Speaker 1: He'll be go me bait, it's the Internet. You're busy. Let's do this for August twelve, twenty twenty four. I forgot what I say for the next hour or so, let me help you sort through the world of game. You know game. This morning's Live with me Jeff Grubb. Today Tango game Works rises from its gray Borderlands is a massive flop and do we know the gimmick for the switch to But first please join me and welcoming today's co host, the Game Best Mornings. It's Sean Turbo, Sean McDowell. How are you doing, Sean?
Speaker 2: I would rather be playing two XKO right now.
Speaker 1: I bet yes, there's I tried a little bit to get in there. TAM's like was like, hey, no, I can get you in there, and I just completely forgot. So but now everyone keeps talking about it making it sound very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh dude, Okay, So Solos you know it's great. It's a Marvel style game. It's very fun on its own, a lot to learn though, a lot of depth there, and I'm glad that they added a lot of depth early on. But Jeff, the real sauce is in the duo's mode.
Speaker 1: It sounds so much fun. It sounds so give me a general idea how this works. Is it like tag team fighting basically?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So at any the way to think of duos is you always have control over your character. So if you are the primary character, you choose to leave the screens because you know in teg fighters do you like switch out back and forth? So you can choose to leave the screen and like send in your buddy. But your buddy always chooses when they are on screen, so that might may be confusing at first, but you know how much a tag fighter you call on an assist. Your friend needs to determine when they want to be on screen, so they call on their own assist. Oh so then when they are on screen, you, the active player, can choose to leave the screen. Again, it takes a sight to get used to, but yeah, that then you can choose to tag out once they are on screen, like both people, that makes sense?
Speaker 1: Okay, no, no, once you explain like that. Okay, so that's probably fun to like get on the right wave link with your teammate.
Speaker 2: Then I bet there is a lot especially especially in an online game where me and my friend can be on a discord call and like be actively talking and figure out strategies on the fly. Where you know he was playing a offensive character. He's playing Yasuo, the samurai character. I was playing Brom, the dude with the giant shield. So you know in assist game, the dude with the giant shield is going to be very defensive and help out their teammates. What happens when a human being has full control over that whenever assist was up because it's on a three second time or like you know a lot of tag games every three seconds, Basically I can say okay, I'm gonna shield you, and that he would do a super risky move, but I would call in the shield, which gives him a hit of armor so the opponent can't retaliate and then he attacks best. Can we get giant combo off? It's so much fun to play Duo's Jeff, it sounds incredible.
Speaker 1: We'll have to go to get in there and once this is this game might come out this year, but it's maybe looking more likely. Have yeah. No.
Speaker 2: I was talking to the director Sean at EVO.
Speaker 1: He was very much like.
Speaker 2: YEP twenty twenty five. I was like, can you guys commit to a window even loosely at this point, He's like, twenty twenty five five.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, as we were closive later in the year, Yeah, that that sounds like what he was trying to say there. Yeah, as as we do get closer though, well we'll hop in there and we'll see if we can make that a thing here where we'll all take turns with building teams and fighting and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: The lobby is very cool, Jeff. If you haven't seen yet, just real quick. It's the art system work style lobby where you have like your little avatars running around, but you can actively watch any match that's happening on the little arcade machines, not just for show anymore.
Speaker 1: That's really cool. Yeah, we can just hang.
Speaker 2: Out in a lobby. We could, like in the future, get TNT going or something. We're just a bunch of giant bombs, you know, friends and fans are hanging out and we just watch these ours matches and you could commentate them and stuff. It's it's gonna be a great game.
Speaker 1: I saw Borderlands.
Speaker 2: Why would you do that to yourself?
Speaker 1: Jam Jan said, we should see it for for work, And then and then I saw in the discord he saw. I don't even want to talk about it because there's absolutely nothing going on in that movie. And uh, jeff, it's rough, man.
Speaker 2: I am one of the few people on earth who literally could get paid to see this movie. Huh, and you can't pay me to see this movie.
Speaker 1: It's it is rough. Yeah, I am describing it mostly as a gauntlet where it is just NonStop like beating you down with loud noises and nonsense. It is so crazy that this movie even exists. There is just nothing inside of its head. And it's like so much worse than that because it's not even interested in like doing anything that has any emotional weight ever. It is just a bunch of weird dude bro sitting in a room going, wouldn't it be cool if we did this? And then they end up with scenes where and I'm gonna spoil this movie a little bit, sorry everybody, but there, yeah, there's tiny Tina and they're playing the whole movie like, you know, she's gonna be like this important character that's going to ascend or whatever get these powers, and it's like, no, instead, the main character gets those because she's the main character. And she literally says Kate Lanchell literally says the tiny Tina like you're special, just not in that way. You're not like actually special, You're just like kind of the other special. And it's really weird because it's like she's just saying like you, like, you're a little girl who thought like you were important and you've been living your life like that and you're not. And it's like, why even have this scene? Who thought that this was a good idea where we're just gonna feel bad for this this younger character so that Kate Lanchett can get fire wings and action scene at the end of the movie that it was probably Rady Why Yeah, I don't know, jan why please hm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Hm, oh dang spade it out of existence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's I don't blame him. I uh. There were several several times in the movie where I just had to like literally put my hands on my head because I it was an assault on the senses in all the worst ways. Honestly, it does remind me a lot of early video game adaptations. You've You've a Bowl. Absolutely, it is just like one crazy scene after another that has nothing to say, and it's just painful to watch. So yeah, go see it.
Speaker 2: Did you take anything out of this is there? Because clearly it's not so bad it's good, is it? It's so bad that it's funny that it's bad?
