Speaker 1: Hell, everybody to the facilities of the iHeartMedia megaplexis Dick Gabriel. This is the state wide edition of The Big Blue and Sider. You've heard comments from Mark Stoops as the Wildcats head down to Ole, Miss and tonight we'll chat with Aaron Gershawn. Billy Rutledge is back with us, and we'll hear from Jeff Pikoro a little bit later from the UK network. Be a part of the state wide BBI Border to Border. It is the Big Blue and Sider. Dick Gabriel, Aaron Gershaw, Billy Rutledge back in the saddle. Somehow we let him have the weekend off. I know you're delighted to be back.
Speaker 2: So glad to be back.
Speaker 1: Can I assume you had your ear piece in the whole time you were listening to all the fine programming that you usually have to run through that board.
Speaker 2: I actually, uh took a weekend off. I had to watch the game on tape delay the next.
Speaker 1: Head to watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I did.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: You know, it was fun for at least the first half, and then it kind of you know, Kentucky just kept putting the pedal to the metal.
Speaker 1: Turned into a beat down.
Speaker 2: You didn't need me for the Ohio game. You may need me this this Saturday.
Speaker 1: Well, if you had it anything to do with the way the game's played, yeah, that would be that would be fun. So yeah, Aaron and I were talking in a break about going back down to Oxford. Is this your second time or more second? Okay, So you were there two years ago, and that's a tough one to look back on because hey, that's when Will Levis was injured badly and needlessly. The old line was just But in the second half, I mean when they absolutely had to put on a drive and the deepense, which struggled in the first half, came alive. Everything turned around a halftime. Yes, and of course Levis makes a game probably would have been the game winning touchdown throw and there's a flag.
Speaker 4: Yep, Barry Brown wasn't saying Levis took a snap too early, too quick, little fifty to fifty blame. And also I think was a player or two before that, Jeremy flax So actually had an okay game at right tackle, went down and they had to put in David Wallaby, who, if you remember, he was actually the weak one starter at right tackle. That year, struggled mightily. They had to move Kenneth Thorsty out of position. It was a whole mess and walla Bag immediately gets beat and ends up a strips sack after the penalty and all miss scoops it up and recovers.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and in fact, then, as I recall, that was a controversial with like there was a helmet to helmet a little bit play.
Speaker 4: It was either it might have been that one. I think there are a couple of guests. It was just it was just a tough just the worst way possible to lose, especially because at that point in the season, Kentucky still was number seven in the country. They were still undefeated, you know, four and oh obviously they were only big win at that point it was Florida. But everything was in front of them to have a really special season. And you look back at twenty twenty two, if you get that win, man that that you could have had a very similar run to what you had in twenty one.
Speaker 1: Somebody covered the team or maybe it was a fan, I don't know, said this is one of the greatest in terms of atmosphere, one of the greats. Was awesome at the history and you know, of course the SEC pregame show was there. Yeah, and the Grove was.
Speaker 4: Over seven verse twelve, I think, yeah, the rankings and then yeah there were And that was in my time covering Kentucky. I mean, obviously I'm going to take Vanderbilt out of it, but probably the best road contingency on a non vandi Er Tennessee trip. I mean, there was so much Kentucky, how many Kentucky fans unbelievable, And it was partly because it's something new, right, I think before that had been since twenty ten. And I'm really curious to see how Kentucky goes to Texas. That a lot of that will depend on how the rest of the season goes.
Speaker 1: But then fans went to A and M.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fans went to A and M. I'm sure they will still go to Texas and the next year. I think I'm forgetting what I feel like there's a new road game in there next or Auburn. It's the one they haven't been to it in a while, so I.
Speaker 1: Haven't seen many Kentucky fans at Auburn. But the thing about the Mississippi schools is a lot of fans from Western Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Sure, Yeah, it's not far to get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so anyhow, it's a similar situation, and billion it's a jail break offense. And you know, the Kentucky defense, I think will all agree, has been the bright the brighter spot or the brightest spot when you look at special teams which have been good. Special teams have been good. But clearly defense is better than offense. But what a test it is.
Speaker 2: One The fans were shafted again getting the noon kickoff at Ole Miss. I just want to spend a little time at the grove, Dick. I mean, they just want to have the day at the best place to tailgate in the SEC.
Speaker 1: You're feeling bad for the Ole Miss fans.
Speaker 2: Oh no, for the Kentucky fans that go there once again making the treasure.
Speaker 1: That they have to leave when the game's over and they can go back to the grove.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're just still Dick and I and the rest of the beat We get to be done in bed to watch the Alabama Geordans too, and you too.
Speaker 2: But you know what, Ole Miss hadn't played anybody, Dick. It's hard to evaluate what they've done because Kentucky's already played two SEC schools and ole Miss is played to the School for the Blind. And while their offense looks great, you know, it's that up tempo type of style. Yep, it's probably going to cause Kentucky some fits. But I will say after the Georgia and the Ohio game, Kentucky's defense going to keep Kentucky in some games this year.
