Speaker 1: All right, thanks for being with us. My name is Sandy. This is Jimi. Hello, Tricia's here too.
Speaker 2: Hi everybody.
Speaker 3: I just realized I look rough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you haven't shaved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I look like Uncle Randy.
Speaker 4: No, it's when your hair on your head starts growing in a lot. Is when you start looking like creepy uncle Randy. Yeah that's Sandy's Oh yes, this alter ego when he lets his hair grow too long.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is. When it's the beard, I don't know, but.
Speaker 1: I need to shave everything up. It's like I've shaved my head for over twenty years. But man, do I look like a different dude when I just let it get a little bit grown in.
Speaker 2: It's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And years ago, as you just heard, Tricia nicknamed me, you look like Sandy's older brother.
Speaker 3: You're creepy older older brother.
Speaker 2: Not a good look.
Speaker 3: It's really not. I needed to take better care of myself.
Speaker 1: Hey, I think this is still cool that it still happens in Austin, that they're still in store performing it says at Waterloo Records, and one of them is today and JB, You're gonna have to expound a little bit on this. It's a name of of that I've heard a lot, and I've just like been too busy to actually go listen to any of his music.
Speaker 3: But he's got a huge fan base.
Speaker 1: And he's doing an in store today five o'clock at Waterloo Shiny Ribs.
Speaker 3: It's going to be playing.
Speaker 2: I have never heard of that person. You haven't, No Shiny Ribs.
Speaker 3: What do you know about him? Jam?
Speaker 5: Uh, not a ton, but I do know the name. I've heard a few tunes. It's very uh, it's very New Orleans sounding kind of vibe to it.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, got it.
Speaker 5: It's got a caging kind of flare. I'm not it's a great group. It is a group.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Mama didn't name him Shiny Ribs.
Speaker 4: I thought, like shiny Shiny Ribs, that is not out of the possibility.
Speaker 5: Name Shiny Ribs shy very very well known around here, though for sure.
Speaker 1: He's doing The band is doing an in store today at Waterloo Records, and I think it's I think it's still cool that Waterloo Records still does that. It could have easily gone away in the world of streaming and all that, but they still do it. I don't know if they still roll out a keg of beer for it or what.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm assuming they do because you haven't been to one in a minute, and then of course Waterloo Records will be going to moving at some point. Is that property gets developed that was inevitable?
Speaker 3: Right? Is that a done deal they are? Or for certain?
Speaker 5: Or yes they are?
Speaker 3: That sucks?
Speaker 4: Do you hear how they describe the music, which sounds awesome, a sonic melting pot of Texas blues, New Orleans R and B funk and horn driven Memphis soul.
Speaker 5: There you go, Old Does that sound much better than my description? That's a professional right there.
Speaker 1: So by the way, one wristband for one CD, one wristband for one LP and so on. A limit of four for per since today at water so that's going to be packed. But it's still I still think it's cool that they they do that kind of stuff at Waterloo Records. I saw years ago. This will age me a little bit, but the Wallflowers did an in store, Oh my gosh, at Waterloo once and I went down there and checked it out.
Speaker 3: It was kind of cool. I still think.
Speaker 5: That the resurgence of vinyl has helped keep that alive.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our daughter's way into it. She's not as into it as she was. She's fifteen, but she got super into vinyl for a little while.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my daughter's into it too, like so yeah, keep the thing alive. You know a lot of in Austin this summer, there's a lot of chatter about Blues on the Green? Did you know there's a whole other free concert series that you can hit up on?
Speaker 3: Is this one air conditioned?
Speaker 5: No, it's not shaded. Cows shaded nor shaded.
Speaker 2: No cows either, I bet Oh for the Harboretum.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh that's old school.
Speaker 2: Old was on the green at the Arboretum with the cows for the kids.
Speaker 5: That's really old school.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember walking to that from my house. I just had to cross three sixty yeah and go over and check it out.
Speaker 3: So what is this one?
Speaker 5: It's free concert series at the Long Center on Thursday, starting on the twenty second, May second, and it runs all the way through August fourteenth, twelve twelve night series.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 5: The doors, if there are doors, I don't know, open at seven. It starts at eight every Thursday, except for July third because of the holiday. Yeah, I mean on Friday. Yeah, it's very eclectic and very funky. So you're going. If you're going, you're probably checking out something that maybe you haven't heard before. But that's kind of the fun of it too.
Speaker 1: You know what else is not air conditioned and going on this weekend. And speaking of Shiny Ribs, this is actually pretty cool. Shiny Ribs and Bob Schneider are playing Lukenbach on Saturday.
