Speaker 1: Sword and Scale contains adult themes and violence, and is not intended for all audiences. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: Same to realize I need to step up and be a better mom.
Speaker 3: I mean, I hate to be the bearer by news, but you're not going to get the opportunity for a long long time.
Speaker 4: Not only is the steak and to have custy of your children.
Speaker 5: You're going to.
Speaker 3: Jail today, if I have my way, You're going as an accomplished to murder.
Speaker 6: Some knights start with laughter and with sirens. No one sees it coming until it's too late. Some knights are simply born under a bad sign. You likely won't even feel it at first. The music's loud, the drinks are flowing, and it all feels harmless enough. But violence rarely announces itself. It rarely sends an R s v P with a self addressed, stamped envelope. Often it builds quietly, bubbling beneath the surface until it does what all bubbles do, and it bursts without warning. And when it does, the people who pay the price are rarely the ones looking for trouble. They're the ones standing too close when the world suddenly tilts towards chaos.
Speaker 7: Okay, how many times have been stabbed?
Speaker 5: I watched it happen.
Speaker 8: The guy had been He stabbed him in the shoulder.
Speaker 7: Say that he has.
Speaker 6: On April twenty third, twenty twenty three, at about three am, deputies from the Hawking County Sheriff's Office were dispatched to a remote cabin talked deep in the woods of Sugar Growth, a lovely village in the wonderful state of Ohio, which we love so much on this program, namely because of all the wonderful and colorful people that lived there, had all of the wonderful content they bring us. When deputies finally arrived to their destination, they found a group of young adults gathered near the front porch of the cabin. They were visibly shaken and clustered around a young man sprawled on the ground. The young man was covered in blood. He had been stabbed several times, and time was running out.
Speaker 5: Charlie, yes he is.
Speaker 9: Billion, I was back.
Speaker 6: Deputies learned that the young man's name was Charlie. While waiting for paramedics to arrive, his friends hovered close, supplying makeshift bandages and holding pressure on his stab wounds. They urged Charlie to hang on and keep fighting.
Speaker 5: You got it, You're so tough.
Speaker 4: Come on, Charlie, Yeah, you got it.
Speaker 2: On, Charlie, so good, Come on, you're so strong about.
Speaker 10: How strong you're gonna be.
Speaker 4: You're the strongest person I know.
Speaker 11: Anybody can make this like this, it's huge.
Speaker 3: There we goes squats here.
Speaker 12: Yeah, come on, Charlie.
Speaker 5: I'm so proud.
Speaker 13: I'm so proud.
Speaker 14: You're knowing so good.
Speaker 15: Keep pushing for us, all right, model to the neck, you guys, I'm not quite sure he has seals.
Speaker 6: After several agonizing minutes, paramedics arrived on scene and Charlie was gurneyed into an ambulance.
Speaker 4: How don't you shout?
Speaker 9: Nine sty went one two thirty four five one on his back, next six.
Speaker 16: Six thats two to the right, john slash year, one of the neck, one of the.
Speaker 7: Top part of his like his trap, one of the boys said, and one on the back.
Speaker 6: Charlie was in critical condition, and he was soon airlifted to the nearest trauma center, where doctors and surgeons would attempt to save his life. Back at the cabin, deputies began the grim task of piecing together what had gone so violently wrong?
Speaker 7: A wait us the stabbing.
Speaker 4: I saw everything you saying.
Speaker 7: So who else it? You? Two?
Speaker 17: Just you two?
Speaker 16: Okay, all right, I got some detectives coming.
Speaker 6: Roughly fifteen to twenty potential witnesses remained at the scene, all of them in their early twenties. Deputies corralled the group around a nearby fire pit and waited for detectives to arrive. When the inside of the cabin was searched, deputies found all the markings of a fun college like party. Decorations hung from the ceiling, beer bottles littered every surface, The kitchen sink overflowed with dishes, and a table in the living room showed signs of a recently played drinking game. Back outside, the first detectives pulled up and questioning began.
Speaker 18: So, first of all, what time did you get here?
Speaker 19: I got here yesterday, okay, so.
Speaker 18: It's now almost six o'clock on Sunday mornings.
Speaker 10: I got here on Friday Friday. I helped decorate and set up.
Speaker 18: Okay, So when you say, it's a great setip, but what was this?
Speaker 19: Uh his twenty first, twenty thirty birthday?
Speaker 18: Okay, so this is Dalton's twenty third birthday.
Speaker 6: The two story wood cabin had been rented for the weekend by twenty three year old Dalton Flag as part of his birthday celebration.
Speaker 10: All right, so this is your birthday party? Yes, okay, so walk me. How long have you been here this year?
Speaker 18: The whole weekend? Yeah, we got here Friday like four pm, I think it was.
Speaker 6: Dalton arrived at the cabin that Friday evening with his girlfriend and roommate. The three of them started setting up, decorating the space and anticipation of what they hoped would be a carefree weekend of partying with friends. Naturally, Dalton had sent out the invites, including one to twenty two year old Charles Starner, known to most as Charlie or Chuck. Charlie was a manager at a small pizzeria where he employed several of the friends, He was engaged and the father of a nine month old son. That night, Charlie showed up to a party with his fiance and two close friends.
Speaker 3: So you get here tonight around seven pm?
Speaker 10: Okay, you wrote down with Charlie, Caleb and Rachel. Okay, what happens when you guys get here? Everything is fine and dandy.
Speaker 18: Everything was fine.
Speaker 20: That kid wasn't even here when I first got at your ead inchuke for the kids. That step Charlie wasn't here for hours when I was here, and everything was.
Speaker 10: Fine, okay.
Speaker 6: The atmosphere at the cabin was everything you'd expect from a typical college aged party. People were drinking heavily, some smoking weed, and a few others were openly using cocaine. The hot tub was in use, drinking games were underway, and everyone seemed to be having a great time until suddenly they weren't.
Speaker 18: It was pretty chill. Then, how did we get to this? Honestly, I don't know where were you at.
Speaker 21: I was inside and I just heard people screaming, so I ran out to look because obviously I'm nowsing, but me and Ryan like heard them yelling, so we ran out to check it out. And he was just fighting, which, uh, it was just a bunch of the guys.
Speaker 18: So there's more than two people fighting.
Speaker 21: It wasn't really fighting. Everyone was just yelling at each other.
Speaker 17: And then.
Speaker 21: We went inside because we didn't really think anything of it. Then we heard a bunch of screaming and I came out and that's when I saw, like the guy.
Speaker 18: I don't even know who he was, So the guy you're talking about, the person who was hurt.
Speaker 21: Or the person that was hurt. I see him where I think his neck, I don't know. I just seemed blood like dripping down him and that freaked me out and I took off running into the woods because I was scared.
Speaker 6: One of the first challenges detective's face was that not everyone at the party had witnessed the stabbing. To make matters worse, many of the attendees were strangers to one another, having met for the first time that night. When questioned, several had trouble recalling names, making the investigation difficult to untangle.
Speaker 18: Do you know who did this or were you told?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 19: I know his name, okay, Isaac Pince, Isaac Paince, I don't know how to spell it.
Speaker 18: He's the one. Everyone said it. He was the one that drove the car, pulled the car out of here. I don't know what kind of car. Will see him leave. I'll see him peel out with the car. Who's anybody with him?
Speaker 7: I think it's fiance.
Speaker 6: Despite the challenges, detectives managed to determine who had been stabbed, and perhaps more importantly, who had done the stabbing. Over and over, the partygoers pointed to one person, a young man named Isaac Pence.
Speaker 10: So you guys are hanging out. When does Isaac arrive?
Speaker 20: I couldn't tell you, like an exact time.
Speaker 22: And if I didn't guess, i'd.
Speaker 10: Say the weaven who's he arrived with?
Speaker 18: And is that his fiance?
Speaker 10: I think I think their may engaged.
Speaker 7: Maybe I'm non positive on that work, Okay, I.
