Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: Out of the Ground. The Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird at the sky, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them. And whatever the man called a living creature, that was its name Genesis two nineteen. Well, that passage doesn't seem to cover fishes, but hey, I've got just the guy. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before. A giant, hairy creature part epe part masts.
Speaker 3: In Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 1: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 4: Mornster.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. This is an episode about science and cryptozoology. If you like monsters and you like science, this episode should be fun. Today we're talking with biologists Benjamin Frabele. Ben is an ichthyologist who works as a collection manager of the Marine Vertebrate Collection at Script's Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego. He's also a listener to this show and an enthusiast of cryptozoology, but foremost a dedicated scientists. Today, he's going to explain how life forms are actually named scientifically and how species are identified and then the process of that. We'll be talking about monsters, science, dinosaurs and silly names.
Speaker 5: Mornster Ben, how did you get into this field?
Speaker 6: Well, I have had a fascination with kind of the biodiversity of life, for the diversity of forms, since a fairly early age when I was when I was young, my my father collected fossils, and so we kind of had fossils all over the house, and you know, as every young child does. At some point I went through the dinosaur phase. And then at some point early on I got a book about seashore life and was just enamored with the diversity of seashore life, and over time it turned into fish. I will say that at least at some point Pokemon had a little bit of an influence at least later later on in my in my life. But then, uh yeah, I just and then when I got to university, I really wanted to pursue studying fish. It was fish was what I decided was an interesting group of animals and what I wanted to work on. And so once I was at university. I tried to find and if there was a collection there because it's kind of the best place to have interactions with the diversity of different types of fish on a daily basis. And yes, I just started there, and I've been working in museum collections pretty much ever since for about over ten years now.
Speaker 2: So there's there's several kinds of fish.
Speaker 6: So this is something that comes up a lot. And there's actually one of the curators at the Smithsonian this is something he will always yell about. Is there's fish versus fishes. So when you're using fish that way plural, it's actually just referring to everything of the group of fish of the same species. And when you say fish is it's referring to fish, multiple species of fish. So I actually had a little faux pod there earlier.
Speaker 1: I should have said fishes when I said fish. We didn't.
Speaker 5: We didn't notice.
Speaker 2: So let me see if I understand that correctly. If there's lots of goldfish, that's fish. But if there's goldfish and catfish, that's fishes. Yes, okay, I see that's interesting. And if I'm fishing, but if I'm fishing there's no fish, there's that's been my experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sam, all right, interesting.
Speaker 2: That is interesting. I suspect we're going to get into a lot of interesting things here. The reason we're having you on is actually because you reached out to us, which is great as a listener and a scientist working scientist about this topic which I've always found interesting, but I didn't really I never really thought about doing an episode about it. But I think this will be fun. We're actually going to talk about how animals are named. I'll probably call the episode something like Naming Monsters, but we'll probably talk about more common animals first. But I wanted to get to like, let's assume for a moment that our listeners represent a wide spectrum of expertise. So I imagine there's some people who have no idea how this works or even how animals are named at all, and people who are actually working in the field. We're all over the place. But because I know a lot of our listeners are young people who are interested in science, can you talk a little bit about the normal process, kind of at a high level, for how one goes about identifying and naming species.
Speaker 6: So when people discuss it, they kind of break it down into a bunch of different parts. The initial part is the discovery of the new species, which can come in a lot of different and interesting ways. For me, and I think a lot of ichthyologists or people that study fishes like myself, it's not as glamorous as one might think. You're sitting in a museum, you're comparing some dead fish that somebody collected in the seventies together. You know, notice one of them looks a little different, and you know it's from a slightly different part of the world or maybe slightly different habitat, and you go from there. That's one way of discovery, and that's honestly how a good number of them in terms of fish, and and throughout this interview, I'm actually gonna kind of mostly focus on fishes because that's what I know best. I know in other fields of zoology and in botany, the species description process can vary a little bit.
Speaker 1: Especially in botany.
Speaker 6: It's it's it's somewhat similar, but there it's very confusing as to what a species even is in plants, so I'm gonna refer refer mostly to to fish and vertebrate life. But anyways, so you know, you could find it in a museum. You could be fortunate enough to find it out in the field. You could you could have a fisherman may have caught one. But it's very difficult to describe a species off of one specimen, and so you go out on a purpose, purposeful expedition and try to collect more.
Speaker 1: And you can get lucky and do that.
Speaker 2: Interrupting me, why would it be difficult with one specimen? Is it because of like sexual dimorphism or that sort of thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that that type of thing you you want in a species description. It's you know, it's not a hard and fast rule that you have to have more than one specimen available, but it is definitely preferred because you can show that, oh, you didn't just find this one deformed or diseased individual of a commonly known species that you may just with one. You can also it's really good to present kind of the wide range of characters from a good number of specimens of the new species, so you can give, like, you know, something along twenty three to twenty five dorsal fin spines instead of just saying twenty three dorsal fin spines on this one specimen that I looked at and I guess that comes to another point, which we can talk about a little bit later, because this could take.
Speaker 1: A little tangent.
Speaker 6: Recently, actually just within the last year, there's been some some back and forth in science and nature, some of these you know, higher broader audience to research journals talking about describing species from photographs. This is kind of put forward by I think some ornithologists, people who study birds that don't want to kill these very rare and endangered birds to have specimens in a museum, and so they would like to try to describe I think they're actually more just in a subspecies, which is below the species level description, more for like a population. But they proposed that, hey, let us use a very high quality image as the specimen quote unquote for this description, and as you could imagine, there's actually been quite a lot of backlash and people being like, no, this is a very bad idea.
Speaker 2: A blurry bigfoot photo would not really count though, right, I mean you're talking about extremely high resolution.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I think a lot of this actually had already shaken up in the literature back in like the late nineties, people were talking about describing species from picks, and I know, at least in the cryptozoology world. I think there are about I think three at least three cryptids that have had formal quote unquote formal species descriptions, all from images, not specimens. Surprisingly, and so there was actually a little bit of discussion of this in uh, the more mainstream scientific literature back when this when this happened, I guess it was all precipitated by the description of Caddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one of my that was one of my questions. Yeah, I don't want to say, I don't want to take us off of the tangent yet, so we will actually come back to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, How often are new species found of new pisches?
Speaker 6: So, at least in the fish world, it's it's fairly frequent. You know, Like I myself am working on at least one at the moment, I know of a bunch of other undescribed species that are just kind of floating around.
Speaker 1: And so there's a.
Speaker 6: Database kind of that's that some researchers of the California Academy of Science put together called Catalog of Fishes, and they have done a really good job of keeping track of new species descriptions, changing of names, and all these taxonomic things that happen with fish, and I think it's roughly about four hundred new species of fish are described every year. Wow, So it's pretty it's actually pretty high. It's more than one a day, I guess, if you're going to break it down.
