Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King. Good morning. It's five o'clock, straight up.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Thursday, June twelfth.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. It's going to be a very busy day. Of course, We've got curfews and protests and all kinds of things developing there. And then we've got word of a plane crash in India that's still developing.
Speaker 3: We will get you the latest on that as it comes in.
Speaker 1: And of course the very important stuff we were talking yesterday about how I got myself locked out of my Facebook account when I tried to update the password, which I was supposed to do because there was that data breach, and even Apple was saying, hey, change your passwords. I'm back in thanks to junior producer Matt well Rich Demiro got us started down the road. And then, because I am not very techy, Matt who's in training on wake Up Call and with KNO this week. He came in and walked me through it and by golly, I'm back in business. I didn't see anything interesting, but I'm back in. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. As I mentioned, that plane with two hundred and forty two people on board has crashed in western India. The plane was just at six hundred and twenty five feet about a couple minutes after takeoff when it slammed into a residential area and burst into flames. The plane was a Boeing seven eighty seven to eight Dreamliner. It was headed to London. There's no word on whether there are any survivors. We've got ABC's and as De la Katara joining us to give us the latest.
Speaker 3: That's coming up in about three minutes.
Speaker 1: Dozens more people have been arrested after a sixth straight day of anti ICE protests in downtown La. Many of the arrests were for violating curfew, which is in effect from eight o'clock at night until six am, so just over an hour or under an hour left on the curfew for today. Along with the protests in downtown LA, there have been protests outside hotels where ICE agents are staying, including in Whittier and Pasadena. Forty five thousand grocery store workers at Ralph's, Vaughn's, Pavilions, and Albertson's in southern California have voted overwhelmingly to authorize a strike. The authorization doesn't necessarily mean the workers will strike. The protests in LA have already spread to a few other cities. Are they going to go nationwide? And also, preparations are underway for the Army's two hundred and fiftieth birthday celebration. There's big parade in Washington, d C. ABC's crime and Terror analyst Brad Garrett is going to join us at FIVEOIN twenty to talk about security and how that could be an extra challenge.
Speaker 3: Tensions rising in Tehran.
Speaker 1: ABC's Jerdana Miller says, the US is getting non essential personnel and families out of the Middle East.
Speaker 3: What might that signal?
Speaker 1: Also, if you think you're eating healthy fruits and vegetables, that kind of thing. Two new foods have landed on the Dirty Dozen list. We're going to tell you what they are coming up at the bottom of the hour. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Many businesses in downtown LA say they're feeling the effects of the protest and curfew imposed by the city. Restaurants of the area say people are either afraid to go or can't because of the curfew. Chef Josh Espinoza of Sampa says they're doing what they can to make it work.
Speaker 4: Our business thrives probably from six to ten o'clock. Probably you can say eighty percent of our revenues from those times. I know it's temporary, but at the end of the day, the show must move on.
Speaker 3: Heather Brooker KFI News.
Speaker 1: Mayor Bass continues to speak out against the ice raids and the Trump administration for bringing the National Guard and Marines into the city.
Speaker 5: I posit that maybe we are part of a national experiment to determine how far the federal government can go in reaching in and taking over power from a governor, power from a local jurisdiction.
Speaker 1: Bass says the White House is out of line. Governor Newsim has called on President Trump to get the National Guard and Marines out of LA. A federal court hearing is scheduled on whether the Trump administration can use the National Guard and Marines to assist with immigration raids. In La Governor newsim as Im engine filed an emergency motion requesting the court's intervention after Trump ordered the deployment of four thousand National Guard members and seven hundred marines. The hearing is scheduled for this afternoon in a federal court in San Francisco. Let's take a first look at your morning commute. We've got Mike and I'm not sure what we've got, but we'll check in with Mike Morris.
Speaker 3: What you got.
