Speaker 1: The right quot.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back, and with it an annual postseason tradition.
Speaker 3: Scammers Back.
Speaker 4: Baby.
Speaker 2: This is sas and Cakes in the.
Speaker 5: A APPA go with Proway.
Speaker 2: Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kates.
Speaker 1: If you want to.
Speaker 2: Talk Dodgers, get in on the show on Ein' six six nine eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app. We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven e LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve Sacks.
Speaker 3: It's a two to one series lead for the good guys. The Dodgers lead the New York Mets after a game three win last night, and it ain't nothing. Shutout at City Field in New York. Walker Bueller fantastic four shutout innings. Four different relievers come in, put up Zeros, Keith k a Hernandez the new Mister October hits a home run early, the Dodgers jump out to a lead, and then a three run home run late from Shoeotani, Max Munsey a deep home run in the ninth inning. He was on base five times, two for two with three walks, and everything went right for the Dodgers last night as they take a two to one series lead. Game four Dodgers Mets, Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. Will get it all started at four pm, First pitch at five oh eight from the Galpamotors broadcast booth. A great pitching matchup with Yoshinobiyamamoto and Jose Kintana coming up tonight in Game four. We'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup coming up with just a little bit. Sean Green's gonna join us in less than thirty minutes. Get his thoughts on this series. Former Dodger, former New York Mets. Get his thoughts on what he's seen so far through three games. As the Dodgers now up two games to one. Game four tonight, David Vasta will join us here in just a couple of minutes. Jose Kintana, the left hander, hasn't given up an earned run in eleven innings so far in this postseason. A left hander has proven to be pretty problematic for Sho Hey, o Tani here in the postseason and this Dodgers team and Nya did it the other day. This is gonna be This is gonna be a tough one for the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is. And you know, especially the role that he's been on. The stat that jumps out at me is the fact that this guy does not give up home runs. The Dodgers do hit home runs. So I'm excited to see you know. Is it the immovable object or the undeniable force. I don't know which one's gonna come through, but it's gonna be a fun thing to watch. Can Tana? How long can you have a point five to seven ERA in your last eight starts and continue that? I don't know how long that can continue, especially when you're facing the elite teams in postseason. He's not gonna face an offense like this, so he'll be exciting to see this tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is a jose Kintana who is no stranger to the big leagues. Guy's been around since twenty twelve, was really good at one point for the Chicago White Sox. Has bounced around a lot since twenty twenty with the Cubs, Angels, Giants, Pirates, Cardinals, and it seemed to have found a home in New York with the Mets and postseason wise, you know, not a lot of experience in the postseason for Jose Kintana, but he's certainly pushed that aside and done very well in his couple of starts in the Wildcard round and the NLDS against the Phillies. The Dodgers will have done okay against him. Over the course of his career, They've seen him, certainly a lot, so this isn't an unfamiliar pitcher they're going to see tonight, and certainly not a guy like Shaman and i I who's reinvented himself and almost become a different pitcher.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, for what he's been doing, I mean, look at his season, it's been exactly what his career has been. It's been a five hundred pitcher with a pretty good era, so a lot of it. You can probably lend to the fact that his teams weren't real prolific in score runs, which kept his you know, his uh, his one and lost record kind of at kind of lukewarm. I mean, his career is one O two and one oh three. I mean, that's it. So he's won as many as he's lost, and that's what it's been. This year. He was ten and ten with the three seventy five his his lifetime careers three seventy four. So it's exactly what the bubblegum card shows you. But for the last eight starts, Tim, this guy has been on fire, and I mean like nobody's full. I mean zero point five seven e ra in his last eight starts. He's not facing the weakest teams either. I mean, so, man, I'll tell you they're gonna have their hands full in the fact that he's left handed. Uh, you know, probably something to say in there where it's gonna put some pressure, Yeah, and maybe try to neutralize the left handed sticks on the on the on the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt. We may not see Gavin Lucks in the lineup tonight against the left hand or we could, but we could also see as Chris Taylor inserted into the lineup, maybe KEYK moves over into the infield and Andy Pai has it's an opportunity in the outfield. They'll be interesting to see what they do with that lineup. Eight sixty six ninety seven two, five seventy, joining us now from New York City. He was up late last night doing a great job on all the postgame activities and Dodger talk. He is the one and only the best insider out there, and he's our Dodger insider, the one and only. David Vesta, David, good morning.
Speaker 5: I'm just a man, Tim.