Speaker 1: That way, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 6: It can fluctuate, you know, there's some years where only three hundred get described or two hundred, but it's still And this is something I think a lot of people don't realize. And something I when I, you know, was first getting started in ichthyology as a as an undergraduate, didn't realize is.
Speaker 1: How much we actually don't.
Speaker 6: Have the diversity of life sorted out in biology class. You kind of just get this preconception that, oh, we already know what all the species are. Like it's some guys to carry that back in the eighteen hundreds. People don't realize that it's still very much active, especially in less populated parts of the world. So, you know, I think probably the three richest areas of effort in fish biology, at least fish taxonomy or South America freshwater systems, which is what I did a lot of my graduate work in and there it's you can't sneeze in a neotropical collection without uncovering a new species. And then Africa, African freshwaters and Southeast Asian freshwaters are all kind of the big where a lot of species are coming out of.
Speaker 2: Neat So basically the looking well, although I hear people talking about like if you go to these places where people haven't looked, they find these species, but I also hear people finding new species of smaller life forms in their own yards even.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So that's you know, going back to just kind of the original process, I mean, the discovery of it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: That's another way is people find it by acts it when they're looking for something else. So you have all these fun stories of somebody who's like an ornithologist and they're, you know, doing a dissection on this seagull and they find this weird little parasite and it turns out to be like a new genus or something like that of parasitic amphipod or tapeworm or whatever. Or people who are focusing on a group of organisms that just haven't been very well studied. Again, a lot of those tend to be very small. The bigger an animal is more well studied, it tends to be.
Speaker 2: They're easier to study because they're big, I don't know, as opposed to.
Speaker 6: There's a point where it gets a little difficult, like with whales or your arts. We actually know very very little about their biology just because it is hard to track them down and see what they're up to. You can't put them in the aquarium, you know, easily.
Speaker 2: No, No, it's tricky. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So finding so many new species all the time, does this make it more or less likely that aquatic cryptids might exist?
Speaker 1: Or yeah?
Speaker 6: So, I mean, so that aspect of it, as I was just you know, as we were just talking about, like the size does kind of play into it.
Speaker 1: Big new big things are not discovered nearly as frequently.
Speaker 6: And and a lot of new species descriptions are especially in the last fifteen or so years with the rise of using genetics to kind of poke around in evolutionary history. A lot of new species are things that look very similar to other species and people just didn't really notice that they were different.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: And so is that like the.
Speaker 2: Convergent biology are you talking about, like two, No, it's very closely related, right, closely related? Okay, got it.
Speaker 6: And so that's actually like i'd say, the majority of species that I personally have described is that's been the case where the two fish. You know, if you're not necessarily an expert in the group, or you're just out collecting, you catch a bunch, you are like, oh, there's a little bit of variation in the color pattern of the species, but you put them in the same jar, set them over to the collection, and then like thirty years later, I come along and I'm like, oh, let's run some genetics on the one with the spots versus the one that doesn't have spots and see if.
Speaker 1: They're the same actually or not.
Speaker 6: And a lot of times they do turn out to be genetically distinct closely related species, But there are instances of convergence as well. It's usually the like convergence, as in two things that aren't all related looking similar, don't. The differences are less subtle than between closely related species.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, sure, I think here about the there's so many species that sort of mimic other species for defensive purposes. Oh yeah, I love that, and I love Fasmin's anyway. I so let's step back a minute about this process. So we've talked here about how you find you species, but that doesn't really just give you the right to name it. First of all, you've got to prove it's new, right and then yeah, so how does that work? Is that always done through journals?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So, up until I think nineteen thirty one, it was kind of all over the place, you know, so, I guess just a brief history lesson on naming species conventions. All of this was kind of started in you know, the Age of Enlightenment. In the seventeen hundreds, people started talking about trying to do a better job categorizing the organisms around them and categorizing life. It's all culminated in carl Lenaeus, Carlas Linaeus, who's a researcher, I believe in Sweden. He's a botanist mostly, but he published this giant work called system A Natura, Systema Nature, and in that he kind of tried to categorize all organisms, plants, and animals that he knew about, most of which are from Europe. But in that he also made up what's called binomial nomenclature. You know, this is the scientific name of a species. This is the species genus name and the species name like saens. Yeah, so Homo sapiens is the Homo's the genus sapiens is the species sapiens. The second sapiens is the subspecies name cool. And so this kind of became the naming convention. Prior to that, people had already played around with kind of these descriptive names, but they were making them like twelve words long, all in Latin, and so you'd have something like, you know, just I wish I had a good example, but it would be describing this one little fish from the Mediterranean, and it had just like three lines worth of very long Latin words describing it. People realized that was a little overkill, so we ended up with just kind of these two names, and then this hierarchical classification system that Lena has developed as well, with with with the help of some other researchers and other people's notes, and so this is where you you know, you've taken you back to u high school or middle school biology class, kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species, and kingdom.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Yay high school.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And so so it's stuck and that's what people are still using there. There are some camps that see, you know, because it is kind of an artificial system that humans has classifiers as organizers have developed to deal with trying to sort out the very complex history of life. There are some people that really don't like it. There have been a lot of proposals to kind of come up with a different system.
Speaker 1: So there's like this thing called was like.
Speaker 6: Philo code, where you're kind of really just focusing only on the tips, like the species. When you say like tips on a tree, I guess if you're looking at like a phylogene and evolutionary tree, the tip is the species, right, And so it kind of removes this hierarchy, which does kind of get confusing sometimes, but I think that makes them more confusing. So we've stuck with what Linaeus came up with over you know, a couple hundred years ago, and so in terms of in terms of that, people were kind of describing stuff all over the place. The early literature is very sticky and hard to get through. It's the descriptions. Linus's descriptions were like two sentences long. It's not great to only describe a new species and two sentences it doesn't really get a lot of information across.
Speaker 1: And people you know, started.
Speaker 6: Expanding on this, but it's still was kind of not standardized. It was all over the place until in the nineteen thirties they had a big meeting and they developed what's called the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature, and in plants, there's also the Internet Code of Botanical Nomenclature. They meet every I don't know ten or fifteen years and kind of make a new edition of the IC. We call it the ICZN, the International Code Zoological Nomenclature, and.
Speaker 1: It's this book.
Speaker 6: It's not huge, and one pages in French, one pages in English, because apparently those are the only two languages that matter in taxonomy.
Speaker 1: And it just lays down all the rules.
Speaker 6: So when you are just defining a new species and describing it, you have to write a formal description. You have to provide an illustration of the species or a or a photograph of the species, and then you have to deposit what are called type specimens or type material at a museum or you know, at some sort of institution where it is publicly available for other people to look at.
Speaker 2: What's a type specimen. I hear that all the time with Bigfoot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a type specimen is when you're doing your description, you kind of set aside to two different types of types. There's a holotype and then there are paratypes. So the holotype is the model specimen for this your hypothesis. What you're hypothesizing is a new species. So like that is going to stay at the museum, and that is going to be the one that if you think, oh, I don't really think that's a new species because it looks really similar to this other species that was already described, you can go to that museum, ask for the holotype, check it out, and you know, really that is the one that you, as the researcher doing the description, want that specimen to show all the characteristics that you think make that a.
