Speaker 1: Hello, Yeah, what's up? Man? We got technical, we got technical difficult, technical difficult. That's going on over here right now.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Yes we do.
Speaker 1: We're blaming on Fred till he comes on. If you yeah, we're blaming on Fred.
Speaker 2: We're blame on Fred. I didn't get that, member, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Like going on, lot going on, and a lot going on this past weekend, ed we got to get to all of that. Man, some great, some great NFL games. But but man, that the Dodgers. Dodgers. Oh, I mean, I know we're getting down to the wire and we're getting down to to playoff time and Dodgers are still in a dog fight to get into to win the division.
Speaker 2: It's getting closer.
Speaker 3: But that game yesterday for me, and then I'll hear what you have to say about it. But the way they was kind of like we losing to the Rockies. Losing to the Rockies. We're down, and all of a sudden they start to climb their way back into it, and and and then comes the ninth any where you know they're down to run and you say, you figure out, okay, we got the top of the lineup. This is what this is what we all envision this Dodger team to be Uh. When when things are tight and you got to face the top of the lineup and you opposing team, you gotta like, oh man, I gotta go through Otani, Mookie Freddie, you know, Will Smith, Maximunsey.
Speaker 2: That's just a it's just.
Speaker 3: A lineup that you don't want to face, especially late in the game, if the game is tight. And sure enough it came in. It came that way, right, It came where Otani got an opportunity to tie the game up. And I said it too. I said it to to to my son and said it to Holliday, was like, he gets ahead in the count, man, they're gonna have to groove one to him because they don't want to put him on because he's gonna steal a base and.
Speaker 2: Get the same base.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So I was like, they're gonna if he gets ahead in the count, he's gonna get a pitch to hit. Sure enough, he got to pitch to hit and drove it out man, and tied it up. It's like, man, here we go. And then Moki.
Speaker 4: Ronnie, can you hear me? Yes, we want to jump in here. I want to Yeah, we've got our issues corrected. Go ahead, talk about Mookie then, I've so.
Speaker 3: I was saying that, you know, Moki and and and fred and I've talked about this a lot. It's like, O Tani's getting so much, you know, attention because it's fifty to fifty club obviously you pass that now, and it's getting so much attention that you sometimes wondered, like Moki and Freddie Freeman sitting over there, like, you know, I'm a pretty bad dude too, now, you know. I know y'all want to, you know, praise Otani all this, but I got some I got some history.
Speaker 2: I was an MVP too now.
Speaker 3: So I just felt that because you remember a couple of weeks back where they walked Otani to get to Muki, and Muki hit a home run to send him up to make them pay. And this was the perfect moment for Muki. Ohtani set the table by it up and Mooki comes up and I could just feel it. I don't know, probably the whole stadium could feel it like Mookie gonna do something special, and I mean he did it more than special. I felt he was gonna definitely get a hit and get on but man to end the game on a walk off home run.
Speaker 2: Like he did back to back. That is the Dodger team.
Speaker 3: I think everybody was like, this is the Dodger team we expect to see when we started talking about this team at the beginning of the year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I better not be the Dodger team we expect to see in the playoffs. I'll tell you that, Yeah, this is the Dodger team we expect to see right now. Better not be that team in the playoffs. I'm talking about the wins, friend. I'm not talking about Oh it's the Rockies.
Speaker 3: They got behind, they struggled to get you know, they shouldn't have been behind in that ninth inning against the rock I'm talking about the way they won it against the Braves. It could be against the Phillies. It could begin inst anybody. But that team comes up and you got the top of the lineup going, I gotta get three outs against Otani, Mookie and Freddie. How do I do that and the game's tied or you're only up by one. That's a tough deal or frightening deal for a posing pitcher.
Speaker 4: Very exciting. They won the game ninth inning, came from behind. All that good I'm with you. Checks the boxes, exciting if you're a Dodger fan. Great home run for Mookie. Not taking anything away from it.
Speaker 2: None.
Speaker 4: But here's the problem. Yamamota goes out there and uh, not so good. Walker Bueller goes out on Saturday and not so good. And it really now gets me back to what I've been saying, because we're now what week and a half away from when the season really begins, the playoffs. They gonna have pitching. You cannot be in a hole like that. Yes, the Dodgers hit when they needed to hit, and it was great. I'm not denying that. I'm not taking it away. Please don't think I am. But what I'm saying is you're down that fast. Two games in a row, you're down that fast. Well, you're gonna see the Padres starting tomorrow. And they do have hope. They're not no hope anymore. They have hop Yeah, a lot of hope. All right, So you're going to see them starting tomorrow, you know, hopefully you do. You take care of your business, you win your division, great either way you're in the playoffs. But when you get to the playoffs, you know, if you're down for nothing in the first inning. I would say it's a very different game than if you're down four nothing against Colorado in the first inning. And it still speaks to the overriding concern who's pitching. I gotta say I I don't think I'm glad the Dodgers won Sunday, and I'm not a class half full guy. I don't think it could have been a worse weekend for the time. You're an empty guy right now, I'm not empty.
