Speaker 1: Hello everyone. This week on GameSpot After Dark, we're joined by Will aka the Black Owning to talk about playing Metal Gear Solid in twenty twenty one CD Project Red being Held at Ransom, and TAM's adventures in Hollow Night Continue Enjoy.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to episode eighty of GameSpot After Dark. I'm your host Jake Decker, and joining me this week is Lucy James.
Speaker 1: Hello to more.
Speaker 2: Hussein Hello, and Will aka the Black One Hello.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 2: We're happy to have you here, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me. I'm really excited. The early banter that we had was already.
Speaker 5: Fun and technical issues.
Speaker 2: Technical issues. Yeah, I feel like every week we I'm doing some different setup that makes everything really difficult for everyone. But you know, that's how it is. Sometimes you've got to refine the workflow exactly.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I wrote a whole doc about it too, and it was very good, a six page document on how to produce and edit this podcast. I thought about sharing it with the Discord server because it might help people, but then I started to read through it and I was like, so much of this stuff is really specific that I don't know if it would be any help. But anyway, Will, where are you calling from? Out of curiosity?
Speaker 3: I'm calling from San Jose, California.
Speaker 2: Okay, close by then I'm Berkeley right now, Blue season, San Francisco to moors in Oakland.
Speaker 3: It's an all.
Speaker 2: Bay area right here. Yeah, same time, Not that it matters in twenty twenty one when everyone's in a zoom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who comes on wives?
Speaker 4: Maybe because I'm not trying to eat dinner well on the podcast.
Speaker 3: So that's nice, that's good. True.
Speaker 2: So normally we start off this podcast with what we've been playing, but we have a guest today, so we are going to start with the Chris from Dayton, Ohio segment.
Speaker 1: Awesome, you did the pause? Does that pause because you want us to do the song? Are we using?
Speaker 2: I was waiting for you guys to do this the song, but I will cut it anyway and use the Discord song. So that was a little unfair of me to just fine.
Speaker 1: I just want Will to know that we're gonna ambush.
Speaker 3: Him with beautiful song serenade me.
Speaker 1: So hang on, so throw it again again, and now.
Speaker 2: It's time for the Chris from Dayton, Ohio segment. On time right, Chris, Will, So the Chris from Daton, Ohio segment. I kind of explained it a little bit before we recorded, But the story behind it is that someone wrote into the podcast after like we had done like two or three episodes, and the question was, Hey, I'm enjoying the podcast, but I don't know who the hell you guys are, so tell me about yourself. And the question basically was like, what games are you playing? What games do you what games do you come back to often? What do you do? How did you get into streaming or whatever whatever it is you might be doing. Obviously, the writer was Chris from Dayton, Ohio. I don't think he's written in again, since I don't even know if he listens. I've called him out multiple times in this show, but I haven't gotten a response.
Speaker 5: So Chris, Chris from Ohio, if you're listening, let us know.
Speaker 3: This will be the episode the Oh my god, you're talking about me?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 5: You know what's his name in Red Dead? That guy walking around looking for his mate? Has anyone seen my friend Gavin? Has anyone seen Chris from day in Ohio?
Speaker 3: You would put out a SOS out here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So the question is basically an easy one, define yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know, I already have written out, you know, I have the perfect answer.
Speaker 3: That's a lie.
Speaker 4: So a little bit about myself, Okay, In terms of games that I really like to play, I like action RPGs on a fundamental level. That's kind of what I gravitate towards the most. But I think there are a lot of really awesome games beyond that that I also like to share those experiences with others about. So that would be fighting games and shooters typically, but I love adventure games, I love some like traditional RPGs. Sometimes I even throw in puzzle games. You know, there's a really good example. I can think of Battle Chef, which was like an action puzzle game, which was.
Speaker 5: A game that was Chef Forrigade.
Speaker 4: Yes, phenomenal game, and it really just married the what I love so much about indie games, which is experimenting with things that you know, the Triple A's kind of pick up on later on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, anyway, aside from that, my favorite game of all time is Middle Gear Solid and yeah, yeah, it is an absolutely mind blowingly like amazing series and I am heartbroken at all the stuff that happened with Kojima productions. Kojima himself and Konami and all that kind of goes along with but even down to like when I first experienced playing Middle Gear Solid for the first time, going through that experience with my older brother, it changed me. It transformed me into someone who just kind of thought about video games as kind of this I don't know, I don't want to say toy, but just like meant to be. It's very video gamey feel to things. Everything always felt like, Okay, now here's this boss battle, and here's this event, and here's this thing. Like it was like a very basic structure to a lot of the games that came before that, and that game kind of just twisted the idea of what games could and should be in a lot of cases, and it just kind of transformed the way I thought about games, but also about how I can grow into making stuff like that.
Speaker 5: There's like video games for a lot of people felt like an extension of the Arcade, right, Like, yes, everything they embodied for a really long time, even stuff like Super Mario Brothers, even Super Mario World, all those kind of games they were they felt like an extension of Arcade. Coin up. And then there's for certain people they have these games that feel like, oh, this is not an extension of okay, this is an extension of cinema and TV, and Metal Gear is one of those. I had the exact same experience. That's the game that did it for me as well. Yeah, yeah, I've got I've got two questions for you. When was firstly context this one? When was the last time you played Meta Solid?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man, m I would say it's been like three years.
Speaker 5: Okay, how how many hours do you think it takes to beat Metal Gear Solid based on your memory?
Speaker 3: Like the first one?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the first one? How long do you remember playing that game for till you finished it?
Speaker 4: You know, that's such a great question. I've never tried to speed run the question. The games so context there. I've only ever played that game with just the idea of like exploring, experiencing, experiencing.
Speaker 5: Put an hour number on it that you think it would was.
Speaker 3: I would probably say like six hours.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can finish that game in five hours.
Speaker 3: It's wild.
Speaker 5: I did it on a stream and I was like, I'm going to settle in. I started streaming. I was like, I'm gonna make a Metal Gets my first like marathon stream where I played loads of it. I finished it one saying and I was like, I forgot how short this game was. People go on about how long the cut scenes on and I was like, oh, this is done one one one stream.
Speaker 2: Secondly, is I have no excuse to play It's even on God too.
Speaker 3: That's why it Yeah, that's why.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about it and obviously being friends with the term. For so long, I've never played Metal Gets Solid and it is the huge It's my biggest shame. And so this year, in the year of not replaying stuff, is this my year that I go through and finally play every Metal Gets Solid.
Speaker 5: Oh Lucy, don't promise me thinks you can. Don't make promises you can't get.
