Speaker 1: Thank you, John.
Speaker 2: It is seven four here at Kentucky had this morning News with Nick Coffee on news radio eight forty w h as the crew is all here.
Speaker 1: You just heard from John Shannon.
Speaker 2: We've got Scott Fitzgerald and mister Johnny Alden alongside today And as you heard in the news update there, there's now a curfew in LA which is certainly needed, I would say, But last night yesterday, I suppose, I guess more so yesterday. It sounds as if overnight and maybe even currently, the looting has has stopped. And if there's more of it that takes place, I'm sure there's going to be cell phoned video that ends up on the internet and we'll find out. But recently in LA, there were it looks as if a handful of stores at an Adida store, in Apple Store, a place called Shoe Palace, dispensaries, a pharmacy, and a jewelry store that were that were looted and vandalized. Buildings and police vehicles were to face with graffiti across the ten block radius. So I mentioned this at the beginning of the show today. For some reason, I just that stuff gives me a pit in my stomach. I mean, it's not like it's I don't know what it is. Maybe I'm asking for somebody to diagnose me as to why watching somebody vandalizing and looting a business is such a I can't watch it. I mean a lot of people enjoy watching like things destruct, but it's just it's it's awful, and I guess it takes me back to when that was happening here.
Speaker 1: I remember this.
Speaker 2: So my son was born on June first, and I remember that was a Monday, but I remember that weekend, even that Sunday night before we went to the hospital the next morning my wife was induced. There was live coverage here in Louisville from all the local news stations, just covering what was taking place, and you could tell with what you saw there was a real difference in those that were going about it peacefully, those that were going about it not peacefully violently, and then those that were there just to simply destroy and steal. And I don't know, it was it was almost like I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing, and I remember just watching it live. One of the news anchors, I believe it was for WDRB, was was walking through walking through downtown Louisville and they were right near where we are currently at four Street Live. And it was Eddie Merlows, which is still closed down here. Just just I mean I can see it out of our window here, and just to see. It's one of those things you just don't forget because it's a place that I didn't go to frequently, but I've been to a few times and you're familiar with it, and you're watching people just destroy the windows and go in and steal the booze from the bar, and just I mean, even if there's not anything of value that they see that's worth taking, the other task at hand for them seems to just be to destroy things. And it's just I don't know. It was obviously really sad to see that, But since then, anytime I think about looting, I think of that visual and you know that obviously went on around here at that time, and it got a lot of attention for good reason. Uh, And it's just it's awful. I mean, that doesn't accomplish anything. And those are people that I just assume know of. Okay, there's unrest in this city. Protests have gotten to a certain point. We now have an opportunity to go and just join in. But we're not joining in for any reason as far as wanting any type of change. We're there to take advantage of the situation and steal and destroy.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: And anybody who's had either their home or their vehicle broken into knows that feeling. It's as someone who's had their vehicle broken into.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you do, and you know and you hear this, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: That that's got to be.
Speaker 2: That's got to be even though I don't own Eddie Merleaus or have any connection, but yes, knowing that it's the city that I lived my whole life in and and will always love to see it, it's yeah, it's being violated.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And when I was a watch when my car was broken into in broad daylight, mind you, in a parking lot. I watched the video and it's even worse when you go back and watch the video because it sort of doubles that up and amplifies it even more.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 5: That's only a car for me.
Speaker 4: My insurance covered it and I was able to get you know, I'm back on the road. You're talking about people's livelihoods like this is what even if it's a chain store. You're talking about people that count on that to go to work, maybe to feed their kids.
