Speaker 1: Well, normally I say no hits, de tracks, deep tracks.
Speaker 2: Only we follow the law of Andy Bernard.
Speaker 1: On the program today, Chris Camraaddie Live in studio, did you request the biggest of hits from the greatest jam band of all time?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Porter asked what I was in the mood for today, and I said I wasn't in the mood for anything. So he reverted to the mean. And the mean is is Dave. And sometimes there are hits and sometimes you just have to go with it.
Speaker 1: Wait a second, you Porter a hit. You produced this show every day. You're familiar with the by laws of the drive.
Speaker 4: I know it was very last second, as I was situating cameras and such, I came in here and we had one commercial but playing, so I just had to act quick.
Speaker 2: Now it's all good man, it's Dave Matthews.
Speaker 1: I will I will admit to you know, back in the day you caught the Office live, it wasn't you know something that.
Speaker 2: You could watch on every Thursday? Every Thursday? And the Andy Bernard Uh, he was skating right, he was at like a class back. Yeah, he was on Rollerskate when he dropped the whole d MB. No hits.
Speaker 1: Oh I l O L c K I L O L because it was perfect. Because you have to understand, I grew up with a lot of kids just like Andy Bernard. He is a perfect character for a lot of.
Speaker 2: The kids Ivy League, like.
Speaker 1: A sailor, not a lot of self awareness, not near as smart as he thinks he is. Brags about the school he went to even though he was a legacy, you know, the whole Cornell bit, but when he dropped the whole like Dave Matthews band, no hits deep tracks, because that's what most day fans would say, like, Oh, you don't know, you don't really know Dave. Oh what do you think? Crash is the best song? Best Dave album? Have I asked you this before? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, under the Table, see it's before these crowded streets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's what day fans would tell you, because Under the Table is too bainstream, is it?
Speaker 2: It's BTCS, that's what we could say. It's after he sold out, it is it is God bless him.
Speaker 3: Going going back to our theme of last week of nineties music, selling out is no longer a thing. Back in the nineties, you were like the Nirvana's Pearl Jams, Like, I don't know Pearl Jam all that well, but I feel like they were kind of the poster child of what selling out was like, wasn't didn't what's his face? Eddie Vedergan like mad because like some people thought one of his albums were too was to mainstream, so he got pouty about it.
Speaker 2: We just don't do that anymore. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think ultimately selling out just means you're making money for your music. Now, I'll tell you what though, I do feel like so Porter is a country music fan, yeah, and he refuses to listen to any country music artists who actually sells records. So I do think there's the sellout style on the countries, like Zach Bryan's sellout right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, we talked about this.
Speaker 3: My wife loves Zach Bryan, and anytime I send Porter like a John Prime song, He's like, Okay, now, this is this is what I'm talking about, right.
Speaker 2: Like there's sellout in country music these days, Right.
Speaker 4: There's definitely like a fine line between radio country. What I would say is, yeah, it's it's like independent labels and that that's I mean, that is a genre that is kind of done it. But if you're trying to make pop music or trying to make hip hop music, I don't really think you have that option as much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Porter constantly says, I listened to non radio country, right, so there's that, you know, the hipster country people now starting to manifest themselves this country how to sell out. That's okay because I came in one day. I'm like, dude, guess what I'm listening to some country man. I listened to Zach Bryan and Porter's like shaking said out, this is not it.
Speaker 2: Do you ever listen to Zach Brian? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I kind of reached my apex on Zach Bryan at the moment, but she is still riding that wave. So I just kind of have to tune out and do the listening to seagulls in my head and just tune it out.
Speaker 1: There you go, Chris Comrodnie live in studio, c K Happy Ones and man, how you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing well? How are you? I'm good?
Speaker 1: I got a little voice thing, yeah, or we're working through it and take a little time off. I know you can. That's why you're here. In fact, you want to just carry the hour, do you want to interview you.
Speaker 2: I saw what the rundown is.
Speaker 1: It's me your guy, Bob's good vibes and coach Way and coach Way.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So we got a heavy hitter line of Chris Camaraddi, Pablo Mascoonni Kylewood.
Speaker 3: I've always been kind of a leadoff hitter. Have you know, like a squid down the third baseline, beat it out and just do make havoc on the basis.
Speaker 2: Can you lay down a bunt? I can? Okay, that's all that matters. So c k badding lead off? Do you think? And I'm gonna ask Kyle this.
Speaker 1: Oklahoma became I think the fourteenth major college football program to announce that they're not doing away with their spring game. They're just gonna do something different. I think it's gonna look a lot like a pro day. They're gonna do some drills or whatever. But sc Nebraska, a lot of Florida State, a lot of big time college football programs have simply canceled their spring games.
Speaker 2: Roster.
Speaker 1: The roster number has been reduced to one oh five. When you play your first game, you can only have one hundred and five players on your roster. And I know that sounds like a lot, but that's down about twenty three to twenty four players. And if you make the playoffs, if you win your conference and you make the playoffs, that's seventeen or eighteen football games, and you cannot add players during the season. Maybe at some point they'll find a mechanism for that. So I get it. If you're canceling your spring game as a result of the powers that be telling you have to cut your roster. Do you think this is something that's going to be commonplace in college football?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it could be, but I think at a place like Utah, you won't see it happen because of the Ty Jordan Aaron Low effects. I mean, I think the proceeds from that game go directly into the scholarship fund or something along those lines, if my mind serves me correctly. So I think Utah is a special circumstance. I think Kyle is a old school throwback kind of guy and wants to be able to see these guys play each other live. And I understand that even in recent years, you've held out the ones for the most part, and that makes sense. But I think the fact that they made their spring game something that means more than just a typical spring game. I think Utah will probably ride it out until their head coach decides they don't want to do it anymore.
