Speaker 1: Well, Maggie, I've given this a lot of fighter. I'm sure we can come to some sort of agreement. George beaten by an infant. What could be more humiliating? Hi, Scoop four Finger Discounted.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, welcome to four Finger discount where today we are joined by the most local of all comedians here in geelongas Day Thornton. How are you doing, sir?
Speaker 3: You guys, I can't believe so all three of us are from Geelong? Is that right? Is this the Simpsons effect? That the entire city is enamored with the Simpsons?
Speaker 4: Pretty much the case. We are the Springfield of Australia. So yeah, listeners of this particular episode should brace themselves for a whole bunch of local references. Going to be talking about Paco to be uh, gonna be name dropping the lyric and the Eureka and bemoaning the loss of Texas Burgers and Speaky Serf Shop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm so sorry Balert you just found out your Shelby Bill. I am so sorry.
Speaker 2: By the way, fun Fat, you're a Geelong Cats fan, right?
Speaker 3: This is true as well?
Speaker 2: Yes, his dad is the Bobby Davis.
Speaker 4: Embarrassing not embarrassing fact because it's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how cool is that? It's not bad?
Speaker 4: Unfortunately I'm not wearing my Bobby's son T shirt today. Yeah, it's in the wash. Well, all three of them are in the wash. Bob Davis, Yes, was indeed my father.
Speaker 3: Oh I had good that mate. You wouldn't have had to pay for a meal at Smorgy's. That he's really impressive.
Speaker 4: Well I didn't because I was dined and dashed.
Speaker 2: But trying to explain the idea of Smorgy's to anyone who didn't live in Gelon, I think they happened in Melbourne maybe, but I don't think they had the Seal. We had Salted the Seal and King Neptune, these animatronic things that would sing songs every half an hour. They had a video package of ariblet scene You're playing football. It's madness.
Speaker 3: Yeah for anyone listening. And I know that your podcast goes international. Small geese isn't all you can eat, but kind of like a sizzler. But it was at the end of a peer because Geelong's on a bay, so it had this unbelievable view just with Bay Marese full of fried food and shit. Food combined with, as you said, an animatronic seal that would do songs about our Australian rules footballer favorite player in Geelong, Gary Ablett. So it was really a melting pot of regrettable decisions.
Speaker 2: Really, my sister works at this place because her place of business her business. But the guy that owned it, he found the actual salt of the seal. They found it in this shed and he had it in like in the office as a display and people were coming from all over Geelan to get a photo of the salted the seal. Its hilarious.
Speaker 3: Is he still got it?
Speaker 2: No? So the guy that owned it, this guy found it in a shed at like there used to be the zoo and bow and heads here and again local reference and they were like holding it hostage in the shed. He bought it off them. So now he owned salted the seal and he rents it out to businesses. So my sisters when my sister works, doesn't have it anymore. But you can actually rent assaulting. Now rent salty the seal. Haven't met your work party.
Speaker 3: That's the gift that keeps on giving. That is incredible. I now know what's going to happen in my next birthday.
Speaker 4: I just love that Discovery sounds like Bobo.
Speaker 2: You mentioned things that keep on giving this episode Rose Bud. I revisited again last night for this review. Holy shit, I forgot how many pivotal moments, like classic moments from The Simpsons were in this one. You've got happy birthday, mister Smithers. You've got the ramones, You've got sixty four slices of American cheese, You've got two plus twos four, You've got that Yes sitcom. So many moments in one episode. It's incredible. People always call this one arguably the greatest of all time, and it's hard to argue that it's got to be at least top three.
Speaker 3: It's also funny that it was only when I got older but I realized it was a Citizen Kane rip off that was the parody, and I'm yet to see Citizen Kine. I was like, Oh, you're right, and then like, oh, I kind of got the gist of it.
Speaker 2: I get it how many of us growing up watching The Simpsons and know no parenting Things like the shitting is one I always fall back on. You feel like I don't need to see the real thing I've seen the Simpsons version. I get the gist, as you said, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean I was bred on Warner Brothers cartoons and they would have references from the thirties and forties, and I never went, ah, like I kind of then made the connection. But it's not like I went back and thought, all right, they've mentioned Hitler, I might as well just see what.
Speaker 2: All the World War.
Speaker 3: I was, Yeah, it's fine, and I love that about the Simpsons. There were so many references I didn't quite understand when I was young, but it's still funny.
Speaker 4: Those A lot of the people are going to watch Citizen Kaanes sort of widely regarded as you know, the apex of cinematic achievement, and there's go eh, Rosebud was better. The Simpsons actually nailed at piss off Auson Wells.
Speaker 2: Because so the thing is, because guy is the movie buff here, he knows all about movies, and he'll explain to us how it's a parody. But in the film he was just explained to me before we hit record that in Citizen Kane, it's not a bad bobo, it's a sled. Correct. It is na named Rosebud, which is did you ever know that much, Dave.
Speaker 3: I did know it was the sled in a very I'm not gen z, but this feels like a very gen Z thing to say, which is, I saw a YouTube group about Citizen Kane, so it's about the ten minute synopsis of the movie, and I'm like that old though you.
Speaker 4: Got the spark notes. It's funny. I'll put my nerd hat on for a second though, because I mean I rewatches and came not long ago, and you think, oh god, it's going to be fucking dusty homework from the thirties or whenever, and you look it's like this is like avant garde or something. Yeah, it's really entertaining. It's really sort of it feels very very modern, you know, when it's something like you know, all these prestigious sort of film buffs and film publications say, oh my goodness, absolute to you know, a cinematic pinnacle or something like that. Oh god, this is going to be some three hour Vietnamese tone poem you see at the Melbourne Film Festival and you want to like, oh shit, there's really funny, and you know this is really innovative in this Okay, that's nerd hat removed.
Speaker 3: That's good to know, guy, But I do want to know was there a George Burns reference throughout? It was Bunny Chance was an inn some short shorts at about eight years old. I get the feeling.
Speaker 4: Even in nineteen ninety three though, was sort of pushing it. You know, I don't know if the target when is actually going to get this all the match gave himselves a little bit of an escape patch when they was saying, don't worry, this is going to be hilarious when I'm an old man.
Speaker 2: But I don't think the rid of his episode John swartzwe one of his best episodes. I don't think he cared either if you got it or not, and sometimes he just put gags in that made him laugh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Luke, I mean, I do love that it's Monty Burns's younger brother, like at the time and older brother.
Speaker 2: Do you remember watching Rosebud for the first time and seeing things like the George Burns and having absolutely no fucking idea what was going on, and you just you just sort of went with it, didn't you. It was like, oh, well, it's just a bit that I understand. I'm sure I'll get it one day.
Speaker 3: I did get George Burns, I mean, I was. My upbringing in Geelong was very much he just watched TV on a weekend. My parents went off and just got drunk with their friends, I think, and so I back then in Australia in the nineties on a weekend you would get a lot of old films. I mean, now it's probably been demoted to those off Broadway channels, you know, the Channel Go and seven Flicks and all these other nine gem Yeah, exactly, but back in the day you would routinely get I mean Abbot and Castallo films. You would get films from the fifties, and so George Burns was kind of around. I kind of understood that I don't understand the share of Lobo reference, and I still don't in my mid forties, but I'm happy to go with it.
Speaker 2: Do you want to explain to what it is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Sheriff Lobo was a pivotal supporting character on the Dukes of Hazard, so beloved in fact that he did get his own spin off.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 4: I think last approximately three episodes. We like Lobo and small doses. We don't win a half hour bites.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like Stair of Lobo.
Speaker 2: I had no.
Speaker 3: I mean, I did watch the Dukes of Hazzard, but that was jezus, what is that early eighties? It would be seventies, I.
Speaker 4: Reckon late seventies, early eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a better time.
Speaker 2: Day.
Speaker 4: You could drive around with the Union Confederate flag on the I'm on the top of your car and not get canceled.
Speaker 3: Man. You could leave the windows open and just slide in and out without opening the doors.
Speaker 2: That was the great booling.
Speaker 3: Never got stolen despite the fact the windows were opened the whole time.
Speaker 2: Did you have to even wear seat belts in those days? Please?
Speaker 3: What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Luke Duke and Bo Duke did not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a sign of weakness. You'd rather go through the front wind chill with those namby panby seatbelts.
Speaker 2: It's like that trou McClue video Alice through the Windshiel. But we're here. Let's plug your your coming to us. So, Dave Thoughton, localmedian, you've got your to a more or less let's talk about it. I think it starts early March, correct in Adelaide.
Speaker 3: That is right, guys, I'm just about to recording of this. Yes, in a couple of weeks. I'll be starting in Adelaide and then going to all the major cities. We've got Melbourne here for the Melbourne International Comedy Festival, I got Sydney, Brisbane, per I'm also a Newcastle and Gold Coast so yeah, the tour all kicks off and brand new show so if people want to come down, that'd be great. And the last show that I did, actually it's on YouTube right now. I did film it. It kind of ties into what we're talking about because the last show was called Nothing's Unpossible, which is an end of the cat to Ralph Wigham when he gets caught up on stage by Principal Skinner. He said his faith and he goes, me fail English, that's unpassable. So that's how much the Simpsons are Imbauedy in my life.
Speaker 4: And we keep referring to Dave as a local commedian because you know, we're very proud of you know, Geelong.
Speaker 2: If anyone makes it from Geelong, you're proud of it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, stuck with it. But David is a national and international game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, oh thanks.
Speaker 4: The stage is all over the world, yes too.
Speaker 3: I mean not as much now, my little handbroke children for they said to stop the international touring, but now touring all throughout Australia. And well, I actually live in Melbourne now, I live up a bit, but I still head down at too long all the time. And as we said, go for the cats.
Speaker 2: So you named your special unpossible. Does the Simpsons still have an impact on the comedy scene now on comedians of today?
Speaker 3: I think it's really an age thing. I mean I still use the odd Simpsons reference. I mean I did it to my kids on me recently. Actually, this is why I love that we're doing this podcast, because I strangely about October last year, started playing Simpsons reruns to my kids, just because I think I said to one of them, look, I was born a snake handler. I'm going to die a snake handler. And my kids went story what and that's my cis lack And they're like, I don't know what you're talking about. And then we started watching the Simpsons. So it's really strange that now a couple of months later, when I haven't really been watching the Simpsons for years, I got really back into it and I got the eery feeling with Simpsons references to answer your question, Dano, I probably people of my age. You know, you can be in a green room and stand up and drop a reference like evidence coming up Millbouse, and then watch a couple of guys lighting up. But anyone for I'm trying to think maybe under thirty, it's kind of lost, like family guy in South Park got them, but.
Speaker 2: You're making me feel old under thirty.
Speaker 4: But it really is that kind of secret handshake though. I mean, if you are dropping certain lines, I mean not even for comic effect, but it just becomes part of your everyday vocab. I mean, I don't know how many times we've talked about how, yeah you've got yours.
Speaker 2: I've got mine.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'll go to the supermarket or whatever, and you check if you're actually in the right parking spot. Yeah, you look at I'm in the lines. You don't like it, go tell your mama.
Speaker 2: You know, or you see a variant of a thing limited, No, exactly.
Speaker 3: It's even these obscure references. Like we've got a lot of people in stand up and I can understand it's a broad church and we were just having this conversation about like ADHD, which is a big thing now and it's great that people are getting diagnosed, but of course, mates, they have to take some times whatever medicine that they're on. And a reference that thing from the episode where they go into the well. The fortune Teller goes into the future and tells a Lita what her first almost marriage was like. And when she goes and visits the in laws over in England, they've got that uncle in the corner and he goes, get me brain medicine for the National health.
Speaker 2: You're going to go with, give her this, then this and then these. I'm thanks doctor. Oh I'm not a doctor.
Speaker 3: See this is all great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it seems to me that, yeah, people our of a certain generation, shall we say, because I mean looking at Dave.
Speaker 2: Here, I mean you look, he's younger than me. Yeah, he's got the he's got the you.
Speaker 4: Know, fresh faced looks of a thirty five year old, even though he's sort of he's close to guy Davis age, which makes him damn fossil. Watching the Symptons on the regulars as a young person, I mean it kind of forms your comic sensibility away, or at least teaches you the fundamentals of comedy and certain in terms of in terms of comic delivering, in terms of timing all that kind of stuff. Am I at all correct in thinking that no.
