Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to another episode of Elixir Mix, again this week without Charles so I'm such a wolf. And this week on the panel we have Adie Ainger and Alan Weymore. Hello, I hope I pronounced about the name's bob right. This week we actually gonna pick a topic from Twitter. Like, so a while ago, I asked on Twitter what's something people would be interested in and to hear about in Alix Mix, and Kevin Stingen basically asked us to talk about Elixir is a general purpose language for aka, how to convince people that alix heir is not this niche thing you only reach for when you have like these super specific concurrency issues, but that it's actually something you can use it the same way like for people reach for rails for example, and then you can go from there. And just before we started recording, we considered talking about this, and then we also thought, okay, let's look at like Phoenix for example, because Phoenix is something you can get productive with quite easily, and I'd like to hear like your thoughts on that. Adia, Like when you started with Felix, You're like, how was the story there? If you like jump into Phoenix for example, right away, And how did it feel for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Alexa For me, actually it's my first professional like coding job was an Elixir luckily. And yeah, I think that like kind of statement should be enough in terms of how general purpose, how easily accessible it is. I didn't hadn't really have to touch the OTP, the gen server pod or any any kind of a TV stuff for like a while. I did start with plugs at that time. Phoenix was like still I think I don't know if one point it was out at that time, but my first Elixir app was like just a plug based back end API and again just how plug looks pretty straightforward to right use. And they right away had support for Cowboy as well, so was again pretty easy to follow along with the documentation and just get us. We're up and running within a couple hours. So yeah, I had a very pleasant experience for the Elixir.
Speaker 1: And so you said that you didn't have a lot of things to do with OTP at that point in time, Like, was that like anything specific in that first app you learned Elixir with, like where you then at some point reached for OTP, And is it like a story there to be told or rather than.
Speaker 2: There is definitely a story there. The app was actually replacing a small functionality of a huge rails app, and that small functionality was something that the CTO of my company at that time envisioned to you know, kind of be more scalable, and it was an experiment for us to try writing that in Elixir, and initially we didn't do any OTP, but the first thing that we did was just adding tasks to that, and then this experiment pool boy and everything. But it matured to a point where we had investigated infrastructure. We had it in a place where you know, we didn't. They not only had a great amount of concurrency with different workers doing different things, but we had we also were spinning in temporary infrastructure like a super server in Google Cloud where I think I think it was like what one hundred and twenty eight gigs of RAM temporarily to process a huge again without giving a lot of business information, a huge chunk of data. And yeah, it became a pretty crazy app by twenty nineteen. But yeah, the first iteration of that untwenty fifteen was just a simple plug resserver lo concurrency nothing, well, each request was concurrent, but yeah, besides that there was no OTP whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty similar to to my personal experience. Like I mean I didn't start from plug, but I jumped right into Phoenix when I when I first used flixir at my previous employer, where also like a first contact with Filixir, right, and there were also like beginning just had like this Phoenix app and if you have any point written some kind of back end code like be create rails, be it like PHP larravel. A lot of things feel very familiar. So you you all this OTP stuff at that point feel it's a lot like magic, and but you don't have to use it, like to just write an endpoint and to just get i don't know, like a response back to the user. So I feel like there's a lot of a lot to be said about the ease of onboarding there and like not having to to jump the gun on all the maybe more uncommon and maybe more weird outip things the Beam offers, which is super powerful but can be quite confusing for newcomers. Right, definitely, Like Alan, do you do you have like any any story you'd like to share about how your first contact possophilis here? And like what you did with it.
Speaker 3: That's a good question. I'm trying to think of what my first interaction was. I think I may share the same interactions most people were. You kind of keen and from the Phoenix side in that, like you didn't get too much exposure to OTP when you're using Phoenix, because a lot of stuff is kind of abstracted from you. Like even I'm thinking about like when I'm first looking at the application ex file that gets created and it's not super clear like what's going on. You just have a bunch of stuff we see that gets started up, but you don't really understand exactly what's going on. You don't really see like the endpoint all these kind of things and coming from rails, like I think most people did that. I didn't really think too much about a lot of things. I just kind of try to keep things, yeah, just just in line. I mean when I started speaking, that was way back we had like the web folder that was outside of the lib folder. If you remember that, that was a long time ago, that was I think, yeah, yeah, so I think I came in about one point two or something, and yeah, so it was a it was a different time back then.
Speaker 1: Also, you had like, what was it?
