Speaker 1: The history of the Twilight Zone in comics is almost as long as the history of the show itself. Every few years we get a new iteration of the Twilight Zone in comic book form, and this time around it's by id W So to go over this first issue and welcome back to the show, my friend and veteran comic book reader, mister Zach Moore. Zach, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Hello there, veteran comic book reader here reporting for duty.
Speaker 1: So Zach. Last time we spoke it was probably on Patreon, so I'm not sure everybody here to hear. But you were coming to the end of Smallville, and you got to the end of Smallville now on your show, will always hold on too Smallville. So how's retirement treating you?
Speaker 2: Oh, you know it's good, but like a like a like a good professional, it's hard to shake the game. You know, you can leave the game, but the game can't. The game won't leave you. So here I am again guesting on your show. I still have semi regular episodes I put out. You know Superman movies. You know there's comic books. Obviously there's comic books. So there's actually specific small, little comic books, and so I'm continuing the podcast, not in the regularity I was going through ten seasons, so it is it is nice to not have to have reached the end of the journey, as as I know you will one day, Tom, you'll be able to go back and watch the Twilight Zone, like for fun. I can now go back and watch Smallville for fun, because when people, you know, when you're doing it TV show podcast, the podcast about a TV show, you don't just throw on a random episode for fun, right, because it's like you gotta do your Oh, let me read this article or interview and let me oh, let me take these notes, and how am I gonna hold there's a screencap here of this problem. You're thinking that you're watching it a whole different way that you do as a fan, and we know what we got into, right. This is not a complaint, This is just a comment. So but now the work is done. Now I can just randomly watch an episode of novel and it's fun. So anyway, that's how it's going for me, Tom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing because I did season one of the Twilight Zone like fifteen years ago, so there's episodes of that show that I haven't seen in that long because I'm always on the next one, you know, so it will be nice to sit back and just enjoy the twilight Zone zone again. But I do enjoy doing this bo I also enjoy when something just comes out of the blue with the Twilight Zone on it, like this comic book. Now, we did an episode, Zach, where we went through like the whole dynamite run of the Twilight Zone, well most of it anyway, because there's the twelve book series by J. Michael Strazinski. Then there was a four book mini series, Twilight Zone The Shadow, and then there is the Shadow and Substance mini series that also had a few one shots and an annual, and they collected it together in that book. If you're thinking back, Zach, when do you think that came out?
Speaker 2: Wow? Oh that was a while back. Let me think it was before we went to serling Fest together though, because we hadn't met in person first, so I got to say twenty gosh, twenty seventeen, tom.
Speaker 1: So I think they had the license around twenty fourteen. Okay, so when I looked at that today because I was, you know, brushing up on my Twilight Zone comics store, of course, twenty fourteen. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe that that much time had passed because I remember doing that episode with you quite vividly. You know, we kind of we went through each of the issues and it was that Collected Shadow and Substance book that we went through, and I still remember the one about the Renaissance Fair was like, I remember, why are they punishing this guy so much for like.
Speaker 2: In I know we didn't. I know, we didn't do it in twenty fourteen, though, no, we must have done it years after that, But no, it wasn't. It was okay, between twenty fourteen and twenty eighteen we did that podcast. That was a lot of fun because I think that was either one of my first appearances on the on the main show here, and we had a good time. And it's a lot of comic books you read, and a lot of them it was hit or miss tom as I recall, it was our verdict at the.
Speaker 1: End, definitely hit all miss. And I think it's such a strange history with the Twilight zoning comics, isn't it. You know, there was those initial gold key ones and then every few years the company gets it and they're like we're doing the Twilight Zone again, and you know, there's bells and whistles, then it kind of comes out and then it fizzles away a little bit. It's always seems to be like that, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: I mean, not that dissimilar from the reboots of the show itself, right, I mean there's been three reboots of the show, plus the movie and the TV movie, and so there's always like somebody has a new, fresh take on it, quote unquote, and it comes out and then before you know it, it's gone. And we'll see what happens with this series we're talking about here, Tom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's hope for better things, you know, because it's IDW who have it? This time? It was Dynamite. Last time round, they brought us that twelve book series by Jane Michael Strazinski, which I think is probably the best Twilight Zone we've had in comics. It was a bit of a different thing. But I know you like that too, right I did?