Speaker 3: Guy spot on it's knowing that I was coming on this podcast. This made me reflect upon the Simpsons in my life, and I almost couldn't be more on the crosshairs in that you guys would know better than me. I think it aired in ninety one, is that's right in Australia? And then yeah, yeah, and I was eleven years old, and so it focused on Bart and then that got me in. I remember those early seasons they're selling merch and they're really angling it towards kids, and you know, all those t shirts are Bart saying don't have a cow man or whatever it was. And so it got me in. But then it matured as I matured. So by the time we're getting to season four, season five, which is where Rosebud's on, I'm fifteen sixteen, and so you just locked in as a young man, like it's just you're watching it. I was that kidlucking at school all week that's quoting it as the arts teachers, like you just need to shut up right.
Speaker 4: Now and you just need to take your brain medication. Yeah ha hack.
Speaker 3: She goes, No, that's that's enough. That is enough, and so rewatching it now as an adult, especially after becoming a comic, You're right that it is just riding one oh one, Like it's so punchy, it comes out of the gates punchy. There are times when they're constantly undercutting a trope and making and just even the subtlety of the jokes. I mean in this Rosebud, which happens to a lot of episodes, that storyline of just Smithers being smitten with Monty Burns. And when I was even in my mid teens and it could maybe speak to my naivety, I was like, oh, yeah, Smith's just really loves his boss. And it's like when I'm now in my mid forties, I'm like, oh, right, like.
Speaker 2: This he loves his boss.
Speaker 4: But they didn't.
Speaker 2: But but most of the time they didn't do it in a way that where he was a punchline. As a result, it was just you know, you watch this very easily double as a kid and go you just like mister Burns a lot, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, and then it made me laugh in this episode is you talked about sixty four slices of American cheese, you know, when they first tried to get into the house. Yeah, and they slide down the rope and meet in the middle because there's just not it doesn't go downhill, so they just hanging there when Burns hit Smither's here and go oh, it's beautiful. Norms of a man who's like, oh, well, he could work out the plan worked out.
Speaker 2: It's always like Smither's planned it to happen this way.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, Harry Shirts is having an affluent field day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the line reads in this episode, by the way, I mean just yeah. The spin he puts on some of this stuff was like tug on my furrow, leave the costume.
Speaker 3: A little bit at the end, and leave the costume.
Speaker 4: Oh maybe laugh.
Speaker 2: Well, So, what are your earliest memories of The Simpsons. You're saying you're eleven? Bar of Mania? Was it running wild and show? It was huge in the States, But I feel like by the time Australia got the Simpsons, the whole barta Mania fat had kind of already died down in the US.
Speaker 3: It really did for well for when well, I was growing up, like at the age that I was, all the kids this is grade six, grade five, grade six in primary school, and all the kids are obsessed with it. I mean, if you think I spoke about Warner Brothers cartoons earlier, that was the only adult ish cartoon I've ever seen in my life. Like some of the jokes were kind of skewed to adults, but that's it. Everything else was children's cartoons. And my dad, I do remember when I first watched The Simpsons was like, what's this. It's badly drawn cartoons. It's shit. I don't want to know about it. And then, I mean, my father was also a kind of he was a bald, kind of heavy set guy, and I think after all.
Speaker 2: The strain in the eighties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Homer Simpson sounds like an absolute legend he was, and I guy, yeah, and so to no, I'm surprised Homer Simpson and George Castanza came is the pinup for it, And then yeah, it morphed into that. So I mean it was pretty big, I think. And again, like when it was early, it was targeted squarely at a kid my age, and then it was fascinating to watch this thing turn into adult entertainment.
Speaker 2: Did you watch it once it went beyond being like the show to watch for kids, because I remember I was born in eighty eight, so I was about six or seven when I was really at its peak. And then sort of South Park came around, and that was sort of the more risky comedy animator show, and my friends sort of gravitated towards that and Family Guy, but I still stuck with The Simpsons for the most part, where I feel like I was sort of the only one left of my friends watching the Simpsons. Did you ever get to that point on did you jump ship to south Park? And those likes as well?
Speaker 3: South Park was great and it still is great. I think south Park funnily enough, I talked about The Simpsons maturing into I think very clever comedy. I think South Park has kind of done the same, but over a longer period. Like when it first started, it was pretty black force comedy, like it was kids being pretty crook, and therein lies the juxtaposition of these kids who were just foul mouthed and you know, Eric Cartman was just causing trouble all the time, and it was it was funny, but it was it was a feeling blund force instrument. When I thought Simpsons at the same time was a much more nuanced comedy. And I mean, I know we're getting into the weeds here, but I do think South Park of late has become political commentary, and because of its quick turnaround, is able to lampoon things that are happening in the press and the zeitgeist. I think that's its real strength. But at the time it was when it first came out, it was funny, but it was like because of its almost it's shock, that's what made it funny. When I stuck with the Simps, I liked them both, but I just always thought with the Simpsons, it's like this master class in writing. I couldn't have I don't think I would have consciously told you this when I was sixteen, but I just was. I just found it so like we just talked about Rose, but I didn't know it was a parody of Citizen Kane, but you kind of knew there was all these layers happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're hitting different parts of the funny bone, Reckon and me. And you can't imagine South Back, for all its virtues, going deep on a Citizen Kane homage.
Speaker 2: Let's rip off. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I mean, yeah, they're just they're approaching it in different ways.
Speaker 2: Next time you join us, you have to come onto our South Park podcast. We're currently in season nine of the show. We just did Trapped in the Closet with Tom Cruise and John Devolta. That's awesome.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's funny how I said, like, maybe, hi, Brow, I'm not sure if that's the right way to describe. But when in the same episode where the parodied Citizen Kane, there's also that brilliant scene when the when Bobo gets caught in the ice and then they make it to a Poo's quickie mart and the guys are like, you got a fun better way to make eyes on this last expedition, got better better way of making eyes and you just go, that's a really funny, dumb joke.
Speaker 2: Are you a big so why did you choose Rose Budy You're a big fan of the mister Burns character. Was just the fact that there's so much crammed into this Well, what was it that made you want to review rosebud today? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Both, I think it's a really well written show. That episode, I should say, And then yes, I find Monty Burns hilarious because there's old jokes don't stop getting funny, and I mean Grandpa Simpson can wheel those out a lot. But there's also this, and I think it's almost precient now watching it, because we've seen the rise of all these tech billionaires and all these people who are just monstrously rich, especially in America, and it's this overriding capitalism of people that just want to be rich and do not care about anything else but getting richer. And Monty Burn's whole storyline is always him. But there's that beautiful part when he doesn't want to pay home at all for the boy, and the roof just rips open and all that gold and things just drop on his head. He says, as you can see this police is falling them off, and it's like it just makes you laugh because like, this guy is so and so rich and has no conscience whatsoever, but you're.
Speaker 2: Saying to me off the air. That sort of the theme of this episode is kind of like money happy. Money can't buy happiness, isn't it, really?
Speaker 4: Well, essentially, yeah, I mean, he's got all the money in the world, but he's longing for this just bedraggled old bear that he just you know, can't get a hold well he can't get out of his head. But also I can't get a hold of He's.
Speaker 2: Also keeping a secret as well, which I thought was interesting.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, yeah, I mean, well he does want to show any weakness, yeah, particularly even well particularly the Smithers I don't think.
Speaker 2: But as the Simpsons evolved, the mister Burns character did show weakness a lot more. But in these earlier seasons he was the scary billionaire tyrant.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then just made like rich people decisions, which is fun, you know, like you just couldn't give a shit. I mean I still say it now. At any time someone who makes a lot of money, I'm like, oh, yeah, they have to buy another Ivory backscratcher, which is just.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But at the very end, I mean everyone's sort of angling for a payday. Well, certainly the Simpsons family is angling for a payday. Think, oh, you know we can get a bit of cash out of by handing over this bed.
Speaker 2: It would, right, And then if you found this old billionaires teddy bear, you'd try and milk it for all you could, right, I mean fuck being honest and good if he wouldn't be the other way around, So get what you can out of him. I think they should have tried to rip him off for money.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, but I mean the fact that they don't get anything at the very end is yeah, it's sort of the underlines the theme of the episode, which is the other. If they'd got money for it, it would have sort of negated that.
Speaker 3: I think it could have just been a thing. And I know they're so good at using trokes and then going in the other direction. I mean, it would be so saccharin sweet or like if everyone he got his bed, they got their money and they're like and it's all fine. And I like it at the end, like is this a good ending or a bad ending? It's an ending that'll do my favorite.
Speaker 2: Did you have any favorite moments from the episode?
Speaker 3: I did like the nice thing, as I mentioned before, just made me chuckle. And just when he goes yeah, if you if you know a better way to get some assle like to hear it, and I like it how I just go back to each other like, no, he's got to say it.
Speaker 2: They just.
Speaker 3: I do love and it's again when you watch it, and rewatch it. All these little asides Popper that just make you laugh. Where Sminners is interrogating mister Burns after the party and going, I don't understand. Look at everything that you've got, and he says, you've got Arthur's Excalibur, you've got the only nude photo of Mark Twain, and you've got the first draft of the Constitution with the word suckers in it.
Speaker 4: That's one of my favorites as well. That just strikes me as a real sort of Generation X joke. I'm I'm trying to figure out exactly why that feels so nineteen ninety three, but it really does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really does. And I guess again, I mean maybe with Trump and everything and how much how crazy America's going, it was like, yeah, that's quite funny. Now people in dude would ride suckers in a Constitution and Bilm we got away with it.
Speaker 2: For me, I've always loved Homer's reaction to the sitcom. So you've got the what already? Yes right, everyone remembers there, yes, right? But I love more Home Were Going because Lisa says, is it just me or TV getting worse or something on those lines, and you nothing's still the same. Watch Out Smithers and.
Speaker 3: Yes, I love this show, which is funny in that it's a TV show that had no regard for TV's constantly saying this is a you know, like Homer just sits in front of it, and it's like this, you know, it just makes him docile. He just sits there. He wastes his life away, which kind of has parallels now. When I'm watching it, I'm like, oh, this is if it was made now, it'd be phones. Like we're just sitting in front of a phone, We're scrolling, we're doing all those things. And I just loved it that it wasn't like other TV shows would never pope fund of TV because they're on it. Executives would say this isn't happening. But I just really like that. You're right that home is just whoever is there being Smithers on Monty Burns. He's like that, still watch out Smithers.
Speaker 2: Now, guys, I hope you're enjoyed this week's show. Remember, if you do love everything we do here at four finger Discount, the best way to show your support is by joining the four fingeris Scant family on Patreon. You can do so for as little as just one dollar per month, but for five dollars you get access to hundreds of hours of bonus podcasts, are exclusive Discord Facebook groups, early ad free access to the show. The list goes on. Obviously, we know you'd probably be happier with the dollar, but if you do have a spared dollarydo each month, we'd love for you to show you support and join the four Fingered Scamp family on Patreon.
Speaker 4: I just love that though, from beginning, when it's Chocolate Block with all kinds of humor. I mean, you've got high rail hum, you've got low brow hum, you've got perfect use of a guest artist, throw away non sequity gags, I mean, not necessarily non secud I mean that got that shot of the millk Curtons going past. You know, I always found it very weird that they would have pictures of missing children on milk cut but that's.
Speaker 2: America for you.
Speaker 4: But the poor old millhouse was clearly missing. It's just bobo bo bo bobo slap nap stickers when poor old Millhouse is just you know, thrown to the side.
Speaker 2: All Homer saying that Flanders smells like manure, Kathleen party things like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but even sometimes the darker Joe, like you know when he said, what do you think you was mister Burns saying, oh, maybe you're trying to enjoy beer. Well, you will have stopped every beer truck from coming into Springfield. And then Barney entswers the door with a cocked pistol and says, SCRAMs the door on him, and you hear the gun go off and a woman's shrill scream please.
Speaker 2: The thing is though, that was cut out of TV. So when I used to watch it as a kid, this episode, that scene and the scene with Homer in the box like the empty cardboard box. Those two scenes of the boxes were edited for time. I feel like the Barney with the gun was edited because of maybe because of the violence, but also what they edited out was, you know, at the end of the birthday party when a riot breaks out and beat everybody up, that was cut out as well. So I remember watching for the first time on foxtail because Fox told I mean pay TV in Australia when he used to air The Simpsons back in the nineties, they would play the full versions and we remember seeing it for the first time. It was like at the caprio moment of that's new, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, Dan, that's quite funny as well. He said this party is over, and then they've got like what do you call them like not squat the ride police, right, just he just forces them upon the guests quarter way to finish. I mean that little bit after the Ramones play. It's so funny with Monty goes and the Rolling Stones killed, and then this says, but but do it do.
