Speaker 1: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio AB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Well, welcome back to Ian the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You're Jagin's allies that we have Kobe with breaking.
Speaker 3: News, breaking news from the sports world. San Antonio Spurs all star Victor women Yama is expected to miss the remainder of the season with a blood claw in his right shoulder, but the Spurs were able to defeat the Suns by score one.
Speaker 4: I saw I don't know, you never know what's what's true on on Twitter and stuff that somebody posted that they put ten thousand dollars on Wemby to win Defensive Player of the Year and then less than a day later he's out for the year.
Speaker 2: Did you it must have been the kod of Jacobs Dollins. There's another one.
Speaker 4: You guys out ten grand because you don't get you don't get your.
Speaker 2: Money back for that. So there is another.
Speaker 4: At least when I do it, it's it's over five bucks.
Speaker 2: You're and you're thinking, it's like ten thousand dollars. Gosh, because I get I get a texture of you this week? Was it this week? Oh you hit a two you missed a two foot button? Just a bunch of them.
Speaker 4: I had Kansas, I had Kansas against uh who did they play on Saturday?
Speaker 2: Was it b Yu? No, it wasn't me against BYU. Who did they play? Maybe it was? Maybe it wasn't, but yeah, yeah, yeah, it's so funny. Bill, get it, Bill, Bill. This is not a you problem. It's a problem.
Speaker 3: Connor McDavid scores o t winner for Canada to secure four Nations title.
Speaker 4: You guys, I guess everybody. I didn't watch all everybody watched a stage. There were millions of people watching it. I was out, I was out of dinner with my wife. But I got home, raced into the house because they were going into the in the overtime, and I turned it on. I was glued to the teacher.
Speaker 2: Do you know what the hell is going on? I do know. I know enough, I know enough hockey to know what's going on. But I knew what how big a deal this was. I did what. I watched the last USA Canada game and this that's that's I remember.
Speaker 4: I saw that one as well, so I was excited to see it, and you know, I got home and I were right there. And here's the Here's what I love about this is that this is a this is a mid season event. You know, they take take time off from the regular season to play. And unlike our friends at the NBA who don't give one crap about about the All Star Game, these guys played these games like they were life and death.
Speaker 2: But I don't know if they can never fix the NBA. I just don't. They can't.
Speaker 4: They can't because those guys are are are They're they're spoiled brats. They make too much money and they're not going to risk themselves to get to give everything they have for a game.
Speaker 2: The way these hockey players do.
Speaker 4: But these hockey players, they make a lot of money, they don't even do that in the regular season. And the sport they play is way more likely to bring you an injury than running up and down the court in the NBA.
Speaker 2: What was you over under in the fights? Did you watch it all?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I watched it a few. I don't think there was one fight, but there was chippiness. Okay, the first game, there was a lot of what you three fights in nine seconds?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crazy, but it was. It's fun to watch.
Speaker 4: You just love when you see guys competing like that, and especially competing when in the grand scheme of things, it's not really their job, right.
Speaker 3: Number thirteen Arizona softball sweeps opening day at Helle Brown Invitational. The Wildcats picked up wins against number eighteen Stanford and UC Davis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're playing well, they're doing That's what they need to be doing right before the conference. Just keep just keep winning games and keep playing well.
Speaker 3: Arizona men's tennis to host San Diego in top fifteen matchup.
Speaker 2: There was San Diego thirteen or something.
Speaker 3: I believe they are thirteen.
Speaker 2: No, Arizona thirteen, San Diego seven. Oh yes they fell.
Speaker 4: This is tennis, right, yeah, yeah, Ben Tennis, right, yeah yeah, Arizona thirteen, San Diego seven. Last I saw they were up three zet Arizona. Yes, oh, well because they won. They won the doubles and then they won the first two first two singles match.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had the graphic I saw on Twitter s Arizona thirt. What did I tell you last year when we had the coach shieldfields, right, best coach be the best coach on campus.
Speaker 3: The Jacksonville. Jacksonville Jaguars have hired former Los Angeles Rams personal executive James Gladstone as the team's new general manager. The team announced Friday.
Speaker 4: I you know, these guys had They've got big decisions to make always, so we'll see how that goes for the Jags.
Speaker 3: Dodgers Bobby Miller has no fracture after being struck with a one hundred and five.
Speaker 4: I did, I did. He took a and the line drive right on the head, right on the forehead. The thing is, you know, he he went down immediately, got up on one knee. You know, he was holding his head, but he walked off and the whole bit. It wasn't a glancing blow. You know, it was a direct hit. And the first spring, first spring training game, he gets nailed.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it made me think, Okay, when a when a picture's gonna start wearing bagging.
Speaker 2: Helmets on the mound, like yeah.