Speaker 2: I've heard I've heard people share business owners share stories of the feeling they get when they look at surveillance footage to see that somebody has broken too their establishment, and again you feel violated. Yeah, I mean, I rarely keep anything of value in my car, but if I do make a bonehead of mistake and leave it unlocked, and I see that somebody just went through and looked at and the glove box and the center console just to see if there was anything, and they're just throwing stuff around and they leave it without taking anything because there's nothing of value, but they were in there. It is a feeling of it's an ick.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: It is in fact in my car at the time, I had my favorite hoodie in there, and it was it was a plain white hoodie, but it was my favorite and my man put it on and ran off with it. Wow, I'm like, dude, and it's a hoodie. It's a ten dollars hoodie. It's no big deal, but it's still it's mine, dude. And so when I see images like what you were just talking about, I'm thinking of the folks. Maybe there's some folks that worked in an apple store. It doesn't have to be someone trying to feed their family. Maybe it's a college kid that's trying to make a couple of bucks that it's like, hey, and I know these bigger companies always take care of their people in situations like this, They're not going to stop paying them. But on the same token, you know, this is still this is what I do. And for you to come in here in this blatant disregard, and I know law enforcement to some degree, they do what they can, and we've seen our own law enforcement get on top of the situation in the Highlands, which is outstanding, but there's only so much you can do at that point when you have that big of a mob that encounters and then you just they're more trained in it than I am.
Speaker 5: They know better what they're doing.
Speaker 2: And I don't think this is something that even needs to be said, but might as well say it. If you are someone that is claiming to be protesting for a real change that you're passionate about, what in the world would destroying businesses and stealing and vandalizing what would that do to as far as that's not gonna help anything at all, which is why I just assume that the most people who have their faces covered that are there just to it's just almost like their robots just there to destroy and steal. I mean, those are people that just take advantage of these kind of things happening, which if you are a city leader, you've got to keep it from getting to the level where you look like a vulnerable spot for somebody to come in and do this kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's something you've got to be mindful of.
Speaker 2: All right, we've got another update of traffic and weather coming your way right here right now. Also, you guys want to hear Kentucky fans upset about Vince Marrow. We've got some audio that I want to share with you guys from callers yesterday to KSR. Look, I get it. They didn't just lose their beloved assistant coach. He went to the rival, and as you could expect, they're not too happy about it. It is seven sixteen here at Kentucky and his Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty. Whas I would say, when it comes to the big, big stories in sports here locally Obviously, we've talked a lot about the College World Series and will continue to do that as we've got two programs from the state that are representing the Bluegrass State here in Omaha. But the news of Vince Merrow leaving his position at Kentucky as the associate head coach for Mark Stoops, being a very beloved assistant at Kentucky, a guy that didn't just play a big role in bringing talent to help Mark Stoops win at a level Kentucky had never won at consistently. I mean, it's not just that he was the hype man. He was a fan favorite. And he's not just leaving because he's trying to jump ship before things really implode in Lexington with Mark Stoops. He's leaving to go to the rival, and he's doing it in June when he's already turned down other jobs to go elsewhere. It seems so understandably so. Kentucky fans not not happy about this decision from uh from Marrow, and they were calling in yesterday to KSR to express their thoughts on Vince Marrow's decision.
Speaker 3: He went to Louisville, I would we get a chance to run it down his throat, run a red sideline. I don't care if we get a penalty, throw the el down in.
Speaker 6: His He is now the enemy.
Speaker 3: I don't wear red shirts.
Speaker 6: I won't even wear red underwear.
Speaker 3: Coach larow Man, I used to love and now I despise. You're a trader. You have to betrayed the UK UK fans. Vince Merrill, the dirty bird finger and the L's down shall now be the official Vince Marrow greeting. He did that to UK football, UK Athletics and now BBN don't go to the loser Bill down the road.