Speaker 1: New species or its own species.
Speaker 6: The typing, as I said, was kind of made up in the late eighteen hundred's early nineteen hundreds. So unfortunately, there's not actually a type for Homo sapiens. Where I can't remember, Oh, somebody wanted to have their body set I think maybe like Cuvier. It was a very famous French naturalist and anatomist. I think wanted his body to be the type of Homo sapiens.
Speaker 2: Wow, I mean, sho't shouldn't they dig up carl and Ans I mean, would that be.
Speaker 6: Proposals of doing that as well, and so, and then you have what are called paratypes, which are.
Speaker 1: Kind of you choose how many there are going to be.
Speaker 6: You usually want to get like a bunch of specimens from what you think the geographic range, from all over that range, and then you know, a good variation in terms of the size. Or you could also have like different levels of development, so you could have larvae, you could have subadults, or you know, if you're dealing with plants, you could have you know, the seeds and the fruit and the whatever. And so you have all those and you call those are paratypes. So those are also called secondary types, and those are also supposed to be very good representatives of what you think is a new species.
Speaker 1: And you usually.
Speaker 6: Also tend to and it gets the paratypes at a lot of different museums, not just one place, so they're kind of spread out so people can see that in different parts of the world. So you have to write your formal description, you need a picture, you need to designate some types, and then you also have to propose a name and then explain the name.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I've got a question following from that point, and I guess this is a question that.
Speaker 5: You never hear ever at all. So to name all new species after yourself?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so that is in the International Code Zoological Nomenclature. That is one of the things you are not allowed to do. Oh but other people can name them after you, okay. And so if you're working in a field long enough it like in fish taxonomy, probably eventually somebody will name something after you, which is awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Or if you were doing cephalopods, you could be squid pro quo.
Speaker 6: So yeah, so there can be some pretty funny signic names out there. I wrote down a little list of just some fun ones. We can go through that now, or we can you know, do it later in the episode of Whatever.
Speaker 5: Are you gonna say?
Speaker 2: I'm so interested in this topic. I didn't believe I've got I'm just very I have lots of questions. But yeah, let's let's talk about some fun names. Yeah, and then back to the hard science because.
Speaker 6: This so in terms of the names, I mean, that's like the kind of the more interesting part of it, right. You know, you see a lot of names like we can use cad Burrosaurus Willis I as a good example, the so Cadburro serus is the genus Willis I is the species Willis I is named in honor of whoever Willis Willis was their last name, and then it's it has to be latinized, so there's an eye on the end of it, which is the the conjugation for a male name masculine gendered uh noun, and so it's one I. Sometimes two eyes are also present, so sometimes it'll be like Willis willisy I is how you pronounce that it's two eyes And that kind of has more to do if if if the name itself is actually derived from a Romance language, the endings can be a little different because you are turning it into Latin. So if like you wanted to name it Saint Peter, you'd be like Sancty Pit Tree would be would.
Speaker 1: End up being the name. It wouldn't just be Saint Peter I.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it's a little complicated, but so you'll see you'll see a lot of species with you know, a name and then Willis I.
Speaker 1: Something else you'll also see is.
Speaker 6: The if it's named after somebody, it'll instead of being Willis I, it'll be Willis E. As an it ends in an ae, and so that is the feminine uh does conjugation. I guess ending that you would use in an in an honorific name, which is one that you name after somebody else. So if it's named after a female researcher or your wife or you know, your daughter or something like that, you put an A on the end of it, and you see those all over the place other names. You know, people usually make the name somewhat descriptive. So the first species that I described as a lizardfish in the genus I Nototus, and the species is macro stigmas. Macro means big in Greek and Latin, Stigmas means spot, so you could think like like stigmata, you know, people thinking that they have the wounds of Christ on their hands. Stigmas means spot. And this fish, the best character for telling it apart from the other one is it has a much bigger.
Speaker 1: Spot on the side of its head.
Speaker 6: So you tend to do simple things like that. But a lot of times again these names come into it. So there's a pretty pretty well known in theologist here on the West coast named John mccoscar. He did his PhD here at Scripts Institution of Oceanography. He's studied fish all over, so he has a genus of fish named after him called micoscar ickfis, which is kind of a mouthful, but that literally just means my Coscar's fish neat and a pretty good example of Also, just one more example of that that we can get into talking about a little bit more later because it's probably one of the most interesting fish species discoveries ever is the selacanth, which is this fantastic prehistoric looking lobed finfish that was discovered in deep deep reef habitats off of southern Africa.
Speaker 2: I am so glad you brought that up. It was on my list of options. I was like, I didn't know if you want to talk about it, but it's absolutely something I want to talk about.
Speaker 6: So yeah, yeah, And so its scientific name is Latimera chilumni.
Speaker 1: At least the species from Africa.
Speaker 6: There's actually a second species that was described in two thousand and four, which is latin Area metadonensis.
Speaker 2: I believe set the one off of is it India ai in Anesia? Okay?
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so Latimera chilumni, the genus is latim Area. It's named and isn't honorific for Marjorie Courtney Latimer, who was the naturalist. She was a curator at the small small museum in East London, South Africa, and she was the first person to get a Seala camth because her buddy, who's a fisherman, was bringing her a bunch of shark specimens and he's like, hey, we also caught this thing.
Speaker 1: Do you want it?
Speaker 6: And she had no idea what it was. She did have some ichthological training. She wasn't so much of an ichthyologist, but you know, she had taken fish biology or echtheology, and she was, I have no idea what his fishes. I'm definitely gonna take it. She sent an illustration of it to this researcher J.
Speaker 1: LB.
Speaker 6: Smith, who was a very prolific ichthyologist down in the main museum there in South Africa, and this fun little postcard with this little drawing by her of it.
Speaker 1: He saw it thought he was going.
Speaker 6: Crazy lost his This fish disappeared from the fossil record eighty million years ago. How could you find this thing still living? It is one of the greatest finds, probably in the twentieth century of a new species. It's up there with like the okapi and some of the other kind of you know, more fanciful things that it turned out to be actual species.
Speaker 1: So J. L. B. Smith described it in.
Speaker 6: Nineteen thirty nine and he named it latim Area in honor of Marjorie Courtney Latimer. And then the species name is Chalumny and that's actually named after the river that he caught it kind of in. The fisherman who trawled it up he caught it in between the Chilumna River, which is I think off of somewhere in South Africa, and so that's the species is named in honor of that river.
Speaker 2: It's the river he came up. I mean there are deep water saltwater fish, right, I mean there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, But he caught it kind of like in front of like the near the mouth of that river in the ocean.
Speaker 1: He didn't catch it in the river interesting itself. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 6: And so the other species of Silacan latin Area menado ensis is named so the ending ensis means a place, so it's from the island of Menado. I don't know if I'm pronouncing that correctly in Indonesia.