Speaker 2: As I say? There's I want to touch on the Ramones because I think that's arguably the greatest guest cameo, not guest appears, but guest cameo of all time. You've got that, just the fact that it's the Ramones, You've got the great direction of the directing of the real cool panshot as the song's beginning where it passes past Joey. The song itself is fantastic, but again the button at the end of have the Rolling Stones Killed? Do as I say? But also when they say go to hell you are beastard, and the look on Burns's face as the curtain is closing on him. It's just there is so much packed into like fifteen seconds. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 4: And each Ramone gets gets the moment to shine. I get Eats, get a line. It's like, hey, I think they really liked us.
Speaker 2: Also, speaking of songs, my other favorite bit was and it's something that wouldn't really work now because no one does it anymore, but it's the big Max song that Homer sings in the recording studio. Like that is that was such a pivotal part of what my child was. Can you do the big Max song? But no one does it anymore? You know, it's just that that's all people nam mc donald's for now. It's not the big Max song. But I think that's such a great side gag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then he gets to the end in Homer you're drawing on the mic again.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, it's it's hats on hats on hats because it's like Homer saying, oh, I can get what I always won of my own recording here. It's like, okay, it's a gag in itself. And then you're seeing what the McDonald's themes are and he's drawing on the mic. It's like, oh, it's the gift that keeps on giving.
Speaker 2: Next question, you there eating the Beast. Let's answer some trivia questions. I asked you a question here, Dave. Let's see if you can answer it for us. Okay, what did Marge get mister Burns for his birthday?
Speaker 3: Dustbuster? Yes, look on her face of oh I thought I've nailed it, and you.
Speaker 2: Can you can imagine Marge thought that would be a great gift. There's obviously something that she would use all the time. It's very practical. As a kid though, you always had those relatives that brought you practical gifts. And it's like I didn't fucking want pencils. I wanted a street shark's toy. Look what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But Dando, this is the thing other be in Brunswick and for anyone oversees who's listening, this is very much there with the very left of center. It's the very you know, I think Portland's like this in Americas, the hipster central. Yeah, exactly. So the parents at parties very much do this. They're like, oh, I've bought your child a book that they may enjoy. And it's always you look on the kids' faces like are you shit me? And the parents are like, wonderful, you're improving their education. Will never touched that book.
Speaker 4: You might as well have got on socks. It's like, no, I'm unleashing your child's creativity.
Speaker 2: But you may as well be like, does your kid watch Bluey at all? Yes? You know how Lucky his dad's like the cool dad at parties. Need to be Lucky's dad. You need to be the guy that just gives the cool fucking toy press. Everyone's like they will always invite your kids to party because they know they're going to get a good present.
Speaker 3: Guys, here's some heaps. Normal, it's not an alcoholic beer, but so it's fine. Don't worry you right, girl, can have it, don't worry about it. As a side note, with that dust bustard, I did like it. Where's the pans across? There's a unicorn just on some food.
Speaker 2: I mean, Australia even gets a reference in that scene there. We're all holding up candles in the name of mister Burn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well done us.
Speaker 2: Just have to turn your head to see it. Oh, no time, I shall ask you tributes.
Speaker 4: According to the newspaper, mister Burn's credits his long life to Satan. He's handing over a check to the Prince of Darkness. But how much?
Speaker 3: Oh I didn't because I didn't notice. I clocked the headline which made me laugh. There are five and at five million.
Speaker 2: Doctor Evil says this as part of one of his famous quotes. Oh really, I think it's Doctor Evil.
Speaker 5: A billion dollars, a billion dollars initiallys a million dollar, one billion dollars by the way, just great animation, just great look on Satan's face there is like he's so happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My next question for you is how many channels does Springfield have?
Speaker 3: Seventy eight? What?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wow, I remember that stood out because you've been watching it again. We never got to that point in Australia did we We now have streaming services and things, but it never got to that point where you, like friends will go to America and be like they've got so many channels and we still had five.
Speaker 2: We had Foxtael. Basically that's what you want to get more chance yet Fox, did you have Foxtail as a kid.
Speaker 3: No, My parents were never fought me out for Foxtel and yeah, and so it was always that it was just yeah, you went through you were lucky to get SPS to be.
Speaker 2: Honest, yeah, channel thirty one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's only we always talk about when we were talking with guests. Usually it's that having that limited amount of options meant that you had to watch all that stuff that you were talking about earlier day. You'd be watching George Burns movies or Ab and Costello stuff, and as a result, you got this widely curated sort of diet of entertainment and culture. And yeah, your your sensibility has got shaped as a result of that. I mean, yeah, you watched a lot of good stuff, you also watched a lot of crap, and you were able to discern the good stuff from the bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Guy, it's a really interesting point too, and we all had the same Touchstanns like, yeah, it's funny now my kids because you can skip an intro to anything online and streaming. And when we watch we watch a Wizard of Oz with him, and of course those old movies. The credits are at the start. It's three minutes of just acknowledging the people who put this amazing motion picture together, and they're like, they're looking at me, like what the fuck is pushed the middle button. And then it was only last night actually that I was singing the eighties sitcom tunes and then watching my wife as I'm like because I remember them all, And then I'd start and she'd go, oh yeah, and then she'd jump in as we all start singing the Family Ties theme song or whatever the hell it was, and you just don't have that anymore. Like there are certain things that pierced through, but not necessarily.
Speaker 4: I say to my shame that some forty years on, I can still sing the theme to Growing Pains. Show me that smile again.
Speaker 2: I put Space Gm on for my sunny. Had a couple of mates over on on Saturday night, and it was interesting because we're talking about the skip intro right, and my son loves Space Jam, one of his favorite movies. And during the opening credits of Space Jam, there's fucking shots of MJ Do and slam Dune Space Jam. The song's playing, it's great, and one kid's just like, when's a movie star? When's a movie star? I'm like, kid, are you fucking your eyes working? Why would you want to skip this? But it's like it's just that mentality of now, oh the credits that means we need to skip this part. It's just it's just sort of second nature to so many kids. Now you see those credits and it means quick, skip, skip, skip. This isn't this isn't anything we have to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I've now gotten to the point where I'm sure I'm not on the level of you guys, but I now get into movies and things and quite often and even when I'm watching now, especially Australian content, because I might know some of the people who are involved. Where now I want to watch the end credits and the streaming service is like, right, we'll move on. No, no know my mates and grip over in our a. I just want to see us involves in this film.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like you're playing PlayStations, don't trying to find the right but to get to that little box up in the right hand corner.
Speaker 2: It's like, I want to watch the credits. By the way, Sorry, I'm.
Speaker 4: Just I wasn't laughing at Dana, but I was laughing the fact that the kid who wanted to you know, skipad basically sounds like a teamster from New York. Why are we watching this?
Speaker 2: He was so angry, He's like, why are we Will you skip this?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 5: When's the gate?
Speaker 2: When's the movie start? I'm like, this is the movie kid who's running this show. But we just were talking to you off air, just Before we recorded this, we spoke to Matt someone from the Simpsons, and this year they have cut out couch gags. The couchhags just don't exist anymore, so they can cram in more and the opening interest, so they can cram in more storytelling, say, But also there's a mentality of how many people actually watch the intro anymore, Like when you when you pick up Disney Plus, we just go skip intro, and when you click skip intro on The Simpsons, it skips the couch gag. So it's like, is there a point even having couch gags anymore?
Speaker 3: Isn't that funny? Because I mean, the Cat's was seminal because it was part of the show. Because the intro had never been changed before. You would just give into the fact that you're like, yeah, growing Pains is going right, We'll just sit through the song. This is fine, this is what happens, and then we'll start and then to have something different happen, you're like, Wow, they're cramming entertainment in everywhere.
Speaker 2: I feel like a bit of old. I knew I was getting old. My son started watching Fresh Prince at Ballet because I love that show. When I was a kid, and I was getting dinner ready and he skipped the intro and I grabbed the romte from his hand and I rewound it, and he goes, what are you doing? I said, you will listen to this theme song because there's part of the show. And ever since then it's almost like he's afraid to skip intros.
Speaker 4: And then and said, keep that song at your fucking man, I have a.
Speaker 2: Trivia question for my question, we'll get into our review.
Speaker 4: When Burns and Smithers are attempting to burgle the Simpson house, they say, how long in and out?
Speaker 3: Eighteen seconds?
Speaker 4: Holy shit, Dave Hanton.
Speaker 2: But I didn't get that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because again I watched it and it made me laugh when he says because firstly Flanner's pokes his head up from the roof. It's a very Flanders. I can't remember what he says for, something like what can I do you for? Like that these men are dressed in all black in the middle of the night, and he's like, oh, yeah, just some friends. And then when he says in and out and out and seconds And as I mentioned earlier that Smith is enjoying their bodies snatching together.
Speaker 2: Also love too. His great sound editing that part because they didn't just have flanners go thud. It's thought he's falling down a ladder. It's not a good fall for Flanders there. But let's get into our review, shall we of Rosebud. So the visual airday of this episode was October twenty first, nineteen ninety three. Now we do a bit here on the show where we talk about the top three films of the US box office when this episode aired. So number three was Cool Runnings. Number two was Beverly Hillbillies, remember that TV adaptation, and number one was one of your favorites, demolition.
Speaker 4: Man, moly Stallone and Snipes together at last.
Speaker 3: Please, Well, that was that was very seminal in the nineties because it was Wesley Snipes's haircut that led to Dennis Rodman bleaching his hair blonde. He saw Wesley Snipes doing it. Really yeah, he was like, this is cool, and that's why this is the most nineties conversation I've had in a very long time. It's good, right to be honest.
Speaker 2: Guy always brings up there's a bit in Demolition Man that would never fly today. Have do you know the bit we're talking about where he we wait to say what he says, but he sees an Asian guy.
Speaker 3: Have you seen I haven't seen demolition Man in a long time?
Speaker 4: In the In the yeah, farth long future of Demolition Man, people are basically there's a very Asian influence in the way people are dressing. People sort of walking around in kimonos a lot, and look, okay, fine, I'll pull the rip cold on this one. Yeah, Wesley Snipes walks past them. Yeah, some people are dressings who may actually be Asian, basically says the Ching Chong Qing Chong so.
Speaker 2: And he just says that, Wesley, what Apparently that wasn't that improvised? I think so, it wasn't in the script and they left it in the movie. Were have you said? Let Wesley stops is the villain of Demolition. Do not do this at home, kids, it helps. The one thing we always say in our south Park podcast is people always say, people who don't like south Park say it's just crude. It's this out and the other day I can't believe they're doing this, they're doing that, But it's it's look at which characters are doing this and which characters are saying this. They are the bad guys. The whole point is it is bad to be doing these things. It is bad to be saying these things. That's the whole point exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean you get a lot of this in stand up where people go they said something on stage, it's like, yeah, they're not happy with it. Like, you still do have to point out, like if someone's yelled, you know, a homophobic slur at you, and you said, this person yelled at me, like I can't believe they've said that word, it's like, yeah, because they're not cool with it. That's just pointing out that they they weren't okay. And you can't lampoon something without addressing it correct. How often do you write jokes and go, it's a good joke, but I just know I can't do it. Can I lend the plane on this one?
Speaker 2: The negative is far away the positives here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's always ones that you kind of laugh and I hate to say it, but usually your shelter of the comics and they laugh and they go dead. I wouldn't do that one.
Speaker 4: Just because it's so it could be so easily misconstrued. I mean, you're going in with the best of intentions.
Speaker 3: Yes, can be misconstrued. I mean there is that thing if people do go, look that you're mentioning a topic that can make people tighten up a bit.
Speaker 4: What's that saying Depiction does not equal endorsement, as they say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean it is a it is a strange area of that one because also there's that the situation of irony where sometimes you're saying something out of irony, but it's the people that you're lampooning who then use it to be like, oh, this is a good thing. Like the best example I can think of is what was the movie with Gordon Gecko? What was it Wall Street? Yeah, and that last speech of him with greet is good, Like that's lamb hoooning the whole idea of stockbrokers and the fact that all they care about is money and they have no morals. But yet all the stock brokers in New York like this is amazing, and could quote that thing end to end. So it's not really then lampouning it anymore, and it's not ironic. They're actually enjoying what's being said.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, all people who.
Speaker 4: Had a lot of people coming up with the director of the movie of American psycho saying, you know he's got a great morning routine. Is that Patrick Bateman?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so sometimes you can call yourself and you know that's the trap you can also fall into. But I mean it happens a lot with comedy writers. I think what people what finally makes the editor? I think in and I haven't been in too many writer rooms like the Simpsons, but I'm saying with stand ups, and I know a lot of my mates are writers, the writer's room is just bare knuckle brawling. We bring it back to a palatable level by the time something has to go to where or has to go to the stage. So sometimes when you just ran comics, yeah, it can be a big crook with comedy.
