Speaker 1: When you make decisions for your company, you look for the no brainers, and if you have a lot of mailing to do, Stamps dot com is the ultimate no brainer. Mail checks, invoices, documents and everything you need to keep your business running. Get rates up to eighty nine percent off usps and ups, and with a mobile app, you can take care of mailing on the go. Make the same no brainer decisions is over one million other businesses with Stamps dot Com. Sign up at stamps dot com with code program for a special offer. That's Stamps dot Com Code Program.
Speaker 2: Step into the world of power, loyalty and luck.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna make him an offer you can't refuse.
Speaker 2: With family, canolis and spins mean everything.
Speaker 3: Now you want to get mixed up in the family business.
Speaker 2: Introducing the Godfather at Champa Casino dot com. Test your luck in the shadowy world of the Godfather slot.
Speaker 3: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 2: Play the Godfather now at Champacasino dot com.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Family vdW Group. No purchase necessary.
Speaker 5: I believe we're privited by lossye terms and conditions eighteen plus. With the Lucky Land slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 6: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 5: Play for free at lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 7: Hey guys, it is a Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too.
Speaker 8: It's a thing.
Speaker 7: And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free, anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now Chumba Casino dot com.
Speaker 9: Don't work a necessary daiever by lost in terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 8: You are now listening to True Murder the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zupanski. Good evening, the sound of snagging, snapping twigs closed in on the five teenagers enjoying an evening around the blowing campfire at Gitchee Manitou State Park. The night of music and laughter had taken a dark turn. Evil loomed just beyond the tree line, and before the night was over, one of the Midwest's most horrific mass murders had left its blood stained spewed across the campsite. One managed to survive and would come to be known as the Gitchee Girl. Harrowing memories of the testifying crime sent her spiraling out of control, and she grasps at every avenue to rebuild her life. Can one man, a rescue dog, and a glimmer of faith salvage a broken soul? This true story will touch your heart and leave you cheering that a good can prevail over the depravity of mankind. Through extensive extensive research, interviews, and personal insight, the authors bring a riveting look at the heinous crime that shook the Midwest in the early nineteen seventies. Written from rare inside interviews with the lone survivor who broke really nearly four decades of silence, this shocking yet moving story will not soon be forgotten. The book that we're featuring this evening is The Getchy Girl, the survivor's inside story of the mass murders that shock the Heartland, with my special guest, journalist and author Phil Hamman. Welcome to the program, and thank you for a green this interview. Phil Hamman.
Speaker 10: How you doing, Dan, very good, Thank you for joining me on the program tonight. And I hope I didn't mispronounce your last name.
Speaker 4: Phil Hammon, like kind of like the Hammond Oregon Hammon.
Speaker 10: There we go. Sorry, Thank you very much for clarifying that Haman Hammond, Phil Hammond. Get okay, Thanks, thank you. Let's start off with setting these stage for where this incredible crime occurs, and this is Sue Falls, South Dakota. So tell us where Sioux Falls South Dakota is in proximity. We talk about Iowa in this in this case, in this story predominantly. So let's talk about Sioux Falls, South Dakota. First. What's it like. Where is it located?
Speaker 4: Well, Soup Falls, South Dakota is the largest city in the state of South Dakota, dan And it's located in the very eastern southern part of South Dakota. And it butts Sooux Falls butts right up, you know, just a few miles away from the Iowa border, Okay. And get Chi Manitu is a state park. Well, it's a state preserved now it's been turned into a wildlife preserve, but at the time it was a state park. And it's located about twelve miles east of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. And Getchi Manitu. In fact, when I was a kid growing up, I'm from Sioux Falls, South Dakota, I always thought Getchi Manitude, you know, with the whole park was in the state of Iowa. But I found out during the research for this book that a small portion of it does lie in South Dakota. So that's how close it is.
Speaker 10: Now. This is also the land of a nihian Nabi Indians and and plays quite a prenominant part in this story as well. So tell us a little bit about the history of Anisian Abi Indians and the reserve and that area.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, there are some Indian burial mounds out there. Getchi Manitou actually means great spirit. So around this area in the Midwest, you know, you have a lot of Native American names, and getchi Manitou is Native American for great spirit. And there are burial mounds out there. That's actually a very beautiful park, a lot of pink outcrop cropping, rocks, you know, a lot of trails. The Big Sioux River winds through there. It's kind of a kind of a beautiful park. But you know, now it's got such a sinister background that you know, it's it's got a very uh, you know, you know, heinous reputation.
Speaker 10: Now, now let's go back to Now this crime occurs in the early seventy seventy three, but let's go back to Sandra Chesky and describe her life with her siblings. And it's very important some of the things that do happen in her life, and so we'll have to talk about that because it really makes a big difference on the night in question as well. So let's go back to.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, yeah, this girl is a huge survivor throughout so many different things of her life. Dan, you know she she does have a little Native American in her, uh you know the you know her her mom and dad end up stay stayed together. She was raised pretty much in a single mom home, three older brothers. She's the youngest. She was. Actually, she was born in the backseat of a car. Her mom was trying to get to the hospital. They had an inexperienced driver when her mother went into labor, and Sam made her arrival in the back seat of a car. It's kind of an interesting story. In fact, after the book came out, we didn't know this, but one of a lady contacted her and said, Sandra, I was actually in the back seat I delivered you. I was a young girl. My mother was the driver, and when we got to the to the rural hospital, you'd already been born. I wrapped you in a towel and took you in. By the time we got back home, you know, you know what the seats probably looked like after giving birth back there, they were bloody. They took the seat out of the back seat of the car. They set it up against a barn, and a nosy neighbor thought somebody had been murdered, so they called the sheriffs who came and investigated and Sandra. So Sandra made her arrival in the backseat of a car, and so some other things that happened to her. Dan there was a man in her mom's life that didn't really want the kids around. She was shipped off to a foster family, had real bad experience there. Then when she did come home, she was shipped off to a mission, a Native American boarding school. And back in those it was a pretty harsh environment, uh, you know, and she was considered too white by a lot of the Native American kids, so she was discriminated against and bullied, and so she had she had a pretty hard life. And you know, and then of course to get umanitu incident takes place in her life. So this girl has had to overcome a lot.
Speaker 10: Now, just not to explain that, to clarify that her it's not like her mother doesn't want her. It's we talk about the man in her life not really wanting her. And that's how she ended up in foster home and that's how she ended up in this boarding house is boarding school as well. But the thing was that she always implored to her mother and appeal to her mother, and her mother would try to get her back at home. So eventually Sandra is reunited with her mother. Lola, isn't she?
Speaker 4: Yes, and and and again her mother was a good gal. You know how I can go, and you know, the mom isn't always calling the shots. And you know, her mother did always come back. I can take care of her. But then, of course she was a single mom, not making very much money, trying to raise four children, and so she has gone working a lot too. But Sandra always had a good relationship with her mother. Speaks highly of her mother, and you know, there's just circumstances of life, you know, dan as you know how it can go.
Speaker 10: Now, what type of girl was she we're talking about Now we'll get closer to this summer before the incident in nineteen seventy three, but describe Sandra in terms of her you know, with her other playmates and other people at school. She has survived again some adverse situations already in her life, and she's back with her mother and has a brother. She has a good relationship in her family. So just tell us where she's at in terms of sort of relationships with other people and sort of what kind of time is it in her life that summer.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, she's a very she makes friends very easily. She's a very bubbly person, very upbeat, very mature, young lady. She had a lot of friends. Okay, she was very outgoing. She was very naive young girl. You know, when a lot of this stuff comes down, you'll find out that a lot of her experiences came from watching The Brady Bunch on TV or Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. You know, she was pretty, you know, pretty naive about a lot of things in the world. But she was a good kid. You know, she had a lot of friends. She was very outgoing, very bubbly, very happy. She hung out with her brothers who were older. Some of her friends were a few years older when Sandra. This incident that gets you took place when Sandra was thirteen. Now I've known this girl personally since we've been teenagers. You know, she was a very beautiful young lady. She didn't look like she was thirteen. She was thirteen, looking like she was seventeen, but she was still thirteen at the time this took place.
