Speaker 1: It is seven oh five here Kentucky. This Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas Happy Thursday, everybody, whole cruiz here. We got Scott Fitzgerald, John Alden and you just heard John Shannon. And the NBA to Louisville used to be used to be like an actual organization, and maybe they still exist, and if so, I apologize to act like they're dead, But I just there used to be a lot more noise locally. At least I feel like about people pushing the NBA to Louisville saying it would work, how big of a deal it would be to the economy, And I mean personally, I would love if we had an NBA team here. And the reason I bring this up is because Adam Silver, he was on yesterday with Dan Patrick, and Patrick asked him directly, Hey, I'm retiring in three years. Will we have NBA expansion in three years? And the response was honestly not sure. I don't mean to tease people with this, but this is the summer. We're going to look at it seriously. So I wouldn't be shocked if those that are real big supporters of bringing the NBA to Louisville used this as maybe a chance to have another push, And I don't know exactly what goes on and how you end up on the radar of the NBA. Clearly Louisville would be in a list of ten cities as far as expansion deserving. Yeah, that's so. I've always felt like the time was, the timing was there, it just didn't happen. You had a chance a couple of different times to bring an NBA team here, and there's different stories as far as what kept that from happening. It wasn't a secret by any means that when Tom jurch was the athletic director at the University of Louisville, he was very much against having an NBA team here, and a lot of people listened to Tom Jurich and he was a great athletic director, but he was also somebody who was very good at persuading people. And it is wild to me that there were people that believe that the NBA being in louisvill would be a bad thing, I mean, be phenomenal, and yet I think the noise just more so became well, yeah, but it would take away a lot of the corporate support that you get that, you get the U of L gets because then there would be more of a push to maybe have that towards the NBA franchise. And that isn't like a crazy thing to bring up, but it's a win win for every single person. If an NBA team was here, I just I find a hard I think now you have fallen to where they used to be unheard of to think about a professional sports team in Las Vegas. Las Vegas will now be the next will now be the next city that has an NBA team. I don't think there's any question. Well, Lebron James wants to own it, and he but he can't be a player and own it. So when he when if expansion happens in three years? And in Vegas, Vegas, we've seen now that the NFL works in Vegas, the NHL works in Vegas, the w n B a is in Vegas. Is there a base? Is that where the a's are going to Vegas? So the NBA is going to go to Vegas at some point, and obviously Seattle also will be first in line. Right outside of Vegas. I think Seattle was first in line to get an NBA team before before Vegas until it became a clear thing that it can work there. And now sports gambling is embedded within how we consume sports content. So I just think we missed the window.
Speaker 2: Do you think that the NBA is more inclined to give a franchise to a team that already has a w NBA franchise.
Speaker 1: I don't. I wouldn't think that that matters a whole lot, because there's just it's a different planet when it comes to the support and the reach. I mean, the WNBA is not in any way profitable, and it without and I mean this is just fact, Without Caitlin Clark, it's not a needle mover for most people. It just isn't. That's just that's just that those are facts. It might hurt people's feelings, but that's just the way that it is. So h There's other cities that come up, like Kansas City has has been as a place that is big enough. They've clearly had success with their pro teams there. I just don't think for a long Louisville, I think, has always been known as a basketball city. Kentucky's been known as a basketball state. Obviously, the Colonels were here in the ABA long ago, and I think it's been viewed as a city that would embrace and want the NBA in the last you know, ten to fifteen years. But I just think it's just hard for me to envision when they're looking at expanding by two or expanding maybe by four. I just feel like we would miss the cut as a city, not because of anything specifically wrong with us, it's just I think for what the NBA is looking for, market size, proof of high level professional sports succeeding, I just think it makes it tough. And I guess maybe one thing you could say is that, well, you know, Louisville has never had a major pro sports team before. Now we have Racing Louisville, but never an MLB team. Actually they did way way back in the day, like hundreds of years over one hundred years ago. So maybe they would get the benefit of the doubt because we are known as a basketball city. But I just feel like when the opportunity was there with the Hornets, and I believe also might have been the there was another potential, not expansion, I mean it was it was basically taking over for a team that needed a new home and was looking to move. I feel like that would have been your best window. I think expansion, You're not going to be as attractive as other cities to where your best chance of ever getting an NBA team in Louisville, in my opinion, would be the Kings or the Grizzlies or somebody like that. And I'm not saying this is realistic New Orleans. Maybe if those teams it just wasn't working there, it had run its course and they realized there's no ceiling here, maybe then you could you could get somebody to relocate. But as far as an expansion candidate, I think you're in the mix. I just I think you have to have a big expansion for that to happen.