Speaker 6: Maybe unfortunate lay a big hot spot in San Bernardino. Two fifteen southbound before Palm Avenue. One of the middle lanes taken away. It's the number two lane. It's going to be closed for a while because of a clean up operation in connection with an earlier big rig fire. That rig was engulfed in flames. It was a serious problem here meantime, two fifteen southbound very slow from the fifteen and devor down two Palm Avenue. Also in the Inland Empire two ten westbound before Iola Drive, it's a multi vehicle accident clearing from the left hand lane. You do have reduced speeds from State Street on the west two ten onto the seventy one southbound just before Mission Street, A two vehicle collision is over on the right hand shoulder. You do have delays though, between the ten and sixty freeways as you head to Chino Hills. Ninety one westbound just before Lakewood Boulevard. It's a free vehicle crash and one of those vehicles facing the wrong direction in the carpoo lane. You might find delays here ninety one eastbound to the six to five southbound. That connector road is closed for Caltrans repairs for another hour. One I went northbound the Hollywood Freeway before the ten is installed, pickup truck blocking lanes with Southern California's most Accura traffic reports Mike Morris.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Mike.
Speaker 1: Mike's going to keep you up to date on how you can get around easily hopefully today, and whether the protests are going to continue to affect traffic.
Speaker 3: We're waiting to connect with Inez.
Speaker 1: De la Catera, who's going to have the latest for us on that crash in India. Again, it happened this morning, just a couple hours ago, and it looks just horrific. I mean, the crash scene, it looks like it crashed into a residential area, and as we wait for Inez to come through, we will get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. Anti ice protests have spread from LA to several other cities. Protests have broken out in New York, Chicago, Las Vegas, Denver, Saint Louis, and Washington, d C. Ahead of possible protests, Texas Governor Greg Abbott has deployed the National Guard to.
Speaker 3: Ensure peace and order.
Speaker 1: Some parents of students at an elementary school in Amityville, New York, say they are outraged after a staff member dressed as an ice agent for Hero Day. It happened yesterday at Northwest Elementary School. The Amityville Union Free School District says the faculty member in question has been reassigned to a non school setting pending a review of what happened. The State Department is telling all non essential staff to leave the embassy in Iraq as tensions flare between the US and Iran. Staff members are also being told to leave the embassies in Kuwait and Bahrain. The order came Wednesday after Iran threatened to target US military bases in the Middle East. The US and Iran I reportedly reached a stalemate in their nuclear negotiations, and President Trump is threatened to strike Iran if the talks fail. Yesterday, Iran's defense minister responded to Trump's threats by saying it will target without hesitation, US bases within its reach. Veteran ABC correspondent Terry Moran has been fired after posting on x that President Trump and advisor Stephen Miller are world class haters.
Speaker 7: This is an unprecedented time.
Speaker 1: USC journalism expert Christina Bellantoni says Moran's firing raises questions about personal expression versus objectivity in the digital age. ABC said Moran's comments violated its strict neutrality and professionalism policies.
Speaker 6: We've seen Twitter becomes sort of a personal platform.
Speaker 1: Moran's contract is not being renewed, though some claim they bowed to pressure from the White House. President Trump was greeted with a mixture of booze and cheers at the Kennedy Center for a performance of Les Miz last night. Some cheered when Trump entered the theater. Others booed, shouted expletives, and called him a felon. Jump took control of the Kennedy Center and named himself the board chair earlier this year. Okay, looks like we've connected with ABC's and as de la Kata. Thanks for coming on with us so last minute. So we know that this just happened. It's still developing and there's a lot we don't know, but let's tell it. Tell us please, what we do know so far about the crash of the Air India passenger plane.
Speaker 2: Hey, good morning Amy. Yeah, I mean lots of moving parts here. So we know that the plane was heading from a Metabad in India to London's Heathrow Airport. There were two hundred and forty two passengers on board. Of those two hundred and forty two passengers, one hundred and sixty nine were Indian nationals, fifty three are British nationals, one is a Canadian and there were also seven Portuguese nationals on board. This was a Boeing seven to eighty seven eight Dreamliner. That's important because there has never been a crash on this type of aircraft before. There has never been a fatality due to an incident on a seven eighty seven, and this is the first destroyed seven eighty seven. The pictures coming out of the crash site are really dramatic. I mean, smoke billowing off in the distance were the first pictures we saw. And then a picture came out showing the tails the plane that had kind of crashed into a building. The big question is whether there are any survivors. We are not sure at this point. There were images circulating showing patients kind of being wheeled into a hospital, but it's unclear who those people are really and you know what condition they're in, Okay.