Speaker 3: It was weird, like you didn't have a schema, right, you had something else like a model models.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was actually models. It wasn't controls and templates.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, and I remember like a lot of one of the things that a lot of people in the Alica community who did not come from RAILS community didn't like, was said, why are we calling the schema's models? So then we then I saw Phoenix moving away from that. I think one point three that that's what introduced the bounded contexts, right, the context modules that don't know well.
Speaker 3: I mean the part is that actually made it more approachable for me at least because I did understand NBC and they were really pushing MBC at that time, I think, like with the different folders, so that that was much easier for me. And so I didn't really get too into OTP for some time. I had to spend time outside and just kind of look into it. I kept hearing about TP, and then I just had to go through like Sasha Sasha's book, a Little OTP book. These two books for sure were definitely my early intros to it, and then I could started to seeing it there's definitely some powers over here. Also, Dave Dave's book from prag Prog was also really good too, Like the fact that I could spin off a bunch of like asynchronous processes. Thought that was super powerful, like these things, so like it took some time for me to really get into, you know, what I wanted to do. And after spending quite a bit of time like getting into it, then I started actually adding it to projects for things like I had to process webbooks and you had to return a sponsor this response with a certain amount of time. So initially that was actually synchronous, and they started taking longer and longer, and then finally we said, okay, let's try to spin off this as a process and let's just return immediately. And that definitely was amazing. It was crazy, like because we went from like a couple of seconds to like now like was it like seventy two? Like that U symbol was that microseconds?
Speaker 1: So that was microseconds?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that was super powerful. And then like we had this third party, so we got a WebBook. Then we had to ask them, like what happened? So we're working with Strava. Strava would send us a webook saying, hey, this user has an activity, and then we would reply back, hey, tell me more about the activity, and Strava would actually fall apart. It would just like die whenever we asked them. And so that actually brought us into another stage of OTP where if it failed, let it, we let it crash, then we just retry it. And we actually built in like a retrit mechanism too. So it was also super helpful because they were experiencing a lot of growth issues at the time, so it's really a gradual process to me that just like adding this layer, adding that layer, So it wasn't very overwhelming, but at the same time, like because of the approachability of Phoenix, especially at that time to where I was come from, it was really straightforward, I think for the most part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a very common story. Right. You start off with like air quote, just the web app, and then you at some point say, okay, I would like some background processing, like this thing over here it takes too long. Let's let's move into the background. And then like if you would be using raids, but you would reach for something like sidekick, but then alix here. Then then then OTP and like obstructions built on top of that just in reach right, and you can then then go very naturally transition into okay, how exactly is this supposed to work? And what can I use here? And what guarantees does this give me and explore basically what what OTP provides you very very gently from from there.
Speaker 3: I think the the funny thing now is like, okay, you would reach for sidekick. There was a sidekick implementation in a lixture and then people said, okay, you don't need that. But now it's funny like we're almost reaching for another sidekick nowadays, Like the open library not to knock an open orban is fantastic, right, but it's funny that actually now we're back to doing something similar, although now you don't have to actually add in another dependency. You don't have to add in like reddis. You just work off the same database. That's the nice part. But as it's taken like, it's kind of funny, like we're necessarily almost full circle, right, It's like, okay, you don't need sidekick, or so you don't need reddis. Okay, you don't need like a background managing tool for background processes. You could just split up a process, use a supervisor, and now it's like, okay, now let's just farm it out to open.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of like full circle again. Yeah, I think you can a bit of a bit of observe like the development in the community there, because I mean, Open is great if you have persistent jobs right degreat but which should survive a restart of your app. But sometimes that's not something you need. And the beginning, I think a lot of people were like, oh, otp and but that's cool, like what can we do with it? And I mean the other folks will probably say like it's an old app, but for the Elixi community it was like, hey, maybe we don't need all that other stuff we we used in our programming language. Let's try to do it all like in the VM itself. But now that a bit of time has passed, I guess it makes sense that that you have now a solution like Open, which has okay, like sometimes you really want this persistent qube sometimes you really want these persistent jobs. And while you might why, there might be solutions to doing that in the side of a VM, it's just quotes simpler to use a database. You're probably already using I guess it tells a story about like the Elixi community maturing and trying to do a bit of the simplest thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, yeah, I do. I really like the fact that oban has become like the standard these days. Whenever I have tried use OTP within the application, I am in distorber state of jobs. It has always it's been hard to manage that, especially with like crashes and stuff. It's a lot easier to think of your data as separate from your app. But I'm not saying it's not possible, and airline is built for that, but it's just easier to manage things, you know, and like it won't conflict with your infrastructure and how you deploy and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, it reminds me. I think it's like in the book of such a Urk there's like this this table about like what what you need for example, to one like a web server and like persistence and so on and so forth, like in like a language like Ruby or Python or whatever, and it's like, okay, you have to be ins like web server will be for example, and the will we land will be like how is it called kuma?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And then you have rails for the web app, and then you have read is for like the QUE, and you have postcors for persistence, and then you have engine X for like web routing and so and so, and then there's like this table on the other side. Like, while it's a bit tang in j there is some truth to that that I think it's interesting to see, like how the community pushes in that direction. And so it makes sense that in the beginning you had a bunch of job ques which we did all inside of the VM because like, hey, this is like a direction the community tends to push because it reduces complexity. Less dependencies means less complexity. But yeah, like I said before, sometimes you really want these persistent jobs, and then it's good to have an optimism in a project like Oburn, which I think has been a godsend for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: For sure. Yeah, I agree, I have Remember, I feel like I don't know if the susproduction or not. I do remember using debts for a more persistent QUE. We were already using the online term storage, and that the disc based online term storage was something I remember exploring. I'm not sure if it was in production for too long. At all because we moved to Oban very quickly after that, but which just made our life a lot simpler.