Speaker 1: And so this is so it would.
Speaker 6: Be you know Latim area, So Latimer's fish from Menado.
Speaker 2: Ah, so that makes more sense. So Grover Krantz named Bigfoot Gigantopithecus Canadas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Canada canadensis.
Speaker 2: Which is afterwards Canada.
Speaker 6: I guess, yeah, that's the same species epithet that the beaver has. Actually, so the beaver scientific name at least they one in the in the US is castor canadensis.
Speaker 2: There we go, Okay, yeah, but these these sort of hypothetical names, they they they only would be real names if they were they follow the rules in your your book.
Speaker 6: There, Yeah, right, and so so we can we can talk about that now if you'd like.
Speaker 2: Well, before we get off Seila Camps, I wanted to mention something about them that I think is interesting. They are like a poster child for cryptozoology, which is funny to me because well, cryptozoology could be described as the hunt for you know, hidden animals or mystery animals. I always imagined, or always felt like it should be animals that people proposed existed, and no one was really proposing that Ceila Camps was still alive.
Speaker 5: A good point.
Speaker 2: There wasn't like a rich folklore about it. It just they discovered it was still alive, and you know, it overturned the idea that it was extinct. But that's not the same as as a mysterious animal that people claim to see and then they find out it's real. Like the O copy is better. But I don't know why this Ceila camp gets such an exalted place in cryptozoology, because it's.
Speaker 6: Something that I always also always kind of confused about as a kid. You know, I was in trusted in you know, cryptozoology and you know, mythological stuff like this.
Speaker 1: This is why I listen to the show.
Speaker 6: I've still am very interested in it, and you know, I get these cryptozoology books and the seilcanth would always be in there.
Speaker 1: But I was like, hmm, why, Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Is peculiar, and maybe that's maybe they like a more expensive I mean, it's not like there's an organization or body that determines what is a cryptid. But but they I think I feel a little bit like that's cheating in a way, you know.
Speaker 6: And but I think what it what it is with the ceilicanth actually is that it highlights this living fossil. Uh, you know that I think a lot of people want cryptids to be living fossils, you know, lake monsters, Yeah, exactly, big bigfoot as No, that's that's a very good point, really, Gigantopithecus.
Speaker 2: So I want to throw out something else. Again, I'm not a biologist, but I read a lot. And one of the things that bugs me about the whole idea of living fossils is there are several species around that that seem to have the strong morphological resemblance. They appear in form quite like their ancient ancestors, but that does not mean that they have not evolved. They could have undergone tremendous molecular changes over the course of these millions of years, and we just don't know it because we don't have the genetic material from those ancient bodies.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so something that's really interesting with some of these living fossils, sorry to cut you off, no problems, is that a lot of them like So, there's this thing called the lungfish, which is another type of lobed fin fish. So these are different than most other fishes. Vacilacanthus is of lobed finfish as well, in that at the base of their fins they have a number of bones and in the history of the evolution of life. Ancestor of tetrapod organisms was a lobed finfish that crawled up, you know, into a muddy environment and these little bones in the base of their fin turned into the bones of our arms are laid our hands. So these are a very ancient, very interesting group of fishes, and they led to, you know, the radiation of land tetrapods, on land tetrapods being you know, four limbed vertebrate animals like.
Speaker 2: Quick shout out to our friends at Tetrapod Zoology and the Tetzoo podcast.
Speaker 6: Yeah so, but what is really crazy is a lot of these TETs, these lungfish have some of the largest genomes of any animal. Their genomes are just like billions upon billions of base care. They're huge because they've just been around. This lineage has existed for so long that they've just kind of gone through a lot of what are called genome duplications, and they just ended up with just these absurdly large genomes. Cilacants also have a very large genome. But yeah so, in terms of morphology, though, it is a lot of these things they call living fossils are called such because they look exactly like they're you know, eighty million year old or one hundred and seventy million year old fossil. And part of what that is is that they found a morphology that works, and it works in a lot of different conditions for some or very specific conditions, but it's worked right, and so there's not a lot of incentive incentive in natural selection or even drift to get away from that morphology. So you see this in like nautilus, you see this in scorpions, you see this in you know, like some lobsters.
Speaker 1: You see it in ginko. That's actually Genko is a great.
Speaker 6: Example is the last you know thing, and it's entire what entire order is this one ginko biloba biloba, and it looks exactly the same as ginko did two hundred or one hundred and fifty million years ago. So that's I think what is so interesting about these things we call living fossils, right.
Speaker 2: It is crazy because what that means is, even though they may be really biologically different, in a molecular level, those same crocodile would probably be really sexy to their ancient ancestors, right, I mean, they're good.
Speaker 5: Potentially yeah, wait of putting it.
Speaker 2: Although I think I think the other thing is we the You've really already highlighted a great way how much expertise comes into play with these sort of classifications, and for the average layman, you know, I you know, most people probably couldn't tell the difference between a cayman and an alligator. I mean, you know what I mean. I mean, it's just all going to look like a crocodilian and that's you know, as much as they need to know.
Speaker 6: And so I think that is definitely a very important part of describing new species, is that you really need to have the expertise of the organism that you're dealing with, and uh to provide a meaningful description. You know. It's there's all kind of these people who who want to describe a new species and maybe say they're like an ecologist. They are a good scientist, but they're not very well versed in fish taxonomy and evolution.
Speaker 1: The description that they would do is not necessarily the best.
Speaker 6: And there's a lot of times where people have gotten themselves kind of in trouble or just like really wrote a really bad paper and it somehow gotten got published and so the name is there, but the original description is very bad or very poorly done, so somebody could has to go back and say, redescribe the species, which also happens a lot with some of these, like you know, ones from the early eighteen hundreds where they literally wrote three sentences. You know, somebody will go back and what's called redescribe it. And so the expertise really is important, and that's something that's kind of scary, especially in taxonomy. You see articles about this pop up every once in a while that taxonomists are a dying breed. It's not focused on very heavily in undergraduate education anymore, and a lot of a lot of people don't go into it just because it's hard to get the grant money. You know, it's hard to make this sexy to the layman. To some degree, it can be very sexy, but you know, it's it's you're not you're not curing cancer, you're not developing a super weapon. So it's it's a little harder to fund, and it's tedious and people find it kind of boring. So as I said, you know, you have to write a very detailed description. What this entails is, you know, writing a very detailed description of the external anatomy of the organism, and then you have to do all, at least in fishes, you have to do all these proportional measurements. So like you know, snout length, eye diameter, length of first dorsal fin spine, anal fin length, caunal peduncle depth. That's one of my personal favorite anatomical parts of a fish.
Speaker 4: I think it's insulting us.
Speaker 2: I think you just cast some sort of hobbits. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So the peduncle is the area like at the base of the fish's tail. I don't know where I you know, I've looked this up at some point in the past, but I couldn't tell you where that name came from. Sure, But so you have all these measurements. You usually give a table. You know, you count, so you count all the dorsal fin spines, you count all the rays, you do an X ray, and count all the vertebra.
