Speaker 1: Here's your nine firstwenty one to forecast.
Speaker 2: We have a sunny day to day highest seventy eight clear of a night fifty six, another sunny day tomorrow, I have eighty another clear night fifty seven, and another sunny day Saturday for the highest seventy nine to fifty two degrees. Right now, let's hear about traffic conditions from chuck.
Speaker 3: Ingram from the uc UP Transit Center. As the only Level one trauma center in the region, u SEE Health is setting the national standard for emergency care and preparedness with new additions to the er joots. You see Health when you need expert care. Southbound seventy five continues off and on slow. Tyler's VILLEA two seventy five with the wreck just above two seventy five on the right shoulder, right lane remains block. Northbound seventy one with a wreck before Red Bank. That traffic back's close to Smith Edwards, Chucking, Vermont fifty five krs.
Speaker 1: The talk station.
Speaker 2: AY twenty nine fifty five Krsite talks station Happy Thursday, Friday, even extra happy every week because this time we get iHeartMedia Aviation expert Jay rat Up on the program talking aviation issues and often the stock market issues. To welcome back to Jay. I always love having you on the show, my friend.
Speaker 4: Good morning to you.
Speaker 2: Well, there's no details on this, and I found this. I was going through preparing for the show this morning, and anytime I see an aviation article of well, unusual one, anyway, I always printed out to talk to you about it. There was there was speaking of unusual described as an unusual odor.
Speaker 1: You saw this one too.
Speaker 2: The Quantis flight left Sydney, Australia on Wednesday and expected to head on over to Wellington, New Zealand. Apparently I had to turn around because well, an unusual odor was on the plane. I guess one flight attendant fell ill as a consequence. But that's about all we know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we've had situations before. Where have there been shall we describe a new odors that might have might be coming into the aircraft. It might be from a mechanical situations that's feeding something into the cockpit air that is causing some discomfort and in some cases worse than that. Sometimes it can come from other sources that you know are more unpleasant, but they don't tend to have that impact. Would be like a laboratory that's having some issues. But yeah, and they're going to err on the side of caution each time because when they start having that take place, you're worried about other passengers. But again, and I hate to always have to say this, but you know it from a legal standpoint, when they're made aware of something that could be a potential problem, you are then measured by your response to that situation that you know could be an issue for your passengers. How did you respond you were aware something was going on, what did you do next? And you know that's one of the other reasons that from the laws side of things, you want to do everything you can to show that you are responding to the event as it's taking place, and that's why they are on the side of caution and normally try to get that aircraft from the ground as soon as they can to make sure that whoever's been impacted can be treated, and also to make sure that they can remove the passengers from the cabin before anybody else starts to show any sort of reaction to the conditions.
Speaker 2: Well, fair enough, that's just you know, we've had other articles involving odors where we can trace it directly to the source. Pretty comical and yet embarrassing for some. But since the odor was it was not identified. I just thought it was rather weird. But that is not to tell people.
Speaker 4: Bran. I've had to tell people over the years at the gate area that they couldn't fly because they smelled like they hadn't taken a bath in three years. Okay, that's a that's a delicate conversation, that's what that's when my agents call me, Jay, we need you out the gate area and they go, okay, what's going on now? You know, you'll pull them off to the side and you and you just as delicately as you can explain that you know. And I always used to say, you know, these seats are smaller than they've ever been. It's so unfair, and you're on top of everybody, and you know this and that, and unfortunately, when you're in that kind of environment, some of the odors that you know, that are given off sometimes in affect are the passengers. And it's not an easy one to have because like telling somebody they're too big to fit into a single seat and they need to buy two.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but you see.
Speaker 2: Demonstrably, you can prove it by trying to fit them into single seat.
Speaker 4: But some people that maybe have a body yodor that they are have grown accustomed to over the days, weeks, months, they don't smell anything. But you know, it's like pigpin on Charlie Brown. Everybody goes flying, you know, get out of the way.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, let's talk like visuals.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I know anyhow, we have laser strikes. This is This is when some idiot has a laser pointer and he's pointing it at the cockpit of an airplane is flying by. Is that Is that what we're talking about in the story.
Speaker 4: It is it. And a lot of people are thinking, come on, Jay, are they even that powerful? Yes, they are. They almost look like a lightsaber. And I have no clue because I don't think this way, Thank god, I don't think this way. Why anybody in their backyard grilling that hamburgers late and I sees an airplane flying overgone, you know, I wonder if I could actually point this laser up there and kind of paint this aircraft as it flies over. Well, the problem is that when that laser hits the ceiling of the cockpit, there's such a bright light that immediately is thrown into the face of the flight crew. They are momentarily distractive. Now keep in mind they'ret a critical time of flight. They're on normally on takeoff or landing, most time landing as they're coming in low, and the last thing you want to do is distract the pilots. Now, we've had some pilots that have actually incurred eye damage because of this, some have been forced to stop flying because of it. And I think from what I remember from that report Brian in Boston, this was we've had more than eight thousand of these this year.
Speaker 1: Eight thousand.