Speaker 18: Know the data for sure.
Speaker 6: Twenty year old Isaac Pence arrived at the cabin with his fiance, Sabra Flag, who was the sister of the birthday host, Dalton Flag. Sabra was the only reason Isaac had been invited in the first place, and it didn't take long for detectives to learn that Isaac and Dalton had a rocky history.
Speaker 18: How he and Isaac been together like four years? So do you know Isaac?
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Who is he?
Speaker 18: What do you mean? Play good person? I'm a good person.
Speaker 19: When he's not drinking.
Speaker 18: Yes, when he's drinking Isaac was drinking.
Speaker 19: Yes, and time he drinks.
Speaker 18: He's very violent, has Isaac and never had bad blood before?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 19: Because he just he doesn't treat Saber well at all. Yeah, but they never got along.
Speaker 23: And I told like, I like Saber wanted to come, and Dalon's like, Isaac would only allow her to come if he came with her, And Dalton was like, not okay with it, but he said, as long as he's not drinking.
Speaker 19: But as soon as he came to the house he was drinking.
Speaker 18: In trouble before for drinking for one.
Speaker 19: I know he's on probation for something he's not supposed to be drinking, and he is.
Speaker 6: By nearly all accounts, Isaac Pence had a reputation for being a violet drunk. He had only just recently been released from jail for assaulting Sabra and Dalton's mother. Dalton knew Isaac was trouble. He didn't want him at the party, especially not in a secluded cabin in the woods, but to keep peace with his sister stir, Dalton gave in and allowed Isaac to attend. That would turn out to be a grave mistake.
Speaker 10: Who was Isaac West? Who did he sleep with?
Speaker 16: My sister?
Speaker 24: Sabrify She stays with Isaac and his parents, So she lives with Isaac and his parents and Isaac's had issues in the past. He's put his hands on my sister, and he's just literally went to jail three months ago for putting his hands on my mom.
Speaker 10: How old was Isaac?
Speaker 12: Twenty twenty one?
Speaker 6: By this point, detectives had started to piece together the key relationships and some of the night's events, but this information hadn't come quickly. Hours had passed and partygoers were now sobering up. Many were growing restless and increasingly impatient with the process.
Speaker 5: I wanted to fucking go home. I've been sitting here for fucking hours. I'm freezing. We're not I get it. I am fucking old as fun.
Speaker 7: You understand it, bro?
Speaker 5: Why are you? Why are you choking?
Speaker 12: Why are you choking?
Speaker 5: Why do you get your record recordish? Hey, records that have a fuck?
Speaker 4: You're choking?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 6: That guy was taking a jail for disrupting the scene of an emergency. And the interviews continued. As detectives continue to ask questions, they eventually learned how the party was turned into a scene of chaos and violence.
Speaker 10: All right, so what started this whole argument?
Speaker 24: So everyone, like most people were leaving, Isaac was beyond drugging and he was calling everyone like names. I don't even like, I don't even know why he was acting where he was because everybody was leaving and everything, like.
Speaker 18: Everything we roll done.
Speaker 24: He started acting, pushing other people, me and my o over there and say heyboy, like just see he's like you're fine, You're good, like just you're good.
Speaker 25: Just leave.
Speaker 20: Like from the leave he got super mad and they started to raise their voices at each other.
Speaker 18: For some reason, he pushed a rising really hard, like into.
Speaker 20: A table, okay, And then that was when things like really escalated because now Dalton was super mad because his girlfriend got pushed and they.
Speaker 10: Were just like screaming at each other.
Speaker 19: He didn't want to leave.
Speaker 12: He came charging, pushed me.
Speaker 13: On the ground and charged at Dalton, and then that's when Dalton came back at him, and everyone pulled him off, and then he started coming at everyone else in the house, and then that's when.
Speaker 19: It went outside.
Speaker 6: Several witnesses explained that the violence started when Dalton asked Isaac to leave. In response, Isaac shoved Dalton's girlfriend, arising, sending her crashing to the ground. The moment people saw Isaac put his hands on a woman, the atmosphere snapped, voices exploded in anger, and the confrontation spilled outside onto the driveway of the cabin.
Speaker 10: What happens when they get outside?
Speaker 13: There was a group of people telling him to leave. We told him we were about to call nine one one if he didn't leave. Everyone say no, no, his or his baby arms say.
Speaker 7: No, no't call nine one one.
Speaker 11: He's on probation.
Speaker 12: He's gonna get in trouble.
Speaker 6: A crowd quickly formed. A large group surrounded Isaac, telling him to leave. At the same time, a smaller group held Dalton back, trying to stop him from launching into a fistfight with Isaac like I was trying to.
Speaker 18: Come out and Cray and all them me like it's not worth it. Just he's leaving. Cray Yeah, crazy right?
Speaker 10: There is that real name?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 18: I think it's like c One.
Speaker 6: Sorry to interrupt the flow of the story here, but I have a question, ask what the hell's going on with the names at this party? Cray, Sabra, Horizon, Teca, and Cinnamon, just to name a few.
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 6: What kind of dope smoking bead wearing crystal charging music festival, attending double wide living minimum wage earning ANTIFA supporting wannabe hippie parents named these dumbass children, we gotta set up your kin for success with a name like Cinnamon. By the way, Sure that'll keep her off the pole. Next up on stage, Cinneamon. Anyway, Dalton was being held back by his friends who were telling him not to fight Isaac, while several others were shouting at Isaac, telling him to get into his car and pedal is a little lass out of there?
Speaker 10: What did you see or observe from that time forward?
Speaker 13: A whole bunch of pushing okay, shouting, yelling, pushing, yelling, shoving okay, And then what happened?
Speaker 18: He was essentially carried to his car by life three.
Speaker 22: Or four people trying to get him to like there wasn't no him wanting to leave like he was.
Speaker 10: Definitely, it was more like a forceful.
Speaker 22: Like he had the yeah, like there was multiple guys grabbing him and trying to shove him in his own car, trying to get him to just be gone.
Speaker 10: Okay, and where.
Speaker 20: Is yes in the car.
Speaker 10: With him into the passenger seat okay.
Speaker 6: Several guys dragged Isaac to the driver's side of his car at about the same time, Isaac's fiance Sabra, hopped in the passenger seat of the same car.
Speaker 26: So at this point they're in the car and there's a couple of people like banging on the windows. He gets mad and opens and he opened the door, and Charlie was one of the people that were.
Speaker 18: Trying to get him in the car and get him to leave, and he.
Speaker 20: Just happened to be the guy in front of the driver's door, just grabbing him for whatever reason and started stabbing him.
Speaker 18: Like it was like six times too. I saw Charlie fall to the ground.
Speaker 10: Does he immediately get back in the car and leave?
Speaker 18: What?
Speaker 10: What's the next course of action?
Speaker 20: Just gets in his car, slams the door and spends tires, drags up the drop one d was.
Speaker 18: Just so crazy.
Speaker 13: I walk inside and then I think, like ten minutes after, they come out and he.
Speaker 12: Said he just stabbed him. He just stabbed him. What is going on? What are you looking for? She's like, Charlie just got stabbed.
Speaker 6: When Isaac was forced into his car, he reached into the center console, pulled out a small work knife, grabbed the nearest person and just started stabbing. I mean, that's what I always do when I'm frustrated. His unlucky victim was Charlie Starner. With no warning, Charlie was struck multiple times, including potentially fatal stabs to his back and neck. He collapsed to the ground, bleeding heavily, while Isaac slammed his car door shut and sped off with Sabra, you know, like the hummus.
Speaker 8: I was standing up for a porch, and I watched him get stabbed right there next to my truck, and uh, Jimmy and the guy who's covered in blood. He carried him over here to the other side of my truck.
Speaker 12: Where the big pull of blood is.
Speaker 8: And I opened up the back of my truck and started rummaging through and grabbing my mid kids.
