Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. So think about this for a second. Imagine you can like totally control your entire communication system, really shape it into something powerful, precise, totally customized for you, like turning your phone system into well, the source we're using calls it a digital Samurai sord.
Speaker 2: Right, a samurai sword, I like that, And today that's exactly what we're diving into. Asterisk. It's this open source PBX private branch exchange, and its capabilities are pretty incredible, Okay. Our mission really is to unpack the basics, figure out how it's kind of revolutionizing communication and look at some honestly surprising uses like running a whole virtual call center or even yeah.
Speaker 1: Security audits, purity audits. Okay, interesting, and yeah you mentioned our source. We're digging into Asterisk hacking toolkit and live CD sounds pretty technical.
Speaker 2: It is, yeah, but fascinating stuff. Get ready for some some real aha moments because this view on telecoms, Yeah, it might genuinely surprise you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's do it. So foundation first, what exactly is a PBX break it down for us?
Speaker 2: Okay, right, So basically, a PBX is the gear, the equipment that handles phone switching for a private business like an internal switchboard exactly. It keeps your internal calls, you talking to a colleague, say, totally inside your network. And it also manages all the connections going out to the regular phone network.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, And I bet these things have changed a lot. I remember hearing that, like before the big Bell system breakup in eighty four, PBXs were massive, huge, like.
Speaker 2: Room size sometimes. But after the breakup, Yeah, they shrank like crazy. The source says, from the size of a couch to the size of a briefcase.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And that shrinkage. It just flooded the market with new systems and suddenly we got all these features we just expect now, voicemail, interactive menus, call waiting, caller ID, even music on hold. It really really changed how businesses communicated.
Speaker 1: But I imagine that explosion of options created its own problems.
Speaker 2: Right Debfinitely A big one was vendor lock in. See each company each vendor often had their own special phones.
Speaker 1: So company Ex's phone wouldn't work with company wise system.
Speaker 2: Exactly, total headache for businesses, and sometimes vendors would set things up and then just disappear, leaving customers totally stranded. If something went wrong.
Speaker 1: Ouch. Okay, so that sounds like a perfect setup for something disruptive to come along, like voiceover IP VoIP.
Speaker 2: Precisely, VoIP really shakes things up. The core idea is sending your voice calls over your existing data networks, your computer network, and.
Speaker 1: The big draw there is cost I assume.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, often these calls can be basically free or very close to it.
Speaker 1: How does that work though, squeezing voice onto a data line.
Speaker 2: It's all about compression using things called codex. Think of them like ZIP files for your voice. Okay, So a standard old phone call using something called MA law took up about sixty four kilobits per second, which meant a T one line pretty common back then, could only handle maybe twenty four calls at once.
Speaker 1: Okay, twenty four calls. It seems limiting.
Speaker 2: It was, but with newer codex those numbers just shoot up. Take G point seventy twenty nine. That drops the bandwidth need down to just eight kbps.
Speaker 1: Wow, big difference.
Speaker 2: Huge. Suddenly that same T one line handles one hundred and ninety two calls, though that one needs a license. But then you get really extreme ones like LPC.
Speaker 1: Ten LPC ten. What's that one like?
Speaker 2: Okay, this one's tiny two point five kbpcs. It's like six hundred and fourteen calls on that same T one line sixt fourteen.
Speaker 1: That's insane efficiency. But what's the catch? What does it sound like?
Speaker 2: Well, this is where the source has that memorable detail. It apparently often sounds like two whales making mating calls.
Speaker 1: Chuckles seriously whales.
Speaker 2: Yep intelligible supposedly, but ah yeah, not exactly professional sounding, probably not. But it shows you right, how those early VoIP engineers were just pushing the absolute limits, prioritizing cost savings over perfect audio quality. It's a clear trade off. More compression lower quality makes sense.
Speaker 1: So besides compression and cost, what else did VIP really unlock?
Speaker 2: Mobility? That's the other huge one. What happens when your team isn't all in one building.
Speaker 1: Right, remote work, traveling salespeople exactly?
Speaker 2: With voyip, your phone calls can follow you anywhere you have a data connection, home broadband, the office network. Even the source mentions Wi Fi at a local drinking establishment.
Speaker 1: Lefs, so your pub becomes your office extension.
Speaker 2: Kinda yeah, your sales team could be all over the country. But their phone number is still just an extension on the company PBX. They get voicemail, all the features, just like they were sitting at their desk.
