Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to a brand new episode of Second Take Cinema, coming at you from the Glorious Impala Film's headquarters in sunny South End on Sea. I'm your host, Jamie Evans, joined as always by mister Rory Jocelyn.
Speaker 2: Slamming in the back of your dragula, my friend, and today we.
Speaker 1: Are going back to a film that was beloved by me as a teenager. It is our second trip to zombie Town as we review mister Rob Zombies The Devil's Rejects. The Devil's Rejects is a two thousand and five American black comedy horror film, written, produced, and directed by Rob Zombie. It is the sequel to his two thousand and three movie House of a Thousand Corpses, and it was made for a budget of seven million dollars and it went on to gross twenty point nine million dollars at the box office. It stars Sid Hague, Bill Moseley, Sherry Moon, Zombie, Ken Forrey, Matthew McCrory, and William Forsyth, along with Leslie Easterbrook. Over On Rotten Tomorrow's the film has an approval rating of fifty four percent. The site's consensus reads Zombie has improved as a filmmaker since House of a Thousand Corpses and will please fans of the genre, but beware the horror is nasty, relentless, and sadistic. Critic Roger Ebert enjoyed the film and gave it three out of four stars. He wrote, there is actually some good writing and acting going on here, if you can step back from the violent material enough to see it.
Speaker 3: Later.
Speaker 1: In his two thousand and six review for the horror movie The Hills of Eyes, Ebert referenced The Devil's Rejects, writing, I received some appalled feedback when I praised Rob Zombies the Devil's Rejects, but I admired two things about it that were absent from the Hills of Eyes. One it desired to entertain and not merely to sicken, and two, its depraved killers were individuals with personalities, histories, and motives. In his review for Rolling Stone, Peter Travis gave The Devil's Rejects three out of four stars and wrote, let's hear it for the Southern Fried soundtrack from Buck Owens as Satan's Got to get Along Without Me to Lynard Skynard's free Bird, playing over the blood soaked finale, which manages to wed the Wild Bunch to Thelma and Louise. Richard Roper gave the film a thumbs up for being successful at its goal to be the sickest, most twisted, and most deranged movie at that point of the year two thousand and five. In her review for The New York Times, Dana Stevens wrote that the film is a trumploy experiment in deliberately retro filmmaking. It looks sensational, but there is a curious emptiness at its core. Entertainment Weekly gave the film a C plus rating and wrote, Zombie's characters are, to put it, mildly underdeveloped.
Speaker 3: Robert K.
Speaker 1: Elder of the Chicago Tribune disliked the film, writing, despite decades of soaking in bloody classics such as the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and I Spit on Your Grave, Zombie didn't absorb any of the underlying social tension or heart in those films. He's no collage artist of influencers, like Quentin Tarantino, crafting his movies from childhood influencers. Rejects plays more like a junkyard of homages. Strewn together and lost amongst inept cops, gaping plot holes, and buzzard ready dialogue.
Speaker 2: That is interesting. I'll comment a little bit more on that later, but there's a few things that I do actually kind of agree with him on with that. Horror.
Speaker 1: Author Stephen King rated The Devil's Rejects the ninth best movie of two thousand and five and wrote, no redeeming social merit, perfect, seventy Sea Graine picture, cheesy glow. This must be what Quentin Tarantino meant when he did those silly.
Speaker 3: Kill Bill pictures.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't like kill Bill either, to be fair, not.
Speaker 2: A big fan of kill Bill, but those were clearly more inspired by martial art movies than this was. This was not a martial arts extravaganza by any stretch.
Speaker 1: And lastly, James Barrardinelli was very negative, giving The Devil's Rejects only half a star out of four and called it a vile, reprehensible movie, saying the action was more formula than plot. He described the dialogue as a pastiche at least I think that's the intention of the kind of bloodthirsty, overripe lines found in a genre of films from the nineteen seventies about outcasts who defy society.
Speaker 3: By destroying it.
Speaker 1: He was extremely critical of the acting, directing, and the production values, with an ending that was a cataclysmic misfire, an overall was not engaging cinema. In twenty fifteen, Taste of Cinema ranked the film twenty third amongst the thirty great psychopath movies that are worth your time. It also won several awards, including the following awards at the Fangoria chainsaw Awards, which you know, very prestigious. The Angoria chainsaw Awards, it won Best Wide Release Film, Scariest Film, Best Screenplay, Best Actor for Sid Hague, Best Reporting Actor for William Forsyth, Best Supporting Actress for Leslie Easterbrook, Best Score for Tyler Bates, Relationship from Hell for Bill Mosley, and Cherry Moon, Zombie, and it was nominated for Best One Liner from Bill Moseley. But it doesn't tell you what the one liner was.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, that's stupid. They should tell you what the one line is.
Speaker 1: It also won a couple of Scream Awards, including Best Horror Movie and Most Vile Villain. Won collectively for all the members of the Firefly family.
Speaker 2: And that was it for.
Speaker 1: Awards, so I put Devil's Rejects into the list. I first saw this movie around the time it came out on DVD, about when I was still quite young getting into horror movies old.
Speaker 3: I wasn't that young.
Speaker 1: I was a fan of Rob Zombie's music and when I heard and I've seen all of these music videos. I actually have the deluxe edition of hell Billy Deluxe, his first solo album.
Speaker 2: When did you first hear Rob Zombie's music?
Speaker 1: I tell you that story as well. Actually I first heard Rob Zombie in the movie Bride of Chucky. The opening theme is the song Living Dead Girl. Okay, and I was like, this is a great fucking thing. And he got a credit that you do not see that often, like usually music credits right at the end of the credits. In the opening titles of Bride of Chucky, one of the you know when it's coming up, like the stars and the director, it comes up opening song Living Dead Girl by Rob Zombie.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: Who he bribed or what to get that credit, but Baby gave him to him cheaper so that he could get his name out there. Because that would have been the ninety Yeah, that would be in the same year he went solo, right, So I'm wondering if that's also just before his film career.
Speaker 1: Is before that's just before it because he actually shot House one thousand Corps says in the late nineties, like ninety nine, but it didn't come out until two thousands.
Speaker 2: It might have been a smart move because then he's already got a credit, yeah, on a big film. Yeah, so you may have either didn't done it for free or given them to cheap and gone just put my name in the credit. That's all I want.