Speaker 4: Yes. Now here's the issue. If you and I are flying we get blasted with one of these things, we notify air traffic control, who tries to tell us, as we're flying three hundred and eleven knots or something, where did it come from? When you're looking out the window in the back, you can't. I mean your long pass where it rights. And all you can do at that point is to give the law enforcement people an approximate location. And they hardly ever catch these people unless somebody on the ground notices it and calls it nine to one one to report it and thank you for everyone who does. But these idiots, I don't think they understand, at least I hope they don't, that they're placing the lives of everybody on that aircraft at risk when they do that kind of crap, and the idea that it continues and continues and continues, and some of these numbers have escalated big time over the years. I mean, we got to catch them so we can start making examples out of people, because I mean, throw them in jail, do something that's the message that this kind of activity is absolutely well dangerous in your endangering the lives of many people, and it's totally.
Speaker 1: Unacceptable, unacceptable.
Speaker 2: I would also say extraordinarily anxiety inducing, because that laser might just not be some punk idiot on the ground trying to have fun, but it may be very well be attacked to a high powered rifle or some other form of rocket launcher or something that's got a laser focus on it. I mean that would be the first thing that went through my mind. I'm target im being.
Speaker 4: Targeted, yeah, and some surface air missiles on its way. It's a concern and it always has been, in fact, prior to the attacks to nine to eleven, that was our concern that surface air missiles were going to be used against commercial aviation because sadly it's getting easier needs and easier to acquire that kind of technology. And that was way back then. Certainly the case now and the aviation industry is you and I have talked about for such a long time, Brian is always a target for terrorists because the airline industry is an integral part of our nation's economy. And when you go or stop the movement of the passenger's cargo, me on all the things within the airline industry in the twenty six thousand flight today commercially or so that we have, it really can have an adverse impact on our economy. So that's one of the reasons because A gets a lot of press coverage and b it impacts our nation's economy. Why aviation has been and continua will be target, whether it be airports or aircraft.
Speaker 2: And with that recent advisory about the likelihood of a terror episode increase soon as is all frightening stuff, Jay right left, let's possible bring it back talking about things getting weird on a call with Delta Airlines plus the real id act and how that could be delayed more with Jay right.
Speaker 4: Left, be right back fifty five KRC President Sho.
Speaker 1: Keeps in the system, Jay rightlift.
Speaker 2: I heard be the AVASN expert pivoting over to Delta Airlines. What got weird in your word over Delta Airlines today?
Speaker 4: Well, there was a passenger, a man that had a problem with his itiner came up. He his wife and the small baby are traveling, so he calls Delta reservations and of course it takes a while to get through. Once the call went through, he noticed that the future of his travel plans was in the hands of his ex girlfriend. Whoops. Oh yes, now you can try to disguise your voice. But the problem is they've got all your information on the other side. Well, they pull up the reservation, so the guy really doesn't know how it's going to go. And then the woman on the other end says, so flying first class with the wife and baby, huh pretty nice? So, I mean apparently from that point it went downhill fast. So he was asked later if he gave the agent a five star rating on the survey. He said no, he did not, but Brian, what are the chants? And of course his wife sitting right next to him during this awkward call, wondering what the world's going on? But what's the odds of calling somewhere and your ex girlfriend, which apparently may not have ended on the best of terms, answers the phone, and she's the one that's gonna try to save the day for you. Jeez.
Speaker 2: I'm just busily going going over my past relationships and trying to remember whether I broke up with them or they.
Speaker 1: Broke up with me.
Speaker 4: So I'm thinking, Okay, guy's got a baby. How recent was this girlfriend?
Speaker 1: Well that's another good question, Jack.
Speaker 4: I don't want to think that way, but you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's twenty twenty four. No one would be surprised. No one would be surprised.
Speaker 4: Oh good, well they would be in some cases, and I'm glad they would be if it were your eye. But yeah, we don't know about this guy.
Speaker 2: That is true, all right? Well, the real id act. Remind my listeners what that is and why it may be delayed again and what that might what the implications behind that might be.
Speaker 1: Jay.
Speaker 4: The attacks of nine to eleven take place two thousand and five. Congress says we've got to have a way that TSA can better identify any fake IDs people are trying to use to travel. So we're going to have the states have a consistent, uniform looking driver's license that will be TSA approved, and everybody has until two thousand and eight to get it implemented all the states. Well, two thousand and eight approaches and guess what not, everybody's got their homework turned in. So I had to delay it three more years, and then they have to delay it five more years, and then we have the pandemic which caused them delay it three more years. And now May of twenty twenty five. This you have to have your homework turned in stage by the May of next year. But now the TSA is saying, I think we're going to need to push it back to twenty twenty seven. It's not everybody, Brian, it's what you act like. It has to do with aviation security or something. You sound alarmed. What's the big deal, right? I mean, it just it. You know, I don't understand why you can't say this is the deadline everybody. Now, if you didn't have it, if you still had an active asport, you could use that. There's fourteen I think different acceptable forms of identification on the TSA website, and if you fly somewhere and you lose your ID, don't panic. Get to the airport early. And there are ways that the TSA can verify that we are who we say we are. They even use social media. There's a lot of things that they'll use. You'll have to go through some extra screening, get ready for that enhanced pat down. But the point is there's ways to work. The TSA is easy to work with in a lot of ways as long as you give them advanced notice. But the problem with this real ID act is it's almost going to be twenty years after it was the deadline. But is that a government situation or what? It just it blows my mind because I'm thinking this is a security related issue and we're okay, well the twenty year delay over when it's just well nineteen excuse me, don't send me an email. I get my math. But the point is it's almost two decades.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that is mind blowing day. I mean, the idea inefficiency of government never ceases to amazing. But that and I guess the other component of it is, you know, if you're talking about the reliability of any given piece of identification technology has changed so much that manufacturing a genuine in all thing way shapes and forms, complete with hologram fake ID is possible, and it is currently being done. A lot of people get in touch with our partners over in China and have you know, young people who looking for a fake ID can have those made and sent home to your front door.