Speaker 10: And we're talking about not only talking we're talking about an innocent time. We're talking about a pretty inno and young girl as well, not very experienced in terms of it's really odd reading it because now we're talking about that many years, forty years as a big time spence in terms of how people view things. But she was a pretty innocent girl in a pretty innocent time in a small town, wasn't she.
Speaker 4: Yeah? And you know she lived in a small town just outside of Sioux Falls now Sue Falls. South Dakota at that time was about eighty thousand people, but it was a Midwest dan We were a sheltered environment. I mean, there was not a lot of crime that took place. It was like a small town cety, even though Falls was the largest town in the state of South Dakota. But she was a good kid, naive, but she was a very bubbly, happy, outgoing person at this time.
Speaker 10: To talk about and not to give anything away, but I just want to elaborate on that point. We're talking about a sheriff and the one deputy, aren't.
Speaker 4: We Yes, well yes, because the murder took place actually in Iowa, Lyon County, just outside of Rock Rapids, Iowa, which is a very small community. And so the jurisdiction fell under the local sheriff there and his one deputy. Okay, so yeah, and that's where the jurisdiction of this murder took place. So they were heavily involved in this investigation.
Speaker 10: Now, Sandra is a normal, you know, normal young lady, and she's thirteen years old in this summer, and so tell us the circumstances where she meets a young man that she's been smitten by. Is this Roger?
Speaker 4: Roger Ye knew him well, lived right by me. Actually, you know, for the listeners, Dan, I do have a personal connection to this murder. My former best friend was one of the boys murdered out there. I knew all the other teenagers that were murdered. And again I've known Sandra Chesky since we were teenagers. How she met Sandra's thirteen, Roger Ressem is seventeen. They met at the drive in movie theater, which was a big place for kids to go. Sandra came into town with a friend of hers who was three years older than her. Sandra's looking like she's seventeen. She happens to run into Roger Wresseam, who is seventeen, who went to sux Falls, Washington High School, same high school that I attended, And they just happened to running into each other at the concession stand of the drive in movie theater. They spark up a conversation, they kind of hit it off. Roger gets her phone number and he calls her up and they start dating. Sandra never did tell him her real age. She kind of just kind of avoided that topic and just said that she went to Harrisburg High School, which was outside of the city of Soux Falls. And you know, that plays itself out in the book. We talk about that a little more.
Speaker 10: Now. I talked about experience. So in terms of this thirteen year old, how experience is is she in this type of relationship and what does she think this relationship is? How serious the you take it? And in terms of expressing it with her friend, like her best friend Debbie.
Speaker 4: Well, you know right away, of course she's all I mean, Roger was a very good looking guy, very outgoing, very well liked young man. I mean, she was just elated, bubbly, I mean, and they had, they dated, they went on dates, and but it was very innocent. Uh And I will say, I'll tell the reader or your listeners right up front. Obviously there's going to be a sexual assault that takes place on this young lady later on during this crime. She was a virgin at the time. They had a very innocent relationship. You know, they kissed, held hands. It was it was a typical first love kind of a situation for Sandracewski.
Speaker 10: Right. How much did her mother, even though she was busy, you know, going to school, she got a nursing degree, so she was a very busy woman, tried to take care of her her children, but she was away from the home a little bit. How much did she know about out her merging interest in boys and this Roger in particular. Do she know anything about that at all?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I you know, I don't believe that her mom. I think her mom knew that she you know, went on some dates with some boys, and you know, but it was kind of a time when I don't think her mom hovered over her. She was always a good kid. She was responsible, you know, she had her older brothers looking after her. Now, when her and Roger were on dates. Stuart Baby, which he was Roger's friend, was generally always with him because he drove. Stuart had a van and Roger didn't, you know, so there was always it was kind of like dates with two three four people all the time. They were always off doing something with a group. Was that kind of a thing, Dan, And so, yeah, her mom and again that night. You know, people will ask, what's the thirteen year old girl doing now with those boys. Well, it was nine o'clock. Her mom was working when they headed out there. You know, of course, she had a little more liberal freedoms than some girls her age because her mom was gone working late at night. You know, her brothers were you know, older, and so of course she went off with their boyfriend for a date. That night, they went out to get you Manitud State Park with a group of friends and they were going to build a fire and hang out. Two of the boys were aspires. They brought a guitar along. They were going to play and sing and you know, hang out for a few hours. It was get you Manitud was a very popular hangout for teenagers. They'd go there and build a fire and hang out.
Speaker 10: You know, Now these guys are pretty innocent guys. But you know, like anybody thirteen, you know, I totally can relate thirteen years old somebody at that point when they're partying. Is there any alcohol involved, there's any drugs involved?
Speaker 4: They had no alcohol. Somebody had a marijuana joint. One of the older boys pulled out a marijuana joint and they had it and they and you know, and Vietnam was still playing itself out at that time, Dan, I can't hardly remember going to a get together party as I was grown up during that area where somebody somewhere didn't have a little marijuana. They were out on a back cack or they were down in a basement. A couple of these old boys did have one did have some marijuana, and I'm assuming it might be one of the aspiring musicians, you know. And again you know, they had a marijuana joint and so but they had no alcohol.
Speaker 10: Pardon me, now, when they first went to this area, did they notice anything out of the the usual or anything unusual? I would say? And did they do anything as a result of what they had seen?
Speaker 4: When you come into give the listeners a little visual and you plenty gets you manitud Park, it was like a dirt road, okay, and it was kind of like grass in the center. It was like the two tire tire had worn a groove on each side, and you drove back in. And after you went in about a quarter of a mile, there was an old block camp shelter where you could build a fireplace in there. There was like a picnic table in there. That's where the kids first stopped. They were going to build a fire there. When they went over there, they found the fire. There was still hot coals in the fire, and so they you know, they just assumed that maybe somebody was just there or going to come back, and so they went down along the river always about another seventy five hundred yards to another little area where there was a the ability to build a fire. So they were down closer to the river, up away from this block camp shelter, and that's an old rustic pink stone camp shelter, kind of a neat looking thing. And then the big Siou River kind of winds through there. It's kind of a it's not really a stream, but it's not a real huge river. It's just kind of a medium sized river. And so a lot of trees are on there, and so that's where they went to build their fire.
Speaker 10: Okay, they were they had picked up Sandra at about eight o'clock. She thought they might have picked up earlier. But they had some side tracks or some detours that the young man was driving said he had had to do. So they were there. I don't know what time, So maybe you can tell us around what time this was and what they started to do. What was the They had a couple of guitars. Did they start singing? Drink? Of course, they didn't have any alcohol. Yeah.
Speaker 4: When they Yeah, they got down, they got to get you manity. They got down to the campsite shelter. It was about probably about ten o'clock by the time they gathered their wood, you know, got it set in there, got the fire started. You know, they pulled some logs up around the fire. You know, you can kind of visualize the singer's trees all around out croppings of rocks, and so it's probably about ten o'clock at night, but the fog rolls in and out's starting to get foggy, and and so here they're setting around this glowing campfire. You know, they're talking, they're playing, singing some songs. You know, and this is when they start hearing some strange sounds, often in the tree line around them. You know, they're hearing snapping of twigs and like brushing sounds, kind of like a cold against a tree lamb, crumbling of leaves. And every time the kids would go quiet to listen, and the kind of the the sounds would go quiet started spooking them, is what happened.