Speaker 3: Bride of Chucky shaped a lot of my taste.
Speaker 2: It's a great it's a great film.
Speaker 1: Bride of Chucky's great. It's how I discovered Rob Zombie. And it's also how I discovered Alice Cooper because I obviously started listening to Rob Zombie and then in almost every interview Rob Zombie's ever given, he's like, well, my biggest influence is Alice.
Speaker 2: Cooper, Like, who's this Alice Cooper chick? And then you look it up and you're like, that's not a chick, but he's fucking awesome. Yeah, And that's how I got into Alice Cooper and Rob Zombie, and clearly I've never matured as an adult because my music taste is still what I listened to when I was fourteen years old. Yeah but sorry, but that era of metal, new metal, et cetera. I still really enjoy it. It's a lot of it's cheese, as is Rob Zombie, but it's so good. Yeah, it just it just drives, and that's what I like about it.
Speaker 1: But on my copy of hell Billy Deluxe, there is a second there's a DVD that has music videos for every song, all directed by Rob Zombie, and I was like, Oh, these are weird. And clearly this guy loves horror movies because he's all like footage from old black and white horror films cut into the videos. Okay, and have you ever seen the music video four Living Dead Girl?
Speaker 2: No? I have not.
Speaker 3: Oh you should watch it.
Speaker 1: It's modeled on a nineteen twenties German expressionist movie called The Cabinet of Doctor Kaligari, which I have seen. I believe it's free to watch on YouTube. That's a German expressionist film. So it's one of those films where it kind of is rejecting realism. Right, It's a film that is like, no, we're not gonna make the shots look realistic. We're not gonna make the sets look realistic. Everything's gonna be weird angles. And I imagine I don't know this for a fact, but I would be willing to bet money that Cabinet of Dr Calgary was one of Tim Burton's biggest influencers, right, because a lot of that traditional Burton look really does come.
Speaker 3: From Cabinet of Doctor Kaligari.
Speaker 1: Interesting anyway, I heard he'd gone into making films and The Devil's Rejects came out and I was like, Hey, this is rob Zombie and that's a great title. I'm gonna buy this film and see what it is. And I don't know what I was expecting. It was definitely, at the time, the most extreme movie I'd ever seen. And I remember watching it and I watched it with my dad and that was a bit of a delightful experience.
Speaker 3: And then I.
Speaker 1: Got a little low key obsessed with this movie for a few months and watched it again and again and again. Because I watching it back as an adult, I can see that it's not as clever as I thought it was at the time, but when I was fourteen, the fact that the villains start off as these heinous, horrible, utter, fucking psychopath killers and by the end of the film, I was crying because they die spoiler alert, Oh.
Speaker 2: Well they don't because there's a sequel.
Speaker 1: But yeah, there wasn't the time and this shouldn't be and to pretend it doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: I was like, how has he done that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How has he made me care about these monsters? And I just watched it over and over again.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting, because I'll be honest, I never came to care about them. There were certainly Sid Hagues's character, Captain Spaulding, I came to enjoy, but I never I never gave a singular shit about Otis. I thought he was scummy and Sherry Moan Zombie's baby was an interesting different type of killer. I thought that was interesting, a little undercooked, maybe simply because it was sharing so much screen time with other serial killers. But yeah, Otis never really seemed to be enjoying himself, and I know that's that's probably just like, well, that's the way he kills is different, you know, Whereas Captain Spaulding clearly enjoys the way he kills or just screws over society for his own humor. But the I never came to really like them. But what I really did like in this film. We'll cover this later because it's I think for me, I think it's the most interesting part of the film is the downfall of Sheriff Wydell william Ford Syth's. Yeah, he is incredible in terms of the essentially it's breaking bad before breaking bad, but within a scope of a film and a cop because he starts off he's got to get these guys for murdering his brother, and then by the end he is one of them. Realistically, he may be getting revenge on them, but he is no better and one brother. Yeah, and I really liked that, and that was a social commentary I enjoyed, and I thought was again somewhat undercooked because it was the film was trying to do I think too much and was a little unfocused. Will come to that more over time. I am going to give a counterpoint to how I discovered Rob Zombie, because Jamie has given his account. He was watching horror films and he was listening to really grotty metal Rory first picked up on Rob Zombie. I probably heard him in a film first, but I didn't recognize it until later. The Matrix, Yeah, but I didn't recognize it till later. That's not where I picked up Rob Zombie. Where I picked up Rob Zombie was on the Dreamcast game jet Set Radio for fuck Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is your jet Set Radio?
Speaker 2: He's only in the American version the final battle in that in that game where you've got to tag the DJ artists about bald head Uh. In the Japanese and the European versions, you get a song by Hideki Naganuma which has kind of got this villainous turn to it. In the American only Dreamcast release, and this isn't on any of the digital releases that you can get. Now, that battle is played to Rob's Zombie, and it kind of stands out, I think, because I'm fairly certain you play that song plays on that bit, because it stands out because the rest of the game is mostly sort of breakbea kind of techno dance, and then you get to this bit and he's meant to be playing the Demonic Record, so and then all of a sudden you've got dragular play. It's dragular, right, and you're just like, yeah, this this counts yeah, because everyone else you're playing like dancy hip hop. Then you get to the Demon album and it's dragular, You're like yes, yes. So that's where I first picked up on him. Got the album from there. Obviously he's been his music's been and other stuff. But I really got in because I was into heavy metal and new metal at the time as well. I wasn't just a nerd. I was a nerd with metal. But yeah, that's how I first got into Rob Zombie because for some reason, a lot of how I get into stuff is through games, and I don't really get why.
Speaker 3: But it happens.
Speaker 1: I remember being appointed as I got older, because, like I said, I really liked this film at fourteen, and I remember being like, Rob Zombie is going to be like the next great horror filmmaking Spielberk of horror.
Speaker 2: Yeah, robs up.
Speaker 1: And I went back and watched House of one Thousand Corpses, which is good.
Speaker 3: It's not as good as Devil's Rejects, the first one. That's the first one. It's the first film we ever made.
Speaker 1: It's very unfocused in my opinion, and there's not nearly enough plot to make it interesting, but it very much is his version of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which also has very little plot. Controversial opinion that will probably get me murdered by the film audience. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, in my opinion, is one of those rare films where the remake is better.