Speaker 2: I don't see that happening under Kyle, But.
Speaker 3: I mean I don't think like a pseudo pro day like flag football, kind of like a Pro Bowl style of an event. Isn't that bad of an idea because you simultaneously will be in theory entertaining your fans with a product that's supposed to be fun and engaging, and for head coaches who are all very paranoid, you wouldn't even necessarily need to tip your hand either. Well, who's on what side of the ball you could have, you know, your your center as the quarterback out there having fun. I'm just saying that, like I think eventually you could see the trend go in that direction.
Speaker 1: You know, it's actually to kind of stay in the space now that I'm thinking about it and what you just said as far as how you could cater it to just being more of a celebration of your program. Have the quarterbacks all compete against each other for throwing the ball through the tire or the target or whatever. Do kind of like a Pro Bowl type skill event challenge, because ultimately, as a head coach you do not want to lose any of your players, and as a fan, you're not learning anything anyway. It's just an excuse what some fans think they are even when they're.
Speaker 2: Not breaking news.
Speaker 1: You're not okay, it's just an excuse to call family on three and say, let's head up to Rise Cycles in all of our uteness. Yep, right, let's throw up the you okay, let's do the thing. But the game itself for me hasn't been interesting in I don't know a decade or more right as far as like, are we learning something about the schematics or the personnel?
Speaker 2: Oh? Correct?
Speaker 3: I think I can't remember what the setup was like in twenty seventeen eighteen when it was like Tyler Huntley versus Troy Williams, good pull out. I mean I was on the beat back then, so like maybe that was one time where maybe it was worth it. But I agree, I just think like eventually you can see this whole thing be done away for a multitude of reasons. But I do think there is a way to if you want to simultaneously engage your fan base and make money off that.
Speaker 2: There is a way to do it.
Speaker 1: So we had a Rick Neuheisl on the show about a month ago, and I was with Rick up at this event that I am seed and I didn't know this.
Speaker 2: Rick was a walk on.
Speaker 1: He walked on at UCLA, eventually became their starting quarterback and was very good.
Speaker 2: Played some minor league football, never played in the NFL.
Speaker 1: And when we were talking about the new roster limits, because essentially, Ck, this is eliminating walk ons, like there will be no more walk ons, and the good news is there will be enough scholarships to carry through one oh five, Like you will have a scholarship if you want a college football team. Now, does eliminating the walk ons do anything to you?
Speaker 2: Who does that say anything to you?
Speaker 1: Because new Heisl's whole thing was like I was a walk on and I earned the starting job within two years, and we've seen a lot of walk ons earn jobs and you know, eventually earned scholarships.
Speaker 2: Doing away with walk ons in college football does that do anything?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: I mean in this market, you could make an argument of it because you've seen so many guys be successful both at you know, byu and Utah. But in order to keep up with the Joneses, I think eventually you're just gonna have to maximize your resources in NIL and just focus on that. And I know that's a total bummer, and I know it's a defeatist attitude, but if you are left in the dust, I don't see you crawling your way out of the dust. And the idea of walk ons the you know, the Rudy story. You know, it's what everybody fell in love with when it came to like the the undersized underdog and football making a name for himself. But unfortunately, I think we're in an era of sports where it's like if you have if you can't help the team immediately, you kind of are forgott.
Speaker 1: I wonder so the ACC Florida Stanton Clemson, they ended the litigation on Tuesday and they've agreed to a settlement. The change of the league's revenue distribution model significantly reduces exit penalties, which ultimately is where this is going for members wanting to leave the conference before twenty thirty six. But Florida Stateton Clemson are now going to be receiving a much larger piece of the pie. Do you think the Big Twelve looks at this at all, and if they do look at it, who are the schools that actually will receive a bigger chunk?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's personally it makes sense.
Speaker 3: I don't know how fair it is, but if you are the Big twelve, it might make sense to deploy something like this. But you can deploy it with a outline saying that, like it could be from a year to year basis, like a what have you done for me lately? You can measure the success of you know, the money generating sports, you know, football and basketball teams, and then you could even go down the line. I mean, there's that cup or something that Stanford or Cal always win from having the most success varsity sports. You could you could employ that kind of model to say, like who's been the most successful And obviously you're gonna lean it and teer it with the money making sports at the top. But the Big twelve is so wonky. So it's like who stands out right now? I mean I don't think there's anybody. I mean, PYU would probably be one of the stands out. If you standouts, if you talk about like who's currently the most successful program?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does feel like everybody is just maximizing their own brand right in their own kind of piece of real estate. And if you look at essentially what the numbers say concerning the Big Twelve, it's Colorado who could just say, look, we're tripling you every week three times the amount of eyes are on us, then it is on you. And that's everybody, right, That includes Utah, that includes BYU, that includes Kansas State or Oklahoma State. It probably if there's anybody that has an ace in there, and it's probably Dion right just because of the eyes for sure.
Speaker 3: And I wonder if I think people will still watch Colorado this year, but I wonder if there's going to be a drop off without Travis Hunter. Yeah, without Shad or Sanders, especially Travis. I think people were tuning in to see what this kid could do. And who knows, maybe Colorado's going to be better all around football team this year, but there is a world in which Colorado could be better on the field and maybe get less eyeballs because they don't have as much top tier star talent.
Speaker 1: We did the exercise as far as the schools that probably have a little bit of leverage, and I did say at the time, I still think Utah's in that category. It just comes on the heels of a bad season. And we are in a growing media market. We've jumped in the Nielsen ratings, you know, over the past three or four years into the top twenty seven to twenty eight I think, and with hockey here and as the you know, the market kind of continues to grow if we can get if the Millers pull off baseball. I've seen some people pontificating on the possibility of us being like a top fifteen or sixteen market.
