Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 3: The X files were fresh and popular.
Speaker 4: The nightly am airwaves were ruled from the desert compound of art Bell and in the Tropics, a new menace troubled ranchers, a bloodsucking animal known as el chupacabra. Before it became the go to explanation for every mysterious animal corpse, the chupacabra was a serious threat for poor hardscrabble ranchers who feared this.
Speaker 2: Bloodsucking monster and what it could do to their livestock.
Speaker 4: Fifteen years have gone by, and the chupacabra has become a punchline for many people.
Speaker 3: Hairless dogs are hardly the stuff of.
Speaker 4: Nightmare, but Ben Radford remembers the original claims the strange hairless humanoid creature which seemed to have amazing powers of leaping, flying, and more. Inspired to get to the bottom of it, Ben worked for five years to find out what was behind the story, and now his findings are available in his newest book, Tracking the Chupacabra.
Speaker 2: Today aln Monster Talk.
Speaker 4: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before. A giant hairy creature mark Ape Park mat in Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 2: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster. Monstertal.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and together we've been Radford and doctor karn Stolesno, we look at the science behind monster stories.
Speaker 2: This week it's just been in me.
Speaker 4: Karen is out sick, but hopefully we'll be back in the podcasting saddle very soon.
Speaker 3: Our interview today is with Ben Radford.
Speaker 4: Or get their co host on our show and the author of several books on monsters topics. Today we're discussing his latest tracking The Chuop of Cabra. You can get a copy of his book at Redford Books dot com or check the show notes at monster talk dot org. Monster Welcome to Monster Talk Today. We're going to be talking to author and Monster Talk co host Benjamin Radford about his new book.
Speaker 2: What's your new book called?
Speaker 5: Ben is Tracking the Chupacabre the Vampire Beast in fact, fiction and folklore.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I spent a lot of time working on it.
Speaker 4: So you have you have I since you shared some of your research with myself and Karen and Daniel Loxton as you were working on it, it was kind of fun to see it all come together and now you've got your book.
Speaker 2: So I'm proud of you.
Speaker 5: Good job, Thank you, thank you. I appreciate that. It's it's as you know, in in skepticism, a lot of times the thing hues are not forthcoming. Usually just get the barbers from the believers who are pissed off at you. So it's it's nice to get a couple of pets in the back, especially for skeptical words.
Speaker 4: Thanks well, you know, as a writer, it's also good to see somebody finish something they started, so that's always.
Speaker 5: Like exactly, it's easy enough to start. I mean I've I've started, you know, dozens of articles and books and finishing it. That's the rub, as they say it is.
Speaker 3: So, how did you pick the chup Ofcabre as a topic.
Speaker 5: That's a great question. I think that I think that I was intrigued by it for a number of reasons. The first one was that it seemed to be a relatively recent monster. Of course, as you know, with the case of the Lockness Monster, the sightings themselves on the date back to about the nineteen thirties, but they're the supposed mythologies behind it date back much earlier, depending on who you talk to. The same with Bigfoot, you know, that's really only been around since about the fifties, but they sort of wrote into wild man stories and you know, Native American mythologies and stuff. But in the case of the Cubicabra, that didn't really exist. It would just sort of suddenly just popped essentially out of nowhere in the mid nineteen nineties, and so I was intrigued by that because of course, real animals don't just appear out of nowhere, you know, you don't just a you know, an unknown dragon like creature suddenly appeared over you know, Boston's you know, stadium or something. So that was one of the things that really intrigued me. And then also, of course the fact that it was a vampire was interesting to me, and so there were and also the fact that I speak Spanish and I've traveled extensively throughout Latin America. So it was kind of a confluence of many different factors that led me into the mysterious realm of the cubicabra.
Speaker 2: In your words, vampire is anything that drinks blood. Is that right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'll go with that. Basically, anything that's either repeaters drink blood or or a dozen factory blood.
Speaker 4: What does it look like? What does the chop of copper look like? The original version. We'll talk about the fact that there's more than one form of it.
Speaker 5: But well, the original version of the chipicabra, and I can get into the original witness a little bit later on, but the original one was a bipedal sort of manlike creature between three and five feet tall, with had large red or black alien like eyes, sort of like the alien wrap round eyes you often see depicted on the on the on the grays, for example, had a distincts.
