Speaker 1: Why you're in Canada. Are you a Canadian? Is that what I understand?
Speaker 2: I am in Toronto.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, that would make you a Canadian, even though people in Quebec would deny that.
Speaker 2: You know, I remember learning in I think it was Grade five about the nineteen ninety five referendum when Quebec wanted to separate from Canada, and I got to say, there is a decent amount of animosity at times between people, especially in the Western provinces, towards those in Quebec. But we love our friends in Montreal and elsewhere.
Speaker 1: No, you don't. The fact is that the referendum law referendum loss by about one percent of the vote. You know that that is true.
Speaker 2: Yes, for your listeners, there was someone by the name of Jean Cherie who was the premier of Quebec and he ran for the leadership of the Conservative Party. And even though this happened in nineteen ninety five, it remains a very discussed issue in Canadian politics. That was one of the main kind of central points throughout his campaign.
Speaker 1: Good thing, nobody check that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So what.
Speaker 1: Was interesting about that referendum is that the rest of Canada was actually surprised that it was that close. The rest of Canada was amazed that it was that close. They did not realize there was that level of animosity. What nobody realized is what would have happened if that had actually gone through. Do you know what would have happened?
Speaker 2: Uh, tell me what you were going to say, and I have some thoughts afterwards.
Speaker 3: Go ahead.
Speaker 1: I don't know why my headphones are so unbalanced. Jesus, Hold up a second. I've like I hear you at a ten and I hear myself at a two, and some nights it actually works, right, But this is not one of those nights. But that's sor right. It's symbolic of everything that's happened tonight. Hold on a second, let me put in. Let's try the other input, because I got four hours to kill here. Hold on, test, test, test. You know it's such. It's a great radio station and it has great facilities. But man, the munchkins come in and eat these earphones. Give me one more second. Normally, you know these things will be tested by text. But you know it's all right, all right now. What would have happened is the rest of the country would have realized that Quebec is bankrupt. It is the poorest of all the provinces, and the amount of subsidies from the rest of the government that supported are profound. The minute it's separated from the rest of the country because of language issues, the people of Quebec would find out just how poor they are.
Speaker 2: Which just for your listeners, because right now obvious.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, stop, stop, you keep talking like it's meet the press. I don't have any listeners. I have a listener. Listener singular singular. We refer to them in the singular. I'm not on a stage with a PA system at high school these I have a listener alone in the car, praying that the kids in the back don't wake up.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well in that case, for your listener. Thing happening right now in Alberta, that is, which is Canada's kind of most well known western province that's not getting a lot of discussion in the United States, and that is they are going forward with something very similar to what Quebec tried to do in nineteen ninety five with the referendum. But the difference here is obviously Alberta's oil sands contributes greatly to the Canadian economy, and so let's basically happen. Happening is the Premiere of Alberta, which is like the Canadian equivalent of a governor, is putting forth a vote that Albertans will have on whether or not there should be a referendum, which is kind of confusing because it's basically a referendum on whether or not there should be a referendum. But the underlying kind of issue here is that there are a number of people in the province of Alberta who want to separate from the rest of Canada. It's getting a lot of discussion, and I think the part that's getting lost in all of this is you can't just dismiss it as easily as people dismiss the Quebec referendum, because in Quebec, to your point, they don't contribute economically as much to the rest of the country as a province like Alberta. Dos I think it's quite dangerous when you have that level of animosity from Alberta Albertans towards the rest of the country, and that's certainly what we're seeing now.
Speaker 1: All I know about Western Canada is Jan Arden.
Speaker 2: She's a great Canadian.
Speaker 1: She's a great Canadian and easily your most talented Canadian. And I heard her give a speech at Canadian Music Week a couple of years ago, and it blew me away. I said, Todio, my radio friends, I said, you must hire her to do a talk show. You must hire her now to do a talk show, because she's funny as hell. And then the only reason I mentioned this is because there's a TV show, having nothing to do with me that just dropped this week on Amazon Prime called Sterling Point, and Sterling Point is about cottage country in Canada. Rich cottage country teens, Rich cottage country teens hitting the prime of their adolescence, rich teens. And at one point, one of them is going through a box of stuff and there's a cassette labeled Jan Arden and I'm like, okay, I am the only person in the lower fourty who knows who the hell Jan Rden is. And then I said, well, wait a minute. They never took my advice and gave her a full time radio show. She is so funny, and bonus track, she's a lesbian.
Speaker 2: There are a number of underappreciated Canadians that I always think I wish more Americans knew who they were She's certainly up there as one of them. You know. The other thing, I was watching dragons Den Canada the other day, which is a very random thought, but as I was watching the show, I was thinking, we have it's similar to what you guys have as Shark Tank on ABC. And I was thinking, as I was watching the show, you know, there's so many great Canadian companies, great inventions. The dragons that are on you know, this panel are great people. Obviously they have lots of money they're investing in all these businesses. I thought, you know, sometimes the Canadian dragons Den is almost more interesting than the American Shark Tank, and it kind of goes back to that idea. I just wish there was in some cases greater you know, understanding of what goes on in Canada, because it's not all bad, despite what some Americans might be led to both.