Speaker 2: Only time will tell.
Speaker 1: But is Utah a school like they don't have the eyes Colorado has. Colorado doesn't have the recent run of success with Pac twelve championships and Rose Bowls.
Speaker 2: And yes, I'm.
Speaker 1: Asking you off the heels of a season where it didn't look great. But does Utah have a case to be made if the Big twelve moves into this model, could Utah be one of the top shelf teams to ask for a bigger piece?
Speaker 3: They have to have a tremendous amount of success at the money making sports which they have. Women's basketball is you know, impressive, I mean, gymnastics, is ski teams I mean, the Red Rocks make a lot of money at this school compared to some of the other schools in the country and in the conference. But you I just don't think you're ever going to be able to compete with Dion As long as he's in the conference. I just think he is the great equalizer. And no matter who's on that team, I think you will get eyeballs, you will get people wanting to be to pay attention to what's going on there. So I do think if Utah wants to be one of those teams, they need to get back to where they were at the tail into their Pack twelve era.
Speaker 1: The BYU topic here is always fascinating because obviously Provo is not a media market that moves the needle at all, but BYU is a brand where everywhere they go they attract home fans basketball and football. In ames, Iowa last night, Kevin Young opened up BYU shoot around prior to the game to any BYU fan that wanted to come meet the players, and from what I saw on television, it looked like there were hundreds of people there to meet BYU players, So not just football basketball. BYU I think was fourth in the Big twelve in ises per game. But the BYU brand is worldwide and it is undeniable.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's not Notre Dame, even though you know some people want to compare the two. But is BYU just as a brand enough of a negotiating card for whoever's their ad to come to the table in this hypothetical to say we deserve to be among the top shelf teams as well?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, because if you look at what happened even after they went independent, ESPN was like, we're going to partner with these guys, man, because we know that people are going to watch these games, even if they're at eight forty five pm local on a Saturday night. BYU is one of the most unique fan bases in schools in the country for that reason. And if BYU's good and if they can sustain this, I think they're absolutely in the mix.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this.
Speaker 1: If you're Brett your Mark and you're looking at the schools, the schools come to you and say we want the ACC model. We want our bigger brands to get a bigger piece of the pie, because that's the way capitalism works.
Speaker 2: Shout out Elon, I'm going out of town.
Speaker 1: Today, Man, I feel like misbehaving. Arizona or Arizona State. Who do you think is right? Like, that's kind of an odd one. Arizona State just want the conference. Arizona basketball is a massive brand.
Speaker 2: Football will always be king. So you think Arizona State right now? Yeah? Okay, yeah, I don't. I mean, is Arizona the best team in the Big twelve right now? Basketball? It's Houston? So yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, like I think Arizona would have to be like a Duke or North Carolina level program again, especially in this conference, in order for them to be able to swing their weight.
Speaker 1: Houston's kind of an interesting one only because of the market size. Dallas is like the number six market. I don't know where Houston is.
Speaker 3: Football is a non starter there. I mean, maybe Willie Fritz turns it around.
Speaker 1: But like so so yes football as of now, But if if, if coach Fritz can get them into the top five or six their basketball team. I know you don't watch a ton of college basketball. Oh, it's like unfair. When Utah went and played them earlier this year, they the Youuthes couldn't even get a shot off. At one point, I think Uta had three made field goals and eight turnovers ox and one triangle and two at that four passes, Geene Hackman, Rest in Peace. Have you ever seen Hoosiers?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you don't like it? Oh wait wait hot, wait wait wait wait wait wait.
Speaker 1: I remember I was at dinner with you and John Paul and you both said Hoosiers and Field of Dreams overrated, and you broke my heart.
Speaker 2: Best best basketball movie ever? I know? Are you ready? What fast break? Blue Chips? Blue Chips is an excellent movie. It is. I will allow that.
Speaker 3: I rewatched it recently, and it is insane the amount of press, prescienceness or whatever, how prescient that movie was considering where we are now off the charts.
Speaker 1: Trey would be proud of you from using prescients because he saw I am convinced that Trey has a word of the day pop up on some app and then he just tries to use it in converse. He loved Pressian is one of Trey's favorite favorite words. So yes, rest in peace, Gene Hackman. Hoosiers is a good movie, dude, It's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 3: It It plays to a very specific audience of people.
Speaker 2: Let's just say that whites, I didn't say it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, hey, it's been it's been a pretty good year for the whites on the sports side of the shooters.
Speaker 2: That's who it plays to.
Speaker 1: Mainly whites shooter shoot shooters who don't really donk or do much. Four passes before you shoot. H Anyway, best Reporter, Best basketball movie of all time?
Speaker 2: What do you got? I can tell you what it's not. It's not Coach Carter.
Speaker 4: What's the ray Allen one?
Speaker 2: Oh? He game is very good, very good.
Speaker 4: I don't know that it's the best, but it's my favorite.
Speaker 3: He got games probably one B for me, but rewatching Blue Chips. Nick Nolty, the kids don't know man. Once upon a time Nick would bring the heat, and he did in that movie. His Bob Knight impersonation is amazing. And side note, I recently came across a clip of Bobby Hurley on one of those barstool bro talk shows and he was talking about he was in Blue Chips because it was it was a Colbert Cheney Indiana team with Bobby, and he talked about how he talked about how Bobby Knight refused to follow any sort of script. He coached those scenes just like how he would in real life, and it was amazing.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. I'll have to go back and rewatch that air Bud not bad. Finding Forrester was horrible. Never saw Sean Connery is the coach.