Speaker 10: Right, And as a result, what did they what did they do?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, they at first they you know, they you know, Sandra was getting a little worried. But then you know, the older boys they said it was probably just raccoons or just again you've got to remember their their teenage kids are out for the Nay, this is the Midwest. It's pretty sheltered, you know. They they get spooked, but yet they blow it off. They think, Okay, it's a raccoon. One of them jokes and says, maybe it's a bear. Well, there's no bearers in this area, so they knew it was, you know, so they just kind of laughed it off, okay, and so they just you know, continued their singing and talking and they just went about their business. Okay, now we know we know what happened. It was those the murderers were sneaking up and spying on them, and then backing off and talking about what they wanted to do and coming back up again. That's where the sound were coming from, is what was happening.
Speaker 10: What prompts the intruders to make an appearance? What happens? What do the there's more noise in these in these woods as they approach, So what happens?
Speaker 4: Okay, so the kids are setting around, Roger stands up.
Speaker 9: Judy was boring Hello. Then Judy discovered chumpacasino dot com.
Speaker 5: It's my little escape.
Speaker 9: Now Judy's the life of the party.
Speaker 5: Oh baby, mama is bringing home the bacon.
Speaker 9: WHOA, take it easy, Judy. The Chumba life is for everybody. So go to chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump chumpacasino dot com. Nopea's necessary weight. We're pomitted by my eighteen plus terms and condition to play.
Speaker 3: Let's every details.
Speaker 5: With lucky landslots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today.
Speaker 8: Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 5: Sorry, sorry, we're here.
Speaker 2: We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 7: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 2: In that case, I pronounce you Lucky.
Speaker 5: Thanks for free Lucky Land slots dot com. Tigley bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary, boyd, We're prohibited by lock eight team plus terms and conditions of flag see website for details.
Speaker 4: Okay, and they hear some more sound and Roger steps away from the fire. Her boyfriend, Roger has some steps away from the fire, and they see some shadowy figures starting to come at them out of the trees, and he yells, who are you? What do you want? And at that point, the explosion of a shotgun goes off, and then now the chaos starts. Okay, immediately, there's you know, fear, there's you know, all this confusion. My former best friend Mike Hadraf, he's fifteen at the time. By the way, he was a tremendous athlete, played with him on basketball and baseball teams, multiple President's Physical Fitness Award winner. He grabs Sandra and drags her back away from the shooting into the trees. And they're back next to the river and the trees, hiding, and they can hear, you know, there's more shots. They can hear wailing and screaming, and they're back. They're just fright and confused. They don't know what's going on. Sandra's thirteen, my best friend is fifteen. And they're hiding.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: Now, Sandras said she did see Roger crumple and fall, and she looked up and saw one of the assailants with the shotgun up to his shoulder. Okay, and so now they're back in the trees hiding.
Speaker 10: Now the screams that you're talking about, is that related to and they do they believe this to be Stu and his brother is fourteen year orother fourteen year old brother, Dana.
Speaker 4: It turned out to be Stuart, the one who drove, who had the van. Roger's friend. He was, you know, he was severely wounded and he was the one that was yelling. But they're back in the trees. They don't know if it's Roger yelling. They don't know if it's Stuart baby yelling. They don't know if it's Dana Baty, Stuart's younger brother who is fourteen. They're just confused or frightened. It's just chaos.
Speaker 10: So are they in a spot where they are hidden from these potentially from these and these assailants looking for them? And in that moment when they're together, what's the plan? Do they say anything to each other? What do they well?
Speaker 4: Again again, Sandra's going, what's going on? And my buddy Mike is saying, I don't know. I don't know what's going on. Just stay down, stay still, don't move. You know, they're staying hidden behind a big tree. Don't run, you know, just stay hidden for right now. You know they can't see. They're up against the river. It's dark during the tree line. And then Dan, these killers are not only ruthless, but they're cunning. Now they start yelling where the place where with the police department? Come out with your hands up, Come out right now with your hands up? Where the police? Well you got a thirteen year old and a fifteen year old right away? Sandras says, why what are these cops doing? And my friend Mike says, I don't know, but these police have already shot as whatever you do don't run, okay, come out like they said. So they duped them, They fooled them, Dan, they came out of hiding.
Speaker 10: Now were they dressed in police uniforms? What was it about them that looked like police to them even remotely?
Speaker 4: Absolutely nothing? And that's where the confusion starts. In here's where the confusion starts. Okay. They Now as soon as my friend and Sandra come walking out, they come walking out of the trees with their hands up towards the assailants.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: When they start getting closer, my friend says, what are you shooting at us?
Speaker 2: For?
Speaker 4: One of the perpetrators raises a shotgun and shoots him, drops him to the ground. Sandra, not hid herself, instinctively drops next to him and tries to play dead. Well, my friend is pretty severely wounded and his shoulder on the arm, but he tries to playing dead too. Now, as they're trying to play dead, they can see these shadowy figures moving around the campsite, walking back and forth, whispering, talking, and then they come over and kick them and make them get up. Okay. Now they start rounding the kids up that are wounded. Okay, and nothing looks like police officers. They're not dressed like police officers. So even though they say they're police officers, they say, you had some marijuana. We saw it, we could smell it. You're under arrest. While they're teenagers. They think we're under arrest. We did have some marijuana. But it's confusing. They're very frightened or confused. They're whispering to each other. You know, are they cops? Are they really cops? Should you know? Should we run? What should we do? Confusing to these kids.
Speaker 10: Now, where is the where's Dana?
Speaker 4: At this point, Ana had made it into hiding himself, just like my friend Mike and Sandra went off by himself. He got into the trees by himself, and and he had but he came walking out with his hands up too, as he was instructed by the phony police.
Speaker 10: Now, as much as these teens are and children are intimidated, they're still very vicious. Like you, you've noted in the book that they're very suspicious that these aren't police and this is not the actions of police officers. So do they do do they challenge them at all?
Speaker 4: You know, my friend Mike during the course of this thing. Now a lot of people from even from that Sioux Falls area. I mean, they're learning a lot about this murder. A lot of people thought it was a quick kill. They thought they came in and killed the boys and took the girl. Well it's not. It goes on and on, and you know, there's a lot more in the book. Obviously you know that. But they march these kids around and at one point, my friend, you know, who's wounded during while he's severely wounded, he's trying to talk to one of these perpetrators and asking him if he knows mister Jensen, who Sandra believes it was a police officer at the time. And we think that Mike was probably trying to see are they really police officers? Does he know mister Jensen? And you know, one of the murderer says, no, I don't know him. Just shut up, keep your mouth shut. You're under arrest. And so they're marching around, they go out, they whisper. I think these perpetrators are trying to decide what they're going to do. I think they believed that Dana Baby was a female two from a distance at that time, Dana had kind of long hair. It was early seventies and he had a jacket on. He was young, he was fourteen. You obviously could tell Sandra was a girl. I think they believed there were two girls because then they wanted toy asked the question how many girls are here? And they made them bring out IDs and show them. They took the perpetrators took it over by the headlamps of the pickup that they came to get umanitu in and looked at the IDs. So then they keep They make the kids sit down, you know, they go off, they talk, they converse. I think these killers are deciding what they're going to do with these kids. Okay, now, what a terribly horrible thing for these kids.
Speaker 10: Of course, Now what is the answer to their question in terms of the police sort of pacifying them that that their friends are not killed. But they tell us about this, Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: They here's what they told they told Sandra. Sandra is asking where her boyfriend is, and they tell her he's been shot with a tranquilizer gun. He'll be okay, he'll come to in a little bit. Well, again, she's naive. She watched she grew up watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, where they darted animals and things. She's naive. She she wants to believe that her boyfriend's been shot with a tranquilizer gun. You know, it's dark. She said, she didn't see the blood all over. My friend, Mike, just knew that he was you know, hit. And then she's you know, he's asking her to help him. Obviously, my friend knows he's severely wounded. He's kind of trying to keep it quiet. I don't think he's trying to you know, startle or panic this young girl. But he's severely wounded. He's asking her to help him walk as they march these kids around through the trees and things. Uh, you know, he can't feel his arm. He asked Sandra to lay his arm up against his stomach so he can hold on to it. You know, he'd been shot with a shot twelve gey shotgun. He's really wounded. Missandra is believing, you know, she they're telling her one thing and then she's seen another thing, and she wants to believe it's a tranquilizer gun. Are they cops? They don't act like cops. This is also scary and confusing.