Speaker 1: And you know what, Kentucky's defense actually played better against South Carolina than you might recall, just two breakdowns. Yes, go back and look at that game. But yeah, you're right about Ole Miss. But again, it's the style of play, you know, And when does the last time Kentucky handled that style?
Speaker 4: Well, the first half the second half can Stole missed two years ago? But this is a much different Old Miss. I mean that was still Kentucky too, different Kentucky too, no doubt and more more town on Kentucky's defense though the secondary is probably max is really good. But they had Carrington and Keegri and they were a top ten secondary last year that year. This year, so far, so good, haven't you know? Georgia was a test, but Georgia was able to beat him deep on a couple of things. But look this Old Miss roster, the way Lane Kiffins built it through the portal. I mean they have two first team at all SEC guys at receiver, Juice Wells and I believe it's Trey Harris. Both are six to three and can run. They have an elite quarterback in Jackson Dart, they have an elite running back in Parish. I mean, there's just I get they haven't played anyone. You're totally right about that. They're not going to put up I don't think they're gonna put up fifty plus like they have to everybody else. But it's a tall, tall task, especially walking into their buildings.
Speaker 1: It's turned into a bit of a rivalry because of just the way these games have shaken out. Like we talked about the one that was ed ole Miss last year. How many years ago was it? Was it three years? Twenty twenty years where DJ Metcalf goes, oh twenty seventeen, the very last minute, last second, yes, over Lonnie Johnson. So there are two future NFL players on the last chance for ole Miss yep to make that touchdown catch and win the game. Then it was a hell of a game.
Speaker 4: And then twenty twenty went to overtime and Kentucky could have put it in second overtime and Matt Ruffalo missed the extra point and that was Lane Kiffin's first win at first win at all miss.
Speaker 1: Weird games, you know, so uh but again, like Stoop said, you just got to tune everything out and focus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mississippi fans should enjoy it now. I feel like Kiffin will leave for an LSU once they fire Brian Kelly or something like that. That guy loves to go to Florida, Go to Florida.
Speaker 1: He won't go to Florida first.
Speaker 2: That's a good question because that job could be opening up in weeks their days.
Speaker 4: They have a bye week this week, so it's probably safe until after their UCF game.
Speaker 2: But you know what, it's it's exciting to play the best teams in the country because you you can give tape for the NFL against the best of the best. So I think that motivates the best competitors on your team and you get a lot of times the best effort from your teams in those games. So, you know, seventeen and a half is a lot. Though, seventeen and a half is a lot?
Speaker 1: Wow, is it really?
Speaker 2: Especially over and under I'd have to double check for yeah, man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's how you look Ole Miss and there. That's what's what's different about Old Miss, especially this year compared to that game two years ago and three, yeah, fifty three, they've miss Ole Missus season low is forty so.
Speaker 1: But again, as Billy said, they played Yeah, no, but Kentucky has covered what three out of four? Billy? Is that right? I get? I've got to think too. They took that first game off the board.
Speaker 2: The Southern I won money on that.
Speaker 4: Oh I think they might avoided the over under on that, probably because it wasn't complete game, right, but Kentucky covering I did cash on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Georgia they covered, Ohio they cover? Yeah, so South Carolina point so much? Was that three straight weeks as a double digit favorite or dog for Kentucky?
Speaker 4: Yes, and four to five h interesting? But I think the big difference though with Ole Miss you were talking about. I forgot exactly what led me to think this, But the big difference from two years ago to now is they have a legitimate defense, Like Kentucky's offense is bad. Two years ago, that's why they were held to nineteen points. But this defense. Ole Miss has has great length that they haven't had in years past. They have an elite secondary which they haven't had in least years past, and they have a really good pass rush. I mean Walter Nolan, who Mark Stoop signaled out today. He doesn't usually signal out players that aren't either skill position on offense or quarterbacks. Walter Nolan's a guy that was the number one overall recruit I believe in either twenty two or twenty three. And they got out of the portal after Jimbo was fired at A and M. So they've got dudes at every single position, and they've multiple of them. They're offensive line. They actually rotate guys in and out because they have so many good ones.
Speaker 2: What a concept and well, yeah.
Speaker 1: If you can do it, if you've got the bodies to do it. I kind of think ole Miss is maybe overvalued as a favorite dating back to the South Carolina game. Maybe still, I think people might remember that one and think, boy, Kentucky's just not very good, ignoring what they did against Georgia, didn't score enough, but had played George is so well defensed CIVI Lee, I don't know if you pay attention to this and Aaron you probably do. But down in Athens and the media surrounding it, what's wrong with Georgia after the Kentucky that was the theme, what's wrong with Georgia? And then people perfunctially and you got to give Kentucky credit.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, I saw David Pollock, who obviously used to be on game day Georgia. Did I see a lot of good players on George's offense but not many great ones?