Speaker 1: That flexibility is massive for how businesses can operate now. But it's worth pointing out VOYAP itself isn't just an asterisk thing, is it?
Speaker 2: Oh? Definitely not. Traditional PBX makers, the big phone companies, they've all adopted VOYP too. It's become pretty standard.
Speaker 1: But asterisk it came from a different place, didn't it. The origin store is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: It really is. Back in nineteen ninety nine, this guy, Mark Spencer, he needed a PBX for his own company. Okay, looked around, found everything cost an armor a leg sound familiar. Yeah, So what does he do? Just decides to build his own from scratch.
Speaker 1: Wow, just build the phone system.
Speaker 2: Yep. Now the source material we're using, it's honest. It says asterisk is hard.
Speaker 1: Okay, good to know, not necessarily plug and play.
Speaker 2: Not initially no ye. But it also says once you become familiar with its intricacies, everything suddenly starts to make sense, which is kind of true for a lot of powerful open source stuff, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that tracks steep learning curve, but big payoff.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and that payoff the real world advantages they're huge. Think about virtual.
Speaker 1: Call centers right before VoIP, that meant tons of physical space or paying a fortune to forward calls to people's homes exactly.
Speaker 2: But with Asterisk and VoIP, a call center can run with barely any physical office. Agents just need broadband wherever they are.
Speaker 1: And that's not just for call centers, right, and any company with remote workers, any mobile workforce.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it translates directly into cost savings too. Right, if your company already has data links between buildings or cities.
Speaker 1: You just route the voice calls over those existing links.
Speaker 2: BINGO, save money, free up your old phone lines. Plus, think about how many people have phones, way more than have reliable computer access sometimes the digital divide. Right. Sure, Asterisk lets you build voice based applications that can reach almost anyone. It dramatically expands who you can communicate with.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if people are listening and thinking this sounds interesting, where do they go to learn more?
Speaker 2: Good question. Www dot asterisk dot org is the main spot downloads news, developer info and www dot digm dot com. That's Mark Spencer's company, The Driving Force behind Asterisk they offer training hardware, that.
Speaker 1: Kind of stuff, got it, asterisk dot org and digim dot com. Okay, so we've painted this picture of asterisks potential. Let's say someone's listening and thinking, right, I want to build my own voice kingdom. Where do they even start with the hardware? What bits and pieces do you need?
Speaker 2: Okay? Hardware? First up the server. Interestingly, the Asterisk software itself tiny, doesn't need much storage really, and then you start adding things voice prompts for menus to press one for sale.
Speaker 1: The IVR right Interactive Voice Response.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and of course voicemail. That's when the storage footprint starts to grow. You need to plan based on how many users you'll have how much voicemail they might save.
Speaker 1: Okay, so server space depends on usage. What about the phones themselves? Do you need special IP phones?
Speaker 2: You can use dedicated IP phones, yeah, like the Cisco seven nine sixties mentioned in the source. But there's also this clever little gadget called an ATA Analog Telephone.
Speaker 1: Adapter AKA what's that do?
Speaker 2: It's basically the Source calls it the bridge between the world of analog telephones and the world of VoIP.
Speaker 1: Ah. So let's you plug in a regular old phone pretty much like.
Speaker 2: The one you might have at home, plug it into the ATA, plug the ATA to your network, and boom it talks of VOYIP. They're usually cheaper than ipphones.
Speaker 1: That's smart leverage existing hardware.
Speaker 2: Yep. They work with most standard analog phones, but not those proprietary digital phones from old pbx's or really old rotary dial phones. Why not rotary because apparently pulse diyling is an obsolete protocol for most atas they expect touchstones.
Speaker 1: Huh okay, good to know. No rotary dialing on your fancy OIP system. What if you want to connect analog phones directly to the server, though maybe for more control.
Speaker 2: For that, you'd use interface cards like digitm sells cards that can handle anywhere from one analog phone up to like ninety six on a single card. Wow okay, and these cards often do support pulse diyling for those vintage phone enthusiasts. You can also get cards to connect to preis.
Speaker 1: Pre I's primary rate interfaces. Those are the big digital lines from the phone company right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, high capacity usually twenty three or twenty four voice channels. You can use a channel bank to split that PI signal out to individual analog phones or lines if you need to.
Speaker 1: Okay, so hardware sorted server phones or atas, maybe interface cards. Now the network voice sounds like it would be pretty demanding on the network.
