Speaker 1: Welcome to Big for Society. If you have BIGFOD activity to report from the same areas discussed in this episode, please reach out to me directly after this episode. And if you'd like to be on the podcast to discuss a personal Bigfoot encounter, please reach out to me directly at Big for Society at gmail dot com. Do you wish there was more Big for Society to listen to you every week? Well there is now. If you become a supporting member over at Patreon, you get a special members only episode every single week on Wednesdays, and sometimes even more episodes. Head on over to Patreon dot com. Forward slash the Big for Society and now let's get on with the show. All right, Big for Society. I've got the privilege of talking to Dan today. He reached out to me and I was curious if you would be able to share some things that he experienced, and I said, yeah, absolutely, let's chat about it and Dan, I hope all is going well. I'm gonna pass it on right over to you and feel free to share what's going on.
Speaker 2: Brother, All right, thank you.
Speaker 3: So this was a twenty twenty one Elk hunting season. I didn't draw my usual tag in in central Idaho where I grew up. Usually we hunt in the frank Kirch Wilderness, but didn't draw early enough.
Speaker 2: I'm out of state now, I live.
Speaker 3: In Washington, so closest best choice was up in the Panhandle of Idaho, so we got our tags there. My dad headed out about half a week early before opening day. I still had to finish up work for the week, and he wanted to scout. Turns out he had actually fought on a wild He was a wildland firefighter for most of his life and he had been up there, so.
Speaker 2: He knew it. I hadn't, even though I grew up in Idaho.
Speaker 3: North Idaho was like a different state to us, So I got up there a couple of days before opening season. He met me at the base of the mountain and we just started winding our way up. It was about a two hour drive just to get to the top of this ridge line, and then from there just trying to find a spot to a flat spot. That's something you'll probably hear me say over and over. This was probably the most brutal terrain I've hunted in, and I've been hunting my entire life, straight up and straight down. It was just horrible, heavily wooded. So we just started driving along ridge lines trying to find a flat spot where we could fit both of our pickups and establish a base camp. And we eventually did pretty much hit the end of the road on this one ridge line, found a spot set up base camp. Since we were still about a day out at that point from opening day, this we're chilling scouting around a little bit. It was pretty much the only time we saw people up on that mountain. A lot of locals driving around with their kids on side by sides, four wheelers, whatnot, and what was funny. Later on, my dad and I actually commented to each other. We ran into some locals and they asked, Hey, those are your pickups up at such and such spot? And we said yeah, and they said, are you guys gonna hunt up here? And this is what's weird. I talked to least three hunters separate from my dad, and he talked to three or four others. All of them chuckled and said, you got the place to yourself.
Speaker 2: No one hunts up on that mountain anyways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, have fun, And we thought, hey, great, we don't do the road hunting thing not that's a problem if people are driving around and just looking that way. It's just we I didn't grow up that way. The frank Church Wilderness. It's one road in, one road out, and it's actually illegal to even drive a bicycle off of the main If you can call at a road, we just get out there and hook it. Put in a lot of mileage scouting. So we thought that was great. So opening day comes as predicted, horrible weather. This is the first week in October. Way up north. Sleep all day the first day from six am to six pm. Then it turned to snow, but we just we struck out in different directions. That's how we hunt. We don't hunt together. It's been that way since I was probably eleven years old. We go one way, Dad goes another way. We meet back at the truck or base camp at dark. First day awful. Second day awful because it snowed, and then around the third day it was sunny and clear, not a cloud in the sky. We were at base camp to staying in our trucks. It was just too awful weather. I wasn't gonna biv a whack out on the side of that mountain.
Speaker 2: It was horrible. So I went east.
Speaker 3: I went west along the ridge line pretty much hit a dead end pretty quick. There's this massive rock formation that goes from the top of the mountain all the way to the bottom, and it's impassable by foot.
Speaker 2: So I started going.
Speaker 3: South a little bit, ended up coming back by base camp and it was roughly noon twelve thirty and decided I'd been all over the southwest portion of that mountain the previous two days, so let's just head.
Speaker 2: South by southeast.
Speaker 3: I knew my dad was due east on the ridge line, so I wasn't worried about bumping into him or anything. I'm just winding my way down this slope, and up to this point I had seen two deer and they were mule's actually up there instead of white tail.
Speaker 2: But nothing else.
Speaker 3: No spoor, no track, no game trails, nothing. So as I'm winding down this ridge, I come across the first or no, I'm sorry, ridge slope. I come across the first game trail i'd seen, and I got pretty excited because that meant there at least that animals across that awful mountain.
Speaker 2: So I start following it about southeast.
Speaker 3: So heading down the slope, a little bit and came into an area that was a little bit open, and I could see down below south of me there was actually some open grassy areas.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't call them meadows, maybe clearings.
Speaker 3: And that got me even more excited, because that's a place elk would be grazing around on or dusk. And at this point it's close to one o'clock and I'm thinking, Okay, if I get down there and I keep going, that means I have to go up this mountain in the dark, and there's grizzly and stuff up there.
Speaker 2: I wasn't too worried about them there. We were pretty high up.
Speaker 3: But still I just figured, you know what, let's follow this game trail to start. And I'd been standing there, I don't know, five ten minutes, just looking down and looking to the game trail, which went actually east by northeast, so back up the mountain a little bit, which was more or less the direction I wanted to head towards the last half of the day. And I'm just standing there and I could see all the way. There's a break in the tree, so I could see these grassy areas and they went in steps, and I just made a note to myself, Hey, i'll come back tomorrow. Hit it early, get down there and see get down there before even daylight and lay up somewhere. But I decided today I'm gonna follow this game trail and I turned, had only gone a few steps, and I hear these five distinct knocks, And the best way I could describe them, it's if you spelled it out in a comic book. Thok fuck, just five evenly spaced fuck. And it was coming directly from one of those. What I could tell at first probably the furthest clearing somewhere down there. And I remember stopping and looking and going, what is someone doing down there? Beating on a tree? There's no people up here. This is horrible terrain that we haven't seen anybody in a couple of days.
Speaker 2: And I just thought, okay, yeah, whatever, that's weird.