Speaker 1: That yeah, well, you know, what's a legit. But if you have a lot of great but if you have a lot of good players, you ought to be able, you know. But there's no Heisman Trophy winner except maybe Carson Beck.
Speaker 4: He'll be, yeah, in the top ten.
Speaker 2: I'd say, Well, the playing styles matchup between Kentucky and Georgia. What's the status Like the last three years or five years, Georgia's only scored less than twenty points on three true road games. They were all at Kentucky, So I mean that's kind of that showed me a lot that they could stay with that team. But they're also is that similar style? Yes, Ole Miss is just completely different, and you got to think that Kentucky's offense is going to have to keep up much more so than track meets.
Speaker 1: Calling for a track meet.
Speaker 2: Maybe by one team.
Speaker 4: I don't think we could. I don't hope we have enough confidence.
Speaker 1: I think if the other team gets out of the blocks early, you know, and an exito doesn't drop passes and things like that. But I'm really curious about the bush HAMDN game plan in this game. You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there been some head scratchers. Yeah, there have been, especially in short distance place, but uh, it's gonna.
Speaker 1: I will say this to me at the end of the first half, when the Kentucky screwed up that opportunity to score and Stoops wanted to send him out on third down and kicked himself for not doing that, and he said that to me coming off the field, He said, I know better. I've been around and I should have known better. But uh, I do not understand why Brock Vandergriff ran the ball. Was it on a second down?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't get that play call.
Speaker 1: I guess Stoops got into him a little bit coming off. I think that that might have been a checkdown or something. His decision and he's got to he's got to learn, he's got to know better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kentucky's often just they're not built for track meet and the thing that's been again haven't played anyone but Ole Miss. I think they're outscoring opponents like one hundred to seven in the first quarter. I think that's what it is. I'd have to go fact check that, but it's close to that. So if you fall behind with the Kentucky, as Mark Stops said, they're not built to win in predictable past situations, you're gonna lose this game by a lot. So it's gonna be really important to get off to a hot start on both days. Is I think game plan wise is also gonna be interesting. Now if Chip Trainum's really available, Yeah, I mean you and Jason Patterson's supposed to be back this week. You're four deep at running back. I mean it's gonna be very enticing not to play that ground control, keep away, keep away ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't want to track me.
Speaker 2: It's kind of bad timing because I want to see more Jamerian Wilkins.
Speaker 4: I was about to say, you can't take that kid off the field?
Speaker 1: Was why did that?
Speaker 4: Was my biggest gripe with the whole game plan on Saturday or not. How does that I only get eight carries in the game. You're up that big. Every time we touch the ball as an explosive run, what do we do? Give them the pall, give them the ball. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, though, that the number of plays ran was not what you think it might be. You're right about that, because they scored on defense. This is always kind of screwed.
Speaker 4: But there were there were times where they're driving the driver where I think he had a twenty one and twenty three back to back. I get he has to come off for a play to take a breather, but like.
Speaker 1: They also want to work on your passing game.
Speaker 4: Yes, really, but really early enough in the game where you haven't pulled away to where you can just and they did end up doing that. They ended up throwing the ball a lot when they were up big, which was smart, but like I was trying to.
Speaker 1: Do that simply because they hadn't had the opportunity to work as much on their passing game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just that's a guy that he's fun. He's fun to watch. It feels like a big run if it reminds me a lot of boom Williams the way he can get to the secon.
Speaker 2: And when a Kentucky quarterback gets injured this year, not if, but when Gavin wins, it is going to be ready to go in. I mean, I know it was Ohio, but he he had to have some throws I did not think he had in the back exactly right.
Speaker 1: And that's having seen him once in a scrimmage and then in the open practice. He clearly has a strong arm, but I was not impressed in either instance with his accuracy. But he threw some incredibly on target balls the other day. Now again against an Ohio you team, not against an SEC defense with but yeah, but still uh, he executed. So it's going to be it's gonna be interesting and to say the least, but I think Kentucky's going to have to execute on both sides of the ball at levels It really hasn't because, like you said, Georgia plays I don't want to say predictable, but a contemporary style of offense, you know, And you could see in the second half it was obvious that the Georgia offense, I know we're going back two weeks, but the Georgia offensive staff clearly either verbally or nonverbally said, we're putting the ball in the hands of Carson Beck. Yes, right, I mean, and he won that game for them. Ohio, you just didn't have enough to do that, so you knew that was coming. But man, don't miss. It's going to keep you off balance, you know.
Speaker 2: An you better make tackles an open space too, because there's receivers are going to be at the boundary and there's going to be a lot of open room for those guys to operate. If Georgia was a cloud of dust, this is going to be like spaced out like a tarmac at an airport.