Speaker 6: Among the guests at the party was a young woman named Amanda Chapman who had a background in ems. When Charlie went down, Amanda rushed to her truck, grabbed a medical kit, and began doing everything she could to help.
Speaker 10: Tonight was a story, and that was terrifying.
Speaker 26: I understand completely well, the two that were out here, can you identify both of them?
Speaker 12: So Charlie is the one that I was of a sternal reb on.
Speaker 10: I don't know the guy that was in the car of.
Speaker 12: That stabbed him. I guess his girls lost with him.
Speaker 8: Okay, everybody that's here right now, I really don't think anything was malicious, but the dude who fled.
Speaker 10: Like was out to kill.
Speaker 6: Multiple people at the party called nine one one. As they waited, they hovered helplessly around Charlie, watching Amanda and a few others render what little aid they could. As Charlie was bleeding out on the ground. Everyone hoped that help would get there in time.
Speaker 18: Did Charlie say anything?
Speaker 7: I have.
Speaker 18: I heard no words come out of that man's mouth. And that's what I think.
Speaker 7: That's what the most.
Speaker 18: Charlie conscious or unconscious for while he was conscious, I couldn't be outside for the rest of it.
Speaker 7: I couldn't see to call his mom, let him, let.
Speaker 18: Him know what's going on. When Charlie was conscious, he didn't say nothing.
Speaker 7: He didn't say nothing.
Speaker 18: He didn't say what happened.
Speaker 7: No, he couldn't, He couldn't, he couldn't. He was please No.
Speaker 6: While first responders were en route and throughout the rest of the morning, Dalton's girlfriend exchanged text messages with Sabra, who was presumably still sitting in the passenger seat next to Isaac.
Speaker 26: Did you have any contact with the suspect or Saber after they left here?
Speaker 12: She texted me, and I texted her back.
Speaker 10: Okay, what did the text me to say?
Speaker 13: She started two fifty six. I'm going to need my shoes and my purse back.
Speaker 12: Hello. I need you to answer right now.
Speaker 10: Hello.
Speaker 12: I said, we have your shit. You'll get it tomorrow. She said, I have to have it. What the hell was that?
Speaker 7: Hah?
Speaker 13: His friends jumped him. I said, you're not getting it till tomorrow. I said, you show up with you and Isaac. It's all going to be bad.
Speaker 6: What stood out most about this text exchange is what wasn't said. At no point did Saber ask how Charlie was doing. Her only concern was retrieving her purse and a few other meaningless belongings she'd left behind at the cabin.
Speaker 13: She said, I'm going to need my glasses, shoes, and purse or 'all going to prison. She said, the key to my goddamn work and if I don't get it back, I'll call the fucking cops. And then she texts me out four point thirty two. I need my shit, what's going on.
Speaker 6: Once paramedics arrived, Charlie was quickly rushed to a trauma center and prepared for emergency surgery. Back at the cabin, detectives got to work interviewing witnesses, searching the scene, and trying to understand exactly what had gone down. While doing this, they got some interesting news.
Speaker 4: Right yeah, allegedly suspects on his way back here.
Speaker 7: It's awesome.
Speaker 4: So they went to the hotel room where sabers mam is sang.
Speaker 10: She told him to get their shit and get out.
Speaker 5: And I don't know if she doesn't know if he's coming back.
Speaker 10: To Tennis when he started or what.
Speaker 6: The detectives learned that Isaac Pence was still furious and it was headed back to the cabin. Apparently stabbing someone several times hadn't been enough for him. He wanted more blood. He wanted to finish what he had started. In the early morning hours of April twenty third, twenty twenty three, twenty two year old Charlie Starner was clinging to his life after being stabbed multiple times at a party at a secluded rental cabin in the woods of Sugar Grove, Ohio. And I mentioned how nice Ohio is at this time of year. Ohio really is the heart of it all when the heart isn't being stabbed, that is. As detectives scrambled to make sense of this chaos, witness after witness identified the attacker as twenty year old Isaac Pence. They also warned police that Isaac wasn't done. Apparently he planned a return to the cabin to finish what he started. To prevent another wave of violence. Officers were posted at the end of the cabin's driveway where they braced for Isaac's return, but he never showed. By morning, police shifted gears and went looking for him. They found Isaac fast asleep at the home that he shared with his mother, stepfather, two younger siblings, and his fiance, the infamous Sabra Flag. Officers took both Isaac and Sabra into custody and began questioning Isaac's mom.
Speaker 4: Do you normally keep their children on a regular Basela?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: And they go out and do whatever?
Speaker 4: Any history of drug us in abouse?
Speaker 22: No?
Speaker 4: How about alcohol, yes, between both of them or one of.
Speaker 7: Them her so much.
Speaker 4: But you know Isaac drinks just about every weekend.
Speaker 5: Would you say has anger issues?
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, totally, okay.
Speaker 3: I mean sometimes he does get really mad when he's drinking.
Speaker 6: When detectives arrived at Isaac's home, they were met with a few surprises. First, they discovered that Isaac and Sabra had two young children, a one year old and a four month old. Neither of them seemed to be carrying themselves like parents, are you surprised or are you starting to recognize patterns yet? The day to day care of the children fell mostly to Isaac's mother, who also informed investigators that her son struggled with alcoholism and a history of violent behavior.
Speaker 7: Nuh duh.
Speaker 5: How long have they lived here?
Speaker 4: Isaac's been here his whole life.
Speaker 5: Sabra has been here on and off for the last two years. Three years.
Speaker 4: Is that about how long they've been together. They've been together four years, four years?
Speaker 19: Okay.
Speaker 6: Once they gathered enough background information on Isaac and Sabra, detectives turned their focus to the night of the stabbing. They asked Isaac's parents what they knew about the party at the cabin.
Speaker 12: Do you know where.
Speaker 4: Isaac and Sabra were at last night?
Speaker 3: There's no clue, Okay, do you know what time they arrived back at the home.
Speaker 4: They showed up about five o'clock because they're working me up beating on the door. Okay, so they were beaten on the door. Arrived back here at about five am. Did they say anything when they came in? Not really, did you notice anything out of the norm. It just seemed like they were like irritated and like mad.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 6: Another thing that took detectives by surprise was the state of the home. You see, it was completely filthy. There was trash thrown about everywhere, and the stench of urine and dogshit was just oh overwhelming. Then again this was Ohio, how long has your house.
Speaker 17: Been like this?
Speaker 18: So the scores, you know, a hole here there at the wall, and trash and the order what I'm talking trash in the house.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, yeah, we've we've had a health time trying to keep everything cleaned up since you know, we don't have any health at all, and like I'm recuperating from a heart attack. So we just had a heart attack and I was the one that had I had a tester erical and it's pemonia level in your house is ridiculous.
Speaker 6: Concerned by the smell detectives tested for ammonia levels inside the home. The results were off the charts, which is an extreme health risk, especially for children. When asked about it, Isaac's parents pointed the finger squarely at Isaac and Sabra.
Speaker 9: But the whole doll thing that they've had that bed roude the whole time that they've had that doll here. They don't take it out to use the bathroom for an elfandles just she's the bathroom everywhere.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: After removing Isaac and Sabra from their disgusting home, officers transported both of them to the Sheriff's office. Once there, Sabra was the first to be interviewed.
Speaker 2: My brother's the one who's through the party for his birthday, right, yes.
Speaker 5: For his birthday.
Speaker 2: Darlon's black and he I already talked it with him, and I was like, you because they've you, my brother Isaac have had some issues in the past, but they were trying to get over.
Speaker 11: It because my brother wanted to be more involved in my life. He wanted to be more involved in his nephew's life.
Speaker 4: And I was like, well, he's.
Speaker 11: Part of my life, you know.
Speaker 7: I love them.
Speaker 11: I want to work things out with him. He's to bothering both of my kids. So he was like, yeah, this fine, you guys can come, you know, just no drama. I was like, yeah, he's fine.
