Speaker 1: You're having a good start to the day. I sure am looking forward to talking to gardeners. That's my happy place. So welcome to garden Line. My name is Skip Rictor. I'm your host, and if you would like to give me a call to talk about anything related to gardening, all you have to do is pick up a phone and I'll seven to one three, two to one two k t r H seven to one three, two to one two k t RH. I know we have listeners who do this, but I just want to remind the rest of you that if you take your phone and go to the iHeartMedia app or whatever whatever app you use for connecting to radio, you can find the garden Line radio show and just listen to it on your phone. Some people go out in the garden in the morning, which is the time to get work done around here, right especially in the summer, and they just listen on the phone as they were. Who knows, you might turn over some kind of bug and need to take a picture of it and send it to me for identification. Well here, we're here for that too. We can help recommend different kinds of plan we can help you diagnose different diseases and insects, we identify weeds, any kind of thing like that. We're happy to do it because our goal is for you to have success. It's as simple as that I would in terms of how I look at this exchange between you and I here on the radio is I'm here to help you have a more bountiful garden and a more beautiful landscape. That is the goal. And we were going to turn that thumb green topic by topic as we continue to cover the various things that are part of success in gardening here in the southeast, a greater Houston area and really across a good section of the state to folks that listen. Done in this quadrant of the state. I this past week have been getting ready to head out of town for a little bit. I'm going to I've got some folks here who can do my watering of course for me and things. But there are a number of tips that I'm gonna give for helping you to maybe make a trip like that. What do you do when you're trying to get out of town and you need to, you know, make sure your plants are taken care of. Well, we're gonna do that. For example. One thing that I do that just makes it really easy is I've got a number of different plants. I've got a couple of gingers, for example, that are in containers still the garden nursery container, and they just don't like to get super dry. And so when what I've done is moved them where they were from where they were where I could water them every day, to run the back to a very very bright, shady spot with a little dapple shade through the day, but not much more than that, and put them in a big old washtub, big old galvanized washtub. I put about maybe two inches or so of water in the bottom, depending on how far I'm how long it'll be gone away, and set them in there, and that gives them a bottom of watering where the water just wicks up into the plant and keeps them from going into major drop stress. I also will throw some mosquito granules in. It's a little area like that's too small for a whole mosquito dunk, but you can break them apart, put some of the crumbles in there, and now when the mosquitoes come along, go oh boy, let's lay eggs in there. Well, you just have basically a disease of their larvae, then they cannot take off and succeed. That works really well if you can have somebody, if you're going to be gone an extended trip, you could have somebody come by maybe every four days three days and just check on that and make sure you get enough water in it. Some people use a little three foot wide you know kids waiting pools, those little super cheap plastic things. Those are great for this. You put the water in there and you have even a better amount of water. Just think of it this way. The bigger the reservoir holding that supplemental water for waking up into the plant, the less that water is going to drop. You're going to get evaporation from the surface anyway. But if you have a big old kiddy waiting pool on little one plant in the middle, well lasts a long time because that's a lot of water. They can wake up in there. Anyway. That's just one tip for when you're going on a trip. Another one would be to make sure your bird feeders are filled up, or better yet, get one of the low bird compact bird cylinders.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Wild birds has us the compact cylinders of seed, and those last a longer time because it takes the birds a little more to peck those seeds out of there. So a couple of vacation tips there for your plants or for going on trips. Let's see, we're going to go now to talk to Abraham. Is this Abraham?
Speaker 3: Yes, it is h I'm good.
Speaker 1: How can we help?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, I have plants, reaper, turning, gask working and roast pepper, all three of them. The leaves are small, they don't grow big, like see a bushy plant, and they're black and they've been like that all season. I'm just wondering what I could do to to have it beautiful plants.
Speaker 4: You know, black is in dead black as in like a mold type looking thing.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, gotcha, well U turnovers, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I said the leaves are small, they don't grow big, and this kind of.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, the fact that they're not growing large is definitely assigned. Something's wrong. It could be a virus in the plant, and which there's no cure for. It just is what it is. Once a virus gets in, you can't cure it, so we tend to pull those plants out and put new ones in. It could also be related to stresses, you know, as the plant has various stresses from droughts to whatever, it affects its ability to put on fresh, large, healthy leaves. When I see the black, that's now making me think that there's something that is sucking juices out of either that pepper plant or some plant above it and then dropping honeydew onto the foliage which is the black. If you turn leaves over underneath, you should see you may see aphids, you may see white flies. Meatia bugs can do that, but you would have already noticed the white cottony material from them. But there are a number of little insects that feed underneath the leaf that can cause that honeydew which causes the black city mold. As far as the plant health overall, have you tried giving them a boost of some sort of liquid fertilizer.
Speaker 3: That's what I was gonna try.
Speaker 1: And next yeah, yeah, I'll tell you what I would. I would grab, you know, just to get a kind of a quicker boost or something like that. There are some great products out there that do that. Know. Microlife has a fisher mulsion. They've got a seaweed type product called Lotion Harvest. And then they've got one that is a seven.
Speaker 5: To one four.
Speaker 1: It's the orange label. It's called Biomatrix. It's a little quart bottle. You shake it up, mix a little in water, and you put it down in it. It will if it's gonna If the problem is a nutrient problem, you should see a pretty quick result from a trying that. So I think you may have more than one thing going on. Again, if it were a problem with the virus, then there's no curing it. If you would like, I can put you on hold and have my producer pick it up and give you an email address, and if you could send me some really good close up photos of that plant, the foliage, so I can see what you mean by small leaves or black leaves, and where it is on the bush and that kind of thing. Turn over a leaf for two and take a good, well focused picture of the bottom of the leaf, and I think I can get better nail it down to exactly what's going on all right with us today? You know, we love feed stores here on guard Line. And if you are up in Tomball, especially out to the west direction, D and De feed is your hometown feed store. You just go out twenty nine to twenty and they're right out there on the left hand side, just a little bit outside of Tomball. And when you go to D and D you're going to find ever fertilizer that I talk about here on guarden Line. So I mean, if you're interested in getting something that is going to feed your lawn for any season of the year, you follow my schedule. You see all the different products on there. Maybe it's you know, putting up barricade to prevent weeds or other. They've got it all right there at D D Feed. Now you'll also find the age leaf mol compost, an heirloom rose, soil of fruit berry, citrus, and veggie nerb mixes, all those good mixes from heirloom soils. They've got those as well. The phone number is two eight one three five. You need to stop in there. They've got plants out front too, and inside a lot of quality feed. If you've got pets, you're going to find many, many options for very high quality feed for your pets there at D and D Feed. Just so easy to get in and out of there. I'm very very convenient again out on just west to Tomball's head out. Now we're going to go to Cyprus, Texas and talk to Rick.
Speaker 4: Hello Rick, Hello scoop, good morning, and thank you for taking my call today.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, Well, so I.
Speaker 4: Have a question. I just bought a couple of acres out in kind of the random Chapel Hill area. It's uh, it's a little south of two ninety in between Chapel Hill and Brenham. And it's it's kind of a just a prairie, kind of open rolling hill, kind of peace of land. And I'm wanting to plant some trees on it, but I don't know which trees would would do really well there and that would kind of grow big and and and in a short period of time. And the second question is is there a place out in that direction that you would recommend that could talk to me about native landscaping and things that would do well in that area.
Speaker 1: Well, I would I would probably head up to Anti grosenpor Him, which is just in the backyard up there. It's north of Brenham. Uh, independence area that's pretty close to you up there. Uh. And they do carry a lot of native plants and you could visit with them about it. Uh. You know that you're you're out in beautiful country. Out there by the way, congratulations on on the and the property, and but there's just not a lot of you know, garden centers all over the place once you get out a little more rural like that. So Antiq Rose of you a good a good one to talk to. You know that as you come in toward the Houston area, we've got a lot of garden centers that are excellent when it comes to native plants. And so you hear me talk about those on Guardline all the time. That's a little bit of a drive in to do that, but still worth worthwhile.
Speaker 4: Okay, what would you recommend tree wise? If I wanted to plant some trees that were that we're going to grow and get some shade, and I realized it's not going to happen overnight, but something that would grow, you know, a something within the part, you know, within five years or so, what would you recommend?
Speaker 1: Are we talking about trees around the yard out there or are you talking about trees lining the roadway or coming in your drive or what what kind of location? And are you talking.
Speaker 4: About, yeah, kind of around the yard area. If I wanted to put just not like right up against the house, but you know, just to have some trees around where the yard is gonna be right.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a couple of there's a number of great trees that could be done for that. Now, if you've got an area that can be a little on the droughty side, which it sounds like in your yard, that's not going to need to be the case, but droughty type trees. The cedar elm is a good native elm that does very well out in that area. That's one that a lot of people like and go to. If you've got some things you can put a little water on as you need it. Red oaks there is a red oak called nuttall and u T t a l or Schumart s h u m a r d. Both of those red oaks will do very well. They get a good growth rate if you water them and fertilize them and keep the weeds away when they're young, let them have a mulched area around them. Those two would be good and then they're you know, just there's just so many other good trees. There's several different types of elms that are are quality, and a couple of that are pretty easy to find. Like I mentioned, the seat around the lace bark elm or Chinese elm is another name for it. That is another decent tree. I would recommend on all these. You go online, take a look at pictures and see if that's what you like to look at. And we're talking about big shade trees, right, not not smaller trees.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, a couple of big a couple of big shade trees. And then maybe some trees that give some color you know as well that aren't so big. Maybe some kind of mix, you know, some ornamental type.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so out in the sun. You know, great myrtles or are a good choice. We still use them a lot around here. And there's crapes that will get up thirty feet tall if you like them that. I like the one Natches, which has white blooms, but it has a beautiful cinnamon colored bark, and it gets quite large. You could even prune it or purchase it as a single trunk tree and continue to maintain that form. So it's not like the three stems coming out of the ground typical krape myrtle bush, but it's more of a trained up into a tree like farm Chinese fringe. Fringe tree has white blooms in the spring, shaggy white blooms and a nice little pleasant honey like fragrance to the blooms. That would be another good one. Vitex is a blue typically blue, dark blue to purple flowering plant that makes more of a multi stem shrub, but it will it's almost impossible to make it cooperate and turn into a tree form, but that would be an option. And then there's some others that are a little more touching go like red bud. They kind of prefer to be understory. Although they can grow in full sun. You just have to keep them watered so they don't get stressed. And some of those have kind of burgundy like foliage instead of just green.
Speaker 4: All right, well that's been really helpful. Thank you so much. I appreciate all your all.
Speaker 1: Your help with that, you bet. Well that's the quick answer. Now you know, there's one hundred trees we could be talking about on here. We take the rest of the show just to talk trees. But that helps you, all right, Thank you, thank you very much, Thank you pie, you bet. I'd like to give us a call seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. You hear me talk about night foss products all the time because there's a lot of high quality night foss products there. Summer regimen is basically focuses on the silver bag. It's called super turf by the way, and super turf gives you gradual release of nutrients over time and you can still put that out now. It will prevent that flush of growth that an immediate release fertilizer can cause, which means you're mowing a lot more and you're essentially having the water to kind of keep up with that because excessive nitrogen is not a good thing. But super turf takes that nitrogen and it spreads it out slowly over time. It's as if you're going out there every day giving a little bite d That's kind of what it amounts to. Super Turf's available in many different places. You go out to Katie Ace Hardware on Pinook, You're going to find it there. You're going to find it at Ace Hardware City or Memorial Drive in Houston. You can find super Turf at Stanton Shopping Center, North Taylor and Alvin as well. Super Turf just one of mini quality products from the folks at Nitrophiles. I was getting my plants ready for vacation, as I talked about a little bit earlier, and one of the things that I noticed, you know, I tend to go out and find these plants I just can't live without, and I buy them and I bring them home, and then I do what I tell you not to do, you know, buy the plant, bring it home, and there's no place to put it. Because remember brown stuff comes before green stuff, meaning the soil at its peak quality is your first goal, first goal, because then you put the plan in and you're going to have long term success. The other way around, bring it home and PLoP it into an unprepared plot is not a plan for success, and it's just an excuse for a lot of painful watching that plant not thrive and maybe even having to buy another one. So anyway, I've got some plants that are sitting in pots getting watered by me every day, So instead of the garden center having to water them every day, I'm watering them every day. And so I've got some soil prep that I'm trying to get done, because you know, it is important to get it right, and soil prep means can mean different things depending on the soil you're dealing with pretty much any soil needs organic matter, decomposed organic matter. We call that compost. That's what that's organic matter that we have decomposed on purpose to put into the soil. When you add compost to a clay, it takes that heavy clay that is dense and air and water can hardly move through it at all, and it loosens it up and creates clumps of soil particles, so there's airspace that can now flow through. The analogy I use for that is like a bowl of popcorn. So a bowl of popcorn, you know, you've got all these clumpy looking individual things, but there's airspace in between them, and that's that is building the soil. That's done with organic matter. It can also be done with expanded shale. Expanded shale lasts a long time. Think of it as just remember the old gray kitty litter. Think of that, but imagine it getting fired to a super hot, super hot hot level with steam that causes those particles to expand and sort of turn into Swiss cheese that mixed into your soil at about three inches takes a lot of it to make a difference in a clay, but about three inches mixed in will make a huge difference in a clay, or you can do small amounts over time as well. Well, it's time for me to take a break. I'm going to shut up right now and I'll be right back in a minute with your calls at seven one three, two, one two, five eight seven four. Welcome back, Welcome back to garden LINEA glad to have you listening on a Saturday morning. It's going to be a good day. I'm looking forward to getting out today after the show and getting some things done. You know what they say, have you ever heard the turn the cobblers' kids go barefoot? Well, sometimes I'm glad you can't see my yard. There's certain times when I'm traveling. I was out at the Texas Nursery and Landscape Association this past week, their convention in San Antonio. Man, was that ever a great convention. Saw a lot of good folks there, just the ioids and I go into that. But when I go away, and then when I sit in here and talk to you about gardening, I'm not outside taking care of my own. So I'm really love catching up to do. But I can do that. That's okay, my okra patch right now is looking great. It is. You know, Okra loves this weather. The more miserable you are outside in summer, the happier Okra seems to be. It can take hot, it can take humid. It's from It's from Africa, basically a portion of Africa up and kind of in the direction up toward I don't know, middle Eastern area, you know, kind of through there. And in fact, they've debated whether India, Africa where exactly did okra originate. But the bottom line is it loves Houston, it loves out East Texas. It is very happy in the South in general, hot, humid, that's its happy place. Got something going on because I was gone. I had something that kind of got past prime. And you know, with okra, you don't want to let those things get past prime. Some some cultures pick okra. It's small, small sizes. In Turkey, they pick it when it's like a inch inch and a half long and dry it and put it on strings and then that string just think of it like a big old mop, you know, with all the strands of a mop. They just put it in a soup pot and cook the ochre that way. It's like it's like a tea bag and tea bag making tea or something. But first time I saw that is amazing. I've got a little package of that. But we tend to pick it a little longer, when it's maybe three inches four inches long somewhere in there. In general, some ocres can go a little longer. Some don't go as far. But I'll tell you this, when you go too far, it is woody, it's got the fibers in it. It is no longer a succulent little something you want to eat. Just a point about that also, though, is when you're harvesting okre, if you'll bend the pod, if it snaps cleanly in two with no low fibers hanging on, that's one sign that it's still at a good tender. And remember it's not the size that the pod achieves. It determines whether or not it's tough for woody or tender. It's honey days since bloom, So basically when you get about three or four days past bloom, that ocre should be in your kitchen by that time. Sometimes you have little pods just the plant's stress. They're not growing very fast, and you go, oh, well, that's small enough. No, it's not this, it's not how long does that pod reach? It's it's honey days pass blooe. That's your tender. All right, let's go. We're gonna head straight out to Spring, Texas and talk to Phil.