Speaker 1: And speaking of Georgia, because I went back and watched the game again, their d backs tackle as well as any I've seen. They fly in the in the sec they did not miss a single tackle, not even that.
Speaker 4: And there were a couple of throws that brock Vandigruff made and dbs just came out of nowhere to break them up.
Speaker 1: I think there was one.
Speaker 4: I forget who the receiver was, but Humphrey number seven I believe came out of nowhere for a breakup.
Speaker 1: Yeah. DEMI got to the second level two or three times, Yep. But that was it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, never beyond no, and they were getting there. They were getting those five to eight yard runs. They just couldn't get that big that's fifteen plus.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, at the bottom of the hour, we'll have Jeff Pikora when us. He'll tell us exactly what Kentucky has to do. But when we come back, we'll talk more about the Cats and the Rebels. It's the statewide BBI Bengals with the early lad on Monday Night football, and that's on one channel. On another Buffalo already jumping out on Josh heinz Allen and the Jaguars. Welcome back to the statewide edition of the Big Bloon Sider Dick Gabriel are Geershawan Billy Rudgis. Of course we're talking about the Cats and the ReBs coming up in Oxford on Saturday. It has been a bizarre series so far, but this has been a Kentucky season. That's it's ups and downs, as we all know. Are they back on track there? Are they back on schedule? Not quite? I don't not. I don't think at this point. Back when I looked.
Speaker 4: Ahead, yeah I would I picked. I would have had them at three and one going oh Ray Davis is oh Ray Davis. I thought my mic was often no, no, Yeah, three and one is what I expected obviously two and two. But I would say defensively, yes, they're back on track. I mean they again. I think you're right. They played better than the stats would show against Carolina, but the breakdowns, it doesn't matter. Offense gave no chance. Georgia game defense was lights out, uh and last week there were lights out. So I think defensively they're on track where they need to be. The biggest test of the season though, coming up for everything Billy said in the first segment there, it's just a way different challenge. But offensively run game, I think they're exceeding expectations, but the past game they're falling short of the expectations we had for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and no passing touchdowns against Sohiwo could have easily been changed. Dang Key's hurdle was to the one and there were several times and he needed it because the passing attack has been lacking. Like you said, yes, and so it's it reminds me of Mark Stoops football. You know, the good defense in a strong run game. But it's been a lot of you know, fourth and long decisions, Should I punch? Should I not? Should I kick a field goal here? Should I not? And that time management? That are you going to play? The analytics side of football? I think is going to be something that looms over this team during one of these big games coming up.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I really believe that Mark Stoops will play by the book from here on. He won't let anybody talk him into anything after kicking himself. And I got to admit when the team started to run on the field on third down and I'm waiting in the end zone because I'm waiting to grab Stoops coming off the field, I'm thinking, what are they doing? But then come to find out that it did he lose track of the downs And come to find out, that's what Stoops wanted. He wanted them to kick it there and they just they just totally screwed that up.
Speaker 2: And I should have went with his gut, he said, I.
Speaker 1: Should have gone with his gut, and he basically called not so not even I mean his gut. In his mouth he spoke the words, go kick the field goal whatever they say, field goal you whatever, And all of a sudden, I see Stoops pulling him back. So that's why I thought that they had screwed up and run out a little too soon. But no, he wanted to kick that. And of course we all know, you know the decision with George, which I still think was the right call.
Speaker 4: It was against George again, the not to go back two weeks, but it was not running the ball in second eight and eight like drove me.
Speaker 2: But anyhow I would disagree, But that is I knew you.
Speaker 1: You would have set every clock in my house. I knew the risk.
Speaker 2: It no biscuit. It's the number one team in clever.
Speaker 1: It's a clever statement.
Speaker 4: But it'd be one thing if you have got him what.
Speaker 1: Got him there in a vacuum.
Speaker 2: I'm fine with the decision. He runs his team like an NFL program. That's what an NFL team would do. Play field position to the very better end.
Speaker 1: Because this college football.
Speaker 2: You're Kentucky and you have a chance to beat Georgia.
Speaker 4: You're gonna put.
Speaker 1: Because you had a better chance.
Speaker 2: But your defense hasn't played well in the second half.
Speaker 4: They did, they have a three and out the drive.
Speaker 2: Before, but you've allowed two long drives in your second half. And then even if you make everything goes right and you make the stops, then you have to go predictable pass down the entire length of the field with no timeouts.
Speaker 1: But you've got to go further.
Speaker 4: And I don't get that's either because they had the Kentucky after they put the ball, still had two minutes, two timeouts and the two minute warning. Right, So if they had done what they did on the very last drive, which was get a three and out or even only give up one first down, you have like a minute fifty five left to go down the field. That's not it's not thirty seconds. I just had no fa They just four fourth and eight killed them. Was not running on second and eight and setting up a certain short and then a fourth.