Speaker 1: I think so, Yes, absolutely, it is not a fun watch, but it is fun in the moment to be like, oh my god, I can't believe that this thing exists and that I am going to there might be a time where I survived this movie. It is. And like thinking about Kate Lanchet's career, like I couldn't help but think like this is this is I'm just gonna be thinking about this forever and when we look back at her career and be like, oh, remember what she did that Borderlands movie, and that's gonna make it her career more interesting. So there's fun stuff to like consider while you're watching it.
Speaker 2: But I mean, yeah, like like Tamsund GMM on Friday, just like shout out the entwers were getting the bag, dude. They were just like, sure, you're gonna get me money, dude, this shit fine? Whatever?
Speaker 1: John, have you ever seen Spy Kids?
Speaker 2: I love Spy Kids. Jan Jan is very quiet, by the way, but yeah, I'll turn him up.
Speaker 1: A bad spy kids. Yeah, oh good, what a kid?
Speaker 2: I mean, Spy Kids three was bad spy kids? How do you get more bad spy kids than that?
Speaker 1: Gotta be worse than that.
Speaker 2: Order Lands, Yeah, I really love that.
Speaker 1: Man. Well br this week, Yeah, well this will be BCR this week. That's a good idea.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I really liked all the bad CGI and the bad green screens and stuff. There are several moments where it's like it looks so bad that it almost feels like it's done on purpose. And that's fun too. So I don't know. I I enjoy how bad it is, but I think for most people when they say it's so bad, it's good and it's fun, this is not the type they're talking about. This is truly like you need to be ready for a paint box. And yeah, I don't know, but in theaters now, everybody go see it if you want. I guess. Let's explain what we do here most weekdays, I Jeff Grub, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you were watching live on Twitch Welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for games More or find the RSS on gibomb dot com. You can also get to show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with Tango GameWorks saved by pubg publisher crafton High Fi Rush rights also acquire. This is from Jason Finelli at GameSpot. Yeah we did it, everybody. Tango GameWorks was closed by Microsoft in May, and many lamented the loss of a studio that had operated for nearly fifteen years and produced games like Surprise twenty twenty three hit High Fi Rush. Soul based publisher craft In Inc. Has saved the day, however, as the firm announced that it has acquired both Tango GameWorks and the High Fi Rush IP from Microsoft. The agreement will allow Tango to continue developing the High Fi Rush IP and explore future project projects, according to Crafton's official announcement of the move. The statement also confirms there will be no impact on other Tango projects like The Evil Within and Ghost Wire Tokyo, which will remain with Microsoft. Hey, okay, I didn't know this was an option. I didn't know that this was possible. This is incredible, especially because it did happen back in May. We are now in August. That's like, you know, a quarter of years gone by where we've just been like that studio's done and Microsoft never even like suggested that, like they put the team up on the off ramp block or something like that. So for Crafton to come along and be like, hey, well we'll take the team on, and I guess they put out the word like, hey, if you worked at the studio, come back, you have a job. Basically, it's how, it's how, it's what. It sounds like. How realistic that is We'll see, But that's amazing wild. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like the initial story I read was like they're they're saying like, yeah, we want to ease the transition between Microsoft announcers. I'm like, wait, what if you bring a zombie back? Dude? How Yeah? Of all people, publishers, whatever companies, Crafted is not who I would have expected.
Speaker 1: Right, Craft did seem like they might have like lost their appetite for this sort of thing after what was the space sci fi procol clistal Protocol, thank you. After clist Protocol, which was very expensive, seemed like it got rushed out by Crafton specifically, and then the final result wasn't very impressive and it didn't sell very well and might might be loosing frames here everybody. I'll keep an eye on that. But yeah, so I thought after that they would not be interested in something like this. So to see these headlines and be like, well, okay, so Crafton they're getting back in this and they specifically are doing it to acquire High Fi Rush, so this team can make more High Fi Rush. Okay, that sounds good. And now let's be real, a High Fi Rush two, like even one that's bigger than High Fi Rush one, it's probably still not as inexpensive of a project as a Clisto Protocol was, which seemed like it cost a lot of money when it was all said and done. I think we have a number for that, but it was like sixty seventy eighty million dollars or something for that, maybe even more or High Fight Rush too, you could probably get away with, like, you know, a smaller team really focused on the combat and the music, and if you nail that, you have most of the game right there. So maybe this is the scale that they've been eyeing all along and they're very happy to swoop in and do that. But either way, I know High Fight Rush was your game of the year, right runner up? Runner up?
Speaker 2: That's only to Tears of the Kingdom, but that's also against Heres of Kingdom. You basically are my game of Year. The thing about this is they keep pointing out in like releases I've seen about the IP they got the IP High Fire Rush. Do not be surprised if we see some mobile version or mobile game or something spun out of this, maybe even buy a different team or something or whatever. Whether you want there or not, I won't be surprised if that happens. They want to do more with the IP because it's like this untapped new IP of you know, anime adjacent variety, you know, Saturday Morning cartoons, So I won't be surprised to see that in addition to the indible High Fi Rush, to which they are probably going to try to push pretty hard, which I'm all for. Yeah, that game, that first game ruled.
Speaker 1: Yep, I'm down as well. And you know, I think an elite beat Agent style High Fi Rush for mobile give me that do make that right now? Do you think makes I don't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go make like a cartoon that you like, a pedal somewhere on video.
Speaker 1: Or right exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's definitely money to be made here. And I think that's what they're like. They're like, shoot, like we pulled this team out of the depths, and we get a bunch of stuff that we can use for all these multimedia projects. That's where I see them looking, and I don't know, they're like that seems okay to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean the game that High Fi Rush had very strong characters, a really good look in a striking style. You can take all that and apply that very easily to any number of mediums. And really what that is is like players can acted with what they saw in those games, and that's what you could trade on. That's what makes High Fight Rush valuable and what's going to keep this team alive apparently. So yeah, really cool stuff.
