Speaker 1: This episode maintain content of a graphic nature, including descriptions of physical and sexual violence against adults, children, and animals. Listener discretion is advised. Hi, this is Tanya. Hi, this is Shannon, and we are Crimes and Consequences, a hardcore true crime podcast. Hey Shannon, Hey Tanya, how are you? I'm doing great? How are you?
Speaker 2: I am doing fucking fabulous because it's Saturday, Saturday, the weekend, and here we are recording on a weekend. We love you guys so much. Yes, of course, gosh, I have to tell you. I'm gonna put it on there. Maybe I'll just have a little post on the Patreon. I have the best incense, Like I'm an incense girl. I like to have my house smelling like a holy Indian temple at all times, you know, between pachuli and sage and frankincense. I found this box of the stick and it's the good sticks. It's not the bad sticks brand. I think Satya and they have nineteen sixties pechuli. That's what it's called. Nineteen or sixties pachuli. Tanya. I can't help but I feel like my ankles get wings and I'm just like happily like, oh, my gosh, I can hear Mama's in the papas. I'm like, oh, my previous life is just coming through. So that's what I got going on. What about you? Nice?
Speaker 1: Nice? I have done jack shit today. I'm happy about that preach. I like, I think that my daughter and I are gonna go get some ramen for dinner. My husband is working tonight, so I think we're gonna go get some ramen for dinner. So that's what I have in store. So nice. Last week I told the story of Stephen Stainer, Yes, and I alluded that that was like part one. It was part one of a two part series about the Stainer brothers, because Stephen not only had a crazy story, but his brother Carrie also had a crazy story. And Carrie is a little bit younger than Stephen, but they both went in very different directions. So before I get started, I would just like to remind everyone to hit the subscriber follow button on whatever AF you're listening to. And my story begins. In February of nineteen ninety nine, forty two year old Carol's son and her fifteen year old daughter, Julie Taken, family friend and sixteen year old Sylvina Palazzo to a vacation at Yosemite National Park. Sylvina had come from Argentina as a foreign exchange student. Carol had participated in a student exchange program when she was young, and she met Sylvina's mother during her time there. She rented a red Pontiert Grand Prix for three to four hour drive to Yosemite National Park, wanting to share the beautiful scenery and activities with the teenagers. They were going to stay the night and make the drive back the next day, where they planned to meet Carol's husband Gens. Well it's actually YenS, but it's spelled Gens. You know, Jay sounds like a why. They were going to meet him at the San Francisco airport to return the rental car, but they never showed up. YenS made frantic calls to the airport, the hotel, and their neighbors. No one had seed them or had any information on where they could be. Eventually he called the sheriff and the police. He thought they possibly had gotten maybe into a car wreck while driving back. It was February and there was still a good amount of snow and ice lingering in Yosemite Park. He said, the thought of violence or other criminal activities hadn't really crossed his mind at that point. Days turned into weeks with no new leads. The Palazzos family came from Argentina to join the search for their daughter. It was the largest search that had taken place in Yosemite history. Carol, Julie and Sylvina planned to stay near Yosemite at a rustic lodge in a prime location just seven miles outside the main entrance gate of the park called Cedar Lodge. The lodge was made of several buildings, an outdoor pool and hot tub, and detached restaurant. When law enforcement arrived at Cedar Lodge to conduct interviews, you know, gathering information, they toured around the grounds and had all the rooms opened up for them to search by the properties maintenance man. Flyers with the women's pictures and a photo of the car were in the news and hung up in the surrounding areas. On March eighteenth, nineteen ninety nine, so this is maybe like five weeks, a man named James Power stumbled upon a car, a Pontiac Grand Prix, while on a hike in Yosemite, about one hundred miles from the Cedar lodge in a secluded area about one hundred yards north of Highway one oh eight. The vehicle had been set on fire and had been burnt so thoroughly that there was no paint, rubber, plastic, or upholstery left. The hiker called, yeah, I know, it's quite a thorough.
Speaker 2: Job and right in the middle of nowhere in Yosemite.