Speaker 4: That the gray aliens for the gray aliens.
Speaker 5: Yes, it had a very distinctive row of spikes down the back that were described as either sort of feathers or spikes or or feathery spikes, had long claws, long fingers, some some people said had wings. But basically that's the original one, and then there were sort of spin offs of that. So when you look at that, that's what the original eyewitness account and then within about well within a few months actually, other people started reporting sort of variations on that theme. And I can talk a little bit that if you want.
Speaker 4: One version of it is humanoid, yes, and what's the other version, Well.
Speaker 5: The other version is canid, you know, for what the dog like animals can include everything from dogs, foxes, coyotes and things like that. And these are they basically just look like essentially hairless, probably mangy dogs or coyotes. They're four legged, they have a prominent canine teeth, and that's that's the other version. And it's interesting you sort of you can actually create a timeline on this because the original troop of cabra was mostly seen the one I reproduced Describers is mostly seen round between about nineteen ninety five and say two thousand, almost exclusively in Latin America in a couple other places. And then the type to chipcabra, the s what I've called the Texas cubicabra, appeared in about two thousand and four to the present. So there was this there was this interesting sort of timeline where the cupicabra definitely morphed forms and you know, essentially changed changed what it was and what people were contributing.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 4: It sort of just popped out of nowhere in nineteen ninety five. Did it come with an origin story or did it just come with the sighting and the origin stories came later, or how did that work out?
Speaker 5: That's actually one of the most fascinating parts about it. When I was researching the book, I went to Puerto Rico and I interviewed several people there and did of course a lot of research on it. And what's interesting you have to look at the social and cultural context in which these settings emerged. What happened was that by say in the early nineteen ninety five, there had been reports of mysteriously there have been reports of things that the animals that were said to have been mystruously drained of blood in different parts around the island of Puerto Rico. And it hadn't really sort of turned into like a fever, pitch fear hysteria, but there there was there were rumors and gossip of you know, some sort of unknown vampire creature that you know that would be it would have attacked some goats in one part of the island, or some chickens here or there and UH and the the tabloids. In fact, there were two main tabloids in Puerto Rico, Elvetcetera and Elodia, and both of those were sort of like the equivalent of the National Inquirer UH. And they loved these stories. As you can imagine. Every time that you know, some farmer in some remote place said that he had, you know, dead chickens or goats, they dispatched the reporter and they got, you know, very gory, gruesome, dramatic photos of you know, of these these dead animals laying there and the farmer talking about how mysterious it was. So a lot of this was actually fueled by by tabloids and sensational oppress at the time. But nobody had really seen the creature. There had been essentially up until August or so of ninety five. There it was all just sort of rumors and gossip and sort of some sort of vague thing that may or not have been attacking things. But it wasn't until August that there was actually a face and a whole description of the creature. And that's that's sort of where the original one came from.
Speaker 2: Who gave it that face?
Speaker 5: That was a woman named Madeline Tolantino. Hers was the original description of the chepicabra that became world famous. In fact, if you if you do a Google image search for chepicabra, you'll find a lot of it different images, but there's one primary image that sort of has again this alien like creature has spikes down the back, big, has large eyes, sort of fangs, almost no nose, and bipedal things like that, And that was her original description. And interestingly enough, the original Chupacapa reports, including Miss Tolentinos, was originally investigated and I'm using I'm using scare quotes, I'm using air quotes around investigated by UFO buffs in Puerto Rico at the time, and almost almost all of the original reports investigations such as they were, were by UFO believers and tabloid reporters, So there was little or no real scientific skeptical investigation done, certainly in the nineteen nineties, and I would argue up until essentially by the time I wrote the book. But that's that's one of interesting elements to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I know there's sort of a folklore aspect to the chupacabra. I've I've read accounts that it was an alien, It was an alien's pet, It was a hybrid creature created at a secret genetics lab underneath the observatory down there.
Speaker 2: Yeah and uh so.