Speaker 2: That sounds very cool.
Speaker 1: That would be pretty fun. Tricia, how would you describe luken Going to Lukenbag to a person that's never been.
Speaker 4: It's been so long since I've been there. But it's it's like being in somebody's giant backyard. It's old buildings, random buildings around a stage you're walking around on like callechi, you know, stuff like that.
Speaker 2: It's at the post office, yes, exactly, a been of old buildings, like an old little town.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I didn't know. For the longest I thought it was like a real actual town, like with the population and stuff. I didn't know for the longest time that it's just this little outpost.
Speaker 2: It's just a spot.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one would know about it. If Whaling and Willie didn't sing about it.
Speaker 2: Nobody would know about it.
Speaker 1: No one would know, so that's kind of cool. Shiny Ribs and Bob Schneider along with Caroline Hale, who I don't know a whole lot about. That's seven o'clock Saturday. Doors are at six. It's an all ages show. Prices from thirty to eight hundred dollars. Whoa eight hund bucks is a table ye and it seats I believe it seats eight, maybe six, I'm not sure. So if you're looking for some stuff to get out and do this weekend, that is a That's a couple of things coming up next.
Speaker 3: Trusus has got the story we love? What do we love? Today?
Speaker 4: We've got to talk about Elon Musk and what kind of neighbor he is in Westlake Hills.
Speaker 2: Are not happy with him.
Speaker 1: So I was gonna say, I'm go ahead, guess things aren't going well if it's in the news.
Speaker 2: No, and what their biggest problem with it is.
Speaker 4: He's notorious for doing this in other parts of his life and he's doing it in Westlake Kills and Westlike Kills is like.
Speaker 1: All right, stay with us. It's coming up on Austin's eight Station one o three point one. Elon Musk not making any friends in Westlake. It sounds like they don't. I don't know the story, but generally stories are not written if you're a great neighbor.
Speaker 2: This is not a praise him.
Speaker 1: Nobody he's ever written and are done an article about someone that's a great neighbor. They only get the bad names stories. That's coming up in just a little bit. Hey, if you're brand new here, it's the JB and Sandy Hour. We do it every day from seven until eight o'clock and new listeners. JB and I, longtime radio partners, did it every morning on a different station for eighteen years, and now JB joins us from seven until eight o'clock every day. And if you can't catch the whole thing, you can always grab the podcast version of the show. It's on the iHeartRadio app. Just search JB and Sandy. Let's find find out about Elon the Stories we.
Speaker 2: Love Live from the Lester Holt Studio. Here's Tricia Delicia.
Speaker 4: So Elon Musk is a huge fan base, but I will let you know that his neighbors and the residents in Westlake Hills not included in that fan base.
Speaker 2: He bought.
Speaker 4: We've all heard about this compound that he purchased so he and his baby mamas can all live together peacefully.
Speaker 2: It's a six million dollar home.
Speaker 4: He purchased it in twenty twenty two, and he is a did a sixteen foot chain leak fence, installed a metal gate, and mounted outward facing cameras, all on a very skinny, single lane public road that, because of all of the security has to have being with the richest man in the world, is completely blocked off at all times.
Speaker 3: And I'm sorry, the road going to his home.
Speaker 4: His house is blocked off. It's a single lane road. It's not a private road. It's a public road. And because of all his security, guarden's security and the vehicles going in and out, it's constantly blocking that road for the other residents.
Speaker 2: And unfortunately for Musk.
Speaker 4: The president of the homeowners association, Paul Himmer, lives directly across the street from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not having it.
Speaker 4: Armed security personnel, vehicles in and out at all times of the night. People being moved from one of his homes to another one of his homes that's like ten minutes down the street. It's causing total chaos the main issue they have. And they said that Musk is no notorious for this is he does things and then asks.
Speaker 2: For forgiveness later.
Speaker 4: All of the improvements that he's done on this house, none of them were permitted, not a single one.
Speaker 2: So now he's going they.
Speaker 5: Don't mess around night and west I lived in Westlake for fourteen years. They don't mess around with that stuff. They don't want gaudy fences. They want it to look natural.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: They don't want a bunch of cameras and lights. They want it very analog. They don't like perfectly manicured lawns. But if he said, if he has an HOA, he must be within a gated community within Westlake, because Westlake doesn't have an HOA.
