Speaker 1: Hi, Dave Fraser, Hey, good afternoon, and a happy birthday to Chuck.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I've never met your husband. I feel like most of your listeners, you talk about him enough that we feel like we know him.
Speaker 2: So our birthday, Chuck, I will send those messages along to him and Dave.
Speaker 1: Right out of the choot.
Speaker 2: We have a question, but it relates to the heat that we're having right now. A Texter jumped the gun and texted Ross Kaminski on the show today to ask, why is most of Weld County outside the heat map warning on your broadcast? Because it makes it look weird because the foothills are in it and Weld County is not in it. Why did Weld County get left out?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So, you know the National Weather Service when they issue advisories like this and either issue it for an entire county or they have zones and they try and target the areas that best fit where the message should be and put the message today, it's about the potential that we could get anywhere from ninety nine to like one hundred and one degrees. It be the first time this year if the censor at the airport reaches one hundred we've been ninety eight ninety nine that's been the warmer so far. That was actually on the first day of summer, was the ninety nine you're joining us. It has to do with basically where the heat will be retained, Mandy, and we've talked about this. If you look at that map, you'll see that all of Metro Denver is in it, but communities south of there over the Palmer Divide are not. And it has to do with the heat island where the heat will be retained a little longer through the day. And obviously you think about the buildings, the concrete, all the asphalt, that kind of stuff that retains the heat and makes it tough for it to cool off even with the setting sun for a few hours. And parts of the Front Range includes the foothills, and there is a wedge in north and northwestern Weld County where the wind direction out of the northwest has got a little bit of a downsloping component to it. It may hold the temperatures they are up. As you move east of I twenty five into Weld County, it becomes a little more rural and you don't have that kind of city environment over wide areas, and so they don't bake as much as you would find in the metro area. And like I said, the wind component, the wind component kind of keeps the foothills in there. But once you get east of the bottom of the foothills, that wind component, that heating that downsloping just doesn't exist there. And so the threshold is a little lower that the heat or the fields like temperature will reach, you know, one hundred degrees. And by the way, on a side note, because of our dry climate, the heat index, which is a measurement of what it feels like outside, is always about five degrees lower than the air temperature. So if the temperature the temperature right now at DIA is ninety six, but it says it feels like ninety one. Now you're going to go outside and say it's blazing hot, dad, because you're in the direct sunlight. But we just don't have the humidity. And we all know the mechanics of sweating. When you sweat in a human environment, the moisture is not removed from your body, and it causes your body to heat more. When you're in a dry environment and you sweat, that moisture evaporates, and evaporation is a cooling process, and it helps to cool your body just a little bit. So even though the air temperature is one thing that feels like temperature is lower in this type of situation. So when you're.
Speaker 2: Offering a heat advisory, does it have to be it's going over one hundred? Feels like because I got this text Mandy, I live in Weld County and I'm actually outside right now and it's one hundred degrees. We should have had a heat advisory. So what kicks in that heat? What's the threshold?
Speaker 1: It's basically, here's the thing, and this is kind of opening up Tandeller's box. It's not related to the heat index. It is related to the air temperature. It's related to it's related to stagnant air, lack of wind, the fact that you know, we don't reach one hundred degrees all that often here in Denver. It hasn't happened a lot. You know, there are years where we never get to one hundred degrees during the summer. And so the argument is there's a subjective nature to when to trigger when to not, and he's in the environment we're in today's it's just a heads up if you will that if you're going to be outside for prolonged periods today, you've got to take breaks. You've got to find shade, you've got to stay hydrated, wear loose, light colored clothing. And that goes to the workers who are out about making sure that they're taking breaks, because it is at a point where, you know, you don't want somebody to overexert themselves and become, you know, sick with heat illness. Right, so we're you know, there's kind of a threshold there, but you could argue that like it's one hundred and five and two soon or one hundred and eighty two soon, and so the people living there are the same as people living here. It's just a matter of are you used to it? And that's the argument that is played into this. So exactly, it's a little bit of there's a little bit of wiggle room as to you know, hey, we don't get that hot that often. Maybe we should just keep binkle of heads up.
Speaker 2: Well, Dave roz Kaminski's in the studio with me, and he's got a weather question for you.
Speaker 1: Hi, David sure Russ, Hey, I want to follow up on.
Speaker 3: Something you just said. So well, you know, I've got a sister in law who lives in Phoenix, and it's one hundred and eighteen or something else, and you, Dave, you just talked about getting used to it, and I was wondering, do bodies actually get used to it? Or is it sort of a psychological thing. I've been through it enough and it doesn't bother me.
