Speaker 1: Welcome back to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, And if you're brand new with us, we're so glad that you found us. You know, every day we dive into Pastor Rick Warren's teaching, and today we're beginning a new series called Shape to make a Difference. Rick likes to use acrostics, and this one is called Shape Shape your spiritual gifts, your heart, your abilities, personality, and experiences. Rick uses that to talk about the way that God has wired you. And while it's good to know your shape, it's more important to use it to do the things that God has made you to do. So let's jump right in. Here's Pastor Rick with part one of a message called why God shaped you the way He did.
Speaker 2: Everything in this world God made, and nothing's a copy. Every tree is different, every plant is different, every animal is different. Certainly every human being is different. There's no boy like you in the entire world. And you don't have to realize that God has done almost creative overkill in that he never makes copies of anything. Even twins aren't exactly alike. That God makes everything an original. Now did you know that, for instance, in one cubic foot of snow, there are eighteen million snowflakes, and in those eighteen million snowflakes, not one of them is like any of the other eighteen million. That's creative overkill, Okay, God, nobody will ever even know that except a scientist. Every snowflake is different. Now, God could have made us all alike. He could have just had a conveyor belt mass produced human beings. Put us all on a belt, and we all look the same, talk the same, speak the same have the same color, have the same hair. And but God didn't want to do that. Why Because an original is always worth more than a copy. And you are worth far more as an original than you are as a copy of somebody else. And God says you are valuable. God created you, Jesus died for you. God's spirit lives in you. That's how much you matter to God. Now, the Bible is very clear that God specifically shapes every human being to his customized standards. And there's nobody like you in the entire world. You are unique. You're not one in a million, you're one in six billion. And God does this, as I said, because he wants everything to be an original. And he did this from the very first with the very first man, Adam and his wife Eve. They're on your outline if you'll pull it out. We're starting a new series and we're talking the night about why God shaped you the way he did. And in Genesis too, it says this God shaped man from the soil of the ground, and he blew the breath of life into his nostrils, and man became a living being. And I want you to circle the word shaped, because this word is found all through the Bible. God says that he customed shaped you, and there's nobody else shaped exactly like you. In fact, let's read the next verse together. You made my whole being. You formed me in my mother's body. I praise you because you made me in an amazing and wonderful way. You saw my bones being formed as I took shape in my mother's body when I was put together. There, you saw my body as it was formed. All the day's planned for me were written in your book before I was one day old. Now there's some verbs there I've underlined, but I think you ought to circle them because I want you to see what God did for you before you were even born. The Bible says you made me. Circle that word made you formed me in my mother's body, circle formed. You saw my bones being formed. In other words, inside your mother's womb. As I took shape, you shaped me where I was put together. God put you together. Circle that all the days were planned for me. God planned you every day of your life. He planned in advance before I was one day old. Now notice this, It says God made me, God formed me, God saw me, God shaped me, God put me together, and God planned every day of my life before I was even born. Now, friends, that is why abortion is wrong, because abortion short circuits a human being that God had planned for creation. And the Bible says all these things. He says, I formed you, I thought you up before you were even created or conceived. Now you've heard me say this many times. There are accidental parents, but there are no accidental children. You are not an accident. There are illegitimate parents, but there are no illegitimate children. Your parents may not have planned you, but God did. And it doesn't really matter whether your parents were good or bad or indifferent, or maybe you never even knew them, or maybe you were orphaned, or maybe your father mother your father died before you were born, or you lost your mother somehow and you really got to know them. It doesn't matter. Yes, it matters, but it doesn't matter in the fact that God chose them to be your parents. Why because God knew they had exactly the right DNA to create you. And God was more interested in creating you than he was in their parenting skills. Does that make sense? God was more interested in making you, and they had just the right DNA that any other two people on the planet wouldn't have had to create the way He wanted to create you. And you are not an accident. Now these truths. Look at the next verse. It says, your hands formed and shaped me. Did you know that you were hand made by God? Hand crafted? You're not an assembly line. God was intricately, intimately involved in the specifics of creating you. That What does it mean, Well, it means you're not an accident. It means that God chose every detail of your life, even the stuff you don't like, the stuff you consider weaknesses, and He chose it for you. And after God broke made you, he broke the mold and nobody ever else would be like you. And when you get to Heaven, God doesn't want you to be anybody else, he will say, why weren't you more like you? He broke the mold. And when when God made Adam, he broke the