Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI had KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, and.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 3: Good Monday morning.
Speaker 5: This is your wake up call for January twentieth. It's five o'clock. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Hope you had a great weekend. I got to have a little R and R. I did a little R and R yesterday and then here I finally took down Christmas yesterday, January nineteen.
Speaker 3: That might be a new record.
Speaker 5: I got the tree out when it turned into a Christmas stick a few weeks ago, but it didn't get all the actual Christmas stuff put away until yesterday.
Speaker 3: And isn't it cool?
Speaker 5: Like I love all the decorations that you put up, but it feels like the house is much cleaner once everything gets put away, not as much clutter. So nothing big going on today, nothing at all. Okay, I'm lying a little bit. So I was talking to our temporary boss, Chris Berry on yesterday, or we were texting back and forth. So inauguration day. We've got another round of Santa Ana winds, very bad ones. They were issuing another one of those potentially dangerous situation warnings. The Israeli sees fires on hostages have been released and more to come. We're going to talk to jer Donald Miller about that in about fifteen minutes and TikTok back up and running. So nothing at all. Okay, Well, let's get started. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. Southern California, as I just mentioned, is bracing for another dangerous wind event that could bring us as high as one hundred miles per hour. Forecasters have issued that particularly situation warning for much of La and Ventura Counties from noon until tomorrow morning for areas including the San Gabriel, Santa Clarita, and San Fernando Valley's in the Malibu Coast. Donald Trump's being sworn in as the forty seventh President of the United States at the US Capital Rotunda. His day starts with the church service at Saint John's in DC, and then President Biden welcomes Trump for tea at the White House. The inauguration is being held inside because of the brutally cold temperatures. He's expected to be sworn in at about eleven forty five Eastern time, which just hours left in office. President Biden has issued pardons for Anthony Fauci, General Millie, and the entire January sixth Committee, using his presidential power against what has been called potential revenge by the incoming president. Kfi's White House correspondent John Decker, by the way, is going to be giving us an inauguration day preview that's coming up at five fifty, and then we're going to check in with Karen Travers in just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 3: She's also in DC ahead of the inauguration.
Speaker 5: Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Extreme wind is expected to return to southern California. ABC's Alex Stone says the region is under yet another PDS red flag fire warning because of it.
Speaker 2: This wind event is beginning to look more and more severe, with peak wins hitting tonight into Tuesday and possibly close to the one hundred mile per hour incredible winds we dealt with close to two weeks ago that made the Palisades and Eaten fires explode.
Speaker 5: Southern California Edison has notified some customers that their power could be shut off again today to prevent fires. The particularly Dangerous Situation red flag warning is in effect for tomorrow morning in areas as I mentioned, including the San Gabriel, Santa Clarida, and San Fernando Valleys in Malibu Coast. News brought to you by Semper Solaris firefighter has been working to surround more of the fires in La County as the winds expect to pick up. The fire that started in Eaton Canyon above Alta Dinas now eight percent surrounded. Such great news. The one in Pacific Palisades is fifty six percent surrounded. More evacuation orders and warnings were lifted over the weekend, but some mandatory orders are still in place. Official state teams have completed damage inspections for ninety eight percent of the buildings within the Eton fire perimeter. Governor Newsom says he'll go after anyone caught trying to rip people off in the aftermath of the fires. He said during an iHeartRadio special California town hall yesterday, the price gouging that's been going on, especially with rents, is unconscionable.
Speaker 6: If they were advertising a rent before this tragedy, they cannot charge these absorbent and prices. They cannot.
Speaker 5: Newsom said it's illegal and anyone trying to take advantage of people who've lost their homes by bumping up remps rents will be held accountable. President elect Trump's as he plans to visit southern California this week who to see the damage caused by the wildfire.
Speaker 7: He shared the news Sunday during his rally at the Capitol One Arena in downtown Washington, DC ahead of today's in ong. The trip will likely be his first after returning to the White House for his second term.
Speaker 8: I also want to send our love to everyone affected by the terrible wildfires raging in California.
Speaker 4: We're praying for you all.
Speaker 8: We love you all.
