Speaker 1: The FBI in Peace and War. Another great story based on pet probably writing but the FBI in Peace and War drama Thrill's Actions, The Night's Transcribe story The Bumbler.
Speaker 2: Hello Alice, Alice to me, I'm still done at the bank, but maybe you better go ahead.
Speaker 3: And need you suffer?
Speaker 2: Oh, go ahead, I'm I'm not coming home to night Alley.
Speaker 4: You're not coming home.
Speaker 2: I'm not coming home the norm. I'm going to wait for a while. I don't know exactly where, but I'll write to you if i can. I don't. Don't try to tell me.
Speaker 4: What's the matter?
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: In Holley.
Speaker 2: Something's happened down here is something I've done. You're probably find anyway.
Speaker 3: Look, wait there, I'll come down a week would come.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry this happened, but I couldn't help it. To carry yourself, Vanage, you could carry yourself.
Speaker 1: Stanley Phillips, aged thirty one, was a teller at the suburban National Bank, where he had worked for ten years. Stanley had been married for seven of those years and had lived uneventfully in a three room apartment. He had one passionate and consuming interest in life, motor boats. For six months before his purchase of a sixteen foot speedboat, Stanley had been embezzling small sums of money from the bank, but he was clumsy and inept at hiding his steps. The night before and audit Stanley ran away and it was found he had stolen a total of fifty five hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: How could he? How couldn't have done a thing? Right there?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Allie? Do you want another cup of coffee? Hell?
Speaker 4: Sat No?
Speaker 3: I didn't even know him, did I?
Speaker 4: All those years and I didn't know a thing about him?
Speaker 3: Who knows anybody even themselves?
Speaker 4: If he wanted the boat so bad, we could have saved the money. Why didn't he tell me?
Speaker 3: All he supposed he lie down a while, was that they fellow will be back, Get a little sleep. Oh, I can't law?
Speaker 4: What's the use of trying?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe I'll go back to the apartment.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're gonna stay here at the house with me. You've got your own room upstairs and no one will bother you. All right? But if Stammer should call the apartment, what, Oh you'll call me sometime, I know you will, Allie. I don't want you to talk to him, ever, i'd have to you can't, Allie.
Speaker 4: No, he isn't a racketeer or a hoodler.
Speaker 3: He took five thousand dollars of other people's money. Yes, I know he didn't think of you when he did it.
Speaker 4: Oh my, didn't.
Speaker 3: All he thought about was himself in that stupid boat. What right did he have to do a thing like this to you? He must have meant to put the money back sometime, Allie.
Speaker 4: He must have mad.
Speaker 3: All right, Alice, all right.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe maybe I will have.
Speaker 3: A little more coffee. Yes, it'll do you good.
Speaker 4: I'll bring my things over tomorrow from the department.
Speaker 3: Yes you want cream?
Speaker 4: No, just bless mah.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know just what he'd say if he was here now, he'd say, Ali, I was only borrowing the money temporarily. Yeah, sure, he was just borrowing. But he leaves you here to talk to cops, to have your picture in the paper, wife of them.
Speaker 4: That's small. You'll have to take.
Speaker 3: It, Alie, not him, Never mind if you didn't even know about it.
Speaker 4: If you're his wife, and.
Speaker 3: They're not gonna let you alone from now on, not till they catch him. They will catch him, won't they Stanley's such a bungler, they're sure to catch him sometimes.
Speaker 1: Although Stanley Phillips was clumsy in crime, he did manage to disappear for more than six months. During that time, he made no attempt to get in touch with his wife, and the strict surveillance we had maintained was relaxed a little. It was then that a long distance call reached Alice Phillips at eight thirty one morning.
Speaker 4: Stanley, where are you?
Speaker 2: And I want to tell you, Alice, let me get you in trouble.
Speaker 4: But listen, I need a little money.
Speaker 1: I haven't been too well Stanley.
Speaker 2: Look if I give you a name in a post office bars, could you let me have fifty dollars?
