Speaker 1: Americans are struggling to repay their federal student loans. The number in default has searched by millions in just the last year, to take the total to more than nine and a half million.
Speaker 2: We have got to give some relief off of our bags for these student loans.
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I can't afford my students can't afford then, But the Department of Education thought, sending me an email saying the save plan was ending, was going to suddenly make me have fourteen hundred dollars a month to give them for a student loan payment.
Speaker 3: I am drowning in student debt. I have over forty five thousand dollars in student debt.
Speaker 1: Amy Salada is a senior advisor at protect boris, a student debt advocacy group.
Speaker 3: The number of defaults that was happening, it was like one person every twenty six seconds, and now it's one person every nine seconds.
Speaker 1: So how did we get here? You've probably already heard that going to college in the US is expensive, and for many students that means borrowing from the government to cover tuition and living costs. In fact, the average public university student borrows thirty two thousand dollars to obtain a bachelor's degree. After leaving college, they have to pay back those loans, which sometimes takes decades. Let's just rewind a little. During the COVID nineteen pandemic, the Trump administration passed federal student loan payments as an emergency relief measure. It was meant to last just a few months, but it turned into more than three years, during which most boroughs didn't have to make payments.
Speaker 3: We're still going through the ramifications of that.
Speaker 4: When student loan payments were completely paused.
Speaker 1: Judith Scott Clayton is an economist at Columbia University and an expert in student debt. When payments resumed, policymakers tried to make the transition easier.
Speaker 3: Under the Biden administration, there was something called the on Ram period, where for a year, if you didn't pay on your student loans, you didn't suffer some of the negative consequences of non payment.
Speaker 1: But those protections ended in September twenty twenty four. So imagine being a borough who's made no student loan payments in years and now suddenly has to find hundreds of dollars every month. And there's another complication, courts blocked a plan called Save that tight monthly payments to income. It was there to help struggling borrows stay on track with their loans. That court decision has led many looking for alternatives.
Speaker 3: It was the most affordable payment plan that has a very existent for student loan borrowers.
Speaker 1: And experts say the alternatives could make repayment more challenging for borrows across the income spectrum. The impact could be felt most acutely by those who can least afford it.
Speaker 4: They would have been able under previous plans to not make any payment. Under the new plan, they have to make at least a ten dollars payment every month. And so my concern is that some folks could go into default, you know, over one hundred and twenty dollars.
Speaker 1: And here's another twist. Many of the Americans falling behind on their student loans right now aren't even recent graduates. Data from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York shows that the people now defaulting on their student loans are on average two and a half years older than those defaulting before the pandemic.
Speaker 3: Folks you know over sixty five are one of the fastest growing demographics of student loan borrowers because in some cases they've taken out loans for themselves that they haven't been able to pay back fully, and then in many cases they've taken out loans on behalf of their children in their own names, and so you know they might be hit with two bills.
Speaker 1: Among geographically, borrows in Southern states such as Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina are disproportionately represented among new defaults.
Speaker 3: We know that black women hold the greatest amount of student debt because they have less generational wealth to kind of pay up front on their educations.
Speaker 4: Being aware of the huge racial disparities and student loan repayment outcomes is something that I would be concerned about.
Speaker 1: And there's another surprising detail. Most of the people now defaulting on their student loans were not behind on their repayments in twenty nineteen, So why are they struggling now?
Speaker 3: This is like happening in a context of a lot of other expenses going up for people. And so if you have to make the choice between you know, paying for medications in a month, they're paying for food for your family, or paying your rent or paying on your student loans. You know, I think most people are going to choose that other payment that they could make in order to kind of keep their family going.
Speaker 1: For millions of borrows, the choice might not be between paying and not paying, but between one bill and another. So what happens when they simply can't keep.
Speaker 3: Up, They, you know, start reporting that to credit bureaus, which then, you know, affects your credit score and affects your ability to do all sorts of other things.
Speaker 4: That means it's going to be harder to get a car loan, It's going to be harder to get a mortgage. It could even be harder depending on where you live and what the rules and regulations are. It could affect housing applications for renting an apartment, and it.
Speaker 1: Could get even worse.
Speaker 3: The federal government has extraordinary collection powers. They can take your tax refund, as you mentioned, they can garnish your wages quick explanation.
Speaker 1: Garnish means they can take money right from your paycheck, and the US government can garnish up to fifteen percent of a defaulted borrow's disposable pay fill minimum wage protections apply.
Speaker 3: That that collection power has been turned off. For five years since the pandemic. The Trump administration has delayed that, but you know, I think advocates are expecting that any day that could happen again.
Speaker 4: It's not clear when that will restart, but that's just sort of hanging over folks head as another element of uncertainty here.
Speaker 1: What would that look like in practice? Someone taking home two thousand dollars after tax could lose up to three hundred dollars a month from their paycheck. Well, borrows already struggling to make ends meet a significant financial hit, So when millions of Americans face the same problem at the same time, a lot of people have been wondering, is disa warning sign about the state of the wider economy.
Speaker 4: I would take it as something that's independently of concern and something to watch. But I think the large increase is mostly an artifact of this strange period that we're coming out of, and not necessarily an independent signal that something is going terribly wrong with the economy. But you know, it's kind of going into an economy where there's a lot of other uncertainties going on.
Speaker 1: For Amy Solada, the most urgent question right now is what happens next.
Speaker 3: The bare minimum would be no turning collections back on, which is one of the most devastating you know, things that could happen right now.
Speaker 1: So experts don't see this as a warning sign for the wider US economy, but for millions of borrows, the consequences are very real. Damage credit scores, the threat of collections, and hard choices between student loan repayments and other bills. Years after the pandemic pause, its effects are still rippling through the student loan system. For many borrows, the hardest part may be happening right now.