Speaker 2: Some people will say white men can't jump.
Speaker 1: I love the white but I actually enjoyed Finding Forrester until the end when Sean Connery dramatically turns around to the young man he's coaching and he goes, you' all the men now dog Like that sucks. I was so angry that porter you all the men, no dog? It just it irritated me. Anyway, best basketball movie of all time. I still think it's.
Speaker 2: Hoosier's Powerpool Wednesday. What did it used to be? It was Powerpool Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Wednesdays on the Bill and Spence Show were a very special day.
Speaker 2: I do or not? Oh, okay or not? The answer is blue chips, blue chips hot, Yeah, Hoosiers not. I mean it's not not hot. I mean.
Speaker 3: Rewatched Royal Tenenbaums again recently in the wake of Gene Hackman's passing. Not a sports movie, but one of the best performances in a movie ever just holds up so amazingly and I'll give you one. Gene Hackman as the football coach in the Replacements. Absolutely very underrated.
Speaker 2: Blue Chips forty rotten tomatoes. Dude, are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Nobody talks about the fact that they got Shaquille O'Neal and Penny Hardaway to act in that movie, and like that is right as they're starting to peak in Orlando too.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Here's a hot take semi Pro Will Ferrell's most underrated role, most underrated movie.
Speaker 2: I've never seen it. You've got to watch Semi Pro. Okay, whatdy? Harrelson's great in it.
Speaker 1: I have a list in front of me the top fifty eight basketball movies of all time. And they don't think hilia Blue Chips. They don't think highly a semi Pro. So I'm surprised you haven't seen Semi Pro. I think you'd like that movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. It slipped through the crack. The hell were we talking about? You have to see that movie? Of course, c K derailed us. How did we get here? You were talking about something? Yeah? Do you remember where were we for? Producer of this radio? Get us back on track.
Speaker 4: I think Chris brought up the weave something.
Speaker 3: Oh, you brought up Hoosiers and then I said, you were talking about how good Houston basket?
Speaker 2: There it is by you are bye. Parenthood might have fried my brain, but not that bad.
Speaker 1: This is called a man stone his thirties that has good habits. He's able to go He's able to go back and grab the piece of the conversation. No, the only reason I brought up Houston is that is a rather large market and their basketball program is awesome.
Speaker 2: But as we said, football is everything right now.
Speaker 1: So just the exercise of if the ACC has created a model to hang on to their top teams, will the Big twelve do the same, Because everybody wants to be in the Big ten SEC party. Everybody wants to sit at that lunch table because they're clearly again New Orleans two weeks ago. They don't even apologize for it, like, hey, we're having meetings, but it's just us.
Speaker 2: Sorry, wait, I thought it was P four. Cool. You guys hang out.
Speaker 1: The SEC in the Big ten are gonna meet and then we're gonna tell you how things are gonna go. ACC's responses, We have to hang on at Clemson, Florida State. What do we do Okay, now we have a new model to make sure that if they leave, it's not as punitive, because at one point they were going to be paying like seven hundred million dollars to leave the conference. Yeah, now that's down to like one thirty and then it goes down incrementally up until twenty thirty two. So I just wonder if the Big twelve is looking at this model, if they're saying, wait, we need to hang on to the Colorado's, the Utahs, the Byus.
Speaker 2: I honestly don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't think historically historically with Florida State, and I guess recently too, despite last year's debacle of a season, and Clemson, like, these are two programs that carry way entern money for you. I don't think there are any programs in the Big twelve right now that are on the same level.
Speaker 1: The number one movie on this list, You're still on it. No, No, I can do two things at once. I don't disagree with you. I'm just wondering if your Brett, your Mark, are you worried about losing the top you know, your big, big time programs the number one list. The movie on this list is something called the First slam Dunk. Have you ever heard of this?
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 1: Number two is Hoop Dreams, which is a documentary though okay that's fair, but which I agree is Hoop Dreams was the first documentary that I ever remember watching, and I watched it in school and I was like, this is pretty heavy.
Speaker 2: It was watching school. I thought it was awesome.
Speaker 1: Interviewed Arthur ag a couple of years ago, randomly followed me on Twitter. I'm like, dude, will you come on my radio because I've watched that probably two hundred times.
Speaker 2: I thought it was so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have Adam Sandler's hustle at for this list sucks?
Speaker 2: Who's your your guy? Jazz legend? Shout out? Who's yours is? At six? Where's blue Chips Blue?
Speaker 1: I told you it's all the way. It's like at thirty. They don't like it. It's next to Semi pros. That is despicable man, you know the man now dog that put me in the worst. I was watching the movie kind of liking it.
Speaker 2: I'll give respect to Sean Connery. By the way, Who's Who's James Bond in your mind?
Speaker 3: I mean, just because of the era that I grew up in it's Pierce Brosn. But my dad is a big James Bond guy and loves Sean Connery.
Speaker 2: Connery's bond to me. Who's Batman?
Speaker 3: Oh, Michael Keaton forever. I've gotten into an argument with that correct answer. I've gotten into an argument with my friends about this ad nauseum.
Speaker 2: They are all about bail, bail.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, no, dude, yeah, bail is okay, bail best Bruce Wayne, Michael Keaton best Batman.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can ride with that. But as long as Keaton's Batman, we're on the same pressure. All Right, weird start. I'm leaving town, so I'm misbehaving. We're going to catch a quick break, but we got one more long segment.
Speaker 2: C K's carrying me through because I've got a voice issue.