Speaker 2: I did. I really like Jmichael Strazinski's work. You know, Batlon five is a great television show, and obviously he worked on the eighty show of the Twilight Zone reboots. So natural Guy too. I mean, he's a comic book writer as well, so perfect fit. Great stuff. I've read all the things afterward that you've talked about. I have never read the Old Gold Key comics. If they ever came out with like a collection, I would get it out of curiosity and then and then I don't know when I would read it. I would probably read it when you did an episode about it, but I would I would like to own it and just have it. But that's where i'd go on. I'm kind of surprised they haven't at this point.
Speaker 1: Well, a friend of the show, ed is he has one hand in comic book publishing, and he was trying to get that together. But I think the rights issues have proven to me more difficult than he anticipated. It was a few years ago now that I spoke to him about it, and we haven't seen it since. But the thing with those is they are a bit more of a historical curio than actually anything really good. A lot of them are really very simplistic stuff, you know, very simplistic stuff. But we are who we are. We like collecting this stuff. I'm sure if that was if those were collected, I would buy them in a heartbeat.
Speaker 2: You know Rod Sterling is in those right, his likeness right, yeah, yeah, So that kind of separates it from most of these other things, which is the least notable in them of itself.
Speaker 1: So, like I said, it's IDW who has this one, and it's under their id dark in print. I don't know whether that's a new thing or something, but they have brought out I think it's maybe a five issue mini series, so maybe they're just hedging their bets as well, kind of see.
Speaker 2: According to the very back of the inside back cover this fall, IDW invites you to enter the Twilight Zone and it's the classic doorway and it's open and it has issue one, two, three, four five series debut September twenty twenty five. So they at least have five plants. And now if it's not successful for whatever reason, they can say that we did our five as promise, and if it is successful, they can make more. So I think that's probably a good place to be, and they want to test the market, they want to test the interest. So here's to five and potentially five more. So.
Speaker 1: This fast issue that we've both got is called Blanks. It's written by Dan Waters and Morgan Beam I think Dan Waters is a fellow Britt, So hello, Dan, if you're listening. I did reach out to IDW through their publicity department and I got a big, old silent response from them. So so, you know, it would have been nice to have some of these people on the show, but hey, that's the way it goes. But I know you're the same as me zach in that you're not necessarily at the twilight Zone needs to be in black and white Guy or the TV show or any movie versions that they do. I kind of feel it would be a big, gimmicky, you know, but I think it's a great choice for the comic book. I think the difference in medium it really lends something to this. So I think, you know, straight from the off, I think they made a really good choice doing it in black and white.
Speaker 2: Oh, I totally agree. I think different mediums call for different approaches, right, And you know, television being what it was in the fifties and sixties that that was a black and white TV show, and we're not in the fifties or sixties anymore, so it makes sense it'd be fun to have a one off episode or a one off segment of a movie I think, but don't make the whole thing that. It's the style of it, right, and when you and then how do you communicate? You don't have music, you don't have actors, you don't have Rod Serling. How are you going to capture the essence of the Twilight Zone? You know, in a comic book these days, Making a black and white one of the ingredients people associated with the original I think is a smart choice. And it's not totally random. There are lots of black and white comics that exist out there, so it's not just some weird random choice to try and recapture the original show, which you'll never be able to do. But capturing one of those elements is smart. And when I heard, or when we saw the covers and art, I guess we assumed it was going to be in black and white. And you know, I like that idea then, and I like it now. I think it was a smart choice.
Speaker 1: So I think we'll talk a little bit generally fast for anyone out there who hasn't picked it up yet. You know, we won't go spoiler heavy in the beginning, but then I'll give you a fair warning. And when they when we do get into spoiler territory. So we'll try and stay quite general here. So it's in black and white. It is the regular amounts of comic book pages, it seems, and in the back they have a preview of a Sleepy Hollow comic that they're doing as well. Yes, I would have liked maybe if those pages were given over to the Twilight Zone.