Speaker 3: Just a mere mortal. We understand that we appreciate you, though, Dave, last night things if you could have drawn it up any better, I don't know if you could have the way the Dodgers got the fore innings from Walker Buehler, the great bullpen pitching, Key k Hernandez the new Mister October, and then some home runs late. It was drawn up and worked out to a t for the Dodgers last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really was.
Speaker 5: And I just thought early in the game the Dodgers had a lot of opportunities that they weren't able to cash in. They had the bases loaded with only one out, did not get anything, and for Key k to come up number one. You know, Steve, you know this. Players always tell me it's not about the home run, It's about what happened before the home run, and what happened before key K's home run in the sixth inning was Tommy Edmond coming up with a big two out base hit to keep the inning alive, and then Reed Garrett had you know, it seemed like the game was speeding up on him, and he boked Edmund to second base, And obviously that's an advantage if a runner is able to relay any signs to the hitter from second base, which is very much in between the lines. Okay to do. And then key K hits a home run off of rig garrett split fingered fastball, the first time this year anybody has done that. So I thought that was a huge sequence of events. And then for the Dodgers to be able to pile on really rewarded Dave Roberts with the way he managed early in the game because he was betting on his offense to score more runs so he wouldn't have to use more of his high leverage release, so he gets away with only using trying in and coopec last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know about you, Tim, but Dave good to be with you this morning, Tim, you know, talking about you know David back there in New York. Doesn't he look like a kind of a New York guy. He looks like he would blend in very well with very nice crowd. He's you know, he's very handsome guy, well spoken, more sophisticated than most of us, you can you know that?
Speaker 5: And so I think nobody has ever said that about me. It's him.
Speaker 4: Well there, anyway, David, Enough of the enough of that. I wanted to talk about this, uh, this this great thing about the Dodgers. Uh and and the pitch, and of course everybody's talking about it in New York. I got some of my friends calling me from back there. But that breaking ball that Bueller threw to Lindor just kind of set the world on fire for for the Dodgers. Threw it at a very very you know, Chancy time you talk about a guy with some called hoonus, That's what I'm talking about right there. Walker Bueller looks like a guy at the moment and his stock is surging right now, I mean doing it in big time fashion. He's got the swag, he's attacking hitters and his stuff looks fantastic.
Speaker 5: Right And isn't that the difference between last night and what we saw from him in San Diego? That second inning blew up on him in San Diego, and that's been kind of his issue this season where he pitches well but has one inning that goes off the rails, whether it's plays not being made behind him or him not being able to get swing and miss. That second inning could have gone sideways on him. Bases loaded, Francisco Lindor coming up, and he was able to really pitch his way out of that jam by not trying to have his ego get in the way and bully him with a fastball that isn't the same anymore. He was able to do to Lindor what he did all night last night, use his slider, use his curveball, and then have that fastball play up bigger than what it really was. It was ninety three, but because Lindor was seeing a lot of off speed pitches, it just exploded on him. And that was huge for not only the Dodgers, but for Bueller to get out of that jam and you know, not give back to two runs the Dodgers that scored the inning prior day.
Speaker 3: Want to give a little love to Maximunsey for what he did last night. Moved up in the order to the clean up spot five times on base, two for two of the home run, but three walks and you go back to the game before continuing to get on base. He's been a different looking hitter at the plate, a more patient hitter in the box.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Now eight consecutive plate appearances with reaching home runs, walks, and capped off last night's great game with a home run in the top of the ninth inning. So Max Monsey has reached an eight consecutive plate appearances and that's huge for the Dodgers because they need that presence in the middle of the order doing what Max Mounsey does, making the pitch your work, keeping the line moving, and at times doing a lot of damage. So it was really great to see Max. The last couple of games start to look like the monthly of old playoff pasts and for the Dodgers and monthsie, you know, this is a this is what makes the Dodgers lineup that much longer. So yeah, next month, he had a really good game, no doubt.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Uh, David, I want to talk about the other side for a second.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: When Reid Garrett gives up the home run to to Kik, what is it with the smile and the smirk on his face when he's in the dugout looking at the camera. He's acting like this was a big joke. I mean, what is a smile on the smirk about you? Just you just got shoved and he thought it was a joke, thought it was funny. I couldn't. I couldn't believe that attitude. I don't know what that is, the way he deals with it or what, but I thought that was a bit creepy and when that happened, and anyway, I wanted to get your taken on that. But also about Kintana, where is this coming from? The guy's got a point fifty seven era in the last eight starts. You know, he's not facing the bottom of the barrel here in postseas. I can't believe that this guy is just killing it. He's a five hundred pitcher in his career.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's pretty interesting how he has found his old self again with the White Sox. But Steve, if you want me to try to get into the head of Keik Hernandez, number one, that seems very scary.