Speaker 2: So that's the second that's the second clip we have. So there's I've got two different clips we've played this morning of callers that have expressed just you know that they're upset about it, and I get it. If I was a Kentucky fan, I'm sure it would be it would be not surprising to see him leave, even though he's this beloved But the real story here is that he's going to Louisville, and it's a guy who probably would have had a job at Kentucky in some capacity for the rest of his life if he wanted it, regardless of what happens with Mark Stoops and he chose to go to Louisville, which will probably change a lot for him as far as how he's I mean, it sounds crazy because we're all adults here, right, it's just sports. It doesn't really impact our daily lives to a big extent, most of us at least. But in ten years there's now going to be a much different conversation about Vince Merrill's legacy at Kentucky than there would have been had had he stayed at Kentucky and he got let go with Stoops and everybody else. I mean, that probably wouldn't have happened. But yeah, the rivalry component here is why this is such a story.
Speaker 4: Say so, do you think that anger is more driven that if you had to put a picture of Vince Morrow up there in a picture of Louisville, would more of those fans you think point at Louisville as opposed to Vince Morrow.
Speaker 2: I think they're mad at Mark Stoops for the program being in the position to where he's trying to get out before it gets even worse. And that's really the ultimate takeaway is what this says about Kentucky's program currently. I mean, they're gonna have the opportunity, meaning Stoops in his current staff, to prove people wrong. But there's there's little to no momentum. In fact, there's no momentum. And there's always a chance they could surprise people and be better, but there really isn't a whole lot to point to. It would make you think that that's gonna happen. So I think Stoop's putting the program in this spot and and and I think once there's more, and I don't know the full details, but it sounds as if Stoops started to kind of shift more of the top assistant duties to Eddie Grahan, not as much Vince Marrow. And I guess Vince Marrow was by that. And I think that that's another thing is fans are thinking, why in the world would you prop up Eddie grant to to shoot down the beloved Vince Marrow. I mean, Merrow is a fan favorite, and that you know the fact that he's going to the rival, I mean, I get.
Speaker 5: It if he goes to Tennessee. Are we hearing all these comments?
Speaker 2: I don't think it all to the extent, really, I don't. I mean, it would still be there'd be the rivalry component, but it's just different around here, especially in Louisville. So rivalries are what makes sports great. And this is certainly one story that'll probably be remembered for a long time. A top assistant, beloved assistant leaving to go coach at the rival school doesn't doesn't happen very often. All right, we've got trafficking weather coming your way in just a moment. Also another update of sports with Scott Fitzgerald right here on news radio eight forty whas it is seven thirty five here Kentucky had his morning news with Nick Coffee a news Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 1: What do we have here?
Speaker 5: What kind of call? Oh man, that isn't awesome? Video?
Speaker 1: Dude, I'll remixed with some Windows prompts. Wind those I thought I got here.
Speaker 5: I thought I got rid of those on this You.
Speaker 2: Can't get rid of them, dud. And I don't mean you specifically. You know, there's all kinds of different prompts. Windows will alert you about as far as an update or something being available. And when you think you have gone throughout the entire system to disable any type of prompt, yeah, there'll be one that pops up that you didn't even know was there.
Speaker 5: Let me ask you this, do you guys say? And I asked and John I asked Nick about this yesterday.
Speaker 4: When you go to certain websites, A lot of a lot of the college athletic.
Speaker 5: Websites, I go to use them still like when you.
Speaker 4: Have au no, yeah, well auto plays too, but when you have to click no, I'm okay with cookies.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, that's I thought. That's most websites now.
Speaker 5: Well, and no, I don't want your newsletter.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's clearly a real you'll benefit to having somebody's email address to where your daily content ends up in their inbox, to where they don't have to just randomly stumble upon your your dot com. But those that I have given my email address to for signing up for something whatever it may be, I don't I never even look at it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: I've blocked a lot of them. I know they just go straight to my delete box.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it doesn't do it to me as someone who used to run a website.
Speaker 1: And that's that.
Speaker 2: You know, you've got to monetize in any way you can, and those there's new challenges every day as far as trying to monetize on the World Wide Web, and you've got to do whatever you can. But you also don't want to become annoying to your readers that are on your website, because then they'll just because the reality is this, there are very few platforms really in any realm that is going to give you information that you can't get elsewhere or get for yourself.