Speaker 7: Hey, Phil, morning skit. I've got a large morning lovel It's about thirty five feet tall. And during the hurricane, I lost a couple of fairly large branches, so it started dropping leaves and the blooms aren't chilling out stuff like that. Is that pretty normal?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 1: Well, drought itself can cause leaf drop when it goes through periods that are hot and dry, and we're kind of in one now, although I would say it hadn't been hot right long enough to be where we'd worry about drought stress on a krapmer. But that could be a factor to it, you know, the damage that it went through could be a factor in summertime. Unless you give them a lot of water, they can they can start to kind of look like you're describing.
Speaker 9: Well years ago.
Speaker 1: I say it. I'm sorry. Let me just say when I say a lot of water, I don't mean your water in them every day. I mean that they just have a constant adequate supply of moisture as opposed to being allowed to go a love droughty. But go ahead.
Speaker 7: So they're in the irrigation system, which runs two times a week. So what I was going to mention is that a few years ago I made the mistake of printing a thing during the summer and take some large a couple of not real big lands, but fairly large, and it did the same thing. Start, dropped off sleeves and went into high renation sort of, and they came back the next year.
Speaker 1: I've never heard about ruining causing that, so I I don't think that's the I don't think that's a pruning thing, even though it seems to be associated with it when you've done it in the past.
Speaker 7: Okay, well, my question really is is should I go ahead and fertilize this now, which I would usually do.
Speaker 1: You could do that, you sure could. It's it. Uh, you know, it's not going to hurt the planet at all. And if you're lacking nutrients, that is helpful. Typically in the summer, what we're lacking is water. That's the thing we're worried about, uh, and not so much nutrients. But you can provide a little bit of fertilizer. There's some you know, good quality products out there that are designed specifically to make uh with the ratios and stuff that would do best for trees.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, let me let me make one comment about watering film. If you're watering three times a week, that would be too often. If you you give a kripe myrtle a good inch inch and a half of water once a week, that is that should be more than enough, because we're going to wet the soil really deeply and then let it dry out really well, instead of building a very shallow root system with those frequent little squirts of water right at the surface that are not soaking as far in. So you might want to gradually move from three times a week toward once a week by applying a little more water when you apply it.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, well I'll do that, all right, thank you, Buch.
Speaker 1: All right, yes, sir, take care. I've been talking about this weed wiper that I put online. I talk about the last couple of weekends, I believe. But if you haven't heard it yet or seen it yet, you need to go online to my website Gardening with Skip dot com. Gardening with Skip dot Com. There's also two articles on nuts Edge there that I think you will find to be very very helpful, especially the in depth one which helps you understand what you're up against and how to what do they say, know your enemy. You've got to understand how that little creature works so that you can provide good protection for it. Hey, that weed wiper. Questions have come in, Where do I get that little thing with the section cops. Well, they're pretty widely available. I'll tell you where I know you can get them. As a Southwest fertilizer. Bob's got those in stock over there now, and I say that if you'll do a run on it. The next person that shows up you may say it's on order, but seriously, Bob has everything at Southwest Fertilizer, every fertilizer. I talk about every product you could possibly need for insects, diseases, weeds, fertilizing, supplementing plants. They're all there, organic, synthetic, the tools, everything you need, like the little device that you would make your own homemade weed wiper. And go to Gardening with Skip dot com and see what that looks like and then swing by Southwest fertilizer corner of Bis and Nut and Runwick in southwest Houston. Well, I believe it's time for me to take a little break. When we come back, Alex, you'll be our first up. I was talking with Ty Strickland. He's the guy that owns fixed my slab foundation repair. Oh, I guess it is about week and a half, two weeks ago, I believe, And I'm just asking him some questions. One of my daughters is building or purchasing a house over in another part of the state, and there were some issues on the foundation. And I'm telling you that Ty knows it all. He has been doing well. He's been doing it for twenty three years in the Greater Houston area. And you know, when it rains, these soils, these clays here in Houston, they swell up real big and then when it gets dry, they shrink up. That's where you get the big cracks in the backyard and a heavy clay soil. Well, when that happens, it wrecks havoc on foundations and driveways and sidewalks. Ty knows how to go in do an accurate assessment, tell you exactly what's going on and whether you need it to be fixed or not. I'm telling you he is not just out there. Every time he shows up he tells someone they have to hire him to fix something. An honest fella, and he I was talking to him. He says, you know, if if it hasn't changed more than certain such and such amount, then you don't need to mess with it. It's not worth going in to mess with And he'll do that. You call him, You tell him that you're a guardline listener. First of all, that's going to get you a free estimate. Uh So, if you see cracks in your brick, cracks in your sheet rock, if you see doors that if you have doors that are sticking that used to you know, open and close real easily, all signs of potential foundation repair. Don't put it off. Go ahead and give him a call. Two eight one two five five forty nine forty nine two eight one two five five four nine four nine fixmslab dot com. When you call tie and fix my slab, you know they're going to show up on time. You know they're going to give you a fair price, and you know that when they fix it, it's fixed. Right. That is important. Let's head out to Richmond. Texas and talk to Alex. Hello, Alex, thanks you are you? I'm good, sir. How can we help? Hey?
Speaker 11: So, I've been a Virginia buttonweed infestation. Obviously the pre emergent doesn't do anything for it. And with the temperatures where they're right now, is there anything that's spray on it?
Speaker 1: Is it in St? Augustine? Yes, sir? Is your long? You're long? Okay? The best option you've got is called Celsius. It's not cheap, but it is effective and it will work very, very well as far as temperatures. It can go up above ninety, whereas the others once you get in the upper eighties and you cross ninety, it's like you may not want to do that, but this one can. Now, I wouldn't go outside on a ninety five degree day with a sun bacon down right right. Then I'd get up early in the morning and do it while we still have as cool as we're going to be, which is about eighty degrees around here, first thing in the morning, and so go ahead and do it at that time. But it is effective. However, Virginia button weed is a tough one and it's going to take more than one application most likely, so read the Celsius label carefully. You may have to come back a little bit later in the season and hit it again. Very importantly. We'll be next spring when you're first seeing the good growth on Virginia button weed. It temperature is a little bit cooler at that time, and that will be the time to start next year. You have more effective results than you will typically trying to hit it in the middle of summer.
Speaker 11: All right, I'll find some Celsius they need to order online or will the garden center se it.
Speaker 1: You're going to find that as the gardens that you find it. ACE Hardware stores probably too. If you're out there in Richmond Rosenberg area, you've got the plantation ACE. It's not too far away from you out there, and there's some there's a you can got ACE Hardware dot Com and find the store locator if you don't already know where your aces are out in that year. Also coming in from you, you come into Southwest Fertilizer Business and Renwick and they're going to add to you there.
Speaker 11: All right, skipe, I appreciate it, all.
Speaker 1: Right, you take care. Appreciate call very much. Yeah, I feel like I'm becoming a broken record on Celsius. It's not the only product out there that you need to use for weed control. There's a lot of good products, but I tell you, once we hit the summertime, a lot of the things, the Trimex and whatnot, the two forty's, all those kinds of mixes and stuff that are in various products. It's just too hard on your Saint Augustine when it's hot. And the last thing we need is to stress our Saint Augustine trying to kill a weed and then end up will take our root rot infecting it because it got stressed and weakened. And that's how it works. Plants in some ways are like people in that if you don't take care of your body and you don't eat right, and you don't sleep enough, you know, and on and on, you don't exercise at all, you're more likely to get sick. It doesn't mean it will get sick and you won't. You can't get sick if you're healthy. It just means you're more likely to. And there are diseases that are opportunists that they jump onto a weak patient and they're able to move in and take over and take all root rot on Saint Augustine. Is that kind of disease. You can have a perfectly healthy lawn, you go through some drought stress, you apply a herbicide that is not okay to use in the summertime. It weakens your grass and all of a sudden, take all it shows up. Where did it come from? It was there? What had happened? The patient got weak and the disease moved in. The hypoxylan canker on trees causes the bark to fall off and kills trees. Same kind of organism we call those opportunists. I mentioned Ace Hardware, the plantation Ace down there in the Richmond Rosenberg area. There's Ace Hardware's all over. Just go to Acehardware dot com and you'll find the one near you. Congratulations to the folks out at Langham Creek Ace Hardware. Now that's on five twenty nine in Cypress. It's the intersection of Barker Cypress in five twenty nine, So Barker Cypress North south five twenty nine east west. Right there Langham Creek Ace Hardware. They're having their reopening. They opened up and got going and then they did a revamp of the store and now is their reopening. Oh my gosh, listen, you need to do this. It's Friday, August thirtieth. Next Friday, Saturday thirty first, and Sunday the first, next weekend. Okay, I say next. Excuse me, I'm two weekends away. My brain is shifting here anyway, thirtieth, thirty first and first, Why am I telling you about this? Lots of fun activities, vendor demonstrations. They're going to draw for really sweet prizes on There'll be a still discount day on Saturday. If you want still Power equipment, awesome quality brand, they'll have a discount special, really good discount on Saturday, and lots of exclusive deals on many items. Like on Friday, they're given away an Eggo Power Plus straight shaft battery string Treamer two hundred and fifty dollars machine. Given it away. It's part of the giveaway. They'll be demos on Weber grills and on Sunday they're going to give away the Weber Spirit two gas grill four hundred and fifty dollars value and demonstrating the Big Green Egg and other things. Do you see what I'm saying? Fifteen percent off still By the way, on that Saturday, August thirty first, and then on Sunday they're given away a paint, a room makeover, a two hundred dollars value and demoing trigger grills. It's barbecue season. You need to get by. But what a great opportunity, and that is Langham Crease Creek Ace Hardware at the intersection of Barker Cypress and FM five point twenty nine. Let's see here. I'm gonna go now, Janey in Missouri City. Janie, welcome to garden Line. I've got a little bit of time here. See if we can get your call done. If not, well we'll finish it after the noon break on the top of the eye.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I have two questions for you that are sort of related to the burrel storm. I had a degree that was out in my front yard, and of course it was there for a while, and I now have several dead patches, and I used the has to grow laws treatment on it, and I was wondering whether I needed to do more rating to clear up the group they did grasp. I've cleaned out all the leaves as much as I can, and I've had it most several times, and I didn't know what else I could treat that dad area with.
Speaker 1: Okay, is it a bigger irregular area that's dead?
Speaker 2: Well, it's about three feet by three feet?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right, all right, well I'm not gonna be able to fully answer it before I already hear the music plan. You hang on, and when you come back, we'll take that to the next stop. Can you think of anything that happened there other than it just suddenly it died and nothing got spilled or dumped or applied.
Speaker 2: It was where the debris was from virel from my tree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, but nothing else of then? All right, well we'll get right back on it when we come back.
Speaker 9: You hang on, okay, thank you, you bet?
Speaker 1: All right, folks, I'll.
Speaker 12: Just watch you as Welcome.
Speaker 1: Back, Welcome back to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we are here to do what to help you have a more bountiful garden, a more beautiful landscape. All you need to do is give us a call if you wish at seven to one three two one two k t r H. Seven to one three two one two k t r H. If you looked out at your landscape and thought you know it's time to take this thing up a level. It's kind of getting boring here, or it's been boring here. Maybe it's a sea of green right now. Maybe you want to design some outdoor living areas, like a nice hardescape where you could have things like a fountain or like a waterfall, or what like a barbecue pit designed in. Maybe you want landscape lighting. Maybe you got a spot that's soggy wet after a rain and it needs to not be because plants like good drainage. Well, Pierscapes can help you with that. Peerscapes does all all of those things. They can do landscape lighting, They can take a wet spot and dry it out. And by the way, we had all that rain this year, so that ought to tell you where you had places that stay wet too long. Now's a good time it's drying out, and so you know, he can't he can't go out and fix the thing when it's as still a swamp. So this would be a good time to get Pierscapes a call. You can reach Pierscapes a number of ways. The two I would suggest, first of all, go to the website. I just really even if you're not thinking I'm not going to do anything right. Go to the website and check it out pierce scapes dot com. You will get inspiration and ideas and you'll go, oh wow, that would be great in my yard. I could do that absolutely, or give them a call two eight one three, seven oh five zero six zero. Take your landscape to the next level, no matter where you are now, take it up to the next level, or maybe two levels off if you want to go all out piercescapes dot com. I head to let's see, we're going to Magnolia, Texas and talking to Sunday. Now, Hey Sunday, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 9: Thank you, Stiff.
Speaker 13: How are you this morning?
Speaker 1: I'm well, thanks.
Speaker 13: I have two questions. One, my roses are have been losing leaf. I had one that started doing that, so I cut it back and I treated all of them with that bio advanced Rose and flower tear, which is the fertilizer insect control and disease control. I don't see where that did anything. I watered them about twice a week and I still lost leave on probably three of the rose bushes.
Speaker 1: And then okay, well, when when roses do that? First of all, it is a brutal, hot, stressful season for them, so that in and of itself is already giving them a bit of a challenge if you if you add to that either soil that is too wet or that is too dry, you know, go through a little drought, or you keep it too wet or nature keeps it too wet, you can also have some you know, significant issues with them doing the kinds of symptoms you're describing right there. So I would, you know, I would say probably just watch the soul moisture. First of all. A little nutrients are always important for roses, but right now I would hold off on that, especially if you've done any kind of fertilizing before, and if you use the biodvents that has fertilizer in it, mostly phosphorus, but it's got fertilizer in it.
Speaker 13: All right, okay? And should I just leave them alone, or should I boyhead cut out the dead stalks and cut them back, or should I just wait?
