Speaker 1: This song feels appropriate for our next guest do.
Speaker 2: I follow on social media and it feels like he's constantly jet setting across the world, you know, and as one of the best linebackers to ever do it at the University of Utah, played in the NFL for the Saints. Chase Hanson good enough to join us on a Monday Chase, Happy money man, How are.
Speaker 3: You appreciate It's been some great It's good be here. It's great to see you.
Speaker 2: So as I talk about, I follow you on social media and I feel like you're in the ocean one day. I feel like you're traveling across the world another day, like, what's been going on with you?
Speaker 1: Give our youth fan listeners an update?
Speaker 3: Well yeah, I mean if they want the life update. The life update is essentially that I finished ball in The first thing I thought is time to do all the things that you know, I've never had time to do. You travel, go to beautiful places, new cultures, new people. I was able to, you know, go to Dubai and Europe for a long time and just kick around for a little while, going a bunch of adventures.
Speaker 1: It kind of suits my style.
Speaker 3: A bunch of solo, travel, travel with friends, different things like that that I kind of live for. So just that kind of stuff. I mean, I'm always working on side gigs and working on business and I'm always trying to keep moving forward. But I've had some fun and doesn't traveling for a little bit. It's it's been cool.
Speaker 2: I love traveling solo. My family thinks I'm an insane person to do it. It's one of my favorite things to do. And like you, when I had a break from life and I had a little bit of cash in my pocket, I just boom, I'm gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to see places, I want to do things.
Speaker 2: But some people think traveling solo is like a bizarre form of behavior.
Speaker 1: I love it. Man.
Speaker 2: I always say there's a fine line between freedom and loneliness, right, I agree.
Speaker 3: I had this conversation the other day with someone and they Hey, we were asking me like, don't doesn't get lonely? And my first thought is, I don't. I've never really been the type of person who gets lonely being alone. Same way like, traveling solo to me is very therapeutic and it almost feels like this very rich experience because I'm kind of forced to get outside my comfort zone, like I got to meet new people, like I want to meet new people. I'm like I'm forced to plant things myself. And I like traveling with friends and only too, Like that's a blast. But just to be able to sit down and be like I have the time, I got a little bit of money. I've never been to you know, Spain or you know wherever it is, you know, Japan or wherever, and it's that has been epic.
Speaker 1: I just I love that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: And to your point, I actually sometimes when people tell me that they like they don't like being alone, they look at me and they're like, oh, you're crazy, like you travel sol. I look at them and I'm like, you should probably figure that out. Yeah, you should probably like you know, enjoy your lone time a little bit more, because I think there's a lot of a lot of peace and a lot of I just I just think it can be healthy. Not that I'm like the epitome of mental health, but I think there's a lot of a lot of good that can come from just that's those solo experiences kind of in your own thoughts and your own experiences and all that. So it's been been really cool personally.
Speaker 1: Are you one?
Speaker 2: So I I are you a golfer by the way, you golf clubb No, tennis is going to be my old man's sport, of it's good for you.
Speaker 3: I did golf for a little bit when I was in real estate. It was kind of my hand was forced, but it didn't really can't really take well.
Speaker 2: Tennis is an excellent old man sport. We are no pickleball zone on the show because Porter plays tennis and he makes fun of pooketball players and if for honest like pick a ball players are the worst, we get it. You like pickle ball? Okay, that's enough. Yeah, It's like my friends that used to do CrossFit. I always say, how do you know when somebody does CrossFit? You know because they'll tell you right away. And now it's pickle ball. You know people that love pickleball? All right, I get it, you love pickleball.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it's the vegans, the pickleballers and the crossfitters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, well said so. Anyway, I bring it up because I played. We had the State Am tournament last week for golf a couple of weeks ago down at the Logan Country Club and every year they let the media hacks go up and play the course and we interview golfers, and they put me with a former pro named Steele de Wall. Porter doesn't believe he's a real person because his name sounds like a power tool. It's a name, it is a great name, and he went through Q School, like Xander Schoffle. He's played with all of them, Scotty, you name it. Like he was that dude for a while, made corn Faery Tour and just didn't enjoy that type of life where you have to grind. And so he's now back playing as an amateur where he's kind of rediscovered his love for the game. But when he was done with pro golf, he was done with it. Were you you were you kind of like that with football? Were you footballed out when it when the end came for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good question.
Speaker 3: I I feel like I had a unique relationship with football, just because I don't feel like I ever fell out of love with the game. I think I thought I did at the time, and I always felt like there's a lot of other things I loved more than ball, Like you know, I had this, you know, I want to I love business.
Speaker 1: I love traveling. I love the adventures.
Speaker 3: You know. In my head, I had these ideas of all these things I wanted to do, and I think those were accurate. But I just think that I was in constant pain. Like I think I fell out of love with like constantly being in pain. Not that anyone's in love with that, but it anytime I was healthy and I was playing the game, I always loved it. Like at any stage, at any point in time when I was healthy and I was playing, I was like, I loved the game.
Speaker 1: It felt very natural, it was it was a it was a great time.
Speaker 3: It just the constant wear and tear and nature kind of took its course with me, and no excuses.
Speaker 1: It just it.
Speaker 3: That's just the way my story kind of played out.
Speaker 1: But it was just.
Speaker 3: I fell out of love with the way I physically felt while constantly trying to play the game and playing the way I played it, And that was kind of how it worked for me. It was never this moment of like I just don't like football anymore. It was more like, I feel like I'm not going to be healthy enough to live my life, you know, if I keep going down this road.
Speaker 1: And so it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it worked out, it was well timed, and I'm grateful for what it gave me.
Speaker 1: It just I still love it.
Speaker 3: And now that i'm kind of outside of it, I'm like, you know, back in with my passion of it.
Speaker 1: It's just different. Do you different way looking at it?
Speaker 2: Do you stay connected to former teammates at the U or with the Saints?