Speaker 2: He's probably not even drinking, and if he does, he's all I want to drink a little bit because we.
Speaker 4: Have to go home.
Speaker 18: I have to open.
Speaker 6: Saber began her interview by explaining how she and Isaac ended up at her brother Dalton's birthday party at the cabin. She admitted Dalton didn't want Isaac there, but she had convinced him that there would be no drama. That promise, of course, was broken. Sabra went on to describe how the night changed from fun and happy times to horrible, bloody violence, and all of.
Speaker 2: A sudden, I hear this that, like, you know, arguing, and I was like, oh my gosh, please, it's not with Isaac.
Speaker 5: I go out and I hear like a bunch.
Speaker 7: Of different stories.
Speaker 2: Isaac and a few other people are saying that he accidentally pushed Horizon, which is.
Speaker 11: My brother's girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Then my brother was sitting here saying he intentionally pushed her. I don't think he intentionally pushed her. He's not the type of person. He's not violent, especially with girls, so I know he's not that type of person.
Speaker 11: And they're sitting here arguing.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to talk to Isaac to calm down, because I'm like one of the only people that can coming down.
Speaker 11: I'm like, okay, let's just you.
Speaker 2: Know, if anything, let's just go in your car, sit for like a couple of hours, and then he can go home. And then they followed us outside. They all start like like trying to fight Isaac all at the same time. I don't know exactly who it was because there were so many people, but I know that there was like three or four people trying to fight Isaac at the same time.
Speaker 6: Sabra's version of events clashed with just about every other witness. According to her, Isaac wasn't the aggressor. He was the victim back into a corner and forced to defend himself against a group of guys just looking for a fight out of nowhere. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: And it was like ten guys, all my brother's friends, and this guy I think his name is Clay.
Speaker 11: He pushed Isaac and Isaac got flying back into a car and Isaac I don't know if he like pushed him or back or what he did, but I tried.
Speaker 2: To intervene and I was like, and he's just trying to protect himself.
Speaker 12: Like there's like ten guys jumping him.
Speaker 11: And I was like, I was like, it's not his soul.
Speaker 4: And somehow I.
Speaker 2: Fall and they were like trampling all over and I have big bruise on my knee. And then I still hear them fighting over here and Isaac he got in the car and he goes, Saber.
Speaker 1: Come on, come on, come on.
Speaker 2: Then I got in the car and he drove off because I think people were coming back at him.
Speaker 11: And he was like, OK, God, I'm done, and so we just drove off.
Speaker 6: There was one glaring omission and Saber's story. Did you catch it? I'll give you a hint. It has to do with pointy things going stabby stabby. Weird how she missed the most interesting part of the story, huh. Naturally, detectives pressed her about this.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know someone got stabbed until way after it left, and I was like, I think I sat that dude.
Speaker 5: I think I stabbed him.
Speaker 11: I was like, what the heck do you mean he's like, I think I stabbed him.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my god, I like you literally ran away, like not what you should do.
Speaker 6: Saber claimed she hadn't seen anyone get stabbed, and that she only heard about it afterwards. She wasn't too curious about it either. In fact, she doesn't seem to be too curious about anything really. When asked where she and Isaac went after fleeing the cabin, she said they made a quick stop at a friend's house, someone named Justin, before heading home.
Speaker 7: So when you were at Justin's house, what did you guys do there?
Speaker 2: So we sed to self there to look at Isaac's car, and then I went in and p our use of afron and I came out and I was looking at Isa's car with him and Justin.
Speaker 11: They smelled to Sarah and then we left and then we went straight home.
Speaker 6: This brief stop at Justin's would eventually become an important part of this case, but more on that later. After questioning Sabra, detectives moved on to Isaac.
Speaker 7: Who you live there with my mom? Instead of do I get a little brother? Litle's okay?
Speaker 16: Then Sabra and my two kids and my fielance.
Speaker 11: Okay, all right, And how old are your children?
Speaker 7: One is one and one is four months. How far did you make it through school? About? I think eleventh grade? Eleventh grade? Okay, did you get your ged or anything?
Speaker 22: Now?
Speaker 16: I went straight into concrete as sin as I turned eighteen, and I wanted to go and get a different career.
Speaker 7: But every time I go, when I started different jobs.
Speaker 5: It's like, oh, well, just pull it off, pull off, pull it off.
Speaker 7: Okay, so I'm wanting to at some point.
Speaker 6: Okay, Detective's got more background info from Isaac, this overachiever. This criminal background wasn't extensive, but it was certainly concerning.
Speaker 7: Have you been in trouble or anything at all?
Speaker 16: Yeah, okay, for what I've got an assault change on her mom, you know, assault charge on her mom.
Speaker 7: Yeah, agos out this month.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I cannot win with the family.
Speaker 6: I cannot win with this family, he said, after admitting to an assault charge on his girlfriend's mom, you know, his kid's grandma. He says this matter of factly and completely un ironically. I swear you'll never convince a retard. They're not a genius. Going forward, You'll start to see a pattern here with Isaac. If you're smart enough to see patterns. Nothing is ever his fault.
Speaker 5: So it sounds like you guys came up here for a birthday party. Is that correct?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was brother's birthday. Me and her brothers never get along.
Speaker 16: Okay, it was in their whole time, and it's like, this is a b idea I want to make her happy.
Speaker 7: It sounds like, you know, I will try to put my PRIs on it. Let's go ahead and go. Okay, we were there. Thing was good.
Speaker 16: Well, everything was completely fine, and we're having a good time.
Speaker 6: Isaac claimed that he didn't want to go to Dalton's birthday party, but out of the goodness of his heart, he decided that being there would make Saber happy. What a selfless stand up guy he is.
Speaker 16: We're all seeing right here in the hallway, and someone did pushing me, so I pushed him back. Well, Dunton thought that I pushed his girlfriend wise, and so he got all of his stuff. That's when everyone tried to jump me. Well, I kind of know what I'm doing a little bit, so I started throwing them to the side. I went outside, and that's when they started trying to him at me. It was all at once and so I was just tossing to the side and they all just kept going.
Speaker 7: So I went to my car. I shouldn't do her. S Hey, if you want to go, then where you want. Well they came and they got the.
Speaker 16: Hoss car and they took her sunglasses, I know, her actual glasses, and her purse out trying to keep her just stay.
Speaker 7: There, and I was like, well, with everything going on, like I'm going to leave.
Speaker 6: Much like Sabra Isaac's version of events clashed with every other witness. That's because absolutely no murder and the history of mankind has ever started with a completely innocent dude getting pushed and mobbed at a festive gathering for absolutely no reason. But don't let common sense smack it across the face.
Speaker 16: Once they started sitting there trying to bust the glass to get to me, that's when I put out a knife.
Speaker 7: I was like, hey, you need back up, and they didn't want listen. No one want to listen. So you were in your car, So what did you do? Did you open the car a little back up? No, they ended up opening my car door. They did. Yeah.
Speaker 16: It was two or three guys were sitting there and they're just yanking. I was trying to hold it as good as I could. They want I was like, listen, just start poking.
Speaker 7: Out a little bit, okay.
Speaker 16: I didn't try to do it to physically hurting body really bad, but I did just like like, hey, I have a knife, come down. They wouldn't stop. They just kept going. So I tried to step the one guy in the arm just so they would get it.
Speaker 7: So he was right there beside you. Yeah, he opened my corriwor and he's coming trying to grab me. He's coming to try to grab me. Yeah, that's why I st to have his arm.
Speaker 27: Well.
Speaker 7: As soon as I stepped him in the arm, they left.
Speaker 16: The Let you guys took off completely, okay, And that's when Saber got.
Speaker 7: In the car and I took off.
Speaker 6: Isaac also claimed that he only stabbed Charlie in the arm, but the detectives obviously knew better. After all, they weren't retarded like Isaac. They of course knew Charlie had been stabbed multiple times all over his body. This was a careless lie on Isaac's part, and one that would make him look way more guilty.