Speaker 1: And number two, I have no chance of diagnosing what's going on in his head.
Speaker 5: But you know, everything whatever he's doing in that dugout is whatever the reason he's able to perform on this big stage. He has no fear, and you know, he finds a way to go to different places to make this feel like any other game, even though he knows it's it's a huge stage. So he was itching to get into the starting lineup during the NLDS. It's one thing to itch and say you can do it. It's another to back it up, which he has done.
Speaker 1: What did he? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Go ahead? Sorry that no, go ahead?
Speaker 5: No, No, what do you got?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say when now?
Speaker 6: What you got? Saxy?
Speaker 4: When they asked him about you know, you know how you guys doing this, and he says, well, are we being recorded right now? He says, well, because we don't give a blank. You know, I thought that was a great answer. I loved it, all right.
Speaker 5: That's there everything I say now when I walk by him, are we live?
Speaker 1: Are we live? About him?
Speaker 4: What are you going to say about the next guy? Until I rudely interrupted.
Speaker 5: You No, I mean Kintana, Like, I don't understand why he's this good, but I can tell you the Dodgers are really good against lefties, and I could tell you uh, KEYK. Speaking of keyk Hernandez, his first big playoff game was Game five of the twenty seventeen NLCS against the Cubs, and who was starting that game. It was Jose Kintana. So the Dodgers are not intimidated by Kantana a night game as well. For a lefty in this ballpark, he should be human, but he's obviously doing something right. But the Dodgers are doing a lot of things right, and it feels like they have the Mets in a very vulnerable position coming into the game tonight.
Speaker 3: Dave, I want my final thing. I take a step back and looking at this Dodgers team and the way they've played, but certainly the way they're acting and their things they're saying before and after games. This is a team that certainly I feel is playing with a little bit of a chip on their shoulder. And how are they're getting their motivation? I don't know, but to hear Max Munsey, Keith Hernandez, every player last night after this win talk about it's all about us, it's we We're playing for each other. This is a team that has completely bought into each other for this postseason run.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're playing for each other. Like I said a few times before, I've been told that the turning point for the team was a getting together before the first round of the playoffs started and not making it seem like it was a bad thing to have five days off, but turning it into a positive. And b when Walker Bueler had that second inning in San Diego and started to throw things in the dugout and ta Oscar Hernandez hit that Grand Slam, that showed there was something different about this team, and that made this team believe. And after they beat the Padres, quite honestly, they probably feel they could beat anybody because that was right now the toughest roadblock between them and the World Series. And I really don't see any team stopping them. And I'm not just saying that because this is the Dodgers Radio, I travel with the team. It's not because of that. This is the first time since twenty seventeen or twenty twenty that I'm a firm believer that no team can stop the Dodgers on their way to a World championship, even those pinstripe Yankees.
Speaker 4: David, I just wanted to make a comment, and I'll be out is I just wanted to kind of you jump on what you said about this team and something different about the team and whatnot. This team plays like they're a not very Their attitude is like they're not a very talented team and they have to scrap and claw for everything. That's kind of like the attitude I have. This team is so damn hungry and they're talented, which is a really scary thing to behold if you're going against the Dodgers. And we've talked about this earlier in the program today, but since we're on this issue, there's something different about this team. I can't explain it. I can't really point there's too many things to point out. I guess you'd say, but the team wants it extremely bad. And that's that's the biggest thing I see with this team. As great as they are, as hitting home runs, as great as a pitching performances have been, like Walker Bueller did last night, it pales in comparison to what the IT factor is. That it factor on this team is enormous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like the it factor, Steve is the guys that have been here before. Right last night, it was Bueller, was Moncy, it was k k the Dodgers have a really good team. It feels like everybody always talks about who they're playing and gives them a lot of credit, but don't realize that the Dodgers are the team nobody wants to play. And Keith a Hernandez has said this repeatedly. He wants a parade. In twenty twenty, they did not get a parade. They want a parade this time, and it would be the first Dodger parade in downtown LA since Steve Sacks and the eighty eight Dodgers who beat the Mighty Mets right here in New York.
Speaker 4: Wow, it's fitting. It's got to happen.
Speaker 3: David. We appreciate it. Thanks for getting up with us this morning. It's gonna be another long day, but hopefully a day in which the Dodgers take care of business. It could take a three to one series lead in this NLCS. We appreciate it. We'll be hearing from you throughout the day.