Speaker 3: I don't know sound carries, but sure sounds like it was about two hundred and fifty three hundred yards down slope, and I thought, I don't know what to do, but times daylight's burning, I'm gonna leave.
Speaker 2: And so I was.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna keep falling the trail, and then I hear two more fuck fuck, and they're from the same relative positions. I was like, Okay, you know what, I haven't seen anything.
Speaker 2: This sounds weird. Let's go see what's going on. And at this.
Speaker 3: Point I was just thinking that if these are people, what would they be doing down there. This doesn't sound like someone cutting wood. It just sounds like someone taking a big chunk of wood and just whacking it on a tree. I'm like, this doesn't make any sense, but all right, let's go find out what it is. I'm bored, so I start going down the slope and like I said, it would go in steps, so slope down and then hit a little bit of grass. In that first little catch, I actually saw elk sign. It was a little bit old, but it was there, and I stopped because I'm trying to listen for additional sounds. I'm looking down there to see if there's movement, and it's just still absolutely still calm day the only day up there that was even remotely like that. Hardly even a blade of grass was moving. And I went through that same thought process, what the heck is this? I should probably just turn around and go back up slope. So probably five minutes went by, because I'm looking and listening, and then whack.
Speaker 2: I hear it again.
Speaker 3: So now I'm like, Okay, now I have to go figure out what's doing this. So my brain switched from this might be a person down there doing who knows what to I don't know what type of animal I've hunted in the Pacific Northwest my whole life. What animal could do that? But I thought, that's the only thing that makes sense at this point. I can't imagine a person somehow getting up on this mountain not being visible to us on the only road, which we were at the terminal point of that road, And what would they be doing down there doing something like that.
Speaker 2: It just didn't make sense. So I'm going through animals.
Speaker 3: Maybe a bear's messing with a log, maybe something's kicking a tree, whatever, I'm gonna find out. So I start walking down again, and I'm stopping frequently. I had gone into stalking modes. So I'm walking very quietly, trying not to even break the crust on the snow, that little skiff of snow too much, and listening.
Speaker 2: I hear nothing. The wind's not blowing.
Speaker 3: I started thinking, maybe it's a tree that's bumping into another tree, but I would stop and look in a slight breeze, maybe five mile an hour breeze would come up, but hardly enough to even wiggle, like I said, grass, So okay, that's weird, that's not it. But I'm not hearing anything. So I'm like I, once again, maybe I should just turn around for a gain this happened and come back tomorrow.
Speaker 2: And then I get another single knock.
Speaker 3: Okay, whatever it is, it's still down there doing whatever it's doing.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna keep going.
Speaker 3: And this repeats itself again, and I get a third knock, and I'm repeating the same process. I started moving so quietly and slowly because I wanted I started getting this weird feeling that these knocks were only coming when I was stopped, and that didn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: But I wasn't hearing them while I was walking.
Speaker 3: And once again, this whole distance was about two hundred and fifty maybe three hundred yards, And this whole time me closing on where I thought the sound was coming from ended up being about fifty minutes. So you can see that I wasn't rushing and bashing through trees and obscuring any sound.
Speaker 2: I'm listening and.
Speaker 3: It I I'd never heard that sound until I had been stopped for minutes, and then I would get a single sound and that would keep me going. And by the time I had gotten the fourth knock and it once again disrepeated itself like that whole pattern. I was now getting down off the slope and into level ground towards that grassy area. And now I'm probably fifty fifty sixty yards out from this grassy area, and at the end of it was basically a wall of young trees of different height. And as I got I heard that last single fourth knock, it really sounded to me like it was coming from somewhere behind that screen of trees. Okay, it's totally obscured for me. What's behind there's a I'm like, Oka, right, I guess I'm gonna have to go right up to it and figure out.
Speaker 2: What this is.
Speaker 3: Somehow, I'm level, I'm walking, and to my right there's this little I describe it as a long halfpipe in the ground.
Speaker 2: It's just it.
Speaker 3: If it was runoff, boy, it cut a nice smooth little gulch there. But I knew that in order to get into this clearing, I'd have to cross that, and once I crossed that, all the trees that I thought I was using as cover there was intermittent trees that I was trying to move behind a little bit because.
Speaker 2: My thinking is, oh, I'm gonna sneak up on.
Speaker 3: Some animal doing something weird, so let's be quiet and see what it's doing and how it's making that sound.
Speaker 2: And I'm getting closer.
Speaker 3: And when I reached the edge of that little dip in the ground, I stopped and go, Okay, once you cross this, you are now in the clearing and you're out in the wide open, so if something's back there, it can possibly see you. So I'm just okay, getting ready, had my rifle to my not up, but it'll low ready, so but stuck in my shoulder, muzzle down towards the ground, and I take a deep breath.
Speaker 2: I'm like, all right, here we go.
Speaker 1: Bigs A society will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 3: And right as I'm about to do that comes I can only describe it like a slow rate of fire machine gun, but it's the deep wood knocks just boom, is fast like a machine gun, and but loud, deep, not like a stick cracking against a tree, but the same deep, thick sounding knocks, but just like rapid fire. And I just was like, what the is going on here? And I'm like, okay, and I remember saying this in my head. I'm like, it's definitely behind those trees, because that's where that sound came from.
Speaker 2: And so I'm like, all right, oh boy.
Speaker 3: And now I'm getting a little nervous because I'm like, I can't see into those trees, so maybe I should skirt out into this clearing and work my way around.
Speaker 2: The trees went in a.
Speaker 3: Imagine a capital j and I was below the foot of the jay, and the trees arked around, and I thought, okay, I'll loop around and just keep some distance from these trees in case some animal comes back out at me. So take a deep breath, get the rifle Steady wants to get knock pointing it. Those rules of gun safety. I've been handling guns since I was four. I didn't have a target, I didn't know what was back there. I'm not going to point my firearm at anything. Take a deep breath, and I step out in the open. And it was like I made it maybe two three steps, and this thing I tried describing it to someone else, it was like having a bomb go off right in front of me.