Speaker 9: We're going to be there very soon.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go out there on Friday to see it.
Speaker 7: He also stated, we're bringing in some of the best builders in the world to assist and we'll get things moving back. Brigita Degasino, KAFI News.
Speaker 5: Let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers.
Speaker 2: Karen.
Speaker 5: President elect Trump says there are three themes for his inauguration.
Speaker 3: What are they?
Speaker 10: He says there, unity, strength, and fairness, and we're told that the overarching theme will be restoring confidence. He's expected today to call for a revolution of common sense, and according to excerps that senior advisors provided, he's going to say that he'll return to the presidency confident and optimistic, that we're at the start of a thrilling new era of national success, and he'll say a tide of change is sweeping the country. We expect that the President is going to take a lot of executive action today. Some he'll sign right at the Capitol after he's sworn in. Others he'll sign a Capital One Arena, which is a downtown basketball hockey arena in town where they've moved the parade from outside to inside. And then we expect him to do more executive orders later today here at the White House. So a very busy day of pomp and circumstance that starts in about a half an hour, and then the president elect, then presidents wants to get down to business.
Speaker 3: And you mentioned executive orders.
Speaker 5: What are some of the what are some of the ones that we're expecting to come out right out of the gate.
Speaker 10: He's told ABC that immigration would be a big focus, and his senior advisor, Stephen Miller, who had briefed a small group of Republican lawmakers over the weekend, said look for things like declaring a national emergency around the US Mexico border, designating Mexican drug cartels as foreign terrorist organizations. He also is expected to repeal executive action from the Biden administration on emission standards and electric vehicles, as well as restrictions and limits on offshore drilling on federal lands.
Speaker 5: Okay, And so as the day goes, he's got his schedule. I mean, I was looking at the schedule and it's like in some cases minute by minute.
Speaker 3: So once he takes the oath of office.
Speaker 5: Then he'll deliver his inaugural address, right, okay, and then it's off to the White House to start getting work done.
Speaker 10: No, he goes inside the Capitol for a bit and there's a luncheon that is held up there that's tradition every four years, and then he's going to head down to Capitol one Arena downtown where like I said, they moved the parade from outside to inside. It's still not clear exactly what that's going to look like but marching bands, all the things that would have been marching down Pennsylvania Avenue and performing for the President and First Lady would be inside. And then he'll get back to the White House probably late afternoon, and do some business in the Oval Office in the early evening before heading out to the ball tonight.
Speaker 5: Okay, and I know we've got you for about thirty more seconds, TikTok. He's signaling that he wants to push back the law that bans TikTok.
Speaker 3: So TikTok's back up and running.
Speaker 10: Now, yes, you know they started it back up again last night. I mean, but here's the thing, Like, it wasn't necessarily like something he could do through executive action today because it was a law that was passed by Congress and signed into law by the presidents. You can't just undo that with executive action. TikTok didn't necessarily have to shut down the way they did and then go back up and running the way they did. But that's how it played out.
Speaker 3: Over the weekend, and we'll see.
Speaker 5: I mean, is there going to be pushback because he, like you said, he legally can't do what he's trying to do.
Speaker 10: Right now, the law is in effect, and now it's a matter of whether the Trump administration enforces it, and that's what the big decision would.
Speaker 4: Have to be.
Speaker 5: All Right, ABC's Karen Travers have a wonderful inauguration day.
Speaker 10: Thanks, have a great day.
Speaker 5: Okay, Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Some people in California say they're worried about being deported with President Trump in office. California Attorney General Rob Bonta says he stands by immigrants.
Speaker 3: You can be sure that US California's attorney general.
Speaker 6: If Trump attacks the rights of our immigrants, I will be there. If Trump breaks the law, we will see him in court.
