Speaker 1: MHM.
Speaker 2: Welcome Friends podcast Zaki ran about.
Speaker 3: From the producers of Superman, Alexander saul Kind presents Supergirl like Superman.
Speaker 1: He's my cousin whoa.
Speaker 3: Supergirl on a secret mission to save her world.
Speaker 2: You've had your fun Selena.
Speaker 3: The Game is Finished, starring Faye Dunaway, Peter O'Toole, and Helen Slater as Supergirl Rated PG now playing at a theater near you.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a movie film commentary track. My name is Zachison and I'm here with Brian Hall.
Speaker 1: Hey, how's it going, Zachie?
Speaker 2: Brian, I gotta say when when I when I committed us to doing this comitary track, I assumed that we're talking about Supergirl, by the way, the nineteen eighty four Supergirl. And you know there are many release lengths of this film, yes, and so you know, I assumed it would be the one I had seen when I was a little lad, which is about about a little under one hundred minutes, not realizing that in fact, the international releases is the coin of the realm these days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I look forward to talking about this because there are multiple versions of this out there, just different releases, different lengths.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Actually, as I was watching this in my mind began to wander a little bit. I went on IMDb only a little bit. Well, I don't want to lead with that, because for people who are tuning into this, who have a fondness for this, like a nostalgia for it, I can completely understand that. But I should say up top, this is the first time I ever saw this movie, which is.
Speaker 2: Now likely be the last time you ever see that.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, actually, I thought that last night today with you will probably be the last time I ever watched this movie. But I went on IMDb. So I checked my watch quite a bit, and I went on IMDb, and it lists the movie as an hour forty five Yeah, And I was like, liar that version. I did not see that version anywhere. So I'm really curious for you to talk about your memories of this movie and if you've noticed what's different in this version we're about to watch.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, well we'll talk about it. Yeah all right. Well, I figure, hey, we have two hours and four minutes to fill, so yes, yes, let's get going. Let's let's just knock this bad boy out. So you know, the timing certainly could not be more apropos.
Speaker 3: We are.
Speaker 2: We are in the lead up to the release of the twenty twenty six model Supergirl coming out, and I figure, well, when else would we ever talk through this movie? Right, Like, this is as good a time as any. It is the only time, if any, So let's do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I gotta say, I don't regret watching it. It's always been a curiosity for me. I remember this video like VHS box at the video store growing up, Right, So there's a super movie out there from the eighties that I've never seen. I'm curious about it, and now we get to discuss it.
Speaker 2: We do, indeed, and yes, I fully acknowledged that. Obviously people do have a lot of nostalgic affinity for this film. I have no doubt, you know. I think it's appropriate that we are talking. This is our commentary track that we were recording after having just done Masters of the Universe. Yeah, the nineteen eighty seven film, and certainly that is the nostalgic sweet spot for me. Written by the way, by the same guy, No, no kidding, David. He wrote Masters of the Universe and this interesting, okay, just just by weird by weird happens stance, the universe is telling us something and just a reminder if you want to hear this episode ad free, which is the best way to enjoy our commentary tracks, I would recommend checking out our Patreon page, right, Brian, Yeah, if you head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast for only five dollars a month, you'll find this commentary and every commentary we've ever done ad free without any ads or interruptions butting in, which is especially important if you're trying to watch along and you don't want to have to keep pausing the movie every time an AD pops up. So definitely the most enjoyable way to enjoy the show. So if you're ready to lock in with us and seek out the Omega head drawn alongside us, now's the time. Yeah, Yeah, we are watching the International cut, which is the only cut that's available widely, So it's two hours and four minutes. That's the one we're watching and the one we're talking through. And if need be, I will be comforting Brian as he sobs through having to watch this again within the span of like twelve.
Speaker 1: Hours, and and I look forward to getting into why yeah you need to hold my hand through this there there, Well, we'll get into it.
Speaker 2: There's a lot. Yeah, all right, here we go, Brian, you're ready, I'm ready. All right, we're gonna do the usual thing. We will hit play on three one two three play and one two three play. All right, So right up top. You will note that there is no like studio logo or anything like that.
Speaker 1: Yes, which I read about later. I did not notice that on first viewing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just get dropped right into this one million dollar title sequence.
Speaker 1: So I read that fact and I was like, no way, and so I started googling to confirm it, and yep, like you said, yeah, a million dollars. This opening sequence and the visual effects in this movie are atrocious. So you think, why would you not put that million dollars towards your movie?
Speaker 2: Well, and it's really weird because it's clearly trying to do something adjacent to you know that that that zoom thing that we see with the titles and Superman the first Superman, right, but it's it's just it's just wishy, washy and worse.
Speaker 1: You know what. I will actually say I thought they were impressive. I'll actually say that.
Speaker 2: I I I think it's I think I think the the typeface is interesting to me, but other than that, I'm like, this goes on forever.
Speaker 1: Oh well, certainly that I think. What I mean is for nineteen eighty four. They look nice, sure, but but it reminds me of the HBO logo, like the old eighties HBO thing. It doesn't right because it's this metallic lettering.
Speaker 2: No, that's all fine, but but like cut to the chase, guys, I mean.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, argument's there, no arguments there. But I mean this colorful sort of you know, pink and red and whatever, cloudy background and these I was actually impressed that this was from such an old movie that I had seen images from before.
Speaker 2: Like in this sense that this is pre CGI exactly. So these are like real things that you had to That's what I.
Speaker 1: Mean with the HBO thing, because I think now it comes up in my algorithm all the time, the making of that HBO opening where you're like, no, they actually built those letters out of metal and filmed them and it looks incredible, And so this reminded me of that, and I assumed it was the same sort of thing. I I guess, yeah, and even like I mean the way that the light is playing off of it. I mean again, for its time, that's pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: You know what, if this was the end titles, mmm, I would have been like, cool, Yes, it's very very long. Yes, so Jeno Swark, we should say he directed Jaws two with you and I both were like, well, that that's better than it might have been. I think that's our takeaway from that movie.
Speaker 1: You know what is fascinating, because yes, I think this movie looks okay, yeah, I think it's at the script level where this thing is a complete disaster.
Speaker 2: The script is catastrophic. But but to your point about the special effect, okay, actually you know okay, So yes, is like it was like Pristjugi's syndrome. I got like fifty thoughts altered the Yeah, okay, so we're in Argo City right now. This is a chunk of Krypton that survived the explosion. Now, it would have been nice if they even a little bit explained what this is in relation to what we've already seen in those other movies.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I just recently read the graphic novels Supergirl, Woman of Tomorrow and Tom King. I think, yes, wonderful, and they do explain what happened. How you know, Supergirl survived and this this floating chunk and you know how they've like put a little protective bubble over it, like makes complete sense and is a wonderful tragedy even and in this one, I was waiting to see, oh is this the same set up? And I don't know that I understood this at all. They're in some other dimension.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I mean there's no they they don't they don't contextualize it at all, like anything. It could have been a crawl, sure, anything, right, because because the problem is that these people are the same people that Marlon Brando was chilling with a couple of years ago. Yeah, but this is like some weird hippie commune with like a it's the city is like a whole we works building. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no sense of tragedy or exactly you know, displacement or anything. Yeah, hippie commune. That's perfect. Yeah, they're all barefoot walking around in these robes and.
Speaker 2: Right and and okay, so two things I want to say. First of all, uh, Helen Slater is very good in this movie.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree. I wasn't sure at first.
Speaker 2: Like I think she is. She gives more than the movie allows her to give.
Speaker 1: I actually thought that Titanic quote where I was like, I wish they had built you a better movie absdred percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh. And I will also say Peter o'tool has like two scenes in this and he's clearly like you can smell the alcohol.
Speaker 1: Yes, I didn't want to be like disrespectful, but I was like, it almost feels like they found him like tipsy somewhere and they're like, hey, we're shooting this movie. Do you want like and they put a little cheesy wand in his hand, and like, you know what would this guy like he'd be.
Speaker 2: As little like this, you know, like but I would even still I think he shows.
Speaker 1: Up, you know what, He's playing a character.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and any so I would say he gives a comparable level of investment as Brando did in the first film, because by all accounts, Brando could not be bothered to care about the first Superman. But my man showed up.
Speaker 1: He came to play without a doubt whether or not it works for you, that's a whole other thing. Yes, Like he was making me chuckle a little bit, but I was also his commitment. I completely admire.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, because he has like two scenes in this movie, right, So it's actually it's actually very brando asque. Now, but here's the thing. Okay, so that's Mia Farrow as who just is here like this is the only part of the movie she's in. And then we see Simon Ward in like a second as Kara's dad, Sorel, who is Jorel's brother. Now, my thought is that that guy, I'm sure he's a fine actor, but I'm like, you got Peter O'Toole right here?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, why wouldn't you have him as as.
Speaker 2: Kara's dad? Right?
Speaker 1: Like? Yeah, that's interesting, it's weird.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just an odd choice, right because because I think that I don't, you know, I think the fact that that's Joryl's brother is kind of a big deal. But you wouldn't know that from what we see here, right right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh no.
Speaker 2: Also, also based on this scene right here, Carl is kind of an idiot, right, Like.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, Well, this is this is where the problems for the entire movie begin and never recover, right, I mean, she's essentially responsible for dooming the last remaining survivors of Krypton.
Speaker 2: Well, and her and Drunkie McGee over there because.
Speaker 1: He was possibly took like one all important power source for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like, we have two power sources, yeah, Cara, Yes, And then he just kind of kicks it over to her and she brings this goddamn horror show Dragonfly to life. Yeah, as it dooms them all. Yes, and we're supposed to be like, and there's our hero well and or could be could be right if her first order of business is to fix things, you know what I mean, Like, what have I done?
Speaker 1: I'm youthful, I made a mistake, but I've got to save my people. But from the moment she gets in that little pod, she's like, wow, space is wonderful, isn't it not like banging on the glass looking back like that is no ticking clock, no ticking clock. And the second she gets to Earth, she's like, oh, look an old girl academy. That looks like fun. And then she's like playing lacrosse like minutes later, like as if her people aren't in peril right now, that never gets brought back up.
Speaker 2: This is so weird, so so to me, this is very See there's Joel's brother, not that you would know or care. They never meant they mentioned, oh, by the way, my cousin went to Earth. Anyway, proceed with your tree or whatever. Right this, Structurally, what you do is you make Zaltar the guy who is directly responsible for what has happened, and Kara is like, I need to save my Yeah, I need to save my people, I need to save my friend. Yes, and I'm gonna do this. That's that's right. So it's a it's a weird because because either way you have to end up with Zaltar in the Phantom zone. So why why either way you're gonna get there. But like right away we're like, well, she's she's she's a dummy. Yeah yeah, And so it's it's it's very weird. And and it's weird because and admittedly I'm not I'm not an expert on on the Supergirl comic continuity of this era, but I mean it wasn't really even reflective of what was what was there in the comics, you know.
Speaker 1: That's what I was wondering, if this is how close at all this is this story has anything to do with the comics, So not not much.
Speaker 2: Not much like my understanding is that it's similar in that you have this chunk of Krypton that was flung into space when when the planet exploded. And so so Kara grows up there and and he her again. Her her father is is Zrel. And then and then the the the land that they're on itself transmutes into kryptonite. M hm, right, so right, so the people begin to die, and so they send Kara to Earth to save her life. And that's that's the com And then and then you know, Superman finds her on Earth. They in recent like in the last twenty years or so, they changed they changed it to say that Kara is actually older than kal el Okay, but because of the time dilation, he ended up arriving on Earth before her and growing to adulthood before she did. So she is currently physically younger, but she's actually older.
Speaker 1: Is that to give her some sort of mental maturity or why even go through those extra steps?
Speaker 2: I think I think partly it's it's just to just to add some some something different to her, the idea that her experience with Krypton would be very different from from Superman's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh sure, sure, sure, sure, sure sure that makes sense. By the way, I think these effects remind me very like Douglas Trumbull two thousand, which I kind of dig.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we saw something similar in both the first and second Superman films. Yeah, where it's like putting oil in water or whatever and.