Speaker 10: The rationale that the police give to pacify these child, this child and teenagers. For the motive for all of this. You talked on it about marijuana, but tell us the whole thing that the entire motive or logic behind why these they've been shot and why they're being arrested and kind of the conversation they give to them in terms of well, we'll get to that a little bit later. About him talking to Sandra about giving her a break.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, and they keep just saying, you're under arrest, this is a drug bust. Keep your mouth shut, do as you're told, you know, walk with your hands in the air, sit down. Yeah, they're gonna go to jail, you know, this one, this one is that wound is going to go to the police, the jail, hospital, and the rest of them are going to be going to worst places. You're going to be locked up for who knows how long you're in Iowa. Iowa's harder on marijuana. You guys never should have had that marijuana. You're in big trouble. You know. They're they're doing this kind of thing to these kids. For the boys who are a little older, they're whispering, are they really cops? They don't, they don't They don't act like cops, even under cover cops. Would they use this kind of force on us, you know, and Sanders going, but they are cops who you know, you know, we have to listen to what they say.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: It's they keep duping these kids while they're marching around deciding what they're going to do with them. And of course we're going to talk about that. We know what ends up happening to these kids.
Speaker 10: Well, let's talk about the villains here just before we get to the actual details.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's talk.
Speaker 10: About what names that the the kids actually hear them being referred to before we get Alan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there're three brothers, end up being three brothers, Dan Alan Fryar, James Fryar, and David Fryar. Alan Fryar is the oldest, twenty nine years old, but they kept referring to him as the boss. He called himself the boss. Okay, so Sandra refers to him as the boss. That's uh. James Fryar, the twenty four year old, he's referred to as Jr. Now his real name is James Fryer. And then the other one, the youngest one who's twenty one years old, David fryar during the during the time of this scary session that's going on with these kids, he's referred to his hatchet face. So these kids are only hearing these guys being called by nicknames. Okay, so they're trying to think, is that because they're undercover, they don't want anybody to know their real names, you know. Well, so it's the Boss Jr. And hatchet Face while these kids are being at gunpoint.
Speaker 10: Now what happens? What's the what? What precipitates them being separated? Sandra being separated from the other two boys and and has dealings with the boss. Tell us about this incident and when without giving anything away.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, these friars have come to get you. Manitud State Park in a pickup truck. The three brothers have been or together in a pickup truck. When they came out there, they heard the guitar plan, they heard the kids talk, and that's they parked their pickup truck and came and snuck up and spied on these kids and conversed about what they were going to do. Okay, So hatchet Face comes driving up into the thickets of the trees with the pickup truck. They take Sander. They wire her hands behind her back. Okay, these three brothers had gotten together, and so Hatchet Face drives a pickup truck. They put Sander's hands behind her back, they wire them with wire. They tell her they forgot handcuffs, so they're going to use this wire. They put her in the pickup truck. Okay, and the boss, James Fryar, is going to put a gunnysack over her head. Now here's where I I think this girl one of the reasons she saved herself in a sense. You know, when you're in a hosting situations, they say you're trying to always try to humanize yourself to your you know, to your perpetrator. When she was gonna put that gunnysack on her head, she kind of twisted her headway and said, no, no, don't put that over my head. No, please don't. And for whatever reason, he stopped and he didn't put it on her head. I think that kept her more human at that point. Okay, now the other boys are made to stay, setting down and the wounded boys and Dana. Now Roger didn't appear. I'll just say right up front that Roger was killed instantly at the campfire. So you've got my friend who's wounded, You've got Dana who's unwounded, and you've got Steward who's pretty severely wounded. Okay, those boys are made to sit down while they put Sandra in the pickup truck. Okay. The boss the boss and gets in the pickup with Sandra and puts the vehicle and drive and starts slowly driving away. Sandra looks back, makes eye contact with the boys and she said it was the most mournful things she's ever seen. She could just see it in their eyes. And the boss takes off with Sandra. Okay, and the other the wounded boys and danear left back with Jr. And hatchet Face.
Speaker 10: Let's just pause for a second. I got to to hear a message from our sponsor, and we'll get right back to this. I know we're leaving everybody on a cliff here, Dan. Our sponsor this month is loot Crate, and Lucrate is a monthly subscription box service for epic, geek and gamer items and pop culture gear. Now for less than twenty dollars a month, you get six to eight items that include license gear, apparel, collectibles, and unique one of a kind items and more. Make sure you head to www dot lootcrate dot com, slash true murder and enter code true Murder to save an additional three dollars on any new subscription Right now, their crate is Spring and Spring is springing, so grab a map, your bag of holding, and some friends. And April's theme is Quest. They're forming a party to explore everywhere, from far off kingdoms to worlds hidden within worlds, with exclusive items from Labyrinth, Harry Potter, History Channels, Vikings and Uncharted four and of course they have the T shirt and lutpin to help equip them and you for your adventures. They have until nineteenth of April at nine pm Pacific to subscribe to this month's Quest Crate, and after that it's over. Now. Lout Crate is is a curated collection of epic exclusives and awesome items delivered monthly. Now. What you get is exclusive products from top Pulp cup Sure franchises, including apparel, collectibles, gear, and more at What's also Additionally, there's a community of over three million followers on Twitter, Instagram, Reddit and Facebook. And this is plans from everywhere from a month, three months, six months, and twelve months with less than twenty dollars a month. That's thirteen dollars a month plus six dollars shipping and handling. Total price twenty dollars. So if you're interested, this is incredibly cool stuff. A lot of this stuff is just something. My daughter is just freaking at some of the stuff that I've already showed her. It's an amazing the first crate that I got, So go to www dot lootcrate dot com slash true murder. Enter code true murder to save an additional three dollars try out one month subscription. Very interesting and incredible and exclusive stuff from all the biggest makers, like I say, Disney they have exclusive ones as well, Star Wars limited edition crates and as well they call it Duty limited Edition crate with nine exclusive of eleven items. Some incredible stuff. So check that out at www dot lootcrate dot com slash true murder. Okay, Phil, thank you very much for that. Let's get back to as Sandra drove away with the boss. What happened next?
Speaker 4: Well, the Boss takes off with Sandra. They drive off into the dark. They leave the boys, the other two perpetrators. They go get Stuart's ban, they bring it up. They make the boys stand on the side of the road, They turn the vehicle around, put the headlights on them, and the boys are executed. They're finished off with shotgun blasts. And I think one of the one of the things these these brothers had been out to that park to try to poach a deer. So those twelve gate shotguns, at least one of them was loaded with double lot buck shot. Anybody that knows anything about shotguns knows what they were using those. It's not small beasts, you know, you know, almost like small ball bearings, you know, something that will kill a dear. So it was pretty horrific crime.
Speaker 10: So we're talking about some of the boys were shot, like you say, in the shoulder and the arm, but there was some there was some shotgun blast to the face of one or two of the boys, wasn't there.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, I mean they were. They were shot up pretty good.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 4: There was you know, the standing and he got two guys with shotguns executing them. You know, those shotguns spread out, you know, and again double lot buck shot and at least one of those shotguns. You know, it does quite a number. So it's you know, pretty heinous rhyme, and you know, like Leroy Greasy, the deputy who was involved, the sheriff and the deputy he told us, you know, I just hope those autopsy photographs are nobody ever sees them and just give them nightmarriages and you never forget them.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 4: Of course they were used at the trials, you know, to show the the jury just what these these guys did. But nobody ever needs to see those autopsy photos. And that was his That was from Deputy Greasy, who is part of the investigation and part of that law enforcement team.