Speaker 3: Than the original.
Speaker 1: There's not too much in it, except the remake feels like it has actual protagonists and.
Speaker 2: An actual plot as thin as the plot is. Plus, it's got Ermi in it. Who Ermi?
Speaker 1: He's dead now, but for a little while, anytime you had an angry sergeant in a military film, it was him. He's most famous for Full Metal Jacket.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He's the guy's like you are worthless?
Speaker 2: You are? Yeah, I don't know the line. I think he was an actual military guy. That's why he got the role, because he won't scream for longer than anything they could find.
Speaker 3: He is leather Facer's dad in the.
Speaker 2: Remake, right, Okay, And he's really he's really good.
Speaker 1: He's really intimidating and sadistic. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre as much ground as it broke. It's just people running around screaming right for like ninety straight minutes.
Speaker 2: I know what you mean.
Speaker 3: There was.
Speaker 2: I'll probably keep on using the same references, but there was a first city has to say, Yeah, see JB does. Is that what I'm saying?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: A Japanese sort of cyberpunk horror movie which has good elements, but there's there's at least one of those storylines where it's just someone screaming and eventually you just get there and go shut up, just shut up.
Speaker 1: You end up muting the TV and just watching the images, which, to be fair, I was always told when I was at UNI learning filmmaking. I was always told, you know, it's a good film. What you should aim for when you're trying to make a good film is that someone could watch it with no sound and still fully understand what's happening. Sure, and I was like, oh, that's an interesting way of thinking about that. Anyway, as Rob Zombie's career went on, it's safe to say he was not the greatest horror filmmaker.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think he redeemed himself with the Monsters.
Speaker 3: No, he did not.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen that either. I'm just joking. His career has really taking a nose dive, isn't it.
Speaker 1: He did an animated film called The Haunted World of l Superbisto, which I do like. It's definitely not to everyone's taste. It's very back Ali Grotty. It's all just gore jokes and sex jokes and.
Speaker 2: Stuff that does seem to be even from this, that does seem to be his level of humor. Yes, there's a lot of stuff in this I didn't like that was clearly meant to be played as you know, isn't this kind of funny?
Speaker 1: And I'm just like then, he did a few of the films that I basically fell off watching his films because the Halloween films really tanked him. For me, they're not good. And obviously, as you've eluded Tomakno through his whole filmography, his latest film is The Monsters, which I think it's fairly well documented on the internet how that went.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I haven't seen that one, but I've seen the documentation of how that went. It's not a not a revered film, let's put it that way. No, So let's talk about the Devil's Rejects. Yeah, let's talk about because I think the storyline is going to be the most interesting part. So let's start on some of the bits that I think will be that I'd like to get out the way visual look, it's not a good looking film, but that fits the tone. I think it looks great for what it is. It has that seventies kind of what am I thinking of grind Grindhouse. Yes, it's got that, and you know what he slams into that really well, there's a couple of points and I wish it was a little more consistent, actually, but I can understand that maybe it was just little bits where it was lampooning, where he does weird edits and like. So for the most part, it will be edited and scenes will cut together in a very linear, normal fashion, and then all of a sudden he does a scene where suddenly like a box will slam down and then like almost be driven off the screen by another box for the next scene to come in. So it's more like an animated crossover between two scenes, which again kind of matches in with Grindhouse, where you had a lot of these edgy directors going yeah, let's just do this because it will look more.
Speaker 1: Fun, or literally damaged bits of film where they'd had to just Yeah, there used to be a scene in there and it's not there anymore, so they've just stitched two bits together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it doesn't actually flow properly.
Speaker 2: No, but you know what, it works in this film. And actually I think I would have liked to have seen a little bit more of it, just so it's a bit more consistent. But I'm glad they didn't overuse it as well. At the same time, just a few extra times of it happening would have been enough, like two or three. But yeah, I thought that was really cool. So I think esthetically, you're not looking at a gorgeous film. It's not gonna be something you show off. But it suits its tone perfectly and so on that. You know, big congrats I think on that, because that is a very positive thing I think on this film. Musicality is great.
Speaker 1: I love the soundtrack. The soundtrack to this film is golden. It's all like American country rock. From One More Silver Dollar by the Alman Brothers band. You've got that one where it's like I falled around and fell in love. That's a good one. Rocky Mountain Way by I think Joe Walsh, that's by and obviously it ends with free Bird, which I do still think is one of the greatest uses of music in a film. Is that the fact that nearly the entire song plays because he just takes that moment, which is not something you would usually say about robs On because he's usually a bit more of a kinetic director. Yeah, he just goes, no, fuck it, this bit's going to be slow as fuck. The film is literally like they're all moving in sort of half speed.
Speaker 3: And then it wished.
Speaker 2: He'd gotten slow speed film for that, because it's it does that thing when you have normal film and slow it down, it gets a bit jerky, And yeah, I don't like that so much, right, but again, it probably fits the era that he was going for, making it more seventies grindhouse, where getting different speeds of camera film wasn't the norm and the budget.
Speaker 3: Was not that high.
Speaker 1: I know they had to film this in only thirty days. Wow, And right down to the fact that the moment the cart speeds up lines up perfectly the bit where the song does.
Speaker 3: Their do do do you know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it is one of the best uses of that song ever. And I remember really liking this ending when I was.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest, the ending works because, yeah, it having a sequel to it kind of ruins it because it feels like them going out on their own terms. Then surviving it destroys that ending.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, because I read an interview where Rob Zombie said his basic ethos with this film was when he did have one thousand corpses, he was essentially yes, doing a Texas chainsaw film.
Speaker 3: With this one.
Speaker 1: He basically said, I don't want to do as over to horror as I did there.
Speaker 3: I want to do.
Speaker 1: A grind house western of a bad sheriff who's gone to the dark side, chasing even worse outlaws. Well it fits that. It fits that they absolutely had to die at the end. Yes, there is no way. I don't think you could have ended this whither and then the cowboy rides off into the sun, because that works when the cowboy is good, like in Shane or something like that, or.
Speaker 2: At least ambiguous, like Clint Eastwood in something like The Good, The Band The Ugly. Yeah, he's not really good, but he's good.