Speaker 2: Do you sort of stick around? Are your best mates in comedy the ones that you started out with or do you find and make new friends along the way or do you find you just sort of stick with your crew?
Speaker 3: Good question, And it's the friends we make along the way. No, it's it all of the above. You know, there's mates that you start with and then you stay friends with them, and then there's also yeah, comics that you yeah, you just find And I mean we're a bit of like a traveling circus, because there's also a thing of you sometimes see your mates less and less the more that you gig because you used to gig together on lineups. But then as we all get our own work and maybe become headliners and tour.
Speaker 2: On your own own families.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that you don't do shows together as much because they're doing their show and you're doing your show, so you maybe don't see them as much. But then when you do get to hang out, you so far.
Speaker 4: I've got to say something like the Melbourne International Comedy Festival must be a blast in that regard is oh, you know we're all here under the same under the same tent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is heaps of fun. I mean Adelaide Fringe I always find is the one where it's a fringe festival, which is which means for a lot of us we can say, oh yeah, if a joke doesn't work, like yeah, I mean it was up, it was, it doesn't matter. And then we're also a lot of us are away from home and now we've got families. You can kind of hang out and be like, yeah, I'm free during the day, what do you want to do? Like you gets to hang out with your mates. Finally, because when it is back in Melbourne I live, you've still got kid drop off, kid pick up, You've got you know, just things that you got to do in everyday life. But when you're away like that, it's fun.
Speaker 2: I was telling guy, because I've got a kid, two kids, one's five, don't forget the other one. Two children. It one's seven, one's five and five. I was just out of school, but I was saying, when you're a parent of young kids, no matter when you think you've got your life in check, there's always fucking something that happens to throw you off track again. You know, you can get you can be as organized as you want, but then something will happen. You know, you're just like why why, but you know, but you wouldn't have it any other way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good reminder. So you know, man makes plans and God laughs, like you just go, yeah, they're always going to and they also it's good for me too, the things that they'd throw at you. Like it was a couple of weeks ago, I was actually shooting this scripted comedy that's I think going to be coming out midyear for the ABC here in Australia and we had some friends over it. But I said, I've got to learn these lines because we're shooting tomorrow. And the friend who was over, she had her sons over and they're the same age as my daughter's, or primary school age, and she was talking to her son, going, yeah, because Dave learns those words because he's going to be shooting these things for TV. And she was nice enough to say, she goes, because Dave's famous. And my youngest was sitting on my lap and he goes, no, he's not. He hasn't been on TV in the ages, like he hasn't done anything. And I'm like, oh cool, thanks mate, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I saw you did the p's and v's bit about your kids as well.
Speaker 3: Yes there's all that stuff. I mean, kids just do tend to serve up all crazy things. But if you haven't seen it, this is all a true story. Which is a daycare and this is very Brunswick. On one day they taught all the kids or their entire body, including the special areas, which I can't speak for you guy, but we never had that growing up. You know, no one spoke about it. You got given where did I come from the book and she comes home and for the next six weeks, all she's talking about is penises and vaginas because that's what they spoke about in the class. Did for six weeks, and I finally said to her, Hey, it's fine that you know those words, but just stop. Don't do it outside of the house, okay. And then I go to pick her up the next night from daycare and she just across the room just goes, Daddy, you're a penis, like straight across the room to everyone. And then this is all true, And I say it in a bit. I was never quick on my feet, but I raised my voice to act like I had some authority in the daycare. And then I said to her, hey, you can only talk about dad's penis when we get hard and oh no, what am I doing? And that is all word for word true. So that's the great thing with kids. They also serve up those stories.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like your comedy has now you're talking about the simszens evolved and do you think that your comedy's evolved now they're becoming a parent in things? Do you feel like your brand of humor has shifted in some way?
Speaker 3: I mean dando, you could say devolved. I mean, I know something. There's always a slide on comedians where they go, what are you going to talk about your kids now that you've become a father.
Speaker 5: It's like, yeah, because there's nothing, what else am I doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yeah, it's it's certainly changed. I mean my family laughs because they said it's just moved downhill. Like I used to talk about when I started my mom on stage, and then it went to my wife, and now it's down to my kids. So my mum and my wife are now like, oh great, we dodged a bullet. Now we don't get spoken about.
Speaker 2: You get some cats soon you're talking about the cats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, exactly. But actually there was a nice thing about Rosebud because of that through line of Homer doing the roast on Monty Burns. It was as a stand up and this wasn't my intention why I picked the episode, But when I'm watching it again, I was like, oh god, I've been in that situation where you've just been thrown under the bus on an intro. Then you've got to bring the comedy.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's one of my favorite visits. The Poor Dog quietly awful, man.
Speaker 3: I've done it before. When you go to a fundraising and you're like, yeah, certainly it'd be great to like, I'll help you guys out, and then beforehand they will talk about whatever tragic thing they're raising funds for. It's for a very good cause, but they pull at the heartstrings and there's some like video footage sometimes of animals who have just been mistreated, and then they're like, well, we all need to laugh now, and you're like, oh.
Speaker 4: There are some of the comedy stylings of Dave Thorne exactly.
Speaker 3: You know who told me a story recently, because it's always corporate gigs, like some calldor from comedians you do corporate gigs is they pay quite well, you've got a mortgage, You go, yeah, sure, I'll turn up to this thing. And Claire Hooper, who's a great comic, who was telling me recently as he was doing a corporate gig, and she said it was for more of a blue collar business. I can't really remember what it was. But as they always do, the CEO MD whatever gets up and says he goes, all right, guys, you know you always get a stand up comedian at these things, and you know this year they said we had to have a woman, so here she is deep. That was the introduction for Claire Whopy. You're like, what what what made you think this was gonna be good?
Speaker 2: I'm sure she nailed it though, right, oh it.
Speaker 3: Made Yeah, Claire's a great act, but it was it's like, god, what's yeah. People think they just don't think it doesn't make a difference. They're almost like, well, you all funny, you'd be able to work through it, and you're like, not really, that's the equivalent of someone just tripping you up at the starter's block of one hundred meters and then going what, you're fast, you can work it out.
Speaker 2: How pivotal to the bit is the intro by the by the host, like is a pivotal part of the act, right yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean especially in those environments because people don't maybe have a touchdown it who you are, and so you kind of go, yeah, it does help. I mean I did a thing for I don't want to throw the person under the bus, but it was for It was a room full of people from media, and so there was a bit of like and there's sometimes not a great audience because I always have respect for anyone who hosts an awards not or anything that's got to do with TV or like music or cinema. But there always the people that are like, yeah, whatever I can do, I could have done that better.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I was doing one of those gigs and I just said to the host, because they were a bit chatty, I said, if you could just get them to be quiet, it will be amazing. Just I don't need a big intro. If you can just get them to settle and do everything, and then it's fine. Because it's a comic. You need people to listen. It's not like music. You can't listen to it in the background. You need to catch it. The host then went, oh, gay, guys, this next act bit of a prima Donna need you guys to shut up. And you're like, not exactly the greatest way to couch it could not high maintenance and the fact that I just want people to listen.
Speaker 2: Now, guys, I hope you're enjoyed this week's show. Remember, if you do you love everything we do here at four Finger disccant. The best way to show your support is by joining the four Finger Discant family on Patreon. You can do so for as little as just one dollar per month, but for five dollars you get access to hundreds of hours of bonus podcast at Exclusive Discord Facebook groups. Early add free access to the show. The list goes on. Obviously, we know you'd probably be happier with the dollar, but if you do have a spared dollar redo each month, we'd love for you to show you support and join the four Finger discamp family on Patreon, but as well again with rosebud here. So yeah. Written by Swartzworld, one of the most iconic Simpsons writers of all time, He's just this feels like a very Swartzwater episode and directed by Wes Archer the cash Gagles. The family find identical versions of themselves on the couch and are confused, but the episode kicks off here with a direct shot from Citizen Kane. Now we're touching on early how it's a Citizen Kane parody. I still don't know how much of it is a parody. You want to just give us a quick little recap of how much of it is actually a parody of Citizen Kane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, certainly that opening scene is a shop the shop, but of course they throw a little gag in there. With the odds. This is clearly the most forbidding place in town. You know, either got the hands and got the electrified fans, but you've also got free kittens in choir within.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the way that shot is.
Speaker 4: Done with the zoom, well, the pan up over the fence and going in the window this palatial estate. That's very much Citizen Kane.
Speaker 2: The story of Kine is a kid joins family with a billionaire or something.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, I mean yeah, the driving well, sort of the inciting incident of Citizen Kane is this, this young boy is basically taken away from his poor but loving family and place in the care of the beginning, he has given everything he wants but love essentially, So that's yeah. They replay that with a bit of a twist on that, I think in Citizen Kane. Not that he goes away reluctantly, but he's kind of like, I mean, sort of two minds about this. But his parents are saying, this wealthy old man can give you a much better life. I don't know, can I get to miss my parents? Mister Burn's like, let's roll. He's got his eyes on the prize from the get go, and then you cut mister Burn's waking up or no, he's holding the globe that rolls down and never never break, never break it. I think I think I've forgotten about this gag that Smithers comes in and they're just broken globes all over the place. But yeah, that's that's certainly a shot from Citizen Kan that I think Wells was a bit full of himself doing a fancy camera angle through the broken glass and all that.
Speaker 2: I really liked the transition to there where Bobo's in the snow. Then it pans out from the globe like he was inside the snow globe. Yeah, yes, this is where Smithers walks in. Because again, as I was touching earlier, he hasn't told Smither's about this Boba. This is a secret that he holds dear to himself. Do you think that's a case of he's trying to forget about it, so just don't bring up with anybody, always embarrassed by it.
Speaker 4: I think it's more like a yeah, he'd used it as a sign of weakness. Yeah, yeah, that he would be reliant on anything, reliant on anything for anything.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like, no, I've got no emotional needs whatsoever. I'm just about the accumulation of filthy Luca.
Speaker 2: I just love the disdain he has for Smithers, though the Smith's dedicates his entire life to helping him. He walks in, Oh, it's you bedpans under the pillow. Great, disgusting.
Speaker 3: My pillow under the.
Speaker 2: Under the pillow. Yeah, but spiders asked who Bobo Bobo is and he brings up he says, no, it's Shareff flow boy. She never should have canceled that show. Then they addressed the plans for his birthday have begun, and we get one of the most iconic visuals of all time.
Speaker 1: And another topic, the preparations for your birthday have begun. They won't get what they really want. No one does, people, mister Smithers.
Speaker 2: Mister Burn's coming out of the cake was always one of the more surreal moments for me when I was watching this as a kid. But I've always just loved how into it Burns was in Spinther's dream, like he wants to be bursting out of that cake. This is this is a present he's giving to him. Well you know what this is a shout out to as well. Well, it's there Marilyn Happy birthday to JFK.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, imagine imagine being Jackie on Nassus watching that ship. I mean, Jackie watching Marilyn monroj just come up and do the fucking sexiest rendition, had your birthday to your husband the president.
Speaker 3: There's also a Marilyn Monroe reference later on when they have the slideshow of what Monty's Yeah a seven year rich tress.
Speaker 4: Blowing up here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but it's hilarious stuff and just yeah, and again though, I think the ice is going to cake for me for that whole bit is as you're saying earlier, Smithers when he gets bumped behind my burns, it's Smithers satisfying, grown of this dream so great. But I just love how again, how heavy they leaned into Smith's sexuality back then, and they never they did At times, it was very rarely used as the punchline. It was just, you know, he loves his boss.
Speaker 4: And if they were gay gags, I mean they weren't necessarily Yeah, yeah, they weren't poking fun at Smithers.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 4: I mean, for me, the the apex of that is women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, women. Would you think.