Speaker 4: And I'm told I've never seen them that they look identical.
Speaker 1: I've seen them they are look they look dead on jay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And here's the issue. You've got these TSA people that already are charged with so many different things, and you add that on top of the list. And you know, the airports are moving towards facial recognition. That's what they're hoping to use around the world. We're already testing it a lot of different markets. You'll see the facial recognition technology at airport ticket counters. It'll soon be at the checkpoints. And the thought is, you and I can walk up to a Delta counter. You know, our faces scan within three seconds they're starting the process checking our bags. We don't have to pull out our ID. We go to the TSA checkpoint. Instead of that, they facial recognition boom away you go and even at the gate, same sort of situation that allows us to then bord our airplane. The thought is to make it more seamless as we travel now, a lot of people that don't like government being too big, too intrusive, or saying uh uh, I don't want that, and they're saying, Okay, that's fine. You can opt out of all of that and get in a lane that is going to be dedicated for people that aren't comfortable with facial recognition. But facial recognition is already used all over the place. You ever gone to a World Series or an All Star Game or the Super Bowl? I guarantee you it's all over the place. With reguards to security. Ever been in a casino, there's so many things that are there that are already being implemented. Sometimes from a security standpoint, we may or may not be aware of it. Probably not so to me. I don't mind it at all, because if they can, they're also trying security where you walk down a corridor and you're screened by different machines as you walk through this hallway, and you only stop for screening if they've got a question. If not, you never break stride from the counter to the gate and a way you go. So they're trying all kinds of different avenues with advanced technology to try to make things easier and faster for us as we travel. I love it everything they can do to make it safer, faster, more convenient. For the most part, I'm all for. I don't mind full body imaging scans. We need them because that detects powder and liquid explosives, where the magnetometers only used to give us metal if it's scrapped to our bodies. So we're making the right kinds of advancements, obviously not as fast as I would like, but the facial recognition technology, I'm all for.
Speaker 2: It understood and real quick. Here on interested time, I have to ask you this, though all types of businesses may very well be impacted by the longshorm and strike on the East Coast and the Gulf Coast, is that going to have an impact on aviation issues at all currently?
Speaker 4: No, But when you're looking at some airlines are going to be looking at the possibility of a delay in part from a maintenance standpoint. That's the issue now. Right now, we're thankfully in the slowest travel time of the year in September but we're coming into the next month, the holiday travel season. That's Thanksgiving, always the busiest travel week of the year, and then of course we've got the end of the air traffic middle of December on. If this strike goes on for weeks, we could see some issues that start to impact flights next year, and we don't want that because if parts cannot be delivered, that means certain airplanes can't be used. Now, airlines might have a few extra aircraft they can substitute into the fleet in the aircraft rotation, but you can only do that from a flow control standpoint for so long, and then all of a sudden, you're gonna have to start canceling flights. That means fewer flights in the air, that means higher fares. We don't want that, which is one of the reasons that we need to get it resolved soon, the same reason we want the Boeing strike to be resolved soon. Boeing has like forty eight hundred back orders of planes and it's causing the airlines to get fewer aircraft, and they want more because they want to introduce more airplanes, more seats into their schedule, and look, more seats means cheaper fares. We want all this stuff to end quickly. And I'm sorry that Boeing striking workers. A thirty percent increase wasn't enough. They wanted forty percent. You know, when they went through this sixteen years ago, Brian Bowing was coming off their best year ever in profits, and the people that were striking wanted a piece of the pie. I get it. Boeing is not coming off their best year ever, and you and I both know that. So I'm really hoping they can settle this quickly and get back to firing on all cylinders. They've got so many issues they need to hammer out. The striker has got to finish, but if it doesn't, it could start impacting us on fares.
Speaker 1: All right, and we'll close out as we always do, a real quick hub delay.
Speaker 4: I want a good day of travel. We've got at Minneapolis. May give us minor delays. That's it. In honor of you today our phone call. Yeah, it's going to be a beautiful day to travel.
Speaker 2: A great, great way to end the segment, Jay Rile up until next Thursday. Best to health you and your better half God bless you, sir. Look forward to next Thursdays, eight forty nine, coming up with an eight fifty fifty five KRC the talk.
Speaker 1: Station right back, fifty five KRC. Home values in city or sky high, and you have a ton of