Speaker 2: It can be. Yeah, remember that oilaw codec sixty four kbps, which is eight kilobytes per second.
Speaker 1: Okay, eight kbbs doesn't sound like much on its own, not for.
Speaker 2: One call, No, but scale it up. Imagine say twenty five hundred simultaneous calls. Now you're talking a constant stream of twenty megabytes per second just for voice traffic. That definitely highlights why your network backbone needs to be solid.
Speaker 1: Right, So, if you've got voice and regular computer data flying around, how do you stop like a big file download for making your phone calls sound terrible? I guess vlands come into play here. Virtual local area networks absolutely essential.
Speaker 2: Vlands are basically a software trick in your network switches. They let you create virtual partitions on the same physical network, so you.
Speaker 1: Can put all the phones on one virtual network and all the computers on another.
Speaker 2: Exactly keep the voice traffic totally separate from the data traffic. That massive file transfer won't interfere with cul quality then, and this separation it's also a big win for security.
Speaker 1: How so security for voice?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like any data VOYP traffic can be sniffed. There are automated tools out there. The source mentions vomit and cane enable that attackers can use to just listen in and record calls. But if your voice traffic is on its own separate VLAN, it creates a barrier, makes it way harder for someone on the MAINTATA network to just casually intercept your calls. The absolute best practice a whole second dedicated ethernet network just for phones, or at least a very strictly controlled VLAN.
Speaker 1: Okay, isolate the voice traffic makes sense. What about optimizing things over like wider connections between offices.
Speaker 2: When optimization right on those wide area networks, you often use bandwidth shaping, basically telling the network what traffic is.
Speaker 1: Most important, so you prioritize the voice.
Speaker 2: You can two main ways. You can dedicate a chunk of bandwidth just for VoIP say one megabit is always reserved for voice guarantees service, but it's inefficient if no one's on.
Speaker 1: The phone wasted bandwidth then potentially.
Speaker 2: The other way is just to prioritize VoIP let data use one hundred percent if it needs it. But if a voice pack it comes along, it jumps to the front of the line. More efficient use of bandwidth, but maybe slightly less guaranteed quality than pure dedication.
Speaker 1: It's a trade off efficiency versus guarantees. Got it okay, network's tuned. How do you actually get Asterisk installed and running? What's the typical approach?
Speaker 2: Well, there are quite a few Linux distributions built specifically around Asterisk. One of the most popular, especially for ease of use, has been tricks Box, trix Box Yeah start out back in two thousand and five. Is Asterisk get home really designed to make it simpler for people? It got acquired by a company called Finality, and Yeah became super popular, tens of thousands of downloads a month. Apparently big reason.
Speaker 1: It's a web interface, ah, a guy that always helps lower the barrier to entry definitely.
Speaker 2: Trick Box uses tools like PHP can fig, Asterisk, canfig Editor, and free pbx. These give you a web page you can log into, just type the server's IP address in your browser and manage stuff like call recording, conference calls voicemail all through menus and buttons.
Speaker 1: Sounds pretty user friendly for something potentially complex.
Speaker 2: It is, but here's a really critical security point from the source material.
Speaker 1: Oh what's that?
Speaker 2: That tricks box management system the web in face It does not use SSL encryption by default.
Speaker 1: Wait seriously, no HTTPS.
Speaker 2: Nope, which means when you log in your username and password they're sent in plaintext. Anyone sniffing the network can see them. Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a massive security hole to be aware of if you're using that interface.
Speaker 2: Absolutely huge. Definitely something to lock down immediately if you go that route. And while that interface like free pbx makes things easier.
Speaker 1: To start, there's a butt coming, isn't there?
Speaker 2: There is? You can grow out of it quickly. Frameworks like that simplify things, but they also constrain you. If you want to do something really custom, something the framework wasn't designed for, it can become a real pain or just impossible through the GUI.
Speaker 1: So for real power users, you eventually need to get your hands dirty with the actual fig.
Speaker 2: File pretty much. Yeah, you need to dive into the core configuration.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how is that structure? Is it just one giant file?
Speaker 2: No, thankfully not Asterisk uses many small configuration files, all interconnected to one another, like over sixty of them.
Speaker 1: Sixty. Wow, that sounds complicated.
Speaker 2: It sounds it, but there's a logic to it and a big advantage. If you mess up one setting in one file, it's less likely to bring the entire system down. It helps prevent, as the source puts it, the entire proverbial house of cards come crashing down.