Speaker 3: I was thinking exactly the same thing. And I think the great thing is that it also makes everything that Smithers does plausible because you would go, who would put up with this?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Only only a man in love?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. There was always a bit in Malibu Stacey as well, where it's like, hell, Loo, Smith, this, you're quite good at turning me on. And he says he turns to Lisa, who's baffled by what she's just saying. He goes, you probably should ignore that. I think it's a keep watching Symtos. You're like, yeah, I think I might just ignore that too. Right now, what's going on? I don't really want to know, But he says he's going to planning his birthday party. Homer meanwhile, was having a genuine nightmare about the cancelation of Sheriff Lobo, which I thought was a great callback lovely segue. Yeah. It wakes up to find out it's mister Burns's birthday, which means all these employees have to do a terrible job at his party. He always gets the bad jobs. He's the pinada at a previous party, holding the holding pinyard. Then we're at work and Burns and Smith as they see everyone laughing at the cave and blobber Smithers calls him Homer because he's got the coat hanger still in his clothes. They're stabbing him really, and Burns wanting to perform comedy at his party to harness his fractured take on modern life, and Smith says, yeah, I'm going to get him prepared for some symbadasque material. What's your thoughts on Sinbad the comedian? I remember hear from Jingle All the Way.
Speaker 3: That's a very early nineties reference Sinbad. And I don't know what the American point of view, because they were all they were all comedians or thereabouts in the writers. Whether that was like a you know, having a little big at Sinbad in Dad, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, but I think I think it's meant to be. Have you ever heard of them? Maybe you didn't live through this. There's the mandala effect, right. Kids in the nineties have this memory. And I have like vivid memories of seeing the cover and the ad that never existed of a Sinbad movie of him as a genie, but it was played by Simbad. I have so many memories of this. It never happened. There's a movie called Shazam with Shaquille O'Neil, and apparently for some reason, everyone kids kid just crossed. They heard the words the name Simbad and just assumed it was him. It's so bizarre. It's like there's his entire it's like thesis written on this thing that kids of the nineties think that Sinbad was in a film where he was a genie from a magic lamp. Never happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, was it? What is it that Sinbad? We would have known in Australia? What did he do?
Speaker 2: Or jingle all the jingle all the way for me as a kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the thing. I mean, if you asked me to do a Sindbad bit, let's look of Simbad film? Yeah, well, he was in a film with a film Hartman called House Guest.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know that one. Do you know that one day?
Speaker 3: No, I'm trying to think. I swear it was a TV thing that Simbad was in in the nineties, but I don't was it just.
Speaker 4: Called the Sinbad Show?
Speaker 2: Apparently it was a voice of character in the movie Planes.
Speaker 3: I mean, he did have the hoopy ear rings though, I remember that Shaquille O'Neil had in his first few years were the same thing, the big gold earrings and you're right, like a best Yeah, that's It's a funny Dano that you said that, because I do agree that I felt like I'd seen him as a genie and I could not tell you why it never happened.
Speaker 2: It's so weird. Yeah. Did you have any comedians that you did enjoy growing up before you decided to comedy? Is my thing? Who were the comedians that you enjoyed as a kid.
Speaker 3: I mean, I do hope to say this in it has mat as well with Bill Cosby. I mean it.
Speaker 2: Was he was. He was huge star.
Speaker 3: Yeah, himself is an amazing piece of I mean, this is that argument of the artist and the art, but oh yeah, absolutely himself is an incredible stand up show. That was I think one of the first I've ever seen. Billy Conley was a huge influence here in Australia. I mean he was the first person I've ever seen that swore. My parents are like, nah, that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: He was really big, wasn't he in Australia? Connolly?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because remember he would also do a lot of those he'd travel around Australia. He'd be on a giant trike, like this motorcycle with two wheels at the back, and then he would just travel to all these little players in Australia. It was the first one to do it in Australia in the eighties and nineties. That was huge. We never got people from overseas. I mean, people have to understand. When we have our TV awards, the logis it would be, you know, the eighth cast member from a really shit show that would come over and do a guest appearance and we'd all be losing our minds.
Speaker 4: But even before that, though, Dave, I mean, going back to the seventies, the logans attracted some huge names.
Speaker 2: It was wild.
Speaker 4: I mean it was I think there was a stage where John Wayne came over. It was like presenting the big award at the end. I mean, and this is when you know John Wayne was still John Wayne.
Speaker 2: We've got one star and we put all the budget into that, absolutely all.
Speaker 4: Muhammad Ali came over only to get you know, inavertently racially assaulted by Burton. Yes, rest in peace, Burton.
Speaker 2: But it's funny how there's because we grew up on those classic moments from Australian television shows like Top twenty and stuff like that, and I feel like we always have like the Burton Newton and Muhammed Ali moment. There's always key moments like the Graham Kennedy saying fuck on TV and that kind of thing that we all remember because they just repeated those. We've got like twenty classic moments of Australian taligent over like thirty years.
Speaker 4: But you're also right, David that, yeah, as the eighties progressed, certainly end of the night is like, yeah, we're we're not getting Jennifer Anderson, We'll get Matt LeBlanc. He can come over and present the Gold LOGI some would argue better.
Speaker 3: I think I remembered Matt LeBlanc being on the logis and kind of giving this look of like, what what's happened? I'm gonna have to follow?
Speaker 2: Where am I?
Speaker 4: By the end, no one's really been briefed about you know, this is Australian Televisions night, and I was like, what the fuck am I doing here?
Speaker 2: And it's never really changed, has it. Legies are still the logies like it's just.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, but I mean, who's the international person they bring out these.
Speaker 2: They like to think it's prestigious. I guess at least we have some pretty big names coming from a shot that the Hemsworths and who else we got from Australia. Oh, Margaret Robbie, she's another star.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you attend Day? Did you attend the Logans in in stage?
Speaker 3: I haven't. Actually, it's been the one thing. And mind you again, having done some corporates now, different awards in different sectors, I'm like, oh, I think I'm good because it is all the ward nights. I find it just drag on and it's I've been strangely to some LOGI after parties because I never went to the Logis. But then when it was in Melbourne, people be like, just come the after party. I was like, yeah, okay, they'd be sick. So there's a bit of that, and I mean I think also now, I mean, Danny, you just pointed out how we've got a lot of Australians over in America and they're making a fair dint. It's it's so much further away back then, like even you're talking about the Simpsons in ninety three, like America felt like it was it was a world away, like it's not too It wouldn't be unusual for, you know, one of my kids mates to go over to America and come back on holiday just randomly. When back then you're like if anyone hit it over, like are you kidding me? Walls at like like it would must have been mass a.
Speaker 2: Friends of mine would go to America like on school holidays and I go, I saw the New Details movie six months before it. Then we come out here and you're like, fuck, wow, how is this happening?
Speaker 3: Well that was exactly right, wasn't it was? You would get things. I mean, you talk about these Simpsons series, I'm sure they would have aired two years after they Woh yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I think by the end we were about six to eight months behind. I remember when the who Shot Mister Burns thing? I always remember this a guy in Australian radio. I can't I don't know who his name was, but he got fired because what he did was he found out who shot mister Burns because it was delayed here in Australia and I were about to air the premiere of season seven, which is part two of Who Shot Mister Burns? Where it was like who done? Can you believe it. And this is before the Internet, so you know, most people didn't know, right, and we spent all summer, work in winter or whatever was trying to work out who did it. And it's sort of like this Lackey guy on the radio was like it was a baby and you can just and it's like everyone's like, what the fuck did you just do? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you could did it because it wasn't any Internet. The only experience I've ever had of that was Master Sheef Australia, and I don't it still the case, but it's pretty big in South Africa. And I did gigs in like twenty ten in South Africa and they were up to about season three of Master Chef like it was, they were like six years behind. I'd never seen it before, and.
Speaker 2: So Master Chef Australia is big over there.
Speaker 3: It's big over there. And then I'm doing these gigs and it was weird because I did a show and again there's a lineup gigs and I was on with some pretty heaby it is, to be honest in hindsight, I was on gigs with like Trevor Noah and Theo Vaughn and these. It was crazy and we're doing this gig and Australia had just played South Africa in a rugby union international, which, as we know from Geelong, we don't care about rugby, but South Amparica's love rugby, and Australia did beat South Africa. And then there's a gig on that night and when I walked on stage, everyone started barring because you know the jokes that people say about New Zealanders like the fuck she well, they have the same jokes about us, like it just seems to pass around the southern hemispy.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: And so I'm on stage they also barring like sheep, and I'm like, what's going on? And then I actually talk to the audience and they go, yeah, you know, you guys are sleeping with sheep and I was like okay, right yah. And then they're like, I'm like, are you annoyed about the rugby gaming?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, whatever?
Speaker 3: Was like I said, I don't even follow it, I don't even care, and they were all like boom boo, and I said, RIGHTO, I'm going to let you all know who won Season three of Marster Chef and then.
Speaker 2: We'll be good. We had Reyo Leary on the show a few weeks back, and he were saying that when he goes to Scotland he has to kind of sort of just completely change his routine to an extent, because a lot of his jokes land in Australia, but over there they've got no idea what he's talking about. Do you find that when you go do gigs overseas you got to sort of change You might say a similar joke, but you sort of tweak the pun flying to an extent.
Speaker 3: I didn't. I didn't really found it too bad. I mean, I again, I haven't been internationally for a while now. I don't find it it was too much of a trouble. I mean, obviously you take references out. There's no point in pointing out you know, it was crossing the Yarra River and they're like, well, yeah, I don't know what that means. But I fainly. The funny thing is I find posting clips online is funny because it's so many times it is Americans, and I now Americans listen to these podcasts where there's things like you'll do the British spelling of something and people go, that's not real, and you're like it is. It's another way of spelling it, like it's just and there might be a turn of phrase that people go, I even know what he's trying to say, and you're like, I don't know, just look it up. It's okay. Like English language does change slightly in other places.
Speaker 2: It's like how they say caramel instead of caramel, Like, what are we doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, aluminum illumine.
Speaker 4: What I always say about Americans is they took the A out of caramel and they put it in paraplegic, because it's like, I don't know how many Americans I've heard use the term paraplegic, so even doing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry, what yeah, yeah, I just do find it quite just funny. I'm like, yeah, guys, like things have things can be different overseas. It's okay.
Speaker 2: But speaking speaking of writing comedy there, so Hom's right in the roast here, Marge's isn't sure about whether this is a good idea, and Lisa that I could work if you treat this roast properly, and Homer brings up the fact that he's got a killer send off an impression of mister Burns where he draws his face in his ars and turns around, drops his pants. Now, I'm not too sure about this. The newspaper here burns his birthday, his birthday has arrived, credits Long Life to Satan from a billion dollars, and then Homer is greating. I love here. So Home is getting ready. He's right into this. He's taken it. He's taken a whole new moniker. He's got the wet hair, he's holding a golf club, he's got the jacket on. He's ready to go, and I love it. So he mentions incontinent, and Lisa's like, do you even know what it means? Lisa, don't spoil my fun Like the joke. The joke works, but he has no idea why it's funny. I just love the idea that, in a scene that they've probably deleted, Home is watching old roasts and just getting key buzzwords to say during his routine.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the thing. I mean, I'm guessing that the sports jacket and the golf club is probably a shatter to someone like Bob Hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bobs, yeah, And I mean.
Speaker 4: There are so many sort of quote unquote boom of references throughout this episode that yeah, yeah, even I'm going to count you in this day. But as young men, you and I were watching this going not one hundred percent sure I get exactly what they mean here, but yeah, if you're in the waiver, in the groove, you'll probably will find some way to look it up or I mean, one thing I've always said about the sense is if you're watching it with someone who knows a little bit more than you do, they kind of turned into comic book guy or a good version of comic book guys, like you know what, you know what that actually means? You know, you knew what they were referring to there.
Speaker 2: That's me and watching the film with my wife, I feel like I have to stop it. She's after watch she goes, I know you know what it means. I don't care, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean I do love in that scene where bad when he goes in Kartna too rich.
Speaker 4: Well, that's great as well that the Simpsons men that just have this terrible low brows sense of humor just tickled by this shit ever and the women is going, oh god, but.
Speaker 3: Also too rich is like something you would say in the fifties, like like.
Speaker 4: Too rich, well, I want to I actually want to We'll get to it when we get to it. But yeah, there's a phrase that Bart uses a little later on. I'm like, what is this? What is it? Why do this? Or we'll get to it.
Speaker 2: We'll get to it. Okay, Yeah, marchas Key's stay tuned. March just stopped being rude. Hama says, the roasts and American tradition, what gives us the freedom to criticize our social betters. And then he goes outside and says, Flanner smells up and you are. Then everyone's entering Burns's party. We've got Mayor quimby Reagan Nixon. Bush tries to enter, but no one term is so he gets sent to the wolves with Jimmy Carter. Jimmy Carter. Jimmy Carter, Yes, who does not? Bush does not want to be friends with It's a good yogurt place.
Speaker 3: Do you want to tell me for a good yoga place? Get it leave for me your loser.