Speaker 5: So yeah again this is this is another fascinating aspect to it is why are all of the all these origin stories. There's I can, I can. I'll give you the top say three or four. One of the most popular ones is exactly you said that it was an aliens pet, that there's a connection to extraterrestrials and UFOs and and aliens had been visiting the island of Puerto Rico and elsewhere, of course, and they, I guess sort of opened the door and just there ran out into the wilderness, and they called for it and never came back. And so since that time it's been living in the El Junk Forest. So that's one story, is that it's it's an extraterrestrial origin. Another another. The other main explanation for it is that it's the it's the results of top secret US government's genetics experiments, especially particularly in the in the El Junke rainforest, which is not too far from the capital of San Juan. And uh and so for for for many people el Junke this this sort of jungle like again rainforest area was thought to be either the origin or the and or the home of the chupicaba for many people. Other people believe that the chupicabra was the source of the AIDS epidemic, that AIDS was created by the chupicabra or by extraterrestrials through the chupacabra that were going to try and depopulate the earth a machine. But remarkable, isn't it.
Speaker 2: There's not a lot of chronology.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the chronology.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: Other people, for example, believe that the chepicabra was was importent of Armageddon. I did some research for the book and I was kind of came across a couple fundamentalist Christians who have written that the Chupacabra is referred to in in the Battle of in descriptions of Armageddon for example. So you've got you've got this sort of interesting End Times theology. Uh. There's a guy named James Lloyd who's the founder of the Christian Media Network Ministry, and he talks about how Revelations nine he claims described the Chupacabra, and he says that the chupacabra is in fact, a militarized weapon created by the by the US government that's you know, going to be unleashed on on evil doers or something.
Speaker 4: To me, having done several interviews on the topic of genetics and genetic manipulation here on Monster Talk, how different real genetic research is from the sort of fantasy version that the conspiracy minded public comes up with. You know, in in the fantasy world, anybody can just build anything in in you know, remote labs.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's like they have it's not just a funding issue. It's the it's the fact that they bring these things to life and then let them go, you know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's just a little odd well.
Speaker 3: You know, so there's these these stories about the tupe.
Speaker 2: Of copper, the humanoid version.
Speaker 4: Does the the the when the type two candide to put a copper comes under the scene, does it does it get into origin story or I don't want Is there any folkloric explanation for why they're calling these chuopocabras.
Speaker 5: That's another good question. I think that uh, you don't really find as much of the origin stories behind that version of choopicabra. Partly because in the other the other distinction you have to understand between the sort of type one and type two chep ofcabras is is nobody has ever found a type one chepicabra basically again the the humanoid or reptilian or kangaroo with wings or I mean, there's a wide variety of descriptions to it. These have only been cited and reported, uh that there have been photographed or anything else like that. The type two type the typetoo chip of cabras what I would call that, the Texas cheop oficabras. Uh. In these cases we have a dead body that this is, you know, we we actually have a physical specimen. And again that this this also distinguishes it from for example, a bigfoot lockness monster, a mothman, dragon's unicorns, you know, mermaids, except for the Fiji mermaid and other things like that, uh, in which these are you know, we have no hard physical forensic evidence. In the case of the cup of gabra, allegedly we do. We've got you know, half a dozen or so uh dead cupicabres that can be examined and tested. So I think that partly because uh there is uh, there is you know, the the the hard you know, hard physical body.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: That sort of detracts, I think from from the folklore behind it.