Speaker 1: Right right. Hiker called the California Highway Patrol to report the location. When they arrived the following day, investigators opened the trunk and found the remains of two bodies burnt beyond identification. Evidence surround the car was collected. They had found the keys to the car, shoes, a personal CD player, and a camera. Within the pictures that had been taken with the camera, there were shots of Carol, Julie, and Sylvina. Photos of the ladies hiking through Yosemite ice, skating, and in their room at the lodge doing handstands and relaxing like those were all on the camera. When the bodies that were found in the trunk were eventually identified, they were found to be Carol's sunnd and Sylvina Palasso. Reports of the discovery of two of the three women being found spread across the country with one big question remaining, where was Julie. With so many unanswered questions and a killer on the loose, everyone was afraid. Tourism at Yosemite dropped, with even locals no longer visiting the park, resort, and restaurant. While spring had always been a time when Yosemite began blooming with greenery and new life, the spring of nineteen ninety nine was different. Searchers were combing through the countryside roads, ditches and the rivers round where the vehicle had been found, with no sign of Julie. It was in late March when the authorities finally received another clue. This one was in the form of a taunting letter. When it was opened, it showed a note that said, quote we had fun with this one end quote, with a crudely drawn map underneath. The map showed Highway one twenty, the Don Pedro Reservoir, and a place called Vista Point with an X marked close by. Searchers began feeling hope that with this clue they might find Julie alive. The investigation moved to the area shown on the map and a cadaver dog was brought in. It was about forty miles from where the car was found. The dog only needed ten seconds to find Julie's body. Oh my gosh, she had been raped and her throat was slit. Over the course of several weeks, a task force made of FBI agents and other law enforcement officers was created to begin rounding up suspects consisting of sex offenders, drug users, and next convicts with a history of violent offenses, focusing on people that would have been familiar with the area. It was stated in Newsweek quote, the FBI believes that the killer knows the area of abandoned gold mines well enough to hide the car off a spur road where locals dump old refrigerators, cars, and washing machines, and well enough to know that the smell of a burning car would likely not attract attention because the air often reeks from people burning their garbage end quote. It was mid April when the FBI announced the key players in the Sightseer slings had been arrested and were in jail on unrelated charges. Forty two year old Michael mick Larwick had been a longtime matthewser who grew up near the area where the bodies of Carol and Sylvina had been found arrested on March sixteenth after he'd allegedly shot a Modesto police officer, which led to a fourteen hour standoff. His long criminal rine didn't vode well for him during his lengthy FBI interview. Larwick's half brother, thirty two year old Eugene Rufus Dykes, had also been taken into custody due to an unrelated parole violation connected to one of his previous charges. Those previous charges included sex and weapons convictions. He was presumed to also have been involved in the women's disappearances. Other ex convicts the FBI presumed to be key players included Billy Joe Strange, a thirty nine year old parole working at the Cedar Lodge restaurant who'd been arrested when his parole officer went to visit him and allegedly smelled alcohol on his breath. Many people actually rushed to his defense, calling the FBI's suspicion a travesty. So just to put that in there.
Speaker 2: They're so desperate to to try to find somebody to pin it on, Yet to.
Speaker 1: Pin it on. Also taken into custody was Darryl Grace Stephens at fifty five years old. Stranger's roommate mister Stevens had been convicted in nineteen seventy eight for rape and robbery. He was jailed on March fourteenth for failing to register as a sex offender. By the summer of nineteen ninety nine, after the announcement of the arrests, tourists began returning to the park and things were beginning to go back to normal. Five months had passed with no other murders. People were feeling safe, believing that the predators were in custody. About nineteen miles from the Cedar Lodge on the western side of the park is an area called Foresta. Looking from some of the mountainous ridges above, you will see a place the locals called Big Meadow, where an old house referred to as the Grand Cabin sits. At the time, the cabin was owned by the Park Service and leased for a dollar a year to the Yosemite Institute, which runs educational programs throughout the park. During the summer of nineteen ninety nine, the cabin was occupied by twenty five six year old Joey Armstrong, employed as a naturalist at the park, Joey was responsible for educating children about the nature in Yosemite. Described as sensitive, loving, kind, and smart, she claimed to have not been afraid while she was employed there, while law enforcement was hunting for the killer that spring. Her diary celebrated the day the FBI announced that they had detained the suspects, stating quote the monsters are gone end quote. On July twenty first, nineteen ninety nine, Joey was picking up her Toyota Tacoma for a trip with friends. She never arrived at their meeting spot. Her friends knew Joey well, so they knew something had to be wrong. When her friends called Yosemite, the search for the young woman started immediately. Beginning in the cabin, investigators found debris on the floor of the bedroom, including broken sunglasses and a red mechanics hat. It wasn't until the next day, when the search of the grounds around the cabin began, that someone spotted what they thought was an inanimate object bobbing in the water. When they walked over for a closer look, they found Joey's decapitated body.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I know.