Speaker 5: Yep, thanks David, Jeevez Tim I'm not a longshoreman. I'm just going to cover a baseball game.
Speaker 3: I got a great job, David, and you have to do on the station.
Speaker 1: David, we appreciate it all right, guys, thanks, all.
Speaker 3: Right, there he goes David Vesse eight sixty six ninety seven five seven. He will come back and get to more. Your phone called Sean Green will join us. It's a day and what's the Dodgers celebrated Game three win, but have to get right back at it. Game four the NLCS is tonight. Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck will get our coverage started at four pm. First pitch at five toh eight from the Galpum Motors broadcast booth. It's a Dodgers and Mets. Dodgers a chance to take a three to one series lead tonight. Steve Sacks, Tim Kats and you stay and FI seventy ELI Sports, Sax and Kates in the am here on your home with the Dodgers, your home of show. He otani M five to seventy LA sports with you here until nine o'clock. Then it's the Herd with Colin Cowherd. At noon, Rogan and Rodney takeover Petro some Money flex back starting at two Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck will get our coverage started for Game four the NLCS at four pm, first pitch from City Field and the Galpum Motors broadcast booth is coming up at five to eight. Yoshinobiya Momoto and Jose Kintana, the left hander the pitching matchup in this game for the Dodgers a two to one series lead after an eight nothing shutout last night over the New York Mets. Three home runs from the Dodgers, including a three run home run from show Hate O'tani, power the Dodgers to a two to one series win. Sean Green will join us coming up in just a couple of minutes. But I know a lot of Dodger fans waiting patiently, and we appreciate that NASA in Pasadena is next up. Am I saying that right? Nasa or Nissa?
Speaker 1: It's Nissa?
Speaker 3: Sorry about the go ahead?
Speaker 7: Hey, Man just calling in, just lading out of that a Tiasca and Man just had a bad game last night. But I know he's going against King Tana the Latti, and I know he's gonna do some damage today.
Speaker 3: That's hope. So I think ta Oscars do certainly an over performance last night can get back on track. It doesn't need to be just show Hey or Muncie of these guys to get the contribution from everybody. If they can get something from ty Oscar tonight Man, you talk about an added boost of this Dodgers team. This is gonna be a uh, it'll be an interesting game for John and north Ridge. Just next up with Steve Saxon, Tim kase here on a five to seventy. John, How you doing.
Speaker 6: I'm doing good. Thank you guys for taking my call.
Speaker 1: Thank you go ahead.
Speaker 6: I want to give credit to David ass because the first three games versus the Padres, Kik did not play with not on the lineup or anything. And then I guess the next day after the third game, a dessay mentioned Kik we should put him out there. He has a lot of playoff experience. You know, he's going to produce, and now we're talking about him. He's uh, mister October, he's productive and I just want to call it to give him some credit.
Speaker 3: Awesome. I'm sure Dave will appreciate that. Thank you, John. Yeah, it's a I don't think it was a secret though, that Key k Hernandez is a postseason player. I am shocked, and I think Dave was bringing that up constantly earlier in the series. Why is he not getting an opportunity. They went to Andy Pajes when Miguel Loss came out of that game down in San Diego and Ojas couldn't deliver in his two at bats and the Dodgers dropped Game three. And to see Keiky Hernandez in the lineup, I mean, there's some things that you just have to have in October and Keyky Hernandez in a lineup involved somehow in your lineup, whether it's off the bench or starting, it's a must happen. To see what he's doing here. We've talked about the numbers. It's amazing the Keiki Hernanda's name is being mentioned with Luke Garrick and Babe Ruth.
Speaker 4: Well, you know it's it's it's not even a question going forward whether he's going to be in there or not now, because the man has a flare for postseason. I mean, if that's what they write about him when his career is all over here, he had a real penchant for doing something special in postseason. You know what, he'll take it because that's when it really counts. And there is something different about this guy in postseason. You gotta have him in the lineup.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Ryan and Carl's Bad is next up here on a FI seventy LA Sports with Sax and Kates and the AA am I Ryan, Hey, guys.
Speaker 8: Going into the series, you know, going into the playoffs, I was deeply concerned about our starting pitching death or lack thereof, and I've been just blown away by the quality of the bullpen. Walker Buehler was asked about it last night. You know what's going on? How are they able to accomplish this? And he said, I think every guy in our bullpen brings something different, And I wanted to ask you guys, the key to the bullpen success. Is it how we're using how we're deploying the bullpen. Is it pitch sequencing from the guys in the bullpen? Is it you know, our angle the stuff? You know, what are you guys seeing from the bullpen? How are they getting these results that we're seeing which has just been unbelievable.