Speaker 3: I don't think it could have been and went all the way from green and its yellow?
Speaker 1: Now is it all right?
Speaker 4: It's not read yet, not blood right. But what I'm saying is I don't think it could have gone any worse. Quite frankly, Uh have a great outing. You needed Yama Moto to have a great outing, didn't Could they have a great outing in their next outing?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Would it have made everybody feel a little better if they had had great outings in their last outings, one thousand percent, because that's now where we're at. That's it, and it's coming now to fruition. Who's pitching and how good is it if they have a starter that can keep them in the game. I believe they can win the game. I believe offensively they will win the game, even in the playoffs and with the hitting issue, Rodney, I do believe that unlike last year. But if you go out there and you're down four or five runs, two winnings in, I also think you're in a heap of trouble. And I think that's the concern here, Rodney's you are. You are in a big trouble, especially in the playoffs. Gets a good teams, and you don't want to be down. We saw this member Game seven. We talk about it a lot when they playoffs rolled around where you Darvis got down and it felt like the game was over in the second inning because the Dodgers were down four right away.
Speaker 3: And so you can't do that. No, you can't do that in the postseason. But I will say that if there ever was a Dodger team, if you go back and look at all of them, that has the ability and the firepower to come back from a deficit like that, given there's a lot of game left. If you're down that early, is this team And when you start to get that feeling of I don't care how many runs were down, we're gonna We're gonna our bats are gonna get us back in it. That's a good feeling to have. But don't get me wrong. You know, pitching's got to hold up their end of the bargain. And and right now, like you said, you know guys that you counted on. I mean, I think the Tiler Glass now injury just to a whole monkey wrench in the whole thing. Yeah, because he for most of the season was the consistent guy, really known as the ace of that staff, and now you don't have him, y'ama modo coming back after injury, He's kind of been inconsistent. He had he had an okay performance before this last one, but still not to where you would like him to be going into the playoff. So you know, it could be by committee. And I think this is going to be one of those things where you, Dave Roberts and that staff is going to have to really manage the pitching because you can't let these games get out of hand.
Speaker 4: Eric, from where you sit, you're on a team, you've had a good season, You've dealt with injuries. You know, if everybody's healthy, you've got a real shot here. But you also know now you're starting quarterbackers in trouble, may be able to go, may not be able to go, and if he can go, may not be as effective as you would hope. So if that's the case, this is football. You're on that team, you start the playoffs, what are you.
Speaker 1: Thinking, Well, you're thinking hopefully that if he can't go, what does our backup look like? You know, I have the backup situation? And can he play and can he be effective? And I think that's the things the Dodgers is like, Yeah, you know that the hitting is good right now, but you know, think about it even last year when when they bats went cold, you know, in the playoffs and they had won over one hundred games. You know, you talk about the pitch and I see what you're talking about, Fred when you said, uh, you know, you know it was a win. But we never should have gotten that kind of situation. I mean, because the Rockets are not a very good baseball team at all, and the Dodgers are one of the elite teams. And yeah, that was like that was almost like a Hollywood ending there, you know, or time of hit and hitting, you know, hit, get hitting and hit the home run and then lookie come and finishing off and winning and winning the game, you know, but that's not gonna happen all the time. You know, when you get through these teams that have really good pitching, and you know what are they three they three day? They three games up on the pot bes right now. So I mean, you can't make those kind of mistakes against a good baseball the same, the same in football. You know, you can't make errors against a good football team. You can't turn the ball over, you can't throw in exceptions, you know you can't. You can't drop the fly balls, you can't. You know, you get the top of the ending, well, you got your strong hitters coming up, you can't strike you can get them all struck out. So I mean, like I said, I'm I'm with I'm, I'm kind of on the fence because you know, I you know, like you guys know baseball a lot better than I know baseball. But I'm with Fred and I think you two riding. And when it comes to pitching, pitching is is very, very very important in baseball. I thought, I thought, I really thought that that hitting was was the thing when I saw, you know, the Dodgers were hitting the ball like like last year, really killing it. And they got in the playoffs and everything went cold and so but but if you're pitching is good, you know, you're still good. But if you can't hit the ball you don't have and your pitching is bad, are you in trouble? And and I, you know, and I hate to say it, I hope not, but I kind of foresee that with the Dodgers because you know, the bats are hot right now and it's and it's coming down to the riding in the playoffs. Man, you know, who's the hottest team, who's hot, who's really hot? You know? But and in baseball you need to have hot bats and hot pitching at the same time. And that's that's that's the difference. Yeah, And that's the thing.
Speaker 3: You you know, you may be able to like the game like yesterday, you might be able to get to get around, you know, winning one of those games in the series, but you can't. You can't have a steady tiet of winning games like that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: He's like, We're gonna walk it over again.
