Speaker 1: You're listening to bill Handle on demand from KF I am six forty.
Speaker 2: And this is KFI bill Handle here. It is a Monday Morning, August twelfth. Neil, By the way, that was very good commercial. But I have a question to ask you. Since most people don't and can't spell diarrhea, why would you send them to Lemon Law Lawyers dot com diarrhea? Don't quite understand that, okay, just a reference to a very effective commercial that Neil occasionally disgusting, but effective. All right, Good morning everybody, Monday morning, August twelfth, as we start the week, And actually the week was just the Olympics for the most part, which is kind of neat. There wasn't any huge massive numbers of people killed. One there was an attack in Gaza, but that's sort of a given. So last night, if you watched the closing ceremonies, which I did, and I think most of us did, it was my opinion, okay, and we're going to go around and ask this morning to a little survey. I thought the closing ceremonies were kind of lame. I didn't think it was any big deal. I mean, the circus lay people bouncing around the stage, for way too long the Olympic rings. Putting those up and raising them was half an hour too long. The singers, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, I wasn't overly thrilled.
Speaker 2: It was just one neat part of it, and that was the piano. If you know what I'm talking about. That's worth seeing. The piano being raised up on just literally going straight up on these cables, and the piano player, that French guy, really good piano player, obviously, is playing the piano as it's going straight up, and he's sitting like an astronaut, sits in a capsule on his back and still playing the piano going up. I thought that was kind of neat. Now the story now is immediately switches over to Angeles and what normally happens at the end of the closing ceremonies Usually the new city gets ten or fifteen minutes to promote itself, which it did last night. Being Los Angeles, that I thought was the lamest part of all. The flag being turned over to Karen Bass kind of neat. And then it started because it has to be some kind of a Hollywood twist, because Paris, I mean, I don't know how they're going to come anywhere near Paris, because you talk about a draft, a backdrop, you talk about a stage. It was all of Paris for the Olympics, of phenomenal opening ceremonies all through it. What do we do now, what does Los Angeles do? We have the Hollywood Sign, we have freeways that are always jammed, so we knew there was going to be a Hollywood spin. And there it starts, Tom Cruise repelling down and going on to the stage, coming off, and then he takes the Olympic flag and it was all of course pre videoed, and he gets on his motorcycle and takes the Olympic flag and goes through southern California. And then you had various bands, performers playing Red Hot Chili Peppers. Red Hot Chili Peppers. Boy, there's a band for you. That's a massive, internationally known band. I mean, come on, guys, yeah, it's just I mean, what do you do with that? And then I mean the whole thing was kind of I thought, pretty lame. I did, because there's not much you can do and whatever the Hollywood spin is going to be. I don't know how you compare it with Paris. I don't I mean as far as a city is concerned, I mean, the only thing that's kind of neat. We're going to have I think the Ocean Swim, which is going to be here. It is our pan to Paris, right, our our respond to Paris, and how lovely it is is we're going to have the ocean swim right in front of the Hyperion wastewater plant in Marina del Rey, and that way we'll connect the two Olympics. But that's basically it for me, not a big one. All right, Amy, Uh what grade do you give closing ceremonies? Oh? I give him a good B. All right? What do you think of opening ceremonies? Parts of it? I really enjoyed. I think it went way too long overall. I gave him an A. And by the way, I gave B minus maybe C plus. And would you give open a closing ceremonies? I give them, uh C plus B minus. Okay, we're in the same place opening. Uh d oh see I loved opening. Ah. I don't know where Neil went. He's out someplace. Kno, let's start with you have a television set. I have a television set yet? Okay, did you and you didn't watch I watched the Olympics. Uh yeah, all right, but not the no, not the closing ceremonies. I'm not into the whole. Then the big stars. Oh you know what I was saying yesterday is how we look at the athletes who amateur versus professionals. You know, you got the NBA players that come and represent whatever country, and these guys make tens of millions of dollars a year. Okay, great, it's almost a throwaway. They're going to the Olympics. In the meantime, you've got people that have spent a lifetime as real amateurs, I mean a lifetime preparing for these games, and they're never going to make any money and it's strictly a love of that sport since they've been six years old. For me, that's what the Olympics stand for. I mean, when you have these big international stars, you know, you know Simon Biles for example, you know who you know is going to make a fortune. It's come on, you know, you know already she's gonna make more money than you can imagine. And oh here's me. Well yeah, Simon Biles. Yeah, anyway, you know she is going to make a fortune. And the NBA player. I mean, okay, you got Lebron James. Oh boy, he really needs sponsorships, doesn't he. In the meantime, you've got the shot putters. What do you do? What do you do with your life when you've spent your whole life at shot put? Well, you go out and get a job like everybody else does. You're a real human being. So I think there's a big, big difference.