Speaker 1: Do you watch games?
Speaker 2: Are you like interested in in actually consuming football?
Speaker 3: Yeah, more so now than when I was playing, which I'm sure I think a lot of guys will tell you, Like when they're playing, sometimes they just they don't want to talk or watch ball a lot of times unless it's like film or like something that's actually going to improve their game, right right. But yeah, I'll watch the boys. I'll watch you know, my voice from New Orleans or Utah all the time. And I love keeping an eye on them. But they're they're doing big things and when you're in that grind, you're you're in it, like you're you're in the thick of it. And so I'll keep tabs on them and just you know, keep an eye on them all the time.
Speaker 2: Do you live and die with results? Because this is another interesting thing that I've talked to some former YOU players or WHY players or NFL players, and you know, my relationship with sports has changed over the years because I was raised in a family setting where my father was a pro sports executive with the Jazz and then with the Knicks. UH brought RSL here and so growing up, we would watch games with this intense passion and almost liver dimontality because the family relied on it, needed to win so dad could keep his job, and it always felt so heavy, like when the Knicks were eliminated the playoffs. I go to school the next day and cafeteria managers like, is are they going to fire your dad this week?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah? So I used to watch you with that level of anxiety.
Speaker 3: Fascinating perspective on that, yeah.
Speaker 1: And so he's no longer.
Speaker 2: I mean he's involved kind of in an ancillary way, but it's no longer day to day and Chase, I just don't miss watching games like that. I don't miss like feeling like the world is going to end if BYU beat Utah or whatever it is. Do you do you find the passion or the intensity with which you consume is kind of dwindled as you age a little bit mature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if I've ever been you know, live.
Speaker 3: I've always tried to find something outside of football to kind of hold on to so that when I lost, or when I failed, or when my team lost, it didn't affect me on that you know, existential level. And I would say now I'm probably more invested ironically, like emotionally in like what the you or what the jazz or what the hockey team is doing, because I just I kind of have this, uh, I guess this deep rooted love for Utah and Utah sports like a lot of people in Utah, but I'm I mean, I get really curious with like, you know, what moves are we making, what are we where are we putting our money?
Speaker 1: Like when we bring it in, Like what's going on?
Speaker 3: More so than did we win, It's more like how are we Like how is the team being managed? Because I've always been fascinated with, you know, how NFL teams. You know, what's a general manager doing, who they're drafting, me, their training Like it's a fascinating concept to be able to look from the top down and organize and you know, put the team together. And I've never been fascinated by like being a coach or anything like that. But as I look at it from a fans perspective, I think I look about it a little bit differently. So it's kind of a long answer to a short question. But basically I don't feel like it, you know, affects me on that existential level like you talked about, and I get why you did, but I've never been like, oh, this is going to consume my life if we lose.
Speaker 1: But it does.
Speaker 3: I'm emotionally invested, and I'm also just really invested in like how are we managing? Like, like how is everything being put together? Now that there's money and there's an il on, there's transfers. It's just it's kind of this chess piece, which is really interesting to see the way being put together, you know, in all the sports here in Utah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you never struck me.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I'm entering my twentieth year doing this full time. I did it part time for about four or five years and now yeah, twenty years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's awesome. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: It's a tough place to carve out real estate and sometimes hard to hold on to, but over the years interviewing college athletes. I'll tell right away, like, oh, I hope he wants to coach, because that's probably all you can do after he's done playing, Like he's a natural coach or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: I always tease my guy Britten Johnson.
Speaker 2: Or I did jazz pre app and post with for years, like I'm glad you're six' ten, dude and he's done well for. Himself it's more tug and, cheek BUT i bring it up in that. Context you never struck me as somebody who was only defined by. Football you always struck me as a well, balanced kind of, introspective thoughtful. Person so we'll get to what you have going, on and it's not surprising to me that you do look for side. Hustles as you, said try to move forward and interested in business and you're, gonna you, know pursue a postgraduate degree with if you're, comfortable please talk about. It but where did that balance come? From was It mom and? Dad was it the way you were? Raised was it your? Faith was it just you always have been an intricately curious.
Speaker 3: MIND i, mean those are great options and great great. THOUGHTS i feel like it's a combination of a lot of different. Things in my, HEAD i feel like my parents did do great, jobs, like, hey sports are, big but remember like there's a lot more outside of. Sports that's not what defines you is and you know your your abilities to your, decisions like they were great at doing. THAT i ALSO i also THINK i was just really curious about everything, Else LIKE i honestly never as a, KID i always wanted to see where football take me took, me BUT i wasn't necessarily a kid that was like my dream is to play in THE. NFL i THINK i did have that those, ambitions AND i HOPED i would get, There BUT i was always curious about you, know you know what's going on In, asia you know what's going on in, business like what's going, on and you, KNOW i THINK i was genuinely very curious of stuff outside of sports and outside of. Ball SO i would say It's i've never actually been asked the why or the how of, this but it's really interesting to kind of think about it now BECAUSE i think it's a number of different things which you, know you've you alluded to a couple of, them and my faith definitely played a part in. That just, yeah realizing there is a lot going on in. Life AND i loved ball AND i loved you, know what sport can, do AND i want to be involved in it somehow as.
Speaker 1: Well, still.
Speaker 3: But, YEAH i would say is a combination of a bunch of those topics that you hit on just.
Speaker 2: Barely and you also you have four brothers and three, sisters, right so you come from a male. Family your father played FOOTBALL. Byu it's interesting and we'll get to this in a little. Bit you were part of this era of a ton of recruits that decided to play For kyle up here where family members had played football down at B.
Speaker 1: Yu it was an interesting.
Speaker 2: Thing and certainly it feels like there's a little momentum shift with the power of the. Purse AND i said five years ago when Ni al started to become a, realitist and watch about forty miles now, south all, right they get how to do. This just watch how they do. It hopefully you talk and can kind of keep. Up but what was it like growing up with and where do you fit in the hierarchy with your?