Speaker 1: But we've literally seen these three people rape and murder countless people. They can't survive the movie. It would just be the most depressing ending.
Speaker 2: Ever, Yeah, so okay, so so okay, let's talk about the actual story, because we've both said it feels a bit unfocused, and there's things that we like and there's things we don't like. So the first thing I want to mention for anyone who's not aware the main was that they flywheels.
Speaker 3: They were called firefly.
Speaker 2: Fireflies, the Firefly family. Each of them are named after a different Groucho Marks character. That becomes a plot point in this while they're trying to hunt them down, realizing that Captain Spaulding is Groucho Marks from Animal Crackers Babies. Baby is not the name of a Groucho Marks character, but they use the rest of her name kind of connects to it. Is it baby firefly they just called or something? So it's only the firefly bit that really connounts. And otis is otis be Drift.
Speaker 1: Otis speed Drift is rufus firefly who dies right at the beginning, Yes, mother Firefly, be rufus t firefly, mother fire mother firefly who was the one who he stabbed to death in the prison.
Speaker 2: He was never called mother.
Speaker 1: No, there was a scene. It's actually when your pizza arrived so you missed it. There's a bit where he reads out all the aliases she's ever gone under right. I'm guessing one of them would have been a Marx Brothers character, probably not a Groucho character, because obviously they're all women's name.
Speaker 2: I don't know because yeah, yeah, maybe, but.
Speaker 3: I can't remember what they were.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, the problem I have with that because I thought it was a great idea, I think it is horrendously underutilized because they raised the idea. Obviously they're all named after Groucho Marks in some way. They raise it in the film. The investigators like, well, why they're named after grautcha Mars characters? What's the connection here? And then it's just you're like, hang on a minute, like, so something we you said to me during the film which did connect with Groucho Marks in a kind of a sick way is sid Haiges's character Captain Spaulding. He doesn't really enjoy the torture or any of the sexual stuff. He even though he is a killer and he is a sick, twisted bastard, he doesn't enjoy the sicker stuff. His main thing is he likes to screw people over and upset them in a similar way that Groucho Marx's characters always were. And I love I love the Marx Brothers, so I'm kind of a big nerd on that.
Speaker 3: Bigger nerd as the film critic they bring in in this film.
Speaker 2: Nearly I understood. I remembered most of what he said.
Speaker 3: Are you angry about Elvis Presley?
Speaker 2: No, my mum will be though, because she loves Elvis. Yeah, yeah, no. I've even got a big DVD box set of behind the scenes and deleted footage and stuff from old radio shows and stuff about the Marks. I love the Marx Brothers, so a massive nerd on that. Anyway. The point is is Marx Brothers gratual Mark's character, and all the Marx Brother's characters, really their roles were defined as they would go into high society and really ruin it for all the people who had the money. They never screw over the poor, they never screw over immigrants, they never screw over anyone else. It's always the rich, the powerful, the wealthy, and that you know, they attack the hoy Paloy. Captain Sporting in this has that same vibe in that he doesn't ruin the Hoy ploy he does go for anyone, children, parents, anyone. But the differences is it he's getting the enjoyment of ruining something in society rather than just doing it for doing its sake. So he seems to really get off on breaking social protocol, which does fit with groucho marks. But then when you look at Baby, and certainly when you look at Otis, there is nothing groucho marks in those characters. There is no attempt at just trying to break a bit of you know, the social morese or the things you're supposed to do. Instead, like Otis in particular, there's bits where he essentially sexually assaults a woman and while he's doing that, he's he may or may not be enjoying it. He's kind of getting off on the fact that she's not liking it. Yeah, Otis's characters is just a psycho and the fact he's called Otis for Otis b Driftwood is meaningless and it never comes up as a story point. So I'm really disappointed that they came up with a brilliant thing that references something awesome in film history, and it's it's mentioned and never paid off.
Speaker 1: To be fair, I don't think it was ever meant to be as deep as that. It's nice that you've made that connection. I think it literally is just robs Onbi's a film nerd, and he was like, what can be the clue that clues in the sheriff on what to look for? Fuck it, I'm going to basically in House of a thousand corpses. He'd already given them all Marx Brothers names, just to reference the Marx Brothers because he likes the Marx Brothers, and then I think he just kind of went, oh cool, yeah, if he picks up on the Marx connection.
Speaker 2: But I thought it would definitely would have been more interesting had they instead of all of them being named after Grout show. If you're going to do a bastardization of the Marx Brothers, fine, like a psychotic Marx Brothers, give them all. So sid Hay definitely sits with Captain Spording.
Speaker 3: You keep him there.
Speaker 2: You give Otis the surname Russell, the name of Rusty, which is the name of a Harpo Marx character, and you give him not necessarily the mute thing, but you give him the more physical elements that Harpo brought because Harpa was the physicality, clown. So you give him more of those elements, and he kind of has a little of that in this but it's not enough to mirror what you would expect from Harpo. You make him quieter, you make him more expressive, you make him a bit more of a pratfaller who manages to win by luck as much as anything else. With Baby, you make her Chico, you know, call her Aravelli or something like that, and I am a Manuela Revelli. You give her one of those names, and then you make her the one who's ditsy, who's a bit dumb. But because she's so ditsy and dumb, she complains a lot in this film, so she kind of matches that a little bit. But she's able to basically outthink or out maneuver Otis and Captain Spalding just by the fact that she's so dumb they can't actually outthink her. And you give them those similar traits, and then you watch how that bastardization of the Marx brothers would be unleashed on a society where instead of doing quote unquote the right wrong thing where they're annoying the HOYPELOI, instead they're attacking society at its core. I think if you've given them that, it would have been way more interesting, and not just for me. I think even if you didn't know the Marx brothers, it would have made those characters a little bit more satisfying. It certainly would have helped a lot more when you get to the point and towards the end where the cop has turned and has become one of them, you could give him a name like Zeppo, one of Zeppo's characters, because he's like the shun deer Marx brother who's come back almost and he mrks that he's trying to mrk them, and you could you could really do a good allegory with that. And it feels so undercooked.
Speaker 1: Yeah see, I really like because I this film feels and I never noticed this when I was a teenager. I feel like this film is two films stuck together now, which I never really did when I was a teenager. But it really feels like you don't really need any of the stuff at the motel.