Speaker 2: This thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that was swinging, but it must have been picked up a small tree, and just the force and violence behind this was just a kaboom. It just smashed into I don't know, it floored me. I literally, if someone could have caught me on video, I just stumbled backwards, almost tripped and fell over. I've got all my gear on my back, my rifle slung in, and I just staggered back in shock, and I look up and it all I could see was the chest up and it. Let me tell you, when I told this, I didn't tell my wife this for a year. I even told a YouTube channel about this, but I left out this part because I could. I'll tell you what happened afterwards, but it'll explain it. I when I looked up, because I staggered back, I'm looking at my feet tripping over grass, and all I can see is this massive shoulders neck head and this thing's just standing squared off to me, just glit, just looking down at me.
Speaker 2: What people would say, looking down your nose.
Speaker 3: And this is how I told people this story. I heard this massive explosive smash, and then it's like film reels of my brain got cut out, and I don't remember what happened except for what I did next, which was I see this thing maybe for one thousand and one, one thousand and two, maybe three, probably not more like two seconds, and I get off the X it's looking right at me. I take a diagonal out into the middle of that clearing. Then i'd bring my rifle up to my shoulder and I start out rifle pointed right at that tree I had. I had the scope at one power. I was hunting with an AR ten you know, chamber in three oh eight, and I'm backing up in. Every single fiber of my being is just screaming to run. I knew not to do that, But there's this other This is what chokes me up. Is there's that part of me, this an experienced hunter, that says, don't run, don't turn your back on it. The other part is like this little kid sitting in a corner in a ball going, this gun's not going to be enough.
Speaker 2: You're not going to be able to stop it before it gets you.
Speaker 3: And when I told that to someone else, they said, yeah, that's the the fear talking.
Speaker 2: That's a three oh eight. It's a powerful rifle.
Speaker 3: You're hunting elk with it, right, And I'm like, I know the capability of that round.
Speaker 2: That's what scares me is I could kill it.
Speaker 3: I was talking about stopping it, not killing it.
Speaker 2: Like a bear charge.
Speaker 3: You can kill it, but then it's got a whole minute to kill you.
Speaker 2: I meant stop it.
Speaker 3: Whether that minute died right instantly or it died thirty minutes later. I wasn't sure if maybe if I got all talent ten rounds in that mag into it and then switched mags, which I had a spare on my belt, maybe that would have. But at this point we're thirty five yards apart and I'm backing up, so I'm creating distance. What I'm trying to say that was the part of my brain that I didn't think about any of that. I've I've trained with firearms a lot and done some of that stuff. So I'm just thinking I need distance because if it comes barreling out of those trees at me, I need time to get rounds on it, enough rounds hopefully to stop it. And but there's that little part, there's that little kid in terror just going. It's not gonna it's not gonna work. It's not gonna be enough gun. And right when I'm just at that breaking point, I make a decision that I do need distance and I need to create it quickly. But I can't just turn my back and run. So I made the decision as I'm backing up, I'm gonna turn, I'm gonna lunge like three steps how many yards that is, I'm gonna lunge, and then I'm gonna pivot back, bring my rifle up back, and then rinse and repeat until I got to the mountain slope just enough time to create a gap, but not turn my back long enough that if it comes out that I'm not gonna be just have this thing on me. And I got to the slope and just man, I just I went as hard as I physically could. I thank god I trained so hard for these hunts because this I just went straight up, just crashing through stuff. But I still told myself, you have to stop. Let's double the distance whatever that is, double what you thought you were doing in the clearing. Every twenty feet or so, pivot, put that rifle down range to make sure it's not right on your button coming. I did that repeatedly up this mountain. Probably took me about half an hour to get up to the top. And when I saw that road, man, I just saw this weird flat spot in front of me as my nose is almost touching the slope in front of.
Speaker 2: Me, and it was the road.
Speaker 3: And I hit that road, went crashing into the embankment on the other side, pivoted, put the rifle between my legs, and sat there just waiting for something, this head, to this huge head to come popping up over the edge of the road, and just and I it didn't. And I never heard a single sound ever again after that. I was so I was so shook up. I was less than a quarter mile from our trucks, and I didn't I couldn't figure out what to do. And I looked down in the snow that was left, and I saw my dad's bootprints from the day before. I'm forty at the time, I was forty years old, and I'd still hey, Dad, Dad got me out of here. I followed him his bootsteps back to camp, got in my truck, grabbed the large revolver I normally carry in bear country, stuffed my ar ten and the passenger side and just broke down.
Speaker 2: I couldn't start my truck.
Speaker 3: I was shaking so badly, just tears and and everything running into my beard. I was just I finally got the truck started and turned the heat on because I was shaking so badly.
Speaker 2: I thought I was going into shock.
Speaker 3: And and I just sat there and I feel like a coward, waited for my wait until my dad got back to camp and we ate dinner. I didn't say a word. He probably thought I was just tired, grumpy and went to sleep. And I stayed up all night in my truck holding that revolver with the rifle nearby, just I don't know, waiting to see if you would this thing would show up. And by morning I was so exhausted. I was then angry, and I was like, you know what, I'm gonna strap on this revolver, get my spare moon clips, grab my ten milimeter, put that on my.
Speaker 2: Hip, grab extra mags, and I'm gonna go back down there. I wasn't. It was just stupid.
Speaker 3: That lasted about thirty seconds, and then we ate breakfast and my dad asked me, He.
Speaker 2: Said, how was it down that slope? Yesterday.
Speaker 3: I said, that's not worth it, It's not worth the time. He said, all right, let's just follow this ridge line. And we stuck to the ridge line. And I stayed out there another nine eight nine days. Didn't say a word, you know, to anybody for a long time, other than telling the story minus what I saw. It wasn't till much later that I didn't know what was going on in my brain. Why I could tell this story, why I would talk about it.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 3: I work in the medical field, but I don't understand that trauma and psych stuff, and I just didn't realize what was going on until you know, nightmares, Uh, just daytime. I'd be out working in the yard and just something would spark my memory and I would just tears would just start running out of my eyes and start shaking, and it just messed. And you know, like I said, I didn't tell my wife. I started drinking more just to get to sleep, just shut down. Not all the time, but enough. And she told me much later, She said, one night, when I asked you when you kept when you told me you didn't think you could kill it, And I asked you, what did you see? And you started telling me and then you stopped and said, nope, I didn't see anything.