Speaker 3: All right, I appreciate it. I'll start that off real quick, Sir Zaxy. I think they're all talented arms, but the fact that they don't have assign roles and all of them have bought into this. Whoever it gets called, go out there, do your job, and then the next guy do your job, and they're all rooting for each other and there's nothing like, well, I'm the closure, what's the closer for the White Sox? You know, hey, you brought me over here to be the ninth inning guy. Why is Evan Phillips the ninth inning guy? Why is Blake trying the eighth inning guy. There's none of that finger pointing or questioning going on. They all just want to go out and whenever their number is called, go out and do their best.
Speaker 4: It's right and that is because they're great guys or pros, and the manager, Dave Roberts, certainly has something to do with that. I would say another reason for this is the unfamiliarity that the offense has when they have to, you know, go against these guys. They don't see them all the time. And I also think it's it's because of the matchups, the planning that goes on. I guarantee you one thing they're they're not just hanging out in the hotel. Dave Roberts with his coaches is doing matchups. They're doing mock versions of what the game might look like in the you know, from if there's trouble with the starter all the way through the game. They're doing the matchups all the way throughout, and how to use that bullpen most effectively. I think those reasons combined ers why you're seeing such a great performance.
Speaker 3: It's that's a tight knit group. David Vesse gets to be around them all the time. I've seen it out at the stadium. It's a group that gets along. It's a group that's tight knip and tight knit. They do a lot of stuff together at the stadium, you know, and it's a good.
Speaker 4: Group to each other. Yeah, I mean that's I mean, you're gonna perform a lot better when you like your surroundings and you don't usually work with people that you dislike. They genuinely care about each other, and that's that's a great thing.
Speaker 3: Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is our number. We'll get back out to the phones in just a minute. But a pleasure now to spend a few minutes with a guy who spent fifteen years in the big leagues the Pride and Test in high school. He spent five seasons with the Dodgers back in two thousand and six as a member of the New York Mets. He faced off against the Dodgers and the NLDS. The Mets were winners in that series, went on to take on the Saint Louis Cardinals in the NLCS. You see him on Spectrum Sports and at LA. You follow him on social media. His home run record for most home runs in a single season was broken by some guy named show Hey Otani earlier this season. He is the one and only Sean Green and he joins us now here on Saxon Kates and am on your home with the Dodgers A five seventies Sean, how you doing, good morning, good morning, how you guys doing doing fantastic? This Dodgers Mets series bring back a little memories of two thousand and six when you were a part of that series back as a member of the Mets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that does.
Speaker 9: That was a fun series, and it's kind of crazy because we actually had I think we had like five or six recent Dodgers on the Mets, so we had a little, i think a little extra incentive. That was when the mccorts came in and basically shipped us away. But is paul A Duke, Duaner Sanchez Garimota jose Valentine.
Speaker 1: I mean it was it was a bunch of.
Speaker 9: Guys, so, you know, worked out in our favorite that time, but you know, hopefully this time will go the other way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Sean, good morning, Good to be with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hey, I wanted d You know, you're a big, strong of you know, left handed hitting, power, power guy, and I'm gonna try to get get in your head a little bit about the differences that we see with shoe hee Otani when he's on base and the success that that he's had when the bases are full, and what the difference is when there's nobody on and how they're approaching him. The numbers are drastic, they're tremendously different. Maybe you can lend a little bit of what's going on with that tremendous differences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 9: I mean, I don't think I've ever seen such a drastic difference. Usually known on bass, you might kind of relax a little bit and it's in some way it's.
Speaker 1: Easier to hit.
Speaker 9: But I think he takes a big swing, right, I think I guess my best guess is that.
Speaker 1: He's just tones it down a little bit to put the.
Speaker 9: Ball on the ball and you know isn't try to hit it, you know, six hundred unred feet, which he is capable of doing.
Speaker 1: I think that's the biggest thing.
Speaker 9: But also you know, when you have guys on first and second, there's nowhere to put him. You know, the pitcher might tighten up a little bit and try to be too too perfect. And sometimes when they do that, as you know, and they make more mistakes.
Speaker 3: Sean, you had success in the postseason. We're seeing a guy in Key k Hernandez who's putting his name in the books next to guys like Luke Garrick and Reggie Jackson and Babe Ruth. As far as his ops on the road in postseason games fifteen now postseason home runs for Key k Hernandez, what he does in October is tremendous, and he just flips a switch almost from regular season KEYK to postseason KEYK. When you were playing in that postseason, how different was it for you to be out there playing in October than it was during the regular season. When you watch a guy like keik do it, do you amaze though, how he just transforms into a different player.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I know, it's been amazing and he's always been when he first came up.