Speaker 1: Ah, modularity, that makes sense. So where does the call logic live?
Speaker 2: That's mainly in the dial plant. Every single call, no matter where it comes from or where it's going, goes through the dial plant. It's made up of things called contexts, extensions, and variables.
Speaker 1: Okay, contexts, extensions, variables. Now, the source makes a really big deal about clarifying something here. Extensions versus channels. They're not the same thing.
Speaker 2: Not at all, and yet it's fundamental to under standing asterisk. Extensions are the numbers assigned to devices or features like your desk phone might be extension one oh.
Speaker 1: One, okay, the logical number right.
Speaker 2: Channels on the other end, are the actual connections to those devices, the communication pathways.
Speaker 1: How does that work in practice? Give me an example.
Speaker 2: Sure, you could have one physical phone on your desk, but maybe you set it up so it rings. If someone dials extension one oh one or Extension one oh two or Extension five hundred. Maybe a group put number three different.
Speaker 1: Extensions but only one phone. One physical connection.
Speaker 2: Exactly three logical extensions, but only one channel the connection to your single phone. Extensions are logical channels are physical or virtual connections? Crucial difference?
Speaker 1: Got it? That clarifies things a lot? So the dial plan uses these. Can you walk through a super simple call flow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, basic call comes in first? Maybe you answer the call, then play a message using background like that thank you for calling, Congloma Corp sound.
Speaker 1: File right while listening for exactly.
Speaker 2: Maybe the message says press one hundred for tech support. If the caller presses one hundred, the dial plan uses the dial command. Maybe dialis IP ten to connect them to the phone at extension ten. If they don't press anything and the message finishes, maybe you just hang up. You can also jump between different parts of the dial plan using go to. It's very step by step like.
Speaker 1: Programming a flow chart. Almost I can see how you can build complex menus. Is there a more like script like way to write.
Speaker 2: These there is. Yeah, it's called extensions dot al, the Asterisk extensions language developed by Digitium. The source says it's syntactically much more powerful than the traditional extensions dot com file format.
Speaker 1: AEL sounds like it might appeal more to programmers.
Speaker 2: Definitely if you're used to scripting in say Perl or Python, AEL syntax might feel more natural, more powerful for complex logic.
Speaker 1: Cool. Okay, so you've got your internal system configured. Now, how do you connect this astrisk kingdom to the rest of the world. What protocols does it use?
Speaker 2: Astrisk supports a whole bunch, but for VoIP, the two big ones you'll run into are SIP and IAX two.
Speaker 1: SIP Session Initiation Protocol. That one sounds familiar. It's pretty standard.
Speaker 2: SEP is the most common VoIP protocol. It's an official Internet standard. Pretty much every VoIP phone, every VoIP service provider supports SIP, so.
Speaker 1: That's the one you'd usually use often.
Speaker 2: Yes, but it has its quirks, complexities, especially when you're trying to get calls across different networks through firewalls.
Speaker 1: Well kind of quirks. What goes wrong with CP?
Speaker 2: Well, the main thing is that SIP actually uses two protocols. SIP itself is just for setting up the call, tearing it down, managing the session.
Speaker 1: Okay, the control signals.
Speaker 2: Right, But the actual voice, your conversation that travels over a different protocol called RTP Real Time Transport Protocol.
Speaker 1: Two protocols for one call. Sounds like it could get confusing.
Speaker 2: It can, especially for firewalls and neat routers network address translation. You know the thing most home routers do. They get really confused by CIP. Sometimes the sipart works the call connects, but the RTP part the audio gets blocked, so you get silence. The source calls that the audiopath will not be carrying audio.
Speaker 1: Dead air frustrating any other SIP issues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sometimes GTMF tones the keypad beeps when you press numbers can get messed up. The source says, certain codex mangle the audio enough that the other end doesn't recognize the tones correctly. I think trying to navigate an automated menu and it just doesn't register your keypresses.
Speaker 1: Okay, so SIP is standard but can be tricky with networks and sometimes tones. What's the alternative? You mentioned IAX.
Speaker 2: Two, right, IAX two stands for inter Asterisk Exchange Protocol Version two. It was designed by DIGITM mainly for connecting Asterisk servers.
Speaker 1: Together interasterisk, so it's mostly for Asterisk to Asterisk calls.
Speaker 2: That was the original idea, but its advantages make it useful in other situations too, especially overcoming those network issues as IP has.
Speaker 1: What are the advantages? How does it fix the firewall problem?