Speaker 3: New York Yankees getting rid of decades old facial hair policy.
Speaker 4: I can make the tea, they said, nicely groomed, though, you got to put some edges on that thing. You can't just have a couple of hairs here, A couple of hairs there, right, what.
Speaker 2: Are you talking about? That's like yours a little patch? I actually shaved it. I do it once a week.
Speaker 3: NFL invests getting still investigating allegations versus Justin Tucker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, another guy man.
Speaker 4: Plus he's been he's been my he's been my fantasy kicker for like five years. I'm gonna have to kick him off my team. Yeah for unbecoming I'm becoming. Yeah, I'm becoming up a Gonzales Worthy.
Speaker 3: That's it for today's breaking news.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want I want to, I want to. I gotta throw a shout out here.
Speaker 4: My my niece sole Ponce her her mom Stephanie, is the principal at at Sunnyside Wrestling in the Sunnyside Right Wrestling for Sundayside at the state championships up in Phoenix. She's won her first two matches. She's twenty six and oh and she's going up in the semi finals against a wrestler who's thirty nine and one, so that should be a hell of a fight. But she's trying to win a state championship. It's her senior year. She's in one hundred and thirty eight pounds, class and trying to get after it. She's undefeated, so let's see what happens. But you know, Sunnyside is usual, uh you know, dominating up there, at least on the boy's side.
Speaker 2: But I want to gives so let a shout outs of good luck to her. Yeah. I think Sunnyside Soccer, the great soccer team that they had this year, one of the best in the country. Lost a couple of days ago.
Speaker 4: To depend It was a controversial, uh controversial thing reading and reading Javia Morale's report on that.
Speaker 2: Right right, the lost two to one in overtime and the goal that was scored was yeah, questionable that. I think the women, the women, the girls at sell Point are still alive in the open, so there's a still a lot of success.
Speaker 4: Well, and then the sell Point boys dropped to the right where they'll probably win it again for the thirty thousand times. Yeah, God, what else? What else was I was I going to throw out there? I've lost it. I can't remember, Steve, you know how that goes?
Speaker 2: Call that Tuesday Friday today.
Speaker 4: It's something I was going to make a point of bringing up. But uh, I'm just reading down here. I see that the Michigan's signed their basketball coach to a new contract.
Speaker 2: So he's not going to go to Dusk. He may won't be going to Indiana.
Speaker 4: You see, patin Oaks came out and said that they should go get Chris Beard. And then and then there was some speculation that that Doug mc cronan would be a candidate. If they put up with Bobby Knight, they could put up with mc cronan. Chris Beard would his stuff on from the from the game the other day where not only did he rip his players, he ripped the fans.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because because they're just Chris, they're having a bad, a bad, a bad impact on his team.
Speaker 2: Chris Beard would be fantastic and Indiana. He's a heck of a good coach and he went what he went through in Texas Tech. Yeah, but did you see And we talked about this. I had Pat Nuchan on yesterday and we talked about this, and I think you can agree to this because we haven't really told you and I haven't talked about it. But uh, coaches not going out high school kids anymore, right, because why are you gonna trust an eighteen nineteen year old coming in when you can get a transfer. It's already been there, done, ripped.
Speaker 4: Patino flat said, we're not recruiting high school players anymore. And then it came out that that Dion Sanders didn't take one recruiting trip and didn't make any m home business.
Speaker 2: Well that's that's his h This is why should I go there? They want to come to my home?
Speaker 4: Somebody was somebody reported that he had a two hundred thousand dollars travel budget for recruiting and he spent zero.
Speaker 2: So where does that go? I don't know. I know they'll put it on red or something. It goes to my contract. If I don't spend any money on this, do I get to keep it? Just to close the loop on this.
Speaker 4: Uh, Arizona Tennis did sweep San Diego actually their number fourteen, uh beating them four zepp It was almost fourteen, yeah, okay, and San Diego was seven and beat them for nothing.
Speaker 2: They have to they didn't have to finish the other three matches. Arizona was number ten before. Wonder how they feel whatever? Okay, oh anything else?
Speaker 3: We're good, Yeah, we're good.
Speaker 2: Okay, fort eleven we're gonna have Who would do what we say, Oh Cleio? Oh clear, So let's let's take a breakdown and get a hold of Clio and talk about his great career.
Speaker 1: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Want to just enter this nation wide keyword on our website green, That's great entering Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 6: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort. Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready Enterprise of Fasco Yaki.
Speaker 7: Try the window depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kip, we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 8: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 9: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose.
Speaker 2: The equipment you need to reach your goals.
Speaker 9: Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading it and exercise equipment on twenty second this quest of will not.
Speaker 10: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 11: Recognize your employees.
Speaker 10: Salespeople, managers and agents with a Creative Award from Creative Awards.