Speaker 7: He stabbed the guy in the yarm one time. I think it was voice twice. Are you? Are you sure wasn't more than that, because there's more stab wounds than that. I didn't think I was.
Speaker 16: Because I'd tried to just get him to go with. I was not trying to hurt him, didn't want he added, I just wanted him to go with because there's fifteen.
Speaker 6: Us as a friend, Jean stabbing someone as a preventative measure.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 6: After giving this bullshit version of the stabbing, Isaac went on to tell two more lies that would later come back to haunt him.
Speaker 7: So did did you go? Where'd you go after that? I went straight home? Okay, you're knife. You don't know exactly where you put it.
Speaker 16: They're looking for a new car right now, no clue wordness, it's in my car or it that was that property.
Speaker 6: Not only did Isaac's story contradict at least ten other witness statements, but it didn't even align with Saber's story. These two idiots couldn't even get their story straight. He told detectives that after the stabbing, he went straight home, conveniently leaving out the stop at Justin's house. Naturally, detectives were curious about why he would lie about that. They planned to reach out to Justin and question him about Isaac's early morning visit to his house, but before they got the chance, Justin called them, Tarry friend.
Speaker 25: Showed up to my house like breath thirty this morning, drunk, and he was flipping out, like saying that he got jumped at some party that he was at and he had to use an IF on someone.
Speaker 10: And I told him they didn't want.
Speaker 25: To hear antonom he needed to leave and turn himself in because he can't just make something like that go away for a He threw the knife over there.
Speaker 6: Justin told detectives that Isaac tossed a knife into a bush near Justin's driveway. Police then recovered the weapon, which was still spattered with Charlie's blood. In a follow up interview, Justin also revealed something else Isaac had talked about returning to the cabin to do even more damage.
Speaker 7: He did say.
Speaker 25: Stuff like that of your house kind of it was more of like he just wanted to go back and beat up the other people that were trying to jump him.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right.
Speaker 6: As the investigation deepened, more of Isaac's lies unraveled. Detectives learned that after ditching the knife, he and Sabra made yet another stop, this time to visit Sabro's mother.
Speaker 5: So they did end up coming to your place.
Speaker 11: Yes, they were there fifteen twenty minute.
Speaker 5: I don't even think twenty minutes.
Speaker 19: He's just talking about how he was going to get what he needed.
Speaker 5: And he was going out out there.
Speaker 6: By now, detectives had gathered multiple witness statements that pretty much proved both Isaac and Sabra had lied about what led up to the stabbing, the stabbing itself, and what they did afterwards. But the most damning evidence was still to come.
Speaker 12: There is a camera on cabin six, Is that correct?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 12: Would it have been.
Speaker 7: Recording at all or doing any kind of recording last.
Speaker 9: Night video but on audio audio.
Speaker 22: I need that video preserved, and I need to get that video here at our office as soon as I can get it.
Speaker 6: Detectives contacted the owner of the rental cabin, who turned over surveillance footage from a motion activated camera mounted on the front porch. Though it didn't capture the stabbing, it revealed the moments leading up to it. The footage showed what several witnesses had already described. Near the front porch of the cabin, Dalton's friends physically held Dalton away from Isaac to keep him from fighting. At the same time, a group surrounded Isaac gesturing for him to leave. There's no audio, but the body language is clear they weren't looking for a fight. Then Isaac threw a wild punch at the crowd. It missed. Someone shoved him back against a parked car. A few partygoers then grabbed Isaac and carried him towards his car, right out of the camera's view. See how that series of events actually makes sense? Or are you also from Ohio? Yeah, I'm talking to you. This footage was pretty important as it showed the partygoers were not trying to hurt Isaac. They just wanted him to leave before things got worse. But this wasn't the only video that detectives recovered.
Speaker 8: Well, I flew off the porch so fast and I ended up on record of my truck because I thought Isaac was.
Speaker 2: Going to in my car, so I started recording the video in the circumstance.
Speaker 28: That he hit record, and I captured the entire stabbing.
Speaker 6: Remember Amanda Chapman, she's the young woman who rushed to Charlie's side after the stabbing. She had the presence of mind to pull out her phone and hit record when the fight started. What you're about to hear comes from Amanda's cell phone. These are the final seconds just before the stabbing.
Speaker 12: My car Watch It.
Speaker 6: Savages. Amanda's footage begins with Isaac halfway sitting in the driver's seat, his door cracked open, and his one foot on the ground outside of his Several people are trying to close the door, but Isaac resists, pushing back against them. People are shouting, get the hell out of here and get in your car. No one is threatening Isaac, no one is swinging. They just want him gone. Charlie Starner is among the voices the video shows, embracing against the door, trying to keep Isaac in the car. Then, without warning, Isaac grabs a knife from the center console. He stands, slips part way out of the car, and opens the blade. What follows is horrifying. In the audio, you can hear the metallic click of the knife being opened, right before Isaac swings again and again, plunging the blade into Charlie's back, neck and anywhere that Isaac can reach. Fair warning, this next bit of audio is not an easy listen.
Speaker 11: Car.
Speaker 6: The video cuts off, but witnesses filled in the rest. After the stabbing, Charlie collapsed, his friends dragged him away, while Isaac slammed the car door shut and sped off with Sabra or whatever the fucker name is. Later, more surveillance footage surface, this time from Justin's house. On it, Isaac can be seen tossing the knife into a bush before disappearing into the night. Isaac had already lied to detectives during his first interview, but now armed with this overwhelming evidence, they questioned him a second time, and they had some devastating news.
Speaker 3: What you did last night is fucked up. You killed somebody. He's dead and died.
Speaker 5: He died at eight thirty one this morning. The world lost a father.
Speaker 4: He leaves behind a nine and a half month old son.
Speaker 5: Named jet Okay. A mother and father lost their son.
Speaker 3: A girlfriend lost her boyfriend that she held compression on for several minutes waiting.
Speaker 5: For a medic to get there to try and save his life.
Speaker 4: He died at Grant's morning, and you're facing murder charges.
Speaker 6: Roughly five and a half hours after the stabbing, Charlie Starner died at Grant Medical Center in Columbus, Ohio. Despite the doctor's best efforts and emergency surgery, Charlie's heart gave out. With his death, the case shifted and got a whole lot more serious. Both Isaac Pence and Saber Flagg were now facing murder charges in a lifetime behind bars. On April twenty third, twenty twenty three, twenty year old Isaac Pence and his fiance Sabra Flag were taken into police custody after a night of violence at a cabin party that left twenty two year old Charlie Starner dead. Isaac and Sabra lied repeatedly during their first interviews with detectives, hoping to cover their tracks, but when detectives brought them back for a second round, this time armed with overwhelming evidence, their lies began to unravel. They started with Sabra and quickly broke the tragic news that Charlie was dead.
Speaker 4: So, mother to mother, you.
Speaker 29: Love your children, right, okay, and you want to see your kids again some day because today somebody.
Speaker 4: Actions made it so.
Speaker 29: A mother lost her son, a father lost his son, somebody lost their boyfriend. Okay, several friends lost another friend who bled out at the hands of someone that you care.
Speaker 4: About, and you know something, I really I don't. You were there, Yeah, but I didn't.
Speaker 11: I didn't know he got stabbed.
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 11: I didn't know that until after he would left.
Speaker 10: I swear, if.
Speaker 3: You're trying to protect this man, you're going to go down as an accomplished from her.
Speaker 7: I'm not. I promise.
Speaker 3: You know something, and your allegiance to this man is going to get you nowhere, because let me tell you, he's going to prison.
Speaker 7: I didn't.
Speaker 17: I didn't.
Speaker 12: I swear on anything.
Speaker 11: I did not know he got subbed until after we left. I'm not trying to protect him.
Speaker 4: So what did he say after he stabbed him? Because you guys drove away together, he had to up said something.