Speaker 1: I really do. Okay, we're done.
Speaker 2: Oh by the way, Neil, what grade do you give you or gone for a moment? What grade do you give The opening closing ceremonies.
Speaker 3: They were French, they were okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, by the way. The Olympics themselves I thought were great.
Speaker 3: I really they were very interesting, very very well. A lot to talk about, looking at you, Australia. But with the whole pop and luck and break dancing.
Speaker 2: Yes, go yeah, no, I that's going to be interesting. I can't wait to see what new events are going to be at the Olympics coming up in twenty twenty eight. Breaking will not be part of it. Really, they took away breaking. Huh they said nope, oh interesting And baseball was there once and you know again, ballplayers professional ballplayers. Yeah, that doesn't do much. That really doesn't to me. We're going to do LA panhandling, Yes, yeah, we're gonna do that. Yeah, you know, gridlock sports. Okay, And now the story is going to be Los Angeles LA the twenty twenty eight games, and who was the It was Marshawn who was the French hair won four goals, that great French swimmer Katie lu Duquet, who did a very good job. All Right, you'll always make fun of me with the names.
Speaker 1: I know that I know.
Speaker 2: And what were we talking about? New Orleans? How I pronounced it nolins New I always mispronounced New Orleans for some reason. It's, uh, that's the way I pronounced it. Go figure, what was the other one? Uh that I am? Well, Simon Biles, Yeah, and I always say gym nasts I do, I do what there was one other one? Uh? And that you pointed out how I completely mispronoun pronounce don't don't know anyway, So much for that I digress. What a shocker. So LA is now going to be in the news because that's where the new uh, where the next summer games are going to be held. The point is that we call it the Summer Games. Do you know They're really not going to be the Summer Games anymore. The Winter Games are going to be the Winter Games. But the Summer Games, well, it's going to be tough, and I'll tell you why. Because there is something that causes people to die and is called the heat, right, extreme heat, and the summer is hot. Now, I know that sounds fairly stupid, but let me tell you what heat stress is. Heat stress is measured in something called the wet globe temperature. You ever heard of that wet globe temperature, Well, that is a big thing when it comes to sports events, particularly the Olympics. It's a combination of heat, humidity, wind speed, sun angled cloud cover. And by twenty fifty, the experts are telling us that heat street stress in almost all the cities in the eastern part of the US are going to shoot past the eighty two point one degree limit of the wet bulb globe temperature, which means it's going to too dangerous.
Speaker 1: It's going to be too hot.
Speaker 2: To hold the Olympics in those cities. There are a huge number of cities that will no longer be able to host the Olympics. Simply because of the wet globe temperature states around the Gulf of Mexico, Florida, eastern half of Texas. That's off the table. The Atlanta Games that were held in nineteen ninety six could never be held again because of the temperature climate change. Eastern China, Beijing and Shanghai, which would be in the running gone. So do we change the timing of the summer Olympics so it doesn't coincide with these peak heat periods. Well, guess what, Sydney Olympics. The two thousand Games were held in September, after the summer. It was September and October. End of September October. The Rio de Janeiro Games in twenty sixteen was held in August, which is the middle of winter in Brazil. That's how they will will pull that off because if they held it actually in the summer. And it's interesting, it's summer to the western world, right, it's our summer that the Games are held, not their summer. You've got cities like London, Oslo, Stockholm.
Speaker 1: They're actually going to be more attractive.
Speaker 2: Because they will be able to stomach this because you got as climate change in the world gets warmer. You know, you've got cities way up north that are going to do pretty well. Noma, Alaska will be very nice to hold the Summer Games. Barrow, Alaska, which is the northernmost town two hundred eskimos there. That's Barrel, Alaska. That's gonna be great for the Summer Games. Brisbane is where the Games of twenty thirty two are set. And that's northern Australian state of Queensland. And it gets so hot in the summer that it's going to hold the Summer Games in the middle of its winter because it can just.
Speaker 1: Get insanely, insanely hot.
Speaker 2: More than ten countries have expressed interest in hosting the twenty thirty six Summer Olympics.
Speaker 1: You imagine that's what they do.
Speaker 2: They go out about ten years, ten twelve years is when they select. And it used to be that cities would just say no. After the Montreal Olympics, after Beijing, I mean, everybody's just losing their shirts.
Speaker 1: And as I've said over and over.
Speaker 2: Again, one of the most fascinating aspects of the modern Olympics.
Speaker 1: Is there exactly two twice.