Speaker 1: Initially, investigators did not believe the two incidents were related. When Carol, Julie and Sylvina were killed, everything was cleanly done. There was no evidence to speak of. The scene of Joey's murder included a mountain of evidence. The events didn't compare, and the authorities didn't want to cause panic without knowing all the facts. Eyewitnesses had spotted a blue and white International Scout off road suv on the same road Joey lived on around the time she was murdered. Following the trail, investigators began searching for the owner to interview as a possible witness. The man they were looking for was the helpful maintenance man that had toured law enforcement around the Cedar Ridge when Carol, Julie and Sylvina had gone missing, a man by the name of Carrie Stainer, the star of our show Yes. Unfortunately, the FBI arrived at the restaurant of the Cedar Lodge announcing they were looking for the handyman, but he wasn't found a beyond the lookout. A BOLO alert was put out on the news for him, and they received a call from a woman named Janet DeMont. She informed them that she'd seen and had a conversation with the man they were looking for. When asked where, she told them he was at a resort called Laguna dal Soul. Laguna Del Soul is around a two hour drive north of Yosemite, just like any other resort with camping cabins, shuffle board, volleyball, a restaurant and bar. What sets this resort apart is the fact that it's also a nudist colony.
Speaker 2: Oh, hiding among the nids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the nids. When the FBI arrived to question the witness, the manager welcomed them inside, saying, quote, you'll be able to recognize him because he's the only one in clothes. I guess clothing was optional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't blend, Carrie. You're gonna want to blend.
Speaker 1: You need to take clothes off, okay.
Speaker 2: Real.
Speaker 1: As the agents approached him, Carrie stood up and put his hands in the air. He didn't ask any questions about why they were looking for him or what the questions were related to. The agents told him he was wanted for an interview and convinced the man to ride with one of them back to the FBI field office in Sacramento, two hours away. The other agent drove behind in a separate vehicle. During the drive, sitting in the front seat next to agent Jeffrey Reinick, Carrie was soft spoken and cooperative, described in much the same way as he was when he was interviewed for information in the case from that spring. He was helpful. The drive was long enough that the two men began to talk. Rhyinick said about the time he spent with Stainer driving. He said this, during that time we got to know each other. We were two guys that didn't know each other, that were stuck doing something that we really didn't want to be doing, and so we were making the best of it. We were just talking about us. The agent, recognizing Carrie's last name, asked him if he was related to Stephen Stainer, the childhood gone missing at seven years old. You know the story that I told you last week.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: As Carrie opened up about how upsetting it was that the man Parnell who had kidnapped Stephen, it was upsetting that he had gotten off so easily, Carrie became emotionally flustered, and he questioned the lenient sentence recounted by Nick. He said, he went to prison for seven years, and yet they held Stephen for seven years and he felt that was really not right, and I agreed with him. I had no problem. I agree with you, Yes, recalled right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Carrie was the oldest of delberton Ky's five children, and he was born on August thirteenth, nineteen sixty one, making him a leo. Such a leo that right smack dab in the middle of this middle. Friends said he was nice, quiet, creative, and extremely smart. It was said he looked after his siblings. At three years old, Carrie was diagnosed with trichotillomania, a condition which causes him to compulsively pull out his hair.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Although he was put on medication for the condition, it continued to affect him through high school, leading to bald spots, forcing him to always wear a hat, and caused him to be subject to severe bullying because kids are dicks.
Speaker 2: They are kids are dicks, and God forbid you have something like this, right, No, right, I mean you can't even have a freckle or a mole let alone a condition that you know, Yeah, you're doing your best to deal with. Sometimes I pull my hair out.