Speaker 1: Totally but it kind of kind of cool, kind of works. But see she's she's all like, wow, it's so gorgeous. Yeah, like there's no which I can I can understand to a point, but we never saw her freaking out. That's right about what she's left behind.
Speaker 2: Okay, so here we go. So now I have to say it, so Fade done Away as Selena. Now I think the character is garbage. Yeah, uh okay, it makes not even a lick of sense, And I'll get into why. However, I have to give credit. I think Faith done Away she's doing something interesting.
Speaker 1: Oh she's no, absolutely like she's playing this character the way that the movie wants this character to be. But yes, you know, you can get into what's wrong with the character, and then we can also get into this plot, which is basically just her and Supergirl fighting over a boy they don't even know for two hours while her planet apparently is power down and everyone's dying.
Speaker 2: At no point do we cut back to Argo and see them gasping for air or any right, Like.
Speaker 1: I literally I wrote down in my notes. I thought it would be funny when it's like he's cute, It's like, no, I saw him first. And then we cut back to the planet and like we're dying. The children's lungs are even smaller, they're dying faster, you know, Like, just how horrifying what's happening that she has just completely forgotten about? The movie has forgotten about. I couldn't believe two thirds in, I was like, this is the plot. This is the plot. They're just fighting over a boy that they don't even know. Yeah, they're just a cute guy they saw. I can't believe this is the plot.
Speaker 2: It doesn't it feel it's like a middle aged man writing what he thinks teenage girls want to see.
Speaker 1: That occurred to me too, because I thought this is especially in the eighties, you know, I'll speak for myself, like I really did feel like there were boy things and there were girl things. Absolutely, that was definitely what theulture was like then. You didn't boys didn't play with girl toys or watch girl shows and vice versa. Yeah, and so I can imagine as a boy this movie coming out and me thinking, oh, this, I guess this is for girls, And if I were to watch it, I'd be proven kind of well, no, I don't want to like put women down saying that this is for them, because it isn't. But it is about girls and boys and whatever, and just it would not have appealed to me. And then I was like, why would they reduce, like almost insult this character for having her be so you know, wrapped up in this silly nonsense. But then and then it occurred to me if my train of thought, wait, a man wrote this, like probably exactly like you said, A middle aged man is like, well, it's about girls and they're fighting over a boy, super.
Speaker 2: Like boys and field hockey, don't.
Speaker 1: They exactly exactly? So it begins to make a little bit more sense.
Speaker 2: So we get the little thing like, by the way, Superman is off in space, yes, over the radio, like a news report on a special piece seeking mission to a galaxy scientists maybe yes to maybe several hundred trillion light years away, which that's a convenient, but be also like what you know, what have the other films shown us that would lead us to believe that's congruous, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he was apparently in earlier drafts, right he was, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And Chris Reeve noped out. So right there, what we just saw of Kara flying out of the water, that was a cardboard standy that they just pulled on a wire, which I thought.
Speaker 1: Was I read that and I think that is fascinating and it looks great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. So, so before we move past the thing with Selena, the villain character played by Faye Dunaway, this is the type of thing that kind of drives me nuts in terms of story construction. She's sitting there in her picnic. We know she's bad because her picnic blanket is like a stuffed tiger, right, yes, yes, And she's like, oh, if only I could rule the world up as this omega hedron just drops in her soup, right, and I'm like, wow, that's convenient, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Right? Somehow this all powerful device lands within spitting distance of the worst person on Earth? Sure, right, And I was thinking, I was like, it would have taken no effort at all to say the omega hedron pops into our plane and she senses it because she's a witch, and now she and Supergirl are both drawn to it. Yes, and you eliminate the coincidence entirely. Sure, sure, right, this is the type of man. This drives me nuts, you know.
Speaker 1: By the way, I really like this sequence.
Speaker 2: Oh it's great we're talking about the flying ballet. Yeah, because again Brian girls love ballet.
Speaker 1: But it's someone on a new planet and they're discovering they have different abilities, and it's it's kind of drawn out, but in a way that I actually think works. Like I agree, you know, her realizing she can squish a rock and she can fly. And I do love that this is all shot through, like we're like peeping Tom's almost hiding in a bush like looking through branches, which is kind of weird if you think of it that way, But obviously it's to obscure the wires.
Speaker 2: That's right. So Helen Slater, she's nineteen, she makes this movie. She brings like maturity to the like I I I feel like she's she's older, you know. Yeah, yeah, very to me, very much. Christopher Reeve esque where you have this unknown who really does make a strong mark, right, And I think the fact that she had a pretty solid career after this film speaks to that, right, because she was you know, I don't know if you've seen the Legend of Billy Jean. I think that's what she's most known for. But I mean she's a love interest in Secret of My Success.
Speaker 1: And oh wow, I have not seen that movie in a long time. But yeah, okay, interesting and I've never seen a Legend of Billy Jean. And that just came up in a group hangout recently and they.
Speaker 2: Were wow, there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they were talking. They really liked that movie.
Speaker 2: So the universe is telling me something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's plopping into my soup right now that I should catch up on Ellen Slater's filmography.
Speaker 2: Now I have to say someone else who showed up for this movie was Jerry Goldsmith. Yeah, because man, this score is like twenty percent more than this movie is giving at any given time. Sure, yeah, like, hey, girls love ponies, right, Brian. But you know what again, I.
Speaker 1: Will say real fast. I mean, obviously this looks a little janky to our eyes in twenty twenty six, but I love the spirit of this just her this so to be fair, like any criticism of this movie isn't anything to do with its lack of budget or you know, not so great visual effects. Like I love this. I love her learning she can fly and then you know, flying over these racing horses and the countryside, picking up a flower and letting it bloom. I think this is really lovely.
Speaker 2: I think all of that stuff works and it and it shapes the character in a way that we didn't get to see the Chris Reeve Superman do because if you remember in the first film, you know, he discovers the Fortress of Solitude and then he kind of goes off and learns what joerel and then we see him, you know, montage one, montage later he is Superman, right, Yeah, Or.
Speaker 1: I guess in a way it reminds me of the scene when Clark is running alongside the train. Yeah, there was that good that giddy sense of discovery.
Speaker 2: That's good call. Yeah, And I think that that that aspect of the characters what makes her different from Superman, Right, She's she's an immigrant in a way that that Superman is not. Right sure, and that's certainly something Tom King, you know, really plugged into in that run that you're talking about, that recent run where you're wrestling with this this cultural clash. I think this film gives it lip service, but I think fundamentally, I love Brenda Vacar has a lot of fun in this, and I'm just like, she's kind of playing like the Carrie Fisher character. Dude.
Speaker 1: I thought the exact same thing. I was thinking. If Kerrie Fisher in nineteen eighty four could see this, it'd be like, you are glimpsing into the future. This is who you become actually, And I also wrote down the pitch what if the villains were Patty and Selma Vibes. That's really later, you know, I shoot out know the character's name, but Bianca, Yeah, she's always got a cigarette and like, I don't know, girl, like, eh, it's a lot of that. She's wonderful though. By the way, she has much needed color.
Speaker 2: I think, well, it's great because she's basically the ned baby, you know, totally yeah, less stupid.
Speaker 1: But I was gonna say, yeah, yeah, yeah, more a little more Carrie Fisher, Yeah, little sardonic.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. Yeah, she's like a she's like a sassy nineteen fifties secretary. You know, Well, you don't see that every day, do you as she like, you know, tips her cigarette ash off in.
Speaker 1: It, totally like unaffected by everything.
Speaker 2: It's so funny.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, good please, Well real quick, we.
Speaker 2: Were talking about the special effects and some interesting stuff here with like front projection stuff, and I say this often, I appreciate the swing sometimes more than the execution because I don't think some of this projection work is as effective as what we saw in the earlier Chris Reeve films.
Speaker 1: I agree, and I think a lot of that can have to do with taking away the idea of you know, like the grain structure of the background just not matching you know, what we're seeing with her. Forget forgetting all that. I think you have to take into account the camera movement of the background. Yeah, and the camera movement of your hero.
Speaker 2: That's great, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, because they're not in sync with one another, so it creates a jarring effects.
Speaker 2: That's exactly it. So they were clearly they were trying a new process. It wasn't the same flying effect technology that they used for the earlier films, and I don't think it worked as well as it might have. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotta say I didn't love this scene.
Speaker 2: I was just I was what I had written down was this scene. What the hell?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, there's part of me that understands this. You know, you got these two gross truck driver guys coming up and basically sexually harassing her, and I get it, and I can even understand a version of this scene in a Supergirl movie. But it's just kind of not what I want. It's very icky, it's very ikey, and they're very they're not really being cartoonish as cartoonish as some of the other kids. They're really grotesque and upsetting, and like it's it's like the real world seeping into a fantasy film in a way that's really upsetting.
Speaker 2: So the guy in the denim jacket, that's Matt Frewer, Yes, Max Headroom, Max Headroom himself, and.
Speaker 1: The dad from the neighbor, Dad from Honeys Shrunk.
Speaker 2: The Kids, Honey Sunk Kids. That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we'll see more of him, by the way. He's good, he's yeah character.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well he was in gosh, what's the last thing I saw him? And he was in Zack Snyder's Watchman. Yeah, he's molloy. Okay, he's been in a few things here and there. I met him at a con a couple of years ago, and it was it was cool just to talk to him. He's just a cool guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So so this right here, obviously there they're being as you said, it's not cartoonish. Yeah, it's it's gross and and I think Helen Slater plays the vulnerability, like the initial what the hell coupled with her resistance very well. But this right here where she's like, why are you doing this? And he's like, it's just the way we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah the hell, I know it's so dark now that bit right there where she kicks him.
Speaker 2: Legs, his ball should have just like exploded.
Speaker 1: Dude, I had I know, I saw this in something recently, but I did have the thought like it'd be kind of funny as she was discovering her laser vision if she just like blew one of their faces through the back of their hea heads. And then one of the friends is like, whoa, you know, now here's the thing about this, Okay, yeah right there his he right, yeah, yeah. If she's got a super kick, yeah, his balls would have come out like.
Speaker 2: Shut through the top of his head. But here's the thing. They're like, so you lack Superman. Huh. They live in a world with Superman. Superman is a fact of existence.
Speaker 1: Mmmm.
Speaker 2: And so the first instant when she lifts this dude up by his chin, it doesn't occur to them like, oh, maybe you're a super person and we should stop this. But no, dude pulls his knife out and then she does like her heat vision on it. Yeah, and he's still coming at her.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's the way they are, Zachi say, it's the way we are.
Speaker 2: So this scene here will not surprise you. I don't think to know that it was cut out of the American theatrical release.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, okay, that makes when we Yeah, it's like this weird. I don't even know how to describe it, like this weird, campy bad guy convention party.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's it's this is the prelude to a key party. That was my thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally totally. But then you have like a guy coming in on a toy train carrying on a tray, and oh that makes so much. I actually wrote down because I didn't know there were different versions. First I wrote down, this movie is desperately in need of an editor.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because.
Speaker 1: If I think you could even if I was never going to enjoy the plot, it could move better and I could think of it as not a terrible campy time. Yeah, but this movie is just way too long. And oh that makes so much sense that this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was the realization I had.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I The last time I saw this movie was sometime in the early part of the nineteen nineties. WGN in Chicago had some kind of a Superman marathon. Yeah, and that's that was the one and only time I've seen the movie the whole way through, And and my recollection was always like it was about an hour and a half ish, So I hit play on this. I'm like two hours in four minute? What the hell? You know? And then like you I did digging enough.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry this woman, I'm like, why are we what is happening? And why are we spending time on this? Yeah, where she's spinning around? Sorry?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah, it's it's a chance for Peter Cook to vamp and you know, he's kind of a fun comic actor. And and I'm assuming it was one of those things that they shot, uh, not expecting to make it into the final cut. What's what's weird is that Yeah, that's gross right there, It's it's so weird. Yeah, so Selena is using her witch powers to like make her spin around after she ate like a scorpion. I think that oftentimes you'll have a movie that's short and you'll be like, you know, this is just a wet part of a thing. But it's because they cut all this stuff out right, right, And so that's like the legend that springs up, you know. So you know, whether we're talking about Joel Schumacher's Batman Forever or even you know Superman four, which famously they cut like forty minutes out of that. Well, what we're seeing now is I suppose close to a director's cut, and it's like, no, this movie desperately needed to not have all of this stuff in it. Yeah yeah, right, But then you see the theatrical cut also is a mess, and so you're like, oh, well this is just a mess no matter what. Yeah. Interesting, right, And and the thing is that you know we were talking about the budget. I mean they had a million dollars to spend on that opening title season. It's because they had thirty five million dollars.