Speaker 2: The Olympics have made money twice in nineteen thirty two, both in Los Angeles and then the other cities have lost their shirts up to including astronomical amounts of money that are almost impossible to figure out. It's said that Beijing spent sixty billion dollars. But it was their coming out party two. They wanted to establish themselves as a world power. So pardon me. Six cities have made their bids public official. In India, I've met the bad No one's ever heard of that. In Indonesia, Neu Santrara or Nusantra by the way, no one's heard of that because it's a new capital that's under construction. Qatar is pitching Doha. Turkey is bidding Istanbul. I would go to that because Istanbul is one of the great great great cities to visit in the world. Poland Chile are putting forward their capitals, and all of them have to look at the heat stress limit. According to this organization called a Carbon Plan, it's a nonprofit think tank. Only Santiago is below the threshold, by the way, year round for the summer Olympics. So how hot you think it's going to be, Well, it's going to be hot Beijing if it comes back because a lot of cities want to come back for the third time. Paris was the first game's Modern Olympics considered where the Olympic the traditions were established. I mean the game's eighteen ninety six when the modern Olympics were started, But it was really Paris nineteen hundred where it all came to fruition. Beijing couldn't do it at all, Okay, Athens, Rome, Atlanta, Tokyo, Soul wouldn't work, Barcelona wouldn't work. The twenty twenty Games in Tokyo and they were held in twenty twenty one because of the pandemic, the hottest on record, way above the safety threshold, and in Tokyo about one or one hundred athletes actually suffered heat related illnesses. Did you know that? So we're gonna get the games, it's gonna be hotter than hell. Streets are going to Oh that's the other thing. Karen Bass called for no cars on the streets, No cars for you. She wants public transportation. Neil, if you want to go to the Games, any of the events, you're going to be taking the metro new you're going to be taking here it is, here's the event your life in your hands event, And yeah, it's going to be very very interesting, to say the least. All Right, now, a bill has just been introduced in the Senate California Senate Senate Bill six ' ten wants to repeal current rules that classify state and local lands into moderate high, very high hazard severity zones. Wants to get rid of the classifications. Right now, we have classifications that that tell us our property is either in a moderate, high or very high hazard area. Well, this is a legislative proposal to overhaul that completely and re shape the fire the housing policies deal with development and fire prone areas. The problem is that they're all fire prone area now. And what this does is empowers the state Fire Marshal to designate lands, not the local authorities to designate lands as quote wildfire mitigation areas. There would be no more tiered system. It's not moderate or high or low risk. It's now wildfire mitigation areas which the state Fire Marshal will designate and the rules will now attached to that. Now, in reality, is a lot going to change. Well, this is why there's such a debate. First of all, I always look at people, I always look at who backs up these bills, and this one is the developers, California Building Industry Association, the Housing Action Coalition, the MB Action folks. Yes, in my backyard folks.
Speaker 1: The other folks that are against.
Speaker 2: This bill are the firefighters themselves that like it the way it is. And I think that this one makes sense to me, and I'll tell you why. One of the fears is it's going to take away from local powers, policing powers, and the state is going to take it over, and we want to keep local control. Well, let me tell you about local control in terms of building and policy and getting zoning. You talk about how much more influence you think a big builder has in local politics than in the state. And the state Fire Marshal is going to designate where these areas are and what the mitigation has to be. By the way, that's not going to change. We're still going to see the same thing. We can't have wood roofs, and you have to have two hundred feet of space before vegetation kicks in, and you have to do all the stuff you have to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's not going to change.
Speaker 2: What it is going to do is simply give the state Fire marshal the power to make the decisions, because right now it's the state fire marshal for state lands. Local county LA has its own designation in terms of the severity of the where the possibility of fire areas where the damage is most going to occur. And then the other situation is and I've heard this all the time from people. Dean Sharp talks about this, and it makes a lot of sense when you talk about fire mitigation. The two hundred feet area, the roofs, the fence that the embers don't come in, that's all for embers. If there is a fire coming in the kind that we see and it's sweeping.
Speaker 1: Through, there isn't anything anybody can.
Speaker 2: Do about that except get the hell out of there. All the fire mitigation on the planet is not going to help, and so there's only so much we can do. And frankly, how many of us do what we should do well? And what do the city's enforce or not enforce. I mean, when's the last time you saw the fire marshal come out and check out your yard to see if you have a two hundred feet of clearance. And I'm in the hills, there are trees all over the hills where I'm at in Big Bear.