Speaker 1: Die.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I didn't die.
Speaker 1: I'm still here.
Speaker 3: It is fine. Or does over time do people's bodies really react differently?
Speaker 1: So maybe you live somewhere hut for a.
Speaker 3: While and your body doesn't react until ninety five degrees, when somebody else's body would react the same way at ninety degrees.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll answer this. I'll give you an example, and it ties right into your question about your family member down in Phoenix. So I my wife's family lives in the Phoenix and Tucson area. My son moved to Tucson a little more than three years ago to attend the University of Arizona, and he lives down there. My son grew up here. My son grew up in winters. He loves skiing, he loves Colorado's climate. He's been back to visit us sometimes in the fallen complain it feels too cold and we look at them like you're crazy, and herst Yeah. Her sisters will come up to visit, and my wife is is I don't want to say cheap, but she's little singy on the thermometer. Like we during the winter, our our thermostad in the house during the winter is sixty four and during the summer the eighth doesn't kick on till eighty. Oh we will in your house. Yeah, but when our family members from Phoenix come up, I do rocks think that they get acclimated to it and they know how to deal with that kind of heat. Because my sister will all come up and you know that heat won't kick onto sixty four. She's walking around in a shawl like she's said, you know, die of prostite.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious. Let me ask you this, Let me ask you this question. I got some good questions before you even came on today, so I want to get these in. Hey, Mandy, question for Dave June seventeenth, A tornado touched down in oh dag Navity just updated. A tornado touchdown near Divide, Colorado. Historically, it's been extremely rare for this to occur. Sow near the mountains and idea why that happened.
Speaker 1: It's a thunderstorm that had an up draft on it. I saw the pictures. It does happen. It is rare. It is odd because the atmosphere there is not as tall as it is down over the east eastern plane. You know, you want the photostorm to stretch out and to grow vertically to get kind of that strength to be able to create a tornado. But there is what we call low top convection that can do that, and we have seen evidence of that. There's been many instances of tornadoes being spotted in around Pike's Peak because of the wind direction and the storm's coming up over that higher terrain as they come up the backside near Divide and those areas. So it can happen, and it has happened.
Speaker 2: So what are we looking at in terms of how many days of oppressive heat do we have? And as I was driving to work today, I was looking around. Everything is still really green right now, which is nice because I don't have to worry about you know, super like aust the chards, fire danger. But what are we looking at for the next few days and when will we get a little bit of a reprieve.
Speaker 1: The little replieve comes tomorrow. Our forecast is in the low nineties. There will be more clouds than there is about a twenty to thirty percent chance of scattered storms in the afternoon. Now like the last few days where we had some microverse damage with trees down across the area, especially in Centennial, that's attributed to quickly rising and drying thunderstorms to collapse and throw a gust of wind at the ground that hits a localized area and blasts out in a kind of a circular direction, it can cause damage. We've seen that. I would say that dusty wind tomorrow could be possible with the storm, but because of the cloud cover will be down to about ninety two to ninety three. Then Friday has a better chance of rain. We're in the low eighties Friday, Saturday back to ninety ninety one. Sunday, Monday dry, and then back to low eighties again with more rain coming on Wednesday and Thursday of next week. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of next week. So the green you're seeing out there, we are getting intervals of rain at the right time after bouts of hot weather. I love the mixture it's perfect is and you.
Speaker 3: Know we can.
Speaker 2: All I can say is, Dave, it's not Japan hot and a humid So whatever we're dealing with, I can take it.
Speaker 1: I'm ready.
Speaker 2: Put me in coach. I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: Yep, Dave Fraser.
Speaker 2: Last question from our texter. By the way, I have several Texters who are are very upset about your wife not kicking the air on until eighty I believe we're going to start a GoFundMe to provide the Fraser household with air conditioning at a more civilized temperature. But well, last question ask Dave, who makes the decision feels like a person from Anchorage or Saudi Arabia, And I think that kind of goes to what you're talking about. Depending on where you're from, depends.
Speaker 1: On what it feels like. Yeah, it's Ross, It's you know, it's the same thing Ross pointed out. It's arbitrary. If you're used to a certain climate and a certain way of things, you do kind of acclimate to that environment, and then when you move it takes a little while. My son's a perfect example. He should be able to stand cold windshills below zero, but he comes up here during the winter. Now after living in Arizona Promost four years and he complains about it being cold. We're like to go back to Arizona. Yep, there you go, Dave Fraser.
Speaker 2: I'll talk to you again soon, my friend. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I like