mold. When God made Eve, he broke the both. Adam looked at Eve and said, Honey, you're the only woman in the world for me. Of course, he was the only guy telling the truth. What the truth is. Nobody else will ever be exactly like you. You could go at him, you could go on around the world tour just like I did, and search the entire world. And you're never going to find anybody with your thumb print, with your footprint, with your voice print, with your EyePrint. You're never going to find anybody with the exact combination of your personality, with the exact combination of your experiences and all the things that God has given to make you you. You're unique. Now, why did God go to all that trouble? Well, as I said, because he wanted you to be original. If he had wanted you to be somebody else, he would have not made you. He would have made somebody else, But he wanted you. Now, the problem is this twofold. First, most people don't like the way they are. I've found that Most people in the world really don't accept themselves, and they're always going I wish I was taller, I wish I was smaller, I wish I was thinner. I wish I had red hair, brown hair, black hair. I wish I had a different skin color. I don't like my nose, I don't like my teeth, I don't like I wish I had more talent. Why couldn't I be like her? Why couldn't I be like him? And they don't really accept themselves, And they're always comparing and competing rather than accepting what God made them to be. And when you do that, it causes all kinds of problems in your life. Most people do not accept themselves, and as a result of that, they live frustrated lives. And the second thing to do is they try to be like somebody else. I said, well, I gotta wear shoes like her, and I gotta dress like him, and I gotta make as much money as he did, and I gotta do what she did, and I got to please my parents and all these different things. And most people start off as originals and end up as carbon copies. Now, let me just be real honest with you. If you're not gonna be you. We don't need you here on earth because there's somebody else already taking that spot. If you're here, it means God says you have something to contribute that Rick Warren can't, or you can't, or anybody else can't contribute. Only you can be you. Only you can be you, And God says I made you, I shaped you, I designed you. Now, about twenty years ago, I came up with a little acrosstick called shape shape to talk about the five things that make you you. But your shape has so much by the way, when I say shape in orangetin, I have to remind this is not a fitness or weight loss program. Okay, oh they're talking about shape. It's saddle back.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: My shape is the way God wired you for your life. And every area of your life is influenced by the way you're shaped. You don't even realize it, but all of the things that God put in you to make you you influences every single area of your life. I just jotted down a few areas. For instance, the way you are shaped determines what classes you should focus on in school and which ones you should avoid. Some of you, it would have been a big help to know your shape before you went to college, because we wasted a lot of time in college and classes that didn't really matter. If I want to give a testimony on that, Yeah, okay, all right. Your shape determines what kind of friends you should have. We're going to talk about some of these in this series in the next few weeks. Your shape determines the type of person you should marry, and the more you understand about you, the more likely you're going to choose the right person for marriage. Your shape determines the temptations you're most likely gonna be tempted by and that you need to be prepared for. There's some things that tempt me that won't tempt you. There's some things that tempt you that won't tempt me. What Because the way we're shaped, your shape determines why certain things frust you straight you more than they do your wife or your husband, because you're shaped differently. Your shape determines the best career that's fit for you, your best career fit. Your shape determines the best work environment for you, the best ministry for you. Your shape determines where you are bound to fail in life and where you are bound to succeed in life, and in the week's say, we're going to look at many of these. Now I'm telling you that the series we're starting may be the most important series I've done since we did Forty Days of Purpose, because you have to know your shape in order for you to be all God wants you to be. When you know what God made you to do, it reduces your stress, It increases your satisfaction, It raises your self esteem, it increases the odds of your success. And when you are working in the area of your shape, then you're going to go, Wow, that's me. It's what I was made to do. It's fulfilling, and it's fruitful. In other words, you succeed at it and you're satisfied by it. Now, I'll be real honest with you in the next six weeks. This week, in the next week, some of you, as we go through this series are going to realize I'm in the wrong job, and I'm going to be honest. As your passions say, then you need to change it. I don't care how much money you're making. Life is too short to waste it on a job you're not shaped for. So there may be changes that have to take place in your life. Now tonight, as we start this series, we're gonna just ask three questions, what is my shape? Many of you already know this, or what is shape? Then we're gonna look at why does it matter? And then we're going to look at what should I what should I do about it? My first steps? Now, I came up with this acrostic about as I said about twenty years ago. But I thought, as we do this first point, that we'd have Eric Reeve's pastor, Eric come and talk to us about shape. Would you give him a warm welcome?