Speaker 1: That is, there's no excuse, there's no excuse thirty five million dollars.
Speaker 2: That's that is a substantial chunk of change in nineteen eighty four. And so on the one hand, you're like, well, they weren't. They weren't low balling this thing. They weren't like, oh, it's a girl movie, let's spend less. No.
Speaker 1: No, they they put the money into it. By the way, I just out of curiosity. Because Back to the Future came out a year later. That budget was fourteen million.
Speaker 2: There you go. Anyway, No, And I think that's that's relevant because clearly they were trying to spend Superman esque money. Sure, and so good, right, Like that's you know, but yet you have you have a movie that manages to neatly evade all of the stuff that people tended to enjoy about those Superman movies. So here to your point, she is on the clock, Carra, but she's like, let me just blame in with these school girls and just like see how how things are here.
Speaker 1: I just wish, you know, that moment when she's looking at the lake earlier, that sort of golden shot she puts her hands on her hips. I almost wish they had even eighty yards something like I will get back to you, I promise or something, you know. So we know that that is her goal and first act. So but there's like a lack a daisical feel to all, even just this shot of her slowly going upstairs, like just it almost feels like, Okay, I got a blend in because I've got to exist here somehow before I figure out how I can go back. There's no urgency, you know, I I think.
Speaker 2: So as originally written, a Superman meets her when she arrives on Earth. By the way, is we talked right past this. But when she arrives on Earth, she emerges from that cocoon wearing a Superman costume.
Speaker 1: Actually, I yeah, I have and down and I was like whatever, I just yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's you know, my daughter who's nine, she's like, wait, how does she have a costume?
Speaker 1: Right? So, well it happens she's in the pod wearing her robes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then we cut back to her and she's got a Superman cost Immediately, yes, all of a sudden, she and I don't even think she reacts to it. Right. So now now this right here, this like usual suspects thing where she like pulls the name. Yes, I I My only thought is, first of all, she should have been like, my name is Robert Lee, you know, because I'm like Linda, Like where did she get Linda from?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: That's true, Yeah, But the.
Speaker 2: Other thing she's she's either like completely unfamiliar with our ways and customs or she knows enough to like type up a recommendation letter and slip it into his his file under the proper like alphabetically organized.
Speaker 1: That's what I loved is when he reads it out loud, thinking about her typing that out like about herself.
Speaker 2: Right, So so as written, uh, Superman is there, and I don't I've seen like the page of when Superman meets her, so I don't know how he would have found out she was coming or whatever. But but I thought, you know, you have Superman basically saying you know, you have to be careful how you use your powers, and he says something to the effect of like don't fall in love because you know it's not going to be fair to you or the other person, and and the the writing it was very like boilerplate. But I've I was like, well, Chris Reeve could have made this into something interesting. Chris Reeve was coming off of Superman three, and I think he wanted nothing more to do with Superman at that point. That's that's so sad. It really is, because because I think I think he would have elevated this movie. But I also think if he shows up at the beginning when she's arrives and then he's like got to go and then comes back at the end, I think people might have been like, well, we're Superman, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh totally. Wait. By the way, did you see that A and W soda machine that Yeah, one of the truck drivers was wearing an A and W T shirt.
Speaker 2: There there you go. There, there, there's the kind of product placement ANW I'm sure I was hoping for.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure. Yeah, let's put it on the gross guy who feels up Kara. Yes, she's super gross.
Speaker 2: And so so my point is, I think by not having Superman be like, listen while you're here, you got to blend in or something like, just give her that little nudge her and the audience the nudge in that direction to make this make sense. Yeah, but otherwise it's like, Wow, she's Clark Kent's cousin, and look, it's Lois Lane's sister who's dating Jimmy Olsen. I'm like, what are there like eight people in this universe? I know, I know, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's got she's doing the alternate ego thing. She looks up wide eyed and sweet and yeah she does do that really well, she does. I did write down though she does a unlike some of the other actors, she is doing kind of an old school acting style interest a little bit, even as Supergirl, where it's like a well that be swell real swell, you know, that kind of older school, sort of fifties kind of thing. I thought that was interesting. I don't know if that dress that was to convey innocence or something. Maybe that's the director thought.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but.
Speaker 1: She makes it endearing. I'll say yes later. So, wait, is this a college or a high school, like a boarding school.
Speaker 2: Kind of stuff. It's a high school, okay, which that okay, So there's a whole separate conversation we're about to have about the ground keeper. Yeah, exactly, like which the movie doesn't want to address at all. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did look it up out of curiosity. He was twenty seven Heartbox. Yeah, okay, which, by the way, I didn't even realize it was him until he I think when he opened his mouth and of course you see that and he's like Selena Booby yea, but yeah, because I mean he does look kind of like generic eighties hunk guy. Yeah, and then when he opens his mouth and he's got the smile, I was.
Speaker 2: Like, wait a minute, the smile. Yeah, I know, that shit eating grin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he plays such a wormy guy die Hard. Yeah, and here he's like the stud.
Speaker 2: It is just four years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is studeley in this though. Got to give him that.
Speaker 2: It's what I read is that Elias Hall kind of wanted Peter Gallagher for that part. Interesting and and I can certainly see that. I think I don't think any any actor could have made that role really work. Real quick, I want to mention here. So so this poster is obviously all we we get of Chris Reeve explicitly in this film. I love how Jerry Goldsmith brings in the John Williams Superman music. And you know, famously, initially Richard Donner wanted Jerry Goldsmith to do the music for the for the first film. Oh interesting, right, because he had worked with him on the Omen and what happened is that just the movie, just the schedule kept getting pushed and pushed. So Goldsmith was available, then he wasn't available, so they had to settle for John Williams.
Speaker 1: Post Star Wars. Yeah you didn't they know?
Speaker 2: And Jaws. Yeah, no, I mean it was it was one of those things where it was like, well, we lost this guy, but we got this guy too, so it worked out well either way. Sure. Sure, but Goldsmith's Supergirl theme, I think you sort of get maybe a window into what his Superman music might have been. Like, you know, I think, as I said earlier, he gives more than the movie deserves, just in terms of the energy of his of his score. Yeah, and you know, we're talking about coincidence real quick, but I know, to mention Peter Cook, Nigel also so happens to be the math teacher at this school, so he is a Warlock slash math teacher.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. Yeah, you think you'd be working in science or something and he'd be yeah, off crazy chemical reactions or that's really funny.
Speaker 2: Now, this, by the way, part of the reason we have Beyonca like shuttling Selena around is that, uh, fade done Away would just kind of show up whenever, and so out of frustration, they basically just shot them separately, so that like there were times when she's just fade done Away hasn't shown up. Okay, well let's just get get Beyonca's coverage.
Speaker 1: Well that's good directing. I'll say that. By the way, this bothered me last night, but I didn't rewind it. So when Backner is sawing it that tree, he's sawing between like a y intersection in the tree, but then he pulls a branch off that's behind the tree, I was like, what why is he sawing that tree in half? And then anyway, never mind, it doesn't matter, It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing. So Selena, she sees Ethan Hart Backner, you know, the grounds keeper, and she's like, I have to create a spell to make him fall in love with me. And I'm like, well, I mean your fate done away, You're you're like a sexy older lady, right like right, like like just seduce him. Try that first, and maybe she's you know, offended. Before we jump to Eye of Newt and all that shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, right, which, by the way, I always find that stuff kind of annoying in superhero movies, where it's just like, yeah, she's like a witch, like a witch that's so like generic, you know what I mean, and like earth Bound sort of like yeah, I know what a witch is that they're in fairy tales and things like. You couldn't come up with something more specific to this that feels otherworldly and sci fi and fun, Like it just feels so right off the bat when I saw she was a witch, I was like, oh really, Like well, it.
Speaker 2: Really does to me. Feel like the people make in the movie were like, oh, what's something girly?
Speaker 1: Sure? Oh interesting, okay, you know interesting? Yeah, you're probably right, yeah, because.
Speaker 2: The opportunity, honestly, is to make this Omegahedron something that you know, the evil Kryptonians are after, or evil space aliens or something, and so once it's free and clear from Argo, it's being tracked to Earth by somebody else mm hmm. Or again, if you want to do this this this character, then have it be something that they become aware of and everybody's going after it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, excuse me, like where she Yeah, yeah, make her like an ordinary person who has you know, bad instincts exactly and suddenly comes into this other worldly power that feels less silly to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's that's the problem. Is there's this this happenstance of oh it happened to land, you know, just a few feet from from the most evil person on Earth, and all these people just happen to all be you know, in this this suburb of Chicago, this.
Speaker 1: Warlock math teacher.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah. But of these two bullies here there, I call them Bulk and Skull from Power Rangers.
Speaker 1: And all those two. Yes, yes, they're.
Speaker 2: Just going around being horrible for like no reason. Yeah. At one point, like later, when they're they're messing with the the shower, they're like I want to burn the flesh off their bones or some freaking psych I know. I was like, that's strange, and it's a weird because we we didn't get something earlier. Like Lucy Lane is defending somebody that they're picking on her like some reason that they would have it out for her.
Speaker 1: On Yep, yep. It's just yeah, no motivations. They just know there needs to be a bully so she can have this moment.
Speaker 2: Like you have the scene where they're picking on Kara for some reason and Lucy is like, hey, back off, that's your setup. And then you get to the you know whatever, like oh, I get her with the with the ball, the the hockey ball, which like if it shattered, like if it turned to dust on Carra's back, like how did you hit that?
Speaker 1: I know, I know, but you know what's bothering me about that? I wrote it down. I was like, why are you playing lacrosse? Your world is dying because everybody.
Speaker 2: Needs a break occasionally, okay.
Speaker 1: But I was like, you could fix that, where she's like, okay, I've got to like get all right, I've blended in. I've got a cover story. I've got to get down. I need to leave this campus and go try to find that power ball thing, right, And someone's like no, no, no, come on, like we're late. She's like for what the game and no, no, no, you don't have time. And then you push her into the game so you get some sense of urgency and then you can still have the fun of her playing the game and the ball blowing up on her back and all.
Speaker 2: You know, okay, so now do that with her absent mandedly putting on a bra over her clothes.
Speaker 1: George Lucas was right, there are no bras in space. I could just picture him at a screening room watching this, like see it to hold you.
Speaker 2: It's really funny. So Jenno Swark, as we said, who directed this film. He he had previously had had success with Jaws two, and he before this, he did Somewhere in Time, which starred h Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. Okay, so I think Christopher Reeve recommended him to the Saul Kinds. Okay, uh, stuffing her p yeah, which again, you know, I'm glad Kara doesn't have anything pressing in her life to worry about. See, this whole human identity sequence only works if she has Superman being like you need to blend in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because otherwise, yeah, why would she do that at all? She would just if she's as naive as she comes across initially, she would just go straight to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and and this is the thing, right, Like because the movie starts with her. That's the other thing, right, Like she knows that Superman is on Earth because she talks to his altar. She's like, oh, yeah, the Earth where my cousin is right, and so I'm like, well, what how much knowledge does she have, like because she knows he's Clark Kent and all that. So I'm like, is he sending is he like mister Belvidere, like writing letters to Argo? You know what I mean? The Ewans family. You know that's Clark pan over woman in a bikini. You know, it's like every episode of Mister Belvidere. I forgot of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I on the other hand, I'm doing other things. You know, he like lights a cigar and then that's my broad recollection of every Mister Belvidere episode.