Speaker 1: He's really talented player.
Speaker 9: You know, I think, you know, it's a different approach out as he's trying to hit long ball, and you know, I think back when Saxsy played or what I played, a guy like him would have been more you know, hit line drives over the second basement's head and you know, occasionally run into one. So you know, I think that's just that's just his style played out. But a guy like him, you know, when he's playing, I think the fact that they're playing the Mets, and as loud as it is in LA, you know, you turn it up a few notches in New York in the postseason because they're from pitch one, everyone's on their feet screaming with every pitch.
Speaker 1: So I think if a guy likes.
Speaker 9: That environment, he's going to thrive me more in a place like New York.
Speaker 1: Because it just gets the juices flown to that that next level.
Speaker 9: And that's that's what we've seen at least Game one, and we'll see how it goes the next next two nights.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Sean, the fact that you played a first base, you can understand the amount of work that it takes to to do the things that Freddie Freeman's doing over there. Basically with one leg he saves of middle infield. There's a lot of grief by being able to pick that ball. That is not an easy thing to do. Maybe you can explain to our listeners how much work it takes not to just go out there throw your glove and be able to pick that ball like that and do the things that he's doing on first base. But I mean there is a lot of hours spent going in and perfecting that craft over there at first base, which is I think a very underrated spot on the defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, to have someone over there that you could trust.
Speaker 4: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 9: And I played the one season and at first base in two thousand and four, and that was the year I had. I had Beltrey at third and Cora at second, and his tours is short, so just incredible guys that could cover a lot of ground and both they all threw the.
Speaker 1: Ball really truly.
Speaker 9: You know, I played a little bit of first base and Jose reyes through this and so much you know, back spin on the ball that he handcuff me one time and all that didn't even bounce because it looked like it was going to dirt.
Speaker 1: It just kept going.
Speaker 9: So I think having guys that you see the ball in their hand really easily and doesn't tail over the place makes it makes it better. But in terms of picking balls at first base, yeah, I and the spring training Glenn hop and our third base coach, would you know, he had the machine on every.
Speaker 8: Day and was just sending.
Speaker 9: Me ball up your ball that was short hopping and and practicing.
Speaker 1: And then there's a there's definitely an art to it.
Speaker 9: You have to, you know, just like flick at it, you have to you know, make sure you stay with the ball and try to you know, keep your glove going towards the ball that's coming in so that if it takes a little different bounce, your gloves staying on playing with the ball. So there's there's a lot more to it than just like flicking at it and hoping you catch it. And and Freddy's been doing it so long that you know, I'm sure it's second nature. But when you're in these these you know, high leverage games, high stress games, you gotta you got those are the types of things you have to you know, focus on it and keep working to make sure there's no there's no little laps, and it costs you a chance of the World Series.
Speaker 3: Sean Green with us here on a five seventy LA Sports. You're a home of the Dodgers. Game four of the NLCS is tonight. First pitch he's had five. A showy o Tani earlier this season broke your single season home run record of forty nine home runs, goes on to have a fifty fifty season. Do you just marvel at what this guy does? I mean, he spent six years in Anaheim, we forget that, but he comes to the Dodgers and takes it to a whole new level.
Speaker 1: It's insane.
Speaker 9: I've never seen I'm not necessarily anything like it. You know, he's the greatest all around baseball players ever lived. And you know the thing that I think amazing me the most is is really the fifty solen bases.
Speaker 1: Like that's crazy. Sexy knows how hard it is. It just takes a toll in your body.
Speaker 9: It's not just it's not just a you know, fifty five attempts he had or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: It's all the times you know, you try, it got folowed it off.
Speaker 9: It's you know, the extra you run a little differently in your pregame warm ups if you know you're going to be trying to steal bases, You're not just going out jogging and figuring you'll get you know, looser as the game goes on, you're you're ready to go, and so all that.
Speaker 1: And he's and he's six y four or whatever he is. So it's just a whole whole different deal.
Speaker 9: Like I get how a guy can have a canon and become a good pitcher and also be a great hitter. And this guys, I think in the history of the game, had that been an option, probably would have.
Speaker 1: Been successful at both.