Speaker 1: And not only do they throw it on the second down, but that's play. That play just was dooming from.
Speaker 4: And then Georgia all game had two explosive pass plays. One was earlier, and then you gave up a sale at the worst possible time. You know what Jeff told us, man, you let a fumble for Eric Jackson just stared missed a fumble that was right next to him that he didn't even go for. What not to pick on.
Speaker 1: Jeff Corl told us, and I don't know if I couldn't if he was right or wrong, but that big pass pass play that burned him was either similar or the same kind of route that South Carolina beat him with twice. Yes, it was, so you know, they may have been holding that one in their hip pocket.
Speaker 2: It was a legacy game for Stoops. He'll be remembered as a conservative head coach. He's done a lot of great things. He's risen the Kentucky to heights they never thought they'd be. But they will remember conservative play calls like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, but again he is a conservative coach.
Speaker 1: That's what got him exactly right. But to me, that's what got him there. And I just don't believe in abandoning and taking a shot in a situation like fourth and three. Hell yes, of course.
Speaker 2: And he even said that. He even said, like, if we were prepared to go for it, if it was a shorter down, yeah, and it ended up because terrible playing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And uh, Jeff, Jeff and Tom and I were talking about that, you know, four down territory, but not at fourth and eight. All right, Jeff Corrol is gonna step in and educate us when it comes to Kentucky football. At least that's his promise. More to come and to stay wide Big Blue Insider, stay with us, Pike Hillo Paduca, it is the Big Blue Insider. Dick Gabriela, Aren Gershawn, Billy Rutledge joined Dow in our celebrity hodline by mister jeffiicoorl Or, the UK Sports Network color analyst, former wide receiver Jeff Row. Would you not have loved to play in the lane Kiffin offense? I got to think you would.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no exactly, he wouldn't. He wouldn't take me, but yeah, that'd be fun wide open.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if you're a receiver, tell me about the the not the burden, but the responsibilities of a receiver in a jail break offense like that of you know, obviously knowing the route trees and getting back to the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 3: I think the hardest part plane in that is the last thing you said. It's just getting back on side because they snap it so fast. I'm amazed that they have, you know, two hundred and eighty three pound guys that are you know, basically sprinting to the ball every play. That's the thing that's amazing. And if you're a wide receiver, you're running a fifteen or twenty yard route, let's say the ball still in the other way, and you have to kind of go over there to at least help out a little bit, and then you got to sprint back to your side of the line of scrimmage get lined up before the next snap. So it's it's it's really hard. You've got to stand in your toes when you're in there. Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if it's a long one, I got to think that they'll automatically sub form, don't yep?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah. When you go over an intermediate route, then you just head straight to the sidelines because you know, you watch them. They're five, six, seven, eight guys deep, you know whatever, you know at the White House. So you're you might only play two or three plays and then next guy's in and the next guy's in, and then you come back in. It's you know, it's it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Ole miss is a pretty fat, a fast offense, Jeff, not a fat offense, but a fast offense. Kirk Curve Street talked about in the Tennessee Oklahoma game about guys falling to the ground, faking injuries, trying to rest more during fast offenses. Did they do that back in your day? And how do we stop this?
Speaker 3: We didn't do that because they didn't snap, They didn't snap them that fast. No, Well, Nick Saban tried to get it stopped right, Dick, but they wouldn't listen to him. So, Billy, it's just something where it's almost like, I think you have to treat it like a flop in basketball, because you'll you'll hear coaches on the cell and say just get down, get down, and then one guy will fall on the ground and like grab his leg and you're like, it's not the spirit of the game. But then again, you only have four days to get ready for that team, you know.
Speaker 1: And he's back in two plays later, one hundred percent. But I will tell you, yes, two years ago, I can't remember, Jeff, if you were in on this call, but the SEC makes an official, the director officiating available for broadcasters and they said that was that was going to be a point of emphasis by officials, Jeff, just what you were talking about, faking injuries, and they were going to treat it just like you said, similar to a flop in basket. Was going to be a penalty situation. I don't know that I've seen it yet, but it's a good idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The only problem is, you know what if you think he swapped and then all of a sudden the guy really has a Ford miniscus or something, you know, that's the problem.
Speaker 1: That's true. Well, let us get back to the Kentucky ole Miss game coming up. We've been talking in the first twenty minutes or so, Jeff about all the really weird competitive game, but just the odd things that have happened, you know, last second touchdowns and overtimes and Kentucky scores a winning touchdown. Bud, Wait, there's a flag that kind of thing. It's it's become quite the I don't know if it's a rivalry, but but quite a series.