Speaker 2: I didn't see anything.
Speaker 3: And then a year later to almost to the day, we're walking around looking at Halloween decorations in our neighborhood and someone had one of those ten foot tall skeletons out there in their yard and we were looking. I said, that's about how tall that thing was. And she looked at me and she goes, wait, what do you She's like, that is that's what you saw? I said, I didn't see a ten foot tall skeleton. I said, but it was about that tall. And she just looked at me, like, what is wrong with you? Why didn't you tell me this before? And I said, I literally couldn't. I could not get it out. I was maybe my conscious brain was afraid of even talking to people who have YouTube channels that talk about sasquatch, that it's all just a farce and I'm just going to be made fun of and ridiculed.
Speaker 2: And the other part was deeper than that.
Speaker 3: It was like, if you say out loud what you saw, now, it really does exist, and you have to accept that that you've been out in the woods by yourself hunting for the most part your entire life, and this is there and it took just a lot of therapy and time and you know, quit any you know alcohol thing you got that out that wasn't helping anything one bit, and yeah, yeah, that's most of it. And to this bay, I wasn't a sasquatch guy before. I had listened to Wes Germer show a bit before, just because it happened across my feed, but which was ironic because I didn't have any other sasquatch stuff. It was actually it probably linked to a show that debunks this type of thing. I was into that stuff when I was a kid, but the Lockness Monster was my jam because I love sharks, so anything in the water was pretty cool. And I grew up in the Pacific Northwest. It's I would have seen a sasquatch by now, But yeah, I don't know what else to say. I gotta look at it.
Speaker 2: The thing that.
Speaker 3: Got me was, I don't understand the size of this thing. Don't think I'm exaggerating when I say ten foot, because we were both on level ground and I'd been staring at these trees a while, and in relation to me, I had a rough approximation that they were, you know, seven eight foot and this thing's chess what chest up was above these some of these trees that it was standing in.
Speaker 2: But just the size. The only way I.
Speaker 3: Guess I could compare it is if you've ever seen a cape buffalo or something like that, They're just a massive animal. I'm not saying this thing look like a bodybuild or anything.
Speaker 1: Big for society who will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 2: It was just a wall of meat and bone and hair. It was just so big.
Speaker 3: When it was standing obviously on two legs and glaring at me. The only thing I could see of its face. And once again I didn't look.
Speaker 2: At it very long.
Speaker 3: I deliberately I glanced and saw it and got this broad picture of it. I was not going to look that thing in the eyes, and like I said, I got out of its eye line of sight and into that meadow as quick as I could. But its skin, if that's what it was, its skin was must have been black, because it's I could just see a strip where I guess the nose is and most of the forehead, and then it just had like a beard and mustage, you know, fully, just like a bearded dude.
Speaker 2: All the way up to his cheek bones.
Speaker 3: The hair came down pretty far in its brow, so it wasn't a high forehead. But that's all I saw. I didn't see eyes, I didn't see lips. I tried not to fill in details and exaggerate. It was just like this black tea big beard hair. Its hair wasn't long and shaggy. It it looked dense, but not very long. And the coloration, I guess the only way I could comp is if you look at some older pine trees where they start to have a lot of grays in them, I guess that would be the predominant color gray, but with browns and charcoal colors.
Speaker 2: It was strange, but it was.
Speaker 3: It was like looking at a tree where there's a predominant color, but there's some other shades that are so subtly blended in that it almost you question, like, Okay, what color would I say?
Speaker 2: That is? He never made a sound.
Speaker 3: I usually say he because I could see most of the chest and it was just flat.
Speaker 2: But that's about it for that Dan.
Speaker 1: That's a wild, wild account, probably one of the more intense ones that I have heard. I can definitely see how it would have taken you a long time to get to the point to share that with people, for sure? Is it okay if I ask you some questions about that experience?
Speaker 2: Of course? Yeah? All right.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned already that there there were parts of it that you didn't look at for certain reasons. Are there details of the face that you were able to remember. I know you didn't look into the eyes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't think I could have seen the eyes anyways. I don't know if it was just heavy browed or recess sockets, but.
Speaker 2: It gets more or less look like just a massive human head.
Speaker 3: I didn't I could see the whole profile of it because it was in I guess the reason I could tell you the color is it was in such contrast to all those beautiful green, young trees that it was standing in the profile. As far as the head didn't look particularly conical. It just looked like a big human head covered in hair and a beard and mustache and just all the.
Speaker 2: Way up to his cheekbones.
Speaker 3: And I thought about it, you know, people I've listened to obviously your podcast and some other ones now and talking about the nose profile. I couldn't get that any real good profile. But it didn't seem overly broad, if that makes sense, just because that strip that I assumed was its black skin nose was didn't look like it was spread out across fairly narrow. As far as I told Brian king Sharp, I told him it looked like looking into a spartan helmet where you have the eyes cut out and then just that vertical line where the cheek guards come together. That's about what it was exposed on it. Other than his mouth was full beard. It's cold up there, so he was getting ready for winter. The warmest daytime temp I think was thirty three and that was that day. The rest of the time it was about twenty four during the day in about fourteen at night, so pretty chilly. But like I said, the size, though, that's that probably is what broke my brain more than seeing something that had a human profile just all of a sudden standing there in front of me. It just didn't make any sense how big it was and the breadth of its shoulders. I looked at my three quarter ton pickup when I got when I was aware enough to look at that, I'm like, this thing's shoulders are as wide as my tailgate. If not, I don't if it was standing in front of my truck, I don't it might overlap the hood as far as the width of its shoulders, and just so big and just dense, looking like I compare it to a Cape buffalo. It just looked like so much mass just right from that just that chest up it's It just seemed really preposterous, and and that's why my brain was going, I don't know if this gun is going to be enough to stop it, to break it down so it can't keep running and get me, because that's what I would have been going for, just like if a grizzly charges, Yeah, hopefully.