Speaker 4: Oh maybe so then I don't know, but I know that the road that a street is on is not private just for him. I mean, it's open to everybody, and he makes it impossible for the other people to pass. They said that there's activity day and night.
Speaker 1: Here's here's I'm gonna be. Let's say I'm Elon Musk, right, and this guy Paul what Himmer, Paul Hammer's up my butt about stuff and being in violation and no permits, and you don't want find me.
Speaker 2: I know, right, that's what they're Yeah, that's what they're saying.
Speaker 3: How much is the fine? How much is the fine? Right? That's all I would say. I would say, just find.
Speaker 5: A six million dollar home is nothing like that? Is like, Yeah, that's like the rest of us reaching in our pocket for change to buy it for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's just not following any of the rules. And it's because he knows that there's no fine that can shut him down. And it's disruptive, it's chaotic, it's rude, it's rude, it's against their laws.
Speaker 2: And he doesn't seem to care. That pissed me off too if I lived around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just because you're the richest person in the world doesn't mean you can be an a hole right right, there's other people on the planet too. I know you want to go to Mars, I get it, But there's the we are here now, so you got to live with that.
Speaker 2: You got to act right, right.
Speaker 4: One of the things that I think is funny, it's not funny, but one of the security team guys on his own Musk security team, I guess to kind of get back at himmer for all of the things that he's called in against Musk. The Securities team reported that Himmro was walking around in the street naked. He was not walking around.
Speaker 3: In the street just making matters.
Speaker 2: Just they're just fighting with each other.
Speaker 1: But is they I'm guessing that the security fence is a violation.
Speaker 2: A sixteen foot chain link fence, no permits. Would you build that chain link for security?
Speaker 5: Why they build I'm guessing yeah.
Speaker 3: That could be because you're not going to put an ugly old chain link.
Speaker 5: Even the construction companies will put up a fence because the stolen materials that happens all the time. I bet that's what that is. That's not meant to be permanent.
Speaker 1: I can't remember when Michael Dell built his home on that mountain, but was there problems then?
Speaker 3: I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I don't think helicopter the helicopter airspace or something for him.
Speaker 5: But I think these are people not politically aligned with Elin being not liking him. That's why it was different with Michael.
Speaker 1: Dellh because they are politically aligned with him.
Speaker 4: But also if it's constant, constant coming and going and constant violations of the rules, that everybody else is following. I feel like you wouldn't be whatever your political side is. I feel like that make you mad.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, why didn't he buy a property that you could just put a helipad in or maybe you can and just zip in and out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not right in the middle of a crowded I'll.
Speaker 3: Tell you what though. He makes some badass cars. Drove one.
Speaker 1: Buddy of mine got one yesterday and took it for a ride and let me drive it. I was like, Wow, this is really cool, very different, but really cool.
Speaker 5: I haven't driven one yet.
Speaker 3: You haven't, and that it's just I don't know how to explain it, but it's just different. It's cool.
Speaker 4: It's how much is that car brand new that we drive yesterday? Fifty Like a fifty thousand dollars car brand new, and our buddy got it for like twenty grand?
Speaker 3: Yeah you got it use for years old? Twenty five? Yeah? Half price.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They don't hold their value very well, is what he was saying.
Speaker 1: Right, cool car, but gotta be a good neighbor too. So that is the story. We love still to come, JB. We got to tell you, you'll get it. You'll enjoy this about the weekend that we had because of what our daughter brought home for a school project.
Speaker 2: It was not fun, it was weird. It freaked me out a little bit.
Speaker 1: We'll tell you about it coming up on Austin dat station one oh three point one and streaming on the iHeartRadio app. Our daughter brought something home on Friday that was part of a school project that was with us all weekend and was very disruptive. Yes, it is not pleasurable. We'll get to it in just a second, but real quick, can I say something guys? And this made sound a little bit ugly, but you know the the met gala that was on Monday Day and there, did you guys happen to see the video of Pam Anderson going into the bad That is not the Pam Anderson I am used to.
Speaker 5: She's still doing the no makeup thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a bad haircut too.
Speaker 2: It was a weird haircut with the high bangs. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it might have been the look she was going for, you know the theme. I'm still not one hundred percent clearing what the theme was, but I mean.
Speaker 2: Why does she think makeup so bad?
Speaker 1: They're a little one.
Speaker 5: She made a lot of headlines by by not wearing any What was that in the last year, maybe a year? Yeah, Yeah, it got her a lot of headlines just going out with no makeup kind of a statement for women.
Speaker 1: It's still working. I make all the statement you want. But makeup's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I mean, makeups fun. It's not a bad thing. Stable a little pants.