Speaker 4: I would love to see and hear everything about that. I love introducing people to metal Gear because it's always you hear about it for so long you're like, all right, I want to know what that experience is is like for people who haven't played, who have heard about it for how long?
Speaker 3: Has it been? Almost so long?
Speaker 1: Like so okay, then this is my promise to you that by the next time I'm on the podcast, I do have a four day weekend this week, I will finish five of them. I will play the first one.
Speaker 5: The first one. Yeah, it's on good old games. If you want to play it. You can plug in a PC. You can plug in an Xbox controller, play secial controller. It's a little finicky, but it works your first time through. It might not be five hours. It'll probably be a little longer. Yeah. Yeah, but if you want, if you get annoyed with a certain situation, just tell me and I can help you for it easily. The first game is like you'll be like, oh, I see what this is going for and I can see where it is. The second game where when you play it, you're going to be like, excuse me, what is happening that a bit? That's that's the bit where you're gonna be like, you're telling me this was written in two thousand. Why does it? Why does every part of it make sense and is true right now to our lives? Yeah? How does how did they write? How did they write a script for twenty twenty?
Speaker 1: Like how Kajima wrote Death Stranding before? Yeah, twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: Everything that happens in Metal Gifts only two is like this is this isn't this is this is not cool?
Speaker 3: How how like pressure it is, this is real. It's like it's.
Speaker 5: Real, and it's like it's about things like corrupt presidents and memes and information, and it's about surveillance and it's about like social media being used to like cancel people and subvert society and it's like control them.
Speaker 3: And I was like, hey, I functioning on its own.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's just like excuse why excuse me? And then the third one is just like incredible.
Speaker 2: The third one is one of my favorite games of all time. And I haven't played one or two, but I've played all the other ones.
Speaker 5: The fourth one, the fourth one will teach you how to make the perfect sunny side up X.
Speaker 2: I will never forget that.
Speaker 5: And the fifth one is the best game I ever created.
Speaker 2: You and me?
Speaker 5: Are we are the same?
Speaker 3: One? Mind?
Speaker 5: How well? How do you feel about the rumor that Bluepoint is doing a remake.
Speaker 3: Of Ship Myself? Are you kidding me? All right?
Speaker 4: So one of the I've context I also run a podcast. I put a little bit of a high hiatus on it because this month has already been really crazy. Uh so we're going to pick it back up on March. On one of those episodes, I gave a pitch about what I would want the next meddal Gear Solid game to be, and in that pitch, I said, there was a game.
Speaker 3: By the name of The Division, I know many of you know about.
Speaker 4: It that had an idea to incorporate an app with it that would allow you to play with your friends without having to play the game. And I thought to myself, what if there was a way to incorporate that same thing into a metal Gear Solid game. But to take what they did with metal Gear Salid five, which was you know, a little bit of peace Walker and then like the new generation of stealth again, phenomenal stealth mechanics, Like holy shit, if you could bring that same idea of even making missions using your app or providing assistance recon assistance for teammates, and it's a cooperative experience, so everyone you pick up on a field, you can then bring them into the game and use them.
Speaker 3: In a four player cooperative thing.
Speaker 4: I feel like they try to do that with metal Gear Salad five, but they just ran out of time or budget or whatever.
Speaker 1: Am I imagining it? Or was there some thing they were trying to do with Silent Hills where they were trying to get phone connected and like there was your phone would ring or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So there was after after this is fairly recently that it was revealed, so it wasn't integrated into There was a I think it was like a patent or something like that, but there was documents where you would submit your certain information, like I think it was your phone number on your Twitter, and it would effectively incorporate that into the game. So you would get terrorized by someone phoning you. And the problem was like it it could have the potential to ruin lives, ye, like, and that could be an issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like the time hit Man did that really terrible Facebook integration where you could put a target on someone Facebook friends with assassinate them over Facebook, and it was like, oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I I My dream for one is for Bluepoint to do that game. My dream is for like Sony to purchase Bluepoint, then go to Konami and be like, here's some money, we own all your ship now and then and then like and then Bluepoint becomes the new Konomy and they get they get Metal Gear, they get Castlevania, they get a bunch of other franchise. One of the enders just let them or even it's like we we will we won't buy these franchises from you. We will license all these franchises and that's it. And I feel like Sony in a year where where they where they have a brand new console, or in a generation where they have a band new console and their whole thing is exclusive that no one else can get. I think they I think they have had to have gone to Konami with a big bag and been like, we'll take Metal Gear you. All you have to do is take this money, give us sign these contracts, will take care of the rest of it. They go to Blue Point and tell them this is your job.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: They bring in Kajima and go Kajima every two weeks, pop in to a zoom call. Just you just let them know, just tell us if we're doing anything stupid there or like any changes you want, and the rest of it is done and then executive produced by Hideo Kajima. I'll get solid done again.
Speaker 3: I am so here for that.
Speaker 5: And then they make the Frankiegger game after that, which is like, yes, yes, that's what we need.
Speaker 3: I want.
Speaker 4: I want to see the original Metal Gears as well, make the transition into this new generation, so like I would I know what happened, but I never actually played Meddle Gear one and two but not not not seriously, So if we could see that, oh my god.
Speaker 5: Dude, me sorry everyone, it's.
Speaker 1: Okay, Hey, it's not Yes, this is.
Speaker 3: What we normally do.
Speaker 5: Metal Gear one in the five engine would be incredible because like the whole thing with that ending connecting directly to metal Gear fives ending connecting directly to metal Gear one is like how that would have been. You have to believe that it would have been the next thing they did, like the next thing and just didn't happen. We got we got Death Rounding instead, which is a great game.
Speaker 2: But still, you know, yeah, you know what I'm gonna get off on a tange here. But you know what they should have had in death training. They should have had podcasts that you can listen to in game and death training like you could and metal Gear Solid four.
Speaker 5: Yes, ironically that would have been pretty cool. Metal Guest Solid four having podcasts was amazing. There was a just just like.
Speaker 2: Sitting like a blown out in a blown out house while enemies are crawling you just be there listening to like comment whatever it was.
Speaker 5: It was, it was Lucy, it was Ken was on it, uh and uh on the Metal Guest Solid podcast. No, there was a series of Kajima Productions podcasts with Ken, Kenny Trey, and Mazumi who who we know? And I think there were a couple of other developers from the studio as well. And I think Mark McDonald from previously eight to four, I don't know think I think he's still at you four. I can't remember where he's at, but like you know, uh, they one of them was on it as well, and like it was always people playing Monster Hunter and talking up out developing games. Ryan Payton was on it as well, because Ryan Payton who who now is that camouflage working on the Iron Man game or whatever they're doing now. But he before he was at Microsoft working at Halo, he was at Konami Kajuma Productions. He's the one credited for changing Circle an x on in Metal Gear Games to front cancel to you know thing, because he was like, stop this. Everyone in the West is confused by this change it and we were, we were, But yeah, they should have had podcasts in there. They should bring that back.