Speaker 3: All right? So what does this word shape mean? It's really your design. You were designed by God to make a difference for God, and the Bible teaches us in Ephesians two ten that when God looks at you and I, he says we are masterpieces. Now there's probably days in your life like mine, you don't feel like a masterpiece. But God says we are masterpieces, and we were made to make a difference for him, a kingdom difference. So how do you figure out the difference you were designed to make? You start with your design, and that's what we're going to do and over these next few weeks. As we look at the word shape shape, the S in shape stands for spiritual gifts. Now, the Bible teaches us that many things happen to us when we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and savior. And one of the things that happens is we receive spiritual gifts. But like any gift, you have to take the time to unwrap it. And when you unwrap it, then you can put it to use. And so as we journey through these weeks together, we're going to help you unwrap your spiritual gifts. There's over twenty listed in the New Testament, and each and every one of us is gifted by God for his glory, not for ourselves, but for his glory. And we want to help you understand what are you gifted to do? The H in shape stands for heart. You might want to write the word next to that passion. What are you excited about? As Rick likes to say, what's the quiver in your liver? What is the thing that gets you up in the morning, What turns your crank? There are certain things you are so passionate about, and there's certain things you're not. Reminds me of a time, about thirteen years ago, my wife and I, who are just members of the church at that time, decided that I was going to serve one weekend in the nursery. We didn't have children at that time, so I'm thinking, okay, I can go do something in the nursery. And so I show up and the lady as I'm getting taught what to do that day, she says, Eric, your job is to be the transporter. It's like, okay, she says, when the babies come in, I'm going to hand the baby to you, and You're going to take the baby over to these wonderful people over here that are going to pray for the baby and care for the baby and feed the baby and change the baby, all those things. I'm thinking, I can do this. So first baby comes to the door, having like one of those half doors. The mom hands the baby over. I'm so excited because it's a boy and he's not crying. So I'm thinking, okay, So I grab the baby from this lady and as I turn, I'm looking at him out like this, and his head starts to go into his shoulders and.
Speaker 4: He's looking at me like, dude, you don't have a clue, and I really didn't because I had never held a baby before. And so as I turned and went to hand him to this wonderful lady that was ready to accept.
Speaker 3: This baby, he started to drip and I'm thinking, oh, no, pampers did not come through. I'm getting rid of this baby. So I hand the baby over to the lady, thinking it's time to get the next baby. I turn around and I'm meeted with the lady. Eric, maybe you should just greet the people at the door. Okay, now I'm a greeter, but you know what, friends, As I think about that moment, there were people in that room that loved being with the babies. They're probably steal over in the nursery today, Amen, because they have a passion to work with little children babies. Where did they get that passion from God? So my question to you is what are you passionate about? And we want to help you unlock that passion for God's glory as we travel through this series so spiritual gifts. The AH is for heart, the A is for abilities. What natural abilities has God given you? You have certain abilities five six, seven hundred of them, and we want to help you kind of raise the ones up to the top so you can claim them and use them for God's glory in significant ways as we help you define your specific purpose in life.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: The P in the word shape stands for personality. This is where we look to answer the question how has God wired me? We all navigate life differently. Some of us in this room are very competitive, and some of us are very cooperative. Some of us are extroverts and some of us are introverts. Some of us are self expressive, while others of us would be self controlled. Some of us in the room just love variety, while others in this room would just love to be around routine. And then God takes a man and a woman in a marriage and sticks routine and variety together. It's like his little joke or something. I'm just kidding. It only happens in my marriage. I know that. So, but how has God wired you? Don't try to be an extrovert. If God made you an introvert, just be the best introvert you can for the glory of God.