Speaker 1: Siblings which number are you second, youngest second?
Speaker 2: Youngest did were you raised in an ultra competitive environment like with my, family there were years where we couldn't even play like. Risk i'm, Like i'm not. Playing its just it would get. Loose was it like that with you? Guys for?
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah our family is chaos and we have a mixed. Bunch so all my oldest, siblings you, know we're all very. Different you, know we got half siblings here and, there but we're all still very. Close and in our house growing, up it was five, boys so as me and my four, brothers and, yeah very competitive in every, way like if we're playing wifftball or, basketball like we're not going to finish the game like a, fight it's gonna. Happen if we're Playing, xbox it's just like it like IT'S i mean it's five boys in the, home all very, competitive and it's still that. Way Like i'll play my brother in tennis and it's just LIKE i don't think it ever goes, away but it's it's it's fun to dive back into.
Speaker 1: It but, yeah really competitive.
Speaker 3: House just a bunch of boys and you know sisters as well that you know they weren't in our, home but still very close with all of. Them so just it's it's a chaotic. Bunch but it's fun to have the different. Personalities and you, Know.
Speaker 1: Mom and dad competitive.
Speaker 3: Too oh he, is but that's what he doesn't. Like he won't play, games, yes but he ALSO i think he kind of he's chilled out a. Lot like they won't let us play certain games in our.
Speaker 4: Home.
Speaker 1: Uh there's this one board.
Speaker 3: GAME i don't even know if the name IS, pc but it's it's Called Secret hitler and like we're not allowed to play it in the home because it just gets it gets very. Personal And mom and dad they they they don't like the. Fighting they it's. Competitive my mom's. Not my dad, is even when he tries to act like he's. Not and, yeah they'll they'll outlass certain. Games, yeah that's that's the funny.
Speaker 2: Thing when they try to act, like, Oh i'm the, dad So i'm the, patriarch So i'm not, like, no you want to slip my throat and watch.
Speaker 3: Me, oh the, stories the STORY i already know Because i've heard the stories of my dad and his brothers and just like THE i mean different, times BUT i mean they were they were swinging on people. Often it's, like hold, on we're just. Arguing you, know it's it's a board. Game, yeah we know the. Story, yeah you, know we. Do we need to bring these. Up and so it's we get where it comes, from you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah you're. Right they can only hide it for so. Long, NO i was.
Speaker 2: Joking so a couple of weeks, ago the home run derby took place In Major League, baseball and the catcher who won his, name is escaping.
Speaker 1: Me his father was throwing him, pitches AND.
Speaker 2: I was joking that my dad would throw me junk like he'd Throw, kurt like he. Wouldn't he would want to strike me out. Right he would not want to feed me straight down the. Middle he'd want to embarrass me in front of.
Speaker 3: Everyone so raised in a similar and probably got hit hit in the probably got good at hitting the junk, though oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah no for, Sure but there's no feeding me for. Success he wants to strake me. Out so let me ask you about the dynamic as a lone peak kid who had his choice of where to, play and again it was this interesting time The Britain covees of the, world, like if your B, yu you can't Let Britain covey get out of your. Backyard his grandpa's name is on half your. Buildings how was he a? You but what was that process that landed you here at The university Of utah to play For kyle opposed to maybe considering going TO byu and you were in there basically in their.
Speaker 3: Backyard, Yeah i'll speak to. MINE i Know, couves he's got his own. Story but essentially for, me it was it was kind of What utah had and WHAT byu didn't for me BECAUSE i think the expectation was That i'd get to the, why and to keep it really, SHORT i didn't have a great recruiting experience at THE wy AND i think they all assumed LIKE i was going.
Speaker 1: There my dad went there like it was a family.
Speaker 3: Thing AND i got there AND i was, LIKE i MEAN i tried not to be the, like you, know show me the, money like let's put on a show for. Me BUT i got there AND i was like they did not sell me at, All like this is it is not like this doesn't sound feeling for me to be. HERE i think there was also an element of they were very forward, About, hey you're coming here and you're playing, linebacker AND i was in this mindset of actually, quarterback which obviously we know how that.
Speaker 1: Ended BUT i loved.
Speaker 3: IT i Loved, SCALEY i love like the coaching staff was a big part of my. Decision and to be also super transparent about like my personal, DECISION i JUST i didn't love the bubble that Was Utah county for, me AND i appreciated it during the time At Lone peak and it was, great but it it felt so refreshing to, think not THAT i MEAN i went out of state or, anything but Like Salt lake just felt like a good change of pace for. Me it felt like this new, atmosphere felt like a higher level of, Ball it felt like better. Coaching, honestly it felt like the right opportunity for a number of different, reasons even church, wise AND i was very church, mind it still, am but it you, KNOW i, thought you, know where DO i want to, go you, know somewhere where everyone's kind of the, same or somewhere where you, KNOW i can have these different conversations with different types of people with different opinions and you, know mindsets and, beliefs and that was just more interesting to, me you, know even outside of. Ball and so for, me it was quite a few different things and it wasn't you, know ONCE i got to making the, decision it wasn't a super hard. Decision just the way it all played out for, ME i, know you, know the expectation and the way you, KNOW i was raising the family thing was it felt more obvious THAT i was gonna go down.
Speaker 2: There so did Did pops have anything to? Say or did he just kind of let you do your? Thing and, no he said you do your. Thing he was also just really. SUPPORTIVE i think. HE i don't HE i don't.
Speaker 3: Know he might deny, this BUT i think he kind of saw it for what it was, Too like the riding was on the wall a little bit that THE u was just moving in a different, direction and it felt Like witt had a good handle on you know what was. Coming and you, know there Was pac twelve. Stuff they were sending a lot of guys the. League the defense was doing what it was AND i, mean, AGAIN i THOUGHT i was going as a, quarterback but it still felt like the opportunity was up. Here SO i think he looking, back he, was you, know more supportive THAN i.