Speaker 1: And as part of the confusion too, is because the plane crashed into a residential area, so we don't know if it was people on the plane or people on the ground who might have been injured.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. Yeah, crashed in a busy area. We understand it crashed into or on top of a medical center. So it's unclear, Yeah, who these people being brought to the hospital are, if they are survivors, or if they were people who were nearby. And we'll just have to wait and see, you know, as more details emerged just what happened here. We understand the plane went down about a minute after takeoff, so you know, something must have gone wrong with the takeoff itself. As far as the investigation, how that's going to unfold. You know, India will lead the investigation. The NTSB will likely be requested, so we're waiting to find out, you know what they have to say. Boeing will be a party to the investigation as the manufacturer here of the plane and the UK. We are expecting the UK to be involved as well, because the plane was heading there and because the UK did have citizens on board.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you said that it crashed literally a minute after takeoff, and I had heard reports earlier that it was only at an elevation of about six hundred feet I mean, so it was really soon after takeoff.
Speaker 3: And do we know if there was a mayday call?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. So we have that same reporting that this happened at ten eight am local time at six hundred and twenty five feet and yeah, even our reporting is less than a minute after takeoff. So yeah, happened very quickly. It was very sudden. But again we just don't know what happened yet. Yeah, there's gonna be questions as to you know, the calls that were made. They're going to try and retrieve the black boxes, as they always do when there's a crash, so just waiting for more information there on just what happened here. Just really a dramatic, dramatic moment and very sad day.
Speaker 1: They're in India, okay, and with five million people in that area, that in just in that city. I would imagine that somebody is going to have video of the crash and I don't know if that might provide some insight, but hopefully hopefully that will help us they try to piece together what happened.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yeah, I mean we are starting to see so I haven't seen the video of the actual crash yet, but we are starting to see more and more video coming outs. It was first we saw just the billowing smoke in the background, taken by passenger who had just gotten off a plane at the airports. Two smoke billowing in the distance, and then you know, we're starting to see more and more of the actual crash site. I haven't yet seen any images of the actual you know, crash itself, but of course in the you know, recent months, we have seen you know, you think back to the South tragic moment in South Korea when that plane crashed and there's actually video of the plane landing on the runway and then crashing into that wall. So yeah, in this day and age, you know, it's very easy for people to whip out their phones and capture those moments. So we'll have to see if that video comes out.
Speaker 1: Okay, AB season ESDA, look at Sara. Thanks so much for getting us the information on this. We'll keep watching for more. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 1: So tragic and interesting that boeing the Dreamliner. There's never been any fatalities until now, and since it happens so close after takeoff. They're also talking about where were the flaps set properly?
Speaker 3: Was everything on the plane?
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, it's a little early to talk about whether anything nefarious was going on, but they'll be watching when we come back. The protests in LA have already spread to a few other cities. Will they go nationwide. We're going to be talking with ABC's crime and Terror analyst Brad Garrett about that and also the Army's two hundred and fiftieth birthday celebration parade that's happening in DC.
Speaker 3: I just love their music.
Speaker 1: I don't listen to it very often, but I was watching I think I was watching ABC last night and they did.
Speaker 3: A whole Oh no, it was one of the local channels.
Speaker 1: It was Channel five, and the entertainment reported to this whole feature on Brian Wilson and it was just amazing, Like go back and listen to the music.
Speaker 3: It's just astounding.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to ABC's Crime and Terror analyst Brad Garrett. Of course we're talking about the protests which now are not only in LA but seemed.
Speaker 3: To be catching.
Speaker 7: So that actually shouldn't surprise anybody.
Speaker 4: Amy.
Speaker 7: I mean the approach that ICE seems to be using. And I get while they're using this approach because it appears they have to by mandate arrests a lot of people every day, that it's going to cause disruptions. I mean, you're you're basically going after people who are keep many communities together together from a work standpoint, And I mean, think about the number of jobs is at a Los Angeles salone that are worked by immigrants. Obviously some of them are you know, they go, but it touches a lot of nerves, That's what I'm saying. And so when you have such a large law enforcement, but in particular military presence, I think it creates a lot of anxiety and rage in people that probably have exacerbated your demonstrations and riots.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then the other thing I think that comes into play, and correct me if I'm wrong, but is that it seems that they've spread so quickly, but now everybody sees everything, whether they're watching it on TV and so many or on social media, and you can organize these things quickly.