Speaker 2: The killer feature of IAX two is that it uses a single port usually EDP port four five sixty nine for everything. Both the call control signaling and the voice data travel over that one port.
Speaker 1: AH, so the firewall only needs to worry about one connection.
Speaker 2: Exactly much simpler. It means IAX two easily works in just about any environment without confusing firewalls or not enabled routers. Big win for network traversal. Plus, it uses smaller binary codes for signaling instead of sip's text based HGTP like commands.
Speaker 1: So uses less bandwidth two a bit less yeah.
Speaker 2: More efficient. So IX two is great for server links or situations where you control both ends and want simpler network setup. SIP is better for compatibility with the wider world.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Choose the right tool for the job. What about connecting to actual old school phone lines, not VoIP For that, you use.
Speaker 2: Those interface cards we mentioned earlier, and they use a PoTA connections. That's just the internal Asterisk name for handling traditional phone hardware.
Speaker 1: Okay, zapata. And there are two types of signals.
Speaker 2: Right, FXO and FXS. You need an FXO port to connect to the phone company's line coming into your building. It expects to receive dial tone and signals from the network.
Speaker 1: Okay. FXO receives from the telco.
Speaker 2: And an FXS port is what you use to connect a standard analog telephone to your Asterisk server. It provides dial tone and signals to the phone, just like the phone company would.
Speaker 1: Got it. FXS sends to the phone. Okay, crucial feature for any PBX voicemail. How does Asterisk candle that? Is it some special hardware?
Speaker 2: Nope, that's the beauty of it. Asterisk just stores voicemails as regular audio files like WAV files or GSM files on the servers hard drive exactly, or a flashcard whatever storage you have. Compared to old pbx's with their expensive proprietary voicemail cards that held like an hour of messages, Yeah, Asterisk running on a PC affords you an amazing amount of storage space. Just add another hard drive if you need more. It's super flexible.
Speaker 1: And using it leaving messages checking them pretty standard.
Speaker 2: There are two main applications. Voice mail is used in the dial plant to like callers leave a message, and voicemail Maine is what you dial into to check your messages. It does all the usual stuff prompts, passwords, saving, deleting, plus cool things like sending you an email when you get a voicemail, I'm.
Speaker 1: Nice with the message attached yep, you can have.
Speaker 2: It attached to the audio file right to the email, or just send a notification. Really handy definitely.
Speaker 1: What other sort of standard PBX features does Asterisk handle easily?
Speaker 2: Well, there's music on hold obviously, you can even set up different classes of music, so callers to sales might hear one thing callers to support here.
Speaker 1: Another customizable hold music okay.
Speaker 2: And conference calls big one. For internal meetings, Asterisk uses an application called meet me lets multiple people dial into a virtual conference room.
Speaker 1: Meet me. Does that need anything special?
Speaker 2: It does? Yeah. It needs a reliable timing source to keep all the audio streams synchronized Usually this comes from one of those Digita hardware cards, or there's a software workaround using a kernel module called ZiT dummy if you don't have the hardware. But yeah, timing is key for clear conferencing.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is all really powerful call handling. But you mentioned ASTROSK can be extended customized. That sounds like where the real power comes in, like that Samurai sword idea. How does that work?
Speaker 2: This is where it gets really interesting. The core mechanism for this is called AGI, the Asterisk Gateway Interface.
Speaker 1: AGI Gateway Interface sounds important.
Speaker 2: It is. It's how Asterisk can talk to external programs or scripts. Now, there's a simple way, using the system command and the dial plan. You can tell ASTs, hey, run this script.
Speaker 1: Okay, seems easy enough.
Speaker 2: It is. But the catch is once Asterisk runs that script using system, it kind of lets go. The source says, Asterisk can no longer interact with the script. It just runs, does its thing, and Asterisk moves on.
Speaker 1: So it's like a one way street. Asterisk tells the script to run, but can't get anything back from it during the call exactly.
Speaker 2: That's where AGI is different. AGI maintains a two way conversation between Asterisk and the external script while the call is active.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, that's the key. How does it manage that two way communication?
Speaker 2: It's actually the source calls. It a powerful yet simple system. It uses standard Unix file handles, std, std out, and cysdr.
Speaker 1: Started input stand output stand air like basic command line stuff.
Speaker 2: Pretty much. Asterisk sends commands and information to the script via the script's stdi in, and the script sends commands and results back to Asterisk via its stdout. It's a universal way for programs to talk.