Speaker 1: So you've got to give them a good experience.
Speaker 2: And if it's nothing but auto play ads and you know, sign up for this, sign up for that, except the cookies and the non cookie jar or whatever I mean, it becomes annoying. And if you just know, if in your mind you know you're getting that at a certain website, don't be surprised that potentially people just no longer make that a part of their Internet experience.
Speaker 5: You know who's the worst that for me is F one.
Speaker 4: F one is notorious because not only do you have to cook, you have to click through the cookies. But then if you tell them no, I don't want your first newsletter, then they bounce back and say, oh well how about this?
Speaker 5: Stop it.
Speaker 2: They they they've been getting nothing but universal praise as far as just how they've exploded and become a big rising sport here in America.
Speaker 1: Maybe this is the first slip up.
Speaker 5: I'm glad you mentioned.
Speaker 2: Don't annoy us on don't annoy us with your website. You're doing great. The Netflix series became a big It was a big factor in people just realizing what F one was and is.
Speaker 1: But yeah, there's nothing worse than an annoying website.
Speaker 4: Nice segue, because I'm going to tell you why F one put the gauntlet down to one of the other racing circuits too, coming up. They did that yesterday, So I was going to talk about it in sports. But you're right, And so it's a fine line. And Nick, you know more than anybody. You know, you head your website.
Speaker 1: I tell people that all the time.
Speaker 2: I don't everyone right, you just stop there, John.
Speaker 4: And you know the challenges of trying to have a website because if you're going to put that much work into it, you want to monetize it. Let's say, you know, I'm a big fan of capitalism. I always like to make money. And if you're going to do that, and I can probably attest there's probably a lot of internet marketers out there right now that sympathize what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and you you end up running into challenges that you can't foresee coming and you have no control over. For example, and for those that are on my background, before I got a chance to work in radio full time, I created a website called the Cardinal connect dot com, just blogging covering Louisville.
Speaker 1: Did it for a long time.
Speaker 2: Never expected it to be something that actually did generate revenue, and never expected it to be something that helped me get my foot in the door to be doing something like this, So you know, you're constantly seeing how the industry is evolving and for what really was was a big deal for me.
Speaker 1: In a good way.
Speaker 2: And then when it was there was a change to it that I didn't foresee coming that really made it more difficult for me. As far as just it being still a profitable thing to where it was a little I had, I had a staff at people that I paid, was that I created an app to where anything that was within the website you have a native app on your phone and for a while you were able to implement certain ads and because you know, traffic was mostly coming from the app, I mean it was I was getting some pretty good revenue. And then they made it to where you could only use certain type of ads within a native app, and that that completely changed the game for me in a bad way.
Speaker 1: So uh, it's.
Speaker 2: The biggest challenge is that it's always changing and you got to be able to keep up or you'll get left behind.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the uh.
Speaker 2: And now everything's device driven too. Yeah, and you have way more better You've wait way more upside as far as revenue, at least you did when I was back in the game on a on a computer. But now it's all mobile, and that's a world I never never got, never got, never got up to speed on.
Speaker 1: Let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: All right, We've got another update of trafficking weather coming your way. Father's Day's coming up this weekend. For those procrastinators out there, I'm gonna tell you guys coming up here shortly, things that you need to tell your dad to.
Speaker 1: Make him feel good. On Sunday.
Speaker 2: Seven Here on a Wednesday, Kentucky and His Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty Whas we are just just a few days away from Father's Day and I'm looking forward to it as a father.
Speaker 1: We talked earlier this week about our plans.
Speaker 2: I think Scott plans to lay low, right, Yeah, spend some time with the families, with the kids. I'm gonna I'm gonna make my way to Churchill Downs and have a day, hopefully get my dad out there as well. And obviously we just want the newest dad of us to get some sleep, get some rest, and hopefully.