Speaker 5: It's fun.
Speaker 2: It helps a lot.
Speaker 5: She just maybe she forgot, like Tricia, do you remember as a young, young Tricia just dieing to wear makeup for the first time? Yeah, and that she clearly has forgotten. What that that feels like? What does that feel like?
Speaker 2: I guess so.
Speaker 4: But I mean, I mean, I like, I have no makeup on most days, and I'm fine going out of the house if I'm just going, like to the grocery store and maybe the circle k, right, But to go to like some event or something with no makeup. I would never put other people through that. It is not a good look for me, and unfortunately, I don't think it's a great look for pan Anderson.
Speaker 1: It's Electricia, like she said, rarely has makeup on it.
Speaker 4: When she does, it's like, wow, I know, I feel like it looks like a horror When I pit makeup on because I'm not having any on at all.
Speaker 3: I like horse, then.
Speaker 1: Like horse boy, that won't sound good if you just took that little second.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: So our daughter is a sophomore in high school. She's almost sixteen years old. My gosh, she's going to be sixteen and twenty two days, which is hard to believe. And she's taking Human Growth and Development. Part of the curriculum of the Human Growth and Development in class is to bring home a robot baby. This is a very lifelike baby that cries and complains and has to be fed, and.
Speaker 5: The diaper change fancy, like it used to just be a bag of flower.
Speaker 1: Yeah oh yeah, but now they it's so fancy that they put a bracelet on the kid that's got some sort of on the student on, some sort of sensor on it. And when the baby makes a noise, you have two minutes to put the bracelet onto the baby's chest to say okay, mom or dad's here, oh wow, and then it's all this dad is accumulated inside of the robot baby, and then you get a grade on it.
Speaker 3: There's like times when the baby has to be rocked. There's time when the baby has to be fed. You have to figure out what.
Speaker 5: It is, okay, and how hard is it if it was like a real baby. We had a colicky baby.
Speaker 3: This baby was colic baby.
Speaker 2: Really, I told her, I go what you got there is a collage baby. Cause that baby cries too much?
Speaker 5: Was it crying in the middle of the night. Yeah, yeah, all.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, I mean very real, one real thing.
Speaker 5: I mean almost if it's accurate for them to get you should you should be so sleep deprived by the end of the assignment.
Speaker 1: I mean I thought of you, JB with that baby was crying in the middle of the night. I was like, I'm gonna take that baby. I'm gonna drive to Dallas and back with it. Because JB did that with his daughter to try and.
Speaker 5: Get her to sleep in the car she would not sleep, So you would just I would just drive and listen to books on tape.
Speaker 2: Well, here's what I'll tell you.
Speaker 4: At the beginning of the year was when Landry's teacher was like meet the parent, Meet the teacher night. She was like, yep, we have this. This is one of the projects. And I told lander Is like, we're not doing that project because the option is you either take the baby home for forty eight hours, or if you don't want to do that, you carry an egg around for four days and then you make a four entries a day in a journal about what you've done for the egg, Like we took the egg to the park and.
Speaker 3: Our hard headed kid, Yeah.
Speaker 4: She wanted the novelty of the baby, and that wore off. I mean I talked to her toes blue in the face to be sure about it. That wore off on Like our three when we were all going out to dinner and she realized she had to take the baby. It comes in a baby carrier. Yeh had to take the baby out to dinner. And I'm gonna let you know that was so awkward. Sandy and I walking in with our fifteen year old daughter carrying a baby what looks like a real baby, yeah, and putting it in the car seat, carry like the the high chair at the end of the table.
Speaker 5: Even if you don't even if you're watching and you realize it's not a real baby, it gets even weirder.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh, I was walking down the restaurant and I was like, it's school.
Speaker 4: Project project, you guys like yelling it out to the restaurant school project.
Speaker 1: And then people you know, sitting at the end of the booth and the little the waitress barught it's a little carrier to set the car seat in, and people would walk by and they want they'd look down expecting to see a real baby, and then they look and they're like, oh, clearly the yeah.
Speaker 2: Which is weird.
Speaker 5: Well did you were you were you fulfilling the assignment? And did you open up and crumble and throw crackers everywhere?
Speaker 2: Make it real messy when we left.
Speaker 4: But that Landry, that first time she started crying was when we were out to dinner and she had one of her friends come to spend the night with her that night to help. They both wigged out. And when that baby starts crying, it kind of starts low. And in about thirty seconds, that baby is screaming. And we were like, take it outside, take it in the bathroom.