Speaker 3: Count on O'donnie to come up, and then Mookie gonna come behind him, and then Freddy's gonna do it.
Speaker 2: No, you can't count on that.
Speaker 1: You're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: I mean, the teams that have won it in the last few years have been teams that had both right that, both their offense and it and hitting and then uh and then on top of that, you've got you've got the pitching, the complement. The Arizona last year, their pitchers, their pitchers got hot last year. Nobody could hit them down the stretch They're two aces, couldn't nobody hit them. And and then their bats were hot too. They were hitting everything and and and stealing bases and doing all those things. So as a team, they were the hottest team. And that's the scary part of that about the Dodgers right now is that you you know, we know how good they are, but they could they could lose games when they score eight to nine runs because the.
Speaker 1: Pitching you get good, that's it. You can't you can't be winning a game of fifteen or twelve. You can't win no game like I mean, look at last year they took last year, that's exactly I mean the basketball how they were playing great. You know, they want like I said, what do you want one hundred and five games something like that? Hunting some games and then got to the playoffs. Boom, it was over right quick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, it's it's gonna be very very interesting. So tell me what's your gut before because we're gonna finish this up and then we'll get into the into the NFL Spotlight Monday, brought to you by Ford. But your gut going into the playoffs with the Dodgers, how do you feel? I mean, I know, we just heard Fred and where he is, but you're leaning towards that way too, But how do you feel about them going Because a lot of people saying, you know, this is make or break for a lot of folks, especially Dave Roberts. They don't win at all than Dave Roberts's gone, despite the fact that they've had, you know, multitude more injuries than any other team in the league. If they don't win the World Series, it's gonna be nobody's gonna care that they you know, you know, and and and that's the problem that that's that's okay, that's the problem right there, right And people need to care because if you you don't have your your starting pitchers or your starting quarterback or starting starting offensive line, it's hard to win.
Speaker 1: I don't care. You know how good you are, how well you played so far. But right now we're in the playoffs. My gut tells me that. And I hope I'm wrong, because you know, I'm a Dodger fan. I think we're gonna be in the same situation we weren't last year. I think we're gonna win the division, get to the playoffs, and probably lose.
Speaker 2: I hope not.
Speaker 1: I mean, I say, and I say, I hope we don't, because I think the pitching is a big factor. I mean, like I said, you can't you can't rely on having ten runs a game. You can't rely on you know, walk off home runs. That's just not gonna happen. I mean, and then you have a pitching staff that is basically decimated. I mean, and I said it, I said it to some guys. Yet yes day before yesterday, how is it that all our pictures are hurt? I mean, it's something going on now. I mean, I mean, you got to look at somebody. You can't. It's like it's like, Okay, why is the Like I said this before, why is the Why is the what we got guys going the acls out, you know, or the MCLs or the hamstrings. Something is going on with the with the coaching staff or the pitching coach. Something is happening there that's just not working out right. And I just think that I don't think it's gonna turn out good from im. I'll say it again, I'm a Dodger fan, but again I'm realistic. I mean, and I hope, I hope we can get through it. I hope we can, you know, some kind of get it together and say, hey, let's win it all. And I feel bad for Dave Robberts because Dave Robberts to me, is a great manager. But if you don't have your aces, it's hard to win. It is. Yeah, he can't go out and pitch for him.
Speaker 3: But then again, you know, people don't don't really care about that, which you, like you said, tom they should care because if you're if you're really gonna be a fan, or you're gonna analyze the team, you got to analyze the whole team, the whole team, right.
Speaker 2: And you can't. I don't care who you bring in there.
Speaker 3: You bring Tommy back, you know, Tommy comes right right, you know Tommy, you don't have any pitching you know, and they You know Tommy, you know though he used to pitch back in the day, you know, Tommy can't go out here and pitch for him. So it's gonna be a tough dynamic. Just your take on now that we're winding up the season with the Dodgers. Uh, and just be you know, before we go to preak, you're you're your assessment of o Tany and what he's been able to do this year.
Speaker 1: Oh man, you know you know, uh right now, I was thinking about that a minute ago. I said, what he's done is actually phenomenal. It's almost like a I'm gonna use myself as a running back. I ran for two thousand yards and I and I had I caught another had another twelve to fifteen hundred yards receiving. That's what kind of that's that's the kind of season here, And that sounds crazy. You think about that. You ran for two thousand yards and you had another fifteen yards one hundred yards received even a thousand yards for see, but you ran for so you had three thousand yards. That is the kind of season that he's like, like David robertson that Dave, Dave Roberts said, it's almost like he's not human. And and when you think about baseball, because man, you know people say, oh man, I could hit that ball. Oh if I hurt my shoulder, I could have been a pro baseball player. Yeah right, I mean it's hard to hit a baseball. It's hard to hit a ninety five, one hundred miles hours baseball and come up and do some of the things he's like, fifty home runs, fifty stolen bases, well fifty five now fifty five home runs.