Speaker 2: No, you know, I noticed this the IDW they have a lot of ads in the back, because I've got other comic books of theirs before Godzilla, for example, they do Godzilla, so I'm kind of used to like, the last six or seven pages is going to be like a preview of this, and add for that an alternate cover of this. So but I would actually I would rather be all collected at the end than interrupt the story. So fair enough, fair enough. They got to pay the bills, Tom.
Speaker 1: They gotta get people turned on to their other products, so I get it. I get it. The other thing to notice about this is that the artwork it's by Morgan Beam. Now I'm a bit of a lapsed comic book reader, so I'm not up to date on who's who in the business these days. My comic book memories are like you know, ten, fifteen, twenty years old, and I still keep my hand in here and there with some collected editions. But I'm not a comic book heavy guy. So this artwork is quite stylized. What did you think of the artwork, Zach?
Speaker 2: I like it. It's some black and white. It's it is a definite style, right, this is this is a person that I assume that this artist style right how he draws people, and would not be my first like, oh that looks beautiful, sign me up for ten of these, but it works for what he's going for, Like, there's nothing wrong with it. It's just artist's objective top of course. So that's what did you think of this? Because it definitely is like all the people have a certain look to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quite bony and long fingers and things like that, so it is kind of stylized. They'd probably be ideal for a horror comic. And I suppose this has got one foot in that world, you.
Speaker 2: Know, true, I guess this is what this is, so maybe it's not. It's not wrong. I just would like so like for example, like the covers, right, I got the alternate cover with the guy on the with like the spacesuit. Yeah, like that looks cool. I like that. I like that better than the cover you have with like the actual main character in a hospital bed. I'm like, Eh, So for example, that's just my that's my preference, that's my taste.
Speaker 1: I'll give this just general comment about it before we get into spoiler territory. So the story is about a guy called Edward Kine. Now he goes to this island where you know, he's been donating money. He's like a billionaire or something. He's been donating money towards the research of you know, these scientists on the island, and the thing that they are developing is a kind of serum that the way they present it is it kind of resets the body, if you like, In that the things that usually go wrong with us when we age, it's almost like the body forgets to do them or something along those lines. So if you take this thing, you won't age, and you know, they want to go broad with it, give it to the whole human race, save millions of lives. And that's the setup really, and obviously this is the twilight zone. Edward has stomach cancer. He takes the serum and then what happens after that is what we will get into shortly, both for anyone who wants to stop at this point, Zach, any kind of just general impressions, your general thoughts on it.
Speaker 2: I think it's a great setup. It definitely felt like a Twilight Zone episode premise, you know, a rich guy looking for immortality. The isolated location is good to even thinking about, like what they could accomplish at the show, because when you do tie in novels or tie in tie in anything right, tie in anything, any multimedia, you want it to be something they could have done on the show. At least that's how I feel. So it's like I could see, yeah, it's a remote location. It's not some like they're not in some crazy futuristic city. They're like they're like at a resort on an island. They could have filmed that in nineteen sixty five or whatever. So I think that's a good premise. It's a good setup. And the the of course, you're you're waiting the whole first half to see where this is gonna go, which we are going to get into in a minute.
Speaker 1: So let's put this spoiler warning out there at this point. All better off now and we're going to talk about the story. So I think after I read it the first time, I might not have adjusted to the format, because, like I say, my comic reading is collected editions now, you know, I don't go issue by issue usually maybe for something like Planet of the Apeside do it. So my first time reading this, it was like, Wow, that was brief. You know, it was so quick that I couldn't quite believe that it was over when it was over.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, it seems like it's going to go into the third act and that it is.
Speaker 1: Well, I've read it like two or three more times since to just really get a flavor for it, and I think I've adjusted. You know, at the end of the day, you've only got so many pages. You can only do what you can do in it. And I think for what they do, it fills that spot those pages pretty well. Because Edward Kine is this millionaire guy. He takes to see her him and then when he wakes up, everyone else on the island has got a blank face. Now what he does is, well, let's not get ahead of ourselves a first. When he's talking to the doctor who's going to administer this stuff, he's like man, you know, I'm just going to miss people so much. The human race is an amazing thing. We're also different. Yes, yes, yes, you know, so you actually think you know what This guy's okay. You know he likes humanity, he likes the diversity of humanity. He's not your typical Twilight Zone bad guy.