Speaker 4: So I wanted to ask how has molecular biology and DNA typing affected species naming. Are there corrections that have come into place over time?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So, I mean it as soon as people started being able to do molecular methods cheaply in the nineties, it really took off, especially in the world of systematics and taxonomy, but people all see it for population biology that some folks use it to kind of identify new species. So that's another way is that you just collect a whole bunch of fish from an area you of the same type, you know, put them all together in a tree. You can either do this like purposely looking to see if there's going to be some genetic differences, which might be a little cheating but not really you're still finding new species, or you do it by accident. You just put everything that you collected together in a phylogeny with you know, sequencing a couple genes, and you find this lineage that you didn't have any idea was you know, present. And so that's one that's how you can say, find a new species using molecular methods. But this has also helped a lot with species delineation, especially in not so much in fish, but in birds. There are tons of subspecies and also in mammals, and molecular methods have really kind of given us a better idea of how closely related some of these are. Say, you know, we're calling this a subspecies, but it's actually genetically not at all different or subspecies, and there's genetically very different, so we need to bump that up to a species.
Speaker 2: Like the panda question. Is a panda bear or is it related to raccoons?
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 6: Above the species level, it's molecular methods are at this point indispensable, especially above the species level, trying to figure out the evolutionary history of a group. Again, it's been quite a few million years, a lot of stuff's happened, billions of members of that lineage have coming gone, a lot of things can happen, and so molecules really do hold a lot of that information. So it depends on at least in fishes, I feel like it depends.
Speaker 1: On where.
Speaker 6: How what the fish you're describing is Like I guess that's not a good way of putting it, But say, if it looks very similar to another species and you're trying to say it is a different species, at this point you probably want to have some molecular results in that paper and be like, yeah, I know it looks really similar, but I have found a few differences. And also if you look at their genetics, they are pretty different species.
Speaker 2: Of course, that implies that if there are species that look a lot alike and people haven't studied them. That we're going to find even more speciation with lots and lots of molecular.
Speaker 6: Studies, And I mean that's kind of it has actually ramped up a bit since of using molecular methods.
Speaker 2: Well, you hit on an interesting thing that I never really thought much about before, which is that Linnaeus was operating about one hundred years before Darwin. So how does species naming work with the evolutionary tree?
Speaker 6: So you know, scientific binomial nomenclature. Linnaeus's classification system is artificial.
Speaker 1: It's things.
Speaker 6: At the species level, it's a it's an entity that you can wrap your head around. For the most part is it is not clear cut. But at least you could say this group of organisms that all look the same are probably related. But once you get above kind of like the genus level, things start to get a little like what is a genus?
Speaker 1: What is a family? What is an order?
Speaker 6: Things start to get a little fuzzier, and there's actually not very good definitions of what those things are there. There are like written definitions, but in terms of operational definitions, what a family is versus what a genus is like I could get you know, think of just a group of fish, where the diversity of different shapes of fishes that occur in this one genus are more diverse than this the like six genera in this one family. And so it's kind of the Lenaean system does have its flaws, and a lot of those relate to kind of just these higher level bunching of species.
Speaker 1: But you can, you.
Speaker 6: Know, evolutionarily in using molecular methods, kind of if you make what's called a phylogenetic tree, you know, kind of sort out how things are related by comparing kind of like a trix of characters to construct a topology just kind of like a branching figure of relatedness, and you can see distinct clades. A clade is a bunch of you know, organisms or these what I call tips or branches that branch off together, and you know, these do correspond to what we're calling genera or a genus, what we're calling a family, that kind of thing. So it does hold up for the most part, but there's definitely it's blurry, sure.
Speaker 4: Okay, And in some of the correspondents we had before the show, you mentioned a little bit about lumpers and splitters. Can you tell us a bit about those?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so that's a that's a pretty fun aspect of it. So lumpers are people that try to lump everything together. They you know, see a couple spec or you know people some somebody might describe two species that look very similar and are only different. The only difference is maybe slight difference in body shape or someone along those lines, and they'll be like, no, I don't think I don't think that's that other that one should be a different species. I'll just use lizardfish as example. But say, like, okay, so there's this fish, Synodus feet tends in the Caribbean and the Gulf, and the Gulf and the coast of the United States. There was another species that was described by a guy in the thirties called Sinotus bondai. In the sixties, somebody was like, no, I don't think that looks different enough to actually be a different species. So they do they sink it or they synonymize it, so they're like, no, this is not actually a different species. This name is referring to Synodus feet tens. So what happens is Synodus bondai becomes a synonym of I Nodus feet tens. Somebody could come along later and pull it back out and be like, no, it was actually here's evidence to show that it.
Speaker 1: Is actually a different species. And so the.
Speaker 6: Lumpers are people that try to kind of rein it back in and put put it back in minimize the number of distinct species. I guess too, because they you know, it's they see it as either overkill or they think people are going a little crazy with their species descriptions.
Speaker 1: So splitters are kind of the opposite of that.
Speaker 6: They're splitting everything up to the most divisible level, I'd say, at least in ichthyology. For the most part, younger ichthyologists tend to be more on the splitting side of things than people of the kind of the early baby boomer generation icthyologists tend to be more on the lumping side of things.
Speaker 2: Would you say that's because it's easier to do the splitting, and they're looking to make a name for themselves.
Speaker 1: Potentially, that was that was horrible.
Speaker 2: I've cracked myself up. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I was like prepping myself for your puns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's no preparation, there's nothing you can do.
Speaker 6: Sorry, but Yeah, no, so, I mean that's probably part of it. But I think with molecular methods, especially splitting has gotten kind of the upper hand because we are finding these molecular differences that people can propose correspond to new species. But something that's really interesting in there that I'm just gonna mention very briefly, is the cutoff. Like in a molecular study, when you have a genetic a tree based on sequencing a couple genes, what percent difference you use to say this is a different species than this one is kind of like not very standardized. People tried to standardize it. They tried to standardize using this one gene called cytochromoxidase one CO one, the barcode gene. Don't know if you've ever heard the barcode, the genetic barcode. It's this one gene that you know all organisms have. It's in the mitochondria. No, and people try to use that as like the species gene, like this one varies the best between species for telling species apart.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, it has its flaws.
Speaker 6: I mean it's a mitochondrial Geneu's not part of the nuclear genome.
Speaker 1: It's part of a different completely different genome in the.
Speaker 6: Body, so it's has those flaws, and for different groups of animals, their mitochondria can evolve very differently and very much faster slower than other ones. Anyways, So in in cytochromoxidase one, they just some people wrote a paper in like two thousand, I want to say, five or six and they're like two percent genetic difference as they cut off for species in mitochondria I mean in cytochromoxidase one COO one. But that doesn't really hold up too well because there are people that are just going to make the argument, oh, this is one point two percent difference. No, there's still definitely different species. Look at how different they look. So it's kind of an arbitrary somewhat not necessarily arbitrary, but not the best cut off.