Speaker 2: You can get a headshot and shut it down right away.
Speaker 3: But the other option is you break its bone structure with big heavy bullets. And three oh eight is not a big heavy bullet.
Speaker 2: And I.
Speaker 3: Don't know how thick this thing was. But it just seemed this is all happening in an instant. And yes, I wasn't scared. This was stark terror. It's the only time in my life I thought wildland firefire grown up and have almost gotten burned over, and not once was I in terror. Yeah, maybe a little bit of adrenaline, but training kicks in this was just the only thing that got me through that was I've had the opportunity to train a lot. I'm not military, I'm not trying to be military or tactical, but I have trained with guys and done the whole shoot and scoot and fire and maneuver, just mainly for fun.
Speaker 2: I enjoy firearms.
Speaker 3: And when you can get out and do that with somebodies and just have a good time and just forget about everything else. But came in handy because I don't. I would have either stood there and then he would have decided me. That last knock or whatever you want to call it was obviously you need to leave and for it to show itself. And like I said, it was a guy in a bar, puffed up and just looking down at you, some big dude, like you need to it out of here. And I did, and maybe that's all it wanted. And it didn't come after me, no vocalizations, no further wood knocks. It was just over once I made that break for it. Never heard or saw anything the rest of the hunt. And I actually went back up there, not to that mountain, but the same area actually, as far as the crow is the crow flies, I was probably I went back to the following weekend because I still had some time. We didn't get any ELK, and my dad had to go back home, so I just jumped across the border again by myself. Got there at nine o'clock at night on the mountain and made base camp, and.
Speaker 2: But not on that ridge, and I never heard it.
Speaker 3: I hunted for another three days by myself in the lower areas below that mountain. I never heard or saw anything again. As far as that goes.
Speaker 1: So to me, that feels like you are almost in an area that you were not supposed to be, and it's just making sure that you didn't get any closer to whatever was going on in that area. That's what I'm taking from that so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the thing that's always hung me up is why did it keep knocking when if it had stopped I was leaving.
Speaker 2: Why did it keep.
Speaker 3: Knocking when I stopped and was hesitating about going further it? You know what, I sent an email to someone who's actually an ex girlfriend and I said, I just got out. I just survived in amb because that's when I was stumbling back on the road, I wasn't thinking of anything. But when I got in my truck and was finally felt somewhat safe. That's the one thing that went through my brain is this was a perfect kill zone. It was a funnel, trees on all sides except for that opening of grass. If I was a hunter, I would have been in those trees watching that meadow.
Speaker 2: Why didn't it just let me walk away?
Speaker 3: If it had stopped making those knocks or maybe it was a different one, I don't know. That's what's hung me up to this day. And a lot of people say, oh, they wouldn't do that, and they're not out to get you in. I was like, I'm not. If it was it would have had me. But what was it doing?
Speaker 2: Was this just?
Speaker 3: I don't think it's coincidence because if I had stopped and heard a knock once or twice, sure, but four times, and only when I stopped, I wasn't just standing there for a couple seconds.
Speaker 2: It could be five minutes, maybe a little bit more.
Speaker 3: And then only when I'm like, ah, this might not be worth my time. Fuck I hear it and it kept me going. It still could be the a coincidence. I'm not trying to make anything of it. That's just what my brain came to was I got lured into an ambush point and let go. I don't think if that's the case, I don't think I had anything to do with me as a person. I just happened to be a lone hunter out there, and maybe they're like, hey, let's see if we can make a chance with this one. He's by himself or not. Yeah, that's just an idea. None of us know.
Speaker 2: I don't even know when I was there.
Speaker 1: It's tricky because it would it have been a different story if you were an elk? Is that what they were waiting for is an elk to come down? There's all these things we don't know. Yeah, but from what you remember and from what you were able to see, how would you categorize what you saw? Would it be something maybe more human looking or ape looking, or just something that's not even in those two categories.
Speaker 2: I would lean more towards that, not not in either one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, a humanoid shape as far as bipedal shoulders, head, that's it. Even comparing it to a great epe like a gorilla or camp or something. It just didn't It didn't make any It doesn't. It just doesn't make any sense. They're not like, they're not that big and square shouldered and thick like it just yeah, it's hard. It's hard to even categorize it at all other than hey it Yeah, it had a human shaped up or towards so and I guess it was covered in hair. So I guess you could say that's like an eight, but that's it. You could say a hyena looks like a dog, and it's not. It looks a lot like one.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: And just to clarify, you'd said that you only saw things chest and up right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. These trees were so intermingled.
Speaker 3: They were pushing out from the main forest into that clearing and so there was a lot of younger ones interlaced, and so it was really dense. That's what was worrying me is I couldn't see anywhere. You couldn't see anything within that grove of trees at all passed. So it had I don't know if it must have if it was crouched or behind them and came forward a little bit.
Speaker 2: I think it must have been crouched. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Do you remember was there a smell around at that time? Were there any sounds in the forest around that time.
Speaker 2: No, it was pretty quiet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so interesting. Did you ever so this is after this all took place. Did you ever look into that area to see if there had been any other reported things happening related?
Speaker 2: No? I was done. Wow, I wanted like, I said, this is later.
Speaker 3: Once I finally this therapist who was a combat vet was the one who got me on the right track and said because I couldn't even spit it out to him, and he said, look, here's what I want you to do. Write it all down, the full story from when you left your house. I don't care if it takes you two months.
Speaker 2: To write this.
Speaker 3: Write every detail, put everything down, include what you're not wanting to tell me.
Speaker 2: And when I did that, it was like, okay.
Speaker 3: It took me about a week of setting that thing aside before I could describe that scene on paper. And then after that I could talk about it, but well, tell my wife at least.
Speaker 1: Big for society, who will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 2: But no, I was like, I don't want anything to do with this. I'm done.
Speaker 3: I swore that day. I was like, I'm never going hunting again. I'm not even all set foot in a city park.
Speaker 2: That's it. I'm not why that's runner around, But once again.
Speaker 3: For some reason, I went back the weekend after by myself at night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so no, I don't I apologize. I didn't look into anything.