Speaker 5: The Wall Street Journal reports the incoming administration intends to kick off a large scale immigration raid tomorrow. It's expected to start in Chicago and then head to other big cities. A man's been arrested for allegedly raping a woman in Long Beach, and police say he may have attacked other women. Police say a woman was walking near an alley near Tenth Street and Pacific Avenue last Wednesday around one am when a man approached and attacked her and then took off. The man was arrested Saturday. In Wilmington, a pedestrian's been hit and killed on the one ten Freeway. HP says the person was in the express lanes near West Lawson Avenue yesterday around five point fifteen. It's not clear what actually it was Saturday around five to fifteen pm. It's not clear what the person was doing on the freeway. The Menendez brothers re sentencing hearing is being delayed because of the fires in La County. DA Nathan Hawkman announced that the hearing that was scheduled for January thirtieth and thirty first has been pushed back to March twentieth and twenty first. Lyle and Eric Menendez have been serving life sentences for the murder of their parents at their home in Beverly Hills in nineteen eighty nine. Last October, then District Attorney George Gascon recommended re sentencing for the brothers, who claimed they were sexually abused by their parents. All commercial poultry operations within a six mile radius in Georgia are in quarantine. ABC's Faith Abu Bay says the plants will have to undergo testing for the next couple of weeks because of a positive case of bird flu.
Speaker 11: Official stress that the virus has not made it into the food supply chain, but there are still urgent concerns for Georgia. This is the first confirmed bird flucase in a commercial operation.
Speaker 5: Officials a chicken will still be sold in stores in Georgia during the suspension of wholesale poultry sales. As we mentioned a little bit ago, Governor Newsom held a town hall. You may have heard it yesterday morning on CAFI. It was broadcast on almost sixty iHeart stations around California and I listened to it, and my takeaway from it was that I think he did a really good job, I think, which I'm not anxious to say, because I don't think overall this has all been handled great.
Speaker 3: But I think he gave.
Speaker 5: Some good answers, he made some promises, and I think it'll be really interesting to see if he keeps those promises, because you've got a lot of people who've lost everything, and a lot of people who are worried about what their near future and their more distant future looks like. As they were cover from the fires, and so they set it up so that he had questions presented to him and had conversations with people affected by the fires. Some of them had lost everything and they had some really great questions. One question was when can I go home? And Newsom said they are working really hard to try to get people back.
Speaker 6: I mean, we're moving, heaving and earth to get the damage assessment work done in the Palisades and then get the hazardous material material, which is phase one of the debris removal done within the next sixty days.
Speaker 3: He says, they're also putting up a lot of money to get things going.
Speaker 6: We are doing a two and a half billion dollar state supplemental to provide relief and flexibility to fill in the gap.
Speaker 3: And that's that's two and a half billion dollars. That's from the state.
Speaker 5: But overall, I think some of the estimates now are coming in at about two hundred and fifty billion dollars when all this said had none. One of the fire victims is she's been asked to take paid time off while her employer is closed because of the fires. Newsom says that doesn't sound right and says they're working to get money to the workers who are displaced.
Speaker 6: We've expanded paid support, and we actually just expanded in January, and this is important higher reimbursement for lower wage workers. That was a law that just went in effect in January. But that's something we're going to have to monitor. And I appreciate you bringing that up specifically as an example of how some businesses may not necessarily be protecting their employees as they should.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, the woman had said that she was getting unemployment now and that's three or four hundred dollars a week. I don't remember what the exact number was, but normally she makes about twelve hundred a week, so that is obviously a pretty large gap.
Speaker 3: Governor says they're working on that.
Speaker 5: Also, Newsom talked to a high school student who said how tough it was that he hasn't been class and they said that they're allowing students to transfer to other schools if they're affected by fires.
Speaker 6: Allowing flexibility so you can transfer to another district nearby district. And there were issues around class sizes and other technical state issues that we were able to wave through, and.
Speaker 5: All of La County gets a reprieve in filing their taxes. That April fifteenth deadline's been pushed back.
Speaker 6: Have pushed back all state taxes till October fifteenth.
Speaker 5: And also property taxes if you've been affected by the fires.
Speaker 6: We pushed back property taxes till April twenty twenty six, and people can apply for a four year deferral on interest and penalties related to property taxes.
Speaker 5: And one of the really interesting things that I believe he talked about was one of the people who lost their home in Altadena said, you know what, Altadena has this very cool vibe to it, you know, I mean, it's a lot of older, older homes, and it has this great fear to it, and they're really worried that as they rebuild, they're going to lose all of that, and that like green spaces are going to be taken away, and they're going to put like high density housing.