Speaker 1: Expected that's.
Speaker 2: Cool i'm, glad, yeah Because madeleine fathers sometimes can make decisions. Difficult let me follow. Up you just brought up a really interesting. Point and you, Know i'm not one that lives on social. MEDIA i think the internet is where cowards go to feel. Brave but you hear all of this discourse about, well if you're AN lds, kid then you need to be in. Provo if you're AN lds, kid THE lds experience exists AT, byu AND i always say there's a difference between THE byu experience and AN lds, Experience Like utah has a massive, institute it's a big part of the ecosystem at The university Of. Utah if you want THE lds, Experience, chase it feels like you can get it in a lot of. Places you don't just need to get it AT. Byu so what was your experience like as AN lds student athlete at The university Of.
Speaker 3: Utah, yeah great. Question i'll probably take this in a direction THAT i don't. Know i'm not trying to be too too controversial, here BUT i JUST i agree with you know your, point which is THAT i feel like there's a difference between, this you, know spiritual experience and a growth promoting experience and kind of sticking in the bubble and as a, current you, know still ACTIVE lds, PERSON i feel like there's certain, things again not to be too controversial, here but there's certain things that are cultural down that way THAT i just don't super agree with and don't super align with from like a faith, perspective which is again Like i'm an, active healthy as. Person it's just there's there's certain things WHERE i don't feel like they necessarily are necessarily the growth or faith promoting things THAT i was looking. For AND i don't want to you, know knock anyone else's you, know anyone else's, path BUT i think i'd like to think that that narrative is kind of running its.
Speaker 1: Course maybe it's.
Speaker 3: Not i'm not getting, recruited AND i don't know what's you, know the narrative is right now about you, know WHERE lds kids. Go But i'd like to think that we've become a little bit more open minded about what it means to, have you, know a faith promoting, experience a personal growth promoting, experience and it doesn't need to be in the bubble Of Utah. County and that doesn't mean you can't have a great spiritual experience In Utah. County BECAUSE i know great guys and great people who are doing just. THAT i just think think there's merit to getting outside of that bubble and opening your mind and having a different experience and allowing yourself to be.
Speaker 1: Curious but, still you, know.
Speaker 3: You know in your, faith you know whatever that looks like for every, person BECAUSE i think faith is a fascinating concept AND i think it's different for. Everyone but, YEAH i think it took that a little different. Direction but that's those are my. Thoughts it's a great, answer it.
Speaker 2: Really, is and it is SOMETHING i would expect to hear from you based off of my experience listening and interviewing you a few.
Speaker 1: Times over the.
Speaker 2: Years the honor code when it comes to and this might you might be the wrong person ask because you are ACTIVE, lds so living those standards is something you were raised with and something that you probably carried with you and still. Do as you're talking about your, faith when a situation comes out like it came out With, jake With Jake, rhetslav who had a good year for them last. Year they win eleven, games they go to The Alamo bowl and they Beat dion And. Colorado he was eleventh IN qbr in the. Conference their defense is. Nasty they were very fortunate last year in a lot of, ways But jake had a good. Year NON lds kid Attends Bringham Young And i'm sure you followed the story was accused initially of sexual, assault and then it came down that the case was dropped and now it's been characterized as a consensual sexual. Relationship And i've had a lot of guests on the show that covered the story from the outside looking in that just don't know really how to digest this when they're, like, wait he's Not, mormon this was. Consensual this doesn't make. Sense, now you were raised down, there your father played. There i'm the oldest of six. Kids all five of my siblings went TO. Byu i'm the only one that came up. Here SO i get. IT i understand what the dynamic and the culture. Is but what sort of, effect if, any do you think the honor coat has on trying to recruit talent OF. Byu and when you hear stories like, this how do you digest? It, Yeah i'll leave.
Speaker 3: The J retsof story at the table because that one is plex and it's that there's a lot to that that is going. On BUT i think in terms of just The Honer code in, GENERAL i do have an, opinion AND i think it's it's. FLAWED i don't think it necessarily aligns with WHAT i view as the way the church should be represented. PERSONALLY i think it should be amended and. Changed AND i don't know if updated is the right word or just completely. Removed BUT i get the narrative of, like you, know you go TO, byu you understand what you signed up. For like that's, like here's the. Deal AND i think there's merit to. That it's, like if you're going to go, there understand what you're signing up. For having said, that as someone who's being, asked you, know about The Honor, CODE i think that IT'S i just think it needs to be.
Speaker 1: CHANGED i think it needs to be.
Speaker 3: UPDATED i think there's a lot to it that kind of tries to be flexed as like this is what the church. Represents and in my mind not to get too deep on the church topic, here BUT i guess we already. ARE i JUST i don't feel like it fully, aligns you. KNOW i feel like it's this other thing that's more cultural of, like, hey let us know who's doing bad. Stuff and let's like make this like, again not to overuse this word, either but like a cultural thing versus you, know your experiences between you And, god and you, KNOW i think there's a different conversation about faith that comes in versus the ON a. Code AND i, mean gods are still going, there they're still committing. THERE i just think There's, YEAH i THINK i get bugged WHEN i hear certain people complain like you, know this is you, KNOW i, GUESS i guess maybe be what whoever it. Is it, says you, know this shouldn't be this, way like why is this person getting? Suspended it's, like, WELL i get both, Sides like they signed up for, it and you've got to understand what you're signing up. For if you have sex and someone finds, out there's a good chance you're gonna get. Suspended that says whether you agree or disagree with. That but if it's like a spiritual, CONVERSATION i just think there's a lot there's a lot of holes and flaws in the ON a. CODE i feel like THAT i view. Personally so it's kind of two different ways of looking at. It for, Me, YEAH i think it's really.