Speaker 2: Yes. Then he introduces this is the other bit about the remote bit that I love the fact that Smithers has booked them but has no idea who they are. Several fine young men who I'm sure are going to go far and just blow the roof off the joint. It's actually a fucking great rendition of Happy Birthday? Am I right?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well it's I mean that is the Ramones. What's their famous song? Yeah, it is great. It is that tune, Yeah, blisskip pop? Is that the one screen pop?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's very I mean many of the remote songs sound the same. They sound very similar. But yeah, just that that intro.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but anytime they kick one two three bolt, I'm sorry that love it, love it.
Speaker 2: Just got your best, even kick before the.
Speaker 4: One two three, I just like to say the gig sucks. I'm showing my pop ignorance here.
Speaker 2: By the way, I.
Speaker 4: Tend to have blind spots. For a very long time, I didn't really as the Ramones were actually not brothers.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, well, it's like the one of the odds.
Speaker 4: The Ramone family got together and you know, they formed a rock and roll band. Good for them, and they were oh wait no, they're all taken on stage.
Speaker 3: Then it's just a punk version of the Partridges, like the Parents. The jacket, you'll wear it and you'll like.
Speaker 2: But yeah, just the sensational from beginning to end and Ben's heating on all of these presents. We mentioned the Australia with the candles before. I have some sad news to report.
Speaker 1: A small poppy, not unlike Lassie, was just run over in the parking lot. And now it's time for the comedy stylings of Homer Simpson. Are you ready to laugh?
Speaker 4: The poor dog?
Speaker 1: I said, why are you ready to laugh?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 2: At you awful man? I think Homer started with are you ready to laugh? Is just like.
Speaker 4: Something I really did though, was just when Smith this is talking comedy, He's really using some of the cliches. I think we're probably big throughout the eighties and nineties, but fracture takes on modern life is wonderful. But then, yeah, please enjoy the comedy stylings of Yeah, of momus. It's like imagining introduced with like the day the comedy stylings of Dave Thornton.
Speaker 2: Everybody, are there are there things that comedians just should not start a gig with? For example, are you ready to laugh? Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you ready to laugh? I mean that is a very old trope. I think that they're also being up, but yeah, are you ready to laugh? Like like the expectation because We always say expectation is the worst for stand up comedy. Don't ever say, you know, this is the greatest stand up comedian you've ever seen. No doubt this guy. Like it's like, no, nah, don't set that expectations. People go okay, radio, So this is the best comedian, is it. Let's see how this goes and we'll see here in Australia and so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you reading the tap poppy central of the world?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, What does that woman say in the crowd? You guys quiet?
Speaker 2: You man.
Speaker 4: At Homer desperately trying to think on his feet, just how can I save the set?
Speaker 2: But speaking of hack comedians, we're talking about South Park earlier. Jimmy, what a wonderful audience.
Speaker 4: I was got a name check earlier because I thought I was trying I was trying to do a comic book impersonation. It sounds a lot more like Jimmy. You know what it actually mean when they see this.
Speaker 2: Are you a fan of South Park? Dave?
Speaker 3: I do. I'm not avid, Like I don't watch it consistently, but yeah, yeah, it's great.
Speaker 2: If you're going to go back and watch anybody, it's Jimmy. Watch Jimmy, Oh yeah, you guys are really agree, you're really a great what agreed?
Speaker 4: We were sitting their invitation for you to be on our south Back podcast, by the way.
Speaker 2: But Homer's, as he said here, you know, it's a tough audience. So he goes to the Big Guns where he just drops his pants and am mister Burns, Dam damn. Mister Ben's not a fan, so he says, destroy him. Party is I We get the shot of them just beating the shit out of everybody who's at the party. Homer has a bump where did I lose him? And then he promises to never wiggle his ass in public again, But Bart says, don't worry, please, don't deny the world. I fact can and it will be ready for someone's birthday party. Then Bart is going through. Burns is going through his collection here, and despite having as you were saying earlier, Arthur's Excalibar, the only existing NEWD photo of Mark Twain and the initial early draft of the Constitution with the word suckers, he just wants his bear Bobo. He tries to deny it, but then this is where we get the first sort of real open you don't really get emotional burns all that often in the earlier seasons, But I loved Harry Sheer is acting here of just oh God, how I want my bear? He just really just wants this stuff Teddy, because this episode, for all the laughs, does have a genuine emotional.
Speaker 4: Story through it, an emotional underpinning.
Speaker 2: We get Bobo's journey here, so he arrived in New York nine twenty seven, Lindy takes on the spirit of Saint Louis, goes to Paris, throws the bear.
Speaker 4: To Hitler and get some griet and he got to Linda at the.
Speaker 2: End of the World War. He blames the the end of the war on Bobo, so he throws and away ends back up at the North Pole nineteen to fifty seven. He gets frozen and then collected for ice for the QUICKI March, which we've already touched on, which is just hilarious. How when he meant that they lose four three lost four four good men, Yeah you got chose more than a dollar a bag. But then arrives to get some ice here and he says it's ahead in this one. It's chock full of heady goodness. I'm always a big fan of a poo when he tries to improvise on his feet, you know, when he's selling a dodgy product. You know, this one's chock full of heady goodness. What's your thoughts on the whole of Pooh situation A poo no longer being on the Simpsons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny, isn't it, Because you spoke earlier just about you know, chokes that don't work anymore, like in Demolition Man. Yeah, And it was funny when I started playing the episodes to the kids, and it was a scene from Home of the Heretic where he a Poo, has to go help out with a fire and he says to the Jimbo and the boys he goes, don't steal anything, and they're like, oh, we won't. And then he grabs this child from behind the counter and says a little jump stop if you can look after the store when I'm gone, And the kids have something waiting for this moment, and Cox a double loaded rifle and the guys are shocked, and I to my kids did the Appoo thing, you know, going and quoting them, and they lost their minds. They're like, this is the greatest and wanting me to do it, and then we were out at a cafe and they're like.
Speaker 2: Do it, Dad? Do the boys? Dad?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not? And I then stupidly like, then I had to explain the situation of why not?
Speaker 2: And it is.
Speaker 3: It's a tough one, isn't it, because I can understand where people coming from. But I know you've had some of the people involved in the show before about it, but they said it wasn't us lampooning him necessarily, it was you know, Pooh is a nice character. We did it with love, but I guess it was Hanka's area. Is that right who voiced Yeah? And so I don't know, as a straight white dude, I don't think I've got to solve this bubble?
Speaker 4: What's that learn from that South poat? We're staying out of this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gotta touch this one of a ten foot pole. But yeah, so Bart finds it, thinks it's disease, so he gives it to Maggie and this is where Maggie gets her hands on Bobo the bear. We get the cool shot of goes to the tag first of all SS one hundred percent cotton. Then it's bobo name written on the.
Speaker 4: Tag, but instantly imprints I just love at first sight.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Smithers then enters as a furry dressed as Bobo the Bear tells him to tug at my fur, and Burns is not having none of it. He tells Smithers to go find his teddy. He says, leave the costume. The Smithers is putting the face and all the milk cartons we touched on earlier as well, and Homer's watching the news report here about Bobo the Bear. I think this scene was just purely there to explain why can't Homer just see that the bear is the Actually he's such an oblivious idiot, like the Brockman saying might be held up, I love one right in front of your face right now, and he's like, moldy old, I'm gonna get something to eat. Then we have Frank with the robot bear, who just ends up attacking Burns. Doesn't go well. Then the scene where Homer finally realizes that they have Bobo. Now is this music? Is this from a movie? This? This feels like a movie parody with the music playing and the old shot.
Speaker 4: And I was always curious about this, and my curiosity was not satisfied. Rewatching it for this episode, I was like, Yeah, it's this.
Speaker 2: You through the fish tank and the music's playing and the.
Speaker 4: Music feels like Enya or something like that.
Speaker 2: It feels like it feels like it's meant to be something.
Speaker 4: It's such a cinematic type of sequence. Yeah that you think, oh, they've got to be referencing something here, but goodness only knows what now.
Speaker 2: Guys, I hope you're enjoyed this week's show. Remember, if you do love everything we do here at four Finger discount, the best way to show your support is by joining the four Finger Discant family on Patreon. You can do so for as little as just one dollar per month, but for five dollars you get access to hundreds of hours of bonus podcast, our exclusive discord Facebook groups, early ad free access to the show. The list goes on. Obviously, we know you'd probably be happier with the dollar, but if you do have a spared dollar redo each month, we'd love for you to show your support and join the four Finger Discamp family on Patreon. But Homer, he realizes they've got the bed to have a family meeting.
Speaker 3: Well, Burns isn't getting this back? Cheep. I can tell you that he's gonna have to give me my own recording studio, Petty cheez because Je Burn, you're drilling out the making out.
Speaker 2: Can you do the big maxon? Did you ever used to do it when you were a kid. My mom says to me that, I know, maybe it was when you were younger. If you used to go to mc donald's and you could say it under like three seconds or something, they'd give you a free big Mac. Is that true?
Speaker 4: Ah, that was a legend. Absolutely, yeah, Yeah, that was it too well.
Speaker 3: Beat patty special sauce that it's us became super.
Speaker 2: It sounds so stupid and trying to explain this to anyone under the age of like twenty five, like, what the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but again, we all had the same touchdown, so we all did it.
Speaker 2: But don't you feel like McDonald's in particular, that really just suck the fun out of the fast food franchises. I was a kid going to McDonald's feel like you're going to a fucking play center. The seats were shaped like cheeseburgers. You had run on McDonald runn around the joint, you had birthday parties, now you go to McDonalds and it feels like you're fucking entering an Ikea store.
Speaker 3: Yes, there was one in Belmont that really used to be It was funny because it had it's not a merry go round, but it's one of those. It was weird because you would one of those I don't know what you would call them. You sit in it and then you toil it. You have a wheel in the middle and you would just start toirling yourselves and it was like a little canister you sat inside this thing. But it was funny. After you bea at a birthday party, you would have had all this fried food and then ice cream cake and then everyone's like, let's go on that. And the amount of kids that yacked out the side of that it was crazy.
Speaker 2: Do you remember when the birthday parties to at macas when they'd take the kids on a tour of the kitchen and you just you get like ten kids just walking around the kitchen while these teenagers are making cheeseburgers. Did you ever have a McDonald's birthday party?
Speaker 3: No, I did have a McDonald's party. You don't remember the tours? I think, yeah, I don't remember any of that. I mean, you're right, it's not the journey it used to be. And I guess maybe it was built as a bit of a special treat where now it's probably just for hungover people.
Speaker 2: Now McDonald's is cheaping and going to the supermarket and buying your own food. So yeah, that is it.
Speaker 4: I don't know you go in there, I mean, if you if you're not doing the drive through, I mean, if you actually go in. It sounds like it sounds like the end scene from Terminator where she goes into that goes into that factory and you know they turn all the machines on because you can just hear it from the back ground. I don't want this quarterbanda anymore.
Speaker 2: I know you'll have to auder your food at a screen, even though there's people there. I was like, he's like, no, no, we don't take our orders here, we just give you the food. I'm like, what do you mean I want to I want to tell you what I want.
Speaker 4: How else am I going to let you know that I don't want pickles in this burger?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I remember I had that at Subway recently, where I did that and saying, think you just do it on the screen I'm like, you're sitting in front of the food, and I'll point out it's actually easier than looking it up on the screen.
Speaker 2: It's right there. You're a human being. I can't talk to them old men shaving their fist. That clouds Yeah, exactly, but basically here so least it says we should just give it to him. The boys all laugh at them, because as you would. And then Marsia just we should say the eyeback on. But but has the idea or send it to him because you'll offer more. He thinks the bear's in trouble. And then Marge says, no, I'm sure he'll make a fair off it that will make him double it. I always love it when Marge gets a little moments of greed and things like that. Very unlike Marge. Then Homer shows mister Burns that he has Bobo. He goes to his house and the moment you're touching on earlier and he says, I can't really give you much of a rewards. I'm strapped for cash, and the place falls down and Homer then turns turns down the drink. He turns down his first offer and leaves, and mister burn says it won't take him long to crack, cuts to mister Homer's neck actually cracking, tries to call him back, maybe I can still get that drink, and you found me have to stop him from calling back. Then burns and smithers. They arrive at the home and Homer asks for a million dollars and three Hawaiian islands, the good ones, not the leper one. And unfortunately it's stuck. It's because Maggie doesn't want to let it go. Now we've both touched on how we're parents here right young kids. We love our kids to death. Do anything for him. I'm sorry, but if this bear is the difference between me being a millionaire and not being a millionaire, I'm snatching that bear to that kid's hand. I'm giving it to the billionaire billionaire. What about you?