Speaker 2: The hotel was really stupid and egregious, and it slows the whole film down, and those characters don't come into themselves until they all get together obviously, because the hotel section ends with Captain Spaulding meeting up with Otis and baby, and it's like twenty twenty five minutes long, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's only when all three of them are together that I think any of their redeeming qualities start to come out, where you start to see they actually are this kind of weird plan together family. You get the scene where their baby and Captain Spoulden want to stop for ice cream and notices like, there's no fucking ice cream in your fucking future, and then.
Speaker 3: It immediately cuts to the meeting.
Speaker 2: That was a cut. That was a brilliant cut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I like the dynamic they built in of the impression I get from Captain Spolding is he he is someone who doesn't mind being a criminal. He's basically someone who his goals will always come first and he will do whatever it takes to get those goals. But he doesn't enjoy killing for killing sake.
Speaker 2: No, because he doesn't kill the mom. He does brainer a bit, yeah, and he doesn't kill the kid, No, he absolutely could do.
Speaker 3: He looks disgusted when Otis.
Speaker 2: Is he gets offended by people don't like clouds as well. I love the scene where he's like, aren't we fucking funny? If you don't have a good reason why you hate clowns, I'm going to come back here and kill your whole fucking family. But he's disgusted when Otis is literally like peeled that guy a banjo's face off and he's tormenting his girlfriend with it, He's just like, get it over with killer, and actually, obtusly you won't know this, but in the first House one thousand corpses, the only characters, if I'm remembering right, it's been a while since i've seen it, the only characters Captain Spaulding kills.
Speaker 3: Are a group of robbers who try to rob his store, right, and he kills them because they're trying to rob him.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's someone who enjoys the killing the way Baby and Otis do. No. In fact, it seems to be Otis is the one who really enjoys the killing because baby Baby likes playing mind games and she The only person I think she actually kills is the mum who kidnap throws the knife. Technically you could consider that self defense. Now, don't get me wrong, it's only self defense in a scenario she created by you know, holding them up, keeping him in the room, and thing to murder.
Speaker 3: I don't think it. But interesting legal points.
Speaker 1: She knows that the gun isn't loaded, so I don't think it counts as self defense. No, if you know the gun isn't loaded, then you're not defending yourself from anything.
Speaker 2: No. True. But then she knows that the mum is willing to kill her because the mum does pull the trigger. Oh no, she doesn't. Does she know that it's the daughter grabs the gun and then pulls the trigger.
Speaker 3: She pulls the trigger off. Yeah, but I guess.
Speaker 2: It's But then and how would.
Speaker 1: You prove in a court of law if someone knew whether a gun was loaded or not. But no, And I like that dynamic you get off and it kind of in the first one, so Otis is not actually blood related to the family.
Speaker 3: He's like a drifter that they took.
Speaker 2: In baby related to captain's.
Speaker 1: That's really funny because you don't know that in the first one, right, In the first one, you don't know she's his daughter.
Speaker 2: Right, and she don't look anything.
Speaker 1: Like No, And I think that was added in this one to be fair, to give them a bit of sympathy maybe, but he must have had sex with Mother Firefly at some point, because she is baby's mum. Yeah, I must admit having noticed now how much the two films, the two halves of the film don't quite line up. A little part of me does wish you actually just either scrap the motel a bit completely or really shorten it down so it's like ten minutes yeah, and then spend more time on the slow descent of the sheriff into madness yeah, rather than it or being crammed into the back end.
Speaker 2: While we're focused on the motel. We don't get much of anything from the Sheriff. We get a couple of scenes, but they're very short, and they're mostly just like aha moment and then done. There's nothing that really moves the story along that couldn't have been done better as part of the chase. And also, yeah, you're right, I think having it more of it because he gets to a point where they're still at the motel, no one fuck knows they're there. They're murdering people, but no one knows that's even happening. And he gets the point where he murders mother in the cell, and you're like, it would have been better if he was getting so frustrated that a chase not working. He keeps on chasing, they keep getting away. He keeps on chasing, they keep getting away, and again, using the Marx Brothers would have been genius for that, because the Marx Brothers managed to get out of everything in their films. You give them that luck almost element of being able to escape anything like a fucking cartoon, and he just goes so ballistic. They're nice to get back at them.
Speaker 1: Only in the film, as is, the only thing that really sends him over the edge is he has a nightmare about.
Speaker 3: His dead brother. Yeah, where he's dead. Brother's like, oh cost they killed.
Speaker 1: Me here my ghost is haunting their house forever. The other thing that's a bit like that's a bit of don't get me wrong, it's his second ever film. I think it's damn good for a second ever film. Yeah, but it is one of those things where you're a bit like, I kind of wish we had less of just people sitting in a hotel room screaming, someone shoving a gun down a woman's pants.
Speaker 2: I didn't need that much And that was just shock value as well, because he's the thing liked with things like that if they have an impact on the story and it brings something back later. I don't like it, but fine. The problem with this film is that all the people that they torture, kill, et cetera in the motel, their only bit is the motel, and it feels like a very short intro to another film that we never end up getting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do wonder if some of the inclusion is maybe just a byproduct of the time the film was made, because it's the height of the torture porn aesthetic, so this is around the time you were getting sow Hostile.
Speaker 2: It just comes to this idea though didn't where. It feels unfocused where and it also feels like he had a good idea, but he didn't think enough of it through at the script level. So instead he's just like, well, I like the idea of this torture porn thing because it fits in with what's happening now, and I like the idea of this deeper story about you know, a sheriff turning into madness and becoming the people he's trying to kill. I'll stick them together. But there's no reason for these two hold. The other problem I have with it as well is that not so much Baby and definitely not so much Captain Spaulding, but Otis does so much in this Like even if he I know this is gonna sound weird and maybe it's a bit sexist, but if he only murdered the two guys I would have felt more sympathy for them overall at the end. But the tortuary, the stuff he does to the mum with the gun and the pants, and I'm like, I'm sorry, Well, I'm not sorry. I don't feel for you when like I felt for Captain Spaorling and Baby a little bit. They're both psychos. They both need to die, but at least they seem to be having fun in some way, or it's not the same. Once you cross that.
Speaker 1: Line, it almost feels like they're just malajusted people, or if they got proper mental health, they might be okay. Whereas Oltis, I mean, he literally calls himself the devil.