Speaker 1: So the therapist then, I would guess read all what you wrote down. No, really, okay, he.
Speaker 3: Said, when you're done, I want you to go. I want you to go burn it. Wow if you can where this happened. And I haven't made it back there yet.
Speaker 1: So you still have that paper intact?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that something you think of? Where? Do you think you'll ever go back to that area and burn it? Or maybe not so much?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think I will, Plus I've had more time to think about it, and I don't know. I went the following year, spent two and a half weeks in the frank Kirk Wilderness. Didn't bother me one bit. I was up there by myself for days. My dad had to go back home to help my mom, and that was fine, no problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just might.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that this really affected you afterwards. You started to have dreams as well.
Speaker 3: You said, yeah, those night terrors I the worst though, which is fine, I dealt with that stuff before, leet prolysis and all that.
Speaker 2: I've had that really bad for over a decade. But the worst.
Speaker 3: Part was just being awaken. It's the middle of the day once again. This happened at one o'clock in the afternoon, and so it was broad daylight. I could just be all safe here in our home and just.
Speaker 2: This just.
Speaker 3: Wave of I don't know what would come over me and I would just start shaking and just involuntarily crying and just have to just do something or I yeah, I had no idea what was going on in my brain and tell it, you know, went south a little bit more. I just couldn't process it, and I obviously wasn't talking about it other than I could tell the rest of the story.
Speaker 2: It sounded good.
Speaker 3: It sounded almost like a cool hunting story where something weird happened. And I think that's what I was trying to do in my brain, is build up. If I tell a few people minus what I saw, because they'll think I'm crazy and.
Speaker 2: I will have to acknowledge what happened. Let's just tell the rest of it.
Speaker 3: I heard these crazy knocks, and who knows what happened, and yeah, it was fun, right, But in the meantime, it's just this ball of whatever just getting compressed tighter and tighter in me.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it was just something else.
Speaker 1: During the dreams. Were there any times when it felt like there was something trying to communicate you at all?
Speaker 2: No, I would either.
Speaker 3: I would catch a sleep prolysis moment of this just hulking black figure coming through the door. Or I would just wake up already sobbing and not know why, just feel scared, like a little kid, just scared, and I'd just get out of bed and leave, leave the bedroom. And I don't even remember most the dreams really, it was just that waking up and start care for no reason, just peer.
Speaker 2: Panic already fight or flight out of a dead sleep.
Speaker 1: And have you experienced other things, other strange things before this event, or was this the first time in your life where you've experienced something that was just out of the ordinary.
Speaker 3: Low boy, you'd have to ask that question. I haven't told anybody this. I don't know if I should tell you.
Speaker 2: But all right.
Speaker 3: Before that happened, I totally forgot about this even just because it was like whatever is it?
Speaker 2: Weird?
Speaker 3: Had no correlate I think this the event of that day wiped it out. But the first or second night on that mountain, we're sleeping in our trucks and it's just pitch black and dark, and I hear this low, this sound that is so low pitched that it hurts my ears. And I'd blown my ear drums out a few times shooting firearms, and but it just hurt and I could literally it's like I couldn't hear it, but I could put my hand against my truck, and this up on this remote black mountaintop with really not much of a road and nothing else around us south of us, there's not trails, there's nothing. It's just national forest wilderness, like awful terrain in this sound. I started it physically hurt my ear and I was like, I need to go to sleep.
Speaker 2: What is doing this?
Speaker 3: So I was trying to mash my ears against my sleeping bag and it just kept going, and I started listening to it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, this has a rhythm to it. What is going on here? And it was.
Speaker 3: I would look at my watch and I could time the peaks and valleys. It was very almost in its repetition, mechanical, but it was so low that it just it really hurt my ears. At one point I even rolled the window down put my phone out with a voice recorder. So I'm like, I got to catch whatever this is. I brought it back in and turned it on. I turned it, I checked it. Then I couldn't hear anything because of that weird sound.
Speaker 2: But later on.
Speaker 3: I played it and no sound came out, but the peaks and valleys, the jumps, and just the timing of those reverberations showed on my phone on.
Speaker 2: The voice recorder. And this kept happen.
Speaker 3: This went on for over an hour and a half, and at one point this small plane, and this is the middle of the night, comes flying, comes over really low, and I was so tired and getting a little i don't.
Speaker 2: Know, like worried. I'm like, this is really bizarre.
Speaker 3: This sounds like it's coming from one exact direction, which was west of me, because I could plug my ear facing it and hear nothing. But then when I took it away and I faced that direction, I could just feel that kind of someone has base in their car and their blocks away. But this plane came over and I thought, oh, maybe that'll make it shut up. I was so tired and exhausted anyways, and sure enough, this plane comes over pretty darn low and the sound stops and I'm like, oh, thank goodness. And ten minutes goes by and I'm like, oh, I'm falling asleep. And then it starts back up, but quicker. The beat is quicker, just this deep hum and it just starts picking up pace and I'm like, oh no, and it's scary because there's nothing else around. I'm like, what is making this is so bizarre. And I got out of my truck once i flipped from scared to mad again. I'm not my truck, and I'm like, all right, if something's gonna kill me right now, or come out of the woods. And I could still hear it, but and it was coming from one direction. Obvious, just based on how I turned. You can triangulate that sound. In the morning, I didn't really sleep. We got up about four o'clock and my dad crawled out of his truck and I said, how did you sleep last night with that sound?
Speaker 2: And he said, what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: And I said that like super deep, vibrating, weird bass sound that went on for a two plus, you know, over two hours.
Speaker 2: You didn't feel or hear that. He's like hearing. He's not so good anymore. So Nope.
Speaker 3: I went, Okay, that's weird, and then went about our day and never really thought much of it.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: Did it affect you in any other parts beside your ears?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, that is really weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I was like, maybe it's a I don't know, some distant mining operation or something.
Speaker 2: We're up in the woods.
Speaker 3: It maybe it is something mechanical and just by the nature of how sound carries and chrisp high cold air, I don't know, but that was weird.
Speaker 2: It's funny you asked that.