Speaker 1: Oka he causes noticeable catches. Yes, exactly, It's hard. Despite the teachers. I noticed that Carrie was exhibiting higher than average intelligence. He was moved to accelerated classes in junior high Also known as a talented cartoonist, being showcased in the school newspaper, he was ultimately voted most creative in his senior class. After Stephen's disappearance, the entire family dynamic shifted. His father became an emotional rock and his mother became extremely distant, raising her children almost an autopilot. Both parents became colder to the children that they were still raising. Carrie felt abandoned and neglected through it all. Carrie said that he would go out for walks at night and look at the stars, wishing on one of them for Stephen to come home, and then Stephen came back. When his brother returned, Stephen was practically a stranger, being forced to share a room. The teens didn't get along. Carrie felt he'd been put on the shelf when Stephen disappeared, but it was even more pronounced when Stephen returned, confirming his place in the background of his family, making him even more frustrated by the publicity surrounding his brother. After graduating high school in nineteen seventy nine, Carrie was lost. When he was overwhelmed or needed space, he would drive out on Highway one oh four into Yosemite in his pale blue and white nineteen seventy two International Scout and disappeared into the woods and smoked weed.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yes, Carrie had emotional difficulties, some that people knew about, and some he kept to himself. Beginning as young as seven years old, Carrie said he had begun fantasizing about abducting and murdering women. He was also found to have exposed himself to a friend of one of his sisters as a teenager, while the girl was staying over at their house. Carrie had crept under the cot she was sleeping in and reached up to touch her breasts. When she told him to go away, he left the room, only to reappear later fully nude, prompting her to tell him to leave a second time. When other boys age started dating, Carrie did not. He was believed to be the cliche, quiet, artistic type. Girls want to go out with the tall, dark, athletic boy who had brooding hazel eyes, but Carrie would never oblige. In nineteen eighty nine, Stephen passed away and shortly after, in nineteen ninety, Carrie's uncle that he'd been living with was shot and killed in the home they shared together. And the family has.
Speaker 2: Some gosh, that is so much for one family.
Speaker 1: One family, that's terrible.
Speaker 2: It's just yeah, it's to take it all in. I don't even know, like I put it myself in their mom's place, you know, like with Stephen gone. And then how last week we were talking about, you know, like the reacclamation into the family after being gone so long, he came back right before school started and bad a boom, bat a bang right back in school, right, you know. So that's just a lot of people going through a lot of things at the same time.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is Carrie's emotions began to boil. In the early nineties. Carrie was working as a window installer at a glass company after graduating high school. He developed a fantasy that he was going to ram a truck into the shop, killing everyone there, and then setting the place on fire. He had some crazy, intrusive thoughts.
Speaker 2: That is crazy, the only kind of violent. I remember when I was married and I didn't want to be married anymore, and I remember being like at this right turn on the street, and I thought, man, if they someone could just hit the driver's side because he was driving, you know, this would just work out. I would be, you know, safe from the impact. And she hadn't no longer married. So Steve would like, well, I can kind of relate to violent thoughts like that. But that was many many moons ago, yes, long time ago. But how do you just have these thoughts of just like I'm seven, what'd you say? He was thinking about killing and raping women already already? I know, what do you watch? I don't eat. But it's hard what he was going through at that time. Who knows?
Speaker 1: Yeah, who knows. Opening about his potential violent breakdown to his friends, they noticed his cry for help and took him to a mental health care center and got him checked, but soon after, Carrie checked himself out, preferring to take refuge in Yosemite. Soon after, Carrie went into work to pick up his paycheck and never return there for a shift, telling the owner he was thinking about moving. Struggling for decades to control his impulses, he ended up taking a job at the Cedar Lodge in nineteen ninety seven as a maintenance man. Yosemite had always provided him with serenity going up there to smoke pot and sun bathed naked. He was a highly regarded employee, to the extent that the owner would send his own kids out to help Carrie with the hotel maintenance and learn from him. With all the compliments that he got. Not all the people he came across had the wold pulled over their eyes. However, Tricia Howtis and her husband ran the restaurant at the lodge. Their daughter enjoyed swimming in the pool during the summer months, and she described how Carrie would stand and stare at their daughter while she was swimming, to the point that it would freak the girl out. She described him as cold and hateful. Tricia once even confronted Carrie saying, quote, if you go toward my daughter ever, I will destroy you. End quote.
Speaker 2: That's mama, bear right there.
Speaker 1: Yes, don't you like your kid?
Speaker 2: Exact right.
Speaker 1: None of this was known to the FBI agents at the point they went to collect Carrie at the Nudest Colony. He wasn't suspected of murder. The emotional connection the agent built with the man was genuine, and they built a bond. While talking about his brother, but Carrie was still manipulative. On the drive, Agent Ryanik kept looking over at Carrie and would say occasionally, quote, you look just like Billy Jack end quote, asking him if he ever saw the nineteen seventy one movie, Carrie would repeatedly deny having seen it. They also connected over a song in it called One Tin Soldier. Eventually, Carrie, Jeff, and the agent that had been following behind reached the Sacramento office for an interview, and before they walked in the door, Carrie stopped and said this line from the movie quote, I'm gonna take this right foot and I'm gonna whoop you that side of your face. There's not a damn thing you can do about it.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: Both men laughed as they walked in. But the fact that for the whole two hour car ride Carrie had denied seeing the movie and then could stand there and quote that line is a small window into the manipulation. Yes, like, why are you lying about it? It's just fucking weird, it is, But.