Speaker 3: I have no desire to be grandpa. Oh really.
Speaker 2: Sandy carried back the carrier a couple of times.
Speaker 4: I carried it and I was like, this is either a glimpse back to when Landry was a baby, or this is what our future is going.
Speaker 3: To look like.
Speaker 4: But either way, it was so weird landry feeding it, changing its diapers.
Speaker 3: But she got an A on the project.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she got a ninety seven. She was pissed though, because her friend who did the same project, her baby died because she let it get too cold. And her friend got a ninety eight on the project and the baby died and you still got anne and she.
Speaker 2: Got a ninety eight.
Speaker 1: And she is a chip off the old block, our daughter. And here's a perfect example of it. Tell everyone when she was burping the baby, what you had to tell her.
Speaker 4: I was in one room, she was in her room burping the baby, and I had to run in and go stop hitting the baby so hard. Like she wasn't abusing it, she just didn't realize her own strength. And there is a setting on that baby that if it detects abuse or shaking, it shuts down and you get a zero.
Speaker 2: And that was all. You're hitting the baby too hard, very bad.
Speaker 5: But if he dies, you get an a. This makes no sense, Yeah, it really.
Speaker 2: She was not happy that.
Speaker 1: It really doesn't. But we survived it, We got through it. The baby's gone. Never been so happy to see a baby leaving My entire life on that baby. Yeah, and there's not much of a maternal instinct in our daughter. That's just she called it.
Speaker 2: It, She called it, and when don't it start to cry? She'd go, no.
Speaker 5: I remember when we used to play beat my baby on the radio.
Speaker 3: Oh that's fun. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we go. We'd have a caller and go, you know, say, call us and tell us when your baby started walking, and a woman would call in, Oh, my baby started walking at ten and a half months. Beat my baby. And then someone called my baby started walking at nine and a half months. Can you beat my baby? Beat my baby?
Speaker 3: My baby could read at six Beat my baby?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Who can beat the baby? Who's gonna beat the baby? Boy? Definitely got people's attention when.
Speaker 5: We go, yeah, tomorrow at seven fifteen, we're playing beat my baby baby.
Speaker 1: We have to bring that back. That's fun. It's the JB and Sandy Show. Thanks for me with us. You're just joining us. You can grab the podcast version of the show search JB and Sandy on the iHeart radio app. Coming up next, there was a a I saw this video of a woman on TikTok who was out with a walk speaking of babies with her baby on a walk and the police got called, and she lives in the neighborhood, and it reminded me of a story something that happened to me twenty something years ago that I don't think I've ever heard JB laugh so hard. It's the first time that I told this story. All right, so stick around, I'll share it with you. Coming up on Austin Daty station one oh three point one. All right, I got to tell you guys a story about something that happened to me many, many, many many years ago. And what made me remember it was this video that I saw. A woman went out and she was walking her baby in the neighborhood and someone saw her and thought she was a homeless person called the police. So here's the clip of the woman talking about what she was doing and what happened. And then you're gonna hear the police officer that showed up. And then I'll tell you a simil the story of something that happened to me.
Speaker 4: Okay, someone called the cops on me, thinking that I was a homeless person with a baby, so the cop needs to see my ID.
Speaker 2: So she followed me home when I was walking the baby.
Speaker 3: Have you given trouble about this for the rest of you guys.
Speaker 2: I I was just hilarious. I mean, I use going for a walk or something. Yeah, I mean I do it like every like.
Speaker 3: This lady lives I think a street over. She saw you, she got worried, so she followed you and then saw you watch.
Speaker 1: Me, right, so someone thought she was homeless and cold place. So something very kind of similar happened to me. I mean, this is twenty years ago, and I lived in Northwest Hills right off the three sixty between basically between three sixty and Far West Boulevard s deck that area. And I was single, and I was living alone, and I had a little basset hound dog and her name was Penelope. And so one Saturday morning, it was like in November December, so it was a little chilly out, and I had Penelope out in the front yard of my of my house. And I had on just like comfy pants, maybe slippers or tennis shoes and a big oversized coat and a ball cap on. And you know, I have Saturday morning, I just in my comfortable clothes outside in my front of my house with my.
Speaker 3: Dog, and this car pulls up to me.
Speaker 1: It's like that. I'm like, oh, what's going on, rolls the window down. I'll never in my life forget it. This older woman, she had gray hair, and she was driving a Cadillac, and she rolled down the window and she goes, she looks right at me, and she goes, why don't you walk.