Speaker 11: It's time to restock your.
Speaker 10: Promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products.
Speaker 11: To choose from.
Speaker 10: Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership, Paul Voltpei is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A KO nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, got to commitment to Lindrix syn credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with don't notice?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 13: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtimecards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy show Time Cards for their passion.
Speaker 10: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bacall five two OHO seven to four to Roho twelve thirteen, brout sponsor.
Speaker 11: Of Iye on the Ball, Go Cats.
Speaker 8: Got Bugs, termites, bees or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Ess can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation. Today, baseball fans, it's time to experience the thrill of the game like never before. The World Baseball Classic Qualifiers coming to Tucson, Arizona, and you don't want to miss this incredibly event. For four action pack days, the world's best teams will compete for their spot in the Global Championship. The games are set for March second, third, fourth, and sixth. Join us at Keno Veterans Memorial Baseball Stadium Field. The excitement is powerhouse team from Germany, Brazil, China and Columbia take the field. Visit World Baseball Classic dot com to secure your seats today. This message is brought to you by the Southern Arizona Sports Tourism and Film Authority.
Speaker 7: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress.
Speaker 11: The Window Depot is here to help.
Speaker 7: At the Window Depot, we're your one stop warehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between.
Speaker 11: You'll find it all here.
Speaker 7: At the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, our experience designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you. Our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Bravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 11: Subscribe now to.
Speaker 1: The podcast on the iHeartRadio app just search I on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to line the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, You're Jay Gonzalez. You got Kobe here looking at the phones just in case mister Cleo Robinson calls us. Never tell you where I met Cleo? When or where?
Speaker 4: And when A long time ago nineteen seventy, No, nineteen eighty. I got a summer job working at the Juvenile Court center and he was a PR preparation officer.
Speaker 2: Then hold out, he's on the phone after Cleo is issue.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is Cleo.
Speaker 2: Hi, this is Steve and j we've had you on the show before. We're doing fine. Thank you. I think the last time we had you on was Jean was doing so well at Texas, Texas still at Texas. Congratulations on your great accomplishment. Did you you just hear Jay talking about when he first met you? Go ahead, do you remember where we met? Cleo?
Speaker 5: No, I didn't hear you, and I no, I don't. I can't recall.
Speaker 4: You were a young probation officer at the juvenile court and I was. I got hired for the summer to work in the in the office that did the calendar. So you guys used to we were right by the court courtrooms. These guys used to come and hang around in our office, and that's where I met you.
Speaker 2: How long were you all right? How long were your probation?
Speaker 5: How long were you were you with the summer just for the summer.
Speaker 2: I just worked for I was. I was filling in for a lady who was on maternity leave, So just for the summer, Cleo. I thought he was going to say, I met you when I was in the I had to go on.
Speaker 4: I was thinking down there, Lote, So you I think I had a job there, Cleo.
Speaker 2: I wasn't. I wasn't you know, a probation er. How long were you a probation officer?
Speaker 5: Six years?
Speaker 4: Twenty six years, all at the juvenile court or elsewhere?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, all that juvenile court. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so now we're calling you to see congratulations on what a great career you had as a referee. He an official? What made you decide to do it? How many times? How many years did you do it?
Speaker 5: I did it for forty seven years. I had a friend of mine named Lorenzo Cotton, and the meeting place for officials they met every Monday night. He would come by my apartment and you know, hang out there until he went to the meeting. And he asked me to try this five fishing. A number of times I said no, no, no, no. And then one day we was discussing rules and he said, well, come to the meeting you can learn the rules. So I went and I and I learned some things and I thought wow, because I was playing basketball a lot during that time. And I said, wow, I'm gonna give this a try. And right across the street there was a Salvation Army. This is that Empire Middle School where they met, and I once went over there and I asked the guy, do you need an official? He said yes. I said, well, I'm gonna give this a try. So when you meet and win on in the game. And he told me and he said, I even pay you three bucks a game. I said, whoa. So that's how I got started.
Speaker 4: That was a good one, exactly exactly. So well, you know, we know you went. You made it all the way up to being a PAC twelve ref. Uh you know major college football.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you.
Speaker 4: Did other leagues or not, but we know you were you know the Division one level. Did you have a favorite sport you liked to ref? And how many different sports did you?
Speaker 5: RERAF only ref two basketball? And I did do the big sky in basketball Division one. There I was the only official and two son ever worked too well? Two sports Division one sports? Wow, the other sports like baseball, it's twell, my what I told everyone if it doesn't have a clock, I'm not gonna work, you know, like baseball, tollball, going to football, and I started in basketball, but then next year I started doing football, and fortunately for me, I advanced in football a lot faster.