Speaker 3: Because I mentioned that to my kid the other day, and of course he had all kinds of speculation and thoughts about it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, there's all sorts of stuff. Is it? Could it be an infrasound thing? Hard to say. Did you ever experience any strange lights when you're up there?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: And did you hear any other sounds that just did not seem to fit the area that you were in?
Speaker 2: No other than that running into.
Speaker 3: A monster sized sasquatch. The rest of the hunting was pretty chill. Had a moose break cover right in front of me, almost run me over, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's lots of food up there. There's more. I saw more moose in that location, I have my whole life.
Speaker 1: And that alone is a good piece of information too, because that's a huge food source. And if you're saying there's tons of it up there, there's another piece of evidence. Could Yeah, these creatures could definitely be sustained in that region due to the huge food source, besides the fact that you saw it with your two eyes, which is that's number one piece of evidence right there.
Speaker 3: But yeah, there's lots of food, lots of protein up there. There's wolf ran into some wolfires, black and grizzly bear, a lot of white tail. I saw a few mealle's the moose. I just couldn't believe how much not only moose signed but having them just run across the roads that was lower down. We dropped off of that mountain after. Coincidentally, the day after the day after that happened, we primarily hunted low because well, a I was happy too. I didn't say anything, but there was no ant. There just wasn't enough animal up there at that time of year. But no, pretty pretty mellow outside that.
Speaker 1: Do you still have that audio you recorded that night.
Speaker 3: I don't think I do, other than it had those perfectly timed blips and no audible sound to it.
Speaker 2: I was just like, what am I going to do with this? That was weird? I just wrote it all off as right. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Did you record any audio or video during the time of the encounter or in the same time of day.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I probably have some pictures random things, but no, usually this, I don't even carry my cell phone with me.
Speaker 2: There's no reception up there.
Speaker 1: So you didn't have a cell phone with you at the time of the encounter.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, it was in my truck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, interesting, I'll.
Speaker 3: Probably break it if I carry it with me in too. It's just yeah, I guess other pictures it's worthless up there.
Speaker 1: Did you Did you have any other electronics with you?
Speaker 2: Not on my person?
Speaker 1: Hmm, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: I did. I take that back?
Speaker 3: My dad and I carry two way radios, but I probably had that turned all the way down.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure I did.
Speaker 3: If I if one of us suspects that there's an animal close and we need to go into kind of stalking mode where well I will shut them down.
Speaker 1: Gotcha?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Makes sense. So back to a previous question, Let's say, before this hunting expedition in your life, were there any other strange things that you experienced besides all.
Speaker 3: Of this, I've had some odd occurrences hunting that I even then, this is way before that happened, that I still thought it was weird.
Speaker 2: Do you want me to describe that at all?
Speaker 1: So sometimes it can be interesting. There can be connections that come up between the two. Yeah, if it's something you feel comfortable sharing.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, nothing here normal.
Speaker 3: I admit, up until this point complete skeptic in all this is a kid I would have loved if Sasquatch was real, But as I got to an adult, I'm like, like a lot of hunters are people that spend a lot of time in the outdoors.
Speaker 2: I would have seen one by now at the very least.
Speaker 3: Of course, then you go back into areas like Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and you see how much untouched territory, and you could easily go No, there's lots of things that could live out here and never be seen by a human. The humans don't even go to some of these places that I've looked a glass from a ridge line. It's humans don't go over here, right, But I was in one of those areas in the frank Church. I'd been tracking a tailing a herd of elk since before daylight. I had cut their sign early, had a headlamp on. My dad said he had seen some fresh track and thought it would be a good place for me to go, and so I cut their track pretty early and followed them up this ridge line and just kept going, probably five plus miles, and I got to this bench where the ridge line went from just a goat trail that I could only stand on to this wide bench and a burn had a fire had gone through, so all the trees were burned.
Speaker 1: Big for society would be right back after these messages.
Speaker 3: They were still standing, but just dead skeletons, and there was a little bit of grass in there. But I followed the herds tracks in there and there's just no cover. So I'm like, if they're at the end, I can see them and they can see me, and I can't see them, so I'll just keep falling their sign and maybe catch up to them. I've been tailing them all day and I get there about to the middle of this bench and it's just it was eerily quiet, just no wind, no bugs, no birds. It's just dead silent, and I'm in this ghost yard of dead trees. It was just creepy.
Speaker 2: But I.
Speaker 3: Got about halfway in and that heard it just literally button hooked on me and went back the way we had come and dove off the ridge down into this just ravine of trees and awfulness. And I'm like, that's it for them. I'm not going after him down there, And so I stopped behind this down tree that I sat behind the root bolt so I could have some shade, and I'm just eating.
Speaker 2: In this looking around.
Speaker 3: I'm like, this is really cool, this is bizarre, this is really quiet. I haven't seen a I think you'd see a bird. Those trees are full of bugs.
Speaker 2: And I just.
Speaker 3: Got that prickly on the back of my neck feel and I'm like, okay, I can see halfway one way down this across this ridge, but what's behind me? Because my back is to this huge down tree. And I just grabbed my rifle and pivoted around, just expecting to see like a cat or something sneaking up on me.
Speaker 2: And there was nothing, of course, but I just.
Speaker 3: Got up, got my gear on and was like, I'm leaving this place, this is this doesn't feel right. That's that hasn't happened to me really any other time. I've had clothes encounters with bear, some little too close, and that's just what it is, bear or bear, And this was one of those few times I think something stuck in me and I can't see.
Speaker 2: It, so I'm just gonna back away and call it good.
Speaker 1: That is that is very interesting for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was a bad Yeah, that was a bad feeling. But never had anything like that again, So I don't know if that means anything at all. It was just it was a weird thing, and I thought about it later.
Speaker 1: Would you ever want to see or experience what you experienced that day again?
Speaker 3: No, nope. I don't think I would gain anything from it. I've seen it. I know they're real now.
Speaker 2: I just I don't think it would serve anything.
Speaker 3: I'd be fascinated to see what their anatomy is laid out on a slab.
Speaker 2: Not that I'm saying we should go out and kill them. I'm just saying I been in the medical field my whole adult life.