Speaker 3: Fifty three home runs, fifty five stolen stolen bases.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's phenomenal. So that's how I uh, look at look at his his season he's had so far as it's running back has had basically two thousand yards rushing and another thirteen to fifteen hundred yards receiving, and you and you know he'd be MVP.
Speaker 2: The running back would be for sure. Yeah, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 3: How do you think that Mookie and Freddie are handling or what do you think of what's going on in their heads? I mean sometimes at some point, and it'd be different if he was you know, he was arrogant and he was cocky and he was doing it like that there might be some tension.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Like I was saying, these two guys were m vps themselves and they're they're watching, you know, somebody come along on their team that's doing this. You think it could go either way, right, It could motivate you even harder, or it could be like, this is my teammate. We gonna We're gonna roll with this cat all the way to the World Series.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you something, Rodney. One thing I link at the Dodger organization, and I see the organization is a very stable organization. The Dodgs have been a great baseball team for a long time. I think about when I was in Indianapolis and I told you before how selfish some of the players on the team were, like it was jealous if your name was in the paper, stuff like that. I linked the Dodgers. They don't. I don't think they have those kind of problems because I think they have players on that football, that baseball team that are confident in themselves, like a Mookie that's Freddie Freeman. You know, we're not worrying about we We're glad to have him. We were happy to have him here. You know, he can help out baseball team. And that's what it's all about. Because when you have when you have a history of baseball like the Dodgers have, you don't have those kind of guys. You might have one or two guys like that, but I don't think the stars like Mookie and Otany and Freddie Freeman and those guys. You know, you don't you don't don't. I don't think you have. I don't think they're like, hey, look, I'm happy for him. And let's just when let's try to win the World Series.
Speaker 4: All right, Eric Well said, I don't even know what I can say after that.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go to break. Let's go.
Speaker 4: This is the way to win Freddie Freeman's autographed jersey. Sign up for your chance to win at cleanla dot com. Just take a survey sharing what you've learned about recycling beverage containers. That's cleanla dot com for the chance to win a Freddie free Then autograph jersey. All right, let's get in some NFL when we get back.
Speaker 1: Huh how yeah, that's right. It's a Monday.
Speaker 3: That means it's a Ford NFL Spotlight with the Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson.
Speaker 1: Right to beat and Fred.
Speaker 4: Rogan, all right, so you're watching the Rams game yesterday and I thought, when it was all said and done, how did they win that game?
Speaker 1: How did they win?
Speaker 4: Because if you watched from the beginning to the end, you're thinking they get beat. I thought that was a great win for him yesterday Eric, especially watching it trying to figure out how they won.
Speaker 1: Fred, I mean, I agree with you one I went to that game. I'm like, first of all, i gotta say going there, me being a former Ram player, love my team. But I'm like, man, we ain't gonna be the forty nine ers. I mean, say they got injuries. I say, we ain't gonna beat them. And it was fourteen nothing, I'm like, hey, I'm gonna get out of here in a minute because I know this is over with. Seriously. I mean that is just how I felt. Finally, when they scored and I'm like, we got a shot, and then San Francisco scored again, I'm like, I'm not sure, but I'm gonna tell you what I kept saying, They're letting the Rams hang around. They would fool around and let the Rams beat them. And the thing I got to give McVeigh credit for and his team even last a week ago when they played Arizona when they were getting beat up on one thing I noticed about this football team. They play hard and they keep playing hard. And a lot of teams don't play hard when they're losing. And I'm like, okay, man, when this game is over with, you know we'll beat and like two weeks ago, I mean last week when they played Arizona, they were beat and they but they still played hard. That is one thing I give McVay and his staff and the players credit for for playing hard. We had a lot of players out. They had a lot of players out also, but the Rams came through big time. I mean, that was a great job of coaching Stafford came through some big time throws when he had to the past interference at the end of the game. You know that set up the field goal. But honestly, I did not think we were going to win that football game. But I'm my glad because you know, I think the sad thing I think the most the saddest thing is is looking in that stadium and seeing all those red jerseys all looked game. It looked like a forty nine a home. It looked like a forty nine home game. I mean, it really did that. That's that's the saddest thing about It's like they're they're at home plan and but the best part of it all was they had to walk their ass out of there knowing they had lost. You know that was I think that that made the best part cool. Y'all, y'all, y'all, y'all, y'all came all your funny up, but you lost because I know they expected to what they expected me. And I want to say I want I want to say this too. Uh. I want to thank all the people that wear my jersey because Fred back in my day, you know when I played, you couldn't fans couldn't didn't. They didn't have jersey. Only players had jerseys. You know, you didn't fancy get no jerseys. And because I didn't, Man, I'm like, dude, I see twenty nine jerseys. I mean, I mean, I'm thinking about I've been retired from football for thirty years, forty years, and fans, I just want to say thank you for wearing twenty nine. It makes me happy. I love signing the jerseys for the fans. I love taking pictures with them. I stopped. I saw this this this girl last year. She's walking in my jersey and I said, I said, I like that jersey. And she had another girl with and she said, oh, thank you, like like okay, and the girl said, I think that's him. I think that's a jersey. This is your jersey. I said, yeah, Oh, can you sun take a picture with me? I'm like, yeah, so I gotta say, I said, I said, I think thank all the fans, but for wearing twenty nine. Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's impressive, Edie. You know, like you said, you've been tired a long time. But I think when people think RAMS, I would be hard pressed to say that you. You wouldn't be the first name to pick that pops up in people's mind when they talk about the history of the Rams and and the Rams and what they've done. And that's leader is a close second, close second. But I don't know what number was Brock for. What number was he listen to you? What was he? Six? No? No, no, I was right there. You got the single digit, right.