Speaker 3: At one point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's what I mean. If it was just that, he would have been just as okay with the others. There is a line that was crossed that made that. Yeah, and that character isn't fun or in any way salvageable throughout the rest of the movie. So why as I'm watching everyone else going, oh, like, that's he's the thing that ruins the ending, the fact he's in the car, because the fact that he survives after having done all that, and it's like he gets to go out the way he chooses, and I know, fucked that guy. That guy should have been murdered by the cop and then the other to escape and get to go out the way they will.
Speaker 1: Have Otis and the cop take each other out, and then you haven't got the diosx tiny ending, Yeah, tiny, who's in the first film? You see him for thirty seconds of the Star They make a mention that he's gone out, which is why he's not there drawing the shoot out where Mother Firefly gets arrested and Rufus gets killed, and then he just turns up again at the ending to save baby.
Speaker 2: I think the fucking tracker on it.
Speaker 1: I think the implication because the sheriff has taken them back to their house that last that house at the end is the same house stay raid at the beginning. Oh I didn't get that, Okay, yeah, No, quite a journey to keep him unconscious for though, is it? Yeah, I think the implication is meant to be that Tiny has just been hanging around the house basically. Even that you're a bit like you're pushing it stretch. You're like William Forsknyve's torturing him for a good Like it's got to be like an hour at least that he's torturing them. Yeah, and you're telling me Tiny didn't turn up at that point.
Speaker 3: He waits until the anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's It's one of those things where I'm like, Otis needed to die sooner. He did not deserve to go out on his own.
Speaker 1: It does make me a terrible person. I think that I actually do. I didn't this time. Now I'm an adult, but as a teenager I used to cry at the ending of this film, and I actually still not be doing that. Whenever I hear the song three Bird, I tear up. Oh wow, Not necessarily because of this film. I just think three Birds are really sad song.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, what I was gonna say kind of before you said that was yet it get Even though I think this is the best film Rob Zombies made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 1: Do like a lot of the lines in this film. I think it's got a lot of lines that for me are iconic, Like don't you like clowns? Aren't we fucking funny? Are you accusing me of chicken?
Speaker 3: Motherfucker?
Speaker 2: That scene was great. I needed more of that, establishing the other characters. That scene did not need to be in the film. Never, I didn't mind it. Never was funny, never in sort Elvis Aaron Presley in front of me. Elvis was in Hollywood that film, first film, Love Me Tender. Yeah. What I love about that scene as well, sorry, is just when they bring in the film critic and he's going off and on about Grouch show, just carrying.
Speaker 3: A random bottle of wine.
Speaker 2: Did you know Yeah, I just drinking that like a whyo. The It was very clear to me that Rob Zon we didn't know how to end the scene, and he was just like, well, the Sheriff's got to throw him out for some reason. What's the reason for that? Fuck it, it's Elvis. He has like a pop at Elvis and that he piss off the sheriff. And I'm like, that's the best ending you could have fallen to. That.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: Brilliant ending to the scene. I think it's a really nice little character trait for the sheriff. Yeah, that humanizes him a lot, where you're like, oh, he's got this one thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the line he woke across of all the shit he does.
Speaker 1: Even though I like a lot of these lines, I still find myself coming to the same criticism that anytime we talk about a Rob Zombie film, I'll end up saying this because anytime I'm pretty sure I said it when we did his Halloween movies. I think Rob Zombie is a not a great but a good film. Directors focus, and when it comes to style and what he wants to stylistically, he picks good angles. He's got some really good cuts. His soundtracks are always really like top tier. He needs to stop writing his own films. He needs to hire someone and be like, Hey, here's my idea, can you write this for me? And I really approved one thing that you know you could admire about Rob Zombie, and it's the thing that's kind of tanked his career a little bit is he does things his way. He has got that rebellious spirit where he won't have That's why the monsters has a nothing budget, even though it's technically a studio moving because Universal the rights to the monsters. He basically turned around and said, I'm doing this my way, and they went, Okay, we're going to cut the budget down to like I mean, I read an interview where someone tried to claim the budget was three hundred thousand I think, and Rob Zombie replied to them on Twitter saying, I wish what he wishes they cut it down or no, no, he wishes it was that high. Oh right, yeah, yeah, apparently it was made for next to nothing. According to him, Wikipedia is completely wrong with what it says the budget is really Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: I doesn't even have it on IMDb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I know it was.
Speaker 1: There was a big point of contention about how much the Monsters cost because there was loads of figures getting thrown around by fans and Robsonby just kept.
Speaker 3: Coming out and going.
Speaker 1: But according to him, and to be fair, maybe we should stop reading it out on STC. But I've heard several filmmakers say the budget information you see on STC is sorry, on Wikipedia is never accurate. Fair Apparently, it's never accurate.
Speaker 2: It's always either too lar or it's artificially inflated anyway, so that's not what they had. That may include like marketing budgets and stuff like that, but anyway.
Speaker 3: My point was because the thing is.
Speaker 1: A if you'd have had a different writer for this one, with a bit more experience, you probably wouldn't have ended up with that feeling of.
Speaker 3: Two films stitch together.
Speaker 1: And although in this the hell billy esthetic works because they're all low class, it's all set in Alabama, even though everyone has a Texas license plate. But the problem is when you then transpose that rob zombie dialogue style to a film like Halloween that is set in suburban Illinois with middle class people and they're all talking like this, it just it immediately breaks the immersion for you.
Speaker 2: Well, the reason that the First Halloween surprised a lot of Americans at the time, obviously it's now a very old film, was because it was a middle class, well to do family boy who who was Michael Myers who committed the first murder, And that was part of it. It was like, why would such an innocent boy from a good family and a good neighborhood ever with a white picket fence around the house and everything, how could a boy like that possibly ever commit? And then it puts into the normal American mind. If he could do it, anyone could do it. You know, I'm not safe just because I live in a decent area. And by doing the Halloween remake the way he did and making them all kind of hillbilly in a way, you eliminated that and you brought it back down so well, you know, the poor will kill each other, but if you live in a decent place, you'll be fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He makes it like a really broken home, doesn't it, And then it does become this sort of well of course Michael Myers turned out fucked up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're like, oh see, you've took it away as classism.