Speaker 2: When we have officials like you, guys, I asked as the question all the time when you're watching the game, you watch the game obviously to do your job, but are there there a time or two when you kind of like said to about a player or something. Wow, this dude's good.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, yes, I tell you the story all the time doing Reggie Bush.
Speaker 2: Wow, I tell the.
Speaker 5: People that a lot of times. You know, my job as a wingman there is to watch the block in front of the runner until he comes he get close to people.
Speaker 2: But it was.
Speaker 5: Difficult for me to do that with Reggie Bush because at any time he can make a fantastic move and I wanted to see it when he made that move. It was very difficult.
Speaker 4: Well, I think of all of all the players you saw, and that I mean a lot of us think the same thing, right, one of the greatest players we ever saw play, a guy like Reggie Bush.
Speaker 2: Who's who are there? Who are some others? That stick out for you.
Speaker 5: You know it's there. There's been so many, you know, like the running back I can't think of his name of the short guy had two names. He was tremendous.
Speaker 4: Uh uh uh uh Maurice Jones Drew.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, the guy he was Yeah, you know, you know I'm bad with name. That's why I'm kind of hesitating. But great running back at that Stanford.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: I can go through a lot, you know, like the quarterback that was that organ you know and stuff like that. There's a and the uh ul a quarterback, right, you know all these guys you know, you you you see him, but you don't get emotional attached to these guys, you know any kind of ways. Like guys really amendous. You know, you just have to call your call it game the way.
Speaker 3: You see it.
Speaker 2: And the funny thing about us, you related to one of the better ones, one of the best ones that come out of there.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you that you see you see bijon play, does he remind you of anybody that you saw, you know during your refereeing career.
Speaker 5: You know he really Reggie Bush a lot, he watched him an awful lot. Uh. Reggie was just a little bit more. Well, it's something that I told him that I noticed about Reggie Bush. Reggie didn't do it dipping and dabbing. He just cut and go. That's what John does a lot. Now. He just if I got some things to go, I might give you something, but I'm gonna plant and go and get get away from you as quickly as I can. And he's very good at that. I would say, Reggie Bush, you know, uh, there's some similarity. I think Reggie is a little fashion than him. But other than that, you know, they they there's something similarity there.
Speaker 2: You probably couldn't be more proud of beyond than anybody in the country. I mean, come on, of what he's done.
Speaker 5: That is very very true. I guess there's an instagram that came out today that some organization I think was Pro Football Focus something like that ranked him as the number two running back in the in the in the league, and that which was holly above sa One Barkley. So I thought, boy, this is something to minutes. He was second behind Derrick Henry and and and so uh and Jaric Henry is a specimen in himself, you know, but you know, he's very proud of him, you know, as you know, John lived with us. When his mother got married again, he decided he want to stay here. And I guess he married a gentleman, the great guy that had two kids and she had one and so but John thought, Hey, I seen him with my grandparents. I have my own room and everything. And I think that was good for him because I was able to afford to take him to the camps and stuff like that and get him into South Point and things like that, which which turned out to be the best thing for it. And also we worked out a lot. We were doing the ball a lot, doing a lot of things together.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, we know that he's you know, obviously comes from a special family you know of yours as as you know, sort of sort of a mentor for him. What what's been some of the advice that you've given him to make sure that one, you know, he takes care of himself and two that to understand, you know, what it takes to be successful at the level that he's at.
Speaker 2: What were you able to provide him as far as that goes?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 5: You know, one thing is focus, you know, just what you want to be focused on that, you know, and he did you know. You know, there's a number of times I felt, you know, but John, why don't you run track or why don't you play basketball? And he's atlantic to do that, and he he all his attention went toward him playing playing football because of the love of it. Attitude, have the right attitude, you know, Uh, don't be flashy or both you brag a by yourself and stuff like that. I told him that, you know, if you want a bag, you talk to me, and we do talk and he does things like that. But when you cross that line, you be another person, you know, concentration and the commission yourself and and and work as hard as you can. Uh, that's all down the line of being a nice guy too. We have that he has a strong Christian background, so that that was kind of easy to do. You know. One of the things, though I know other payers have done it, is as official. One time he did something that I said, from now, buddy, you give that ball to the nearest official. And he'll try and do that. Most of the time. Now in the NFL he doesn't do that, but uh, in college, he definitely did. In high school, he definitely did it all the time.
Speaker 2: You know, let's go back to you real quick. I can't remember how old you are. You can tell us if you want. But you did this a long time, you said, forty some years. You're still not stopping though, You're still going to continue on, just at a different level.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's correct. H I just stopped doing the high school. Uh. There's a lot of middle school basketball going on, and I decided I'll just continue doing that. I you know, one of the reasons I officiated is to help me stay in shape, you know, run up and down the floor. Of these younger guys will teach me in good shape. So that's why I decided I'll continue doing the middle school basketball. And there's just sometimes some tournament might come along I might get invouved in. And by the way, it's one of my age. I have no problem with that. I'm seventy eight.