Speaker 1: By the way, I thought about that baseball stadium, I was like, well, that's not rigly because they didn't have lights till eighty eight. We look at that could be kamisky. But oh and then, by the way, I was curious what was playing on that drive in screen, and it's Psycho two. Psycho Too, just a relatively recent film, and I wonder if that was just something, you know, the b Roll helicopter picked up, like just to drive through playing Psycho Too because it was nineteen eighty three or whatever. It is cool to see the Chicago Skyline circa nineteen eighty two three. Very cool. Yeah, and so I remember this VHX VHS box from when I was a kid, and I remember her flying past the Statue of Liberty. So when I saw her flying over Chicago in this movie, I thought, huh. So, I don't know if they just thought, you know, it's more maybe creates more of a link to Superman to see her in Metropolis slash New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, I know the poster has her in front of the New York Skyline. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, interesting.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so just just to put a pin on my thought. Yeah, so I'm just like, is Clark just sending you know, or like, what was that? I remember on Fragle Rock uncle travelin Matt he would like send letters back. You know what. I never have seen Frago Rock. Well, there you go, Fragle Rock. You know you have the main character Gobo and his uncle traveling Matt would be out in the world and he would send letters back about all the things he had seen. So I'm like, is he doing that? Is he sending letters to Argo City? Right? Because because this is I'm like, if Clark knows that there are other Kryptonians out there, He's not just gonna be like, all right, well y'all keep me posted, let me know write.
Speaker 1: Like that's true. It's his people, Yeah, so his home.
Speaker 2: And maybe I'm overthinking, but I can't help it. I'm like, how much knowledge do the argo people have about Superman?
Speaker 1: I don't think that's overthinking. I would just call that thinking frankly. But yeah, then when he gets in this whole thing put a spider in a chestnuts shell, I was like, oh, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: See, like, why not just have the omegahedron? Do that.
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 2: Exactly? Like you're creating this extra.
Speaker 1: Step one hundred percent. And maybe she has these great and ambitions and thinks of herself higher than she actually is, her status or something, and now that corrupt person mentally has the power she did not have before to actually carry those things out exactly. That's way more interesting.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about heart Backner, how like, like again, four years later, he's Ellis yeah and die Hard right and and heart Backner. I think he's had a decent career. I think, you know, a good character actor thing, but like he had the fortune slash misfortune of playing such an indelible character in this movie that just lives on and on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that like he is trapped as Harry Ellis. Yeah right, yeah, sure.
Speaker 2: Because you look at him in this and he's like a traditionally handsome you know, you could see him as like a nineteen eighties or nineties leading man and like a television show or something.
Speaker 1: Totally Yeah, you know, it's funny. I actually got to meet him because he had a small part in the Christopher Guest movie For Your consideration. Oh nice, And so I don't remember why I saw him shoot, but then I had to go to he was directing something. Then I had to go to the editing offices where he was, you know, with his editor, and he could not have been nicer. And he had no beard, and I was like, whoa. It was just weird for me because I didn't know him from a lot of other things. It was so seeing him here, Yeah, I was like, you know, you take the beard away, and I don't know, obviously it's the character he's playing too and diehardy, I mean over here.
Speaker 2: He's doing like a Tony danzas slash Nick from Family Ties thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a himbo sort of.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the first scene where I realized who he was, because I mean, it's a mistake.
Speaker 2: Once he smiles, you're like, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but he's just yeah, I wasn't used to him looking any other way. When I saw him without the beard and everything, Like you said, he got really locked into that character, I guess, unfortunately or.
Speaker 2: Fortunately either way. Apropos of nothing. But speaking of Nick from Family Ties, Yeah, I forget that guy's name. I forget his name, but anyway, he played the Superman villain Metallo on Lewis and Clark. Oh, good friend, because I like my friend Michael Bailey, I can find a way to connect most things back to Superman in some way shape.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So wait, did she summon him here?
Speaker 2: Yes? Now, because Bianca says I saw his number on his truck.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, yeah, yeah, yeah, and she came out on that little toy choo choo train.
Speaker 2: See this is the part I don't understand. Right, you have Fade done Away, and I think most men at this time, if Fade Dunaway starts seducing them, they would probably be at least amenable, right right, right, right right. So I'm kind of like, what you do is you bake in something like you know, she only looks pretty, you know, when she's in her lair. If she leaves, she looks like a horrible witch or something. You know, some limitation that says, well, I can only use magic to seduce.
Speaker 1: This man or like not exactly this, but Uma Thurman and Batman for her, Batman and Robin where she's just kind of frumpy and like, doesn't she has these ambitions, but she doesn't take care of herself outwards. Yes, the projectile out of confidence. Then once she comes into this new ability, whatever confidence she had inside now shows on inside you there.
Speaker 2: You know, as we're talking about that, I'm like, man, what a trope, right, Like we have seen so many versions of that, sure, right, like like Kristen wigg and Wonder Woman too. Oh that's right, yeah right, and even I mean like that's Jamie Fox and Spider Man.
Speaker 1: That's Jim Carrey, you know, yeah, and the previous Batman movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's right.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's still.
Speaker 2: Scott Valentine. By the way, that's the actor's name, Nick from from Family Ties.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh strangely that rings a bell. Yeah, yeah, he's.
Speaker 2: Great, is Nick?
Speaker 1: By the way, he was.
Speaker 2: He was doing like a like a Tony Danza slash Sylvester still own.
Speaker 1: Thing, right, Yeah, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm an artist or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like Heart of Gold, you couldn't Heart of Gold exactly help but love him. But he was like a great foil for Alex.
Speaker 2: That's the funny thing is when you watch that show, when you watch it now, you're like, well, Alex is like being really cruel to this guy who he's like an artist, Like he's not even like, uh, you know, some some blue collar guy that like, uh, Alex would necessarily look down his nose on you know. It's like he's just he seems like a sensitive soul who wants to create art. Right. But the show kind of makes you like be like, I don't know by I like Alex and his and his uh you know, three piece suits or whatever. Look at that she gives Nigel Acney so strange.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: His reaction to this is very funny because it feels like something she's done before. M you know what I mean, He's like, oh that bitch right the way he says it, it's like again with this, you know, which, by the way I read that, apparently they wanted Dudley more for that role and more suggested Cook because they used to be like a comedic duo. Yeah, and Peter Cook was in uh, What's the God damn it, What's the Devil movie?
Speaker 1: Max Devlin?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I remember they remade it with Brandon Fraser The Dazzle. Yeah yeah, yeah, So in the remake it's Elizabeth Hurley, but in the original it was Peter Cook as the Devil.
Speaker 1: Oh quite the glow up. Yeah, it's lucky our generation. I never saw that. I wonder if I'm sure it's not great, but I wonder if it'd be like a good, dopey late nineties movie.
Speaker 2: Or something, the Brandon Fraser one. Yeah, Harold Reimis directed that.
Speaker 1: Really, I remembered existing, and that's I just.
Speaker 2: Never saw it. I'm with you. I saw the trailers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also, as long as we're talking about casting, I read that they wanted Dolly Parton really badly for Selene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for Selena, which.
Speaker 1: I kind of see. I mean, like her fun she would bring a fun camp to.
Speaker 2: It for sure. Yeah. I think I think Dolly was like, I'm not doing anything Witchcraft related. Yeah, yeah, which kind of given her brand, that makes sense. Totally. And again like I I think, I think, I think Faye Dunaway was a solid choice in terms of what they were trying to do.
Speaker 1: Mm mmm, yeah, she's not doing anything wrong. I think everything we've said, like if we could just tweak this character a little bit, this it it comes down to the script.
Speaker 2: The character as conceived is is a problem. But you know, in terms of if you're trying to emulate the Superman template, then Faye Dunaway is at least as value added as you know Gene Hackman, right right, you know.
Speaker 1: Who were both in Bonnie and Clyde.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, This poor guy Backner just like he's like a pawn in this game. He doesn't understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I get it. I've been there. Man.
Speaker 1: I actually felt really bad for him in this scene where everyone's just driving around him.
Speaker 2: Like hey, idiot, idiot. Nobody's like, hey, man, are you okay? Like like him to the curb, you know.
Speaker 1: I was like, doesn't that just sum up humanity? And later too, when cars with her friends and they're like, oh, he's probably on drugs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so funny because because they see him wandering around almost getting hit by cars and then they and then the next time we see them, they're just in here again in the Popeye is eating.
Speaker 1: I think we actually see them turn around and go back in the restaurant and he's like, they're the good guys.
Speaker 2: The good guys.
Speaker 1: So so, how old was Mark McClure in this twenty seven?
Speaker 2: Twenty seven? And he's just about to shoot back to the Future and that's crazy. He's in between Superman three and Back to the Future one, And he said himself like he I mean, basically, they're like, hey, you want to do this? He's like, okay, you know sure, And even he was like, I don't know what I'm doing here?
Speaker 1: Oh really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because like at one point he even said to his work he's like, hey, should shouldn't I like mention Superman? And they're like, no, no, this is like super Girl's movie. This is some thing. And he's like, well, why am I here that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Right? Right?
Speaker 2: So he's dating this that's me. That's what I'm not understanding. I'm like, how old is Jimmy Olsen supposed to be? Because it feels like Lucy is like sixteen by.
Speaker 1: The way, she's in her thirties.
Speaker 2: The actor, well, she she shows it well.
Speaker 1: But no, she looks great. I just I you know, me in my session with googling everyone's ages, So I just I love how it's all over the place. It is because she's yeah, she's I want to say, like early thirties, and then Kara is eighteen or something when she's shooting this, and yeah, it's yeah. But there he looks like he looks like he's twenty seven to me, like absolutely, And I'm sure he's supposed to be twenty one or something sight yeah, I I.
Speaker 2: Mean is he is he supposed to be a teenager? Here at this point, I don't even wait.
Speaker 1: By the way, I have to call this out. Sorry. I noticed there was so much tailand All product placement in this. There's a big billboard for tailand All and earlier we see the headmaster or whatever, the principal of the school, like, you know, holding a Tailan All bottle directly at camera, you know. And I was like, and then I thought, wasn't like the tailand All murders in the eighties, Like when was that? And I looked it up and it was two years before this, when in the Chicago Land area there was someone who was putting cyanide, cracking open tail and all bottles and putting cyanide inside, and people were dying taking tail and al. So I was like, oh, that makes so much sense. Thailand All needed some brand rehabilitation, so apparently. But yeah, I'm like, maybe that's why they're so prominently featured in this movie, Like, please put Thailand All everywhere. Everyone takes Tilan All in the Superman universe.
Speaker 2: Fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which, by the way, if people don't know that story, that's what led to the protective packaging we have now on Thailan All with like the little cotton and the foil seal on top. It's because of the poisoning that happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Really, I remember the Russell Crowe character and the Insider talks about that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I love the POV from the tractor as it's going after Ethan. It's it's just for some reason, it's it's very film student e to me, you know what I mean. It's one of those shots that you get and you're so excited about that's.
Speaker 1: A really great yeah, yeah example now, and it looks a little silly, you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: See, but again, it's like the way in which this is all happening is very funny to me because he should run a lot faster. I mean, I know he's like under a spell. Yeah, but also like people are just standing around. Nobody's doing anything. I know, they're just like, hey, there's a tractor that's just driving itself.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Yeah, I my brain. So I did have a thought where I was like, Okay, so the whole reason this town is getting destroyed is because this woman wants this guy, yeah that she doesn't know because he's cute, That's right. And then I also wrote down this set piece should be ten minutes instead it's thirty. And then I looked it up and it took twenty two days to shoot just the sequence, just the sequence.
Speaker 2: Good lord.
Speaker 1: I was like, wow, I don't know, although I would say this is the big set piece of the movie.
Speaker 2: Really I was just thinking. I was like, I was like, this is like the big the big action highlight quote unquote.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And this whole city was built on a backlot, which I did think about, Oh wow, they're destroying some buildings. Was that a building that they the city had planned to tear down? But this is all backlot looks pretty good.
Speaker 2: It's impressive.
Speaker 1: Its looks like a real you know, small town city strip and props for that. Yeah, here we But now she's finally doing something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I look at this and I'm like, well, it's cool to give Lucy Lane kind of the same spunk as her sister.