Speaker 1: But I honestly do think rob'sonby if he chose to focus on directing over writing. Yeah, his films will do a lot better in my opinion. Yeah, I had no quote with the direction in this film. I thought there were some incredible choices as well in terms of direction. The script lets it down, But I will be honest, unlike the Halloween movies, which were just trash, there was nothing of value in those In my mind, this does have a story and story elements that are really interesting and worth following. I think they're just horrendously undercooked.
Speaker 2: And there was the bad choice of the motel being added to pad out runtime when instead the whole film should have been a chase. Yeah, I think that would have made for a much better movie, a more kinetic film. We could have had Otis killed two guys in the middle of nowhere, peel One's face off for his own sport whatever, none of the stuff with the women in the way that it was done in the motel room in this film. Instead, that makes Otis somewhat redeemable in terms of being a fun character. Maybe they're some of that. To steal their car, well you know, well you see them steal a.
Speaker 3: Car in the opening credits. To kill an old woman, steal a car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could still have him kidnapped the band and take them to go dig up the guns. Yeah, I'm fine with that because that makes sense that these people would have had a stash buried somewhere. I just don't need the bit where he's assaulting her that way and it's that came from nowhere, and it doesn't add that sing.
Speaker 3: It just doesn't act.
Speaker 1: And I always get funny with this, because on the one hand, I think you should be able to put whatever you want in your movie, because you know, think these things do happen, they should be represented in film. But on the other hand, I'm like, it just feels skeevy. It doesn't add anything. I already know. I'm not learning anything new because I already know oltis as an asshole, even if I've not seen House one thousand Corps says. The film starts with him waking up in bed with a dead body, and I've seen him stab the old woman to steal the car and take him out and have him kill them to get the guns. Still have him kill Brian Passaying. Where Brian Pasay comes in.
Speaker 3: He's like Roy healthy used immediately blows his brains out. I get it. He's a bad mbre.
Speaker 2: I think as well, with with sexual assault and things of that nature, if you're going to bring that into a film, And this might be my sensibilities, but I genuinely think that this is kind of standard for a lot of people. If you're gonna bring those elements into your movie, they need to be a focus, and there needs to be a reason, a payoff, something worth saying with it just bringing it in because it's, you know, well, either because it's fun or because it's got some sort of sick value for your film. I don't think people get that like some people do that there's always that minority that likes Gore for Gore's sake, ye, or six Stuff for six Stuff's sake. But I think for the most part, it just comes across, as you say, very skivie, because there's never a point where there's a revenge for that or where that comes back to bite him. Like if he ended up getting sexually assaulted later on by the sheriff or something, it's I still wouldn't have liked it, but at least you have been like, right, there is a closure for that story arc in some way he gets back what he gave karmic retribution. Yeah, but none of that ever happens. So it's just there for the sake of being sick, and like, oh, isn't this guy I get enough of this, As you say, there's enough for Otis to make him sick without adding that in. Yeah, and you've got that particular topic is so charged you can't just just going to be in a bit of sexual assault in this scene, but we won't come back to it. It's not the type of topic you can do that with no one.
Speaker 3: Little character moment.
Speaker 1: I think in DEAs I should have mentioned this earlier when we talking about Captain Spaulding seems to not really.
Speaker 2: I like Captain Spaulding and he's the best character. I do think Captain Spaulding is the best character in the film. I think I could watch I could.
Speaker 1: Watch a film of just Captain Spaulding. Ak Sid Hague is probably the best actor in the film. I think William Forsythe does a really good job as well. Yeah, but the character William Forsythe is playing is very similar to characters he plays in other films. Yes, also like Kevin ken Fory. He's not a huge part, but he's really good when he's in there. And I do it's childish and immature, but I love the scene where they go to buy the chickens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's like, are you accusing me of fucking a chicken?
Speaker 2: Motherfucker?
Speaker 3: I ain't accusing you of chicken fucking?
Speaker 1: But that boy over there looks sexually frustrated, and then Michael Barreman loses his ship. Yeah, I do think in terms of versatility. Sid Hague is the best guy in this. You get to see him in clown mode, like at the start when he's you watch his little TV commercially he's made, don't you You see him being a skeevy, scummy guy with his partner.
Speaker 3: I don't know if she's his wife or not. She's not.
Speaker 2: In the first film, you get to see him being I love the flip, you know when he first goes up to PJ. Souls and he goes, I got I'm gonna have to I've got some super secret clown business that supersedes.
Speaker 3: Any need you have for this. Here a vehicle?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: She goes, what is that about?
Speaker 1: Clambers and he just drops and goes, did I stud a bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And it's so quick.
Speaker 1: But the character way I wanted to pinpoint where we were saying, it's almost like one thing I think definitely endears you to him, and it's right near the end is when William Forsyth has caught them and he's going to him and he's like, right, which one of you killed this person? And he staples it to Otis's chest. Yeah, he pulls out another one and it's one Baby's killed and she goes, I did it, and straight away Captain Spolding.
Speaker 3: Goes, no, No, she didn't. I did that one.
Speaker 2: I did it. It was me, come on, and it wasn't it was baby.
Speaker 3: It just you know, he cares about her and he's weird.
Speaker 2: Twisted in six serial kill Away, And I think that endears you to him a little bit. It indears you to him because when is doing the sexual stuff, he's not enjoying it. Like Captain Spaulding's not in that scene, is he not? Oh? Is that with the face? Yeah, because there's a bit disgusted. I think that's a really good cut. You see him, you see Baby being like laughing, and it cuts captives falling and he.
Speaker 3: Just looks like, look like, what's the point A.
Speaker 1: We don't have time for this. We need to get on the run now and be like come on.
Speaker 3: He's not.
Speaker 1: But it's almost that he's almost gentleman criminal type thing, isn't it where it's like, oh, I'm a criminal. It's like dexter, I'm a criminal, but I have standards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's the thing I think if you did a film of just him, I know you can't do it now because unfortunately said, heyg is no longer with us. But if you were to do a film of just Captain spawning, I think that would be a much more interesting film because you don't have the issue of Otis. You don't have necessary even if it was just him and baby someone to care for.
Speaker 1: I think you need him with a family dynamic. So even if it's not Otis and you need to at least have baby there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think those two as a as a movie would be much better.