Speaker 1: So was that's something like you you home brewed in your company, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we already had a job processing thing that was already half baked. We were using a gens will attract that, and then we realized, oh we and as what became more complicated, we needed like more like table like infrastructure, right, and then we switched TOTS and then we realized, oh, we need this to prosist beyond the application crashes and whatnot. So then we moved to debts and then I'm like, wait, there's a new thing, call oh man. And I want to say that we did have debts for some time in production, but very little's probably like a month or so. But it wasn't much of an effort to move from already implemented you know ETS two.
Speaker 1: Yes, like for our listeners to get like ets like this recording term storage. We mentioned it in a few past episodes, but it's basically like an in memory key value table, and debts is basically left the same thing, but that saves the contents on a file on disc. So then you actually can have resistance across restarts of app. Just in case somebody is not familiar with it. We can like blink to the dogs, I guess in the show.
Speaker 2: Great. The best part about it is that you get to use this amazing query look up language. I'm not sure if you've tried, yes, I.
Speaker 1: Have, amazing wouldn't have been the adjective I'm using there.
Speaker 2: I was definitely I was definitely been sarcastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there are some some helpers there, right, like this fun too an ass which is like fun to matches back, so they basically pass it like a function. And then it's like somehow automatically powerises these these guards or these pattern matches to specify. Like that's a lot better already. But the match specs interesting. Let's just say that I have written some I've written some simple match specs are okay, but that's as soon as it gets like even remotely complex. It's even worse than regular expressions.
Speaker 2: Agree percent.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it just just to reiterate, I feel like there is a very natural transition to say, okay, I want to start like my web project, right, and I just use Phoenix and then I write some controllers and then I write some code here and sometimes maybe some active I have a database and I don't have to care about ODP. But as soon as you like want to step out of that that I'm not sure, like that the safe zone like this the sandbox, then then OTP is there, like it allows you to like reach for things beyond this air quotes simple and easy Phoenix stuff. And I must say, like my personally, my experience has been very very positive there, because I mean I remember trying to step out of like this safe zone in other languages, like be they back end or even like front end code, and then I feel like the experience is often that that you bump into like weird walls and weird edges like you didn't expect to bump into because like then suddenly tried to do things outside of the scope of the framework, right, and then things become very very hard all of a sudden without especially like when you try to like do this for the first time and they don't really understand why things don't work as you might expect them to. I very much remember, like my very first web app was actually PHP thing with like Laravel, and then we wanted to send like a push notification and to a bunch of users, and like I was like looking at this, and I was like thinking, okay, I'd like to do that in the background, right because it might go through like thousands and thousands of devices. And suddenly I was like, looking, Okay, then you have like they have to start this demon which like handles your bag PHP background process, And I was like, what the fuck? Why is this so hard? And yeah, I feel like at least in that in that context, Elixir gives a very more and more streamlined and a more simple solution to do these these common issues without you having to like really grog or all the things. And one interesting thing I know for myself there was as soon as like I got like a basic understanding of OTP, I could also very much appreciate about, Okay, how it does phoenix actually work? Right, Like how you have one process per request? Yeah, and like I feel like all the pieces like snack together. So that's pretty pretty interesting and like something I have not yet experienced in the same fission in a different technology stack, but maybe like my MIC, maybe something like that will pop up at some time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, totally, Yeah, it's actually cowboy if I want to say, I think Cowboy itself.