Speaker 1: I you know, generally with my roses, I'll at the end of August do a shearing back on them, and then I'll water them and fertilize them to get a boost of new growth. Because October is an awesome rose month and to start getting that new shoots growing. You could do that same thing in September if you want to early September, if you want to do it at that time, but you want to get new growth because every time you get a new shoot, the roses will form on the end of a new shoot. Okay, so the more when you cut them back and where you had one shoot, now it sprouts into two, you just double the amount of roses that you can have on that plant. Does that make sense?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 13: What fur launch er?
Speaker 9: Do you suggest anything on them?
Speaker 1: I think whether there's a number of good ones. Are you particularly interested in organic or synthetic or what?
Speaker 13: I don't have particular Okay, well.
Speaker 1: There are how many roses do you have? By the way, I mean roughly? What do we talk about, like about twelve? Okay, well you can I was going to say, you can go and purchase you know, Nitroposs and Nelson both have a high quality rose foods that are available in little canisters and you can sprinkle that around and water it in and it will it will do the job for you. Now, twelve roses, that's quite a bit for a little canister. You may want to buy something in a little larger bag because roses are something we do fertilize more than once through the season because again vigor equals more ballooms, and so we are feeding them regularly. But you are let's see, you're up in the magnolia Yeah, up in the Magnolia area. Yeah, I can come down your coat.
Speaker 12: Well.
Speaker 1: Arbrogate has a rose food and the other thing. In fact, they've got there. They're one two three completely easy system at Arburgate. That's a soil, a compost, and a fertilizer. The fertilizer in that has a really good ratio roses. So that would be Arbigate's one two three easy system. They call it Organic Soil Complete, Organic compost complete, and organic food complete. It's organic food complete one. But get that bag. You want to sprinkle it around your roses, follow the label and scratch it into the soil and then water it in real well, okay, because it's an organic, it's going to be microbially broken down, so you need good moist soil around those particles and it will go to town. It's an excellent fertilizer for that.
Speaker 13: That's what I want okay, wonderful, Thank you very much. I've noticed my oaks in the front bark have started to lose some leaves. Not a lot, but I've noticed some leaf dropping. Is it because of the heat and because they are because they need more water? Sorry, that's my.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear that like those I'm sorry, that's okay. The you said it was a live oak, Is that what you said?
Speaker 13: I don't know. I've got I've got three oaks out there. I don't know what kind they are, but I know.
Speaker 9: They're oak tree.
Speaker 1: Got you. Well, I gotta I gotta run a break, but so real quick. A good soaking on an infrequent basis will be fine, but you can also have some transitioning of leaves. What I'm gonna put you on hold, my producer will pick it up, and I want you to send me a photo of that so I can see exactly what you got. Okay, uh, sorry, thank you, But let me look at the photo and then I'll on the oaks and i'll comment. All right, folks, time for a break. We'll be right back. Have you with us today. We are we're talking about all kinds of things gardening, and we are in the big middle of your calls as we try to help you have a more bountiful garden, more beautiful landscape. One way that you can have a more bountiful and beautiful garden and landscape is Medina Hast Supergrow Plus. Now Medina's got a has to grow line. There's regular has to grow, has to grow for lawns, which is a great product to use on your lawns. This is Supergrow Plus, another great product for the lawn This one's kind of unique. It's a sixteen zero two fertilizer. A one court bottle hooks up to a garden hose. Covers about four thousand square feet, so you can ten minutes drag a hose around your yard and you're done. You've applied your fertilization too. It's got part of the nitrogen is in a slow release form. It also has seaweed extract, it's got molassets, it's got humic acid in it. Just a very very high quality product that does cause the plants to respond positively. Some people, in fact, don't just use it for their lawns, they'll spray their gardens with it. A flowers, You got a little plant that's sitting there, kind of needs a little boost. We'll just squared it with some of the has to grow Supergrow plus. I bet you are going to see a very good response from it, especially if it's related to a lack of nutrients in the soil. Is from Medina, just another one of the many good products that you will find with Medina. We're going to head out now to southwest Houston and I'm going to talk to Maxie.
Speaker 14: Hello, Maxi, Hi, good morning. My question is about powdery mildew. I have a saucer magnolia. It's never gotten very tall because it's planted in clay, and it had lots and lots of leaves and a few buds. But I have powdery mildew every year. Last year I used a more popular spray, didn't affect the powdery mildew, didn't affect the plant. This year, I got a different one and I sprayed it and most of the leaves, probably eighty percent of the leaves fell off. Now it has new leaves at the bottom. So what shall I do about my powdery mildew?
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me again the plant that we're talking about.
Speaker 14: It's locals call it tulip tree, and I think Okay, scientifically sauc or magnolia.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so yeah, I know what you're about. Okay, Well, that one we got it on its southern the southern end of where it wants to live. You can grow them here, but we're now on the low end. So hot weather. Hot weather will cause the edges of the leaves to tips of the leaves to brown and shrivel and curl up. And if it's enough, if you throw a little drought in with it, you can you can get some significant damage. The powdery mildey will also cause that damage, as you've seen on that I would There are a number of different products that you can use for it. There is an ingredient called beylaton b A y L E t O n b A y l l Okay. That is a fungicide ingredient that works pretty well. And Maxie, you are just a hop skipping a jump away from Southwest fertilizer on biss and ut and run. And I guarantee that has probably several types. Yeah, he's got several types of beilaton. You can just tell him. You talk to me on guardline and and that, uh, you got powdery mildew. And I was suggesting he has that's not the only ingredient that will control powdery mildew, but it is systemic into the planet a little bit, so that it's not just a surface thing that washes off with the next rain, and it'll give you a little bit longer term control. I would suggest that one. I mean, I could recommend other things, but I think that would be the one i'd start with in your situation on that particular plant.
Speaker 14: Well, do do you think it's a little weird that I sprayed the plant and all the leaves sail off? I mean, it was perfectly healthy except a little powdery mill down do especially down the veins.
Speaker 1: It could have been coincidental, but it could have been. I don't want to accuse you anything because I don't know how you mixed it, but you know, it could have been.
Speaker 14: Oh what didn't just to spray?
Speaker 1: Just to spray, it's like a hose end.
Speaker 14: No, not oppose, it's just.
Speaker 7: Just the.
Speaker 1: Oh was it labeled for use on plants?
Speaker 14: Yes, sir, for my okay, I'm just checking and sure, okay, yes.
Speaker 1: Just because I listen, I've had people spray things that basically it was like putting gasoline.
Speaker 14: Oh, yeah, no, Dand I thought about soap. I do have a soap that the plants love as long as it didn't have it on the leavest after it's treated.
Speaker 1: Well the thing. Yeah, and don't do soaps now when you put soap out on a hot sunny day, you can burn the hack out of with that as well. I don't know, I mean it could it could have been the product. But you know, products that are labeled for something, they're designed, but they ought to have a warning on the label. But uh, it could have been could have been the on a day you put it on, and it could have just been coincidental that I don't know, for whatever reason, you happen to spray on the day that this problem was going to hit.
Speaker 14: But it's hard to be happy to go to Southwest Fertilizer. I love selflest fertilizer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know you too, I do too. It's one stop shopping, isn't it?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: Maxie, thanks for the call much Bye you bet you take care bye bye.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Those of you who still haven't gotten around to having your trees looked at in terms of any needed pruning for summer, you know, summer's the storm season. And I don't just mean hurricanes, although that certainly is a big deal. Anytime you have a storm, if you're if you've got narrow branch angles, if you've got trees that have been poorly trained or pruned, they need to be looked at. And Affordable Tree, Affordable Tree Martin spoon More is our go to person for tree care here on Guardline. Martin is he's been doing this for a long time. He knows what he's doing. But I'm telling you I can't express enough the importance of proper tree care coming into the storm season. From the time you plant a tree until whatever day it is that you're looking at that it could be thirty years later. From that time, you want to make sure that tree was trained and pruned properly and right. Because you get people that don't know what they're doing. They run it and there's no refixing it. You know, they can get turn somebody loose with the chainsaw. It doesn't know what they're doing, and you got a problem in your hands. Martin spoon More Affordable Tree Service can do it right. Seven one three, six, nine nine twenty six sixty three seven one three, sixty nine nine two six sixty three, or go to aff Tree service dot com. When you call affordable Tree, you're going to talk to Martin or his wife Joe. The owners answer the phone. If you talk to anybody else, just hang up. You've called the wrong Affordable Tree seven one three six nine nine two six sixty three. We're going to head out now to Highland area, I believe, is that right? Are we talking to Houston? Oh?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I wanted a question about you Beheo grass. I've got a loan that's infested with beheo. Is there a herbicide that's specifically for herb bo gray?
Speaker 1: There are some that are pretty effective against it, and I believe one called man or m A n O R. I'm want check that just to make sure don't get a lot of beheo grass calls. Huh didn't show up here to find it here in a second. But the getting bigger. Yeah, it's a tough grass. I mean it can take you know, it can take the drought. So it's a disease that I mean a weed that it is a challenge to be able to deal with. I understand that. Uh yeah, it's it's called the ingredient. And do you have a pan or pencil handy. Yeah, let me see here. It's met sulfur on methyl and I'm gonna I'm gonna spell that out because there are other herbicides that have met sulfur on methyl in them. Now, they're not going to be cheap, I can tell you that, but this is a unique situation. One of them is called ms M turf. But here's the ingredient m E T s u L. If you are O N met sull f on. If you are O N methyl U and one of the ones would be ms M turf.
Speaker 12: Now you.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know your area of that well to know where where to send you. If you got an ACE hardware store on they may be able to they may have that, they may be able to get it for you. Uh I would, all right, well I would, I would try that. But it's not a super super common thing. So mm hmm. But will it killed? Is that it makes stand with it? No? No, But you have to be careful and want and read the label carefully because that is one that you know during certain kinds of weather conditions and issues, and we were real careful with it. Uh. So don't just get in a hurry, but it does kill bhagrass, and it is labeled. It is labeled for for use if you it is but that, but remember this, and I just have to give these caveats because it doesn't matter. A product can be labeled for use on a plant, but if you misuse it, you still hurt that plant. So it doesn't mean that it won't it can't hurt the planet. It just means, yeah, the other thing you need, Yeah, the other thing you need to be careful with is uh, don't overapply it and then watered in real good on around root zones of trees and shrubs, which is basically the whole yard. But if you get it down in the roots, it can do damage. Not kill the whole tree necessarily, but do damage to trees and shrubs. So this is a specialized product with special caveats. But follow that label carefully and it will do the job on the pail for you. Thank you much, all right, sir, you take care. Appreciate that time for us to take a little break here top or for the half hour news. I'll be right back at seven one three two one two k t RH Welcome back to garden Line, Glad to have you with us. We are looking forward to talking to you about the kind of questions you have, the kind of things you're interested in. You know, we love feed stores here on Guarden Line and down in League City. You've got a great one. League City Feed has been around for forty years now, and it's the kind of place you go in. It's that old time feed store that carries your products to you to the car, your bags or whatever you need carried out to the car. It's the kind that's going to have all the fertilizers you hear me talk about on Guardline. If I say, well here, if it's on my schedule, you know, here's one. They're going to have it there. It also is a place where you're going to find pest disease and weed management products and quality pet foods as well. League City Feed is on Highway three, a few blocks south of Highway ninety six. So on Highway three a few blocks south. So if you're in League City, just head south on three. It's not very far blow Highway ninety six. So all of those communities out there, Santa Fe and Dickinson and Lamar and Baycliffe, Clear Lake City, all of those this is your hometown feed store. They are going to have a wide variety. Also, they're gonna have some soils like heirloom soils, superquality airloom soils as well. They've got backyard chickens. They can get you fixed up on that as well. League City Feeds open Monday through Saturday nine to six, closed on Sunday, so any day of the week I have to work on the way home, you can swing by there and grab what you need. Two eight one three three two sixteen twelve two eight one three three two sixteen twelve for League City feed I was earlier talking about going on vacation and take care of your plants, you know, making sure they have adequate water. Also taking care of the birds and being ready for that. You know, it's always a good time to put down mulch as well. Now most people don't think about, oh, I'm about to go up and hike the rocky mountains. I think I'll stop and put mulch down first. Well, when you have sunlight hitting the soil, nature plants weeds. And when nature plants weeds, you get to pull the weeds up or hold them. I'll hold them off if you need to do that, but nobody wants to do that. I mean, ninety five degrees outside sun, bacon down fire, it's crawling up your arms. You don't be pulling weeds out there. Put down maltch. Put in a quality thick layer of mulch about three inches. It depends on the density of the mults. You know, if you get something real chunky and loose, you're gonna have to put a little thicker. If you had something that's very dense, not much space between the particles as compared to a big old chunky malts, then you wouldn't have to go as deep, but about three inches. As a good general rule of thumb, I use all kinds of things that basically are organic based as mulches. We've got some super high quality mulches here in the Greater Houston area. You got folks like Nature's Way that produces a beautiful mult Up there in the Conroad direction, we've got airloom soils out Porter direction produces a super high quality mult Landscaper's Pride produces good quality mulches for you. It's not hard to find and equality mulch, but we've got to use it. It's an inexpensive way to save yourself a lot of work, and I would highly recommend you do that. We're going to go back out to the phones now and talk to Hank in West U. Hello Hank, and welcome to garden Line. Hello, Skip, how are you? I'm good, sir, awesome, So I got your.
Speaker 16: Excellent good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as you can tell, I've got what.
Speaker 17: I think are some fairly common shrubs. The builder put these in like seventeen years ago, and I've never had any problems with them until recently. And now they're getting these you know, portions that are just turning their dying and turning white.
Speaker 1: I'm hoping they'll be able. That's right. I stop the spread of that well. So that shrub brow is a series of individual shrubs. So wherever a branch is attached to a plant that is having the problem, those branches are going downhill. What I see is the completely loss of color, that dead that you described that as white, that tan color dead is gone. But next to it is a branch that is going It is on its way down. I would dig that plant up. It's not coming back to life. Pull it up and gets try to get roots. As you pull it up a little bit and look at those roots and see what you see. You might see roots that look like the Michelin man, all bumpy and naughty, and you know, like a string of pearls. Sometimes along a roote little knives instead of a normal root look. And that is nematodes. That is a possibility there. You may see on the stem splits at the bottom or other things that are the sign of a canker disease that is killing those I can't tell you what is doing it. I can tell you things that could be doing it, which I just did. But I can tell you this. It is a root problem or possibly a base of the stem problem. That what you're seeing something is preventing the flow of water nutrients up into the shrub.
Speaker 16: Okay, and you think by removing that section of the bush it will it could help prevent it from continuing on to the other well shrugs.