Speaker 2: Now, fantastic.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying, holy coltum that I can't believe you that all. It's just like you're still running up and down the floor because you still have to run up and down the floor in middle school basketball, right.
Speaker 5: That is correct. It's correct even more so there because that game is really wild, you know, and regularly high school games, there's a lot of control in the game. In middle school a lot of time, there's a lot of little things going on and you want to be there. And I'm with middle school. A lot of times when I call something or they do something wrong, I tell that player what he did wrong. I see that as a learning stage for for for the young players.
Speaker 2: So we had we had a ref. I don't know, Jay, maybe a year or so ago, maybe a year and a half ago, because today's I want you to say this or or just your perspective on how difficult it is to be a ref because of the people in the stands, parents, the parents, and the just kind of like, you don't ref, you don't know what the hell and it's been going on for a long time. How did you deal with that?
Speaker 5: You know, I think it takes a special person to do that. You know, I kind of block it out. I try and concentrate what's in front of me and not what's behind me. Even with coaches, you know, a lot of times, though they say something, I'll get over closer to them. They don't have their stay and just say, coach, I'll take a look at it, or I missed that, or something down that line. But I try to block out the outside sources. Uh. I don't want to brag, but they're the saying if you call a good game, you don't have to worry about it.
Speaker 2: Did you of all the time? I'm sure you can count the number of people you you teed up or throughout in your career.
Speaker 5: Uh, there's some I technical. There's one that's a good friend of mine, now Jim Flannery and uh uh sell Point. He was kind of stup red. He was at south point of me saying Sunnyside. Now, those are the guys I did here with the technical and and you know, even like one time with Red he called me over, you want to talk to me, and I walked over to him. I take coach, if you make any count, yes, some mean she would have taken and he crossed his arm around his body down. Okay, just talk to you so you uh so you know you you have to learn how to deal with coach is the best way you can. You know. I can tell you, guys a really funny story you have the time you have, Okay, Lorenzo Cotton, he was the one to got me into officiating, and we were a roommate and I think my development was Be called said will make be. We compare things out the game to come home and we talk about rules and stuff like that. But a lot of time people mistake me for him and he for me. But he just shared a game one time and he came home and he said, uh, Cleo, let me tell you what happened today. He said, he threw out both coaches and a number of fans out of the gym. He just threw them all out. I said, wow, we had a rough game. He said, no, the whole game. They was calling me Cleo.
Speaker 2: No, you didn't kill.
Speaker 5: You in trouble.
Speaker 4: But were there ever any coaches that you just couldn't deal with or you dreaded working their games or anything. I'm not going to ask you to name them, but you know, were there some personalities out there that you just would rather not have to deal with?
Speaker 5: You know, there are some games and you're right. I don't want to say his name, but he was all always He just ran his mouth all the time. You know, you get to the point, like I said, Black and Milet, but you get to the point where it gets it just gets on your nerves, right. But you know, I and I particular, this one particular game. It was a big game. His team was undefeated, the opposing team was undefeated. They both teams are in the same neighborhood. I saw, it's the big rivery game, and we talked the ball and he medi he started talking and the first time out, not the time out doing player was free thrown. I wasn't stand in front of him, and I said, this is a big game, and I do not want to hear staying from you if you want to stay in this game, coach, and he shut up. Wow, you know, so you sometimes you kind of have to take charge of the situation. But yeah, but I every time I saw him on my schedule, I thought, oh, man, I gotta deal with this.
Speaker 2: So clearly. I know you're still going to be doing stuff at the lower level, at the junior high level, but but you've done this so long. Do you think you're gonna.
Speaker 5: Yes, you know, when you do something for forty seven years, it becomes a part of your life, you know. Even when I came home and my wife is at the game, he left and so forth, and I thought, well, I'm not gonna do this anymore. And even when I was walking off the floor. It hit me there. I'm not gonna do this anymore. I'm sure in time I'll be okay, but right now, like when I stopped doing the Pac twelve football, I missed it for a couple of years, but I had other things to do. I could go see but John play every game game compared to when I was doing Pac ten football. Uh, PAC twelve, I could not. I only saw him playing like two or three times during the season.
Speaker 4: When you see what college athletics is now, particularly football, right with nil and these quarterbacks, you know, college quarterbacks now who are making millions of dollars now they're essentially professional athletes. Would you have liked to still be doing this with guys you know who might maybe think a little more of themselves than maybe they used to.
Speaker 2: You think it's changed a bit.
Speaker 4: How do you think you would have handled some of that or would it be different?