Speaker 2: Get Studio Trigger to make an anime, you know, yeah and everything my favorite studio if they did High Fight Rush. First of all, that's a perfect match for them, like the whole like rock music mixed with like high energy anime. Sure make a show that just just do it.
Speaker 1: That'd be great, that'd be excellent. Uh, Ghost Tokyo, Evil Within not going with the studio, But you know, those were like I you know, I think the team that probably is going to remain at Tango Game works Are is likely the High Fight Rush people, so that that is what the and that they're gonna work on that next. They probably wouldn't have the capacity to work on something like that. Do you think Microsoft ever does anything with the Evil Within or Ghost Wire Tokyo ever?
Speaker 2: Again, Ghost Tokyo probably not within. I think there's like potential there, but that's also a kind of thing where you would have to like hand it off to different people, So I'm not sure that they would want to do that over like you know, something original does. Just the fracturing of IP from team and now some of the team is scattered. We'll see how much of that comes back and yeah, yeah, just every everything is going to be weird regarding all of this right now, I think just the future of the future of this team with Tango is with High Fight Rush and then the IP may be staying just where it is with the respective rights holders that you know, But does in Earth.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, let's move it along here to the next story. Nintendo Switch To may have second cooling fan and higher wattage charger. This is from Ryan Whitwham at Extreme Tech. Nintendo had an instant hit when it launched the Nintendo Switch. Gamers took to the hybrid console setup, making the Switch the best console selling best selling console of this generation, and Nintendo is now looking to build on that success. The Nintendo Switch To could be revealed in just a few months. In fact, we know, but it's going to be revealed within the next six months at some point, and the device could have more cooling and faster charging than the current model. Nintendo has yet to confirm anything about the new console's hardware. These details come from the Nintendo fan forum fammy boards, where gamers have produced shipping manifest to infer what Nintendo is planning the consoles. Sleus have discovered the Nintendo is purchasing a second cooling fan, which does not appear to be for the console itself, so maybe for the dock is what people are speculating. Like the original, the Switch To is expected to have a cooling fan inside to keep the next generation tegrid chip cool This second fan is smaller than the one inside even the current switch, leading to speculation that the fan is destined for the dock. The current switch dock is a little more than a glorified HD mid mount. With the addition of a cooling fan to the sequel, that could suggest a higher power mode with better performance. Now the family boards is a this is like what they do. They look for any sort of information like this. There could always be noise in the signal. Sometimes they do find signal and the noise of course, I think that, you know, I wouldn't be surprised by this. And if there is a cooling fan in the dock, I think it's probably for two things. One being, like what they're saying here, a higher wattage mode of when it's docked, which is something the switch already does. But maybe they'll they're going to be willing to Maybe they're likely building they're specking out the Tegra, the new Tegra for this idea explicitly, and that means that, hey, maybe we can have an even higher power mode that can support you know, a rendering video at four K things like that. Then you know, even like rendering video at four K for Netflix can cause a chip to get pretty hot, so that'll be useful for that. Now. The other thing is there were some people on family boards saying that one of the rumors they've heard, and this is a rumor, is that the switch to dock connected to your TV will be able to output video on its own, whether or not the switch to is docked or not. And that means maybe a couple of things. One, maybe there will be some like menu navigation stuff you can do there. That's been like, hey, we're waiting for the dock and in the meantime, here's some settings. And then also it could mean that you could have a wireless switch to connected to the dock that could be in video, so you could have either dual screen video or you could just be holding the switch to and play your games on the TV without having to actually connect it.
Speaker 2: I would assume way less than that. I would assume it's just a switch not connected screen.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's I mean, that's why I led with that, because people are jumping to dual screen gaming is coming back, and I think the more likely scenario is this is just a slightly less dumb dock than last time. It's the most likely scenario. Maybe maybe it does like have its own processor for streaming video when the switch to wasn't connected. That doesn't make a ton of sense to me.
Speaker 2: Now that that doesn't seem like Nintendo's m do like their style. Yes, like the doc, I got stashways somewhere I unplugged after we placed Switch Sports Society use in the switch right now, let me tell you I got Steam dock right back there. The dock itself is basically just the USB C hub, like you buy an Amazon and just plug that thing in. It's just that Nintendo only allows you know, certain it's It's really weird the way they do it, where I forget exactly what it is because you can have third party docs. They've been around for a while, but they need to meet the specific it's.
Speaker 1: The power delivery issue, right, that seems to be the.
Speaker 2: It's not even power delivery, it's something else where, like some handshake needs to happen with the HDMI and everything where, Yeah, that needs to happen Anyways, I would just assume that they're making it a little more user friendly so that like older people can figure out, oh, maybe this isn't connected, right, Like the doc can tell them, something is loose, something is connected, and you know these things are plugged or unplugged. I'd assume that's what's happening there. The fan thing, on the other hand, so people may not know this, the switch as it is right now is severely underclocked, even in docked mode, and that's because of the way they did this setup where the DOC is very domb.
Speaker 1: And the rumors are switched to is going to be the exact same way where in handheld mode it's going to be very underclocked.
Speaker 2: Right, which makes sense. Yeah, because especially if they I maintain, we've both said this, you'llly need to hit seven to twenty P in handheld.
Speaker 1: Like for like six do a scream, But yes, they should only do seven to twenty B.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Rendering at least should only be twenty like if you need to go up to ten eighty for ease of getting those panels in their whatever. But yeah, anyways, the point is that with the DOC having a second fan, that would be helpful for when they maybe they actually let this chip go up to its maximum bounds or like you know, a little bit below bounce so it doesn't get two warms as you will be you know, there will be situations where you just you know, take the switch out right away and you don't want to be hot or anything. So that's probably what that is there for, and making it always cool and comfortable to handle and everything like that. But then you can push those you know, like like we were saying, you're not gonna have like four K games on the switch shoe necessarily, maybe indie games could if it supports that, but you probably will have four K video out just so it looks a little nice, h your four K TV, and then you know, any video apps that do show up can't support that. And just having a second cooling fan making any upscaling run a little bit easier too, if they are doing some DLSS equivalent or AI upscaling anything like that, you know, like making the system run cooler because all that does require horsepower. That that's what I see happening.