Speaker 3: Your dog in your own neighborhood?
Speaker 2: Wow? I live right here.
Speaker 1: This is my house, right here, I'm in my front yard, this is my neighborhood.
Speaker 3: And she just drove off.
Speaker 2: I couldn't be nasty lady.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll never forget that mean old lady, like, aren't you walk your dow getting your own neighborhood?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: Clearly I didn't belong in my own neighborhood.
Speaker 5: You were probably you, well, you were probably one of the younger homes.
Speaker 3: My fault. Yeah, in that neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a person in that Yeah.
Speaker 5: That neighborhood's completely flipped now, but it was like an older, established neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like the nasty old meme. While who yelled at me and the Walgreens drive through.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a funny story. Do you know this story? No, go ahead, I.
Speaker 4: Was sitting at Walgreens getting a prescription. Walgreens always takes so long. And I was sitting there and waiting and waiting for the pharmacists to do whatever they were doing, and I hear a knock on my passenger door at the window and I look and it's this little omeme and I roll it down and she was so snarly with me. She goes, are you embarrassed about how long you're taking to get your medicines with all these cars behind you? And I was like, I go and something in me snapped and I go, do you have you never been to a Walgreens drive through before?
Speaker 2: And I said, do you think I'm in control of this?
Speaker 4: And about the time the pharmacist came to the window, that lady's still standing on my passenger side. And the pharmacist goes, what's going on? And I leaned back and I go, this lady thinks you're taking too long to do your job. And the lady goes, oh, clutched her pearls, went and got back in her car.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh, my god.
Speaker 1: What's amazing about Trisia's She immediately snap into oh so this is how.
Speaker 3: You want to Yeah.
Speaker 4: When she was nasty, I was like, oh, this is what we're doing. And there's part of my brain that was like it's on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like the old woman with you, Sandy, like she's gone before you even realize what Tricia knows immediately, like oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and is it horrible that a little part of me was like, oh I feel good doing that, Like it's sometimes it feels good just to be nasty back to somebody.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, some people deserve it. Yeah, it's your first time you can have a reality show just just going around town in interacting with people and just getting set off.
Speaker 2: I would love that.
Speaker 3: People sometimes think that you're not going to fight back.
Speaker 4: They think that you'll back down if you're nasty. Those are the people who were bullies growing up. Yeah you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Right, and you got to stand up to a bully.
Speaker 2: Oh bully right back? Yeah a response. I won't be the initiator.
Speaker 1: I remember telling Landry when she was little about being a bully. I said, if I ever hear of you being a bully, I'll show you what a bully is.
Speaker 3: Oh, I will show.
Speaker 1: You what a bully is. So, uh, it's the Jamie and Sandy Hour. We're gonna do this again. Tomorrow makes you follow us on Instagram. It is at JB Sandy at X and also on Facebook search the JB and Sandy Morning Show. More coming up on Austin's eighty station WHAT three point one and streaming on iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: All right, forgive us if.
Speaker 1: We sound a little bit like proud parents Tricia and I, but we are kind of proud parents today because, for those of you that don't know, we have a fifteen year old daughter and she is super active in her Junior ROTC program at our high school, which, by the way, is an awesome program taught by great people, and it's really student run. I mean the students. You get as much out of it as you want, right, and our daughter wants it all out of it. I mean, she's like all.
Speaker 2: All the things.
Speaker 1: Right and so, but part of that class is that you have to pass a personal fitness test and that involves running a mile, a certain number of pushups and a plank for a certain amount of time. And our daughter is not a runner, not built for it. You know, I'm not built for it.
Speaker 4: Tricia can run, she can plan and push up all day long. Running not her strong suit.
Speaker 3: And so she had a goal.
Speaker 1: That was a really lofty goal, so to run the mile in in order to pass this test for her class, and also is a prerequisite to a camp academy that she's going to this summer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for ROTC, she's going to a leadership academy, which, unfortunately for her, when you're fifteen years old, there is a certain time frame that you have to run the mile in less than that time, and then when you're sixteen, that time reduces by ten seconds, which ten seconds in running can be a long time. And when she goes to leadership academy, it'll be like two days after she turned sixteen, so she's already having to shave ten seconds off for run time.
Speaker 1: So she knew this was coming. When did we start the running trisponcible?
Speaker 2: I would say six or seven weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Right, and we started running every single day like trying to just get that time down to what it needed to be to pass the test.
Speaker 3: And I'm going to tell you, not without its.