Speaker 2: The E in the word shape.
Speaker 3: Stands for experiences. Experiences. We have all kinds of experiences in our lives, and you know what, it doesn't matter if you were raised in the Beaver Cleaver household or the monsters. God can use it all he can, and he wants to the positive and the painful. You know, for years I didn't want to let anybody know about certain experiences in my life because I thought no way could God use this. But I finally came to the moment of letting people know and letting God just take this pain from my past because I was raised by a very abusive alcoholic father and for years I just hid from it. But when I let it go God, I had brought a flood of people into my life, and you know what, they wanted to talk because they too were abused by alcoholic parents. And as we sat at Starbucks and looked eye to eye, we knew that we'd been through something and we could pray for one another. What's the experience in your past that maybe you just keep wanting to hold back? But God is going to challenge you in this series to let it come out.
Speaker 2: For his glory.
Speaker 3: For his glory, because friends, the bottom line is this, you were made by God to make a difference for God. So as we start this series, jump in with both feet and do whatever it takes. And my challenge to you is give yourselves permission to see yourselves as the masterpiece you were created to be great. Ready.
Speaker 2: So these five things that Eric just talked about, spiritual gifts, heart abilities, personality experiences. These are the five things that make you you. And in that combination of spiritual gifts that you have heart passion interests. Why do you think you have those interests? God gave them to you. You're interested in golf or sports, or hunting, or sewing, or art or music or a million other things. Where do you think you got that interest? You got it from God. God wired it into your system because he wanted us all to do different things. If we all like to do the same thing, there'd be a lot left undone in the world. So God gives you these five things. You're unique and you're special and nobody's going to be like you. And if you don't be you, there's going to be a whole missing in history.
Speaker 1: What a great and timely message today. Let's end our show with a closing thought from pastor Rick.
Speaker 2: When you give your time and your energy and your talent and finances to God, even when you don't have a lot of these things. God takes notice, and it is pleasing to him. That's because you're showing him that you can be trusted with the things he gives you, and that you're developing one of his most important characteristics, generosity. God is infinitely generous, and he's pleased when you're generous too. When God gives you something like a talent or an ability or money that is to be considered a trust. It means that God trusts you to use it for good and for God. When we use what God has given us to help others, we show our faith in God. The Bible says, now it is required that those who've been given a trust must prove faithful. That's First Corinthians, chapter four, verse two. The size of what you have to give isn't important. What God is watching is what you do with what He's given to you. He doesn't give you time or talent or money for your own benefit. He gives them to us for the benefit of others. Now, of course, it's easy to be generous when you have a lot to give, but faithful people are generous even when their resources are in short supply. Because being generous even when you don't think you can be generous is a step of faith giving even when I don't have. It causes me to trust God helps me to become more faithful, and that pleases God when he sees that you're going to trust Him even when you don't understand how it will all work out. Now, here's the thing to remember. When I do all that God tells me to do, he does what I can't do. If you don't use the gifts that God has given you to help others, then we're all missing out, and that includes you because you were shaped to serve others. Now we have a choice. We can live our lives for ourselves where we can live our lives for something bigger than ourselves. Generosity is one of the ways that God pulls us out of our selfishness and into His bigger plan for our lives. I guarantee you, because God guarantees it that if you step forward in faith, in faithful generosity, God will do amazing things in and through your life. I've watched Him do it in my life for over forty years. I'm rick be sure to join us next time as we look to God's word for our daily hope.
Speaker 1: This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's daily hope and your generous financial support