Speaker 1: If if it's root related, that no, that won't it. Nematodes You're not going to get them out of the soil, and they will spread over time. They tend to make plants less efficient. It's not like a nematoad gets on it and the whole plant dies. It's like it's think of it as like ticks on a dog. If you will, I mean two texts is not going to kill a dog. But if you just were completely in festivtext that would be too much of a drain and and take the health of the of the target organism down. So it could be that it could also be there's a root rot that uh, the last thing I want you to do. If you don't see not on the roots, if you don't see splits in the stem, then take your knife a sharp knife could be a box cutter blade, and slice down through the stem vertically like you're splitting the stem, not cutting into it, straight into it, but the direction parallel with the stem. And look for strips of brown and the tissues that should be creamy white underneath. That is the fungal disease. Once you find one of those, let me know and we can tell you what you can or can't do. Some things there's nothing you can do. Some things you can't.
Speaker 16: In the case of nematodes, is there something that I could sprinkle on the you know, near their base of the shrubs?
Speaker 1: Yeah, not really. There are products that have claims to be nomaticidal. We don't have a silver bullet for nematodes. There's things you're keeping the soil extra moist so the plants don't struggle because the nematodes are making them inefficient and taking up water. There are some products you can water into the soil. I have not had one yet that I noticed really worked. I'm not saying none of them do, but jury's out. Let me leave it that way. The jury's out on those, and I don't think you're going to find the magical cure you're looking for.
Speaker 9: You got it all right?
Speaker 1: Well, let me let me take your advice.
Speaker 16: I'll check the roots out and see if I can determine what it may be and give you a heart.
Speaker 1: Take pictures along the way so that if you do get back to me on this email you can you can show me what you saw. Thanks a lot, I appreciate, Hank. I'll do a call. Good luck with getting to the bottom of that one. Let's see here. It's time for me to take a little break. When we come back, Dwayne, you will be our first up, so just hang in there and our phone number is seven one three one two K t R H. If you'd like to give us a call. Here glad you're with us today. We're going to head back out to the phone calls right away. Uh, and we'll start with Dwayne. Hello, Dwayne, Welcome to guarden Line.
Speaker 18: Good morning, Skip, a longtime listener, first time caller. I have for the last several years, most probably ten years, been growing Eastern screech owls in the front yard in an owl box. And I built a handbuilt box in the backyard for the rooster to set in during the day so the other birds wouldn't catch him. Well, a couple of years ago I U the bees swarmed and they got in this owl box. Last week they're trimming the power lines at the back of the fence here, and of course they didn't trim that particular tree. I need someone there to come rescue these bees and give them a good home. Do you have any recommendations?
Speaker 1: Oh? Boy, I would. I think I would call bee supply out in a date and hang on one second.
Speaker 18: I didn't look at then, but that's a pretty good drive if they turned in decline. Do you have any second chances there?
Speaker 1: Well, what they could do is they could probably tell you who could do it. If they can't.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: The phone number is nine three six seven six o seven three nine nine three six seven seven six oh seven three nine. You know that for those of you listening that don't know what I'm talking about here, this isn't a company that their job is to come out and get these. It's there a B supply company. They have all the equipment stuff, but they're going to be the ones that are in the know. The website is the b supply dot com. Where are you located, Duean.
Speaker 18: I'm here inside the lupp here on Buffalo speed Boy and I did look at their site and he does have some impressive videos and know the different types the yeahlum No Corona, the Texas flight thousand and something. I was looking just last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Also, uh, just give for his liability if I get another bee hive on my back. That's who is something? What is the liability issues? The wife is just hysterical about one of the mowers getting beast under something like that or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I understand you're talking to you. No, talk to Paul Paul Fagala at the Bee Supply. He can tell you and tell you all about those kind of issues like people that want to put a beehive in the backyard and they're in a neighborhood. Can you do it? And answer is basically us, but he's more the expert on that. Also, if you have trouble finding someone local, called the Harris County Extension officeye agra Life Extension Office in Harris County. Uh, they the horticulture folks there should have access to a list of people that might be willing to come out and capture a wild hive or kill a wild hive, whichever you need to go about it. But that would be that would be my answer number three. And so I'll eat one one way or another. You can get this under control.
Speaker 18: Well, it's an easy rescue. All they've got to do is click the wires and there the box. It's ready to go. It's just they're busy this morning and this heat. They're outside and it looks really like it's something out of a horror movie because the bees are outside. No, they're just cooling to hide down. Yeah, so I will give a bee supes I called there.
Speaker 1: I do appreciate it, thanks, sir, appreciate you very much. Let's see where are we going next? Uh, do a quick check on time we're going to go to Katie and talk to Mark. Hello, Mark, good morning.
Speaker 19: I was watering my yard this week and I noticed a bunch of tiny tan moths, and my memory tells me that might be a sign that I'm going to get sid webworms.
Speaker 1: Is that correct?
Speaker 9: And if so, what do I do about it?
Speaker 1: Well, sid webworms, before you see all the grass being eaten, do appear as little moths When you walk across the lawn. They come flying up out of the lawn. They just go a little bit and then they settle back down into the lawn.
Speaker 7: But yeah, they are.
Speaker 1: One of one hundred different moths that could be out there doing that. So just because you see moths doesn't mean you have side web worms. There is some good information. In fact, I tear what I'm gonna I'm gonna post something online to our Facebook page. This week, I name and put it on the website about side webworms and what to do if I were you go out at night, get your little flashlight, get out on the hands and knees and anywhere you see grass blades being eaten, and they chew the sides of grass blades, They just chew them up. But they're nocturnal. The caterpillars are nocturnal, and you don't want to spray until you know you have sid webworms be unnecessary. But when you do, then you can put an appropriate insecticide spray down and shut them down. You're a store out there, and Katie, they're going to have a lot of different options for side web or.
Speaker 19: A very cool things.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I will get something if I get it up on my website, I'll announce it on the air here. But that that's something we need to do. But it's time, it's the season when if we're going to happen, you'll have them, but don't don't pull the trigger too quick until you know you've got them.
Speaker 19: Okay, But is it a spray and that's something granular that you apply.
Speaker 1: There there are granulars that insecticides, you know, the nitroposs bug out is a granular. Then you wet the lawn and it washes off, the granule gets downe and that it's real good for chinch bugs. It will kill side web worms. But a lot of time there are in the thatch during the day and then they go out and eat on the leaves. So another approach is to spray the foliage of the grass. The grass weeds, and when they come up and eat that, it gets them directly. So there's there's more than one way to go about controlling them. But on my online have you ever looked at my lawn care schedules online by any chance? Yes?
Speaker 9: I have.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the lawn cair is of course fertilizing the other one pest control. It lists when side web worms tend to attack, if they attack this year, and it has the products at the bottom that are all the ones you would use to control them.
Speaker 19: Okay, great, I'll go look at that again.
Speaker 1: All right, you take care. Thanks a lot, appreciate that. Thank you very much. I'm having trouble getting my trouble getting my mouth to work here. Hey, for those of you who are out on the west side of town, your hometown garden center, your absolute destination, mom and pop independent garden center, you need to go to Nelson Water Gardens and Nursery, nursery and water gardens. They're in Katie. You go out to Katie, you turn north on Katie Fort Ben Road, and you almost throw a rock and hit Nelson Water Nursery and water Gardens. From there. Of course, they have nursery plants, they've got outstanding selection and a lot of great deals right now. You know, this is a time of the year when you can pick up some really good deals and they are loaded up on some things that save a dollar and get you some quality plants. Bring them home, take care of them. You can plan them now, you can wait and plant them in the fall. If you want to hold on to them and water, it's up to you. Kind of like I was talking about my situation where I don't have the beds ready yet. Well I got the plants. They're just waiting to go into the beds. They have beautiful water gardens supplies. I mean, do you want them to come out and create a waterfall or one of those disappearing fountains where the water just circulates through the beautiful glazed pottery back into the rocky pebbles and things below it back into the plant the fountain again, I can't even talk. They've got that. They invented that. By the way, if do you want to do it yourself, they can sell you the stuff you need to do it yourself and tell you how to do it if you want to go that route. But I'll tell you they have an excellent plant selection every time I go there, I'm surprised. Oh, I didn't know you had that. And they're just they just do first rate job. And summer is houseplant season in the sense of we spend more time inside because of the heat. You should see in the foyer when you walk right into the store. Look at the houseplants. For me, I mean it is beautiful. I like something other than just green, and they have it. They've got a lot of irrigations and colors and things and house plants that you can choose. Nelson Watergarden and Nursery, Nelson Watergardens dot com, Nelson Watergardens dot Com. Out there in Katie Well, I hear the music playing, which means I need to quit talking and we need to go to copy our of the break bill in spring. You are our first caller when we come back from break and we'll go to you first. I just want to remind you about my website, Gardening with Skip dot Com. There you'll find information on controlling nut set a brand new publication, two of them. As a matter of fact, you'll find information on how to build a weed wiper so that you can control weeds and hard to get spots. You just need to go check it out. I think people like what you're saying.
Speaker 20: That orse any of the products or services advertised on this program.
Speaker 21: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Skip Richter's.
Speaker 1: Just watch him as.
Speaker 12: So many good things to see back again again.
Speaker 22: They're not a sound.
Speaker 16: The side.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, Welcome back to guard Line. Glad you are still with us this morning. We've got a lot to talk about. There is plenty plenty to be talking about right now. Uh last hour, we're talking about a product called bug Out Max by Nitrophoss, and you know we're discussing I think the call was about sod web worms being a possible problem going on in that lawn. You know, this is a season when chinchbugs and sod web worms both are gonna be appearing. If they're going to appear in your lawn, and so it's it's the time they like the biggest population. There's several generations of chinchbugs through the course of the summer seat and the first one very very small. But then when you have the second one, or in some areas even a third, that's when you start to see the long brining out and you got big problems and that's when you need to step in very quickly. So you got a spot in your lawn and it looks like it needs water, and you water and it doesn't get better. Get on your hands and knees, part the part the grass and look for a little black and white bugs about an eighth of an inch long. You go on line and see what they look like. But if you got chinchbugs, you need to treat sooner rather than later because they kill grass. We have a lot of problems in our grass that don't kill the grass, but chinchbugs kill the grass and they only get worse, and you got to step in soon. And night Fruss bug Out Max is designed to do just that. It goes down it's granules, they go down into the thatch area. Then you water it and the insecticide comes off of those granules and it's now present out in the thatch. So stuff crawling around in the thatch that would be the side web worms in the in the daytime, they hide down there and they come out at night, and the chinch bugs are down there all the time. And that is going to be an effective product. When you use nightro Vous bugout Max, you're going to have success in getting those under control, and you can find Night of Fuss bug Out Max. You can find in a lot of places. Ace Hardware and Sinkle Ranch carries that particular product, a tascaseda Ace on Timber Forest Drive carries it. Lake Hardware and Clute and Jim's Hardware up in Montgomery, they both are all carry Night Fuss Bug Out Max. I'm going to head now to Bill in Spring, Texas. Hello, Bill, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 23: Good morning Skip. I have a question about a high biscus that I just repotted. It was doing very well and it has blooms on it like crazy, But the blooms are not opening up. They just come to top look like they're going to open, and then they just fall off and die. What did I do?
Speaker 1: Hmm, that's very interesting. Uh, nothing you did? I think you may be we may be looking at some insect feeding inside. There's a thing called threaps that can feed inside flowers and cause problems. I've not I have a tropical hibiscus and I have not had problems with them not opening up. Sometime they will abord a bloom if they go through a stress. If you have like are these in containers bill in the ground in contain. Okay, so in a container. Yeah, mine's in a container too, And I've got mine. I had it in an area that was just the full brunt of the western sun for hours and hours, and I moved it to a little more protected spot because I couldn't watered enough to keep that container so adequately moist, and just even a temporary little drought period there, they'll they'll abort bloom. So you may be looking at that. You may be looking at a little insight called thrips. If you get some blooms that you know, okay, this one is gonna open, but it's you know, it hadn't turned brown or hadn't started dying yet. Just take it and kind of put it over a white piece of paper and just tap the bloom and see what falls out. If you see some little, tiny, skinny, scrawny things that are hopping around down in there, that is thrips. And they can affect ballooms. Generally, they don't cause a hibiscus bloom to abort, though I think it's more of a water problem.
Speaker 23: Okay, all right, Well that I've read some about some cage and high biscus and they're done excellent. This is just a regular gorgeous yes. And but it's said in there that high biscus like to be root bound. And I'm just wondering if it's maybe because I just repotted that into a large your pot.
Speaker 1: Well, that it's more of a thing where plants like bouba and villia is one that we say needs to be a little or does better when routebount. It's just because you get them in a big, luxurious growing soil and they just go vegetative and you know, buy them settling in and blooming better.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And so I think, no, you're you're repotting it unless you lost some roots in the repotting. Maybe they dried out because you can get it in the new container fast enough, or you didn't get it watered in real good or something. That's all gonna fix itself. Just just start providing good soakings on regular bases. Maybe a little boost of fertilizer wouldn't hurt. And I think it's going to turn around for you.
Speaker 23: All right, Well, thank you, apprechie.
Speaker 1: All right, yeah, yes, sir, thank you for the call. I appreciate that. Bye bye, uh Landscaper's Pride is a company I mentioned them earlier as a company that's those quality soil and maltz products. And you know, summer's the time to have mulching, and they've got all kinds of mulches. They've got, you know, cedar molt, Cyprus molts, they ground hardwood mulches, and pine bark malts are most popular one and more. But they also have high quality soil mixes. Gardener's Magic is an organic pine based blend. It's got humis in it, screened pine composted rice holts and a chicken pellet fertilizer gives you about three months feeding with that. It's ideal for raised beds and you can use it in containers and it does super well too. Mushroom Compost is regionally sourced, as are their other products, and it's composted with age pine and it Mushroom compost is just rocket fuel to give plants a boost to get them going healthy. Soil compost is made with one recycled composted plant material. It's got a neutral pH and it just is an excellent product in general for amending and improving any soil. And then black humus, dark and organic mixed. It's compassed at Pineburg based, very very nicely screened. It's got a loamy topsoil in it which helps hold water in the soil. It's good for putting in a new bed or really most any gardening situation you're looking at. And all that's from Landscaper's Pride. Widely available products. You can go online Landscaperspride dot com and find out where you can get them. But I'll just tell you this. It's a lot of places widely available here in the Greater Houston area. Let's end out now. I'll tell you what before before we do, Curtis, I was about to move to you. I've got to run to it. I'm up against a break here. I'll be right back and you'll be first up. You can put on your lawns. It has a good boost of nitrogen and stimulates biological activity. Sweegering Sweegering for Nait Fross is an example of that kind of product. It's got eleven percent nitrogen. It is on a molasses based molasses based so organic gardeners know you put molasses on the soil well. That carbon is rocket fuel for stimulating beneficial microbial development. For example, bacteria. Beneficial bacteria in the soil feed on that carbon and it really kicks them into high gear. Nitrofoss. Sweet Green is available widely all over the Houston area, as are other night foss products. You're going to find it at Shades of Texas up in the woodlands, for example, Enchanted Gardens out there in Richmond. Rosenberg is going to carry that one also, as well as to Fishers Hardware, the one in southeaston on Southmore, the one over and Laporte on South Broadway Street. Both of those Fishers Hardware, you're going to find night foss products like sweet Green. Let's go to the phones and we're going to now go to Friends Wood and talk to Curtis. Hello Curtis, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 9: Good morning, Skip. I have a my home has been raised and I have now have a crawl space under it and the surrounding wall is a cement block with a sixteen by eight inch vents in it, and one of those vents has been knocked out and apparently the possums and raccoons have decided that's a nice place to move in.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure they appreciate you creating that spot for them.