Speaker 3: I think that the coaches like playing against each other. I think that, you know, when you watch Georgia and Kentucky play. I think Kirby and Mark really like each other. I think they might be buddies, you know, off the field, and I think he and I think that Mark respects Lane because of his day, because of his dad. You know, his dad was an architect of so many defenses in the NFL, and you know the Soups family are you know, especially uh, you know, Mark or such defensive guys and they just love that. And I think that he has a respect for him. But I you know, it's it's interesting. It's almost like the should have coda thing that we said with Joe for years or with Florida for years. Kentucky really should have won the last two times they've played. You know, it could have won easily the last two times they played, just just the ball didn't fall their way.
Speaker 4: Jeff, how do you think Kentucky they've obviously played against these temple offenses between Ole Miss last couple of years in Tennessee every year, how do you think they go about simulating in practice? I know it's almost impossible to fully simulate. But what's the best way that you think about is to go about that.
Speaker 3: It's it's really hard to do because you can't you can't teach a scout team player or you can't really make a Scout team players sprint to the ball the way you can the starter And like Mark today, I think they'll do a lot of one on one stuff. What it basically is, it is just playing a two minute offense. The entire game is what they do. So you just try to have If I were a coach, I would try to have two minute some two minute drills three or four times of practice just to try to get you in that you know, listening, sprinting to your sprinting to your spot. I think brownie corners, if they're in the field, they're gonna have to play field. And if a boundary corner runs to the you know, to the field, he's gonna have to play field. If the strong safety is on the free safety side, he's gonna have to play free. You know, that's what you do because as a receiver in that offense, if you're on the right side and they call a right play, then you have to step off the line of scriwage. If you're if you're a flanker and you're on the other side and they call a right, then you have to be on the line because now you're a wide receiver instead of a flanker. To see what I'm saying, so you have to listen and you have to play both positions. And I think that's true for the defense, especially in the secondary, because you don't have time to get from one side of the field to the other before the ball snap.
Speaker 2: Jeff Is Brock Vandergriff more like Will Levis or Devin Leary.
Speaker 3: Will Levis because I think he's he's a tougher, he can run. Uh, he's not gun shy of running the ball. I'm not saying Leary was. That wasn't the way he plade. I think he's more of Will Lewis type in college.
Speaker 1: In college, did you did you have a chance to watch my beloved Packers make Will Levis miserable yesterday?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And you know what, you know, what's the sorry part of all this is, guys, is I'm seeing the same thing that happened to Tim Kausch happened to Will left sir. You know, Jim got to Cleveland, he had no line. Yep, he had a guy in Debtmer in front of him. Let Debtmer play because you're just the four kid got killed. And that's the same thing. Now that's happening to Will. And now then he tries to do too much. Yeah, then he tries to do too much and makes a mistake.
Speaker 1: Can you do that? I mean, you covered the Bengals for quite a while, Can you do that anymore? With the money that teams now are paying quarterbacks because it's all about investments and you know, putting fannies in the seeds and all that stuff. And uh, you know you were called. You know, speaking of the Bengals, remember when God Carson Palmer was drafted and they basically red shirted him, didn't They They played They played John Kittna and just let let him learn and kidd actually led him to a five hundred record and was lobbying to be the starter of the next year. They're like, no, no, thank you, move along. But that helped preserve and it wouldn't if it weren't for the fact that somebody fell on his knee in a playoff game. That guy, I think would have had a great career for the Bengals. But you can't do that in the NFL anymore, can You just can't do it?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, but Dick, you know, Jordan loves that behind Rogers, you know he learned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he wasn't a top ten draft pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they weren't money.
Speaker 1: They didn't pay him back then. They didn't pay him fifty million dollars like they did now.
Speaker 3: All right, but look at the money that Carolina has wasted. Oh, I mean when when they picked him, I said, there's no way this guy is going to be Bryce Young number one pick. Yeah I did. I didn't think he was a number one did terrible just because he was so slight, little time to understand. You know, I could barely be a water boy now for a college team.
Speaker 1: And it's hard though to blame the Panther's line because they put up thirty three with Andy Dalton on a good against a decent team yesterday. So but you're right, I was never in great college player, but if given a choice that would have taken.
Speaker 2: Blamed the owner for that pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, pretty.
Speaker 4: Much scribes already a top ten quarterback in this league.
Speaker 1: Anyway, getting back to Kentucky and Ole Miss, we were also talking Jeff about two years ago, uh down there in Oxford and now Kentucky was able to rise above a terrible first half by the offense, so so by the defense. Will Levis gets injured and they basically win the second half until that flag and then the fumble, and which, as you pointed out, wasn't it on the Levis fumble that there was helmet to helmet like a pretty blatant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought so. But the other thing was too uh uh Jeremy Flax gets hurt, had to come out of the game. And one play was the sack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the swinging gate. Yeah yeah, just uh yep. My point is it's not impossible to go down there get a feel for I think what happened was Kentucky finally got a feel for the way that game was being played. They stayed close enough. But I think this Ole Miss team may be better than that one.