Speaker 1: Its fights, it's arguments, it's disagreements, it's uncomfortableness, not without a few tears, not without some complaining and the built.
Speaker 4: In angst of a parent trying to teach and train a child that automatically puts it on a stressful level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, coaching your kid is hard. It's there's something there. But we're happy because she put in the work to do it and she passed it.
Speaker 2: She passed it with time to spare.
Speaker 1: And she thought that she could not do it at the beginning of the training six weeks ago. I don't think she honestly, in her heart or in her brain, believed that she could do it.
Speaker 3: Hm. And we kept.
Speaker 1: Telling her she could, and we put in some time at the track running and timing it and doing different interval training and all that kind of stuff. And she put in the work and she passed it. And I think I've never seen anybody so my friend said this the other day, if you could bottle up the feeling you have after you exercise and put it into a pill, you would be a billionaire. Oh yeah, And I've never seen anyone so feel so good after exercising and working out than her. Like when she runs and she's done, she feels great. And when she runs at a good pace and reaches her goal, she's so proud of herself, which.
Speaker 3: Is which is really cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she I mean, for a couple of hours, like when she in practice when she did meet the goal, not when she passed the test, but just in practice she met it three or four times. Yeah, and she for a couple of hours after would just keep bringing it up. I can't believe I did it right, I'm so excited I did it. Just the biggest smile on her face.
Speaker 3: So we're proud of her.
Speaker 5: That's so, that's so awesome, because, yeah, some people are just naturally built for things like the mile run. Like if you ever said to her, like, how hilarious it would be, Landry, if you're at track practice and they took all the miler runners, the one mile runners to come over here and throw.
Speaker 3: Shot told you that I did.
Speaker 2: True, she would fall over last.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, she would, you know, at those skinny little bean poles trying to throw the shot put.
Speaker 1: It's funny you bring that up just because I said that too. Yeah, I go, lady, in this deal, in this running, this endeavor of running, you have to work harder than other people. And the other people. You know that some of the kids that are runners in your company.
Speaker 5: In r OTC can't do two push up if.
Speaker 1: They had to go throw the shot put, they would have to work harder than you at the shotput.
Speaker 3: It's just the way it is.
Speaker 4: I told her one time, I said, you're worried about the running portion of this PFT. There's some kid who's worried about the push up portion.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: And that's what they're training for, right. But the whole point is is you have to train for it in order to meet the goal, like putting in the work. So I always try and be very mindful of praising her effort, not just her outcome, right, because then she'll think, well, she's not proud of me if I didn't achieve it.
Speaker 2: We're proud of how hard she worked.
Speaker 1: I mean, she worked hard she did. And then the other day, what day do we have the really heavy rain? I can't remember, Monday, and it was so we couldn't run outside. So we went to the Cedar Park Rec Center and on the way there I find out she's like, oh, yeah, I got to do my PFT, my personal fitness test. I got to do the push ups and the plank too. I'm like what, and she goes yeah. I go, how man, how many push ups do you have to do?
Speaker 3: Twenty? I only have to do twenty push ups and I go and.
Speaker 5: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: What she thinks, it's nothing, right.
Speaker 1: And I go, well, how long do you have to hold the plank for. It's like forty five seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a lot, a lot.
Speaker 1: And she goes, I'm not worried about that, and I go, well, I wish I didn't know about this before the day before, you know, two days before.
Speaker 3: It goes a lot.
Speaker 5: Don't worry push ups.
Speaker 3: Don't worry.
Speaker 5: That's a lot of push ups. That's impressible.
Speaker 1: And she goes, don't we all show you when we get to the gym. So we get to the gym and she ran her mile, actually did two miles that day, and then on the treadmill and then I go, okay, let's see these push ups. She knocked out twenty five of them. Yeah, nothing like nothing. I was like, huh, okay, you're real good at push ups. Let's scratch that off the last one. Worried about those and then did the plank. Really struggled a little bit, but still it's again, it's it's just one of those things that you know, you gotta she that's not her strength. She worked really hard and I'm super proud of her, and now now I fight. I'm fighting this with her and I'm not going to do it. But she reached the goal.
Speaker 3: But now so much of me wants to go all right, what's the next goal?
Speaker 1: I want to enjoy this for a while, right before we go, Okay, how can we get it to ten forty five?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? We lower twenty seconds, thirty seconds, forty seconds?
Speaker 2: I don't know, like well, but what is your like?
Speaker 4: Is your goal going to be whatever it is she has to pass for her leadership academy.