Speaker 2: Interesting this is really good perspective BECAUSE i do you, know When Roger reid was the basketball, coach he recruited me to go play down, there and as a, SOPHOMORE i took a recruiting. Trip interestingly, enough the two other players on that recruiting trip Were Nate cooper And Chris. Burgess And roger ultimately lost his job because When berge committed To, duke he said he let eleven million people, down WHEN i don't even remember, that he said he let the entire church. Down and so you, KNOW i knew a lot of the guys that played on the team down. There of, course interviewed a bunch of, players both football and, basketball and almost to a, person the element that they didn't seem to appreciate was the somebody's always watching me And i'm afraid that a student is gonna turn me in and this tattletale culture because to your, point and it was very eloquent with the way you put, it and you, know you can talk about faith one way or the, other AND i think faith is a very personal thing and we're all just trying to get through the day and whatever you used to sleep at, night and then just live your, life be good to, people all those. Things but my understanding Of christianity is we are imperfect people that make, mistakes and it is the casting away that has always bothered me and has seemed always bothered even athletes that went to B. Yu is that an accurate representation of the way you think most people.
Speaker 3: Feel, Yeah and AGAIN i don't want to speak for, everybody BUT i feel like the CONVERSATIONS i had with people AT byu or outside OF byu is, hey the on a code needs like some amending, here like need some, updating need some. Upgrading and you, KNOW i to be very, Clear i'm the furthest from like a B yu. HATER i don't say this is someone who's very opinionated on like let's land B.
Speaker 1: Yu have a lot of family.
Speaker 3: THERE i appreciate a lot about what's going on down, there and there's a lot of really great people and, coaches even on the football team THAT'S i mean, YOU i mean you come.
Speaker 1: On and just Standa Aaron.
Speaker 3: Roderick there's most of the coaching out There i've played with Or, Ford, yeah which is kind of, Funny but, AGAIN i think it's just WHEN i look at it with fresh eyes as like my opinion ON i guess specifically on a, code it's just that's Not and again it gets complex because it's, like how do you view Fake BUT i in my opinion and my, take it's just it doesn't fully align WITH i would, say you, know the. Church, Again i'm not. Trying i'm not trying to dig. Myself it's too deep of a whole. Here but this is my, take AND i honestly don't think it's that hot of a. TAKE i think you ask people in in school or out of, school and they'll, say, yeah it feels you, know pretty.
Speaker 4: Not.
Speaker 3: Archaic but it just it doesn't feel like it fully, aligned you, know some of the other. PRINCIPLES i guess that the school is wanting to represent AND i didn't go, there SO i don't want to keep getting too deep in that. Hole but, it's, uh, YEAH i just think That's that's kind of Where i'm at with, it and it's it feels like it feels like it's going TO i just don't know how or in what, way or what the best way to go about. It i'm sure it's tricky to make those kind of.
Speaker 2: Changes what's the hands in household like When utah by you were playing what's that?
Speaker 1: Week, like what's what's the good shifted?
Speaker 3: Tone, okay IT'S i, mean it's pretty much Full utah at this point BECAUSE i went, There my little brother went, there he, PLAYED i played We, uh the whole family is pretty Much, utah which is funny because it was kind of just my brothers who Were utah. First AND i would, say you, know my sister went to pa school, there or she went to you, know her undergrad, there and there's just there's a lot of, red which is funny because we started very blue and my dad's the only real blue. One and he still has it in. Him you, know he still wants to see the coups do. Well but he he loves with he Loves, scalley he loves you, KNOW i think it's he's watching us. Play he he feels a little mixed as. Well he just wants to see good. Ball but, yeah it's surprisingly not not as mixed as you. Think it's pretty. Red but if you get our extended, FAMILY i think there's there there's a lot of hands in's out, there and there's a lot of Kug hansen's and a lot of, You. Hanson so it's that's that's where it would get a little, chaotic and it's a very competitive.
Speaker 2: Bunch So i'm gonna ask you a totally unfair. QUESTION i, mean we're already in pretty. Deep just keep.
Speaker 3: Going i'm clearly, Uh i'm clearly opened all of them right.
Speaker 2: Now, NO i think it's good perspective because you reference the coaching staff and When kolanie was here as THE, DC i did a weekly show with, him And i've Known Aaron roderick my entire. Life it's actually a weird. Story our parents were AT byu together and we lived in student, housing so A rod AND i used to play together as, kids Like i've known in my entire, life And i'm a big fan of them. Both they joined the show throughout the course of the football. Season we actually get more access TO byu coaches Than utah, coaches and we're the home of The.
Speaker 1: Utes is kind of a wild.
Speaker 2: Thing but if if a seventeen year Old Chase hanson is recruited By kilanie And Aaron roderick And Jay hill and this coaching staff to play AT byu and then on the other side of The utah coaches you have.
Speaker 1: What do you what do you?
Speaker 3: Think that looks like fascinating. Question it's a fascinating. QUESTION I i don't. KNOW i think my decision would have been significantly. Harder And i'm gonna, say Because witt And scally And shaw and the crew is still, THERE i would like to THINK i would probably still end up here In Salt. Lake BUT i think it would have been a very different experience in conversation for me BECAUSE i, committed you know, Before LIKE i mean it was junior. YEAR i committed. EARLY i never batted AN I i never looked. Back it was, like it wasn't this you, know back and forth thing for. ME i think it would have made it a lot different IF i was sitting in a room With KILANIE A. Rod you, know these these different coaches that you, mentioned and they're also DOING i, mean they're also making a lot of moves. There you you feel, it and it's it's it's it's gonna be a good ball for a lot of years to, COME i think at both. Schools so it's kind of a cheap, answer But i'm Gonna i'm gonna commit and Say I'm i'm still you know A ute in this hypothetic, scenario BUT i think what made it a lot a lot.
Speaker 1: Tougher, yeah then that's the right.