Speaker 3: That'd be sick anyway.
Speaker 2: Else you're like, yeah, we should probably move on, but before I do that, I do want to know how you got into streaming and what kind of other stuff you do and how you got into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sure, So I started streaming through a charity event with one of my really good friends. You may have heard of him, Andy Lunique. Yeah, so on Twitter with the food and all that, and I actually had an opportunity to do a little product with him recently for.
Speaker 1: Andy's food tweets. Yeah, combined with Yusuf's tweets for me. Soft of them just make incredible food and post about you all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I go on Twitter expecting to feel sad, but instead I just come away feeling hungry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which then makes you sad, which kind of puts you into the whole cycle.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, it happens.
Speaker 4: I have the opportunity and fortunate of having his food many times. So yeah, he knows what he's doing.
Speaker 5: I call that like, I call that loop the diabetes infinite where he just gets sad but you're trapped in this like Marvel versus Capcom style infinite, Like I can't get out.
Speaker 4: Of this, well just because I'll put the controller down. But it was through that event that I really Before then, I had been making YouTube videos, but it was just kind of there was no real super strategy around it. It was just more like, Hey, here are the things that I'm doing. I love talking about games and review doing them and blah blah blah. And so at the time, he wasn't working in games yet, but he had just gotten a job at Sandbox Strategies. He was like, Yo, I would love for you to come by and really see you know what streaming is all about, because I've been trying to tell you for a while, like you'd be really great for streaming. And we did that event. It was a twenty four hour event for Extra Life. We raised a bunch of money and it was just like this really beautiful community event that we were using our love and nerdom for gaming to help people, helped kids specifically, And it was kind of around that time when I was just like, all right, I get it. I want to do this more. And I just started. I got my PS four, you know, I had my camera. I just went live one day and it just kind of spiraled into the situation where I started meeting people within the industry but also you know, other streamers as well, and I already had the connections I made through making YouTube content and going to events and as press, but as a small press obviously, and that was kind of how everything started. And then from there on, Like at this point, I don't even feel like I would want to stop streaming at any point because it's become such a beautiful community thing of sharing what I love with other people and also having them share what they love with me, and being ingrained in that whole thing.
Speaker 3: It's just been really awesome.
Speaker 4: So that's kind of the barebones version of how I got started as a streamer. And then there were two other people who were really really influential and kind of helping me understand the difference between just streaming for fun and then like really structuring what I'm doing and really looking at the overall Twitch, YouTube, Facebook, whatever it is, looking at that whole thing holistically. And it was a DJ Knight and he went by DJ tech Live before, but he's Technique now. The two of them we're all really close still to this day. And this happened like what five or six years ago, and they they really helped me understand what could be possible with the medium and beyond that I don't know if I even mentioned it now. I mentioned it before we started recording. But I'm an artist too, so I'm a graphic designer and illustrator. So I have an opportunity to then take my experiences as an artist and apply that to live streams and discussions within gaming as well. Where I can take you know, I can pick out individual things about games that I'm playing and say, this is a really big deal because they're using dramatic lighting here to really let you feel what's happening, and this last of us, you know, to moment like if the lighting was any different, the whole mood would have been different. So we have conversations like that within the game streams as well as the discussions, and that really allows me to just have a unique perspective about the games that I play on stream.
Speaker 1: That's really cool.
Speaker 2: Did you ever do like, do you ever stream your art, like your art process when you do that kind of stuff? Because I find those streams very relaxing.
Speaker 4: I guess yeah, yeah, I have done them a bunch of times. This is going to be a shot at Apple, I'm gonna say it anyway. They make really great hardware, they make software that works for the very specific things you want to do with them, but when it comes to streaming from them, it.
Speaker 3: Is This is where it was going very frustrating.
Speaker 4: So I have everything between like alerts to soundboards to obs decided to just completely not work anymore, to stream labs obs not being a thing until probably a few months ago.
Speaker 3: They were just not.
Speaker 4: Being able to use the audio card in the system without third party software to give it acts.
Speaker 3: It's just so all that to say.
Speaker 4: I do art streams now, but I was doing them a long time ago. Before then I stopped because of all the complications, and I'm starting to do them up again now.
Speaker 5: So Tim Cook, if you listen, get your shit together.
Speaker 3: Get your shit together now.
Speaker 2: Well, with that, we should probably talk about what we've been playing. So I am going to sit this one out because I haven't really been playing much that I can talk about necessarily, and also I'm in the middle of a move, so I haven't had much time. But with all that, Lucy, what have you been up to this week?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: I finished the medium last weekend, so I was about halfway through where we talked about it last time I was on the podcast and you said, how do you think it's dealing with a couple of the heavier themes. Turns out I hadn't got there yet.
Speaker 2: I haven't finished it yet, Okay.
Speaker 1: I overall, I, like I said last time, a really great like sort of triple a double game, the likes of which you don't really get anymore. I really like the puzzle solving for me. It was kind of the right level of stress with which I could deal with at the minute, if that makes sense in a horror game like I could just I could just sit down and blast th a couple hours and were go. I don't think it's stuck the landing it all. I think it got a bit confused with itself. There was some stuff that I thought was really cool. There was some story beats. But over I mean overall, I liked it. I just was I think at the ending also outstated to welcome a bit. However, I started on Little Nightmares too this lunchtime, so I've literally played an hour and I totally missed the first one. And I'm now kicking myself because it just is a mix of limbo and inside. And while we're waiting for play Dead to do something new, there's this. It's great and I'm really enjoying it. But like I said, only an hour in, but I sat and just was enthralled the whole time. You know, I love it. And it's a puzzle game with minimal handholding, minimal dialogue any of that. Also, it's just creepy as hell, but it has little Ico moments in that you're kind of going around with another little kid and there's a button where you can hold their hand, and you know, the two of you are sort of running through grass and I just you know, it's Ico's twentieth anniversary. They have a it's a big anniversary for Fiveico this year.
Speaker 2: Eco.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I was excu I know, I know it's ego. That's one thing about me is that I'm very bad with Like you know, when you see words written down over and over again and you kind of think, oh, this is how I pronounce it, and then you say out loud you realize you're an idiot.
Speaker 2: Though it was just an accent thing.
Speaker 1: Now Eco, it is the twentieth anniversary this year, and so instead of replaying ECO playing Little Nightmas too, do.
