Speaker 1: In August of nineteen ninety six, twenty year old Michael Madden packed his car early, left a note for his family, and he and his dog set off towards the forest. Only one of them would return. I'm Danielle, I'm Megan, and this is off the trails.
Speaker 2: I woke up this morning.
Speaker 1: Everything was icy, and it's April twentieth, cut and done with that.
Speaker 3: Oh I bet I just.
Speaker 1: Brought out blankets to cover the bees, cover the plants, all those things.
Speaker 3: It's going to be in the twenties again tonight. So you got a nice little taste of spring weather. And then it said, oh, hold on, we're not completely done with winter yet.
Speaker 1: I truly fell for false spring this year because maybe we can happen ago. I turned back on the outside water so that I could use it to fill the duck pool and all that.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't realize it was going to be freezing.
Speaker 1: And now, of course I have a little crack in my outside pipe with little leaks. Now it's been turned off again, looking forward to fixing that plumbing issue.
Speaker 2: That's not great. Frozen all right.
Speaker 1: So before we get into today's story, if you want to do like a little location profile. The Stantuslast National Forests, which I think we have traveled here before, covers nearly a million acres of the central Sierra Nevada Mountains in California. Areas in this forest can be very remote, with dense pine forest, granite outcroppings, and rivers cold enough to make you suver any time of year.
Speaker 3: I mean, if waters below like eighty five degrees or shivering, You're like, if it is not a hot shower, it is too cold. We have obviously the springs here that'll always stay around like seventy two degrees year round, and I mean granted on a very very hot day it is refreshing, but it still bites because it's just cold. It's crisp and cold.
Speaker 2: Over the winter.
Speaker 1: Again, going back to frozen pipes, my shower had the hot water pipe frozen, and I like felt the cold water and I was like, yeah, that's cold, but I could take a real quick shower in that until you put your body in it. And I was like, this is the worst decision I've ever made. But now I got to commit to it because I got.
Speaker 2: To my hair is partially wet. I just got to get through it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I commend those people who take cold showers or turn their shower cold at the end of it before they get out. I've tried it before, but I don't think I'm keeping it cold long enough. But you know, a for effort.
Speaker 1: Maybe next year. No, I don't even want to try. It's not even worth it to me. I don't want to be that person. All right, But we're going to be going to sand Bar Flat, which is a campground in this forest that sits along the Santa Slaus River. This campground is remote, but it's not totally inaccessible.
Speaker 2: You can get there by road.
Speaker 1: It sounds like there's a lot of switchbacks, and clearly it's not paved.
Speaker 2: I read some reviews and people were.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I wouldn't take just any old vehicle out there unless you want your suspension wrecked and scratches and dents and all kinds of mayhem.
Speaker 2: But you can drive out there if you choose to.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's nice because people who want to go out there can get out there without having to be dropped by a bush plane. But it still is off the veient path and definitely remote, and of course self service is essentially non existent. What you're out there. Today's story takes place in nineteen ninety six. I don't think anybody probably had cell phones, so kind of a moot point, but that's okay. In the summer of nineteen ninety six, this was a place that you would expect to find Michael Madden. He was a student at Humboldt State University, and I saw that he was studying something in the biology field, and he was hoping to go on to become a forest ranger at some point.
Speaker 2: That was his ultimate goal.
Speaker 1: The woods and the outdoors weren't just an interest for him. I bet they were his home away from home, if not his real first home. Right on the morning of August tenth, he left his family's home, likely around five am. He didn't wake anybody up. He left a note for his mom telling her where he was going. I would assume that if he was living or staying with his family, they probably already knew that he was going away. I would hope not just like, oh, here's a note, I'm be gone the next seven days.
Speaker 3: Well, especially if it sounds like he took a dog with him, if it's a family dog or even just a dog that's living at that house, you're like, Okay, is that dog also going to be gone for seven?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Right, right?
Speaker 1: I just thought it was funny that all the sources were like, he left a note, but I was like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: His mom probably knew. Note was maybe like just a follow up. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: He tossed his gear into his Chevy Cavalier, which I looked that car up because I don't really know what that looks like, and that is the quintessential nineties vehicle for like teenagers in early twenties.