Speaker 1: Here now, Okay, so then let's do the Pine the Sky version where the you know, the post I saw on family boards was it's like a reverse we you with DLSS, and so right, it's nice to want things. I also am like, let's like, you know, pump the brakes here a little bit and be a little bit realistic and try to keep a perspective on this. But if that does happen, if that is the gimmick here where it is like, oh yeah, you could just beam video to your thing and probably uses like some new protocol or Wi Fi director or something like that. I don't know, and that could work. Uh, I would be okay with it, But I'm not sure that I think it is. I don't know. It doesn't feel like Nintendo Nintendo style to go back to something after they've already gone away from it and dual screen gaming coming back now. To be fair, they have a lot of dual screen games that they can upres and remake and all that stuff, and that way they would probably want to do that. Maybe that's what where Nintendo's at right now, But I don't know. I think they want to make stuff feel pretty much pretty similar to the Switch, and I think the kinds of gimmicks that I was expecting would be less to do with how the games themselves are rendered or presented. And I so, I don't know, what are you thinking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is just gonna be a continuation of what they have because under new management, I think they recognize that the switch was a success for very specific reasons and that you just don't mess with what works. You know, they were willing to take more risks under the Awata period of Nintendo even before that. I watched what did you know Gaming's recent sixty four d D episode and the Yeah, even under the previous president before that, they were willing to take more risks. That's how we got stuff like sixty four d D. I think this is going to be more of the same, with some cool new tech that they try that may not be intrusive. So think like you know, HD rumble that kind of thing. With Nintendo, you always need to look at what tech is out there right now because they are just very smart in repurposing existing tech to do new things. And I just don't see any sort of like dual screen thing really happening here, if nothing else, because it might be confusing to consumers, and they don't want that because they definitely have the market of easy to understand, like so many people I know just have a switch because they're like, oh, yeah, switch does work. I don't need to think too hard about on narthing that. That's what That's why I think they're gonna stick with Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the gimmicks I would like to see would be similar stuff to like, oh, being able to beam a wireless video signal, but I would want that to be used for a switch to just knows when other switch tos are around, and it's it can like intelligently handle multiplayer gaming sessions and street pass similar ideas things like that, and sure and like oh you can you know, do a thing where it's okay, we are playing on one system and people have like are bringing their system over and now we can just being them all to one DOC that can take all this information in and either display the side by side gameplay or something like that, or just use it as a controller. I mean, I just things along those lines.
Speaker 2: Switch does a lot of games don't take advantage of it.
Speaker 1: And it's a very archaic in the way it does that stuff the way like yes, and I just kind of wanted to be a little bit more intelligent. Yeah, yeah, I just kind of feel more natural. And I think that they might have stuff like that that they will bundle up in some new marketing term and presented it presented that way. But we'll see either way. Higher wattach charger Charger and second Coloon fan. Yeah, that sounds right.
Speaker 2: I mean one thing that makes sense for where mobile is at right, where.
Speaker 1: All processors are at right, Like they're like we can put more power in these things because they're more efficient. That means we can put more power into it without having a fire start. So this is where all processes processes are at. So yeah, that sounds about right, all right. Next story, The sentiment around Marathon at Bungie is not great, it's claimed. This is from Chris scullying at vgc UH. The mood at Bungeie regarding its upcoming game Marathon is quote not great, it is claimed appearing on the latest episode of Scillop's Friends per Seconds podcast. It's not just Scillups, it's also Lucy James games is. Bloomberg journalist Jason Tryer was asked what the temperature check was at Bungie relating to Marathon. Shreier replied, not great. From what I've heard, there's a reason that it was planned for this year and slipped the whole year, and people I've talked to are a little pessimistic about it even hitting its current plan deadline. But we'll see. I don't know exactly when that is sometime at twenty twenty five. I'm not sure. And that's twenty twenty five is what I've heard as well. Nothing more specific than that. He added, Yeah, the sentiment I've heard is not great around it, at least of a few months ago. Tryer also pointed out that the game received a leadership shake up earlier this year, when game director Christopher Barrett and executive producer Carrie Guscos left the project. Giving his opinion on the likely reception of the game when it's released, Schreier said he didn't feel like Bungie fan base would be enthusiastic about a PvP extraction shooter, and that he was concerned it's continued development may lead to a similar issue to that of Suicide Squad killed the Justice League. I mean, this is you know, if you we're gonna tryers sort of post mortems on these things. It is the same story every time, where you know there's an idea, regardless of where the idea comes from, that doesn't seem to matter. It could come from the development team, it could come from up above and say hey make a game like this. But a lot of times these days these teams will work on these projects for a very long time and it feels like, yeah, we're chasing a trend. Here are we going to get there? And then they say, well, you are blank and in this case you are Bungee. In these previously you are BioWare you are what's the suicide squad team's rock siding. So therefore you've got the magic sauce, You've got the juice. Just use that, Just use like that like you always have and time and time again. That only works until it doesn't, and then when it breaks, it breaks hard and you get a suicide squad. Now that said, I think that I'm a little bit more slightly more optimistic than Jason here just because I think that the Bungee audience will maybe adopt an extraction shooter if it is you know, like we got the war Zone from a call of duty of like, here's like a battle Royale for the Call of Duty audience, and that worked really well. They hopped on that very hard, and I think that there is a Bungee audience that's like, we just like the Bungee shooting. If you have a new game mode idea, we will be down as long as the shooting feels like a Bungie game, and I think they can accomplish that, but extraction shooter chasing that trend, it is tough. But I I think the extractioned shooter genre is still ripe for that war zone moment. What do you think.