Speaker 3: You know, this Ole Miss team is really good. I mean, Laye has has done just an unbelievable job, you know of the transfer portal. But one thing I wanted to ask you guys, because you guys might know better than me. But Oxford's not a big city. So where are they getting all of their money?
Speaker 1: Well, it's an old traditional school. Uh, it's all about alumni. Yeah, man, no, it's it's about alumni and and old Miss alums go way back and Ole Miss back in the day Jeff row was was an SEC power.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, but they have. What I was getting at is, you know, they they've got they're doing something right in that portal because they are buying some great players coming in there. But you know, get back to your point, can they play with them? I think that the defense for Kentucky's is good, if not better. I think that Kentucky's gonna have to play deeper in the secondary, keep everything in front of them, and you know, just try not to give up the big plays because the chunk plays is what Ole Miss lives on. And they've got a great quarterback in dart to do that.
Speaker 4: Jeff, if Chip train them does play Saturday, and how would you distribute what Kentucky does it running back, especially given we were complaining about it at least I was in the first segment that Jamary and Wilcox should have got more than Nate touches Saturday. I know they didn't run as many play as they wanted to, but how would you go about implementing him back in here in such a big game.
Speaker 3: But you know, we haven't seen what he could. If I remember correctly two years ago, it was the first game. This is correct, so it's the same the same thing, you know. I think if Chip is a starter, that he's going to get the bulk of the carries and Demi goes back to that Swiss Army knife role and Jamrian gets what he gets. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to say it, but would you start chip train him? I wouldn't, not right away.
Speaker 3: It depends on if he's completely healthy, which I don't think he's going to be one hundred percent by time.
Speaker 1: It's like Steve said today, you know, it depends a lot on how strong his injured hand is. Can he grip the football right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? The biggest thing is can he You know, it's his left hand, so it's not as it's not his primary ball carrying hand, but if you go to the left side, you've got to carry it in the left hand. So can he keep it secure in there without it without somebody knocking it out? That's that's the question. And is he going to play with some kind of a calf That's the other question.
Speaker 2: Jeff Lane Kiffin is an interesting character. I feel like he's resurrected the opinion of him in college football recently. What is it that he does that's so different than every other guy that wants to have an uptempo offense in college football?
Speaker 3: I think that he stands behind his players, unlike Hugh Freeze. He doesn't throw him under a bush. Yeah, he he speaks his mind. I think he's true to the players. Look, the players want to play for a winner, and they know that this guy. Everywhere he's been, he's he's pretty much won. You know, his family tree. I think he's he learned a lot. I think he got a dose of humility when he when he was an assistant at Alabama. I think he learned a lot there, you know. I just I think that's that's the difference.
Speaker 1: Personality.
Speaker 3: He's a good coach. Yeah, he's got a great personality, great personality.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and I do think that conversely, players like playing for Stoops because you and I have talked to a lot of guys, and I'm sure these two gentlemen in the studio have as well on media day and whenever, and they talk about how they they feel like Stoops has their back, you know, and and there are coaches out there that players can't trust. And then you know, Rich Brooks came through and guys like to call him my second Pat Paul, so you know, they don't have to be a slick, you know, huckster as they say. But whatever he's doing, it's working. We were talking before you joined us about where's Lane Kiving going to be next year? What are the odds Jeff, that he'll be in Oxford as opposed to another higher profile.
Speaker 3: I think it depends on they make the twelve. Look here, here's the thing. He's been at some pretty big places. I get the feeling he likes it there at ole Miss. He's got the alumni behind him, he's got a big bucket. And then I l I mean, what what? And he's and he's winning. Yeah, he went from what seven wins to eleven wins and this year he's four And oh, I mean what what's the thing that Ole Miss isn't a great place to live? You know? Looks, would you rather live in Los Angeles and make you know, five or six million dollars? Or would you rather have an Oxtforvissippi make five or six million dollars?
Speaker 1: Well? Am i am? I married? With two young children? Am I single? I mean there's a lot that goes into.
Speaker 4: He also left Bok or a tone though he didn't make as much money, that's true.
Speaker 3: Well, going to the final yeah, but he's not going to the final twelve with those guys either.
Speaker 4: No, Oh my turn, Oh my bad, Jeff? How I asked Mark stoops Is today. But in your eyes, how have you seen Jansen Dunn, DJ Waller, those cornerbacks and not named Max Harrison Maxwell Harrison play because uh, you know they're gonna need more than Maxwell Harrison to slow down this whole Miss wide receiver corps.