Speaker 2: You think you'll go back and play one?
Speaker 1: I think I might, You know, I yeah, people, I remember people really enjoying one, and I just never got around to it. So yeah, I'm kind of in like a sort of soft horror, bit gross soft horror. I mean there are some there is some gross stuff in Little Nightmares. There is just body parts all over the place. There's there's a really weird like dinner table scene that you walk through where they've got like this big I don't even know what they're supposed to be. They look like wax but with like big huge bubbles of it coming out of their face and they look like they're stuffed.
Speaker 5: And it's the first game. The first game holds up really well, like it's it's really gorgeous, like the art technically like beautiful. When the sound is like like sometimes you have to like turn up the volume because you know, and turned to leant down the lights and get into the mood. It's such a good game to play. Yeah, I'm excited for you to play the best one as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but other than that, I'm halfway through season four of The Expense. You might remember that I started The Expense maybe three weeks ago, so that's how that's going. It's really good.
Speaker 2: You also put the medium down in your what you've been playing. What are your thoughts on it so far?
Speaker 3: So I feel like I'm only halfway through.
Speaker 4: I ended up going on a vacation like winter getaway thing with a couple of people. It was all, you know, we got tested before we went on the trip, so it's not like we're just irresponsibly, just really nearly going around. I actually quick short story, I actually had to like ask one of the flight attendants to tell someone to put their mask on in the plane on the way back because he just got on without the shit on it at all.
Speaker 3: So like, I take that very seriously, But I.
Speaker 2: Sorry, what was flying like just to It's like other than that, because it's something I've been so curious about and it's something I I'll probably have to do soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is nerve wracking for me because again, I know some people out there just don't take it seriously, and that drives me insane because obviously in a situation where they're on this enclosed space that they do have like the same air, they do have medical grade ventilators that they've like made sure work for combating that, but even still like it stresses me out because again I just no one none of us.
Speaker 3: Knows what these people's lives are like outside of that. So there's that you.
Speaker 2: Know, we need.
Speaker 5: You'll know you know what I'm talking about here, will you know? Do you remember recently it was like over the last two years, people started bringing arcade sticks. It was like the kof community they used to. They started bringing arcade sticks that were normal arcade sticks, but they had like a wall on one side so the other person couldn't see. Like it was really fascinating the like because sometimes when you're sitting next to each other, when you see a hand movement, like when you're when you're when you play enough fighting games, you're like instinctively react. So people started putting up walls so you couldn't tell when someone was moving their hand and react to it. Just just like massive walk around, just sit down, but just take the arcade stick with the wall. So like you sit down and just put out an arcade stick and the wall appears, and people are like, what's going on. Practicing combos start a business.
Speaker 3: On a plane. Yeah, uh well yeah, it's is nerve wracking. Uh. They try their best to space people.
Speaker 4: Out if the flights aren't full, but uh, they tend to make some of them full depending on what's going on. Like I know Christmas, they were just packing them in and that was really weird. But yeah, I've only flown I think twice since the pandemic hit, and I didn't want to do it either time, but you know, sometimes you just have to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been weird because normally, like we travel a lot for work, like multiple times a year, and I have not been to an airport in over a year now, and it's just it's it's weird. It's a weird feeling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the airport has always stressed me out, Like I've always felt this like uncomfort with being in the airport in general.
Speaker 2: Until I sit down by my gate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stressed, yes, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: But anyway, the medium, the.
Speaker 4: Medium, Yes, I feel like I kind of understand some of the points that Lucy was just saying about how it doesn't stick everything, but where I'm at, like the puzzle. This actually ties into one of the other things we'll talk about later. But the puzzle that I had just got off of and I was like I was stuck on it for like a half hour. I had to have been at least that long. It crashed in the middle like twice while I was trying to do it. So there was like, why is this game crashing? Like it's not like mind blowing technical in any you know.
Speaker 2: Are you on PC?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, I've heard.
Speaker 4: I've heard there's been issues on PC stuttering and crashing just randomly.
Speaker 3: You're not doing anything. I'm just walking down the hall.
Speaker 1: But not even in the split mode, just like regular walking down the hall.
Speaker 3: One was a regular walking down the hall.
Speaker 4: One wasn't split mode, and I don't know if the other one was too, but they get crashed like three times total. But yeah, there was one puzzle that was just like really clumsily done. I had solved the puzzle, but because something wasn't literally lined up by.
Speaker 1: A pixel you know, wait, wait, wait is this the exact puzzle that Jake called out?
Speaker 2: Like, which which.
Speaker 1: Puzzle was it?
Speaker 3: There was a globe and it was moving and you.
Speaker 2: Know talking about it's where like the globe moves the room around.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had moved it in position like several times and tried to walk through that area and it just wasn't letting me. So I'm like, I guess I'm just not supposed to go out here, and it was literally like it just needed to move like a pixel over more. And I was like, this is bad, this is subjectively bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of them. I am at the stage now where I won't spend ages like trying to figure out a puzzle anymore. Like I will just immediately go to Google and type in things like medium chair which one or something if I get stuck.
Speaker 2: But like never played Baba as You, because god, you could spend hours and hours and hours and hours on puzzles.
Speaker 1: And I did buy Boba as You it was on sale recently.
Speaker 2: It is hard, oh man.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I there were a few puzzles in the Medium where either it just wasn't either I'd done it in the quote unquote wrong way and the game had a very prescribed vision of what it wanted me to do, or it would just randomly worn something in like not in a different area, but like close to me but not logically, yes, something should be there's one. There's one at the very end where you're following the little butterflies around and I was looking for the last bit of the puzzle because I couldn't progress any further. And then I looked it up and it was literally like pulled out like behind me, and I was like, what wasn't there.
Speaker 4: That happened with one of the I'll just say the threats, one of the threats of a stealth segment, like they were just going in the wrong path, and someone in chat was like, that wasn't supposed to happen. It was a really weird situation. I was like, well, I did it, so whatever.
Speaker 2: What do you think of the story in setting so far?
Speaker 4: I didn't know where it was going to go for the longest time. I'll say for sure that there were a lot of unexpected things that happened in it, and the reveals were pretty good. The settings themselves were eerie. They had a really good amount of atmosphere to them, and the shifting between the world made for some inventive moments, and I, yeah, I think that was my cats haunted.
Speaker 3: As soon as I say that, I'm like, ah, what's happening?
Speaker 4: But overall, I think they did a good job of kind of like invoking that like uneasy feeling out of you in a lot of those areas without necessarily being like too grotesque the whole time. But you know, there's a character I don't want to spoil it too much. But there's a young character who appears at some point who was like, who encapsulates that perfectly where it's like you have the duality going on with personality and also like aesthetic and it's just like, WHOA, Like I feel uneasy, but I know I'm supposed to feel uneasy, but I also feel like endeared in the moment. It did that really.