Speaker 5: You know that would not impact me at all because you know that's administrative type stuff and off field type stuff, so they wouldn't impact me. But I'll tell you if I personally, I don't particularly care for it. My thinking is he set amount that the most player can get. Periods. You know, maybe fifty thousand dollars now that way, keep it on it even until that way, keep there like Arizona compete with Protections player for player. You know, there's no way Arizona going to get that player, but he might be able to get him a pay both compaying fifty thousand. Now if he gets there and make a name for himself and outside people give him somebody, that's fine. But let's keep it even even for all teams to be able to get that. And it bothers me, especially multiplayers. They they don't know how to hell of.
Speaker 2: Him money exactly, you know.
Speaker 5: Uh, they just get there and they all of a sudden they got to buy a big fancy card and mess around. I think you lose the eye of the tiger a lot of times when when something is given to you too early.
Speaker 2: I think we're seeing there by the way, we got to call. Uh, we'll take this call. It's Bejon saying he wants to argue with you because he doesn't want to just make me Lamborghini.
Speaker 5: And I'm a little contradicting myself here, but get them And I was thinking, who.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly? Maybe him money. I'll tell them to call later. So one last question. Maybe you you you ripped for this long. Obviously you must have seen high school personalities and young kids personalities. Did they used to give you grief? No grief, and now they gave you grief? How was the personalities when they were calling when you'd call their games?
Speaker 5: You know, for the most one ninety nine percent of the players did not say too much. There was a few that might have some comments that, uh, did you have trouble dealing with and you try and get to the I'm gonna tell the coach and you better get this players under control because of all he's gonna do is hurt your team. But now players come up and saying, uh, telling about a call, and I'd just tell him I was right then, and I'll call it the same way to tell you if I had to do it right exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, cleo, we appreciate your time, Congratulations from this career and keep you you know.
Speaker 5: And thanks for the invite, Jay and Steete. When I got to Tech, I didn't know where it was come from because I just saw the phone number. But after find out who it was from, out, oh yes, I definitely do that.
Speaker 4: Thank you, you know, I mean, you know, we you know, if you have kids in town who were in Matthew who were in sports, you know, I'm sure you called a game.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, I saw you over the years when I was, you know, taking my kids through high school and stuff. So thank you because that's a that's a long time to be doing what you did. And really we know you didn't do it for the money. You did it for the good of the kids. And that's great.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna say and I'm gonna say I'm sorry because I always thought you were mister Carton.
Speaker 5: That's good. Thank you man, that's great, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank god. One of one of the all time great guys in athletics and two on sports, all time great guys. Right, you know, that was fun. That was good. That was okay. Let's take a break and maybe take some calls. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Listens from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach listens from Newton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 15: Hey wilk at Nation Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team over at Arizona Health Insiders. I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the Exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four a doho three five five one four four four four A zero three five five one four four four.
Speaker 10: What's your goal? A new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmond Markets All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Caampble or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 13: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 9: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 5: Lead madge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 11: I'm twenty second just west of Wilmot, Tucson.
Speaker 10: It's time for the Colo Guard Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Poloma Country Club and the Weston La Poloma Resort and Spa. Come see some of golf's greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson Canquisodor's helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship Golf at its finest.
Speaker 11: Don't forget to.
Speaker 10: Join us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and Coet Sol live in concert at Riedo Park. The Coli Guard Classic by Exact Sciences benefiting colorectal cancer awareness in Tucson Youth sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo Guard Classic dot com. This that is brought to you by fall Bomb Crowley Investment Group at RBC Wealth Management.
Speaker 16: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's peas mean more money in your pocket. Let's have some means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less's More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union, where less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to all here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, your Jay Donzalez, and we have Kobe finishing out. We got about twelve minutes, two minutes, yeah to finish. Anybody want to call, let us know what you're thinkings game? Yep, you know. Do you have a spread? Yeh? Look it up real quick. Okay.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's available yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sometimes it's it's again.
Speaker 4: But but on some of the bigger games, you do get you do get the next day line.
Speaker 2: Yes, here it is.
Speaker 4: Seven and a half seven wow, seven and a half, seven and a half over under.
Speaker 2: What would you do one and a half. Oh, I would go over. I would go over seven and a half. I don't know what I would do.
Speaker 4: Well, that's that's why it's a good number. It's good, right, you don't know which one to do. I think it seems like a lot. It does, it does and and b way you catches fire.
Speaker 2: Right. They're in trouble, right, don't the wins this going away? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Their minus three twenty five on the money line, just to win the.