Speaker 1: Every public quest is a probably.
Speaker 2: Its own process, which is I think Veena's just like piggybacks off of that, which is yeah, pretty awesome. Yeah, I mean, yeah, totally right about again the point you made about before diving into it to be And I mean there's also Alixir as a community has so many cool I mean we're not even gonna we haven't even touched nerves yet. But like something as simple as like the embedded elixa engine, right that is so powerful, like it can just power you anything you want to template. Like here's an example. Right before I did any little any I met it a very little OTP, but like before I dealt into OTP, I wrote this DevOps like app. It basically sets up a Linix ra Mac with like all the tools I want, you know, I used to him the terminal I want, zoom and whatever. It just and using Alix for stuff like that. It's little looks weird, but it was so easy to do that because of embedded Alixir. Writing shared templates is so easy to do and it looks with such an accessible language. You have to figure out how to install it first, But once you install Alexa. Once you got it running in a nice script, it's very powerful because it's interfaces like so idiomatic, right, Like it's it's so easy to use, like most of the libraries and the language.
Speaker 1: Itself, the tooling and the tooling is just superb.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I feel like the onboarding experience and Elix here, like even like just going through the guides on the Elixir website drops you off at a point where, at least for me I might personally where you feel relatively comfortable, like tackling your first Elixir like not not really like diving into like like I like writing like website from scratch, right, but like really okay, I feel like I know enough to be productive to actually build something, And that I think that tells a story where about where ALIXI comes from, right, I mean just look at where what Jose did before Elixir, Like he was very very active in the Ruby community, and Ruby has this mantra and like this reputation and we're very well earned reputation about being approachable and about being easy to pick up and like focusing on developer happiness. And you really see this in elix heir that they did a lot of these the same ideas have evolved to a certain degree, but also went into the design of this language and the design of the tooling and the design of your onboarding experience and while still learning for maybe is like some of of things which haven't worked out that nicely in the Ruby community, because I mean a lot of people who do Elixir come from Ruby. That's just a very natural transition, and at least in Ruby, sometimes you have a situation where if you have a very big money which evolved over time, then you have obvious like different parts which like magically touched each other, and then it becomes very hard to reason about things. And that's like something I think you can see in Elixir, where like Jose, but very very very deliberate design decisions to avoid some of these pitfalls.
Speaker 2: So yeah, totally. I think one of the things that I guess I'm again being in a more and more of a unique place where I actually did Elixir before Ruby on Rails delivered my production app and Elixir before I did Ruby on Rails stuff. I didn't even Phoenix before Rails.
Speaker 1: The same there, I also have hadn't done Ruby before awesome. I cannot tell us like you don't know shit.
Speaker 2: But what I what I really felt is, I mean, yes, Elixir and Phoenix did feel like magic still to some extent, but a lot less magic than Ruby on rails, like you have that endpoint dot ex, you still have the application dot ex, you still have the user channel dot ex. Even though you don't need to use that code, no one touches it ever, you can. You still have this more explicitness in the interface. Also, I think by design and Elixir too, like there you can do a lot of The meta program is very powerful, but it restricts you from doing things that you shouldn't do, for example, opening up a class and defining functions that are not defined in it right like rail stands and all the time. And the only the craziest thing you can do is like use the on definition hook the compile time hook and you know, do something there. But even with that, it restricts you from defining or creating a new function.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I just wanted to say, like on definition callback is actually very interesting because like it's deliberately like when you write it, it's deliberately a function you have to write. You can't write a macro there, so you can't inject code there you can only like I don't know, like track something like. That's a very very deliberate design decision because I think all the other complex compilation callbacks are all macros only the un definition is a function and probably just to avoid this exactly this kind of magic behavior which would otherwise be very hard to wrap your head around.
Speaker 2: Totally. Yeah, I think the before compiling after compel can be both both macros and functions, but you're right on definition, it can only be a function.
Speaker 1: So that's like a very interesting dedesign tidbit.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's probably also something like you can see that somebody has made this decision probably because they have been burned by something working differently before.