Speaker 2: Well, Yeah, I know it'sen You're talking about that early on, and I did really like that scene because I would do the same exact emotions. When I saw it, I was like, WHOA. As you get to know the character, you feel more endeared.
Speaker 3: Like what you're saying, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: More how about you?
Speaker 1: What have you?
Speaker 5: I'm going to keep mind quick because it's not that different from last week I started. I carried on playing Hollow Night. Well, I restarted Hollow Night on PC because I started streaming it after my embarrassingly short Metal Gear stream, which I planned for multiple weeks on. So I was like, oh, I'm just gonna play Hollow Night. And I started again and I'm getting more into it. I want to correct some things that I said last week. I don't know why, like but one of the things I think I mentioned was the inability to move while using a map, and I swear I tried to do that so many times on the SWITCH version and I remember being annoyed by it. But I did it on PC and it was fine. Like you can move very slowly while using the map, and I've unlocked a few more kind of items that make it a bit easier get around. Still not ideal, Still a bit frustrating, but it's better now. It's less of an issue for me, or maybe I just kind of got over it and quite being a baby about it. But yeah, I beat the first boss and it was it was pretty good. It was like, surprisingly, I can feel my soul's kind of like experience translating over pretty well.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I played maybe like four or five hours of that and I'm enjoying it. The world still hasn't grabbed me. The music is phenomenal, Like the music is so good in that game, and it feels really good as well to move. It's got like a really nice momentum and kind of inertia to moving the character around. So yeah, I'm just like playing through that streaming every I play like one or two hours every time. I stream, and my streams are usually like abrupt, like no schedule to it right now, because I'm just like, yeah, whenever I'm boord, I'll just stream, so like I get maybe like ten people being in there being like, oh you're streaming, playing a bit hold. And also my internet sucks, so sometimes I'll start streaming and I'll be like, people are like, why is this running in two hundred and seventy e three P.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm like, blame Sonic Internet. They suck. But yeah, for the most part, it's fine and yeah, so I'm enjoying that. I also started watching The expanse Yes, which is I watched one episode and I like I got enough out of it to be like, yeah, I can continue watching this. I didn't know Thomas Jane was in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if Jane Jane isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know if he's going to stick around. His character is really crap. His acting is also very crap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's not my favorite.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's like he's like a ship blade runner right now. It's just like walking around and being really lame. But like, I like, I like where it's going and I can feel the Battlestar Slash massive effect vibes through it, So I'm to keep digging into it and watching a bit more of that and beyond that update on a persona five still playing it still in She Does Palace. I finally I finally beaten that I've sent the calling card. Now She Does Palace, I can finally get beyond it, which I'm hoping to do fairly soon. I see Jake every now and then on playing it, and I'm like, I should do that too. Usually I start playing it because I see Jake is playing it. I'm like, yeah, I should do that as well.
Speaker 2: The Taste Maker, Yeah I met a palace now, okay, I'm catching up to you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm so close to the new content I can taste it. And I had a I fought the battle before the set o Boss bellt I'm not going to say who it is in case anybody because that's a big twist, but I remember that I spoiled something.
Speaker 2: I'm going to bleep out the palace name of what I.
Speaker 5: Just yeah, maybe, yeah, maybe you should bleep out the sheet of it as well. But like that boss fight, I did that boss fight that I did, I remember it being way harder the first time in Vanilla Persona five, because this time I did it and I was like, well, I just run a train on you. Suck.
Speaker 1: I mean that's the thing that the whole game is much easier except for that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's the.
Speaker 1: That one.
Speaker 5: That one is is like it's genuinely broken. Like the way you make that, you make that boss fight doable is to turn it onto the hardest difficulty and then exploit the weaknesses.
Speaker 1: That's what I do. Because you do you take way more damage, but you also do weigh more damage if you exploit weaknesses, and that entire boss fight is like you have to exploit every weakness and kill them all in the same turn.
Speaker 5: Is Yeah, it's one of them ones. But it's like if you get unlucky and get wiped out, you're starting all over again. But yeah, I'm slowly trucking through that. It's good. I'm enjoying it. Yeah, And I also bought myself a graphics tablet and I started drawing again. Fun.
Speaker 3: Hey I'm here for this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I bought a this This podcast is not sponsored by Hueyon, but I bought Inspira Hate six for ep. It's a basic one I had to walk on when I was in the UK, and I used to draw way more when I was younger, like when I was in college and university and desperately struggling with what my what I'm going to do with life? I was like, I could do art. I like art, and I was like really into drawing, and then I dropped off. And now I'm in a stage where I'm like I need things to make me feel happy again. So I was like, I'm going to get back into art. So I started messing with drawing again and it's fun. Yeah. My I realized that I've lost every skill that I had, Like I can't foreshorten for shit anymore. My abortions suck, Like.
Speaker 4: It's one of those things that we don't think about being hard until you're doing it, and things like shit, like you have to play so many tricks on your brain to This is one of the things I love about art though, But you have to play so many tricks on your brain to like break down when it is that you're seeing, yeah, to then represent that to someone else that they see what you're seeing. So like everything down to color, like our eyes constantly adjust so we interpret things in nighttime as being red. It's like, I know this is red because I know the conditions of where I am and what's happening around me, that this is red. But if you paint it, it's like a bluish purple but not red, like.
Speaker 3: Not the same at all.
Speaker 4: So you have to like constantly be telling your brain, make this purple, make this burgundy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know the beat red, like right, you know.
Speaker 2: I went to school for film and I remember learning about light color and that reminds me a lot of that because that's something I literally never thought about until I took that class. And it was like, oh wait, like that's an orange light back there, and daylight is more bluish and like there is actually competing light in most rooms you're in, Like right now, my camera doesn't really know what what's white and what isn't because that white, it's it's fascinating stuff. But that made me think of.
Speaker 5: That, Yeah, and like as part of that, I've started also trying to watch more like drawing streams and drawing YouTube videos and just because you on art TikTok, yet I have been on art TikTok.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I can't draw for shit, and yet I want art TikTok and I love it.