Speaker 3: Do you think that keeping on comparing the Colonels to success here is kind of unfair because that was so long Ayeoh and of course yeah. All it's a different time right now than it was in the NBA.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've always believed that we would support an NBA team, but that's just my belief. Maybe that's wishful thinking. You know, you just don't know until until you have one, and I think you getting one at this point this in the current climate, I just think you're you're better off getting you have a better chance of getting one if if somebody is looking to move, then looking to expand and start a new franchise. All right, we got an update of traffic and weather coming your way right here. It is seven to eleven a news Radio eight forty whas. It is seven seventeen here at news Radio eight forty whas. It is Kentucky Anda's Morning News with myself, Nick Coffee. I hope you guys know who I am. If not, now you do, and I hope you remember, and I hope you come back and start your morning with us each and every day, and just know that whatever you're doing, wherever you're going, take us with you. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at whas dot com. I've been mentioning throughout the morning that we have a way for you to interact with us, and that is with the talkback feature on the iHeartRadio app. Where I come from in sports radio, interaction is a big part of it. Right People call in and yell and talk about their favorite teams and tell you how stupid you are, how stupid the coach is. And there is a part of me that will miss that world. It was a lot of fun. Obviously this is a little bit different, but I do think it's important to let listeners know that they have a way to interact with us live on the show. And obviously you can get in touch with us on Twitter and Facebook and all that, and a lot of people still do that. But the talk back feature is really easy, and it's a tool that iHeart has implemented that we'd be foolish not to really utilize to where if you're listening on the app and you click the microphone on your device, it will then prompt you to record up to thirty seconds of whatever you want. What I always say is questions, compliants, compliments, insults, feel free to send them in. Not everything, of course, would be and look, there may be people that just want to share something that maybe they don't expect to be played on the air. We're not going to just play everything that comes in. But if we are to talking about something that you have a strong opinion on, we're talking about something that you you know, you really want to express the way you feel, you have the option to do that, and we'll certainly try to mix in some of these What do we call them. We can't call them talkbacks, like what do we We got to figure out a way to smoothly reference what this is because I'm a company man. But talk back feature, I don't love that. I don't love the way that's worded. I can't come up with a better one necessarily, but uh, you know, let's let's hit the talk back. Let's you know, and there's ways to to to to word it. But anyways, if you want to share something and it is a different perspective than maybe we are discussing or thinking about, you know, that can always continue the conversation. Sometimes you could potentially help take our conversations in a different direction. So again we'll we'll try to utilize that more so here on the show. And again, whatever you got, feel free to uh to send it in. That'd be nice.
Speaker 3: It's a great feature, Nick, because it does give listeners a chance to be part of the show. And as a matter of fact, you know, something's going on out in town, and you know, I can't tell you the number of times that people have called in and said, hey, listen, by the way, I'm on my way sixty for them at the WADDI exit, and I just witnessed an accident.
Speaker 1: That's right, those are the ones I love.
Speaker 3: I mean, Bobby Ellis does a great job with our traffic, you know, and I love that folks call in. Don't get me wrong, don't stop calling in. But Bobby's pretty on top of that. Where what Bobby needs help with too. What we all do is when you're we've all seen it, we've seen an accident happen when we're in our car. And if a listener can reach out to us and let us know, hey, look this just happened. You know how many times people have emailed me and said, thanks to you all, I was able to get off before the Waddy exit and make the detour.
Speaker 1: Yeah you can. I mean they listeners can then be a resource for us, right.