Speaker 1: We've got a powerhouse list of guests, Chris Cameronnie, Pablo Masteronnie, Kyle Whittingham, coach who joins us in about one hour from now. If you're rolling your eyes that were ranking basketball movies. You can set your alarm for one hour from now if you want to listen to Wit one hour down, We've got three hours to go. I want to tell you about my friends at Ogden Clinic Havley Dermatology.
Speaker 2: Here's the deal.
Speaker 1: If you're like me, if you're like Chris, when the weather is warm, you are outside all the time. Okay, Now, the problem is you are at risk for some skin issues if you are exposed to the sun consistently. I did not know this, but we leave the country in skin cancer diagnosis per capita. So if you have not been checked, my friends at Ogden Clinic Hadley Dermatology, they're actually doing the community a big favor, a big service because they're offering you a free consultation. So that right there saves you a ton of money and you just go up and get checked and then you can walk out with peace of mind.
Speaker 2: Or if you got a little issue, they'll help to take care of it.
Speaker 1: We're talking discounts on boatox, We're talking discounts on laser treatments. Help with your teenage acne issues, hair loss, dry.
Speaker 2: Skin as well.
Speaker 1: Number one though, if you have not been checked, and if you're out in the sun a lot, if you're a golfer, if you're a hiker, take advantage of this deal right now. Give them a call at eight oh one sixty five seven five sixty sixty four. All right, this is acceptable, right, this is not one of their big time hits. Where you going Mister Deed's I believe it was on the Mister Deed's soundtrack.
Speaker 2: Betta Beevy sneaky. Yeah. Underrated Adam Sandler.
Speaker 3: Oh, very underrated. I mean in the Sandler lexicon. It's probably four or five. But that's still that's still good enough for me on a good day. Are you pulling him up?
Speaker 1: No, I'm just looking because because I wanted, because it's Steve Buscemi was in that movie.
Speaker 2: But anything John like he kills it and everything. Yeah. Rounders? You watching sever Oh yeah, yeah, Okay, I'm two behind. Okay, I'm about to catch up on the flight. Okay, okay. Oh I like the look you.
Speaker 1: Just gave me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm in for a yep.
Speaker 1: But Ttuo was in Rounders with Matt Damon and Ed Norton as like the pro gambler.
Speaker 2: Anything to Turro's in is he he.
Speaker 3: Is one of the coaches and he got game. That's recruiting, right is.
Speaker 1: The uh he Got Game? Movie is not for children? So a Spike Lee joint. There's a lot of things I saw that I probably was seeing for the first time as a teenager.
Speaker 2: I want to watch that movie. So earl the Pearl, Monroe highlights.
Speaker 1: Good good poll So make sure the kids are in better if you're gonna watch He Got Game.
Speaker 2: Peter Gallagher was in that movie.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, goodness, Johnny Mack, Yeah, shar Best Adam Sandler movie.
Speaker 3: Go oh, best or most quotable either, probably happy Gilmore. It's Gilmore and Madison one A one B for me.
Speaker 1: It will always be those two. Yeah, you're thinking too hard. I would probably go Gilmore one.
Speaker 2: I think I think I would too.
Speaker 1: See these lists suck Rotten Tomatoes. Best Sandler movie. They say it's hustle. It's very not did you like on cut Gems.
Speaker 2: I loved it, but it stressed me out. I'll never watch it again.
Speaker 3: On Struggle, Oh, wedding singer also under rated? Okay, wedding singers in the mix. My most underrated Sandler movies Anger Management.
Speaker 1: Anger Management is excellent. Fifty first Dates not great. Great song though at the end, Yeah you sung with Drew barrymore Man, You're singing it's hard. I was just trying to fall back in love with her. I'm leaving town. So what are we talking about? All right, Chris Comrodnie live in studio. We did a lot of college college football last segment. Let's jump over now to little college hoops where Jeff Goodman, John Rothstein, Sean O'Connell, our very own Sean O'Connell.
Speaker 2: You want you want to throw Chris comranni in the mix. Chris Comronnie, are you reporting too? It's not done yet. I've been told wait, you have inside information? All right? All right, well then let's get serious here. Let's do some serious sports occerator on a website, some journalism.
Speaker 1: So we have Rostein and Goodman are two of the main college basketball newsbreakers, and Sean has his sources as well. Alex Jensen is thought to be high speed ahead to land and become the next head coach.
Speaker 2: Tell us what you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounds like the deal should be imminent in the next twenty four to forty eight hours, but it has not done yet, so these things take time. Obviously, Alex is actively coaching the Dallas Mavericks. I think they're in Milwaukee tonight, if I'm not mistaken. So yeah, everything is trending in that direction. As national and some other local reporters have already reported.
Speaker 1: Let's see the Mavericks are in Milwaukee tonight. Alex is on that staff. Tim McMahon our guy, Tony Jones on the show. They both have said they know that Alex is in the last year of his deal. I guess the MAVs decided to extend Jason Kidd but did not extend his assistants for whatever reason.
Speaker 2: So let's kind of stay in the space.
Speaker 1: So Chris Comrodnie, who has his sources, is reporting on The Drive Monday through Friday, two to six, live everyday, no exceptions. Alex Jensen is on the way to potentially be the next head coach for the Utah men's basketball team. Yes, these things are complex, Yes they take time. You hear a lot of people say that five years ago when Mark did it again, five years ago when Mark decided to move on from coach Kris Koviak, there were conversations with Alex, but they didn't go very well.
Speaker 2: Do you have any insight there. It's not that they didn't go very well.