Speaker 3: But other than current guys, you, yeah, you you are the number one dirty that you see, you know, And so that's a that's a great testament to you and and and appreciate you. And I'm sure the fans do appreciate you giving them love because I've seen you, I've been out with you, and you do give the fans love. And some of the guys, you know, don't necessarily always do that.
Speaker 1: But the hats off to you, man.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that that stadium with the with all the red. What was crazy to me was at the end of the game, they're going into, you know, to tie it up and going into the end zone and the Rams had to use a silent count in the home stadium because the fans were so loud.
Speaker 1: You know, that's that's that's that's crazy. That's crazy practice for the road, like right right.
Speaker 3: In the hospital stadium and it's gonna be loud that you use a silent count, use hand signals and foot signals and all that. And the Rams had to do it in their home stadium going in to score and tie the game up. That was just it was crazy to me. But that just I mean, they've got a loyal fan base. They really do, as big as anybody. I mean, you think about and it's kind of maybe it's sort of weird for a West Coast team to have that because you normally associate that with the you know, teams in the South or or when it comes to college, but also you you associate that with the Steelers or Green Bay, you know, teams like that. And the forty nine ers got that same kind of following cowboys.
Speaker 1: You know coos cowboys.
Speaker 3: They got that same kind of follow no matter where they go, especially if they're playing the Rams. They that is that like Eric says, it has said all the all along that he hates the forty nine ers, And I'm sure the forty nine ers hate the Rams. It's just that rivalry that goes back and forth. But they show up when whenever they play the Rams. But I thought that was crazy that he had to use his silent count at home. Do you think that they knew that would happen and they worked on it this week?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: You think they were aware of the fact that there'd be that many people from San Francisco there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, without a doubt, without a doubt, knowing, knowing staff, knowing Sean McVay, who is you know, his attention to detail is the second to none. You know that they worked on that like and and had conversations with the team. You know, they're gonna be a lot of forty nine er fans there. They're gonna they're gonna fill up the stadium, And he probably used it to motivation. That's why we gotta win. That's why we got to keep winning. That's why we got to build our own and and make sure that our fan base is proud of proud of us, that they show up for us. And so I'm sure he used that in his speech. As long as week. You know they gonna come in here to our stadium and try to take it over. We got to make that an unfavorable or uncomfortable place for the forty nine ers to come.
Speaker 2: And what do you think of.
Speaker 1: The winning touchdown to flip into the end zone?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I thought it was great. I thought it was great. I thought it was great. I mean, I really did, you know. I hate when DD's hit you in the knees and legs anyway, kisses me off. But I thought it was cool. I'm like, oh, Okay, that's cool. But I went there. When I saw it, I'm like, who what I'm thinking about myself right now? If I would land like that on my back, I'm like oh lord, bringing the ambulance out. I can't get up.
Speaker 3: It was funny about you just saying that because I look at it now, and you know, in that situation, it was kind of like it was bang bang. He saw it coming, he was gonna get in the end zone and the guy went low, so he jumped up and he flipped.
Speaker 2: Kind of almost had to do it.
Speaker 3: But when I see guys do it when they're wide open running into the end zone and they flip on their own, I'm like.
Speaker 1: Why why? I don't understand. I'm like, I'm like you, why, what's the purpose?
Speaker 2: I'm waking up.
Speaker 3: I'm like hurting my I'm grabbing my back, my ankles, my achilles. Every time I see somebody do a flip when they don't have to going into the end zone, like, what are you doing?
Speaker 4: He almost stuck her too. That would have been great. I thought, oh no, he's going to get it.
Speaker 2: That was a great throw. Great throw by Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 3: You know, we we we kind of said loosely, but you know, everybody talks about my homes and his arm talent, and you know Aaron Rodgers his arm talent. Stafford is right there with with all of them. I mean that throw was on the money in a place where he had to let it go before he actually came open and throw him open a little bit and get him in stride for him to go score. But it was a it was a great throw in a tight window that he made. And uh, you know, he without you know, think about that, without pooking a core, without Cooper Cup, without the weapons that he had. He went to work on that defense, which a lot of people believe it was one of the best defenses in the league. He went to work on that defense and brought that team back and kept them in it and brought him back to win.