Speaker 3: It'd be fascinating to see how they're structured and other than being scared out of your mind, have some time to really look at them. But outside of that type of scenario, no, I don't want much to do with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense, Dan, this has been a really interesting conversation. I'm glad that you reached out to me. Thank you for doing that.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: The good thing about this and sometimes it's not this, but sometimes encounters like this make it so the person never go in the woods again. And it sounds like you're at the point where you're okay with because going in the woods.
Speaker 3: I am as much as I don't really want to have anything to do with them, and that's fine. They probably don't with me either, who is aware before because there are other things out there that can kill you and treat you like a snack. But I just, yeah, I if I hear strange knocking sounds in the woods, I'm not going to go towards them again. Like it going, well, what's this? This is pretty cool, let's figure out what this is. I'll probably leave that alone. Jeremiah, I apologize, but there's one thing I didn't say about why. I thought it may have actually been trying to draw me in, but got really pissed off at the end is my rifle. I was camoed head to toe. The only thing you could see on me was my eyes. The rest was camouflage everything, and that includes my rifle. So with that rifle held up against my torso it doesn't it looked like my jacket. So I actually I wondered, wasn't it. Kay, what's this guy doing by himself? Let's get him a little closer. And once I got close enough and it could clearly see this was a weapon.
Speaker 2: And not just part of my body.
Speaker 3: That's when I came into the open and I had the rifle at low ready, so not just held you know, vertical with my body, but away. That's when those five rapid fire knocks came. And when I decided to ignore that, which in retrospect was ridiculous. There it was very clear something was not happy with me, and I kept advancing. Maybe that's when it's like, all right, enough is enough. This guy's got a gun. All right, fund's over. We don't want to get shot. But if he's going to keep coming, let's square off and show him whose boss.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's just one of those things.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about people that it's a weekend. Let's go into the woods trying to find the Bigfoot and knock on trees and all that good stuff. Do you have any feeling towards people like that or advice or no?
Speaker 2: I don't have any. I guess I just have no comment. That's fine.
Speaker 3: If you want to do that, I you will.
Speaker 2: I won't, right, Yeah, I won't do it.
Speaker 3: But no, I I'm the last one to ask advice. I walked right towards wood knocks and tell this thing had to get mad enough to show me off that once. I guess I could have looked at it longer, but that's that whole instinct. Well, don't look up another preyer or in the eye and square off with it.
Speaker 2: Otherwise that might work.
Speaker 3: That works with a mountain lion or a black bear, they can be pretty easily intimidated, but not something like that. He was clearly the one trying to do the intimidating and it worked. So no, I just hope people are safe. It just seems like.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 3: I mean, my whole part of my whole problem with this whole thing is I don't know what its intentions were and what those knocks meant until the end, that was pretty clear you need to leave. So that would make me very nervous to go out and do that and not know.
Speaker 2: What you're saying to them. Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: I've heard other I've heard other people say that, but yeah, to each their own.
Speaker 2: Just be safe, that's right.
Speaker 3: I'm glad people are getting out in the woods's that's I hope for everybody.
Speaker 1: Absolutely be careful.
Speaker 2: I didn't want this. I didn't ask for it. I had no.
Speaker 3: Thought in my brain that I would this would ever happen to me. Like I said, it just wasn't a thing to my brain. I guess that's why I could. I walked towards the Knoxes. I'm like, okay, it don't think it's a human outdoing this, and I don't know of any animals in North America that can do this. Let's go figure out what it is. But at no point was it like, oh, this might be a sasquatch.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I wasn't versed enough in that they do knocking sounds and other stuff like that until I started listening to more podcasts.
Speaker 1: And hmm, Danny, did you have any questions for me that that didn't come up during recording.
Speaker 3: You actually asked me some of the questions I would have asked, so no, I really appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Awesome. If there's anything that if you ever need help with this in the future, feel free to reach out. Definitely. That's the main reason that I do stuff like this, try to help people work through stuff. But yeah, Dan, thank you so much for taking some time to share what you experienced up there in northern Idaho.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate it. Thank you for your time here.
Speaker 1: At Bigfoot Society. Our goal is to provide a platform for those that have encountered Bigfoot to share their encounter and a safe and respected environment. But we need to hear your story. If you've experienced something that you just can't explain, please send me an email at Bigfoot Society at gmail dot com. Then we can start the conversation. And I know a lot of you have not shared your encounter at all. It's been twenty years and it's time that you get off your chest and then you can get some well deserved for rest because I know you haven't been sleeping. I understand what you're going through, and I appreciate every one of you listening.
Speaker 4: Bigfoot Society podcasts hosted by our captain Jeremiah Byron, where it's all Bigfoot, all the time. Have you ever had the urge to do more? To be more? Now you can by joining Bigfoot Society on the Patreon get out free episodes and even number only episodes, take part in movie Night and even live video chats, interact behind the scenes with Jeremiah and other Patreon members like me, Slay it the powerful podcast goes on, and you may contribute a verse in our Patreon community CARPADM Seize the day, big flitters and make your lives extraordinary.
Speaker 1: Please take a minute to help out the show by subscribing on YouTube, making sure you hit the bell so you don't miss any notifications, and share the episode on YouTube with a friend. Also, if you're listening to us on a podcast, thank you so much, make sure that you're subscribed, share the show with a friend. Really, it's all about sharing the show wherever you can. If you've had a Bigfoot encounter related to the following, or know someone who has, please reach out to me at Bigfoot Society at gmail dot com or pass on my email. Here's the list. These are all on Oregon. By the way, Oakridge, Dexter Fall Creek, to Shoot National Forest Area, Cultist Lake, Spirit Lake, Subtle Lake, Mackenzie River Area, Sweet Home Area, the area west of Crater Lake, east of two thirty West Diamond Lake Highway and north of sixty two Crater Lake Highway. You can use email Bigfoot Society at gmail dot com. A special thank you to all the Bigfoot Society, Patreon and YouTube channel members. It's your support that helps keep the show going and I extremely appreciate it. If you want to join in the fun, you can join over at patreon dot com forward slash the big Foot Society. I'll see you there and again, thanks for listening.