Speaker 9: I'm not going to say they would have been, you know, top two hitter in the league and a top you know three or four pitcher in the league, like like Otani, but there's a lot of guys who probably could have done both. But to be throw that storm bases in there, and the fact that he was what fifty one, fifty five out of fifty nine or you guys are better than I do, but it is he wasn't even getting caught, which is just absurd.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Sean last one for me. I wanted to ask you, you know, with the way that the approach is today and hitting and we can go down a rabbit hole this, I'm just going to try to ask you in a general sense, you were one of the guys that had the rare combination to be able to hit with power and to hit for an average. Today, you see the mean average right around two thirty eight, two forty. They got some sock in there. Okay, that's great too, But when do you think we're going to see the pendulum kind of come back. These pitchers aren't dumb. They they pitch up on the strike zone. They know the hitters are trying to hit the bottom of the baseball. Do you think the approach has got to change for hitters to more square this thing up and try to have those line drives turn into home runs instead of just going for the long ball the whole time.
Speaker 1: Without a doubt.
Speaker 9: I mean, I think every you know, previous generation feels like it's gotten a little bit extreme, very extreme. I think it's going to change when a team dominates kind of with an old school approach. I think the closest thing we've seen over the last few years was that Padres team, they had more guys, yes, with like a true leadoff hitter, you know, machado tatist. I mean they tatists kind of lets it fly a little bit more, but I mean they're they're not as big a strikeout home run only guys. And I think when you see that success, you know, everyone everyone in baseball probably like other sports, they're they're copycats and all, so they oh this, you know, takes this to win, and I think you'll start to see it swing back once there's some success from an organization with that approach.
Speaker 3: Sewn. We appreciate you jumping on this morning. Dodger fans excited to hear your voice talk about this series, and it certainly brings back memories of two thousand and six when you're with the Mets and beating the Dodgers in the nl d S. And it's certainly fun to see la versus New York again in this NLCS and who knows, maybe we'll see la versus New York in the World Series coming up in about a week or so. Sewn, really appreciate you doing this morning. Thanks for doing it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Sean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for having me. Guys all right.
Speaker 3: There he goes the great Sean Green. What are the great guys?
Speaker 4: Great guy, I mean, he's a fantastic guy and I always love seeing him at the stadium. He's what a player two, I mean he was. They wouldn't have enough money to pay him today. Oh no, they'd have to weigh it. They wouldn't even have to be able to count it.
Speaker 3: I got a funny story for it. When he was in Triple A with the Syracuse Chiefs. This is back in the early nineties on a family vacation back east, and we did baseball park tours. Okay, So here we are in Norfolk, Virginia, right Triple A game, the Norfolk Tides taking on the Syracuse Chiefs. And before the game, we were at the hotel and it happened to be the same hotel that the Syracuse Chiefs were staying in. Okay, and at the time, this is the Triple A team of the Toronto Blue Jays. They had Carlos Delgado and Sean Green on this Triple A team. It was unbelievable, and these guys were like prospects. Yeah, and I remember walking either to the stadium or right around the hotel, and I asked them for autographs, and Cardlos Delgado was kind of like, dude, wrong place, wrong time, Like you don't ask for autograph here kind of thing, and still signed. Yeah, Sean Green couldn't have been cooler. Saw how Carlos Delgado kind of acted to me as a young kid at the time and looked and like was like, hey, absolutely no problem, and was super cool about it and like, hey, appreciate it. Have a good one. And I'll never forget that to this day. I'll never forget him doing that and being so cool signing an autograph when he was in Triple A with the Syracuse Chiefs at the time.
Speaker 4: That's the way he is. He's he's just naturally a very nice person. He's he's very humble. Uh and uh, what a great player. And like I said, always a treat to see him whenever I run into him at the stadium. Just really liked that guy.
Speaker 3: Great guy. His dad, a hitting coach down in Orange County, was the hitting coach for Freddie Freeman growing up.