Speaker 9: Well, I want to close it back off, but I don't want to close it off with them in there and have them die and the smell and everything else. Is there any suggestions for getting them out of there, knowing that they're out of there before I seal it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a that's a good question. Boy. I don't know how you would know they're not in there. I guess you know, if you if you had something like a little board that they had to push over to come out through that hole, if you put the board up at night then or or during the day, then maybe you could see that they had knocked it down and gone through or something. But there could be more than one, and that wouldn't that wouldn't really do the trick.
Speaker 9: Well, I've set up a game camera and I've seen two raccoons and one possum come out of there.
Speaker 1: Okay, huh. And how big is this area underneath there?
Speaker 9: Well, it's under the whole house two thousand square.
Speaker 1: Feet oh okay, the whole nine yards Okay. Yeah. Other than having somebody go under there and check, which is going to be a task, right, I would I don't no way to tell you to know if they're out or not. Uh. There is a publication on possum control uh that's available on the agro Life Learn website. It's Agrolife Learn one word A E G R I L I F E L E A R n uh and basically what they are going to recommend in that publication it's free. By the way, I'm sorry I started to give you the website and I didn't finish. Agrolife Learn dot T A m U which stands for Texas A and M University dot E E d U which stands for education.
Speaker 21: Uh.
Speaker 1: So agro Life Learning now that what they're going to tell you basically is, uh, live trapping, you know things like that. The problem is you you have to put them into another get them out of there and into another area. So that can be a little bit interesting when you've got an upset possumer raccoon and one of those like have a art live traps.
Speaker 9: But if I if I trap some, the city will come and take them, Oh will they Okay, yeah, the relocates into one of the one of the parks.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well that's what I would do.
Speaker 24: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, they're they're going to come to various kinds of baits any pretty much any type of food. If you use fruit like apple, pear, banana in the bait, you don't tend to get like a dog or cat that goes into that trap. So that that's one way to kind of interest the possum without interesting the the neighborhood pets.
Speaker 9: Okay, I understand that's good to suggest.
Speaker 1: All right, okay, yeah, unless, well, I'm not going to say that on the air. I'm sorry. I was about to say.
Speaker 9: No, I'm not going to shoot him.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I wasn't gonna say that. No, We're gonna look, I'm gonna I know how to quit when I'm behind. Hey, Curtis, thank you, thank you for the call. Good luck getting those possums under control. Boy, that is hilarious. Uh let's go now to Paarland and we're gonna talk to Archie. Hey, Archie morning, Skip.
Speaker 25: I'm gonna put out some fertilizer today and it's gonna be organic. But I've got bags of Microlife sixty four and I've also got bags of Microlife Humates plus. Which do you think would be better to put out today?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 1: Have you used Teammates plus this year yet? No? No, Okay, I would, I would do both because they do different things. He makes it. Yeah, both. The sixty four is your organic basic three one two fertilizer that is outstanding and works very very well. I would, I would do that. Uh. The the humates plus has a little potassium in it. But your primer it's it's like hunt compost concentrated into a bag. It's you know, you can take a big old chunk of leaves and tournamented composts, and you can take that big old chunk of composts and you turn it into humans and now you got very little of it because it's the final decomposition process. So that's something you put out periodically just to add the humus to the soil, just to improve slowly over time soil condition down there in the lawn. So it think of it as separate from fertilizing. It's kind of a different purpose. Although the purpose of both is to make your lawn nice and healthy. It's working a little bit in a different way. So you can use them both and there's not an overlap issue there.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 25: I did put some as of mind out earlier in the summer, back in early June.
Speaker 1: That's okay, right, and that would give you some of the micro nutrients, which is good. Sounds like you're doing a lot of good things there, got a lot of great.
Speaker 25: Product as long as my energy holds up.
Speaker 1: All right. My neighbor has the same problem.
Speaker 25: The lady call this morning about where he had a bunch of fencing that was down and he piled up the fencing and the city just picked it up yesterday. But I mean, the little grass looks dead where it's been there for weeks land land there. If if he if he sprays that area with like something like the has to grow, would that be good?
Speaker 1: Uh, well, if he's got living grass runners in that area, that would be good. If it's truly all dead, you got to get the plants in there to apply the has to grow to, meaning you got and get it ridded in.
Speaker 25: Yeah, it looks mushy to me, you know, kind of just yellow.
Speaker 1: It could be mushy. Yeah, that yellow and mushy is all. It's all. Okay, Just get down on your hands and knees, look at the runners and if the runners have some green to them, then they're going to resprought foliage and you'll be back in business in time, and that has to grow would be a very hast I would use the Hast grow for lawns or the super supergrow. You could use that. There's nothing wrong with using it. But the hods is going to have a three one. It's gonna have a fertilize boost. Okay, Well that's what I got you can use. I'm just telling you what the has to grow for lawns. You're getting the fertilization, all right, address to the other.
Speaker 25: But I had an extra you know, container of that. I was just gonna get it to them so I could put it out there.
Speaker 1: Anywhere you got plants, you can use it. That's okay, that's for sure. All right, Thanks so much. Good you had. Thanks Arch appreciate that a lot. Uh yeah, a lot of good has to grow products and other products from Medina.
Speaker 26: Uh.
Speaker 1: When was the last time you're up at Plants for All Seasons? I was visiting with Sherry and Kelly at the Texas Nurcery and Landscape Association show just the other day. Boy, I teya that Plants for All Seasons is the kind of garden center where you go in to get all kinds of quality plants, quality products to help boost those plants like fertilizers and incredible advice. And so you walk in there. You got a bag, you got a picture, some plant, this is dying. What's this bug? Here's a weed? How do I kill it? Whatever your question is, walk in there, because they know what they're talking about. The min arounds is nineteen seventy three. They're right there, just north of Luetta on FM two forty nine, which is Tomball Parkway, Tomboll Parkway. And you go in there and you're going to find the quality and the help. By the way, too, that you need to have success. That is very very important. And Plants for All Seasons dot Com is the website. Plants for All Seasons dot Com. That's the website. And then what is the phone number? Seven excuse me two eight one three seven six sixteen forty six one three seven six sixteen forty six. It's as simple as that. Plants for All Seasons dot Com. I was love going by there and visiting with them because they are a wealth of information. By the way, they've got tomato plants, all kinds of good quality ones, you know, like sun gold for example, the beautiful old cherry yellow cherry tomato they've got beautiful foliage plants beautiful, but goona. It's just all kinds of things. There's always something that you need to be planting from plants for all seasons, every month of the year. Head out there, check them out. You are listening to Garden Line and we're here to help you have more success in whatever you're trying to grow. If you want to give us a call seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four, you can get on the board with Chris and you can be the first up when we come back from break, which we're about to head to in just one moment. I want to remind you of something coming up or tell you about something coming up. The second Annual Strawberry Jamboree is going to be down in Lake Jackson, Texas at the Lake Jackson Civic Center. It'll be September twenty first, from eight to twelve. September twenty first, from eight to twelve. There are everything you want to know about success with strawberries is going to be in that program and you need to be doing the planting. In October there'll be the opportunity to order some strawberry plants, if you'll be that wonderful speakers a freest or a strawberry shortcake contest. Now there, that alone is worth the reason to go. I'll tell you more about it when I come back. Right now, we're going to take a quick break the guard Line. We are glad to have you with us today. Hey, we're going to go out to Missouri City now and talk to Paul. Hey, Paul, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 27: Pull skip I cold last week. We're regarding this issue, but I need some follow up. I had an area maybe's three by eight of bermuda grass that I wanted to kill, so I sprayed around up on it, killed it, and over the last two days, I've been digging all that up, going after the roots deep with a pickaxe, you know, swinging down from over my head and digging down deep. And I've rotated all the dirt out. But now I want to make sure I've killed all the roots. I pulled up a lot of roots, but there's still a little fragment here, like residual stuff. Can I spray again with round up and then maybe in a week's time come back with the sod.
Speaker 26: Or what.
Speaker 1: Well, not yet. Here's what you need to do. First of all, you want the area to be all smoothed out, so pickaxe generally leaves it pretty rough, so any kind of raking breaking it up, smoothing it out. Then water it, put in air, put sprinkler on that bare dirt area, that whole area, and your neighbors are going to talk about you because you're water and dirt and but that's okay. They talk about us anyway. The reason your water in the dirt is to get any bermuda, grass or other weeds that are under the soil that are gonna that are perennials that are going to sprout out. It's it's to encourage them to come on up and show their face. And once you have some foliage on those weeds, and I doubt you got all the bermuda with one spray, but that'll be your time to know, then spray it again.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then once you've sprayed it, you can you know, within the week you can lay sod down in that area. It's not going to be a problem for the sod. You just want the soil to be loosened in the surface so that sod contacts it really well.
Speaker 27: Okay, so I can water it. But then about how long good do you think it's going to take before some bermuta it just starts to show your face because this could take a month.
Speaker 1: It depends probably not. The bottom line is it depends on how much of a bermuda sprig you got under there. I mean, if you had a perfectly healthy one, it would pop up in a few days. If you've got one that you know, you really knocked it back, but it kind of comes back to life and not to life, but it starts to regroup and come back. That could take a couple of weeks before you see it coming back again. But the goal is just you know, since you're going to reside, you don't want to see bermuda grass right back in there after you reside. So we just want to make sure we got it all is. And that's what you called about is doing that.
Speaker 27: So okay, yeah, very good.
Speaker 1: Sometime as long as you keep it moist, it will encourage it to grow. I don't care how hot it gets, some bermuna will come back up through there. Also, you should know this that when you want to kill bermuda grass, the bermuda grass needs to be healthy and growing. If it's drought stressed, that glacys will not kill it well. If it's healthy and lush growing, that life say, kills it very well. So the goal is to get it healthy and growing lushly. And so that's what the water is all about.
Speaker 27: Okay, thank you for your advice.
Speaker 1: Thanks sir, I appreciate that call very much. Let's see here. We are going to now go to the heights and talk to Mike.
Speaker 5: Hello, Mike Heykski. A friend of mine has a house in Shenandoah, wants to sell it eventually in a near future. Lots of damage from the trees that have been taken out, but she'd liked to have her backyard look presentable in terms of putting it for sale and instead of sodding. Instead of sodding Saint Augustine, uh, thinking she's having someone come in to smooth the line out because when the tree people came in that there's a lot of ruts in the backyard and add some soil recommendation bermuta seed are instead of siding, but trying to do it economically because it's going to be most likely a house is going to be sold as is, but also wants to make it presentable the yard.
Speaker 1: How soon do they want to put it on the market.
Speaker 5: Probably sometime next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh okay, yeah bermuda, you can do the bermuda seed now, okay, So they could do bermuda seed. They just want to get a good semi dwarf type of bermuda. They're bermudas that are coastal bermuda that grows in pastures for cattle to eat. Very tall, right, there's bermuda's that are so short they make golf course greens. Eve want a medium one like would be used on a football field, for example, or a golf course fight. And there's cultivars of seed like that that you could use. I know you're in the heights. You might talk to Bob out at Southwest Fertilizer. He does carry seeds of some different things and he probably has one. There is a website called Aggie Turf Aggie Turf on there in the lower left corner of it. It has like types of turf grasses, and if you click on that and then click on the bermuda and scroll down, there's a list of all the sodded varieties and there's a list of the seeded varieties, and just look at that whole list. If you can find anything on that list, you know it's going to work. If it's not. If you find one that's not on the list, as long as you check it out and it's a semi dwarf bermuta, that'll work okay. But what they're going to have to do is water frequently, because tender little bermuda seedlings in the heat of summer turn turn to toast quickly if it dries out. They don't have a root system yet to speak of, so they just need to get sprinklers set up out there and run them for a little while. And I'm pretty much every day just getting keeping the surface moist and because it's touch and go until that bermuda seed becomes a robust plant with rhizomes and underground storage and all of that. And at that point, and the more often you mow bermuda, the better it looks. Saint Augustine is forgiving of infrequent mowing, but if they put it on the market and want it to look good, they need to get somebody in there mowing at every five at the most seven days to get it looking as good as it's going to look. Okay, question time for it? All right?
Speaker 5: What what's the period of time that's recommended to sh to plant the seed or slight of them here in Texas and Houston.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, I would just say sooner rather than later. You know, as we get closer and closer to fall, when it cools off, bermuda is going to slow to growth to almost nothing, and so you want to get as robust of a plant as you can get before we go into winter, or you have issues with that. So I wouldn't put it off until September. I would, I would. I would do it right now. And if you have to do it in September, do it in early September. See what I'm saying, Just as much time as possible. Okay, Yeah, I got a run to break. Thank you, Mike. I appreciate appreciate your call. When we come back Christ in Jersey Village and Morgan up in Spring Branch, we are going to come to you first, go back to garden line. Good to have you with us today. Hey, have you noticed that the hummingbirds are back? Yep. I looked out the other day and there was a hummingbird flying around? Did I have a feeder out?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 1: Was it disappointed? Probably? Will he come back? I hope. So time to get your hummingbird feeders out. If you don't have a humming bird feeder, you got to go buy Wildbirds and get their high perch feeder. Ask them they got a bunch of hummingbird feeders. My favorite is the high perch. Go by and say I want to see your high perch feeder and why is that so special? And get you one and get it out. It is time. Get you a good quality sugar water. You don't have to but red food color and a feeder. They also sell quality hummingbird liquid feed there at Wildbirds Unlimited. What you're gonna find is that it's a little slower to go bad. You know, in the hot weather, sugary water, sugar tends to fermat out there, and you don't want that happening. So you need to clean the feeders out. You need to replace. Don't put a whole feeder fold. If you don't have a bunch of hummingbirds coming, you need to put After about three days out there outside, you probably need to go ahead and just wash it out and put some fresh in because it does go bad. But Wildbirds Unlimited WBU dot com forward slash Euston continue to put out your quality super blend and other quality feats from Wildbirds because the birds are molting. You should see how ugly the birds coming to my feet are. They're feathers. It looks like they ran through a weed eater. They're just in their molting. They're getting their new foliage and they can't fly around. It's harder to fly around as much. So having a good feeder nearby where they can go and get a dependable snack is really really important. And Wildbird's Unlimited as you cover WBU dot com forward slash Houston WBU dot Com forward slash Houston for the six Wildbirds Unlimited stores near you. Let's go to Jersey Village now and talk to Chris. Hey, Chris, welcome to garden Line. Oh, thank you for taking my call. You bet Okay.