Speaker 1: So because it uses these standard channels, it.
Speaker 2: Means almost any programming language can be used to write an AGI script. Perl, Php, Python, c Java, shell scripts, whatever can read from standard input and write to standard output can interact with Asterisk during a call.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, that blows things wide open. Your phone system isn't just handling calls anymore. It's suddenly this interactive platform that can run code in response to calls.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It turns your phone system into like an application seer that happens to talk to people.
Speaker 1: Give us an example, soll what that's a cool, maybe unexpected thing you can do with Agi?
Speaker 2: Okay, here's a fun one from the source. Imagine you have one of those scrolling LED signs, like a Beta Brite sign. Yeah, you could write a pearl AGI script. The source gives one called wlsid dot pl that connects to that sign through the server serial port. When a call comes into Asterisk, don't tell me, the AGI script grabs the caller ID information and sends commands to the LED sign to display the caller's name and numbers scrolling across it lass.
Speaker 1: That's brilliant. A physical caller ID display on a big sign right.
Speaker 2: Just needs the Asterisk user to have permission to write to the serial port. But it's a perfect example of bridging the phone system to the physical world via a script. AGI scripts can also do things within the call, like say number to read digits back, say phonetic to spell things out, say time, even set calor rid to change the outgoing caller ID, or set contexts to move the call to a different part of the dial plant. Loads of control.
Speaker 1: That level of interaction is in credible. Is it hard to write these AGI scripts? Dealing with all of back and forth communication?
Speaker 2: We can be a bit fiddly, Yeah, handling all the commands and responses. But there are libraries to help, like Asterisk that AGI for Perol or PHPGI for PHP. These libraries handle a lot of the repetitive stuff, the boiler replate communication.
Speaker 1: Code, so the developer can just focus on the application launchic.
Speaker 2: Exactly once you focus more on developing the application itself. There are even more advanced versions too, like fast IGI FASTGI Yeah, that lets you run your AGI scripts on a completely separate server. They communicate with Asterisk over the network. Good for load balancing or if your scripts need special resources and there's dead AGI.
Speaker 1: Dead Agi sounds ominous tuckles net.
Speaker 2: It just means the AGI script can keep running even after the caller hangs up. Useful for cleanup tasks, logging stuff like that. And EAGI provides direct access to the call's audio stream for processing.
Speaker 1: Okay, the power and flexibility here are just immense, but that usually comes with the flip side right security, Let's pivot to that, the double edged sword. Maybe first, the protocols themselves. How does VoIP handle voice data and what are the vulnerabilities?
Speaker 2: Right? So, your actual voice when it's turned into data, it mainly travels using RTP, the real time protocol. We mentioned that briefly with SIP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the second protocol SIP uses.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and RTP typically runs over UDP, the User Datagram protocol. Now, UDP is different from TCP, which most web traffic uses. UDP is stateless stateless meaning meaning it just sends packets out without checking if they arrived or in what order, like sending postcards instead of a registered letter.
Speaker 1: That sounds unreliable for voice. Wouldn't you lose words?
Speaker 2: You'd think so, but it's actually considered a feature for real time voice. TCP guarantees delivery right here, resends lost packets. Imagine doing that in a conversation. You get these long pauses, then a burst of delayed audio totally unusable.
Speaker 1: Ah. Okay, So UDP's unreliability is better for voice because it prioritizes speed over perfect delivery. A tiny blip is better than a long freeze.
Speaker 2: Precisely, the source notes that with TCP, minor network issues could render a VoIP conversation useless due to retransmissions. UDP just plows ahead, making it feel more immediate, even if a tiny packet gets lost here and there.
Speaker 1: Okay, So RTP over UDP for the voice itself, we talked about SAP versus IX two for signaling. Any security differences there.
Speaker 2: Well, SIPs text based AHCTP like commands make it easier to debug if something's wrong, you can just read the traffic, but they do use a bit more bandwidth. IX two's binary approach is more compact, efficient, and as we said, simpler for firewalls. From a pure security protocol view, both can be encrypted, but their structures differ. Now let's talk actual threats. What can go.
Speaker 1: Wrong right when voice is just data? What kind of attacks do you worry about?
Speaker 2: Well, the classics still apply denial of service DOS or distributed doss.
Speaker 1: D dogs flooding the network to take things offline.