Speaker 3: You know this is it's funny. I've never thought about this again until now, Which is I found out my eldest had a bear that she loved, and then my partner said, yeah, she loves that bear. Is that funny? My ex gave it to me and I just never cared for it. And I said, so what she said, Yeah, my ex gave me that bear. I just let it sit there, but it's good that she's playing with it. And I'm like, no, no, no, that's your ex.
Speaker 2: Why would you tell me this?
Speaker 3: And then there was here in Australia. It's a show called Hugh's If We Have a Problem, hosted by Dave Hughes. And then the producers are like is there a problem? Like this is a problem, and they're like what would you do? Would you bring a bear in? I'm like absolutely, And I decapitated the bear on the air because I was like, my child does not need this. I don't want to know that my ex, that my partner's ex is giving my child joy. So it's all off. And so I've done this for no money. I mean I just did it on air because it was fun television. So yeah, for a million dollars, absolutely, I would rip that bear out of that child.
Speaker 2: Can sorry, kid, you'll thank me one day.
Speaker 3: I mean, I love my kids, but just someone said I'll give you a million dollars one I'm I'll be like, I'm just gonna think about this for a second. Hang on a second, yink?
Speaker 2: Yeah get the Simpsons created that turn yink? I do? Yeah, I did not realize this, did Dan I use your yo time? Yeah? Yoink is a Simpsons line they made. Yeah, is that.
Speaker 3: Because I've seen Dan Cason Aller get interviewed where a lot of those voice guys are there fans of old Fordville performers, and they've stolen a lot of those, you know, because yoink does feel like a nineteen twenties frames, you know what I mean, Like someone wud be on stage going, oh hell we ow boys.
Speaker 2: How are next thing?
Speaker 4: You know, the big cane comes out and graz around the neck.
Speaker 2: Yink totally, or something you've seen like a comic book, you know, like a batmanlink.
Speaker 3: Yes, the old Batman's here. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: But this is where they say we don't need your money. He leaves you made a terrible mistake and then smashes through the window in his car. He's hit three people when he's got no assurance. Then Burns and Smith. This is the moment you're talking on earlier, where they try sneaking onto the roof. They gas out Flanders and then they get stuck in between. Margin offers some cocoa with some cocoa, yes, then we get the suction cups on the roof. Now your thoughts and the sixty four slices of American Cheese. This is one of the most iconic moments in the history of the Simpsons. I can't quite pinpoint why I found this so funny, but I just think it's just it's so I think it's just got so ludicrous. And the fact that Homer it's the one time, one of the many, one of the few times his love of food has worked in his favor because he is preventing them. He's foiling their plan to get the bear by eating all this cheese all night.
Speaker 4: Is he doing this deliberately or is he sleepwalking?
Speaker 2: No sleep? He's sleep eating, sleep eating You think, okay?
Speaker 3: Just that true? One eating cheese? I think I'm blind.
Speaker 4: He's got plenty of sees it all the way through, though, Well done.
Speaker 1: Chexty voice Laces of American Cheese.
Speaker 3: Four three.
Speaker 1: Have you been up on night eating cheese?
Speaker 3: I think I'm blind?
Speaker 2: Oh what's your idea of a perfect midnight snack?
Speaker 3: Dave? I don't mind cheese, to be honest. So even when I was a kid, I watched that and thought, yeah, that does make sense.
Speaker 2: Are you Are you like the thick like proper cheese or you that's like the Kraft singles kind of guy though as.
Speaker 3: A kid singles. But now, I mean you have cheese platters as an adult to think, oh, yeah, this is adult food. But it's the same concept, is it not? You eating cheese downing in with some wine, going what kind of dreams am I going to have tonight? We'll see how this sorts itself out. But yeah, that's sixty four slaves of American cheese. Is just that lives rend free in my head. I don't know what it is, and I don't even know if sixty four slides of American jews was a thing like they came in packets of sixty four. I don't know, but I found it funny in the moment, and I still find it funny now. And even just when burns and spinners dropping near the suckers good deed.
Speaker 2: Good deed, they're still blight about it. Then homers at work, random workers are asking they want to see the geeky vote he happens to his children more than money. Then smither says report for much worse duties, which is him being whipped whilst he's making the little donut thing spin around. Homan then offers Maggie a cardboard box. Is one of the scenes that was edited out of TV. And what I liked about this here is Maggie seems like she's keen on the box, so this could potentially could have worked. But Homer, being the that is, he was more interested in the box and he took it away from that, so he followed his own plan here. Then March says they need a new hair dryer, and he says, I think he must he must hate me for not taking that money. She's like, no, I'm proud of you. And we get that. He pulls out the box once again. Then Maggie is watching Barney. I don't know why this sticks with me, but the two two is for That's just something that's just sometimes I'm just walking around, I'll just hear that in my head. I'm like, why why do I hear that in my head? Just that that. But but Barney was such a big part of my child. I was young in the nineties, so we watch a lot of Barney. We rag on marketing people a fair bit. But honestly, they are evil geniuses. I mean, if they came up with two ll be Patty special sauce. There's cheese pickles only in the sesame seed bun, which I can still recide to this day. Or just the simple ship that Barney was saying that nonetheless gets stuck in kids' heads and you know, get some learning arithmetic. It's still pretty wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I just love that home. It's like no wonder pul like this.
Speaker 2: Love and this is unfortunate where Burns starts taking over. The TV gets to the Sole mass Transit System aerobic show. I guess it is the bumblebee Man Sole.
Speaker 4: Mass Transitism you know that is No, I don't know what that is. That's a riff on soul train, you know, soul trainers, right, no trains like it was like the American version of count the Black American version of Countdown. Ah, they have soul music all the time and you would always have people dancing on it. Okay, I think there's old footage.
Speaker 2: Why would I know this?
Speaker 4: Why would you not?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's money that the mass transit system would have been the dig like they can't trademark, they can't use soul training. Yeah, Soul mass transit system.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 4: I want to say, there's like footage, like archival footage of like Samuel L. Jackson dancing on Soul Train or something. Oh yeah, okay, yeah, I really don't need to google this, but they're like, yeah, some famous star is on there, just grooving in the background or something.
Speaker 2: But Burns has taken over all seventy eight channels, and you think he says to Homer, you think they're gonna be fine because you've got beer. Well, unfortunately I've diverted all beer trucks from Springfield. Really good music queue here, and he says that the rest of you beer swelling two jockeys have a problem. Talk to Homer Simpson. At the Barney moment, you're touching on who's at the doors with the gun, which is a lot of confronting visual, but you're just kind of like, oh shit, because you know you're gonna shoot Homer. But then he slams a door on his face. Here's a going to go off. Obviously shot a woman, and that's the end of that.
Speaker 4: It doesn't really play well at six pm on Channel ten on a week made.
Speaker 2: The bullies aren't about to beat up Bart at score because Nelson's dad can't get a beer. But that Martin interrupts him with the first snap dragon of the season. That's one of your favorite characters, right.
Speaker 4: What's not to love about it? He is so happy with the first step rag in the season, little sagean shoes and you know, well, day your shoes will be a spicy treat.
Speaker 2: Now we get the Smithers Burns sitcom, the classic yes moment.
Speaker 1: Smithers I'm home?
Speaker 2: What already?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: Is it my imaginationized TV getting worse?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: You got.
Speaker 2: I love this? What do you think this sitcom was called? It's like a regular odd couple sitcom, but they seem like they get along. But what's what's that sitcom called?
Speaker 4: Do you think it's called burns?
Speaker 2: Notice burns? Notice?
Speaker 3: Well, well done that?
Speaker 2: Or third degree burns? And it Smither's getting hurt in every episode?
Speaker 3: Yeah a Monty Burns.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: See, there's why Dave Thornon' Dave Thornton.
Speaker 3: Workshop got her own little writers through the angry crowd outside home and thinks Look has come to apologize, but they're there to steal the bear.
Speaker 2: They take it from Maggie and then realize, oh god, what have we done. Maggie's sad, so they go back in and they go to sing songs at the hospital.
Speaker 4: Give them the word mob a bad name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Burns and comes to get spidtherstew beg one more time. He's conceding, look you've won, and Homan then says, look, it's not up to me. It's it's Maggie's bear. It's not up to me to go back to you. So he goes to see Maggie. He approaches the sandpit. Great shot here of we're seeing it from Maggie's point of view. She's looking up at Burns. He's towering over her. So she clings onto the bear and she offers him her dummy, and we hit the paparazzo. Take the photo of him trying the dummy. We'll get to the best pup. Riad's a bit in the second though. He then tries to tricker and tries to snash the bear. He can't beaten by an infant. What could be more humiliating?
Speaker 3: What a scoop?
Speaker 2: What a scoop? Damn you, what a scoop. It's just one of the funniest things.
Speaker 4: I was telling the Dano the start of my writing career. I've worked at Forte down here un forte yes, and yeah, we were just sort of, you know, covering local bands and things like that. But my fellow journals and I went off and say, what a scoops? Hey, we've got an interview with Stephen Cummings.
Speaker 3: What a school.
Speaker 2: Do you have any? Do you have any quotes in your life? Dave that you say very often that you sort of you knew that from the Simpsons, but you might have forgotten they came from the Simpsons, and you go, what, oh, that's right, it's from that Simpsons episode. Like what a scoop? For me was a big one. I was like, oh, it's from the Simpsons. Yes.
Speaker 3: And then also when I'm trying to think the movie, I think it was a Krusty movie or the Ittune Scratchy movie. And they're all waiting to go to the cinema and one of the bridges goes up like it does like London Bridge does when a prison and a guy goes yeah.
Speaker 2: I say that a lot, ah man, But yeah, So mister Burns gives up and gets a photo taken of and what a scoop? He says to her, Look, don't make the same mistakes I did. He's conceided look you when you can have the bear. And because of this, because he says, look, you can have the bear, just look after it, she says, you know what, you can have your bear back in it for me, Bobo, and he clings on to it, and he says, I'm actually happy. Take note, Smithers, I'll only be good and kind to everyone going forward. I've got no pencil. I'm sure I'll remember it. And as we get the ending, where Homer says, I'm not sure it's a happy you're a sad ending. It's an ending that's enough, and Birds is now in bed with Bobo. He's having a dream here about the future with the future holes. For Bobo, it's a million ad. The monkey's now in charge. Planet of the APPEs reference home is getting whipped. He's now the horse, I guess you could say. And then he says, I know I said this every century, Bobo, but I'll never leave you behind again, runs off as a robot and Smithers is a robot dog. And that's the end of Rosebud.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with a little bit of Planet of the Apes music over the closing credits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just there's so much to one pack there. I think there's jokes we skimmed over, but it was just would have taken too long. But yeah, thank you for choosing Rose by Day. Fantastic episode and it's one that I for some reason never revisit all that often. And then I'll put this on I went. I forgot how incredible this one was because it always gets put into the same sort of category as like mar Address of the Monorail and whatnot when it comes to greatest episodes of all time. But as much as I enjoy Margress of the Monorail, I feel like it's become sort of just the easy go to for what's the best episode of all time? It's funny, but I think this one is a lot funnier than Margress of the Monorail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's hilarious. And I also I'm throwing this to you two guys who know a lot more about this than me. Do you think that last scene, I know it's a planet of the apes were referenced, but the head and the jar? Is that where Futurama the first idea. That's the first time I'd seen something like that. I don't feel like a head in a jar is not planning of the apes. I don't think no, not at all.
Speaker 2: So that was like the gimmick all the celebrities from the from from now in the year three thousand, we're all heads in a jar for Futurama. Not too sure. Maybe they've got that, maybe they like that visual. They could have been it. I thought that could work. Yeah, put that in because I'm essentially later the show set in the year three thousand and how are we going to get current people who are alive now as guest stars. How can we have them alive in the future besides just being the whole classic they've been frozen. I think head in the jar. It's just a funny visual as well. Correct down I will anyway, that is Rosebud. But yeah, Dave again, let's talk about your upcoming tour, which starts in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, guys, people go on my Socials, Dave Underscore, Thorno just on all the platforms. You'll see the links there too. My brand new hour of stand up comedy that will be touring through all the major cities around Australia. And so it all kicks off at the start of March in Adelaide and then we're going all the way through. So if you're listening to this and you're in a major city or near a major city here in Australia, yeah, grab some tickets and I'll see if I can slip some Simpsons references in.
Speaker 4: A little disappointed you didn't go full Aussie with your online handles and go Dave O Thorno, Yeah, letting the side down days.