Speaker 3: I think Alex at the time, as you've alluded to, and a lot of other people have alluded to, Alex was the first assistant on one of the best teams in the NBA, was credited with, you know, transforming one of the most awkward prospects in recent history into a now four time Defensive Player of the Year and future Hall of Famer. And in twenty nineteen, he interviewed for the Cavs job. So like, I think at the time, there were a lot of people that thought alex was going to get a shot. And who knows, maybe if COVID doesn't happen, maybe if all of the things, if all of the if the yarn doesn't disassemble, the if things don't fray, if the Jazz stay good, if Donovan and Rudy stay here, there's a chance alex Is is a head coach in the NBA.
Speaker 2: YEP. I think his exit was just.
Speaker 3: A byproduct of that era ending much sooner than a lot of people expected. But now he's coaching on a team that you can argue has had the most snake bitten regular season in the history of the NBA. Maybe I don't know, I'm just everyone's a victim to since he bias, but they are probably not going to make the postseason now I would I would guess if Anthony Davis will probably not play the rest of the year. I think they're like in the tenth spot. And I know the Phoenix Suns are their own disaster, but I would imagine the Sons will eventually catch them because I don't think a team of Spencer Dinwiddie and let's see, I can get somebody else on that team.
Speaker 2: Don't tell me. Is Dwight Powell on that?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, good job Branford, Stanford grad Dwight Powell. So yeah, I just think we're in a different era now. A head coaching job in the Big twelve will pay you more than an assistant coaching job in the NBA, and I would imagine that that is part of this as well. You know, Alex is a Utah kid through and through. I know he didn't go to the I know he went to Bountiful's rival.
Speaker 1: He's lucky he went to Humont. Okay, I can be very clear about that. But yeah, his his family loves it here, you know, they it. I think the stars are aligning, and I think this is your speculation on my part. I think there's a reason now if you can get this across the line. Why you know, Mark Carlin and Utah decided to dismiss Craig Craig Smith when they did. Yeah, no, the timing makes a lot more sense when you learned that potentially they had their target mind all along. I wonder, do you think or maybe you know this, Do you think Mark has kind of changed the way he's gone about this process, because there are a lot of people and I don't I don't know this to be true, but a lot of people on the show and off the show have said, last time they're overtures to Mark about you got to hire a Utah guy, we're just met with deaf ears.
Speaker 2: Now. I don't know that I have a problem with that, because you and I have.
Speaker 1: Discussed this quite a Yeah, you and I have just discussed this quite a bit. Like all due respect to Josh Grant, who is one of the best to ever do it at Utah, Josh Grant was a dude, because you know, that's how I like to put it when it comes to good players.
Speaker 3: Hall of Fame interview on the Drive too. Oh yeah, bring him back more often.
Speaker 1: No, No, Josh Grant could come. We can chop it up anytime. But Josh Grant back in the day was a problem. Like if he was born ten years later, he probably would have been a ten or twelve year NBA guy.
Speaker 2: So I respect Josh.
Speaker 1: He was a great player, and I do appreciate the candor and honesty that he brought to the show last week. But like I can remember a lot of friends of mine that played basketball at Utah, A lot of alums would talk about how they kept trying to call Larry Kriskoviak and trying to offer help, and I either couldn't get a call back or he wouldn't answer the phone. And I would even say to them like dude, Larry Craig, Larry, I'm okay, I'm going to get on the plane. So even back when Larry was around, I heard from a lot of like ute alums that they tried to get ahold of Larry and his staff to help and they didn't really get a lot of invites or whatever.
Speaker 2: That's not Larry's job.
Speaker 1: And so when Josh kind of dropped the same thing, like a lot of alums tried to call Craig and say can we help and he said no, I've got this, Like I don't have an issue with that, Like Craig's job is not to cater to alums.
Speaker 2: It was to coach his team.
Speaker 1: But it was kind of the same feel about last time around when they were making this higher.
Speaker 2: According to a lot of people.
Speaker 1: They tried to reach out to Mark to say we need a Utah guy, and Mark wasn't necessarily open to that. Avenue, do you think something's changed or do you really feel like he thinks Alex is the right candidate?
Speaker 3: Now, I mean, just my opinion. I think Alex is the right candidate because he is a guy who has ties to the university that can stimulate a donor base that badly needs stimulating. And he's a guy who's proven he can coach. And we talked about this on the show a couple of weeks ago. It's like it is not rocket science these days. Find a guy who can coach, and find a guy who can get money from donors, and then that that coach who can coach will use that money to go out and hopefully recruit good players.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's E equals MC squared whatever A plus BK will see like it is that and that's it, period, end of story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and watching what the Kevin Young hire has done for BYU Basketball in less than a year. I think it's a model that you got to look at because the sports changed, and you know the ability that Kevin has and Alex has two to go sit in a living room with parents and most of these parents believe their kids are going to be pros, and the kids think they're pros at sixteen, seventeen, eighteen years old. I always tell this anecdote because I can remember John Calipari was interviewed prior to one of you know, a UK game a couple of years ago, and the broadcaster asked col how many pros do you have on your roster? And he said, I have twelve. Out go ask them. Just go in the locker room and go ask them. I have twelve.
Speaker 2: They to be fairly well.
Speaker 1: I mean they may have had four or five, right right, So all these kids think they're going to go pro. And so for Kevin young to be able to go into aj De Bounce's live in a room with his father and say, I heard your favorite player of all time is Kevin Durant.
Speaker 2: There's his cell phone. Do you want to FaceTime him right now? Oh? I heard your favorite player is Kevin Booker. We're buddies.
Speaker 1: I'll text him and you want an autograph, Chris Paul whatever, Alex can go sit in a living room and say Luka, Doncic, Kyrie Irving, Anthony Davis, Rudy Gobert, Donovan Mitchell, Gordon Hayward, Klay Thompson.
Speaker 2: Oh you like those players? G times on the list.