Speaker 1: Plus, Rob Zombie just doesn't make films that don't have his wife in them, so you got to put.
Speaker 2: It in there fair enough. But yeah, it's a I don't know how I feel about this film because it's not a bad film. It's definitely the best I've seen from Rob Zombie. But the only other ones I've seen on the Halloween movies, and they were terrible.
Speaker 3: This is the best one in my opinion.
Speaker 2: This is at least mostly enjoyable to watch. Outside of some of the more extreme stuff in the motel, Captain Spaulding is a likable character, very well played I like, and it's got the interesting part, something that Halloween didn't have anywhere through it. This one has the interesting part of the breaking bad for the Sheriff, where he starts off just trying to catch them and then flips into becoming one of them. Yes it's undercooked, Yes there's some very bad choices, but overall this is kind of an average film. I'll be honest, I'm not the audience for it, so take what I say with a pinch of salt. But I think if you're into sort of gorehouse horror, then you probably will like it, and it'd be worth a watch. If you're not, and certainly if you've got delicate sensibilities, it's not one I would advise.
Speaker 3: And I like this film.
Speaker 1: I don't like it as much as I did when I was a teenager, and I suspect I suspect I would like it even less if I hadn't seen it at the age I saw it at. So I've got a nostalgia for it if I didn't have that, because having watched it back now as an adult, I can definitely see some flaws in it. It really does feel like the Sheriff just he has one bad dream and suddenly he's a psychopath, although actually he's got a few bits before that where he's threatening to kill people, So I think.
Speaker 2: Actually cracking already from the start.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you just needed.
Speaker 2: That smoothing out a little bit so that it's more of a without slow ramp. Yeah, without the motel scene, you could have given him at least a little bit more time just to watch him break. That would have been slightly That would have been a better.
Speaker 3: Meat for him.
Speaker 1: But we didn't mention because they're not really that relevant, unfortunately. But Danny Treyjo and Diamond Dallas Pager in this movie, as well as a couple.
Speaker 2: Of bounty hunters, Yes they are.
Speaker 1: It's always great to see Danny Treyo. I love seeing him turn up in stuff.
Speaker 2: He is a man who sort of turns up in everything, and like Danny Treo is, Danny Treo is incredible. But sometimes you're just like, why are you even in this? Like you're way too good for Like when he's in freaking Spy Kids, and I'm like, why are you in Spike? Like I Spik? I love. I love the fact that technically the character he plays in Spy Kids, Yeah, canonically is the same character he plays in the film Machette, And they are very very different movies.
Speaker 3: Yes, very different movies.
Speaker 1: The first Machette I actually don't think is that good, but the second one Machetti Kills.
Speaker 3: Or Machette Kills, I don't want to be pretentious.
Speaker 2: Machette Kills, I actually think is a pretty humorous movie. It's it's kind of that it's in similar vein to play Planet Terror, where it's that sort of we're going to do grind house, but we're just going to dial it right.
Speaker 3: Up and go crazy with it.
Speaker 2: Mel Gibson is the villain, right okay, and he's quite over the top, whereas Robert de Niro is the villain in the first one. Right, but the first one is played much more straight. It's still a grindhouse movie, but everyone's playing it really straight, which I know usually makes comedy better, but in my opinion, for Machetti Kills, it's better when it's more over the top. Charlie Sheen plays the President of America. But yeah, that Machetti Kills came out around the same time. I think as another thing that I want to see just because it sounds so bad, which is Hobo with a Shotgun with Rutger Howell.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's meant to be pretty decent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's like just the name of it, hobo with a shotgun, you know what?
Speaker 1: The exactly what it says on the tire is a hobo, he's got a shotgun.
Speaker 3: What's he going to do with the shotgun?
Speaker 2: There's a couple of surprises in this from TV shows, A couple of actors. Should I say that I recognized from TV shows? Obviously Michael Berryman we've mentioned. I believe he's been in Star Trek before.
Speaker 1: He's been in a lot, Yeah, Star Trek and he was a bit of a horror icon. He's actually in The Hills Have Eyes, Yeah, we mentioned earlier. Okay, is he the same character or is he no?
Speaker 3: No, no, a different character.
Speaker 2: Okay. And then there's Brian Perscine saying, sorry, Brian Persain, who was in Well, I know he's been in lots of stuff. He was I know him from Big Bang Theory, where he's he was much bigger at that point.
Speaker 3: As Yeah, he's a stand up comedian, Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unfortunate. We don't get a lot of American comedians in the UK, do we. Other than Bill Burr. We had a bit of what was his name? The guy played Rufus. I was gonna say Bill Clinton, that's not his name, uh rufus in Bill and Ted, Oh, George Carlin, that's it, George carlinmore, Yeah, he was brilliant. And another one from Williams Robin.
Speaker 1: Williams also sad anymore but some of his stand up played over here as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, And then another one from another sitcom on one off day stay on this occasion though. Elizabeth Day, who plays Candy in this, she was in an episode of Friends where she played Phoebe's friend or ex friend who ends up stealing smelly kat and using it to sell for a commercial.
Speaker 1: Very popular voice actress. She is the voice of Tommy and rug Rats.
Speaker 2: You can kind of tell as well because she's got I don't think she's a smoker necessarily, but she's got this weird back of the throat's smoky sound to her voice, and you can when you hear Tommy and Rugrats and her character in this, but definitely no character in Friends. They've got that similar smoke at the back of the throat, which is interesting. Yeah, you can kind of hear that even if you can't see her face. But yeah, so there's a couple of known TV sitcom actors in this in a very unusual move for them.
Speaker 1: Well, funnily enough, House one thousand Corps has had Rain Wilson in.
Speaker 3: It before he did. Yeah, Dwight from the Office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's not playing the same character though. No, but anyway, we're not here to talk about The Office. I think We've said all there is to say about The Devil's rejec I don't think I've got much more to say.
Speaker 2: It's a decent enough film, but only really necessary viewing if you're.
Speaker 3: Into Gore fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well that's it for another episode of Second Take Cinema. Thank you very much everyone for tuning in. Please like, share, subscribe, all of the usual stuff that people ask you to do. If you leave us a review, that would be very very much appreciated. Please feel free to let us know your thoughts on The Devil's Rejects and we will see you next time on Second Take Cinema.