Speaker 2: It can't say enough about Matthew Stafford this game.
Speaker 4: Well, in the first half, and correct me if I'm wrong, they just ran the ball. They really didn't throw much at all in the first half. The Rams then of the second.
Speaker 1: Half and they found themselves behind, they came out and opened it up. Eric, Well, you know, afraid, I'm gonna tell you. People think that that running the ball doesn't does nothing. I mean, if you're not a football person, see as a football player, I know what running the right ball does to a defense. It tires them out. They get tired because now I've got to chase this guy. I've got to fight off these offensive linemen. I've got to go try to make a tackle. Now, gotta go run back, get in my stands. I got to do that same thing again. Okay, now they're throwing the pass or two. Now I've got to try to rush the passer. I gotta try to fight out blocks. It wears on them. And I'm telling you, I never thought that I would see McVeigh run the football like he does now. And you know, for for me, Shanahan is that is his mo. Just like Dad, run the football running when it's not popular. You know, you may run it maybe third and fifteen, still run the football, second and ten. Run the football because it does something to a defense. And I think after a while that and look, Kyra Roon didn't have a like he didn't have one hundred and fifty yards. I think he only had like eighty nine yards. I think he had three touchdowns. You know those eighty nine yards those running the running the football helps the passing game so much and vice versa. You know, when you can throw the football and have a quarterback like Mike, like Matt Stafford. It has to run the game also. And I just thought yesterday that the game plan was was perfect for this for that game. The team, I keep saying again, the team played hard, man. I mean they really played hard when they were down, because right, do you know how it is, man, when you get down fourteen nothing like start the game? Yeah, like, man, this game over with this, you know, this game is pretty much over with. But the used to they kept playing. I mean they played hard, no matter what. Hard. I'm like, I say one thing, I get him, even they were losing. I said, give them credit. They're playing hard no matter what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you can look at it and go, we're down fourteen. They barely blinked and we down fourteen to nothing, nothing, and we ain't got our guys.
Speaker 2: We hurt. Let's just chalk this one up.
Speaker 1: Man. It's just exactly what I said, keep it respectable, exactly, Just keep it respectable, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: But going back to what you said about the running game. You know, and that's a misconception about quarterbacks too, because you talk to all of them. You know, you talked to Mahomes, you talk to Aaron Rodger, Matthew staff all those guys. They we all wanted a good running game because what that meant is that first of all, was going to take pressure off of us. And yeah, it's cool to throw it fifty times a game, but you want a running game because when you play action, then those guys become even more open than they would be if if the team knows you can't run the football. So running the football is the quarterback's best friend, the best friend. I don't care if you're a rookie or you're a fifteen year of vet. It is your best friend. And you always want a good running game. Yeah you want to throw three hundred and fifty yards and five touchdowns, but man, if you could go out and say I could be balanced and run the football and I have my guys more open. You saw what it did for You know what it's done for Brock Perty you mentioned it, shan Ann run first. They're gonna run that football first, or a defense has to defend the run. When they play San Francisco, they got to defend the run first. And that's why you see Party having the success that he's had with Jennings yesterday is that they ran the ball. But their play action game is as good as anybody's in the league. And you got guys running wide open a lot of times because the running game is so good.
Speaker 1: Party's a good quarterback, Yeah, a great good quarterback. He's a I get example about running football. Just going back in history, you go back to in my era, two great quarterbacks, two Hall of Fame quarterbacks, John Elway, Dan Marino. John Elway did not win a Super Bowl til you got who dates to Real Davis. My friend Madame Marino never won a Super Bowl. He had all the yardage, great receivers, good defense, not great defense. No running game, That's what he always said. He said, if they had a running game, he had no running game. You know that that goes to show you how man running game is just important. And it kills me that that. You know, when when they when they started running the football, and these these comments, oh wow, you know they run the football now, you know, and and and before they said all you don't need it, you don't need a running game. You know, he needed a quarterback. And you can you can platune running backs through. But when the running game clicks, you know, that's when it's working. I mean when I saw the I didn't even see the game. I just saw Saquon bark I think had a one hundred and thirty six yards I said, I bet they won the game. Sure enough, they won the game.
Speaker 2: They did.
Speaker 1: He went up Derrick Henry in Baltimore. I mean, oh yeah, same thing, same thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep, yep, Eric, you were talking about jerseys earlier and this I was gonna mention this, and it just hit me when you said it. So, the Kings have their new jerseys released, the Hockey King, the La Kings, and you know, fans want to buy those authentic jerseys with the new logo for this year, which is kind of the old logo but updated a little bit. You want to know what those jerseys cost? Authentic jersey three hundred and fifty four hundred and twenty five dollars, The King's jersey four hundred and twenty authentic authentic ones four hundred and twenty five dollars. You want to put somebody's name on the back, figure another one hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, hold it, that ain't no name on the fact. No, that's just a jersey. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, you know we can put any name we want, but you got to figure it'll be like another one hundred bucks five twenty five for an authentic jersey.