Speaker 12: He didn't.
Speaker 11: He really didn't, he said, I don't want to think he said anything. He just got in the car. I want the car.
Speaker 2: I didn't know, and I didn't know until ten or so minutes later that he said, I.
Speaker 11: Think I think I stepped someone and someone something along the lines of that. I didn't know, because if I would have known, I would have left.
Speaker 6: That promise detectives confronted Sabro with the harsh reality of her situation, but she continued to resist coming clean. She maintained her efforts to downplay Isaac's behavior and minimize what he had done.
Speaker 7: He died, he's dead, he's gone.
Speaker 2: You know, So.
Speaker 7: You were honest you today.
Speaker 5: See, it's the paramount of what we need now.
Speaker 7: Okay, I spoke to your mother on the time.
Speaker 5: So did I want you to be honest? I'm not.
Speaker 7: You know he's against wim correct. He's been violent before against swimming.
Speaker 5: Correct. He was violent against your own mama.
Speaker 11: Talking about he so, yes, he did push my mom?
Speaker 2: Did what he pushed my mom because he went to court for it.
Speaker 11: He told me earlier that he would never do that to a woman. Correctly, I totally forgot about my mom.
Speaker 10: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 5: I help you get your mom.
Speaker 7: How can you forget about your mom?
Speaker 5: He trying to protect him.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm going to tell you that I talked to his parents and they said that he's an explosive, angry, violent and drunk.
Speaker 4: He is.
Speaker 7: He is.
Speaker 2: He's never been like like aggressive to me. He just he gets aggressive and he'll like he pushes back when she'll.
Speaker 11: He does stupid things when he's drunk. I always the first swim with thought.
Speaker 6: This was another lie. Out of all the detective interviews, was the last one, the very last person to admit that Isaac had a habit of becoming violent when he drank.
Speaker 3: I'm going to tell you right now that my specialty is domestic violence, sexual assault, and crimes against children and the living conditions that your children are in.
Speaker 30: Our crime a deplorable, sickening crime. I'm thirty five years old and I could barely breathe in that house. I went to where you sleep, like, do you think that this is normal, that this is an okay situation? Is this what you want your babies growing up in?
Speaker 27: Definitely not.
Speaker 11: We were trying to save up for an apartment at our house.
Speaker 2: We were just trying to find some somewhere to go on our own because we don't.
Speaker 5: I vaguely am the mess on Isaac and you.
Speaker 3: There's dog feces everywhere there.
Speaker 4: The ammonia in that house is horrible.
Speaker 29: We've made a.
Speaker 4: Referral to have your children emergency.
Speaker 3: I'm going to tell you that the living conditions, the trash.
Speaker 30: The bugs, the cobwebs, the lack of running water.
Speaker 5: That's it's not normal. Your babies are going to get sick.
Speaker 4: And if you care anything about your baby's take to heart what Lieutenant m Night is telling you. I'm gonna tell you know how. I know you're full of shit.
Speaker 3: You went to your mom's, you went to Justin's all before you went back to the house.
Speaker 4: I talked to your mom.
Speaker 18: I did go to the moms.
Speaker 11: I'm totally forgot. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 28: Are you forgetting because you were drunk, or you forgetting because you were high because she doesn't.
Speaker 7: Want to tell us?
Speaker 6: The truth was smacked with more and more evidence that exposed your bullshit, and it just kept coming.
Speaker 4: You told your mommy you were going.
Speaker 5: To come back to the house.
Speaker 3: Of the matter of fact, you said you were going to stop by Isaac's house and you guys.
Speaker 4: Were coming back to the cabin because you were going to get your shit. I don't you texted, You texted a horizon.
Speaker 5: I saw the messages. You said.
Speaker 29: I need my purse, I need my shoes, I need my glasses. If I don't get those things back, somebody, I'm calling the cops.
Speaker 4: Those were your priorities.
Speaker 29: Not hey, my man, sab somebody, how's that kid's condition?
Speaker 7: Not once today have you asked about how he was?
Speaker 18: I had you have no care?
Speaker 4: Oh did you know that he has a ten month old son.
Speaker 5: I didn't name jet.
Speaker 11: I honestly had no clue.
Speaker 5: So now you.
Speaker 4: Left another baby without a parent, just like your kids are.
Speaker 3: Going to be left without their parents because you guys are gonna go sit in PRIs for the next twenty.
Speaker 4: Five years to life for murder.
Speaker 6: When faced with a lengthy prison sentence, the only thing these idiots understand. It seemed like the detectives had finally broken through to Sabra and she agreed to tell the full truth. At least that's what she claimed.
Speaker 24: His time to stop lying and tell us the truth because you're leaving stuff.
Speaker 5: I don't trying to sugarcoat it.
Speaker 7: All we're asking for you to do is the truth. The only thing you have is your word, and you're not telling us.
Speaker 11: The whole truth or a Now, okay, I'll start a promise.
Speaker 7: What did you see about the stabbing.
Speaker 5: And see it?
Speaker 2: And I'm being completely trustful on everything. I didn't see any or get stabbing and see anyone fall to the floor. I didn't see anything.
Speaker 6: When someone says they're being completely truthful, that's a sure sign there not. Sabra continued to insist that she hadn't witnessed the stabbing, and the cell phone footage somewhat supports her claim. Though the video is dark and grainy, it seems to show Sabra distracted, focused on something else and not looking in Isaac's direction when he attacked Charlie. It's possible she didn't realize that stabbing had taken place until after they fled the scene. That said, there is a moment just before the stabbing where Sabra reaches into the center console and it looks as though she may be handing something to Isaac. This raised the question did Sabra provide the murder weapon? Unfortunately, the view of the center console is obstructed, so we're not likely to get an answer to that question in truth. Once Saber agreed to be completely honest, her story didn't change very much. The biggest shift was in how she talked about Isaac. Based with a looming threat of prison time, she suddenly seemed far more willing to throw him under the bus.
Speaker 12: Me and Brito on stairs, we were wanting to go in the hot tub, and I was like, well.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Isaac will freak out or not, because he was He's very you know, he doesn't.
Speaker 11: Like if I'm like in a bathing suit around a bunch of guys.
Speaker 5: He's very jealous, so controlling.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then all of a sudden, I hear people arguing constantly, and I'm like, what the heck is going on?
Speaker 5: So we all run back into.
Speaker 2: The house and it's like it's a big huddle with people, and on time figure out who was arguing.
Speaker 4: And then I realized it was Isaac.
Speaker 11: I didn't know who he was arguing with.
Speaker 2: They were like trying to push him out, and I was like, okay, let's just go, Like, let's just go, and he was sitting He's like, no, just shut the fuck up.
Speaker 12: I'm sitting here with people.
Speaker 11: He was starting cussing out the people. I'm just like, come on, let's go.
Speaker 5: And I was crying.
Speaker 2: I was like, just please, let's go, and he's like, no, fuck this, fuck that, fuck everyone.
Speaker 6: Unlike her first telling, Sabra now admitted that Isaac had been the aggressor at the party. Surprise, surprise, this version of events was far closer to the truth.
Speaker 4: Can you tell you where he stabbed him?
Speaker 11: No, he said that he thought he stabbed him in the arm.
Speaker 5: That's what he said.
Speaker 12: And I was like, okay, Like, did you stab.
Speaker 5: Him anywhere else? I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Do you know that this gentleman was stabbed six times? I did not know that her stab in the jaw right here, in the side of his neck, around his back, twice in his chest, and another one in between his.
Speaker 4: Head and his neck.
Speaker 7: Oh my god.
Speaker 11: He shouldn't have stabbed anybody. It should have been a calm, cool, collected night. This was one night though me and him didn't have any kids.
Speaker 3: And I mean, I know that you guys hardly ever have your kids, because Ginger told me she's raising your kids.