Speaker 3: Even with an app's not going to pick it up that quick. So use that talkback feature Nick's talking about. That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Have you have you heard some of the commercials that Our Heart runs promoting it that I like. I like leaning into it because there are some people that that don't realize that it is a for it's a platform. It's a feature that you can tell us you could share something with us. Some people click the microphone and think, you know, hey hey Alexa or hey Siri. They think if you hit the microphone and tell the app what you want, then it'll do it. And I mean your your echo speaker may or whatnot. But the app on the microphone that's there when you're listening to us live is for you to yell at us or yep or give it or tell us how great we are. We love that, we love that. I'm kidding. We wouldn't. We wouldn't, would we. I don't know, maybe we would. Maybe maybe we would just play nothing but people praising us. Everybody likes some compliments. That's right, every stuff all right, trafficking weather. Your next update is now. Also another update on sports coming your way right here on news radio eight forty whas. Thank you, John. It is seven thirty five here Kentucky. His morning news with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas. We'll talk coming up in about an hour a little under an hour with Rory O'Neill of NBC News and get his get his thoughts on the latest with the is stems going on, not only in California, in La. LA's gotten the most of the attention as you could expect, but you're seeing it here in Louisville protests that I think have mostly been peaceful from what I've gathered, but cities across the country are preparing for what I guess they hope is a peaceful protest, but you really never know, and you need to be prepared if, in fact, it turns out to not be peaceful. So this weekend there I think there are a total of yeah, there are a thousand, says here. The protests are part of over a thousand demonstrations planned nationwide that are opposing President Trump' immigration policies and these ice rates. So here in Louisville there are at least three that are scheduled for Saturday, one downtown and two in the Highlands, with additional protests planned across the river in Indiana. These follow I guess the smaller peaceful anti ice protests that took place in louis on Monday, and again, from what I've gathered, they seem to be peaceful, certainly compared to what you've seen at times in Los Angeles. However, there was footage pictures surfacing of I can't think of which road it is I can get anywhere I need to go downtown, but I'm terrible at remembering specifically building. Yes, I'm oh on Broadway? Was that Okay? I was going to say Broadway, then I thought about main Street, and then I'm thinking, no, it's not main Street. So you know, those that want to really make a big deal about the protests going on, and I'm not saying that at times they're not worthy of making a big deal out of it. But the one thing that they were really able to put out there, see, see this is an issue. See, somebody's got to fix this is that they were in the street to where if you wanted to drive down Broadway you wouldn't be able to do so. I don't think it turned into anything major, but you you've got to be prepared. Again. Cities across the country are I'm sure they already have plans in place. I know L and PD. They're balancing public safety, but also of course protecting First Amendment rights here and letting people demonstrate and protest peacefully. So they're going to have bike patrols, mounted units, and of course video recording for accountability, which is huge.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I wonder how many lessons we learned in the Breonna Taylor protests. Then we took away from that, and that's probably a question for someone like Jody Myman or even the chief.
Speaker 1: But to your point, I surely I think everybody learned some things in their own way, given sort of what that entire thing was.
Speaker 3: Well right, And I watched some of the footage from the protest yesterday, and for the most part, everybody was in I guess for all of it.
Speaker 1: Really the people were peaceful.
Speaker 3: As you mentioned, if you were trying to get down Broadway, that probably was a problem. But let's be honest, this is downtown Louisville. You're not in downtown Manhattan. I've encountered not just protests, but a lot of construction this summer now, which I think is fantastic because we've got to improve our infrastructure. But I've always been able to find another way around it, and it hasn't delayed my tripsgnificantly. So if people are protesting peacefully, I understand, you know, does it make it to whom you're referring to? Is it illegal? Yeah, if you don't have the permits, you better believe it is. But let's put some context here. And so if I were to see what I'm trying to say is if I needed to get down Broadway and I needed to get through that area and there were protesters there, it wouldn't even occur to me to maybe take a turn down or wherever and go around the protests and get to where I'm going. I've got an app that can get me there as long as people are being peaceful.
Speaker 1: I don't care what you protest, yeah, I just what fascinates me is to just try to put myself in the many different shoes of many different people. Right if you are somebody that was to turn down a road Broadway and you see peaceful, protesting people walking towards you, if you've never encountered that before, regardless of what you think of protests or not, it could probably be alarming to people or they may be worried. And it's because a lot of the footage that gets really spread across everywhere on the internet, all over the new it gets sensationalized to where you may be fearful. I don't know what the I don't know if these people are angry, if they're going to try to make an example out of me because they feel so strongly about why, you know, whatever, it is that they're they're protesting. So I don't know. I just I think even if it is peaceful and it's not, you know, and they're not being held accountable by not having a permit, you know, it still could impact every people's people's every day lives and make them uncomfortable. And that's just that's what you have to balance here. I mean, LMPD, it's their responsibility and they know it to to balance it as best they can. But I'd be a liar if I told you I think it's.
Speaker 3: Easy, right, right, because although, like you mentioned earlier, with the school system and whatnot, let's be honest, nobody is ever one hundred percent. And so I think you raise up a good question. I'm sure these questions are going to be thought long and hard about over the next few days as we see these protests unfold. My bigger concern with the protest is, like anything else, is they start peaceful. We have peaceful protests, and then it takes one offshoot thing to happen, whether it be by accident, whether it be on purpose, somebody throws a wrench into the whole thing, and then all of a sudden, you know what breaks loose.