Speaker 5: The problem the problem I found with art TikTok is I when I watch I like the process as in like both like the time lap stuff and also like the struggle to get something right. With art TikTok, they do that thing where they're like they put a pen to the page and then or like the tablet or screen and they draw a line and then they do like a handwipe and it's like crash Man play some dubstep and there's this amazing thing that I'm like, that sucks, Like you want to see the process. I don't want to see like a line and then you've created this piece of art Like yeah, that's not great, like but like YouTube is way more like that, and Twitch as well you get to see even slower, like the whole step by step process and see how they got to where they are. And the part of wartic Took I like is like where they're like, oh you can use this tool to do this thing, or you know, you can think about drawing in this way and like breaking down, Oh this is how you draw a finger or something like that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we should probably move on to topics because we are running out of time and we are back with topics this week. First up we have is the cyberpunk twenty seventy seven City Project Read was hacked and then held it ransom. This is quite the story, and it still seems to be developing in some sense, but City Project put out an official statement saying yesterday we discovered that we have become victim of a targeted cyber attack, due to which some of our internal systems have been compromised. An unidentified actor gained unauthorized access to our internal network, collected certain data belonging to CD Project Reads Capital Group, and left a ransom note to the content of which which we released to the public. There's another note that they showed as well in this tweet. Although some devices in our network have been encrypted, our backups remain intact. We've already secured our it infrastructure and began restoring. We will not give into the demands nor negotiate with the actor, being aware that this may eventually lead to the release of compromised data. We are taking We are taking necessary steps to mitigate the consequences of such release, in particular by approaching any parties that might be effected due to the breach. We are still investigating the incident. However, at this time we can converm to the best of our knowledge, the compromised systems did not contain any personal data to our players or users of our services. We have already approached the relevant authorities, including law enforcement and the President of Personal Data Protection Office, as well as the IT forensic specialists, and we will closely cooperate with them to fully investigate this incident. They've had a not great couple of months.
Speaker 5: Which is a City Project read has been very much the case of soaring highers crushing lows lately, hasn't it like which Soaring highs gent a High and then cyberpunk and this absolutely crushing low. I love the message that the hacker left behind though, Hello, City Project, You've.
Speaker 2: Been epically pouned, just like, oh mind.
Speaker 5: My dad's again in portrait Now he's writing a hacker message with ethically that's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just a situation that has.
Speaker 4: It's so frustrating a gamer, as a fan, as just someone on the inside or the outside looking at this whole situation, It's like, all right, they clearly need a break they've in a way put themselves in this horrible situation, but they've you know which or three didn't didn't launch Perfect Condition either, But like it's one of my favorite games just all time period. Hell yeah, I know cyberpunkin Yeah right, I know cyber punkin Get There too. But obviously it's got a ton of issues like and then the whole hacking situations like I've I've.
Speaker 3: Personally, I don't even want to say anything about it.
Speaker 4: I've personally been hacked before multiple occasions, and it's like, obviously I've taken steps to ensure that doesn't really happen the same way it did before. But these people who are just going out of their way to try to make lives more miserable for other people, I get it. Like City Project Read betrayed the trust of gamers in really significant ways, but it's never been an excuse to send death threats the people, or to dux people to hack them and compromise data that's sometimes very sensitive. It's I don't know, there's just this's just there's a chemical in your brain that should have some level of empathy to be like, you know what, it's not worth this pain. I'm going to bring someone else for me to get whatever I'm trying to get.
Speaker 5: The problem is most people have that chemical, but it's like drowned out or canceled out by anonymity chemical in the brain. Like most people would go, oh, yeah, I shouldn't do this. It sucks, and then the other chemical goes no one will ever know. Okay, it's me.
Speaker 1: It's me against the corporations, isn't it.
Speaker 5: And that's.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the thing when Jake, when you were reading out that thing was like an actor and I was like, wait, caves.
Speaker 5: I love the idea of stealing his own source code.
Speaker 1: Taking his learnings from the I love the idea of him doing John Wick voice, just saying yeah, I'm thinking, I'm hack.
Speaker 2: At how many people are behind this, Because if it's one person, like I don't know, that seems pretty tough to do. Is one person as someone who knows literally nothing about hacking or any of that stuff. But if it is one person, it also makes me question what their infrastructure is like if someone was able to do this, I don't know, there's a lot of information that we don't have that I'm very curious about. But like at the end, of the day. I hope they get this stuff sorted. This year, in particular, seems like a year that CD Project Red had kind of already laid out a plan to kind of regain the trust of fans and players and whatnot. And this, I mean, you know, in some sense it has to be related, even though you imagine the development team is still working on those patches and VLC and whatnot. But like still after the year they had, can you imagine beginning of twenty twenty one, just some some dick does this just sucks? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's big Ben Affleck pushing the swing as Batman energy from from them right now.
Speaker 1: What they're picking up the dome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they just can't get it having a smoke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why are there so many sad Beneffleck.
Speaker 3: He's just good at making that content.
Speaker 5: It's like him and him and Keanu as well, like they had they both have like sad Keanu is a thing and sad Ben Affleck is a thing.
Speaker 2: Just like, Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Hope they bounce back, like regardless, Like they clearly screwed some things up, but like I think that you know, it's not beyond reproach. They can make good on that. But if they if they're constantly being kicked while they're down, they never be able to stand up. So it kind of sucks to see this, but also, you know, hopefully it's it's kind of a not a wake up call. I mean it's kind of wake up call because random outsiders shouldn't be able to just hack your way into hack their way into this thing. My favorite thing is like I saw a tweet earlier today being like, oh gamers that are seeing this this hacked stuff, being like, oh wow, this code is held together by tape and it's like not even fully tested and not implemented properly. This sucks. This is really irresponsible. And then the follow up is all devs ever like shifting in their seats because that's how all games are made. Like, yeah, that's how every game is made. Like you just don't know it.
Speaker 4: You literally can't flesh out the entirety of the outside boundaries of the map.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just like most games that hold together by duct tape and like praise.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well there's also there's also another topic that we wanted to touch, breaking news, breaking news, apparently Lucy, what's going on?
Speaker 1: So it turns out and now confirm by Neil Druckman himself. Bella Ramsey, who played Leanimalmont in Hey, remember Game of Thrones, will be joining the Last of US HBO series And is she going? Is she definitely going to be Ellie?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it looks like she's playing Ellie. Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: The headline on the Hollywood Reporter breakout Bella Ramsey to start as Ellie. So I am very excited. Like, the thing that gets me most excited about the Last of US TV show is not Druckman's involvement, which I'm very excited about, but it's the fact that it's Craig Metzin, who did Chernobyl and the Hangover.
Speaker 2: Movies was pretty well written in some sense of the word.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like please be excited for Mike Tyson absolutely punching the ship out of Joel at some point to a Phil Collins solo.