Speaker 2: Game to Don't tell me what you would you do, because that just I don't know. I honestly I don't know what I would do. Okay, we just checked the phones because just in case five two zero, four, one, six, seventy four forty. But you know what, you know it's gonna be fun. Did you have time to uh when you're not doing your stats? Last game Houston? Looking up and seeing this crowd, I was, you know, I was a little disappointed in the upper level. Yes, that's where exactly was going to go with it. It was still something. It wasn't jammed. It wasn't It was great. Yeah, it was very good. And it was loud, now that's what I meant. But it wasn't jammed. It wasn't jammed. There was there were some empty seats up there, right, and even know where those even the seats right but you know to the left of us, just right here. Yeah, there was that was a little I didn't see that, but I did.
Speaker 4: I did look up because I mentioned as we were standing up for the national anthem, I said, man, it's still awful empty right, well, ten more minutes, I know, but still for ten minutes before the game. And again, you know in Arizona, Arizona fan has to step up a little bit. When you go to Iowa State, when you go to I think Texas Tech, you go to Kansas, the seats are full fifteen twenty minutes before game time.
Speaker 2: Even more now the Zonas who has been good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but but you know the arena get you know, our fan, don't they get there at game time.
Speaker 2: They've done that all they've always done that. You know, go to the other arena. You know what it takes.
Speaker 4: What would it take is for you to visit an arena, go to a go to a Kansas game, go to a Texas Tech, and go to a batter game. And those people are in their seats early, making noise, getting the getting the getting the environment, you know, going all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm gonna use that transition. Okay, how can I do that? If I if I you want me to travel to another school, but I got to pay a search charge on every ticket that I would. Oh, you know, I'll let you know what. Okay, do you want? Do you want to win? So so you're happy with you're okay with it. I don't mind it. How many people you think are are not much.
Speaker 4: I know there's some that do mind it, you know, I know there's people who aren't gonna get taken. I'm not gonna pay another fifty bucks to give it to that kid over there.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the thing. In your group of ten or whatever, I'm sure at least half we're not happy. No, that's that's that's wrong. They're all happy. They're all fine with it. I'm not gonna say they're happy. They're they're hate or disconnected. They want to win and they other stand. Do you think that's going to help them win.
Speaker 4: If it helps them get players, Yes, it's going to help them win.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: You know the so the fifty dollars surcharge per ticket, there's twenty twenty thousand season tickets. That's a million bucks that you can go out and get players with to offset.
Speaker 2: The twenty million. That's still not a lot to me. No it's not, but it's it's it's a way to get everybody to commit to that and to be a part of it, so that you're just not going to ask Bert Lopez or Jim Click or Edmund Marquez or somebody like that and say.
Speaker 4: Here, give us a whole bunch of your money, you know, Cole and Jeanie Davis or whatever, those those ones who have names on the buildings and things like that. This is a this is where you know, somebody says, I'm doing my part.
Speaker 2: So do you think that coming years that there'll be season tickets will be up or down? I bet you they're down anybody. Yeah, but not only.
Speaker 4: Because of the fifty dollars because the you know already I'm you know, I already heard you know.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I talked to somebody who's involved in all that and said, yeah, you know, one of the first calls I got was, well, you guys aren't good enough for me to pay another fifty bucks a ticket through not And I.
Speaker 2: Get that too. I get that, you know, but you got to win. If you win, people don't mind. You got a call maybe they'll talk about this. Hello, you're on the airline of the ball.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's T money, T money.
Speaker 2: You spending money to money. Uh, I'll pay what I have to pay.
Speaker 17: But I was thinking about this, and it might sound kind of corny, but maybe there's a good way to get the community involvement in that you have something where pick or pick your favorite restaurant, whatever, whatever, any any of these establishments, any of these local establishments where you have a fond name it whatever you want to name it.
Speaker 14: Maybe it's a certain day or certain an opt in, but you know, on top of your meal here at this place, there's a certain percentage that goes then to an il fund for University of Arizona, and that could be you know across the city, and you know people can opt in, you know, like kind of how they do with these different charities. But that was just something I've been kicking around, but I've never heard anybody talk about it.
Speaker 4: Yea, you know, there's God, They're going to have to create some ways, right and maybe that's you know, have a u of a night and say, you know, we're gonna put a three percent on your on your tab and that goes to an I l I could see I could see something like that.
Speaker 2: You know, some people don't give a call.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I mean, if it's marketed right, right, I think people would would.
Speaker 2: Love to feel like this.
Speaker 18: I mean, you're only going to have so many season ticket holders, like just by definition, right, but you do have a town of over a million, and and I would dare to say they're all they're all Cats.
Speaker 17: Fans, And if somebody could put something.
Speaker 14: Together that's biable, I think people would would literally buy in.
Speaker 2: I think Rady was trying to think about doing that. Hey, so was this the reason you called?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 11: That was it pretty much?