Speaker 2: I guess I think it's probably worth mentioning that the whole idea of species is kind of a human construct. I mean, I mean.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, as I've mentioned, with like kind of system.
Speaker 2: This is one of those topics where I think most working scientists, especially biologists, would you know, the idea of evolution and natural selection is a given you have to it's obviously real right.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I know it's not.
Speaker 2: And it's kind of funny because you've got this other thing going on where people just don't want it to be real and are looking for little excuses for why it's broken or it can't work because they find one thing that they feel like is an exception. Meanwhile, you're going so deep, right, everything is related. We're all related every living thing. If you bring in like one living thing that doesn't have DNA, yeah, okay, well show me right. But other than that, everything seems to have a really nice relatedness. But the idea of species is so complicated, even though everybody thinks they know what it is right exactly.
Speaker 6: It's one of these things you know that you can think of another example of something like that, where you you know what it is, but.
Speaker 1: You can't actually describe it if somebody.
Speaker 6: Asks, exactly, you know when you experience it, but you can't describe it, right.
Speaker 1: That's why there's so much music.
Speaker 6: But so this is what's called the species concept, and so a lot of people operate what they're taught in high school. This is changing finally, but what you're taught is a species is a group of organisms that can't interbreed with other organisms, or if they do interbreed, the offspring are sterile. So this is you know, like horses and donkeys make make mules or I can't remember the the one that's the hybrid, but one of them is sterile, you know, in some duck species. You see that a lot, and it holds up as a species concept. This is a really easy, straightforward way of defining a species, is it can't interbreed with other stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's that's the one I hear most of the time.
Speaker 6: But and that's that's called the biological species concept, and that's the one that you're taught in school. That's the one a lot of people operate under. But it doesn't work great for a lot of things, especially plants, because they can hybridize like crazy, yeah, and make new species really quickly.
Speaker 2: They are weird, but yes, but they're slow and most people find them boring, so you know, But.
Speaker 6: So there are a whole host of other concepts that you can use to describe a species. You know.
Speaker 1: There's the.
Speaker 6: Phylogenetic concept, which is you know, doing more what I was talking about, like looking at a single lineage of ancestor descendant populations, so like, this is all going on its own evolutionary trajectory as descendants of this one line of life. You can have what's called the ecological species concept, and it's this species are lineages that occupy the most similar ecological zone together. You could have one of my personal favoritichs the authoritarian species concept. I am an expert in this group. I say it's a new species.
Speaker 1: Species.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess that doesn't really fly right.
Speaker 6: Not necessarily, but that's actually, honestly kind of what it boils down to a lot of.
Speaker 1: And so things get sticky. You know.
Speaker 6: I'm sitting here looking at my shelf and I do. I have this book called Species Concepts and Phylogenetic.
Speaker 1: Theory A debate.
Speaker 6: It is one of the most boring books that I've ever read, and I feel bad. I'm not trying to belittle the editors of this book, but man, it is tough to get through. And once you get into really the semantics of trying to figure out what a new species actually is, it does get you know, kind of well.
Speaker 2: It requires so much expertise. You don't have any context to discuss it with people who aren't also experts. Yeah, I mean that makes it a real chat. That's the same for like really deep computer work. It's the same. Anytime you get into a really really deep technical concept where you have to have so many specialized terms and I have to understand so many concepts, it's really challenging to make it accessible.
Speaker 4: So exactly same in linguistics as well, people do an entire PhD on one.
Speaker 6: Word exactly exactly so, and you also get very philosophical about it as well. Discussing a species concept can also involve a lot of philosophy, which gets a little sticky also, especially around scientists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, keep that away from the physicist Brian Coxwell, have you right?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 6: Yeah, but so it is hard to determine what a species is. But again it's you kind of know it when you see it, especially if you're very familiar with a group of organisms or you know, working in biology.
Speaker 2: I kid you not when I say I could easily talk with you another hour or two about this without getting tired, but we do have to wind down. Have you had any real life monster encounters or any real life monsters you've researched?
Speaker 1: Not really.
Speaker 6: I mean again, I've kind of had this interest in cryptozoology from a skeptical standpoint for a lot of my life. So I definitely keep keep tabs and all that. And there are some fairly monstrous looking fishes out there. And my current position here I manage the SCRIPTS institution in a shnography fish collection. We are probably the large, the largest, if not one of the largest deep sea fish collections in the world, and which means we have a lot of really weird looking fish from the deep ocean, some of my personal favorites, a lot of big teeth, a lot of glowing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, let's be honest. I mean, your your you know, specimen is someone else's nightmare. I mean that's exactly.
Speaker 6: I mean it's great and so so in terms of monster hunting, that is for me really what it is.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: We I take students on field trips quite a lot for various classes off the Here we go literally just ten miles off of San Diego and trawl, put a big net in the water about say, maybe about two thousand feet one five hundred feet down in the open ocean, pull it for like fifteen or twenty minutes, and then it takes like an hour and a half to get it back up.
Speaker 1: It takes forever to get it back up. But when you get that on the deck.
Speaker 6: And there's like dragonfish and vampire squid and you know, giant red red shrimp and lots of teeth and everything's black and some of it's still glowing.
Speaker 1: Wow, that to me is really, you.
Speaker 6: Know, monster hunting in an essence, and is very different than a bunch of people running around the woods of Oregon shouting or playing noises.
Speaker 1: And lately, I guess.
Speaker 6: That's gutting back to kind of what field biology actually is versus what the Discovery Channel or History Channel will have you believe field biology is.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh, and for your students not being accustomed to those creatures, they must be very strange.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I mean it's great. They the students love it. And I mean even I, you know, I didn't really have much exposure to deep sea stuff, but any body of water if you put a net down there, pool, or just the concept of fishing, you know, is you never know what you're going to catch unless you're targeting a certain.
Speaker 1: Type of fish.
Speaker 6: So that aspect of it, the discovery is really an aspect that drives me in the field or even as you're if you're snorkeling or scuba diving, it's that aspect of it is great, and I'm sure it's the same for people doing work on land or anywhere else.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 4: Well, we have one final question, and that is what's your favorite monster?
Speaker 1: Ah? Yeah, So.
Speaker 6: I guess I kind of have. I guess two two? Can I get too? Can I have two?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Go for so one, which.
Speaker 6: I think is also if I remember maybe one of Blake's favorites, which is the Thing from the movie The Thing, John Carpenter's The Thing.
Speaker 2: And it's awesome because it's every monster exactly.
Speaker 1: I love I just love that one. That's probably my favorite movie. So I like that.
Speaker 5: Next hour of conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: And then in terms of a cryptid, I have a favorite cryptid. It's mccaulayan Bembe and that one I was just always enamored with as a kid because to me, you know, I've been in uh, the Amazon rainforest, I can I can see how difficult it is to actually see animals in those environments. The congo is probably just as dense, just as crazy, and so to me as a kid, that was one where I was like, oh man, this.