Speaker 2: Answer as we're two miles away from right cycles and you are the home of the on the home of The. Utes let let me move over over here real, quick because you just kind of alluded to. It AND i always, say in my, opinion as a student at The university Of utah in the, nineties when we were a basketball, school.
Speaker 1: And do respect To Coach.
Speaker 2: Mac always respect To Coach mac who kind of laid the foundation urban then Obviously Coach, WIT i never thought that we would be a football school the way we are. Now AND i always say the two biggest days and the two biggest moments in Modern utah football history are THE pac twelve invite. One it made us A p five SCHOOL p four and now BUT p five at the time and When kyle said no TO byu and said yes To. UTAH i think those are the two biggest days that led to really a generation of ute football. Dominance head to head AGAINST, buyu the schedule bears it out or the standings and head to, head you, know numbers bear it, out AND byu football makes the reactionary move to go. Independent AND i understand why they did it because they didn't want to be the little brother back in The Mountain.
Speaker 1: West but for about fifteen, Years utah football.
Speaker 2: Dominated the head to head more often than not and had the momentum going in their.
Speaker 1: Direction and now both schools are in The big.
Speaker 2: Twelve and LIKE i, said AND i said this five years, ago when they're allowed to open up the, pocketbook AND i know it's now the, church we got to say that these are powerful donors and boosters they care ABOUT byu. ATHLETICS i was told THAT byu has nine seven figure donors In utah's. Two so we need to kind of even the playing field a little.
Speaker 1: Bit do you know that's? Fascinating, Yeah but does.
Speaker 2: It feel like maybe some of the Momentum utah had for about fifteen years has shifted a little bit forty miles down.
Speaker 1: South.
Speaker 3: YEAH i don't know if it's the momentum that, shifted or if you know that team down south is just making big moves and they're making it significantly more. Competitive BECAUSE i wouldn't necessarily say that we've lost a. STEP i Think utah is still very much on the, rise AND i think there's a really bright future For. UTAH i genuinely think that that's not, just you, know me wishful. THINKING i just THINK byu is making a lot of really big. Moves so what do you want to call it momentum or. NOT i, mean there's clearly something going on down there THAT i think is effective and exciting for, them.
Speaker 1: At least in terms of recruiting.
Speaker 3: Talent it'll be fascinating to see if that translates to the type of ball that they are hoping. For and so, yeah IT'S i think that's my take.
Speaker 2: There All, right a couple more, things then we'll catch a break and then we'll tell you about What chase has going on.
Speaker 1: Before we let him go out of studio.
Speaker 2: HERE i don't know When kyle is going to decide that he's done doing. This i'm not a media member that beats that story over the. HEAD i feel like when he's, done we may not even, Know like he might just be done and then go live his. Life But sean, O'Connell who does our midday, show he has sources With Utah football that believe this is it For, kyle that this is the last dance this year is the last dance For. Kyle as somebody who knows Both kyle And, morgan it feels Like. Morgan the support is unanimous from alumni that, yes he is the. Guy let's just get let's you, know this feels like it would be seamless in the history of, sports both college and. Pro taking over for a legend is a tough. Ask it just, is how do you feel like the transition will look and will go once it actually.
Speaker 3: Happens, YEAH i, mean first of, All i'll be the first. Asa i'm gonna be bummed WHEN i see whit go BECAUSE i was one of those guys who JUST i loved, him you, know as hardcore as he was and as you, know sometimes old school as he, was he was LIKE i was like my. COACH i, was you, know the GUY i assigned up to play, for and he was EVERYTHING i hoped he would. Be and you, know if this is his last, DANCE i hope they sent him out with a.
Speaker 1: Bang BUT i.
Speaker 3: Do and have always said That scalley's the best Coach i've ever played for in terms of a football, mind in terms of, preparation in terms of the work he, puts in terms of understanding the game in terms of his ability to recruit and connect with. People you, KNOW i don't want to set two high expectations that he would never live up. To AND i, think you, know as you, know you, nation we shouldn't do, That like there might be a little, blip BUT i just in, short if there's anyone who can do it At, scalley AND i think everyone feels the same. Way it's just to your, point it's it's hard because it's, like, well what's what's the next? Level and the next level is something real big because What utah Did underwit is you, know about as high as you could get without doing you, know the very top, thing you, know without winning the whole. Thing and SO i think that's the expectation which is gonna, like you, know it's really hard for him With Firs, scalley but he's you, know he's the guy for the, job and He's i'm excited for that era whenever it. Comes if if this is what's last dance or, not who. Knows that guy always needs to find more energy and more wind and more work and it'll be, interesting all.
Speaker 2: Right last thing for this segment that we'll catch a quick break the anatomy of a position. CHANGE i don't have any data to line up The utah coaching staff with other coaching staffs in college.
Speaker 1: Football it just feels like they know how to do.
Speaker 2: This quarterback Lone, Peak Chase, Hansen All packed, twelve, Linebacker nate Faka, Fula Nate orchard later, on all state wide Receiver Highland High. School you, know still holds this single season sack record For.
Speaker 1: UTAH i could keep, going as you, know what's that? Process?
Speaker 2: Like like when Did kyle Or morgan first say to, you, like, look we know you want to be a quarterback and you're really good at, that but if you do, this we think you can be next?
Speaker 1: Level what's? That what's that? Process?
Speaker 3: Like, YEAH i guess the quick answer to that. ONE i guess the last question IS I i kind of did it to myself in that. REGARD i WAS i. WAS i was Behind Travis wilson AND.
Speaker 1: Kentl.