Speaker 1: But no, like thinking thinking about who could play Ellie, a character that is so like, she's so strong beyond her year. And then I mean, I don't know about you all, but I've sort of repressed Game of Thrones. I covered it for work for years, and like, I'm not at the stage where I hated the final season so much that I just want nothing to do with blah blah blah. But it's like I was very let down by the final season, and it's just like one of the things that despite devoting literally years of my life to that franchise, both books, on the show, once it was done, I was like, the ship has sailed. That part of my life is gone. And so this is like a really nice crossover of the two that I was totally not expecting. But I'm totally hyped.
Speaker 5: For the animalmon known for being a powerful presence in Game of Thrones.
Speaker 1: Bad Bitch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember. I can't remember exactly all of those scenes, but I remember her sitting on a horse and shouting at about like two thousand men. So I'm into.
Speaker 2: That wow weapon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she was like she like told people to shut the hell up a bunch of times.
Speaker 1: So was it she when they were going around getting all the last together and she was like, yeah, we'll bear island, I'll be with you. We've got like seventy two men. Yeah they're worth like hundreds.
Speaker 5: Yeah that was Yeah.
Speaker 2: She was a good character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's great.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't remember much a game.
Speaker 5: I saw it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I remember finishing the last episode or whatever. I was like watching it with my roommate at the time and just got up and I was like, all right, that's that I thought about it.
Speaker 5: Since that's the end of that chapter.
Speaker 4: I didn't watch a love Game of Thrones, but i've I've like in and out seen it.
Speaker 3: So my fiance and I lived to given now.
Speaker 4: But at the time, when you know, Game of Thrones were still going on, i'd go over her place and see it on sometimes, and so I would catch it every once in a while. But I caught the like the last four episodes of Game of Thrones, and I was just like, but why I was? I was caught up to everything else. I was like, all right, this makes sense, this connects to that.
Speaker 3: That's all good.
Speaker 1: It's just like, what's up without white Horse? Is that supposed to be symbolism?
Speaker 4: This character is acting kind of weird right now, like really just not what they would do in this situation at all. And like I knew that as an outsider who had only seen like a handful of episodes.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 5: The other part of that story is, as is the debunking of the rumor that Mahasha Ali was going to play Trol. Apparently he did look at the role and was in discussions, but ultimately decided not to sign on.
Speaker 2: That would be.
Speaker 5: Great, I imagine, imagine he looked at it and went, no, those notes are way too angry. I'm not getting any.
Speaker 3: But possibility.
Speaker 2: Questions this week. Like I said last week, we actually the email account is broken.
Speaker 5: So so I.
Speaker 1: Did get an email from it. Oh yeah, you have to change the GameSpot dot com to at readventures dot com, which I didn't know he had to do.
Speaker 2: So if you do want to send us an email, I guess you can do it after dark podcast at redventures dot com. Does that sound very Lucy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, after doark podcast at readventures dot com.
Speaker 2: So maybe it's just that we don't have those aliases back yet. Eventually it'll be settled. But in the meantime, if you don't want to do that, you can join our discord server by deeming myself. Or if you don't want to join a discord server, you just want to ask us a question, feel free to at me on Twitter. I will I will surely see it anyway. First question here, Lucy, do you want to take.
Speaker 1: Sure this is from Rob Goodard, longtime listener, first time question. Askerer as someone who loves a great game based on a popular franchise like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Batman, et cetera. Are there any books, comics, shows, or films out there that you would love to see get the gaming treatment. I would love to see something like Castle Rock, but not necessarily that show. Maybe you're a new detective in a mysterious New England town. You work through an overarching plot, maybe something around the machinations of Flag, but get wrapped in a small side quest cases that all have connections to the many works of Stephen King. It all makes sense in my head, and I'm sure I could spend a lot more time trying to explain what I'm picturing. I'm down for that, though, is a big Stephen King fan.
Speaker 2: I'm just I want a Mandalorian game. I'm not super into Star Wars. I enjoyed The Mandalorian for what it was, but I think just like an open world bounty hunting game similar to like the Witcher three could be pretty cool where you're just taking on different contracts. Maybe even like a CD project Red could do a pretty good job at something like that, even if it's not then, But I think, just like a Mandalorian, like not a super strong narrative, but more focused on these these moment to moment stories that you get as you meet different contract givers more or less, and you can kind of just explore the universe as you see fit. Be the bounty hunter you'd like to be. I think that would be really cool.
Speaker 1: Damn that it's really cool. And now I can't think of one.
Speaker 4: I have one, but like I'm now fixated on that because I really would love to see that and play that experience that.
Speaker 2: Just like watching the show, like, I was way more fascinated with all the little stories that they told the side quest opposed to like the grander narrative of baby Yoda and whatnot. As cute as baby Yoda is and whatnot, I was like, I don't I don't really care what this baby's deal is. I just want I just want Mando to shoot things. I guess.
Speaker 5: I've got a bunch I think we've talked about before.
Speaker 2: We have, We've had similar questions.
Speaker 5: Platinum Games should make a Blade game. Yes, Remedy Entertainment should make a co op narrative driven shooter based on the Supernatural TV show. I want the initiative the Gears of War team to do Demolition Man. Coalition initiative Coalition, yeah is perfect, Ok, Yeah, coalition to do Demolition Man. There needs to be a Green Lantern game. I'd love to see that. What else is there? There's I've got so many just like lodged in my head.
Speaker 1: How you come up with these so quickly?
Speaker 5: I'm like, I've spent a lot of time thinking about them. Uh, what do you call it? Rockstar Games Presents and what's it called? The Stephen King Dark Tower series? Imagine that I'll be pretty good. I'd like that. Yeah, that's pretty much it.
Speaker 1: I Ah, I don't know, because like we've had Alien Isolation, which is pretty much the closest thing you can get to an alien game, like a perfect alien representation of the movie.
Speaker 4: I guess, uh, fuck that game, dude, I've I've it's a great game.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I feel.
Speaker 3: Her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like My answer would be I would love to see Storm get her own game and then have that tie in, like if Insomniac could do what they did with Spider Man, but with Storm and then in like the Origin of Storm and incorporate her into the X Men and then having Wakan like I need it, I need.
Speaker 5: You could bring in you could bring into Chara into that as well, exactly perfectly. Oh yeah, that would be good. There hasn't been a good X Men game.
Speaker 1: Legends Destiny.
Speaker 5: The X Legends was good, but like was so bad?
Speaker 3: What X Men? What's X Men Destiny?
Speaker 5: Slight one was the one.
Speaker 1: That got pulled from shelves after the whole Silicon Knights is It Unreal stuff? It was basically like you got to sort of pick your mutation kind of semi RPG stuff.
Speaker 4: I forgot about that impressively bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Want to play that Storm game'd who would develop it?