Speaker 1: Could actually be a thing.
Speaker 6: And that's why I was really taken by Mcolayan Membe more than anything else I think in the cryptozoological world. And so that really I think to me still I would I would put as my top favorite cryptid for.
Speaker 2: Sure, it would be it would be so great if it was real, that would be.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But then if you go to like, you know, read more about it, especially in recent years, is a little less Oh.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's absolutely not a living dinosaur.
Speaker 6: No, especially since some of the creationist researches have really taken taking charge with it, it's gotten a little less fun to follow.
Speaker 2: But I still it is a wonderful one to imagine and and uh, it would be be fascinating if true. Uh, well, it's so, I mean for this one more thing, this is you just reminded me since you're talking about Mikailmbavimbe. Uh and you do taxonomy. What what about the whole thing about bronosaurs and a Patosaurus is is that is that? Can you demystify that for me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So, I don't know if either of you. There's another podcast called blurry Photos. It's a comedic skeptic podcast, and I'm friends with those guys, and this came up recently. They got in trouble for saying Brono sources don't exist anymore and everybody's but that paper came out, So so what that was is this, you know, a student published a paper kind of revising that whole fing of dinosaurs that that they occur in and and they re examined the type material of Brontosaurus and determined kind of based on the shape. For if I remember correctly, I read the paper like right after it came out, but it's been a couple of years, so I can't remember correctly or exactly what it was, but I think it was having to do with the shape of the femur of the type specimen of Brontosaurus, even though the specimen was made up of bones of what was like two or three different species. I think is why it ended up getting kind of sunk initially. But the femur was different enough for him to do what's called resurrect the species out of synonymous, so bring it back and being able to write resurrect in a paper is great also in this context you when you're writing about this, But so he was able to, you know, the student resurrected the name Brontosaurus because he thought that the type material, so the holid type of Brontosaurus, or I guess at that point whenever it was described didn't use that term, but he thought it was different enough that paper came out, and very quickly a rebuttal was written saying that this is not necessarily the best evidence for bringing this name back, and he moved a couple other species into that into the genus Brontosaurus. I think also happened, and so some people wrote a response. I think it was in Science or Nature, and then honestly, I haven't really heard much since then, and I think it's been but two or three years, because I was just you know, talking to the guys over there about this, and yeah, I haven't found any mention of it kind of since twenty fifteen or fourteen.
Speaker 2: So it's a settled matter.
Speaker 6: I think it is, honestly, as it stands on the books at the moment, Brontosaurus is valid.
Speaker 1: It's back. Brontosaurus is back, baby, it's valid.
Speaker 6: But I think you know, somebody probably working on a paper that's going to sink it again.
Speaker 2: I see, well, but maybe not if if you order the ribs it will tip your car over. That's the main thing I know about Bronny. All right, let's finish it up. I really appreciate you joining us today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 5: That's fascinating you know so much.
Speaker 2: This is great. It's a really cool hard science for the show. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, listeners will love it.
Speaker 4: Monster.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith.
Speaker 5: And I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 2: You've just heard an interview with Ben Frabel about the methodology of naming species. Ben works at the Script's Institution of Oceanography in San Diego, and if you happen to be attending the twenty seventeen San Diego Comic Con, you can catch Ben on Sunday, July twenty third, from four to five discussing the crossovers between science and science fiction. Also, if you enjoyed listening to this episode stories about various species names, there's a little more of that after the credits in this episode. I hope you enjoy it. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The views and opinions expressed on this show are those of myself and my guests and do not necessarily reflect opinions or the views that the Skeptic Society or of Skeptic magazine. Of course, Skeptic does have views, and you can find them at your local news standard by visiting Skeptic dot com. While you're there, why not check out our show notes for this episode. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the best in monster related content with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org Forge slash Support. That's monster talk dot org forge Slash Support. There, we have links to our Patreon pages as well as a donation button. A great way to support the show is to buy us books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish List, which directly helps us with our research. We love usbooks very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love Kindle and we can share our digital library with each other. Finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at i Tunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find you listeners. And please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. Thanks again for all the book donations. I'm working on some very interesting episodes dealing with the supernatural, and we have another look at the work of HP Lovecraft coming up, as well as a visit down Under to discuss the surprisingly hazardous creature known as a drop bear. I hope you'll come back for those episodes. Also, I haven't had time to put together a poper promo for it, but CSI's annual Skeptically Themed Convention is coming to Las Vegas this October. Check it out at CSI conference dot org. They have an amazing lineup of guests, including many people you've heard on this show. It looks to be a blast. Monster Talk theme music is by Peach Stealing Monkeys. Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 3: Did you know that you can now subscribe to Skeptic Magazine digitally? Just grab our free Skeptic Magazine app currently compatible with iOS, Android, PC, mac, Kindlefire, Kindlefire HD, and BlackBerry Playbook. Head over to Skeptic dot com. Slash magazine slash app to find out more and download more of your favorite skeptic content.
Speaker 6: Monstert and so just really quickly because I didn't do it earlier, and I know this has gone on for a while, and you guys can edit this how you'd like. You have a list of some fun names I just throw out.
Speaker 2: Oh this, you know, I always like to put some stinger at the end after the credits. So yeah, how long do you think this will be?
Speaker 1: Like five minutes?
Speaker 2: Oh, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So one of my personal favorites is a deep water pygmy angel fish. This is a beautiful reef fish group. And there's one that lives on deep reefs in the Inno Pacific and its name is species name is central Piggy Narcosis. Central piggy is a genus, Narcosis is the species. It's called narcosis. So when you're when you're when you're scuba diving, if you go below a certain depth, the the amount of nitrogen kind of going into your body causes you a below a certain depth, under a certain amount of partial pressure, you you start to get a little loopy. It's kind of like you're drunk. It's called the Martini principle. I believe for every every atmosphere of water you go down, which thirty three feet or ten meters of water, it's like drinking one dry martini.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 6: So there were these. There was a researcher named Richard Pyle who studies deep reefish and he's done some pretty dangerous diving, Like diving at three hundred feet on air is not a really good thing to do. You usually want to use a higher oxygen mix, or not higher oxygen, but less night less nitrogen mix. So he mixed helium or something. Anyways, so he was down there. He had heard about this fish, and so he was trying to collect it. He got up to the surface finally after his like three hours of going back to the surface, and he was so narked out that he thought.
Speaker 1: He hadn't caught it.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 6: And then he in his collecting bucket while he was there and it was there. So he named it centri blacking narcosis because he thought he had just kind of hallucinated the fish.
Speaker 2: That's neat.
Speaker 6: And then you have some with like you know, not as big as stories, but another there's a great a little baslet it's not a baslet. I don't really know. It's a beautiful little reefish. They're called pseudochromis. I don't know what their common name would be anyways, it's called Sipho zapps.