Speaker 1: I think that's good, totally oh good call. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh. Although I was like, I like Jimmy, I was like, this should have been Jimmy's moment to be somewhat heroic, sure, or at least try to be heroic, right, because all he all you see him doing is taking pictures and and I don't know. I was like, all I'm saying is if I was Mark McClure, maybe I would have pushed the harder, be like, hey, like, give me something to do some not just standing around doing this, you know.
Speaker 1: But to your point, I do like that it's Lucy who steps up and does something.
Speaker 2: Although the way she gets knocked out there is like really friggin stupid. Yeah, I'm like, wait, what happened? That's where you get your your your your you know, second unit and see a piece of debris fall on her head or something, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, Although a lot I gotta give it like, the choreography of all this is pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: I agree, And.
Speaker 1: You got the giant tire rolling down the street.
Speaker 2: Although you know what's interesting is that they they offered the directing gig to Richard Lester, who did Superman two and three. He turned it down. Uh, they offered it to Robert Why is he of You know, he did Star Trek the motion picture before that, he did like Sound of Music and The Day of the Earth. Still, I don't know why they thought he would want to do this. But you know, for all of what I've said before about about Lester and sort of his the comedic way he tended to interpret the Superman universe, I couldn't help but watch this and be literally I was like, I think Richard Lester would have done a better job with this.
Speaker 1: I read that also and thought, oh, he would have been perfect, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The stuff that he brings to two that people don't like is what would have made this movie sing a little better. I agree, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, because like like that whole sequence at the end where the villains are like blowing their super breadth at Metropolis and everything's just gone haywire. This needed a little bit of.
Speaker 1: That yeah, you know, yeah, I love the way by the way that I thought she was going to use her laser vision to open up that water tower, and I love that she just flies through it. I thought that was cool. Yeah, I mean, I can see why this took so long to shoot. Look at all this coverage, all these But.
Speaker 2: That's what's frustrating is that this sequence really doesn't amount to much because the only goal is to have Ethan set eyes on Yahara right and fall in love with her, And so we've been on this like ten twelve minute journey just for that.
Speaker 1: That's a great point, which is a shame, because I do think this is an impressive sequence. Yeah, it's too bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't mean more necessarily or.
Speaker 1: For me, it was just striking me how ridiculous it was that this woman was destroying the city just over this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And well, and what we see later is like, you know, you've got people like protesting her. Yes, So I'm like, so do they know about her from before? Like they're like, oh, it's that witch I lives down the road.
Speaker 1: I wondered if I had missed a few things. I actually went on the Wikipedia page afterwards and read the plot just to make sure I understood it and I didn't remember that she had turned herself into some sort of princess or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I love this here where fay Dna is like, don't look at her, don't look at her. I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love the light on the eyes though. I always love that shot. Uh So wait, okay, so he it's the first person he lays eyes on, right, and so he has stumbled out of that carnival and did not make eye contact with Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the idea is that he drinks the potion and he's all and then she's once it wears off the first person that he.
Speaker 1: Sees, Okay, and that's why she's desperately trying to capture him and bring him back.
Speaker 2: So yeah, because the idea was that he would have passed out in her home, her you know who, her Halloween amusement park home that she lives in.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he would wake up and he would see her right, and he would love her for a day. But that's the other thing.
Speaker 1: It's a day that I I was made clear to me in the Wikipedia article. I was like, wait a minute, I don't I don't remember that.
Speaker 2: All of us for a day. Yeah, one day of like the best sex he's ever had or she's ever had or somebody, right, I guess.
Speaker 1: And she's got to find another spider and she can just do it again. I guess. It's so weird. The carnival thing. What is that Joker? What is that graphic novel where Joker lives at a carnival?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the killing Joke, Killing Joke? Yeah. Yeah. And also in the Mask of the Phantasm.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what, that's what I was actually thinking of.
Speaker 2: Which also features the voice of Hart Backner.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, look at that. Huh. It's kind of funny that car. I was like sort of down for the kiss though, like, Okay, He's like I love you, and she's like, what are you talking about? He kisses her and she's like eh.
Speaker 2: This is the other thing is that they keep calling Carr the wimp. Yeah, And I'm like, it's just the whole construct is just very odd, like like, you know, Fade Dunaway is in competition with this high school girl and it's just like that wimp. It's a strange thing to call, right.
Speaker 1: Like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, man, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I guess Fade Dunaway was a little difficult too. On well you mentioned that earlier, but they even thought about possibly replacing her at some point with until in Houston I read.
Speaker 2: Who would go on to play a witch in The Witches?
Speaker 1: Witches? Yeah, I was like, you know, I kind of see it. She played a witch in the one of the EU movies.
Speaker 2: Too, Angelica Houston.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, isn't it her? Oh? Wait? Am I confusing? You know what I'm conflating. I'm conflating the Witches and a similar black haired in Jelica Houston type. I think.
Speaker 2: Okay, God, I mean I haven't the last time I saw that UOK movies was the eighties.
Speaker 1: You know what I really am. I think I'm mixing up a shot and the poster from the Witches that is from like a low angle. Wow, okay, melding together in my brain. That's because this is a commentary. I can't delete it.
Speaker 2: That's great. You know we're human, hey, trade of thought. See, doesn't this feel like this is like a comedy witch movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That would actually kind of work then where she likes the love spell of it all. Yeah, and just you know, I don't know the Hubrists and whatever. Yeah, a witch comedy that's so spot on, yes, but for a super Girl movie is just like the stakes couldn't be lower.
Speaker 2: That's that's the weird thing, right. I think the mistake is in having an antagonist that's really not not connected to Supergirl or her home, right. And I think again, what you needed to do was have the Omegahdron followed to Earth by by a malevolent race or person you know, I don't know, a space pirate or something. Who's who who? Who wants it? And maybe you even say something like like when they're on Argo City, like, oh, you know this omegahedron, it's our source of power, but it's also being sought after by by X person or whatever, you know, something like that, you know what I mean. Yeah, totally kind of a kind of a brainiac type force.
Speaker 1: Yeah. By the way, I've read that that had mistress scene was not in the original version, that's right, And I was like, that's exactly it. You don't let's go. Actually, I just tapped my iPad and was like where are we at? And it's like, let's go, let's go. We don't need this. And she's going to kiss herself in a mirror. Why, I mean, I get the google eyes sort of thing, because it's probably, yeah, she's young, is maybe her first kiss. I get, I get that, but this just feels so sluggish.
Speaker 2: I think that it's very straightforward. What she needed to do before she left Argo was have her little doodad on her wrist say you know, I have thirty six hours? Yeah yet, right, And then there's your Every so often she can glance at her thing and be like, I'm running out of time, you know.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I can completely buy that she might be a little smitt and kitten here and like a little lost in That totally makes sense. But then and that's when exactly she looks down and perfect right, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: Right, And you do that without even needing to sort of cut back and forth, you know.
Speaker 3: Hm.
Speaker 1: I like all this practical stuff. By the way, we're seeing the trees ripped out of the ground and this this, I don't even know how they did this. They collapse this little hill here.
Speaker 2: That that's cool looking. Yeah, this was all shot on pinewood. Yeah, the big double seven stages, which is where they shot you know, the first three Superman films. That that type of stuff always bugs me when they do that, Like instant change. They did that in the first Superman also, where he you know, he hears Lex Luthor's sum in him, Yeah, and he sneaks away and he jumps out the window and then as he's falling, he just becomes Superman. And I'm always like, well, why don't you just show like just just even if you handwave it, just show him changing at super speed or something. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's funny because movies used to do that more and they were like, hey, you get it. But audiences have become so much more well, I wouldn't say more sophisticated. You were probably wondering it as a kid. So but now we can our voices are heard more often, and so they do have to explain things a little bit more right, less hand.
Speaker 2: Wavy these days, and it's probably easier to depict it now. That's a good point technology. So this whole this thing about her her fighting the Shadow Demon. As I was watching it, I was like, well, this is kind of silly how we don't see it, And then we see it at the end and I was like, you know, I wish we didn't see it.
Speaker 1: It feels very ghostbuster Z. Yeah, like a puppet that's someone someone who worked on Ghostbusters. It was like a rejected demon dog design or something.
Speaker 2: Now, in the last few months, you've been singing the praise of hand drawn lightning animations. Yes, and I gotta sing the praise. I love seeing it.
Speaker 1: You know what I gotta say. There was a moment last night where I was looking down a little bit and I was kind of, you know, on Wikipedia and reading interviews and that sort of thing. And it was during this moment I was sort of looking down and then I looked up again and I saw the lightning. I loved this at this It was this shot where she holds it up, the thing and she's and I was like, whoa, whoa, whoa oah, Brian, you should be paying attention, truly, truly, because I just like the way this looks. I like the light lighting of the scene. I like the lightning of the scene. I like seeing her do Supergirl stuff. Yep, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that you know, the character, the Supergirl character in the comics up to this point. I think this was a problem that DC was dealing with. I'm talking about it in the eighties, is that you know, the character was first introduced to what nineteen fifty nine, I want to say, right, so she's about twenty five years old at this point, and I don't think she had a take. She didn't have an identity other than being the female equivalent of Superman, you know, right, and so I think that's to some extent. And this is the scene you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh, sorry, Yeah, I thought that was earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they they hadn't fully defined the character, and so you know, she struggled in terms of she had her own title for a little while, and then that was canceled. And then right maybe about a year or so before this movie came out, maybe an anticipation of this movie, they started a new monthly series, but they didn't really have a take because I think that her personality was not very defined. And so to the point that we were making earlier about you know, why did they change it so that it so that she's older than Clark. I think it it allows for something more interesting, just in terms of her having a point of view that's different from Superman, totally, right. And so obviously, as we record this, neither of us have seen the new film, but I mean just from the trailers, it seems like that's what the story is resting on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean speaking to the graphic novel, which I really enjoyed. She's a really interesting character. Yeah, Like she's she had a different experience, you know, losing her world and her family and everything, and she deals with it very differently. But she also has an inherent goodness that sometimes gets lost with her you know, outward belligerence from time to time, which is right. She's a really I'm really looking forward to the movie. After reading it, I became way more excited about the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean, by all accounts, it was that graphic novel that was the primary source of inspiration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a I'm really hoping they stick closely to it because it's.
Speaker 2: A great story. Yeah. And you know, she has a line in the trailer where she says something to the effect in paraphrasing, she's like, my cousin sees the good and everybody I see the truth, right, and and so you know, there's this this cynicism, right, and I think that the version of the character as depicted in this film doesn't have that because that was not the character in the comics, right. I don't think they had really nailed her, you know, the essentials of her world. She did not have a supporting cast really, you know. Yeah, yeah, And so you know, the fact is this movie comes out in nineteen eighty four, nineteen eighty six, that DC did a series called Crisis on Infender Earth's and they killed off Kara in that series.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: And and she was dead in the comics for twenty years.
Speaker 1: Oh oh wow. Wow.
Speaker 2: You know, I think and I think that just sort of speaks to the fact that DC didn't really know what to do with her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sounds like it.
Speaker 2: So you know, that's kind of where they were at when this movie came out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well, and that's maybe a part of the problem why this movie didn't connect. I'm sure there were a lot of reasons, but, like you said, just no distinctive story or even persona for this character for people to show up for or look forward to seeing on the big screen.
Speaker 2: Like I think it's very telling that, at least with the newer film, they certainly have made sure to clarify that David corn Sweat is in the movie.
Speaker 3: Mmmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, you know, But I love this Ethan now newly shaved and showered Ethan. Yeah, yeah, with like just following around like a goddamn psycho.
Speaker 1: But I love he's got the heart shaped box of can and roses. But like the way he's holding them too, you know, is if he's in a Hallmark commercial or something.
Speaker 2: It's like a high school sophomore, yeah, exactly for prom or something. You know. I remember reading the story book of this movie in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Like the hardcover storybook or that, remember the one ones that would have the little record.
Speaker 2: It was not one of those.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was like a larger size one and like the front page has a little square with all the characters and their names, okay, and it was just the storybook of the movie, you know. Yeah, And it was like this time, you know, because I was living in Saide, Arabia at the time, and it's like, well, whatever I have available, I will read, sure, you know. And I very like the beats of the story I knew from that story book, and I remember not being able to make heads or tails of it.