Speaker 3: Insomniac Games will.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and if they could literally just tie it into I don't know that there's so many things they could do because even with Spider Man they did they did just different shit with that. And we haven't really had a really great like version of Storm aside from like Marvel versus Capcom again X Men Legends. She was in that and she was amazing, but we hadn't seen her in really much else other than that, and we haven't seen a superhero game that did flight really well in a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like they could do some interesting things with like ranged attacks as well, almost like you'd set up your attacks early. You'd see where people are going to be and set up your lightning over there, and then maybe do some handhand combat over here, and then the lightning comes down pretty Yes, Lucy, didn't a couple of weeks ago you bring up like Bethesda doing a Lord of the Rings game or is that more just like, oh, that's the Howards.
Speaker 1: How it had a Lord of the Rings in his room and Arcane hiring for a fantasy project. That would be cool, that's what it was. I would love to see. I don't know. I love what Manola's do with a Shadow of War Shadow of model. Now they've patterned to the Nemesis system though, But there's so much more to explore in Lord of the Rings, especially now that you've got the second Age TV show coming to I really hope that you get to go and see some of that stuff. So maybe.
Speaker 2: Maybe all right, next question here, Tomorre, do you want to read this last one?
Speaker 5: Yes? What if I get my screen curve I had? This one is from the one who finally proposed. Well done for proposing. Heay. I have spent ten or fifteen hours in Hollow Night stuck on one boss, the Trait of Lord kicked my ass a lot, and it's a relatively simple boss. I'd wonder Hollow Hollow Nest, trying to see if there's anything else to do in the meantime, because I just couldn't get past him. And today, today I actually choose the fight and finally beat him. No shame or regret. I'm nowhere there beating the game, but I don't really want to play anymore. Has there ever been a moment or boss in a game where you stop playing afterwards and had no desire to play. I'm sure a few days, in a few days, I'll go back and play, but I just don't want to right now. I just don't know right now.
Speaker 1: Fuck the Twin Princes in Dark Souls three.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, I remember that.
Speaker 1: I hate them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there are a couple of naughty boys. Yeah yeah, I think I think a lot of people help with Dark Souls franchise. They have it with worn Stein and the Smile, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I was really tough. I remember messaging you on Slack because you were in You're in the UK at the time tomorrow, and I was like, how the fuck do I do this? Because I cannot do this? And You're just like, relax, come back to it later. How they're just going crazy.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say something that's going to infuriate you. Infuriate you. I finished that fight you're talking.
Speaker 3: About the first fight with g Yeah. I did that fight on one try.
Speaker 5: Oh wow.
Speaker 4: And people who are I was streaming it, people who are watching it were just like, no fucking way. Another friend who has been stuck on it for like a solid week, was like, I can't wait to see you struggle on this fight like I did.
Speaker 3: And I was just like, I guess I got lucky.
Speaker 1: I don't know it.
Speaker 5: It's a real game that has a real game.
Speaker 2: I was watching him play and you're gonna be stuck on him forever. And he beat him third try, and I was like.
Speaker 5: Well, I Andy Andy Cortez of kind of funny whereas is playing dogs. I was on stream and he went into the Ornstein and Smile fight and CHAT was like, here we go, lads. He just like absolutely stomped them like it was on It was cruel, how bad? How quickly he beat them. I was like, wow, he's uh good. He was like oh, I was like, okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: I guess my example though, would be just to keep this quick. My mind's probably just every Assassin's Creed game that I've played, not really necessarily due to bosses. I just got to a point where I wanted to play more, but I was like, I don't want to play more that bad, and then I just stopped. And I've always thought about continuing many of them, but I just never did.
Speaker 3: Was the traversal that got you just like having to get from pointing to be in.
Speaker 2: It's it's like it's always something different in all of them. I feel like two I just didn't like the gameplay, so I stopped with Valhalla. It was that the story didn't really interest me much, and never Black Flag. It was the traversal that I was just got tired of. It was just there's always something that I that I pick on with those games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my exams was going to be a little bit weird. It's going to be Mass Effect three, and it wasn't because I got stuck on something. Mechanically speaking, I couldn't decide between two love interests.
Speaker 3: So I just put the game down and just stop playing.
Speaker 2: I've heard it was people who have done this too.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was Leara and Miranda, and I didn't play the first one, so like everything I knew about Leara really came down to like what I was told about in the second one, and then in the third one, I.
Speaker 3: Was like, Yo, she's so cool.
Speaker 4: So I just didn't know, like which it's something so trivial, like it doesn't and then at the.
Speaker 3: End of the day it didn't matter.
Speaker 4: But like playing through the game and experiencing it and kind of falling in love with these characters, not just like romantically, but like just the characteristics of them, I just couldn't do it. I was just like, I need to stop.
Speaker 3: I just have to. I don't know what to do. I don't know how it's going to change the story.
Speaker 5: Difficult decision to make because like horrors amazing, and Miranda's got ahead of the booty, so.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: You won't be seeing that in legendary edition.
Speaker 3: Better not nerve.
Speaker 5: They should release the Sorry, I was just gonna say, like, if I was by the way, I would release Passionates for Legendary Edition, and they should only have one one entry. It just like NERFS Miranda's Booty.
Speaker 2: Michael never finished Michael in the Game Spot Office never finished Mass Effect because he was just too stressed about the idea of being done with all those characters.
Speaker 5: And oh yeah it's tricky. Yeah, it's difficult.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, thank you all for listening to episode eighty of Games But After Dark, and thank you guys for joining us. Lucy, where can people find you? And what are you up to this week?
Speaker 1: I'm on Twitter at least James Games and I'll be playing Metal Gear Solid for the fat Yeah.
Speaker 5: You'd love to see that tomorrow? What about you? I'm on tomorrow. H I'm just occasionally dropping nonsense in there. If you want to watch me, stream Twitch your TV for a session more h Otherwise I'm on you know, game spot things doing stuff. I will be playing Hollow Night.
Speaker 2: And will How about you? Where? Where can people find you?
Speaker 5: Both?
Speaker 2: On Twitter? Twitch, YouTube, whatever you want to plug?
Speaker 4: Everything is black only except for uh TikTok, which I guess someone took black only and whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know it's the worst.
Speaker 4: I'm going to be playing some Warframe most likely today, but uh, we're gonna gett into a.
Speaker 3: Whole bunch of stuff. There's some.
Speaker 4: NDA stuff I can't say anything about, play some really cool things, very shortly.
Speaker 2: Cool. And then you can find me at Jacob dech And that's it for this week. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 5: Bye.
Speaker 2: Don't be something, El