Speaker 10: Well, let's get back to the main person in this story, and that's Sandra. She does not hear the gunshots, does she does? She does not know the fate of her friends whatsoever. And she's with the boss. Now we alluded to it. What is the boss supposed to do with Sandra and what's their ride like and what do they talk about?
Speaker 4: Well, he continues to tell her, you know, work police, we're going to go to an abandoned farmer where we think drugs are stored. Well, we know why she's being taken to the abandoned farm. Okay, she's gonna be sexually assaulted and she's gonna be finished off. Okay, Well, he's telling her that they have to stop. He has to meet up with you know, his partners at this abandoned farm where they think drugs are stored. They have some other police business to do, and so he starts heading to a pre predetermined spot where after they killed the boys, back to park. The other brothers are going to take Stuart's van and they're going to meet up with Actually, what they did was they took Stuart's van and they drove it into sous Fall, South Dakota, dropped it off and picked up a small car that was one of the perpetrator's cars, and then then proceeded to this abandoned farm and met up with the boss and Sandra out there.
Speaker 10: So they did have some kind of maybe it wasn't a great plan, but they thought they had some kind of plan to elude police and fool the police, didn't.
Speaker 4: They Yeah, well, you know, dysfunction as their plan is, they had a plan. There was a mission. They were on a mission obviously, and so they they all met up.
Speaker 10: Yeah go ahead, okay, go ahead, sir.
Speaker 4: Sorry, well I'm just saying, and they all meet up at the farm, at this abandoned farm, and this is where the sexual assault of Sandra takes place.
Speaker 10: Okay, who sexually assaults Sandra and tell us the tell us the conditions.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, here she is, she's sitting in the in the pickup truck that the boss, James Fryar U took her away in. And the three perpetrators have now met up there standing out in front of the pickup truck and it's it's Jr. It's James fryar that all of a sudden comes over to the pickup, gets in and rapes her on the on the seat of the pickup. Okay, the other two do not rape her. Okay, one of them rapes her. And so you know, we've always found that kind of strange. We wonder what that all is all about. You know, there's there's obviously there's going to be more details and things in the book, you know, and you know, so we're not giving everything away, but you know, the readers would have to, you know, like like me and a lot of people, you're trying to figure this whole thing out. And just like the detectives here the next day, we're going to talk about that in a minute. You know, we're trying to figure this all out, but one of them rapes her.
Speaker 10: What she up to that point, whether she is skeptical or not, she is believing that this guy is a police officer and and that she is going to arrive home safely and this will be all over with and her friends are safe and this nightmare will be over. So what's her reaction and what does she conclude after this sexual assault suddenly.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, she's demoralized. But in Sandry and talking to Sandra now again, you know, she kept the a lot of this stuff in for so many years. But to her, and that's what authorities did. You know, she didn't have a good experience with some of the authorities at that Native American boarding school she was shipped off to when she was younger. She thought these were adults that were abusing their power. She still wanted to believe they were a cop. And this is what she was going to have to live through to not be put locked up or put in a detention center. This guy is going to just get by with what he wants to do with me. You know, she's just demoralized, she's confused, she's degraded and in her mind, she's still trying to process this whole thing.
Speaker 10: Now, the boss's job, Allen's job, is to kill her. So what does he do?
Speaker 4: Okay, So hatchet Face in JR. Your listeners will find this interesting and we talked a little more about it in the book Jr. The rapist was actually locked up in the Sioux Falls County jail when he pulled this rape and murder. Jill had a checkout program that perpetrators based on whatever crime they were locked up for, and James Fryar was locked up for stolen goods and transporting stolen goods. He could check out or sign out of the jail, go work a job site, and then come back and check back into jail. Okay, So hatchet Face David Fryar. After the rape, he drives James Fryar back to the Sioux Falls jail so he can sign back in and lock up. But there was a many hours. James Fryar was a tow truck driver. That was his job, which gave him liberal hours. You know, he could sign out at night. Tow trucks operate, you know, twenty four hours a day. But there was a lag somebody at the jail was not checking. Why was there this big several hour lag in between when you punched out of your job as a tow truck driver and you don't return to the jail until you know, three o'clock in the morning. See what I'm saying, two o'clock in the morning, whatever time he checks back in. There was a lot of backlash in that in that community when when the community found out about this. So the two brothers take off. They leave Sandra with the boss, James Fryar, who is supposed to finish her off tape or excuse me, Alan Fryer is supposed to finish her off back at the abandoned farm, and the other two head to Sue falls hatch of face, drops James off, he goes into the jail, checks himself back in, and David goes to wherever he goes. So now we've gotten We've got the boss, Alan Fryar, and Sandra back at the abandoned farm.
Speaker 10: And what happens you talked you, you alluded to this that her survival instincts kick in, So why do you believe that he didn't kill her?
Speaker 4: Again, she continues to talk to him. She continues conversing with him. You know, are you gonna let me go? Like you said? You know, I don't want to get in any more trouble. You know. You know he has a low IQ too. You know, he scored pretty low on his intelligence scale Dan okay, and so I don't think this guy is functioning as high as he possibly should. She's humanized herself to him. He takes her up to the abandoned farm. He pulls out a wooden axe handle out of the back of his pickup, and he takes her up there, and he says that they're going to go inside see if there's any critters to kill inside that well, her instincts are saying, no, this isn't good. When they get up to the abandoned farm, she stepped back. She goes, no, I'm not going in there. It's too spooky and creepy. And then it's like he doesn't know how to respond. Okay. He looks at her and she starts back, and when he says, I'm not going in that abandoned house, and she starts walking towards a pickup. Well, at this point, you know, you're wondering, you know, why isn't he doing his job. Why isn't he finishing this girl up? Maybe somewhat she's humanized herself to him, been a little forceful. He's not functioning it with a real high IQ, you know, But he doesn't. He lets her go walk back and get in the pickup truck. He walks back and gets in. Then he just starts driving. And then he tells her where do you live? And I'm going to take you home and so lo and behold. He drives her to the small town of outside of Sioux Falls called te South Dakota, where she's living with her mom and brothers, and he drops her off very close to her house, lets her go.
Speaker 10: What does he tell her though?
Speaker 4: He tells her Yeah. He tells her that I'm still a cop. You don't tell anybody who we are. You know, we could get in trouble for what we did tonight, but we don't listen for cops. We'd only go to jail at prison for a little while. Then we'd come back and get you. And he says, by the way, I have a little black book that I keeps everybody's name. Give me your phone number, and I want to keep track of everybody that we've been dealing with and with his police matter. I need your phone number, and I'm gonna drop you off at home, and he goes, by the way, I'll give you a call sometime when I'm in the area. So did he get a weird obsession with this girl too? You know, you read the whole book, you start getting these different ideas. It's just, you know, so many so bizarre twists to this thing, Dan, you know, And so he just gets the phone number. Yeah.
Speaker 10: This lack of logic though, really again adds another twist to this story. Tell us what happens when she gets dropped off. What does she do?
Speaker 4: Well, she immediately goes in the house now her mom. It's now it's about four or after in the morning. She's she's confused. You know, we I was out there. We're kind of in trouble. I've been raped. She's confused, she doesn't know what she should do. She doesn't want to tell her mom right away, So she goes upstairs and wakes up one of her older brothers and starts spewing out this story to him, and he says, Sandra, they do not sound like real cops. You've got to you need to go to the police, and she says, but what if they are. I gave them my phone number. They know where we live, and he says, Sandra, I don't know, but they don't sound like real cops. You're going to have to just think about this and tomorrow morning we something's got to happen. This is just think about it. So she goes to her room to think about this. What does she want to do. She's still so confused, traumatized what's going on, and so I think she kind of slightly dozes off. She's kind of half in a stupor. By the time she realizes it's like eight thirty in the morning. She gets up. She goes and her mom has already left for work. So she gets on the phone and tries to call her her boyfriend, Roger, who's been hit with a tranquilizer gun. She thinks she is he home. No, she keeps calling and he's not home. Her mom says he must have spent the night at one of his friend's house. He's not here. So she's desperate to try to find, you know, find her boyfriend. She calls a friend, tells her friend to come over. The friend does come over, they don't know what to do. She wants to talk to Roger or one of the boys. So they go to the Interstate and she's going to hitch hike back out to Get You Manitude Park to see if the boys are out there. And then on the way through Sue Falls hitch hiking out to Get You Manitude, they stop at a payphone and call her boyfriend, Roger Essam's house one more time, and by this time the family has been informed that Roger is dead, and one of Roger's older brothers said, Sandra, stay where you are. I'm coming to get you right now, and he goes down to pick her up at the payphone and her and her friend and takes him downtown to the Soue Falls Police station the detective bureau.