Speaker 4: Of course, Dan, But listen, if you're sick, go to a doctor. Please? Will you? Promising me, won't you just send me the money?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 2: Send it care of Frederick Milson Stanley. Stanley, No, I didn't know you were home.
Speaker 3: I was upstairs taking a nap.
Speaker 4: Stanley just phoned.
Speaker 3: I know. I listened on an extension. What I'm sorry, Alice.
Speaker 4: I had a feel you've got to snoop on my car.
Speaker 3: Can't help it, Alice. I had a feeling it might be him. I want them to catch him. By then it'll be over and you'll stop crying and worrying yourself into skin and boat.
Speaker 4: I had no right to listen in, well I did.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you don't know where to send him the money.
Speaker 4: He's sick, Ma, you hurt?
Speaker 3: Yes, I heard the same old whine. He can't take care of himself. He needs help.
Speaker 4: He does, he needs me, Alice, Well he does.
Speaker 3: And I suppose you'd go to him right this minute if you knew where he was.
Speaker 2: I suppose I would.
Speaker 3: Oh, Alice, SMI you can't be married to someone for seven years and then all of a sudden, Alice Darling, the man is a criminal.
Speaker 4: He's wanted by the police. I am still married to him. He's gonna be caught and sent to jail. Maybe he won't be Maybe he's smarter than he was six months ago.
Speaker 3: All right, Alice, there's no use arguing. Quarter nine and you better get down to the office.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to the office.
Speaker 3: Why they fired me.
Speaker 4: Mister Maxwell said they were cutting down on the staff.
Speaker 3: That isn't true, is it they sutting down?
Speaker 4: No, they found out I was using my maiden name.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, darling so high.
Speaker 4: They did it very gracefully.
Speaker 3: They didn't even mention Stanley. Well, if you're not going downtown, I've got an appointment at the employment agency.
Speaker 4: I'll just use my right name.
Speaker 5: That's all.
Speaker 4: I haven't got.
Speaker 3: Anything to hide, all right, scare, I'll be home for lunch. You've got anything, there's planner, you come home? I will Alice, yes, come home early, will you?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: I will.
Speaker 3: Hello, operator, Will you get me the downtown office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Speaker 1: Back to the Bungler in just a moment. The actions of all American military men are governed by a code of conduct. To General William Dean while a prisoner of war in Korea, the code meant a stubborn allegiance to his president. During an early interrogation by his North Korean captors, General Dean was asked to make an open statement condemning what they called the aggressive policy of the United States dictated by the President, but General Dean refused, saying, as a professional soldier of the United States, I cannot criticize our president because the president is the supreme commander of the United States Army.
Speaker 3: I swore this when I joined the Army.
Speaker 1: That's what the code meant to General Dean, That's what it means to any American in uniform. And I'll act too, of the night story the Bungler. After Alice, Phillip's mother had told us about the phone call, we knew two things. Philip was in Bay City, and he was probably using the name Frederick Neilson. Having a third element to this the fact that Bay City had a large public boatyard, we began looking in this area. After several days, we came to a marine service station. The owner of the station recognized Phillip's picture immediately, Sure, that's Fratt Nelson. He worked here for three months. Then I had to let him go fiveasphorically, well, he had some sort of cover with his back. I don't know what it was, but it got so he couldn't even lift one of those five horse out boards, and we serve us a lot of outboards, and I, well, I just had let him go. Was he pretty good with the vote, Yes, sir, I'll say that much. He was good with the boats. As a matter of fact, he was kind of a nut about boats. Said he owned a Sterling speedcraft, but I didn't believe those sterlings cost over five thousand. Have the only idea where Milson is now? No, I can't say that I have. He hasn't been in touch with you since he left. No, and I guess he wouldn't be either. We had a kind of an argument when he left. He said I had the right to fire him, and I said, if he couldn't do a day's.
Speaker 4: Work, well you know how those things go.
Speaker 1: This back, he will be had, mister Wiggley.
Speaker 2: Do you know whether he saw doctor.
Speaker 3: No, I don't.