Speaker 3: In that area.
Speaker 5: And he says he's going to the people of Altadena are going to decide how they want to rebuild, and he's going to make sure that it's done how people want it, not necessarily how the state wants it. So it's going to be really interesting to watch as all this comes together. The Santa Clarita and San Fernando Valleys, along with the Malibu Coast mountains and valleys including Alta, Dina and Glendora, Orange and Riverside County all expecting strong Santa Ana wins with red flag warnings and effect from this morning through tomorrow, gus up to one hundred miles per hour possible in the mountains. TikTok says it'll restore service in the US after getting assurances from President elect Trump. The company said in a statement that Trump assured its leadership they would face no penalties for continuing to provide Americans access to the.
Speaker 3: App the first time.
Speaker 5: Hostages released by Hamas are being treated at a hospital in Tel Aviv. IDF officials say the three Israeli women appeared to be in good health. In fact, let's check in right now with ABC's Jordana Miller in Jerusalem.
Speaker 3: Giordana, it's a big day in Israel. It is a big day.
Speaker 8: It is a happy day, a joyous day, a moment that everyone's holding on to because, as you know, it's been an incredibly difficult fifteen months. Much of the country is still traumatized by what happened on October seventh. But here three young women released by Hamas in a rather quick handover. Within about thirty five minutes, they went from Hamas the Red Cross to the Israeli Army into Israeli custody, and shortly after drove out of the Gaza, stra saw their mothers at a base of doctors say that they are in stable condition. They were air they were flown by helicopter to a hospital outside of Tel Aviv, and there they were reunited with their siblings and their fathers and cousins and friends. And really, these three young women, I don't you know, the nation didn't really know. No one knew what their condition would be like. And they came out fighting from Gaza. They were defiant, they were buoyant, they seemed energized. And the doctors again say they're in stable condition. They're still running all kinds of tests, and I'm sure amy were going to hear kind of the darker details of their captivity in the coming weeks. That's what will come out over the length over the coming weeks. But right now everyone is just so relieved that they made it out. They're the first three of thirty three Israeli hostage. It's set to be released over the next six weeks. You know, on the Gaz inside and in the West Bank and East Rusalem. Israel released ninety Palestinians that were jailed here for various crimes and some held without without being tried. Yet they were released to the West Bank and East Jerusalem. Celebrations there in Gaza, of course, even amid really the ruins of Gaza after this war. People happy that they can walk freely and feel safe, which is something that you know, everyone takes for granted when you're when you're in a war zone like Gaza, you know you can be killed because you're next to a Hamas fighter and you don't even know it. So today a lot of feeling of relief and safety in the Gaza Strip and a lot of aid. Six hundred trucks made it into the Gaza Strip on Sunday, the first day of the seafire, and it's holding today on day two.
Speaker 5: Okay, I wanted to ask you about the aid, which is great news that that's finally getting in, because as we've talked over the last months, you know, there was you were telling us that maybe like one hundred would get in a day, which is not anywhere near what they needed. So do you hear six hundred in a day is good. But do they have trucks just like lined up at the borders waiting to go in or how how is that all going to play out?
Speaker 8: There are trucks lined up at the border, the Israelis are checking the trucks and then they're being waved in. The difference is now there's not active combat, you know, in parts of the Gaza strips, so they're able to the trucks are able to move without getting stopped. And the UN groups and Angios are there. They have a stronger presence on the streets again because there's not combat, and they're able to direct and distribute the aid. And Hamas which and other militant groups have been looting the aid, they appear to be you know, I would say that some of that has stopped because of course the world now is watching very closely what happens with the aid that's coming in. It will be critical to you know, feed people who've been facing hunger for this entire war. There were pockets of the Gossly Strip where you know, there was just almost impossible to deliver aid, and you know, there's the winter has set in. People need blankets and sleeping bags and coats and all of that will get in quicker now. So I think, you know, there's a sense of relief that for now, at least there is a pause in the fighting. And many around the world, and many will work, especially President Trump, I think, will work to see that this first phase of the Seasfire rolls into the second part of the Seasfire, where a negotiated end to the war, a negotiated full withdrawal of Israeli troops will happen. And really the most important thing amy is that a replacement for or Hamas will come in to govern the Gaza strip.