Speaker 3: You know, they've been okay. I think that Gunn has played a little bit more than Waller especially. You know the problem with Waller is he was banged up for so much his summer camp. He didn't you know, he didn't get any snaps. So until the very end is when he finally started playing, and you know, he's just basically rounded in the shape I would say. But Jake Hugh's done better, a lot better than I thought he would. He stuck his nose in there and done fine. He's he's he's good in coverage. Yeah, It's just it's gonna be interesting this week because of the size and speed of these receivers. That's what I think is gonna be the key. And like you said, Maxwell, Maxwell, but you got to have the other side too, So it's gonna be real interesting to see how they how they can stand up because it's it's not just one or two guys either they've got a really good receiving course, one right after the other man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, two first team. All you see you guys leading it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jeff, we're staying in Tupelow, in Elvis's hometown. And uh, I still have a picture somewhere of you posing in front of that statue as though you were Elvis.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: There was that was was two below where we went. That served the wild game kind of you know. Yeah, and then Keith Farmer ordered bananas foster, so we had that open flame right by our table. But yeah, you could get quail and duck and snakes. That okay, Well then that was it. We need to go back to that place.
Speaker 3: I think we've already got the reservation excellent.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to remember if it was Oxford or somewhere else. Remember we had a we had a fish house recommended to us the locals where the locals date and they were it was the best place for seafood. And we we go there and it's a cinder block cube of a building, remember that, And we sat on old church pews and it was the best seafood restaurant. We eat that in years.
Speaker 3: So I like Mike Anderson's.
Speaker 1: You can't go wrong with Mike Anderson's. That's right, Jeff. He'll be alongside Tom Leaves with a son hitting him square in the face in that booth. Sun glass exactly and sunscreen too. Uh, but they'll be calling the action when the Wildcats take on the ReBs. Thank you, sir, and go back to watching your Bengals. All right, seven to seven the Bengals and the Commanders. It's not the blowout a lot of us thought it might be. But the Buffalo Jacksonville game that is so anyhow, keeping an eye on I didn't see what Ray Davis did, but Damar Hamlin got himself a pick, and now uh, Lawrence has thrown. You get another pick. So if you've got him in your fantasy league, you're hurting. We'll come back and wrap up this edition of the state wide BBI final segment of the state wide edition of The Big Blue Sider. You'll hear Kentucky, Ole Miss and most of these same stations. I would think every one of these stations on Saturday, Tom Leach, Jeff Pigory ors truly, course, Christy and Logan and Jeremy I do not believe will be in Oxford. Sometimes they travel, sometimes they don't. But it's not a bad place to see a football game. We've talked about the atmosphere, but it's not as overwhelming. It's not as big as Tennessee or A and M are one of those. Yeh. But they have fun. They enjoy their football well.
Speaker 4: I saw last week, which is really impressive given the opponent. I think Georgia Southern, they had the largest crowd in their program's history.
Speaker 1: They missed it, missed it bigger than the Kentucky game two years Yeah, the lady it emptied out. No, no, they it emptied out as you would. Oh yeah, but they're pumped about this. I love Lane Kiffin. He was talking after the game, like, you.
Speaker 4: Want to build a product that people want to come wash and when they are a fun style of football. So I think they're going to shatter that record again this weekend, and it's gonna be a tough atmosphere. It's very similar in size to Crogerfield, if not might be even a little smaller.
Speaker 1: What did you think of the crowd at Kroger Field this past week, Ohio, Yes.
Speaker 4: I thought it actually filled in like late in the first quarter. Pretty nicely and spread out the second half. Yeah, definitely. It was hot as a hell there for a bad opponent. So yeah, not you know what I mean, but uh, you know, not bad. The Georgia and was excellent. South Carolina game was excellent, and I'm sure if they put together a quality performance they'll have a strong one for Vanderbilt.
Speaker 1: Ye, it's it's it's a fun product. I think Kentucky puts on the field, but not nearly as much of a circus as own Miss.
Speaker 2: Right, And I think maybe some in Big Blue Nation had checked out a little bit after the South Carolina game sold some season tickets, and them sticking with Georgia maybe made a couple of people regret that decision.
Speaker 1: You know what we haven't talked about enough probably tonight is Jackson Dart. We've mentioned him, but the quarterback for All Miss. They got to make him uncomfortable. They can't let him sit back there, and his coaches love to say pat the football or you know, just drop back and get rid of it as quickly as he'd like. You know, they got to somehow Dean Walker's got to get big, and he he was his back was bothering him this past week. We saw him working. Anybody who saw the Kentucky sideline saw them working on him. So he's got to be huge, but so does everybody around him.
Speaker 2: Maxwell Harriston, maybe another pick six, we'd appreciate that, maxwells.
Speaker 1: You know, it's the corners on the other side of the field that.
Speaker 4: Really need We're going to know earlier how this game is going to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to mine that. All their receivers are taller than Maxwell here. But he's a smart player and he that against Ohio. Thanks so much, Aaron, to Billy, to Jeppecorrel, thanks to you for joining us. Be there when the Wildcats take on the right here. That's it. Good night from Lexington.