Speaker 2: Right right, exactly, I think the whole if you look at the Elixir proposals groups, school groups, you can see how protective people are of like bad patterns in the community. Like a lot of times, if you suggest something that could be potentially off, you don't have to wait to see Jose's opinion, like so many others just bounds off and like oh what about this? What about that? And it's just it's a very very positive involved community that's you know, Jose has managed to create your Jose and everyone else like where there's so many people who are just like inherently care about the language enough to actively monitor Google groups even without being in the Lexa core team, which is quite amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with one. Yeah, I think it's it's like an interesting balance which has been which Alixi has been striking, like where you can get productive relatively quickly. I've seen that happen. I've seen that happen with colleagues picking up alixit very first time, and like a lot of people are like, oh, it's a functional language. I'm not sure how productive I will be. But if you drop them into like a Phoenix project and then tell them, hey, go through the who were getting started guys of elix here, and then just look at the code and you figure things out. My experience has been that people become a lot quicker productive than they might have expect expected initially just by this being a functional language. And yeah, I mean then we said that that you have this natural transition about Okay, now I want to reach for something more. I want to do background processing, and and they're the indexit community is also very helpful, like if you just ask a question, the Alixi firm people will will very quickly give you an answer and help you figure things out. So yes, it's an interesting, interesting balance which I think may the core team and the community is striking between okay, easy to onboard, but still powerful if you want it to be. One thing I wanted to say, like earlier when we talked about Phoenix, is I agree that like Phoenix can feel a lot quite some quite magic when you when you begin with it. But what I found is when you then started to pull back the curtain right the next okay, well what's actually happening beneath all that magic? It's not a lot to be honest. I mean, you have like the plug pipeline, then you have to grop okay, what's actually a plug? And like how does that work? And like how how do these like plug macro and so and so forth work? But at the end of the day, it boils down to being a list of like modules plugs and then being invoked one after the other. And even like you're router and like your controller are plugs underneath, right, So if you look at it and like find out, okay, well how does this actually work? There is not that much magic to untangle to find out, hey, okay, this is this is what happens, which I found very very surprising when when I first did that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, yeah, everything is plugs, as a correct way of explaining it, like up your riter is a plug once as soon as it gets to the router, once get to the endpoint, it is a sequence of plugs. Even the rendering a view happens in a plug. If you actually inspect your connection in after like a request test and after the controller test, it will have a Phoenix uh plugs attribute on it and it will show some underscoring to score Phoenix views something like that, and that it's responsibility to render the view. It's actually pretty awesome. I'm going to use this as a shameless.
Speaker 1: Plug for my book, which pun intended.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shamous plug.
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if people think Phoenix is magic, like I did a while ago, I'm actually currently working on a book with packed publications which teaches you how to build your own web framework and Alixir. Again. I've already talked about it once before on this podcast, but just wanted to give that make that again plug again, so I'll keep you guys posted how it's coming.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, maybe you can just drop a link into the show notes also if people want to check it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually I'm not sure if there's a link. We've only worked okay, I'm just trying to I'm just trying to create a little bit of for that.
Speaker 1: Let me know if it likes, becomes available and I'll certainly take a look at it. Yeah, anything else, like we can talk about here, anything else, but like any stories left to tell.
Speaker 2: I mean we have essentially touched everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean maybe one thing left. The one thing we can talk about is that I feel like just by the nature of like runtime all in the end, and like all the good work which has been which has went into like ODP and laying and like being as performant and like as resilient as it is, and you have this relatively straightforward on boarding experience and starting to write your app. But then at some point, like if you actually, like if you build like a startup and your product becomes successful, right Alixir and the runtime especially is there to like scale with you, And I feel like, while of course you can also scare of different technologies. I mean just look at GitHub for example, which is still using rails to this day and very successfully so, but at least from what I've seen, is that elixir can push you a lot further with less effort when compared to maybe like some more traditional technologies, and like that's that's a very powerful combination, right, I can start off relatively easy, of course, not as easily as rails, and like the thora of like gems in there, so that's certainly not not a position ex years in yet. But if you stick to the well worn in the well known path, then you can go very far, very quickly. And when you come into position where you actually have to to scale and they actually have to handle different load scenarios than the beam, and all the tools there are in your reach, and can I can help to achieve these goals without maybe some of the growing pains which which usually come in such a scenario.