Speaker 1: I told him to see Doc Evans up there on Bayview Avenue, but I don't know that he did. Say, I don't suppose any of my business. But is he in some kind of trouble? We were coming to that. Yes, he's in trouble. He's wanted for embezzlements. He took money from a bank in Bridgetown. Embezzlement. Fred Milson, his right name is Stanley Phillips, embezzlement, A quiet little fellow like Fred. That's right. Well now, I certainly wouldn't have believed something like that. He didn't drink or runner around or anything. We know, mister Wrigley, we're going to give you a phone number to call if Phillips ever gets in touch with you again, Will you call this number immediately if you hear anything about him? Yes, I sure will. But fred Milson, you'd never think that a fellow like that was the type, would you.
Speaker 3: There is no.
Speaker 1: Particular type for that kind of crimes, Wriggly. It attracts all sorts of people. After our visit to the Marine Service Station, we saw a doctor Evans, who had treated Phillips for the back ailment. As we learned later, it was just at this time that Phillips came back to Bridgetown and stayed several hours, most of these hours in the Bridgetown Memorial Park, just across from his mother in law's house.
Speaker 2: Allis allis over here, will Allie. I've been waiting for hours. I thought it was going to miss you.
Speaker 4: Don't you know every policeman in town is looking for you.
Speaker 2: Sure, but nobody's ever in the park after six? Oh, Ellie, haven't want you?
Speaker 1: Shouldn't have.
Speaker 2: I've missed you something terrible, Allie? Could you Yes, Yes, I'm only gonna stay a couple of minutes.
Speaker 3: Oh, Ally.
Speaker 4: Henley, why did you do it? Crazy thing? No?
Speaker 2: I know first only took a little bit. I was gonna put it back, but.
Speaker 3: Something always came up.
Speaker 4: If you only had told me about the g.
Speaker 2: I know I'll never do anything right. Listen, Allie, you got any money now? Money to say what I called you.
Speaker 4: I had some men that I lost my job.
Speaker 2: I got to get me at least two hundred dollars away. Two hundred were borrowed somewhere.
Speaker 4: Without a job, I couldn't fall and get it from your mother.
Speaker 2: She has plenty more to give me some money until I get on my feet, Alley, I got something wrong with my bags. I don't know what it is, but I have to have electric treatments where it can't work. Now, if you can send it to this address it's a garage, then let me sleep an upstairs room. Allie, get me the money somewhow. I'll try go down on.
Speaker 3: You, Yally.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry things, I'm I'm sorry they turned out the way they did. Don't take all the money.
Speaker 5: Oh, two hundred dollars is a lot of money, Alley.
Speaker 4: I can't want to take this course.
Speaker 3: Ma. If I knew typing and could take dictation, I could get a job. He see, where would you take the course downtown.
Speaker 4: There's a school on the Market Street.
Speaker 3: Allie, you want the money for Stanley, don't you.
Speaker 4: Stanley, Well, where did you get a crazy idea like that?
Speaker 3: He called you again? Of course he didn't, and you know that he must have called you again. Ali, Please don't get mixed up with him. He'll only bring you more trouble.
Speaker 4: Are you going to give me the two hundreds?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not, because it's for him.
Speaker 4: Please, Ma, I've never asked you for anything like this before.
Speaker 3: No, Alim, he needs the money desperately.
Speaker 4: He's sick, he can't work. Please, I beg you.
Speaker 3: I can't do it, al Please, And if you tell me where he is, I'll have to turn him over to the police.
Speaker 2: How could you?
Speaker 4: How could you do a thing like that?
Speaker 3: This is Stanley has Oh stop it, Stop talking so full of marls.
Speaker 4: I'm married to Stanley. He's my husband. I promise to love him.
Speaker 3: I pro promise things to Alice. He had obligations to you.
Speaker 4: You will, can't some one make a mistake, one mistake.
Speaker 3: I won't argue with your kad Alice, and I won't give you any money, all right?
Speaker 4: If you won't, I can't make you. But I'm not going to live here. I don't have to stay here anymore else.