Speaker 4: Well, do you want to talk about some of these cases where they found these bodies?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 5: Sure, I mean there's there's been about again, about a half dozen or so. The the original, uh, not the best known, but the original I think, as far as I know, the first Chupicaba report in terms of again the type two Chupicabo, the canon type came from August two thousands in the in the village of Mafassio, Nicaragua. There was a a farmer named Jorge Talavera who it's kind of a long story and I won't get into the details here you can read in the book, but basically he claimed that some animal was attacking his, his, his, his, his livestock and goats, and he finally got tired of it and he said, I'm gonna I'm going to catch this damp thing. And so he and a ranch hand camped out overnight and they sort of waited and waited in the cold darkness, and finally they saw one or two The descriptions very's not sure if there's one or two, but one or two sort of four legged monsters. Basically that he interpreted the chubukabra that we're attacking his his animals. He shot at them, he hit one of them, h and then it sort of ran off from the darkness. A couple of days later, his ranch hand was was walking around a remote part of his ranch and he came across some vultures feeding on a carcass and it was basically reduced to a skeleton. I mean there was a little bit of meat behind it, but essentially a skeleton. And uh, he said, well, this this, this must be the chepicabra. And the story then made national news, international news. In fact, reporters were calling from you know, Japan, Italy, you know, you know, and you know New York wanting to find out, you know, had we found the chepicaba because again this was this was the very first time somebody had claimed to find an actual body of the chepicabrum. Again, it's it's kind of a long involved story of but basically, uh, he had he asked the local university to examine the remains, and uh, they came back a dog that it was not, in fact an unknown creature. It wasn't a vampire. It was as an ordinary dog. And he later disputed this account and claimed that there was a conspiracy behind it, that they had actually switched the they had actually switched the bones. But that was that was the first found body. Probably the best known is the Quero chupicabra and in Quero, Texas, found by a woman named Phillis Canyon, and I investigated that in part along with the TV show Monster Quest in two thousand and eight. And that was where this woman and this woman found a dead type two chupicabra, you know, four legs, hairless or nearly hairless, uh, near her ranch, and she, you know, she went into it and the examined it, and she ended up having some DNA tests run on it by Todd Stel among others, I believe, and that came back coyote uh. And as with mister Talavera, Phillis Canyon was not happy with this. With this, this DNA results in dispute of them. She asked for a second instead of tests, which we're done, and it came back essentially the same, but with the added caveat that there may be some some wolf in it, some red wolf. Again. In all these different cases you have, you know, somebody finds a dead weird thing basically, and if there's a body there, then then someone says, oh, I wonder what this weird thing is. And then oftentimes they'll they'll go to the Internet and they'll do a Google search for weird you know, weird monster in Texas and the chubicabo pop up, and they'll say, well, there it is, and that's it must be the chepicabra. Or other times, oftentimes, particularly in Texas, ranch hands Spanish speaking ranch hands often will will we'll call the chupacabra because again, so the chubicapra. Originally, of course, the chubicapra means goat sucker in Spanish, because it's supposed to suck the boat the blood out of goats and also livestock and cats and chickens and other things. But over the last say, ten or fifteen years, the word chup ofcabra has basically come to mean anything weird, any unusual creature, or anything else that somebody has found that may or matt have any actual relevance to bloodsucking or vampism or anything else like that. So again there's other ones there's the Blanco, Texas too, Picabo Elmendorf. There were a couple found here in New Mexico and elsewhere. But those are those are a couple of the highlights.
Speaker 4: Unlike Bigfoot or Nassi are actually most of the monsters we talked about. This is a vampire creature in its original form. Where does that come from? Where does the bloodsucking come from? Well, the blood suck because it sounds like it actually predated the actual sightings.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's again another fascinating aspect to it. What you have to remember is that is that with the original reports, when you're looking at the original reports from for example, early nineteen ninety five Puerto Rico, the people weren't calling it the chupacabra at that time. It was just something is attacking livestock and we it appears to be drained of blood, and we think it's weird and whatever else. And it wasn't really until until around August or so. That again, in August was when the first person actually saw the creature. At that point, everyone's like, oh my god, this is what people have been this is what people have been have been seeing and reporting it, and you know, this is what's attacking the animals. Tolentino herself didn't, as far as I know, didn't actually call it the chupicabra. She didn't come up with that name. I think she just said I saw something weird, and other people, you know, put the chupacava label onto that. So again, there was definitely a vampire aspect to it that was essentially its signature form of predation. I mean, that's that's what that is, and that's that's what the chupacabra does. It sucks. It sucks goat's blood. In my book, I I I put it within the context of other vampires around the world. And so for example, I looked at h at the European vampire and the stories of the story. I looked at the European vampire and the stories of the creatures that were said to drained blood or other bodily substances from the living the oftentimes blame for bad things happening. Uh And I also looked into, for example, African vampires uh and, and some of the stories of vampiic entities and creatures and sometimes people, oftentimes white people. There's a strong element of xenophobiaan fear of foreigners in vampire stories in general and specifically in the Chepicabra as well, and also go into other Latin American vampires such as the Leikichiri creature, which I investigated in Bolivia in Peru, which which sucks the fat out of people. So there's there's a there's a whole. So that Chubicata really fits very well within the context of other vampire claims, and so that's why I spend chapter two in the book.
Speaker 2: Talking about that.