Speaker 1: Man, those were so cool back in the day. I remember that. Yeah, well, because I didn't see Temple of Doom till I was older, and that was one of those things where I could go to my elementary school library and they had the storybook for Raiders of the Lost Ark. I remember Return of the Jedi, the hardcover, you know, with Luke on Jaba's barge, Like, oh so cool. And then and then I saw the Temple of Doom story books. I was like wow. So I remember reading it and flipping through the pages and in the children's storybook they had Mola Ram with the heart on fire in his hand.
Speaker 2: Well you can't leave out the heart obviously.
Speaker 1: Well and I remember looking at that like what am I looking at? Like this is but you couldn't look away? Right, it was and it was horrifying. But that that's my first memory of that seeing that in a book, And it's a practical effect. So I mean it looked like I was looking at a photograph of a real like real life horror event.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy. See, So here we've got I don't know what we're supposed to feel about this relationship because I mean, he is clearly an adult man, yeah, and Carra is meant to be a schoolgirl.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So as I was rewatching this, I was like, I was like, was this normal? You know, because it because it brought to mind all those times on Saved by the Bill where Kelly was dating like not men, like like for adult men, right.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Like at one point she was dating her boss at the Max and it was it was Xander. It was Patrick Muldoon who played Xander Barclow on Starship Troopers.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, and he just passed away actually in the last month or so.
Speaker 1: But I'm like, he was a grown up, yeah.
Speaker 2: And Kelly, like she's a high school junior, you know, yes, but it was very common, is my point? Right.
Speaker 1: I wonder if that has a lot to do with the writers. It must these like middle aged men writers, like if I could date Kelly Kapowski, it's roast.
Speaker 2: But like maybe I don't know, but you realize, like, was this just like normalized in our pop culture.
Speaker 1: I think it kind of was, honestly. I mean yeah, like to your point, you saw it a lot more often, and that was just It's one of these things where like now in the social media age, you'll see these Instagram posts where people will look back on these older shows and be like, was that kind of weird?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, And maybe.
Speaker 1: People did think it was weird back then, but they didn't have outlets to express it like we do now, so you just rolled with it because that's the only entertainment we got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean it wouldn't have taken much to make any of this age appropriate.
Speaker 1: Yeah sure, sure.
Speaker 2: Right, like either make Ethan younger or make Kara older. Yeah, yeah, just have it be a college exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: And him, Yeah, like maybe he could be a college. This is like in the weeds, but like he could have been a student there, but he couldn't afford it, and so he's like working his way to pay for his own school or yeah, you know what I mean. Put them on equal footing in sort of.
Speaker 2: A way, right, And so that leads me to believe that that a lot of this was just culturally normalized. Yeah, you know, but I think that it just sort of circling back to the conversation we were having. I think I think a jaded, cynical car to me, is just more interesting, Yeah sure than sort of this this waife as she's portrayed as here, you know, mm hmm.
Speaker 1: You know, I want to call out when when Faye Dunaway is doing the spell. Yeah, I thing pointing her hand out at the carousel. You know what I really miss is really beautifully composed widescreen photography. You know, there are people that just came from a certain era, like an older school era, or even if the movie wasn't very good, they still knew how to compose a shot, right, you know, And I feel like we don't see that as much these days. It's a little bit more I don't called verite, but it's like, yeah, we're just capturing what's here, right, kind of a sensibility these days, which is not terrible, it's fine. But I do really love a well composed, you know, widescreen shot. Yeah, Like people of this vintage, that's just what they learned. That's what they learned.
Speaker 2: How to do You worked with what was available. Yeah. I think I think we live in such a green screen centric era that a lot of filmmakers are conditioned to just sort of get what you get and then we can fix it and post yeah. Yeah, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the filmmakers in question have the skills to follow through on that, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if if it's the story, the style, totally that's fine. But I just find sometimes I'll watch these older not so great movies, but I'm like, yeah, but man, they shot the hell out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, well, I think that is a reflection of geno' zwark, who you know, I would not necessarily consider him a great director, but I think I think he knew his way around a shot, sure, and when the script allowed, you know, he was able to exercise some skill. You know. It's like I said, right, like when you and I talked through Jaws too. That was sort of that was my final takeaway as I'm like, he didn't embarrass himself. No, totally right, and even somewhere in time, which I don't like. I know a lot of people love that movie. I don't. I don't think it's badly directed, certainly, And it is a shame because because I feel like this this movie sort of detonated a grenade in his career because well this immediately after this, he worked at the sal Kinds again. He did Santa Claus the movie.
Speaker 1: I was literally about to bring that up because I wanted to ask you, have you ever seen that?
Speaker 2: I have not seen it, but I don't know why, but I.
Speaker 1: Remember seeing it everywhere as a kid. I remember seeing something in the video store like books, and it seemed like sort of compelling because it came out when I was five. Sure, so I'm like, well, obviously I have a lot of interest in this man Santa Claus. He dictates an entire month of my year. But like, and it did look like a movie, you know, not like a brightly colored, made for kids kind of thing. It looked like, I don't know, like anything Steven Spielberg would make. And it starts Santa Claus. Like, it looked like a movie about Santa Claus. And I remember having interest in it, but I never got around to seeing it, and apparently it wasn't good, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was sort of a legendary flop. And it's weird because we can look at it now and be like, well, that seems like a terrible thing to spend a lot of money on. But you can also weirdly see the sol kinds of being like, hey, we got a lot of success with this other epic take on this beloved flying man in red. Oh sure, yeah, yeah, yeah, let's give it a shot with this, So you know what I mean, You can see both sides of it, But yeah, that one Jenno Swark directed, which that did have Dudley Moore, but yeah, they got him. I'm sure they were all very happy. Everybody was happy to Dudley Moore participate. But if this was like the the the body blow, that was the double tap, you know, I think in terms of Zwark's movie career, yeah, he would go and he directed a ton of television. In fact, speaking of Superman, he did like fifteen sixteen episodes of Small Bill.
Speaker 1: Ah, good friend.
Speaker 2: You know, I remember seeing his name in the credits of that and be like, oh from supergol actually, speaking of other super connections, Helen Slater on Small Bill, she played Laura Uh, Superman's father mother excuse me, and his father was played by the guy who just he just passed away. Remember he went hiking Julian Sands. Oh really, yeah, yeah I remember he like he got lost on a hike. You remember that, and he just I do? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, So he played Jorel. And then Helen Slater would go on to play on the Supergirl television show right which was on the c CBS and then the CW. She played Eliza Danvers, Kara's human mother. Oh okay, yeah, and she In fact, Helen Slater played her human mom and Dean Kine played her her foster father.
Speaker 1: Hmm. Interesting.
Speaker 2: And then I think at some point they wrote Dean Kane out of the show once, like his his douchery became too pronounced right. Just just this past week, as a matter of fact, somebody shared a meme of Millie Alcock from the new film and they contrasted it with like a like the the Neanderthal people from Land of the Lost.
Speaker 1: Yes, I saw someone on my own Facebook page post this that I used to work with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and he Dean Kane shared that and goes, I laughed, Yeah, And I'm just like, bro, like, what's wrong with you?
Speaker 1: You know, like I know, like this is like this.
Speaker 2: Is a human being you're talking about. I know that that is a person who is about to get thrust into just this freaking cauldron of fanboy rage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're in the family.
Speaker 2: You're in the family. Yeah, Like forget being like, hey, let's not talk about somebody like that that. I don't I don't even expect that anymore. But I'm like, you you could have just not said anything.
Speaker 1: You could have just not say exactly you know, and again that's she's like your sister now in a way, I mean to your point, Like all these Superman's stories, I love the way that they bring all these people back and keep it all in the family, and it feels like they're this fraternity that they would look out for one another and support one another and bring new people into the fold and make them feel welcome, and like, why the world would you? It's very strange, very strange.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, I think unfortunate. I mean, this is a broader conversation, but just sort of that online affirmation when somebody hits like on your friggin' bullshit, like whatever endorphin rush it sends to your brain, you know, right right, that's a it's a broader discussion, but I mean it's it is. I feel terrible already for whatever Millie Alcock is going through. I know, I know, you know, because it's just it's it's it's just who wants to deal with this? You know? I know? I know now now that said, I met Helen Slater at a convention twenty years ago or so, yeah, and I have to admit I was like, yeah, oh man, I mean, well I thought she was gorgeous when this movie.
Speaker 1: Came out, you know for sure. I mean, yeah, she's beautiful, She's.
Speaker 2: She's luminous even now, you know.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a nice got to have a it was I was. I was there like before the floor opened up, so I was actually able to have like actual conversations with people, which is really nice. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cool. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I got it. That'll be my follow up to this as I'll check out the legend of Billy Jean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, you know, I mean that that's kind of the thing for me is I'm always I'm always glad when you have somebody make their debut in a film like this, and even if the movie underperforms, if they've done a good job, like they are rewarded in terms of some degree of career longevity. Right. It's a little bit like Kyle McLaughlin in Dune. Mmm, sure, right, where I'm like that that movie should have just just been a nuclear event for his career. Right, But my man has never stopped working.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, you know yeah, and David Lynch obviously found some sort of muse with him, right, I mean the velvet and direst of course, I don't know. I just actually I was laughing more at the scene earlier where I can't even remember these characters' names. Stay down away, she like throws a coconut.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know it just with with remarkable precision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, heart Backner's head on a beach. And then Beyonca's just sitting there kind of with her legs crossed and holding a cigarette, just watching it all go down. And I'm like, what, this is such a funny movie.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing, right, because because getting beamed on the melon with a coconut.
Speaker 1: From the sky no less yeah right, not just a tree.
Speaker 2: And it came from out of like it had to have achieved escape velocity. Yeah right, And so that's something you roll with in a comedy. But if we're living in an ostensibly real world, I'm like, he should be dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he'd be dead. I mean, isn't one of those facts that comes up a lot where a certain number of people die a year because coconuts fall in their heads.
Speaker 2: That is fascinating and frightening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so stay away from coconut trees, or at least not directly underneath them, ye stand away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he disappears.
Speaker 1: I kind of want like a, I know, that's what we needed, or why not just go?
Speaker 2: You know, whenever you have scenes in movies like what we just saw here, where you have characters who are like they're able, they're able to see what's happening far away, you know, yes, yes, I think I were, and we see the image. I'm always like, how how is the camera placement dictated on what you see?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Huh yes, right, like yeah, it's very specific, like the framing and everything.
Speaker 1: This is yes, Yeah, it's like when people watch home movies in movies, but they're like cut, they're they're edited exactly, you know, like that's how not how home movies work. They're handheld uncut, that's right. Yeah, they look like produced cinema. So yeah, her magic mirror effect is kind of funny because it's like cinema framing, cinema editing is exactly. Yeah, this mountain, you know, looks pretty good. Not gonna lie. I don't know about the liquid that's coming down the sides, but right effect the lighting making it looks like it look like it's at the end of the street. That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: But I think to the point you were making earlier it's I we don't know anything about Selena. Yeah, so it's kind of like, why does she want this? Why does she want to castle on top of the mountain?
Speaker 1: Right, Like, yeah, it's just a funny sentence. Why does she want a castle on top of a mountain? I don't know.
Speaker 2: It seems inconvenient to me. I'm just gonna put this out there.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree, which, by the way, just reminds me of one of my favorite things that makes me smile, and I wouldn't change or have any other way. But I love in Edward Scissorhands how it takes place in this like hilarious nineteen fifties suburban neighborhood. But at the end of the street there's this giant Gothic castle on a mountain that they're like, oh, yeah, that thing.
Speaker 2: That's right. I love that basically that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's a fairy tale.