Speaker 2: That's very well said. Yeah, Elixir with less effort will help you get a lot further than something like ribons. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, So this was like a little fun story like tangantially related to that, as like a former colleague of mine had this like little small elixir app running in production for a while for personal project, right, and then at some point he just found out that sometimes there was some some load spikes which like crashed a few things, but like they only found out like months later when he looked at the logs because then OTP just restarted everything. So that was like a nice little experience for him, like seeing, okay, like in a different scenario, will probably have to handle you have to jump the gun. They have to I don't know, astations to the server and like restart things yourself and like maybe set us on monitoring and like make sure that things get restarted effet crash and like OTP just did that all of that for him, and he didn't even notice until he looked at the laws. So just to give like a one little story where the runtime really delivered on some of its promises. And so yeah, if some of our listeners, like I have not did used elixir or like feel like I don't know, like I don't want to lose elixir. Elixir is like an overkill for this ad, just give it a try. And there's also like a actually I'm going to share that on the in the in the show notes, theres like a super interesting article from engineer at Spotify where they like wrote an Elixir service like as a prototype thing for for some of some internal metrics application which like gathered data and gathered metrics from a lot of other services inside of their their infrastructure, and like he tells this interesting story also about how he used some performance tooling by the Beam because he found out that the Elixir prototype had like a bottleneck. And he found that out very very quickly actually by by the tooling given for prove Beam, and then at some point he like put that into production and then like I don't know, devor redirected like some percentage of a traffic to this prototype. Like the thing didn't even break as wet, so he just spent like full full on crazy mode and just like redirected all traffic to this to this prototype, and that part just happily chucked along, like it just did it strong and the like the former thing they had running there was like a super high performance to Java thing, which like really like a lot of very smart people spend time on like making it as performed as possible, and then just the sky comes along it like writes this ELIXI prototype like the first time writing Elixir and then fixes with one performance bottleneck and boom. That just works. So I feel like that tells that tells you a lot about how far the run time can push you, even if you don't feel comfortable with a lot of the intiquity details of ODP. So I'm going to link that in the show notes because I feel like that that might help a lot of people like maybe jump jump the gun and like to try it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a very very good story, Sasha reading that article. Yeah, one thing I do think, just as a negative one thing, I mean, I think we've talked about quite a bit, just that would really make it look so amazing would be obviously the a good type system.
Speaker 1: Oh boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's also a very good segue to the shout out for our next podcast. It's going to be I think it's the next one we're gonna have Louis Pilford, I think next the next podcast, the creator of Glean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's trying to bring an aesthetic type system to the Beam and I'm very very curious to hear his thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah too.
Speaker 1: Okay, I guess we can wrap it up here, or is there anything else you'd like to talk about, Addie? All right, then, let's go to picks. So, Addie, is there anything you'd like to pick for us this week?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a very It's a relatively simple blog post, but it's very effective. It's written by one of my co workers, Hassan is his name, and it's a very cool blog post. Ratio is how you can split Phoenix router into multiple modules in a more manageable way. It's important to I think at least read that because I think I know with the rails background, Phoenix rounders can tend to get huge and less manageable. So I would encourage people to give that a read that The link will be in the description.
Speaker 1: Ye. Nice, I don't have any specific picks this week. I've been very busy, like the past week with a lot of things which have been going only in Germany because in my part of Germany, nor from Australia, there have been floods last week, like insane floods, like floods of a level which has not been seen before. In a lot of houses in my neighborhood went underwater and which we were so I spent a lot of time like helping neighbors, like just throwing away stuff from their cellar which work completely underwater, and I just like to use this opportunity to say, hey, the climate change is something which like affects all of us, and they're a lot of good work happening like in various organizations like Greenpeace or so on and so forth, and I just like as to ask every listener to like maybe have a chat with with parents, with folks they like to consider client change when the next time they go to the voting booth, because like very in September, there's like voting happening in Germany as an election, the general election, and if we have any listeners from Germany, I'd like to like say, okay, just remember that things like this flood is it's just going to become more common the further we go on the climate chain scale. So I'd like to consider this the next time. I'd like to like to ask you to consider this next time you cast a vote. That's That's all I'd like to say.
Speaker 2: Probably speak okay, Actually I'm sorry about that. I got one more pick.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: So keeping on the EU theme, there's a look I can't be you happening soon, and I know they're looking for volunteers and if anyone watching this want and delves the conference. I want to see how it feels like you can do it for free if you volunteer. I'm gonna paste the link to the volunteering form in the description as well. But yeah, I'm giving a talk there. By the way, I'm still volunteering. It's I think it's a great way to contribute to the community, to help organizers all these conferences in any way possible, because they work very hard to make sure these conferences go well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Nice, that's a good pick.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, folks, I hope you enjoyed the episode and tune in next time when we come together a flinx