Speaker 4: You guys, go and do however you want, whenever you want. She's stuck with these kids. She's raised all over her own. You know, you guys are going out and drinking and living your lives.
Speaker 5: I'm like, you don't have kids.
Speaker 11: And this made me realize I need to step up and be a better mom.
Speaker 3: I mean, I hate to be the bearer by news, but you're not going to get the opportunity for a long, long time.
Speaker 4: Not only is the steak and I have custy of your children. You're going to jail today.
Speaker 5: Am I really?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 11: But it's true I did.
Speaker 4: If I have my way, you're going. As an accomplished to murder.
Speaker 6: With her updated story on record, this dumb bitch was handcuffed and taken to jail. Next to face off with detectives was her fiance, Isaac Pence.
Speaker 5: You were at a house party.
Speaker 4: Kind of walked me through the events of the evening, well the rest of night.
Speaker 7: It was all completely fun, and so everyone got way too drunk.
Speaker 16: I was standing in the hallway and someone got in my face, so I pushed it on the way and then that's when about fifteen of them all wanted to come outside and tried and Joe me and who got.
Speaker 7: In your face? I'm not even sure who it was.
Speaker 5: Okay, who did you push out of it?
Speaker 7: Away?
Speaker 16: I pushed that person out of the way and they fell into a rest and they tried to say that I pushed her rest because as soon as she got touched, everyone just flipped.
Speaker 7: Because he just started running at me.
Speaker 6: At this point, Isaac was completely unaware of the mountain of evidence that detectives had gathered against him, and he didn't know that Charlie Starner had died, so naturally, Isaac stuck to his lies.
Speaker 16: After I get in my car, they all started trying to rip my door open, and once they got the door open, I just grabbed myne real quick. I was like, get get away, and they weren't listening. So when I tried to put him in the arm.
Speaker 5: Okay, he sat him once in the arm, and what happens after that?
Speaker 7: He kept coming, so set him again.
Speaker 5: So you stab him a second time, and what happens.
Speaker 7: I'm pretty sure that you left.
Speaker 16: I kind of blacked out after I got him at the same time because I sat shit and then I just kind of blacked out.
Speaker 7: I think I just said twice of them left.
Speaker 6: Conveniently, Isaac slipped into the tired excuse of blacking out. Funny how sharp his memory had stayed right up until the point where he stabbed someone to death.
Speaker 5: Take off from there, and where do you go? Oh?
Speaker 27: Think, try that again? No, okay, So it's Justin's house for a second. Okay, then for Justin's house, went at her mom's house.
Speaker 5: Then went well, so I'm gonna tell you. The only thing you have left in this world is your integrity. You know what integrity is?
Speaker 6: Do you know what integrity he is?
Speaker 12: I love that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're honesty, and I'm going to tell you that I have found about forty one.
Speaker 3: Holes already in your story. The last thing I want is your bullshit. Okay, what you did last night is fucked up. You killed somebody. He's dead and did Yeah.
Speaker 5: He died at eight thirty one this morning. The world lost a father.
Speaker 4: He leaves behind a nine and a half month old son named jet Okay.
Speaker 5: A mother and father lost their son.
Speaker 3: A girlfriend lost her boyfriend that she held compression on for several minutes waiting for a medic to get there to try and save his life.
Speaker 4: He died at Grant this morning, and you're facing murder charges.
Speaker 5: He did because you didn't stab him twice.
Speaker 4: You sad him multiple times, way more than twice.
Speaker 5: I'll talk to your mom.
Speaker 3: I know you were a very violent, explosive person. I know you drink almost every weekend. You left her in the care and custody of your two children, Draco and Whaleen, who are thirteen months and four months old.
Speaker 4: Up been inside your bedroom, up been inside your car.
Speaker 5: I've had a very deep conversation with.
Speaker 4: Your girlfriend, your girlfriend's mother, and everyone that was at that cabin. You get one shot at this with me, and that's it. You want to start over, Let's go.
Speaker 6: Detectives hit Isaac with the same reality check they'd given to Sabra. Afterwards, he appeared slightly more willing to tell the truth, but much like Sabra, he couldn't stop trying to minimize his actions.
Speaker 5: How much did you drink that night?
Speaker 16: I think he's drank. It's pol Pagan Miller. I took a couple of shots of Hennessy and a bottle of cream. It's like green cellar apple snops.
Speaker 5: You drank a lot of alcohol.
Speaker 4: No way that you have an explosive personality when you're drunk.
Speaker 14: And if I tell you that, I have literally witness statements written witness statements of you ed pushing a horizon.
Speaker 7: That's what they're trying to say.
Speaker 5: Okay, and you're telling me that that's not true.
Speaker 7: I don't think that I pushed her.
Speaker 4: Is it possible that you could have pushed her and you blacked out? Given me the copious amounts of alcohol you.
Speaker 7: Drank, I could have, but I really I do not believe that I did.
Speaker 5: Do you think it's okay to put your hands off the amounts ever the sisters? Okay? Do you think it'd be okay for your sons to do the same? Would you like it if Dalton shoved sober?
Speaker 6: Now, I remind you this is the same guy that had just recently gotten out of jail for assaulting his baby mom's mother, his children's grandmother, So take that with a grain of something. Isaac claimed that he didn't or couldn't recall shoving Dalton's girlfriend to the ground, which was the act that ignited the whole night's chaos. Unfortunately for him, multiple witnesses, including Dalton's girlfriend, said that he did.
Speaker 10: He pushed you onto the ground inside the cabin.
Speaker 13: Yes, right by the door, two open hands, honey, clearly shot me okay by your chest or yeah, like my shoulders and chest right.
Speaker 6: Here after Isaac shoved Horizon, Dalton understandably exploded with anger, and from there the night spiraled out of control.
Speaker 4: Dalton comes to you.
Speaker 7: And says, what, uh, he was just freaking out. Then he's gonna be my ass and everything.
Speaker 16: And then once he did the anyone else jumped in and there is about five ten people and we went outside and they were all.
Speaker 7: Trying to hit me.
Speaker 5: What if I tell you that I have some mail on this video of them just saying it's time to leave. It's time to leave.
Speaker 7: No, because when we went because that's probably all this is where they're hitting me.
Speaker 3: Well, a scuffle ensues, but they're trying to push you out of the cabin and Sober was telling you it's.
Speaker 5: Time to go.
Speaker 7: Oh, I don't remember it, okay.
Speaker 6: Once again, Isaac's selective memory failed him, but the evidence was clear nobody at the party wanted more violence. Witness after witness confirmed that everyone simply wanted Isaac to leave.
Speaker 18: That in the house, I was.
Speaker 22: Trying to like stop him from fighting and screaming at each other, and we're just trying to get him to leave Isaac, Like everybody was.
Speaker 10: Just telling that kid to leave.
Speaker 6: Surveillance footage from the cabin backed up the witness statements, showing several people dragged Isaac toward his car, trying to get him away from the situation.
Speaker 5: And when you get your car, what happens.
Speaker 7: A knife he's pulling on the door.
Speaker 4: I thing I'll tell you that I have a footprint that tells me they.
Speaker 5: Were trying to close Does this Does this sound familiar? Now we're trying to get back out of the car, you know, one.
Speaker 3: Foot out and or you're trying to push open the door and somebody takes a foot.
Speaker 5: And closes the door.
Speaker 3: I have a footprint to corroborate that, and in the side of your equinox that says they were trying to get you back.
Speaker 5: In the car. Okay, do you remember any of that? At what point do you reach for the knife?
Speaker 7: I'm not completely sure.
Speaker 5: Okay, And you what happens when you grabbed this knife?
Speaker 7: I think just start stabbing him?
Speaker 4: How many times do you think you stabbed him?
Speaker 5: Okay? Did you say anything as you were stabbing him? Couldn't sell you. Did you say anything after you stabbed him?
Speaker 7: I think it's just left.