Speaker 2: That's a great point because I read it a couple times of myself, and the first time I read it, I was like, hmm, okay, But when I read it again, I pick up more on that stuff of like where the guys coming from. It's like, I want to meet people there are in the world. I want to meet them all. They're all so different, we all what did you have for breakfast? Something different than me? We're all so individual and that's so interesting, and so knowing what happens at the end like that adds a whole another layer to it, which made me joyed and appreciate it a lot more than I think maybe I did the first read.
Speaker 1: Definitely, I think there's definitely a bit of acclimatization to it. So he takes this, he gets given this serum, and when he wakes up, well, what did.
Speaker 2: You what did you think was going to happen, like, what did you Was he going to wake up like in the future? Were they gonna be robots or apes? Like what? I thought? Maybe he was going to be like the future or something, or I don't know, what did you do? You have any guests whatever was going to happen?
Speaker 1: I didn't because the thing is the story is called Blanks, and you see him on the hospital bed on the cover, so you know he's going to wake up and everyone's face is going to be blank, which is you know, what are you going to do? You can't really hide that, I suppose, But I was thinking to myself, well, hold on a minute, why would him take in something make everyone else's face go blank? That's just crazy unless it was some kind of internal madness that he had where he couldn't see people's faces anymore. So I've got to say I never had any idea what it might be. So you were thinking the future or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he'd wake up and it was a thousand years and all we put you in cry over freeze and here we go. But now we've evolved to this point now, or this monoculture or something like that. I thought maybe that might be what they do. I like what they do better than that. Just for the record, I'm not saying they should have done that. That's just me guessing. Like obviously, when a guy wakes up and everybody's gone, something has gone wrong and he's gonna find out what it is.
Speaker 1: And what it is, and like I say, spoilers. So basically he is patient zero. But when this sort of viral element of the drug has passed on to other people on the island, he is immune to it because he's patient zero. But what it does when it moves to other people, it's mutated, and it strips away everything that is individual about them, including their face. So all you're left with is this kind of wandering husk of a person, basically with no personality, no way of looking or speaking to you, just these blank faces. And when you said they could do this in the original show, it makes you think, how great would this be in the original show?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I think they definitely could do it.
Speaker 2: I think you just put a little I mean a little bit of prosthetics under somebody's face to kind of smooth out the underneath, and then put like a some kind of sock cover on their head. I mean, like something smooth and a wig and a hat, and you could tell that would be unsettling. This would be one of the most unsettling, you know, instances of the Twilights, and it'd be not up there with the big people and all that stuff, but it'd be one of those images because you think, yeah, there's a lot of like Twilight Zone DNA in this, which is great. It's like, that's what you want. You want what you know, but you want a new twist on it. So it's like somebody looking for immortality the price living forever. There's always a you know, a catch to that. He wakes up and he says, where is everybody? All right? Look at that? Like somebody knows the show running around the hospital, right, So it's like either beholder. So there's a lot of those elements in there. So yeah, I like that. I think that was great and I think that would have been a really cool, fun visual gimmick they absolutely could have done back then.
Speaker 1: Just to go off on a slight tangent, there is a British TV show I think they made it in maybe the seventies or eighties called Sapphire and Steel, very strange, very off the wall, and if I remember, rightly, there was a being in one of those episodes who looked exactly like this, no features, and it was extremely creepy, very off the wall kind of show. I suppose it does share a bit of DNA with the Twilight Zone, so it's out there, you know, if people want to look that up. So basically Edward Kine, he manages to find the doctor who administered this to him, just before the doctor's humanity is completely gone, and he explains to him, look, you know you're immune bought. Everyone else is, and if you go off this island, you're just going to wipe out individuality from humanity.