Speaker 1: Zapp.
Speaker 6: Zapps is the Greek word Greek word for lightning. He collected the fish during a lightning storm.
Speaker 5: Dangerous.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a It was just described last year Piccolti a greedo I because its face looks a lot like the character Gredo from Star Wars and it shoots first.
Speaker 4: Yes, that makes me think of the Bishop fish.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, which we talked about.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh.
Speaker 6: There's a genus of Gobi called Zappa, which researcher named in honor of Frank Zappa.
Speaker 5: Oh nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And then so there's all sorts of fun names out there every you know, you hear about these dung beetle named.
Speaker 1: After George W. Bush or the spider named after you know whoever.
Speaker 6: People do that a lot for publicity, and it's a good way to get your lab you know, on the map. Somebody named a bunch of darter species in Alabama after various US presidents that had good environmental records. So there's those fun things around. But I guess just summing it all up, as there are still a lot of undescribed species out there, we still have a lot of work cut out for us. We need people with the training to do it. We don't need people without the training who are unwilling to get the training doing it, which has kind of been the case for you know, cad Burrosaurus and NeSSI terris and was it Cryptofidion's kind of some of these cryptids that got scientific species described in their names but aren't actually like valid descriptions. Yeah, there's a lot that we still don't know. And that's I think that's the biggest take home in talking about species discovery is you can still anybody can describe a new well not anybody, But what I'm saying is with the expertise, you can probably find a new species to describe, and you can get your name on a paper, and you can be at a dinner party and be like, yeah, I've described three new species of fish.
Speaker 2: Well, so what I'm hearing is it's better to be friends with someone who's looking for names. Yeah, exactly, not nearly as much work, and you can get your name on it, exactly. I see your whole field's broken, don't you see. That's the one rule they've made there has caused so many I mean, of course, you don't want every species to have your name on it, but I bet that one little change totally change the field.
Speaker 6: I mean, there's a there's a lantern fish called Cocoa, and the guy who described it his last name was Coco and he's like, oh, no, no, I named it after my dad.
Speaker 2: Nice, that's pretty funny.
Speaker 5: You need to be a work around somewhere.
Speaker 2: My name is William Smith. No, no, I was naming after the actor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, you know Smith eye.
Speaker 2: I bet there's a lot of Smith eyes. I should just go there.
Speaker 6: There are a lot of smith named after me and my my processor here at work. His last name is Walker. And unfortunately, there was another very prolific South Southern California, Nick theologist in the fifties, whose last name was also Walker. So there are a lot of Walker eyes, and a lot of them are not my coworker.
Speaker 2: But what aboutexas ranger eyes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, not yet, but you could. I think there is. I think there's a Tonto.
Speaker 2: I I was gonna say, Chuck Nor probably doesn't need species named after him.
Speaker 6: You know, there's probably a Norris eye. Honestly, probably there's definitely. I think there's a genus. I'm just thinking of other famous things. I think there's a genus called Beetlejuice, not the galaxy or star, but the named after the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really.
Speaker 6: And then just recently, okay, one last one a cyclid with kind of a cyclid you know these African freshwater fishes.
Speaker 1: There's one.
Speaker 6: This is a cyclid from South South America that has kind of these weird like rodent fanglike teeth in the front of its mouth. And they named the genus Nosferatu.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 6: That was sorry, that was at the top of my list and I actually forgot skipped that One's awful.
Speaker 2: That one what is the vampire squid actually called those?
Speaker 1: I think it's vampertoothis.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a wicked, cool looking animal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They're a lot smaller than they than you think.
Speaker 2: How How small do I think they are?
Speaker 6: What I mean, well, I know it immediately like a lot of people have a misconception that things are because they're.
Speaker 2: Not looking I want to get I think they're about the size of maybe smaller than a soccer ball, bigger than a softball.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're kind of closer to the softball size, but yeah, you're definitely in the ball.
Speaker 2: I'm in the ballpark. What he did there?
Speaker 1: I even thinking about it?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, contagious.
Speaker 2: Crap, but I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So, but a lot of people think these deep sea fishes especially are a lot bigger than they actually are, like the angler fish. Those guys are pity most of them are smaller than a softball.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think so many people are just scared of the ocean and it just seems so large and frightening, and so they just envisioned these things as being much bigger and scarier than they really are.
Speaker 2: Oh that's like, yeah, that's like life. Man, I just got deep.
Speaker 1: But anyway, well, I do have a little bit of a plug. If you don't mind, I'll go for it. I am.
Speaker 6: It's it's still kind of top secret at the moment until like two days from now, but since it's not going to be aired until then, I'm I'm gonna I'm being featured on a panel of scientists for any of the listeners out there that are going to Comic Con here in San Diego in three weeks or two weeks, I'm going to be on a panel of scientists kind of talking about the influence of science fiction on science and the influence of science on science fiction. And that's gonna happen on the last day of Comic Con. And I'm going to be joined by like a nanotechnologists and mechanical engineers, robotics guy, genetics folks, And that should be really fun. So if you happen to be at Comic Con, come on by. Yeah, definitely, I have again, I can pull out examples upon examples.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, if I actually come to your where you work, I could see some real stuff.
Speaker 1: I would I would love.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you guys are ever find yourselfs in San Diego, I love to give a tour of our collection. I have a goblin shark prominently displayed, a serious collection.
Speaker 4: Oh my two year old would love that too.
Speaker 5: Maybe one day sounds great.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I mean the goblin shark is probably one of my favorite real monsters.
Speaker 1: I was obsessed with that fish.
Speaker 6: And you know, it's original Japanese name is tanguzame, which is a tangu is a you know, a demon to a Yoka demon.
Speaker 2: They are awesome there. So how big are they are? They like six feet or.
Speaker 1: Their max size is about fourteen feet Actually.
Speaker 2: Really they're way bigger.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 6: The one that I have is a juvenile, which honestly most of the specimens and collections are kind of the babies. So my guy here or my gal here, I guess he's I think it's female.
Speaker 1: Is only about three and a half feet long.
Speaker 2: Okay, still amazing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, one more, one more fun thing to look up. I'll let you guys look this up on your own if you've never heard about it. But it's called cookie cutter shark.
Speaker 5: No, no, I haven't heard of that.
Speaker 6: You should take a look at the Wikipedia article on that fish. That's another one I always show and like at the beginning of a tour.
Speaker 2: Really, oh my god, I'm doing it. Yeah no, that's yeah. That is an odd like an animal. Yeah yeah, yeah, Okay, No, I gotta stop because I would just keep talking to you, all right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, frequently, so I have to always control myself that as well.
Speaker 2: No worries. All right, well I have a get even you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take care monsttal wait you do an X ray and countle the vertebra.
Speaker 2: Did you say peduncle?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow, there's a pedant and peduncle joke right there.
Speaker 5: I don't know, let's leave it unsaid.
Speaker 2: Pedants and uncles. This is awesome.