Speaker 1: It was an all star once you look. Gordon Hayward prior to the leg injury. Gordon's last full year here, he was awesome. He was really good. That's why it sucked that he left after he got hurt. He never was able to recapture his form. He had a couple of decent years in Charlotte. But yeah, yeah, too, big Yo is on the list.
Speaker 2: K No.
Speaker 3: I agree with you wholeheartedly, and that is part of it as well. I've told you this for years. Man like Utah just hasn't had an enticing roster of players or an enticing style of play to pay for or to and watch periods consistently.
Speaker 2: Period end of story.
Speaker 3: And I know Craig's hiring came out a flashpoint in college athletics. You know he was hired I think in end of March twenty twenty one, and that is right when NIL started to take off. You're coming out of the real peak part of COVID fog. Craig didn't do a good enough job recruiting good enough players, period, end of story. Now there's an argument to be made that he didn't have NIL resources at his disposal to do that, but at the end of the day, it's a resultspace business. And you know, I think you know that. I think most people know that. So now Utah, if they can get this over the line, they're relying on a piece of you know, the glory days, the heyday to come back and restore something that really hasn't been seen on a consistent level in twenty five years since Yeah, twenty five years, just had the Larry blip in like fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, decent years, you know, six sweet sixteen, run good, good, good run. But just looking at like ninety to like two thousand and four, they were in it almost every I mean, it was a prize if Utah wasn't.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly no well said, and a surprise that they didn't at least win a couple of games.
Speaker 2: Yep. And I continue to say this, and you might have some memories.
Speaker 1: Even though I'm older than you are, I'm telling you, man, if you're a ute student listening to the show, first of all, wow, because you have so much that you can do that you're streaming on the internship. We had Jalen Johnson as an interne's in the NFL. But do you want to be an NFL player, you should be an intern here. But if you're a student listening to this, I'm blown away. Thank you. You just don't know what it's like to be on campus in March when your team is really good. It's really fun. It is it's it's a really fun time. I can remember during those days. We would plan our days around like where are we getting together to watch these games? The youth's playing the tournament today or it's the sweet sixteen? Are we getting to get like in the student body has an experienced in a long long time. You know what it's like when the football team is good and the muss is crazy impressive. But I just I would love that for this community because it was so fun when I was a student there in the late nineties.
Speaker 2: Is one of my favorite things.
Speaker 3: And you guess, the best player on the running utes roster when I was there. I guess yeah, my junior year oh seven oh seven, Luca Derca, he wasn't the best player or one of the best. Others grateful with a Neville, Johnny Bryant.
Speaker 1: Johnny Bryant was good player, he was a good LEADU guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, jack O LEDI had.
Speaker 1: A good team with Bogu, But Bogat was a Majeris recruit, right, because I think they went to the Sweet sixteen. But no, it has been since Rick. The consistency has not been there since Majeri's left. There's just no doubt about it. And I don't think this community has been invigorated or inspired by the program since then either, ye Leeve, you know, save a few except that you and I've already talked about, and Jack had one, Boylan had one, Larry had a couple. Craig really didn't, you know, they never went to the tournament. He had some decent wins Oregon, Arizona, whatever. But if we're honest, the consistent consistency, as far as winning, entertaining style of play, and engagement from the community, it hasn't been there since Rick.
Speaker 3: Well, and at the risk of sounding to Kurt like nobody really gives a rip about big wins in the regular season exactly, Like, what are your big wins? Come conference tournament time and getting into the dance.
Speaker 1: Well, and getting into the dance is the number one thing. You leave a lot of money on the table. That's the reason why college basketball is still a revenue generator is because of the tournament.
Speaker 2: Yeah, period, end of story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean still to this day. It is an equalizer in the sense that people who do not watch college basketball will tune in for the first and second round exactly. People who do not watch college basketball will say, help me fill out my bracket. I have money on the line at my work pool. Like that is still going on on.
Speaker 2: We don't.
Speaker 3: You don't really get that in any other sport. So I think that kind of transcends the cultural part of sports in America.
Speaker 1: All Right, before we take a break, a couple of minutes here with c K. Because we want to make sure that Trey isn't just tortured by his own thoughts. Let's go, let's do him a favor and talk some RSL because he's such a tortured person that if he hears us talking soccer, it might distract him. From his own mental illness and be happy for a moment.
Speaker 2: It was a young boy.
Speaker 3: Well I'm ready, but this was a prescient moment because you Tray knew, Trey knew that we were going to talk about the lads.
Speaker 1: There's a compendium of things to talk about. Shout out Gerald about RSL. First of all, let's just talk about a positive result home opener MLS Seattle Seattle can't win here, which is pretty wild because very like on paper, these two teams right now, Seattle should beat him every single time, agreed, But they roll in here and like they always do, they couldn't get anything started. And RSL gets an own goal in the first half, our guy Forrester right his second goal. Maybe they have your Forester kit yet, Maybe they don't. Hey, I don't And if you're listening, Trey, I'm still waiting.
Speaker 3: Maybe they don't need a nine. My guy, you're riding the good good vibes.
Speaker 2: Wave to nil.