Speaker 6: Not only did the physical evidence contradict Isaac's claims that he was being attacked but a man the Chapman's cell phone video clearly showed the exact opposite. People were pushing on Isaac's car door trying to shut it. They weren't trying to pull him out. Isaac was the only one looking for a fight, shoving back, trying to force his way out of the car. Tragically, he succeeded with a knife in his hand.
Speaker 5: Because what was your next move when you left that cabin? That's nobody's house, And what did you say when you got there? I don't know what if I tell you.
Speaker 3: That I had your surveillance at his house and I have all the camera footage, and you literally look at Justin and say, I just fucking stab this guy?
Speaker 5: Is that right about? Okay? What do you do with the weapon when you're in there? Because certainly it wasn't.
Speaker 4: In the car or at the scene, like you told the detectives.
Speaker 5: You know exactly where the.
Speaker 4: Murder weapon was the whole time, But you told us the knife.
Speaker 3: Is definitely in the car, It's definitely at the scene the whole time. You sat here, knowing that we were on a wild goose hunt.
Speaker 5: You just didn't think we'd find a knife, did you? No knife, no crime? Is that what you were hoping for?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 6: The fact that Isaac hid the murder weapon became a key piece of the case. It showed a clear consciousness of guilt. Isaac could claim memory loss all he wanted, but his actions and the lies he told afterwards spoke. Volumes are thrown on the bush, quite through it.
Speaker 5: Why would you throw it?
Speaker 4: I don't know, okay, and we're sober.
Speaker 7: It's just a silicer. I think she was marching tiktoks on her phone.
Speaker 5: Washing tiktoks on her phone. No one, her boyfriend just stabbed someone. It's pretty normal behavior, right. I mean, hey, you went home and took a nap like it was just another day in the park for you.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 5: No, I would be able to sleep if I stab somebody.
Speaker 7: I was too drunk and then really remember it when I got home, but not too.
Speaker 4: Drunk to drive, not too drunk to dispose of the murder weapon.
Speaker 5: Jumped to try and cover up your tracks.
Speaker 6: Surveillance footage outside Justin's home captured Isaac ditching the knife in some nearby bushes. Interestingly, Sabra was inside using the restroom when he did this, meaning once again it's very possible Sabra didn't know Isaac had hidden the weapon. This was another lucky break for her. As for Isaac, he wasn't ready for the night to end. After disposing of the knife, he planned to return to the cabin, this time armed with a gun.
Speaker 7: And then I remember going home me and I said, they got into it?
Speaker 5: Why did you guys get into it about?
Speaker 7: I think I was trying to get into the gun safe.
Speaker 5: Why are we trying to hit the gun sick?
Speaker 7: I think to get back there.
Speaker 3: And do well?
Speaker 5: Finished the deal? What else would you do?
Speaker 7: I think it was just to scare them because they wouldn't kill me.
Speaker 28: So you went home and you're rattling the gun safe trying to get into it. You took a hammer to the gun to see, okay.
Speaker 5: And what happens grabby and.
Speaker 7: And we end up getting in a fight over it?
Speaker 5: Did she punched him in the face? The black does left die?
Speaker 3: You know about that?
Speaker 5: You know that you just had a heart attack, and he's raising your kids again. Stabbing somebody wasn't enough. Today He went home and.
Speaker 4: Assaulted an old man on top of all the things you could have done.
Speaker 6: Finally, after stabbing Charlie, hiding the evidence, and assaulting his stepfather, this drunken, dangerous ass clown passed out in his own bed. He woke later that morning to the sound of police knocking at his door.
Speaker 3: So here's the problem with this whole thing is that now? One time today, have you or somebra asked how that kid?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 7: I was thinking about it. I just didn't want to ask.
Speaker 5: Why not?
Speaker 7: I didn't want to hear it. Did you have any inclination? I have a feeling.
Speaker 5: Do you know his name was Charlie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Charlie was just an innocent guy at that party. You never met Charlie before.
Speaker 11: That, did you.
Speaker 4: He grabbed Charlie by the neck, and he didn't stab Charlie two times.
Speaker 3: Stab Charlie six times the side of his neck, right here, on his face, twice in his side.
Speaker 5: Once in his back, and somewhere in between his head and his neck, and you left.
Speaker 4: You left Charlie to lay there and bleed out on the ground.
Speaker 5: Charlie didn't die right away, but Charlie, he coughed it out in a trauma bay.
Speaker 3: He made it in an airplane to a hospital in Columbus, made it through the surgery and then he could put his heart gave out. Ain't know what his kid isn't the only one out of dad, because Draco and Whale and aren't.
Speaker 5: Going to They're not going to have their mom either.
Speaker 3: She went to jail today well, she do complicity to murder because she knew what she didn't do anything about it.
Speaker 6: Isaac and Sabra were charged and booked into jail. Initially both faced murder charges, but eventually Saber's charges were downgraded.
Speaker 17: According to court documents, Isaac Pence has been arrested and charged with murder. His girlfriend, Sabra Flag, is accused of leaving the scene with him and lying to detectives about what happened. She charged with obstructing justice. Pens and Flag were in court this morning and both pled not guilty, the judges keeping them both on a one million dollar bond each.
Speaker 6: Saber later accepted a plea deal. She served just six months in prison for obstructing justice, and as far as anyone knows, she's now a free woman. As for Isaac, he took his case to trial and he lost. He was convicted of murder and a long list of related charges. His sentence was eighteen years to life. In my humble and ultimately meaningless opinion, that's far too lenient. Isaac could be a relatively young man if he walks out of prison one day, this time as a felon and a convicted murderer. What happens next time he picks up a drink. Whose life will he destroy then? And what judge will completely skirt responsibility for letting him out. That's frustrating is Isaac's sentences. There is another detail that makes this case even harder to stomach. Isaac and Charlie didn't even know each other. They were complete strangers. Charlie died because he happened to be standing in the wrong place at the wrong time, at the hands of a violent man that he had never met. That's how easy it is, folks. That's how quickly it can all end.
Speaker 10: And how did Charlie get involved in this hole?
Speaker 13: He was literally just standing right there as far as I know, he was standing right.
Speaker 12: There by the porch.
Speaker 10: And so Charlie and him had no beasts prior to this.
Speaker 12: You know, I don't even think they talked, Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 10: So he just kind of was the unlucky, yeah, victim in all of us.
Speaker 6: Charlie Starter was just twenty two years old. He was a young father, soon to be husband, and by every account, a good man who loved his family and friends fiercely. His future was full of promise, but all of a sudden it was stolen in an instant when he tried to do what good people so often do. He stepped in, hoping to calm a situation before it got worse. Charlie wasn't reckless, he wasn't looking for a fight. He was trying to protect and he was trying to help, and that one moment of courage cost him everything. The unfortunate truth is that sometimes the safest choice and the smartest way to protect yourself is to step back when danger bears its teeth. But this case isn't a warning against being brave or helpful, of being a good Samaritan. It's simply a brutal reminder that evil doesn't need a reason to destroy what's good. And you never know what someone else is capable of, or how quickly a night of drinking and partying can spiral into something deadly. Sometimes all it takes is being in the wrong place, facing the wrong person at the wrong time. You know that time when you're done recording an episode of swords Gilts, fresh off the presses, you're ready to put it out, but you just know, you just know, deep down inside, that some fat monstrosity with a septum ring and clown hair is going to accuse you of being a misogynist simply because you called a dumb bitch dumb. Well, you see here, maybe I am a misogynist. Maybe I am. Maybe if being a feminist means you side with someone just because they have a pair of tits like you do despite not having a brain, or I don't know, morals means what you got to stick together? Girls, just remember this little lesson we've hammered into your brain over and over and over again. Beware of the company you keep. If you side with idiots with loose morals, then maybe that's exactly who you are too. But who am I other than just a dumb male kind of like the other idiot in this story, which I don't side with at all because I'm not a maleist or whatever they're called. Because having a brain is more important than having a dick. See how that works, nah, you from Ohio to