Speaker 1: Dragon's Den was the precursor to Shark Tank. It was on first for a couple of years with Kevin O'Leary. He was on there, as was Robert Herzerberch that no one can pronounce. But even more interesting, have you ever seen the Australian version of Shark Tank?
Speaker 2: I have? There was this one kit I was watching on it. He ran, I think it was either like a cookie or a cupcake business or something, and he was literally like my age. And he comes out and he's like, I have six hundred thousand dollars in sales in the past year. And he got this like insane offer of like I think it was five hundred thousand dollars. They were gonna want ten percent of his company, and he said, no, I'm not going to take your deal because the valuation of his company was just that high and that good. And I thought, you know, imagine being a seventeen year old being able to reject a deal that has a five million dollar valuation to it. So I know, I think they have a lot of great talent too. And also the the UK version of Dragon's Den they have Peter Jones, mister Global as he's known, who went on the American version too recently.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, now you and I are talking to Wyatt Sharp, who is a rising senior in Canadian high school land. He has a terrific podcast on YouTube called.
Speaker 2: What's it called What's called The Sharp Exchange Shark with a knee of course.
Speaker 1: The Shark Sharp Exchange, Sharp with a knee, and you give us updates on the news. Now, you broke a story on your YouTube channel and on this show a week ago about that wacky sheriff involved with the Savannah Guthrie mom situation. Tell us what it was that was revealed on that show and what you've learned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So for your listeners who don't know what I said, for your sorry for your listener who doesn't know, I'm gonna keep doing it. You're gonna have to keep correcting me. So not this Saturday that just passed, but the one before that that marked six months since Nancy Guthrie, who is the mom of today's showing her Savannah Guthrie, was abducted from her home in Tucson, Arizona. And so as that day was approaching, I thought, you know, I haven't seen the sheriff who's the lead investigator in this case do a lot of interviews. And I thought, that's, you know, pretty puzzling. If you will. He's the lead investigator, people have a lot of questions. And I slowly started to realize that the reason he's not doing a lot of interviews is because he's turning everybody down, not because there's not, you know, an appetite for the interviews. So I thought, well, let me reach out to him. Maybe I can use the fact that I'm seventeen to my advantage. You know, I want to help my generation understand what's going on with this case. So I reached out to him. He agreed to do the interview, and like all of my interviews, I'd put hours worth of prep into the conversation, and I tried to develop questions that I knew could help advanced forward kind of the state of the case. And so I asked him about his relationship with the FBI Director, Cash Btel, which was the most interesting part. I think it might have been after we spoke last. He had said in the interview with me that Cash Patel, the director of the FBI, was misinformed. He said he was hurting the case with his involvement. And then Cash Ptel, just a few days after my interview, went on Fox News and responded directly to my conversation with the sheriff, And so, to a certain extent, I was thinking to myself, how is it that the director of the FBI and the lead investigator in this case are going at one another and focusing on the politics of this situation instead of looking for poor Nancy Guthrie, whos been gone now for six months, and so that was the most interesting part to me. You know, some of the other parts of the interview revealed kind of more information with respect to DNA and how they're using that to find out potentially, you know, the family members of who the suspect is and using the family members to then get to that main suspect. So there was really, you know, a number of interesting parts of that interview, and I think the fact that he did that interview, I have to say, I said this last time to you, giving me thirty minutes, and you know, even if he wasn't expecting it, the answers he gave certainly did move things along to an extent.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, congratulations, But what did he say?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think so on the genealogy piece, that was the one that really moved forward our understanding of where this case is at right now, because he said that they're using something called familial genial and I'm gonna kind of, you know, unpack what that means for your listener, and that is it's when you have different potential suspects and you're looking at the family members of those suspects to then root back to who the potential suspect could be. So it was just really interesting and actually very good news that he revealed that they are using familial genealogy in this case to try and figure out who the suspect could be. Because it's been six months, we have not heard a lot on where the investigation is at, in part because he has not done very many interviews, and so that was the first time in a while that he had came out and said something that actually did move things along, because now we know that they are still working behind the scenes and uncovering different techniques with respect to DNA to try and figure out the identity of the suspect. Now, another thing that I think is important to mention is people tend to think that the six month mark cases start to go cold. He made very clear that even though they are getting fewer and fewer leads, the Pima County Sheriff's Department is still receiving leads and leads of high quality as well. So he said, for example, something that struck with me was he said he had a conversation with someone in Ireland about a tip and that was kind of used by him to illustrate the variety to illustrates.
Speaker 1: That he is crap. Whytt it illustrates that he is crap? All right? Stand by, stand by. Walter Sterling The Other side of Midnight from the Red Apple Audio Network.