Speaker 2: That's my concern when it comes to these protests.
Speaker 1: Well, and you just never know. There's no way to know if how who that is there is truly just looking to make a change, or if they're there to wait for somebody to make the first move to basically cause chaos. And that's what you got to be worried about. I was.
Speaker 3: I was there when Remember why they went marched on Daniel Cameron's house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember rolling.
Speaker 2: Up because I had to go over to saying hey, Albert at the time for an.
Speaker 1: Event, had to be a scene, dude.
Speaker 3: There were so many cars with out of state license plates that were parked outside.
Speaker 1: There's to your point, I'm not surprised. I'm not surprised exactly. All Right, We've got another update of trafficking weather coming your way right here right now on Who's Radio eight forty whas seven forty seven here at Kentucky this Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas. We talked last week about the Nintendo switch to being a big item that had people lined up seemingly for miles to purchase, and the purchase the people that purchased them, I'm sure they're happy and a lot of you did exactly that because there's been a record bro Yes. So the switch To that released released last week managed to rack up more than three point five million units sold in just four days, makes it the fastest selling console in the history of the company. The switch To retails for about four hundred and fifty dollars. Some stores are already out of stock of the console, so I'm sure they'll be restocking. And if you did, if you waited, this is what we brought up last week. If you waited in line and you got it and you paid the four hundred and fifty bucks, you've probably been playing it NonStop because it's the new toy and you love it. But was it worth waiting however long you waited, And I guess that's all subjective, But you know, if you've already, if you've got the Switch one or the Switch Original, whatever it was called, I would just the thought of standing in line. There's not many things that I would like if it's something that I need as far as a necessity for like my life, not necessarily my life depending upon it, but just you know, something that like quite literally I have to have. That's different. But this is just a toy. And I don't mean to say that if you're like a grown up and you waited in line like you're playing with toys, you need to grow up. I mean, but literally, it's a video game. It's a toy, and adults have toys too. I've got toys, so you know, I'm not passing any judgment, but I just there's not much that I would that I would say, Okay, yeah, I'll sit here for four hours just so I can get it a few weeks earlier. It just wouldn't be worth it to me, but hey, maybe it's worth it to others.
Speaker 2: Do you remember the last thing you stood in line for?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: You know, because when you're talking about that, you're making me think. Now, did you see the lines on TikTok when Paul Skemes Bibblehead Night.
Speaker 1: Was in Pittsburgh. No? Oh, insane, bro.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was like a guy just walked along the line and it was crazy to think what people held out for.
Speaker 1: It was the same with Terror School. Was he signing them or it was just a bottlehead and it was crazy.
Speaker 3: And people do this, and as we mentioned earlier, you can hire somebody to sit in line for you and wait if.
Speaker 2: You want, which is what a lot of people are doing now, and how many of these intended now I might do that.
Speaker 1: I would rather because that if I'm making money and it's just taking my time. It depends upon, of course the money and the time involved. But I can get I can get lost on my phone for a few hours. I can you know, I take a couple of pairs AirPods and just you know, I mean, it wouldn't be fun, but if it's if, if there's a price associated with it, then it may be worth it. But as far as just to just to spend that much money, yeah, and know that I could spend the same amount of money and not have to wait in line as long as some people did. That would just be my preference. But again, everybody's got their own their own preferences.
Speaker 3: And do you see how we always sit in different church or same church, different you in generations? Okay, back in the eighties it was the cabbage patch kids, people went crazy over.
Speaker 1: I mean, things never changed.
Speaker 3: And I say, it's about politics all the time, and we're still having the same arguments. My old man is saying, it was saying forty years ago, you know, back in the eighties, it was Cabbage Patch kids.
Speaker 2: You know, now it's Nintendo switches.
Speaker 1: And how many of these were ending up on eBay? Oh, I'm sure a lot of I'm sure that's that's a I wouldn't say that's an industry, but that's a that's that's its own world where you just get your hands on something and you are willing to do whatever to get it because you know it's going to be there's not going to be many of them early on, and you can probably sell it for double what it retails for because people are just that desperate to have it as soon as possible, and that'll probably never change. To your point, you just made me realize how impatient I actually am, because I can't remember the line. If I see a long line, I'm walking away. There's just nothing. I just I don't I don't wait. I don't like to wait on things. Yeah. All right, We've got another update of traffic and weather coming your way, and also another update on sports right here on news Radio eight forty whas