Speaker 4: Well, you think of VAMPI sorry, the sucked fat would come to America, not Peru.
Speaker 5: You would think, uh, I've written about that extent. That's a whole. That's a whole different subject. But it definitely it definitely feeds into the whole chep Oficabra story.
Speaker 2: What's your book like?
Speaker 4: What kind of style is it in? Describe it a little bit for for our listeners.
Speaker 5: It was a little bit tricky trying to figure out how I was going to cast it. I spent about five years researching it and about a year or two writing it. When I finally felt that I had I had investigated the chip Oficabra to the best of my ability. I had looked at all the carcasses as many as I could, you know, many of them I I physically went and personally examined. I went looking for the Chipicabra in Nicaragua, in the jungles of Nicaragua for for about a week a couple of years ago, and sort of doing an actual field expedition out, you know, physically looking for it, not just sort of sitting back in my armchair. But so it was. It was a little tricky trying to decide how I was going to present all the all the all the different stuffs. And so what I tried to do was I basically try to, uh bring some science to the whole thing, but also keep some of the interests in the mystery to it. So I talk about in the first in the first part to talk about the history of the chepicabra, and you know, what is it, where did it come from? What are the stories behind it?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: And then I go into the folklore behind it, because a lot of times when you no matter what monster you're talking about, whether it's Bigfoot or Nassi or moth man or spring heel jack or what have you, there's a there's a rich tradition of folklore and and stories behind it. That's not to say that these creatures are necessarily mythical, because there may be folklore around you know, real existing animals as well. But but to really understand the Chepicabra, because so much of it did seem to sort of trace back to folklore. I talked a little bit about the chepicapra popular culture in in how how people perceive it, again getting into the different theories behind it. You know, is it the source of the AIDS epidemic? Is it? Is it importent of of the end times? Is it an extraterrestrial what is it? And then in the in the in the middle part of the of the book, I I talked about searching for the Cupicabra and you know, actually going out and looking for it, and again getting into the the the time spent in the jungles of Nicaragua, looking into the dead cub of cabres and the carcasses and exploring some of the stories behind those. And then in the last part I I sort of bring it all together and I bring the reader back to the original questions of you know, what is the chup of cabra? Could it? Could it actually exist? Could it suck blood? Could the animals that have been found, you know, the so called type two text of Cubicabras, Could they have sucked blood? Could could they be the Cupicabra?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 5: And I sort of get into the more of the forensics and the and the the the I get into the forensics and the biology and the folk flre of it. So I sort of structured it as sort of a mystery to be solved, sort of you know, hey, here's this interesting mystery. Let me bring you along as we sort of look at all the different aspects of the cheep of Gabra and figure out, you know, could this be real? So that's that's sort of how I tried to structure the book.
Speaker 4: Well, if someone buys the book, do you actually have the solution? Is there an answer to the mystery of Chupicabra?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 5: Yeah? And I I as a as an as a writer investigator, I I am very cautious about making statements that I can't back up, just because I'm I'm used to being sort of questions and intact and prodded, you know about some of the claims, and so I I do not take I do not take it lightly to say that I believe I've solved the mystery of the Chepicabra. I absolutely believe I have. I think that somebody who reads the whole book, who's who's open minded about it. I mean, if you're if you absolutely will not be convinced that the chepicabra does not exist, then you know, nothing I say or right is gonna it's going to change your mind. There's no there's no evidence that I can present that will will will change your mind on that. But I was very careful to sort of piece together all the all the elements and all the evidence and arguments, and I if there's any let me put it this way, if there are any remaining questions about the Chepicabra, I'd be happy to to feel the questions from from readers or listeners. Again, if there's I'm not being facetious. If there's anything you don't understand, let me know what it is because I can explain it to you. So uh yeah, And that's that's actually one of the things I find most interesting about is that you know, it's one of the very few high profile solved mysteries in my opinion. You know, of course readers can judge for themselves, but that that have really come out in the last you know, a few decades. It's really you know, there's lots and lots of I mean, I could never claim that I had solved the mystery of Bigfoot or solve the mystery of you know, lake monsters, because there's too much out there. There's too much information, there are too many reports, there's too many aspects to it. But in the case of the chup Oficabra, because it's only been around for about fifteen years, there are finite reports. There's only so many carcasses, there's only so many witnesses interview, there's only so many there's only so many aspects to it, and it's it's it can be a very complex and nuanced investigation, but ultimately it's sort of packaged all in one piece. I mean, there's finite information on it. And because of that, that's to my mind, what made it solvable.