Speaker 3: That is key, all right, and.
Speaker 5: We'll be talking about that as we move along. But for right now, we have a ceasefire, we have the first hostages released in eight is getting in.
Speaker 3: So that's all good news. Jordana Miller, thank you so.
Speaker 12: Much, great news.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you.
Speaker 5: Tucson talkson President elect Trump is about to be sworn into his second term in office. He told supporters at a rally in Washington last night that he was getting ready to take more than two hundred executive actions on his first days back.
Speaker 6: I will act with historic speed and strength and fix every single crisis facing our country.
Speaker 10: We have to do it.
Speaker 5: Trump says immigration is first on his list. He's expected to declare a national emergency on the US Mexico border, order troops to build more infrastructure along the border, and relaunch his Remain in Mexico policy for people trying to enter the US. Cal State Domingius Hill's political science professor Chris hollinbrook tells KFI, while Sacramento has been combative toward Trump, there is a chance relationship could be more cordial this time around, a.
Speaker 12: Little more accepting of Okay, he's the president for the next four years and this is just how it's going to be. So things might be a little more mellow between the state and DC this time now.
Speaker 5: Alan Brooks says while Trump's style probably won't be much different, his substance might be. A forty year tradition in La has been postponed.
Speaker 9: The Kingdom Day Parade, which was scheduled for today, is a celebration of the dream and legacy of doctor Martin Luther King Junior. However, the event got pushed back about a month because of the wildfires in the La County area. Rescheduling for the event is set for February seventeenth, which is also President's Day and right in the middle of Black History Month. The parade will march down on MLK and Crenshaw Boulevards and be broadcast on live television. The theme this year is peace and Unity. Let it start with us, Andrew Caravella KFI News when we come back.
Speaker 5: This is the forty seventh time the US has sworn in a president. Happening in four hours, four and a half hours from now. We're going to take a look back at some of the other inaugurations and there's some I'll call them fun facts.
Speaker 3: And was like, fun facts? Is it fun?
Speaker 5: And I said, yeah, inaugurations are fun, okay. La Ventura, Orange Riverside counties all under red flag warnings from this morning through tomorrow. Forecasters have warned of particularly dangerous situation wins, especially in the mountains and valleys. Officials are urging residents to review evacuation plans and make sure emergency kits are stocked with needed items should they have to evacuate.
Speaker 3: I just put my go bag away.
Speaker 5: I guess I'm going to get it out again because they are saying that these winds are going to be really really bad. Two more people have been arrested for allegedly impersonating firefighters in the Palisades Fire Zone. Laped officers patrolling the area say they saw a truck that did not appear to be legitimate. A man and woman in the truck were wearing cal fire gear and claimed to be from the Roaring River Fire Department in Oregon. I'm from Oregon. There is no Roaring River Fire Department.
Speaker 2: I saw the story.
Speaker 3: They actually bought an entire fire truck. Yeah, they got it at an auction or something. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The Rams have been eliminated from the NFL playoffs after losing to the Philadelphia Eagles twenty eight to twenty two yesterday. Philly will host the NFC East rival Commanders in the Conference Championship Game next Sunday for a spot in Super Bowl fifty nine. At six poh five, it's handle on the news.
Speaker 3: Pardon me.
Speaker 5: President Biden's parting shot before Trump takes office. Later today, if I point fifty, We're going to check in with kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. He's in DC to get a little inauguration preview. The festivities have already begun. Actually, Trump's about to leave the Blairhouse to head to a church service. So taking a look back at inaugurations, because this is the only forty seventh time in our country's history that we've done it. Here's the here's the oath. I do solemnly swear or a firm that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will, to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's the Oah. It's like twenty four words.