Speaker 3: I had one, did you? Yeah? I had one two thousand and five. It was my first Carkay.
Speaker 2: But was it an older one?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yeah, I loved her.
Speaker 2: What was her name?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Oh, all right, some people name their cars, but like that car through it and she took it. So yeah, that's why I'm sure he felt comfortable taking his and going out to this location.
Speaker 1: Mike and his dog Matilda were on the road wickiq Or on the road before the sun was even fully up. He was heading to Sandbar Flat and some friends would be meeting him there in a day or so. Mike wanted to get a head start to set up camp spend some quiet time alone and probably try and get some fishing in This area is said to be a really good fishing spot. Mike and his dad had camped and fished in the area at least several times, if not lots of times before, and I'm not sure if they always stayed at that same campground, But either way, he was going somewhere where he wasn't in unfamiliar terrain, right, he definitely had experience and familiarity with this place. On August twelfth, his friends arrived at the campground just after two in the morning, which is definitely not an ideal time of night to be driving through the woods. But thinking back to going anywhere with a group in later teens early twenties, I feel like that is just the way it goes, because somebody always has to work late. They forgot to ask a Friday night off, so they had to work till ten o'clock, and then you have to jenga everybody's gear because they probably didn't pack in advance, so it was like scramble at the end of the night, get in the car, drive a couple hours.
Speaker 3: Did you mean Tetris?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: When I say Jena, yeah, I mean I still like that, but taking it out is like Jenda.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, packing it like Tetris, trying to unload it like Jenga.
Speaker 1: Yup, and they figured, since Mike had already gotten a head start, at least the camp would be somewhat situated and they could roll in and then set up whatever else need to be done in the morning. They made their way to the spot, but when they got there, Mike wasn't there. They looked around and it was very apparent that Matilda wasn't around either.
Speaker 3: Which if they had, if they had shown up during the day or just more reasonable hours, I could see that being less concerning because oh, he could just be venturing out somewhere in the area, but showing up at two am, he should be there.
Speaker 1: And they knew this was the right spot because there was a freshly made fire and they did identify year at the site as belonging to Mike, and the fire was fresh enough that it seemed like someone had likely recently been sitting there, not long before they arrived.
Speaker 3: Okay, so there was remnants of a freshly put out fire, there was some gear there, but Mike, Matilda, and the car were currently gone.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing. About the car.
Speaker 1: None of the sources specifically mention the vehicle detail, which is huge to me. If the car is still of the campsite when the friends arrive, that would have ruled out the idea that Mike was nearby. But if it wasn't there, that opens a whole other set of questions. All of the sources that I saw, they consistently said there was a freshly made fire and Mike's gear there, which is just so weird. Yeah, the car and license plate weren't listed on any of the missing Persons sites, so I have to assume based on that the vehicle was accounted for, whether it was at the campsite that night or found shortly thereafter, because in other cases we've covered where people have just disappeared, their vehicles are listed along their license plate. So I think if the car wasn't accounted for, it would be mentioned. But yeah, but it's not really spelled out in anything that I saw, whether it was there or not there, which would have been really helpful to know. If the car was there, I would say their car was still here, versus like, oh, I see they're cooler in their backpacker here, right, So I just thought that was kind of a strange detail or lack of detail. As the friends were starting to wonder where Mike, like really wonder where Mike was, and they were probably unloading some of their gear, just kind of assessing the situation. A man walks out of the woods, just emerging from the darkness, and if that's not creepy enough, he was also carrying a forty five automatic pistol.
Speaker 3: Super suspicious.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, yep.
Speaker 1: I mean, a stranger lurking at the edge of the woods in the middle of the night is pretty concerning in its own right.
Speaker 2: But then to be like, hey, I also have a gun.
Speaker 3: Great, and it's right near where your friend is supposed to be set up for camp and they're missing, and all of that together just probably doesn't sit well.
Speaker 1: No, very uncomfortable. The first thing this guy says to Mike's friends was are you looking for Mikey? And that immediately felt weird to his friends because Mike never went by Mikey. That wasn't his nickname. His friends had never heard anybody refer.