Speaker 1: A replica will work just fine. Who's going to spend.
Speaker 4: Five hundred dollars on a hockey jersey seriously to wear.
Speaker 1: To the games? Well, I can tell one person, won't it be you free because you'd wear you're talking about it. You ain't gonna show angle to send five hundred dollars. There's no way, There's no way.
Speaker 4: I mean, I understand jerseys are expensive, and you know if you go to buy an Otani or a jersey like that, I get five hundred dollars for a jersey.
Speaker 1: Listen, you can tell be making his own. Fred go into basement to make his own jersey. Really, we can't make Fred. Eve don't dollars five five that'd be like five thousand dollars. Oh my god, you out of your mind?
Speaker 3: Well what you know, you wouldn't It wouldn't be the extra fact because we know you're not gonna put a name back on the.
Speaker 1: Jersey, So I would save that one hundred. Yeah, say that one hundred, I say that one hundred. That's right, man, with a certain age. You're not putting a name on the back of that Jurney can't be forty forty enough. Don't put another man's name on your back?
Speaker 2: Is it just me?
Speaker 1: Does that seem nuts? That seems crazy? But but you know they set that price point because I guess they figure they can get it. They can't they get it. That's the point, that's the most point. If you get it, then then no problem. Somebody got five hundred dolls they want to pay for a jersey, Well that's somebody. It's not for it, but it's not Fred Rogan.
Speaker 4: No forfnel spotlight is driven by your southern California Ford dealers. If there's one thing we like, its choices, fine, yours with Ford F one fifty gas hybrid are all electric. What you choose to do with that much power is up to you. You toughnes Mark can only be called one touchdown the rams. This is going to be a very long year for the chargers if something doesn't change really really fast, and we'll get into it.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: Listen, we don't discriminate here on Rogan and Rodney with your afternoon Delight. And even though we lean into hip hop a little bit, here we give you everything, including the latest from country star Keith Urban with his song Chuck Taylor's Hear from his new album High, just released on Friday's the country singer's eleventh studio album. Who's now fifty six years of age, which means he's entering the prime when it comes to country music.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: Today's afternoon Delight is Chuck Taylor's by Keith irvian.
Speaker 1: Head.
Speaker 4: I'll forget it's the last week and when Freddy Freeman's autographed jersey. Sign up your chance to win at cleanla dot com. Just take a survey sharing what you've learned about recycling beverage containers clean la dot com for the chance to win a Freddie Freeman autograph jersey. All right, so you knew going in that it would be a problem if it happened, and boy, it's a problem if it happened. Justin Herbert couldn't finish Sunday and that finished the Chargers. Give him credit. He went out there. He's got a high ankle spring gave it what he could. The decision was, I'm gonna go and gut it out until I feel like I can't help the team and protect myself. That moment came, he was done, and so were they Eric, Do they have any chance to win without them?
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, when I watched the Charger, the Charges defense is pretty good. You know, they're very aggressive. Who's the backup you know, you know who's the backup of? Do you know the backup there? Tyler Heineke? Yeah, heinekee, oh, Heineke Heinke. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well played for the Redskins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's yeah, that's gonna be a tough one. But the defense looked really good. The thing is is that going back to the running game, they couldn't run the football against Pittsburgh, and that's a good that's a good defense against the run. Pittsburgh has always been a very physical football team. Uh, the Chargers are very are very physical football team on defense. I do like it when they play on defense. But you know, with out there star quarterback and without a running game, I know that I think Dobbins he ran for I think one hundred yards in both the first two the first two games, and Pittsburgh shut him down. But you know, without without Herbert, I just think it's gonna be tough. I mean, I don't know how long it's gonna be out. It's gonna be two weeks gonna be four weeks the Chargers, you know, I give it again. They are a good football team. I think they have a very good coach now. But being gona win that division, you know that that's for sure, you know, I you know, I think they can win. I think I think they can win. I think I think they'll win. I think they win nine games, maybe even ten. But they're not going to that division. But you know, and it depends on you know, Ridney. Yeah, we know there's injuries, you know, and and that like at the Rams who are kind of decimated injuries right now. You're still able to win to have injuries. But when your quarterback goes down and he's a he's a focal point of that offense and that football team, that is a big difference. And with with heini keep playing quarterback. I don't know. I like I say, I think I think they win some games. I think that maybe win like I said, maybe nine games, maybe ten. But I don't I don't think they're not going to the division for sure, because you know, I can't see it with that division. Eric Dickerson, that is the nicest thing you think I've ever said about the A nice little team, that nice little.
Speaker 2: I got.
Speaker 1: I gotta give myself some credit. Yeah, yeah, I'm listening to you know what. That is nice because I watched I watched the game. I watched, I watched him play. I mean, you know one thing, I like it, and I'm on offense, I do like a D fense that will hit you and the Chargers will come up. They were hitting, but the Steelers were hitting too. That's the thing they they played played. They played physical football. But you know, without without their quarterback, man, Yeah, and theyre that game.