Speaker 2: This is trying to be a fairy tale. That's true. I think the fact that Okay, I mean, granted, you don't have Chris Reeve. Chris Reeves. Chris Reeve made very clear he wants something to do with this. Yeah, although hopefully he did get a check for them using his face on that poster. Right. But I think even still, by virtue of Mark McClure being in this movie, you're explicitly connecting it to those other movies. So I think you have responsibility to make it fit, not just tonally, but also in terms of how you how you depict the world, right. And I think that's the problem, is that there's nothing there's nothing in the prior films that talks about magic as a factor, you know, right. And I'm not saying magic can't exist, you know, I am saying I don't like this wasn't the movie to do it. That would have been something that you do in the sequel once you have explicitly connected this to that the previous films, right right.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's it's like one thing I always say is like audience, Like in terms of suspension of disbelief, your audience will go with you. But once you establish the rules, you you can only gently push those boundaries, you can't break them, right right. It's it's like if a cyborg showed up in Lord of the Rings, right right, you'd be like, come on, even though it's a world of orcs and demons and everything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, Actually that's a that's a great example. Yeah, you know, yeah, I like those things, but those things don't mesh in my mind.
Speaker 2: Exactly, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the I've always loved the effect, the phantom zone effect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's cool, the glass or the mirror floating, yeah, twirling through space.
Speaker 2: But my question is, so the the thing that you know, the glass thing, so is that I always thought that is the phantom zone.
Speaker 1: I thought so too. Yeah, but of course what.
Speaker 2: We see here makes it seem like it's a vessel that gets you to the phantom zone.
Speaker 1: Right, which is like this desolate planet. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is very confusing, right, I.
Speaker 1: Mean that wasn't the case before. But they needed her to meet with the Peter O'Toole again, and that would be kind of funny actually if that happened just in a floating mirror, Like she's standing like ah and then he's like ough and like bumps into her and she's like, oh, what are you doing here? It's just you know, as they're confined to this small little shard of glass floating through space.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See, like I wonder if there was a better way to visualize it.
Speaker 1: So it doesn't just look like she sent her to Mars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I I yeah, exactly right, because because if you remember, you know, in in in Superman the movie, we see the three criminals are are are sent to the Phantom Zone, and that glass is just spinning in space, right, and then in Superman two, the nuclear blasts or the atomic bomb it explodes, and then and then they're freed from the prison, right, So then by that means they have been in the phantom Zone that entire time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I.
Speaker 2: Feel like, what what what might have been more effective is you see her enveloped in the in the thing, you know, and and it goes off into space, and then essentially our perspective shifts, so it's like the camera passes through the glass and now we're seeing it from the inside out.
Speaker 3: Mmm.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense totally? Yeah, So that way we're not doing the thing like it shatters and she's it's like that we go through and now we see what it's like inside for the people who are there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, which in my mind would be some sort of like big haunting house of mirrors or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Or I mean it can even make sense, right or it makes a little sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like there's no time there's no space, there's nothing.
Speaker 1: It's just exactly.
Speaker 2: I have to say. I was watching this with my daughter and right away she's like, Zaltar is going to find her. Really, so she's she's plugged into this stuff.
Speaker 1: I wasn't even thinking about it, but I so this. Yeah, this I think was a moment again where I like looked down for a second and I was like, wait a minute, why did they have signs against her? How do they even know who this person is?
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. It's it's like she snapped her fingers and now it's it's Biff nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: But that's my question is like, is it like she was operating in si in in silence this entire time, like you know, nobody knew who she was, and then suddenly now everybody knows or was it always like oh that crazy witch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like they know that there's that crazy person in town.
Speaker 2: So this here where Lucy's like my roommate Linda, and then they both be on Ka and Selena are like the whimp. I'm like, that is the weirdest thing in this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I read something I don't know if this is true or not, but that apparently you see some big puddle of water that suddenly appears in the scene, okay, right there maybe or maybe when they're standing there with the signs, and apparently it's from a deleted scene where Selena turns a protester into an ice statue and shatters it.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Cool, cool, that's what I said. I was like, I kin see that, right of all the things to not cut and the.
Speaker 2: Thing kind of a cut, kind of a moss Man in Masters of the Universe. Sure, yeah, yeah, yeah, right here this is where and I was like, yep, it's Altar or actually she was like, it's what's his name, Zaltar?
Speaker 1: She said that yeah, literally wow.
Speaker 2: So she was paying attention.
Speaker 1: She's like, this is when Lawrence of Arabio shows up, knowing your daughter. Seriously.
Speaker 2: There's also a funny bit later where where they see her, you know, Patty and Selma see you're in the Phantoms yea, and they're like, she's with some old guy. And I was like, how old was peedo o'tool? And he's like early fifties.
Speaker 1: He's fifty one. I looked at him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, okay, come on, yeah. Still he seems like a perfectly adequate fifty year old man. Come on, right, right, right, Yeah, Peter O'Toole is an interesting cat, though. You know, it's like it definitely feels like he sort of fell victim to his own, you know, predilections.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I remember he had that kind of comeback moment with Venus. That's right, maybe like fifteen twenty years ago, and I don't remember if he was nominated.
Speaker 2: I think twenty thirteen he died.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, he either was nominated or won an Oscar for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had his I'm looking now. He's on the Tutors. That's right, he was in the Tutors. I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: I'd ratitituey. He's anton Ego, that's right. Well, I was spot on twenty years Venus anyway. Yeah, yeah, but I know him best from Lawrence of Arabia.
Speaker 2: Oh not from Supergirl.
Speaker 1: Well now, Zaltar, the guy who sacrifices himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Tutors, by the way, which also start Henry Cavill.
Speaker 1: Oh really see, Oh, there's.
Speaker 2: So many Superman interconnections at these.
Speaker 1: Things, you know, Yeah, there really is.
Speaker 2: See Jimmy Olsen is so completely useless in this movie. That's what I feel bad for Mark McClure, because he's entirely right. I'm sure. I'm sure he was happy to get that paycheck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, I guess it's like you know that a pros and cons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because because he he said like he had just finished Superman three, which was also in the UK, and they're probably like, hey, hang out for another couple of weeks and and just do this thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, create a link. I understand it, but they just don't make it seem necessary at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like, I guess what I'm saying is I would have liked for this film to show us a little bit of a side of him, like, you know, all that hanging around Superman has taught him something.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, totally totally. But instead he's just a man of inaction, yeah when stuff's going down, and then he gets to be like another person in a hanging from the ceiling in a cage exactly you know who He even comments on like what seriously hanging in a cage from the ceiling? How unoriginal?
Speaker 2: Basically that's just Mark McClure.
Speaker 1: I've I was like, do you know that that little trivia from the Lego movie where Morgan Freeman's wizard character He's is something like, all right, we gotta write all that down because I'm not gonna remember any of it, Okay, And apparently, and it sounds very random and funny in the movie, and it turns out that was Morgan Freeman unhappy while they were recording and excited to use it. Yeah, that's hilarious.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: So you gotta wonder you have that's Mark McClure, Like, what seriously hanging from a ceiling? Who wrote this stuff? Yeah?
Speaker 2: See, So going back to what I was saying earlier, if you make Zaltar Zorel and you make him Kara's.
Speaker 1: Father, oh man, Yeah, doesn't that.
Speaker 2: Make all of this just a lot more emotional? Yeah?
Speaker 1: All of it? All of it like we forgive you. I I'm being punished for your mistake, but like I'm gonna help you get out here to correct it. You know, I'll sacrifice myself absolutely, you know.
Speaker 2: Again, It's just those are those types of choices that I look at and I'm like, well, I don't think I'm you know, that ahead of the curve, you know, And it's not like it's oh well forty years of hindsight. I mean, this feels like the type of decision making you make it while this is all coming right, because ultimately it's like, how how do we connect every character to our main character in a way where there's some emotional push and pull? And that's a no brainer to me. Yeah, you know, and you allow because to me, this is the equivalent of, you know, when when Superman is able to connect with his father through the computer in the Fortress Solitude. You know, it's just it's like this thing that she thought she had lost, but now she has it. Yeah, and you know, her final test is that she you know, she has to lose her mentor you know. Yep.
Speaker 1: Gotta say, man, the practical sets yeah something to it.
Speaker 2: By the way, she's really good in this scene.
Speaker 1: I was literally thinking that when she takes the squirt bottle thing, yeah and kind of does this this smile.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, wow.
Speaker 1: That's really good. Yeah, She's she's experiencing a lot of feelings right here, and she's expressing them really well.
Speaker 2: Now the the sal Kinds initially wanted brook Shields.
Speaker 1: For this fal I mean, I can see that especially in this moment.
Speaker 2: At this moment, I can see it. Yeah, I think I think Brooke Shields was in the mix. I know Demi Moore read for it interesting and I think ultimately I think with Brooke Shields they just decided she was too famous. M and and I mean certainly that's true in that that was exactly the process they went through with with Superman. Right where before Chris Reeve comes in, they're looking at gosh, like Sylvester Stallone and Robert Redford and you know al Pacino like and and the problem is anybody who you know that well is going to look like that actor wearing a super Man suit, right right, And so they they really did break the mold when they found Christopher Reeve, right, I think in terms so that thinking of being like, let's find an unknown like like Chris Reeve for this, that worked out Lynd Stallmaster, same casting director. H And I think, like I was saying earlier, I think Helen Slater plays the role in the same she's in the same lane as Chris Reeve. But I think the movie does let her down rather often.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed.
Speaker 2: One thing one thing she did speak about it was how generous Peter O'Toole was as a scene partner, and yeah, and how much she learned from him, you know, for.
Speaker 1: Someone who's so young and he's already a legend at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he would have easily been like, man, f this, what am I doing here?
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly, but treating her like a peer, Yeah, scene partner, and that's just only going to make the work better.
Speaker 2: I agree. Yeah, And again I think Peter O'Toole is good in this movie. That's the other thing, right, I'm watching it type yeah, yeah, you know, I think that obviously the movie was leaning into the fact that he was a legend, and they were leaning they were trying to use that to him and fade down away where like the I'll look at all the look at the people we got in this movie, you know, Yeah, and they showed up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true. They don't look like they have one eye already on how to get out of the studio.
Speaker 2: On the sack of cash with a dollar sign on it, except just off camera, you know. See. I think this bit here where he sacrifices himself doesn't hit for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to hear why because I remember thinking, feeling something similar. But I also didn't quite understand it that.
Speaker 2: So that's my issue is, yeah, I don't I don't understand what got him here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, because and I think.
Speaker 2: Just a little bit of dialogue would have done it, right, because in the early part of the film, he talks about how he wants to leave Argo. He's like, maybe I'll go to Earth or whatever, and and here he's just like, ah, screw it, you know, I can't weather the storm. And and I just think we needed to connect one thing to the other, like if it's if it's if it's he's so torn apart by despair that he's like, I'm not strong enough. Well that's interesting, but I think the dialogue should alluded to that, like the Phantom zone has just broken.
Speaker 1: Him, right, he's been there for so long.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's yeah, that's interesting. Or he's desperate to get out, but but he knows that by sacrificing himself, Kara can get out exactly, then that's interesting. But we don't get either of those.
Speaker 1: See that's when I went on Wikipedia because I didn't understand why he had to sacrifice himself, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a little bit like Jonesy I'm gonna be okay, you know.
Speaker 1: Right right from Crystal Skill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great. I remember, I remember you see it. You're like yeah, bye, yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: I'm I don't understand he and Indie's relationship. I certainly as an audience member, do not care about that character. Just like a wink and a just let me go, It'll be all right. I'm like fine bye see yeah.
Speaker 2: Jeez, yeah, I think that if this is if this is him saying, you know, alone, I can't get out of here. But now that the two of us are, we can help each other. And then they're this close, and it's one of these things where he realizes it's either him or her, and so it's got to be her. Then that's something totally you know, but he just kind of like, no, I can't do it, and he just flings himself in right, like yeah. It's very strange.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, sort of like I thought of that moment in Titanic when DiCaprio tries to get on the door yeah yeah, and then it won't work, and then he does this little thing to himself. He's like right, like yeah, okay, like that's how it's gotta be. Like it would be nice if we got a moment here where he's like, yeah, the two of us and then realizes, oh, only one of us can make it, and he's like, yep, nope, it's gonna be her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, yeah, right, that scene in Titanic that it pisses me off that to this day, we're coming up on thirty years, people like, there's enough room on the door for both of them. I'm like, no, there wasn't. I know, he tried. It didn't work. Pablished in the movie.
Speaker 1: I know. I mean, maybe it would have helped if the door had looked smaller, just for you know whatever, But yes, it is established in the movie that it won't work.