Speaker 2: To him as Mikey. He was Michael or Mike. That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I call my brother Mikey when I'm trying to be irritating, but nobody else calls him that.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 3: Well, if I showed up to a campsite that you're supposed to be at and some man comes out of the woods with a gun and says you look him for Danny, I'd be like, uh.
Speaker 2: Who excuse you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this whole situation is so weird. For the next six hours, while Mike's friends were waiting at the campsite hoping that Mike was going to return, this guy, who was later identified as Joseph Tyne, was just hanging out throughout those six hours. He was just hanging out. He repeatedly was cocking the gun. He never pointed at anybody, he never fired it, just casually cocking his gun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, weird.
Speaker 1: I don't know any setting where that would be not unsettling because it's like it's like, okay, like if.
Speaker 2: We were sitting around like daylight of the campfire, No, it's still be weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Mike's friends also noticed that it looked like this guy appeared to be wearing Mike's boots.
Speaker 3: So many things are just not yeah giving me good like feelings about this now.
Speaker 1: They would later report that detail to the police when they would ultimately report Mike missing in the daylight hours, but it was never confirmed if the boots the man was wearing belonged to Mike or not, which okay, what if they're just tan.
Speaker 2: Like kind of like work boot style like Timberlain.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, like a very like common or popular type of boot, or just a very kind of generic type of boot.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm sure you can picture winter ll Bean boots right those look like I mean, tons of other brands have boots that look just like that, and tons of people have probably even the same brand. But still, it was unnerving enough that they noted it. I find it very strange. But there were no additional details about what transpired that night while everyone just sat around in the darkness, while Mike was Mia and this stranger Joseph played with his gun and hung around uninvited, Like, I need to know what was going on? Did they ask him to leave and he didn't? Did they just hope that he would leave? Did they have campfire chats to get to know each other? Like, what was happening? That's a long time.
Speaker 3: It is a long time. And the fact that he referred to him as Mikey I would be grilling him on other details to be like, was that just did they meet each other in passing so he just caught his name in that way, or did he actually encounter my friend and has more information and knows more about him, And do I need to get out of here and report this.
Speaker 1: I'm unsure if the friends were just because he had a gun, just very uncomfortable and they didn't want.
Speaker 2: To push this guy, which I think is fair. You know, did somebody like say like, oh, so tired, we should turn in and he was like, no, We're staying up. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I want more information about this whole situation, the social setting. I want to know about the uncomfortable trying to get somebody to leave without asking them to leave.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want to be a fly on the wall of this hole of how this all unfolded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's reported missing?
Speaker 1: The Sheriff's apartment responded with a search and rescue team or several search and rescue teams. They brought in divers, they brought in dogs, but despite an extensive search, nothing was found, not even any footprints that could have told them which direction Mike could have gone in.
Speaker 2: There was nothing to indicate what could have happened.
Speaker 1: Four days after Mike disappeared, Matilda returned to the campsite. She was definitely dehydrated, and it sounds like she was kind of out of sorts. I saw her described as disoriented, which I was trying to decide if a dog can really be disoriented, But I guess yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's impressive that she made it back to this campsite. I mean, we don't know where she was. I assume we're not privy to that at least yet. But she could only be so disoriented if she was able to find her way back to where she was. But if she's dehydrated, if she's emaciated, and if she saw something happen to her owner, and she's coming back sort of acting restless or agitated or just something that seems out of character, maybe that's what it's referring to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's kind of how I interpreted it because I'm like, Okay, well, if she made it back to camp, she was pretty well oriented in my opinion, but out of sorts or distressed, Yeah, I think those words probably make more sense. Yeah, of course, searchers were hoping that she could lead them back to wherever mic was, and they tried to get her to do that, but there's no luck. The dog had returned, but Mike didn't. She had survived whatever happened and made it back to camp on her own. I know a lot of people would love to be able to communicate with animals, just to have a chat with them, but I'm sure in these situations it must be so frustrating to have a witness to whatever happened. Whether it was an accident or Mike did leave on his own, we have no idea, but it would be great if his dog could share what happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There are also accounts from Mike's brother suggesting that there was at least one witness who reported that Mike was actually seen at a cabin near Pinecrest, not Sandbar Flat, on the day he disappeared. That wasn't ever proven, but if that is true, it means whatever happened may not have started at the campsite, which means the point of origin for the search may have been off. I'm not really sure what the distance between this cabin and the campsite would have been, but in a search like that, not having the correct starting point obviously can make a big difference. Right, Nine months after Mike vanished, investigators gave Joseph Tyne a polygraph. The results were never made public, and he was never charged in connection with Mike's disappearance. So presumably, I don't know, you can't really get anything just because just because you fail a polygraph doesn't mean they have any additional they have any evidence against you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then like I go back to the boots. Of course, you can't just hijack someone's boots just because they look like someone you know, like, but it I'd be interested if they had been able to DNA test those boots that he was wearing, if they would have had Mike's DNA on them, you.