Speaker 3: Thompson, yeah and they're, like, hey like you're not getting a ton of time like they were doing the wildcat. THING i would occasionally go in there and you, know run some readoption With, booker but they felt LIKE, I i, MEAN i was itching LIKE i was, LIKE i just want to, play AND i kind of went to. ONE i was, LIKE i won't to, play LIKE i am like feeling really good, physically LIKE i CAN i can. Help and so they basically, said, hey put you on a. KICKOFF i went down and made some plays and they, said, hey you, know we got some injuries of. Safety you want to go in like with, like don't. Worry this is just like a one time. Thing and you, know his, story you, know went the way it. Went so it wasn't necessarily. THEM i feel like they genuinely honored their commitment to, say, hey we're going to give you shot at, quarterback and they. DID i went to them and, SAID i mean mutually kind of met together and there, said how are you, feeling, like like do you want to stick.
Speaker 1: This out of?
Speaker 3: Quarterback AND i was, LIKE i just want to, play LIKE i just want to be on the, field LIKE i KNOW i can add value and Maybe i'll play safety in the next, Year i'll play, quarterback you. KNOW i, thought that's you, know that's kind of how my brain was. Working and so, yeah that's the way it played. Out and in terms of recruiting and the way it happens. NORMALLY i think they just recruit, athletes and they recruit, athletes and if they end up playing quarterback and they're a great quarterback, athlete it. Works and if, not they, say we can put this kid somewhere. Else AND i think that's really really, smart AND i think that's becoming more and more common in all. Sports you, know you hear about baseball teams that only recruit shortstops and they put, them you, know in the outfield or a third base or at first, base and it's, like, well it's because it's usually the best athlete out.
Speaker 1: There and SO i.
Speaker 3: The recruiting, method it just mine was mine's kind of unique in the sense that there was a little bit of an itch to just LIKE i just want to go hit. People AND i kind of felt the defense in me started to come, out you, know WHEN i got on special teams and, yeah just and THEN i got heard and it was a whole whole, thing but it was it, Was, yeah it just played out kind of the way it, did and it worked.
Speaker 1: Out.
Speaker 2: Man i'll tell you What Chase hanson is with. Us we'll catch a quick. Break we'll tell you What chase has is going. On coming up on the other, Side so keep it right, here BUD espn seven.
Speaker 4: Hundred forty days to kick off For Utah football right here on your home of THE utspn seven hundred and ninety two one half am presented by Cam Clad.
Speaker 2: Chase, Hansen live in the, studio one of the best to do it at The university Of, utah laid in the pros for about four years with The. Saints gonna bring In smitty coming up in just a little. Bit all, Right, Chase we've been talking, about, well a lot of. Things it's been a very illumine conversation with you, today as it always, is but you have a lot of interest outside of the world of, football so let's talk about the business that you're involved in right. Now and, also as you were telling me about your health issues as a football, player the injuries you, HAD i wonder if those experiences kind of colored the approach to what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Now is that fair to? Say, yeah for?
Speaker 3: Sure AND i appreciate the question because obviously my health has played a role in a number of, things in the number of Moves i've made my. Life but basically the life and personal and business update is that WHEN i was in the, LEAGUE i felt like everything THAT i was putting into my body before games and during games just wasn't necessarily in help improving my health and wasn't really improving my performance that. Much AND i saw these guys taking you, know pre workouts and energy, drinks and it just it felt like it had small net positive for performance and mostly net negative for. Health and so ONCE i, finished and even towards the end of my last, SEASON i, SAID i want to make a. PRODUCT i want to start a business that changes this for. ATHLETES i want, to you, know create a, product a supplement, company which is What i've done with some co, founders and we created a product are our current and only, product which is Called. Flow it's actually it's A i'm kind of giving a sneak peak. There we we haven't announced the yes. Others it's Called flow and it's it's basically a pre game stick pack supplement for athletes to take before sports that improves their, endurance their their mental, performance their, hydration like improves all these physical aspects of their, performance all without caffeine and, stimulants and also has a net positive to. Health so it's it's a solution to the fact that there's never really been a pre game. Supplement it's always been athletes taking gym products and energy drinks for sports that weren't designed for. It and so with a bunch of really smart people and nutritionists and dieticians and, scientists they're all smarter than, myself we put together something that's specifically designed for athletes to take before. Sports AND i don't totally know If i'm allowed announce. This we have you, know different schools in the area that we're working with and that are taking, it you know as well before. Games, so, uh that's that's the quick on what we're. Making and we're we're you, know kind of we have a relaunch, essentially is what it is coming up this week that we're announcing with this, product and we're going to make future products for athletes as well in the. Future so that's kind of a quick snippet on the career entrepreneurial path right. Now and it's it's Called oomph is the name of the, company by the, way just to put a little quick plug in there for for oomp.
Speaker 2: And the website is oomfathlete dot com and oomph is spelled oo.
Speaker 1: Mph, yes appreciate.
Speaker 3: It, yeah it's A sometimes people hear the word they're not really sure what we're.
Speaker 1: SAYING i like.
Speaker 2: It so we have the official launch event coming up On saturday the twenty Six that Wordle Fields Regional park In. Bluffdale, oh NOW i feel bad because you have a pickleball. TOURNAMENT i was just making fun of piketball.
Speaker 1: Players.
Speaker 3: SORRY i aligned with you on your, comments BUT i still appreciate. Pickleball but it is a pick aball tournament. Launch there's a lot more than just pickleball going, on so it's kind of a whole open invite to people who want to come just try the, product play volleyball and mess.
Speaker 1: Around kind of a. Thing.
Speaker 2: Cool we got eight am eleven am doubles pickleball tournament prizes for top teams nine am to two, pm new product and flavored.
Speaker 1: Tasting you can play a little spike.
Speaker 2: Ball love me some Spike ball another game that gets a little hairy with The Checkets Family.
Speaker 1: Volleyball Free Jimmy john's as.
Speaker 2: Well so the official launch event coming up On, Saturday july the twenty. Sixth how does a pre workout drink be effective without caffeine or stimulus Because I'm i'm just a forty seven year old has been that's trying to keep my body. Together SO i do use a pre workout. Drink but there is a lot of caffeine in. It, yeah how does what make sure is a?