Speaker 2: Personally? I think I've talked about this before somewhere, but I do think it's like I compared to uh, that's right, I compared to mobis where I'm like, is a genre or is it like everyone trying to chase what like water or two teams are doing very very well and like that, which again someone very pedantic point, Yes, it's still a genre. I mean metaphorically, like is this actually like a market that is chaseable or is everyone just trying to get the same goal and goose that can only pop out? So my eggs, you know, because even Call of Duty, you know, they put out DMZ their extraction shooter mode. First of all, I don't know if that was good. I think all extraction shooters are boring by play to I'm like, there's not a lot to do here. I think that's just how most other people felt about it too, and now they just completely deemphasized it. After putting all that effort into making it right.
Speaker 1: Not a good sign that call of duty couldn't make that work right.
Speaker 2: At the same time, that is just a mode in war Zone, so they can just you know, have escape plan out of there. Yeah, if you're dedicating a lot of resources into making this new game, I would assume free to play, but maybe nots not all of them are free to play. If you're trying to make this big new project using christ all, using existing IP where people did not expect Extraction Shooter out of all this, Uh, you really got to make a hit. And like you were saying, with just going to a studio and saying, oh, you got the sauce, make it work, that can't happen because those teams got to be where they are because they're good at doing what they do, not doing what someone else does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's I think that there is always this back and forth we have where it's like, hey, studios should be able to shouldn't be afraid to branch out, And it's I always go back to Christopher McCrory talking about like he was like watching Last Jedi movie. I love you, I love Last Jedi, but I think he still said something pretty pretty poignant about it, where it was you got to give fans what they want in a way they don't expect. You can't give them what they're not expecting, like, you have to give them what they want, and then once that, once you have that, then you can mix, mix and match and to try new things in that space in that box the.
Speaker 2: Steve Jobs method.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, yes, And I think that a lot of like the call of duty war Zone, that was what people wanted in a way that they weren't quite expecting. The extraction is a little bit too far afield for.
Speaker 2: Some people's That's why the people were willing to hop onto that boat, because war zone is enough of call of duty that it makes sense for that audience to get in there and try that new thing. But if you're trying something very very different and just the thing that has in common is the control method, I think you might be setting yourself up for some disappointment there.
Speaker 1: As I've heard before and I said on the show and elsewhere, Marathon, a lot is riding on it for Bungie, it's got it. It does have to go well for them to like have a sort of un obstructed future. So if that goes well, if it does sell the weight it needs to and performs the weight it needs to critically, they might get a chance to reassess the future of Destiny or new ventures for Destiny. And of course that also that also relies on Destiny two's ongoing content also doing well. So boy, it's like a parlay that they need to hit.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I just hate this feeling right now. Of any studio should not have their future riding on like one game that people are uncertained of. If their next game was Destiny three, I would have no like qualitified. It is like, yeah, of course, like they're gonna make Destiny three, you'll have some level of success. Who knows, in you know, twenty twenty four or twenty twenty five where that will land. But at least we're not saying to ourselves, hope this one sticks, so more people aren't affected by layoffs and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, doomsday dance set and chance to stop saying Destiny three like it's possible and fair point, honestly good point, because it's it's just really right now, the reasonable thing, the responsible thing, is to stop suggesting that it's really even possible. It just doesn't feel in the cards at anytime.
Speaker 2: I was always surprised that could have been the car. I forgot to mention this the last time we talked about this, because we talked about this subject too recently. Destiny two, to my understanding, was always intended to be like a two point zero, and then Act Division wanted the branding of a sequel when they were still published under activity. And that's why that's why to me, Destiny three specifically always felt unlikely because it felt like what the team wanted to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that is the case, Like they were never making a Destiny three, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then they could have been making like something in a Destiny world. Maybe that was like one of the options.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was That's what payback was going to be, was going to be, right, a new Destiny experience and stuff like that. So they want to do more stuff in DestinE, but that's not happening either.
Speaker 2: With gambling for kids six as a WIFU of course, of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh, all right, let's uh, let's take a quick break when we get back. More headlines, including the flop that was border Lands right after this. All right, let's get back into it. Let's see what Randy Pitchford's been up to. Borderlands movie is a huge flop over first weekend. This is from Eddie McCoo at game Spot. The Borderlands film received generally poor reviews from critics, but that doesn't always signal a lack of success in the box office, as many poorly rated films performed just fine. However, that wasn't the case for the Borderlands movie, which is bombing with only eight point eight million dollars for its opening weekend in the United States. The movie earned seven point seven million from international markets for a global start of sixteen point five million. Variety, which supplied the box office numbers, said the figure was embarrassing. The report said about sixty percent of Borderlands movie production costs have already been made back through pre sales to international exhibitors. However, it's still a discipline and result for the film, which carried a reported production budget of one hundred and fifteen million dollars and an advertising and distribution cost of about thirty million. The not only is Borderlands scoring poorly with critics, the film earned a T plus rating on Cinema Score. What sorry, what that is crazy? Okay for people that don't know. Cinema score is exit polls at movies from people who just saw the movie, and uh, put like, you can't put yourself in that in that position, You've got to think about the average of the average. Think of imagine someone from Idiocracy going and like answering that the lowest movie really ever does is like a B. There are the occasional c pluses, but really it's like if it's a bad movie, it's a really bad sign if it gets like a B plus because people just like are coming out, they paid money for it. They don't want to feel like they wasted their money, so they're like, I guess it was a B. And then like, you know, an A minus, a plus those are actually good scores. Those are really really good scores. But B is like, Okay, that's a bad sign. A D plus is insane. I don't think I've ever seen that. That's that's incredible, And I guess that really speaks to it, Like we're not overstating up at this movie. This is it is an absolute trash parade the entire time. I can't believe it. But also not making money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the big thing. This is what's set to be a record loss. Yep, like movie history or something like.