Speaker 2: Know, or even just check the size, right.
Speaker 3: Like anything to officially be able to rule them out as belonging to him or not. Right.
Speaker 1: Records indicated that his gun was checked and no shells had been spent at the time of Mike's disappearance, although I don't know how that could be proven because couldn't he have just reloaded.
Speaker 3: I think there's probably more trace evidence with a firearm where they'd be able to see.
Speaker 1: They didn't say, there was no mention of them doing any GSR testing, which which I would think would be more relevant to has this gun been recently fired than do or all the bullets accounted for, because somebody could reload.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But also if there was an encounter between him and Mike and there was foul play involved, he could have even just used that gun as intimidation, yeah, to get Mike to do what he wanted him to do, without needing to actually fire any rounds.
Speaker 2: After no new.
Speaker 1: Information came to light, investigators did ultimately say that they believed that Mike was the victim of foul play and likely dead. Investigators have never closed the case, but without any new information, the case went cold. Since his disappearance, few distinct theories have emerged online and elsewhere about what may have happened to Mike. The first one, obviously being Joseph Tyne, is probably the biggest, most discussed theory for good reason. A man appears in the middle of the night when your friend happens to be missing from where they should be. This guy has a gun, using a nickname very close to your missing friend's name, and possibly wearing the missing person's boots, and then spend six hours uncomfortably hanging around.
Speaker 2: I do say that's that's a weird situation. Yeah, that's suspicious, and rightfully so.
Speaker 1: That's not behavior that would be typical of someone who just stumbled onto the wrong campsite.
Speaker 3: Well, also, if someone just came out of the woodworks like that and your friend is missing, wouldn't you want to be out looking for him? And would that person join in and be like, oh, I mean, I can help you look for your friend. I give a little bit of inside like I didn't see him, I've been out here since whatever time, or I did see him, but that was like five hours ago and I saw walking in this direction, or as you said, I'm so curious what happened in those six hours.
Speaker 1: Right, because I would likely want to continue looking for my friend or calling for my friend. And I do wonder if perhaps prior to Joseph emerging from the woods, if they were calling out for Mike or calling for Matilda even and did he hear the people calling and did he misshear Michael or Mike or Matilda and get mikey.
Speaker 2: Out of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but again, like I don't know, there's just there's just not enough information. It's very weird because even if you were like, oh, hey, you sound like you're distressed. I hear you calling for someone, Then what are you gonna help them?
Speaker 2: Or are you just gonna lurk?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Investigators clearly felt that this behavior was suspicious enough to administer a polygraph test, but again there were were never released, so we really have no idea if that works for or against him, right, and the absence of spent shells in his gun doesn't.
Speaker 2: Really clear him.
Speaker 1: It just means if something did happen, it may not have involved a gun. Like you said, he may have just used it for coercion versus utilizing it as using it like a gun.
Speaker 2: I guess I didn't see.
Speaker 1: A description or a physical description of Joseph, but Mike wasn't a small guy. He was around six to one two hundred pounds, so the presence of a gun can obviously make a size difference disappear if you are the smaller person with a weapon.