Speaker 9: Two things.
Speaker 1: I've got a really big yard.
Speaker 28: It's a double lot on a corner, about a third of an acre backyard.
Speaker 1: I'm not worried about in this heat.
Speaker 19: How often should I water if it's not yard?
Speaker 1: All right? If you've got a good quality soil, of any close to a decent soil, and if you have a fairly healthy grass plant already, you can water once a week even in the sun. You can also that just doesn't seem often enough, so you can go to twice a week. But the goal is to put an inch of water down a week. So if you tried to put an inch down at at one time, cress, you would find it running off. So we do cycle soap, which means your sprinkler comes on, you know, however long, and then goes off for forty five minutes it comes back on again. What that does is it gets a good deep soaking, which encourages your grass to have a good deep resilient root system, which is important in the heat. And it also by not watering all the time, oxygen gets down in the soil between waterings better and that's also important for your root system.
Speaker 3: Okay, one last, yeah, one last question.
Speaker 1: I've got.
Speaker 29: Crepe myrtles front and back, and my buddy, who's really knowledgeable, said, you're never supposed.
Speaker 1: To trim them in the hot sun or when it's hot. You're supposed to wake to cooler weather.
Speaker 9: It's that right.
Speaker 1: In general with anybody ornamental it's better to do any significant amount of pruning when the when we're in the late winter time.
Speaker 29: That that's the okay, but you can And one last thing show, I just wanted to tell you how much you.
Speaker 1: Appreciate. That's very kind to you say that, Chris, good luck. We have throw your plants out there. Thank you, sir, Yes, sir, all right, where are we going next? We're going to go to spring Brand and talk to Morgan. Hey, Morgan, Hey there, I got a quick question. I hope it is a quick question, but it's got multiple pieces to it.
Speaker 30: So I've got some old kitty litter that I've had in the back of the car for about a year now to help take it to decrease the humidity in the car. And so now I want to the the k litter is like clay kitty litter. I don't have the original packaging, so I don't know what the actual chemicals are there in it. What I want to do is I've also got about a gallon of coffee grounds that I've been that I've been collecting. Now I understand that caught that count of grounds are good, UH can be a good fertilizer. And you know, provide petrins to your soil or your garden. And here's what I want to do, because because the auth the grounds are so or so, they can they can come up. I want to use the clay kitty litter as an agitator, but as I'm spreading it out in my yard, and I don't know how safe kitty litter.
Speaker 1: Would be for that purpose. It's fine, it's fine if you want to do that. It's like it's not going to the kidding leader is not going to hurt anything. It hasn't been fired to the too hot enough temperatures to do what expanded shale can do in terms of improving a clay. So you're basically adding the equivalent of a clay to the to the soil. But if you're using it just to kind of spread out the coffee grounds a little bit, it's not going to hurt anything to do that. The only difference is a particle size is different, So as you try to put it in a spread or the small particles tend to settle down to the bottom and the large particles as it's bouncing along, tend to rise up. So you're not going to get a real good even spread that way, I think I would just take the coffee grounds, dry them out well and then put them in with those little hand whirllybirds. I don't know how many pounds of coffee grounds you got, but it shouldn't be worried about if you hand whirlybird. Okay, well you could do that in two or three fills of of a handspreader, you know, just walking around. If you want to do that, it's called a wordlybird. Well, put fire ant bait. Fire ant bait. You hold it in one hand, you pull a trigger and you crank on the other side. It's got a little hopper about about half gallon sized hopper on them. It's it's got the push and walk behind spreaders. It's it's a little handheld which just for a little bit.
Speaker 30: Yeah, I've got I've got I've got a walk behind the spread which is what I plan on using.
Speaker 1: So okay, well, that's going to just make sure that that you've thoroughly dried those coffee grounds out.
Speaker 27: Well.
Speaker 30: Thanks so much for your show.
Speaker 1: By yes, sar, thank you appreciate the call very much. Uh well, I tell you, if we're time is moving along here, you know, Ice Hardware stores where you're gonna find everything you need for your lawn, your garden. That's just Ace Hardware. And where is ACE Hardware. Go to Ace Hardware dot Com. Look at the store locator and I think with forty around here, you're gonna one near you. Congratulations to Langham Creek Ase Hardware. I was there a little bit earlier this year for an event. They are on FM five twenty nine in Cypress at the intersection of Barker, Cypress and five twenty nine. So all of you up there in that Greater Copperfield area, this is your local ACE Hardware store, Langham Creek. They're having a big shindig. It is on Friday, the thirtieth of August, Saturday the thirty first, and Sunday, the first of September. Tons of giverways, demonstrations by vendors, prizes. On Saturday they're having fifteen percent off Still units. Still is one of those power equipment companies that makes high quality equipment. They're there. The giveaway on Friday is an Ego battery string tremor ten or fifty dollars value though to be demonstrating Weber grills. On Saturday, they're giving away a Weber Spirit to gas grill four hundred and fifty dollars grill, giving it away as a prize. They'll demonstrate Big Green Egg and something called Guy Coney's Pizza Oven. Oh my gosh, it's really cool. It's like you're a little private pizza oven. You can sit outside like you would you barbecue or whatever. All right, Well, anyway, Sunday they're giving away a painting room makeover two hundred dollars value in demonstrating trigger grill. This is this is a really nice deal. There are all kinds of prize demonstrations that still discount on Saturday, and then great deals, exclusive deals on a variety of other items, all at Langham Creek Ace Hardware on FM five twenty nine. It's at the intersection of five twenty nine and Barker Cypress Road. Real easy to get to. Like I said, it's in your backyardperfield, and all of you around that area need to run over there and check out this revamped It's called the reopening because I was there when they were open earlier in the year. They revamped that place and now it's like a grand reopening going on. He's hard We're gonna take a little break John in Memoria, our very first color up.
Speaker 22: When we come back from this break, Firstcenter dot Com Traffic Center.
Speaker 10: This report is sponsored by Bank of America. Bank of America has powerful digital solutions for local and global businesses, so you can make every move matter. Visit Bankofamerica dot com slash Banking for Business to learn more. Bank of America NA Copyright twenty twenty four.
Speaker 22: Portions of the following program will pre recorded. This is Use Radio seven forty kt RH Houston.
Speaker 26: Live Everywhere with Venue now.
Speaker 22: The latest newsweather and traffic.
Speaker 20: It's more of what matters to you from the John Morris Services Studios.
Speaker 31: From rallying in Pennsylvania Today. I'm Jarret Lewis six nine o'clock on News Radio seven forty KRH with traffic in whether chigither.
Speaker 32: Here's Gary mack now up to over an hour, Back back to sixty nine. The Southwest Freeway north down at Chimney Rock roadwork a total closure. You're bumper to bumper beginning at Guester. This one will hang around weather till noon today. Right now alternates, I got you the West Park Toway Feller Bulov already even vissing it if you so choose a half hour back up on iten westbound roadwork in two to three left lanes between Woods and Peach Ridge in Waller County. Also, Fyia Texas play the Giants at noon today over at NRG and we'll provide updates. I'm Gary Mack in the classic Elite GMC Traffic Center. A heat advisories in effect into light PM on this Saturday. There will maybe an isolated thunderstorm popping up. Otherwise sunny with a high ninety eight, the heate in decks close to one ten. Overnight party cloudy with a low down to eighty so more hot weather. Tomorrow expects sunshine with a high year one hundreday and the heat in decks around one ten and a sunny Monday with a high climbing to one oh one. I'm meaty rialogist Jeff Marr from the Weather Channel.
Speaker 31: Sunny and eighty four at the k T reach Top tax Defenders, twenty four hour Weather Center, k H News Time nine oh one. Our top story. Former President Donald Trump is campaigning in the major swing state of Pennsylvania. Later on this evening. The stop in Wilkes Barr comes about a month after the assassination attempt on his life in Butler, Pennsylvania. Trump says he would like to eventually go back to Butler for another rally and as well as honor the man who was killed as a result of that shooting, Corey Comparatory, a former fire chief. As for Trump's opponent, Vice President Kamala Harris, she's facing heavy criticism of late for some of her recent economic proposals.
Speaker 33: Vice President Kamala Harris is touting her plan as a way to build up the middle class and doubling down on some of President Biden's key initiatives, but her proposal is getting mixed reviews. The policies Hairs announced include providing down payment assistance of up to twenty five thousand dollars for first time home buyers, restoring the child tax credit, which expired in twenty twenty one, and a federal ban on grocery price gouging.
Speaker 31: Box is Madeline Rivera. Vice President Harris spoken rawling North Carolina yesterday. She already took the idea of no tax on tips from former President Donald Trump. She's also announced a raise in the federal minimum wage if elected. A new Rasmussen reports poll is showing that half of likely voters believe the media is carrying the water for the Harris For Kamala Harris and her campaign for president, just fourteen percent say the media will be helping Trump get elected in About twenty six percent believe most reporters will offer unbiased coverage. The Supreme Court is striking down a proposed Title nine change from the Biden Harris administration. Some argued that the White House was trying to allow men into women's sports. The role would have allowed biological men to be in women's bathrooms and locker rooms in ten states that permitted it based on their state law. US officials say they are monitoring IMPOCS, which is moving throughout parts of Europe.
Speaker 34: Mpox, the virus formerly known as monkey pox, is spreading quickly around the world following a summer outbreak in Africa that's saw a new variant infect more than fourteen thousand people, causing more than five hundred deaths. The World Health Organization has labeled the outbreak a global health emergency, and now the variant has spread to Europe, with Sweden reporting at least one case which they say they have under control.
Speaker 31: OxyS Jonathan Siri K Cherrich News Time nine oh four. Jury deliberations are picking back up Monday in the civil trial against the accused Santa Fe High School gunman's parents. Closing arguments wrapped up on Friday.
Speaker 8: If we want to solve this problem, it starts right at home. You're responsible for your kids. If you're gonna bring them into the world, be responsible for him. If you're gonna bring weapons into your home, be responsible for him.
Speaker 31: That's the plaintiff's attorney, Clint McGuire. Earlier this week, Houston police say a man allegedly shot three people after an argument in North Houston early this morning. The incident happened just after one at a home on Fulton Street and Harrington Street, and a separate shooting a man is being looked for accused of shooting his ex girlfriend in the face. Astros losers for the first time in eight games, falling to the White Sox last night at minute made five to four the final. Today's game has a six ' ten first pitch. Our next update will be at nine thirty. I'm Jared Lewis, News Radio seven forty k t r.
Speaker 20: H kt r H Garden Line does not necessarily endorse any of the products or services advertised on this program.
Speaker 22: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Skip Richard.
Speaker 1: Just watch him as many Welcome back to Garden Line. We are glad to have you back here. We are answering your gardening questions. We're helping you have a more bountiful garden when you have a more beautiful landscape. That is our goal. We love to have a beautiful home place right. We love to get out and enjoy plants. We like to look good when you drive up or drive by on the street. And we want to have those areas that we can go out and enjoy. And there's a way to do all of that to have success. I don't care if you just want to have a lawn in trees or if you want to go all out. You want an orchard, you want free trees, you want vegetable gardens and flower beds and herbs and all the above, and then some or even questions about house plants. We can handle with those two. Just give us a call. Seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four Quality Home Products of Texas is a source of quality generators a brand like for example, Generak. A Generak is that you've got the powerful uh automatic standby generator sits outside the house and the power goes off and it comes on. I says, that's I mean a matter of seconds, the thing kicks into gear. Well, it's not just the quality generators that they sell, Yes, that's important, but it's the service. Quality. Home is a standout organization when it comes to reliability, when it comes to integrity, they prioritize honesty and transparency with each client. You go in, you sit down, and you call them whatever you say, Look, I think I need a generator. They talk to you, they ask questions, they don't upseill you. They give you the product that fits what you need. And they have all kinds of different ways of providing what you need, depending on do I want the whole home to be completely covered by a generator? Do I just want, you know, to prioritize certain areas. They can fix up all of that. They can get the slab poard, which they do. Most generators bring a thin Most companies bring a thin slab in set it down. Generator goes all the way to the edge of the slab, so you hit it with the lawnmar when you go by it. Not quality home. That is just one tiny example of the many ways they go above and be on. That's why they have fourteen thousand and five star abews. That's why eight times the Better Business Bureau highest award for customer service, the Pinnacle Award, eight times they've won it. Family owned operations since nineteen eighty nine, They've been in business a long time. They're a Houston company. Give them a call seven to one to three quality or just go to the website Quality tx dot com, qualitytx dot com. Don't delay. There's a process involved in getting a generator set up at your place. We got a long storm season still to come, and that'd be a good time to get my call. Let's head out now. We're going to go to John and Memorial. Hello John, and how can we help? Yes, thank you.
Speaker 35: I've just noticed ever since the hurricane, it just seems like my pine trees are dropping an awful lot of pine needles and just kind of curious what that means.
Speaker 1: Al they'll do that when they're in stresses. You know, all evergreens drop leaves. The leaves are not forever the plant just always has leaves on it, so whether it's a live oak, they go through periods where they drop some of the old leaves, especially as the new growth comes on. Pines will do that. But also stresses I don't know that the hurricane is causing the demit or any effects of that hurricane are causing it, but you know, they get dry, they get thirsty, just whatever. That can happen a lot as long as they have adequate soul moisture. And it just has gotten hot and dried these last couple of weeks, but overall we've had a pretty good year, so I'm not as concerned about it as I might otherwise.
Speaker 35: Be okay, perfect And then just quick quick question, what's your favorite privacy edge between houses these days?
Speaker 1: Oh boy, that's a tough one. One of the challenges because our properties have gotten smaller over the decades from back when everybody have had a third of an acre lot to now you reach out your window and you can close your neighbors blinds hardly leaning out is that we have to have thin hedges because otherwise it just takes up the whole property. When it comes to thin, then we're looking at more upright, narrow growing things or junipers that are grown for that purpose. There's a variety of different trees that can kind of fit that bill. You want a plant that's going to be evergreen. Sometimes what I'll do when the property line is really limiting us is I'll use a trellis that goes above the privacy fence, so it may be tall posts. Then maybe a livestock panel or something stretched across and grow an evergreen vine on that. So you end up with a really nice screen, but you don't have something that's ten feet wide sticking out in your lawn and on the other side of the fence.