Speaker 2: Oh that's why he's trying to destroy the helicopter. Brother, he's like as a lighter, he's going to like blow up the helicopter, set it on fire, and you don't know why he's doing it. Anthlete talks to him, but I don't think they mentioned it. The cure worked, by the way, he feels young, he doesn't have his stomach cancer anymore, he's running, he feels great. So again he got his wish fulfill But at what cost you.
Speaker 1: Right, Absolutely so, Edward Kine, this guy who at the beginning was like preaching about how great humanity was with all of its differences. He now has a choice. Does he stay on the island with these blank faced creatures or does he go out into the world where this will spread more and essentially will end up wiping out humanity into these faceless things. It's a real test for what he said earlier on in the book, because he makes the decision that he's going to go out into the world and he says, well, that might be a people who you're immune, you know, So all of that kind of good will he had built up at the beginning, it turns out that he's actually not that guy at all, and quite selfishly his immortality that he has now, I don't know, I mean, what do you make of the end of this act, because there's a there's a couple of things that where he he's going out there basically and he's like, I don't care, you know, I'm going to go out there and he knows what's going to happen, a very selfish thing now, or he could also end up just as a prisoner of the world he's created, where you know, he's the only one with any consciousness. So what what do you make of the end of it.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean that's ultimately what's gonna happen to him, right, I mean he's he's taking these short term selfish out to make a long term selfish out because he's gonna he's gonna he's gonna spread this and it's gonna go across the entire world. And yeah, his justification to himself like yeah, you know, there might be other people who are immune. You don't know. It's like that's how you know that you're making a BADGHO when you're saying stuff like that trying to justify it. He even tells the doctor. He's like, yeah, you understand, right, because I can't miss my son's birthday or if he says that in there somewhere, and uh, yeah, that's that's a very dark ending, right, and it's align with a lot of dark apocalyptic Twilight Zone episode endings and yeah, and like, like you, I was taking it back because it ends with him this helicopters taken off, and I'm like, oh, onto the third act. There's no third act. This is the end. But if you think about Twilight Zone episodes in their structure, like this is actually very true to that. You know, we think about like time enough at last, like this bomb goes off like two thirds the way through the episode or something, and then it's this last climax and it's the end, you know. And then's something like this as well, like he wakes up from this injection and he's running around and has this conversation and then it's the end. So yeah, rereading it, I definitely appreciate it more. And yeah, he's he is ultimately going to be a prisoner of his own choice. And he's not that's the thing, right, Like you said, he's not like a bad dude as far as like his intentions, right, but ultimately he makes it extremely self a choice that is going to wipe out humanity. So walk the walk, talk the talk. When it came down to it, he made the bat. Now, who would want to live on this island? No? What of course, But I don't know. Now, you're going to make the whole world like this island. So it's it's it's a it's a good, uh moral quandary at the end. And I mean, I don't know what I do in that situation. I mean I don't I mean, that would suck to stay there, but I wouldn't want to kill everybody else, so I'm glad we're not in that position.
Speaker 1: Tom Me too. So overall, I think the right of Dan Watters has a has a really good handle on what makes the Twilight Zone the Twilight Zone. And like I say, I did have to adjust slightly to the brevity of it, but that's comic books. You know, You've only got those pages to work with, so what are you going to do. But I think once you are acclimatized, he fills it really well. I think it will be even better at the end of this five issue run when you have a a collected edition where you're just going from story to story to story, and I think that is going to reframe this in a really nice way. But I think talking about this issue on its own, I was really quite happy with it, and I really enjoyed it. There's good instincts of what made the Twilight Zone, and I think straight away, apart from maybe that Strazinski run which is reshaping the Twilight Zone anyway, because that was like all different people encountering the Twilight Zone and the stories overlappen, so it's almost the thing in and of itself. But I would say straight away with issue one, I'm kind of feeling more positive about this than I did with any of those shadow and substance stories from Dynamite.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, I can't think of one, especially that we were because there were so many we read and talked about in that episode. I have to go back and re listen to that episode now, but yeah, I couldn't. I can't remember when I'm like, you know what, this would be one from the original show, like maybe think there was arian even there. One was one of like astronauts or something, and I'm like, that feels like that feels like the show. I know what that is. Not that again they were hit or missed. Not that all of them are bad, but none of them had that that Twilight Zone secret sauce was just the one seems to have and I was I was a little harsh on the on the art. On the art anyway, nothing again, nothing, it's bad. I just like it was like once you talk about acclimating, like once I acclimated to, oh, this is how people look in this in this comic book, I'm like, okay, got it. Question for you though, Uh the rod sterling of it? All right? Okay, there is this on like the second page here, there's this this guy behind an umbrella smoking a cigarette. And I didn't realize until, like I reread it, I'm like, oh, that's supposed to be Rod Sterling. I guess doing the narration, I was just like, this is a guy this resort, but no, this is a it's Sterling in the scene, Tom, it's what you love. Yeah, and you don't see his face. He's blocked by an umbrella.