Speaker 3: So how busy was this campground? Was it an established campground? Was it like a kind of more primitive or dispersed camp site or campground?
Speaker 2: So at least currently it's one.
Speaker 1: Of those first come, first serve I think it's like, I don't know, really cheap, like twelve dollars or something really really inexpensive.
Speaker 2: I think it is on the smaller side.
Speaker 1: But I didn't see any indication as to how busy it was this particular night. I did see people in the last few years talking about how the weekends now are really busy and suggesting like go during the week if you want to avoid people, But I don't know in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 3: Was that the same situation, right, Okay, so yeah, I was curious if there were other campers out there that night as well who had seen anything or heard anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a pretty basic campground.
Speaker 1: I think there is water on site and outhouses, but there's not. I didn't see anything about like running showers or any other amenities.
Speaker 2: Just very big.
Speaker 1: Okay, Obviously it is possible that Mike had an accident of some kind. Santaslav's National Forest is very rugged. It has that river cut terrain, and that river runs cold and fast. We know how easy it can be to slip on any type of wet rock, and it can be very difficult to self rescue once someone's in the water. Several people even noted in their Yelp reviews of this campground that they felt that this was not a campground for families with kids. Somebody else even noted that dogs should be kept on a leash because of how dangerous this river was. So or is oh, I think this is the first time that I've read a review of a campground and had people say make sure your dog's on a leash, or don't bring your dog and just don't bring your kids.
Speaker 3: Yikes. Yeah, that's pretty telling as to like you said, dangerous, it could potentially be.
Speaker 1: It's also mentioned that the access road to the campground is a very tough drive and shouldn't be attempted at night, which I found interesting because we know Mike's friends arrived in the middle of the nite, and even without the river, this forest is definitely big enough that search teams evel with dogs could have missed something. Sources indicated the search was extensive, but there were very few details available about the search itself, so it's really hard to say if it was well executed or really was extensive because there was just no details. A lot of times we hear the search was X amount of days, and this many agencies and this many people but I didn't have any stats like that on this case.
Speaker 2: Okay, they were like, we did a good job. Trust us.
Speaker 3: You don't need more than that.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying they didn't do a good job, but there was just no additional information to make me agree that it was a good job.
Speaker 3: Well, sometimes you'll go on to different agency sites, whether they're sharing on social media, whether it's news headlines that are keeping up with the status of a search or progress of a search, or even like the National Park Service, they'll update their bulletins if there's an active search going on, and so you actually get those details where they'll talk about the different agencies that were involved, the weather that they were dealing with, the times that it started. Like, they can get really detail oriented, which adds a lot of helpful context to these missing persons cases. And so when you come across one like this where they're just like, yeah, we searched, You're like, okay, but can you give more right?
Speaker 2: And I do wonder.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously nineteen ninety six was pre social media, but.
Speaker 2: I do wonder.
Speaker 1: The statistics are that the majority of missing people are found within twenty four hours, and then even more are found within the first forty eight hours in these situations. So I do wonder if it was one of those situations where they're like, oh, we'll find them, we'll find them, and they weren't expecting to have to.
Speaker 2: Report to the media or do anything of that nature.
Speaker 1: And I think now people kind of gather more information expecting to have to share it or wanting to share it at some point, but maybe that just wasn't the case here. They were like, you know what, We're gonna find this guy in a couple hours and that's going to be it.
Speaker 2: So there's plenty.
Speaker 1: Of situations where this could have been an unfortunate accident that Mike just befel, some sort of misadventure.
Speaker 2: But the problem with that is Joseph Time.
Speaker 1: You can explain a ray, explain away pretty much everything else.
Speaker 2: But for us to believe that it.
Speaker 1: Was just an accident, we would have to then assume that Joseph Time coming out of the woods at Mike's campsite is just a coincidence.
Speaker 3: And also where did he come from, because if this is a remote area, you know, did he have a campsite set up somewhere? Was he just lurking in the woods looking for a crime of opportunity, just hoping that he'd come across someone who he felt comfortable overtaking. It's just so it's almost such like a bizarre circumstance. To try to make sense.