Speaker 2: Yep, just overwhelming the asterisk server or the network connection with junk traffic so legitimate calls can't get it through. VOYIP is just as susceptible as any web server or email server, and because it's real time, it's often more sensitive to these floods. And importantly, the source points out neither integrity checks nor encryption can prevent these attacks. They're just about raw volume.
Speaker 1: So defense against DOS is more about network capacity and filtering, not the voyet protocol itself. What about attacks that try to like redirect calls that.
Speaker 2: Could be DNS poisoning or spoofing. If your VoIP system uses domain names like zip dotmcompany, dot com to find servers, an attacker could poison the DNS records.
Speaker 1: So when your phone tries to reach SIP dotmcompany, dot com, it gets sent to the attackers server instead.
Speaker 2: Exactly, they could intercept calls, record them, maybe try to steal credentials.
Speaker 1: Nasty. And what about attacks inside the local network man in the middle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, MITM attacks are a big risk, especially on switch networks, usually done via ARP spoofing.
Speaker 1: ARP spoofing refreshing my memory. That's tricking devices about MC addresses, right.
Speaker 2: An attacker sends out fake ARP messages basically telling your phone, hey, the server's MC address is my MC address, and telling the server, hey, the phone's MC address is my MAC address.
Speaker 1: So all the traffic between the phone and the server flows through the attacker's machine precisely.
Speaker 2: Tools like ettercap make this disturbingly easy. They can scan the network, find phones and servers, and perform the AARP poisoning automatically, even if your own computer isn't directly involved in the call. An attacker on the same network segment could potentially intercept it, and.
Speaker 1: Those villains we talked about help mitigate this.
Speaker 2: They help a lot. Yeah, if the phones are on a separate VLAN from most user machines, it makes it much harder for a casual attacker to even see the VOP traffic to begin with, let alone spoof.
Speaker 1: ARP for it. Okay, are there other VoIP specific attacks mentioned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a few others. Rogue VoIP endpoint. Basically, an attacker finds an unused network jack, plugs in their own VoIP device and tries to register it on your system, maybe using stolen.
Speaker 1: Credentials sneaking onto the network.
Speaker 2: Right. Then there's registration hijacking. An attacker pretends to be your phone and tells the server, Hey, I'm extension one on one now rerouting your calls to them. Proxy impersonation tricks your phone into talking to a fake server, and the big one financially toll fraud.
Speaker 1: Toll fraud making expensive calls on someone else's.
Speaker 2: Dime exactly, hacking into the asterisk server itself, maybe through a week password or vulnerability, and then using it to make thousands of dollars worth of calls to international numbers or premium rate lines that can bankrupt a small company fast.
Speaker 1: Okay, lots of potential vulnerabilities. Now let's slip that Samurai sword again. How can Asterisk itself be used for security or maybe an auditing leveraging some of these network behaviors right.
Speaker 2: Using the tool offensively or at least proactively. One example given is combining Asterisk with motion detection software.
Speaker 1: Motion detection like security cameras.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's open source software called Motion that watches video feeds from movement. You could configure Motion so that if it detects movement inside your house when you're away.
Speaker 1: It triggers an Asteris action exactly.
Speaker 2: It could run a script that tells Asterisk to call your cell phone, maybe even use AGI to play a specific warning message.
Speaker 1: Intruder alert playing on yourself.
Speaker 2: Could be and you could even try to spoof the caller ID to something like security camera nine nine zero zero zero zero one, though the source notes the name part security camera often gets dropped by the public phone network. They just look up the number. Still a cool integration.
Speaker 1: That is clever. Okay, what about something that sounds totally retro modems? Why on earth would you use a modem with foe IP.
Speaker 2: It sounds weird, right, but modems are still out there, coinasale terminals tvo boxes needing to call home some credit card equipment. They still use dial up and for security auditors. Modems are key for war dialing.
Speaker 1: Ah. War dialing. Now, that sounds familiar straight out of the movie Wargames, isn't it.
Speaker 2: The name got popularized by the movie in nineteen eighty four, But the actual practice, sometimes called demon dialing, is older. Is just systematically dialing phone numbers and arrange to see what answers, looking for modems, fax machines, maybe even other PBXs or voicemail.
Speaker 1: Systems, okay, scanning for open doors on the phone network. Why is doing this via VIP better than just using a regular phone line and a modem?
Speaker 2: Ah Several reasons. Big one annemity or at least obfuscation. With VoIP, you can often mask where I'm coming.
Speaker 1: From, spoofing the caller ID exactly.