Speaker 22: Well, thank you, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: You bet, John, You take our Yeah, John, take care that. Yeah. There's a lot of different options if you had a little more information, Like, for example, you're trying to block a house it's fifteen feet away, it's gonna be hard to do with anything if it's a longer distance. Just think about where you sit and what you see, and that'll tell you how high it needs to be. The closer the hedge or screen is to you, the shorter it needs to be the block of you. The further away it gets, the taller. It needs to be the block of you. Just some things like that. All right, Thanks for the call, appreciate that. We're going to now head out to Bill and Conroe. Hello Bill, Welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 36: Hey Skip, good morning. I've cleaned out my backyard and killed the sod and breaked it out and got some drainage in there, and so I'm getting ready to.
Speaker 26: Lay down some new side. And my question is this.
Speaker 36: I know, Funus kind of lives in his dormant in the dirt all the time and everything else. Would it make any sense to use this opportunity to put something down.
Speaker 2: That would.
Speaker 36: Kill some fungicide that's I might be lying there.
Speaker 1: You know, Bill, it wouldn't. It would be a complete waste of your money. There isn't a fungicide we put in the soil that then controls everything that might come later on the turf. So I would wait until you have your turf, and then as you start to see an issue, you can deal with it at that point in time. But most fungicides, they just don't have that kind of link of protection or root uptake. In the case of what you're describing, that would require root uptake and a fungicide. Yeah, and so I would, I would wait, I would, I would wait. If you go online, I don't know if you've seen my lawn care schedule and my pest yeah, and management schedules. Yeah. Yeah, at gardening with skip dot com and look at that. And there's a fungus row as you go across from January to December, and it talks about the things we do and when on that, and I would more focus on that. But I'm not one to just want to nuke everything with insecticides and fundicides every time I turn around. I'd rather try to manage it and use it when I need it. You know. It's like you're taking an antibiotic every day in case you might get sick some day. That's not a good plan. And so yeah, the watch the schedule. It is important to step in. Go ahead. Yeah, well let me see it's early.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 36: Follow up question is, what about doing something for insects is the same kind of deal?
Speaker 26: Why do it?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 36: Why Why waste all that killers in the lawn when you don't even know what you have or don't have the same thing the same thing again, I got a wide I just got a bunch of dirt there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well, when when it comes to insects, basically we're dealing with two things for our this is Saint Augustine I assume, is that right? Yeah, okay, yeah, when it comes to insects, we're talking about chinchbugs and sideweb worms and grubs three three pests and there's a very specific time on those. We're in that time on those, but in nothing ahead of time will help. All right, all right, I'm gonna I'm gonna have to gearrun bill, but yeah, good luck with all that. I hope that helped. Gary and Alvin. You'll be first up when we come back. If you want to give Chrystal, call seven one three two one two. Kat r H will get you on the board. We'll be ready to talk to you next and glad you're with us today. Hey, have you been down to Jeges Hidden Gardens. It's done in Alvin. You heard me talk about it before. It's on Elizabeth Street in Alvin and they're open today by the way, from eight to four and tomorrow again from eight to four. When you get down to Hoorze Sidden Gardens, you're going to find a wide variety of things. Number one. They have a variety of products, for example, the tree stabilizer three sixty tree stabilizer. If you've got a young tree, that's the thing you need for that, and they've got them right there, including his own proprietary blend fertilizer products. He has got a good selection of fruit trees, lots of citrus right now is on hand. And if you need like let's say you want to grow an apple, well, you know, apples are for up north, but we have varieties that will grow down here. And Hora carries things like anna and Dorset golden, for example, that can handle the lower chill that we receive down in this area. So you're going to find a lot of things like that. They're at Horae Sidden Gardens. You're also at Hoges going to be able to find the things that you need to have success in terms of plants, for shade plants that are perennial that come out year after year, the tropical look you know, you like the big old elephant ear looking things, you like the the I like foxdale fern. He's got those. They are very tough plants to grow, very tough and resilient. Or he's got all of that. But remember today eight to four tomorrow eight to four again or Haes Hidden Gardens there on Alvin Street. Excuse me, Elizabeth Street and Alvin, Texas just south Highway sixth seventeen seven twenty one Elizabeth Street. Go check them out. We're going to head now over to Alvin speaking of or Haes Hidden Gardens, and we're going to talk to Gary. Hello.
Speaker 26: Gary, Yes, sir, my wife has several raised garden beds. They're like four foot by four foot, and we have lots of rabbits. We have twelve full grown rabbits. She breeds most of the rabbits and the and it's cooler the rabbit manure. Can you put too much on? And then you only two on the raised beds there like four foot but four foot and you got several of them. And like I said, putting the rabbit maneuver on there? Can you put too much? And we're not raised anything right now? Can we go ahead and put the rabbit maneuver on there?
Speaker 7: Will it?
Speaker 26: Uh?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 26: And there again they the dozen full grown that we have produce a whole lot of maneuver. But is this good or bad? And then also we were trying to raise what we can feed the rabbits.
Speaker 1: All right, sounds good. Well, yeah, it's wonderful manure. My kid drese rabbits when they were growing up. We had rabbits for more years than I care to remember. And but we didn't call it manure. We called it funny pooh. In fact, if you want to sound, if you want to sound a little more, you know, high falutin, you just call it pooh de boney, pooh de boney. It sounds, it sounds exotic. It's the same stuff. It's not like chicken manu where it's really easy to burn plants with it. Rabbit manure is typically not that hot. Now, can you put too much? We can put too much of anything, you know, anything, you can overdo it. But in general we don't worry about it burning like rabbits can do. I would say, if you put out you know, you know, maybe a half inch at a time, kind of scratched it into the surface, that would be a pretty good application rate.
Speaker 26: Wow, half inch in much.
Speaker 1: No, not at one time, but you know, experiment with it and see. You know, some plants do not need much fertilizer. Other plants are heavy feeders, so I would adjust according to that as well.
Speaker 26: Okay, and then we're not we're trying to grow what the rabbits will eat. Worse, we can't never have let grown carrots, of course, but other kails and things like that that we can feed the rabbits.
Speaker 15: Do that.
Speaker 26: What do you recommend?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that's what I do on those. What I would do is that you're talking about vegetable grun there, so I would before you can't, I would put the rabbit manure down at about an inch inch and a half and rototillert in is deeply, are spaded in as deeply as practical, and then plant and and then that way you're not having to put the maneuver around existing plants, which is a little more challenging in a dense vegetable garden.
Speaker 26: Sure, okay, very good, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: So but it works. It works very well. It's already pelletized, so once it's dry, you can you can put it in a sack and store it for later if you want. Have you ever thought about raising earthworms underneath there are those cages?
Speaker 26: No, no, never never considered that.
Speaker 1: The red wiggler, not nightcrawlers, but red earthworms. There's also something called a brown noseworm that's basically like a red wigular. They go crazy into there and they'll transform that manure and it's almost like you're turning it into a compost material. Plus you get fishing worms or some people even purchase those things. People that have vermiculture bins where they add worms to to decompose food scraps. They'll buy your red regular worms to put in their verma culture bend. So I know you're not looking for another business to get into, but that's just another option. And they can take our temperatures better, uh than like the nightcrawlers can.
Speaker 26: Yes, sir, I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: That's more than you, more than you ask. So thanks sont Gary, thanks for listening.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Good care. You are listening to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Rickor and we're here to answer your gardening questions. That's what we try to do. Here. We're going to head out to Austin County and talk to Doris.
Speaker 22: Hello, Doris, Hello, can you hear me?
Speaker 1: How can we help today? I can?
Speaker 6: Okay, I have urbinas. I have the purple ones, the white ones, and the red ones, and they were doing really well. Now some of the bushes are getting white spots like on their leaves and they're starting to die from underneath.
Speaker 9: What's wrong with.
Speaker 1: Them, Well, Verbina is a pretty tough plant, but when we get to the full brunt of Texas summers, it's stressed and so it is easy for issues to arise from them. I think though, that the white spots, if they're very very small specks, that kind of more and more of them occur until the leaf almost turns white. That is a piercing sucking insect that is sucking juices out of those leaves from the underside of the leaf. They hide under the leaf and they suck the juices out, and so getting a blast of spray up under there to kill them would be one option to try to bring those under control. But we have several different kinds of plants, from lace bugs to a little plant hoppers and others that can cause that kind of damage.
Speaker 6: Some of these are almost white, but I don't see anything under the leak.
Speaker 1: That's what you will some of these things are. They're they're skittish and by the time you turn it over they've hopped away. So you kind of have to go out in the morning, maybe look at the top of the leaves. Some of them may be up there, but when you turn them over, if it's a lace bug, the uh, they don't jump around, they'll be there. You can turn it over and you'll see them. So another sign of lace bugs is little black tar like spots. That's they're poop underneath the leak. They stick it to the bottom of the leaf. I don't know why.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 1: And the other kind, the piercing sucking plant hoppers, those are the more skittish ones uh. And you just kind of have to to go out real carefully and slowly turn it over to see them. But there'll be little bugs that are about the size of a of an aphid, a big plump black aphid. Typically they're very dark colored, but that would be something to look for.
Speaker 6: And what do I use on them?
Speaker 1: There's there are a number of products that will knock them down. Pyrietherns is an organic type spray that you could use to knock them down, a pyrite and spray, you could use really any insecticide labeled for use on your flowers. You just want to be careful because you got bees. And so sometimes I'll do that real late in the day, uh, and so that that it all dries up and the next days the bees come out. You know, the the product isn't just wet there on the leaf where or the flowers where bees would be infected affected.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, all right, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: All right, you take care, good luck with that doors. Thank you. If you are looking for high quality turf care in the form of composts, top dressing and B and B turf pros, Now they do many other things, but that's what I like to talk about with BMB turf Pros is the super high quality composts that they use. They get their stuff from Cienamalt, so you know it's a good one. They only use products by the way they use fertilizers. I've seen Microlife fertilizer put them putting out Microlife fertilizer for example. They only use products in companies that I trust here on guard Line. They can do a quality and pretty rapid compost top dressing a lot longer than you taking wheelbarrows and dumping it around everywhere and then raking it to try to smooth it out. Hire them to come in and do that. They air rate the lawn. They've got a good aeration machine that pulls the plugs out of the soil and drops them on the surface. And for a lot of lawns that are struggling, when you do that, you're getting oxygen down into the soil. You're getting oxygen into the soil, and you're getting that compost done in the soil, and the soil just gets better and the roots thrive, and as a result, an old struggling drought stress, whatever it's struggling with lawn can be really greatly enhanced. Bbturfpros dot com. That's a website, eb purfpros dot com or seven one three two three four, five five nine eight. They basically cover the southern part from it ten or Sugarland down south and over as far as Paarland. That's the region they cover. Give them a call seven one three, two three four five five nine eight. We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 20: Houston's News, Why there were traffic plus freaking News twenty four to seven.
Speaker 1: This is US Radio seven forty kt.
Speaker 10: R H five Everywhere with IRF.
Speaker 20: More of what's happening now from the John Morris Services Studios.
Speaker 31: A close decision from the Supreme Court on a Title nine rule. I'm sure at Lewis SIDS nine thirty on news radio seven forty khrh with trafficking whether together.
Speaker 22: Here's Gary mack.
Speaker 32: Let's reopen forty five the North three Way northbound the crash clear it at Tidwell.
Speaker 22: If you got a late start, I don't blame you.
Speaker 32: A head of this away from the Woodlands to the North Loop via the North Freeway thirty two minutes. Roadwork at Richie will cost you some time there then fifty two say what yep? Sixty nine Southwest Freeway northbound West Sam to the West Sloop. A roadwork closure at Chimney Rock up on the West Park Tollway. Gary Mackathegenerator Supercenter, dot Com Traffic Center.
Speaker 37: A heat advisory is in effect until eight pm tonight. Very high in humid this weekend. The high today and year ninety eight with sunshine just a slide chance for a thunderstorm. The heat index today should approach one to ten windy factor in the humidity. I'm meteorologist Jeff Marr from.
Speaker 31: The Weather Channel Sunny eighty six at the k Riach Generator Supercenter. Twenty four hour Weather Center k H News Time nine to thirty one our top story. The US Supreme Court is striking down the Biden Harris Title nine change proposal that created an avenue for biological men to compete in women's sports. The Supreme Court voted five to four on it on Friday. One study says a hey Ris economic agenda could add upwards of two trillion dollars to the deficit. Just this week, Kamala Harris proposed a raise to the federal minimum wage and price control on food and groceries. Former President Donald Trump is campaigning in a major swing state today. He will be in northeast Pennsylvania this evening for a rally. The September tenth debate between Trump and Harris will be at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia. ABC News has not yet said whether there will be a live audience. Closing arguments are through in the civil trial against the parents of the admitted Santa Fe High School shooter. Jury deliberations will pick up again on Monday, and a triple shooting in North Houston as police are looking for a man who allegedly shot three people following an argument just after one This morning. News on Demand at kih dot com. Our next update will be at ten. I'm Jarret Lewis News Radio seven forty KRH.
Speaker 26: When You're a Way to our twenty twenty four IR Radio.
Speaker 36: Music Festival presented by Capital September twentieth and twenty first.
Speaker 23: Teamobile Arena here in Las Vegas, Truly live only on Hulu.
Speaker 22: Keep listening for your next chance to be there.
Speaker 38: Own the moment with the rape in Meta smart classes, square timeless styles with technology that lets you listen to music, capture pictures and videos, live stream, make a handspring caller, text, and even ask Meta AI questions on the go, all while you stay present in the moment.
Speaker 20: Coming up a time saving traffic update from the Generator Supercenter dot com Traffic Center.
Speaker 10: This report is sponsored by Bank of America. Bank of America has powerful digital solutions for local and global businesses, so you can make every move matter. Visit Bankofamerica dot com slash Banking for Business to learn more. Bank of America NA Copyright twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is linked Kennedy. Here's what's trending on the Iheartsports.
Speaker 10: Network presented by Mercedes Benz Castros.
Speaker 28: Take on a life Stocks at minute Maid in game two of three hundred round on the home for Houston against Christi Flexen preseason play, the Texans hosts the Giants as a regular season draws. Closer Loosen opens against the Cold September eighth, and Dodgers.
Speaker 18: Place Bitch or Todder Glazo on the fifteen day.
Speaker 28: I l with right elbow tendonitis. It's the second time that he is at the shelf this season alone. I'm Rob Bushcod.
Speaker 21: The Mercedes Benz Dream Days are here with exceptional offers on the cl coop ECLASSI Edan, CE CLASSI DAN and cl ecabrioleg going on now through September third. Learn more mbusa dot com slash Dream.