Speaker 10: How were the bodies discovered so that by the time she called back to Roger's home that they had been informed. Tell us a little bit about that little story.
Speaker 4: There was a couple that were test driving a car that morning, a car that they were going to buy, maybe from a private party, but they were test driving a car and they just happened to want to try to drive through Get You Manitude because it was pretty They thought they'd try to look at the fall colors. Now, remember this was November seventeenth that these murders took place. They were going to drive to the park and they found they saw the dead bodies laying a long off, just off the road. So of course they raced back and called the authorities right away. That's how the bodies were discovered. The boys still had money and identification right on them, so it didn't take the cops very long to get a hold of the families.
Speaker 10: Now, like you say, by the time she called, Sandra calls Rogers family, they've been notified and that Rogers is killed. So what happens in terms of the police and how do they proceed with the investigation and the questioning of Sandra.
Speaker 4: Well, so Roger's brother takes this girl down to the police department and takes her to a detective, and right away the detective says, young later, there's been a homicide.
Speaker 10: Do you know what that is?
Speaker 4: She didn't know what homicide meant. She didn't want to act stupid. She never heard the word homicide. She thought it had something to do with them having marijuana. She thought it was a legal term. She said yes, and he said come with me. He read her her rights, he fingerprinted her, and right away she was suspect. Okay, they didn't believe her. Now let's put ourselves dan in the shoes of the detectives. And this is what they're thinking, was, why are you the only one of five teenagers to live, young lady? And what murderer takes you and drops you off by your house when he's done murdering everybody? You know who this is, you were either in on it or you know who did it with it. A jealous ex boyfriend who came out there was mad at you know, for those of you being with those boys who did this. She's desperately trying to tell them this story, and it's Sue falls South Dakota in the early seventies, a sheltered environment, and they're not believing this. They're going, come on, this is a stranger murder like this is too bizarre, This doesn't happen like this. Three perpetrators that don't know anybody just walks in and does all this. So you can understand from the detective standpoint why they might not have believed her at first.
Speaker 10: What is her demeanor though? In when she's questioned you know, she's thirteen years old. So some people would be just a be crying and that's about all they could they could do for themselves. So what was her demeanor.
Speaker 4: She's basically still she's basically still in shock. She writes a twelve page She's been up almost all night. She's been you know, she's not thinking real clear. She's been up all night. She's been sexually assaulted. She'd been confused, she's been frightened, she's scared. You know, she her mind is not thinking real clear, although she remembers a lot of details. She wrote a twelve page handwritten witness statement starting from when the boys picked her up to go out to getchee. We have that part of our investigation. We have a photocopy of that, very detailed and many of it, much of it go right through what I'm telling you right now for your listeners and you tonight. And in her mind, she wants to believe that the boys are not dead. You know, she knows her shot. There's been all this trauma. You know, she saw, she witnesses shooting. You know, she was frighted, she was traumatized, but wanted to still believe that they were alive. They were hit with a tranquilizer gun. And then when her mother's lolo shows up at the police department, Sheriff Craig Vincent, who becomes a main player in this thing. Now, remember he's the Sheriff of Lyon County and Deputy Leroy Greasy were the two jurisdiction law enforcement agents for gets you manit to. Sheriff Vincent shows up down there when she brings her mom in, and Sheriff Vincent tells the mom she's written a detailed thing. We hope we can find these murderers of those boys. And then Sanders said, murderers murder? Is that what homicide means? And then she completely breaks down. Now she realizes the magnitude of what has happened.
Speaker 10: And Vincent, being very receptive, realizes that the demeanor that she expressed when she did that twelve page report very detailed, was as a result of not knowing what homicide meant. That's right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Craig Vincent was who's just recently passed away, by the way, Dan, he was the old time gut instinct lawman. He was one of the few people at that time that believed this girl when a lot of the detectives from the stux Falls Police Department, where you know, they'd get off to the side and they say, come on, this is this is not jiving. This girl knows more than she's telling you. Craig Vincent developed a relationship and she gave a lot of respect for Sheriff Craig Vincent. He believed her. He kept reassuring her, he gave her more confidence. And now this you know, and of course we get into more of that relationship in the book. But this relationship between Vincent and Sandracewsky starts to flourish in the course of this investigation, and it's a you know, it's a very un usual way that they use this girl to try to apprehend these killers.
Speaker 10: Now she he believes in her so much that they gave her they give her a rape kit exam and also that they rely on her for a sketch from the sketch artist. And they did also put her in a protective custody or not protective crustoms. But they were trying to keep her safe, wasn't weren't they?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, they she was put in a safe house for her family. We have three perpetrators. She gives the composite sketches of what these guys look like. And I believe you've you've read the book, right, Dan, So you see how accurate that thirteen year old girl, you know, you know, describe those people for the sketch artists. Okay, we've got the composite sketches right below their actual mugshots, and it's pretty pretty good, pretty good likeness of those people. So they put her in a safe house for their family. There's a man hunt going off with these guys, but yet there's still a faction of the detectives going there's more to this and meets the eye. This girl's not telling the truth. But Vincent believes in this girl.
Speaker 10: Vincent believes in her so much that they also are going to look for the abandoned house that she describes that they were in, and also that she has seems to be peculiar that she has so many details that she can remember about the vehicle, like even like a registration sticker on the and the color and lots of details that she did. So they also went on journeys to try to see if she could recollect or remember where this abandoned house might be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now, you know, for your listeners are done, you gotta remember, here's a thirteen year old girl who was taken by the boss and driven in the dark, okay, and driven several miles away from Get you Manitu okay, And so she doesn't recognize the road or exactly what directions they were. They turned this way, they turned that way. They were on gravel roads, and they were on tar roads. Okay. So sure if Craig Vincent decides to get this girl and a detective in the vehicle each morning and start driving a grid, a circular grid around Sioux Falls, getting wider and wider, going past every farmhouse they can think of. Tell Sandra, maybe we'll see something that she would recognize by that abandoned farm.
Speaker 10: And the thing is that she's and she's and they're driving one day. She's also taken a polygraph test and passed. Yeah, so he's even more confident this Vincent. Now, as they're driving one time, there was another detail whether it was a red gas tank that she said was at this farmhouse. So tell us what happens one day when Vincent and her are driving and what do they discuss?
Speaker 4: Well, do you want me to tell you want me to be the story spoiler there Dan, which we make him by the butcher.
Speaker 10: They'll still buy the book, I'll tell you.