Speaker 3: Don't be foolish.
Speaker 4: I'll stay with Nancy or what are the girls who I get work? Don't do that. I can't stay with you feeling the way you do. You know why I do.
Speaker 3: I know you've got some misguided No, he's not misguided. He made you the wife of a criminal.
Speaker 4: He's done damage is the less a lifetime.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's only one mistake, But why.
Speaker 4: Should you get a bad name? I'm showing, Ma, and I'm not coming back.
Speaker 3: Please don't, Allie.
Speaker 2: Hasn't he caused us enough trouble.
Speaker 4: I'm going to get that money for him somehow. You can call the FBI like you did last time.
Speaker 3: And tell them that Allie, what He's not worth all this?
Speaker 2: Believe me?
Speaker 4: Maybe he isn't.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm not even now. He don't go.
Speaker 4: Stanley needs me, Ma, you don't. I have to do what I can for him.
Speaker 1: Hello, back to the Bungler in just a moment. Friends, This is Jimmy Wallington. You know many great men have attained the highest office in our land, the presidency of the United States. Can you guess the name of this man. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in eighteen fifty seven, the son of an eminent Juristic statesman. After graduating from Yale University, he served in various federal, state, and academic positions until nineteen one, when he became our first civil governor of the Philippine Island. In nineteen four, he entered President Theodore Roosevelt's cabinet as Secretary of War and served until nineteen eight, when he was nominated for and elected to the presidency.
Speaker 3: After his term in our highest.
Speaker 1: Office, he was a quite a Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, and served in that position until nineteen thirty. And you should have his name by now. But in case you don't, here's one more important clue. His son was an unsuccessful candidate for nomination by his party for the office of president. Yes, he was William Howard Taft, twenty seventh President of the United States. His life is part of your American heritage, and now act free of the right story. The butler several days after we had seen doctor Evans and were to have one more talk with Philip's wife. We had hoped that her gratitude might have changed since our last visit, so we were not prepared for the news. We heard from her mother, missus.
Speaker 3: Baker, and she hasn't even phoned, so I don't wish she is. I tried all her friends, but not a one of them heard from her.
Speaker 1: Do you think she knows where her husband is and may have gone to him.
Speaker 3: She couldn't have.
Speaker 4: She just couldn't have.
Speaker 1: But he did get in touch with her again and ask for money.
Speaker 2: Yes he did.
Speaker 3: That's what we had to fight about.
Speaker 1: Did he write to her?
Speaker 3: Did you see a letter? No, I didn't see a letter. I've been watching the mail every day.
Speaker 1: Do you think he might have been here in Bridgetown?
Speaker 3: I just don't know. I came home Monday afternoon and Allie was waiting for me. She'd been crying. I could see that, and then I was the blue. She asked me for two hundred dollars to take a secretarial course right away.
Speaker 1: It was for him, and there hadn't been any letter that day.
Speaker 3: No, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: So the chances are good that he came here and saw her.
Speaker 4: Yes, I did so.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I know I shouldn't say this for her sake, but I wish you'd find him I.
Speaker 4: Wish it was over.
Speaker 1: Did your daughter have any money, missus Baker?
Speaker 4: Just what was in her purse?
Speaker 1: Two dollars, so she couldn't have gone very far to meet him. If she did meet him, how could.
Speaker 3: She see he's no better than a common sneak thief? How could she want someone like that?
Speaker 2: He works out that way, missus Baker.
Speaker 1: Quite often.
Speaker 3: I just don't understand if he was half a man and they're half a crook, but he just he's just a bungler.
Speaker 2: Missus Baker.
Speaker 1: Do you have a recent picture of your daughter?
Speaker 3: I have a snapshot from the beach last year. I'll do. You don't really think she's gone to him, do you?
Speaker 1: I'm afraid I do, missus Baker. From all Juke told us, he looks like a familiar story. Your daughter feels that her husband needs her. That's a pretty hard pull for any woman to resist.