Speaker 2: The source gives an example where prefixing a dial number with five tells their VoIP provider okay, spoof the caller ID to whatever I specify. This also messes up the A and I information that's automatic number identification the billing number basically, so it's harder.
Speaker 1: To trace back glover any other tricks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's a neat one. Spoof your telephone number as the number from an own fax machine.
Speaker 1: Why would you do that.
Speaker 2: To deter callbacks? If someone sees the mysted call and tries to call back, they just get a fax screeching tone. Less likely to investigate further loops.
Speaker 1: That's devs Okay, what was that other term? Backspoofing?
Speaker 2: Right, backspoofing, This is slightly different. You spoof a phone number to yourself, so you make a call from number X to number X. When the call hits, the phone company systems their caller ID named database CNAM looks up number X and displays the registered owner's name beck.
Speaker 1: You the caller, so you can use it to figure out who owns a particular number potentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, uses the phone company's own database against itself in a way. And of course, Asterisk makes recording all these calls easy using the monitor command of the dial plan. But a big caveat here.
Speaker 1: Let me guess legalities.
Speaker 2: Absolutely the source stresses. Check your local laws regarding recording telephone calls. Consent requirements very hugely right, So is.
Speaker 1: There special software for doing this kind of OIP war dialing.
Speaker 2: There is an open source tool called i WAR Intelligent War Dealer i WAR.
Speaker 1: What makes it special It's.
Speaker 2: Designed for war dialing, so it supports things like random or sequential dialing, trying to detect modem tones, automatically blacklists of numbers not to call. But the key thing is it has native iax TOOIP support.
Speaker 1: Ah, so it can talk directly using that asterisk friendly protocol exactly.
Speaker 2: It acts as a full featured VoIP client designed specifically for dialing lots of numbers. The source shows an example command like i war pre dial five MP nine to four SAMUS five five five fifty range one than eleven hundred.
Speaker 1: So that would dial nine oh four five five five five thousand, one thousand and one, one thousand and two up to eleven hundred using that five poot prefix for.
Speaker 2: Spoofing precisely very targeted scanning.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is clearly powerful stuff, bordering on well packing tools depending on intent. What are the absolute must know legal points and security tips here?
Speaker 2: Number one repeated multiple times. Always always check your local and state laws before doing any kind of war dialing or security scanning, and critically get prior permission from the target on authorized scanning is illegal in most places. Don't do without explicit written permission.
Speaker 1: Permission is key, got it? And for securing your own Asterisk system against these kinds of things.
Speaker 2: Remember those config files, passwords in them are usually plain text oh right, not encrypted nope, So file permissions are critical. Make sure those config files are readable only by the user that Asterrisk is running under, usually a dedicated as Risk user. Don't let just anyone read them.
Speaker 1: Limit access. What else?
Speaker 2: If you have remote phones connecting you over the internet, home users, branch offices, use encryption SRTP for the voice stream. Maybe wrap everything in an IP six tunnel or use OpenVPN encrypt.
Speaker 1: That traffic, protect data and transit.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and back to the network level vlands, set them up properly, isolate your voice network. That's your best defense against eavesdropping and ARP spoofing on your local network.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, what an incredible journey through Asterisk. We've really gone from its sort of humble open source roots with Mark Spencer right.
Speaker 2: Just needing a cheaper PVX.
Speaker 1: All the way to this incredibly powerful flexible tool that Samurai sord analogy feels pretty accurate now. It can build amazing communications systems, but you also need to understand its power and potential dangers.
Speaker 2: It definitely requires careful handling knowledge. We've seen how you build it, configure it with those contexts and extensions, extend it with AGI connected with sep or iax.
Speaker 1: Two, and how to think about securing it from file permissions to vilans to encryption. It really empowers people and companies to control their own comms infrastructure in a way that just wasn't possible before. Unprecedented control really, So looking forward, as technology keeps racing ahead, you know, AI, Internet of Things, everything's getting connected, our reliance on these communication systems is only going to grow.
Speaker 2: Right, Absolutely, they're becoming even more critical infrastructure.
Speaker 1: So what new vulnerabilities might pop up as voyip gets tangled up with AI, with IoT devices, and maybe more optimistically, how will open source tools like asterisk keep evolving to let people innovate but also defend themselves in that that increasingly complex landscape.
Speaker 2: That's the big question, isn't it. Constant evolution and constant adaptation needed.
Speaker 1: Definitely something to chew on as you navigate your own digital world,