Speaker 2: That's a good peek into someone who's fucking with you, you know. It's just like, oh, I see, and it does kind of remind me of the quote did you ever watch kingo QUI means oh yeah. Remember Carrie wanted to get something inscribed that romantic that Doug had said to her, and it was the Eric Estrata movie with this monkey that he ends up saying, you didn't just save my life brown eyes. It's what Eric Strata said to the monkey. Doug said to Carrie, you made my life saving or something like that. Fucky love that show. But but the quoting and mm hmmm, it is a good window into the because I bet you he sent something like, come on, man, I know you saw it.
Speaker 1: You have to have seen it, you know, right, yeah, especially since he looks like the person is yes, it can't be the check it out just for that, right right.
Speaker 2: I can't believe I'm the first one telling you you look like this.
Speaker 1: Right in the field office, the agents and Carrie were sitting in a room together eating pizza in the episode of twenty twenty titled Evil and Eden. Because this is like an episode that made out of the story. The agent side quote as a general rule, when law enforcement are interrogating a suspect, they don't order a pizza end quote. But this was an interview, non interrogation either of the agents knew who they were bringing in. Carrie did, however, and while the agents were trying to decide where to start their interview, Carrie opened up and said, this is going to be my last meal as a free man. I can give you closure. The agents asked what closure, and he said, quote, I can answer questions for you about Joey and more dangling a confession. Carrie began his negotiation with three requests. First, a reward had been offered for information leading to the capture of the killer of Joey Armstrong. Carrie wanted his family to receive the reward money. Second, he wanted to end up in federal prison near his family. And lastly, he wanted child pornography pictures of young girls. Just a couple of images, but a stack, is what he said.
Speaker 2: That's he wanted a stack of child porn for the reward, to.
Speaker 1: Go to his family, yes, and to end up in federal prison. So Agent Ryanick says to him, well, you have to pick one. Which one of those three things do you want? And he chose the child porn.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: To get the discussion moving, the agents didn't say no and quote, you never say no. To them. You basically put them off, saying we're going to get to that. I know you want it. I'd like you to have it, but you move it down the ladder end quote to buy some time after that. Carrie Stainer's confession began on July twenty first, nineteen ninety nine. Carrie had left the Cedar Lodge in his blue and white International Scout and taken a back road known mostly to the workers, into foresta. This was something he regularly did. He genuinely enjoyed getting out into nature to relieve his stress. He got out of his truck and was walking, looking around and throwing rocks in the water. He wasn't hunting for anyone. An opportunity simply presented itself. He happened to look and notice a petite blonde girl moving in and out of the grand cabin. It looked like she was probably alone. Joey, excited about the trip she had planned with her friends, was going in and out of the house, pecking up her truck and getting ready to leave. As Carrie watched, he decided to get a little closer to get a better look. He went back to his truck to pull a green backpack out of the back seat. This was Carrie's murder kit. Inside held a twenty two revolver, a large knife, and a roll of duct tape. Approaching her, he began to make conversation, looking behind her and into the cabin. He wanted to make sure no one else was there. Quote. She stepped up on the porch and she was talking to me, and that's when I pulled out the gun and put it to her head. She turned around and freaked out, and I told her go inside. End quote. He used the gun to direct her into the house and into the bedroom, where he began binding her with the duct tape and stuffing a gag in her mouth. The large athletic man had a difficult time subduing the petite woman. She fought back with everything in her and he barely was able to win the struggle, but in the end he was able to constrain her arms with the tape. Using the gun again, he guided her to his car, picking her up and tossing her into the back seat before he drove away. While he was driving, she continued to fight back, Carrie said, quote. She started going crazy, just jumping all over the place in the back of the truck. I really couldn't control her end quote. She flung herself out through