Speaker 3: And I dreamed you were all alone here and you were sick, and they came to get you, and then you called me, and you kept calling and calling, and I couldn't get to help you.
Speaker 2: I know, ally, but you shouldn't have come here.
Speaker 3: I'd had to Stanley.
Speaker 4: I'll go back now if you want, but.
Speaker 2: I had to say I do uncle back.
Speaker 4: I had to see if you were all right.
Speaker 2: Ally, I'll go to morrow on please.
Speaker 4: Yes, i'd better. I'll have to get some money for your stand sometime.
Speaker 2: I don't want you to go.
Speaker 4: But I've only got six dollars.
Speaker 2: How could I'll get the money, Alley, I will, I'll get it. Listen. Ally, if I get enough for us to go away from me, to sit in New York as some big city, I could go on the stash and die.
Speaker 4: My man well enough to go any place. Dan, you're back.
Speaker 2: Never mind that, Ali, we could be ginning all over again, a clean slate, no more mistakes.
Speaker 4: If you really want to start fresh, Stanley, I.
Speaker 2: Don't don't talk about that anymore, but it's your first defense.
Speaker 4: They wouldn't give you a long term and and i'd wait stand. I won't go to jail. I couldn't stand that.
Speaker 2: I guess you could walk, Alley. I'm gonna get that money, and then you're not gonna start all over again. Listen, it'll be great like a honeymoon, mister and missus, Fred Neilson. There are plenty of boat yards around New York. I can sorta make a set of references from here in Bay City. So not Allie, what are you crying about?
Speaker 4: I think that.
Speaker 5: Just cry.
Speaker 2: But you can stop crying. We're gonna start over again. I'm gonna get that money tomorrow. You'll wait and see.
Speaker 1: That's why I come to see you, mister Wrigley. I'll figure maybe you lend me the money.
Speaker 2: Why did you figure that, Fred, Well, after all, I hurt my backlift in the motor while I was on the job here.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the first time I heard of that.
Speaker 2: Well I did listen that big twenty five horse out of mister Clifford's boat. I figure you owe me compensation.
Speaker 1: How much compensation? Fred?
Speaker 2: One thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of money you got in the.
Speaker 2: Register right now. I don't know how much you take in on a big weekend like this.
Speaker 1: You expect me to hand I said to be alone, didn't I? And if I don't give it to you, you will, mister Wrigley, I'll have to have that money. Well, I'm sorry, Fred, I don't feel I owe you anything, but look, if you'll come back tomorrow morning, I want the money now. Now listen to be reason now, mister Wrigley. Put that gun down, Fred, That won't get you anywhere. Open the cash register, believe open it, mister Wrigley.
Speaker 2: We're gonna step back away from there. Step away from a cash register, mister Wrigley.
Speaker 1: Fred, you know something, Do what I say.
Speaker 3: You know I ought to.
Speaker 1: Have my glasses fixed. That's not a gun, Fred, That's just a three dollar cigarette lighter.
Speaker 2: I used to own one like that.
Speaker 1: Get away from there, a shue, Go ahead, go on, Fred, shoot nothing.
Speaker 3: But she got a correct in my back.
Speaker 1: I will, Freddy, because as soon as I call a couple of government men who were in here looking.
Speaker 4: For you, I was only joking. It was all a joos.
Speaker 2: I know it was. And you bungled it, Freddy, or excuse me, Stanley.
Speaker 1: That's your right name, isn't it.
Speaker 2: You bungled it Stanley all the way.
Speaker 1: Stanley Phillips offered no defense to the charge of embezzlement or to his attempt at a hold up. In view of this serious complication to the original theft from the bank, Phillips received the sentence of five to eight years in prison. His wife, Alice, said she'd wait for him, but we understand that now after three years, she may be changing her mind about the Bungler. In the Knight's trimescribe story, Rosemary Writes played the part of Alice Phillips and Barb Raddick with Stanley Phillips. This radio coomenization for the FBI in Piece of War was written by Louis Polletteers. These programs are produced and direct did by Berry Vandebilt. This is the United States Armed Forces Radio and television service.