Speaker 7: There is no doubt. And then you of course have the element of people that show up that are just there to incite problems in trying to get the crowd to do things that they normally wouldn't do, like throw things at the police or try to harm the police or whatever it might be, or destruction of property. So you have to sort out those folks and figure out who they are. These things are so complicated, as you well know, and it's so layered some of the things I mentioned earlier that the emotions play into this, history plays into this. You know, it's still for many of us sort of baffling that the military is there. I mean, it looked like to me lapd Is Scott a pretty good handled on this, And my concern is that what is going on in Los Angeles a version of that that may well go on in other cities where they bring in a large military presence maybe when it's not needed, and it you know, potentially exacerbates the situation and can make it much worse than it should be.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so then we were talking about some of the people who were there who are just instigators.
Speaker 3: Like so when we say mostly peaceful, but then.
Speaker 1: It's sort of a I don't know if it's completely accurate because you see mostly peaceful, but then you see people getting in the face of police officers and blocking traffic and that kind of stuff and not following the rules, like people just seem to want to get into a fight.
Speaker 7: Well, you also have to look at it. There's a psychology of groups of moms of people, and let's just use an example of people who are there to just incite wrongdoing. Basically, they can have an infectious impact on people that are around them that they all of a sudden feel like maybe justified to do something they normally wouldn't do. So you can actually turn a crowd into you know, your own needs and desires if you're the person there to start some sort of unlawful act and so there's that problem, and you know it's happened time and time again. It tends to be of a nature. But you know, nobody could do anything about that other than trying to figure out who the instigators are and then go after them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we've got a parade coming up this weekend to celebrate the Army's two hundred and fiftieth anniversary, and we know there's a big military display, and it's something that President Trump had wanted. Is that you would mentioned there's a security risk with that? Is that because of the protesters just in general?
Speaker 7: Well just in general, But if you listen to the to the folks in charge here, like the police chief of d C, I mean she said there is no credible threat. That's probably true. I mean, if you think about the level of security and the number of events that occur in this city where you have hundreds of thousands of people coming in for various events, inaugurations or whatever it might be, that you know, this is another large gathering. I think they think two hundred thousand plus, but they put up nineteen miles of barricades to give you an idea, that's a lot. They're already telling that's a lot, and they're telling you know, DC is not a big place, and they're telling people you're going to see drugs flying around. So that's how they're going to keep track, and you know you can get a great picture as you well know, in a real time, you're going to have agents, detectives, officers probably playing close to the crowd. They're going to have CCTV and so you know, it'll be all hands on deck for probably every federal agent in DC and the surrounding area that have some security involvement in this. So it's a you know, it's a huge, huge expense to pull this off. I mean, can you imagine. I mean there's going to be like one hundred and fifty military vehicles, which include seventy ton Abrams tank.
Speaker 1: Well, I would think because of that that people would be less likely to get riled up if there's all that firepower.
Speaker 7: There, you would think. And obviously they're not going to be able to walk up to those tanks. Yeah, it's because of the fencing along the way. But I think that the mayor is concerned about what it's going to do to the roads in DC.
Speaker 3: We'll have to watch.
Speaker 1: And see what happens, and hopefully it'll be a nice celebration and there won't be any problems, but we'll have to wait and see. ABC's Crime Terror analyst Brad Garrett, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: As always, you alcome when we come back.
Speaker 1: Two more foods that you thought were really good for you have been put on the list of the Dirty Dozen.
Speaker 3: I hate this, don't.
Speaker 1: You hate when you think that you're eating something good and you're like, oh, yay, I'm being healthy and then you find out maybe not so much.
Speaker 3: There is a list called the Dirty Dozen.
Speaker 1: It's compiled from government testing on non organic produce by the Environmental Working Group or EWG, and they put out a list of what they call the Dirty dozen, and that again is foods that you think are healthy but may not be because of pesticides.
Speaker 3: And on the.