Speaker 4: He says, they'll still buy the buck. Okay, Well, here's what happens. They're also looking for a farm that's not a band and then has a red gas tank. Okay, we didn't we didn't get to this part when when Alan Fryar first left to get you manitude, when the when the boys were left back there to be executed, he into a farm where he had some keys, and there was a big red gas tank sitting next to a barn, and he gassed up his pickup truck with that key, the key to the paddlelock that he had, and he and he gassed at vehicleub then he took off and left again and drove her to the abandoned farm. Well, it turns out that Alan Fryer was a hired hand on that farm, so he did have access and keys to that gas tank. So they were not only looking for the abandoned farm, they were looking for the operational farm that had the big red gas tank setting next to the barn. But they're driving day after day, we goes into weeks. They're just driving and driving and getting frustrated, and Sheriff Vincent is trying to keep this girl spirits up see anything, and then lo and behold. One day they're driving down the road and coming at them as a pickup truck and Sandra starts screaming, there he is, there's a boss right there, And it was Alan Fryer, the boss coming down the road. He had just pulled out when they when they drove after they uh the detective that was riding Sheriff Vincent dropped Sandra off, and the ditch with him turned around and went after Alan Fryer. When they got him handcuffed. He had just come out of the farm where the big red gas tank was. So in a strange twist, this young girl was also involved in apprehending one of the murderers. There's a lot of other twists too, they go with it two.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, we won't get into all the twist because but we will go into just one thing to I guess maybe to leave everybody hanging on a cliff, which would be that when they put these gentlemen in prison, that's not the end of the story. So tell us what happens in prison with these criminals.
Speaker 4: Well, you know David Fryar. Before they went to trial, the youngest one pleaded guilty. I believe his attorney talked him into thinking before he'd have to be sentenced. But I think he thought that by pleading guilty and not going to trial, he might get a better sentence. Okay, Well it turned out he got life without the possibility pro And then he turned around, tried to renege and pull back his guilty plea, and the judge said, no, We're not playing this game. So he shipped off to prison. And now for a year and a half the murder trials are going on and this young girl is used as a prime witness in the course of this. Jr. The rapist and Alan the Boss Friar are locked up in the Lion County Jail in Rock Rapids, Iowa. It's it's the old time jail. This is like something out of Mayberry. The Sheriff Vincent's wife cooked the meals. Uh you know, it was the old time jail for you know, Barney five is working there and they had you know, Sheriff Vincent's kids would play out in the front yard and Alan Fryar would yell out to him, and they'd have a dog and he would bark like a dog and try to yell the and the you know, the parents were telling the kids to stay away, don't talk to him, and uh. The sheriff and his family lived on one side of the wall, the block wall, and on the other side with the jail cells and the office. So it's just kind of like the old time Maybury County Jail.
Speaker 10: Now at the So we we will leave the listener for something for them to look into in terms of purchasing this book and getting the rest of the story, because there's so much material in terms of this about half the story. Because when you mentioned that Sandra Takes is a very important person in this trial, she's the star witness. Obviously, this woman that has endured so much, that was such an innocent young girl, is now have to somehow mature rapidly to be able to handle this vicious basically cross examination at court because it's just not as easy as making getting a conviction with the obvious people being guilty. And the other part of the most important part of your book is the recovery if there is anything or or how she tries to recover anyway her I guess ongoing recovery from this incredible crime, and also the she was considered the Getchy girl. And unbelievably, this is one of the most I guess profound things and more unbelievable things, is the criticism that she got and the isolation that she encountered because of the stigma of being the Getchy girl, and people their children weren't allowed to hang around with her despite the trial and everything else. So I thought that was an amazing story of survival and overcoming these incredible odds and events and discrimination. So I could say there's at least a half the story not to be told here in this interview.
Speaker 4: Well exactly, Dan, And also for the interest of the book, there is a jail break too. Before these guys are found guilty, these guys break out. There's a lot more to this story that we haven't talked about. And then the Getchy Girl. There's where the title of the book comes about. As you said, Dan, And when Sandra got done testifying and finally put these guys away for life, she thought people would appreciate what she did for justice and for those boys. She you know, she didn't want a medal or anything, but She thought people would appreciate what she did. She gave up school for a year and a half, you know, gone all the time to these trials and finally wins the victory of getting these guys locked up. And you know how the defense attorneys can be, they tried to discredit this girl, trip her up.
Speaker 10: You know, when she was.
Speaker 4: Brought into the into the courtrooms, she was it was a media mob. Now you know you're a former, you're a journalist. I will tell you that Sandra had a very good experience with a couple of journalists and wanted particularly and it brought her to the ability to open up a little bit on this story after many years. But at that time there was also a mob mentality. These journalists wanted to mob this girl. You know, she had to be snuck into the side door of the courthouse. They wanted to get a statement, They want to get pictures of her. She was a big celebrity to be seen by all the you know, the the gawkers and the court spectators, and so she had to go through all that as a young girl. And then when it was all done, she just thought people would appreciate it. But she turned out to be the gitchy girl. That was her nickname. And I remember when this happened to this girl, people shunned her. It was like she had done something wrong. And you know, Dan, it was a different day and age back then. Oprah wasn't on TV. It was like, you were raped and you were a sexual assaulted. What did you do wrong? What were you wearing?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 4: Why did you entice the guy? You know, why were you even with those boys? It was like she did something wrong. She was the tainted girl for being with the boys. When they got murdered, people whispered about her. You know, she was alienated at school. She went to school dances and nobody would talk to her dance with her. She said, I felt like I was one hundred years older than everybody else. When those girls were able to talk about going to the dance and first dates and kisses, I was the gitchy girl. I didn't fit anymore. People didn't want to be around me. She dropped out of school, her life started spiraling out of control. It's you know, you know, she physically survived that night. She was a survivor that night physically, but the emotional and spiritual survivor survival for that girl took many different paths that we talk about and how her life went. And you know, Dan, I say, she'll forever be the Getchy Girl. Even to this day she's doing. This book has been immensely good for this girl. We've gone to book signings where hundreds of people have turned out. It's been amazing this book. The hugs that she's getting to tears, She's finally opened up. The girl physically looks better than when we first started interviewing him for this book. She's starting to her emotions are starting to surface. She's finally getting to release through Getchy Girl and through these books signings, and through going and being with me when we do discussions and talks and go places and talk to people. She's really starting to open up. She's really starting to heal now through this book.
Speaker 10: Part of the Too, part of the Ceiling Too, and I won't give any more away of this incredible book, but she finds it in her heart and her mind to go visit the Boss.
Speaker 4: She does. She has a she has a com forty years later, she has a set down with UH and we revealed that in the book. We talk about that confrontation through a victim's advocate. She goes to Fort Madison Prison and Alan, the boss friar who was supposed to kill her that night, let her go, agrees to meet with her and she confronts him on some issues she wanted to And you know, up to that meeting, two weeks before that, this girl was emotionally and physically sick. She almost didn't make it. She was throwing up, she had insomnia. Just the courage it took to her to go into that maximum security prison and face this guy after that many years, and she finally gets to question Dan, she gets to question answered why. He tells her why he didn't kill her that night. But we're not going to tell him that.
Speaker 9: Talk about the.
Speaker 4: Courage of this courage of this young girl through all the things she lived through. And here's something else I'll tell you about Sandra Cheski, the gidchy girl. To this day, Dan, she is still one of the most optimistic people. If she would meet you, she would only look at your good points, Dan. She only wants to try to see the best in people. Here's a girl that could be bitter and hateful for what her life has been like and how people treated her and what she lived through. But she she's you know, she she's got so much good in her. I mean, she's an amazing person and I'm just so proud of her, and you know, proud that she opened up and allowed my wife and I to do this story. We thought this book would sell around the soup falls ere. We had no idea the number one national bestseller. We had no idea of the call we're getting, you know, to go speak of the book signings. I mean, it's just been incredible. It's just the book has gone better than we ever thought it would. But I you know, I guess now that people are telling us it's got all the right elements.
Speaker 10: So just tell us a little bit about this book was not was co authored by your wife, Sandy, So tell us about her role with this book. And and and really when did you I know that you are from this area, but is your wife also? And again, tell us a little bit more about your personal stake in this story.