Speaker 3: They do do they Yeah, Big Bear A couple times a year they come out and they contact us if it's not what they want to see, and then we need to trim them back or do whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only time I can remember doing that is when I first moved in and there was sort of grass before I built the house, there was grass and vegetation, and I do remember at that point the fire marshals coming out saying, got to take care of it. And I gave the guy a couple hundred dollars and he mowed the lawn for me, and it all worked out. And ever since then, I've never mowed a law in my life, Neil, I wasn't going to start then. Okay, never have I mowed a lawn, and I'm very proud of that. So when I was a kid, no, let me put it this way. When I was a kid. You know how you have chores to do as a kid, Well, one of my chores was watching the gardener mow the lawn. All right, I'm want to tell you a story about a woman by the name of Leona Helmsley.
Speaker 1: You probably don't know her name, but she is a billionaire.
Speaker 2: Her husband created the Helmsley hotel chain. He dies and leaves it to her, and she ran it. And she was a psycho bitch of the first water. For example, she had a habit. And this is not shtick. I'm not making this up. What she liked to do is fire employees on Christmas Eve. She did that on a regular basis. Merry Christmas. She outscrewed Scrooge. The other thing she did is in her will, she set aside twelve million dollars for her Maltese trouble a little dog, twelve million dollars for the dog.
Speaker 1: Okay, now can a dog inherit?
Speaker 2: No? A dog is property. It's not a person. Dogs are property, not food, except in certain Asian countries. Dogs are friends, but they are property, which means that the all you can do is actually set up effectively a trust for your dog's care after you die. And this has to do people dying and literally directing someone to take care of your dog and here or your pet. Here is some money to do that. Now, the wealthy can do it in a trust. I mean you can do it too, but that's kind of crazy setting up a trust for the benefit. What you do is you at least aside some money, leave it to a friend and say this is to take care of the pet, and how much money you put aside. If you put too much away for that, what ends up happening is the heirs are going to attack it and go, that's too much money to the dog. That's what happens in helm That's what happened in Helmsley's case. You put twelve million dollars aside, and her errors came back and said twelve million dollars are you crazy? This is a dog and it's gonna die in three years, and so the judge reduced it to two million dollars.
Speaker 1: Ten million dollars went back to the estate.
Speaker 2: And the number of people who are doing this, I mean is crazy making. There is a company called Trust and Will. It's estate planning service internet based. Nine out of ten customers who owned pets named pet guardians.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty three, Nine out.
Speaker 2: Of ten made provisions for their pet to be taken care of. And that's especially important if you have a pet that lasts a good long time. I mean, if you've got an older dog. Yeah, okay, fine, it's gonna be dead in a year.
Speaker 1: But let's say a tarantula. You know those can live for decades.
Speaker 2: Did you know that if you happen to have a parrot, those are around for sixty years. If you happen to have a galopicos tortoise, for example, as a pet, it's gonna be around two hundred years after you die, and someone's got to take care of them. And so what do you do? Just let the galopicos tortoise out in the street, You just dump it and let it roam around.
Speaker 1: No, no, you got to take care of it.
Speaker 2: And there are shelters actually now that encourage pet owners to include pets in their wills. Now again, you can't leave a pet money. Think of it this way. A pet legally is like a garden nome. It is simply a piece of property that is owned by someone. Now, there are the equivalent of custody battles out there, and those, by the way, those are the most vicious ones of all. I talked to divorce lawyers, and they give you stories of how horrible people are. Forget child custody that doesn't come close to pet custody. And so someone dies, You die, and you say, I want out of my will X number of dollars to take care of my pet, and please give it to Frederica over there. And by the way, so Fredrika gets the money, nothing stops her from grabbing the money and just going to Las Vegas with it and letting the you know, taking the pet over to the shelter, a kill shelter. Even say here, you take care of it. But people don't do that. Well. Look today today we travel with our dogs and cats. We go to hotels that are pet friendly. I mean there never used to be a pet friendly hotel when I years and years ago. Now hotels are vye for pets. Look at the amount of money we spent on dog food. I mean that's crazy, especially the dog foods. And by the way, I do the same thing somewhat here. Who is nuts about that? As far as I'm concerned. You go to Costco, you get the two hundred pound bag of kibbles, you throw it at the dog and go you don't like it too bad, you know, go out and eat some grass. Oh no, no, no, we've got to do it right. We have to have the food that's made fresh and it's human grade food. I mean, in the real in reality, if you look at real beef on any of those bags the kibble, let me tell you about the parts of the real beef that they put in there, right, Neil.
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's not the you know, the high end stuff that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: It's not even at the high end of the cow or the pig.
Speaker 3: It's the stuff that they don't even want to put in hot thugs.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: So anyway, that's what they're doing it, and it's just getting to be huge. I mean, this is a story that this this pole just the survey just came out and it is far more prevalent than anybody thought. So you can't leave money for your pet, but you can leave money to take care of your pet and make sure you leave it to someone you trust, because everybody I'm thinking of would immediately take the money and upscond and my pet's still going to rot someplace. KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.