the window onto the road in front of a barn. I slammed the truck into park, and I jumped out, and she got up off the ground and started running. Carrie didn't expect this much of a fight. His fantasies never included any resistance. He gave chase, eventually catching up to her, after which he took the knife out of his back pocket and slit her throat. At the end of this confession, and without giving the kiddy porn to the now confessed killer, the investigation gators still weren't sure what the quote and more end quote portion of Carrie's confession entailed, or if they would ever find out. Attempting to coax it out of him, Jeff told the man, quote, you look better. You need to get the rest off your chest.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: There was a long dramatic pause before Carrie said, Okay, let's do it. In February nineteen ninety nine, Carrie had been working at the Cedar Lodge for two years. It was not the busy season, so he'd been laid off until tourism picked up in the spring. The area was deserted in the winter. February fifteenth was Monday, so many of the guests had left after Valentine's weekend. Carol, Julie and Sylvina's room, number five oh nine was far from the lobby, in a secluded, dark corner of the lot. The ladies had gone out to eat and went to the front desk to rent Jerry McGuire to watch in their room. It was determined that the final picture taken on the camera found in the woods of Carol and Sylvina sitting on the beds in the hotel room was taken about twenty minutes before Carrie knocked on the door. Carrie had been planning for years. He repeatedly played out scenarios in his mind. When he was walking to his room that night above the restaurant, he noticed there was a red car in the parking lot of the five hundred building, all by itself. The curtains to the windows were open, and when he walked by he could see women inside, three women. Noting there were no men around, he knocked on the door and when Carol answered, he told her that there was a leak in a room upstairs and he needed to access their bathroom to make the repair. Carol answered absolutely not right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The girls were in their pajamas and they were settling in for the night. When Carrie told her that if she didn't let him in, they would have to move to another room because the leak couldn't continue. She relented. Carrie said, quote, they let me in. I went to the bathroom and checked the fans where I told them the leak probably would be. When I came out of the bathroom, I pulled my gun out and I told them I wanted the money and keys to the car, directed Julie and Sylvina into the bathroom and used the duct tape to bind Carol before he strangled her with a rope so he kills.
Speaker 2: The adult first.
Speaker 1: When he was done, he wrapped her up and put her in the trunk of the red Pontiac rental car. Then he went back to the hotel room and released the teenagers from the bathroom, sexually assaulting them. Sylvina resisted. After she attempted to fight back, Carrie took her back into the bathroom and strangled her. He said, quote. The Paloso girl couldn't speak very good English and was crying a lot and Julie was very calm, She was very cooperative. She did everything I told her to, no tears, know nothing, unquote. Knowing seeing the body of her young friend lifeless would panic Julie. Carrie moved her into the neighboring room, Room five ten while he wrapped Sylvina's body and put her in the trunk with Carol. Then he went back to collect Julie, telling her to get in the car. It was getting pretty late, probably five o'clock or so in the morning. I told Julie we had to get someplace to go and I wouldn't harm her, so I put her in the car. Her hands were duct taped in front of her. I wrapped a pink blanket around her, and I just drove. I didn't know where I was going. I didn't know what I was going to do. I took Julie out of the car. I carried her down the pathway an agent Ryan had clarified that he was carrying her like a groom carries a bride, and I laid out the blanket. I guess I knew what I was going to do because I had the knife with me, and I slid her throat, saying after he killed her. He stood on the mountain marveling at the beautiful view of the rising sun.
Speaker 2: What a fucking asshole, I know. I also find it's very monstrous. I guess too as a serial killer to give a victim review. Oh she went ham, she was going crazy. She did everything I told her to do. Oh, she wasn't good in her English. Shut the fuck up. Nobody wants your opinion. Nobody wants you here.
Speaker 1: You don't need Yeah, I don't need your commentary.
Speaker 2: Thank you, dick.