Speaker 3: I know, well, since it is the worldwide aspointed, you know, yeah, it would be exactly that, Dave yeh na oh Thorno.
Speaker 2: Underscore, go cats exactly. Now, guys, I hope you're enjoyed this week's show. Remember, if you do love everything we do here at four Finger Discount, the best way to show your support is by joining the four finger Discount family on Patreon. You can do so for as little as just one dollar per month, but for five dollars you get access to hundreds of hours of bonus podcast at Exclusive discord Facebook groups. Early add free access to the show. The list goes on. Obviously, we know you'd probably be happier with the dollar, but if you do have a spared dollar redo each month, we'd love for you to show your support and join the four Finger discamp family on Patreon. How often do you come back to John Wessure, We've got lot of family that still live here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I come back.
Speaker 2: Do you still consider Gelong home?
Speaker 3: I only did the mat for recently realised I've lived in Melbourne now for longer in my life, but I guess I've.
Speaker 2: Still How old were you when you moved to Melbourne?
Speaker 3: So when I was seas when I was twenty one, and then came back when I was twenty four, so it's been yeah about yeah, I think twenty years and.
Speaker 2: Life and Geelong was fairly shit twenty years ago. I can imagine why you'd want to move out of it. I mean, that's not a great deal better now, but it's certainly better than what it was twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: I used to defend it all the time in Melbourne because people would That's the thing I.
Speaker 2: Was going to ask you, do you have to constantly feel like do you tell people in Melbourne I'm from Geelong or it's just easier not to No.
Speaker 3: I tell them I'll always be proud about it. And then well, this is very specific because people and sometimes in Melbourne when I was first heading out my twenties, they'd be like what school did you go to, which is that's an interesting question. But I'd go Belmont High School, and because I'd say it so quickly, they'd go on Melbourne High and I'm like, oh, no, I went to a suburban high school in Geelong. And then they're like, oh, Geelong. And this was always my thing. When a new story comes out, it's like, you know, a stabbing happened in Geelong, and I was like, hang on a second, I know where it happened in Geelong. There's certain areas where that absolutely happened. And I said, when you're in a major city like Melbourne, people would go, oh, there was a stabbing in whatever suburb and you go yeah, because they specifically understand that, but they would lump Gelong into one thing, and I'm like, we've also got trap suburbs, okay, so yeah, of course, and it did. It has gotten a hell of a lot better. And I think because we like heading down the coast down there, so quite off a head through Geelong and my mum's still down there, my brother and some really good mates, so yeah, I'm always heading there.
Speaker 2: I always put it's a direct correlation. But when the cats got good, I feel like Geelong started to lift its game as a city. It's like the city itself just became a bit of a happier place to be around. I think, because it's weird. Sports teams just have that impact on regional towns and regional cities. When that team's doing well, the city feels everyone's walking around with the spring in their step.
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely. And I always used to say when I was working for the Audy, it's like, that's the Gelong advertised by the way, the local paper of record. It's like without crime and the cats. You know, we're basically a pamphlet.
Speaker 3: I mean it's kind of true. And I mean through the nineties it was strange because we would make Grand finals and lose them, and it was heartbreaking because somehow becoming constantly second makes you feel somewhat worse, like you just like see we will all and Sleepy Hollow was this moniker that people would use and think it was. But I mean in the eighties and guy, you remember, this industry was closing down, like four was closing down, Shell was closing down, Pyramid closed down, and so it was we did cop it, and we copped it pretty hard.
Speaker 2: But Pyramid was a big hit.
Speaker 3: It was a big hit, and the and then so now we've I mean I always saying it, I would prefer to move to Gelng, that I would to the outer suburbs of Melbourne. That it's probably going to take just as long to get into Melbourne anyway. But also we're near the coasts and it's great. Now, yeah, you're right there.
Speaker 2: It did feel for a while Whenjel would always come a second it's like, you know, someone we said, the lesson is never tried, Like what's the fucking point in trying? You know we're never going to win it, so what's the point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember doing ninety five. I remember us losing to Carlton. At halftime, we just went out for kick to kick with mates and then never went back, like why would we keep watching the rest of this game.
Speaker 2: That's my earliest football memory is Patron of the show my uncle Darren, right, he's the one that got me into footy. Right. This memory had a east had remember half Cat, your mascot of the Cats, and a big cardboard cutout of this half Cat. And obviously my uncle hid live through the hard years and it was nine ninety five. They getting smashed by ten goals by Carlton. My memory is of Michael d had to stabbing his cardboard cat to a million pieces like he'd had enough. That's my earliest football memories. A Geelong fans stabbing the mascot to death.
Speaker 3: Well, it was also a time in the football player didn't even want to live in Geelong. Like there were stories of John Barnes who'd go, yeah, we'll come down my training and then I head back up. Oh why would I live there? So it was always that and then you're right, we start winning. I mean when we lost the Grand Final last year, I was I couldn't get tickets luckily in hindsight, and I was with watching it with all friends who are all going for Brisbane because they just hated our success and then they hated me even more when at the end of it, I was like, ah, well, I mean, you know, that's another Grand Final loss. But I've now seen I think seven and we've won three or four and they're like, shat up.
Speaker 2: Yeah we went in a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: We're fine, I know, and so you're right, you kind of get up and about so before.
Speaker 2: We let you go, though, we do ask everybody this question. So it's nineteen ninety eight. Channel ten of asked you to put together a Friday night Simpsons marathon consisting of five episodes. Which episodes are you choosing and why? And which one are you beginning with?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm beginning with this might be Recncy bias because I did watch this with the kids. That the episode I Love Lisa with Ralph Wigham, and I love it because there's so many quotes from it that I just you choose me and all that kind of stuff. But also it's the one with the Krusty's twenty ninth anniversary special, and I still quote that thing when he goes, who's going to remember a sage shell? Rahem? And he's next to this melot of black panther African American guy and Krusty in the seventies, and Krusty goes the scripts that I should hit you over the head with this hammer and says, oh, wouldn't, Ah, I wouldn't. It cuts back to him in the audience and he goes angry, angry young man. That has stuck in my head.
Speaker 2: For so long, and I just is that that, Oh God, this is always dead. Ye My talk to the audience. Our God, there is always death.
Speaker 3: It's always if we can, like Steve, we consist an idiot through the whole thing, which is but like it really it was the first time I remember him really being a feature and being an imbecile. Like they're driving to the to Krusty show and she goes, how did you get the tickets? Yours? He goes, he knows how to play ball. And they're at an actual porno film sit them up there and he goes and he goes, oh god, is this a bust? And he goes, oh, yeah, sure, and he has no idea what's happening?
Speaker 2: I think said nothing at Chocolate Out, like Lisa says, that's not suitable for children really, like my pants are in this version exactly.
Speaker 3: So that's starting with I Love Lisa. I Love Lisa will be the first one. Then I would go with Flaming Mo in that I do love the Flaming Mo episode. It's all about most is lack, which I mean is most Like I've heard this. He's based off a stand up comedian. What is his name? He's an American guy and I've done gigs with him.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, mo is Mo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I think, Hanka Zaria, I'm trying to look it up now. The real life inspiration, Hanka Zaria I said it was Rich Hall.
Speaker 2: So what was the third episode that you would have put on?
Speaker 3: The third would be Homer's Barbershop Quartet.
Speaker 2: Are you a Beatles fan?
Speaker 3: I'm not a I've actually gotten into them in the last year. I picked up a book about John and Paul and then was like, these guys really are good. And then listening to the more un Spotify and things like that. I wasn't growing up and then, but I always like the Barbershop Quartet, just the references, and I mean Barney having his Yoko ono and I'm murdering her. It's a new and experimental places number eight. That's something that lives in my head.
Speaker 2: What does your eyes for?
Speaker 4: A plum in a pool of perfume served in a man's hat?
Speaker 2: Got yeah, I got it. A single plump floating served in a man's hat. Yeah, But what's what's the one where it's a pool? Changes his name? No, no, that's it.
Speaker 4: But you're like Homer, never play on a marquete. Your name is now Homer, your name is now a pooh de bo Marche so disrespectful to my culture of my god.
Speaker 2: But yeah, all right, but what's that Homer says that his name like Homer and the you always say it's the band name that you love.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it's oh no, we're going to be the is it? The most is like experience featuring Homer. Anytime you've got anything featuring someone, it's just I think it's just a great gag. But yeah, the most is like experience featuring Homer.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's correat.
Speaker 2: But yeah, as a Beatles fan, I mean, I wasn't a Beatles fan when I was younger I've got I'm a big Beatles fan now. But the older I got, the more I appreciated episode because I understood all the extras gags. But the episode, again, though, you can enjoy it not being a Beatles fan. That's what's so great about it. And George Harrison has a fantastic guest appearance in it.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: Wow, what a nice fella it was.
Speaker 3: Really it's when it got I mean this in a nice way, it's when the show got really bonkers, Like the storylines weren't just about these family things. It was like when it really got like wow, what are we doing now? And yeah, I love that episode. I think the next one would be Deep Space Homer in broad Wedrus. Yes, that would be incredible.
Speaker 2: I don't know that one is so great. You think the idea of you're talking about the show going wacky by this point home it's literally going to space. Yes, but but they still do it in a way that you just you buy it. When he's on the phone to Mart and he's like, like the time I want to go see mister t down of the Mill, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I got a little longer.
Speaker 2: I got a little longer.
Speaker 3: And then he said, I won't let that happen. I can't let that happen. And I won't let that happen.
Speaker 2: I learned from that. I'm thinking sometimes there's things and I go, ah, I do it to my like, you know what, hom I missed out on seams the tea. I'm not going to let that happen.
Speaker 4: There are two bits I just that I really really love about it. They probably happily win. My favorite Simpsons of moments is when he had the press conference. I don't care where we go as long as I go to that terrible planet of the apes.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, wait the rest of wait a minute, he goes, wait a minute, a minute, there was our planets. It's like in that moment, but we realized that that's us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then the guys like this, this is over. The curtain comes Barney berpsy passes out and drunk.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, just a minute, statue of limity that planet, but also the James Taylor supporting supporting appearance, so good, and when Barney, all, do you respect mister Taylor? This isn't the time of your unique plant?
Speaker 2: Brenda?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 4: Laid back folk rock?
Speaker 3: When Barney obviously trains and he is like unbelievable, he looks incredible. Let's celebrate. And then as soon as he drinks the morphing into him, but it's happening again.
Speaker 4: I don't understand it.
Speaker 3: That was none alcoholic life.
Speaker 2: I think my favor bit is the second comes right after first. Careful they're ruffled, all right? And what would be your final episode for your marathon?
Speaker 3: I'm of the heretic now. I mentioned it before with the poo quotes that my children want me to say out in public, but that one, I think it's just the religious undertones. I think they tackle it so well, and it's I just find a very funny episode just with so many quotables in it. I mean, even a reverend love Joy at the end when he says, see, all religions can help out, and he points out who's helped out and he goes, be it Christian, Jew or miscellaneous, A million of us us love Joe goes, that's silcret, so condescend me.
Speaker 2: But I was just the story of that one too. When you're married with kids, just the idea of getting a Sunday morning to yourself at home, to fucking watch what you want, eat what you want, just chill out. It sounds like heaven.
Speaker 3: Right, yes. And I think also again with my age, my grandmother was Catholic. She was a lovely lady and she would go to church somewhat consistently. And then when she passed away when I was about eleven or twelve, again, when I started The Simpsons, it was like we're all kind of like, we're still doing this, and so there was this thing of like church was a thing, and even my mum was like, oh, you know, maybe we'll go, maybe we won't. So it was always you're trying to weasel out of it. And I completely got where he's coming from because Sunday mornings now it's the one morning in our family life where we're like, no, we're not moving quick, We're not doing stuff. It's going to be fine. The thought of getting dressed up to go to a place that is possibly the most boring of your week is yeah, you do anything to get out of it.
Speaker 4: You know, they have services in the afternoon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, but I just.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 4: I was raised Catholic as well. It's hard to shake that shit.
Speaker 3: It really is, because I mean Australia is fairly secular. I think in this day and age, I mean people go to church. That is fine, but I think back then it really was a thing of like you could see it all slipping from everyone's fingers, like I wis oh yeah, absolutely, all right.
Speaker 2: Well that just wraps up our chat here reviewing Rose. But I thank you so much Day for your time. It's been an absolute pleasure to have you on the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you Dad, guys slicker this, I mean, Detroit came together.
Speaker 2: For this one. I know, right Seattle on the bar and represent exactly and thank you all the best for your tour in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it. Thanks guys,