Speaker 4: Okay, well it's actually a constructive suggestion, which that's the kind of stuff we need.
Speaker 2: Right. That's someone who just.
Speaker 4: Saying I'm not paying another fifty bucks, get that out of here, you know.
Speaker 18: Tell you what, I'm actually kind of open to this new tax that's coming across. Like I've never said this before, but it's kind of like, you know what, our city streets and all our infrastructure is.
Speaker 17: So bad that I'm kind of like, Okay, what have we got to do now? I don't know, maybe, uh, maybe you guys could run for office.
Speaker 4: Politics skeletons in the closet, team running skeletons in the closet, you could be my pr.
Speaker 17: I mean maybe you can, maybe you can run for president.
Speaker 4: Then well yeah, that's right, Well those aren't those things are out in the open.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got it. Hey, only those hosts can be funny. Don't do that again, thanks, man.
Speaker 18: Hey, if the Cats don't win by ten, we suck.
Speaker 5: Come out.
Speaker 4: He's some people like that. They said, b yu. Do you guys remember a name Jimmer Fredett.
Speaker 2: That's all you need to know.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of yeah, yeah, no there you know, you know again, getting back to that. Look, if you're complaining about it and they are, and they are they are, well then fine, you know, don't don't go to the games. But it's something that you know, I'm surprised it's fifty bucks. This is for season ticket holders yet, right a season ticket costs fifty dollars.
Speaker 2: So if I if I go just to get a regular regular game ticket, that's not gonna right anyway, right.
Speaker 4: Right, I'll tell you what I'm actually more upset about. You know, the chair backs that are you know that are installed. You know, we get two of those. Those went up thirty dollars. Those went up from fifty to eighty dollars.
Speaker 2: And those are built into the Yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 4: So that you don't have to carry your own seat. And you know, you know, fat guy like me, I got to have some back support. So so you know, my my wife and I get those and uh, and it's great to have.
Speaker 2: Those are the ones that you stick in there.
Speaker 4: No, no, the ones that if you if you ever look at the stadium in the off season, you see a bunch of blue seats, it's those that they come in, they install them, they're there when you get there. You don't have to carry anything in. Those went up from fifty to eighty dollars. I'll give you one solution. Stop being a fat guy.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm sixty five. My back, my back just sucks with them with a fat guy or skinny guy. But now, but you know, the price of football is going up, the price of all ATHLETs is going up because they got to pay the play everywhere everyone. If you think, if you think I'm not going to do that, then you're just not You're not going to get to go to games right well, and that's just not a football that's in every sporty sport. They got to pay these athletes in every sport. Here's an issue that I have. I think the kids are are not getting they're getting paid, well, not all of them, but they're getting paid. Well. I'm sure they're getting paid more than me. I'm sure they're getting paid more than you. How are they taking money from me when they're getting more money than me? Well, because we don't get hit in the mouth. For one, you know, I love watching game five days a week.
Speaker 4: You know, we don't have to get up for training, table, go to go, go lift, go to school.
Speaker 2: Did you what did you become this apologist?
Speaker 4: I'm understanding. I'm understanding.
Speaker 2: What did you start going to therapy? You know what?
Speaker 4: That's when I left the show. I thought this was your therapy. I left the show and all of a sudden stuff became real to me. But you know, Steve, the price, you know the price of watching sports, And you're right. Some people are going to say, well, then you want, I'll just stay home and watch And that's what that's what that's like.
Speaker 2: It's gonna have to put up with.
Speaker 4: They're gonna have to do things like one, reduce coach of salaries, right, yes, right, yes, reduce coach of salaries things like that. Fix things so that Stanford and Cal don't have to be going out to the East coast to play. Yeah right, stay within your region so travel costs are less.
Speaker 2: Is that all? That? Is that realistic? Though? I'm talking about the salaries of the coaches because that is growing up opened.
Speaker 4: That thing is open, and Niki, I was just hearing, you know, they're talking today about how I was listening to a podcast talking about who's on the hot seat in the you know, in the sec you know, football football, you know Kaylin de boor Brian Kelly, you know that not so so much on the hot seat, but that if they don't really But then talking about, well if kaylen Borg gets fired after let's say in two years, it's a sixty million dollar buyot, Well.
Speaker 2: Why did you give him that?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Right? And if he said I have to have that, then you say we'll go get us another coach. Yeah, that's just not how it works. Well someone was one of those it's going to have work like, pay him twenty million dollars to get mediocre here too, exactly. So No, it's not a it's not a it's a tough situation all the way around. We gotta go, giving me that we gotta go side. Thanks Jane for coming in. Hey glad to be here again. This is fun. Let's doude again next week. Fifty bucks, I can buy tickets extra ticket. Thanks, Thanks Kobe, whatever your name is, all right,