Speaker 3: Look, you know, without they once Herbert went down, they had absolutely no offense, no threat of offense or anything like that. And the Steelers, Steelers knew it too, and Steelers just you know, we you know, kind of teed off a little bit. But also the Teelers, the Steelers knew that they weren't gonna score. And I got to give credit to to to Justin Fields and that offense and something because they they knew it and they were not going to allow you know, Justin Fields to go crazier, make any mistakes that were going to give the Chargers any kind of life.
Speaker 2: And they played it conservative. Once Ence Herbert went out they played it conservatively and methodically scored some points enough to win because they knew that the Chargers were going to have a tough time moving the ball and score it. But absolutely no way, and Fred, do they do anything without Justin Herbert at quarterback.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they ran into as Eric pointed out, the Chargers are gonna try to be a running team, and they ran into the best running defense in the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a problem. That is a problem when.
Speaker 3: You look at it, because if you run into that team, Yeah, you want to run the football, you run into the best running team, but you're still gonna You're still gonna commit to the run because that's your identity, that's what you want to be. But you also then have that quarterback that can go off of play action, that can make some plays for you. But when you take him out of the mix and you go into the game saying we're gonna run the football, well, all of a sudden, now he's out of the game. The Steelers go, Okay, he's out, So now I'm gonna play an eight man front.
Speaker 2: I'm a I'm gonna make it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna make Heinekey beat me, and and he wasn't able to do it. And and if you see the thing is, and Eric knows this, that the high ankle spring that's a tricky injury. That's a trick that's a that's a tricky injury. That can you wait, Rodney, Rodney, can you guys explain it? Because people that hear high ankle spraining, they said, oh, that's the top of your ankle. But that's not necessarily the case. No, it's it's almost it's like your shin, you know, it's it's it's up that high where it's it's hard to rehabit. It's hard to do anything other than rest it because the least little hit on it or bend on it or anything to it is going to aggravate it. And it takes forever to really heal properly. And if they don't, and which I was a little surprised that they played him, you know when I heard it was it was going to be a game time decision. You know, a game time decision is different on a lot of lot of fronts. Right, if you got even a low anchor, or you got a turf toe, Eric, which you've had before, and you go out and warm ups and you're like, man, this feels pretty good.
Speaker 2: I think I can go.
Speaker 3: You can go, but with a high ankle sprain, I think you've got to air on the side of caution with that, because all it takes is you don't even have to get hit hard. You just fall wrong on a high angle's brain and it's setting you back again, and all of a sudden, you back to square one. And this will keep happening if they keep trotting him out there weekend and week out, it will keep happening without allowing it, you know, a couple of weeks to heal. And that's why I was a little shocked that they were saying it was a game time decision and they ended up playing him. You know, right before the game they activated to make sure he was gonna play. Because if it's that serious that they didn't know up until game time, then you didn't sit him, sit him for that game, let it heal another week, and then you put him, put him back out there.
Speaker 2: But now reaggravate it.
Speaker 3: Now it's now it's now there's going to be another week of you know, will he play. He's not gonna be able to practice all week, and then we'll get to Saturday.
Speaker 2: Is he gonna be able to play?
Speaker 3: And this could be a reoccurring theme all season long if you don't allow that thing to heal.
Speaker 1: I think I think you said it right right now. I think it will be a reoccurring thing all season long, because an ankle, it's something at really needs time. I mean sometimes eight to ten weeks, twelve weeks. Sometimes it may take a year. I have to say, it may take a year. You better bite your tongue. You better bolt up and bite your tongue.
Speaker 3: But he seems right because you may take it feels good like you can run on it in practice and do all things, and when it's a controlled environment, but all of a sudden a linement falls on it. Well, you know, you got to make a cut that you didn't think you had to make in practice, and all of a sudden it said back.
Speaker 1: Because I'm gonna tell you, Fred, you know, in practice and walk throughs and you know, and even a little light scrimmage is different in a real football action. Because, brother, let me tell you something. They hitting out that they are hitting out there, they don't care nothing about your ankle. We're trying to get to your ankle. If we can if we can twist it under pod, we'll do that. You know at the point and when you hurt because I tried to play with a hamstring injury. Man, they would tear my heads up. I'm thinking I can run, but I can't do what I want do. I can only live your mind telling you I can get you. I know I can do it. I know I can do it. You say no, you can't. You get hurt. So no, they're in a dilemma.
Speaker 4: Uh hey, here's your chance to win to Max Monthly autograph Jersey. Sign up for your chance to win at cleanla dot com. Take the survey sharing what you've learned and how to get rid of unwanted bulky household items for your chance to win at Visit cleanla dot com for your chance to wint a Max monsely autograph Jersey. Well, you know, very much like the Rams, when you watch them, you tried to figure out how in the world they won. So when you watched USC this weekend, you tried to figure out how in the world