Speaker 1: That's definitely there's a it's a massive, massive gap for the box office opening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you combine the budget of the film with like budget on marketing and everything like that. Yeah, they're they're to set a record here and not in any good way.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, this is and it's far Like it's like, clearly video game movies can perform well, but this just had all of the elements to avoid success in every turn. Like it's like, Okay, the brand is something, but everything else just completely missed. Yeah. I I'll be interested to see like how this all shakes out. But I bet this scares off a studio like Lionsgate from dipping their toes into video game movies too much going forward. And Randy Pittriott already sort of washing his hands from it. He's like, so, what I'm hearing is you like when we make Borderlands better than when Hollywood elites make it. It's like, Randy, you were on set the entire time. What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: You made this because you wanted to be the next coach am I and you just are not bro. You are not You have a very moist thumb drive, sin around and that's all you got, dude.
Speaker 1: And this I don't know. When I watched this movie, I get his sensibilities throughout, Like this feels very much like he's like and that's the prestige the whole time. So again, go see it. You got to see it. Everybody that can't be alone in this feeling, you all have to see it too. I think, all right, let's keep going here. Capcom would like to re release all their classic fighting games on modern consoles. This is from Yeah, that sounds like a not a bad idea. There was a lot of hype when excuse me if there was, for Capcom revealing the Marvel versus Capcom fighting game Arcade Classics, which is due out on the Nintendo's Which later this year, as well as other platforms. Shuehey Matsumoto, who is the producer of the Marvel versus Capcom fighting collection Arcade Classics, told IGN recently Capcom would like to reach as many people as possible by releasing all their classic fighting games on modern systems. We want all our classic fighting games to be available for modern consoles because we just want to be able to reach as many people who may have never had the opportunity to play these games back in the day Matsumoto began. So we constantly think forward and we want to make sure that it's as as accessible as possible for all audiences. They got a lot of fighting games that they could work with, and yeah, what is stopping them other than nothing, Like it's just Capcom at this point, just do it all, right.
Speaker 2: So I was saying recent case, we were going to put anything out there, but I did interview Matsumoto at EVO as well, and since I don't know what's going on in an interview, I'll just point out here on the show a little bit of breaking news for everyone here. So I was told the same thing when I asked about classic games, like, he was like, yeah, like I love bringing back this old stuff. I asked him about physical copies. He said a physical copy of Marvel versus Capcom Fine Collection was one of the reasons that they want to do it, because he likes collecting those things. He wants a permanent version that from who can play going forward. I also asked him about Xbox and I was like, Hey, it's cool that you're putting this out, but nothing for the Xbox audience, like that seems kind of weird, especially since you've done past releases on Xbox. And what he told me was, we would love to put on Xbox. We I want the game to be everywhere personally, but due to circumstances which I could get not get further clarification on, we can't put on Xbox right now. Well we'll see if that changes in the future. I'm paraphrasing a little bit, so maybe don't take that as a direct quote, but he basically said we would like to do this, but circumstances prevented, which again I couldn't get clarification on. To me read as maybe there is something weird going on with like Xbox one publishing, because as we've determined now, you know, people are like, well, maybe empty framework because that's not on series and PS five and that you know, that is why these games are being released as PS four games for PlayStation. So wait, they'll run PS five, So maybe that is the case where they need would need to make an Xbox One version, And maybe Microsoft's being weird about Xbox one publishing right now, like you only get so many in a year or something. That speculation on my part. But that's why I was like, the only thing I could think of after getting the response.
Speaker 1: Well, the good news does seem to be here that they are determined to get a lot of these games to return, and clearly they're very happy about the response to the Classics collection here, what do you think are the first prime candidates to make a return? I mean, to me, I do jump immediately to Darkstalkers.
Speaker 2: Of classic games, like if it's more collections like fighting collections, I think something with maybe some of the three D games would be next up, like Rival Schools, stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I also had something about like Capcom versus S and K, and he was like, look, we would love to do that in the future, but nothing to announce at this time. Is kind of what I got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a Street fight Er ex collection is what I want next. Actually yeah, but I.
Speaker 2: Mean they worked with S and K to do SVC Chaos that re released instantly, so I would not be surprised if we see like SVC wanted to come out as maybe like a smaller collection, slightly smaller amount of money, but me, it's like forty bucks because you need to collaborate within our company, won't be surprised. See that's the next one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think the underlying story here just Capcom has enough the irons in the fire and they're successful enough that they could sort of like take a breath and be like, Okay, do we have teams that can continue exploring other opportunities for us to grow and to take advantage of our ip I mean, as they are looking for opportunities in the future for the growth that they that they've had over the last several years, they will reach a point where, you know, there aren't any more Resident Evil games to remake anymore and things like that, and it's like, Okay, in the meantime, while we approach that time down the road, let's get some other stuff sort of churning back into people's minds so they can be those they could feel like active franchises, so that if we did want to do something new with one of these other games, there is a baseline level of excitement we can expect. Not only are the old heads going to remember that these games exist, but now we've gotten a whole new generation excited, and we have like the machinations to make that happen with like people like Maximilian dude who can get people excited for these things just sort of by manufacturing his excitement out there. So Capcom just feels like they're in a strong place to know how to take advantage of these things and to maximize their return on it. So yeah, good news. I think it feels like.
Speaker 2: Just smart people are running all elements of that company right now, and they're like, oh, the fans want this thing, Well, the fans will give us money, so we'll we just give the fans what they want exactly. Why yeah, why don't all companies do that? You know?