Speaker 6: Won't but I'm going over to my my parents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, happened at some point though I didn't want to tell you, but there's no way you're getting any rest now.
Speaker 1: Father's Day.
Speaker 5: You'll find yourself dozing off while the parents are talking. That's nice to do.
Speaker 2: That now, when you doze off at this point. And for those who don't know, I'm sure everybody's well aware now that John is a brand new dad. His lovely daughter Daisy just two months old now right just today today, Happy two months Daisy. She's she's been keeping John up at times just because that's what babies do. And and you know, if you have kids, then actually you don't even have to have kids to probably be able to understand that it's a big adjustment. And when you're a newborn baby, you got to sleep schedule and you know, you need to eat and all that kind of stuff. So when you do get chances to doze off, do you feel like it's valuable or is it just a constant cycle of I'll squeeze and sleep when I can. But man, this sucks because I'm I am a pessimist when it comes to certain things, and.
Speaker 1: I feel like I would just I would.
Speaker 2: It would be hard for me to look at a quick twenty minute nap in my car as a wind for me, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: But if you're getting sleep, you're getting sleep, regardless of how it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't know how often you know the quick fifteen to twenty minute naps are actually quality. I know they say that a twenty minute power nap can really boost it the rest of your day. Maybe that's for people who get adequate sleep, though I would say, yeah, But if I'm able on the rare occasion when my wife's able to let me nap for an hour hour and a half, even if I can get to two hours, which it's very rare, that's when I feel a little more rejuvenated. But again, those those occasions are hard to come by.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I know at some point you will be still getting up really early, because that's what this that's what this gig is. But I'm sure when you have a little bit more balance and there's more consistent at this.
Speaker 6: Point, when I can get back to just getting a consistent six hours of sleep from you know, nine pm to three am, whenever, it may be like that feels like it'll be a win.
Speaker 1: Yep, it'll it'll be there. You'll be there soon.
Speaker 4: I was trying to remember the time when when I finally got to where you're talking about, Johnn And I don't remember the exact moment with either of my kids, but I do remember when it happened, and it is life changing. I mean, it gets there, but it's life changing and it's it's a great feeling.
Speaker 6: But I also don't want to wish away And I've heard you say this, Scott and and you two Nick, like, I don't want to wish away these these moments of Daisy being as young as she is right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take it in and live in the moment, as hard as that is to do at times. But it is wild how we all are in different uh, I guess phases of fatherhood. You know, Scott, you were telling me the other day. And I know it's been it's been a while since this was the case, but whenever your oldest was able to babysit, you guys didn't have to pay a babysitter.
Speaker 1: You had one.
Speaker 2: And for me, like I'm I'm legitimately excited as can be that when my son starts kindergarten, we will no longer pay for daycare. And that's a big deal to us that no longer have that expense. And my man John's just looking for some consistency with sleeves. So again, we're all in different different phases here.
Speaker 4: I remember that I totally forgot about that, now that you've brought that up. And then it was and then and then of course we thought, well once he when the kids get out of elementary school, we'll stop paying for that.
Speaker 5: And then then came high.
Speaker 1: School, private school, though yeah we did, yeah.
Speaker 4: So, but then once my son left, acts were like, oh, we get a payday.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, and that's not cheap.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so no, And then then comes the time when they that we moved both of them. My daughter got a new apartment and my son moved into an apartment because he's working with the Reds and the Natty, and that cost us a pretty penny this summer.
Speaker 2: Well, and moving moving in any way sucks, and doing it twice in the same weekend roughly is not good.
Speaker 1: Real quick. Just some things that that this.
Speaker 2: This study says your dad will likely appreciate most. As far as things you can say other than just happy Father's Day, you were always there for me. You have always supported my dreams, You always kept your word, You made my childhood fun, You gave me everything. So just keep that in mind. I'm gonn crying. Call my dad right now. We need We got an updated traffic and weather coming up right here.