Speaker 1: I know I want her to do the best she can. I don't want her to shoot for the minimum. That's my concern. Do not be satisfied with the minimum.
Speaker 5: That's why in running they refer to it as the pr it's your personal reck, right, that's all that matters. Right, This is for you personal.
Speaker 1: Like you're competing against yourself, not nobody else. But again, I don't want her to go Okay, I can do it in the time that's required. That's all that's required of me. I'm right done.
Speaker 4: I think you're going to have a hard time keeping her running between now and her leadership academy PFT, which is at the beginning of June, like, I feel like there's a little part of this, like, oh, I should probably get a little vacation now.
Speaker 2: That's where the fight's going to be, right now, right, And she's.
Speaker 3: Got me running a little bit too, JB, which is Verry.
Speaker 4: I would run if she would allow me to be around, and I'm not allowed anywhere near the running. She has a huge problem with me being around. Can I just tell you how bad it makes me?
Speaker 3: Jab? Can I just tell you this, JB.
Speaker 1: These two, like at the track, I thought I was gonna have to separate in between them. I thought, Okay, we're gonna find out we are, we are gonna find out who can whoop poo right now?
Speaker 3: Because my money was on Landry.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no no. And she is freakishly strung.
Speaker 3: And they cannot stand each other. It's like they hate each other.
Speaker 2: It's trus me, it's her.
Speaker 3: You don't like her.
Speaker 2: Either, I don't like her, sass.
Speaker 4: The other day before we got there, we're just walking, just warming up and out of nowhere, Landry goes and I don't want to hear anything from this one either, pointing at me, and I was like, and in that moment. It was like the Granny and the Walgreens. I was like, oh, okay, now that's how we're going to do this.
Speaker 2: And it was on right.
Speaker 5: So you know what's interesting about you and running? And I'm sure you can relate to this. I heard this maybe it was on Rogan or something. I don't know where I was hearing this guy talking about running, and especially a lot of adult men. Depending on what sport you did growing up, and you played football and you were wrestling, all right, so it's true with these sports. It's also true with basketball and baseball, running is associated for those sports as punishment.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I grew up running cross country in track. That was the reward. Still run. But people who played a lot of other sports, and they specifically talk about it, Well, you get in trouble that coach gets mad at the team, what do they do? They make you run? You're out of line. You get a lippy go run, run back and forth on the basketball court, run the perimeter of the baseball field. It was always There are so many people who associate running as with punishment because that's.
Speaker 1: What it was, right and I need to remember that as we continue this with her.
Speaker 5: Go do gassers grass, You guys are a bunch of lollygaggers today. Give me twenty gassers, right.
Speaker 1: That was the gassers for us were the width of the football field down, back, down, back down, two and a half on the So it was that two hundred and fifty yards, I guess. But gassers are different everywhere. I don't know what they were in cross country. Probably a mile out, mile back, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, but late, eight miles late.
Speaker 3: For your life, for practice, see you tomorrow, start running.
Speaker 5: We had stuff like growing up in Georgetown. The coach would just drive us to Wallburg and say.
Speaker 3: Back to school.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I'm not kidding.
Speaker 1: I see those kids. I see them, and I always think of you, JB. I see them on the Brushy Creek trail. Its tall, skinny, lean kids out running in a pack of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah they're always really close together.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, skinny little kids, no shirt.
Speaker 3: And I said, the Trisha, that's what JB looked like.
Speaker 5: Yep, all through high school.
Speaker 1: But man, they can run. It's amazing. Have you ever heard of David Goggins?
Speaker 3: You ever heard of him? Now?
Speaker 1: He's a fitness ultra marathon or dude. He's a former Navy seal that couldn't get into the Navy his first time because he was like three hundred pounds or something. They wouldn't let him in, so he lost all the weight. But he runs. He was doing an interview once they and they said you run for hours, and he goes, no, I run for days. He ran.
Speaker 3: He's run for thirty nine straight hours.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, how does a body even do that?
Speaker 1: It breaks down, I'm sure could you imagine thirty nine hours? And he's one of those motivational guys you know that is just crazy fit and that's his like, that's how he makes his living being fit not bad.
Speaker 3: Wrapped this up with congratulations to Landrew.
Speaker 1: We alf proud of her and all the other cadets that passed their PFTs yesterday at their high school. That's very very cool. Make sure you join us again tomorrow. We're going to be here doing this thing. It's the most local radio show in Austin from seven until eight o'clock. Be with us on Austin's eighty station one O three point one.