Speaker 1: Yep? Absolutely? Fortnite's Disney games and experiences are still a few years away. The surem Eddi mccoot game spot shout out to Eddie for all the hard work. Disney has provided an update on how it's partnership with Epic Games to create games and experiences for Fortnite is coming along, and it's still some time off. In a blog post, Disney said Fortnite's all new games and entertainment universe themed around Disney is still a few years away. Disney also reiterated what it's hoping to achieve with this partnership, which saw Disney invest a further one point five billion dollars into Epic Games. Disney said fans can think of it like a place where all your favorite Disney characters in worlds converge in one connected universe. In this connected universe, inside Fortnite, Disney fans can watch, play and even create their own adventures. It sounds similar to epics deal with Lego, which saw Lego invest significant capital into Epic Games to create what would eventually become Lego Fortnite. That game exists as one of the multiple distinct games Slash experiences on Fortnite, alongside titles like Rocket Racing and Fortnite Festival, in addition to the original Batteryale game, which was not the original game at all actually.
Speaker 2: Nope, save the World yep.
Speaker 1: Well, Disney fans have to wait a while longer for the Disney Slash Fortnite experiences. Disney villains Belepicent, Corella de Ville, and Captain Hook are coming to Fortnite this fall, and from Pixar, members of The Incredibles are coming to Fortnite also this fall, and the next set of Star Wars characters and items like ig Eleven, Mouff, Gideon, and Grogu back Bling are coming this week, so there's a lot more. Obviously, they have this real growth crow gu back bling. That's a great phrase read that. No, Well, listen, when I was studying journalism and I never did that either, I always knew this day would come where I had to say grow goo back playing. Yeah. I mean, we knew that this, the big experience, was going to be a few years off. They announced it like when the deal was done, and we know these projects can take a long time to come together, and this was never going to be some small little side project that that one point five billion dollar investment signified how big this was supposed to be, So we knew that was a ways off. In the meantime, how do you feel about like incredible showing up in Fortnite? I don't know who is that because it's a little weird to me.
Speaker 2: Bro the last girl in Fortnite?
Speaker 1: Okay, listen, I'm not complaining exactly, of course, how man of those Pixar moms? Of course, damn right.
Speaker 2: I'm excited about Disney experiences, like what this means, like what the individual one means? What multiple could mean? I me and my friends recently hopped back into Fortnite to just like see what is Fortnite nowadays? You know, we played here on the site sometimes when new characters drop, ors new mode or something that we want to check out, and we tried out the various experiences like rocket Racing and the big one for us wash was it called Festival the rock band one because we were big rock band people back in the day. That's what we did during high school. It was all the rage back then. Uh, and those got good. I remember telling you when they first those first came out that they were jank. There was some weirdness around them. Some things didn't feel right. But both rocket Racing and Festival are now very good.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good sign.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now it's just now. I just have Fortnite takingupla one hundred gigs in my heart rive because me and my friends just hop in there. Sometimes they were like, hey, let's see what the songs are in Festival this week. You know, let's you know, we play some Lady Gaga, some Metallica. We laugh about it all and have good time. I'm interested to see what spins out of all this this Fortnite Disney stuff, because I mean, I don't know they can make some kind of interesting, like really well produced experience within Fortnite. It could be cool like those things. If they have, like, you know, a team putting a lot of effort into it, it's neat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, it feels like Disney trying to like stick out a future in gaming that is different than their previous efforts of hey, maybe it will be a publisher, maybe we'll just license out games, and kind of oscillating between those two positions and now being like, well, what kind of company is Disney, and so well, well, we're you know, we're a big ip company obviously, but we're also like we are experiences, Like you go to experience our films and then you come to the parks to experience those films in the real world. Having like them, say okay, well, let's take that line of thinking and apply it to games. How would we do that? A Fortnite Disney experience is the way you do that right now. I think it probably changes in the next ten years, but for now, this is the closest thing to like, yeah, maybe right, and maybe it doesn't. Maybe this is just what games looks look like for a very long time and in the meantime, Disney storted hopping on at this point doesn't feel like they missed the train yet, doesn't feel like they're too late. They kind of feel like early movers still, so we'll see if they're able to capitalize on this. Yeah, the Witcher four will feature Garalt, but not as the lead character actor claims. This is from Jordan Miller at VGC, who says the Witcher four will feature the return of Garalt, but according to the character's voice actor, he won't be the star. Speaking as part of an interview, Doug Cockle commented on the fourth game, which is currently in development at Polish Studio CD Project Red. The Witcher four has been announced. I can't say anything about it, Cockle said. We know that Garott will be part of the game. We just don't know how much. The game won't focus on Garlt, so it's not about his this time. We don't know who it's about. I'm excited to find out. Uh Gerald, I mean, listen, I'm gonna say how I'm gonna say it.
Speaker 2: I have no idea Listen, I just know him as Jerry of the River Maximilian six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna call him Jeral, just call him Jerry. Yeah, old Jael Jerry. Uh yeah, Jerry's been in a bunch of games now, and like, I'm pretty sure they're passing on to like Sirie or something like that. I haven't played many of the Witcher games. I don't.
Speaker 2: I tried, not for me, bro, everyone is so over rough, old sad dad character. No, we're all about the hot young female lead right now to everybody's Witcher's getting in on too, come.
Speaker 1: Up, And but I do. My understanding of like the way Witching works in this game and then in this universe is that's completely fine. It's not like there is just one Witcher. It's like Witcher's a job.
Speaker 2: It's a title. Yeah, yeah, I can say like someone else, but that's actually a spoiler. But yeah, I never played the Witcher games. Just because I tried three, I was like, oh, this is Western RPGs. Western rpg just not for me, but I get it, and hey, I know more part of you Witcher fans, I guess.