Speaker 3: It's the other side of mid Island with Walter Sterling in American Radio Hi, I'm retired Detective Vic Ferrari and on tonight's episode of Confessions of a Retired Detective. Firearm safety Isn't always what it seems in the New York City Police Academy. Coming up in moments with Walter Sterlington on the other side of Midnight Mayhem in Tacoma. Details later the veeople of Walmart Walter Sterling at the other side of Midnight. Red Apple Audio Network Florida Stories. It's the wildest, weirdest, stupidest, grossest, funniest, sexiest stories from Florida. I'm James Parker Florida Stories. He's coming up on the Red Apple Audio Networks.
Speaker 1: Nights fits Walter Sterling.
Speaker 3: The other side of Midnight.
Speaker 1: There's Wyatt Sharp, our Canadian friend, brilliant young man who is an excellent journalist and a dogged journalist who gets his sheriff. He was just summing up what he learned from the show. In the Savannah Guthrie mother case. The sheriff wasn't talking to people until Wyatt Sharp tracked him down last week, revealed it on his YouTube channel, and then next revealed it on our show last Sunday night. Then all these very slow, slow witted, lame other sources of information got on it, you know, Wednesday, Thursday, whenever they felt like it. But we had it on one week ago today. Whyatt, please sum up what you learned from the sheriff last week, but don't waste my time with it. Oh you know, he's got a viable source in Ireland, don't be ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I thought that was pretty telling that if he's talking to someone in Ireland. I was like, you know, I could talk to someone in Ireland too, domestic.
Speaker 1: I could talk to someone in Ireland too. I just have to say, hey, can I buy you a beer?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So, anyways, so the sheriff, I think one thing, I'll tell you what he said the moment and kind of expand from that. But I also think the fact that to your point he's after my interview, started doing interviews with just about anybody who would talk with him, which to me, I thought was a little bit of damage control on his part, because he said some stuff in the interview that then he probably thought to himself, oh goodness, I need to clear some of that stuff up, and to that some of the stuff that he said was going back to his relationship with the FBI director Cash Patel. It's probably not a good look for someone like Chris Nanos, who, frankly not most people in the United States know who he is. They know him by the fact that he's the sheriff in the Nancy Guthrie case. They don't know his name though. So if the headline is you know, Nancy Guthrie sheriff is blasting the FBI director, If I'm Cash Pattel, I'm not going to be, you know, too eager to be friends then with the sheriff, And I think he probably thought to himself, I, as the sheriff and the FBI need to continue to have some form of a relationship if this case is going to be solved. And so that's a thin where the damage control was coming from. He did say that leads have slowed down in the case as well, which was interesting kind of contrasting that with the fact that he said the case is not cold. If I think of a case going cold, usually that corresponds to a significant decrease in the number of leads. So I think some of the contradictions that he made in the interview like that were also quite telling. And I'll just say lastly, but the actual logistics of the interview itself, I was very surprised by the fact that, just a little behind the scenes for your listeners, there were no PR people involved in the coordination of this interview, which, albeit p mccounty is a very small area in Arizona, they probably don't have a lot of people doing some of the communications for him and such. But again, I just thought for a sheriff who is under the spotlight as much as him, he might have want to clear it with his PR people. But I think Ashley Banfield said this to me, one of my good mentors and a legend really is crime reporting.
Speaker 1: And eighth, the audience I do so let's just be clear. You know, when you go kissing up to your little TV friends, they have no audience compared to this show.
Speaker 2: Actually Banfield got six hundred thousand subscribers, so I just want to defend her on that front. Ashley Banfield, No, what she said.
Speaker 1: I just want to say, I've never heard of that person.
Speaker 2: Well, she worked for a number of networks, but it's more important what she said.
Speaker 1: Job. Is that what you just told me?
Speaker 2: No, No, she's very talented. She's been a great mentor to me.
Speaker 1: But I just want to say, did she teach you to address the viewer in the singular?
Speaker 2: She told me that the sheriff thought that he was probably going into this interview thinking it was a high school project, and then you know, walking out of the interview thinking, oh my goodness, I can't believe I had to say that. And so that's why, again going back to the damage control, he had to do a number of interviews in order to kind of clear up some of that stuff for you.
Speaker 1: Listen, We're very proud of you. I always enjoyed putting you on. I always enjoy having you on the show. This is the great Wyat Sharp. How do we find you on YouTube?
Speaker 2: It's on YouTube, The Sharp Exchange.
Speaker 1: The Sharp Exchange, which is going to get him into Harvard or at the very least McGill.
Speaker 2: McGill's up there. I gotta say, one of the best Canadian school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's the best Canadian school. And you should be very proud of yourself. We are proud to have you on the show. I particularly appreciate the fact that we can kid you a little and I thank you for that and I look forward to talking to you next week. Wyatt Sharp on the Other Side of Midnight with Walter Sterling