Speaker 1: I just to be clear, that's probably the way to go with it. I think he is there. He's at the place. He's sitting in a deck chair on the beach or something, or on the you know, at the sides of the jetty where the helicopter's coming in if I remember rightly, and it's just his arm with a cigarette in it. I think the opening dialogue was pretty great, you know, pretty dead on sailing esque stuff. So I think, yeah, you know, probably not having his face in it is really the way to go. And I think they did a good job with it.
Speaker 2: What about you, No, I think so too. I I it's funny. I've been I've been catching up to you and Chris's Outer Limits podcast on the Patreon. Sometimes I let those pile up and I listen to some a few of them in a row, and like it felt honestly in my head, I was like, this sounds more like The Outer Limits than Twilight Zone because it's like ever so it's the first cave man. I was like, that's like, because the Outer Limits intro is often like some history lesson or something. But that first, that first paragraph, Gobby, but but you're right after you kind of get through that. I was like, Oh, yeah, this feels like Rod Serling, especially at the end. And I'm glad they had an in narration too, because I've said this, I say this every opportunity I can in these podcasts, like I think it in narration is essential because you went through this crazy thing and you want Rod to come in and tell you here's what we learned. It's all gonna be okay, and you can just guide you out of there, because then it feels incomplete without that bookend of the opening narration. So I'm glad they kept that, And yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with it. A definite last thing I did want to mention is just it's gonna be interesting to see where these are all like, I don't know where in time these take place. Not that that matters, right, the Twilet Zone's always been all over the place, But because you're in this isolated island somewhere, this could be the sixties, it could be the twenty twenties, it could be two thousand, it can be any time period. And I like that timelessness of it, so I hope they keep that flavor for the rest of this mini series.
Speaker 1: I liked the last panel two where it's got the close and narration going over it, but the helicopter it's against the backdrop of you know, the television, the giant spiral clock, the eye, as if it's like this is just another story flying off into Twilight's own history now, And I think that worked pretty well. So you know, we've got new creative teams with each issue, which I don't know, could be a good thing.
Speaker 2: The next issh, I'll be like, oh man, I take it all back. I love the artwork of the first issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's it. You know, it could it could go anyway. Really, It's a shame in a way because I like Dan Wasser's work on this. He's got a good handle on it. But it's anthology comic books, like anthology television. You just got to go with whatever comes next. So I'm looking.
Speaker 2: Forward to it absolutely same here.
Speaker 1: So you and I are going to try and do these. It's it's not going to be day and date with each new release, but we will you know, we'll get to them whenever that might be, whenever our two schedules are able to do so, but always good to catch up with yours.
Speaker 2: A yeah, no, thanks for having me on for this. It's fun to again, like you, like you mentioned off the top, when these new things pop up about the Twilight Zone, it's good to jump on them and talk about you know, who knows when the next you know TV show, where movie is gonna happen. There's always rumors, but you know what we do have. We have these new comic books and we're going to talk about them. So I always want to jump on microphone and talk with you about this stuff. Tom.
Speaker 1: Great, great, glad to have you back. So what will the next episode be? Well, there's a few things in the WS. It's probably going to be down to what gets done next, so we will see. It's always a surprise here on the twilight Zone podcast and we'll speak to you soon, and bye for now.