Speaker 1: Finally, there was a Nintendo Dolphin console discovered, and console variations kind of give us the lowdown on exactly what's going on here. Many people believe this project Dolphin console never existed, but thanks to some exclusive pictures that console Variations was allowed to take. After seven years of being a secret, we could finally give the Dolphin the spotlight. There was a bunch of pictures taken of this system that apparently has been sitting on Rare limited shelves, shelves in their office for a very long time. They were able to get it down to take a look at it, and it does so many ports in the back, and it feels heavy compared to a regular GameCube, and that's because it is made out of wood. It is a early mock up that has no internal that. They're like, it's a model. Yeah, they were like people were like, oh, maybe we get some early firmware and kind of see what get little insight into like what development was like, it's like, no, that's not what this is. This is just them showing the console to close partners and or maybe, honestly, maybe it's even possible that there was an early like blueprint design. I don't know what it would be first, something like this, but blueprint design, and someone at Rare it is like, I have a which workshop at home, I'll just build up a model. So we could see what it looks like. Yeah, and maybe someone did that, but it's pretty pretty still pretty fun to see this thing. I like that these things exist because this is how people used to do things like this. I remember early when the GameCube was getting announced IGN actually right after it was done being called like IGN sixty four was Okay, we see these early pictures of what the GameCube controller looks like. We're gonna like build a model out of clay so we could see what it feels like and doesn't it feel great and stuff like them, like, oh, this is awesome. So I like this sort of thing, but Nope, not in early GameCube at.
Speaker 2: All, okay, and also shouts to Console Variations dot Com, a place I just spend random parts of the day just browsing because I'm like, ooh, I would like this limited edition system and ooh that one looks really nice.
Speaker 1: Yep. I was definitely on there for I think I was trying to find the specific model of Sega Rally two that I had at my arcade, and there was a little bit of coverage on Console Variations dot Com actually on their forums. But yeah, Console Variations dot Com, everyone go check them out.
Speaker 2: I got one last thing to sneak in under the wire here, because I don't think you got just a bit of a sad one. This morning we found out that Rachel lillis the voice of Misty and Jesse in the Pokemon anime, recently did pass away from breast cancer. Unfortunately, so shouts to her for just being a huge part of so many of our child.
Speaker 1: Yep, rest in peace, absolutely that is that's a shame, but yep rest and power like people are going to remember that voice forever. Alright, let's see here, I have the poll. Let me bring that up right now, there we go. Have you ever been to a gaming convention? Uh? Seventy three percent said no, twenty seven percent said yes. It's a pretty big number of people. I think the quarter of all respondents of the three thousand people who voted have been to a gaming convention before.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest, I almost expected it to be more from the Giant Bomb audience specifically, So yeah, I actually find it slightly surprising, Only slightly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you know, it takes so much to like you have to be like kind of close, and if you're not close, then it takes a lot of resources to travel to one of these things, and I suppose people are like, maybe not they might they hear of packs, and they hear of games, colm, and they hear of these things. Maybe they actually don't even hear about the one that is happening down the street at like the next town over right. That that's it's easy for those polls come and go and not hear out them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whatever state you live in, or if you live in a big state like say California or Texas, there's probably something going on in your corner of your area or you know, country, if you're international or whatever, definitely get out too, because even some of those smaller gaming conventions are starting to get pretty good at being just a place to hang out, hang out in the free play areas, go to like some of the panels that gets. You know, even smaller ones sometimes get some pretty cool people in there, even if it's just like maybe your favorite YouTuber shows up to like, you know, like a Long Island retro gaming or something like that. Like, may check it out if it's within your means to do so, because going to a convention, you know, for me, obviously it's the big fighting game tournaments, which are now just inventions. That's where I like to hang out. I like to go to Combo Breaker, especially every year, and then Eva when I can get out there too. It's tough fun, yep.
Speaker 1: I mean there was that when I saw in New York City this past weekend where there were like a bunch of arcade games around older planes in a museum. That was really cool. That was cool, So matter a bunch of friends go there and people people go to like too many games in Philadelphia, I think. And then I got some local ones where it's like about retro game collecting things like that. All right, I got a new pool question we'll get to in a second before we do that, Sean, where can people find you on the internet and all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: At Turbo Shaw on underscore on Twitter dot com. Here a giant bomb for a whole variety of things that I'm you know, including stuff I'm still working on, still trucking away at that kind of video. Yeah, it's working. It takes a lot to get one of those out.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: And then in a little bit here, actually, Jeff, we gotta get ready for this. We got a stream of tomba special edition with some of the guys from limited run who worked on it.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna hang out and talk about the game a little bit. It's gonna be good'renna actually gonna get that going right after this, everybody, So stick around.
Speaker 2: So if you're watching a love just stick around.
Speaker 1: Stick around. If I go, go for about an hour or so. It's kind of place in tomba. Uh all right, new pool question, I have it right here. Do you want Nintendo to support dual screen gaming? On the switch to yes or no vote now we will talk about it on Game Best Mornings on Giant Bomb on Wednesday. Speaking a Giant Bomb, Tomorrow's BombCast Wednesday will not have a Blake Clubdikatana Daka Greba Greba Grubba is done. That is completely finished. Go watch that. There's some incredible moments up until the very end. Oh my god. But we will get a new season of Blake Club going with Mike here very soon. As a reminder, he's playing a game on the Wii. He doesn't know what it is yet. You'll have to tune in to find out alongside him. It's a lot of fun. But in the meantime we will find some other stuff to like, maybe fill in that and that slot. We have other things happening later this week, so stick around a giant bomb. We'll let you guys know exactly what the schedule looks like here pretty soon. All right, Sean, thank you so much for spinning today talking with me about video games. Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: It's a fun time. Man.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for watching and listening. You're the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.