Speaker 3: Fact, yeah it's A i, mean you're you're asking some risky questions Because i'll go down a rabbit hole with this stuff Because i'm really interested in. It but we And i'm far from like a caffeine. HATER i JUST i get a little shaky with. Caffeine there are some negatives to the fact that it. It you, know it constricts your blood flood, vessels limits blood, flow and in some studies it's shown to actually impact endurance in a negative. Way, interesting and so our product, actually you, know dilates the blood, vessels it improves, Endurance it improves this longer wind and so we have beatroot in our, product which is great for you, know it's been used for a long.
Speaker 1: Time that's WHAT i took in.
Speaker 3: College you, know we have a lot of, that a ton of nitrates in, it more THAN i think any other product that actually improves that. Endurance we have adaptations and neotropics that improve your mental. Performance we have electrolytes and then our last product had. Carbs we remove that to give a quick little sneak, peek we're making a product that's also with carbs that you'll be able to add to you, know add with our current product flow that will add a ton of. Value so it's there's a lot of ways that you can you, know take a product and improves your performance without. Caffeine having said, that caffeine has you, know a lot of, studies there's a lot of studies on it's it's you, know net, positive like it does improve. Performance but we're going to non cafemated route and there's there's a lot of merit and a lot of a lot to why we're going that. Route so that's uh, yeah it's it's it's not necessarily something that you, need but we there's there's a way to do it and that really improves performance in a good.
Speaker 1: Way i'll take your word for. IT i don't study in of.
Speaker 2: It i'm, like, oh we work Out harmon's, okay there's a little creat you, KNOW i got. You so go to oomp athlete dot, com oomfathlete dot. Com uh O o m p hathlete dot com and then stop by the official launch event coming up On saturday At Wardle Fields Regional park In.
Speaker 1: Bluffdale BEFORE i.
Speaker 2: Say you, Loose i'm going to take advantage of having you in studio and ask you a question About, lander About Lander.
Speaker 1: Barton, sorry CAN i just say real? Quick, yeah that's?
Speaker 3: Cool just with that as, well we don't have the the products not yet for sale because we're still it's still technically in a pre order, phase so if you do go to the, website it'll be more of like a sign, up get on the email, list and In august eleventh is if the official launch day for the, product when it's going to be available to sell and all. That, SORRY i wanted to put in that quick plug as well for anyone who does end up going to the website.
Speaker 1: For sure and let us know when it's.
Speaker 2: Available we'll update our information to a big twelve media. DAY a couple of weeks, ago we were lucky enough to sit down With Lander barton for about twenty minutes AND i was telling you off, air just a sweet, kid just like a, lovely like fun person to talk, to and The barton, family it's royalty at The university Of. Utah as you, know every year it seems like there's just well plenty of guys make, plays but you, know The Nate, orchards The Chase, hansen's The Devin, lloyd's The. Clark like every year feels like there's just one dude that makes plays that change games on that side of the.
Speaker 1: Ball feels like it could be him this. Year what are you expecting From lander this? Year, yeah AND i.
Speaker 3: DON'T i really Like, lander AND i don't want to set two high expectations on him BECAUSE i think that's he's kind of had some unfair expectations put on, him, honestly rightfully, so because he's a freak and he's he's got all the physical. Tools but having said, THAT i think he is the, guy AND i think if they're gonna have a stellar, defense he's gonna have to be the guy who does make big plays and big, moments and he does it on a consistent. BASIS i think think as a friend and someone who you know knows, HIM i think my number one thing IS i JUST i hope the dude can stay healthy and stay healthy all, season and just you, know he had a few things a few. Hiccups but that's my hope for, him is because if he's if he stays, HEALTHY i just think he's gonna be a. GUY i think they're gonna put him in a good position in. There he's gonna go and make. Plays he you, know he's he's got it, mentally he's got it. PHYSICALLY i think he. Will AND i JUST i, think like most, guys it's just gonna be a matter of him staying. Healthy but he's he's the, man And i'm excited to, see you, know where his career takes and you, know now and and, later because, he's like you, said he's not just a.
Speaker 1: Ball he's a good. Dude, yeah, yeah for. Sure, hey thanks so. Much it's always good to see. You CAN i ask you real? Quick, yeah go.
Speaker 3: AHEAD i heard there were rumors in the hallway that in a start bench cut, scenario you you benched.
Speaker 1: Me is that is that? True?
Speaker 2: Okay first of, all who's selling me? Out who's selling me? Out BECAUSE i heard you bench? Me you, know because he let, Me i'm gonna ask you the, question uh, huh, Okay AND I i had to really consider this BECAUSE i knew you were coming in the. Studio, okay it Was Devin, lloyd, sure it Was Ghanny paul and good.
Speaker 1: One it was, you, okay because it was Start Bench.
Speaker 3: Cutt i'm surprised you guys didn't do, Me Devn, cody but that's those are good ones, Too.
Speaker 1: So SO i felt LIKE i had to. Start. Devin i'm, SORRY i, mean what's you what's YOUR i.
Speaker 3: Mean if If devon's here with, Me i'll, UH i would tell Him i'm starting over. Him BUT i because he's, NOT i THINK i would look stupid to Say i'm. Not here's the thing that the issue, is if you got me in a, Room cody in the, ROOM gbpo in a, Room devin in, room we're all going to say that in our, prime we're the ones that are gonna. Start but if you're an outside of looking. In someone actually told me, that AND i, said that's that's that's the right, call that's the right. DECISION i just wanted to give you hard time about it BECAUSE i, UH i don't. KNOW i WON'T i won't reveal my.
Speaker 1: Source all, right, Man, well, look it's always a.
Speaker 2: Pleasure you need any, support anything along the lines as far as what you're, Building please reach.
Speaker 1: Out you always always have a home. Here, OKAY i appreciate.
Speaker 2: It Chase hansen one of the best to ever do. It at The, universe she viewed talk who would start? Over Devin lloyd's on the, record all, right