Speaker 4: Your book will in the paradi of pathetic hairless animals that are being called chepacabra by the media.
Speaker 5: I'm sure it won't. I mean, that is, you know, this is this is always the problem that you know, skeptical investigators have is that you can. You can put forth explanations for things, and you can do your best to try to explain and solve them, but ultimately, you know, people are it doesn't matter how many times you search lockness and don't find anything, people are still going to think that there's something in the lake. You know, it doesn't matter how many times you search for Bigfoot or anything else. There's always going to be the believers who say, well, just wasn't in there or whatever else. So what I tried to do for my book, recognizing that the mystery was going to continue no matter what I said or wrote, I included an appendix in the book, Appendix two, in which the titlet is called how to Identify a Chepicabrum, And that, to my mind, was my bid to try and keep my book relevant to five, ten, twenty thirty years from now, so that if future investigators, researchers, or anybody that finds some dead animal, if they really believe that they found the chepicabru, I have a list of ten criterion ten questions to ask about that that you know, if you if you think you found the chepicabra, if you know, go through this list and you know is check these off and see if if, in fact, you know, it fits the criterion of what what a chupacabra must be in order to exist. Now, if it passes all these tests, that does not conclusively prove its the tupicabra, but it certainly would go much much farther in terms of establishing scientific credibility and validity of the creature.
Speaker 4: So, I know there's sort of a special treat for Muster Talk listeners. You've given us an audiobook rendition of the first chapter and the intro, so that should be in people's iTunes feed.
Speaker 2: But where can people actually find your book?
Speaker 5: Well, the book is actually it's it's it's out. I don't know that it's physically in bookstores yet, It'll probably be in bookstores in the next week or two. You can also go to my website, which is Chupacabra Mystery dot com, and I have the book for sale there. I think I include free shipping and a autographic. I'll even throwing some little cute freebies and photos and little chupicaba related to paraphin ilia as they say, So you can get it there. You can get to Amazon dot com better. Yet, you know, go to your local independent bookstores in order it there.
Speaker 4: So, as you know, as a co host, we often ask people what their favorite monster is.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite monster right now?
Speaker 5: Well, I hate to do the cop out, but honestly, my favorite monster is the chipicabre. Same. I look, I spent five years searching the damn thing. You know. I it's it is. I It's It's just a fascinating, fascinating mystery.
Speaker 2: Okay, just okay.
Speaker 4: Why do you think it captured so much of the public imagination. I mean, it was discovered in nineteen eighty five, or if you want to call it that, and then by the end of nineteen ninety six, they were filming an X Files episode about it. So how did it become so popular?
Speaker 5: Well, there's a couple of reasons. One was that it was fueled, as I touched on earlier, by tabloid press and sensationalism. You know, the every time that an alleged chupacabra was sighted or believed to have attacked some animals, the tabloids were all over it, you know, running big, you know, red headlines chupacabra attacks, blah blah blah, and photos and this and that. So a lot of the information that that many people, particularly many Puerto Ricans, were getting about the Chepicabra Saint late nineteen ninety five in nineteen ninety six, was very sensationalized and dramatic and exaggerated, and it's a it's a it's a cool creatures like this alien like blood sucking beest that you know that's supposedly attacking things and who knows it might attack people next, So that was part of it. So yeah, it really really jumped into the published consciousness after a talk show called Christina, which is essentially the Hispanics the Spanish, the Spanish language version of Oprah, did a segment on the cub Oficabra in nineteen ninety six, I think that was around March or so, and all of a sudden, like everyone is like talking about the Chepicaba, They're seeing the Chuopicabra there, there's just it just it just exploded after that, and also the Internet again in ninety five ninety six, just after Tolentino gave her her description and the most the most popular depiction of it went out there. It's it's suddenly it's on the web and people all over the world are seeing it and reading about this this mysterious new monster creature vampire thingy in Puerto Rico, and it just it captured the public's imagine nation. It just you know, it was the It was you know, a Bigfoot was old hat and Nassie was even older hat, and hey, who wouldn't be excited by this this creature? And so, as you pointed out, within several months of it of it, uh sort of jumping international borders and being cited in other places. Uh, the screenwriters for the X Files were were banging away on the script on that and uh, and you know, making making the most out of it.