Speaker 5: Okay, so we know that they moved stuff inside because it's so freaking cold. I think it was like a forecast time of about twenty degrees and then you add in windchill and well downright frigid. So they're going to be in the capital rotunda today. So we took a look back at weather and Ronald Reagan's inaugurations hold the record for both the hottest and the coldest inaugurations. So the first time he was inaugurated on January twentieth, nineteen eighty one, that was the warmest inauguration day. It was fifty five degrees. Doesn't seem very warm, but for Washington, d c. In January not bad. His second inauguration January twenty first, nineteen eighty five, was the coldest on record.
Speaker 3: It was seven degrees and he went indoors right, and he went indoors right.
Speaker 5: So this inauguration is the first time in like forty years that they've gone indoors. Well, seven degrees. I understand it's going to be twenty They could have been outside. It'll be interesting to see how many people actually turn out for in the rotunda. And as I mentioned, when I started reading the oath, they either say I do solemnly swear or affirm. Well, that happened because Franklin Pierce was inaugurated in eighteen fifty three and he was the only president he said affirm rather than swear to become the office of president, to become the president. But apparently they said, well that's close enough, so they wrote it in so the president can say either one that he wants.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: Most of the presidents are sworn in by the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Supreme Court, which is going to happen today. Roberts is going to be swearing him in and who's jd Vance is being sworn in by Kavanaugh, I believe.
Speaker 3: Okay, So.
Speaker 5: Most of the time it's by the Chief Justice, but there are a couple of exceptions. When Warren Harding died in office, Calvin Coolidge was at his family's home in Vermont, and they didn't have any electricity, they didn't have a phone, so he got word of Harding's death by a courier, and in the early morning hours of August third, nineteen twenty three, Coolidge was sworn in by his father, who was a notary public. The ceremony conducted by Kerosene Lamp. The new president reportedly went to bed afterwards, okay.
Speaker 3: And then the first woman.
Speaker 5: To sign to swear in a president happened after the assassination of President Kennedy.
Speaker 3: Lyndon B.
Speaker 5: Johnson took the oath of office on board Air Force one on November twenty second, nineteen sixty three. Sarah Hughes administered the oh She became the first woman to inaugurate a president. And did you know that presidents used to wear top hats, and that wasn't only in the eighteen hundreds, but they stopped that because let's say John F. Kennedy was the last president to wear a top hat during his inauguration in nineteen sixty one. So it started back at least in eighteen eighty one, and they did it for every inauguration until then. And then Lyndon Johnson came up and he said, yeah, not so much. And in nineteen sixty five he did not wear a top hat, and the tradition was tossed aside.
Speaker 3: Okay, just a couple more.
Speaker 5: Andrew Johnson was inaugurated as a vice president in eighteen sixty five, and he was totally drunk. He'd had typhoid fever and apparently drank whiskey to try to try to numb the pain.
Speaker 3: Except he drank a little too much and he ended up slurring through his oath. It's too bad. Those aren't good old days. But it's too bad we don't have a video of that. Right.
Speaker 5: On March fourth, eighteen seventy three, Ulysses S. Grant's second inauguration was so cold the food and the champagne froze, and so did hundreds of caged canaries that.
Speaker 3: Were brought in for the reception. Wow, lots of dead birds. Okay.
Speaker 5: John Quincy Adams didn't take his oath on a bible. He used a law book instead that had the Constitution in it. That's your option. And here's one more fun one. Jelly bellies. So remember when Ronald Reagan was the governor. He when he was governor of California, he got into jelly bellies and it was to help him because he's quit smoking. So in nineteen eighty one, three tons of red, white, and blue jelly bellies were used in Reagan's inauguration and the blueberry jelly belly, the blue one was created specifically for Reagan's inauguration. They didn't have a blue one that blue before them.
Speaker 3: You're just some fun thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news and newsroom. President Biden has issued some last minute pardons. They include doctor Anthony Fauci, retired General Mark Milly, and members of Congress's January sixth Committee. The pardons are meant to guard against potential revenge by the incoming Trump administration. Governor Newsom says he's working with the Employment Development Department to get extra money into areas around La affected by the fires. He spoke yesterday with people affected by the fires during a town hall meeting hosted by iHeartRadio. This woman, Julia, says she lost her job because of the fires and is now having a tough time.