Speaker 1: Of this situation is just so very strange, because if you did just commit a crime, I don't know that you would be inclined to then hang around with the victim's friends or associates for the night, true.
Speaker 3: To then think about the people who commit a crime and then you see them like in the background of like the uh press releases and stuff, and they're like, yeah, that's that's my work. There are weirdos like that who do that. And so if he had done something, if he had he had something to do with what happened to Mike, and whether he intentionally came across the friends or not, then he's just sitting there kind of in a sick way, knowing that their friend is maybe dead somewhere, and he's just like besing with them at the campsite. Yeah, it's very more.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, do you guys have any s'mores? That sounds great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a very like twisted mentality. But there are some there are some weirdos out there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I also wondered if, potentially.
Speaker 4: If he was on housed and he was just living out in the woods, and perhaps there was some sort of mental health situation that was why he was out in the woods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that would he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Explain the hanging out for six hours, but.
Speaker 2: You know, if there was.
Speaker 1: Something undiagnosed or it could have been diagnosed going on, that would explain perhaps him not having any awareness that this was like a very weird and uncomfortable situation and you should leave right. But again, there was no details other than him cocking the gun and just hanging out. There was no description of his behavior or what they talked about, or his mannerisms or anything like that. Then there's the cabin near Pinecrest, which Mike's brother had said that a witness reported seeing Mike there at that cabin, And if that's accurate, we have a whole new set of questions. Who was at that cabin because Mike hadn't booked a cabin, Did Mike know who was there? Was he just in the area, did he encounter someone before getting back to the campsite. Did something happen at this other location, and police didn't know about it, so they weren't able to fully investigate.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Yeah, yeah, a lot of questions.
Speaker 1: Another theory is that of known killer Carrie Stainer. He operated in this general area of California for the years before he was arrested in nineteen ninety nine, so he obviously his crimes were committed prior to that.
Speaker 2: I think he killed four people in Yosemite area, and.
Speaker 1: Investigators did look at a possible connection to Mike's case and several other unsolved disappearances and deaths in this area at this time. Both the geography and the timelines overlap, but there weren't any other connections to Mike's case, and the FBI agent who had taken the confession says that he didn't believe that Stayner had killed any more people than he had confessed to.
Speaker 2: Okay, And it's always interesting.
Speaker 1: Obviously this FBI agent or whoever probably had to develop some sort of relationship with this person.
Speaker 2: But it's always interesting when.
Speaker 1: They're like no, no, Like I know he's a killer and he lied to us before, but I believe him now.
Speaker 3: But I'm going to take his word for this.
Speaker 1: But I also I kind of feel like you do get a sense of when you're being lied to or when someone's telling the truth. And at some point, if you're going to jail for killing four people, admitting to killing additional victims is probably not going to change the outcome of your prison sentence, right. That's just my thought.
Speaker 3: But sometimes they like to play that power trip with authorities as well, because they're like, I do have information on more, but I'm not going to give it to you, And what are you going to do about it? I'm already going to prison. You can't beat it out of me. So I'm sitting here on this information that you guys would do anything to get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true, man, there's some crazy people out there.
Speaker 3: There are.
Speaker 1: With many missing details and the contradictory witness statements, this was a really tough case for me to come up with what I personally think happened.
Speaker 2: Do you have a gut feeling at all?
Speaker 3: I don't want to make the bold assumption that this guy had anything. What was his first name again, Joseph, Joseph, we could call it.
Speaker 2: I should have called him Joey. I don't know if he went by Joey, But Mike didn't go by Mikey, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, come up with your own nickname for him. So I don't want to just assume the worst, like he had something to do with what happened to Mike, but you'd also like to I mean, even when there's no other party involved. Obviously, people go hiking or camping and are never seen again and there's no trace of them. I'd love to know the status of the vehicle. I'd love to know the search radius, you know, the thoroughness of the search. Did he go for like a little daytime hike or walk about with Matilda waiting because he knew his friends were going to get there that night, but then something happened, and then it was just pure coincidence that Joseph comes out of the woods near the campsite after he's not returned. I don't know, there's just like there's a lot to speculate on, and you know, I'm hesitant to to lean into that, but it's it's.