Speaker 4: Do you sound like you're actually seriously passionate about it? So I assume that was not a comp out answer about your favorite monster.
Speaker 5: No, I mean, I get it's It's just there's not a compaut answer. There's just there's just so much too it. I mean, everything from you know, there's no other other cryptosological creature that I can think of that you know, is so involved in you know, conspiracy theory and and vamporism and I witness problems and testimony, different forms and different shapes, and there's just so much to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say in in in the late nineties when.
Speaker 2: Coast to Coast A. M was really at his peak. Sorry George Norri, what.
Speaker 3: I really, I mean, the tup of Cobbra stories coming in.
Speaker 4: And the Internet was really taking off as a place to kind of share these kind of stories of monsters. Uh, there were some downright creepy tales of people and having these encounters with the Cup of Cabra. So I know, I know what you're talking about. I think all of these hairless dogs have kind of diminished my joy at the mystery side of this creature. But hopefully your book can help me sort of recapture that at the same time give me some answers.
Speaker 2: So I'm looking forward to reading my.
Speaker 3: Comp copy, my free comp copy.
Speaker 5: It's on the way. It's not on the way, no, but I mean it's uh, you know again in terms of uh, in terms of what I solved about it, I mean, I'll just touch on that briefly, which is that, you know, different parts of the Tupicabra story had sort of been touched on or or examined by other investigators as well. For example, the vampor ism aspect sort of you get into UFOs and animal mutilations and things like that. But the central mystery to my mind, after after having researched it for for a number of years, the final mystery was where did it come from? What? What was its origin? Even though it seemed unlikely that this was an actual living, you know, biological creature, the question still was, Okay, well, then what the hell is it? You know, if if, if, if it's if it's not real, and you know, it may may not be. I mean it's anything is theoretically possible. But if if, if, all, if most of the evidence for this is very dubious, then then what what is? You know, what is attacking these creatures? And where did it come from? And uh, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Guess that's the that's the question that you answer in the book.
Speaker 5: It is it is. It's also to be fair, I do all it is in fact, to be fair, I do include a section in my Scientific Parter Investigations book. I think the last chapter in there is about the chepicabra, and I I also in there talk about my my discovery of the chup kaibra's origin. So it's it's not a huge mystery, it's it's a little bit of a mystery, but uh, it's it's out there for people who want to look for it. And you know, again, I I hope that people will will even if they don't believe that I have totally solved the mystery. Although I think most people will. Even if they don't totally believe it, I hope that they'll recognize that I did the best I could to examine and understand and explain it.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: And if if I'm wrong, or if I mischaracterized something, or if you know, tomorrow they find a cheep ofcabra, that's fine, I'll be the first to eat crow and and go examine it. But until then, I think I think this one's case closed.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks so much for sharing this with us, and I look forward to reading the book.
Speaker 2: And uh, wow, what a productive year for you.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, yeah, yeah, it's uh And you know, of course I couldn't have done as much with without Monster Talk. I mean, this has been a great experience. And just dealing with you and Karen and uh and all our fans and listeners, it's it's very rewarding to how people have have such interest in in in our in our shared passions and our our fascination with these monsters, so it's it's very cool.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks a lot, Monster thanks for listening to another episode of Monster Talk. Today, we heard about Ben Radford's latest book, Tracking the Chup of Cabra. You can find a link to bias book in our show notes or go to read for Books dot com.
Speaker 2: If you check your Monster.
Speaker 4: Talk feet you should see a free audience sample from his new book preceding this episode. If you like it, please you here with your friends. Monster Talk is produced with the supportive Skeptic magazine. If you like critical thinking and science, you should give it a read. Music for Monster Talk is by Peach Stealing Monkeys and thanks again for listening to our show.
Speaker 1: Hungry for more skepticism Want to learn the truth about the scientific controversies of our time, then subscribe to Skeptic, the magazine Stephen J. Gould called the best journal in the field. To subscribe visit skeptic dot com today
Speaker 5: And never came back.