Speaker 4: Well, know, Dan, you've got listeners that are writers, and they're avid readers. Very difficult and very very difficult to land a publishing contract, even when you write a great book like Issue Girl. You know, there's great writers that you know, they try, and I happened a five years ago, write memoirs of my life. I had a very harsh child growing up. I kept it all quiet. It just kind of came out as a fluke. I'm a high school teacher in English, and I wrote these memoirs and about overcoming a very impoverished neighborhood, federal housing units, a lot of domestic violence, a lot of bullying, having a lot and do a lot of fist fighting. You know. You know, between me and three of my buddies when I was a young man, we accumulated fifty two arrests felony charges, two shot to stay, one paralyze. I made the road the only one that didn't go to prison and jail out of that long term jail out of that group of friends of mine, my life got turned around. I became this high school teacher, I sidestepped felony charged. My life changed immensely when those books land and those books landed rare publishing contract. So I had a connection with a publishing company out of Texas, Electal Publishing, and Sandra I ran into her periodically. I gave her my memoirs to read. Her brother said that was kind of a turning point for her. She thought maybe she could help other people if she shared her story. So we knew this book was going to be even though it could have been a thousand page book. Now for your for your listeners, it's not a very long book. We wanted it not to be a real expensive book or people to have to sit and read for three weeks. So I got my wife on board, who's also teaching reading and writing here in the Susiti school district. She did lengthy interviews with Sandra Chesky emails, She interviewed law enforcement people, she crossed, referenced a lot of things on the internet. You know those murderers, the Friar Brothers. They would say one thing one time, and then another thing another time, and then the court records would say another thing. So we had to in order to get it as acridate as possible. And then while Sand my wife, Now that's the confusing part. Sandra Cheskey is the getchy girl, my wife Sandy, they both had the same name. My wife, the author goes by Sandy. Sandra is a gitchy girl. So while my wife Sandy was doing interviews and cross referencing things, I was going to the clerk, of course, digging through boxes of investigative records, autopsy reports, doing all that kind of stuff. Then we'd bring everything together, lay it out. What do we want to keep, what do we want to throw out, What is going to appeal to the male reader the female reader? Do we want it real long? Okay, So we had you know, that's kind of how it is, and that's how it went, and then of course we worked with Sandra Cheski. Now when it was all said and done, you know, on Amazon, it's got lots and lots of reviews. It's you know, uh, getting very good ratings. And we've had a few law enforcement uh people that were actually part of the investigation or involved in this thing have actually got on Amazon and given reviews and said, this book is very accurate. I know for a fact, I was involved in the investigation. I know the actual case file. So we did a pretty good job of the accuracy. So we've got we've got a multi level story. It reads with a little bit of flavor of a true crime, which it is. We give some investigative stuff, but it's got a deep human interest side too, and so it's it's not lots of you know, real lengthy kill. On one side, it's a pretty balanced book. I think we try to do a pretty good job of balancing the book out for a variety of readers. I think that's why it's been pretty popular.
Speaker 10: Well, I think really you just capture a unique story. Again, that's what people were looking for, a different story, and this one has those unique elements to it. And mostly in that how this woman starts at thirteen and how she can evolve, because really she should have been damaged beyond repair from this age and what she had seen, what she experienced, because like I say, when she thinks that her friends aren't killed or killed when she's arrested, she's detained, she's used to find these inmates, they escape, her family has to be put in isolation. It just seems to never end for this woman. But like you say, incredible optimism. Once she confronts these people at court and at trial, then goes to see them see him in prison. This woman does everything in her I mean that I've ever heard of in my life to be able to heal herself. And unlike many other books where you say, well, no one really recovers if there ever is a tale of recovery. It's this woman just because she feels it's her inherent right to be able to recover from this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what a strong person, you know. And Dan, she never got any counseling, not back then, not ever. You know, it was back in the day, you know, back in the early seventies. You know, it was just kind of like, you don't talk about those things. You don't bring up rape, you don't bring up domestic violence incests. Oprah wasn't on TV. Those were just taboo things that were kept quiet. And even her family, her brothers, who loved her desperately wanted to help this girl, but they didn't. It was like, you don't talk about it, don't talk about that night that night, just don't open those old wounds, and it'll just go away on it own. Well, it stayed in. This girl infested, and she had to find all these ways, like you said, her inherited right to try to survive this thing. So she's constantly working on her emotional and spiritual survival with all these different methods. And that's kind of an interesting part too. How this girl comes around And Sandra said herself that she hopes that her story will be able to give inspiration to people who have gone through hard times and know that they can survive and they can find ways and not to give up, you know, And that was one of the things. And another reason why she opened up this late and told this story is that she now has grandchildren who are about the age Dan that she was when this Getchy situation took place. They're now old enough to become interested in this case. And there's lots of untruth out there on the internet about this murder. You know, there was a lot of controversy, a lot of bad talking about Sandra, and there still is. This girl was just bullied on social media like two weeks ago for telling this story. Wow, I told Sandra, when this thing comes out, Sandra, you're gonna you're gonna you're gonna have to go back to You're tough, You're a survivor. You know how it's gonna be. There's gonna be a lot of people that are gonna love the story. But there's always those people like Dan, You're you know, blog talk radio is the best show around, and there'll always be somebody that's gonna knock it. There's always those people that it's about who it's about them. It's not really about Sandra, the godge girl. It's about them. And I you know, I've had to talk to Sandra about this. You know, she's still you know, emotionally fragile. And then you'll get these people that will bully her on social media. You know, there was a particular relative of one of the boys that were murdered that didn't want this story told, you know, just don't bring it up. And so this person's been you know, mean to this girl, and so that's what I'm saying, She'll forever be the gidgy girl.
Speaker 10: Yeah, incredible. One last thing before I just talk to you about how people might be able to contact you, is that a very interesting part of the story is that a crucial person in this after the murders is the would be boyfriend Roger or the short lived boyfriend Roger. His brother and so was a big help in her recover.
Speaker 4: I would say too, yes he was. But then again that family grew up and moved off and got married, and you know, she lost her support group there. You know, this girl. The book is very interesting how this girl's life had been a roller coaster, you know, until she does finally find stability and how she finds it, and you know, and again she'll still gets into a funk Dan, she'll uh, you know, there'll be a certain song that will come on from that era. You know, this girl had classic survivor's guilt. She had post traumatic stress. You know, it's just still you know, those terms weren't coined until a lot of those guys came back from Vietnam and then they started realizing the people that have gone through a traumatic situation, you know, they've they've got these symptoms. This girl had classic survivor's guilt. You know she uh, you know, she didn't think that she should be alive when the boys were gone. You know, it's a classic survivor's guilt. It's just an amazingly strong girl.
Speaker 10: Yeah. Well, I want to thank you Phil for coming on and talking about the get You Girl, the survivors inside story of the mass murders that shocked the Heartland. For those that might want to contact you. Do you do Facebook? Do you have a website?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got I've got an author's Facebook site, Phil Hammon or Phil Hammon Author at gmail dot com. You know, they can they can private message, you know on Facebook. I try to answer everybody, and so, yeah, I try to get back to everybody that if they've got a private message, it's at Phil Hammond author website, and so either the Facebook, there's a Facebook site, you know, if they type in Getchy Girl, it'll pop up. There'll be all kinds of stuff that'll pop up. If they top pop my name in there, Phil Hammond, h it'll pop up, and yeah, they can get a hold of me. And I'm always interested in, you know, doing other things for people or answering people's questions. I try to, you know, spend a certain part of the day just answering you know, private messages and emails and things like that.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 10: So well, that's great, Bill, Thank you very much for coming on and talking about this book, The Getschy Girl. It's fascinating story and a very unique story of again incredible recovery and a tale that the twists and turns and really keeps you on the edge of your seat and incredible books. So thank you very much for.
Speaker 4: Say, yeah, one last thing we do give for book sales and ebook sales, we do give a percentage of that to that girl who lived through that night, and we give a percentage of the counsel and sexual assault, domestic violence, so it's a you know, we do try to take care of some people too with the book sales, so just.
Speaker 10: So they know that, well, that's a fantastic addition to just a great book too as well a great cause. Thank you very much, and again, thank you very much, Phil.
Speaker 4: You have a great v Dan, thanks for having me having me on.
Speaker 10: Thank you, good night, good night,