Speaker 39: BYO Graphics if Texas is number one commercial signing graphics company. Vehicle wraps for your business, thanks for your building or interior signs and graphics.
Speaker 21: They do it all by you.
Speaker 39: Graphics has over twenty years of experience and a design team that will make your ideas reality. BUYO Graphics can help your business make an impression that will allow you to stand out. Visit byographics dot com or call eight three two nine one two eighty two hundred today. That's Buyographics dot com. Make your ideas of reality today byographics dot com.
Speaker 10: Think it up is an initiative to activate student powered teacher led learning projects. Students and teachers, how can you spark great learning experiences in your classrooms today? Join at thinkoup dot org.
Speaker 38: An it is my high.
Speaker 12: Crazle because I'm Acasell and Salz and b Pimselveko label.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to garden Line. Glad to have you with us this morning. We have got a little bit of time live. We got about thirty minutes left in the show today, a little less than that. Actually, if you'd like to give us a call, this would be a good time. Seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. We're gonna go out to college station now and talk to Andy. Hello, Andy, and welcome to Garden Lines.
Speaker 24: Hey, Skip, how you doing? I appreciate you taking my call again. I uh talk to you last week. I was putting a kind of a crushed granite walk away and circle around for a for my fire pits and smokers and stuff. I had said I had Saint Augustine. When I looked a little bit closer and it's a it's a lot of permuta and weeds mixed in with it as well too. So I guess my my thought is prepare it? Do I?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 24: Do I do the round up and at first, and then let it sit for a while. Maybe do it twice before I before I do anything to it or what for preparing for it?
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, twice would be the case, because you don't always get it all the first time. Lifeasay run ups just one name. By the way, if you go to a store now and buy something that says round up, it probably isn't life usay because when the in the retail market, the homeowner market, uh, that's being pulled, pulled and its other ingredients and they're being called round up. I wish they wouldn't do that, but that is what companies do. But anyway, so gli, I'm gonna use the word glyphosay because that's the ingredient you can find in a lot of other brands. I've been round up.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 1: That kills broad leaf and grasses, and it moves down in the plant and it kills the underground parts too, which is why it's so good for taking bermuda grass out. If your If your main weed weeds are grassy, you can use a grass only killer as an alternative to the glyphosay. But if you've got broad leaf weeds, the grass only killers won't work. Okay, can you spell the name of that product?
Speaker 20: What is that.
Speaker 1: Glyphosate? Yeah?
Speaker 9: G L Y P H O S A T E.
Speaker 1: I tell you something I want I want you to do.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been to my website, Gardening with Skip dot com?
Speaker 19: Actually?
Speaker 1: Now, if okay, if not write that down gardening with Skip dot com. When you go there, there's a tag for all the publications, and I have a publication called herbicide products to use with Skip's weed wiper tool. It's the only publication that starts off saying herbicide at the beginning. If you click on that, it's products that I put on the list for using with a little homemade tool I show you how to make. By the way, this tool is not for the kind of bermuda situation you have. But those products you see products for brushyweeds, products for grass plants, products for plants with underground bulbs like wild onion and garlic in the lawn. But if you look there, you can find the products for each of those that work well and for grassyweeds. That's kind of what we've been talking about. Those products are there, even though that publications made for things to put on the weed wiper. Those are the products you would use to control to get that bermua kill back. And then again, like you said, get water it good, give it some time to try to get it to come back up again, show its face. So do you have something else to spray a second time?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 1: Awesome, that is great. I appreciate that.
Speaker 24: Yeah, I didn't really look at it before and as much. And it's a it's we've just been in the house a couple of months now. It's ten years old, and so we've been mowing a couple of times a week to keep the weeds down and stuff. So I didn't actually really notice we had a lot more going on in there than I thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's often the way it is. That's all right, and good luck, Thank you. Take one last one last where did the wise ending? Before you go? You get much better killed with whatever you spray if the target weed is healthy and vigorous growing. If it's drought stressed, these products don't work well at all. So you want to water it, do whatever you guy do. You want to get it up and growing and where it's moving and then it takes that herbicide up and you get much better results. So just a final thought there, Okay, oh yeah, I got you. I'll take it down into the roots so it does better. Yeah, thanks Ben, you take care. Hey, our phone number if you'd like to give us a call seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four out at the Texas Nursery and Landscape Association Convention in San Antonio that's this past week. Uh, well, that was a great convention. I saw a lot of good friends out there. I ran into the folks at Nelson Plant Food, Dean uh the guy who created Nelson Plant Food, Dean Nelson, and also Shelby and some of the other folks that work with them, and we're just visiting about the different products they have, what all they have on hand. And they have a lot of quality products. You know, there's the fertilizer bag lines, that's the turf Star line. That's where you find Bruce's Brew, which releases it's a perfect blend of nutrients and it releases them initially pretty good, and then it has some ongoing slow release. Slow and Easy is another turf Star product. That one. It releases some early, but it releases for three or four months going forward. I would say at this point, if you needed a fertilizer to hold you until we get to the fall, maybe a little Bruce's Brew would be a good one for the lawn there. Now, when it comes to trees and shrubs, there's the nutri Star for tree and shrub. There's nutri Star for all kinds of for tropical plants, for vining plants. It's just a wide variety. So little jars, plastic jars, you can find them a lot of different places. The thing I like about those nutri Star jars, about the color Star jars, is that you can go to a garden center. Certain garden centers have the little refill stations. It's kind of like when you buy peanuts in the grocery store. You pull the little handle down and fill up the bag. You know what I'm talking about. Well, it's like that, but you get a lot of really good savings on the fertilizer because they're not having to make a jar and sell it to you and the environments not trying to figure out what to do with even more plastic. Because you buy a jar in another jar and another jar, you can just refill them the Nelson plant few jars. So just another reason that Nelson products are so handy and they do work very very well. I've used them myself. One of my favorites, by the way, is Genesis Transplant Mix. I'll have to tell you more about that at another time, But if you're going to transplant anything into the ground, mix a little Genesis transplant mix into the soil around there, then dig the hole and replant and you will see results. If you're going to pot something up, mix it into the potting salt that you're about to use. Genesis Transplant Mix from Nelson just another good one. We're going to go to Spring now and talk to Nicole. Hello, Nicole, Hello, how are you? I'm good? How can we help?
Speaker 40: I have a weed in my flower bed that I am constantly fighting and I cannot figure out what to do about it.
Speaker 38: It pulls up very easily.
Speaker 41: It has it's almost a fern type leaf. It has very tiny.
Speaker 22: Little leafs on it, spores on the back.
Speaker 26: Huh.
Speaker 40: It almost reminds me of like.
Speaker 41: A little mimosa leaf, like a little mimosa tree leaf. I mean that's what it sort of looks like a little tiny leaves. And I don't know what did you to keep this thing from coming back?
Speaker 1: Got you? What did you say it had on the back of the leaf spores? Okay, I know what it is. I've got to go to break and it's gonna take a while to talk about this. When hang on, we'll be right back with you and we will solve the problem to the mystery weed. Thanks. Thanks a lot, Nicole and Tiffany. You'll be the next up. After we solve Nichole's problem, we'll be right back all right, all right, welcome back. Good to have you with us here on Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here to answer your gardening question. We speaking of gardening questions. We were just talking to Tiffany, no excuse me, Nicole in spring and Nicole that we just called chamber bitter and it is the weed of summer. It's slow to wake up in the spring. A lot of spring things pop up like crabgrass and they're growing. This one's a little bit slower, but when it shows up, it can be just proliferating through a thin lawn or through garden beds and things. The answers to what to do about is, first of all, any if you can hoe or hand pull when it's first coming up, depending on where it's growing. You can't hoe in the lawn, but just taking a hole right underneath the surface, don't. You're not chopping with a hoe, you're just slicing it off under the surface. That's the best because pretty quickly it starts producing what you were calling a spore, that's actually the seed bop pod. It has a tiny little bloom you'll never think of as a flower, and then it produces these seed pods all along the lea petiole underneath, their little balls all along there. And so once it's doing that, you're about to have a lot of seeds, and so you're gonna have to be dealing with it a year after year. So the earlier you can hand pull it, the better mulches will keep it from coming up if the mulch blocks all the sunlight out. So that's another thing, and I realized we'd have to go back in time to do some of those steps, but that's FYI for next year. You can spray it with a product like Celsius for example. It does a pretty good job on it, but once it's getting really woody and established, it's hard to kill with sprays.
Speaker 40: Okay, okay, yeah, it's it just pops up so quickly, and it's like I can I pull it. It's easy to pull handful. I mean, it's really easy to pull out of the ground. It's not one of those ones that has the chaining root or anything like that.
Speaker 1: It's just that's everywhere. Yep. Well, like what in general, where is it? And what is it a flower bed or what are you seeing it? Then?
Speaker 40: Yes, mostly it's in the flowerbed. It's on the edge of the flower bed where I don't have any bushes or plants, you know, close to the rocks. And we've molted we most every spring, so I don't know if the molts just.
Speaker 1: Got thin or I don't know. Yeah, yes, that is what it is. Because when a seed sprouts, that tiny little seed has some stored energy, but not a lot, and so if you prevent it from being able to reach sunlight, you'll kill it. And I don't suppose you still subscribe to a print copy of the newspaper, do you? Most people I don't. Yeah, the newspaper for it. When it first comes up, you can lay newspaper on it, four to six sheets thick, and wet that newspaper so it sort of sticks down, and then throw mulch on top and you're done. That works really well because it completely blocks the light out. The newspaper does. Yeah, four to six sheets thick, just so it doesn't tear so easy. But you don't have to go buy newspaper, just gets you a good mulge to smother it. I will often use like a rake in a garden bed, just kind of to really roughly rake the soil to kind of tear it up, and then throw a mulch on top of it. Whatever it takes. Just just don't give it sunlight, and then once it's up you're going to have to In a flower bed, you're not going to use celsius. But if it's a bear area without other desirable plants, you could use a glycysate type herbicide that kills whatever you spray it on, and that it would kill it. Those post emergin will kill it even if it's getting a little bit older. But my big concern once it gets a little bit older is that you've already got viable seeds, So just to kill it isn't sufficient. I want those seeds out of there before they drop on the ground, right.
Speaker 40: Right, okay, all right, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. You didn't have anything better to do on a ninety five degree day in the middle of summers, And get out on your hands and knees and pull chamber better rights, rights into the mix, and it'll be a perfect day.
Speaker 40: Super fun, super fun. I water the flower bed this morning. I'm gonna make them really.
Speaker 14: Easy to pull out.
Speaker 1: That's smart, That is smart. All right, Nicole, you take care. Good to talk to you. We're going to go to Cypress and talk to Tiffany. Hello, Tiffany, welcome, reguardline, Hi.
Speaker 42: Skip, good morning.
Speaker 6: I have a three point question.
Speaker 42: When do you recommend like heavy pruning for our front and backyard ornamentals? When do you recommend for trees and then create myrtles. I know you mentioned it this morning with a gentleman that you like to wait till the end of winter because we do little pruning here there.
Speaker 9: But I mean, like the heavy pruning.
Speaker 42: When do you recommend for those those three.
Speaker 1: Heavy pruning is best done on a woody ornamental plant, a tree or shrub or woody vine. It's best done in the late wintertime. But if you need to get a little trimming here and there, you can do that at any time. And sometimes there's extenuating circumstances where you can't wait that long, and that's fine too, But just remember that if it blooms only in the spring, like a climbing rose is oftener once blooming roses, or if it is like a dogwood or a red bud or a spyreea shrub or something that flowering quints it just blooms in the spring, you want to prune it in the summertime right after it blooms, or in the spring late spring, early summer, right after it blooms. If you prune those now, they're trying to set buds for next springs bloom and you'd be cutting with the blue buds or the ability for them to develop a wooden time.
Speaker 42: Right, Okay, that sounds great. And saying with trees, I know that no affordable tree service. They are so wonderful, but they I mean, is it a time when you really recommend for them to come out just about February ish as well?
Speaker 1: Well, that would be ideal. Now, a tree service like that, they can't do every customer's printing all it one month would work? Sure, you trimming like, they'll come out like let's say right now, you got a tree with some branch problems, they'll come out now and do it. If you've got a tree that needs a selective printing to make it a little more resilient in storms, they'll come out now and do that. So you can do printing any time of the year. Ideally with woody ornamentals, we would like to do most of it at the end of winter.
Speaker 42: But you do what you gotta do, right, No, that sounds great. I really appreciate it. And just a little side note. Earlier this morning, a gentleman called about having raccoons and possums under his house. And my mother and father in law live in Lake Conroe, and my father in law had two little raccoons that loved making beds in his.
Speaker 4: Boat, like under the cover.
Speaker 42: So he put two humane traps and just like you said, he cut up apples. They really loved that and they would be in there and so and then he has this park that's you know, pretty far from them, but he would take them out there, very wooded park, not many busy streets around. And so that might be what that gentleman could do. He might have to do it one at a time since he has a party under his house.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you so much.
Speaker 42: If we love your show, appreciate you, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Appreciate your calls very much. We are going to now run out and run out to Diana and Cyprus. Diana, I'm watching the clock go in here. Let's see if we can get your call in.
Speaker 6: Okay, I have to laugh because that was my daughter that just called kiddy.
Speaker 1: Oh son or grandfather calling next.
Speaker 18: A mother.
Speaker 6: I said that that that's our daughter that just called it about you know, the preening.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: But I have a question real quick. My husband and I were both real sick during you know, the early part of the summer, and all of our plants in our yard was just absolutely gorgeous, and but our that illness kind of extended what we couldn't get out and take care of our plants like we normally would and monitor our yard. But our knocked out rose bushes say, look like the way I can describe it is, how if you were to take Brussels sprout's or roccolini and roast them in the oven? How kind of Well, there's up some edges they're they're doing that, and one of them we think we've completely lost. But I'm trying to see what I can do to save these others. And then another question too real quick, is that our yard was beautiful. The back is still looks good, but the front started dying. Uh and our Saint August.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna have to stop you because the music is already playing here. So about those roses, good soul moisture is very important, and in the heat it is too stressful for them, So that is the main thing. Wait and watch they'll they could look bad and then bounce tr it back. And if they don't come back, I know a lady up in the Cypress area. Her name is Tiffany, and I bet you could get her to come over and replant the roses for you. That's the least she could do after all that you've done for her her whole life. For crying out loud, Diana, I hope that he'll listen on the next call. It could possibly be like like black spot of black Spot, which causes black spots and leaves. The leaves turn yellow and fall off.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: It could be powdering mildew on the leaves too. Uh, you could send me some pictures. I'm going to put you on hold and maybe my producer can give you an email and we can talk again tomorrow.
Speaker 22: The Snap to sell your car