Speaker 8: Unemployment is only paying me two hundred dollars a week, whereas at the restaurant I worked, I made twelve hundred.
Speaker 2: Dollars a week.
Speaker 5: Newsom says it's going to take some time to get things going again. A footwear company that has made shoes for every US president since eighteen fifty is displaying some of its fancy footwork in downtown d C. The Johnston and Murphy Presidential Footwear Exhibit features fifteen pairs of shoes made for presidents like Abraham Link, Theodore Roosevelt, and John F.
Speaker 3: Kennedy.
Speaker 5: Shoes created for Barack Obama, Donald Trump, and Joe Biden are also part of the exhibit, which is open daily at the Mayflower Hotel until January twenty ninth. Red flag parking restrictions will go into effect in the cities of La and Pasadena to make sure narrow or winding roads are clear in case firefighters need to access the area. Red flag warnings are in effect for much of La and Ventura Counties and the inland Empire starting later this morning continuing into tomorrow. Governor Newsom says his administration is going after price gougers taking advantage of residents affected by the wildfires. In a town hall hosted by iHeartMedia yesterday, Newsom asked Angelinos to notify authorities if landlords try to charge high rents in the aftermath, he says he wants names and will go after them Outgoing Vice President Kamala Harris and Second Gentleman Doug m Hoff are expected to return to California and their home in Brentwood after today's inauguration. M Hoff is expected to resume his legal career. Harris hasn't committed to it, but there are rumblings she could run for governor of California in twenty twenty six. We're just minutes away from a handle on the news this morning. TikTok is back online, even though technically now it's banned in the US. Let's say good morning now to kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. John, we're about what three and a half hours from the swearing in of President electro.
Speaker 4: That's right, and indoors this year because of the bitterly cold temperatures here in the nation's capital. So the swearing in President Trump's inaugural address all taking place inside the Capital Rotunda as opposed to being outside. And I'm thankful of that because it feels like it's in the single digits here today in Washington.
Speaker 5: Okay, So tell us, aside from the super cold, tell us what it's like in DC. Are there's still people out like lining up outside or you know, gathering outside the rotunda and are there big screens or how are they going to handle that?
Speaker 3: So there's just nobody.
Speaker 4: There, no you know, I think that all of those individuals who travel to Washington, DC hoping to watch the swearing in in person or having to make alternative arrangements, there will be an opportunity for about twenty thousand of Donald Trump supporters to watch the swearing in from the Capital one arena. They'll do a live view in terms of what's happening at the Capitol. But that's just twenty thousand, and you know, you're talking about perhaps two hundred thousand people at the very least that travel here for the president's inauguration. I don't know where the vast majority of those people are going to be watching the swearing in. It's in their hotel is likely going to be indoors because traffic because security is just so tight around the Capital complex right now, and that will be the case throughout the day.
Speaker 5: Okay, so even if they wanted to go and just gather are outside, they can't.
Speaker 4: No, that's right. The security as such that they can't get pretty much anywhere near the Capitol. I'm directly across the street from the Capitol. I'm in the ray Burn House office building, which has a direct view of the Capitol. But just to even get to where I am, you need a special type of credential, and that is unfortunate again for those people who are really looking forward to being here for the swearing in of Donald Trump. You know that they those same people in many cases came here eight years ago to see Donald Trump being sworn in as the forty fifth president, and they won't get that same type of opportunity today because of these could temperatures.
Speaker 3: Okay, so the kind of walk us through it, because we know that.
Speaker 5: Infact, I'm looking at pictures of Washington, DC, and it's absolutely stunningly beautiful there today. So just cold, but otherwise the sun is out and it's just frigid.
Speaker 3: So what is he up to? He's running around town.
Speaker 5: He's about to go over to the White House to have tea with the president or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's right. So this morning was a church service that Donald Trump and the future First Lady Malania Trump attended right across the street from the White House, Saint John's Church. Then there will be a tea at the White House that will be attended by Donald Trump and Joe Biden and also the First Lady. I'm sorry, well, the First Lady will be there as well as will Vice President Kamala Harris. Around ten thirty Eastern time today, so a little less than two hours from now is when they'll make their way over to the capital, which is a short distance when you're in a motorcade and when all the streets are shut down. That that will be for the beginning part of all of the ceremonies surrounding the swearing in of Donald Trump followed by his inaugural address.