Speaker 2: Dude. It it drives me bananas that people say that shit right now in the Year of Our Lord twenty twenty six, like they have just discovered something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like they have something over it exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's like every few months on social media, somebody gonna be like, if Batman really wanted to help people instead of beating up the mentally ill, he would pay for their treatment.
Speaker 1: Dude. I just saw that recently too, and I was like, that's not what he does.
Speaker 2: I know. I'm like, you just thought you came up with something, didn't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so funny.
Speaker 1: I bet her algorithms are pretty similar.
Speaker 2: Would imagine which I'm gonna say, good, Yeah, she looks.
Speaker 1: Great, doesn't she. There put their hands on her hips, Supergirl.
Speaker 2: Like she's got the this gick us up. I know, man, that's good. It's got the physicality.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like this is very like comic bookie, right, like old school comic bookie. It's like now there's like hot spikes on the ground, yeah, or sort of like Indiana Jones, like Temple of Doom a little bit like the spikes in that room coming down.
Speaker 2: And that's right. This was the same year, is that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, wow, that's weird to think about. So Ghostbusters Temple of Doom this eighty four.
Speaker 2: See that's the thing, right, you look at the Temple of Doom and you can watch that right now, forty plus years later and it feels contemporary, right, dude, totally right. And so that's like watching it, Like you say, this and Temple of Doom came out within a few months of each other. I don't believe it.
Speaker 1: Guess what the budget was on Temple of Doom less than this twenty eight million. There you go versus this movie's thirty five. So I mean it goes to show sometimes throwing more money thing isn't always the right approach. Yeah, yeah, but you're so right. Yeah, yeah, that movie does look contemporary.
Speaker 2: Like if if you watch Templa Doom right now, kids will be engrossed in it and not have to make a lot of excuses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a few, you know, Matt paintings aside, but sure, and the filmmaking, the acting, the yeah, the adventure of the peril, the stunts, that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: This movie's excuse.
Speaker 2: That's that's the weird thing. You know, it doubly because you know, they were coming off of Superman three, which was not received well, and so you think they would have doubled down more on really locking in the story. Yeah, you know, because this movie was announced before Superman three mm and I think initially the plan was for her to that's a very funny bit from her character. By the way, Aca character, I like her very broad. Yeah, I think she she's she's kind of in the right lane for this movie.
Speaker 1: I know Parker Posey already was in a Superman movie, but I can see a Parker Posy type now, yep doing her.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oddly enough, they didn't let Parker Posey play a Parker Posey type.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's right. She's just kind of damsel in distress really yeah and bored and yeah.
Speaker 2: But what was I saying?
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm sorry I derailed you.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that was me. Uh yeah. They planned to introduce her in Superman three. Uh oh, okay, okay, and initially Ilia saul Kind was like, oh, we're writing out Lois and Superman's new love interest will be Supergirl. Oh, which, like, bro, did you I mean, maybe look into the characters you own the rights to just get that all figured out beforehand. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: They decided not to do that, and I think maybe that would have been smart. I mean, I wonder if the current Superman folks specifically thought of that, And that's why they had Supergirl show up at the end of the twenty twenty five movie m so that it's like it's it's rooted within the world that people already know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is linked they know each other exactly, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, So so this looks terrible.
Speaker 1: I was about to give this movie a compliment and then I was like, wow, yeah, but I just real quick, the Faye Dunaway stuff here with their hair blowing and the back lighting and the fog, that's all fine. I was like, you know, sometimes just great craft can look even better than a visual effect. Yes, Like I really believe she's harnessing some sort of magic and it's spooky looking and dazzling looking. I was like, man, you gotta give it to the old school stuff here, like they worked with what they had and sometimes it feels even more magical to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then you get then you have this yeah, yes, yeah, they're they're doing well. This is right.
Speaker 1: What is happening?
Speaker 2: So the monster has Kara and he's twisting her like taffy.
Speaker 1: I guess, okay, okay, that's what I thought is happening.
Speaker 2: And then zaltar Obi wants this thing, yeah, and so that's her way out. But I'm just like, guys, you had to have known how stupid this looks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it doesn't look like she's actually there. It's she's kind of transparent or something.
Speaker 2: The shadow Demon is a physical presence because she fought the invisible version earlier. So I'm like, why don't you have her use heat vision or something like something so that we don't have to see that where she twisted and looks ridiculous.
Speaker 1: You know, this movie costs more than Temple of Doom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think about that, wild. I mean, it costs more than Star Wars, you know, yeah, yeah, I think that was seventeen million. Yeah, so I feel like this all kinds solution is always just throw money at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know, because they were basically like Return of the Jedi cost less than this movie that was thirty two and a half million. That was just that was just a year earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, the sal Kinds were like gold and Globus. I feel like kind of you know, they would they would get stars on board, they would raise a bunch of money from international investors, and then just use that like, oh just figure it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was gonna say, maybe that's a real testament to ILM. Also in that story, they were not only pioneers, but they were the best of the best. Like they were innovating and doing it exceptionally well. And you know, I don't want to disparage the people who worked on this, but like maybe just I don't know, they had developed the same sorts of tricks, and they were working with whatever they had to work with.
Speaker 2: But see that that's the weird thing, right because because Superman three, it was just a year earlier, And say what you will about that movie. I'm not going to defend it. I will say I probably have the same level of nostalgia for Superman three that a lot of folks likely have with this one. You know, but I mean it's not you know, it's not a well written film. But one thing you can say is that the effects largely hold up.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's my memory. I've only seen it the one time with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, there's a few, like you said, you know, occasionally there's matt lines that aren't perfect, but by and large, the effects work. And many of the same people who made those films, those first three Superman's were involved in this, which is why the fall off effects wise is very odd to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, huh. How do they do that? Get her to fly out that door? Huh, that's what you need? The mountain disappears. See this is so stupid, but I actually thought he's to be like, Wow, our love can move mountains.
Speaker 2: So this here, he says goodbye Linda because he figured it out. And then he's like hmm okay, and then he just walks.
Speaker 1: In the world.
Speaker 2: Right like why would you not have the camera trained on his face? He has this look of longing as she leaves, and then you.
Speaker 1: Cut like the end of et like yes with Elliott looking at the sky wind blowing the hair. Yes, one hundred.
Speaker 2: What are you doing? You know?
Speaker 1: What he should have done is like put his hands in his pocket and go oh. And then he sees a penny on the ground and picks it up, flips it, catches it, puts it in his pocket, walked away, so we.
Speaker 2: Don't get to see her fly back to Argo as her entire community is dead.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what it should have, all of them either, yeah, suffocating on the ground like where have you been?
Speaker 2: They could have had like the mist ending you.
Speaker 1: Know, yes, yes, yes, oh man.
Speaker 2: So one thing I should say. You know, they had the big premiere in the UK for this, and Christopher Reeve was there, you know, and so you know, I think during the production, even though he wasn't involved, I know that Helen Slater spoke with him just to get kind of a lay of the land, and you know he gave her good advice and they never got to appear on screen together in live action, but they did the CGI recreation in the flash.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, just you leading up to that. It unlocked a memory.
Speaker 2: Yep. I read that, which I know a lot of people have strong negative feelings about that film broadly, and you know that sequence in particular. I will say, you know, I I certainly appreciated that the intent behind it, and I've said all along, if the families are okay with it, or in this case sounds later herself, it's okay with it. I really don't have a problem with them doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Same, I don't know. I felt like we were on another planet with that movie. It's very weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I stand by it. I mean I haven't revisited a ton, but I enjoyed it then and I have enjoyed it when I have revisited it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, can I just say this movie's credit game is on point.
Speaker 2: If you're spending a million dollars per credit sequence, then yeah.
Speaker 1: But like it's sort of different. Yeah, it reminds me of the Star Wars crawl, but not exactly. It almost looks like a camera up high pointed toward like a soldiers marching towards you, or something like a slightly overhead and it looks amazing. And look as the credits get close to the bottom of the frame, they go out of focus. Yeah, like someone put a lot of thought into this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's my takeaway. The credits in this movie are just a plus.
Speaker 2: There you go, this is this is like phishing for a compliment. What do you think of the movie? Well, the credits really blew my hair back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this is your second time, second and final time watching Supergirl from nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably probably. I You know, that's the thing, right, because there was even as you said that, I know, I joked about it earlier, but I thought, well, maybe if it was on TV or something, maybe i'd stop on it. But then I thought, that's a problem with this movie. There's so few scenes I would actually want to stop on.
Speaker 2: That's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe the tractor thing in the middle or you know, sort of the first half of the movie. But then as it's just you know, the witch milling about her layer just measure mirror stuff, I'm probably not gonna want to stop on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, That's what you realize is you know, you said magic mirror, and when they were putting this thing together, they basically just they just they they did snow White, and they did a fine replace and put you know, Supergirl's name in the script wherever snow White appears, you know, yeah, it's it's very much and and that speaks to, I think, sort of an unseiousness because you're like, oh, we got to make something girls alike, and it's like again, I if I were to bet, I would say there were plenty of female viewers of those first two Superman movies totally totally right, and they plugged into the romance and and all that other stuff while in the context of an action picture. And so I think it tells you something that you had Supergirl and then about twenty years later you had Catwoman, and both are awful. I think both remain like the lowest rotten Tomato scores, you know, for like a DC movie. And and so you have these two flops that really oh and then and then the Electra you know somewhere oh yeah, right around there.
Speaker 1: I remember it well.
Speaker 2: I I'm sure you do. But those like dissuaded studios from taking a swing on female superheroes. Yeah, and it's like, I don't know, why don't you just treat it like a superhero picture that happens to have a female lead instead of exactly, instead of like second guessing yourself.
Speaker 1: You know, it's amazing that we're finally possibly catching up to that idea.
Speaker 2: Hopefully, you know. I mean, as we are recording, we have no idea what Supergirl twenty twenty six, what the prognostications are for it. But I certainly hope it does well just to sort of prove the naysayers wrong. Obviously, I hope the movie is good more than anything. But yeah, said, you know, I think there is this tendency. It's it's it's only gotten worse, Like I said, the real polarized, weird internet conversations. But I feel like, look, if you make a good picture, people show up. Yeah. Yeah, you know, but hey, let us know, let us know your thoughts on Supergirl from I For I know that this is a movie that a lot of our listeners likely do have some nostalgia for, so I definitely want to hear your thoughts totally on the film and our thoughts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I completely understand that because there are movies that I grew up with that I can look at now and be like, Wen, I probably wouldn't show anybody that that's what they hadn't seen it before, because it's just something I enjoyed when I was a kid. There's a nostalgic attachment, and so I completely understand that there are people who probably love this movie, you know, because they grew up with it, and so I definitely want to hear their feelings about that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And if you want to send those to us, you can email us at moviefilm podcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash movie Film Podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple Podcasts and leave review, leave a star rating. Every little bit helps, And if you're listening to this show on YouTube, please hit like, hit subscribe, and of course leave a comment there because we do read those on the show as well. Brian, I know we have a Patreon also, that's right.
Speaker 1: If you head over to Patreon slash moviefilm Podcast, hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done and every episode moving forward. Absolutely ad free. In addition to that, you can now find bonus conversations that we drop about twice a month, trailer talk, extra things that wouldn't fit into the episode, which are a lot of fun. Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show. So no ads or interruptions, butting into the conversation, which is crucial when you're trying to watch along with a commentary. Plus, your subscription goes a long way in helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. So if you're interested in able, please head over to patreon dot com, slash MOVIEFILM podcast and subscribe.
Speaker 2: We'd be very grateful. And if you're looking for me online, you can find me on social media at Zachi's corner. That's the Akis Corner. You can also read my reviews at the San Francisco Chronicle and also at IGN and The Rap What About You, Brian, You.
Speaker 1: Can find episodes I've written of Puppy Dog Pals and Young Jedi Adventures streaming on Disney Plus and with that on.
Speaker 2: Behalf of my partner Brian Hall. My name is Zachi Hasan. This has been our movie film commentary track for nineteen eighty four Supergirl. We'll catch you next time. Thanks everybody,