Speaker 1: Dirty Dozen lists for this year there's two new ones, blackberries, which I love, and potatoes.
Speaker 3: Here's the whole list.
Speaker 1: Spinach tops the list with more pesticide residue by weight than any other produce tested. Also strawberries, tale grapes, peaches, cherries, nectarines, pears, apples, blackberries, blueberries, and then again potatoes. So be careful and this is somebody they're they're promoting organic produce. There's another group that said, hey, you know what, you should have a choice when you're shopping for fruits and vegetables, but you shouldn't have your choices be influenced by this list because they're pushing an agenda.
Speaker 3: So you can take it for what it's worth.
Speaker 1: But the Dirty does and now has blackberries and potatoes on it. Time to get down and dirty and get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe.
Speaker 3: Morning, Courtney, good morning. Okay, so this.
Speaker 1: Is not healthy at all, but it's probably fun. Gummy snacks and Tom Brady now have a new relationship.
Speaker 8: But you know what, he's very big on health, and this is one of the factors that's going to set this gummy product apart. So Tom Brady has launched this new line of fruit gummies called, of course, Goat Gummies. The snack contains no artificial sweeteners, dies and it's actually made with real fruit, it's organic, it's vegan, and it comes in three flavors.
Speaker 3: But gummies are a really hot item right now when you think about it.
Speaker 8: In the snack Aisle, Grandview Research tallied it up and they said the mare gets expected to grow close to twelve percent each year. So you can get these go gummies right now. The only place you can get it is through delivery platform Go Puff if you're looking for that. But of course, as a New York fan for life, I don't want to buy them with their rivalry obviously.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's talk about Amazon's grocery business.
Speaker 3: There's some shaking going on.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so big changes coming to that business. Mainly they're going to exert more control over Whole Foods. So Amazon acquired Whole Foods close to eight years ago and the grocer has pretty much been running independently from the mothership. But now Amazon says, we're going to restructure the business. We're going to integrate Whole Foods corporate staff under the Amazon umbrella, along with the Amazon Fresh supermarkets and the Amazon Go convenience stores. But the main goal here is to streamline their grocery operations, cut down on duplicate efforts. But this is pretty big for a lot of Whole Foods customers. They say that Whole Foods is going to continue to adhere to its quality standards that.
Speaker 3: Sets it apart from other grocers.
Speaker 1: Okay, but the big question that I have, Courtney, is is it going to bring the prices down so it's no longer called whole paycheck?
Speaker 3: Probably not.
Speaker 8: But Amazon has been having some issues within this business. It's funny because any business it seems to go in, it overtakes, but it seems with the grocery business they've had a lot more struggles with it.
Speaker 3: But Whole Foods is a little bit run, a.
Speaker 8: Little bit stronger than some of the other business some of their upstarts, the other ones that I mentioned, the Amazon Fresh and Amazon Go markets, So they're hoping in a way, I think what's happening at Whole Foods is going to rub off on the rest of the rest of the grocery business.
Speaker 1: Okay, we have a victorious secret had a hack, so many companies have, and now they have unveiled how much they lost because of it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, twenty million dollars. That's going to be the hits of sales this quarter. So the security incident, in case you didn't hear, people didn't hear, it disrupted the retailer's website and some store services especially was really down for about three days.
Speaker 3: So they do say that.
Speaker 8: Their critical systems are now fully operational. Management also added that it's well in the recovery phase from the issue, including finalizing the investigation. Another thing that's a big worry for the retailers right now is tariffs, and they expect the impact from tariffs will be about fifty million dollars for the year.
Speaker 3: That's not a great year for Victoria's Secret.
Speaker 8: Okay, no, and it's not a great year for a lot of retailers because of that.
Speaker 1: All right, getting in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, Donaho, as we do every day, and we'll do it again tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Thanks Courtney.
Speaker 1: Definitely see you later, okay when we come back. Tensions arising in Tehran. ABC's Jodannah Millers is the US is getting non essential personnel and families out of the Middle East. What might that signal. We'll let you know. That's coming up in just a couple of minutes. Beach Boys music in honor of Brian Wilson, who died yesterday at the age of eighty two.
Speaker 3: What a legend. I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime it's on the iHeartRadio app,