Speaker 5: Okay, he do we have any idea how long he's going to talk, because we know how he likes to talk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, you know, it might be a forty five minutes in terms of a prepared text, but as you know, he does like to go off the teleprompter, so it could be a little bit longer. And of course he doesn't have to worry about the cold temperature, so he can go on as long as he wants. On hand for the president's inaugural address will be every former living president from Bill Clinton all the way up until Barack Obama and Joe Biden. Also on hand for the swearing in will be Donald Trump's very first vice president, Mike Pence. He'll see his former boss Donald Trump being sworn and that's got to be pretty interesting for him.
Speaker 3: Pretty monumental day when you think about it.
Speaker 5: I mean, like this whole peaceful transfer of power and how it dates back to when we became a country, and it's a pretty amazing tradition that we do.
Speaker 4: It is you know, I look forward to it every four years, you know, especially when it's a new administration because of all the newness associated with it. This is my eighth presidential inauguration. It never gets sold. I'm disappointed, you know that the weather didn't cooperate today. The last time that we've had an indoor inauguration was forty years ago, nineteen eighty five, for Ronald Reagan's second inauguration.
Speaker 5: John Decker in DC kfi's white House correspondent, buckle up. I think it's going to be a wild ride, and we'll be talking to you a lot in the coming days, weeks, in next few years.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much, Amy, really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Take care.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 5: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. More phony firefighters have been busted in LA. They were in an old fire truck Saturday in the Palisades fire Area.
Speaker 2: Thirty one year old Dustin Neil and forty four year old Jennifer Neil claimed to be from the Roaring River Fire Department and Oregon. Some research showed that fire department does not exist and that the fire truck was bought at auction.
Speaker 5: ABC's Alex Stone says the pair was wearing CalFire shirts. They also helmets and radios. They were arrested for impersonating firefighters. Officials say the man has a criminal history in Oregon. For Arson News brought to you by American Vision Windows. This Mlkday is also Big Sunday's annual clothing drive and community breakfast day. The priority of this year's event is people affected by the wildfires in the LA area. Big Sunday founder and executive director David Levinson tells KFI they've been helping people like one woman whose house burned down.
Speaker 12: The one feature is looking for we're new pajamas for her little girl. Have only started a whole pajama drive now for little kids because your pajamas are important when you're four years.
Speaker 8: Old, he says.
Speaker 5: Anyone can register to help by going to their website Big Sunday dot org and speaking of helping with the help of your donations, the Dream Center and iHeartMedia Los Angeles I've been working together to help victims affected by the fires across LA County. Your donations are already being used to deliver air purifiers, electronics, pet food supplies, and more or two areas in the community. You can help now donate at KFI AM six forty dot com, slash donate and also Dream Center LA is going to be taking donations again today starting at nine am nine am to seven pm all day all week. Actually so it's in Echo Park. It's at twenty three oh one Bellevue it's a Los Angeles address, but it's in Echo Park and if you can donate, they sure need your donations at I was out there on Saturday and it was amazing the lines of cars like a half mile long of people who've lost everything, and Dream Center LA is there to help. So again, it's twenty three oh one Bellevue. They're taking donations today from nine am to seven pm. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland Weather from KFI, another round of dangerous Santa Ana wins will blow through with gus forty five to fifty five miles per hour for the Malibu coastal air and valleys. Eighty to one hundred miles per hour gusts are possible in the mountains. Low clouds clearing to sunny skies. Highs in the mid sixties at the beaches, mid to upper sixties for Metro LA Inland, Orange County. The valley's in i e fifties in the Annealoupe Valley, overnight loads in the thirties and forties. Then tomorrow high spout the same as today, and then we'll warm into the seventies Wednesday and Thursday It's fifty three in Anaheim, fifty four Redondo Beach, forty six in Woodland Hills, and fifty three in Inglewood. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, of course, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.