Speaker 4: You know another thing too about him, real quick, very very much reminds me of Fred McGriff at the plate, same type of hitter, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Very much, so absolutely absolutely, thanks again to Sean Green. We appreciate him joining us this morning, talking a little baseball, a little hitting, little show hey, and of course game four this NLCS will come back. We'll get to your phone calls eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy and we'll get Steve's keys. That's all next year on Anti seventy l A Sports Sax and Kate to the am till the top of the hour. They'll have things off to Coli, Coward, Rogan and Rodney and noon Petro some money flashback at two o'clock, Marogo Casino. Dodgers on deck starts at four, first pitch at five. Oh hey, I tell you this because we are your home of the Dodgers A five seventy LA Sports. No need to go anywhere else, keep it right here with you wherever you're going on the go. Make sure you take the iHeartRadio app with you as well. Steve will get to your keys coming up in just a couple of minutes, thanks to Sean Green. But let's get in a couple of calls if we can.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 3: A lot of Dodger fans want to weigh in on the Game three win and look ahead and out of Game four, Kenny and Tarzana. Thanks for being patient Kenny on this Thursday morning. How you doing.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, I've already been to a gymming back fellows.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Anyway, I want to talk about Max Munsey in particular. First, Bell, you recall a few weeks ago I told you guys that we didn't necessarily have to have our three MVPs doing all that well, and it could be some guys that we don't think about all that often. And in fact, months he obviously we heard the stat eight times in a row, has gotten on. He's got a one point seven to eight ops and keyk is next to ninety three. Nobody else's over eight hundred. But I also wanted to talk to Steve about Munchie's defense, particularly in starting the five four to three double play. The throws that Monthsy is giving to the second basement look to be perfect, and I wanted to get Steve's comments. And by the way, I will survive not having gotten Steve's uniform. Bet that gifts it tip. It might be nice, all right, Katy.
Speaker 3: We appreciate it. The months he and the defense Saxy make him some good plays there and some good throws.
Speaker 4: Yep. Absolutely, And he's right on when you talk about, you know, the throws that he's making to first to second base, because the start of a double play, the most important throw in a double play is that first throw. And months he's given a nice firm throw right about chest, high, easy to handle, lets him come across the bag and give a good, hard throw to first base. So you're right on about that, Kley, when you talk about, you know, his throws the first or throws to second base, first throw is the most important one, and he does it in great fashion.
Speaker 3: Robert in l A your next up, Hi, Robert, how you doing?
Speaker 1: Hey, good morning gentlemen, Good morning, hy Robert.
Speaker 11: I was gonna go talk to you guys and Saxy Sexy great wain last night. It's good to see U multile guys being computer to the game. Uh, not one one player, because there's gonna have a good game and I'll play what will pick up the slack? Hopefully UH win tonight and uh next two actually and hopefully they went on the both series. All right, But Sexy, I want to go back and memory lane with you real quick if I may, I believe it in lift lift bridge right, Yeah, okay, I'm a I'm a I'm a nephew one of your teammates back then. Do you know do you remember her name by the last name about Hogan, Ernie?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I remember Ernie very well. Yep. I remember he used to talk about it.
Speaker 11: Yes, Lincoln, heies. I said, yes, I'm his nephew. You're coming a lot of stories about those days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you be sure and tell Ernie. I said, hello, how's he doing?
Speaker 6: You going?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 11: He lives in Henderson right now. Uh. I talked to him yesterday and Thomas you hello, also great? But yeah, you want to keep your touch with h keep in touch with you sometime?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well.
Speaker 1: Instagram, Yeah, hit me up.
Speaker 3: Sounds good, Robert, appreciate the phone call, Thanks, Robert. Is that a former minor league teammate with you? Yep, I remember him very well, Ernie Holgeen. He was from East LA and he grew up loving the Dodgers. And you know here we are still connected, all right, Saxony in our final minute and a half here, So Steve's keys to Game four, You've been spot on. If you're listening right now, make sure you listen to what Steve has to say here Stee's keys to a Game four win tonight.
Speaker 4: I would love to see Otani eliminate half the field, and I know the prolific home run that he hit down the right field line, but Kintana is not going to give him that opportunity. Coming from the left side, He's going to throw him away, away, away. I would love for show Hay to eliminate half of that field and just burn up the stands and left center field. I think that would be a great thing to see. But really, my keys, I think it's going to be ta Oscar Hernandez and Will Smith. They're going to dominate it from the right side. I don't think Kntana is going to have an answer for them. And I think that Taoskar's burning to come back and don't let them shove on him like they did yesterday. He's going to come back and tear it up.
Speaker 3: I am with you one thousand percent on ta oskar Is. I think he comes through big time tonight. He is that next guy to take the baton and have a big game in Game four, to be big time tonight.
Speaker 4: Who's that I'm gonna be burning up your fricking phone on this game going on here.
Speaker 3: You are, Sacks. You're gonna pay for my minutes next month, that's for sure, all right. See Steve Sacks next to Katie, next to Michelle. Thanks to you for being a part of the show. We'll be back at it tomorrow, bright and early at six am. Sax and Kate to the AM reacting to game four and get you ready for an early game five of the NLCS Dodges up two games to one. Rogo Casino Dodges on deck and four o'clock this afternoon, first pitch at five. Oh wait, The Herd with Colin Cowherd is coming up next