Speaker 3: Yeah, give me your thoughts. A very odd own goal. I mean, knew who knew?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 3: Who is Sam stay Skull's favorite MLS player of all time because he's so entertaining to watch and goofy as you could tell on that own goal gives him a gift. I'm sure that definitely settled the nerves. I mean eight minutes in, Like you could imagine what American first field would have looked like if it was like the sixtieth minute and it's nil mill Sorry at the riot, I was gonna say aff but I mean it's a different looking team when Oheeda and Ellie are in the middle of the park together. Honestly, like, for sure, I think they're just better. I thought Quentin and Glad had a really good looking connected partnership. There wasn't a lot of disconnectivity there, Like a lot of strike in previous games had maybe a little too much room. There wasn't a lot. And I know Seattle doesn't necessarily play with the true number nine anyways, as you know, I mean Jordan Morris is really a true winger since they moved on from Rawlry Diaz. But they have a ton of good players to throw out at opposing teams, and they have so many diverse pieces now since adding your guy. Heyes, Susperrera, Yeah, I mean kind of false nine as you like to call to Paul Ariola. Anyways, great result, but you got to make the move soon. Man, you got to make the move soon because these things take so much longer than people think. Like RSL could conceivably have a guy that they might have offered already, but before you can get documents signed, before you start the visa process. Like Dunny said it on your show earlier this week. Now, it's probably gonna be harder than ever to get an impact player in at an optimal time because of the function of the government right now. So like you, basically you can't go into May with your guy Forrester and rifpol as your two number nine.
Speaker 2: You just can't.
Speaker 1: Is there a striker in Greenland that we can look at or you know, based off the current clot I'm just saying, I like where your heads at. Well, the window closes late April, yeah, right, so we got about six weeks.
Speaker 3: Right, But if you if you, let's say you get a move done mid April, how long before they get their visa? And then the acclamation process of training with people like you can't just come over here and like, hey, I'm waiting for my visa, like takes a long time.
Speaker 2: It is pretty wild.
Speaker 1: I don't think I ever really understood the process until Garth kind of outlet.
Speaker 2: He just outlined everything to me. He's like, this is exactly he dumbs it down for he does.
Speaker 1: He does, and you know, and then you hear the horror stories of how many players that they actually thought they had and it fell through and it wasn't because the player didn't want to come, or they didn't want the play, or there was some sort of piece of paperwork that didn't get done in time, and then the window closes and you're screwed.
Speaker 2: It's a it's an nine, right, Like it's got to be a nine.
Speaker 3: It's got to be a nine. It maybe needs to be another like ten or winger, because I know, I don't know who. I don't know if Diogo has a guy in our friend group. I don't know if like Diogo is a JP guy, a FALK guy.
Speaker 2: I think everybody's still waiting. Okay.
Speaker 3: My point is is that like he gives big time, not even Robin Vibes, Like I don't even know what this Robin's sidekick is, but like he is not playing like the type of player that they're paying him to be or paid for him. So if it's doable, I think RSL probably needs to make two big moves. I think they need to bring bring in another winger or central attacking player because you're gonna play a bunch of games. And while the fans love Diego Luna, if Diego Luna isn't here long term, who is going to be that that lynchpin in the attacking midfield dominic? Mark Zu, you know, talented player has looked really good, but like he's I can't even think how many goals are assists he has since coming over to the club.
Speaker 2: Not many.
Speaker 3: I mean, Lachlan Brook seems just like a squad rotational player. If you're going to compete in the Western Conference, you need to have some dudes.
Speaker 1: You need to have dudes who love ball. That's the way I put it. Diego did have the assist on my guy.
Speaker 2: Ford, and it was great. It was a great ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I'm just saying, like killer mentality, instilling fear in the opponent. Not it, definitely not it, And maybe it's there deep down. And Donney had a good point, Like I watched him play on those Copenhagen teams that were in Champions League and he was a great player, but he was a role player on those teams. Like he wasn't a guy who was like, Hey, we're going to bring in this dude to dictate the pace of a game for ninety minutes, fair.
Speaker 1: Enough before I set you loose. What do you know about San Diego? Not the city but the team RSL's playing that.
Speaker 3: They've looked really, really good in the first two weeks. They do not look like an expansion franchise. They beat La Galaxy on their home turf and the opener. I think they were held to a draw last week in their home opener. But they have Chuquy Chuqui Lozano, who is a Mexican national team star, and they will be no rollover for sure.
Speaker 1: San Diego has an MLS team. Why don't you throw your resume over there? What am I gonna do there, dude San Diego? Right, I know, the time I land in San Diego, I say, why don't I live here?
Speaker 3: Correct? But I'm going to counter this with this. Every one of my friends who've ever worked for a club say it is very rewarding, but it is the most taxing, tiresome job in.
Speaker 2: Existence.
Speaker 3: If you work for the Jazz, you have to go to forty one home games or maybe eighty two. If you work for RSEL, you have to go to thirty four games, maybe thirty eight.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing that, man, dude, I'm you know. We we can do an entire week of radio shows.
Speaker 1: Why it is a complete farce that they have sold you you want to work in sports so badly? They're going to pay a thirty five K for ninety hours of work. Why do you think I do this every day? Why do you think I do what I do too?
Speaker 2: Schee. Good to see you, buddy. Thanks Chris Comrod.
Speaker 1: He brought to you today by Burt Brothers, with over thirty years of experience in nearly thirty locations. Burt Brothers, as certified technicians, bring expertise and professionalism to every interaction industry, leading warranties and low price tier guarantees. One stop shop for reliable repairs and maintenance, from tires and alignments to fluids and breaks, offering a full range of automotive services tailored to meet your needs. If I sound sick, it's because of kind of them, so bear with me here now offering value tire options such as Americus and summ At tires starting at just sixty nine dollars. With warranties, they go up to seventy thousand miles. As one of the few Triple A certified shops and Utah, Burt Brothers upholds the highest standards and automotive service it Stop by Burt Brothers or Tirebuster's locations or schedule an appointment today to experience the trusted service that has made them a Utah favorite for over three decades.
Speaker 2: Burt Brothers doing it better since day one. Burt Brothers dot Com