Speaker 1: The next time Carrie was seen, he was one hundred miles from the Cedar Lodge in a town called Sierra Village, when he used a payphone to call a cab. His explanation to the driver was that he had come from Yosemite with some other people and they left him stranded there with no way back. The red Pontiac would eventually be found just a short walk from where the driver picked him up. After that confession, quite nonchalantly, Carrie added, quote, I'd been gone most of the day off the property. I was at my girlfriend's house, and I guess this girlfriend and her two daughters were my original intended victims. End quote. Okay, Carrie's girlfriend was a waitress in the restaurant at the Cedar Lodge in nineteen ninety eight. Her two daughters were in their preteens. They loved him and felt safe around him, describing him as handsome and warm. They said they felt he was like a big teddy bear. The day after Valentine's Day was the day he planned to kill his girlfriend and rape and kill her daughters. But while he was at her house there was another person there too, so he had to abandon his plan. But he said he was really amped up, quote unquote. He got back to the resort late and thought that he could calm down if he soaked in hot tub. He went down to the hot tub and it was dirty, and he was frustrated and annoyed. So he was taking a walk around the property when he saw Carol and the girls in the number five hundred building. The authorities arrested thirty seven year old Carrie Stainer in July nineteen ninety nine. Stainer accompanied law enforcement into Yosemite to help them find the murder weapon he used on Julie, as well as the duct tape. They also found his watch. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole for Joey Armstrong's murder after pleading guilty to premeditated first degree murder, felony, first degree murder, kidnapping resulting in death, and attempted aggravated sexual assault. He pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to the murders of Carol, Julie and Sylvena, but he was victed a first degree murder with special circumstances in one count of kidnapping. It was sentenced to death on August twenty seventh, two thousand and two. He is in San Quentin Prison right now.
Speaker 2: Awaiting his execution.
Speaker 1: Waiting his execution, but California has put a stay on all executions, so he'll never be executed. Probably. But he also did not get his kitty porn. Well, Yes, Sage asking the FBI agents for kitty porn with a straight face. Yeah, I can't even believe these guys, these men and women, the officers.
Speaker 2: They must hear some crazy shit shit that you know, would you really need to contain ourselves? Good cop, bad Cop. I just got done watching the other guys. And when Will Ferrell gets confused about the bad cop, good cop, so it's bad he does bad cop, bad cop. That's would be me. I'd be like, I'm always bad cop. Let me be bad cop.
Speaker 1: I know. I'm like, Okay, I want three things. I want family to have the money I want I forget what the second one was, and I want kitty porn. Okay, well you can only pick one. Okay, then I want the porn you're asking the FBI, Like, okay, I just do you.
Speaker 2: Know your audience? Yeah, you know who you're asking your venue.
Speaker 1: For, like a Playboy magazine or something.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, something just fucking piggish and illegal.
Speaker 1: Like the FBI is gonna hand over some illegal shit to you, our fucking evidence lacker for all the fucking kitty porn that we've rounded up over the years, and let me just sport through and pick up some good ship for you.
Speaker 2: Like really, what, sure, Carrie? Sure?
Speaker 1: Hold on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that get fucked. It's Winton. Well that is crazy about both brothers. Two tragedies in one family. Oh and then the one the uncle, Yes, who even knows. We just know about three and they are very horrific, you know, terrible, Like I'm glad you found this story. I had no idea that lightning could strike twice, you know in a way, like I.
Speaker 1: What you always think, right, Like, this is what I think about plane crashes. Okay, I always think, Okay, if there was one recent, I'm gonna get on the plane and I'll be fine. Because there was one that was recent. Ye it's been a few years or whatever. I'm like, ooh, it could happen to me. I know it's a stupid thought, but those are my thoughts. But I just am like, how can one family have such a horrific story more than once? Yes, completely different, right, but newsworthy and horrific and mind blowing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so many victims, including that whole family, you know, just amazing. But yeah, thanks for bringing it, Ninja.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. You're welcome. So thank you everyone for listening to this week's episode. Before you sign off, please hit the subscriber follow button on whatever. After you're listening to, you can go to our website. You can also listen there. It's Crimes Anddconsequences dot com. We have merchandise. I know we're gonna be redoing some of it, so we're working on it. And if you really enjoy the episodes that Shannon and I do, we have a Patreon. It is Patreon dot com, slash tnt Crimes. You can also subscribe through Apple Podcasts, and what you get with that is you get all of the weekly episodes that we published for free. You get those early release and you get one episode a week in addition to the ones we release for free. So if you're really enjoying the podcast, consider that for a very low price a month, you can do that.
Speaker 2: For great stories and entertainment. We are considering tasing around some ideas in the boardroom with one of the videos, maybe quarterly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, episode we're in like bondage wear and it will be called Crimes and Consequences and Tips and that should be a good show. I just made that up. I'm in a mood right now.
Speaker 1: You know, we're really yeah, we're hurting for subscribing.
Speaker 2: We're really scrambling for some creativity and.
Speaker 1: Go a different route.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really spice it up, all right, my friend?
Speaker 1: All right, my friend, I will see you later and thank you all for listening again. So until next week.
Speaker 2: Until next week, I love you, girl, See you guys.
Speaker 1: You bye.