ago? The last shot and they wanted the last second the shoe game. Yeah, so they hits the last second.
Speaker 4: Cambridge hits last I had and Bobby was excited and then he started and then he came back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he came back and they got after him. They got after him in the corner there and it's right by the student section too. That's make it even worse. And Bobby, his son was on that ye oh, you know he's a senior this year. Yeah, okay, so he's on the team this year. Yeah, because his son was on the team. And I remember they was getting at their son in that corner there and stuff. And then you know, and then they have these the reserve seats in the due corner there to right of me for the s U fans, family and ads.
Speaker 4: And let me ask you a question. You can answer it however you want. Obviously, what did you think of the b y U stuff and the chanting of the kids and just the bad language.
Speaker 2: Well, and I don't think it's a place for it, but you know, we can't control young kids. I mean, I mean, these kids are gonna think the way they want to think, and they're gonna say what they want to say, you know. But you know, at times there's not a place, particularly you know, with a university like that, and when you talk about something that's to me that's religious or or personal or racial anything like that, there's no place for it, you know. So I I I hope these kids learn from that and they grow from that, you know, and and and and not let it be you know, part of their they're they're.
Speaker 3: Chanting that they do right? Right, No, I think it wasn't right. It wasn't there right.
Speaker 4: We talked about it before, right, No, I wasn't there.
Speaker 3: But you were. If you were there, what, Oh, not a chance? My friends were so but you you.
Speaker 4: Would did say that you weren't surprised. No, because of the because of who they are.
Speaker 5: During the duke game, there's like chance about do some players. So I wasn't that surprised. But is it a certain group? No, I would say it's everyone.
Speaker 3: It is everyone once.
Speaker 2: They just just pick it up on what the one person may be saying, or individual a small group may be saying.
Speaker 3: Well, if you drinks in them, okay, and it leads to that, yeah, are they aren't they students?
Speaker 4: Yeah? But they Yeah, they can still drink.
Speaker 2: When school drinking any of the I remember that twenty one now right? If I'm yeah, okay, so he's on twenty he doesn't drink.
Speaker 3: Of course, of course, that baby face he doesn't. I can see.
Speaker 4: I can see. He said you're not going tonight?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 3: No, I didn't get tickets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it sold out. Are you gonna stay up for it at home? Yeah?
Speaker 14: Oh yeah?
Speaker 4: Are you gonna watch it? Did either study algebra or to watch the game?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You're watching on that big screen TV at your house Oh yeah, all right, you're paying him.
Speaker 3: Well, he got a big streme. He's part of a frat. They get the got two TVs. Oh okay, yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: Well, like I said, I'm I'm just excited to see you know, uh Bobby's reaction, you know, the whole game, and and and then and like say, at the end of the game, will they shake hands?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure they will.
Speaker 4: He apologized later on maybe a day or two, literally calling I guess they talked to me.
Speaker 3: Oh, he pobed directly to Tommy. Tommy, Yeah, and they that night. I think.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you, how after a discussion what we talked the good points in about points of this team, how far are they gonna go.
Speaker 2: Our basketball team in the tournament, in the big tournament. God, it's you.
Speaker 3: Know what, you know what I think.
Speaker 2: I think playing in the in the Big twelve, it's going to allow us to advance a few games that we probably would not advance if we did not play the type of opponents we played last year. And I think because it was a more physical season for us, you know, I think it put us in the situation where we will be prepared, you know, for you know, games that we lost in the past year. So with that in mind, I can see ourselves at least advancing, you know, three games.
Speaker 4: Oh really, I get you to the lead.
Speaker 3: Well depends on who were playing.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 2: So if they get to the sweet sixteen, good season. Good season today, very good season. So you're gonna miss the I always see you in Vegas. Yeah, man, I hate that. I I I really enjoyed going. Actually I'm going to Vegas Thursday for a trade show, and this would be the week, you know, because next week would be the Pac twelve tournament. But yeah, I mean it's actually it was. It was more of a family thing with us. You know, my brothers, my daughters would go, my wife wouldn't go, My brothers, my daughter, we all meet up there. My young my oldest daughters her birthday during that week that time. So we just made a little fun thing, family thing. And yeah, but we're gonna miss that. And I can't see myself going back to Kansas.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, it's too much. Too much.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, thank you for being with me, Thanks for having me. I'll have to call you three days.
Speaker 2: To call me three days and just DM me bro check my schedule okay, thanks Kobe, thank you,