Speaker 1: Very preceling, and it's it wouldn't be super unusual for someone to be carrying a gun in a very remote area like this. But when I think of people carrying a gun, I don't mean like carrying it in their hand like it is in a holster on their purse. That's a very different vibe than oh yeah, I'm just going to carry this in my hand.
Speaker 3: In my want at least, yeah, I want to know where Joseph came from, Like where had he been to find his way to this campsite. I'm curious about that, like if they were ever able to confirm that with him, Like, Hey, you kind of came out of the woods and that's fine, but where were you coming from and where are you staying? And if you were just walking through the woods at two am, why did you only have a gun and not gear that would help you navigate the woods at night. There's just it's a little a little suspicious.
Speaker 2: I had that same thought.
Speaker 1: Like five minutes before we sat down to your record, I searched just his name California, So I'm like, what's his story? Did he have any type of criminal history before?
Speaker 2: Did he after this incident?
Speaker 1: You know, I was trying to find more about him, and I didn't really get a whole lot more about him, but I did come across an article that I quickly read through, and this article gives a totally different account of first of all, how the friends ended up at the campsite. This article says that it was a surprise visit, that the friends are like out looking for meteors and they were on the same road, so they just thought they would stop by the campground. But based on how this location is described, it's not a place that you're just like, oh, I'm just gonna stop by.
Speaker 2: You're either going there or you're not right.
Speaker 3: And if they were just stopping by, did they pack their car, were they planning on staying out there, or was it literally a pit stop out in the woods to visit your friend who you know is camping out there. It would also.
Speaker 2: Also be weird. It's nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 1: You can't text your friend and say like, hey, you're coming, You can't call, you can't stalk them on find my friends. So you're just gonna ride through this camp ground in the dark, hoping you can find your friend's campsite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all a bit I don't know it was it strange?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this article also indicated that the family was suspicious of the friends, and that maybe even.
Speaker 2: Mike's father was involved somehow.
Speaker 1: So I do want to go back and read through this article again, but I initially scrolled right to the battom and I was like, do they list their sources? So I'm like, where did they get this information? And there's no sources listed. So I am going to go back and read through it again and maybe I'll post it to Patreon. Maybe we'll do like one of those anybody can access posts, because this article had completely different information than any of the other things that.
Speaker 2: I had read.
Speaker 1: Because I did think it was very strange that none of the articles indicated how many friends were there.
Speaker 2: They're just friends.
Speaker 1: There was one strange outdoors article that mentioned one of the friends' names, but nowhere else did I see how many friends.
Speaker 2: No one's name was listed, which I thought was not totally unusual, but.
Speaker 1: Typically you at least get he had three friends, or I don't know, at least a little.
Speaker 2: More detail than the no detail that this case seemed to have. So I will share this on.
Speaker 1: Patreon and maybe we can have a discussion there because this article, I'm like, is this even the same case, because this is totally different than everything I had read prior to, you know, the ten minutes before we're going to record.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, i'd be curious to hear what other people think.
Speaker 2: Mike Madden was twenty years old.
Speaker 1: He had left a note, he had taken his dog, and he'd gone somewhere he loved or he had been before, somewhere that likely felt very safe to him. His domains have never been found, and his case is still open. His mother passed away in two thousand and four, and then his father died in two thousand and eight. Interestingly, his mother's obituary listed Mike as a survivor, and his father's listed him as being predeceased.
Speaker 2: So I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 1: I do really like obituaries. I know that's a very weird thing to say, but I just think they tell you can tell a lot about a person by the way their loved ones have basically summarized their lives.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, sometimes in a good way and sometimes not so much.
Speaker 1: So it is interesting that perhaps whoever wrote these obituaries knew that each parent had a different view of what happened to Mike or where Mike was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that is definitely a puzzling one. So if you have any thoughts or opinions or more information on it, yeah, you feel free to, you know, comment. Where you listen or reach out to us on socials and we'd love to hear it.
Speaker 1: I think this would be a really good case for people to share their thoughts or theories, and it's a good one to kind of have a discussion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, all right, Well until next time.